Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 2: When you're a.
Speaker 1: Guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, your presences, presents, and I already had too much stuff.
Speaker 2: So how do you dare to surbey me? Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Richard Wineger. We're in the backyard. We haven't been in the backyard in a minute, which feels nice, although it's April and it's about eighty degrees and I'm sweating already. What's going on? What's going on? I've started watching Little House on the Prairie two episodes in. I truly don't know why the Ingles family hasn't killed themselves. It's the things these people are going through. It's just too much for me. But I'm going to continue see if it ends up worth them living through the prairie. I don't know what else. We've got The Chicago show coming up May twenty third, the Den Theater. Google it, go to our instagram, find a way to the website, buy a ticket. We're gonna have a fantastic time. Talked about the Little House on the Prairie. Little House in Prairie. It's not the I'm new to the program. I think that's about it. I think, you know, I'm obviously already just kind of rambling here. The school bell is ringing, the children are screaming, let's get into the podcast. I adore today's guest. It's Charles Rogers.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, Charles welcome.
Speaker 2: I said, no, good, thank you.
Speaker 4: Ring.
Speaker 3: I have to get to class. It's been nice.
Speaker 2: So you've been itching to get back to school. Yeah, I had lunch, I have to go. The bell tolling over there. The whole the school feels like they're there for about two days a week. I don't know what the modern elementary school schedule is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just they're all like artists and parents and the children. They're like, we go to Monday Friday school.
Speaker 2: I honestly think that might be what's going on, because I cannot track when the bell will ring. They'll be gone for months, yeah, and not during the summer.
Speaker 3: I kind of can't handle seeing any of it, Like, like, I do want kids one day, I firmly do believe that in my heart of hearts. But then I'll be like these east Side school I'll see like in the cafe in the morning, like parents coming in with their children. They all know each other, and I'm like, these people they're doing nothing wrong, but like they need to burn a house. There's nothing wrong with them. It's actually like the best case in American in a lot of ways. And it's like something about it. I'm like, I can't handle these people something.
Speaker 2: There's something very great about the fact that they even have time to get to the coffee shop.
Speaker 3: They should be stressed, yeah, And they shouldn't know each other, no, no, no, should be trading tips.
Speaker 2: They should be singing like hot to go to their children like all these Yeah. When I see parents pushing their kids around and strollers around here, there's something about it where I'm like.
Speaker 3: Strollers are satanic.
Speaker 2: This feels bad.
Speaker 3: Strollers are the bin her of stroller culture is it's so patriarchal, the way in which like families think that plastic vehicles have precedence over human lives.
Speaker 2: People get very touchy about it.
Speaker 3: They do because they have all their their stuff right day and them, and that there's stuff they identify with their stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, speaking of this, I was I was in Silver like recently at this Korean place, like a Korean fast foodish place, and I was ordering my food and I saw a parent that the kind of parent were talking about, and I thought eating with his son. I just thought, this asshole, well cultural experience. What does he think he is with his and his stupid roads? And then we'll probably beat this.
Speaker 3: But it was okay, that is who uk beep or not. That is who you cast as that character, no matter what. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: I was shocked. I felt all sorts of emotions, and then I thought, well, he's being a good parent. What is my problem?
Speaker 3: Right? And then it's also like, well, what's my career?
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of there's a lot of just jealousy that somebody is able to not only manage their own life, but the life of a child, maybe multiple children.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, it's just having children. I've been thinking about a lot because I'm getting more real about, you know, planting seeds for tomorrow perhaps, And there is just something inherently republican. Please don't play this at the McCarthy trials that inevidently happened in two years, but like there is something republican about a family, Like it's just like instantly, I hate it, Like, but I want it.
Speaker 2: But how many kids do you think you'd want?
Speaker 3: I want to too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like a decent number.
Speaker 3: I want a boy and a girl. Because I'm half man woman, I know how to speak to both.
Speaker 2: Do you have siblings?
Speaker 3: No? Oh wow, wow.
Speaker 2: I've always wondered about the only child experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing. It's a universal.
Speaker 2: I mean anytime I'm home for the holidays or whatever and I'm experiencing and I love my parents, but you know, experiencing their unique behavior sometimes a lot, because I have three siblings, which four children is kind of the baseline for Mormon family. So we're like, my parents just couldn't deal with it. They're weak, They're ultimately weak. But I'm always like, I'm so glad I have another I have other people in my life who understand this exact behavior, like to share this experience, not to brag, yeah, but it's like I just feel like I could not possibly begin to explain exactly what it is to another person, right, And so it's like I'm glad that I can just sit here in silence with a sibling and be like, we know what we're we're witnessing this, right.
Speaker 3: So you just sit in silence with your siblings.
Speaker 2: I mean your family is very quiet.
Speaker 3: If I had siblings, I think we'd be talking.
Speaker 2: No, you'd be very quiet. You'd hate each other.
Speaker 3: It is one thing that's really nice about not having siblings is that I like, as is my family. My dad's gone to heaven. As you would say, let me know if I am speaking your language or not to understand. I just want you to feel safe. But like my parents, I think as characters I can frame as cool. Sure, but then if you have one sibling, that's suddenly not cool. The whole branding's off. Oh I'm just so glad that I never had to be like and then my my like weird realtor cut. Nothing against realtors, but like just something that is just like doesn't uphold the image I'm trying to do.
Speaker 2: You know, really in control of the entire brand.
Speaker 3: Nothing against realtors.
Speaker 2: We love our we love some of them. I'm sure some of them are complete psychos.
Speaker 3: That's true. My uh, that's fair.
Speaker 2: When I bought this house and blessed this woman, but she was out of control and it was during COVID refused to wear a mask. I just would put a little piece of tool over her face, which is so funny.
Speaker 3: It was like a scarf made of very thin you know. Cool, just probably worse than not wearing anything at all. Probably how COVID started. An infected piece of tool blows off the wind lab graded tool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was someone who was like she had The nineties were big for her. She probably Cameron Candace Cameron Burr. We love our Candace Camerons.
Speaker 3: Some of them are psychos, some of them were normal.
Speaker 2: Oh for Candice and Kirk to become a real reality take that could still be in the cards. I think that that probably is definitely in the cars.
Speaker 3: She now not to jump around, but she now there's a Christian network coming. Oh is she in charge that we're all going to work for soon? Honestly, I know she's in charge. But there's like four faces. Two of them I don't I have no context for One of them is her and then another one is Mario Lopez. And I into it somewhere like in an airport or something, and I was like, what is this called? Like it's also like under the radar, Like it's not like Faith TV. It's something like cherish or just some where it's more family vision, right, Bloodshed.
Speaker 4: I think it's called The Great American Family?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it called that? No, that's a show. I think I think American's called something like it's like a network, it's a streamer. I think it's a Christian streamer. Is it? Like? I didn't mean to say no, I feel I know it's triggering for me.
Speaker 2: I'm is like pure. I'm very curious because then there's also going to be the Chick fil A network, right that I believe is Chick fil A is just like this is no, just like Twitter culture. I feel like Twitter has kind of just like forced these things into reality. Just that horrible culture had somehow opened a door where now Chick fil A literally can have.
Speaker 3: What you what you think manifests or something like that.
Speaker 2: And you know, the television industry is obviously healthier than ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's doing great. Or for Natalia Grace.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, don't get me started on Natalia Grace, that documentary series, at least the one on Max I. I had to stop halfway through the episode and I was so curious.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it. I said, you know, I support everyone involved, but just the idea of more in the same way that like Tiger King or something where it's. The weird thing about Natalia Grace is that like no one can remember if she's good or bad or the actual we've all seen it, and we're all like and we all know if she's the devil, like we didn't like we didn't remember the lesson.
Speaker 2: There's really no clear answer. And like I've complained about it on this podcast before and listeners have like tried to point out what's happening, and they all have a different story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one's we've all met her, we've all taken in general for TV.
Speaker 2: Is probably the name of the.
Speaker 3: Race.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I would love to just find out her real age. And I don't think we're ever going to.
Speaker 3: It's probably thirty seven.
Speaker 2: It's just like me, you career wise, did you ever see the orphan? I did when it came out right, And so again, this is one of these things that's deeply unclear. Was that inspired by Italia Grace?
Speaker 3: Well so, I think if I remember correctly, the parents did claim watch me be sued for this, but nothing I can't handle. But they claimed situations that were kind of based off of the movie. So I cus, that's wild. I think that's the whole thing was that they were like and then like when the investigation got into it, there like scenes were like she was standing over them with a knife and like, but they're like that happened in that movie Orphan.
Speaker 2: Both of the parents time to have fallen through an ice ice in a pond. Wow, I had no And now that I'm saying that, I'm thinking, is that the good Son with Macaulay Culkin, Right, someone falls the seed?
Speaker 3: There is a lot of love. I just recently watched I loved it as a kid. I remember I remember thinking it's great, it's fascinating, I should watch it.
Speaker 2: An evil little girl and everyone seems to know she's evil and kind of do nothing about it. Just killing people.
Speaker 3: What can you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, Natalia Grace, she's a good example. What can you do? She's out there, probably has a new docu series.
Speaker 3: Probably she's probably like giving people makeovers across America forever youthful, She's getting everyone addresses like twelve year old.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I guess I'll just that'll be a mystery for me forever, because I've tried looking into it. I've complained about it on my podcast hundreds of times. People are tired of me talking about it.
Speaker 3: Oh did I bring up something that? I mean, I've listened to your podcast a lot, but I don't remember this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've probably mentioned it a couple of times, but it's you know, I mentioned something on this once and I think people are people want me to stop talking.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's how it did not mean to do that to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: What do you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: I want to talk about Italian grace, to be honest. Okay, okay, great, I want to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: And then there's the you know, like the narrative version of it, right right, which is is that the great American family?
Speaker 3: That's what I'm seeking. That's good America.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's good American family. The streaming service is great America.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to tell you know. Okay, that's crazy. It's like the Great American cookie, but a family.
Speaker 2: And wait, and then is there is a trick fil a network? Yes?
Speaker 4: No, promoting family friendly content?
Speaker 3: Really? Yeah, that's not real, is it? That's just like an app? And then there's press releases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I wonder if it'll like only get to that stage and then they've like won't be able to come up with the original content. Right, it's just going to be cow Ai the cows. I've had it with the cows. But this all goes back to I can't believe Mario Lopez is involved.
Speaker 3: Yes, And my one and only Mario Lopez sighting I've ever had was back to Universal Studios as a theme. I was going into Universal and he was shooting I guess Entertainment Tonight.
Speaker 2: Access Hollywood.
Speaker 3: And then oh, he had a broken leg and it was he was hosting like full pro Mario Lopez, and his leg was broken and hoisted on like a little barstool off camera. But he was just being like Access Hollywood coming at you like a full broken leg off camera. It was like right in front of the Universal ball. It was a it's a it was a very like perfect la moment.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they had let the viewer in on the fact that his leg was broken or they're like that.
Speaker 3: We have to maintain. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Mario's perfect, always standing, He's always perfect. I had a similar sighting at the Grove that he used to host it at the grove. Oh right, And I should say, you know, for legal reasons, I'm not sure that it was Mario Lopez on a golf cart yelling at someone. But I saw someone who looked like Mario Lopez on a golf cart yelling at.
Speaker 3: My golf cart at the grove.
Speaker 2: At the grove, I guess he wanted to be guarded around his shape.
Speaker 3: He's like, rather be golfing. Yeah, I was that.
Speaker 2: Certainly, you don't need to be like driven around that place. It's about the size of a block.
Speaker 3: There is something about ninety celebrity though, where you you do want to see them be golf cart right, like it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're royalty, they deserve they shouldn't have to do any extra work. Yeah, they're that level of royalty when they're hosting outside of the Nike store.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I don't really need him to I don't need him to be anything. So, but I do think the happier you are, the more rageful, right, probably, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Seems like a rage built in there. Yeah, I just I needed him to be kind of a net neutral and now the fact that he's in the involved with this network, it feels like we're pushing in a direction.
Speaker 3: I mean everyone is. I guess there's nothing I don't even know anymore like I used to. You know, it used to be so like can you believe who they voted for? And now it's sort of like, well, I get it. This is how it works. We're like we're all slowly like eroding and just being like, yeah, yeah, I could be maga for sure, like if like if the clothes were cuter or something that's.
Speaker 2: One thing holding you back better or something. Wow, Mari and Kansas, did you watch any of those shows growing up? I watched Full House? Okay, ma too.
Speaker 3: I watched Full House in this very dissociated way where I wasn't even sure if I liked it, but it was it was. There was a xanax quality too.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was just something that I would do once a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as an opportunity to see girls when you.
Speaker 2: Were right, Yeah, see them like smoking and doing their.
Speaker 3: Next Kimmy though surprise she didn't she if she had left the planet, I wouldn't have held it against her after that role like she she's strong. Like her holding was that she had stinky, stinky ass feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her feet smoke, and the whole family was like, go to have family.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine coming over every day and just trying to damn it, you're fucking filthy.
Speaker 2: My parents won't let me bathe. There's something dark going on in my house and you don't even welcome me. Yeah, I know your home every day again, tough. That was a we've kind of fallen by the way the like the abusing the neighbor child has fallen by the wayside.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: It's like they can come over and just be part of the family now, right.
Speaker 3: And sneaking around. I think I don't know if that. I don't know what youth culture is now. I don't know if they have shows or not. That's true, if they have shows at all, well, it is interesting that whole like younger generations are not encouraged to tell stories on any level. Right, So, I don't know where it's at.
Speaker 2: You we're headed with that.
Speaker 3: Everyone's just talking like everyone is just expressing a vibe for a minute, like the in their immediate surroundings.
Speaker 2: And it's not like there's no forward movement or anything. It's just that I went I went to this cool little spot, yeah, and had a muffin or whatever.
Speaker 3: Exactly, or it's a hot take, and then everyone's like and then everyone comes tries to kill you.
Speaker 2: I feel like, I mean, eventually people will be doing so little. How are you even going to develop a hot take?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a weird time because everyone everything now is a hot take. But like it's actually there's nothing else, like even down to like Mike White like talking about the composer and it's like he was like, everything is just it sounds complex, and I do. I do worship at the altar of Mike White. Of course, I almost like don't want to be gray about how I portray, but I do. It does sound it sounds complex. It sounds like both It sounds like both parties were maybe difficult with each other.
Speaker 2: Right, but you know, and then I'm sure there were a million takes on each of them.
Speaker 3: Totally and the work and also like they've been validated so much. Something happens. I'm not talking about Mike White, but in general, something happens when people are validated too much. Oh yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean it's a it's they're given a free pass.
Speaker 3: In the eyes change. Yeah, there's a possession I've had this. There's a rubric of possession, devil possession that I've created with friends and and it's very real in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I see it, you know it. Yeah, I'm sure we've even to.
Speaker 3: The best of us too. So the people the weirdest thing. And I won't name names, but like, there are people who we rally around and that were always like I love them, No, they finally got their thing, and then the overexposure changes them and you're like, I can't even of course.
Speaker 2: And then we're doing an architectural Digest tour or something, or we're doing the Vogue seventy three questions. Yeah, and we are watching a soulless body move around their.
Speaker 3: House and not every road can lead back to fashion. Oh, that's what's crazy.
Speaker 2: This is the weirdest thing that's happened, especially within comedy.
Speaker 3: It's it's kind of scary that, like the bottom line is that our God is fashion and that we're all working under like belief systems until we get to the God.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's all your everything that you thought you were working for is now well you get there, But that's only to get to fashion. Yeah, to be to be Paris. Yes, and character actors are dead. Oh, absolutely, forget it. They.
Speaker 3: I mean that I know so many incredible character actors that deserve to be famous. But but that's not the way it works anymore.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: They might get a like a non named character on a show, right.
Speaker 3: It's very dark for like a guest star. And then you've got like Chris Pratt or like Who's a Quiet Place John krasinskih Krasinsky, where that's also a very family Republican yea.
Speaker 2: Something daughter son, like whatever that is is. There's something simmering with both of those men.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think especially with Pratt.
Speaker 3: To get hot too, it's like you go like there's something very of the moment. To go from being like a Putts or a dud to then being like a macho g I. Joe is actually really bad. It's like there's something really dark happening.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you start with these people who were hired for the office to look as averages.
Speaker 3: Bar to be relatable, to be like that's like the silliest side of me, and then now it's like, actually that's why I want to be It's like I want their body, yeah, and something vulnerable. That's good.
Speaker 2: We don't know what they think or feel at all at any point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's an example.
Speaker 3: Of all of that whatever that's, whatever that is with men, that's something that's happening right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like the office is kind of like a Grimlin situation where they started as and now they've all become full like the Grimlin with the lipstick and ear rings, and we want to be that Wow Grimlin's okay. Well, I feel like there's something else we should talk about. Not that I want to, not that I want to spoil my day, but it feels like the cracks are there, we might as well just look directly at it. The podcast is called I Said No Gifts, And from from what I understand, you have at least heard the title of the podcast. You've probably seen an email or two.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: So I was honestly floored when you came just kind of cruising through my backyard holding what could not more clearly be a gift.
Speaker 3: Look, I had to do it.
Speaker 2: Back against the wall. I appreciation for you in our history are rich. Okay, Well, I mean it's here, you're here, yeah, okay, it's in this, it's behind you. And I've put in the work.
Speaker 3: You even feel anything anymore? When you when you say this, Yes you do. That's the shocking thing to me. It's like a play.
Speaker 2: The fact that I still feel something while recording this podcast. Yeah, choices the biggest miracle of my life. I mean we've done hundreds. Yeah, and most people at this point, I feel like, would be completely numb. And I'm numb in every other area of my life. Right, what's happening?
Speaker 3: You know? I wasn't gonna push, but I really.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll give you. Okay, there's actually one thing. It is just genuinely like a real gift because I think it's this is actually just something for you.
Speaker 2: This is in a cold sack, a cold sack. Okay, that's a good crinkle. Yeah, pulling this out, I just got some air.
Speaker 3: You know. This is an incredible case. It looks nice on the counter. Oh, you didn't have to buy it for yourself.
Speaker 2: This is the dream because yeah, I certainly would never buy this to actually wash dishes.
Speaker 3: Right, well, you know what, I have it, and now you did too.
Speaker 2: You know, I just wouldn't. I don't feel like I'm worthy of that purchase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand like, I'll just buy the dog. I mean, you might not be, but I got it for you anyway. It smells so good. It's nice, this is lovely, it's nice. I started taking fragrance making classes. I have a dream of being oh my god, i was at a party a few weeks ago and I'm very drunken. I just have a memory of drunkenly turning around to like a group of people I just and being like, it's official, I'm starting a fragrance line in twenty twenty six, Like everyone being like who. Like I woke up next morning and be like, oh my god, but I'm learning a lot about fragrance. And in a bottle of perfume, they say that there is never there's rarely more than ten dollars worth of of like material.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing. And then the rest is alcohol and water.
Speaker 3: And spit and spit tears.
Speaker 2: Just whatever they find on the factory floor. Yeah, well, how long have you been taking the class.
Speaker 3: I've been taking them for like a few months, since since the summer, I've been taking them. Yeah, eventually. But the more I learned, the more I'm like, whatever, I don't know. That's how I feel about every hobby, you're numb to it. I'm not. Yeah, more you're getting into something, the more you have to do and that of course. I took sailing lessons a couple of years ago, and the boy scout, I know, I felt, I felt, I felt like a man in moments, and uh, and the more I got into it, like you're out there all day with like people named like Margaret Vansha and you don't know them because like you have to take them with like and that's like she this is a I changed her first name, not her last name, but she did somebody. She was a cocktail waitress at a big hotel in Santa Monica. So you're like there with like random people and then it was fun at first, and then you get into like like the boat, like the battery or like the toilets, and then I was like, I don't care. Why would you.
Speaker 2: Ever gotten to know? Yeah, the battery, I didn't even understand it was a battery.
Speaker 3: And one there's a battery. There's a Duris hall.
Speaker 2: Is that for like an emergency motor or something you have to have, like.
Speaker 3: A PA system, you have to have whatever. Well, so if you're going to teach.
Speaker 2: Wow, I had no idea, and now I know too much about sale. Yeah, I didn't want to know any of them.
Speaker 3: A one oh one of any hobby is great, and then a one o two is like, oh this sucks. Right.
Speaker 2: This was just to kill time and now it's taking over my I'm closer to that. How did you find out about this fragrance making class?
Speaker 3: I went to some sort of like fair thing and there's a woman there who had made her own fragrances, and I was like, how did you learn this? And she told me the school and I just started going, wow, So what.
Speaker 2: Does it require? Like you go to class and are you like learning the chemistry of all of these things or is it just like mix different bottles together?
Speaker 3: You can go either way, Like, if you're going to do it for real, then you have to then you should have been a chemist from day one. So but if you're going to just be like a brand bitch, like you whatever you want, but it is it isn't. What's weird about it is that it is an invisible art and and like you can really, I can really. It brought out a sense of self doubt that I have as a runner in my life, where people are like, I smell lime, and then I was like, I'm so stupid. I'm not good at anything, Like I don't smell lime. And then someone's like, I don't smell lime, and I'm like, that's true, I don't smell It's like it is it brings out something where you really gaslight yourself about the.
Speaker 2: Truth of Yeah, I have a really bad sense of smell, so I feel like this would be my ultimate nightmare. Yeah, and then I also am a joiner, so I'd just be like I would just agree with whoever's talking about the smell, right, and then I would learn nothing and create garbage.
Speaker 3: Right, You're useless.
Speaker 2: I'm a useless in any capacity, So like, what's the end goal? Is to create your own fragrance within the class.
Speaker 3: It's whatever you want. And it's very like there's no accreditation and people just drop out. And I've never like seen the same person twice really, so you've really kept it's workshoppy because there's nothing, there's no real way to do this. So I don't know I have I have a goal. I just feel like we all need to have like side jobs.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's probably a good idea. I don't know if fragrance is the right, but now you've got the knowledge.
Speaker 3: I know by the time my company has ve been going, and it's like we're going to be in like the next great depression. I'm going to be like, but this rubarb.
Speaker 2: Each week? Do you create a different scent or what happens?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I feel like we should just move on. I want to know I can't go regularly.
Speaker 5: The more.
Speaker 3: Exposed out to enu as my relationship to this holding is.
Speaker 2: Do you wear any fragrances?
Speaker 3: I do all that. Okay, okay, what fragrances are you wearing right now? I'm wearing Joe Malone, Pnocchi and cedar wood.
Speaker 2: It's really wozy, and.
Speaker 3: Also something called B d K Greece Arnelle. It's like, there's a place called Scent Bar in La there's two of them out It's like a little mini moment of fragrance and you just go, it's amazing, where is it. There's one downtown and then there's one like really close to the grove, but it's it's like you go in and you're just like, I like like incensey smells, and they're like, isn't this one wonderful.
Speaker 2: Is there any like scent that you hate that you wouldn't wear?
Speaker 3: I really struggle with like ood and musks is like a fermented wood. It's very It's popular in like South Asia, but it's like in the Middle East, but it's it's really pungent and it's hard. Like that's the thing that fragrances are. Also like wine culture, where like the more sophisticated you are, the more open you are to like, you know, not just nice thing, right, you want the hardest And I'm just like a basic person, right right. Unfortunately, Well, I don't know if I've ever smelled an oode. Let's go, thank you? Does this does have a generator? These mics?
Speaker 2: Get in the car?
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's for you.
Speaker 2: Let's I'm so thrilled about this. And I just ran out of soap, to be honest, So here we go. We go again, Okay, let's get back into the bag.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Does it matter what order these come out?
Speaker 3: And not really? I think no, I think, oh, actually, let's do this first. Right.
Speaker 2: They're beautifully wrapped in kind of a confetti style wrapping paper.
Speaker 3: Well, every day, every day should feel like a party.
Speaker 2: You've always said.
Speaker 3: My darkest times.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, Matt like a face mask.
Speaker 3: Little yeah, little animal masks.
Speaker 2: And they're cheetah colored or animals. These are full like almost Halloween costume level because the other side has unicorn and they're made from Alaska glacier water, which I refuse to believe does it?
Speaker 3: Say yes, Wow, there's no chance. There's no chance there is.
Speaker 2: I mean you can anybody can call a glacier water if you want water. You know, it's traveling around the world. It's getting sucked up into clouds and taken elsewhere. So who knows. Also has fruit extract, but they don't tell you which fruit. Yeah, this feels like a allergen. Where did you get these?
Speaker 3: Amazon? And has this wonderful little store online.
Speaker 2: This funky little sht to try it.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Do you ever use this type of mask?
Speaker 3: No? No, have you ever? I have. I've done it, like you know, in girly moments with rights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always Uh. I feel like it is the sort of thing that if you're gonna get results, you have to do it regularly.
Speaker 3: I don't think these work, to be honest, there's no way there's an eight year old girls party that which came first. Yeah, so I like, I've tried them once or twice and I never mind it. But it is a thing where you're kind of stuck wearing it. Yeah, I can't quite live your life. Maybe you'd want to wear them on the show.
Speaker 2: I don't know, should wear one right now? Do you want to wear one as well?
Speaker 3: I'll wear one with you. Okay, it'll it'll work better on you because you don't have a tear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I was curious about that. Now I'm gonna give you a choice. We have a cheetah, Panda Loma, mermaid.
Speaker 3: What do you want? What do you want?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to see what the mermaid looks like. Well, this doesn't make any sense. That's almost nothing. And then a unicorn. I think I'm gonna go with. I think I'm gonna go fold with a cheetah.
Speaker 3: The cheatah is cue, what do you want? My god? The mermaid is really dumb. I think I want to know. I want to be sexy if we're going out like this club after the water, okay, god knows I am. Oh.
Speaker 2: Well, these are sopping wet. This is the wettest mask.
Speaker 3: I ordered them extra wet. I called Jeff Bezos and I said, yeah, I said, hold on, I know you're loading women into a spaceship, but I want these masks sweat. Look what they really are? Okay, oh my god? Oh and soapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think this is different.
Speaker 3: Sorry, thank you for doing that. This is more air Wars. Now.
Speaker 2: The video of this is horror.
Speaker 3: My god.
Speaker 2: Now I'm wearing a mask listener, and I can't possibly imagine what I.
Speaker 3: Look like right now. It smells like a car wash.
Speaker 2: I feel like bank robbery and heist movies. They're always like trying to find the next like what weird masks will the person be wearing? And I feel like this is not the worst idea, you know, like in the town they wore the non masks.
Speaker 3: My god, I don't even know what you're talking about. Is what is that like a Mark Walbert movie.
Speaker 2: It's a probably it's a set in Boston, for sure, he's got to be in it. But at some point people wear kind of a I don't even know where they got these frightening noun masks because what retailer is selling this clearly frightening? Wow, this is I gotta stretch it.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to see what we look like after this full mentality. Grace.
Speaker 3: You look like this has just become your truth.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've revealed my full self at last.
Speaker 3: I kind of see it. I get it.
Speaker 2: Oh, do you have any sort of skincare routine?
Speaker 3: No? I do. The only consistent compliment I get in my life is my skin.
Speaker 2: You've got great skin, but you do nothing.
Speaker 3: I do nothing, but I do. I do think. I just drink a lot of water naturally. Sure. Sure, I'm like a very compuls person, and so drinking water is just it's just something to compulsively do.
Speaker 2: It's such an easy habit to have. Yeah, unless you die of water poisoning or something such.
Speaker 3: As possible well alask in glacier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that is kind of the secret of skincare is do is don't do that much. Yeah, I think people are doing like these just like getting in my mouth. People are doing these fifty step routines. Yes, and what results are they really getting? Yeah? Meanwhile, you're walking around new as a baby and you're doing nothing.
Speaker 3: I do sleep eight hours. The one thing for all of my insanity that I have going on upstairs.
Speaker 2: Like, I do sleep. You sleep pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been very lucky with that.
Speaker 2: Are you a person as soon as you get in bed you're falling asleep?
Speaker 3: Or do you lie there for a while. I I usually am suddenly like no, I'm ready to go to sleep. IH like wow, I mean, I look at my phone. Unfortunately, I need to get out of that habit. But I actually have God, do you want an exclusive? I've debated. I'm thinking about this now. Okay, So I've debated posting about this for a while because it just is so humiliating and tragic. But I got one of those sleep apps that like tells you if you like like toss and turn yes, yes, yes, and it records you. And I said something, this is like two years old, and I like almost posted it, and then I was like, no, I'm scared because I just seem like a terrible human.
Speaker 2: But hold on, I cannot wait.
Speaker 3: I can probably find it. It's so like it tells you if you like talk in your sleep, and right, okay, it's taken. Okay, So I woke up to hearing myself say this. There's two parts to it, so like, so you're gonna hear the first part and don't don't start talking because you'll miss the second.
Speaker 2: Okay, I cannot wait.
Speaker 5: You loser, do you remember what you're dreaming about?
Speaker 3: It took me. I heard it like mid day, and I was like what I felt? All my heart broken for myself and for whoever. I was like, I think I do know who I was talking about, because I had a really long dream about a situation in a group of people, and I do think it was connected to that. It was me who was last night.
Speaker 2: But it's just like, it's like fuck you, It's like losers.
Speaker 3: It's like the saddest. It made me so sad.
Speaker 2: That's a very like walking away from a group that's been just been making fun of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I which they probably were. I think I was justified, just.
Speaker 2: Your head hanging, just feeling absolutely terrible. I'm curious. I have to imagine. I I talk in my sleep. I did a lot as a kid, and I did a lot of sleepwalking. So I should get one of these. It just does it record all night?
Speaker 3: Or is it?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this mask?
Speaker 3: I know it's sort of if you want to take it off, I think it probably thank you for you got what you did and now we're so Dowy. It's disgusting. I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I did sleepwalk a lot as a kid, but as as I I think I grew out of it, but I think I'm getting back into it.
Speaker 3: Which you just like walked throughout the house. What would you do?
Speaker 2: I would walk through the house. I would At one point there were.
Speaker 3: Two birds, one stone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wake up in your eye watcher watch. There was one point, and this was a scary one. I walked into my stupwalk into my parents room and sat down with him and just started laughing and just was laughing and they didn't. Yeah, totally Italian grace. And then there was one point when I went and you I walked stupwalk into their back room. It just sat on it and peede.
Speaker 3: Really nasty, nasty little pig. Nasty little Mormon pig. Get out. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I get those kids to la. It is weird when your body does kind of like, at least practical things with sleepwalking in to CBS, just get all of your errands done for the day. Do you know if you've ever slept walk?
Speaker 3: I don't think I have. Yeah, I barely. I think that that amount of speaking is probably the most think Yeah, I have a sleep paralysis a lot. You do, I do?
Speaker 2: Is it horrifying?
Speaker 3: It is? It sucks now I know what it is. So, I mean I've had it since I was like sixteen, probably, but it happens consistently on planes, okay, and trains and.
Speaker 2: Cars the worst places to have it happened the worst.
Speaker 3: And I have been in like a middle seat before on a plane. And there's a thing when have you ever had it? No?
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: So like there's you're awake but asleep and you're locked in, and there's like little things that are common where like you try and like wiggle your finger and you're like if I can wiggle my finger, I can wiggle my whole arm and then I can like snap out and you're just like moving like and it feels like you're trying to like push a boulder uphill to get out of this like lock in. And I've like fully like had like like I've like snapped out of it like in a middle seat before and been like it's like the most embarrassing, Like.
Speaker 2: This does remind me, Uh, where was I traveling? I was on a plane in a couple of months ago and I fell asleep and I woke up doing this.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're doing the wave, I guess.
Speaker 2: So, I guess that's kind of similar. But it wasn't that you didn't start from paralysis. I just started from some frightening dream or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, it really is. And then you can't really parents related, yes, but yeah you can't really explain to your seat uh fellows.
Speaker 3: People, your seat, husband set, your wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then I just have to sit there like everything's normal, which is such a bizarre.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the first time you had sleep paralysis?
Speaker 3: I remember the first time that was really crazy, which was in college. I was sleeping in and a regular sleep patterns also can contribute it to us, so I'm sure I was just like college, sleeping until like eleven or something stupid with my college boyfriend, and I suddenly was like locked in, and I was like, okay, I'm gonna roll myself off the bed, and you have like stupid logic like that where you're like, I can do it, I can roll myself off. And then finally I actually did roll myself off, and when I hit the ground, I woke up and I turned to him and I started telling him like, oh, my god, I just had sleeprouses. And then he started turning into my roommate like before my eyes my freshman year dorm, and I was like, oh, I'm still in it. And then I was back in like the same lot. And so that was lucid dreaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah, wow what a like combo.
Speaker 3: It was full Like Christopher Nolan likes like.
Speaker 2: No, wow, that's really fascinating. I would love to be able to lucid dream. I can't do that. I've never done it before. Yeah, but sleep paralysis, I mean even if I wake up with my arm asleep, the panic I go through.
Speaker 3: I do that all the time. My arms are constantly.
Speaker 2: I want to hear this. It's a recent thing for me.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, what do you feel when you try to get the when you wake up in your arms asleep and you try to do you flail, I'll get the blood back. And when you can't lift your torso up with your arm, do you take your other arm and raise your body up? This is no one's ever discussed this.
Speaker 2: It's yeah. And every time my thinking is, oh, this is the time that I've.
Speaker 3: You snap it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know.
Speaker 3: Every time I'm like, and no.
Speaker 2: It's finally going to happen, and I had and I didn't do anything wrong. This is just happening to me.
Speaker 3: You know you're gay if you wake up in the middle of the night and you're scared that you're gonna snap your arms off by twisting and turning. Yeah, I think it happens probably once a week to me. Now, same what's happening with my body that this is a new We should be able to take our arms off before bad.
Speaker 2: They're not necessary for sleeping.
Speaker 3: They're not necessary. Similarly, I think that we should all take our teeth out early because it's a net loss game. You started zero and you only go down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really do? What what age do you think we should get our teeth out?
Speaker 3: I think what what's when you say your first word coquence? A real dose for how life works?
Speaker 2: I think I do feel like we're at a point technologically and within the medical field and the dental field that that should just be like what everyone just we.
Speaker 3: Need to come full circle back to George Washington.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just get them out, get things that you can, like put in.
Speaker 3: The dishwasher, or you put your teeth in the dishwasher.
Speaker 2: And wash them with so something that every night you just take out and put in a you know, with the freezy little tablet, and then put them in the next morning. I agree, you know, I don't understand what's because they're just a health hazard.
Speaker 3: We just eat softer food. You don't mean if we just had a soft food industry then everything would be it's.
Speaker 2: Just kind of a soup based co Yeah. No, I'm on board with having all of our teeth removed. I don't see the point in keeping them.
Speaker 3: No, and they're not actually sexy, No, they're very all We just we've created ideologies around teeth to begin and that Amy Lou woman, it's certainly breaking down barriers.
Speaker 2: She is breaking. I love the stories about her because it's like she is a stunningly beautiful person.
Speaker 3: She's so gorgeous, and I love her. I actually do love her teeth, and it's important. I think it's important to like glitches and the matrix are important.
Speaker 2: Yes, things like that's just that person's teeth. Yeah, but every news article is like this mutant has crawled out of the sewer to break.
Speaker 3: Barrier, to fight all odds. It's like, we'll give her one chance and then we'll let her sail away. Although I did see some like she was in a production of Cabaret in the UK as like the mc no, it's tellibles and she looks very like raggedy and in a really good way, I want, I think, and.
Speaker 2: You feel like the teeth contributed to this for sure? Wow, So she can really go in any direction, any direction where the teeth can be like that teeth Forward productions.
Speaker 3: Uh no, I bond girl? Oh interesting, isn't there like a dental bond that there's like a pun in there? Oh?
Speaker 2: There is absolutely What is a dental bond? Is that for your dent?
Speaker 3: There's like a tube of toothpaste in the section with bond in it.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about. I think it's called it's not dental bond, is it.
Speaker 3: It's like they're gonna be like Great American Family and then we have to just like believe you again.
Speaker 2: We find out that computer is just broken.
Speaker 3: It's owned by Great American Family.
Speaker 4: I mean, I see dent gold gold bond is what you're thinking about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a yeah, wait what is gold bond?
Speaker 3: Who are you talking to you? Over there?
Speaker 2: You know from everyone else, there's a man there's a shadow standing CEO of gold.
Speaker 3: Bonds Ghost body powder. There is people.
Speaker 2: Do you do that the powder?
Speaker 3: I do feel no offense. I do feel a paler person was more likely to do this. That is I'm deep. I'm not saying you, but what like is it?
Speaker 2: Did they use it in?
Speaker 3: Uh? Everywhere? There's nastywhere these little fuckers.
Speaker 2: I guess it's for a very damp person. I guess, so you've got to really dry out the use these masks.
Speaker 3: You got to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never done the powder.
Speaker 3: Neither vibe, but I do feel like I don't know your practices, but I do feel like grinder. I don't know, Like you could imagine walking into someone's house and then discovering that they're like a gold bond, like you never know, it's all over the couch, like I can't turn back now, and they're like, I didn't agree to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a It feels like something that is from another time. But they're like people probably pockets of the country. They're so gold bonds. And then there's gold bog families and people who have adopted it late in life as some sort of fetish and they love just a powdery experience, which I'm not on board with.
Speaker 3: The powder culture is disgusting and it's crazy and it's not necessary.
Speaker 2: Powder culture really is. It's kind of like upper room of the saloon, just kind of like, yeah, you're masking so many things that you should have just washed off.
Speaker 3: Or yes, that's true and that I understand. But I do think there's something about it that's like, well, I mean, we're all babies, and it's just like, no, we're not.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's something real weird about it, like no one said we're babies. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm strictly a deode rent stick. Yeah you've done a dealdant spray. I think I've like shared someone's okay, Yeah, I don't know that when you can share.
Speaker 2: I thought, oh, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't. I only really sweat and smell if I'm working out, and I'm not like a sweaty smell, right, and so so you're not a daily deodorant person. I try not to be. Wow, I'm trying. I am, like, but I really love to feel clean and I love like little rituals and so I do like to do it. But I'm actually thinking i'm going to stop. And so I'm I'm weaning right now for health reasons. Yeah, I just I mean, like think about it, Like, why are we caking something into our crevice? Right? I can't be right. It's just like literally asking we're asking it to be absorbed. It's not going anywhere. Yeah, one place to the neighbor, the pits of the neighbors do the heart.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so scared now. But I would rather have people happy with me than be medically safe. Because have you ever read Codependancy?
Speaker 3: No more? I need to. It's really good.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be I'm afraid it's gonna be two eye opening for me.
Speaker 3: So and and but okay, in that case, what is the point of.
Speaker 2: Life to feel myself from anything?
Speaker 3: Wow? Sort of growth through you. You're one of the few people that will admit it, who actually says it.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's time for me to read it. But what if it shifts everything?
Speaker 3: I mean it could, but I think yeah it could. I it made me see a lot of stuff. But it's it's I like her her vibe. She's like it's old school. It's like the first seminal codependency books and and so it's a lot of it's about alcoholism, because like that's all they thought it was ely twenties and then but like she gives example, she's like she's got like a voice sort of like I like this. Yeah, you actually kind of like her, Like she's kind of funny too, And she's like, say, your son's a shopaholic and he says, Mom, I'm going to shop till I drop and you go back upstairs and you and the mother like it's just like the most crazy specific Yeah, it's these situations that you're like.
Speaker 2: What, wait, what's her name?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 2: I don't I can't put it on the spot with author. Yeah, well okay, I'm gonna get into that.
Speaker 4: Is that Melody Beady?
Speaker 2: Incredible name.
Speaker 3: She's great, she's very likable. But it's all it's like, say your husband throws you down the stairs, steals your corvette and doesn't show back up for two months. Are you going to let him back in? This is literally exactly what she sounds like. I'm getting it, really, I'm getting really good.
Speaker 2: Well, at least to get the keys to my corvette. All right, Yeah, okay we have There are obviously other things in here, I've got to that's say Okay, now this is more of a tube shaped object.
Speaker 3: Don't get your host out. It's not a tube.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a T shirt, a T shirt.
Speaker 3: This is I am afraid of what I found it on Amazon. I used that's what I wanted to no, because I am afraid of women. It's like that's very gay, yes, but then it's also for what, like.
Speaker 2: Like what is who's wearing it? Like a like a bro in Vegas?
Speaker 3: Like who is it for?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't know because obviously contextually it's going to mean all sorts of different things on the person and what environment they're in. If I were to be wearing this, what am I? What am I trying to say?
Speaker 3: Well, let's find o.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna wear this on an episode of What Would You Do? And it'll just be a man wearing this shirt? What would you do with this?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Wow, this is a fascinating thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I actually Amazon. I searched your name in Amazon. I'm not kidding, I'm not getting And then so I found a shirt that said god it said I am Bridger doing Bridger things literally like if you Amazon your name, it's like the boy, it's like I was like, do I get that? And then I was like I hate it, Like I hate I am bridger to it. I just didn't like the sound saying it coming. Yes, And so then when I clicked on that, it was like you might also like and it led to the shirt and I was like, oh, this is like a natural path. Wow, this is this must be a whole industry.
Speaker 2: I there's some sort of bot or something that's just literally throwing words together that could be tied into Amazon and the search results.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an interesting expression of misogyny because it's giving women power over the wearer. Yes, So I don't fully get it, Like I'm a little bit like who is who is what straight man out there who like wants to like hand it to women on a T shirt is also being like because I'm lesser than you, I don't understand it. Personality type of you could pause. It's a dangerous person, a very dangerous person. You're right, no matter who wears it, Like.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how you would operate in the world walking around in this. No one is going to treat you in any way you want them to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one's going to give you the power in any exchange. It's anyway you can throw that away as eighteen dollars. I could have used a fascinating towards therapy.
Speaker 2: I would love to see one person I would love to meet an interview if you, if you already own this product, reach out to the podcast and we'll interview you. Try to get to the bottom of your behavior in your lifestyle, because yeah, I just don't know. At least you have any guesses.
Speaker 3: I have two guesses. I have two guesses.
Speaker 4: One is like a group of like a toxic and male friend group, Like they're going out to Vegas and they put that on like the weakest.
Speaker 3: Link you can't get.
Speaker 4: A girl or a lesbian, a little he's afraid of would wear that to the club and be like, please just hit on me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think lesbian. I think now I feel ashamed for not having opened the lesbian door of possibility. I do think that there's also like an Orlando lesbian who would wear it too.
Speaker 2: Like the nightmare is that your house is on fire. You're not wearing anything, and you're like, just grab a shirt. You're surrounded by firefighters and the neighbors, right.
Speaker 3: And they're all women and no one's helping you, and you burn alive. It's a good short film.
Speaker 2: I love it. I can't wait to find an opportunity to wear this wonderful Okay, and now finally there's I'm touching the mask. It's getting my arm wet.
Speaker 3: Those masks were disgusting. I'm so sorry. I can't wait to see what happens to both of our faces burned beyond recognition or we trade faces face like the fly. It's a portal, all right.
Speaker 2: Now, this is.
Speaker 3: Just as I said. I just search Ridger, Wineger and Amazon.
Speaker 2: It's a book called Winnegar Reflections Tales from Wisconsin's north Woods by Weirdly someone that Bill.
Speaker 3: I think that wine Again must be the north Woods. I did highlight well inside I marked a really important passage. But let's hear about Bill Retherford.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, let's Bill Rutherford was born at Uper lives in Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: But I don't know what that is. But it's not good. Yeah I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want topers. But still calls Winegar home. So Wineger's a city or a town or a lake. Here's what people are saying. Oh it's got good press.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, some people are saying.
Speaker 2: Janice Felts says, it has brought to my mind pleasant, humorous and melancholy memories we had we had put in the back of our mind. This brought them out too, triggering sharing times that we are for the most all, for the most part, all familiar with.
Speaker 3: Okay for the most part. And so they're admitting that it's not universal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not it's not going to be a huge ship.
Speaker 3: Actually, you won't relate to this at all.
Speaker 2: And Steve Finnegan says, very cool. I love the way you tell stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Will you look up Steve Finnigan? Wait, can I tell you something really cool? Yes, quickly, just saying, will you look up somebody? Have you ever watched International House Hunters before?
Speaker 2: Oh? Of course.
Speaker 3: Okay. There was an episode with these people that I want to say had gone. They were this family that was moving to like Malaca or somewhere, and they were moving from like Sarasota, and the whole time I was like, something is up, Like this family is like on the lamb, the vibes are weird. Something's off. I like finally found his name like on Reddit or something. I googled this man and he was like Housted as like the University of Florida, something like women's I want to say it was basketball, but maybe it was football or so, I can't remember soccer. I think it was soccer, was women's soccer. And he a lot of them claimed that he had made them bleimic and that he was I know, but it was to go from watching international house centers being like something's up and then like going straight to this thing. And they severed him with pay, and clearly he had used the pay to find this house and put himself on TV. It's interesting that the family would go right onto TV from.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's truly just psychopath behavioral, just like I'm getting.
Speaker 3: Away with the best life, low level, low level, best life behavior.
Speaker 2: Because I've often especially not just on regular house Hunters, because there are various other issues with those people, but on international you're always.
Speaker 3: Like something something, it's always tax people or like I couldn't ever find a husband.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like there's never just a like, oh we want to see the world. There's something driving them away. And for you to have actually found one of these people is.
Speaker 3: It was exciting incredible. It was huge.
Speaker 2: Okay, you highlighted part of this I did.
Speaker 3: This is a passage. I want you to take heart to heart.
Speaker 2: It says, we hope that some should read this whole.
Speaker 3: Paragraph, the whole thing, all connected as one.
Speaker 2: We hope that someday Weininger may die. That is a universal message. Most people have that on front of mind. I thought, I'm listening to this podcast. The moment they click play, that comes. That's immediate where they're thinking, we get to wow, this is a beautiful book. I can't wait to find out. I should visit Weininger. I wonder.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they'd help post or like a I'm there's an honorary mayor or something. It would help them get a blue check if you. Wininger should host me at some point, I should come to a little parade. We've got chapters such as Hot Pursuit. I wonder what happens there A visit from the Bear's Death Knell a small town. There's no good news coming out of Wine. It's a curse name.
Speaker 2: This is a bad place.
Speaker 3: It is crazy. Is it German?
Speaker 2: Wininger is? I think it's Dutch. I think it's like something about vineyards or something.
Speaker 3: Most Mormons.
Speaker 2: Mormons are there's a you know, it's I would say white mutt, but like Scandinavian, English, Scottish.
Speaker 3: So interesting because there's the look like the Mormon look. I think that ever have been from the same like gene Pool.
Speaker 2: Right, I think it's largely like Northern Europe Scandinavia, yeah, and British and then right because there are a lot of Anderson's Sorenson's like these kind of very right scandy names, scandy words.
Speaker 3: I hope it's not terrible. It's a derogatory word about the most oppressed people.
Speaker 2: You don't know what they're.
Speaker 3: Actually, those people, Northern European people, you're.
Speaker 2: Not into them.
Speaker 3: They get these tests, these census tests where they say they're the happiest so fappiest countries in the world, and they're the most depressed alcoholics and the well sweeten's different. They have a little sense of humor, but like they are the most joyless, finish people, and they say they're the happiest and they do carry the sun goes down at noon and they do karaoke and their alcoholics do karaoke for twelve hours after the sun goes down. And they say they're the most happy people in the world, and we believe them. What's driving and we go, well, there's something wrong with us. Every time I said.
Speaker 2: Those is so fucked truly. Any It's like a yearly headline. Yeah, and it make sure you just have this existential thing of like, well, there's no way I can get to that life. I'm trapped in this body in this country.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And meanwhile people are living it up.
Speaker 2: They're having the time of their lives, and I can't really prove anything.
Speaker 3: I went to Finland in some like film school exchange situation that was like a week of like having to meet people, and I was like really trying to be personable. The whole time, I was consistently shut down socially in every every way you can shut someone down. At the end of they were like, you know, when we first met to you, we thought, you know, this here is so forward and we're not for it. And I was like, yeah, how do you think I felt? I was like I was working overtime to make social situations work, and I'm worse for yourself. Oh, that's why I read the codependency book.
Speaker 2: Now you can finally go back to fit yeah. Well, I'm so excited about Wineger. I've got my T shirt. I've got I mean, you've really You've changed everything for me. I'm about to start my second chapter. I think we should play a game. We can play a game called Gift or a curse. But I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 3: Ten, Okay, I have to.
Speaker 2: I have to do some like calculating to get our game pieces. So right now you can recommend, promote, do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I mean you can just follow me in Instagram where nothing happens anymore. I met ge Charles Rogers. That's the English spelling of Rogers, r og no, that's the French. The French Norman spelling is r O g r O d g is the English Anglo spelling. Fuck uh. And I'm going to make another TV show. I hope. To god, I don't know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: That's exciting.
Speaker 3: I hope. I hope it all happens.
Speaker 2: You never know, I mean, everything's insane. People want you to make another TV show.
Speaker 3: I hope so, I mean, I hope they do. I don't know anymore. Of the world's scary, the.
Speaker 2: World's very odd, But I feel like eventually people. Maybe one a very late adopter to this podcast. Yeah, and this will be a commercial for your show.
Speaker 3: That would be nice. It's perfect.
Speaker 2: This is how we play Gift or a Curse. I'm gonna name three things. You're gonna tell me if they're gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong because there are correct answers.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be right. I think I know you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see, we shall see.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: This first one is from our make a tier of suggestions from a listener named Christina. Gift or a curse. Cashiers who ask you what you're doing tonight.
Speaker 3: Wow, I think the obvious answer is curse, but I'm gonna say gift because it's an opportunity to lie, and it's an opportunity to find out what comes out of you in situations like that, and it's a good check in for your comfort level with strangers and your relationship to going out correct. I knew it, And a beautiful logic that's so fantastic. First of all, we love our cashiers, Yeah, we do. I love a visit with my cash here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And again, like nothing anytime anyone asks me, what are you doing tonight? My mind goes blank? Right, so why not just say whatever you want? You're never going to see this person again.
Speaker 3: And it's very tricky because if you are doing something cool, then you don't want to be a.
Speaker 2: Right But then if you're doing nothing, you want to be the loser that the cashier makes the cashier sad.
Speaker 3: And you have to keep it simple because people can't handle more than a few words. Yeah, you've got a probably six word plan, but then you get to see what how they react you.
Speaker 2: The person behind you is wondering what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Before you even start talking. No, I think it's wonderful. I think that cashiers should be prying into everyone's speak. Cashier, who could ask for more? Who could ask for more? A feeling. I I rarely feel closer to someone than when a cashier is dealing with a difficult customer. Le we make icons totally, Oh, the intimacy.
Speaker 3: Totally and yeah, and the superiority then and then the over correcting of being esternized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your time to shine and then you fumble.
Speaker 3: Using it's my role to restore their their belief in humanity.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've gotten one correct so far. We'll see what happens next. Gift her curses from a listener named Ian gift to a curse when someone knows something and asks you to guess.
Speaker 3: When someone knows something and asks you to yes, I think curse. Honestly, Oh gosh, no, oh god. It could go either way. I think that I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say gift because it is an opportunity to let someone else have the power and to work through what that does to your own interiority.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hate to say it, you're wrong because that was a real look at this, and you did give us some thought.
Speaker 3: Because it's just annoying.
Speaker 2: I have to just be as straightforward with this as possible. What could be more irritating? Right, And every time I will just I cut to the chase. I don't want to guess. I just say I don't want to guess. And if the person continues to push me to guess, now the tension is through the roof and I'm going to be wrong, and then what good? What good comes from this? Right?
Speaker 3: It's usually good news. I don't think with bad news, people are.
Speaker 2: Like, guess, it's so your daughter's the hospital.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, no, the cleaner didn't come.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you got that one wrong. So your plans have been really ruined here, but here's one more chance.
Speaker 3: You're an enemy.
Speaker 2: This is from a listener named Sonny Gift to a curse cars with engines that shut down stop lights and then start up again when you hit the gas.
Speaker 3: Curse why it's not worth it? Everything. The idea that, like the consumer is responsible for saving the planet is a part of the matrix of whys that we're in right now. Like, it is absolutely up to the corporations, and like these inconveniences that we embrace in the name of like being a responsible consumer are delusional.
Speaker 2: You are correct, Okay, this is the I absolutely hate this device. First of all, nobody likes that feeling turn off. And then you're sitting at the light, you're freaking out, you're panicking, you're wondering. I get used to it. And again it's like, especially because it happens with gas cars, it's like, I'm already driving the gas car. What could this possibly be doing?
Speaker 3: Any feature that prevents you from getting out of an emergency instantly, Like my car if I open the door while it's driving, it throws itself in park way.
Speaker 2: More danger.
Speaker 3: What is attacking me? I go through the windshield.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, I have like mine. When I pull out when there's there's traffic coming like half a mile away, and I try to pull out, it stops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then it just puts me like it elevates my blood pressure, right, and you know you're not desert door.
Speaker 2: Yeah. None of that stuff really seems to be actually safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't believe this about yours though. This is going to lead to your death.
Speaker 3: Something is I've got a few, I've got a few players.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's absolutely a curse. I think that. I can't imagine there's a single person on board with that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's one person who's just like this future. Let me tell you it's changed everything. What has it changed? Because you want it to take little naps?
Speaker 2: My car is a pit. What you got to out of three not what you want.
Speaker 3: I really came in trying to win.
Speaker 2: It feels like this is something at the end of the day, on Alisha, you have your gift or a curse?
Speaker 3: I do what is it?
Speaker 4: Here we go when a restaurant manager comes to the table to check in to see how your meal was.
Speaker 3: I it could go either way. I'm going to say curse because I guarantee it's when I'm in the middle. I'm almost to the punchline of my story, and that is undoubtedly when I'm interrupted time and time again in my life, and it is something God is trying to tell me. But also manager. I like it when the owner, but I don't like on the manager interesting. The owner is like, that's cool, and then the manager it's like I said, we're fine to everyone else.
Speaker 2: I'm going to I also will say curse. I feel like I see right through it. This is just kind of some little thing for them to they're waiting for you to read out a waiter or something. They're trying to because no one's going to be outright mean or complain to the manager's face. And also, if I want to talk to the manager, you'll hear me screaming at an employee, I want to talk to your manager.
Speaker 3: So you think that they're coming around being like, so you sure you sure? Betsy's a good Yeah, exactly. So I think it's a curse.
Speaker 2: I used to say gift.
Speaker 4: I used to say gift because it made me feel a little special, but.
Speaker 3: Then you started getting better kinds of attention exactly. I read the codependency.
Speaker 4: But I recently went out to dinner with my father, like about two weeks ago, okay, no, sorry, went out to dinner and the manager was just like staring at our table for a while. Finally approached kind of men singly. According to my dad, I didn't this was all happening behind me, and he goes, Hi, there, how how did you discover us? First of all like an agenda? And I'm like, oh, I saw, I saw TikTok about this place.
Speaker 3: I didn't seem Indiana Jones.
Speaker 4: And he said, well, what do you think of You know, we've been getting a lot of one star reviews lately, what do you think of that? Somebody gave me a one star review for the music, and somebody gave me a one star review for like having like this special kind of bread. And I suddenly just saw this man like unravel before my eyes, and he was just I was just like, you're just trying to see if I'm going to give you a bad YELP review, Please leave.
Speaker 3: I was you don't hate me? He's like, I was so ready going to give you a.
Speaker 4: One star review just for doing this like I was.
Speaker 2: I was a good.
Speaker 3: Exactly and now you are absolute curse.
Speaker 4: This is not It's about them and they're in securities as a as an employee, not about the actual experience you're having.
Speaker 2: While we all walk away winners here except for managers managing expectations. Okay, this is the final segment of the podcast.
Speaker 3: With Fingers.
Speaker 2: Fingers a spell. Will you help me answer a listener question? Of course people are writing into I said no gifts at gmail dot com. We have voice notes, but I feel like it's we should read some of these emails on occasion or these poor people they're pouring their souls out to me, and then you know, I can't turn my back on everyone. Yes, okay, this is Bridger and Guest. I live in a two story house with my husband and two dogs, and we live in a shoes off household. One dog relentlessly shreds while the shreds on the guitar.
Speaker 3: It's like cartoon notes.
Speaker 2: Sheds, while the other one has curly hair and constantly tracks in dirt and other sticks leaves into the house. This person hates their dogs. My husband and I naturally split most of the chores throughout our day today. But one thing that I can't seem to get is his assistance with sweeping slash vacuuming our house. When he wanted to get a rug in the living room against my protests due to the difficulty this would make for my regular sweeping. Are you following the sentence.
Speaker 3: He wanted to get a He wanted to get a rug to make this sweeping more difficulty. Is that what it was?
Speaker 2: Yes? And the writer is saying, because I now need to dust bust oh, I need to bust out the vacuum. He promised he would regularly vacuum the rug to prevent fur slash dirt build up. Okay, so he got the rug and the compromise was, please let me get the rug, all vacuum it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I think I can count on one hand how many times he has vacuumed this rug. And he even wants to get more rugs for the hallway. Sounds like he's in that book.
Speaker 3: He's addicted to rugs because he is scared of the dogs slipping on the hard wood. Okay, this is a I mean, we are reading a book. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand the additional obstacles this presents in my sweeping quest. I have tried being both explicit and passive aggressive and trying to get his help in sweeping the floors, but with no success. How can I get my husband to help me clean the floors? Do I accumulate the dust slash fur that I regularly sweep up in a bin and dump it on his side of the bed?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: I just suck it up and keep sweeping on my own help? And that's from Derek.
Speaker 3: I knew it was a man. I knew it was a gig guy, and that does affect my answer.
Speaker 2: So what does he do?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know. I think they say that if you so. Elizabeth Gilbert, who wrote You Pray Love, says that if you don't can't identify a passion in life, you should follow your curiosity. So I think that we need to step out of the rubric of rugs and dogs and pursue Well, what else is there? And what else? Yeah? What else could what could make me? What could give me purpose?
Speaker 2: And other than hating my husband? I mean, I feel like they that's.
Speaker 3: Perhaps too cold, right? Do you think that people I like to be shook awake.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think, I mean I always go to leave him, but I think I know if he had sent a picture, we would have been able to say, well, this is worth sticking around for and letting him just kind of neglect you curious. Uh, it'd be interesting if they have kids and they didn't.
Speaker 3: Did they not say with the dog the dogs?
Speaker 2: It seems like he's he's not happy with his life. He doesn't like the things these dogs are doing. He doesn't like rugs at all, he doesn't like the husband, he doesn't like vacuuming.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, actually he enjoys this role of bitching, and I think he does love his life. He likes to play to a podcast about this, so like he does enjoy like the veil of this podcast right now. He does enjoy like like being like Derek, like I guess he's Derek might be.
Speaker 2: This is one of the Derek Derek couples. Derek, I feel like if this went away, he'd be so bored, he'd have nothing to talk to his friends about at dinner. Yeah, this is keeping the marriage alive, right. The moment that Derek too starts sweeping or vacuuming. It's gonna flatten out, there's gonna be zero passion. Yeah, there are two dogs, so they can pretty much split up pretty evenly. There's not a big fight, and yeah, then it's over. Yeah, so Derek just let it lie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think he's doing exactly what he likes to do.
Speaker 2: And I think he's got his name.
Speaker 3: I think he's he likes his nasty little game, and I think this is his opportunity to have a little spotlight on his little nasty game. And I think he's gonna play it every day for the rest of his life. And that's a okay.
Speaker 2: And this is just gonna snowball into more and more risky behavior.
Speaker 3: But we have to protect ourselves and we can't get sucked into this. First and foremost, we have to distance ourselves from this email and Derek card boundary, these toxic these toxic rock obsessed guess men, Derek, don't write back in Oh, Charles, we answered the question perfectly. My life is just the texture in my life now is wet, absolutely soaked, just wet and slimy, and I'm going to embrace it and be afraid of women. I'm happy to have led you there, Thank you for being, thank you for having listener. The podcast is over.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you've you know, given some thought to something about what you're gonna do with your day, or at least had some sugar so you don't just slump over and die. Move on, do what you need to do. I love you, goodbye, I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is on Alise Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Toliday. The theme song is by miracle Worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said no Gifts, that's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts? I invit?
Speaker 1: Did you hear? Funa man myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 3: When you're a.
Speaker 1: Guest to me, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, you're our presences, presents and I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to survey me? Became the thea