Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Elisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning starting at seven am Easter.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 5: That's CPAC conference was underway in Texas this week. The focus, of course, was what its Republican Party looked like post Donald Trump, but there was also something of great conversation there had to do with Iran warrens where all of that is headed and especially top of mind for attendees there, including Iranian Americans.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: I am fank you on, but I am your citizen.
Speaker 7: Also, maybe do you think why US should be in war? Actually, I am going to say, is the best time to make America great again? And Iran can be the biggest part of the puzzle to be disheld but first we have to need a freedom.
Speaker 5: David Ben sorry, one of the attendees there at that SEAPEC conference in grape Vine, Sexas. Jeff Mason was there covering it for us. He's a White House correspondent at Bloomberg News. Jeff, great to have you with us once again. Talk a bit about the degree to which this conflict was reverberating around the halls of that gay Lord hotel in Texas. How much was it front of mine for those who are participating there.
Speaker 8: I think it sort of overshadowed a large part of the conference. Honestly, as we've talked about earlier, the support for President Trump is still extremely high. But the fact that the president went back on a promise with this war, the fact that the war has gone on for several weeks now, and the fact that fuel prices are up with no particular site or end in sight are all things that are that are concerning to.
Speaker 6: People at SEAPACK.
Speaker 8: Even if they continue to say they support the president, they support the war, they're just question marks about it. And the question marks are both about those promises that we that I just mentioned and about the impact that it's going to have politically.
Speaker 6: Going into the November elections.
Speaker 2: And Jeff, President Trump didn't speak at SEAPAC this year. Is that significant? Why did they make that choice? And did attendees notice, do they care?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 8: I think I don't think that was a choice by SEAPAC organizers. I think they would have been delighted to have President Trump come. And there was there was even a little bit of rumor milling while I was there that they were still trying to get a big name speaker like Vice President Vance or Secretary of State Rubio to come.
Speaker 6: I'm sure they would have been delighted if the President had come.
Speaker 8: All of that said, there's a lot of forgiveness for President Trump in that room, and that would apply to both a lack of a tenants as well as breaking some promises that he made as a candidate.
Speaker 5: Jeff, You've covered a number of these over the years, and I'm curious sort of how much energy and enthusiasm there was this one compared to one's past. They used to be in Washington, d C. Then they were in Maryland, a little ways away from the capital. Now we have it taking place in Texas. Does it retain the level of energy and enthusiasm among participants that it had in the past.
Speaker 6: You know, there was plenty of energy there.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's interesting in terms of people watching you go and people wearing red.
Speaker 6: Maga hats or black Maga hats.
Speaker 8: I spoke to one woman who was dressed up in a Statue of Liberty costume, all of whom were very happy to talk about their love of the president and their hate of communism and socialism and the other buzzwords that SEAPAC very successfully has associated with the left. You know, it is You're right, it was in Dallas as opposed to in the DC area. But there's a lot of conservative energy in Dallas for sure, and people from all over the country who came.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I didn't notice a dip in energy.
Speaker 8: I just certainly noticed at least some concern, and that would include at the very top of the organizer level. I spoke to Matt Slap concern about the impact of this war on the elections. And when I spoke to Matt, he discussed the fact that this is an interesting and tricky political time and the impact on Republicans and the impact on the MAGA faithful when it comes to those elections, which, as you all know, I love to talk about is looming. So they're thinking about that, but they're also again using they use their time in Dallas to talk about the things that they care about, both in the US and globally in terms of the conservative movement.
Speaker 2: Jeff, we just got about a minute or so left, but I do want to let you talk a little bit about those midterm elections that you hold so near and dear to your heart.
Speaker 6: Maybe I love it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it better you than me, buddy, all right, So Steapack is the diehards. Of course, these are like the most loyal people to the president, and as you said, they're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But as you talk to Republicans at large, maybe outside of that bubble just slightly, are they getting concerned about things like oil prices, about how long this conflict in Iran is going, especially as we are coming up on those midterms. There's always another election around the corner, but this one, the President keeps saying, you know, oil prices are a blip. It's going to wind down, it's going to resolve. It doesn't seem to be going as quickly as he would like.
Speaker 8: I think that's right, and I you know, it's it's easy for a political reporter to talk about the next election, but this next election is so critical for President Trump. It will have so many implications for the second half of his second term, in terms of legislation, in terms of policy priorities, in terms of the potential investigations that Democrats would launch if Democrats take over the House and potentially the Senate. I think the risks that you just highlighted, Christina are spot on. I think those risks are present both within the Democratic and independent base, but also among the magni the magna folks who he will need to go out and vote as well.
Speaker 5: Jeff Mason, who covers the White House forests and the Seapac conference, he was there over the course last week.
Speaker 3: Jeff Mason, thank you very much for the time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jeff for you soon.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: Right after this, Emily Gregory went from owning a fitness center for pregnant and postpartum women to defeating a Trump back Republican for state representative. The special election surprise victory is raising eyebrows, not only because she's a Democrat who won a conservative district because she represents marri Lago and her most famous resident is, of course, President Donald Trump. Joining us now is Florida State Representative Emily Gregory. Emily, I understand that you're also a first time politician. You've not run for anything before. What made you want to get involved and why did you think you could win?
Speaker 9: Yes, so this has all been a whirlwind. I filed last summer, just not happy with the representation we were getting out of Tallahassee. I felt that for years they have not been focused on the issues my friends and my neighbors and I are talking about that we need solutions to, and they're focused on distractions. And I thought, hey, if those dummies, wehy not.
Speaker 2: Morning TV, but we can allowed dummies.
Speaker 5: Yes, go ahead, let me ask you about what you did focus on. You mentioned some of those issues that you and your friends were talking about, indeed, cared about Christina, bringing up perhaps your most famous resident constituent.
Speaker 6: How much did you over the course.
Speaker 5: Of the campaign talk about him, focus on him, address national policies, visa VI him. How large did Donald Trump loom in the campaign that you waged.
Speaker 9: I would say he did not loom large, not because it's not innate, but because it's outside the scope of the state House. And one thing our campaign is very strong on is staying disciplined on the issues, So right you go. I went into the campaign with an idea of what issues were affecting me most, and I really really listened in all the conversations we had knocking on doors and at campaign events to what are the biggest issues at the state level that are affecting District eighty seven voters, And we heard housing and healthcare and public education, so that we were laser focused on those issues.
Speaker 2: It's very tempting, especially those of us who call the politics, to extrapolate from one race and try to make it a trend and try to broaden it out. But I do wonder as you look at other Democrats who are struggling to make gains or break through, do you think focusing more on those cable excuse me, kitchen table issues and less on the president would be more effective for the party if they're trying to gain more seats, especially the midterms.
Speaker 9: I can say it's the successful formula for me, and it just makes sense. Right things that are abstract and don't impact your day to day life are just not going to have as much of an impact on your decision making. And we don't have the final numbers, but it looks like a large number of Independents and a really significant number of Republicans also voted for me as well as you know, large support across political parties. And I'm very proud of that because that was my theory of the case going into this was that most people I talk to, regardless of their political stripe, we're talking about the same things. We were talking about property insurance, we were talking about, you know, the skyrocketing cost of health care, we were talking about our public schools being gutted, so those really it doesn't it's not a partisan slant, and I don't think railing against something is as successful as you know, defining what you're for.
Speaker 5: We pull back lastly, and I think we could focus on the patio at mar Lago and the wealth that exists in some parts of the district that you represent. The maybe you can kind of introduce viewers and listeners who don't know it to a wider audience. What is your district like and sort of what are the principal challenges that you see at facing here?
Speaker 3: In the year ahead.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you for asking. So it runs down the coast. There's a population at the center at the top, so Jupiter is where I live, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm, Juno, So it's kind of like a circle up there, and then Skinny Skinny skinny all the way down the coast to Manalapan and hyper Luxo, which is actually very large distance wise for a state House district, with some carbouts to include downtown West Palm and downtown Lake Worth Beach. So downtown West Palm Beach, big, big, number one concern is this rapid rapid growth and how you balance that with smart growth. And in Lakeworth they have some real water quality challenges and infrastructure that really need to be addressed through the legislature, and it would have been really important for them to have a District eighty seven representative in this legislative session that just wrapped up. So that is the importance of representation as these local issues that need you know, you need a representative to go fight fight for that, fight for your needs at the local level.
Speaker 2: All right, local government very important. Emily Gregory, thank you so much for joining us on this Sunday.
Speaker 3: Great to get that perspective.
Speaker 5: Joining us now, Puck News writer reporter Abby Livingston, Bloomberg opinion columns, and two time Pulitzer Prize winner Ron Brownstein is with us and Brecker's University director of the Eagleton Center for Public Interests pulling. Ashley Coening is with us here on set in New York as well.
Speaker 10: Ron.
Speaker 5: Let me start with you, and let's use what we heard over the last couple of minutes to kick off this conversation. Christina asking the very good question, what can you extrapolate from a local race like this one about Democrats directionally going into the midterm elections?
Speaker 6: What did you hear there?
Speaker 5: What is your sense of the greet which Democrats should focus on Donald Trump going forward or focus more specifically on the issues of affordability and healthcare in the light?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's really good morning, Good to be with you.
Speaker 6: First of all, it's both.
Speaker 10: And especially in a midterm I think if you look at modern American politics, this single dominant force in midterm elections is the voter assessment of the performance of the incommon president. I mean, in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty, at least ninety percent of voters who disapproved of Trump voted a Democratic each time. We saw that again in the New Jersey and Virginia governor's races. Were in the exit polls, Mikey, Cheryl and Abigail Spamberger each one over ninety percent of voters who disapproved of Trump. So that is obviously, you know, a central focus. But she's right that you know to get those last few points of voters that you need either side, really and this was true for Trump in twenty four. They are not voters who are fundamentally enlisted into the ideological battle between the parties. They are voting on results, and to convince them that you have an agenda or a plan that can address their real material concerns I think is critical. But I will say it is probably more important in twenty eight than twenty six. As I say, historically, midterm elections are predomined a referendum on the incumbent president.
Speaker 2: All right, but I'll be looking at twenty six. You and I were talking and you're seeing one of the big issues is these republic and retirements. We just had another one this week. How big does that factor into the map.
Speaker 11: This is a very big issue, and this special election could influence that any underperformance might encourage an incumbent. There's a few more filing deadlines ahead, and that's sort of the go time to make a decision, and so incumbents maybe looking at this and going my reelection may be a lot harder than I ever expected. And so these there are repercussions to this little local race that will go national.
Speaker 6: That's really interesting, Ashley.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you what we're seeing in the public opinion data which you study so closely. What is it indicating about the issues that are most animating voters going into the midterms right now?
Speaker 12: I mean, again, these are things that we saw with you know, down in Florida. These are things we just saw in New Jersey in the fall. It's all about cost of living and that buzzword of affordability and inflation. And these are the issues that President Trump, his numbers have been failing on. When it comes to approvals of individual issue areas, we have not seen a president in recent history. If they are not above the fifty percent mark going into the mid terms, they will very likely lose seats. So that, given with the combination of economic sentiment, sets a very bad path for Republicans heading into the mid terms.
Speaker 5: We just head up there that poll Fox News poll, and I saw far seventy one percent of voters are disapproving of the way that the president has been tackling inflation.
Speaker 2: Ron I also want to ask you there's an article in La Times today talking about Donald Trump and the Latino vote, which was a big part of his win, and that those numbers may not hold the next time around. It's interesting because you have people who are upset with the president about how his administration has handled immigration and enforcement things like that. But then you also have a sector of the population, especially in Florida, that would be very happy with the president if he does what he is hinting that he's going to do, and that's go into Cuba and make some moves there. Can you talk to us about that voter base. It's not a monolith. Where do they stand and are they likely to come support the president in the same numbers as the next time around?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I mean, look, without question, the aspect of the twenty four results that was the most discussed in the days and weeks after the election were Trump's improvements broadly among non white voters, particularly non college non white voters, Hispanics, black men, to some extent Asian Americans. And the argument was that he was now building a cross racial working class coalition, that he was making the same kind of gains among blue collar non white voters that he had earlier recorded among blue.
Speaker 3: Collar white voters.
Speaker 10: And you know, you fast forward a year and a half and a lot of that virtually all of that has rolled back. And because those many of those voters who moved toward Trump in minority communities and Latinos were certainly among them, I think fit into what I was talking about before. They were primarily results voters. They were disappointed in the results they were getting under Joe Biden. They remembered that their cost of living was more affordable under Trump. You know, you would talk to Democratic pollsters in twenty four and they would all have the same phrase and say what they would describe as the nightmare phrase they heard in focus groups, which is that from they they would be talking to a group of Hispanic or black voters and someone would say, you know, yes, I think Donald Trump is insensitive.
Speaker 6: I think he's a racist.
Speaker 10: But if I'm telling the truth, I had more money in my pocket when he was president, and that I think was what moved a lot of those voters toward him. And now he's basically overplayed his hand on immigration and he is facing a backlash among Latino voters on that, and he has failed to deliver what they wanted. Most the Cuban American and Central and South American diaspora in Miami is just a different kind of cohort than really any other group of Hispanic voters in the country. They're the last ones that will move away. I mean, you're looking more at places like Texas, Colorado, Nevada, even Pennsylvania. It's going to be really, really important whether Republicans see a regression from the games Trump scored in twenty four.
Speaker 2: He had a couple of colorad AND's here at this table actually quickly before we go to break, I do want to ask you about how Iran is factoring into all of this. You know, this is the party of non interventionists, not forever wars. Are you seeing those numbers impact even the most hardcore of Trump supports. We've been talking a lot about SEPAC this week, Jeff Mason telling us for the most part that support is holding their giving the benefits of doubt. But are you starting to see flickers of some doubt in that voter base.
Speaker 12: You know, I think, like Ron was saying, we definitely have seen these key groups that kind of propelled him to victory in twenty twenty four breaking away with him, especially when it comes to white men, white non college educated men. And this is also playing into the Iran factor. The number one thing in polling that adults say is that they do not want to see gas prices rise, and so I think that is a big factor here. They do not want to see the repercussions of this war come back home, especially when it comes to cost of living in affordability issues that are affecting their everyday lives. So we do see that MAGA voters are predominantly still in the corner, but there has been some slippage in the polls among Republicans when it comes to things like the war in Iran, and that combination of foreign you know, quagmire abroad combined with prices skyrocketing at home is not a good combination for the president with whether it's his voters or other voting blocks.
Speaker 2: Habe people only got about thirty seconds, but our den is going to take advantage of that.
Speaker 11: I think absolutely. I mean, and they have no political blame over this in the way they did with the Iraq War when so many Democratic senators and House members voted, So this is sort of they can have their hands clean of this. If this does not.
Speaker 2: Go well, all right, Abby, Ron, Ashley, stay with us. We're gonna have a lot more ahead on Bloomerg this week, and we're gonna talk about DHS more Ron and where we all go. As again, it's always there's always another election around the corner. Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 3: Right after this.
Speaker 5: Back with us are Appy Lives and Rob Brownstein Ashley Coning as well.
Speaker 3: Appy, let me start with you.
Speaker 5: We've been through this week where the Senate stayed up late and the House stayed up late, and there was no resolution. We stayed up late well as we watched all this unfil this royal and conflict about funding the Department of Homeland Security. Now members of both those houses go back to their home districts for a two week recess where they're going to hear from constituents. The lines remain, I assume longer than normal. Who has played this right or best in your estimation, the Democrats the Republicans. Is this has gone on now for more than a month.
Speaker 4: I think it can go both ways.
Speaker 11: They each have an argument to point the finger at the other. But I just think it's interesting that this hit during spring break and that is a travel season for families, and planes will probably been missed, and that's going to hit really hard, and so I think those things stick with them. And I think that whoever the member of Congresses who's out and about in the community is probably going to get an earfull and it's not a good position to be in. And it just shows how dysfunctional our government is.
Speaker 2: And you've got this really interesting thing with TMZ of all people, putting a bounty out for photos of members of Congress enjoying spring break while the shutdown continues and TSA lines are still long, Ashley, when you look at pulling on Congress, it's not good. Is it getting any better? And are there specific places that people want to see action that might help it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I think that's a simple answer, Aaron.
Speaker 12: It's just not getting any better. And we haven't seen, you know, as much iron pulling for this partial shutdown as we may have seen in the fall, but it's increasing. I mean, these are tangible things that people are experiencing every day that impacts their lives, and so you know, it is just kind of increasing the negativity, the dissatisfaction with Congress and with the president as well. I mean, the buck always stops with the president. So this is yet another thing that is not working necessarily in his favor. But you know, we see that trust satisfaction with Congress. These are all all time lows. This is not a legislative body that Americans are proud or approving of.
Speaker 5: Ronie right about the way in which this animates kind of insurgent candidates, those who are kind of vying against or going against the mainstream and sort of status quo and Washington and Graham Platner certainly comes to mind. He the subject of latest columns, or what's going to happen in main between him and Janet Mills and which of the two of them is going to face off against Susan Collins. Your sense of the way that this what we've become inured to the dysfunction of Washington is going to be an animating factor here in the midterm elections.
Speaker 10: Look it has become an animating factor in our elections for quite a while. I mean, people make the argument that virtually every election of the twenty first century has been a change election, maybe with the exception of two thousand and two, where you know, you're in two thousand and four where you're seeing at least some backlash against the party in power. I mean, that is the core dynamic that we are facing. As I said, midterm elections. I think the single the evidence is that the single most powerful factor in them of our voter assessments of the income and president and it you know, it is an ominous a trend for Republicans that Trump is really at his lowest point of his second term this close to the election. That is a big wave. But there is a big wall, David, in front of it, which is that, you know, the battlefield is more tilted toward red places than it was in twenty eighteen. Democrats have won a lot of those easier to win house districts. There are only eight Republicans in districts that voted for Harris even after redistricting. And to win the Senate after you get past those first two in North Carolina and Maine, Democrats are going to have to win states that Trump won by double digits, So there's no question is weaker than he was in twenty four has he receded enough that Democrats have a shot on some of these places that really are on the pretty far on the red side of the fifty yard line.
Speaker 2: Abby, talk to us about the primaries to watch. I know you want to talk about Maine. What are the other races that you think are going to be impactful or that are getting you excited as you get excited about primaries like you half four.
Speaker 11: Years, Well, Maine is absolutely fascinating. We have the Texas run off, which is an ongoing soap opera. Will he or will he not endorse?
Speaker 6: This is corn versus Paxton.
Speaker 11: Ken Paxton. Let's see what else Minnesota Senate on the Democratic side is going to be fascinating. That's not tell August Michigan Senate Democratic primary is probably the race that most fascinates the Democratic Party and to an extent, the Republican Party because there's so many different issues Israel, the economy, but it also seems to be the one that's most in the direction of where we can see twenty twenty eight going.
Speaker 2: And how big of a deal has redistricting played in these maps?
Speaker 11: Staggering and it is ongoing, and it is so they're about to redraw in Florida and the special election we just discussed that might help spook Republican incumbents who don't want to give up Republican voters. And then you have Virginia, where the credibility of Governor Abigail Spamberger is on the line of whether she can get the statewide initiative through to redraw their maps. But it is a difficult issue, it's very toxic and there's a lot of collateral damage.
Speaker 5: Ron I want to ask you about these no Kings protests that we saw yesterday across the country, in your backyard ours as well in many places across the United States. What do you take away from that when it comes to kind of detailing the sentiment, the anti incumbent sentiment that's in place among Democrats. Of course, with actual political action, how much does this that expression dissatisfaction lead to political change or the agitation for it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a measure of intensity.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 10: You know, if the organizers say eight million people showed up yesterday, obviously we have to wait for independent sources to confirm that, but if it is eight million people, it's the largest single day of protest in American history, and it is a measure of the intensity of the opposition that the president Trump face and it's kind of reinforced by polling him. Even in the Fox Powle last week, roughly half of Americans strongly disapprove of Trump performance as president, compared to only about a quarter who strongly approved, and that gap is really important because strong disapprovers are different, particularly in a midterm, than those who say they only somewhat disapprove. Strong disapprovers are more likely to turn out, and what we have seen in midterm elections pretty much through the twenty first century is somewhere around ninety five percent of people who say they strongly disapprove of a president vote against his party's candidates in the typical House and Senate race. So the No King's Rally, I think, was another measure of the intensity of the opposition that Trump faces at a time when the Republican base is somewhat fractured over issues like Iran, and that could produce a differential turnout problem for them in November. That might allow Democrats to get over some of those high walls I just talked about in places that have leaned historically pretty red.
Speaker 2: Asher We've talked a lot about Republican numbers and what they're not doing well. People aren't happy with the Republicans, but people aren't really thrilled with the Democrats either. I mean, one thing I hear even from people within the Democrat Party is do something? Is that reflected in the numbers, and are you seeing disappointment there as well? Even as we have these no kings rallies, there doesn't seem to be a focus or a purpose or an action item for a lot of these policies.
Speaker 12: You know, I would say, I think we should point to a lot of these special elections or these off year elections that we've seen, whether in New Jersey and Virginia, whether we're talking about Florida, Texas. I think these are the Democrats that are emerging for the party, that are showing we are doing something when it comes to these kitchen table issues, and maybe that is the strategy that's the playbook moving forward in the midterms. Right now, Democrats have about in the generic ballot three to five percent on Republicans that should increase if we keep going on the same path, we usually will see five more points for the opposing party when it's the fall kickoff of the midterm. So you know, this could be a pretty big wave. But like Ron said, we also have to be careful about where these races would be taking place, how competitive these areas are, and how difficult some of these races are. Despite what we do see in the generic ballot. But you know, we also see that thirteen percent of Trump supporters from twenty twenty four regret their vote. So even if there are silent Trumpers, a big number, it's a big number and very small in comparison for Democrats. So you know, there's there's a lot at play here that could go either way. But I think there are Democrats out there there are forging ahead with some sort of platform of doing something instead of just commenting against.
Speaker 2: Emily Gregor who flip mar A Lago saying that was her strength talking about kitchen table issues and not the president. So all right, Abby Livingston, Ron Brownstein, and Ashley cunning thank you all so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this.
Speaker 2: For the first time in nearly fifty years, NASA is sending astronauts back to the Moon.
Speaker 5: The Artemists two mission set for liftoff from Florida as early as Wednesday of this coming week. Joining us now as Ed Ludlow, co host of Bloomberg Tech, He's going to be there in Florida for this launch, should it regardless of whether or not a transpires, I should say, Ed, help us understand the magnitude of this, what this means kind of in the history of space exploration.
Speaker 13: Yeah, this is the great next step in America's ambition to have humans back on the Moon. In this mission Artemists too, they're basically doing a fly by or a fly around the Moon, so they travel deep into space two hundred and eighty five thousand miles, go around the Moon, and come back. But it's you know, it's the great dress rehearsal for the technology essentially that's that's planned to get humankind and driven by NASA America back to the Moon maybe twenty twenty eight. And it is the space launch system principally built by Boeing and then the Iran spacecraft principle be built by Lockheed and you know, it's a project that is way behind schedule, frankly and massively over budget, but a big moment if we go off this week.
Speaker 2: We know there are four astronauts. I do know one of them is named Christina. I also know that neither none of the three of us were invited to go on this mission, which we're a little salty about. But what do we know about these individuals and how they got selected.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so there there's essentially three US citizens and one Canadian. It's a great international collaboration, you know, beyond the crew themselves. The European Space Agency has a hand some of the technology of the full Stack as well. But you know, they are people with vast experience. Reid Wiseman is the commander of the mission. He's you know, classic former Navy test pilot, has has previously been to ISS Victor Glover will be the first black astronaut to travel to lunar distance. So it's you know, it's kind of a significant moment in history from that standpoint, but he's been you know on prior SpaceX driven mission. SpaceX Crew one. Christina, who you mentioned, is the mission specialist electrical engineer. She actually holds the record for the longest continuous spaceflight by a woman. And then the Canadian is Jeremy Hanson, first Canadian assigned to a Luna mission. So a lot of first but highly decorated and experienced CREWE specialist.
Speaker 2: I feel like I can adopt that for myself here Bloomer mission specialist.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Davin, and we're looking at live pictures now. Our viewers on TV and a Blobery Dog common on the app can see those pictures there in Florida. What can you expect as you make your way there? And as I said, there's some uncertainty, of course whether or not this is going to and you mentioned that delays this program has faced over many many years. Now, Yeah, walks through what's going to transpire here over the course of the week leading up to that final countdown.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean NASA, you know, is communicating very regularly. And whether you take that as indication of confidence, you know, it's hard to tell. Space launch when it involves human life is complex. There are systems issues. They will run tests. They are not doing a full dress rehearsal, which they had done in the month of March early March, late February. They will track the weather very closely, but it all gets toward the earliest opportunity to launch, which is six twenty four pm Eastern Time on Wednesday, April first. And you know, the system is a mix of highly synchronized autonomous technology, human judgment call, and again the weather is a big factor, you know on the range at KC, so that will constantly be launched.
Speaker 6: But the crew are there.
Speaker 13: You know, they've arrived I believe, Friday afternoon having been in quarantine and mandatory quarantine, and it is all tracking to that early launch window. But there are backup windows over consected days through Monday night.
Speaker 2: So this mission is essentially kind of doing a lunar flyby. Is it the next mission that the hope is they will actually get boots on the Moon? And why do this? Is it just because as that you know, legendary West Wing episode says this is what's next in human progress?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's the politics of it.
Speaker 13: Frankly, you know, the Trump administration had put the Moon front and center of its own belief of what NASA should be doing. The Artemis program has its origins back in the Bush era George W. But you know Obama didn't really go for the Moon as a priority, and then Trump presidency one carried through Biden and Trump two. You know, Artemis one, which was testing the Orion spacecraft and space launch system, was supposed to go in twenty seventeen. It went in twenty two, and that's had a cascading effect. But the goal on paper is to get human boots, American boots on the Moon's surface in twenty twenty eight, with the geopolitics of knowing China has the same ambition and they're saying twenty thirty. So you know, I wouldn't underestimate that part of the story, the political will to do this, which was a big part of Jared Isaacman's path to becoming administrator. Maybe we can talk about that on another edition of Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's seriously important to this administration.
Speaker 5: Very quickly got about a minute left. I'm curious you mentioned that this is say Boeing and Lockheed joined project. These are kind of old standby government contractors. How has the advent of SpaceX and Blue Origin and the rest have changed the shape of this this program, this particular mission, in any way.
Speaker 13: NASA has committed to that those two as principal contractors through Artemus five. But as Lauren Grush and I broke the story on ten days ago and the administrator confirmed on Tuesday morning they have two new proposals from SpaceX and from Blue Origin to take over the actual role of getting a Ryan from lower four bit to the moon. So right now Space Launch System takes to orbit and carries it or propels it to the moon. There is a you can read about it on Bloomberg dot com. But there is now a propose where actually those two newer names will probably step in and do what those others have struggled to do.
Speaker 5: Ed come back if you were that, said Lad Love course the ank or Bloomberg Tech, and he said a great order. As we said, anytime you can take that victory Love for any scoops you have it, we'll have you back on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.