Speaker 1: Welcome NFL Dailey, where we cannot believe the season is over one week from right now, I'm Greg Rosenthal in my garage talking to my friend Jordan rod Riegue of the Athletic and setting up what is gonna be an awesome week. We are not heading down to New Orleans, Jordan until Tuesday, so we'll have some fun today. We got some news, we got some all pros to talk about, and we'll have fun tonight as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're not heading down to New Orleans yet, because we have a very good cause to champion. Tonight, you me a couple of big time guests on the live taping of the Menachimes, and to be clear, other people are the big time guests. It's you me and then the big time guests on the MENA Times show featuring Lenny at the Belasco, which I still cannot freaking believe that we are getting to be on that stage, and Kobe Turner is going to take the stage at the Belasco all for wildfire relief efforts. Of the funds raised tonight this is it will be Monday Night in Los Angeles will go to fire relief efforts and Omaha Productions is matching all of it too, which is really rock star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also a Kobe Turner jersey which which the NFL has chipped in, which is a game warn jersey from the playoff appear. And so yeah, if you're hearing this on Monday, it is not too late to head downtown little foggy here in Los Angeles on Monday, stay warm, come with us, have fun. It'll be outstanding, And this show's gonna be fun too. We're going to talk about all the coordinator hires, but we're gonna do it quickly, Jordan, because the two of us like to honk. So I'm putting a clock on that, and then we're gonna go back and we're gonna make our all pro teams because I want a document at the beginning of the year we set up our ideal roster, and I want a document that that shows us who the best players of twenty twenty five are. Why are you laughing?
Speaker 2: It was like such a stressful show in the best way, because we were like, this is the platonically ideal roster. Yeah, then like each of us like forgot a player or then like counted wrong, and then we did great. We defined everything's good. That document exists in the ether.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, no, I have it. I have it. This will be a little more straight in arrow. Our All Pro Team, the official NFL Daily All Pro Team, and our award winners NFL Honors is coming up Thursday night, so we talk about it all season long. I did want to close that circle too and give you our award winners, and we're gonna have to come to an agreement, which I really like. But we have to start the show talking about Miles Garrett. Monday morning, Miles Garrett sees Luka Doncic traded to the Lakers. The next day it's Darren Fox is going with Wemby and san Antonio, and I'm thinking, man, this NBA trade deadline is going to dominate the whole lead up to the Super Bowl, and Miles Garrett, He's got our back. He releases a statement through Ian Rappaport that's at least where I saw it first on Monday morning that he wants to be traded from the Cleveland Browns, saying that his goal in his career was not to go from Cleveland to Canton. It is to win championships along the way, and he wants to do that somewhere other than the Browns. A lot of directions we can go here, Jordan, but do you think it's realistic that it actually happens for some context the Browns GM. Andrew Barry said just last week maybe he says this was coming, that we do not plan to trade Miles Garrett, we do not want to trade Miles Garrett, and that he could have a contract coming up in his future. Miles Garrett apparently does not want that contract, at least not right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to peel back the curtain a little bit too, something like this does come up to a general manager when local reporters, people on the beat, the beat reporters there in Cleveland, catch a whiff of some unsettling situation and then take the opportunity. The first time they'll really get an availability with the GM all off season is at the Senior Bowl. And this is where this conversation took place, where he was asked, including by my colleague Zach Jackson, about whether or not they would ever consider trading Miles Garrett and even if there were two first round picks on the table. And Andrew Barry said, no, we're not doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, wow, I wouldn't know that that they even gave him the two first h.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was Zach, my colleague at the Athletic and so it was that's the context of why that bubbled up. And so now as a response or a reaction, Miles Garrett and his camp clearly have had this planned or in the works, and then I think release a very nice statement about what this means and what this really is for him and requesting a trade and alerting the team. Now, it could get not nice in a hurry. Greg, And that's where I think you have to be really careful if you're the because if your star player and one of the faces of the NFL, one of the best players pass rushers we've ever seen, is going to get contentious in this or going to be like stay in this path and be adamant about this. Like if it's not just a I need you to change these things or else I'm going sort of a veiled threat. If it's a real legitimate thing, then this could get messy in a hurry, and the next few weeks are going to be absolutely nuts.
Speaker 1: Well, him releasing the statement that clearly I think puts it past that point where it's messy. He's putting it out this week because he knows this is the time of year big trades could potentially happen, is really leading into the free agency period. And we've seen quarterbacks get traded during this week or agreed to chants during this week. Yes, Stafford Cousins, And so Garrett's that level of player and that the trade is big enough that it could take a month to get going and it will be a talking point unless something changes until free agency starts. Now. I think it could be very difficult for the Browns to do it because it does not help them financially. If they traded him, they would actually take a cap hit this year in addition to the dead money to trade him away. And yeah, you're taking that short term pain now, but it's getting rid of a player you're not planning to get rid of because they just renegotiated his contract in part because of the Deshaun Watson mess right before the twenty twenty three season, So it'd be painful to let him go. If they traded him after June first, they would actually get a little bit of caper leaf, like five million dollars in capperleaf, and they could spread the hits out, but again, you wouldn't have Miles Garrett, and that timeline probably doesn't work for the other teams out there. They're one of the teams that does not have any cap room. Now, you can always make room, and the Watson contract has some insurance loopholes that I do want to even get into, and there's other contracts. They're going to be able to move their contracts around. But they are not a team that has a ton of space to suddenly get worse, and I don't know if they're really having an appetite to get worse. So their solution might be to just offer Miles Garrett a ton of money, even more money, make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. Again, that's to me question number one, because I have to imagine they'll do that because I don't think they will want to trade him. Maybe you disagree, because there is an argument, Jordan that actually this is the perfect time to trade him. He's been there seven years. It's not like they haven't gotten amazing value at him. He is still playing as a Defensive Player of the Year level. I think he might win the award this week. If he doesn't, he's one of the finalists, he'll be in the top couple. But he is about to turn thirty next year, and his value is so high right now that what could you get for him? Could you get a first plus? Could you get two first for him? If you're a Browns team that's probably not contending this year, you have to at least think about it, because are you gonna be good by the time Miles Garrett, you know, starts aging. Are you gonna be good in the in the meant him? Probably not? So if you're getting possibly two first for Miles Garrett, maybe you do think about it. Where would you like to see him possibly go? Or do you have any any ones you just want to throw out there?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, I wanted to get further back in your sentence there and address another point that you made where it to me it is organizational malpractice the way that they've had this guy on their roster and have not maximized the roster and in fact done quite the opposite. This one move of going out and acquiring Deshaun Watson and using the picks that they did, only for him to just be a bad football player. And that's not even touching the entire rest of the mess surrounding Deshaun Watson, but just to be a bad football player and to creator the potential of that roster and to creator the potential of a player of that caliber where you're supposed to be the franchise face and instead the only conversation around your team as a brand is this mess that they've made. So I think this is multi layer. If I'm Miles Garrett, It's like You're supposed to be the cornerstone and the face of this organization and instead everything else around this team has only been a plummeting your potential and be plummeting you as a brand, because that's all anyone wants to talk about. And I'm not saying that's the most important thing, but it's like, you want to go somewhere where you are going to be a valued in the sense that a team is going to win with you and around you, and also you know you got you want to go win a Super Bowl. And he said that as plainly as he possibly could in his statement. And I don't see any aspect of this Brown's roster with the mess that they've created over the next couple of years that is capable or even possible of contending for a deep postseason run, let alone the super Bowl. And so I think when you're looking at a couple of teams that might have interest and might do whatever it takes, because this is gonna be a whatever it takes trade, Like if he's available, if they're actually answering your phone call, because they've been adamant that they won't. If they're actually answering your phone call, you do whatever you can. You shake out every mattress, you shake out, You shake out every mattress you have, You look under the cushions of every sofa in the building, and you shake down whatever you can to get this guy in your building. And so I think it's a it's a Buffalo bills question. Honestly, I think that, you know what, I'm not going to rule out. I think it could be a Kansas City chiefs question. I know, I know it's a but, but it's true.
Speaker 1: It is without a ton of cap room. The bills actually are thirteen million dollars over the cap as we speak now. There of course, like every teams around that, you can always vond Miller. They're going to restructure Josh Allen. There's other people that they can cut, but there are other teams that can do it more easily than the Bills for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the San Francisco forty nine ers I see as a team. And by the way, I want to point out I mentioned this to you and Mina the other day, is I don't think the Raiders think that they're gonna like take like seven years to build up this roster. I think they're gonna with Pete Carroll on the three year deal. I think they're going to make some moves this offseason. And so I think that that should be on the table. Detroit should be on the table for a possible Miles Garrett trade. Really, it's easier to ask like who would never do it? Right? And that's yeah, because there's it's Miles freaking Garrett. What are you doing Cleveland?
Speaker 1: God, well, they're they're probably not doing anything or they're not trying to do anything. But I tried to think of historical precedence for these types of moves, just to think about.
Speaker 2: You mean the NBA one that happened three days.
Speaker 1: No, I mean that one. That is why level that was wild that there is no precedent for that in the NFL. Let's be real. The closest I could come up with was if you sort of combined the two Khalil Mac trades and made it in between, because the first Khalil mactrade, he's not as he wasn't as good a player as Garrett, but after four years, the way people thought about him, he wasn't on a totally different planet, and that was that was a crazy deal to first more a ton of seconds more than that. If that was after four years in the league, twenty five year old, that's a little different. And then the next Khalil Mac trade is actually where closer to where Garrett is, but at that point Mack was not nearly the same player that was after eight years in the league, and there was much less return. Richard Seymour got traded around the same age after eight years in the league, future Hall of Famer, but had even maybe just started his downturn, which Garrett hasn't. They got they got a top fifteen pick for Richard Seymour. John Abraham was a trade where they got a first four. Jared Allen. People forget that was a blockbuster trade from the Chiefs to the Vikings where they got a first, a couple of thirds and again they were a little younger. I think the fact that Garrett is better than all these players maybe makes up for the fact that he's a little older than most of them. And if if Richard Seymour at around the same age as getting a first round pick. And I know this is twenty years ago, the league has changed, but you just said it. It's Miles freaking Garrett. And Mike Tannenbaum, who was running a team and was just helping the team hire a coach. He was on get up this year, saying at the trade deadline he would give up like three first three seconds, literally everything if he was the Lions to do it. And I don't think it's going to cost that, but I think a couple teams could be willing to. Some came to mind. The Raiders, I agree with. They have ninety million in cap space and the Patriots have one hundred and thirty. And Mike Rabel was in Cleveland's building last year. But if he wants to win a championship, how does that make any sense? If you're Miles Garrett, it doesn't to me. So I thought Commanders are up there with an insane amount of cap space. The Lions have a ton of cap space, and they've shown that they'll be aggressive. This doesn't feel like a Packers move, but they have plenty of space. The Chargers, I think are gonna be very much in go now mode and they have a boatload of cap space. And I don't know if Khalil Mack or Joey Bosa is on that team. Yeah next year, so that that's a possibility. The Bills come to mind. They made that move for von Miller didn't really work out. They would be a little tougher financially to make it all work because I think if you're trading for him, you're probably you're giving them a new contract too. So you're right though that there's almost more teams because when you look at the cap space, as it's one of my favorite things I just repeat every there's there's way too much cap space out there. I mean, there's like fifteen teams with more than forty million dollars in cap space. There's seven or eight teams with over sixty. Like, what are you gonna do with all that cap space? There's not enough good players out there. You don't have enough good players on your team, so someone should back up the brinks track, make Andrew Berry say no.
Speaker 2: And the little known fact, very little known fact about the way that the spending stipulations work in the NFL. Every three years you have to hit a minimum spending threshold. So yes to your point, Greg, every team that has money, go get him, get him out of there. We want good things for Miles Garrett. We may never see another player like him, and he's just excellent. He is joy Go bring him. That's why I like the Commanders because I'm like, I was thinking about this obviously, just from you know, what would make me really happy to see Miles Garrett and Dan Quinn and Jada Daniels and how much fun they would all have. See Miles Garrett in front of my player, Frankie Luvu just wrecking stuff with Jeremy Chin behind him. I mean, my god, that would be impeccable, impeccable vibes all around.
Speaker 1: They have seventy eight million dollars in cap space, they have Jaden and Daniels a quarterback on the books for cheap for the next few years. Them, the Chargers and the Lions felt the most realistic of teams that would actually do it and have the space and make sense the forty nine ers would be in that mix as well for me. But I really don't think the Browns are going to want to. If nothing else, all they've had over the last twenty years other than that one playoff win, which was with Kevin Stefanski, you know, is Joe Thomas in Miles Garrett, and Miles Garrett doesn't want to be the next Joe Thomas. But I think the Browns are, like, we have an all time great. Our fans are gonna desert us. They're gonna start bringing coffins to the arena like Mavericks fans were doing after the Luca trade.
Speaker 2: Last question, Greg, Yeah, so the breg The Browns do not, said the Briggs. The Browns do not want to do this. They've made that clear. Obviously, that will only up the asking price. If you're the Browns and someone puts a quarterback on the table, a starting caliber, quality quarterback on the table, do you make the move?
Speaker 1: Oh, just thinking out loud, I think about it, because yes, because Garrett wants out, and because of what I said about the perfect time of it all hit the combination of his eight he will get worse at some point and he has to be at the tail end of his prime. He hasn't shown anything. But if you could get a quarterback plus, that's the reason why Miles Garrett wants to leave. Now he might be like, you haven't had a quarterback this whole time. Now, who would that be? You know, Matthew Stafford obviously comes to mind. Like a Sam Darnold plus a first round pick. You know, it starts getting interesting. I think if you're the Browns, yes, if you can and you're not in love with Shedur Sanders or cam Ward especially, that you could plug a couple holes, not give up. You know, you'd have your number two overall pick and maybe get better fast. I like, I like where you're going. That's pretty good. All right, let's talk. Let's talk about the coaches. I coordinator hires are the new coaching hires now that you know, we're still waiting for the Saints to actually happen, and there's a lot of a lot of interesting What we're putting the clock on Chris is behind the wall here, Chris, he's putting a silent clock on us. I'm limiting this to ten minutes, and it could be less. If we can go less. That's great, we can get to the All pros even sooner. But ten minutes max. We'll get a warning and a little ticking time bomb at one minute. So let's start with the Raiders. Start the clock. Chip Kelly is the Raiders offensive coordinator. How cool is this? I talk about like making more fun for fans. This is cool.
Speaker 2: It's Chip Kelly and Pete Carroll guys like it just doesn't get any Just like, wait, what mad libs than that? I love it. I think that's gonna be fun. Obviously, they need so many things. They need a quarterback, they need a second pass catcher outside of Brock Bowers. They need to revamp this historically bad run game, all of these things that Chip Kelly has this really tall task ahead of him now. But man, just some paper alone. I just like the look of that.
Speaker 1: They're a little like the Giants to me, where I don't think there is quite as far away on offense as people think. I don't think their offensive line is that bad. They do have Jacoby Myers and Michael Meyer, who are great role players. You just need your right another receiver in that do she.
Speaker 2: Had raph Bowers? You make him the thing that everything goes through. I could totally see Chip Kelly doing that, making him sort of the joker player on offense that everything the entire offense goes through would be a Chip Kelly move.
Speaker 1: And he's an offensive coordinator instead of him as a head coach. He's been out of the league. It just shows how coaching like he comes so quickly. Like, you know, any NFL team could have hired Chip Kelly, probably out of UCLA if they really want to do for a while. And he has a hot year with with Ohio State, and even Ohio State had some some ups and downs, but I love it from Carroll's perspective, didn't go with Darryl Bevell, didn't go with his old guys. I like a lot of the moves they've made. They kept Patrick Graham, we hadn't talked about that, They kept their special teams coordinator. So he's picking and choosing who makes sense. But he's also willing to take a chance. The reporting from your friend to Sean Reid, who hopefully will see tonight down at the show, is that John Spytech, the you know, the the GM is helping them along the way with these coaching hires. And the thing that really struck me before we move on from this. They're paying Chip Kelly six million dollars. He is making more money than some head coaches in the league. While Jerry Jones doesn't want to pay one single year of a coach like out of his contract, Mark Davis is paying for like four different staffs. He's probably still paying Josh McDaniels, like Patrick Graham's still there, probably on his Josh McDaniels contract. Shout out to Patrick Graham. He's that good that he's survived all these firings. But they're paying six million dollars to Chip Kelly. I thought that was if you're a Raiders fan, I think you'd love to hear that. You'll have to see it. You're like, move on or else we're never gonna have time. Let's go to the Jets. Tanner Engstrom better Engstrand. Tanner and Strand got to get used to that.
Speaker 2: He had a real tough time listeners. He had a real tough time with this.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring that up on my email, which I was dedicated. I was watching my son at his sporting event on Sunday. I'm outside, you know, sending show notes. I spelled it Augstrand. I didn't know this guy. Who knows this guy, he's like twenty eight years old. That they hired him and Scott Turner as a passing game coordinator too. I kind of like that combination. And they kept their wide receivers coach Sean Jefferson, who's one of the best in the business.
Speaker 2: I like that Tanner Engstrom. Engstrand was with the Lions since twenty twenty, so he was there alongside Ben Johnson and spent a lot of time with Ben Johnson as his assistant when Ben Johnson was coaching tight ends and then moving up into OC and then Ben Johnson promoted Tanner into a more prominent role as well as coaching tight ends in Detroit. So he's he understands like how to run pieces of this offense. He understands what it takes what it looks like to be a really, really good offensive coordinator. And I like Scott Turner. I think everywhere Scott Turner has been, where he hasn't been scapegoaded, he's been a really solid mind and a really solid presence to have in the room. I've known Scott Turner for a long time, and I just think he's a good fit over there. I think it's good vibes over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Really interesting that Dan Campbell didn't choose to go with him and Engstron, and I think that was the expectation locally, and he did promote from within it on defense, but on offense they went with John Morton. They also hired David Shaw, the former Stanford coach, which is interesting. But Engstron is the eighth Lions assistant coach to leave. One of them was asked not to come back, So that's really seven that were hired by other places. That's a lot. That's a lot to deal with, and Dan Campbell will really be tested. And I do think when you think about what works in a Lion's type of offense, or even Scott Turner, I mean, Aaron Rodgers is just the just for the football is probably better than they can do else why elsewhere, Like just in terms of who can play football the best for them in twenty twenty five, he's probably better now. The contract and the person make it less palatable to bring him back. But I think this move like I could see him in that offense. Let's go to the Cowboys. They hired Clayton Adams we had mentioned this was a possibility. He's he was the offensive line coach for the Cardinals, known for his running game chops shoddy kind of putting together a fun little staff there in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I liked the Cowboys right now in terms of what they look like on paper. With that coaching staff, this tells me that they want to run the ball, and they want to do it in a variety of ways. Now, the Cowboys have physically stated this in years past, and then the moves they've made have been really questionable and told us no, they actually don't want to run the ball and don't care having a fully developed and asserting an attacking run game. But hiring Clayton Adams actually does tell me, Okay, we noticed our We've recognized our flaws in this phase a little bit. We're a little bit light in the pants here, So now we need to go and Drew petzing this thing up a little bit. I think that this is a good hire. I'm excited to see how it manifests on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and hiring Brian Schottenheimer tells you that too, that I'm sure he was stressing the run game. And you can connect the dots with reports that come out. The report was that Kellen Moore was looking at Clayton Adams. They both have went to Boise State for what it's worth as his offensive coordinator, and then like an hour later, it's like, oh, the Cowboys probably raised their offer to Clayton Adams and closed the deal. The Bucks are hiring Josh Grizzard, a man who I wasn't familiar with, but was with Mike McDaniel in Miami and then was with the Bucks on their staff last year and was their third down play caller. And you know who led the NFL and third down efficiency last year. Now I'm just kidding, yeah, I mean yeah, but they got it done without Chris Cowin, so I like that. They they interviewed a lot of interesting names, I thought, but then they hired the guy from within. So some continuity there for Baker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what I wrote in my note system continuity. They're going to have to take this into a two point zero version of what they were in last year because everything they did was on tape. So this is going to be interesting. I am excited because of his experience with Mike McDaniel. I am interested to see how forty nine ers up. This kind of goes now that Liam Cohen, who had some of the RAMS influences, is out of the building.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. And I like Craig Baker finally having a little continuity here. The players all seemed like they were fans of grizz who's a young guy kind of looks like a McDaniel type.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that at the Senior Bowl or not? At the Pro Bowl? Baker told reporters that, and I think he was joking, but it's Baker sees a lot of dip on his chip that he left Liam Cohen on Red when he was telling him about potentially taking this job. Spicy Baker is the best Baker.
Speaker 1: There's been some reporting the Saints have told other coaching candidates in the in their coaching search, which would probably be Anthony Weaver, that they are trying to move forward essentially with Kellen Moore. They're going to wait to talk to him to after the Super Bowl. That The interesting thing here is our friends at the Saints Block Party podcast set on their show that Kellen Moore told the Saints he only wants the job if they don't keep Derek Carr. They've nailed their sources and their stories over the year. Is that is spicy. I love that.
Speaker 2: They're plugged in. I listened to your show from the Senior Bowl where they were patched in from the Senior Bowl this morning. Actually, I thought they did a great job, and I learned I don't watch a single prospect other than with a bullet chips on a Saturday if I'm ever at home instead of traveling through the college football season. So I felt like they got me ready to hit draft season and running some good intel there. But yeah, they've they've been on it, like they had the Ben Johnson reporting that nobody else had.
Speaker 1: They clearly I don't know who inside the building who No, I'm just kidding. They got they got someone. But that's really interesting because then Derek Carr will become available. He's not going to be the guy that you want as your quarterback, but he probably will be starting other Oh, we got the clock on. We have less than a minute. Last one. Jaguars hire Anthony Campanilea. Do you have any thoughts on him? The Packers linebackers coach. Kind of an up and coming guy.
Speaker 2: He was on hard knocks at some point too, wasn't he if I'm maybe I'm mistaking now you're right for people. But okay. So one thing about the Jags that is maybe a little bit more interesting than this is that they're going to start honing in on their general manager candidates this week. So expect to see a few names start getting floated around UH as that part of the football building gets built out, It's going to be interesting. Everybody will report to Shad Khan according to what's coming out of that building right now.
Speaker 1: He had a fiery speech in the Dolphins hard Knocks. Good call. People love him. We did it in under a minute. I'm a little worried they're under.
Speaker 2: Of course it was you, Greg.
Speaker 1: Of course that was so close. I don't care. It's our show, Jordan. I can say what I want. It is a first time head coach with a first time defensive coordinator, very very young, and he's gonna have.
Speaker 2: A first time oh see, and he might have a first time GM.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that that happened in Seattle last year, and I think there were maybe some regrets in terms of the coaching staff. That happened in Tennessee did not go well for them in Tennessee last year.
Speaker 2: A part of this is Liam Cohen has been trying to bring in people that he knows, but the Bucks keep blocking him. And I think they're fair to be doing yet right now, they're trying to keep their own continuity in place over there. They've got to think about themselves. And you know, and and Liam, I think you know, because he's jumped around so much over the last several years, it is difficult to assess, okay, way over, what direction are what direction are well you started it? What direction are we going? And then how can we actually form an identity? But then the who of it is the big question as well, because there's just a lot of dispersal around the league of people that he's worked with before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to be challenging. One other news item wanted to mention before we go to break. I had mentioned the accusations against Justin Tucker on our last show, and I did just want to update that three additional massage therapists are accusing Ravens kicker Justin Tucker of sexually inappropriate behavior. Again, great reporting by the Baltimore Banner in terms of just the first hand accounts and having everything really buttoned up, and I would recommend everyone just read that. Just from my vantage point. What's striking is how the new accusations are so consistent in the stories are all very similar, and with one of the recent accusations, there's some documentation of the therapist no longer wanting to work with Justin Tucker because of his behavior. So we will have to wait and see how the Ravens and or the league respond on that. Let's take a quick break. We're gonna come back and we are gonna do our All Pro teams. It's never too late. We're taking the playoffs into account. We're gonna do some awards right after this back on NFL Daily. I'm really excited about this. I didn't want to get into the off season before doing our official NFL Daily All Pro Team. We decide on our perfect roster before the season, Jordan, that was fifty three men. This is more select and what this is gonna be is our all Pro team, and there's a difference between ours and the one that's already out there. We're allowing playoff performances to impact our voting. If we want, it could be a tie breaker, it could be something that takes someone off the table or puts them over the top. We're going to do first and second teams. We're gonna have a document and I plan to do NFL Daily for the next twenty four years. I would say so every year we will have this, and my goal is for this to be on the Pro Football Reference page. They'll actually list the NFL Daily All Pros as a special honor first and second team. Let's start with quarterback. And yes, we're going to do the awards. NFL Honors is Thursday night in New Orleans. We're going to do the awards at the end of the show as well. We'll pick We'll pick our guys to me, you tell me if you disagree. I think it was pretty obvious that the two quarterbacks are still Josh Allen in Lamar Jackson. I don't. I don't think there's much case for anyone else to be in there. It's just deciding the order. What is your order, or do you disagree and have a different quarterback in there.
Speaker 2: Lamar Jackson is first to me, and so he would be my first team selection. I wanted to at least open the table because I have both of these names down. Wanted to at least open a brief discussion. Should we at least talk about Joe Burrow for second team? Yes, because I think this could have This could really go in so many ways. But it's really hard to argue with Joe Burrow's production this season, and really, he would have been all the way down the line in this MVP conversation had he a better team like these other two quarterbacks had, and he would have been all the way down the line in this discussion as well as a three headed MVP conversation for quarterbacks, had he even had they made the playoffs, which we are considering. And so because we're considering the playoffs, I'm not I have Lamar first in Josh second. But I wanted to at least talk about Joe Burrow and give him his flowers here because if he would have, if they would have at least snuck into the playoffs, this makes this conversation way more interesting, and I think reintroduces a third person into it.
Speaker 1: That's fair. I should have mentioned that to me, he's a really strong third. Yeah, to me, he is third, And it's not because of the playoffs. That's part of it. That's more the MVP for me, like he is a lot lower. Not a lot lower, I should say, but he is lower. Let's say in some of the advanced metrics like QBR, it's one two three, these three guys and Broke the other two are basically tied, and it's because of all the sacks he took. And I actually think that is a playing style thing. So I actually think between the rushing value, which Alan and Lamar have so much rushing value it's just outrageous, and the sack avoidance that especially Allen has, but that even Lamar has compared to Joe Burrow, I actually think that, and how they played in late and close situations, the other two get a little bit of an edge. That he's still third to me just regular season, but it's really close. He could have maybe won the MVP last year. I actually think he would have. He would have been my pick. I think for MVP A year ago he was out obviously better to me than Lamar, Jackson or brock Perty or whoever you would have voted for a year ago Burrow. But this year, that's how it goes. I guess we'll go Lamar then first team. I wrote Allen down first team, but I kind of wrote it as like I'm just gonna give this one a Jordan, because I have other ones I feel strongly about, and it's just a coin. I don't I don't know. I never made up my mind between Gibe.
Speaker 2: You're Kitty vote. Yeah, I did. I've made it. I had my I have my mind made up. And it's not taking anything away from anyone. It's just that that's how I see the body of work that they put together this year, and both are great. And I did think it was important to bring up Burrow though, because I just think we are seeing especially with these three. And then I put Patrick Mahomes and then you obviously also and this before people freak out, listen to the second part of my sense, and I think you have to put Matthew Stafford in this conversation too, of quarterbacks who do the most at the line of skirmage, and Lamar is incredible at this and it's really cool watching every year more and more and more and more is a signed to him that he handles at the line, and Josh Allen has done more and more and more as time has passed. Joe Burrows has entered the league doing this, but has done more as time has passed. Matthew Stafford's been doing this for ten years. Patrick Mahomes is elite at it, and I just think that when you talk about quarterbacks who are like orchestrating their entire system at elite levels, these are the quarterbacks that you could say that about. Now, the quarterbacks I'd want to build a franchise around are Lamar, Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Jaden Daniels. So I wanted to just throw those guys some flowers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting category of like who does the most, and I would say it'd be Mahomes and Burrow, but Alan is getting there, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: And I don't think he gets talked about enough for.
Speaker 1: How much Lamar and Lamar. Absolutely, it's been increasing incrementally, especially with Todd Monkin. All Right, we'll go, We're gonna go Lamar Jack one, Josh Allen two. And the playoffs of it all was an interesting thought experiment here because while Josh Allen and his team beat the Ravens and Lamar had an up and down game, the playoffs didn't make any difference for me trying to separate those two because actually, I think Josh Allen had maybe his worst two game stretch of the season in the playoffs, his last two games, and it wasn't bad, but it was just kind of not quite integral in the in the Ravens win, and not great in the AFC Championship, worse than I thought when I went back to rewatch that. So they didn't really separate themselves. If anything, I think Lamar's average game was probably a little better in the playoffs, but not a big deal. Let's go Let's go on. We can't spend all day running back. It's only two running backs here, Okay? Who are your first and second team?
Speaker 2: First team Saquon second team Derrick Henry, honorable mention Josh Jacobs. Okay, but first team Saquon Barkley definitively not a doubt in my mind, and second team is Derrick Henry for me?
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree. I checked out the actual voting with this too. Gibbs was the only other player that got a couple votes, and it.
Speaker 2: Was barely I'm only got some votes.
Speaker 1: It was almost literally every single person voted Saquon one, Henry two. It wasn't even like Henry got a couple first No, it's like I think it was forty eight people voted Henry two and two people voted Gibbs too, and other than that, everyone agreed, and I agree too. In another year, Gibbs or Bijon I think could have been first team or second team. This just was a crazy year for running backs, and Jacobs would have gotten some votes as well, including yours.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I was talking to t Sean. We mentioned earlier my colleague at the Athletic he covers the readers, and we were laughing because the Raiders couldn't even win the My former running back goes somewhere else and has an amazing season storyline this year, like two other teams won and above them. So I'd like four Raiders, like they can't even win that one, Like they can't even win the storyline.
Speaker 1: Although he looks much better in the Packers' uniform, I gotta give it to him. Okay, wide receiver. It's funny because only two running backs make it, and then six receivers make it, which is interesting. That's how it's set up in terms of the All Pro voting. UH three on the first team, three on the second. We'll go back and forth in terms of who goes first, So I'll go first with receivers, and my first team was Jamar Chase Justin Jefferson. Those were easy too for me, and I went aj Brown with with my third pick. My second team is Pukinakua, Terry McLaurin, and aman Ra st Brown. I can get into the honorable mentions, but those are my two teams. So that's good.
Speaker 2: It's good, and I do want to extrapolate on this a little bit more. Yes, it's I'm n raw. Saint Brown had over a seventy percent success rate on targeted plays, which is just the second best among any receiver this year, and the first was Chris Godwin, who got an Honorable Flowers nod from me because he would have been a first team All Pro in my opinion, had he had the entirety of the season. And then I wanted to point to Pooka Akua and both of those guys, I'm on Ron Pookinakua fit in this category to me of if you have to have a play, that's who you that's who makes the play, like they're just known, Like if you have to have a play, they're gonna get open or they're gonna make it insane catch or they're gonna get the ball somehow, whether it's scheme, whether it is the quarterback making a play to the receiver, whether it's the receiver making a play. And those two guys, in my opinion, are right there next to each other in that regard of like this is your go to if you have to have a play that's not your necessarily, like you're Justin Jefferson a team without you know, a Justin Jefferson or a true ex in that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Pukut didn't. I was surprised. I hadn't checked out all the voting, but Puka didn't come that close to actually making the second team. So I'm a little surprised. I give more weight to what did you do when you were out there, and on a yards per target run efficiency, it was one of the greatest wide receiver seasons of all time. It was actually better than any other receiver this year by a decent amount. And so that's enough for me. With the miss time that he gets on the second team, aman Ra's numbers were ultimately better than AJ Brown, so were Terry mclaurin's. He got thirteen touchdowns ag Brown had nine. I believe they both didn't go over eleven hundred yards, which isn't crazy. And I know he wasn't as good after the injury, but when he was healthy and it was like the first thirteen games of the season or whatever, so it was most of the season. I think if you just watch the tape.
Speaker 2: And see what a.
Speaker 1: AJ Brown's doing, I just think he's better than a moan ra and Terry and so that was just what I went with that. I think I just think he's he was just a little bit better. I actually think he there was a decent argument that he was the best wide receiver in football. Now the production didn't get there and he fell off, so no way at the end. But that's how good he was. You know, Mike Evans could have been mentioned here. He got a lot of votes. Actually you got more than Puka. Brian Thomas wouldn't have been that creas.
Speaker 2: I had him as an honorable mention. I don't think that's crazy at all, especially relative to his experience level. Like you know, I don't think that's crazy at all.
Speaker 1: If there was a third team, I probably would have gone Brian Thomas, Mike Evan CDE lamb, let's go to tight end, give me your two in order. Felt like it was a three man raise for two spots. Tell me if you.
Speaker 2: Disagree, Okay, but yes, but I wanted new blood in there. So I put Brack Bauers and Trey McBride first team and second team. And I did that because I know that, Listen, I know that purely. I'm a fantasy football perspective. People will yell at me, and you might yell at me about Trey McBride. I think he's one of the best tight ends in football. And it is like, I don't argue or look at it from that perspective because I actually don't play fantasy football and I haven't in many, many years, And so I'm looking at it from what these guys are doing right now in the league, from a holistic standpoint, what they mean to their team, and what their production and what they're like levels of excellence are, especially as they are ascending in some of their peers, in my opinion, are maybe on the back stretch of their career. They're the number three and four in receptions in the NFL this year of all targeted players, and both of them eclipsed eleven hundred yards and ten yards per catch, and we're really the workhorses for their offenses, even when other players like Marvin Harrison Junior and the Cardinals was available.
Speaker 1: We've got our first disagreement because I'm going to I will stand on the table and push back. I need to get Kittle on the team. I agree with everything you're saying, and it really is painful for me to take any one of these three off I had McBride third, but I'm willing to kick off Boers if i need to, because I had kiddled first. Because everything you just said about McBride is true about Kittle. They're probably the two best, most complete tight ends. I mean, I this might have been Kittle's best season eleven hundred yards, eight touchdowns, and he's still I think he changes the math in a way as a receiving threat and blocking threat that no one else other than maybe now McBride can do. So I actually think he It's hard for me to say George Kittle in one of his peak seasons, like he's a first ballot Hall of Famer to me, is in one of the two guys Like ultimately, who would I've rather had this season? On my team to help me win, and the stats still back it up. And so I think it's still Kittle over those two guys. So I'll let you choose between the other two. And if I have to be second, I don't know. I'll deal with second team, but I I need Kittle on the team.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, maybe we'll give it to the rookie next year then, because yeah, that's the thing. That's what I said too, is the three man race, like it was so tight to me. But I mean, if you go and watch some of the things that brock Bauer and I know you have Greg, like some of the things that is able to do as a rookie, I mean, you know, okay, but ten years tenure and George Kittle had an amazing season, you.
Speaker 1: Cannot It's it's it's about the every down impact. It's about the blocking basically, and what.
Speaker 2: Well and I think and I think George Kittle would be first in every down impact if we're really if that is like specifically the category of it, I.
Speaker 1: Think of getting there though they'd use him in a lot of creative ways he does.
Speaker 2: Would you let me agree with you for no God's sake, Like just this is how I'll get you next time, is like I'll just like agree with you and then you'll be like oh no and freak out.
Speaker 1: Then have to like, okay, so what are we doing here? We're killing right of Brock Bowers.
Speaker 2: We're going.
Speaker 1: Will we go out? You want to bring McBride first, I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put Tray McBride first.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna go McBride first. Love for McBride. Apologies to Bowers, and man, he's not gonna get Offensive Regular of the Year either. For me. That's tough. Sorry, sorry, Brock, but you'll have future success. We got to speed this up a little left tackle. I had worfs in my lotta as my one two. Okay, shout out to Dion Dawkins. Really nice kind of rebound season. Rashaun Slater is good left guard. What do you have.
Speaker 2: Joe Tooney and Quentin Nelson?
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, I had. I went landon Dickerson in Toney. I guess I'm giving a little bump to the playoffs of it all, although we got you know, he got hurt in the Conference championship, but I don't know. I'm not gonna fight you over Quentin Nelson.
Speaker 2: He did I think, I mean, yeah, I think he just I think he was excellent.
Speaker 1: I did have first team for Dickerson, so.
Speaker 2: Toony's my first team because he's also playing left tackle at times. I mean, for.
Speaker 1: God's sake, but is he? Is he playing it that well? I think it was better in the ac G.
Speaker 2: I don't care. He's moving positions like he's He's able to do it on a championship team in the National Football League. Okay, give him a bone here, Greg.
Speaker 1: Can I can you give me Dickerson then? And now? I owe you one?
Speaker 2: Now one you do, and I'm saving it because I know what you can.
Speaker 1: Tony's won Dickerson two left guard center. We're not offensive line experts. I went, I went create, Humphrey. I didn't know who to pick us my second center. I went Linderbaum. People love them some Zach Frazier, but those are my two. What did you go, Frank? I know, but when I watched them, I don't know. Man. People love him and the on off splits are great, like the PFF numbers are great, but like I actually thought they had some issues. But I'll give you that. That's fine. Humphrey and frank ragnow Franken Creed.
Speaker 2: I did want to give a really positive shout out though, and an honorable mention even though it's not a real thing. But he took on an impossible job. That is Cam Jurgen's you had to be the next guy, yes, after the elite like all star face of the franchise guy, and I think he handled it admirably.
Speaker 1: All right, give me your right guard and your right tackle. Let's let's go fast.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got Quinn Miners and Sam Cosmy, who I really want to get on here is one of the best right guards in the NFL this season. You have it on yours too, Greg showing his notes. Greg Greg is like has a printer in his house. I'm looking digitally here.
Speaker 1: Never I always dog might be one.
Speaker 2: Of the last humans on earth that has a printer in his house. So that's good. Though, someone has to keep a record of this. Quinn Miners and Sam Cosy, he had one sack all season per next Gen and to be able to do that while also feeling and learning and growing as a blocker for a quarterback who can move and run and can can freestyle and create like, that's such a hard thing to do, and I thought he handled it brilliantly. Right tackle, I have Lane Johnson and Pine Sewel.
Speaker 1: I had him but reversed. Man, I think sewell just we were talking about him as like offensive.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah first, yeah, yeah, Oh. I didn't do it in order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I first, Lane second, minors first caused me second and with these offensive linement I did send some emails, some texts around see what people thought, and uh, I think we have good picks. All right, let's go to the edge. We're going to defense. Edge was tough. Why don't you go? I'll go first. I went in the end my first team. There's two on the first team, two on the second. I wrote down like seven names, but my first team in the end, I went with Myles Garrett and Trey Hendrickson. And my second team I went with Micah Parsons. He's kind of like the Puka in aj Brown argument for me that on a down and down basis when you just watched him, I think he was maybe the best player, like on defense in the NFL this year, So I'm giving him a second team. That's how I tend. I go with a higher peak and miss some games. And I want to Daniel Hunter, but as my second team. But I'm really open to conversation here. What do you got?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting. I have Daniel Hunter, Jonathan Greenard, and Micah Parsons as honorable mentions. And I did not give Micah Parsons a complete grade because you know, missing some time this season. I have Miles Garrett and Nick Bonito on my first team.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: However, I would agree with you on Miles Garrett and Trey Hendrickson on my first team and then Nick Bonito and Kyle van Noy.
Speaker 1: What on my side game too?
Speaker 2: This is too much doing it for the old guys. No, I'm in all seriousness. Nick Bonito and Daniel Hunter would make a nice okay, a nice second team in my opin.
Speaker 1: I want to be pushy on Parsons, man, he's so good.
Speaker 2: I feel like you always want to be pushy, isn't Is that.
Speaker 1: Not the I didn't want to on the QB one I didn't know. I wrote down three other names. One of them was Benito, so I'll live with that as a second teamer. I don't love it. He was the seventh name I wrote down, So I'm giving you that. I wrote down Will Anderson as well. Yeah, and I wrote down Van Ginkle. I you know, Van Ginkle to me, is a better choice. If you're going with the Vans, go van Ginkle, not van Noy. But so we have Benito as our second team, we have Garrett and Trey as our first team. We still have one open spot that could be either Parsons, Hunter or one of the one of the Vans.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm putting Daniel Hunter there. If it's Miles, all right, Miles and Tray and then Nick and Daniel. But I want to I want to point out, like I said, I say Kyle van Noy because I want to shout out for the thirty three year olds recently turned thirty three. Cannot imagine how he is twelve and a half sacks, twelve tactics for the last two bad of passes, two forced fumbles, like making a difference in the postseason with a detached like retina slash, broken eye socket, Like that's pretty crazy to me. And so like I'm just wanted to shout him out. Yeah, put him in my honorable mentions.
Speaker 1: Greg as wells I hate not having Michaeh. Parsons on this team instead of Benito? Man, Like, where was Nick Benino in that playoff? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Incredible season? Now you incredible season?
Speaker 1: Now you owe me one?
Speaker 2: Are we not even?
Speaker 1: I don't know who's keeping track? All right, we're even?
Speaker 2: Well you help on this one because this is where Securier was tough.
Speaker 1: Actually, I was pretty clear with my top four. I just didn't know what order to put him in. My top four were Zach Allen, Jalen Carter, Cam Hayward, and Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: Yep, those are too, okay.
Speaker 1: I had two honorable mentions Dexter Lawrence for half a season. I wouldn't have put him on a team, but he probably would have been first team for his half season. And then Leo Williams was pretty sweet for for most of the year. That was the order I wrote them down in Alan, Carter, Hayward, Jones. I don't I don't know if you have a first team like hope. I really think Zach Allen had kind of a first team All Pro type of year. I really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I put Hayward, Alan Jones, Carter.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just do that order. Yeah, because I think Chris Jones. If we're counting the playoffs, you know, he gets a bump for sure. Hayward kind of disappeared a little bit at the end of the year. I don't know, he was maybe fighting suit through something and Carter went crazy. I tell you what, now that we're talking playoffs, actually I don't want to have Hayward as my first team. I want to give some playoffs if we're Carter or Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: If we're talking playoffs, then I think you have to give it to Chris Jones. Jalen. Carter then also also did basically win that game for the Eagles after the Rams, we're trying to make a comeback, so I want to give him a nod there. But I think going that you're not going to get a lot of argument for me on going Zach Allen Chris Jones is.
Speaker 1: Your okay, let's do that. Let's do that. No, we agreed. This is what this is what it is.
Speaker 2: This is this next one about insidelnebackers where I need help because you already know my first two, but I need you. I'm gonna need your help on it. So I'll just give you my first My first team is Zach Bond and Frankie Luvu, but I need your help on the second team because this is one of the positions where like so much, so much is just unknown, like some of the calls, some of the ways that they're aligning their defenses, like all of these things, whether or not their D line is setting them up, and then they have to make up for the D line, and so, you know, there was a couple of guys that really stood out to me. I liked I liked Diane Henley's season for the Chargers. I liked Rocwon Smith's season. I have, of course Fred Warner on here. I have actually as an honorable mention, Ernest Jones quietly had like a really really really good year in Seattle. But I'm gonna need Patrick Queen. You always talk about Patrick Queen, but I you know, I want to.
Speaker 1: Know Patrick, not not this year. I don't have him.
Speaker 2: I have him been an honorable mention as a shout out, but I had Zach Bond and Frankie Louva was my first team, and then I'm open for whatever conversation. For second team.
Speaker 1: This is a position where it was harder to find obvious options. I actually didn't think it was that hard to go Bond and Luvu like you, and then Warner to me is second team because of the same reason that I just said about Pooka and aj Brown. For the first granted it was only like six seven games of the season, he was probably the defensive player of the year. So even though he played through an injury and wasn't the same in the second half of the year, that brilliance was so brilliant. He's an easy second teamer that leaves one spot. And I actually settled pretty strongly on one guy, and it's Blake Cashman.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like that one. You know what I missed. I missed it he because he missed part of the year. But he was absolutely excellent for them when he was in the first part and then in the back part. I totally forgot about him. I knew I was gonna forget someone, but I thought he was excellent this year.
Speaker 1: To me, it was him or Rocon. Rocan so excellent. But until they kind of changed the responsibilities with that Ravens season, like it seemed like Rocon was hurt for a bit, like he was not playing well for a minute and played Cashman missed the perfect amount of games, which was three in the on off splits were crazy, like their defense kind of fell apart without playing Cashman. Yeah, and he made He just felt like a really important blue guy on one of the defining defenses. So I like him as a second teamer. Glad we agreed there all right, cornerback, I am curious where you went. This was one of the toughest ones. Now all Pro separates slot cornerback and outside corner. So outside corner has two spots first team, two spots second team, and then slot is is separate. So let's start with outside corner.
Speaker 2: Yes, so outside corner, I have Pat certain first team, I have Stang first team, Second team. I have Sting's teammate Kamari Lassiter.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I also have Christian Gonzalez, Kamari Lasser and Derek Stingley Junior allowed the lowest and second lowest completion percentages among defenders with at least fifty targets face this season, including the playoffs, totally made the absolute difference in at least their miniature playoff run in that first game, and I just think, like, where the hell are you gonna throw? I'm thinking about it from this perspective, I wanted to get the teammates on there, because where in the hell are you going to throw the football? Obviously, the Chiefs picked them apart right up the seams where they were lacking players, right, And so this is to me, I like having them that these teammates that really anchored this really this defense that could show it was truly outstanding in flashes this year, especially in that playoff game.
Speaker 1: I like the thought, but I'm going to push back on lass. I don't think. I don't think. Although the fourth spot is wide open. So the toughest decision I had this whole time was Stingley or Gonzales on my first team. I ended up going with Stingley because of that playoff game. I think Gonzales probably is a better is a slightly better player, and maybe even at a slightly better season, but that playoff game put it over the top for me. So I went with you and went Stingley and insertan first team Gonzalez second team. That leaves one spot. I think it has to go to one of these four guys. Quinon Mitchell, Oh yeah, Christian Benford. Christian Benford was great this year. He really was like a CB one on a really good defense, Trent McDuffie not probably his best, you know, playing.
Speaker 2: Outside he got moved around her.
Speaker 1: Still ultimately awesome and super valuable and in Denz Award, Like I don't, I'd have to talk to more people about it. But his best games are like the best of anyone's best games. So I wrote him down.
Speaker 2: I would take off Kamari if we put on Quinon.
Speaker 1: That that was the guy I ultimately put in my fourth spot, but I didn't feel strong about it. I would have accepted Benford or maybe McDuffie awards. So let's go Quinnon Mitchell Second team opera? Why not?
Speaker 2: So wait? So PS two staying Christian Gonzales.
Speaker 1: And Mitchell is our outside corners in the slot? Oh wait do it? Do you owe me one yet?
Speaker 2: Because no, let's talk about it. Let's talk about it because I don't know you, you know, but let's talk about it because and I've been texting with one of our friends, bo Wolf, planning that this is what I was going to do to you today. Oh wow, Because when you remember Greg all the way back at the beginning of the season, when all of this needless debate over where is Cooper gen gonna play? When he is finally healthy and what is he going to do and how is he gonna blah blah blah. Okay, Actually he is built ideally for the revamped Vic Fangio defense and the star position, which is a slot position, yes, and it's a hybrid between a safety and a corner, and they have different coverage roles than some teammates sometimes. And to watch Cooper dejene really take over that role and turn into in my opinion, one of the better slot defenders in the entire NFL, especially down the stretch. If you go and watch some of the All twenty two about where he positions himself and where he's just able to affect the direction and the way that plays are made and the way that he has his attackle I think that I would like to talk about him, and bo Wolf does as well, about potentially making this team maybe second team. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't write him down. I should have, because I also wrote down Garrett Williams from the Cardinals just as an honorable mention. I would put de Gine ahead of him, probably Toron Johnson. The actual second team surprised me. It was Derwin James.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that really surprised me on the That's why I felt like.
Speaker 1: I wrote him down. I feel stronger about my second teamer than anything else here. I put Marlin Humphrey, which is what the voters did to as my first team. Yeah too, I put Devin Weatherspoon as my second. Devin Weatherspoon is such a good player, and he didn't have a lot of ball production this year because they didn't like throw at him. But everything you're saying about Degene, I just think if you asked everyone around the league, like who's a better player right now? Who had a better season, I think it's I know he didn't have like crazy numbers, but when you watch him, he might be the He's so good. Devin Witherspoon is so good that I really want him on this team. That first I know.
Speaker 2: I know Devin Witherspoon is so good. He's written on my notes. But I do want to tell you that this this the way that the Eagles are able to stay in their A plus defense the entire game, the championship game. Eagles are able to stay in their A plus defense because they have the sort of master key player that Vic Fangio has always coveted in his schemes, but has now developed some of his coverages forward because he has a quinyon Mitchell and because he has a Cooper gen because he's got safeties playing well, but because he has a like It reminds me of twenty twenty with what they were trying to do at times with the with Jalen Ramsey and then also with Troy Hill at different times where you try to make this an unavoidable player. So you have to tilt all of your coverages away from somebody who happens to be taking up space in the middle field, and you can keep them on tight ends, you can keep them deep if you want to, but you probably don't want to because you want him around the ball at all times. And so I think that that's where I would make this argument. And I was telling Bo last night when I was texting him, I was totally going to do this. And my brain is now wired to automatically argue with you in my head as I make a case for something and then bring somebody onto my team.
Speaker 1: So we're agreeing on Marlon Humphrey for sure.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to take anything away from Devin Weatherston.
Speaker 1: The only person I wrote all on this entire sheet feel strong. Next to was Devin Witherspoon. But you know, it's been a great first year with you, Jordan. No one knows ball like you. I will just give you Cooper de Gene even though I don't agree with it. I mean, he would probably be my third or fourth team. It's not like it's crazy. I'm getting me. I don't like it. Devin Witherspoon, if you're out there, you know Seahawks fans, I believe. I believe he's a better player.
Speaker 2: Devin Witherspoon. I think you're one of the best defensive players in the league. Greg is trying to again.
Speaker 1: Till you wouldn't even think it on over.
Speaker 2: Greg is the ultimate Greg is the ultimate slot corner because he's tilting coverage is left and right and changing goalposts for arguments.
Speaker 1: You know. So for what it's worth, you know Dejeane didn't play the first month.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we have Blake Cashman. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: But here is between these two guys. I don't think Dejeane's heights.
Speaker 2: You wanted Micah Parsons on there, and he's as defensive player in the league.
Speaker 1: For those guys, they were so much better than the other guys.
Speaker 2: Puka Nakua on there too, and he you know.
Speaker 1: Missed the argument for those guys as they were so next level when they did play it. I don't I don't believe the corners. I'm giving it the league, I'm giving it to you. I'm not happy about it. Safeties, I went with the lot both Lions. I went with Joseph and Branch and then I had McKinney the fourth safety. Who did you have? I kind of left that open with I actually put.
Speaker 2: I know it was spotty at first, but I actually put Kyle Hamilton out there too, because once he got moved back and they made some of those adjustments in their secondary, it just was night and day. You could just tell that things were a little bit strained early on. And I just think watching him play is just pure It's just pure joy watching how he navigates space and manipulates it, like it's just awesome to watch.
Speaker 1: I wrote down Derwin as my initial one, like counted him as a safety, but obviously he could put him in the slot, and then, you know, just to have some Cardinals representation, we could put Buddha Baker here as a second.
Speaker 2: I know, and I like that he I liked that he got a nod too, and I put him I put him a question mark. Question mark could be on this list, could be honorable mention.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. We're going Joseph and Branch as our team. I was surprised Branch didn't even come close to making all pro. Wh's just crazy to me. But he would have been. He would have gotten my first place vote. But reasonable minds disagree. I know the production wasn't there at the end, but I just think of his value. And then McKinney's second team, and then it either Hamilton, Buddha or Buddha. I guess for the second team.
Speaker 2: Oh, I probably go Buddha.
Speaker 1: I feel much stronger about my Weatherspoon pick. Can I put him at safety? No, it doesn't really make sense, all right?
Speaker 2: And then finally just put him on the list. Good lord.
Speaker 1: No, actually, let's make a new let's make a new category.
Speaker 2: I don't feel that strongly about anything.
Speaker 1: You're going to do it.
Speaker 2: You do what you want to do.
Speaker 1: We're going to do it every year. Like I said, this is a document. We're putting it up on social every year. We get to add just one player each and you can choose any team, any any position, because let's.
Speaker 2: Put Joe and let's put let's put Burrow back at quarterback as the third, and then we'll put Witherspoon as the third in the slot. I love this. This is great compromise.
Speaker 1: We each get one wild card pick every year, my pick. I love every Weatherspoon. I love that you're getting Joe Burrow on there.
Speaker 2: That. Yeah, I love this. This is this is great. Now, this is the platonically ideal roster.
Speaker 1: Platonic. Yes, I will see we can.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oagsmund ogsmund.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's it for the All Pro team. I thought would be quicker. Of course we're not. Let's take one quick break and we're gonna run through the awards and we're gonna get onto our day down down to the Blasco Theater. Back here all right, wrapping up NFL Daily. It's Super Bowl Week? How crazy is that? It really is boggling my mind that in forty eight hours we will be taping our Wednesday show. We have really great guests, some big time quarterbacks, big time players at other positions. Again, I don't want to jinx it, because sometimes these things change at the last minute. In aggregate, they're gonna be great, but I'm not gonna say say the names. Very excited, but there is there is a name that we're going to be mentioning here for Offensive Rookie of the Year that you know, we we have written down, so hopefully we get to talk to him MVP. We ended up kind of agreeing on Lamar on first team. I didn't feel strong about it. I almost want to just make Saquon the MVP just after these playoffs and we're allowed to vote it, and then I don't have to choose, can we do? Should I do that? I wrote down Lamar Allen Saquon and then literally as we're talking, would be fun to just make it Saquon or No.
Speaker 2: When you wonder why these shows go long, this is an example of why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's go Lamar Allen in Saquon. Jordan has asked for this part of the show. I'm going to present my three and she's just gonna tell me where she disagrees or wants to change it. So I will go Lamar Allen Saquon one, two, three. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I agree?
Speaker 1: Okay, Defensive Player of the Year toughest one. I think it's different than figuring out our All pros like Miles Garrett to me could be first team All Pro, but maybe not Defensive Player of the Year, although he is finalist, because I don't know. It's tough. You have to be you have to be so far ahead of the path, I think to be on a team that bad and he just wasn't so in the end. And I'm thinking about the playoffs too. I'm going Zach Bond Defensive Player of the Year, Patrick number two, and Trey Hendrickson three. I just think when you think about this season, it feels like more it was the Zach Bond season than anything, and he was the key to the best defense in the league.
Speaker 2: WHOA. I think that broke my brain. I mean, I like your argument, but I still think Miles Garrett should be the defensive Player of the Year. I do like your argument. If you went Miles Bond, certain I'd be fine with that.
Speaker 1: I'm sticking with my guy Bond. We'll put in Miles over Tray. I kind of agree with you there at least, so we'll go Certain second and Miles Garrett third. Offensive Player of the Year. This is where Saquon will get his like sloppy seconds kind of weird. Let's just make a quarterback award in an offensive player award separate. But yeah, I went Saquon Chase in Burrow. It's like all the guys that you couldn't give the MVP two necessarily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chase has to be in there. I mean what he accomplished this season, and like it kind of felt sneaky quiet that he yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, Like it just felt like that he just racked up, you know what, a triple crown, and like it just it just felt like it went way under the radar. And maybe that's like part of the machine doing its work because they're trying to suppress his pay eventually or something, but like it just felt like it was I just felt like it was quiet. Like it just was too quiet. I would have liked to see more celebration of that. I know that there was some, but like I just I would have liked to see people focus more on that.
Speaker 1: That's an amazing thing to do, it is, and the Saquon thing bothers me too, because if this was not an MVP running back season, there can't be one, you know, but I yeah, or there can't be one in a season like this again, if you put Saquon into last season, I think he wins this award over twenty twenty three Lamar Jackson, which was one of the week gest MVP years I've ever seen. It happens now. And then there was there was there was a Defensive Player of the Year award where no one knew what who to give and like Terrell Suggs won and he had a good year, but it was just like he got like fifteen votes, but no one knew it happened. Sometimes offensive Rookie of the Year, this is the name I was teasing before Jayden Daniels number one. And then our guy brock Bauers. We'll give him a two here. We kept him with sure five. It's too bad. Could we do ties at tight end? That would be we could really be just sneaky here. And then I put Brian Thomas as my third nice.
Speaker 2: I like that one. If you were going to say, Malik Neighbors, I would have roasted you again for putting a truncated season again, even though you argue with me that I can't do it again anyway. I like your picks Greg, great picks, nice job, good thinking, nice brain.
Speaker 1: There are levels, Jordan, if you put the I know.
Speaker 2: I know you do not see the nice twisting.
Speaker 1: Like the Davis Hall of Fame case. It's like you have to be Terrell Davis to make the Hall of Fame off those five years, but you weren't to Roald Davis.
Speaker 2: It's just nice to know there are just certain things that can get under your skin.
Speaker 1: Greg.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like it's just.
Speaker 1: Nice comeback Player of the Year. Burrow's probably gonna win it, and I have to admit I wrote him down first, but I hate this award. I'm actually changing it now and I'm gonna be biased towards our guest on NFL Daily at Chargers Camp, and I'm gonna give it to JK. Dobbins and I'll go Donald second and Tomar Hamlin third. I think it's gonna be stupid when Burrow wins Offensive Player of the Year potentially and Comeback Player of the Year, and that could happen. So it's like it's kind of a weird award, but I'm gonna go Dobbin's Donald Damar Hamlin.
Speaker 2: One thing I did want to ask is how comfortable are you doing that knowing that also Dobbins did not have a complete season, and I say that very earnestly, like yeah, he then unfortunately I hated seeing it, but was hurt again. So it's almost like, okay, well, do you give him an incomplete and then you go Donald Hamlin or do you kind of right the wrong of the DeMar Hamlin situation last year? You go Hamlin first. This award is so convoluted and messed up at this point that I don't know that there's any right way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really hope the NFL. I need to. I need to find someone to talk to could make a most Improved award, because I think that's a better award. Yeah, you could. You could do come back and that's off injury, but do.
Speaker 2: Most improvement like literal death?
Speaker 1: Like the candidates which I just looked up and I didn't know we're actually the the players we all just said, Plus Christian Gonzales was in that mix, so, uh, Coach of the Year. I that this is one we did talk about on the show quite a bit. I now, considering the playoffs, I threw dan Quinn into the top three, but I still stuck with my original one two, which was Dan Campbell Andy Reid, I didn't feel like I wanted to be pushed off of that. But I now snuck Quinn in as third. And if you put John Payton in there, I wouldn't argue with you either.
Speaker 2: I had Andy Reid and then Dan Quinn and then Dan Campbell.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then there is an Assistant Coach of the Year award, and the finalists are really funny. Do you have any strong takes on this?
Speaker 2: Vic M Fink Fangio wins this award.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he might win the award, and that will be really funny to see the taped video that he sends into NFL Honors or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna be so grumpy. He's gonna be so mad.
Speaker 1: Joe Brady was nominated. By the way, Ben Johnson is a finalist if you didn't give it to Fangio and this guy is not a finalist. I always say with this award, it does not say Coordinator of the Year. It says assistant coach. So give me some Jeff Stoutland, Let's give him like a career Achievement award. You just turned Mackay Beckton and the Saquon season into absolute goal. New center Dickerson's like used to play like everything is my lot as a development case. So I'm giving my Assistant Coach of the Year to Jeff Stotlin. But I think Vic Fangio would be a great jow.
Speaker 2: Let's have him share it. I mean front side of the ball, backside of the ball, like you got it, like I love it, You've got it. And you know who would really love sharing it is Vic Fangio.
Speaker 1: So I don't think maybe I'm wrong. Actually, he probably would want the credit everyone wants.
Speaker 2: It was sarcasm, Greg, but he wants a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pat pat in the back. I was I was gonna say, I'm arguing to myself that what he doesn't care about awards. You know, he's a guy who's gonna be like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: But deep down, you know that's not true. They all care about awards.
Speaker 1: You know it cares.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to NFL Honors that is Thursday night. I'm looking forward to tonight downtown at the Belasco Theater. Again, if if you're listening to this on Monday, it's not it's not too late. If you're in the LA area and all the tickets UH will go to a great cause supporting wild fire relief efforts. Thank you, Jordan. I will see you tonight. I also see you on Tuesday because we're on the same plane, but I will see you on air on Wednesday. Hit the music, let''s get out of here. Thanks Jordan. Tuesday show and there will be a show. We'll be done at the Chris westleyan podcast studio with my friend Patrick Clabon. Might try to get another guest here before I go and get on that plane. And yeah, and we're just two days away from getting on that plane. You know, football is back.