Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Geist Minds, Think of Zeit courtesy of Big and Scary Ato two, in reference, of course, to.
Speaker 2: The phrase geist minds think all right.
Speaker 1: Geist minds thick alike?
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, yeah, it's probably.
Speaker 1: That I don't know, man, I'm I'm not paid to know these phrases idioms. You didn't even know QuickTime player, get I know, I'm I'm at a place where it took me five seconds to remember the name of quick time to open up the recording, even though we were we recording QuickTime every day. Yeah. Yeah, some do, many, many do.
Speaker 2: I don't use QuickTime. Just wll disclosure if I just want to put that out there.
Speaker 1: Think you're better than me?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: All right it is make them a lot better than October second, twenty twenty five. Yeah, those are our facts. You are a lot better than me. My name is Jack. That over there is mister Miles. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whoa, whoa, yes, let's go. What's trending?
Speaker 1: I got him? I did to a art show opening for Todd Gray by a friend who like works at a gallery. Yeah. I was like the fun.
Speaker 3: That's funny Ledge When is it. I don't even know there's an opening in the new year. Oh shit, okay, all right, I'll wake you up one September.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please do all right, it's October. Oh shit, man, wake me up when October ends. Also, just kind of can we can we click this ship? Can we just fast forward run through a couple of years here? All right? What's happening in the news. The government shutdown is happening. Donald Trump trying to be real shrewd with it, is basically like I'll starve you to death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, like it's just it's just retaliation. There's a lot happening. The insistence on this is a Democrats shutdown, Like there are mass emails going out, like you know, because the Democrats are like fucking over or like if you get a bounce back email, they're like, due to the Democrats shutdown, we will be slow and responding to da da da da da. He's really trying to just sort of like seed that idea that this is all at the responsibility of the Democrats because this is a lie. He's saying it's because they want to give illegals health care, and that's the hill they want to die on, So we're just going to have to shit they then we have no choice. And to that end, we are going to threaten thousands of federal workers with layoffs too as a way basically just blackmailing the Democrats to be like, we'll do it, Yeah, we'll do it. We're fucking wacky man read Project twenty twenty five. So he and Russell Vott are now using the shutdown to just see how much damage they can inflict first, I think, on blue states, to try and really upset the people in those states, like by pulling all kinds of green energy money that was supposed to go in there from the Green New Deal. So pretty much any state that didn't vote for him is seeing that money get pulled, along with a few other states with like other specific programs. So that's kind of they're at that place now and just trying to take it out on federal workers as a way to try and bring Democrats to the table.
Speaker 1: Just a hostage situation essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's just it's fucking crazy because you're talking about the people that do the work, that even give people the idea that things work. So then when there aren't any people to sustain those agencies. That's going to be that's going to manifest in chaos, and I'm sure that's that is part of Project twenty twenty five is to completely gut the federal government essentially.
Speaker 1: Right, And so it just gives them an excuse.
Speaker 2: But I think that's the other thing too, is like doing that really close to I mean, while if we have normal elections, you know, having like a government like that is absolutely just not fucking working isn't a great look. But for the people in power, yeah, they're really never interested in, look what a good look is. So it's just very you know, right now, it's starting with this shit about being well, we're not going to give you your windmil money, right, but I'm sure we'll. They're gonna probably crank the heat up the more they realize how much people are laying this at their feet, right.
Speaker 1: And the Democrats are just being like no, uh, it's a Trump shut down, and like it's just yeah, but they're being.
Speaker 2: Clear and being like this is this is not whatever the fuck they're talking about. It's because they're gonna take away all these healthcare subsidies and like your assurance tax credits, like people, you know, they're giving examples of like, let's say you're a sixty year old couple in Mike Johnson's like the state of Louisiana, your your fucking premiums are gonna go up like three hundred percent without some of these tax credits intact. So yeah, it's just a bunch of screaming right now. As you know, this thing just kind of grinds to a halt for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, great country, we got here, Yeah, killing it. We're doing We're doing good work. Everything's functioning great. We do. We did get a sense of like how they're talking behind the scenes a little bit with a hot mic moment from who what's this.
Speaker 2: Reverend Madaline Dean Madeline Madelin Dean as a Democrat speaking of Mike Johnson, pretty candid, the way that people might speak to one another. Yeah, just cam him in the corner, and you know, this is getting a lot of attention because a lot of you'll just see she's like, what the fuck's going on with the president? Basically yeah, and this is Mike Johnson subconsciously agreeing with her by nodding his head in agreement as she's talking, but then being like well no, no, no, no. But here's this interaction that was sort of happening off camera, but because the mic was on, we got to sort of hear it all happen.
Speaker 4: The president is unhinged, he is unwell. What are you doing on your set?
Speaker 1: Are too? I don't control?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, please that performance in front of the generals that it's so dangerous. You know, I serve on foreign affairs and appropriations. This is a collision of those two things. Our allies are looking elsewhere, our enemies are laughing. President, she's a president who is unwell.
Speaker 1: A lot of folks on your side are two? Are two? Two? As in I know you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That seems to be accepting that the president is out of his mind, and then saying, well, you guys have some like bad ones too, which seems like a real oh my god, he admitted it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what a lot of people are being like, Wait, hold on. So when she goes he's unhinged, he's unwell, and you said people on your side are too, is it? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: This is yeah. I mean I love that.
Speaker 2: Her response after the like a lot of folks on your side are too, it was like, oh my god, please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm kind of here for this.
Speaker 2: Wake the fuck up, dude, Like that's what it felt like? That did you because you know he knows it's an L because you said that performance in front of the generals when.
Speaker 1: He was just like, I didn't see it. You know, they know it's an L when they say I didn't see it. Yeah, I actually didn't watch that thing that everybody's been talking about for the past twenty four hours where the president spoke to the most powerful military figures in the country. I actually, uh, didn't you follow up? How did you think about that? Actually? So that was the thing?
Speaker 2: Sorry, follow up your third in line to be president, just so you know, and you you didn't see that? So are you bad at your job? Also? Do you want to see it now? And then you can tell.
Speaker 1: Me what the fuck is up? Sure you want to do that?
Speaker 2: You want to try that shit out?
Speaker 1: This did make me just wonder, like, why the fuck aren't the Democrats talking like this in public? Was my first thought, Like is it are they just standing on decorum at this point where, like, you know, the lives of people they represent are being violently upended, and they're like, well, we can't be rude and say officially, like the prade is.
Speaker 2: You know, e Nile, He's slipping into darkness, and.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, I mean, families and communities are being torn apart by government sanctioned kidnappings, and they're choosing to like point out that the president is unhinged behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: See well, and this is where I'm maybe this is they are keeping that same energy, because yesterday Illinois Governor JB. Pritzker, in front of microphones was like the here, I'll just this.
Speaker 1: This is JB.
Speaker 2: Pritzker at a press conference.
Speaker 5: It appears that Donald Trump not only has dementia set in, but he's copying tactics of Vladimir Putin. Sending troops into cities, thinking that that's some sort of proving ground for war or that indeed there's some sort of internal war going on in the United States. Is just frankly inane, and I'm concerned for his health.
Speaker 2: He goes on to be like, yeah, you know, maybe twenty fifth Amendment here, he might need to be removed from office, right. I mean, I honestly think like the concern trolling is probably a good tactic. Here is he okay? Is he okay? Is he okay? Are you sure what was that about? What was that about? I didn't see it. Oh you should see it and then tell me what that was about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, just keep pressing yeah, because you can only press.
Speaker 2: They can only mitigate for so long, which they have been doing. But it's also I think that I think the people who are on the opposing side of it go, oh yeah, let me ask a follow up question, because it's clear to everyone on the left or who isn't a Republican who's like a total sick event that he has fucking cooked mentally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Like, I think it's a good way forward just to like, it's just the energy of it, to just be like, this is not normal. Fuck, this guy is like the energy of it. I don't know if it's caused by senility or you know, moments of sinility, or if the I don't know, like he just he's still just barfing out the same shit. He's just worse that and seems more tired and like scattered. Right.
Speaker 2: Sure, but if you compare it to any person who we would say is healthy and in their maybe middle age, even they can say full sentences, they can connect ideas like objectively, his speech is all it's like scatterbrained. Yes, he was mistaking Albania for Armenia recently, Like he can't. He doesn't get anything straight that is objectively not good. And I think, you know, we're sort of like operating in this thing where like everyone kind of knows, like, yeah, this guy's kind of fucking something's wrong with him. But I think Republicans it's easy for them like, oh, he's he's a quirky, fun president. But if you kind of keep insisting this is so different, this is like something is wrong, like is he okay? I think it at least shift the conversation to at least yeah, because the framing is still the framing isn't that guy something's wrong with him? The framing is he's kind of a weird guy. That's kind of what we're operating in, and that needs to conversation. If this kind of tactic is effective, it would shift it to what's wrong with him? And why aren't you guys who are in his party doing something about it? Because to leave him there is putting everyone in grave danger. I mean, like already we are. But I guess in terms of like rhetorically, how Democrats or Republicans talk on the hill that would at least begin to put more pressure on them explaining like why he's posting weird shit. Caroline Levitt was asked about the medbed video guy, and the press is like, what was he trying to communicate with that video? He deleted it, but what was he trying to communicate to that with that? Yeah, and she just went on a version of like, he likes to post memes and like stuff that he sees that he likes, and isn't it refreshing? But then you can be like, he was talking about technologies that don't exist.
Speaker 1: Right, that seems weird for the president to send a video that says he's created a technology that doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: That seems does he believe in it? Or what is he implying by that that's that's aspirational for him?
Speaker 1: What is the that you know politics much better than me? What is the fourth that is stopping them from speaking the way that she just spoke to him on a hot mic that stopped them from saying they're weird? Is that the consultants being like, if we're too mean, it seems unlikable.
Speaker 2: What what's I mean there's always some version of like because like the messaging gets so vetted, like if it's coming from the party, like they're they're fucking in the lab trying to be like what what what happens with this group? BEFO, we're talking this way right? How is how does this messaging poll with this group? I think right now the reason is because I for what I mean, like what we've seen is just that Democrats they're still insistent on having this sense of like, well, we're not going to I mean they were they were casting aspersions on Joe Biden's mental acuity, right, and and that's just that's just really unbecoming.
Speaker 1: So there's so so you should have cast dispersions on Joe Biden's mental acuity?
Speaker 2: Dumb fucks. That's what I mean that I would be effective. We'll be like, hey, guys, you know we should have actually acted sooner, right, and you know what, and now we're telling you.
Speaker 1: We're coming off a massive mistake that we made and we're worried, like it's like you can't have the same exact thing happened two times in a row and not catch it, like the same shit has happened.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing too, is they don't want to start doing the like he's he's got dementia thing, because then the Republicans just cook up some fake doctor's note and be like.
Speaker 1: Right, guys are like you guys are Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm saying, like, just adjust it a little bit and go yeah, okay, a little tweak, Yeah that all right.
Speaker 1: The energy is important to me. I don't think that this is like the only way forward, being No, I don't think they'll be able to just like, you know, work around that. I do think journalists should be changing, Like you said, they should be asking follow up questions in a very reserve way that uh forces him, especially to think on his feet if they're continuing to make him a bit to the media, which I guess they don't do that often. But when you have that opportunity, go in knowing that you were this is both an attempt to like get information but also an attempt to give him a public like neurological exam, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and get them he would have them to articulate a defense of it too, because half the time it just doesn't make sense. Although you know, I think a lot of people they they do just see him as quirky or whatever. You know that are like that are his fans, because really they just like to see you know, they're like, I just want to drink liberal tears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can find little moments where he says something that seems to make sense. It's just yeah, you know, when taken in the hole. Anybody who has you know, lived with or had a loved one who suffered from dementia recognizes the energy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's more like you got to it's more about putting pressure on the sick of fans, Yeah, in the House, in the Senate and in the cabinet to be like, yo, you're good with this, yo, this you this you you know, like more more so about making a person individually account for what that what how they're seeing it. Like that's why Mike Johnson got so uncomfortable because she was She was like, what's going on with him? What do you think about this? And he's like, well, you know, you guys do it too.
Speaker 1: It's just wild that he didn't know the very basic rules of like how you respond to a playground insult. He was like, you know, uh, you seem like so stupid that like I'm I'm actually worried about you. And he's like, well, you are too. Yeah. It's like, no, you say, I know you are, but what am I You're not? You're You're not supposed to include you, dip shit. We're both really dumb. Yeah, I know, but you are too. We're both dumb as fuck.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, man, let's just get to it.
Speaker 1: Header gut. You are bad at this header gun man, Jesus Christ, fucking sucker, dick man, don't beat me up. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And there's this new order named NSPM seven. Oh yeah, did we touch on that yesterday on Monday?
Speaker 2: On Monday, just basically talking about yeah, like the new directive to make anything anti traditional, anti Christian, anti capitalism, anti America.
Speaker 1: It's pretty indicator for terrorism. Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean it's basically I don't know. So this Time Magazine article just lays it out. The Trump administration is facing mounting criticism over a sweeping directive that expands the government's definition of domestic terrorism indicators to include a wide range of political beliefs, with lawmakers and civil liberties groups warning it could be used to criminalize descent. It could be used to criminalize descent. The wording is it directs the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force to investigate networks, entities, and organizations that foment political violence, and identifies ideological markers such as anti Americanism, anti capitalism, and anti Christianity as red flags.
Speaker 2: There's another thing too, that said extreme views on gender or extreme views on immigrants. Basically, if you know, it's essentially whatever, if you guys are if you're not on board with this, then you were going to label you as some kind of terrorist to you know, bring back this new McCarthyism.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've always said Time magazine as a garbage publication. But to claim that this could be used to criminalize descent, it is the Criminalizing Descent bill. It is the explicit, Like, how could it be any more explicit? Like that's like saying a handgun that is pointed at your head could be used to shoot you. That's the whole fucking reason it's there. Yeah, like what what other things? Well, so you're saying it could be used what other things could it be used for?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is specifically a weapon to make it so they can arrest trans people or people who are critical of fucking capitalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, I mean, the order itself is just very wacky, and it's like sort of it's doing this whole thing of like there's all these foreign money coming in because a lot I was reading a lot of people who talk about like Farah enforcement, you know, the Foreign Agents Registration Act, Like they're trying to use that to try and say like if there are affinity groups or advocacy groups that are receiving money from anything that could be tied to like like a foreign country or foreign national, Yeah, that they're going to try and use that to be like, oh, we have foreign people trying to affect like, you know, the conversation in this country by backing these groups or whatever. So I was reading about like lawyers who work with certain groups that you know could be seen as quote unquote being in the part of this, like you know, a terroristic group that they should really be looking over because seems like maybe like foreign money is going to be an inroad with how they try and legally fuck people over too, like to start yeah with like these like you know, larger organizations to be like why are you getting money from this person who lives out of the country. Oh, that's strange.
Speaker 1: In this global economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's it's just really it's interesting. I mean, it's not interesting. It's just very confusing because like legally, like all the people who read it, they're like, like, legally, this documents all over the place, but they're also like, at the same time, the government is using nothing but like legally dubious arguments to fuck with people right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in that way, it's like hard to know how this actually ends up like manifesting.
Speaker 1: It seems bad, it seems no, no, it is I mean, like to articulate it already to be like, if you do not believe Jesus Christ is the Savior and money is his rest, the greenback is his father, you will go away for whatever or lose.
Speaker 2: Everything or whatever. They you know, decide to punish it.
Speaker 1: They were annoyed that they only had to take Jimmy Kimmel off the air. They were wishing they could just arrest him, you know. The update on the Gods of flotilla is that it has been intercepted by the Israeli Navy, who detained hundreds of activists and arrested them with no right to do so in any way, And I mean, that's really it's very depressing. And then like I'm also really depressed to report that I was like half relieved that they didn't murder them all. That's like where the fucking where my expectations are for the Israeli military. But I like everybody should be outraged. There are protests cropping up, but these are they're arresting and detaining people who were trying to bring fucking baby formula and like humanitarian aid, humanitarian aid, purely humanitarian aid. So that's extremely frustrating. And I think that the people who organized this were hoping that they could get aid to the starving people in Gaza. But also we're aware that this is a possibility of just like showing how nakedly fucked this enemy is and how fucking awful they are, how like they will arrest people and treat it like you're trying to smuggle heroin for trying to bring baby formula to starving infants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it just shows you. I mean, like when when the West, you know, the quote unquote the West are like the former colonial powers are on your side. It's one thing, right, That's why Ukraine is getting support, right, because all these countries are sort of like they're mostly in agreement that they're like yeah, yeah, yeah, Russia, bad fight them, Here's here's stuff to fight them with. But with this, I'm sorry, like the idea of these people like acknowledging the oppression and the apartheid state and all that, like that's just it's just like a thing they can't that's just a bridge they're not able to cross. So now we have this like weird disjointed movement where like some countries are like, yeah, fucking do something, but also fuck man, maybe turned back.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Shit, it's hard and there's only a.
Speaker 1: Few you're gonna make the mad stop. Yeah, you're gonna undermine peace talks. Jesus.
Speaker 2: Then you have the other nations who are very much staunchly opposed in our vocal about it. But again because of you know, they don't have the same standing as like an America or a France or UK. You know, it allows you know, Israel to keep doing this shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was listening to an interview with one of the people on the flotilla, who is like the Spanish and Italian support was seemed pretty lax, Like they were like just so you know, if you guys get attacked, we're like not engaging. We're just and we're probably not going to be with you much longer because this is scary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want to like get dragged into this, like as a government. But good luck, good luck to you, good luck to you.
Speaker 1: Finally, we want to say rip to Jane Goodall, legendary primatologists who passed away at the age of ninety one of Natural Causes, famous for living with chimpanzees. Her research was pivotal and proving similarities in primate and human behavior. The video that's going viral is a footage of her comparing Trump's behavior to male chimps, saying, quote, the same sort of behavior as a male chimpanzee will show when he is competing for dominance with another They're upright, they swagger, they project themselves as really more large and aggressive than they may actually be in order to intimidate their rivals. But also, like she you know, we like chimpanzees. I feel like this is a disservice to her message for this to be the thing that's going viral. Yeah. The thing that I found it interesting that I did not know. Our writer jam pointed out she was very open to the idea of bigfoot go on.
Speaker 4: Jane.
Speaker 1: Yes, she once said that during a trip to Ecuador, locals recalled seeing six foot tall monkeys with no tails, which she speculated could be the last of the Neanderthals. This is super interesting. Like this is from the interview. We'd flown for two solid hours over unbroken forest in a small plane, so just all forest to like think of the most remote place you can imagine. We visited four tiny little communities, thirty to fifty people, no roads. They communicate with each other by means of like in the old days it was a town crier. But they are hunters and carry the news from one village to another, and letters and things like that. So I had an interpreter and I said to him, when you next meet one of these hunters, could you ask if they've ever seen a monkey without a tail. Three of the hunters came back and said, oh, yes, we've seen monkeys without tails. They walk upright and they're about six feet tall. This was an interpreter from the village. He knew nothing about Bigfoot, nothing at all. Every single country has its version Yei Yawie in Australia, wild Man in China. So I don't know if it's perhaps a myth that stems from maybe the last of the Neanderthals. But then is the last of the Neanderthals still living in these remote forests? And then in another interview she said, there's something I don't know what it is. I have throughout my life been very dismissive of people who believe in Bigfoot, and this is very interesting that she's like, yeah, no, I've been out there. There could totally be a Bigfoot, right. You know, there's so much of the world, so much of the oceans we always talk about, but even a lot of like the world is pretty unexplored, you know. We we have this. The one thing that I feel like I've learned as I've gotten more, you know, read more and lived more, is we have this myth that I had, like when I first started, you know, coming out of my like public school education, was that like we have the world locked down. There's just like cameras ever we know everything, we know what's going on everywhere, and it's just not true, just not true. There's so much mystery out there.
Speaker 2: I mean this definitely, that's that's a good that's a good uh good coast sign from Jane good All.
Speaker 1: That's the best coast sign you could probably get.
Speaker 2: And then I wonder how many people.
Speaker 1: Are like fuck Jane. Yeah, I'm sure these are probably the last two things she would want people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, Like I mean, did anyone ever ask her about the one hundred men versus a gorilla?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure, And I'm sure she didn't deign to.
Speaker 2: She'd be like, oh yeah, She's like, one hundred men will get cooked. I wish they have no fucking chance. She was. Actually, what's wild is she was going to do a tree planting ceremony in Pasadena near Alta Dina as like a way to sort of commemorate like the fires. Oh wow, like this week. Yeah, and then like she just didn't passed away. It was just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well rip, what a life? Uh what a ledge true ledge. Yeah. Those are some of the things that are trending on this October second, Thursday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccines where you still can't get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. By bye.
Speaker 2: The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Katherin Law, co produced by bay Way, co produced by Victor Wright
Speaker 1: Co written by J M McNabb, and edited and engineered by Brian Jeffries