Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 3: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim.
Speaker 4: And give us time and a terminol and gay.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 1: We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 4: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Malcorn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride? Do your need you ride?
Speaker 2: Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgaroff.
Speaker 2: I am got a new record player. Did I tell you.
Speaker 1: That you didn't? And I'd love to hear about it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's uh, you know, it's a record player. It's decent, it sounds good, but it also plays cassette tapes and CDs, and so I'm listening to all my old CDs and I put in I was really excited to find this old hip hop CD Ghetto Boys, and then I it's it's edited Tipper Gore, Oh, who was solely responsible for the parental guidance thing that was like her mission, And I.
Speaker 2: Looked it up. Did you know she was like a rock drummer and a band called the wild Cats. Yes, I just was looking into it.
Speaker 3: They sounded like early Go Gos before our lips are field.
Speaker 2: She had a passion for rock music, but she hated metal.
Speaker 4: You know what, that makes perfect sense. She like Hitler being the heartbroken painter that he was. Tipper Gore was a frustrated drummer artist, a drummer.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, continue to be. She played with Willie Nelson. She played on a tour with Grateful Dead.
Speaker 1: Well no no, no.
Speaker 4: No, someone made up a fake Wikipedia page. You know she's away. There's photos, she's got a headset.
Speaker 3: She started drumming more when her and what's his global warming guy split up in otell Al.
Speaker 2: I remember him, of course. I think he's I.
Speaker 4: Think we'll never forget al Gore, one of the more boring politicians of our time.
Speaker 3: If he just started talking about the weather when he's running against Bush, that it's like, maybe he is interesting anyway. Maybe now the Wildcats, there's no way that they were in a controversial high school rock band.
Speaker 2: She at least spun the sticks.
Speaker 4: And I bet you know what it's just like when like girls that were like true gutter punk's slash drug addicts. And when I went to high school in the eighties, those girls always ended up born again Christian always, but it took like it took like four to seven years after high school.
Speaker 1: But they always.
Speaker 4: Found the Lord and wore like, you know, yeah, those dresses that were kinda like jeans but a dress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a long denim waterproof skirt first snow skiing in Sometimes there's a girl I went to college with that big, long, perfectly cylindrical, clean looking white dreadlocks.
Speaker 2: And then the next time I.
Speaker 3: Saw pink, pink, you know, polo dress, like a tennis dress. Yeah, and said, good golly and things like that. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: She was no longer irie. Is that what you're telling?
Speaker 3: She used to be so rary, she had no island vibes.
Speaker 4: And then you know, she said, I feel like I'm okay with people going ahead and shaving off blonde dreadlocks.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 2: You know what. I wasn't sad to see them go. It was her island lifestyle that I missed.
Speaker 4: It was those island vibes that you wanted back so badly.
Speaker 3: What if Tipper Gore is like getting older, and she kind of tourett'singly blurts out hardcore rap lyrics. She's in a rocking chair and she has a facial tick and she's like a murder contest. You know, I'll win it every male boxer. I'll be ahead with a knife in it. It's a ghetto boy. That's an actual lyric I used to rap about murder. I bet she secretly likes it.
Speaker 5: Is my point.
Speaker 4: She must because she had to review all those lyrics. That was her job before she put that sticker on that CD.
Speaker 3: You know, she was like, well this is catchy as hell, what a hook. But I got to put my stamp of disapproval.
Speaker 1: But something in.
Speaker 2: Me only to be combatd by.
Speaker 3: I also found Tom Morello's grandma is a ninety seven year old advocate for not censoring music.
Speaker 2: Really or as of the writing of an article, she might no longer be with us.
Speaker 4: Well, but in her final days she will fight yes for freedom.
Speaker 2: For her life. I mean, we all do. No one wants to die.
Speaker 1: We're all doing it right now, we are are we?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Anyway? Time it is time. I just had to share that Tipper Gore was a rock star.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it, and I think you've been scammed. You know, the internet is a dangerous place.
Speaker 3: This is the skunk butts on the wall in a bar of music, and I'm not making it up.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see, fine.
Speaker 2: We'll see. Very excited for our guest today, me.
Speaker 4: Too easy, a classic, one of the greats doing it on the daily.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Oh, he plays clubs and colleges all over this whole.
Speaker 1: Country of ours.
Speaker 5: Never played a college, mostly college.
Speaker 1: Steve not yet, never played to college.
Speaker 4: You might know him from the Chatterbox comedy show down there.
Speaker 2: In what a show with possibly.
Speaker 1: Coda in playing Covina, just.
Speaker 5: East of West Covina.
Speaker 1: Please welcome, ladies and gentlemen, Steve Hernandez.
Speaker 5: Still great to be here. How are you too?
Speaker 2: Terrific?
Speaker 1: Real good? Yeah, man, Steve.
Speaker 4: Let me just kick this off by saying, you're truly one of my favorite voices on Twitter. You're one of the only reasons I still read Twitter. I'm not really on it that much anymore, but just your pithy little statements all day long are just I really enjoy it because it's very it's sardonic, but then sometimes you're being very sincere but you're very funny.
Speaker 5: That's very from coming from the king. That's a high praise. So thank you so much. Yes, yeah, I did notice. I was thinking about you the other day. I was like, Oh, they're not tweeting as much as they used to. So no, you probably made a choice for your mental health, right.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean that's what we have to do sometimes it's not the safest place in the world to be. And also I think I've been doing it for so long that I've especially in quarantine, it started feeling like I was just tweeting one of the fifteen tweets that I tweet. So it's literally like, you know, it's just not that fun or interesting. I don't feel like I'm discovering new ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm not.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have some like that that I tweet once a year. There's a couple that I and then some people catch me. Sometimes I do it on purpose to make myself laugh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you ever actually search for your first tweets in like twenty twelve and it's like, that was great, I got four likes because four people fall I'm really I'm reading launching this one.
Speaker 2: I do it all the time.
Speaker 5: I've done that exactly. But I do know sometimes, like I'm sure I've said this before, but my numbers keep growing. Man, I am like I'm you know, with Twitter, I'm like scraping guys. I'm like getting like a little I just passed ten k, and I'm telling you I fought hard for that ten k, like that in the time, grinding, Yeah, like grinding to get that ten k. And now that I've got ten k, I feel good. I don't need any more than that.
Speaker 4: But well, now the momentum will build and then suddenly you're gonna be like fifteen twenty five.
Speaker 1: It'll just it's you're rolling downhill at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like turn in forty. It's once you get that actual k there. Yeah, it's visually so it's just it's beautiful to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I'm I'm acceptable to people now, you know. I I started stand up here in LA and I was very bad at first, but I'm better now. And in the alternative space, the new the second round of alternative comedy. Karen, you're part of the first one, but I'm part of the Dave the children of Dave Ross and holy fuck. But yeah, I've been around long enough, and sometimes people won't follow me back on things, and I'm just like, well, I'm not going anywhere. I'm gonna keep getting like rising. My phoenix will continue to rise. And then at one point, sir, you will be forced to follow me back professionally or face dire consequences.
Speaker 1: It would be in your best inter Yeah him back.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, because people sometimes, don't you know, I've I've upset a few people. I'm telling you, running one of the hottest shows in Los Angeles. That's not that's not in Los Angeles, is uh? And I have a very strong he. I mean, I have other producers Lisa Shanu, my wife, Julie Lokan, and Scott Leres. But I have been booking that thing and there's just some people I won't book. I bartend there. I've bartended there for fourteen years. I've got to look these people in the face. I don't care what kind of heat you got out here in LA. If you're not talking, if you're not talking to working class Mexican and white people, I don't know what the fuck to tell you. Okay, yeah, get out.
Speaker 4: You might as well get out now if you can't. If you can't lessen yourself quote unquote wait, speaking of being bad when you first started stand up, which we all were, by the bye, can we hear some of the early Steve Hernandez material that we would have been able to hear.
Speaker 2: It's not just premises, no full joke fu.
Speaker 5: All I can remember kind of uh is I think the first time I kind of cracked the alt scene because I was, you know, you start off and you're saying things that are like you don't realize that are shitty towards women and stuff like that. Because I'm from West Covina. The first thing, the first open like I did, was that Casey's downtown and I remember Dave was there, Jeff Watt and Iver, Alan Strick and Williams, and I remember I got up. I did the like rookie mistake of getting up and like talking shit about someone that's beloved to the community and they're like, who the fuck is this fat Mexican guy. But I remember Alan Strickle, Williams. Alan was there and I didn't know anybody, and I said, hey, come, nobody told me Vampire Weekend was going to be here, Yeah, yeah, yeah, and nobody laughed, you know, and I just felt like a moron. I don't, Yeah, I don't. I can't remember. I will tell you that I did try to do. I am queer and I have some pretty killer queer material now, but I tried to do that stuff from the top, and it took a long time to make that stuff fly, and so I was just saying like crazy shit up to I was like people were avoiding me. Like that kind of opened my comedian where you're like, you know, I was talking about polyamory and group sex and sucking dick like just like in not the right way for these people, and so they're just like, God, damn, keep that guy away.
Speaker 2: Then you were doing that In Covina, Central Covena.
Speaker 5: I started the Chatterbox. It was a monthly the first year it's been going on to twenty ten. That's when I started and monthly. Yeah, right away I started to do that stuff. And I'm very grateful towards the chatter Rocks, because, like I said, I was doing these jokes for like regular like Mexican and Filipino and white people, and so they were not having it, and so I had to figure out how to do it to them. And so I'm basically able to come to LA and like kind of work this stuff out to take it back to Covina, which is basically Middle America, and get away with doing gay shit for people that hate gay people.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was there one night when Michelle Bullin was in town and she was doing set and I was watching that and it that club or the bar reminds me because there are people in that audience that are like, it's like they decided to stay, but they did not come for comedy.
Speaker 1: Is the vibe? It might be not true. So there was like there was a there was a real, uh host minorly hostile vibe.
Speaker 4: There were some people like kind of talking full voice, but they were sitting close to the stage. There was like a lot of that kind of stuff that I think, yeah, in in like your classic LA Place's meltdown or wherever where people are like we're super fans and the comedy nerds as they'd call themselves, you really it was much more of a challenge. Like I was in the back kind of nervous, Like this reminds me of hideous clubs in the nineties that I'd have to play where you basically had to fight for your life while trying to seem cash like the worst, the worst feeling, and everybody was powering through.
Speaker 1: But they were like, I think someone got kicked out.
Speaker 5: I have I'm going to die kicking someone out of that place. I swear to you. I've gotten in almost like multiple fights. I've got many threats of guns being pulled on me. I've never seen. It's Covina. It's very dangerous though, on Covina. To be a Mexican. I'm third general, and so we get a lot of like our parents who grew up in La Proper moved their kids out of bad neighborhoods to West Covina, Covena, and so you get like a second and third generation which they don't feel like they're as manly as their dad, so they almost pop off even more. Like I mean, there's been a couple of shootings there in the in the thirteen or fourteen years i've been there.
Speaker 3: And then in the venue outside sure, sure, in the parking lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, but I mean, you know people bullets go through walls, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do famously.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, So there's it's you've got this kind of mentality like that, and yeah, it's really not like that anymore. But it is. But it is sometimes though too, and it is definitely they're not gonna it's with that kind of energy. Also, you can get like nothing like in Los Angeles. You can get the room rolling in a way with the energy because these are just regular people and they don't give a fuck in their drunk. You could get that room rolling in a way that you cannot get anywhere in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: And it's it's important.
Speaker 3: I felt like when I was getting ready to do Conan or some set where you know, normal folks are going to watch it.
Speaker 2: Middle America is going to watch it.
Speaker 3: You have to test out those sets in the closest you can find to a regular audience, non La audience. All I hear is great things about Chatterbox.
Speaker 5: I've never done it.
Speaker 3: I think I've been booked a couple of times since for some reason I couldn't go or I messed up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you always have these young girlfriends and they like spin you out.
Speaker 2: And that's another thing I mention, not anymore.
Speaker 3: That's maybe seven years ago, but around that time I had a girlfriend that we were at a car dealership.
Speaker 2: I may have told you this.
Speaker 3: We went all the way to West Covina like Subaru, and.
Speaker 2: She was on the phone with her dad who used to sell Subaru's.
Speaker 3: So they were getting all these options, and then comedy came up just conversationally, and the guy was like, Oh, do you ever go to Chatterbox? He said he was there every week, so there's no way you wouldn't see this guy and know him. And I think she got free tinted windows after.
Speaker 2: That, all these options.
Speaker 3: He loved comedy and he said he looked forward to it every week. So I should have got the guy's name or his card, because I wanted to tell you for years.
Speaker 5: But you know, we have a few pretty big car dealership guys that are big fans. It could be a Hondai, it could be a Subaru. I've got a Toyota guy that absolutely loves the chatterbox. But yeah, that's the other thing I think that people forget. I think there's like chatterboxes all over the country now. But the Internet has absolutely changed everything. And so I worked there. I bartend in Covina three nights a week, two nights a week for thirteen years, but I picked up a third night in my fourteenth year. Absolutely absolutely just changed my life. So because I've make I make fifty percent more money than I've made for the thirteen years now, and so I'm rich. And if I were to tell you what I think, it's rich, it's just straight up embarrasscene. But but I don't have any kids. I'm doing great, man, I got a beautiful white wife. Everything's going good for me. But there are these you know, I talked to working class people, tattoo artists, guys that work at Costco and stuff all the time. But because of Netflix and the Internet and everything, you've got people that you would not like think watching like the craziest shit, watching Tim Robinson and watching all this stuff, and they just cholos and they just know about this stuff. And so yeah, I think that, yeah, that brings just a wildness to the whole thing too. But yeah, I'm very proud of what we've built out there. And now I'm raising up a young Latino army too to come and take Hollywood down. So that's why. Yeah, these motherfuckers aren't giving us anything, so we're gonna have to fight for it. Tang style.
Speaker 3: I'd love to make it back to their show at the peak of that transition.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Well, again. Bring you, Chris. You have that vibe to you know, there's a certain kind of white guy that Mexicans love, and you have that vibe. We felt that way about Paul Walker as well. Big hit, big hit to the community, big hit to the community when he passed.
Speaker 3: Yeah you, because I always describe myself, you know, in bios as every as a fast and furious type. So it's good to finally hear it from one other person. Thank you, thank you, thank you very much. I got I love the I love that the idea of a bunch of well known local car dealers at your shows, because I did the same mistake you said with Alan Strickland Williams where I was in uh, North Carolina and there was a guy with long, illustrious white hair, like the same hair. Oh, it just looked like he was an ex rock star, and I made some comment I don't even remember what it was, but the whole crowd turned on me because he's on commercials every day, the Toyota guy, and they love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: He gave everyone a heal on a Sienna and yeah, I yeah, don't.
Speaker 2: I can't. You can't ever riff in a room of strangers.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm so happy to be here with people my own age. It's grateful. You you mentioned I am a foot soldier. I'm out at the MIC's. I'm rocking these shows every day, and it gets very sad, and especially you know, I've been bartending this long, and so there's twenty two year olds that come in. I'm forty three years old. There's twenty two year olds that come in, and I'm older than their parents. Oh wow, I met I met a Trinity the other day and I'm like, it's after the Matrix, isn't it. And She's like, yes, oh wow, absolutely after the matrixcept that's amazing.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny.
Speaker 4: I tried to go back, and Chris and I've talked about this a bunch of times. I tried to go back and start doing stand up again, like I think it was you will obviously pre COVID, but just before, like a year before, and that was the main thing.
Speaker 1: I just I love the people.
Speaker 4: You know, there's so many great human beings that are that are the younger generation your you know, your group that I adore. But I just truly stand up there and go I don't I don't relate to you. I don't play your video games. I don't give a fuck about the things that I know really matter to you, like in this kind of cultural cultural age way. And then I was just like, and stand up comedy is a young person's game. It's just like you do have to be there, kind of putting in night after night. And it's just like, and I'm a lazy older person that, like, you know, I love it. I love it in a way, but then I don't think I love it enough to be the oldest person in the building.
Speaker 5: Uh, Chris, what do you have to say about that?
Speaker 2: It's so well, I'm just thinking about being on the road.
Speaker 3: It's uh, I'm fine that stand up has been easier for me now than I'm not the young guy that was always in here.
Speaker 2: I was always nervous. It's part of my nature.
Speaker 3: I'm still a nervous, stammering weirdo, but I'm more confident now. And I am the age of if you go to some random city and work a comedy club, they're all most audiences aren't really that as young as audiences here there They're going to be couples in their forties and up and I find that.
Speaker 2: I relate to them now or they like me more now that i'm their age.
Speaker 3: And that's just something that I had no control over, you know, the earth spinning and time being a concept.
Speaker 2: Calendars can't control it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, in in Los Angeles when I do these shows, the one down my Street, I just did the you know, the good Heroin show. Everyone was young. The audience was so young. So young they're able to like sit cross legged on the cement. That was the like you don't even need a chair, No, my bones still bend. There was I mean, I've never been able to it on the ground. That's just a side note. But yeah, everyone was so young that I did feel a little weird, like I'm like, well, Dave Ross is here. No, I'm more than ten years older than Dave. Like it never used to bother me, and now it's starting. It's just a voice in my head. But I'm trying to let it mean nothing because there's still you know Eddie Pepatone.
Speaker 5: Yeah and yeah, so it's still it's the voice your heads that you're like fighting against the industry to like whatever the industry, because you know, that's not why you started doing this. Anyways. No, it's the same voice that's talking about your age and that way to compare yourself to Yeah, people, that is it's all disgusting. It's very gross.
Speaker 3: It is disgusting, and it's something I never even thought of for a second before I moved here.
Speaker 2: I was also a young person.
Speaker 5: I had neither until the pandemic. I think the pandemic really freaked me out me two way where yeah, where I just never compare myself. I was always saying, I'm happy I have what I need today. I'm becoming a better man, a better person all the time. That's very important to me as well. And that pandemic really just fucking threw me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all hovered above our bodies and looked at ourselves sleeping.
Speaker 4: And judged sleeping in the afternoon. Yeah, there's nothing else to do.
Speaker 3: Oh man, and I got did you go? I keep getting blinder and blinder. There's just a lot of stuff that hit.
Speaker 5: I did have to get my first pair of readers in the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean these things?
Speaker 5: Yeah, these are too.
Speaker 3: These are in case I need to read something further than arm's length.
Speaker 2: And these are up close phone glasses.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Karen you don't need to do it. It's just for losers. And I mean, I really do believe. I was like, this is the stupidest, dumbest thing in the world. It's so dumb you're successful. As soon as I get any kind of success, I'm off the internet. I'm gonna I'm gonna stop doing all the my so I can't wait.
Speaker 4: You will get there. You will get there. You know what it is, You're right there. I feel like the drive to come up, Like I really always loved being an underdog and was for you know, thirty years or whatever. So that kind of thing of like fuck you, I'll show you, or I'll be in this room and then you won't expect I'll be the comic that whatever.
Speaker 1: Like all of that.
Speaker 4: It's like if you don't have enough of that, you know, for me, it was always bitterness or it was always like kind of I hadn't gotten I hadn't convinced enough people yet or something. And once that is gone, then then I am left. That took up so much of my brain. If that's gone there, then it's just weird. Insecurity, where you can it's that thing if you catch eyes with one person in the audience and then you'd start projecting all your weird psychosis on them or something, or like, you know, god forbid you see like a blonde man not smiling. That's my keast favorite thing, yea doing stand up comedies like oh I fucking hate.
Speaker 1: You and your everything. I stand up.
Speaker 2: I saw that toyotas fuck you dude.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think as much as I love the fact that I have done it and maybe could do it, it just does feel like it's like, let the other ones who really are putting their heart and soulo out there do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the only way I'm like still going, even though, like I said, I have a very good time doing it, but I am branching out and doing a bunch of other things too. But is I swear? I was like, I've got like ten twelve Latino comics out of the Chatterbox where I started a monthly out here, just to start a pipeline from the Chatterbox out to la I've got a bigger idea for that in the fall. But to me, I'm just like, well, even if it doesn't happen for me, these guys are hungry and smart enough. And I mean when I first started doing comedy here in La There was only one other Latina, know, alternative comic, John Vargas, who lived with Canaan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's John? I love love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he just stopped doing it, you know he did. There was right decision and.
Speaker 4: He quit because I think he got a job as a sound guy somewhere and he was doing a lot of sound stuff for a while.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean how long can you be poor for? Like how long can you just grind it out and be poor for?
Speaker 3: This podcast was started on a Zoom six that I purchased from Sammy's cameras from Argus's. Yeah, he told me what I needed to get and everything. He is a sound savvy son of a gun.
Speaker 1: And he also.
Speaker 4: Not in a style like not in a phony La style way dressed super Yeah, he's straight up but like yeah, like like alo but not a yeah yeah yeah button to the top. That's that was always my favorite. I was like, oh, it's like he's the real deal, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he was not refried comedy. That's what we're always battling against. His Latinos with this like a George Lopez kind of like you know how we are like that kind of a thing. So I've got ten or twelve young younger comics that I think have what it takes to be mainstream. And then you have Chris Astrata, you have Chris Garcia, you have Marcella. You got a bunch of people that in the next five years we're going to crack. We've never been in the conversation before, but it's like, well, I've got to do my best to help these young guys crack into it.
Speaker 1: Then that's brilliant.
Speaker 4: Well also because that's it's like you just need to see one person that you think you relate to or that can somehow that makes you believe you should be doing it, like some reflection on stage that you go, this is secretly what I've always wanted to do. Now I see this person doing it. If they can do it, maybe I can do it. Like that is super important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so cool that you've kind of decided to take that on and feel responsible that way.
Speaker 5: That's former youth pastor you guys can't shake.
Speaker 2: You know, I want, you know, I want to talk about that. Yeah, yeah, very much.
Speaker 4: But it is ridiculous that we live in Los Angeles where the population is like the percentage of Mexican Americans is like and Hispanic people is huge, and yet the numbers of stand up comics in alternative comedies are small.
Speaker 1: That surprises me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just I think just this country, the country is always uh, it's a story of black versus white. And when you think of Mexicans, I think people have always and other Latinos people have always just thought of us as kind of like the help. And so whether or not, like they choose to admit it or anything, we've got to crack that idea and and and we're well on our way.
Speaker 3: So even in like where I started in Austin, it was a huge scene, but it was separate, like that whole scene. And when Gabriela Glacias had come to town, I couldn't believe the audience around the block.
Speaker 2: It was like, wow, how is that? It was totally separate.
Speaker 3: And like you said, the improv isn't still calling it Reeve Fried Fridays, right.
Speaker 5: They don't. We would take it, Yeah, we'll take it. They don't even have that.
Speaker 2: They did for a while well then yeah, yeah sucks, but it needed a better name. Is all the same like that is that is like oh god.
Speaker 5: Well we'll see. We're I'm excited. You know, Chris Astrada has a show coming out, And Chris Astrada is the great Brown Hope. He's the perfect bridge between like all kinds of Reek fried comedy and mainstream stuff. He's brilliant and yeah, right when he started, I think he's like three or four years behind me. Everybody knew he was just so smart and so funny. So his show's going to drop on Hulu this year. That's going to be a big step forward. We've got Frankie Cononez and yeah.
Speaker 2: Frankie man.
Speaker 6: Yeah he I just watched his video where he's like where he's like, I'm the I'm the dad for you today, Like he's starts he asked this guy of me as a dad, and then he's like, I'll be your dad today. But he would just look it up if you I'm the dad for you today.
Speaker 2: It is the best thing.
Speaker 3: It's so specific and random and it he's singing it. That's why I won't fully commit. And you know I don't commit to other people's jokes. You should good, Oh not this one. It is so Yeah, he's the best man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some good people coming up. That's true.
Speaker 4: Chris Ostrada had a tweet that was so amazing and it's it was the first time I knew who he was because someone retweeted it was the one. I'm going to completely ruin this, but it was basically like, I didn't smoke crack in a motel room in a West Covine or wherever it was so that I could have somebody criticize, some youngster criticize my jokes.
Speaker 2: In the back of the room.
Speaker 1: So good. Should we talk about the Bible podcast?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you want. You know, I have a Bible podcast. It's called Read the Bible with Me with Steve nanez Uh. I think I was at such a different place. I was very like pumped up after Black Lives Matter because I had gone to so many like rallies and heard all these like strong black women preachers, and it reminded me of of the God that I used to believe in and stuff. So I had the idea to, oh, you know what, let me go back into this thing because I did used to be a youth minister at a megachurch in West Covina to I was like twenty two, and I was like let me, uh, let me go back and read this thing and you know, try to see what it's like. Still, but you know, about three and I still do it. I still open up. I still read the Bible every episode. But this thing is so fucking stupid. I can't believe I got conned. I can't believe so many people get conned by this fucking thing. And this is something I know, like, I know the Bible in my heart. I love it like an old uncle. Uh. And it's just crazy to go back and to understand what each of these different authors was trying to accomplish. The Book of John, out of the four Gospels, Matthew, Luke, Mark, and John, the Book of John, Jesus is just straight up a superhero. He straight up. He's straight up like Zeus, you know, Like it's so it's all Greek mythology where God comes down and have sex with the mortal woman and then you create a half God. It's just such Greek mythology, which they fucking ate up two thousand years ago. I'm not an atheist person. I don't try to do that, and I really like do feel the thing. I try to live my life by my conscience. But I used to call my conscience the Holy Spirit. I have no problem calling the thing like the right thing to do in life God saying God told me to do this, even though I don't believe in any kind of being or anything, but I do believe in the divine. I do believe there is a truly right, loving way to do things, and I try to live my life by that. But that Bible, this Bible A got shit to do with any of that.
Speaker 3: And to have a shorter conversation with people are religious, do you ever say you have faith?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not, No, I will.
Speaker 3: I you know, I believe I am a person of faith, but then I can't get any more specific than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I don't have faith in it, and I do wonder. I am at the place in the podcast now where I and I, you know, I talk about all this stuff in the podcast, and then I interview a lot of either former believers or kind of renegade believers now, people who have left the church and are still trying to like have a relationship with God on their own terms in like renegade ways. But yeah, no, I absolutely don't believe in any of that, and I do. I'm at that place right now when we're wondering how much this has fucked me up. I'm not in guilt. I don't really. I've never been a very fortunate I've never been like a guilty person about my seeing or anything like that. But that I'm always trying to, like, I don't know, do things in an ethical way. I know it sounds like I'm saying I'm trying to be a good person, but I wonder if the Bible has warped what being a good person is to me.
Speaker 4: Well, there's such I found because I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school, so there was a lot of Bible reading. There was a lot of writing out of things we were reading and really studying, like word for word, and I found that there was an intense contradiction from chapter to chapter and book to books. So it was just like, sorry, didn't we just read that you're not supposed to do this or that this isn't okay? And then it's like then there would be the ones. There was like some you know, some stuff that was real hardcore and real like real old, and then there was some stuff that was real like hippy ish that was like very seventies kind of like everything's cool and just be cool to people. I mean, maybe that's a testament.
Speaker 2: So it's a handful of different dudes writing the stuff with.
Speaker 5: Different audiences in mind. And so you're just like us as stand up comics. I have my you know, I have an hour and fifteen worth of jokes. There's ones I'm not going to pull up in certain rooms. Yeah, there's ones I'm not going to do because it would not work.
Speaker 3: So some of the guys that wrote the Bible were alt guys. The other guys were more mainstream.
Speaker 4: Well, and what about all the different versions of the panels of people hundreds of years later editing it? So like I remember learning about that part where it's like, I'm sorry, why are we going so deep on this when why aren't we talking about that bigger picture of who has influenced what these essential ideas used to be versus what? You know?
Speaker 1: Was it like this the King James Bible or the whatever.
Speaker 3: There's the ones videans leave in your in your what's the only one I do through?
Speaker 4: But it's like everybody has an agenda. Everybody that got their hands on that thing had an agenda. And then there's now people in twenty twenty two who are like fundamentalists, who are like, word for word, this is the.
Speaker 5: Truth, and it's like and they're the reason why our country is like falling apart. I do believe, like my much of this stuff with Trump and everything, that those are very there's fundamental Christians and they've been allowed or if you want to believe that the bible's the errant of God, word of God, then you have to like stop using your brain. And so these people have stopped using their brain. You know, my mom voted for Trump, and I love my mom, and you know, we continue to get along, but it's it hasn't been easy and all of this stuff. My mom's still she's a very uh she's evangelical Christian, but she's always very She's also very mystical.
Speaker 3: She thinks she's evangelical means were you take the Bible word for word like a literal in a literal way.
Speaker 5: Yes, she's very mystical too, so she thinks she can heal. I have seen her kind of like know things about people after she just met. I don't think that can be a true You could attribute that to God if you want. I don't, but she's not completely crazy, but she does believe a lot of this crazy shit and she's listen to this podcast and it causes strife in our relationship for a few months.
Speaker 1: Oh man, then what happened? You guys just put it aside?
Speaker 5: My mom. I'm very fortunate. As much as crazy as my mom is and stuff too is she really is like always striving to stay connected with us. But she still like thinks gay people are going to hell, but she's like does it. She's always trying to not be that way, and she's trying to make it make sense to connect with us. So I know a lot of people aren't as fortunate to me as me to have parents like that that are believers. But yeah, she just said, hey, you know, however you want to have a relationship with God is up to you. I can't judge that. So I'm like I said, I'm very fortunate about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank god, thank God. There's a lot of other stuff to talk about with your mom.
Speaker 5: Not much, not much when we have talks. When we get together, we'll have talk for like four hours. And I just kind of have to code switch for her because I do know the Bible and I am trying to live my life in a way that kind of lines up with a lot of things. So I just like I told you, like I said earlier, I'll say God told me to do this and that kind of thing. Yeah, and she's it is so funny though. She just saw me do stand up for the first time last Saturday. Saturday. Yeah yeah. I mean I didn't want her if I accidentally say a curse word, it like really bothers her. So if she were to see my stand up, I'm like, there's no reason to put you through this. But Joel and Mandy, the people who were on Hot Tub, did a show at Union Station and we got paid like a lot of money to be very clean, and so I was I was like, just mom, this is the one for you, Like, get out to this one. And it was a great show. It was beautiful. It was jam packed out in the courtyard. And Julia, my wife, was like walking my mom to the bathroom or something and she's like, are you having fun? And my mom said the thing I liked most so few curse words, and I was, yeah, this is what my Mexican mom loves about the whole thing. But she had a great time. I took a picture with her with all.
Speaker 3: She wanted she had. She been asking if she could come watch you the past few years.
Speaker 5: She'd asked like once before. But I think she'd got found some of my stuff on the internet too. And you know I talk about sucking dick and getting fucked and stuff, so I don't I mean, I think that stuff has It's not.
Speaker 2: That that bothered her.
Speaker 1: Beforehand.
Speaker 5: Some guy was committing whoopee in my butN.
Speaker 2: Why did you have to say sucking?
Speaker 5: It's the alliteration, Mom, You don't get it. I made love with that guy's penis in my mouth much better.
Speaker 2: Thank you for saying. Grace.
Speaker 1: There's there are a lot of those.
Speaker 4: It makes me think of when I was young and we drive to church on Sunday morning, and if I saw like a kid playing in a yard in the yard, I would get really bummed for that kid because I knew that if they weren't going to church, then that meant that they were probably going to go to Hell. And that was just kind of this ingrained, preset thing. It was just the way we were raised until in no joke, this is gonna sound very uh like phony, but I swear to God Andy Kandler was the first stand up comic I ever met, and it was I was like twenty.
Speaker 1: This is when I was in college.
Speaker 4: It was when I lived in Sacramento and my friend was dating him and she was a waitress at the laugh what's the club up there?
Speaker 1: The laugh?
Speaker 4: Anyway, she was a waitress at the comedy clubs. So I meet Andy Killer and I had just started staying. I think I did like my first set two weeks before or something like that. And so then later on I had dated a guy who was evangelical Christian, but he didn't he kept it a secret until like until like week three, and then he was like, I need you to say these seven words.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, sometimes you got to save it for the bedroom. Yeah, exact.
Speaker 4: And it all came together and I thought to myself, if this is if he's right, that means automatically and without any interaction, it is laughs, unlimited, Thank you, Casey, it is laughs. So that by this guy's definition, that means Andy Kndler is going to burn in hell no matter what.
Speaker 1: I'm like, there's just no way that's the truth.
Speaker 4: And so then suddenly it all just kind of evaporated in that way where it's just like, oh yeah, these there's ingrained things that I didn't think to question because I'm just you know, that's like being Catholic, and it was just kind of how the how it was of it. And then it was just like, oh, yeah, that's all of that is just these weird scare tactics to keep you in line and keep you going to work and coming home and not fucking around and and not doing whatever you want, like taking away your agency.
Speaker 5: So I had no problem with people going to hell that that seemed right to me. I was like, yeah, well, I'm timing.
Speaker 3: That's great that you were super young and you were full on like head past or.
Speaker 5: Like did they have of the youth minister. Well, it's called Faith Community Church. It's still I don't know what's gonna happen with it. They recently This is kind of part of the reason why I started the podcast too, is they just sold their property to Amazon for thirty million dollars. Yeah, when I was fifteen. This is all in West Covino. When I was fifteen, we bought that property for three million. So I'm just I was trying to figure out, like, what the fuck happened? Is gonna happen with that money. Also, the senior pastor's son, he's taken over the preaching. This guy was my friend one year older. The daughter the senior pastor daughter, my first loved, my first girlfriend. So I know this family and he's one of the worst preachers I've ever seen in my life. And so I just started posting clips and I just don't Yeah, I'm just going after him because I'm like, Dan, you fucking suck. You're a bad preacher. I don't even have to say anything else. I just know preaching, and I'm like, this is terrible, this is so I'm so mad that you guys are putting him right here. So oh yeah, but yeah, yeah, I grew up in that church. It was about five hundred when I was little. I started going there when I was seven, and by the time I left, they were at about fourteen thousand. I think it's I think it's shrunk dramatically because that guy Dan is such a bad preacher. But and mega churches are kind of going down too. But yeah, fuck, I bought into this hook line and sinker, and I do think a big attraction for me is this idea of justice and right and wrong. But you know, for gay people, I always felt I always felt bad that they were going to go to hell because even when you're little, you know gay people when you're little, when you're in first grade, there's a gay kid in your class. You don't know the words for it anything, but you know, oh yeah, Conrad's different. There's something different about him. But I was just like, well, that's kind of just you know, it's so funny. I'll never forget. When I was nineteen years old, I went to visit my friend Brian liinback in England. He was staying like as a like a class exchange thing in college, and we went to see Rent and I saw Rent and we walked out. He's like, you know, somebody dies in Rent from AIDS and we walked out of the thing. He's like, what'd you think. I was like, it was, it's pretty sad, but I gotta say, the wages of sin or is death. You know, the wages of city is dead. So I just always was like, that's just how it is.
Speaker 1: You weren't being sarcastic, Oh no, I was serious reactions.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I was just like, that's what's gonna happen if you sin is you're gonna die of AIDS. So I mean, if you're a gay person, that's gonna do. I always felt bad for gay people because I didn't seem like they had a choice to me. But also that's just what the Bible said. It wasn't until like, you know what, six feet under you guys have seen six Feet Under Sure that first season with David and like loving God and like fighting through his faith and being so ashamed that he was gay. That was the first time where I was like, oh, this is stupid, Like that's dumb, Like God, I loving God would not do this to a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's interesting because all God aside that that. I remember that being the show I watched my dad. He loved it and he like was rooting for that couple, and I think all dads before that were.
Speaker 2: A little homophobic.
Speaker 3: And I remember him loving that show, and I thought that was kind of important that that show was that for him, because they were not My parents were not religious. I started going in high school to church without ever having looked at a Bible, you know.
Speaker 2: Until college. I had a.
Speaker 3: Literary criticism class where we had to decipher half of the Old Testament and it was a very hard class and I got a very low grade and I was really trying.
Speaker 2: I just was dumb.
Speaker 3: But I started going to this after school program because the girls I liked. I've talked about this before, but the pastor was the coolest guy ever, and he was I was like, I don't know how into this Bible thing, you know, I'm really into it that much. And he didn't care. He's like, no, you're a good person to have around. He wasn't trying to convert me. He was just a good person, like an early other adult that I looked up to.
Speaker 2: You know, it's rare that you have those that aren't your parents. And he was.
Speaker 3: I still to this day, it's like a great guy. But I yeah, So I had like such a different experience. I think my dad was like, well, what are you doing going to church. I'm like, it's an after it's free dinner on Wednesdays. One then we got to go on these work camps. It was really fun.
Speaker 5: So I was not I was not that kind of a pastor. I had. I had intentions and I had I wanted to like reach goals and stuff.
Speaker 3: And did you did you use fear like try and scare people into with the hell thing, because.
Speaker 5: Yes, but not really that was not the way that I wanted to do it. But I did run a Christian hunted house called Inferno. I have to know about that. Oh yeah, it cost seventy five thousand dollars and we made it.
Speaker 4: In this life you have like an abortion room at the primary sex room all this stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we and yeah it was called Inferno and the headline was It'll scare the hell out of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's good, though.
Speaker 5: I know we had to fight for that too. I had to fight for that, and I was like put the Christ in them, and they're like all right, all right. But I mean all of like the marketing, all that kind of stuff, the stuff that you know, I basically do now as a stand up was stuff that I like really loved to do. But even me then I kind of remember thinking this is kind of shitty. We would throw these huge events with like sumo suits and video games and like skateboard rams, just a trick the kids to get there, and then you know, then you lock the doors, you know, and make them accept Christ. I mean I was doing I was doing all that stuff, and I didn't feel great about it, but the numbers. It was very effective in terms of the numbers. And like my bosses really loved to be able to say, you know, four hundred kids gave their life to Christ this past week and they love that, just that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: But they're maybe counting like there, have you heard the cavalry or tell Shane, tell me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They always throughout most.
Speaker 2: Isn't it a church chain?
Speaker 3: They always had skate parks, indoor skate parks, so you'd have to go and listen to guy talk for a little bit and then they just like eskate.
Speaker 2: So we all were like, yeah, yeah, we're faith faithful, riddle faith and then we got to skate. So I wonder if they put us on the roster. I got seven more guys.
Speaker 5: If you raised your hand, they put you in the roster. Right, gave your life to Christ? Yeah? Oh yeah, I remember bragging about those numbers and everything like that.
Speaker 4: So, so, Steve, when you were preaching, is that where you first got the idea that maybe you want to do stand up? Were those things somehow intertwined or like funny?
Speaker 1: Were you to use humor?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Funny preacher? Yeah, I just tell all like these crazy stories, or I picked verses in the Bible and then like come up with stories to back the point. It's all just stand up still. It's you know, stand up. You're basically the way I write stand up is you're coming up with a thesis sentence and then a few thesis like points to back the thesis sentence. So it's all just the exact the exact same place where I would get my sermons from the Holy Spirit. That same place is the same place I get my jokes from. Now. It was exact, but that's not how it went down. After I quit. You know, I was twenty two to twenty three years old, and then I just fucking I was just a burnt. I worked at a gas station full time, or no, a liquor store full time, and like a gas station. Then I worked at TJ Fridays in West Covina for six years and partied and partied hard. Yeah yeah, I did ecstasy a couple of times at work. Yeah yeah. I flipped my car on break. I got so drunk at BJ's, like the restaurant next door on break that I drove. I flipped my car in a pole and the bussers ran out and like picked it up and like moved it to a spot and they just sent me home like just I mean, I was just a crazy, like West Covina party.
Speaker 3: Guy on any of those party. Did anyone recognize you as the pastor from the church?
Speaker 5: Uh oh yeah, oh yeah. And to this day and to this day, I just went out with one of my junior high kids. Yet last night she's thirty five. Now I thought, you know, I was only eight years old. Of them like a twelve, twenty year old and a twelve year old. But yeah, I see those I see these people still all the time. But yeah, then I started. I've got married from my first wife when I was thirty and then I started stand up when I was thirty two and that was the end of my marriage.
Speaker 3: So although I do see it help people that maybe need that. Like one of the work camp trips I did in high school, we went to this camp near Mendocino, and these guys were just out of prison and a lot of them had done scary things and they I felt so my back was sweating because they they were intimidating, they were just we were just mingling with them. A bunch of high school kids, but they all wanted to talk about their like do you want to talk about the Bible? And I was just admitted, I don't know much. I just like to go on these trips and help people. I know I'm not helping you right now, but uh, and they it obviously that's what was Shane, making them want to be a better person. So on that level, it's like, how can you be mad at that?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, no, I I And you know it's funny I'm talking all this shit, but my I was abused when I was a kid. Not not crazy, it's just regular Mexican level. And yeah, I could tell these there's a b I have a whole bunch of abuse jokes that I could tell in front of a mexicanized that you can't stay in front of whites because they get like very sad.
Speaker 2: But how do they do at the Mega Church?
Speaker 5: These these those jokes, Yeah, you probably didn't know, but I would bring out that. I would part of my testimony was that I was abused. Chris, that's very oh wow interesting, But oh yeah, I am very grateful because I, like I said, I have a chaotic home life and without the church, I would have never gone to the beach. I've been all over the world a few times on mission trips, and it doesn't really count because we're doing dumb god shit. But you know, I've been to France a few times, and I went to the beach and I just was around people that were kind of healthy. And more importantly, I fell in love with the Bible. I fell in love with the written word, and I fell in love with like coming up with ideas and concepts and thinking in a way that I don't know if I would have ever encountered this stuff. Like my parents didn't even the idea of college. They never mentioned it to us. I didn't go to college, but like it was just not that kind of I don't know. I would have been a cop. I tried to be a cop. I tried to join the military. I would have been a cop. If I didn't go to church, you'd be a funny cop.
Speaker 4: It feels to me like TGI Fridays really is really is the turning point that made all the difference right there.
Speaker 1: Really, you open with those license.
Speaker 4: Plates saying everywhere just like fucking madoris tour Marguerite.
Speaker 5: I mean we had a blast sometimes again, so I get mad because I started stand up so late. And then I look at these kids in their twenties and out here like doing like the youth doing stand up and how much fun they're having. But I was like, no, I'm so glad because I just was a loser, like doing molly, like just getting fucked up in West Covina, and I have like nobody knows about that stuff, Like nobody I could like it's my deep dark secret. Were people still in Covino, West Covina like know about me? If I walk into a sandwich shop, They're like, were you guy that guy who flipped his car when he was on break? And I was like, yeah, that's me.
Speaker 4: I love the fact that the bussers came and turned it back out, turned it back right side, so you wouldn't so so there was no report.
Speaker 1: You did not get in trouble.
Speaker 5: I will only say this on this I have never talked about this part of it, but I had I had hooked up with my manager at that time too, and so that day when I did that, I was black eyed drunk, and you know obviously it's you should not drunk driver. An I'm so The reason I'm laughing about it is because it didn't affect anyone except for I totaled my car. But I flipped, Yeah, I flipped it, totaled it. And the manager at the time was a different guy, and everybody liked me, and they were somebody was like, I saw Steve lose control, and some other guy said, I think we should send him home. He seems out of it. And someone's like, oh, I'll stay, and they gradu just went and got the bussers and some of the cooks and they just flipped over my Honda Civic and put it in a spot.
Speaker 2: What were you were you drifting or something? You know, I'm a fan of that.
Speaker 5: What I was, What I was was blackout drunk Chris Wow. Yeah, I mean, you know I don't drink anymore. I stopped drinking a few years ago.
Speaker 3: But I forgot about the God and thank God it's Friday.
Speaker 2: Is that what it stands for? Of course it did. It's also must see TV. I always but it is God. The word God is I just it isn't realize that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm not. I mean that them putting my car on the spot allowed me to drink for an extra decade and for that, I'm grateful.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of enabling you can find.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank the good God Lord.
Speaker 1: It's Friday.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely crazy.
Speaker 1: That's really a life well lived.
Speaker 2: Now are you two lives?
Speaker 1: Several lives?
Speaker 4: Are you guys still making those videos that you were making during quarantine? You've made some fucking hilarious and Julia shot him and you were doing shit.
Speaker 5: Like she she shoots my eye. I run a show called Worship at the Allegion with Amy Miller and Jamal Johnson, and I won a monthly called Hernia at the Yard, and so I am constantly making videos to promote those things. And yeah, Julia my wife, Julia Lokan, who's has a huge Straw podcast, but she's also a comedian. I mean, we just shot something yesterday for this thing. But I mean she's just absolutely brilliant in terms of editing, and like she's my absolute artistic partner. I really do feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot because I am polyamorous. But it's so evident how in love I am with my wife. I feel like I'm fucking myself in terms of like being polyamorous, because nobody will have anything to do with me. I think people think I'm joking, but I am polyamorous, okay, just the only guys who the only people who hit on me are gay guys, which I am grateful for. I would never know that I'm sexy except for gay guys that were always dropping in on my box. I want to suck your dick right now. I'm like, come on down. I'm at workfall there's an alley out back. I would definitely let you suck my dick.
Speaker 3: We got to let him do it at the in the parking lot on the Mega church.
Speaker 5: We just went by the shoot a video and yeah, they're not there anymore. So I think Amazon It's going to start to take over pretty soon.
Speaker 3: Oh and not in a church way. They're maybe building a warehouse.
Speaker 5: No, they're actually staring Amazon church.
Speaker 3: Wait, they're making them. I think I drove by it.
Speaker 2: It's a giant cement structure like the stretches for.
Speaker 5: In West Covina.
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 3: I drove by something else with a with a giant Amazon logo on it, and it was just the foundation of what looked like, uh, you know, where they're constructing like a millennium falcon in there, something so big.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're building. It's just another place to send out packages. So yeah, it's a.
Speaker 4: Church where if you just hold up your phone as you walk in, then all.
Speaker 1: Of your tithing is taken care of. Amazing. It's been super fun to talk to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, thank you so much for having me. I love both of you guys. Great talking to you as well.
Speaker 1: Do you have any plugs? I mean the Yard.
Speaker 4: You're doing monthly at the Yard, you do a monthly at the Allegian.
Speaker 5: Sure, we're doing worship at the Allegian. I'm just the devil. I'm dressed like the devil, and it's the most fun I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 2: And you always host as the devil at worship.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'm just the devil. I was trying to come up with a way for promotion to differentiate this from Hernia, and I came up with the devil. And now I'm just the devil there and it's the most fun I've ever had in my life. I'm just I bought a real pitchfork. I spent seventy five dollars for it, and I'm just running around. I'm talking about having a group sex I'm trying. I'm trying. The Devil is like trying to break into stand up comedy, talking about grinding getting spots at the store. So it's I mean, that's a very fun show. Amy and Jamal are very talented. And then you can find me of course on Twitter at big Hearn and Instagram at Hernia. So those are my plugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you do at the Hernia show?
Speaker 5: I'm just me. I just do twenty up top. I try to write a new twenty every month. And I talked to Zeed Kutzinger plays God and that, so him and I write pieces together where I kind of do stand up and then we weave me talking to God in between those things too.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that sounds interesting as well.
Speaker 1: You're really doing it. You're doing really doing it.
Speaker 5: Hey man. As soon as I get any level of success, I'm out, Baby, I am out.
Speaker 3: You're not getting out until you do some colleges.
Speaker 4: That's right, We're going to get a booked at colleges.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks for being here, Steve, thank you. You've been listening to Do You Need a Ride?
Speaker 6: D y N.
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Produced by Casey O'Brien.
Speaker 2: Mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 4: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast.
Speaker 1: That's d y n aar podcast.
Speaker 3: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 4: Listen, follow and leave us a review on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts and don't forget.
Speaker 3: You can listen to new episodes one week early on Amazon Music or early and ad free by subscribing to Wondery Plus in the Wondery app.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome.