Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to the climactic final Do you hear me? Everybody, We're getting through this shit final episode of the Story of the Year Tournament of Champions, where we name the top story of the year. You're going to notice a tonal shift between this story and the previous realms, even though we're dropping them in three consecutive days. The previous two episodes were recorded a month ago, yeah, late November, before we all met Luigi Mangoni, and that is we now have a problem that we have to figure out. Where do we put Luigi Mangoni on this list of the stories of the year. My name is Jack O'Brien. That over there is mister Miles Gray, and we are thrilled to be joined by our writer, mister j m mcnae. Hello, Jam, simply haven't wonderful Christmas time hater him must be j McNabb I love when he.
Speaker 2: Gets so freaky with the synth.
Speaker 1: Dude, Jam is furious. There's fucking steam coming out of his ears.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna punch Sir Paul McCartney in the face of.
Speaker 1: You would kill him. Yeah, he's old. We're thrilled to be joined by super producer Victor R.
Speaker 4: What how's it going?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Great? What's up? We're gonna get to the shocking conclusion of the.
Speaker 1: Shocking conclusion that you didn't see coming in that doctors don't want you to know about one shocking conclusion, and of course we're thrilled to be joined by super producer the tiebreaker themselves. All right, so guys here if listens, if you haven't listened to the episode so far, this isn't gonna make a whole lot of sense, but basically we're doing a Sweet sixteen bracket NC DOUAA style tournament, single eliminache of all the top stories that we covered this year and the remain so one half of the bracket is in the final eight Glasgal the Glasgow Willy Wonka story, Mark Robinson, RFK bear Ai six point eight weeks. If you don't know what those stories are, especially they when you're not gonna you were always against Miles, and you should go back and listen. We still have to do the first round of the other side of the bracket and also determine where we put Luigi Mangioni. Although I would like to propose I would like to propose to Luigi Mangioni, would you marry me, sir, may marry me? Say get proposals like prisoners who just who aren't like international heart throbs get proposed to all the time. This motherfucker must be just like buried under a bunch of paper mail cras candy grabs. All right, so here is my proposal. This was, Miles, what you suggested before we started. So we we do have an omnibus story. It is cotton candy burrito election, the US presidential election, the Bridgerton scam, and what if we added Luigi Mangioni to that. Those are all basically about the same thing, you know, class consciousness. Absolutely, cotton candy burrito is a burrito that had like a bunch of shit in it, had too much shit in it. And then like enough said.
Speaker 5: Do we just swap those three out and say, Luigi Mai dunks on all three of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the election, fake Bridgerton, We hate to see you go. We were baying. It was interesting because like it was such a nothing story and yet it was like really resonated with people. People were like, oh, yeah, I remember the cotton candy brito. But anyways, keep grating pissed off. People were angrier at that than they were at the election. As the results of the election, and so the cotton candy burrito was cotton candy on the outside, chocolate and inside. All right, So Luigi Manngioni is now in the bracket in the whatever seed that was going up against Kamala fashion weak party, which was like one that I was expecting to make a lot of noise up until that party just ran into a bus saw. All right, So here are the matchups that we have to do right now. We're gonna just run through them real quick. So one is JD. Vance fucking couches, and then we have the dick two big vaulter. JD. Bance did not in fact write about sucking a couch, but the way the Internet just made it so it was a lot of fun. We were just we weren't working with much on the Democratic side of the ticket. And let's get to it, all right, let's get enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, we already know, we all know the stories we got. We got to roll up our proverbial sleeves here.
Speaker 1: Everybody on three is going to say who they want to win, and that whoever wins will move through on. So I'm gonna say one, two, three, and then you're gonna say your vote okay, not on three okay, So like it'll be almost like you're saying the four okay one.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, which what we're doing here? It's just the final This is all of them.
Speaker 2: No, no, dude, this is the first.
Speaker 1: We're just getting to the first on their coast.
Speaker 2: Of the of our march madness practice.
Speaker 1: This is jd J counchuck versus pull Vaulter.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, if you look in the dogs, I have the bracket so you can visually it's visually represent.
Speaker 2: Okay, I say it. Okay, cauch three.
Speaker 1: Yeah on three, one two three? Couch fucker? What Okay, what did you say, couch falter?
Speaker 2: I said, couch fucker.
Speaker 4: I say couch fucker too, said couch.
Speaker 1: JA said couch fucker. Couch fuckers. Onto the next round, all right, congratulations to JD vance. Catch fucking up. Next, we have ray Gun. This is a fucking what a what a macw holy ship. We have ray Gun going up against RFK brainworm. You know the fact that RFK Junior was being piloted by a brain worm, which just felt appropriate because nothing he did made sense. And then we of course have ray Gun, who appeared to be making fun of the idea of breakdancing as an Olympic event while also being yeah.
Speaker 2: The whole art of breakdancing being an absolute joke.
Speaker 1: Yes, which I disagree with, but there it is, all right on three one two three? Brain worm?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Uh so, jam, I don't think I heard you, I said, Raygun said Regun, I said all of you, Okay, r FK Bear made it. So then may have a brain worm. We don't know, entirely possible.
Speaker 2: That could be the new defense for cultural appropriation. I had this brainworm. Man, I'm not.
Speaker 7: Surprised that our f K has the brain worm.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm salty because I just lost my my retirement funds.
Speaker 4: I bet all the.
Speaker 5: Brian might be kind to you might not know him three bitcoins right exactly.
Speaker 1: Also, the brain worm I was always a little suspicious because it came out during deposition of a divorce where he was like using it almost as an excuse, where he was like, this is why I can't like pay you money. Right, So anyways, all right, up next we have Kendrick v. Drake, the Beef, the wrap.
Speaker 2: Beef he has here about that we got to get a surf and turf in this matchup, it looks like, and that's right.
Speaker 1: And then we have so on one side beef and on the other side we got the private equity shrimp.
Speaker 2: Red lust or whatever.
Speaker 7: This is hard.
Speaker 1: So Red Lobster blamed their bankruptcy on the bottomless shrimp and just being like, you pigs ate too much shrimp and then when you dug in it was private equity. He had another victim of private equity being vampires who just insert themselves and suck up all the money.
Speaker 2: And it's like a Sopranos type thing. They break in, they run your business in the ground, and then you owe them everything.
Speaker 1: All right on three one two three, Kendrick Kendrick Drake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you're.
Speaker 1: Not getting us this time, private equity. Nice try. Sorry, sorry assholes. Back to the shrimp, you go, all right, this is the last one of the first round, and then we will take a break and come back for the Elite eight. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Elite Okay.
Speaker 1: Finally we have Kamala Harris's Fashion Week party, which was just a complete uh compostulation, encasulation in the bottle of just like everything being completely out of touch, just perfect. It's like if this had been more widely covered, we would have all known exactly what was about to happen on election Day. I feel like that is going up against Luigi Mangioni.
Speaker 6: So that's where we're at. And who is Luigi Mangi one? One Man Man Guy one.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it could be like a podcast hosted by a Joe.
Speaker 5: It sounds like a like a Manisphere podcast. Work Manguy one. Actually, my show's on Mangui one, all right.
Speaker 1: Kamala v. Manguy one. And I feel like there's might go down like election night, ready one two three one, Mangui wan. We we are like a lot of America WEEJ and the Juice. I'm gonna keep trying to make that po thing. All right. We have our final eight. We got Glasgow, we got Mark Robinson, RFK Bear Ai six point eight weeks, JD. Couch, fuck Rey gun Kendrick, Drake Beef and Luigi Mangioni. What a What a final eight? What an elite eight? Truly elite this year this time around, no Derella is to be had. We're gonna take a quick break, We're gonna come back, and we're gonna settle this ship once and for all. We'll be right back, man, We're back. Anything anybody wants to cover before, like you know, I've talked about I think I spent some time on why, like the Kambala Fashion Week thing was one of my favorites and not that it fucking mattered, But any thing anybody wants to call out before we get into.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do.
Speaker 5: There is something. There is an extra. There is a new wrinkle on the Mark Robinson story.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if it was covered while I was sick the week that this story came out, But so Mark Robinson, if you remember, one of the big things was like He's like, that wasn't me.
Speaker 2: They set me up. I would not like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 5: And he was using the screen name or like our account name Mini Soldier, M I N I, S O, L D R. And then he remember he soon CNN and Louis money for defamation, okay, because of that story. Then uh, in December, this guy logs onto like a meeting for like inauguration stuff that's happening in the state, and his fucking Google meet login name is Mini Soldier. Like, he logged into a government meeting with the fucking screen name in question, and and it was very internal. This wasn't a public basing thing. But someone from the meeting was like, they sent it to the Assembly, which is the news outlet that first broke all the Mark Robinson shit, and they're like, dude, this guy just fucking signed into a meeting as Mini Soldier. I don't know if that does anything to his case, but yeah, that might be him. So I just want to add that he completely self owned once more before the end of the year.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just so we did we The Glasgow story had had its update right that the guy, oh yeah, the Glasgow uh Willie Wang a scam, had to register as a sex offender for stalking somebody and blamed it all on the Glasgow. Yeah, it was like this story was just I'm not gonna blame it at all on nine to eleven, but it certainly didn't help type shit.
Speaker 5: Oh whoa wait before Oh no, it's it's apparently he was accused of rape.
Speaker 1: Now oh wow, okay.
Speaker 5: So that thing has gotten completely wow a dark, very dark term.
Speaker 1: So these two deserve each other in this matter.
Speaker 2: Very very sordid story here.
Speaker 8: I have one development, one mild development, and it's not a real development. But I've been going on the r slash Drizzy subreddit a lot, which is all about Drake, and I've just been enjoying. After everything, they're still like, actually, Drake is the better rapper. God's Plan was the first one to make it to a billion downloads and not like US isn't even there yet.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: I've just been enjoying all the saltiness from that.
Speaker 5: Subway that GNA is like one of the first albums that's gonna get like gonna get to the fastest billion listen mark or something like that of any rap album.
Speaker 1: That it doesn't even have like ninety tracks. Like yeah, I think a lot.
Speaker 5: Of people are pointing at him like wow, look at that. Sounds like quality is better than quantity A but anyway, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, well let's we can talk a little bit more about that when we get to it. But with Glasgow Mark Robinson in our head, we are now going to vote on three one two three Mark Robinson.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm a Mark Robinson bay or Mark Robinson.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I really the Glasgow one is good, but that the last.
Speaker 5: Thing brought it back for me. Yeah, wow, yeah that was a late That was a buzzer beater for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you would you pick?
Speaker 4: I voted Glasgow Glasgow?
Speaker 1: So oh it was truly a buzzer beater. Was like nobody thought. Nobody thought Mark Robinson was gonna do this, and then Glasgow had to come from behind.
Speaker 2: Sorry too late, Mark Robinson.
Speaker 4: And everyone put Glasgow was like number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah left fand favorite Yeah yeah yeah, okay up next of all the RFK stories, this is the one that survives. Uh you know, we had r f K Whalehead.
Speaker 2: Lost to Mark Robins early early exit for that.
Speaker 1: One, but now we have r FK Bear Heidi Bear where And this was the one. This was the one that like had the whole like long read treatment. The New Yorker like wrote about just what a maniac this guy is and told the story it was. It's very vivid. It does seem to be the one that maybe got the most mainstream media coverage, although the Whalehead seemed to get a lot of like does geist, but maybe that was just because it was last.
Speaker 5: Uh No, it got a lot of mileage because a lot of people started meming that video when he was telling Roseanne about the bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it turned into you know, that was.
Speaker 1: The one where we went from like the brainworm thing is like funny to make fun of, and he's seems like a really strange person to like just being on a different level of like I can truly hear any absurd story about this person, and I guess I have to believe it going forward. That Yeah, So I think that's where the RFK bear is getting a lot of its story. I will say, though, you know, sometimes this happens in sports, where like an entire conference, like all of a sudden, like nine of the ten teams, like they were doing great all year. Everyone was like this conference is incredible, but they were like playing each other, and then they get into like the round of you know, the NCAA tournament, and they just get wiped out because they were just playing like worst teams, like they were all like a level below everyone. And I'm wondering if that's what's happening with RFK. We're about to find out.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm, because it's going up against AI six point eight weeks miles.
Speaker 1: Do we need to refra.
Speaker 2: AI six point no?
Speaker 5: Because everybody knows that's my brainworm, that is Miles's brain.
Speaker 2: Worm, and it tells me what to do and where to go.
Speaker 1: Do we say that this contains in it? It's no Like my version of this is it's no big secret why Van Vought doesn't work in Hollywood anymore, which is a headline I saw all over the place on like the sidebar edge spam things with a picture of Vince Vaughan. It's no big secret why van Vot doesn't work in Hollywood anymore. And it's just an example of the you know, AI brain rot slowly making its way into the world in a way that is like unremarked upon. Everyone's just like uh huh, yeah, yeah, no, everything sucks, nothing makes sense anymore. That's fine anyways, anything anyone wants to add on either of these stories before we put it to a vote, let's throw down, all right, here we go on three we will vote r FK bear AI six twenty weeks one two three ry weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, that I already saw. It's three to two, three to two shot weeks. Yep.
Speaker 5: Shout out the producers for having my back, even though I said y'all were always against me.
Speaker 2: You prove that you prove right now that you weren't. And I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's our early exit. RFK making so much noise earlier, and yet I feel like his story is not yet done, and maybe that's what we're all sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we're we're gonna have to. He's gonna be such a fucking main character this next four years.
Speaker 2: Or hover fucking long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unless like some raw milk ends up being his demise, but yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's just gonna be like a slow, like Cronenberg movie death.
Speaker 5: Like he's like, it's gonna look like Tobias in like Arrested Development when he got the hair transplant and it's slowly killing him in front of everyone and they're like.
Speaker 1: Ooh buddy, yeah yeah that may Maybe then he'll be at number A one seed. That's what That's what it's gonna take. RFK Junior all right up next the other we have the other side of the bracket. JD. Vance Couch fucking versus Ronald Reagan Ronald ray Gun. This bracket is feeling relatively weak this side for some reason. JD. Couch Fuck. I don't know, but maybe maybe that's just me. Anyone speak now forever, hold your piece about either of these stories, how they make you feel, why you think they deserve extra attention.
Speaker 8: They are both weak because they're both like kind of nothing stories Like the JD Vance couch one just literally didn't happen, and then the ray Gunt thing was just a woman embarrassing herself in front of everyone.
Speaker 1: You know, it was our so just mark it down. The victor hates art, okay.
Speaker 3: Well, Also, I feel like the ray gun thing was also this uh it happened when I was like visiting uh my wife's family, and it was this thing where like online culture kind of just intersected with mainstream culture, like I was seeing all of this blowing up on social media, but also everyone in the real world also knew about it and could talk about it. It was just this like huge dominant thing, whereas like the couch, like, I'm sure my parents if I said something about like the JD Vance thing, my parents, I don't think they would know what I was talking.
Speaker 5: She'd be like, I really wish i'd raised you differently, but here we are, sorry.
Speaker 1: Where And then she would have said, couldn't you be an Olympic Breakdancer like that one right.
Speaker 2: In my eyes. I'm like, I was, okay.
Speaker 1: Go on three one, two, three miles, would you choose jd Vance Couch is through to the next round. Congratulations, he's in the final four. Yeah, that's huge. Okay. And finally, I hate to do this, Kendrick Drake versus Luigi Mangione shooting.
Speaker 5: I betray the working class for my West Coast allegiances.
Speaker 1: I mean, both of these hot bodies this year. It's uh, this is not an easy one. This one. On the other side, the last one felt a little light. Wait, this one feels heavy. Yeah, this one's heavy, man, all right, Victor, you wanted to point out the Kendrick Drake beef might seem like it's an over and done with story lives from our perspective out here, but people for people, for the soldiers in the game, especially those backing Drake, they're like, nah, man, this is.
Speaker 5: Even on the even on the Kendrick Lamar sub it's still constantly talked about, to the point where like all the old heads that were using our our Kendrick Lamar, We're like.
Speaker 2: Bro, I can't wait for the beef ship to stop. Because there's like a bunch of new people who are just.
Speaker 5: Like, like, this ship is not about Drake Lamar. Yeah, so it's still it still lives rent free in everyone's brains and hip hop for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, here we go. I actually don't know which one I'm gonna pick. It's gonna it's gonna have to be in the moment for me. Okay, all right on three? Okay, one huh two?
Speaker 4: Three, Louis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, all right, let's stop, let's stop pretending.
Speaker 5: And I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but this ship is bigger than hip hop, bigger than hip hop, you know.
Speaker 1: All Right, We're gonna take one more break. We're gonna come back. It is the Final Four, and we're gonna we're gonna have the daily Zeitgeist, Season of Champions, Story of the Year, Tournament of Champions. All of those words in that order is what I intended to say. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And can I just take like one minute to just argue that maybe Dick too big Pole Vaulter deserves to just like be considered back in here.
Speaker 4: All right, how much money did you lose?
Speaker 9: I rewatched the video and that was it does deserve something. I was like, damnation, I feel so bad.
Speaker 2: You know you feel bad?
Speaker 7: No, yeah, I mean that that guy he lost because of winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So one thing. A couple of details of that story are that he had hit the bar already with his knees as he was going over the bar, and I have a loose theory that he thrust his dick forward in order to like catch it because he had already lost, and so, in a moment of like ingenious viral.
Speaker 7: Marketing, yeah you got to do it for the market.
Speaker 1: Actually caught his dick on it and was like, oh, I was a golden I was my big dick away from a gold medal.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna need Kevin Costner to dim the lights and explain this to me.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: I did see that.
Speaker 5: There was he posted at the time, like a video of him like that pole vaulting attempt, and in French, the translation was pov, you create more buzz for your package than your performances, and then the caption also put I don't know, really, I really don't know if I should take it well or not, but with like laughing emojis, he's a good sport and also, bro, you were't gonna win the That's fine, it was good, good marketing, great marketing.
Speaker 8: We could email him and saying that he made it on this bracket. Maybe that would make him feel a little bit better, you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeah, he made it to the final No wait, never mind, shut never mind, never mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we shouldn't tell him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Glasgow versus AI six point eight weeks Glasgow versus AI slop.
Speaker 5: Now, this is hard because it's like a chicken or egg type situation where I look at me personally, I look at the AI six point eight weeks thing as just sort of like this all encompassing, like this is exactly why we need to fucking run in the opposite direction of AI in terms of like content generation or whatever and many other things.
Speaker 2: But then Glasgow, why am I saying Glasgow?
Speaker 5: Like you, Glasgow is like a better scam with so many more fun things, And I'd rather see like a mockumentary about.
Speaker 7: That than the IX you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, sure Glasgow does have elements of the AI slop in it. Yeah, yeah, the the what were some of the words that that they were advertising?
Speaker 2: It was so bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just a bunch of made up rip. Yeah this great, Okay, So just some things that were on eating catating live performances, carchie tons, exascer dre, lollipops, Pasi dice of sweet teats, ah sweet sweet in it, and like one picture that was, you know a good example of like what good ai ar can do, where it like looks like a trapper keeper, but it looks like, oh this is they've actually built a wonderland of candy. Like this looks like a modern updating of what Willy Wonka's chopping factory would actually look like. And then you get there.
Speaker 5: And yeah, the intoxicating nature of ai and how it will draw people like moths to a flame only to find out it's a big fucking disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The actual image was like a empty where how else with some like plaster of Paris, big candy cane ships and some.
Speaker 2: Really bummed out looking workers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very bummed out. I really do think it sums up so many different parts of the of it all. All right on three, anybody else speak now forever hold your peace.
Speaker 3: I will say I do think there's something but the Willy Wonka, the fact that it's almost like it's by mistake, like it's it's a genuinely hilarious comedy that you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like it's a hopeful story about ai uh and in that way.
Speaker 8: Well, and it kept going like each week there was new like someone else was speaking out against it, or we got a worker's perspective.
Speaker 4: So it was an ongoing story.
Speaker 2: Of fired copycat scam events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bridgerton does like belong to this story and something. Yes, Miles, do you want to just read the six twenty eight weeks copy?
Speaker 5: Just want I'm just again. I'll find out who's against me. Okay, that's all.
Speaker 2: That's what I'll use this vote for. I don't need to remind people how important this is to me. Okay, so we'll see. That's right, let's call the motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: Yeah on three then one two three? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wait did I think the switch?
Speaker 1: I think you did?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, it's you asked a I to write that answer for you.
Speaker 2: Which one's better?
Speaker 1: Hurry?
Speaker 2: Help me help me? Yeah it's Glass what And I was like, I'll take it. Glasgow? All right, Glasgow, you're in the final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, salute to six twenty eight weeks. I do think we got to read the six twenty eight weeks one last time just to give it a fair sendoff. This is how it originally appeared. Yeah, in Jam's original story and apparently quote research indicates the gen Z millennials plan to sell it rate Halloween by dressing up and planning for the holiday about six point eight weeks beforehand, uh, which would And then in the actual article, well six point eight weeks from Memorial Day is the fourth of July, so you still have plenty of time to latch onto a pop culture trend and turn it into a creative costume. Just absolute meaninglessness. Absolutely, Melissa Kravitz Hoffner, you should be.
Speaker 2: Ashamed if that is your name, exactly, it's probably your fucking Melissa Kravitz Hofna.
Speaker 1: That's who writer is coming back exactly.
Speaker 2: Melissa Kravitz Hoffna. You've been the raised.
Speaker 1: This started with a story about Eminem's prematurely launching Pumpkins Spice season in June. Yeah, fucking crazy, that is too early anyways, Audios, Ai Slop, I'm sure you will be on next year's story of.
Speaker 2: Right after this all.
Speaker 1: Right on the other side of the bracket, we have what one JD vent J versus Luigi Mangioni.
Speaker 2: The song of Luigi Mangoni. Yep.
Speaker 1: I mean this is uh just raising so many h things that I can't say out loud in my head, pairing these two against each other. But uh, you know, I'll just say we so we got the catch. But yeah, really, the JD Vance couch fucking thing took over the Internet for a good week at a time when we really needed it, yep.
Speaker 2: And it launched a thousand weird ships too. These guys are just weird. Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I mean to be fair, Like we were talking about how it didn't cross over as much as Reagan, but the Democratic vice presidential candidate did like make reference to it and talk.
Speaker 2: About the weird stuff, and it just started with like a dude.
Speaker 3: It was just like a guy who did like, yeah, it's just a ship post and that it made it from that to like yeah, being referenced in national politics and also just so easy to check to see.
Speaker 2: If But did it matter? It exacted matter, And that's what.
Speaker 5: I think, BELI yeah, because you're like, I don't know, I don't know, maybe we might.
Speaker 8: I also feel like that was the one thing that Republicans didn't like being called. They didn't like being called weird.
Speaker 1: Democrats are like, okay, our bad the basti.
Speaker 2: Where they draw the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the one thing they could actually point out that didn't make people be like, and I bet they call me weird. You know, as we've talked about, like when the Democrats are like looking down there, no was that the Republicans like that actually helps the Republicans, like that's part of the strategy. David Graeber talked about how these Republics, you know, George W. Bush went to Yale, but then when he became a politician, he suddenly had a thick Southern accent and like spend his time on the ranch because he knew like it was part of a strategy where by being a hick, he would get the Democrats to make fun of him for being a hick, and then all the people would be like, well that's me, Like you're making fun of me, asshole. Yeah, and you know, Trumps similarly, like there's plenty of things that he embodies that people criticized that people were like, yeah, you probably say that about me, but weird feels like not one of them. It really is wild. We talked before the election. I don't know if we've talked enough about it after, but that like, once an election happens, it becomes everyone's just like yeah, and that was always what was going to happen, and there was no other way to avoid what was going to happen. And the Republicans were going to win in a landslide.
Speaker 2: But they didn't win in a lance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't win in a landslide. And also if they had just fucking you know, Kamala Harris at one point was like leaning in a direction of like populism and like criticizing corporations for greedflation, and then one of her advisors was like, don't do that, what are you doing? And then the weird thing went away. Also, so just you know, who knows what would have happened if they didn't have exactly the wrong instincts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they should have leaned into the couch fucking thing more like they should have been like dramatic commercials.
Speaker 1: Body Double just looks like child hire Haley Joel OSMONCC.
Speaker 5: Just fucking like they're like, man, we racked up a lot of fines for area commercial, all right, It.
Speaker 1: Is JD Evans couch fuck versus Luigi Mangioni on three one two three?
Speaker 5: Jad?
Speaker 2: What yeah you think? Wow? Wait, is that who you picked to lose?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: When who are you talking to?
Speaker 1: I just convinced myself of the JD vance catch Fox during the course of that. Wow.
Speaker 7: Okay, I just I'm always gonna choose Luigi.
Speaker 1: Miles and Bay chose Luigi. Did anybody else choose?
Speaker 2: I chose Luigi?
Speaker 4: Okay, moves on?
Speaker 1: Luigi moves on? All right?
Speaker 5: I mean I think that goes with that again. This one guy has created so much class consciousness that the media is absolutely fucking freaking out and many other people like, like, how do we fucking not talk about any of this?
Speaker 1: I speaking of past consciousness? Though? Have you read Hillbilly ellogy Man?
Speaker 9: He literally made like a glitch in the in the matrix, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Luigi Like, so, I can't, I can't, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just think the image of a guy fucking couch is funny, of course.
Speaker 5: Yea too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, though, but think about like how he would have done.
Speaker 8: It, yeah, ouch, and a funny you know, a Barca lounger would be funnier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ricky was that the video, the pretty Ricky video where those guys all fucking couch an automan, they're like showing their stroke game off.
Speaker 4: You remember that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah teenagers? Anywow, So we have the finals.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It is Glasgow versus Luigi Mangioni. Yep, and any final words Glasgow.
Speaker 5: I think they're they're they're both powerhouses in their own right. Glasgow being an encapsulation of like popular culture and everything that's happening and how we love to.
Speaker 2: Laugh at scams and all that shit.
Speaker 5: The Luisi Mangoni I think is like incredibly revealing about like the state of America. How suddenly there's bipart is in agreement over someone dying, but also then everyone talking about their hatred of the American healthcare system.
Speaker 2: And what that's done. Very powerful for us.
Speaker 5: I guess now it's kind of like we're deciding what's like the story that like really for like damn, that was such a year that was and that goes to Glasgow or it's like holy ship this was.
Speaker 2: I think that was the other reason too with the election, where like, of.
Speaker 5: Course the election is the biggest story because it's our most consequential.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something about Burrito and like a Bridgerton thing in the election.
Speaker 2: And then the Luigi story, I think is just I don't know.
Speaker 5: I find it very very interesting personally, and I think like most people do. We've talked about it plenty on the show.
Speaker 2: Do we do fun? I don't know. I look at one the other.
Speaker 7: Thing, the Glasgow versus Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is, and that's what getting to the championship. I will just say this is the This is not the Time magazine story of the year. This is the daily zeitgeist story of the year. Tournament of champions that doesn't I'm not saying weeks I don't get Yeah, yeah, and yeah. Is it the story the biggest story? Is it the story that we deserve as a second rate podcast.
Speaker 3: Bias to a certain extent to the Luigi mang Is it possible?
Speaker 1: Question? That is a good question. Do I want to cast a like have the champion be something that the listeners didn't get a chance to vote on. I say yes because I despise our listen. Now I'm just joking. Yeah, I don't know, it's there. They're two very different stories very powerful for different reasons. Uh, guys, I'd love to have both of you win. Unfortunately, only one can win. It is Willie Wanka Glasgow versus Luigi Mangoni.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One thing that could potentially, uh make the Willy Wonka story less appealing is the people that tried to turn it into a musical with like John Stamos. Remember that. To me, that almost kind of ruins the joke when you remember that, take it and make it like funny. It's like it was already funny.
Speaker 2: You don't need to wait.
Speaker 7: They wanted to use the warehouse.
Speaker 1: No, no, they made it.
Speaker 3: I think it was like a fringe, a fringe of.
Speaker 4: Broadway. Yeah, it was like a wouldn't fringe?
Speaker 2: Would I didn't even know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so it's like it was already like this, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and live musical that takes inspiration from the disastrous Willy Wonka inspired event in Scotland.
Speaker 1: I'm so confident nobody's ever going to know about anything that comes of that that I'm I'm all right discounting it. But okay, god damn Stamos. That is that is tough to discount. All right, we're gonna do on three.
Speaker 2: Wait, I don't know I'm going to vote for yet.
Speaker 5: All right, everybody say, hey, look, take a second. If you need to pray, go ahead, and you discuss that with whoever you need to.
Speaker 3: Can I have the length of the old America's Funniest home videos?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? Yeah? Where Like everybody's like, all right, lock in your answer. And when I say, this is you? Is this what you want to be? You deserve to be in blue? You knew.
Speaker 2: Time to vote one?
Speaker 1: Two, three?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I kind of take it back what you say?
Speaker 1: What I said?
Speaker 4: Glasgow, Jane, What did you say?
Speaker 2: I said, Luigi.
Speaker 4: Victor? Would you say I said, I said Luigi. I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: Luigia.
Speaker 2: He'll hear this. O.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the champ is here. The winner is Luigi MANGIONI came through stormed in. My only thought. The reason I voted against him, and I hope he's not mad at me same I is that I felt like Willie Walka Glasgow is the story that twenty twenty four deserved.
Speaker 7: It's just it's got a scammy nature.
Speaker 1: I love nature of it was kind of what I was thinking, so.
Speaker 5: You're saying right right before you dropped your ballot and actual actually actually actually I know and you went Glasgow.
Speaker 2: No, that's I never changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hadn't had mine. It's but we just wanted to go down on your permanent record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just gonna put that.
Speaker 9: Well, my heart goes to Luigi MANGIONI always, because you know, it's my heart will go on. Yeah, because you know, he is just power to the.
Speaker 7: People, you know.
Speaker 9: But but the Glasgow, it was just there's just this underground scammy feeling that I that I think kind of represents TDZ.
Speaker 1: So would it.
Speaker 3: Change things if you found out that Luigi Mangoni was also the one who pushed Jay Leno down that hill.
Speaker 1: That's another one that might have made the list if it had happened before. Yeah, I think it probably would have been in there. Anyways, this has been our first story of the year Tournament of Champions. I'm really happy with how it went. I really appreciate all the listeners who contributed votes and who contributed stories. I really appreciate everybody who got on MIC to just bare their heart and soul about what they thought was the most important stories that happened this year.
Speaker 4: I did just realize something. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 8: People contributed stories and we just threw all those stories out to give Luigi Mangioni the best story of the year.
Speaker 1: I did. I did say that before we voted, and you can blame me. That was part of the reason I thought a vote for Glasgow as a vote for the Zeit Gang, because zike Gang, You're always in my heart, but Miles you know, doesn't doesn't care.
Speaker 5: Look, I saw a lot more of Luigi Ak's than I did Willy Wonka Ak's.
Speaker 1: That's that's definitely you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Definitely it did something.
Speaker 1: It did something.
Speaker 2: It even got me a quote in Jacobin, So hell yeah, I'll take that.
Speaker 1: Did you really? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think someone listens to the Daily Zeitgeist.
Speaker 5: It's like in an article like last week, someone remember Zitgang showed me and I was like, oh, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't know that. I would have voted for Mangioni. Man, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Just like I said, y'all were always against.
Speaker 1: Me getting quoted in Jacobin. Goddamn it was.
Speaker 2: It was straight out like something that I said on the show. So I was like, okay, shut up to you well again.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they said, as Miles Gray said on the podcast The Daily Zeitgeist, and then.
Speaker 1: Offer we are back.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I really hope they don't quote that part where I said something about Dick van Dyke.
Speaker 2: Fucking an Ottoman.
Speaker 1: Said on the podcast The Daily Zaiica. Guys, great year, great work, great bracket. We will be doing this again next.
Speaker 5: Year until legal technically considered illegal activity, right the new regime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that's gonna do it. We're back with more year end content coming up. But that is the end of the tournament. Prepare for montage of Luigi Mangioni doing various things in slow motion like they do at the end of the n C Double A tournament as we play what's the song one Shining moment Shining? It's the song sucked, but it's been given like a very a place of primacy courtesy of CBS. All right, another one in the books, swish welawless victory. Thank you very much to Bryan the editor for turning that into a podcast. A lot of I design, a lot of overlapping bullshit. Thanks everybody. In the New Year by