Speaker 1: Immediately after that game in locker room, it was shocked, Why did we not run it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think that was what everybody was thinking.
Speaker 1: Was that was that everyone's mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he still thinks. I think that's one. He would probably never say that, but I did. I bet in his head a little bit there, Like he wonders if what happened if you just ran the ball? Right? I think most likely could did two quarterback sneaks? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That sorry that I'm thankful that they ran.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on the mission to find the greatest game of all time. And on today's episode, the twenty fourteen NFC Championship game between the Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks, with eleven year NFL VET Super Bowl champion, three time Pro bowler and former teammate Michael Bennett, we get into talking the story behind his pads or lack thereof.
Speaker 2: And my show up pass are super small. I enjoyed it though, you know, everybody'd be like, how'd you even every game? They'd be like, like, I don't care about to knock somebody out.
Speaker 1: His fight with Rob Gronkowski in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh not just like man, they won, you know what I'm saying, Like, let's fight.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, And what it's like to play for Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick and Seattle.
Speaker 2: They never really called out like Russell on certain things, but like, but Bill will call talk him out on everything. How's a guy who's been the MVP four times? This fucking route right here, and you're just back there like dam going off with Tom Brady right now, and.
Speaker 1: Then we hit the old hot line. You gotta stick around to the very end. Let's go Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. January eighteenth, twenty fifteen, Century League Field, Seattle, Washington, but.
Speaker 2: Back to back Super Bowls on the line. Russell Wilson throws a pick down two scores with five minutes.
Speaker 1: The Packers have a ninety nine point three percent probability to win. So you're telling me there's a chance, there's always a chance.
Speaker 2: This is the.
Speaker 1: Twenty four NFC Championship game. Yeah, it's so hard to explain a football, American football game to someone who's never seen it, like international. Yeah, because I have a couple of people that you know, you have these international friends you meet and they're like, oh, football, what is that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, you guys stop every play. I'm like, yeah, it's it's very strategic. You gotta get ten yards and four tries.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The ball exchange when kicking is always confusing to them. Why are you doing this?
Speaker 2: They don't understand nothing. You try to get them.
Speaker 1: Like it has grown though.
Speaker 2: I'll get confused on rugby too because I don't understand it. I'm like, but why would you want to get hit like that? How much are they paying? Like that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Don't they make money in other countries though Rugby like Australian, Yeah, they gotta make money.
Speaker 2: You're always like looking at the four of yourself like like, damn, I should have been a race.
Speaker 1: Car driver, bro, I don't know if you could fit in a race.
Speaker 2: No, but it had been the first. You know, they would have to make it for me because everything's changing. You got to make everything for everybody. And like I could sue them because they don't have the right size car for my body, Like it could be a whole thing, force my way into that.
Speaker 1: It's a weight thing.
Speaker 3: Soon Nascar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just doing d I could just just do it. I could literally just du my way right to the top, Like I could come in last and just be like, but it's for tall people. I'm the first tall person to come in last place in NASCAR. Like I'm in the history books.
Speaker 1: Freaking the Bennetts. I mean, this is the kind of ship that Marty was saying the offensive team meeting. When we're about to go, like the AFC Championship, Marty would be like, have a random thought just like that. So it's it's hereditary.
Speaker 2: It's hereditary. But I was I was just like, yeah, I should have been a NASCAR like looking at Lois Hamilton, like, man eighty five a year, that's that sounds pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well that's not an ASCAR Formula one. Yeah, those guys make a lot. All right, let's get it started. Welcome to Games with Names. Today we are talking the twenty fourteen NFC Championship between the Packers and the Seattle Seahawks. Welcome to the studio, Michael Bennett.
Speaker 2: Nice to be here, man, This is a nice studio, though I don't think people were real live high nice.
Speaker 1: Actually it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is it's like you're surrounded by wood right now. It feels very warm.
Speaker 1: You know, if that comes from you a man who's in architectural digest school, he's got furniture companies. I mean it means I'm doing something.
Speaker 2: Now, you're doing something right, beat to a lot of athletes's houses, and like sometime like just because you got money, don't mean you got taste. You know, we'll take it.
Speaker 1: Well, the nuthouses got taste, That's right, the definitely got taste, all right. So in one sentence, why did you pick this game?
Speaker 2: I would say maybe one word grit. I think it was a gritty game because sometimes and as you know, those championship games, like when you guys play the Falcons, like it was like that on don't know why you can win that game? Is true grit because it takes everything. A lot of times people get into those moments where the game just seems very impossible and you're just kind of looking around at your teammates and looking like looking at who's going to give up? You know what I mean, And like every once in a while you look around and you're like nobody's giving up, And then like that become the most grittiest moments in the game. Those are games that you really remember grit.
Speaker 1: That's that's probably one of the best one sentence answers that we've gotten on.
Speaker 2: This hands down.
Speaker 1: That's a football freaking answer. Now, it is just the greatest game of all time.
Speaker 2: Nah, not the greatest game of all time. Maybe my greatest game of all time. But there's been so many great I don't think there is one great greatest game of football because I feel like football is constantly changing and things like at one point, you know, the people who were would make the Hall of Fame in the nineteen sixties win make the team now, you know what I'm saying, Like the game is changing and evolving, and like there's just more beautiful moments that keep happening. You know, sometimes it's purely office and it's purely defense. It feels like more football is like these years, more offense than it is defense. You know, Like there's so many great games, Like you look at Patrick Mahomes last year. It's just every game changes, and I think it just happens. I don't know there's no one great game of football because the game of football is just great by itself.
Speaker 1: Another great answer but I did hear one thing. Last ten years, eight of the top eight of the Super Bowl champions had top five defenses.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's important. I think people overlook defense.
Speaker 1: Hey, defense wins championship.
Speaker 2: That's right, baby, Offense score ports. But you gotta have somebody to stop it.
Speaker 1: You know, you gotta make one stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the point of having a big pool with a big ass leak.
Speaker 1: What's the point of having a big pool with the big ass league.
Speaker 2: You jump in that bitch and but your head wide open like that.
Speaker 1: No, water is like blood sport. You can make it a fighting thing.
Speaker 2: Now remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh A love that fighted the pools that are half done.
Speaker 2: And kickboxing when he was kicking that tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw some chick doing that. I think she was in Russia, from Russia or something. Those Russians are crazy, man.
Speaker 2: People don't really give Joue club down, his his his his his props. Like well, like all these action movie stars, like this guy was doing his own action movie. Like this guy was like every movie back in the nineteen eighties and early nineteen nineties, Like you know, like you watching it movies with him. Time cop, like I love time Cop Double Impact Man Double Impact, and then the one where he was, uh, he was going on that trip and he and he was fighting, and then he had the he stole a guy's name in New York in like nineteen nineteen or something that Time Cop. No, No, it's not Time Cop. It's the one where they were, like, I can't even think of the name of it right now. I might have to text you about it. That's not Double Impact. No, it's the one where they were there was a championship. They had to win that thing, that championship, and he got he stole something. They left him in Thailand and he learned how to fight the kickboxer. No, it's not Kickboxer. Same premise, though they are. I they were. My favorite movie about him was Cyborg, though.
Speaker 1: I liked Universal Soldiers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forgot about Universe soci Yeah, I was. Yeah, he's like we need to give him, so give him his props because.
Speaker 1: Like he was flexible, freaking yoked. Yeah, he could do all them. There was. Every one of those movies had at least a ten to fifteen minute montage of him doing some kind of like split freaking like kung fu type, like leisure full I don't even know what it's called, but that crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: But you don't speculate it. You don't even watch it for the language or the talking or the script. You just like he whooping the ass in the fake and then the double double, the double kick where he like do kick two people at one time?
Speaker 1: He and the split.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that one, that one.
Speaker 1: I mean he did it in like at least six of them loved.
Speaker 2: It that movie. Yeah, he should have been in UFC, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, those guys will choke them out.
Speaker 2: No, But the other guy was like him too though, but he people forgot about that guy too, the guy from.
Speaker 1: Canada, Saint Pierre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a monster.
Speaker 2: He was a monster, but he didn't Unfortunately he didn't catch a big part of the time when money was like a big part of it. No, it was still new, it was still knew, Like Conor McGregor, like he made so much money because like.
Speaker 1: A huge thing that catapulted in the UFC. Though he was like one of the first real big superstars of it. Dana come on and talk about it, and he was loving that up. I mean, I know they have their things, but like he's very appreciative of Connor because of his world's success. So clearly nowadays your daily life schedules watching a lot of fighting. You're a big fighting faniced today looked like now that you are retired. Average day, average day, what are you doing these days?
Speaker 2: Average day? I wake up, make myself a a barista, coffee myself, got my own coffee machine, get my own beas.
Speaker 1: What's the coffee?
Speaker 2: I like this one? I got this one from Columbia. I was just in Columbia.
Speaker 1: Now as an expressive is it a coffee?
Speaker 2: I do espresso sometimes most of the time, but then I'll do make my own. I like flat white, so I'll make my own flat white, but I have to get the machine. Froth, yeah, dude, the froth and ship is hard, though it is. It's a mastery. Like I actually have a lot of respect for Starbucks every time I go there. Now, Like at first, I be like, damn herd with the coffee, man, I got some ship to do, you know what I mean? But then I'm like, hey, man, calm down, and ship they doing is very hard. I tried it at home, you know, Like I'm empathetic to Starbucks at five am.
Speaker 1: That little the little tree they make is not easy. The little tree thing they make with the milk is not easy. That's art the name right, Yeah, man.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's that's some art.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: There's and but I wake up and make some coffee, take the kids in school, jump into meetings because I'm designing so much stuff. So it's like I'm always like meeting with manufacturer and the team and like you know, contractors, just designing really kind of mostly what the day.
Speaker 5: Is studio cur Yeah, can you explain what a studio curve occurs?
Speaker 2: Like? It's I guess it's a monoker at the studio name that I use for my design practice. What you is? It means home in Whooloff Senegaluese language. When I retired, I went into a design school, in architecture school, and then I just started designing after that. I always my brother always said, had a great test, so he was like it was super easy to go into design. But I always didn't want to just go into the design like from a sense of like this highness level where it's just like I've made some money and I'm just gonna not do it the proper way. I think because I went to football. It's like going to school with collegiate kids. I mean the first time I went to school, you know, that first time was all about going to the NFL. You know, it was like what nah, I'm running the sprint, you know. But this new time was the second time I went. It was really learning. It was learning. It was like it was very good, but it was like I was like, damn, I don't know how to use a computer. I was in there. It's like like I even know the computer could do all this, you know what I mean? Like I'm just straight up like email and looking at World Start.
Speaker 1: And then you know, I'm one hundred percent the same boat.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: Like now that we you know, we've made this production company, we got all these Google docs and we have, you know, the workplace, I'm like becoming a little bit of you know.
Speaker 3: It guy, how many Google Docs have you actually opened?
Speaker 1: You open every Google because we do. We do the Google docs for Fox kickoff.
Speaker 2: Yes, seven jobs though, you know this guy has like seven jobs.
Speaker 1: Seriously, But I like everything on the Google doc because everyone could throw it in there.
Speaker 2: You know, it's you learning. It's like and I think the thing I learned about in design school is just like to have humility, right, I think to start over to transition to something else, you got to be able to like be okay with not knowing anything and be okay with like being coached and do I think so having no skills from football actually made going into architecture school a lot easier because although my wife was like, why are you up at four o'clock in the morning, like doing a project right now, I'm like, it's like, but I'm I'm I'm doing it. You know, I want to do it from the traditional hard way of learning, But being in football kind of learned all those things right precision, teamwork, collaboration like work ethic, all these things that you want to find as an athlete to put into somewhere else. It becomes very difficult sometimes because a lot of people don't know where to put that skill out. But there's a lot of things you could do that don't require you to go get hit anymore. That you could take these skills and apply them to something else and become really good at good at certain things.
Speaker 1: Applicable, the things that if you were a guy that was in the league for a consistent amount of time, those skills can be applicable to anything. Yeah, like what kept you in the NFL? What got you the NFL. If you treat anything like it was the NFL and you had a longer career that you could apply those to anything, it'll translate. And I I I'm you know, you have three, three daughters. They're here right now, they're beautiful, and they're looking at schools and I'm so. I so try to bring that into my father and with my child. With what you just said, you learned how to learn through sport, Yeah, because that was your passion. Yeah, I try to tell that to my daughter. You know, like right now, when you're doing soccer, you're learning how to learn, learn how to you're learning because you're learning communication when you have to lean on a teammate. You're learning the accountability factor of when you didn't put your practice in and you did something wrong and you're you're gonna feel embarrassed around your teammates because they're doing the right thing. You learn all these real life moments in team sports. And I love that you say that. I'm gonna have Lily watched this specific part. And there's no f poms yet, No, No.
Speaker 2: It's true because I tell my kids all the same thing. It's like I think in the NFL, like what they say, the tape don't lie on Monday, like it's gonna be revealed. It if you were supposed to be in the B gap and you're on the on Sunday, you're like, I wasn't the big gap, boy, but you're in your head, you know you was. Their coaches like, but they just ran a power in the big gap. You're like, but I was there, Like you argue it in reality and you're like, I wasn't in the gap. Yeah, And so it's like being you know it don't and so results don't lie. So like having your kids understand what sport is for, like isn't so much about the championships or it's just about I mean, of course in the NFL, but at that level, is really about learning how to learn, how to learn, and then respecting lost so much that you respect winning. You know what I'm just saying, Like what is what is losing feels like? And then when you win, you like, what does that feel like? You respect losing so you can understand winning, you know what I'm saying. I think that becomes very complicated for kids sometimes because you know, it's like, well, it's always like nah, it's about the process. You know. Everybody always get caught up in the finished product. And we live in a generation where everything is microwaveable, and it's like we always see the finished thing of everybody. We look at Kim Kardashi, but we missed them years when she didn't when it was when she didn't have that you know what I'm saying, Nobody remember that part, Like we just remember the finished product in law school.
Speaker 1: We miss the years that she really god damn smart or goddamn grinder.
Speaker 2: But but that's what I'm saying, It's so much about we missed. We live in a generation where Instagram and Facebook, they only give us the finished product of things, and we missed like the phases that people go through. And I think that it's important for children to learn their teams. You know, it was like, you know, you're not gonna win. But like I said, that's why I said the word grit, because you find out who grew up in the gritty situations, you know. I remember Coach Carroll brought Angela Duckworth to the to the to the team and she wrote the book called Grit, and I remember, you know, I was like, man, what do white people know about grit? But then she taught me something, you know what I'm saying, And but it was good.
Speaker 1: Though Michael was Marty and Marty's bigle bro.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, keep going. But it's true. It's like you got to have grit to survive, right, because it's like, and it gets more complicated the more wealthy achieve. And how do you teach people that have to have empathy, to have understanding about other people's experiences, to respect the journey of others is really really hard. So your Daddy's right, literally practice practice now.
Speaker 1: Talking about your team, you came from a household of six. Your family was military family. Yeah, you're moving around a bunch. What was that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What was what was growing up in the Bennett household?
Speaker 2: Like, man, growing up in the Benning household was very fun. Me and my brother are very close. Like my parents got divorced and my dad got remarried and then we went separate ways, but then we also kind of always got together as a family. Like my brother and my other sister live with my mom and him. Me and my brother lived with my dad and my dad and his new wife had a baby, and it was a was like a blended family. So I feel like America is kind of like this's like traditional familyation. It's just kind of blended, right, And I think we grew up really between Texas and Louisiana was like the main place, but like growing up in California, living in San Diego, living in Brimington, traveling around, been in the military. I think you you, I feel like I was born to go to NFL because I feel like that's kind of like how things are in the NFL, Like like you were lucky, you had to be. You were on one team for a long period of time. A lot of guys got to move around a lot. But you earned that though I'm not saying you was given to you, but you earned that way to be on one team. A lot of times you get moved around. But I think as a kid was kind of like seeing my dad in the military. My stepmam was a teacher and which that was really great because I got to see how school systems work. But it was a very traditional family, like we had dinner everything, but it was a sports family. Me and my brother, we just played everything together. We shared a room. We did play college football together, high school football together. On the time we didn't play together was in an NFL. We did have a chance though, when I was coming out to go to Chicago. But then my brother was like, you know what, you stay in Seattle because it's like that's your thing, you know what I mean. And Plus, once I called and they said Julius Peppers was leaving, I was like, I'm good. I thought Jap was gonna be there. So I was like I always wanted to play with Julis Peppers and he was leaving. But growing up and just moving around kind of like and you know, being from Louisiana and growing up in Texas, it's they're very close. So I got a lot of times, you know, spending during the school year in Texas and going home to the countryside of Louisiana during the summertimes. I learned so much. I think that was kind of where we kind of like played football and we want to be Alvin Harper, want to be everybody the Cowboys. I grew up, my favorite team was Tempa Bay, so I was was was like Tempa Bay, Temple Bay. Why. I just love defense. I love one set Rendez, Barber, everybody, John Lynch, Brooks, Shelton, Dereck brook Barber, Yeah, Barber, Uh great expires, Like just had tons of people like Mike Aslock. John said, like you know everybody, John Gruden, you know what I mean, before John Gruden got hit with the racist thing. But you know, hey, you know.
Speaker 1: You know it happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John, I mean you never said anything to me, but you know, but but I just loved, loved the Temple Bay. It was a defense, you know. So like seeing all those guys rush the passer, Warren Sapp and just everybody Boogermint Farland like those my team. So I just run Tampa two all the time, Tampa to Tampa two.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That's all I ever did. Then Bliss Ronde Barber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think everyone what years were those I was on the cover, wasn't he?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout out money Kiff and Tampa to baby Oh yeah money that defensive.
Speaker 2: Uh tree though, Like sometimes when I when I played for Tampa Bay, like when I used to go up there and look at that tree, like dangn who Tony Dungee. Rahie Moore is he.
Speaker 1: Was head coach there for a second. Yeah, he's the head coach, but he's also like twenty two years old too.
Speaker 2: He was also a part of like the younger tree, you know, like looking back when they just had all the extra coaches like you uh and then they had uh, Tomland, they had, they had who else they had? They had so many coaches on that team. But it was just crazy when you just go up there and see herm Edwards. It's just like a lot of great people on that team that were coaches, and you like look back at like they not only did they have a Hall of Fame staff of have a Hall of Fame players, but they also had Hall of Fame staff and coaches. Like all those guys became head coaches and made their own impact in the game. Like Mike Tumblin has been coaching the same same game, same team.
Speaker 1: You know, had lost and that a losing season. Yeah, been pretty impressible with no offense this year. Yeah, it's been crazy. Are you still watching ball man?
Speaker 2: Come on, I love football. I watch football like I watch on YouTube though.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just the highlights that watched the tim like I got to get the twelve minutes and twelve minute, Yeah, get the twelve minutes off it Like it's like, like you know what I mean, like the two hours, three hours of watching one game.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have Sometimes I'll do if it's like a really cute game.
Speaker 4: That was my first thought when you were living in Wales, like how do you watch ball?
Speaker 2: I watch it later on I get to go to the beach and do all the earthly things, and then I come back and be.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, how is it living in Hawaii? Bro? I love it, man, It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: It's super It's a I think while I was playing in an NFL made a lot of sense to like, you know how the season is kind of hectic and it's just like reboot. Yeah, it's like a reboot. And then sometimes you go back, you like how did you even do that? Like how did you even like like it felt like just like a whirl when when you think about it, like you really just getting up to get beat up again and then to get meat up again and again, like you go back, You're like that was kind of amazing, like for us to like go through all that, but like being Hawaii after the season would always be grounding with my family and like and then like living there just made a lot of sense after I just stayed there really because it's just a beautiful place. It's beautiful people. People are really nice to everybody, you know. It's very family oriented type of place.
Speaker 1: So the Hawaiian culture is so fascinating to me. I grew up in the Bay, so we grew up around a lot of Pacific islanders like Tongue and Samoa and Hawaiian. I went to Samatos so there was always the Hawaiians that came over, and like, I never got to experience it until about two years ago. That was the first time I ever went to Hawaii and I was like, man, people are so nice. Their culture they are They're very traditional with a lot of like their old old like hundreds and thousands of year generation like culture traditions are still intact and stuff, and they're they're warm people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are like.
Speaker 1: The most loving, coolest people. Don't know, if they're on a different football team, they'll rip your head off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if if you're there, boy, they love you.
Speaker 2: They love you.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: That's all luck about it too. It's like it's always that thing that's always really complicated when it comes to culture. Because how do you take culture and also fast forward to make it modern? And I think sometimes, like you find ways of Hawaii does a good job of it being able to play homage to the past but also living the present and kind of talk about the future what the island will kind of feel like. So I think when you think about the politics of all that, it's super hard to keep a culture in tact over years and years and years and generations, right, And I think that's what makes Why really cool because they do that, you know, and all the little things and nature, the trees and learning certain Hawaiian words, similar to the New Zealand. New Zealand's like that too. When you go to New Zealand, it's kind of like the Mari culture and like they kind of keep it in Morocco too, Like you in Morocco and you're like, well, I guess a lot of good places that really have culture like that. You know, you think about it, like the Moroccan Tito. I used to love Moroccan Tito. I realized it was just sugar. I was like, God, damn, three cubes of sugar for one.
Speaker 1: I never had it.
Speaker 2: Shirt tea.
Speaker 1: That's a lot like sweet tea.
Speaker 2: It's beyond sweet tea. It's beyond sweet tea.
Speaker 1: It is roc and Tea. We're gonna check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the guy smiles at you, You're like, whoa, he has no teeth.
Speaker 1: It's probably because more sugar.
Speaker 2: You're like, nah, no, end up like that. No, I'm good, I'm good. Now.
Speaker 1: You were undrafted? What was it like getting your break into the league?
Speaker 2: Man? That was super hard though, because it's like being undrafted. It's just like it's the hardest thing because you it's like you get the last rep. It's like everybody eating, they'd be like, what's left over? You'd be like, damn, there a little crumbs there. Yeah, like y'all just left the tail of the chicken wing. So it's like it was just really complicated because it's one of those things where you have to like really go as hard as you can every single practice. Every single practice is a championship game for you, every single moment, to the point where people have to tell you to slow down. You know what I'm saying, Like, Nah, I've seen rookies in there and they kind of like, you know, real real Lackaday's a cool and like real cool. You know back then it was like nah, I was like you had to get it, get it how you live, and it was like out the mud. So like being un drafted, it just had to switch my mindset to realize that every single moment counted, every single play would count, every tugicle thing that I would studying, like, it couldn't be one of those things where I would, you know, go into the game not being fully prepared. It was like man at practice, I had to watch film and I think that made me a better player as I got older, because it was like I took those save my ideas and it just became a part of my identity. Is Yeah, so that's really what really what it comes down to and drafted is just you have to make your mind up to like or being even you know, being a six or seven round is pretty much the same thing.
Speaker 1: I was right there with you.
Speaker 2: You got a bigger bonus, but you don't have the opportunities are the same, you know, like the.
Speaker 1: Opportunity of the same, and it's almost worse to go in the six or seventh because you're locked down for four years. Yeah, when you're a free agent, you only have two Yeah, that's true. So like it's cool to get a forty nine thousand dollars check, which whatever it's it was a lot of money to me at that time. Yeah, but it's the same.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a vacation for some people.
Speaker 1: I thought I was rich after that.
Speaker 2: I did too. I did.
Speaker 1: I got forty nine racks. Did spend a dollar of it. I said, I'm keeping this in a bank account.
Speaker 2: And you feel like a different person.
Speaker 1: Like a different person.
Speaker 2: But I think that's the really challenging part of the game. But I kind of I missed that old NFL. I mean I don't miss the concussions that everybody got, but I do miss like the like the practices and like the mount of contact, like you know, just out there just really playing.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's we all, anyone who played that game. We all have a little something missing. Yeah, and you know the crave contact. You know, that's I used to. I mean that's something you always miss, just competing against another guy. We're at your best and he's at his best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't shot away from that. I remember like going against like Walter Jones and like my hip still heard from Walter Jones and he pushed me my hip board time, so damn walk but wat was a Hall of Famer. But it was so good to go up against Walt and like learn or like been in my first years in Tampa where he had like Jeremy truebla Devin called Knicks, you know, Donald Penn, you know Jeremy Zutah, like that was the offensive line. So like every single day in practice, I was like, man, I was like, I'm going to get my reps because it made me such a better player, Like going against Carl Nicks. Car Nicks was like the best guard. If he never would have had a toe surgery, he would have been the first battle of Hall of Famer and like, so like going against those guys every single day would just make me a better player. But I joyed that you had guys that would like hide against the best players. I don't want to go against.
Speaker 1: Carl, you know, I want to you know what I mean, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: They want to look good. But like even a loss against Carl was like almost a win, you know, because when you start winning, you like I'm ready, you know what I mean, I'm ready, Like Jeff Fane and all those guys, Like it was kind of like dope to go against those guys when I was there.
Speaker 1: That's the battle within the battle, like what he's talking about right now. The wins in practice, you count those. When you're a late round guy or you're an undrafted guy, you count every play you had, was it a win or was it a loss? Because that's exactly what the goddamn coaches are doing. So it was like it's life or death. It literally is like life or death every freaking rep you got in, Like you have to control your emotion because you didn't know there's only three reps every week. Maybe then you might.
Speaker 2: Get and similar to you, I had to do the same thing where it was like I had to learn more skills, you know what I'm saying. Like, so I had to learn how to play inside. I had to learn how to play nose. I had to learn how to play whatever they wanted me to play, the versatility. So I was actually thankful for that because they gave me a longer career, right because you have to learn how to do all those things. You have to be a good blocker, Like you can't be there, you know what I'm saying. You can't come in and be like I'm not gonna be good on blocking. I'm gonna be good only on slant routes, you know what I'm saying. And it's like you have to learn all those skills to become a better player. And I think that was something that really helped me kind of grow as an NFL talent.
Speaker 1: When was the moment you felt like you made it? Like, when did you feel comfortable? Because I know the first few years. I lived that for five years, right, I thought I was getting cut every year.
Speaker 2: I thought I was getting cut every year too. I feel like the first time I actually felt like second year, second year Seattle. I feel like every year before that, I just had like maniacs man attitude, like man, I'm getting cut, you know what I'm saying. Even though I was out there starting like I was a first round tender, like you know what I'm saying, Like I was still like making plays, but I still was always like, man, I was undrafted, why would they know?
Speaker 1: Wh would they keep me in security?
Speaker 2: And then also they also have they also drafted people every year every and you beat them out every year. You know what I'm saying. You like, dang, It's like I guess like when I got to Seattle. I feel like I kind of belonged a little bit. I feel like that was the first time I like my time in Tempa was really good because I feel like if my defensive line would have stayed together and didn't get health, did get hurt like Gerald and Adrian Claiborne, and we stayed together for longer, we probably would have did what we were supposed to do. Because we had a really good team in Tampa, Like we had a key to leave. We had Keller Winslow before you know, yeah it King's the best teammate. King was the best team man nice and neat. We had a lot of good people on that team and we and so, but we didn't we didn't win. But being in Seattle was like there was like a lot of like minded people. When I got there, I was like, man, like, it's camp. Like the team. It was like we're just jail. Like we all had to say mattitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was apparent we'll dive in more of the team. But let's get let's get into this segment. We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 8: Hey hey, hey, it's Rob Gronkowski here and I'm with my bro or my dude, Jules.
Speaker 1: And we are super excited to tell you about our new show, Dudes on Dudes.
Speaker 3: We're just regular dudes as well.
Speaker 8: Sometimes we can't read, sometimes we can't speak properly, but.
Speaker 2: That's what dudes do.
Speaker 1: But Dudes on Dudes, seriously, who named this?
Speaker 8: Anyways, we're spilling all the behind scenes stories, crazy details, and honestly just having a blast talking football.
Speaker 1: Every week, we're discussing our favorite players of all times, from legends to our buddies to current stars.
Speaker 8: And the best part, we're finally answering the age old question what kind of dudes are these dudes?
Speaker 1: Is Travis Kelce a stud or a freak? Is Tom Brady a dog or dude's dude? We're gonna find out every episode drops every Thursday during the NFL season. Those are some good questions right there, Julian.
Speaker 8: We're gonna find out soon and watch us on YouTube, listen wherever you listen to podcasts, and of course, follow us all over social media.
Speaker 1: So hit that subscribe button, follow us everywhere and join the dude party. You don't want to miss this. Dudes on Dudes, Let's go whoa this segment we go back in time when the game took place. This game took place January eighteenth, twenty fifteen. Always messes up because it was a twenty fourteen season, but it's a playoff game, so it's in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Number one movie American Sniper. Did you ever see it?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: That was a good one. Sad at the.
Speaker 2: End, sad at the end. I wasn't expecting that. I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone was that. It was badass though, Yeah, but how badass was the other guy too? Doing it like nikes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know. It's so crazy though, because everybody always giving me Sniper. People always give this snipers the credit, but I always think that they the spotter is the most deailiest person.
Speaker 1: Because he could see us.
Speaker 2: No, because the Spider really talks another guy into killing somebody.
Speaker 1: The spotter, who's your spotterer guy?
Speaker 2: That should be just understanding. I understand. The spider guy's like, hey, he's right there on the forty five. If you want to pull the trigger now, you can, or you can do it at thirty two degrees to the left and you blow his brains out this way. It'll be a lot of blood on the ground. But you know, like, hey, no blood on my hands. I didn't pull the trigger. Like, the spider is pretty dangerous if you think about it.
Speaker 1: He's just he's just calling he's just calling the shots.
Speaker 2: The shots.
Speaker 3: Literally, Jack's your spider.
Speaker 2: I got you. Bro went a little bit of it. Let him fly Man.
Speaker 1: That movie was crazy. The number one song was up Town Funk by Bruto Mars featuring Mark Ronson, Ronson Ronson.
Speaker 2: That was that was a good song.
Speaker 1: Though he was like all over this the Grammys this year.
Speaker 2: And this was the year, but this was the year for the music year.
Speaker 1: That was a fun year. Went to I went to the I remember him performing and I think he performed it at that huh.
Speaker 3: Him and Malcolm macol reason.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, damn that hurt more now, Sorry, Bro, dudes, run the ball. No but true Detective. I love that show. My god, was this the best one? Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite season?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Third one is not bad but bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was not bad. The first one was the best because it was more that far. Yeah. The last one was not bad, but it kind of like they like almost made it too spooky for still watching. Yeah, it wasn't bad, but to get in there. Matthew McConaughey, what you hear? So that's how anytime those two people are anywhere that sounds like a good time, it's gonna be there. Matthew McConaughey, Oh, y'all be there. You know, Like that's that.
Speaker 1: Makes you want to think they're brothers.
Speaker 4: Really, there's like a lyric, there's there's lore that they're brothers.
Speaker 9: If you look at it dad happening around there that they conferred that maybe there's some stuff going on.
Speaker 1: I think they could be brothers.
Speaker 2: Wow. You ever see wood in Hawaii? No? Oh, okay, that's right now with my bad.
Speaker 1: So this was also when this when this movie came out or this show, This was like the first big show where like movie actors I felt were going in doing the HBO shows that were like movie actors. I'm like, what they're doing a TV show? Yeah, I don't remember any other time before this where you saw that.
Speaker 9: It's not the first, but it's definitely early. It was early won Oscar and Emmy same year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the Carrie Oh yeah, like his camera angles that one scene where they went into the trap house and it was like running through in that camera was like on his back and it was like that. It was like he was catching everything that was happening and then like it was like fast forward and time forward.
Speaker 1: It was just like very incredible integrity the art.
Speaker 2: The art is crazy, bro, Like you think about.
Speaker 1: The integrity of the art, I'm gonna write a book about your integrity of the art. Post below drops White Iverson on SoundCloud. That was a pregame that.
Speaker 2: Changed white America. That changed white America. That was like that was like postmark, but he changed though, Like now he's like it's like at old country.
Speaker 1: Music, the country He's hit a whole lot of different race.
Speaker 2: He has no tattoos right there. He like literally like crazy crazy, like he's like he's a country music but White ivers Son he changed. That changed white America. Eminem no eminem. It was like a different type of white America. He was still like dirty shoes white America. Like this is like clean air force ones like throw a little chain on, Like yeah, that was like that was like now it's cool.
Speaker 1: He changed it.
Speaker 2: He changed it, man, shout out post.
Speaker 1: It was on your pregame mix, pregame mix, Little Boosy, Little Boosy, Yeah, that's it, little Boosy jay z Rick Ross.
Speaker 2: That makes me laugh though, because like White America, like you be in the stadium they be playing those songs and you just be like, I don't think they know what that actually means. Like like I remember like being in Texas A and M and they would be playing Rick Ross Push It to the Limit. I'd be like, do y'all know he's talking about cocaine right now? You know? Like it's like push it to that limit? And then like this is yeah, they like they're playing this and their kids go home like, Dad, didn't you hear about this? Push It to the limit. They're like like what is this like? But it's so funny because they played in the stadium and the music be so like they don't get the content in it. Yeah, Like or maybe they do. Maybe maybe I'm the fool man that could be that too. Maybe they did. Shake Shack goes public. I wish I could have invested in that.
Speaker 1: Are you a Shakeshack guy?
Speaker 2: I like Shakeshack, but I wish I would have been a more important moment if I would have actually put some money into it.
Speaker 1: Did you have an opportunity.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm saying. That would have been all the time. I's like Tom Brady is the only person that gets those opportunities. I mean, he's always in the right rooms the other death and he has six million dollars for watches for so I was like, damn tem Berter, you got six million dollars. It's just the ones you're selling, you know, That's what I was thinking in my head.
Speaker 1: I mean at this point in his career, he already had three Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was in the meeting when they were like we got to stay called shakeshack.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I mean he probably been in a lot of them rooms. Yeah, He's also been in some rooms where those investments didn't go well.
Speaker 2: The insider trading didn't they off. I forgot about that, But that sound like a good idea though, Like it's sound like a good idea when he first did it, probably.
Speaker 1: It's like are you are you a burger guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love burgers. Like if my wife gets mad at me sometimes when I go out the country and I'm just like trying to find the best burger and god damn China or some shit, you know, She's like, they're not gonna have it, Michael, but I keep trying.
Speaker 1: Though Japan probably hasn't seen burgers, Japan.
Speaker 2: Does have some good burgers. They do. I think they had the overall, Yeah they did. I didn't like the burgers and London is okay. But they gotta they can't have this rule that they got to cut ground beef all the way to the could end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can't have you Like, what do you like your burger? Medium?
Speaker 2: Medium plus?
Speaker 1: I like medium plus. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, medium plus.
Speaker 1: I just wanted a little.
Speaker 2: Pink and then I and I'll leave a steak place. If they'll know what medium plus is, I just get up and leave. It's not a steak place. Guys, I know what medium plus is. Bring up the bring off the guy in the bag.
Speaker 1: It's not medium. Well, but it's not me.
Speaker 2: I gotta pull up on the phone. There is a medium plus. He's right here, just right here on the steak chart on Pinterest. You know, like, well, you gots you gotta go off on them like that, like because they don't.
Speaker 1: In the sports World twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, Aaron Rodgers was the MVP boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in this game he was, he was in this game he lost.
Speaker 1: He hit you guys with one of those Cadence touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did. He always does that. It didn't worked though last week though they.
Speaker 1: Got to coach coaches. Not there no more for a say something about.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. I don't know, man, I don't know, I don't know. I feel like he said something. He tried to make us feel like, you know what I'm saying, like, definitely something. I believe that that thing doesn't happen without Aaron Rodgers having a little part and make a decision on that, right, you know what I'm saying, like or that that is something people have been thinking about. But to be fair, to run the Jets, but roberta Robert Solla, like, I mean, they took the quarterback from what's his name? I forget think he's he's out the league right now. I didn't like him anyway.
Speaker 1: Didn't like Wilson.
Speaker 2: I didn't like his haircut. It was something about his haircut.
Speaker 1: He's yeah, he's pretty.
Speaker 2: He was a baby of the post malone era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's definitely that post malone.
Speaker 2: Baby killed him. He should have been a baby of Like.
Speaker 1: He's Mormon too, right, Zach Wilson, Yeah, I think he's Mormon.
Speaker 2: That was that was the beginning of the end right there. Like they just could never get the quarterback situation right, and they thought going with Watch mccallay, with Aaron Rodgers. They wanted the big name so bad. But it's like there's been so many great quarterbacks that they missed out on. Lamar Jackson. God damn, you know, it's just CJ. Straw like like you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, Like Sam Donald's in the room, he's killing it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got dropped about him too. Yeah, they missed, but they missed. But to be fair to Sam Donald, like it's unfair to put certain quarterbacks in certain situations without the proper office on line and then also with the proper person development, like you got developed, like like lucky to say, Donald, he's into a situation where he's probably primed to be where he needs to be to make the next situation. I mean, you look at some of these other quarterbacks that maybe had one good year and then after that they don't they don't turn out to be any good. It's like sometimes the preparation as a quarterback allows you to develop a lot better and understand the game a lot faster. Like you know, like they can't make the right throws. The NFL is getting a lot faster. They're paying a quarterback so much that they don't even pay the office line. You're lucky if you have a good office lineman. Now as a high paid quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cap keeps on going up so and and now they're just they're given a percentage of the cap to the quarterback. Yeah, now it's different, you know what I mean? Now, what are they getting like twenty percent of the cap?
Speaker 2: You know at the beginning of the year when they bring that ANFLPA and they did a little cap chart you remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they show like what teams had.
Speaker 2: What's this percentage of your team on a dispendage, And it's always like.
Speaker 5: Wow, like but you know when you look at that percentage and like this this is the PA used to come in roughly every year at the same time to give us the information that wasn't associated with the team.
Speaker 1: So we'd have a players Association meeting with the PA leadership that would come into the facility that would nothing to do with the team and they would show us all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they show us the chart off where a team is spending the money. And like whenever you saw like the defensive office on line is one of the highest pay you like, the team is probably good, you know what I'm saying, Like like the yeah, if the team had like like damn office line, like you like, they're a pretty good thirty team, you know what I mean. And like usually you can only do that when you have a good young quarterback like a Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: About Patrick Mahomes and and that line they got Tony who's one of the highest paid exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Patrick Mahomes at this point, like what does money even mean to him? Like there's at the end of this thing, he'll be the first player probably to ever reach a billion dollars through just purely sports in football for real, He's going to He's the best player that we've seen come out the draft and the only player to I would say that Lamar Jackson is the best athlete we've seen in many years. But the best player I would say is by far Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: I mean it's not even close to anymore.
Speaker 2: And hey, the game.
Speaker 1: He does, but he's also tapered his game and he's become a disciplined football player, where early in his career he was all about hero ball. It's been way more impressive these last three years, last two years where he's reinvented himself and had the discipline to take what the defense gives him, play to the strength of his team, which is the defense, and not make the mistakes which he's made interceptions this year. But he's still put his team in situation is to always win like Patrick Mahomes, which Lamar doesn't do. Anytime it is a third down and the team needs it, whether it's four minute when they need to seal the game or they need to get the drive going to continue the game, he makes that play. And that's what the greats do. Right now, Lamar hasn't done it. Blitz zero has killed them. I'm in the TV, I'm watching the film as of late the Lamar like he can't. He hasn't. That's why he hasn't won super Bowls yet. The only guy who does it at consistent rate all the time is fucking Patrick.
Speaker 2: But also to be fair to Lamar Lamar Jackson, is that every single play call that's being designed with Andy Reid at the helm.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: They play there's always a check down receiver coming out. There's always a way for him to get rid of the ball and sometimes with sometimes with Lamar Jackson on a third. Yeah, you think about the blitz zero is like those those those coming like they're his receivers. Like I mean, I think them.
Speaker 1: Actually last two seasons have come down to blitz zero.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. And like sometimes the receivers aren't really well versed in the game.
Speaker 1: Let's get a freaking playing coach like when when in two thousand and four, in two thousand.
Speaker 2: But Derek Henry's changing that because Dereck Henry gets in the opportunity to do less plays.
Speaker 1: I'm not worried right now. I'm not like right now, it's regular season, and I think.
Speaker 2: They never had Derek Henry. I think Derek Henry in the playoffs. As you see, the NFL's get to a place where I saw some players against the Broncos, not the Broncos, the Buffalo Bills that I for sure saw people not tackle, not tackle bus decisions they were they were life decisions.
Speaker 1: And it's not even cold yet it's not even cold out.
Speaker 2: They did not want to.
Speaker 1: Tapen until it gets and you have to tack.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm saying. I think, what with Henry, the game is going to change for the Ravens and a player, but.
Speaker 1: Their defense isn't what it was. But I think it's a struggle bus right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the first two games, the first two games, they didn't get a ball to Derek Ry. They didn't know how to use him. Then they then they that third like well he is Derek Henry, and then they just started like pounding it and pounding it like in the playoffs in December. I need to see Derek Henry with thirty plus carries every game.
Speaker 1: But maybe they didn't do it at first so they could taper off the carries for the older fella.
Speaker 2: No, he's the way he eats and the way he's doing He's a different type of athlete.
Speaker 1: But I think, who's the craziest athlete you ever saw in the locker room that You're like, this dude's a specimen Like.
Speaker 2: Is Percy Harvin?
Speaker 1: Percy Harvin pound for pound spect.
Speaker 2: Specimen man like that guy, Percy Harvey. Like people forget about person.
Speaker 1: He was a month touchdown back in the Super Bowl with you guys.
Speaker 2: Percy Harvin was like one of the best athletes I've ever seen. You know Josh Freeman too. Josh Freeman was a crazy athlete too.
Speaker 1: Hernandez used to tell me that Percy Harvin was the best athlete he ever seen. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 2: The TV show is very interesting.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched it. I see the clips.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's really true or not, but I'm like, I don't know, ex acting not acting rocks Man, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Man dunking the ball in the goalpost became a fifteen yard unsportsman like penn Old. Is that Jimmy Graham rule, the Jimmy Gramble. I think he did it once and it bent the bar and they had to postpone the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, not a lot of people can't even do that, you know what I'm saying. It's like a very rare feat that you could actually jump up there and dunk the ball. I mean on every team, there's probably like four guys that can actually do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I think a lot more guys can do.
Speaker 2: Like really get up there and do what Jimmy Graham was doing. That wasps like Gates could do it. That's yeah, a lot of guys could really go up there like really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I saw someone do it recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you saw a guy do it recently.
Speaker 1: Who was it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. You didn't say like everybody's doing it, like everybody can't didn't. Yeah, I can't do that.
Speaker 1: I used to do that in practice.
Speaker 2: I don't it. Billy Tonyo Brown was a crazy athlete, even though he didn't practice very much when it was the Patriots, well he did though. It was pretty amazing. Bro.
Speaker 1: Remember when he we didn't have a ball touch the ground when Antonio practice, we had the best week of Remember, Yeah, that practice was ever because he rose the level of everyone else.
Speaker 2: He was so good man, he was monsters. He really is a good player.
Speaker 1: He was man.
Speaker 10: He Tom tried everything to make sure we would want to super Bowl. Yeah, Tom, if you would have stayed, Tom tried everything. Tom was just like you know, just like just just just come on.
Speaker 2: Man, I'll drive you to work, you know what I mean, Like didn't a place to live, Like what do you need? Like you want to you want my trainer? You want my food. You want to like if this just come to work and do what you're supposed to do, Like like Tom Knew, like he would literally try to get him to like that guy loves the win.
Speaker 1: Win man, but man winning on that sack dance? What is this the Rick Rude?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I think everybody grew up being a WWE fan. I mean I know w but you can't even say anything because like you can't even like anybody because like if you like somebody, like you like them and you posting that you liked him, like two years later, like people can go back and look at your post and then the guy turns out to be like a killer or like might be diddious, you know what I'm saying, Like could be anything. Like then all of a sudden, you're like, yeah, I gotta knock my post down. So like even with Vincent, man, it's like.
Speaker 1: Damn Vince, I haven't seen that one either.
Speaker 2: I just I just read some of the stuff. I'm like you did what? Like who does that? But anyway, I love w W, like you know, Rick Rud and all those guys growing up or something.
Speaker 1: We're like, so, did you you ever get fined for a dance.
Speaker 2: They told me I could only do two pumps. Two pumps and I know three day was like that, that's too much.
Speaker 1: He stop it.
Speaker 2: Three girations is too much. He always knew that.
Speaker 1: The I don't even want to say his name, but there's a ref that was always a little stickler with all that ship. I don't want to say his name, but he knows who he is looking at you, Cleat Blake, Scott Novac, Fucking Scott Novac. Look, he looked like a principal out there just trying to hold court. Always didn't even let you jive with him.
Speaker 2: And the Chris part about referees, they all have like good jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you like what are you like, They're all like lawyers and what do you do?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, yeah, I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 10: Like how do you have time.
Speaker 2: To do this?
Speaker 1: Like there's a couple of former players now though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm just saying it's kind of crazy though, Like when you think about those guys and you talk to them and you're like.
Speaker 1: Well, they're not full time. I mean you would think that the league would make them full time.
Speaker 2: They all have.
Speaker 9: Guns now too. It's like an arms race to get like bigger biceps. You know, they're all going on hockey. That was old hockey.
Speaker 1: He was the first one getting all jacked and now his little son's getting all jacked.
Speaker 2: You got to get jacked up out.
Speaker 1: They don't want to be getting tossed around out there to fight.
Speaker 2: And but you can't really talk to the NFL referees like that. But NBA you could say whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Let it fly, baby, those guys dig Bevetta take it all, Jackie.
Speaker 1: Let's set the stage for the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I got my caught up on Scott Novak's LinkedIn page over here.
Speaker 1: University.
Speaker 2: He went to University of Phoenix.
Speaker 4: University of Phoenix, according to this he did. Who knows, people don't let's not put his name out there in allural craft.
Speaker 1: You lug into university.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's move into the Packers here. Twelve and four. This was Mike McCarthy's ninth year. Uh we know he's down in Dallas now. This was the dom Capers led defense, undefeated at Lambeau, tied for the league best record twelve and four with the Seattle Seahawks this season, won the NFC North four years running, led the league in scoring four hundred eighty six points.
Speaker 2: That's Rogers, Eddie Lacy.
Speaker 4: James Starks, DeVante Adams, Rookie year Daddy mac Daddy James Starks shout out Buffalo College from Niagara Falls.
Speaker 1: Ye crazy, uh.
Speaker 4: Jordy Nelson speaking of fines, he's a uh.
Speaker 2: He's one of the officers.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, he's one of the fine guys. Who is your fine guy? Remember Marton Hanks used to be one.
Speaker 2: Of the guys. Those five people they get paid pretty good money. Man, Oh do they really? Yeah? They I got so mad.
Speaker 1: I used to love Merchant.
Speaker 2: Can I get that job?
Speaker 3: What's the fine guy? I have no idea.
Speaker 1: So, like when you get fined for like on four like conduct Or, I threw the ball in the fit the stands once got fined for that. You gotta have like a little hearing. So the NFL sets you up with some guy or former player. So it's like friendly fire type shit. You're over here trying to buddy him up. Like I was talking to Martin, like, yo, you know, you're such my favorite guy. When I was a kid with the neck thing and everything, didn't even do anything. Slap me with the fine, didn't even reduce it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on, no, that's how I go.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: It's like you're imprisoning and like they got the prisoner's judging if you're gonna get out or not. But he's like, I ain't never got out, so you're standing.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: I was just that's that's crazy, exactly. That's crazy. Now they make pretty good bread though.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And uh we talked about this guy earlier, but they added Julius Peppers in the offseason to bolster that defense.
Speaker 2: What a legend Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: What was your thoughts on this Packers team going into this guys were already fun fact.
Speaker 2: You know Tom Clemens's wife is Kathay Clemens and they do clemons on Yeah, fun fat But Don Caper is that defense. I think that was one of the best defenses. That they weren't like a super physical defense compared to like the forty nine ers, but they were strong and fast. I think people forget about Clay Matthews. I think Clay Matthews should be a Hall of Famer, and he was. He was out there. Juwis Pepper's on both sides. Nick Perry was coming off the off of it then you got a j Hawk like that team was, you know, and people forget it. I've been knowing Jordan Nelson because he went to Kansas State and I went to Texas and m so we alway played against them. He was one of the best receivers. He just kind of and he just kind of disappeared.
Speaker 1: One year.
Speaker 2: He was like super good one year, the next year he was gone. Yeah. Then like Randall Cobb and Eddie Lacy, you know, speaking of Derek Harvey, like nobody want to tackle Lace at that time.
Speaker 1: He quick this game, he was fast, he was strong.
Speaker 2: They had that play that they they had the office lineman kind of spread out a little bit. Then they would kind of do an a gap run and they kind of do a little stretch with him with John Coon. Then they had James Starks, who was a really good running back. Then they had old good old Matt Flynn, you know, and then like the offensive line was really good too, right because they had uh, look like t J. Lane, like you know, Josh Sitting. I had to go get them lame all those guys. Although that are really great office in line. You know, they didn't really give up that many sacks that year. And they were just a really over good, good, good team. I think that was one of the better teams that played. Obviously, they had like a stacked team, and the kicker, Mason Crosby, didn't really mix that many kicks or whatever.
Speaker 1: Then we're still kicking somewhere right, Mason.
Speaker 2: Didn't like defensive line, you know, that was pretty good. That was probably the defensive line is probably the least known people on that team, like Mike Neil from Purdue, Mike Panel, Dante Jones from u c l A, like all those guys. Like those guys, Mike Daniels was pretty good player, went to Pro Bowl I think the next year. Overall, that was a pretty good, strong team.
Speaker 1: You know, the twelve four really damn good. Aaron VP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you got Randall Cobb. Like people forget how great Randall Cob.
Speaker 1: It was really good. He was young. This is a young Randall Cobb.
Speaker 2: And Julius Peppers can't even came and said enoughing about Julius Peppers.
Speaker 1: The freaky.
Speaker 2: And then a J Hawk was really good too, man, A J Hawk was cold National champion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then like Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 2: Look at the stats. You know your two receivers over a thousand yards to almost over thirteen hundred. You know what I'm saying, you know, fifteen hundred, twelve hundred. Davonte Adams was a baby receiver at that time, but he was learning from all the dogs. You know what I'm saying, Like thirty eight touchdowns, no five interceptions. Man, I think Russell Wilson through five interceptions in that game, you know what I'm saying. Like Eddie Lacey was you know that? So that team was really good team. That was a really fun team to play against because they had so many stacked players and they were just really a great overall was Charles Wilson wasn't on that team. He wasn't on that team? What was it?
Speaker 1: Like Shak and Aaron who was always fun.
Speaker 2: But Aaron is like a really like competitive person too. So like if you make a good player, he'd be like, good job, you know what I mean, or like something like like he'd be mad, but he'd be like you're a good player or something like you know what I mean, Like you.
Speaker 11: Don't get yeah, But I think Aaron Rogers is a hard person to like though, you know, because it's like Tom Brady is a lot easier person to like, you know, I feel like there's like those people that are like they're just like, man, this, I don't know what is a bottom?
Speaker 1: How is Tom? How is Tom compared to when you didn't play with him, from when you met him?
Speaker 2: Man, I feel like Tom is also like a great student of the game because like he knows like if you're a good player like Neil, not if you're a bad player, but if you're a good player, Tom can repeat to you or like certain things that you did in the game or how you do it. Like he's a very respectable player. You He is the type of player that you don't have to have pro bos for Tom Brady to respect you. You just have to be a good player, like a player that did something great for the team that were influential to the way that that team played, like how you were a nucleus. Like there's some people who get a lot of pro bos, like you know what I'm saying, Like the Patriots, like y'all have a lot of good receivers, but sometimes y'all didn't get the pro bos that you'll deserve, you know what I'm saying. You know Wes Walker did, but like other people didn't you know, get those ones, but y'all did have great people on y'all team and people who are in the league with respect the players that y'all had, you know, maybe didn't show up and all of the you know, oh that's the guy. But then you're like, man like Julian like that he tough, but you gotta respect him, like you know, like Eve when we played y'all, it was like, oh, yeah, Julian Ellman, like, yeah, that's that's one of the guys that like, yeah, he's like, y'all all gonna have respect for him at the end, because doesn't matter the player of the game or how is you respect the way that he plays the game. He gets up from the hits, he does whatever. Team like people, you know what I'm saying, Like you might not know it because you're in another locker room, but they show you and they're like, this is how you're supposed to play the game. So this guy's blocking right here, this guy's giving up from the field, like they point out those type of things and the players know, you know what I'm saying. The fans may not know.
Speaker 1: And Brady Brady did that with guys. Yeah you can tell that, Yeah, he's a fan of the game.
Speaker 2: He's a fan of the game. Bell Check is too though. I even think that Belichick a draft take a guy to just I don't know belichickif we just want to know what the guy's thinking, you know what I'm saying, Like he's like a really like so what do you think about this? You know what I mean? Like he like Belichick just respects the players too. Like certain guys, he just respects us in the league. And he always they always always end up there, but they don't, you know what I'm saying, Like there's a place where sometimes good players go to die, you know. But but overall, but it's like he you, he respects the way that you play a game. He probably wants to know how you play.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about all the narrative of how Bill is portrayed to players? You Like, you're you're saying something completely opposite of basically what everything is been coming out about, Like, oh, the TV shows, the this, the that they're all saying, this guy, you can't work for him. What was your experience being an out?
Speaker 2: I just didn't like I just didn't like it there. That was the only thing I like overall, I just felt like I didn't fit into the situation. I just I feel like I just it was completely different. It's like it's like I just came from like like a very free spirited place, like like like all like having to wear knee braces at practice. I'm like, I ain't never do nothing like that, you know what I'm saying, Like like it's just stuff that like like even like I had I was like playing for Bill Belichick, like you know, going to the meetings and doing everything. I ain't like my position coach because he didn't know nothing about defense, you know what I'm saying, like defensive ends or nothing like that. You know. So, But overall, my experience with the Patriots was a good experience. Like I said, I just wasn't used to like living in the country and all that type of shit, like people don't know, man, like playing for New England, bro, Like you like through y'all lived in Boston, but everything else around New England is like, oh my god, where am I? Like I never ain't nowhere to eat. I'm just like this, I'm like where am I? But I don't know. I feel like I was in Pleasantville or something. Man, I was just like, bro, what.
Speaker 1: Made Pete Carroll more free spirited?
Speaker 2: Well, Pete, I just also people. I just like Pete didn't really like bother us that much about certain things, you know what I'm saying. It was just like you do your job, come to work. It was more like team type thing and like and every time I ever been on the defensive line was most like one of the most important parts of the team, the best. Yeah, so like whatever, it's like that. Like in New England, I feel like it's more about the secondary and the linebackers, you know what I'm saying, Like if you're a linebacker, like you outside linebacker, you got more opportunities than a front defensive lineman, like a three four defensive lineman. But I do think if I could have went to New England, like starting off, then I would would have been completely different. I think I would have like fitting way more because that would have been the system that I know, and I feel like with Bill Belichick and my skill set, I would have I could have been really good in that system. But where I was at, like just coming from Philly, like it was more like, well, lineup wide and just just go, just go, you know what, I'm saying there was never nothing about the plays. I like the plays that was called. Like, I just like, it's like the team. The teammates in New England, I were super great, you know, all the guys that were super fun they had hang out with. It was just always fun in the locker room. But I was just like the team was completely different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a different place to play.
Speaker 2: It's completely different. Reminds me of like a college town kind of like like we play at one o'clock and it's like very you know, Corn on the cop type ship, you know what, Like what's going on? Corn? The whole town shuts down. It's just like, but.
Speaker 1: Were the practices different? Because I felt like he practicedes hard.
Speaker 2: He did practice as hard in this situation, completely different because I also too didn't like like I got hurt in New England, like at the at the beginning of the training camp and like I broke my collarbone. So I basically was there and that's the part it was too. Why. I was also just like, man, like they want me to play three four and I can't even lift my fucking right arm, like it was my left arm. I'll be like, Okay, you know what I'm saying, But not my right arm, like it's the one that I actually need. The left one I could have did without, you know what I'm saying. I could have made it work. But it was like the right one, like my collar ball is still sticking out right there. Yeah, it was like it was just like it was just gone. You know, I couldn't lift my arm up there.
Speaker 1: Shoulders you can't. You can't catch and.
Speaker 2: Trying to hold up another lineman at three four, like.
Speaker 1: At twenty rounds, and that guy's a force. Like the shoulder. I remember, shoulders are always go with the big boys because they're sitting in there, locking in. There's so much goddamn pressure in between both three hundred and three hundred pounds or two whatever, like if a guy loses his shoulder, they were limemen were done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then I remember I didn't cuss the coach out, but I said something that was it sounded like I was cursing him out, but I didn't curse him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're loud.
Speaker 2: I said a curse word, but the way I said it, he took it the wrong way. But I remember Bill being calling me and he was like, hey, Michael Ken, have you doing that? Look, I want you to come in, but yeah, it's not it's just in a you're looking in the handbook pays three thirty eight point nine. You can't do that. I'm like, let me look at thirty eight point nine. Yeah, he says, they can't do that. I'm gonna have to find you and you're gonna have to stay home this week. See you on Monday, get some rest and be ready to go when you come back.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, Bill, that's not that's not how that's that's exactly.
Speaker 1: He brought out the number and everything. Yes, chapter six thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember when I came to New England. I was like, man, I was like, man, I want a couple more million or whatever. And then Bill was like, well tell me why you need more? And I was like this this this thing. He's like, Okay, let me think about it. You know what I'm saying. But he's literally like a type of person that if you give him like he's really a numbers person, you know what I mean. Like it really comes down to like what you're doing, how you doing it? Why are you coming through? Like any kind of like going into this office is like you know, you learn a lot even being at the Patriots meeting, like they never really like in Seattle, they never really called out like Rustle on certain things, but like you know, like but Bill will call tell him out on everything. How's a guy who's been the MVP four times, it's won the championship six times, throw this fucking route right here. It's like it's like you've seen it before. Tom. It was like you're just back there, like Dad, he's going off with Tom Brady right now.
Speaker 1: Let you know, everyone's own limits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I remember the first meeting in preseason and h o OTAs or something, and Bill came in there and he had like the little paper and he like dropped and it was like one of those things where it was like I think he was just sitting the stage to tell everybody, if you questioned me, shut the fuck up, but basically because he was like, here's my credentials. Basically it was like seven times, like it was just going down the rids, like twenty two, twenty years of winning the end of this like seventeen deep. You remember, it was like it was like all the stats of all the things and you were like it's like so I know what I'm talking about. I was like, yeah, he does. You're like that that's it right there, he right, he know. Hey, we listened to him. So like I had a good time there, but like I said, I just didn't fit into the defense at the time because it was kind of changing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love I love David in there because I was real close to Marty and you were kind of like a little Marty issue. Yeah, but I didn't get to see an everyday meeting. But I'd always jive with you in the locker room because we know he's you know, defense offense. We're kind of different teams. But Bill would address the team for fifty minutes forty five minutes every morning, the whole team, Yeah, which is probably different than anywhere you have been in either. Yeah, like he break down offense, defense, special teams in front of everyone, so everyone heard the lashings of everyone else. Yeah, just so like when you're walking down the hall.
Speaker 2: Everybody got it, you know what I'm saying. It was just like like, yeah, you knew, like that meeting there was really cool and so I enjoyed myself there that we were nine in one of the last ten games.
Speaker 1: Let's get down to the Seattle Sea Crazy.
Speaker 2: Let's get into these Seahawks twelve and four.
Speaker 4: Pete Carroll, dan Quinn led defense, Darryl Bevell coaching the offense. Is the fifth year of the Pete Carroll regime. We know about the league in the Boom they're looking to repeat. Started three and three and then it's like Michael said, finished nine and one. They were hot, beat Green Bay in the first game of the season.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: Uh, that will a little foreshadowing for this matchup year repeaters NFC West Champs. Let's get in on some of these guys, Russell Wilson, Beast Moode, Marshawn Lynch, Thug Bald, when Jermaine Curse, Chris Matthews who got hot around this time of the year. And then the defense, we know the defense maybe curse of course, Cliff Averroll, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irv and Bobby Wagner, kJ Right, Cam Chancellor. This was stacked Earl Thomas, Earl Tom.
Speaker 1: Now is the Legion of Boom just the secondary or is it the whole thing?
Speaker 2: I think it's the whole defense, But it depends on you asked right. I think the Legion of Boom kind of started with their before I got there, kind of, and I think it became a lot better once me and Cliff and te Matt got there. Yeah, but I think it was considered the whole defense I think, I mean depends that you asked, right. I mean, they do have a little offense a restaurant called Legions Sherman Cam. It's pretty good. They got gumba. I didn't like any place that got gumbo. Honestly, that's a sign for me to be like, yeah, that's rest.
Speaker 1: He's from Louisiana. Never had gumbo. You never had gumbo until I went to like Ohio, and.
Speaker 2: Like Ohio, that's not the place to get it, I know.
Speaker 1: But that like all our coaches are from the South, you know what I mean, So like anytime you go anywhere for the first I was a California kid, then you go anywhere else. All coaches are from the South. So like we always had like you know, the catering food would be like gumbo and barbecue, and I never really had it, never had grits. Before college. We're oatmeal. People went on the cap, you know. No, I would say the strength of the team, like when we were preparing for Seattle and the Super Bowl the next or a few weeks later. The next week, it was it all came down to the defensive line because they could get pressure with four guys, and then everyone else was on a string, and everyone did their responsibility, so damn good. But they did what you guys did what you do. You didn't change for really nobody, you know. That's kind of that was the thing about dan Quinn and his defenses. They do what they do. Everyone's gonna play on a string. They're gonna get pressure with four and so the legion, the boom to me has to be associated with the defense, defensive line, the front box has to be in there. Yeah, because it's such a you guys played such team defense and everyone swarmed. Everyone was super unselfish. If it was a screen like you watched the plays when I caught a screen or something, fucking Bennett would be there, the defensive lineman would be there. They would all swarm. Nothing was more. You'd always hear Bill would throw on a tape of Pete Carroll saying ball, everyone after the ball, or say.
Speaker 2: Shit like yeah, the ball, ball, all that matters is the ball.
Speaker 1: So like we knew going into him, that this defense they swarm, They're gonna get pressure with four and then the secondary they had, you know, shirm back there. Cam Earl Thomas was a fucking torpedo and like you guys just play. You guys were insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were super fast too, like fast swarm That's what it was like. Everybody was like everyone was fast. Everybody, Like I think the slowest person ran like a four to six. You know what I'm saying. Like yeah, like defense, so it was like a super fast defense. So everybody was like spreading the whole time and like and I just remember like being on that defense and like we would make so many plays and like on screen games, returns in general just had so many turnovers just because, like you said, we stayed to who we were regardless of who we were playing. Were like, look, we're gonna make them beat us.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you sum up this team? This is just grit again, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this team was there was a versatility and grit. I think there was a lot of versatility that season, just like people being moved in and out and just like we lost some good guys that prior season, like like brend and me Bank got hurt in it during the year, Like that kind of changed a little thing. But we also had Kevin Williams when she was a Hall of Famer and we was with the Vikings, so it's like we have some really really good guys. But yeah, I think Grit too. I think Grit was his team because we just lost. It came off the Super Bowl and the whole idea was like, how do you go back when you win a Super Bowl? You know, it's like it's a feeling, but it's not like it's just a day. You know what I'm saying it again, It's just like you wake up and do it. It's like it's now an eternal thing. It's like it's like you you happy for like ten minutes and then like they're trying to see who's going to win it. It's a business, you know.
Speaker 1: Like the highs aren't as high as you think they're going to be, but the lows are lower than what you think they're going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: You know, like because when you go out and win a Super Bowl, it becomes so much harder the next year that you have to work almost you have to work harder than you did the year before to maintain it to get there, and I never got I never went back to back, Like because you become America's most number one target. You're on that billboard. Anytime you play a team, they're circling you because you're a measuring stick. And it's just becomes so much harder. And then there's a whole year of film of what you're you were great at that teams are combating.
Speaker 2: So that's what makes Patrick Mahomes really great because it's like every year this guy's in the super Bowl, even if he doesn't win it, I'm like, he's back, you guys, you know, like that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Now, can you describe the atmosphere and Centuryle Like I played there once and it was so freaking loud, Like how do you guys get those people out?
Speaker 2: Man? Those people they're so crazy. Man, Like we you know, we couldn't play Future, but when we did, I'm joking, guys, a whole rumor, but like we would play like Rick Ross the Future, like that stadium when it's reigning, like it'll be rocking. It was just so loud. It was really hard for opposing offenses like to really.
Speaker 1: They lead the league in like offside's penalties by away teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me getting off the ball and there was just like it was just like super easy, like it was just like you always get that first step because it's just like you were just the stateium is so loud. The way that is also the way there's design too, Like it's kind of design like this, so the way that the noise and sonic bounce off of the Sorry, I'm just going tall, but the design kind.
Speaker 1: Of liked that it closes, it keeps.
Speaker 2: Sounding so like it becomes louder and it may not be unlike you know, like the Arrowhead with it pump in sound. You know they say they don't, but it's clearly pumping inside.
Speaker 1: Arrowhead or is it I thought it was Indy.
Speaker 2: I think both both. But I think you want to see that when you like are like when you're doing commentating and stuff, you see that behind the scenes stuff, so you see a lot of the I.
Speaker 1: Mean I heard Indy did no Airs just came out and said, no, what you're saying, We'd love to have you come on the podcast and combat it, but you know, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they do. In my opinion, I think they do maybe they don't though I think they do. But I know for us it was it was natural. It was no bbls.
Speaker 4: You know, when the crowd noise starts skipping, something's up when the track skips.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Brazilian butlers, what's up with the pads that you wore?
Speaker 2: I just I never really liked the shoulder pass thing. I feel like if I didn't have to wear them, I probably would.
Speaker 1: You barely. You didn't wear shoulders, I know, but the shells just shells. Basically you were shells. You didn't get a shoulder banged up. You have bad shoulders.
Speaker 2: Just the one time in New England doing goddamn Aggie drill, that drill we used to do the Oklahoma drill that they said it wasn't Oklahoma drill. You know That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: What is the blocking drill?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like this is a routine block drum. I'm like, no, this is this is Oklahoma drill, Like not supposed to be this type of contact right now?
Speaker 1: Did they call it like tould It wasn't Oklahoma, but it was. But Tulsa's place in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Do you know Tosa is a bad place for black people Black Wall Street. They not gonna name me after that, Like, but we did that and but no, I just always liked to be movement and I had my jersey a certain way, so I was it was really good with my hands, so it didn't really matter about the past that much.
Speaker 1: It's also better so the offensive line couldn't hold you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then when I used to hit people, it was like like I was good at tackle for loss. So I used to always hit the running back before he got the ball. Yeah, So it was like more tackles like quick. Yeah, it was really quick. I never really heard the like linebacker. Maybe if I was a linebacker it would be different. But since I was like and also too, I grew up loving the way that Justice Smith played the game. He always had like zero zero Justice Smith was one of my favorite players growing up. John Abraham, Oh see like all those guys, the people that I looked.
Speaker 1: Up to, Wow, I used to watch. I remember the same thing like when I when I became a receiver, you'd always want the smallest pads because I didn't want like when you'd rip and I'm trying to get under on a speed release, I didn't want him to get his shoulder pad or his hand on my shoulder pad. So the smaller surface here, it's better for you, it is. This is true, but it was a fine line because I get ta that had follow my shoulders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like it was.
Speaker 1: I would always I remember walking. I was like, is he wearing fucking shells out there?
Speaker 2: And my shoulder paths are super small. I enjoyed it, though. You know, everybody would be like, how did you even every game? And they'd be like, like, I don't care about to knock somebody out.
Speaker 3: When did that start?
Speaker 2: I started when I was in Tampa. I used to always cut my shoulder pass and the GM used to always be like, you can't do that. If you have to do that, this waiver did he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who was that Jr?
Speaker 2: No? No, it was uh Mark dominant dominant. Justic Smith was a dog. I don' understand why just Smith's not in the Hall of Fame yet.
Speaker 1: I forgot about him.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I was a Niners fan.
Speaker 2: But look, go back to that picture, man, look at this picture of America, like like this guy's like like it's bleeding on his head, Like you don't even see people bleed. No more like this in the NFL like like this is like that guy's really come out there to play football, like this new football stuff. Two fingers taped, take the round the hands now, guys got it? Like I don't know, man, it's like it's not the new Travis Scott's you know, like it's not hype Beast, you know, like you list is the one that Jay Z has on coys doesn't have any clatch Like that.
Speaker 1: Guy right there, like he looks like he eats cement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guy plays football. That's a guy that plays football.
Speaker 1: He eat that guy to Those are the guys that I.
Speaker 2: Grew up watching, you know, not everybody's doing oh that kind of stuff. That guy don't do that kind of stuff. No, he let the kind of guy if he slap you in back of your head, your neck might hurt, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he definitely looks like he will slap you in the back of the head.
Speaker 2: Bull ring. He extended bull ring too, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Probably so you could get a finger in there when someone's.
Speaker 2: Getting guy bleeding everywhere. Right now, man, come on, I'm just saying, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jackie, let's let's get into the game, all right, Let's get in a little lead up here. As we mentioned earlier's a rematch a week one. Seattle took that one thirty six sixteen. UH finished on a six game win streak. Green Bay, on the other hand, finished winning seven of their last eight. Seattle was the number one seed, got that first round by beat Carolina in the division round thirty one seventeen. Green Bay number two seed first run by also beat Dallas in the division round.
Speaker 4: That was a notable game. That was the des catch game. Remember that was to catch cat.
Speaker 2: I think it was a catch. I think you know what the.
Speaker 1: Catch is anymore, it's hard to find.
Speaker 2: I think that that was his that's his only time that that he's able to get to get to the super Bowl. I thought that.
Speaker 1: Was that was I feel like Jerry.
Speaker 2: I feel like Jerry Jones has done so much stuff that like God is like when you die, you win the super Bowl, but you can enjoy it up here with me. You won't get to enjoyed on earth because you enjoyed too much stuff on earth.
Speaker 1: He I mean, he got bots, got a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Because it doesn't make sense amount of money that they put into Dallas at this moment not to have won something. It's and that year was a great year. DeMarco Murray, Beast, Tony Romo, the office on line was stacked. Defense is pretty good.
Speaker 1: But is that the Romo flub snap game?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: That was that was next year.
Speaker 2: That was like, yeah, that's what that was in Seattle. That was crazy.
Speaker 4: But uh and then another way to Aaron Rodgers, the calf was a little banged up in this one.
Speaker 2: So uh need some building excuses coming into it.
Speaker 1: Now, how you how do you guys get hot? Would you guys change up? You guys just recalibrating focus after having a little Super Bowl hangover, a little.
Speaker 2: Hango right there. We just had a team meeting and it was like what we gonna do? Man?
Speaker 1: You know here now who leads that team meeting? Is it Russell Wilson?
Speaker 2: No? What Camp Tresco was like the more of the heart of the team. Yeah, like can you see that? Cam Treensl was like the guy that like he's not gonna say a lot of stuff, but like when you start to say stuff, because Earl Thomas doesn't really talk that much, you know what I'm saying, He's just kind of like more chilling with his One of his big roads raices outside, you know, really come to practice. Yeah, and then Cam is like the guy that's like he says something. He's kind of charm as a talker. But then Cam's like the enforcer, right, So Cam was the guy kind of like that pulled the team to get at that moment because he cares so much about the game. Like, I don't think people will realize how he didn't.
Speaker 1: Swear much, did he?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, I remember. I always tell a story about when the first block, I would always go in and block the force and I would lay the ham on him. I would fucking I was short. I wasn't small. I was still one hundred and eighty eight pounds. So I could go in and I could light a guy up to let him know the first play, we're gonna be here all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did that to fucking Cam Chancellor, and I got woozy. He like knocked me out damn near first play the game, and he felt like he was rooted like a tree.
Speaker 2: He's a big guy, man, I don't think he's just strong.
Speaker 1: He wasn't even looking at me. He just gave me an arm and I went in and try to give him helmet to helmet because that's what you do is blockers. You know, you want to give a little kiss. And he fucking lit me up and he knew I was a little jacked up. He says, it's gonna be a long day, young fella, or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's kind of a lone those things like like Cam new is the same way right right, Like people don't realize how big Cam Newton was. Him is huge. Yeah, Like there's some people that are just like genetic freaks, you know. And yeah, so you know, Cam came in here and we had the team meeting and kind of got it together, kind of bring everybody together because you're like, you know, people start fingerporn. Who's the success, who's not the success? No, we win because I mean now we winning because each other. It's a balance, like yeah, we're a great defense. But if they don't score points, I mean, I mean, we just need you to score like six points, you know what I'm saying, Like we can we can hold them to three, you know what I mean. Like but if like the whole point is that we needed to get them to come together and like with Earl, me with Cam and the defense coming together in offense, and just coom Bay. Yeah. And then Doug Baldman was a really good leader too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Doug was I always respected baldwin Man. I thought he was. He always made big plays when the team needed it. He always you know, like you guys, a black version of you he could be. He was tough, He blocked hard.
Speaker 2: He's a black version of you, is he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How is he? Is he the same size?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, by the same size.
Speaker 1: He was good, I'll take it. He scored some touchdowns and some Super Bowls now.
Speaker 2: But Doug, Doug is super a player, and he was tough and and he would like do the things like you said, like the block, and he respected every part of the game. He was a student of the game. And I think with Doug and Cam like coming in that kind of changed the whole thing, is like.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, and so when this game was so I remember specifically, I was getting ready for the game and they delayed our game because you guys went overtime. It's like, what the fuck is going on? It's national football, he's multi billion dollar corporation. What do we Why are we postponing a goddamn game?
Speaker 2: Oh? Because they want everybody to watch out the next one. If you want to watch this one. We're moving that one back. We own this ship.
Speaker 1: And so I go into the equipment room and it was right when the on site kick happened. I'm like, no fucking way, Like I didn't. I didn't realize until I started doing I mean, I remember back in the day. This is ten years ago now, but I didn't really I forgot how fucking crazy of a game this was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was crazy because.
Speaker 1: You guys had two goal line stops in the first quarter off of a pick and off of a what a kickoff return fumble? Yep, And like I'm sitting here like, how the fuck did this team win? And then we get back and we'll get into the game, but like I remember specifically, I'm sitting here like on site kick, Wow, there's no way there getting and you guys got it. And then that's right when we had to go out. And so it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Because I think we only gave a one touchdown.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, one touchdown. It was the the touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I jumped outside. But so we still won. But at the end of the day, that was a hard game because Russell threw so many interceptions. It was just like rus, come on, bro, like not three against this team. And that kind of happened the year. The next year we lost against y'all, but we had a kind of beat up season, but we still was able to like put it together. We beat the lines and then we went down to Carolina and that's when Carolina, that's when Kim New was at his this. We could have won that game too, but rustled through so many interceptions that game, and like it was just like, bro, like we can. God only gives us this every once in a while, you know, like do what you do with the thing, you know. But that game was just a challenging game because on defense, it was like we had to keep going stop. But like that was the first game that like when I was on defense that when they threw an interception, it wasn't people going like it was like all right, all right, like like let's go like like how we're gonna do this, Like it ain't gonna be us, you know what I'm saying, gonna be They're not gonna give up nothing on us today. So that's how we went out there every single time, was like look, were about to go out here and stop them, stop them again, stopped them again, Like you know, even in that that fourth quarter, like those stops that we made to get the ball back, those are a hard stop because they try to run the clock out, you know what I mean. That's the part that it's hard than two minutes a lot of times because it's like they got so that was a really hard game.
Speaker 1: Because what goes into a goal line stand like what what what do you have to do to stop an offense from running the like when what is it? Defensive line has to have penetrate? What is it?
Speaker 2: Penetration? Penetration kills all runs if you know that, especially on stretch plays anytime you get it. That's why three techniques are so important in certain schemes because three technique is kind of the pillar to getting the defense going.
Speaker 1: And what's the three technique?
Speaker 2: Three technique is the one that lines up on the guard.
Speaker 1: One that lines up on the guard.
Speaker 2: For you listeners, Yeah, he could be a two eye, he could be a three depending on the shade of it. But most of the time you have people like the people that you know, they're in the Hall of Fame, they mostly all were three techniques. You know what I'm saying, because they're the ones that get the sacks, they're the ones that get off the ball. Like I was a three technique and a defensive man, so those a hard place to play. But we in this game, it was just like getting the penetration and stop them from being able to move forward on the run. With a guy like Eddie Lacy, that means you got to have a lot of people. He's not the first person is probably not gonna take him down, so everybody has to be able to swarm. Swarm, so we have to swarm a lot to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: How was it playing under quinn man dan Quinn?
Speaker 2: I still talk to dan Quinn a lot. I feel like dan Quinn was one of the defensive courtner that has ever had a chance to play with because he just knew the game and he just would teach you and he wouldn't settle for anything. If you notice, like almost every team he goes to, the defensive defense is pretty good, and he defensive line is his favorite, you know what I'm saying, So like you never gonna see him with not a stacked defensive line, Like look at the defensive line of the Commanders. They had a stack defensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what they were selling a bunch of guys. He's developing guys.
Speaker 2: He's developing guys. But still they had the two D tackles that were he loves D tackles, so like looking at the Cowboys, look at the Falcons like always, you know, but sometimes it's cracks in the defense if you don't come back. You know, He's been a part of the two worst comebacks and the NFL, but still still great defense.
Speaker 1: Court, I mean, you still got to get there. And he's he's taking the team to the super Bowl and he's got a young quarterback and Jayden Daniels that's looking really damn good. He's got a good situation. The only thing I get scared of dan Quinn it's the same thing that happened Atlanta when Kyle Shanahan leaves. How's he going to react?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a great p knows how.
Speaker 1: He knows that defense. But once Kyle Shanahan left Atlanta wasn't the same. Yeah, but that's Cliff Kingsbury is there right now. He's going to develop Jade and Jaden is looking great. What if he leaves and gets a head coaching job next year.
Speaker 2: But then he has to be able to have the right people behind him too. Yeah, it's hard, though, you have good coaches and that's the heart.
Speaker 1: That's what people don't realize. When you win, you lose. You're losing. You're losing players, and you're losing coaches. You know, look at the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: I think that's why it was Name never leaves the defense coordinator because he's.
Speaker 1: Like Fags, like he's already kind of done that.
Speaker 2: It's like, this is a good situation. I don't have to you know what I'm saying, Like, I get to worry about defense and I know we're gonna win.
Speaker 1: That was a lot of why we had our success because our coaches stayed intact, like the diving Fears. Scar was there for a long time, Chatty o'she was there for eleven years, you know, the belichickair. You know, there's a bunch of guys that stayed. We had Maddy p and Flow and all those guys. Once they start, you know, that's that's a huge part of it.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of those guys be good coaches. But then it's like it's different when you lead your own team because some of the tactics that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't. You got to learn have you got to learn to have be your own figure. Yeah, yeah, you can't just go try to be Bill Belichick.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's only Yeah, everybody don't. Yeah, it's hard for other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jack the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we covered the the intro here. Two picks in the first five minutes that would be a theme for the day, interceptions by both sides. We got a green Bay field goal after the first one, one of those first defensive stands on the goal line that we talked about. Then the Doug Baldwin fumbling the kickoff another stand on the goal line only resulted in three. Then at the end of the quarter we got the thirteen to nothing with the free play Rogers to Cobb, only touchdown on the day.
Speaker 2: For green Bay.
Speaker 4: Moving in the second quarter, two more Russell interceptions, a Rogers interception, there's a three drives in a row that all end in interceptions, and then pick Fest Yeah, Pickfest nine seven left, he throws his second one still has yet to make a completion. Russ's I mean, we got three picks and no completions.
Speaker 1: Crazy in the first half. In the first half, how do first off, what's Pete Carroll's halftime like, and then what's halftime of this game with defense?
Speaker 2: Like Pete Carrol's like, so we're gonna do. We'll play good defense, We'll get a Bottimore shank and Russell just complete some passes. We're gonna win, all right, guys, we can go out there and win. We can go out there and win if we play good defense and get a Baltimore shank and we just played the game. All right, guys, we're not really down by much. Let's go out there and it's like, bro sixteen zero? How many?
Speaker 1: How many pieces of gum does he go through a game?
Speaker 2: Man? He has a gum guy. Everybody, you're not really rich if you don't have a gum guy. And he's right hand piece of gum. Yeah, you know he's got a monarch guy too. He rocks those monarchs. He loves the Nike mind brought Peek Carroll brought those monarchs back. He did single handedly something like Kanye, it was Pee, Now, what do you what do you guys?
Speaker 1: As a defense? Is Quinn talking to you guys? Are you guys having a players only.
Speaker 2: We having a player's defensive meeting, Just being like, look, coaches don't even need to come in here. This come down to us doing executing at the highest level. Look, it doesn't matter what Russell does or what it does. We don't we gave up some points. The field goal is still mad at us, you know what I'm saying. So at the end of the day, it's like, don't even let them get in field. Go position, Like let's just keep them back, stop them every opportunity that we get. Play great defense, you know what I'm saying, And just anybody to get the ball, knock them out, you know what I'm saying, Like a court get just hit the quarterback, make him feel the office in line, no excuses. This is the last game of the year. If if you don't play this game and you can have a great time in Cabo in the week, you know what I'm saying, Like this is about going to Arizona. So it's like, look, I don't care if your show to hurt. I don't care what you're going through at home. Like you need to be hyper focused right now, detailed, you know what I'm saying, to win this type of game. And I think that's what we kind of settled down and did.
Speaker 1: Now what's more Sean doing in the locker room at a halftime?
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 12: I love he just like, Man, I've been telling you'all to give it the ball, man, y'all want to win the game, like like what we're doing right now, Like y'all stop me from dancing like you know what I'm saying, skittles, you know.
Speaker 2: Like he's just like he's like I've been telling y'all just you know, like what we're doing. What's your best?
Speaker 1: What's your what's your best? Marshaw story man, nothing I can sell on camera. Man a lighthearted one.
Speaker 2: The best thing about Marshawn is that each day is real, regardless of the situation. You know, he's just whether winner or losing, like you get the same person. I think that's what I love about Marshawn. He's just a funny guy man, Like you know, even in Hawaii, Like he comes to Hawaii and then he will have like a Turkey drive or whatever. Like Marshaan's type. Person is always gonna go to whatever the most improverised people are in the world and go there first. He's not gone he go to London. He's not gonna go to the buckingheam palace, he can go, He's gonna go to London, to the East Side or but that's just who he is, right, he grew up in that type of area. So it's like, that's one thing I say about Marshawn, Like that's just the thing I like about him is that he just keeps it real like that the whole time.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 1: So, I grew up in the Bay and I had a lot of friends that went to Berkeley with with Marshawn. And there's just such a funny story where Marshawn was coming off of the practice field in his in his full get up right and he liked my boy's bike. He's like, yo, my boy loved Marshawn because Marshaun was a superstar. And so my my boy goes, I'll trade you my bike for your helmet, and he goes, fuck it, and he goes, I got a sharpie will he signed it. He signed it, and my buddy still has to signed the Marshawn Lynch hat off for helmet. Could you imagine going back to in college, where's your helmet?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got a bike, Like.
Speaker 2: Just real, so fucking funny but he was really beast in that game. That was really real, unreal like the runs and the hits and things that like how you play the game, you know, like Marshaan like you was just at one player. I don't think that the Green Bay wanted to tackle him in some of those players later on the game, like especially in.
Speaker 1: The third, the fourth runs angry.
Speaker 2: He runs angry the whole time. So he was very like he was very instrumental us whinning that game was him taking over the game and him getting the ball more.
Speaker 1: Now, where does he fit amongst running backs career?
Speaker 2: I would say that he's definitely Hall of Famer Ray. I think when you think about his time period, of the three running backs that were like the focal points at that time, which would be Adrian Peterson with Sean McCoy and Marshaan Lynch, Like those are the three guys if you think about the twenty tens to those are the guys that you were here. But there were other guys who like do good for the season, but like consistently, these were the guys that were the most consistent. I don't know if I'm leaving somebody out, but so Marshawn and his time period was definitely one of the best running backs.
Speaker 1: I agree, and.
Speaker 2: Y'all probably when y'all was watching y'all, he's probably one of the key players that y'all talking about, because I don't know what are the key players that you guys are looking at when you guys are playing.
Speaker 1: We have to stop Marshawan on offense, we are as a team, you know, we had to stop Marshawan and then we had to get vertical against the defense because you guys swarmed so much in ball security. That was like, those are the three things that I'm just thinking off off dome. Yeah, he was a huge I mean, I loved watching Marshawan and we played him a bunch when he was in Buffalo, Yeah, you know what I mean, So we we knew what he was about.
Speaker 2: And I feel like his game went to another level when he got.
Speaker 1: To without a doubt, but he was still he was still franchise. He was he was still running, he was still a first rounder, yeah, you know, and he just made crazy plays. He's always I wish I got to play with Marshawn. He seems like a fucking awesome teammates, you know what I mean, Like he.
Speaker 2: Shows up to all the kids' birthday parties, all the things he's.
Speaker 1: I could I could see if I was like if because guys are always up and down in the locker room, people don't realize we see each other at her worst and at our best.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing. I feel like people didn't connect to Russell about right because you got like a guy like Marshaw who kind of shows up to everything. Then maybe Russell doesn't show up to everything. And people started feeling a certain way, you know what I mean, because it's like everybody's showing up to everybody's things, but it's like, well, you're not coming, like but it's like you go to everybody's birthday party, go to all kids' birthday parties, you know, weddings, all these different things. So like people want to see teammates invested in those type of things. And when people smell that, they can understand that something feels weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, what do you guys think about? What did you think about? You guys grind back? You guys somehow get a touchdown for the because the offense wasn't doing anything all day. The fake field goal, fake field goal touchdown. When you get that two point version. Are you sitting there like, well.
Speaker 2: At that time. I always believe that Russell Wilson was a great person who didn't really get overcome by anything. No matter how much noise he was here, how many things that was happening, he would be super focused, hyper focused. Like even in that situation, you know Bryce Young, I mean, for you know, he wouldn't do that. Like Bryce Young is saying that it's not his fault that he played bad. I'm like, it was your fault, you know, Like like, but Russell will say that at that time, like you could see that he still had like he still wanted to win. Like he wasn't like going down. He was talking to himself, he was like really like he made some mistakes, but he definitely was like he wanted to.
Speaker 1: When his team needed and he made a couple of plays.
Speaker 2: Wanted to win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like the resilience of that is was so incredible watching this and halftime he's two for nine twelve yards, three interceptions with a QBR of zero point zero.
Speaker 2: Like and then to come back and.
Speaker 1: When did you feel that you guys were gonna win this game? Was it the whole time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought it was gonna win the whole time. Honestly, I felt like we was just a moment of time before we have that that win. I felt like when they weren't capitalizing on all the interceptions and the turnovers, that eventually that we would get it and we'll figure out, like, man, maybe we should just start running the ball because it was kind of cold that day too.
Speaker 1: You guys, well, you guys ran the ball while you were down two scores of five minutes to go. Yeah, we got That's crazy to me. We got Marshall Lynch without a doubt, But we didn't do that in.
Speaker 2: The Super Bowl, which was never made sense to me. I'm like, you know, I'm like watching the game like you watched that little part. It's like, well we thought we do like they y'all was ready for the play offense, you know, like no, Mark, Yeah, I don't know what. We ran the ball in that game and believed that Marshawn but Marshall and that game was just a tough game because Aaron Rodgers, like I said, you knew he's gonna be MVP. He had an incredible season, so like us stopping him in that scoring gave us a lot of opportunities to be able to win that game.
Speaker 4: That was huge there at the end, with like five left, Russell throws his fourth interception in the game. You're down to two scores, like, oh shit, and then the biggest I mean the biggest three and now you guys for us was you getting up the middle and getting through the lacy back to back times tackles for losses ends up third and sixteen forces that point, and like I.
Speaker 2: Was in my head, I was like, bro, I was like, they better not run this way because right now, like I was going to go for it, you know what I'm saying, Like I was going to go through the person and go to make that play out. Didn't care. I was like, like some hulk shit, Yeah, some hawk shit. I was like like literally, it was like three people blocking me, and I like picked the tight end up through the full back down and then made the running back. I was just like, I don't care right now. I don't really care about my body at this moment. I really just want to win this game.
Speaker 4: And hell it blew off. It was like full warrior mode.
Speaker 1: That's the beauty of playoff football because whether guys will say it or not, there are calculated risks during the regular season. In playoffs, all that's out. That's why it's the most dangerous time to play, because guys don't give up. There's no tomorrow, No no tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't care, like I know that tight end. Probably was like he's just gonna come off the ball, right. But then I'm like, plus the tight ends. I never let tight ends block me because I just.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you can't let it. You can't let a tight end.
Speaker 4: Gronk was good, but you know, Gronka block. The Gronker block and after that, we love Gronk. After that that awesome sting. Only eighteen seconds come off the clock, score get the on side kick, which is crazy. Chris Matthew, he was mister the man.
Speaker 1: Did you guys remember practicing that You saw that in practice?
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also was like Chris Matthews just had a great month. You know what I'm saying. If I was him, I would have played the lottery like every day, like you know what, like it's my time.
Speaker 1: Why did he have a great month?
Speaker 2: He played so good in that game, He played great in the Super Bowl. Yeah, and that he was like the champion of that game. Really, when we think about it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like one hundred and thirty scene that was most of his career. Yeah production, super yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Marshaan to the go ahead touchdown, leave it like.
Speaker 2: That was so second. The way he walked, he goes backwards.
Speaker 1: He always you could be he did it like while he was looking at the guy, did you see it? Like he didn't do it to the world.
Speaker 2: He didn't do it to the world, kind of diving backwards.
Speaker 1: Then he went and shook his guy's hands. He's like, but he did the whole my d before he did on a sneak.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was thinking like that he was. Maybe he was. He was. He very one of the smart people ever.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I love Marshan. We got to get him on here.
Speaker 2: We got it.
Speaker 4: Then this thing goes into ot leave a little too much time on the clock, Mason Crosby Field, little forces over time. Russ and the boys get the kick or get the coin flip go down. Six plays, eighty seven yards, three minutes, nineteen seconds. Russ was three for three for eighty yards with the walk off, Duddy.
Speaker 2: The walk off that changed my Jamaine cursed life right. That was a tough catch. Jermaine Curse is really one of the most underrated receivers.
Speaker 1: He loves those seam route.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's made a lot of big plays that people overlook, you know, like the Malcolm play or the one where he like kicked the ball and caught it.
Speaker 1: Get the one again that was on Malcolm but oh yeah, like on the scene right in the Super Bowl. Yeah, where like yeah, because Malcolm had a great play on it.
Speaker 2: But Jamaica has a great hand eye coordination, like lay the ball in the area. Well, he's also like a really great golf player. He's a decent tennis player.
Speaker 1: It can't beat me, but you get a tennis greater.
Speaker 2: Tennis Yeah, yeah, I punch cronk at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the aftermath, let's get in after the uh Europe. So did you get a little you did your little bike thing? Do you remember when Marshawn did it with the field car in college?
Speaker 2: You know, I remember him doing that, but I was just like I was tired. I was like, let me get around this. You know, Black people and the police we don't really get along. It was like that was really kind of there was an opportunity to change the world if they would have just followed me on that. You know, what do you mean? Like I was.
Speaker 1: That a cop?
Speaker 2: That was a cop?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was like, give me your bike, I'm coming during this? Did he cool?
Speaker 1: He was cool?
Speaker 2: It was cool with it. I don't know if that would have happened if I was like on the streets in Chicago.
Speaker 4: Let me click victory lap. Yeah, twenty eight twenty two, Just to clear that one up, Seattle with twenty eight to twenty two. You guys coming back from sixteen oh down, You guys are flying high big in the Super Bowls there.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's a fun that's a fun feeling after like a close when we played the Chiefs and beat him on the road in eighteen, Like close games in the NFC Championship, you feel so exhilarate because you're you finally get to go to the last game. It's almost like certain teams once you like I remember when I first went to the Super Bowl in ten eleven, like it was like we won because we were going and there were certain guys that are like, nah, we're not done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's one of those things you realize, too, is like how hard it is to get to that whole level of Super Bowl and like trying to stay in the moment and actually getting there and like having really playing a tough game, and then that second half really the Patriots really did a great job. So the aftermath was really interesting because I think that was one of those turning points. I think if we win that game, we probably would probably end up going to three Super Bowls back to back, right. I think you know, the coming that following you was very difficult because it was like took the whole season to kind of like finally get together as one unit because everybody's pointy fingers of whose fault it was, but my my head, it was like it's everybody's fault if you lose. Honestly less, it's just like a really unique play where it's like comes down to it, but you know, we gave up points on defense, offense didn't score enough for it. We didn't do this just like everybody plays a role in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's a team sport. It's that ultimate team sport. Eleven men have to do their job for five seconds and if one guy messes up, it could be a colossal funk up.
Speaker 2: I'm choking Gronk on this one.
Speaker 1: So how what? What can we talk about this? How did this go?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just just like, man, fuck, they want you know what I'm saying, like let's fight. You know what I'm saying, let's just fight, Like who wouldn't fight? You know what I'm saying, like might as well at this point? What's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: It's just it's that theory that you don't know if you're like winning more than you hate this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like, man, like all that have to be here. Yeah, and I'll played really good this game and I was just like I was just like wanting to like yeah, but it all turns out it.
Speaker 1: Is what it is now. Immediately after that game in locker room was here like it was shocked. Why did we not run it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think that was what everybody was thinking.
Speaker 1: Was that was that everyone's mind?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think he still thinks. I think that's when you'll probably never say that, but I did. I bet in his head a little bit there, like he wonders if what happened if you just ran the ball?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, well, you guys can't speak down four?
Speaker 1: So it was third down? Was it third down second. I believe second time they had three downs at the two.
Speaker 2: I went through it to fourth down and we was all, yeah, so most likely we did two quarterback sneaks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That sorry that, I'm thankful that the right. Yeah, legacy, the Mount Rushworths defenders. After that one, I think there's still and you still got Earl Thomas.
Speaker 2: Earl Tummins probably goes down as one of the best safeties. I think it will take them a little bit too. You know, everything that kind of happened at the end will be shaky, But I think he still is a Hall of Famer. I think Sharon for short Sherman has done a great job and retire and career all things he's done is in football, Bobby for sure, Like kJ is really good, Cliff was great, Cam was great. Like There's a lot of great defenders on that team.
Speaker 1: It's just the whole defense is the Legion of Boom, the whole the whole defense is on the wall.
Speaker 2: The whole defense is on the wall. Take a great defense to win it?
Speaker 1: Does?
Speaker 2: I think, where do we go with the best defensive history?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Where does this go in the best.
Speaker 2: Some people say some people say number one and number two depends what you asked.
Speaker 1: Compete with what eighty five bears?
Speaker 2: Eighty five Bears are the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Ravens two thousand Ravens.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's statistically we were kind of the best.
Speaker 2: We look at statistic wise.
Speaker 1: How which statistics show that.
Speaker 2: Scoring, running, passing turn? You know what I'm saying, Like, yeah, so I don't know, some could say, some could say, I mean, it was a fucking tough defense. You had to earn everything. You had to play so precise. Any fuck up against that defense, they made you pay. The thing I loved about that defense too is just the competitiveess. It really was the practice, not really the games, Like it was just really just like the amount of compete the mount people compete at practice, Like that's crazy when you think about like Sharan like really trying to intercept Doug, Like the defense is super great, Like well the forty nineis was good too, though, So I don't know that one time the forty nineers had a really great defense with all the smith justin Smith, Patrick Willis in the bar ball Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they always have a good deal, Like they still have a good defense, but like I don't know what's up with their defense. Right now, they can't stop the run. They got to stop the run. They lost Armstead what's his name? Hardgrave just got hurt, didn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stopping a run is a decision. I think they made pass rushing so important to overlook defense. Like some people will be like, oh, I want a guy who if I'm a defensive coordinator, I think a guy who gets between ten and fifteen sacks and has like twenty five TFLs and like a lot of quarterback hits and disruptive more than a guy who has like twenty sections. All he does is rush up the field, get the sack. But it's like, that's my problem with Michael Parson. Michael Parsons Right when you watch some of the games, it's like he's a really good defender, but like there's some things they can improve in on the run game. Like even when you watch the game against the Ravens, like there was plays where you know he was supposed to be in the gap and you could see him like over pursuing. But he's a smaller guy front playing defensive line. But at the same time, it's like sometimes with the defenders, like when you to get better at the run game, keep his sack total, like he gets like eighteen sacks, Like let's just get fifteen and like let's get you thirty TFLs. You know what I'm saying, Like let's be in the field. Like JJ Watt was really good because JJ Way had a lot of TFLs when you look at the end of the season, like he had a lot of plays behind the line, scrimmage in the run game, like it was kind of overlooked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he was never overlooked when we played them.
Speaker 2: We played them, but you know, I'm just saying, like people talk about his pass rusher, but but yeah, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of I think that's what made him mean better than a pass rusher.
Speaker 2: He was just an overall player like Terrell Suggs. Like you look at the end of the year, like those guys were overall good players to where it was like they were just great defenders. They weren't great pass rushers, great defenders every day guys that could do it all and get to the back of the quarterback to get to hits. They could have TFLs like it would always have twenty five plus TFLs, you know.
Speaker 1: I Mean, that's that's how Bill looks at it. I feel just because like anytime we'd always have an outside guy come in and join our defense, I get out like they would always get mad like we have too much response, like they're not even going for a goddamn sack, you know what I mean, Because we would have a thing where you keep him in the pocket making beat them with the defense. You know, there's always like a strategic thing of the defensive line rush where we were at as you probably can talk to, where a lot of guys were like, that's not how we what I came from.
Speaker 2: No, no, exactly, but I would say that's the thing I al would say that when I watch football now, you see a lot of guys like even like Derrick Henry, a lot of those runs are just guys kind of just being out being out the gap, like you know, the purposely, No, I think. I think sometimes it's just like when they running those stretch plays or they double up on the office and line where they like where you get nudged by the tackle or the tackles working his way up to the to the linebacker, or you are two I and the center bumps you and he's on the way to the mic. You know what I'm saying, like, and they isolating DB's on some of those crunch plays. Nobody likes those crunch plays where where you're making the cornerback tackle. It was a hard place to stop. You know, you look at look at that type of defense, and then you got a good blocking receivers. It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's a decision, like you said, you said, blocking the runs the decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life is a decision when you come out to football. You choosing violence or violence is choosing you.
Speaker 1: To choose the violence.
Speaker 2: Or choose the violence on the football field. The football field, not on the off the field, on the field.
Speaker 1: In sports, we missed anything about this game.
Speaker 2: No, I think you got it right. I think this is one of the It'll go down as one of the most one of the greatest Division championship games because it came down to like two great teams. The great offense did what the great offense was supposed to do, and then at the end, the great defense did what it was supposed to do. And to end up with one team just making one more play than an other.
Speaker 1: Dude, I couldn't agree more. It was so fun going back and watching this game, you know, because I don't really remember. I didn't remember it as much because I was in the AFC, But going back and seeing this, like we we may never see a game like that again because the on site kicks and and you know what I mean, we you can't get an on side kick nowadays, It's fucking impossible. You gotta declare this certain amount of guys can't be over here, this like that with the interceptions. It's just it was a fun game to redive into. And I appreciate you fucking coming into a timer.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break anything.
Speaker 4: Uh wait, well I got one note here before we go. The quest is what we were trying to think of earlier with John Claude Van dam Baby West nineteen ninety six. Just like you said, shout out John Cloud Vandam.
Speaker 2: Jean Clum Van damn you mak at John CoV VANDAM on the show.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we got to that would be. I wonder what would he do like a soccer game.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he watch football. He was in America and the time, hanging out with like like a fighting match.
Speaker 4: I don't care if you read the bumbos. I'll let him in here, do.
Speaker 1: Real quick before we wrap this thing up. We gotta name the game. What's the name of this game we have? It doesn't have to be any of this. We have the Victory Lap game, give me the Bike Game, the Danger Russ Game, Bennett's Bike Ride Game, or could it be a different game name?
Speaker 2: The name of that game would be.
Speaker 1: Out of someone very artistic, like you expect something really creative.
Speaker 2: No pressure, which is brew?
Speaker 1: Which is brew?
Speaker 2: Miles Davis. What's a lot of things in that game? A brew of competition, a brew of offenses, defenses.
Speaker 1: Plays by everything, the Witches Brew game. It would be one of the best names we ever heard. Love, Let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it. Michael steaks zero to ten decimals, Okay, the stakes of this game, it.
Speaker 2: Was definitely a ten that sticks ten.
Speaker 1: Tend to go to the Super Bowl. Star Power start. I'll go nine. Star power of this game ninety two nine star power nine nine. I'll give it a nine, Aaron, I mean, you got a lot of Hall of Famers in this back kind of seven nine out of.
Speaker 2: Eight one, hey one, what is it? What do you? What do you call stars. I got what is it? What's a ten star game? For me? That's like the that's the worst star power. Honestly, not a lot effort. Being.
Speaker 1: Brandon Marshall would argue that the opposite, because when he came on this show, he talked about his Pro Bowl game that he got a m vpn B Mars.
Speaker 2: You gotta start with it, stop, Chevy Trunk. Got to start with that ship man.
Speaker 1: The game player of this game.
Speaker 2: The game play. I would say ten because of the amount of between nine nine. I say nine nine, nine point five because I feel like it was like it was like it took a lot to come back, like high level, like it was a lot of players make big plays, like those interceptions. Those players made those plays. They weren't just thrown interceptions. Those guys make great.
Speaker 1: Plays without a doubt. You know, I'm an offensive guy. I have a little bias. I want to see some points. But if you're a real football person, this had I mean, this had special teams, touchdown, special teams, fumbles, over time.
Speaker 2: Everybody was involved, everyone was in.
Speaker 1: It's the Witch's brew game. So I'm gonna go with the eight point seven. So funny, he.
Speaker 9: Choked recovered in the game. That's gonna be a high score. I got an eight point nine out of nine point one.
Speaker 2: We're all in the same region there.
Speaker 1: And the name of the game. You have to grade the name.
Speaker 2: I think a ten for because I made it up so ten.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with an eight point eight.
Speaker 3: Jack had a seven eye of six.
Speaker 4: I scored this before I knew we were calling her, which is but what is it?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Land?
Speaker 3: This is an eight point seven.
Speaker 1: This is gonna land high.
Speaker 2: It's gotta change. I gotta change the metrics with the name. Now that you guys give me, I'd like to bump it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Eight point seventy five.
Speaker 1: This puts us really point seventy three.
Speaker 9: This puts US tied with the nineteen ninety nine Women's World Cup China versus the USA.
Speaker 2: That was a good game. Yeah, just me and.
Speaker 1: Him was in that one, right, Yeah the Rose Brandy chest Hain't took your shirt off? Yeah, oh yeah, we had her on the show. She was awesome.
Speaker 3: Tied for six. This is a great game. This is not really a great game. It's a great spot for this game.
Speaker 2: That's it. Thank you, Thank you man.
Speaker 1: Michael anything else, no, no, thank you guy. You gotta plug anything? No, no, man, Well, I appreciate you coming in. And I hope the the college looks with your daughters go great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would go good. I think it would be good. I'm getting old.
Speaker 1: Now, that's gotta be a I mean hit me the other day when.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know, buy her car and like stuff. I'm just like, damn going on college tours, man, Like this is the last time this this October second, is the last time you'd be in the house. What else you know? I was like, that's real, man, crime.
Speaker 1: The days are long, but the years are sure. Yeah, the days are long. Well, thank you so much, man, And it's gonna be awesome. Man, he was awesome. He's he's just that family. They're so like they're really smart people. Him and Marty Michael, like, I think they're a little misunderstood. He's He's I think they're like brilliant people.
Speaker 9: They're like interesting human beings who happened to be football players.
Speaker 1: But they powerful. But like you know, Michael loves football like he was he's for sure watching you listen to how he was breaking down the game. He watches the game. Like, you know, he's he's making up a cool chair right now and and some cool rugs on his own. But you know, when it's Sunday front or Monday, he's watching the football game. He loves football.
Speaker 4: You respect losing, so you can understand winning.
Speaker 1: You respect.
Speaker 4: Michael Bennett said that on the pod today, A profound, profound. We gotta put that on a crochet that onto a pillow, put it on the couch something, because that is that's an all time quote from the Nuthouse.
Speaker 1: I love that. Let's put it on a pillow.
Speaker 4: What a guy, I mean, so talented he I'll.
Speaker 1: Make a pillow out of it.
Speaker 2: Studio cre check it out.
Speaker 4: Man, he is one talented dude, and I liked it. A man of taste such as himself gave us the coast sign.
Speaker 1: He gave me the baby. He saw the Nutthouse. He's like, this is tasteful, real recognize real bait. Hey, champagne taste with a beer budget. Yeah, facts, champagne taste with a beer budget.
Speaker 4: Hey, you got a gum guy, bro, you got that, you got that champagne budget.
Speaker 3: Georget George Constana, have a gum guy.
Speaker 2: A gum go.
Speaker 3: I gotta look that up. I should Jerry did here.
Speaker 1: He had a oh yeah, down in like you got dip. Yeah that dip guys for years now, But I ain't that rich. What's hit the hotline?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 1: Go again? That number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero.
Speaker 2: Hey, Julian, I love your show, but everyone knows the greatest game of.
Speaker 6: All time is the Ice Bowl.
Speaker 1: Ice Bowl.
Speaker 6: All a couple of them are still around.
Speaker 2: You need to get some Lombardi era Packers on their show to discuss the Ice Bowl. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I agree one hundred zillion percent. We need that. That'd be awesome to hear about the Gridiron game that I love by one of the founding fathers.
Speaker 4: Nineteen sixty seven, December thirty first Lambeaufield, Baby Green Bay Packers Dallas Cowboys twenty one seventeen.
Speaker 2: The Packers edge them out.
Speaker 4: Still the coldest game in NFL history on record minus forty eight degrees fahrenheit with the wind shill.
Speaker 2: Remember what.
Speaker 3: That's one of the first games on the ESPN Classic.
Speaker 2: I would watch.
Speaker 1: It was awesome.
Speaker 9: Remember the ton the story were like, the like not to make this racial, but the white players were like jealous of the black players because the black players could wear like gloves.
Speaker 3: They had these like black gloves they could.
Speaker 9: Wear and the coaches couldn't tell it was there, so they wear gloves on all the white guy's hands were freezing.
Speaker 1: I wish you would have said that in fort of Michael. I don't even know what that means. Everyone you know who gold.
Speaker 3: You know who went to this game, was at this game.
Speaker 9: Ernie, probably Willem Dafoe, you know, Willem to the actor, I feel.
Speaker 4: Like green Goblin baby, yeah, Goblin, yeah, shout out Florida project.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 9: He was at this game. There's an NFL film story about it.
Speaker 13: We gotta get him. Let's get to get him. On the top of that screw an old packard. I want Will to just go, dude, great question, what a legend, bro.
Speaker 4: We should do some more old old psychos.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 6: Call h my name is friend.
Speaker 14: I actually want to leave a message for truth his mom. I actually met her your rookie year. We set down to then earned the back hallways of the stadium. I didn't know who she was at first, but we were training. We were training, uh, showing each other what we were bought at the poor shop and then you came over and said hello.
Speaker 1: So say hello to her.
Speaker 2: She's a very very sweet woman.
Speaker 1: Well bent down. Tell my mama hello for you. Bob Brens is hello mom to meet loaf Mom.
Speaker 2: What is she doing back there?
Speaker 1: Never know what she's doing?
Speaker 4: Shout out Angiere, she is actually here.
Speaker 1: She's actually here.
Speaker 6: Hi Ju, Hi Kyler, Hi Jack. This is what you call it. I'm making a recommendation. I think you guys should get Stone Stuston on the pod if you can. You literally talked about anything. I think, like football, like Texas and you're from Texas or something I don't know, or some old matches. I don't care. I just wanted to cuss him by on the pod. I love you guys, are grabbing you today. I can't wait to listen to the pod some more.
Speaker 1: All right, bye, Wow, Whitney, I couldn't agree with you anymore. Stone Cold Steve Austin was my favorite wrestler. Same as a kid. I used to drink two freaking cokes and slam them after And that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so Austin three sixteen, just.
Speaker 2: Whooped your ass.
Speaker 4: I still remember one of my earliest disappointments kindergarten, Miss Henry's class.
Speaker 2: Shout out Miss Henry.
Speaker 4: When I my mom told me I could not go as stone Cold Steve Austin for career day. Her point was, that's a that's a man, not a career. I still don't get the distinction.
Speaker 1: That's bullshit.
Speaker 4: I am so pissed, bro.
Speaker 1: He goes a doctor, a doctor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I couldn't go with stone Cold Steve Austin for career to day. You know what, that's bull I know, Bro, I think you.
Speaker 1: Should be able to.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I just have to get him in the nuthouse then, you know, my guy, we're gonna have to.
Speaker 1: We might have to start doing some wrestling moves and and try to join the w W to prove that teacher wrong.
Speaker 2: That's right, bro, just.
Speaker 3: Asking eight year old Jack, what do you want to be when he grew up five year old?
Speaker 2: I want to be him. Yeah, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: That's a man.
Speaker 2: That's my career path.
Speaker 1: Baby, you gotta get we gotta get stone Cold on. He has to, he'd be electric. I don't want to be with him. Is he sober?
Speaker 2: No, he's got his own beer. We've had it.
Speaker 1: We've got to we need to get on the beer.
Speaker 4: And I want to hear I love ar theme music, but we're just having the glass shatter everything. Oh Man, Whitney, I could not agree more.
Speaker 1: We agree, Whitney.
Speaker 9: We get some let's just say, interesting voicemails that kind of start off the same. I'm so glad this one went to a better place. Yeah, you know, they're like, HI usually goes to a bad place. This one Stone called Steve Austin.
Speaker 4: Good place, good place, good place.
Speaker 2: Thee snake always a good place.
Speaker 1: Zang quays world Korean? Right? Is it Korean?
Speaker 2: Was a Filipino?
Speaker 1: Can't can't?
Speaker 4: Can't? Antony's yes, what's your name? Uh?
Speaker 1: Cassandra she rocked?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And what's his name?
Speaker 4: Rob Low was trying to try to usurp.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. The showfield, well, what a fun game to go back down high scoring, high scoring. But that was a I forget. I forgot about that game. So it's great about this podcast. You get to relive the game again.
Speaker 4: Seriously. Oh and with Mike, what a guy. Michael been an awesome guy. Thanks again to Michael Bennett. You know, I wish them the best luck with him and his family. I'm finding university for his little daughters. He's such a family guy.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Nope, Peter spent the day here, but my mom didn't wear them out, almost sitting back with them. But that's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Comment a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine to one two two nine zero. We'll see you guys next week later. Games with Names of production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.