Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two ninety seven, Episode two of Dardilly's Eye Guystay production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we, let's say, we take a little deep dive into america shared consciousness. And it is Tuesday, July twenty fifth, twenty twenty three. My name's Jack O'Brien akaf No one knows what it's like to be this Jack guy, to be this thick guy behind plump thighs. That is courtesy of Blinky Heck, behind blue Eyes by the Who, which might not seem like the most appropriate song to open up our fiftieth anniversary of hip hop. I have a grim topic, but I don't know it actually resonates with me as for our conversation with like what the world would look like if hip hop had never existed, It would just be a lot of guys with blue eyes feeling sorry for themselves. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles br Let's fucking keep it hip Hop.
Speaker 2: Uppenheimer Girl in a party world.
Speaker 1: Life in plastic.
Speaker 2: It's bombastic, super heated air destruction.
Speaker 3: Everywhere, and imagine nation that is your creation.
Speaker 4: Okay, anyway.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Johnny Davis title God Yeah, biggip hop. Yeah, shout out to you for that one. Shout out to all the Barbenheimer's out there.
Speaker 4: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I only got half of it done this week. But I will complete the other half.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, we will finish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am all right, Miles.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to be joined by a brilliant poet, political activist, academic MC and podcast host of The Mustless and Hood Politics with prop on Cool Zone. It's the brilliant, the talented Jason Petty aka Propaganda.
Speaker 3: What up, y'all? I might as well continue to tradition here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's propaganda aka only win. And I get an email from.
Speaker 5: And uh, I'm on the daily SI guys, my name by post hood polotics with me. I sell cold pro coffee.
Speaker 3: That's prob a courtesy of me.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. I was a hard joint right there.
Speaker 3: Man. I was like, listen, I keep them in the holster, like yeah, true MC?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how many man you ever?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: How many writtens do you ever?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: If I'm sure you know you go to freestyle battles and stuff? How many writtens would you have in your back pocket?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: I mean I come from the age where you're not supposed to have. Yeah, yeah, I know, you know what I'm saying, But but you get like you it's more like you have like a grab bag of like four bar eight bar, some kind of finish off things in there. Just yeah, if you get lost, you can pull something out of there, right right. But yeah, but like a full verse, someone's gonna catch you, yeah, you know, and then then you can never come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember being like really disappointed when I used to think like mixtape freestyles were actual freestyles like back in the day, and like, no, they're workshopping like other material that's going to end up on the track.
Speaker 4: And for the real head was.
Speaker 3: On that that was that I heard Deadline?
Speaker 4: Yeah, those that Green Lantern mixtape. Yeah, I know, yeah, were workshopping.
Speaker 3: That kind of that kind of goes to like what we're going to talk about later on that attitude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, talk about that when we get there, sure for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, what we are talking about today is hip hop. It is the fiftieth anniversary. We're going to just talk general thoughts on Yeah, how to go fifty years in. Yeah, so so what we like, We just listened to some hip hop and we're all to what do we think? Yeah, No, we're gonna, you know, talk about the history, talk about the best and worst things that happened to us because of hip hop, talk about what does a world without hip hop look like?
Speaker 2: Which I said on our text thread, does is that just a world without black and brown people? Because I feel like you would have to take away some of the vibrancy, the life, the energy, the rhythms of these cultures to then anyway. But I don't know that's for us to discuss. We can discuss ads. Yeah, very is more appropriate, like if it didn't ye did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if we never fought to like keep it authentic, like if it just becomes like like we just gave up a rock and roll to where it's just like, all right, we advanced the we can't look we can't ever keep anything for ourselves.
Speaker 4: Right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, But before we get to any of that ship prop, we do like to get to know our guests a little bit better, to ask you, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are or what you're up.
Speaker 3: To man, I wish I had something like fun, but like I've been, I've had to like continue to look for my own like name and address on the internet, and so I've googled myself a bunch of times.
Speaker 4: I can sense that to you do you need do you need that? Yeah, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: I kind of had like a like a serious kind of like stalker situation. And there was like a moment where I me and my wife kind of looked at each other because basically he found the dude found my wife's number, and at that point I was like, all right, I'm gonna catch a case if we don't fix.
Speaker 4: This, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so like I just had to like find all these programs that you can like get your informations your personal information scrubbed off the internet. So I just kind of check here and there to make sure that like you can't at least find my home address because if he if someone pulls up at the crib. At that point, I'm like, as well, yeah, yeah, take care of my children, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, somebody look out for my kids. Well I think I think you'll be all right. But yeah, that is like a really complex thing about the Internet right is like the right to like even disappear. That's something people have talked about for years ago, like do you do you have the ability to be completely anonymous? Because when you see yourself on those public record sites, it's a lot of fucking hoops you have to jump through to even crazy get to somebody who will be like, okay, we'll take that down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not even with Like I mean, I had to show that like a filed the restraining order, Like I had to like show that like yo, I did the work, you know, and finally the restraining order was even drama. I was like, ah, it's like it takes these many times. I'm like, man, like y'all like, luckily this dude isn't violent if you will, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So it's like.
Speaker 3: I if you but I thought Dan, like what if this was violent?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: How hard it was to actually get this stuff taken care of, Like it's a month but yeah, so the last thing, so I just had it double check like a couple of days ago to be like all right, am I still can you find my address?
Speaker 4: Right right? You know the dark side of the Internet, Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Really is, and that like it's so much awful ship is said on the internet that by the time you get to the people who help with the stuff, they're like, yeah, they just seem exhausted, you know, yes, yes, Like we we had a couple things back in the day with like people saying anti Semitic shit that was like, you know, violent, and we like had a writer who like went to the FBI and it was it was wild. Like but like the number of hoops you have to jump through just to like get them to even be like all right, we checked into it. It seems like they're full of shit. They're like yeah, yeah, yeah, it's crazy. What is something prop you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh, family vacations.
Speaker 4: Is what happened.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I laughed at.
Speaker 3: That, because you get it, Like because you get it, you know, I don't. Okay, Miles, you on your way, buddy, you know, like you only you only you only got one appendage. Like once you get a couple of appendages, you know, it's like fam Like I like they're not vacations, their trips because I'm like I'm working, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm like I don't under and for somebody like me. You know, I was a touring artist for years. You know what I'm saying, So I travel for work. I mean I got a system. I know how. You know what I'm saying. You get to the airport at this time. I got access to this lounge. I know which bathroom to you. You know what I'm saying. Like, Yo, we got to be at the sit here at this time. That's where I park, Like I got, I got the system down. When you know, when you with when you with the queen, you feel me. The kids ain't listening to you because the queen's there, so and she don't care because she on vacation, so she gonna move at the pace she want to move at. Now I'm irritated, you know what I'm saying. And we spending more money than you know. Now you want some juice, and I'm like, you ain't got no, you don't need to get juice. They got juice on the plane. Just wait till we get on the plane. But I'm thirsty now, right, Okay, everybody go to the bathroom because it's gonna be in the line. I don't gotta go to the bathroom now. We're in there. You and you and you beg for the window seat. You beg for the window seat. Now you got to use a bathroom. So you're finna make everybody. And I'm like, god, dog, you know you spending mode and you won't you know, it's just oh my god, it's just it's work.
Speaker 1: It's work. Yes, my kids like to go to the bathroom on the plane, like just to break things up, like yeah, it's just fun.
Speaker 4: Oh, just to be like I'm gonna get up and go, you know what.
Speaker 3: Because you're sitting there. Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying. Okay, Miles, take that, Take that little new board, take that little new born on a plane. Wait till their ears pop, Like, good luck, big dog.
Speaker 2: I know we got a plane ride coming up in a couple of months.
Speaker 4: I'm like a little bit like bro, I'm old school.
Speaker 3: I didn't do this with my children, but my grandma definitely suggested.
Speaker 4: The little cat full of whiskey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just got of like put him out rill whiskey, the bril so night quail. Yeah, just a cat full. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, night night exactly. Just a little bit of lean I found in my carage a little bit. This is not the official stance of the Daily.
Speaker 4: Pray though, just so you know, put that out there.
Speaker 3: But I get.
Speaker 2: I mean the other thing I read is like, you know, having like they could like a nurse or eat like from a bottle because that helps like clear a little bit of pressureize. But yeah, I don't so far, very chill baby. So and he's still in that phase where like he goes where I put him down. So basically that's what makes that's why I'm a little bit more like, Okay, I think we can get through this. He's not mobile and like grabbing ship and throwing it. Yet when we get to that point, I think that's when more of my hair will start to fall out and more gray.
Speaker 4: Hair will enter the picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you got when they got opinions.
Speaker 1: Right, for now, you can just leave him at the gate to hold your seat for you. Will you go and buy stuff at the you know, to leave them in that chair going anywhere?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you yeah, when you go when you get to that like super cool hotel that's like cool for the for the size that you need because it's for y'all, so it's not really cool. But it's cool, right, and you're like, oh good, our kids bed is literally right next to the bed that I'm with, so well there goes they go to love making because I'm laying right next to.
Speaker 4: My child right right.
Speaker 3: And then just go ahead and walk by that super cool bar because you're not gonna go down there, right, can't leave your children in the room.
Speaker 4: Like what I'm saying right right.
Speaker 2: It just reminds you of this ship that would happen actually when I was a kid, right, And just so this is like some real patriarchal type shit where like if we're on a vacation with like other families, like at night, the dads will go fuck off and get fucked up. I remember, Yeah, they will go do something like we were hanging out with the moms and I was like, how when do you guys do that. They're like, oh, they don't. They're like, we're drinking wine here right now. That we prefer your company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be honest, Yeah, and hear them to talk about junior varsity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, soccer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But we you know, we we modern folks. Ain't no way in the world, ain't no way in the world.
Speaker 1: You discover weird parts of the hotel that like you didn't because like we're just walking. We're like, all right, let's walk to the end of this floor of the hotel and to check in every door and see what's just like.
Speaker 3: There's an ice machine.
Speaker 1: That's another ice machine. Oh my god, I'm kidding me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, family vacations, but it's like it's great when your kids are older and they're like, dude, you remember when we went to this this and this's like yeah, it's so cool, Like you know, they love it, but it's it's great.
Speaker 4: It's just overrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah at that point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the that's the duty of the parent, right something.
Speaker 2: At that point, you are just the facilitator for their for formative memories exactly.
Speaker 1: But anybody who like you come back from a family vacation is like, ah, you nice and relaxed. It's like no, nope, exhausted, Yeah, tired, more tired than I was the day I left.
Speaker 4: What's so what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Just like vibe out.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I think you make it fun for them. You just that's why I'm like, it's work. You're there so they have good good time. You're not on vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are a servant.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're not on vacation. They are.
Speaker 2: I used to host like kids' birthday parties at Laser Tag, so I know how to be like the entertainer you're.
Speaker 1: Going to be.
Speaker 3: You're going you just have to tell your brain you're not on vacation. That's what I had to learn. It took me so many years to figure out, Oh, I'm not on vacation, right they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you don't have to worry about anything.
Speaker 4: You're just there there.
Speaker 1: You're fine, choose your own adventure where they're in charge. What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: I guess almost on the same theme. I think solo missions, man, like whatever that solo mission is, whether it's a restaurant, a movie, a walk, you know what I'm saying, the gym, a trip, you know what I'm saying. Like, dog, I feel like fools be like sleeping on solo missions. First of all, it costs half of what it would cost number one, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I would say it's much less in my case.
Speaker 3: But yeah, totally, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a two fifty year old man, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, yeah, it's gonna cost so much less. And I say half because it's like, because that's that money I'm saving, I'll now spend on extravagant stuff that I wouldn't have bought if there was other people here. You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, get the extra avocado. You feel me like, you know, take that, take that tool. You know what, I will take that extra bottle of wine. Feel because it's just me Like, you know I could do that, you know what I'm saying. So I just think solo missions. You could get an app you get an appetizer.
Speaker 2: You feel me like, I love how a lot of your memories right now it feels like you every situation you're in ordering dinner with your family, it's.
Speaker 4: Like I want to order this, but I can't right now, and.
Speaker 3: I absolutely can'stant.
Speaker 4: Listen, you gotta take what you get now.
Speaker 3: I think the thing for me is like I like I love experiences like I I realize like when people ask you like, oh what gives you life? And stuff like that, Like I like I don't want like objects like don't buy me no objects, Like I like, I'll get the I'll get the the object. I'll get that for myself because it's like I've already researched it. I know which little do dad that I want, and I'll get it for me. Right. But if I'm a like but if I want like a gift, like a treat, it's like I want to go experience something incredible.
Speaker 4: You feel me.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I'm the type that like I got a trillion tabs or like stars on my like yelp for every city. You know what I'm saying, because I'm like, I'm gonna go to this spot they got the bomb dumplings. Right, you feel me? And I know I like that stuff, but I don't want to have to come to a consensus with everybody else.
Speaker 1: You feel me, I'm like I like it, yes, which listen, I enjoy this. I don't want to have to fucking negotiate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have to negotiate it. And then watch you get these chicken tingers and like you don't feel me, And it's just like even watching you get chicken tenders bothers me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just.
Speaker 3: Seeing it and I'm just like I'm trying to show you the world. Like I'm like, like I'm from South Central Los Angeles, Like, right, you know what I'm saying, Like, do you understand what we providing for you right now? You feel me like no, you don't. The chicken fingers, I'm like, you know what, forget it. Don't come, just don't come. You're not gonna enjoy it. You're gonna mess up my time. So I love I love solo missions.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we will talk all things hip hop, fifty years of hip hop, celebrate and ask where it's head. We'll be right back and we're back. And yeah, so about fifty years ago, you know, so some stories say late sixties, but you know, mainly I think everybody's just kind of coordinated that we're going to celebrate fifty years this year, twenty twenty three. The founding story is super inspiring because it's like a lot of people practicing the thing that we now talk about as being like future facing, like people in a local community just like spending time with each other, like no real profit motive involved, just trying to like throw the best party. And yeah, it was. It was like this organic thing that came out of a neighborhood that the mainstream media like at the time was treating the Bronx because that's where the Yankees played and they had like a Pennant winning team at that time, and it was like this big story that like, look at this fucking hellscape, like people actually live here, look at look at these fucking pictures. You guys, it's a it's a nightmare. And like, meanwhile, the people who live there creating the coolest art form I think in American history would be my argument, but the best thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean you gotta, I gotta, you gotta give jazz props. But yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Uh just like yeah, it's been fifty years and the amount of cultural change that has occurred as a result, I think is really mind blowing. And I know, like when we were talking, like how do we even talk, like, you know, because they're saying, like, you know, people the network, like you want to do like a fiftieth anniversary hip hop thing. We're like, yeah, for sure, but what what what's important to us?
Speaker 4: I think in terms of talk about hip hop?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously there's plenty of podcasts you could listen to that'll give you beat for beat, like the you know, historical timeline of hip hop. But I know, like when we were talking about this, there's so many things that come through my mind, whether it's like capitalism or black liberation or just joy from having an art form or genre of music that energizes you. I was like, I don't know if we can just talk about one thing. So I don't know where do you want to start? Do you want to talk about man broadly? How like everyone's entry point into hip hop? Everyone's like what the best or and worst things had been the hip hop have given to you? Because I have definitely I have my experiences run the gamut. And not to say that I feel like hip hop has inherently done anything negative to me, but I will say being a teenager and looking up to artists uh in New York City who had a completely different lifestyle than I did, definitely led me into some interesting places as a kid.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I do think like this is one of those topics when you guys had me on there, like there's well, you guys said that you know to come on on this like I've never needed less prep for a pot, right, like you know, And I'm like, really, you know, in some ways, like trying not to like dominate the convo, because like there's I don't know if there's there's there's not many more things I'm more passionate about than like what hip hop is, what it's meant to the world. And even you bringing up jazz is like the just the compare, even just the comparison of just like the the ingredients that jazz came out of are almost the same as hip hop, you know, whether it was economic, geopolitical, like it still sits in that sort of like you know, if you bringing up the Bronx, it's like, well, yeah, like if y'all watched Warriors, like the movie, you know what I'm saying, It's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, they there was a blackout in the Bronx and there were slum lords who were destroying buildings. That's why you had the rumble rubble kings. That's why it looked like a hellscape because the landlords would rather destroy their buildings, you know, and get the insurance rather than make livable sort of conditions for these people. And on top of those rubble kids, you know, black and Puerto Rican kids through parties, right right right, you know what I'm saying. And I'm like, well, y'all's economic you know, racist economic practices gave us this the same with jazz y' I'm saying, like y'all's racist economic things pushed us over into this corner and we created brilliance out of it.
Speaker 2: Right, It's what's I guess, just broadly, Jack, what's what is the best thing that hip hop has given you?
Speaker 1: I mean again, like very hard, very very like broad question is probably the art form that was the first thing that was like that. I was my own, I guess, you know, like I didn't know anybody like I was. I was living in the suburbs of Dayton, Ohio when I really started getting into wrap. Obviously, at first my first introduction was MC Hammer Police Hammer, Don't Hurt Them, right, And then my parents didn't let me buy the parental advice albums like because that as a yeah, like you know, they I would like through os Moses pick up like R rated movies or you know, they'd be on HBO or like you know, my friends would rent them at their house. So I was able to see those, but like I couldn't break through because that like you were never just incidentally like picking it up. You would either have to steal it, or like one time I went to the record store with like my friend whose parents let them get it, and I bought. And this is what I thought was edgy at the time, naughty by nature. I was like, yes, I finally coughed, and then I turned the sleeve inside out inside the tape cover so that the smart rental advisory thing wasn't on the front, right smart, But yeah, and then you know, once I was able to like make purchases and like buy everything I wanted to do, like Wu Tang was. You know, ninety three to ninety seven was probably the best like fan experience I ever had, Like best cultural spearents I ever had, Like it was the first brand I was like super loyal to. I add every single album cover as a poster on my wall. Every time a solo album would come out, I would like add that poster the you know, I didn't have the new Harry Potter drop as the thing I camped out for, but I still remember like going to the mall the day Wu Tang Forever dropped and like there being a line and like playing it in the car on the way home with my friend and just and it delivered, you know, like I loved that album.
Speaker 2: I have my cousin buy me that album because I was like, you know, I was thirteen when that came out, and I looked like a kid, and my cousin was older and he's Japanese and we were like I think we were in New Jersey. I forget why, and we went to the record so I'm like, hey, you got to give me the Wu Tang album and he's like what. He's like, oh okay. He's like cause they're not going to ask you, like they're not going to press you about being a kid, because I was like, they're going to sell it to me. And I remember this black woman was checking them out. He brought the fucking CD to the counter. She looked at him, she goes, you like Wu Tang straight up, and he got so nervous, even though it wasn't like are you of age, It's just like she felt like she's like what's oh. She's like, okay, your dad He's like he's like, oh yeah, yeah I do.
Speaker 3: She's like okay, all right, Like yeah, he goes yeah, they're nothing to fuk with.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, He's like, I mean they are for the children.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm not sure if you've heard, but for the children, man, yeah, just generally, I think it was the coolest thing I had a chance to be a part of. Like, like you know, once it broke mainstream, it was definitely like it was outsider art. It bonded me with my older sister who was like way cooler than me, but like, you know, something to huh, what was your sister listening to? She was listening to like everything. I mean at that time she was hanging with like some straight edge people who listened to raps. So I forget specifically, but they made me a mixtape that I bet that's where that two thousand song. Actually, no, those ninety five, so it would have been well before that, but like, yeah, there's still songs I recognize from that that. You know, we we didn't like have the albums, but we have like mixtapes, right, that's not when. Yeah, And then like she taught me like prep was a bad word, you know, she was like, you're not dressing like a prep are you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I love it?
Speaker 2: Take them dockers off, homie, yeah, prop what about you? I mean I can only imagine what you would say, Well, it is done for you? Uh yeah, life. It's given you the experiences of you had. But what what what's man? How do you I mean, how do you summarize that?
Speaker 3: It's yeah, you're right, it's so hard to summarize, Like you know, I'm I it sounds so cliche. It's on a T shirt, you know, but truly I can say, like, yeah, hip hop saved my life, like in so in so many ways, in so many levels. Like I mean, yeah, I've been a professional rapper for you know, so long, but like I mean, I saw the world like hip hop took me across the world. I met my wife because of hip hop, you know me, and like you know, just my my friend networks to this day, like just everything, like it gave me so much. Why didn't gang bang? It's like you you know, I'm I'm in the age range that Jack is, but it was all happening here for me. So you know, weird, you know, going you know, you're eight nine years old, breaking and Breaking two comes out, you know, And but I could go to Venice, you know, so you go to Venice Beach and you like, I don't know what these crips and bloods is talking about. I mean that seems I mean, it's cool and everything, but that dude just spun on his head right right, and I don't there's that is the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life, right, whatever that is, you know what I'm saying. So like, you know, yeah exactly, I exactly. I was like, look what you're talking. I cut and I'm like, look that mirror you job by the I remember like going from my house and my grandmother's house. My grandmother, my grandmother took care of us, you know, all of our cousins and stuff, and like you'd have to cross where the ten and the one on one met over at the La River, right right right by Alamita. So that's where all the big graffiti stuff was at. You can't. You're like if you're a single digit age and you're seeing that as you that's like it's like this is larger than life, Like.
Speaker 1: We who did that?
Speaker 3: Who got to paint that? You know what I mean? I was like, I it just I still remember just the feeling of like I want to be a part of this, you know. Yeah, the clandestine again, the clandestine missions to like fat Beats when you know, taste was coming out, catching the bust to Melrose. You know what I'm saying to h to get to fat beats. You know what I'm saying that.
Speaker 4: Like you know it was or something.
Speaker 3: Yet hey, seriously, and that's actually a fly story. This front tooth right here, this chip tooth. Taboo did that. You know it was an accident, you know, because you need taboo used to dance.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh well I saw that all the time, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Because I was remember.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm missing this moment.
Speaker 3: See a star right here, bro, No, but yeah, but you see these guys that now it's like, you know, I'm a preteen while they're you know, in their twenties and they're creating this culture. You feel me that like I'm too young for like Radiotron and all that stuff. I'm old enough for like Unity Project blow or too young for you but old enough to go to it. So you see, you see dilated peoples when they're teenagers. You see you know, the far side. You see this stuff happening. Dass corrupt snoop, you see it happening. But they're the big kids, you know what I mean. And you're like, I just whatever that is, I want to be a part of it, and you just so like honestly that that's if it wasn't for graffiti, Like if it wasn't to find another tribe. You know again, I'm from the inner city, Like you find another tribe, that's not if you're not slaying drugs, you not gangbanging, you're not like a you know, I was a late bloomer, Like I didn't grow a mustache till college, So I wasn't I wasn't playing basketball, you know what I'm saying. Like, so, but I found my tribe, you know what I'm saying. And with that tribe, you could be a little more open minded. I could go kick with the skaters, like I could go to Dogtown, you know what I'm saying. Because we had hip hop, you know, in common. You feel me like I didn't have to like stay on the block and you know what I'm saying, and like be hard and stuff like that, Like you just I could be created it all, be artist. Yeah, she's just so you Yeah, So I'm like, I mean, obviously I could gush about hip hop forever, but ultimately, like if I were to solidify it is like, yeah, like it gave me a place to be you know that got me through you know, all this stuff that everybody knows about the inner cities in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Right right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: For me, like, you know, being biracial and growing up in the San Fernando Valley, it's not like obviously I have my whole black family and extended family that I was able to derive my own sense of blackness from. But also when you are but they all lived on the other side of the city, like in South La. Yeah, yeah, and so being there, like unless I was on the weekends every day at school, it's like me and like maybe a couple other black and brown kids at school, I didn't have a lot of my sense of like my racial identity was a little bit stunted because a lot of the communities I were in weren't necessarily looking like me or had the same existential stakes as I did. And I think rap was one of those like those first mainstream forms of media that was speaking just just pure unadulterated like blackness, like into my ears and also understanding things like the idea like you know, getting into more conscious rappers and actually understanding like hearing through hip hop. It really actually helped me make sense of like white supremacy or racism, police violence and things like that, because I wasn't experiencing them firsthand, but I knew based on everything my relatives say, well, my father would say, well, my grandfather would say about how they grew up, what their experiences were, that there was I needed a way to sort of, I don't know, I guess connect to it. Yeah, And again helped me a feel like it's okay that I might feel like the odd kid out or whatever or good to whatever it is, because there is this much larger world where people are being able to like vocalize something about a struggle that is like being black or brown or just in general poor in America, and I think those things are all very interesting. They helped me like kind of take it, not take it so much for granted. Like in the beginning, I would just love, like I love, you know, all the bad boys shit and like the bling bling air and things like that. And then when like black on both sides by most Deaf came out in nineteen ninety nine, I was like in eighth grade and that's when like shit started like opening up and I was like, oh my god, yes, this is like I've finally finding things that are articulating a lot of deep down injustices that I'm like that I'm observing and couldn't quite articulate. So in that sense, like that was one of the greatest things to happen, is to really get me to see the world differently but also understand like where I fit into the larger context of it all and like what my place was in it and that and for me, that's always and again like to your point, that's always given me community because when I was in high school, I was a DJ, and I would like, you know, fancy myself a freestyle rapper every now and then if I got drunk enough, and that made immediately gave me community with all the Filipino kids who are the breakers and the DJs and stuff like that. And then I could go and again like to your point, you could go, you could you could enter a lot of different spaces because at that point in the early two thousands, hip hop was so pervasive, like it was kind of shorthand for a lot of people to be like, yeah, this is our cultural common ground. So yeah, that also again helped me connect to a lot more people that I didn't because then even then I would look at kids who were like I like fucking limp biscuit or whatever, and then like some yeah, yeah, it's almost got like yo, like you heard of mac dre and I'm like you're white though, Yeah, okay, okay, what's up?
Speaker 3: Then yeah, tell me more? Yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Or like my friends, like my friend, like my my Homiechris, his older brother Ryan, like the whitest dude you know, but he was so into Wu Tang at the time. We were like, yo, Ryan, fuck's Wu Tang and like we're fucking nine, you know what I mean. And we're like real, we fuck with Wu Tang now too, but not really realizing like later on you're.
Speaker 1: Like, wow, what was his entry point into Wu Tang?
Speaker 2: But I get that it's all different, but again it's just immediately created this like understanding too. So yeah, in that sense, that's why i've you know, like i've I credit me being more interested in music and making music and being involved with like more music stuff is all. It all just really comes from that and finding like an art form that felt like it was truly like speaking to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So on the on the question of like what because we did this thought experiment last week with Adam talking about like if Hollywood had never been unionized, like and I think we landed out, like film looks a lot different, TV looks a lot different. So with this one's obviously a lot harder to imagine a world where hip hop had never been invented. I do think like it seems inevitable in the past tense but like just how absolutely like perfect it was for the moment and for the past fifty years of culture, Like it fully embodies like all the thing like postmodernism, where like it just takes from the rest of the world ingests it and like creates new art that is like perfect and constantly evolving, and like you know, resists kind of being co opted, but then still ultimately is co opted. So like it works like in the same way that we talk about like capitalism as being this like living, breathing entity, Like it feels like hip hop is this both like part of that but also like kind of a response to it, and like I don't know better than it in some in some instance and says like better at doing the thing that capitalism aims to do. So like I think it's inevitable. I don't think it's it would have inevitably been as perfect and brilliant as it ended up being. And like, I just like I kept thinking of Dick Cabot for whatever reason when we were talking about what pop culture like Dick Cabot, and like the people in the seventies have you ever seen, Like I didn't know who Dick cabb was until he started like making the rounds in like viral videos where people are like, look how high David Bowie is in this interview, and it's like him talking to Dick Cabot, right, And Dick Cabot is just this like skinny white dude with his like hair combed to the side, and he's like in a suit, and his way of talking is just so like I don't know, like sexless and upper crust and like he's never been on any street anywhere, like he's never been wet before or something like. It's just like it just like like thinking about that like made me think back to like the seventies was really a fucked up time where I feel like white, straight white men had had just complete unaccountable cultural power for like way too long and sudden they like made it cool to look like Burt Reynolds and like the beauty standards for women, like women like started like that was when like Brookshields became a sex symbol, like in the late seventies, like when she was like thirteen or like twelve, Like it was just it was like this really toxic, fucked up thing. So like I don't I don't know where that would have gone, but it feels like hip hop came through and at least partially was an antibody and was like, Okay, we need to relieve straight white men of some of this power to decide what is cool and what is sexy and what like people should wear and talk like because they are fucking up, like so bad Smoky in the bandit is number one at the box office. We need to we need to do something.
Speaker 4: Something must be done.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I'd like taking your thought experience. Like I think about in our home when both my parents were My parents split when I started high school, but like before that, you know, my dad was the like the former revolutionary. You know, I said all the time, my father was a black panther. So it was just all he was all about, you know, unity among suffering people everywhere. My mom, you know, was the like she's from the hood, but she you know, had a radical like Christian conversion, you know what I'm saying. But she's still from the city, so she still had a little street about her, but was really more about like my soul and like it might be being like, you know, influenced by the wrong things my father because of like you said, like the type of hip hop I was drawn to really young, was like the yeah, the self destructions and that we're all in the same game. The really stuff that's about like you know, even just like the tribe call quest and the poor righteous teachers, the stuff that was just about this like black excellence, you know what I'm saying this, and like you said, like the struggle against you know, oppression. So to your point, like him coming from the time of the revolution, like Marvin Gaye's what's going on?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I didn't, I got it. But that was my parents' music, you know what I'm saying. Like the hip hop was a way in some ways for my dad to like be able to have an inroad into transferring you know, the torch the mission down to me because of the hip hop I like, now granted, you know, I had same as you. I had like the list of rappers I wasn't allowed to buy tapes for, you know, the NWA's and the IC I wouldn't allowed to have. Ohs, I remember we had a list on refrigerator of course. But same thing. My sister six years older than me, she was part of like a house party like dancing crew, like totally like like the house party movies. Right, that's my sister. Like she was that age and she was doing that, you know what I'm saying. And her friends was bringing tapes in when I was like third and fourth grade. You know what I'm saying. You know, get getting access to this stuff. But either way, I think, like you said, like a way for this my dad to be able to be like, yo, this is the movement, and him having the wherewithal to be like what if my son is you know what I'm saying, being drawn to this, you know, this thing that we've created. He's like, I don't have to like it. He's like, I like some of it, but he's like, you know what I'm saying, Like, but let me be a part of this. So I think to your point, like hip hop became in some ways the continual voice of resistance that was happening with the generation before us. But just like the generation before us in the generation before them, Like you said, the Empire always strikes, you know what I'm saying, So like there was all always going to be, you know, a money making version that, if we're not careful, was going to envelop the whole thing I brought up on the text thread, like Rappers Delight, you know, being a hip a hup, a hippie to the hippie to hip hop. People believing that that was like the first rap song, Well that was seven years later, you know what I'm saying. And not only was it seven years later, the Cold Crush. The guys that were in that group were the Cold Crush brothers bodyguards and some lady was starting a rap group for their record label and they were auditioning people and the dude was like, hey, grand Master Cast, can you write me a rap? And guys like sure, I guess. So he wrote them a rap and that rap became Raper's Delight, and they're the megastars and hits. Because the Empire always strikes, you know what I'm saying. But that being said, I think, yeah, like I don't know what would have been our sort of entry into the continuation of feeling like you're a part of this longer heritage of like the black and brown experience, you know, without us creating our own version of that, whether it was djaying, because I remember, if there's no hip hop, there's no DJs like that. So there's so much you know, there's no streetwear, there's no like so much missing.
Speaker 2: That's more than just rap music, right, That's why I feel like it's more than like if there was a world without it. I feel like more if anything just be delayed because I think hip hop is inevitable and like to your point right about you know, you talk about before there was fuck the police or fight the power, there was like say aloud, I'm black and I'm proud exacts James Brown, or you have Spy Stone and you have the Black Panthers and you look at digital underground like Moneybe his parents were Panthers, Tupac comes from, Like there's like that's a very I think I was, And I wrote that in my notes about like it is a continuation, and it was just like it's no surprise that a lot of these people come from that tradition, and that was sort of the earliest way to articulate the struggles of the community, talking about like pervasive police power or you know, the prison industrial complex. That was just the new vocabulary to use to to be able to talk about that and express that. So like, yeah, in a way, like I feel like it's inevitable and maybe could have only been delayed because that's that was just unfortunately, that's the momentum of our society was always sort of marginalizing people. And yeah, it turned out that a block party.
Speaker 4: Gave us all this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think, yeah, it's really no surprise, that's what I think. It's also important, you got to California also has a huge part in hip hop because particularly the Bay because that's what the blank Like, you think of how many people from the Black Panther Party come out of the Bay Area. You think sly Stone comes out of the Bay Area, and how many people reference sly also as an influence and even his time as a DJ, he had that swag was kind of like early rapping.
Speaker 3: You know, all of our slang, almost all of our slang come from the Bay Yeah, almost all of it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so it is wild when you look again that even in a way that we talk about the Bronx or we talk about California whatever, that's what makes it feel like inevitable. It's not so much that obviously, Like if you want to find a way that like it really began, we can we can talk about those links to New York. But again, it was just I think cultural momentum that just basically came through and just said, Okay, here's a new way of doing everything we've been doing.
Speaker 3: There's a beauty in like, you know, even it being even just the regional expressions you know of how hip hop kind of came came to be what it is and what Southern music sounds like. You know what I'm saying, Like my homeboy says, like the way he explains it to me is like the type of like la underground stuff like see that as like jazz, but like the Southern stuff like that's blues. Like it just feels right, you know what I'm saying, you know, all white me down, Like it just feels right, you feel me Like they're not words, doesn't have to be words, you know what I'm saying. It's just the tall white t's you know what I'm saying, Like that it just comes from that mud that soil that Memphis because that's where the blues was from. So their kids are gonna sound like that, you know what I'm saying. Just the fact, Like I think it's very important to remember that, like hip hop is not just rapping, you know what I mean. Like the why we used records was because they're our schools didn't have music programs, so like, you know, we had to create music with what we had, you know what I'm saying. So like and that's what they did out here in the West. It was like, yeah, we had all the you know, the g funk stuff, you know what I'm saying, all the all the funk cadelic stuff because we were outside. It was a nice day outside, so you went out, you roll skated, you was on the beach, you know. So our music just sounded different that region. And I love that, like hip hop was always able to to provide that palette for you to map your experience and your culture on. And which always makes me mad for like all heads that are like these young niggas is weird, you know what I'm saying, Like I get mad at that like that's not real. You know what I'm saying. I'm like, man, like, yeah, exactly, Como these grapes weapon Like okay, guys like.
Speaker 2: Rock Kim is the gold, I will hear nothing less.
Speaker 3: It's like ro okay, Like that's your thing, you know what I'm saying. Like so when like you know, when you like you, you Miles, you at an age of like the Cali Swag Unit, you know what I'm saying. Like, so when they was you know, that's your that's your age what I'm saying. So the cool kids and the uh you know in the jerkin you're a jerky Yeah yeah, all the Pac divs and stuff like that, Like that's that's what they did. They took what they took, what was they were exposed to, and they made something they own, you know what I'm saying. So even with the mumbo stuff, Like I'm not the disciple dude to be like I'm not going to ride in my car with it, but I get it, like they they took what they had and they made it their own. And I just think that, like you said, it's inevitable you're going to make treasure out of whatever you was given.
Speaker 4: Right, right, because that is the process of it all.
Speaker 2: It's like you take what's left over, what you have access to, and can you just turn that into something like because one thing that I always think about, too, is like how pervasive hip hop is? You know, like, obviously it's an American art form, but now it's I'd be hard pressed to think about country where it does not exist, And I don't know how many genres of music you can actually say that, and even if you think too, like what's really interesting even in America? Right, Like I think numerically most of the consumers of hip hop are white people, because.
Speaker 4: That's it, that's just what it is.
Speaker 2: But I'm always curious to think about what makes it so attractive. Now I get why, Like I can see how for oppressed people in any country, this hip hop is a way it's one of the few genres or it's like it's articulating struggle, it's articulating like trying to move towards liberation whatever however it's defined. So I see that appeal there, and but then eventually that turns into a thing that some more like authoritarian states consider like subversive art because they're giving voice to something that a lot of people are feeling, but in a way that is just very like easily replicated and very shareable, you know. And I think that's just a huge aspect of it that, like I mean credit to like what it is as an art form, because it doesn't necessarily have to be like it's black people or people from the inner cities in America doing this. It's also here is a here's a here's a set of ideas in aesthetic yeah, to express you know, a struggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's perfectly built as like a foil to capitalism almost in the sense that, like the way capitalism operates is it consumes and appropriates everything and ends up destroying it, right or like making it uncol hip hop consumes and turns everything into art and gets consumed by capitalism, but then it always changes to something new that capitalism then come for. But then by the time it gets to it, it's always changed to something new. So I think like part of the appeal is just that it it doesn't ever fully get bogged down because it always becomes something new that capitalism like just kind of by the ethos of hip hop. It feels like that is what it's seen as true. Hip hop is not the stuff that is made year like decades into a certain style being popular, like now drill is popular, Like but like you can think about like the way drill was, like it was a Chicago thing. Then like a bunch of producers in London started making beats, but then like people in New York started like wrapping over those beats in a matter of like three weeks. All that shit can't seem like yeah, like and that's the now like probably considered washed, but it's the that changes and like there's a new form of authenticity. But I am curious like from here, like you talked about it's popularity and other countries, and it's also like frequently banned in other countries. And I'm just wondering, like will there ever be the moment when like hip hop becomes like the sound of a revolution that likes it like actually overtly resists capitalism in some way, like it feels like the natural weapon for that, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I think there's like there's always this discussion because you lay you have these like concentric sort of intersections, if you will, whether it's resistance commerce, you know, capitalism, liberation, peace, love, unity and having fun if you ask like karas One, you know what I'm saying. So you have all these concentric things laying on there, and then there's this discussion where you have you know, hip hop's still only it's fifty but it's only fifty, so meaning we've we ain't. We only got one bono and the closest of that is jay Z, you know what I'm saying. That's like Hove is the closest thing we have to a bono and the closest thing we have of someone becoming a politicians killer Mike, you know what I mean. Like, so in fifty years, we only got two dudes that actually grew up, you know what I'm saying, and became something more transcendent. And both of them, and this is a critique that people haven't in hip hop, both of their solutions to liberation is just black capitalism. Yeah, you know what I'm saying is just you know, own your own businesses to support black banks. Only put your money here, you know what I'm saying. So it's like there's this like discussion around that, and then you have dudes like you know, you're Chuck D's of the world, that are like, nah, burn it all down, you know what I mean. So you know in dead Press it's like, yo, burn it all down, but dead Press still wants you to buy a fifty dollars ticket to their concert, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So there's this like there's a tension.
Speaker 3: There's this tension that is a microcosm. I think of movements everywhere, you know what I mean, where it's like well, like you said, hip hop being or not hip hop capitalism being so pervasive and so just swallowed earth in a way that like I don't know if any of us can amat and even like you go back to like old like the old, old, old old old, like you know, Cowboy and like check yourself for you wreck yourself rapping like they were talking about their Coop de Vils and like you know, they rolling down, you know what I mean. Nate Dan Gather there the projects, that stuff is imaginary, like they're imagining all the big chains and stuff like that. So like that's what hip hop was. He's big rope chains. That's capitalism. I got money now, you know what I'm saying. That's because we was po, you know what I'm saying. So like, yeah, liberation of them meant not being poor anymore. So there's just this like I don't know, man.
Speaker 2: Also there's a dark side, right because all that doochie chain stuff all comes from just rappers want to look like the drug dealers.
Speaker 4: They just want to look Callian drug dealers know less.
Speaker 2: And there's such a bizarre like fun house mirror like being aimed at each other thing that like reflects back and like it's it is always like it's a very complex interconnected system in that way.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and even to that point, I'm sorry, let me, I try not to dominate, but even to that point, like there's even a discussion that like our version of venture capitalism is drug dealing. Like it's like you get your money, I don't want. I can't go to these white bank as you said, the supremacy. I can't go to these traditional I can't go to the white bank. So that's why rappers are always like yo, I used to be in the streets. Now I do this because that was their version of like investment capital. So it's still just like you said, this fun house mirror, because we're still just street dudes, you know what I'm saying. And with the street dudes thing. There's still the homophobia, there's still the misogyny, There's still all these things that like are mirrors of stuff that we just need to deal with period. That just to your question, Jack, Like, I honestly don't know if it'll ever fully be that liberate liberation sort of thing you're asking. But also part of the protest is the joy, like the party, you know what I'm saying to turning up, That is part of the protest is like despite what we're going through, we're goinna turn up, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, like no name is somebody who's like interesting and has like kind of socialist politics and makes really cool music, and she has an album coming out August eleventh, so I'll be look yeah that I.
Speaker 2: Mean, there's no shortage of those like artists either, you know, And I think that's why it that's the beauty of it. And the kind of sort of dark part too, is like you can kind of there's.
Speaker 4: It's all encompassing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like that point about Jay, Like it's funny because I remember when he said that He's like I feel like people are using capitalists as a slur.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sir, now, but I can be changed quickly. I mean things changed on them real quickly. Yeah, on all of real So yeah, yeah, well probably. I mean I love to have you on for a ten hour episode where we just talked about this.
Speaker 2: I know I do actually have a question because you did bring it up. And this is something I always think about is a lot of people who from the old school, they are have a liberation mindset, right, and I think for a lot of people who are a little more their head is in the space of like black liberation, liberating like working people, all that, and being as inclusive as possible. At what point do you think it could hip hop not that it would completely sort of divorce itself from a lot of like the misogynistic or sort of like problematic aspects of it, because I don't know, part of me, like I always think of when people talk about it, I say, I think, on one hand, it's reflecting an experience of a person and they're speaking from that experience.
Speaker 4: Other times it does.
Speaker 2: Feel egregious, it feels excessive, it doesn't further anything artistically, And I wonder if if it's so ingrained that it's at a certain point like will like the most popping artists be the ones who actually aren't calling women bitches or hoes or saying something different. And I wonder if if that's also another hurdle that like mainstream hip hop, like you know, can't it cross that barrier. And that's something always think about all the time, because that that does feel like something I wish people were more conscious of, because it does affect everything around us, especially with you know, like ho misogyny especially affects like, you know, women of color, and that feels like antithetical to kind of the reasons why you want to you know, like you want to be liberated and do those Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nah, it's weird, man. I think that that sort of contradiction even sits in when you think of like the albums the rap albums of the Year that the Grammys are choosing. I mean, they're choosing nas, they're choosing to five nine, they're choosing Smoke. They're choosing these artists that are saying important things. But those aren't the number one songs on the radio. Matter of fact, a lot of those songs aren't on the radio at all. You know who's on the issues He already yeah, he got his thing too, you know what I'm saying. So there's this weird yeah, like what is what are the labels and radio pushing? You know? What are the kids wanting? And are really the kids just wanting this because they're getting it from the radio, you know, versus what the industry if you will, the gatekeepers, if you will, what are they rewarding because you take somebody like NBA Chappa who like he's blacklisted, but is the behind Drake is the highest streaming artists, you know what I'm saying. So like, even no matter what the industry does, if this what the streets want, this what the streets want, you know what I'm saying. So I just I wonder if it's like, yeah, is this it's not so much a hip hop thing but a conversation of who are who do we want to be as a people? You know what I'm saying. And then, like you said, the art reflects that. So it's like the market, I asked the other other X factor, The market don't care. The Market's like what y'all want?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, here, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying, Like, market don't care? Yeah, what's popping right now? Okay? Give them twenty more of that, you know what I'm saying, And yeah, udalism comes in, That's what capitalism comes in. So like, man, I think hip hop's gonna go the way that in my mind I look at like metal and rock to where it's like it evolves into these other things and we can a we could become the dudes in the basement, you know what I'm saying with our AC DC T shirts talking about Motorheads own the last real group, you know what I mean? Right, and then or we could just let it evolve, let it change, let it become what it is, and just kind of be proud of whatever iterations that they have and like and hope that we're teaching these young brothers, these young girls to like be different in the world. Do you feel me? Because yeah, Like like to this day, like I throw which was probably gonna be my plug, Like I throw this party every first Sunday in Long Beach, and when it ain't no fun comes on. I mean, don't one hundred and fifty two hundred people when men women till everybody's singing it, you know what I'm saying, Like, I don't it and then you have to stop the song and be like, hey, listen, nobody really say this. Don't actually say this to anyone, like these are exactly these are not okay words in real life.
Speaker 2: It's wild when the whole party goes up going when I met that baby, right, we opened your gap and you're right, heah.
Speaker 3: You even licked my balls like that's in the song. Or would we be like, yo, what's my favorite word? Bitch the whole party and you're like, don't really call nobody that though, Like, don't actually say that to nobody, But like, I don't know, is it well?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, And I get again, I don't mean to say that this is even exclusively something that's happening hip hop, because again, every art form is going to reflect back what is happening in society on some levels. So like, I'm not trying to pin all of our ills on hip hop at all, but I'm just trying to think of like because to your point, it is evolving now and we see more like LGBTQ rappers coming in the game starting to chart, or you know, like female identifying rappers, if just it that already is evolving because again, all those groups also have their own sets of struggles and oppression that they're dealing with and it so it shouldn't be a surprise that naturally the language of hip hop would migrate.
Speaker 4: To those places.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I feel like I'm always excited me too, because for every like SoundCloud rapper, I'm like, come on, y'all, this is not good music. There is some forward thinking or kind of trippy artists who's like, yeah, I kind of take these kinds like I'm kind of doing like emo rap, like I'm fusing emo with rap, and I'm like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Dude, do it do you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, exact totally with it, saying I never want to be that because I feel like that's you just put it. You put an expiration date on You might as well just go buy your Dockers and your in your new Balance, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Your T shirt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just give up. Yeah, just give up the day you just put an expiration date. Whenever you start being like he's young. I don't like none of this young rap, but I'm like, oh, it's not for you. It's fine. Let them have it. That's dope. Be excited for them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Be a o G.
Speaker 3: Don't be a oh yead be a O G.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, true, that's facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we've we've definitely met people Jack, We've met people who are like, yeah, you know, like the new stuff, not really messing with Bro that.
Speaker 3: Dude show up. They're still showing up in his like oversized throwback Jersey got his baseball cap cock just a little bit to the side, said I'm like, yeah, yeah, he's like, Yo, this is real hip hop. You see these jinkos now ranted. My daughter's wearing ginkos now, which is pretty cool to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but and that's not why he doing it. She's asking you if you have a four x tall T white condition can wear.
Speaker 3: Just relax the oversize fitted cat come on man, looking like fabulous in two thousand and one, like.
Speaker 2: No, I don't tie my do rag under here, I'll I'll let that blow on the wind.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Prop, we could honestly have you back on every day to talk about this. Such a pleasure having you. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could follow me all on like prop hip hop. Oh that's all my at mentions, you know, and that's my website. I do have one like plug for anybody in the LA area. Like I said, I do a party every speaking of hip hop, we're doing a fiftieth anniversary kind of celebration with y'all. Well you appreciate this with all the original mix masters from kJ LA the fifteen eighty one, so we're talking Battlect Julio g Like, whoa they originally Yeah, it's crazy. They're all coming. So Real Ones it's every first Sunday. So this one is August sixth in Long Beach. Go to club real Ones dot Com. Get you a ticket, Dude, It's gonna be super dope.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I throw it with the beach junkies. So like it'll be Icy Ice is there. You know DJ Curse is there. It's gonna be like Baker Boys are coming. Like it's gonna be like an incredible, incredible.
Speaker 1: Huh with Tita. Tito's coming.
Speaker 3: No, this is Tito.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be there.
Speaker 3: You think I'm kidding. Tito's gonna be there.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: From Tito Top four four, Title's four playing four.
Speaker 1: This is Tito in Las. All my girls they call me ross up yo. That was.
Speaker 3: Now now now okay let me now, he say, he come in now. Let me let me put that let me put that cat in. The Baker boys, Nick, Nick and Eric they pull up all the time, so they'll probably be there just because like because again it's the Mixed Masters, so they'll be there now. They last time they last time Eric came, he said Tito was coming. So let's I think this might be the weekend. But yeah, club real ones dot com, please come pull up on me and you guys to y'all too on this screen.
Speaker 4: Yes, please come.
Speaker 1: Okay, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bru, I mean every every name you said I got, I aged like ID aged.
Speaker 4: Five years yeah, as soon as you heard it, yep. Oh yeah, okay, cool amazing.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of work of media I've been enjoying. Okay, I'm almost like mourning too, like knowing, like all these shows I've been watching our ending and I'm like, well they're they're not returning now for a while, you know, because nobody's writing right now as it should be. But I think my favorite one is this tweet from my home boy, homeboy Toby Unwigway. He was like for Twitter, he was like, yeah, that X is the perfect symbol for Twitter. I was like, it just plays so well into just how unaware Elon is about it himself. Yeah, like you you are. I've never met someone so well. Obviously I've never met him, but like, I don't know anybody has that lacks that much self awareness? Are you calling it? X? And like you damn right? You know what I'm saying, Yes you are, Yes, you are X right.
Speaker 1: I was reading this thing about streetwear, like the a guy who's like the king of streetwear in the fashion community, Philippe Pleine or something Pleaan. He's like a German dude. But he was like interviewed and he was like I love underdog stories like I love Elon Musk and I just had to stop reading.
Speaker 3: I was so yeah, I can't talk no more.
Speaker 1: Then he was launching uh like pair of sneakers that he co designed with Snoop, and I was just like, fuck.
Speaker 3: Man, now I have to buy the shoes, damn it.
Speaker 4: That yeah, conflicted.
Speaker 1: Miles, Where can people find you? What's working media? You've been enjoyed?
Speaker 2: Just wherever there's at symbols at miles of gray, that's you know, threads too or you know.
Speaker 4: I actually I do thread things over whatever we call them. Yeah, yeah, yeah cool.
Speaker 2: Let's see a tweet that I like at Noah Garfinkle tweeted in this house. We believe that X is the coolest letter. Sixty nine is the funniest number. Paul Pelosi gade himself with a hammer, and memes can be a bank. It's a peak blue check Twitter out front signs.
Speaker 4: That you would have.
Speaker 1: Amazing tweet I've been enjoying is actually a screencap of a blue sky from truck Chris at truck Cris dot Yes best guy at dot Social uv Allde cops cowering behind their vehicle softly whispering. Try that in a small town. Oh You've dared me on X at Jack Underscore O'Brien and on threads at Jack Underscore, Oh Underscore, Brian love An Underscore. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at d daily Zekegeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes. So we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy Miles. What song do we think people might enjoy it?
Speaker 2: I think just you know, we were talking, we're talking about hip hop and Jack. You were trying to find that earworm, trying to figure out what that.
Speaker 1: Track was two thousand.
Speaker 2: Help of Zeigang, we realized it was Graandpool Bos nineteen ninety five hit two thousand in the title.
Speaker 4: The album with the same title two thousand. The album's called two thousand, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: So let's go out on that so people can actually understand where Jack was coming from. This is Grandpool Uba with two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, well, we'll link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio ap Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all that.
Speaker 4: Bye bye, yosis