Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio AH Final Hour in this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan That's Dan Patrick Show, come on in and stay a while. Talked to Mike Florio coming up. Got a few things to talk to him about. Carolina is not letting on who they're taking number one overall, even though Bryce Young is not going to any other teams to interview, including the Texans who are on the clock with the second pick in the draft. But we'll talk to Florio coming up. Celtics up too well on the Hawks, the artist formerly known as the Hawks. I watched last night. I thought that is not a good team and Trey Young, Trey Young, it feels like has not gotten better. Two years ago they were in the East Eastern Conference Finals. Nix and the Caves, Caves rupped up, rupped up, the that's still roughed up. The Knicks, Sons and Clippers tied at a game apiece. Draymond Green got suspended and that'll be for game three coming up tomorrow night. Damar Hamlin is coming back to play with the Bills, And I'll ask Florio about this. Are there any waivers here? Like, how do you have somebody come back sign off on that. But you also have a situation where it's highly unlikely that you could have this situation happen again. There's no evidence that survivors of commodio cortis are at a higher risk for other heart events. It's extremely unlikely that someone would suffer two instances of what Damar Hamlin experienced. And normally it happens with males between the age of four and eighteen, and about forty seven percent of those who suffer this condition or this incident. It's sports related and a lot of times you'll see that young baseball players will get hit in the chest and then you'll have this condition or this situation. And Damar Hamlin had a press conference yesterday and it was almost matter of factly that he says, I died on National TV.
Speaker 2: Not to sound cliche man, but the wild moment is every day just being able to wake up and just take deep breaths and live a peaceful life, to have a family, to have people around me that love me and that care about me, and for those people to still have me in their lives. You know, they almost lost me, Like I died on National TV in front of the whole world, you know what I mean. So I see it from all perspectives for them to still have me around and for me to still have them. You know, it's like it goes both ways.
Speaker 1: He died twice and he's gonna play football again. By the way, the overwhelming favored for Comeback Player of the Year, you know, Matthew Stafford is coming back from what it injured elbow or something. Lamar Jackson coming back from an injury, you know, obviously painful injuries, but it's kind of hard. I remember when I handed out. I was with Bill Murray and this was the SP's and we were handing out Comeback Player of the Year, come Back Athlete of the Year, and one of the nominees was Monica Sellis tennis player who got stabbed during a tournament. The winner was Michael Jordan coming back from baseball to play in the NBA, and Bill Murray. During the awards ceremony, it was like, Mike, Monica got stabbed, like, you know, and you won the the SB for Comeback Player of the Year, and Mike didn't even show up at the SP's. We had to we did a live interview with him at the SP's but Monica got stabbed. Yes, and be like if somebody says, wait, Damar Hamlin, he came back from being dead twice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but matthew s Diffen's elbow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, essentially, dad, Lamar Jackson. He couldn't even play in the playoffs. Yes, time, even if.
Speaker 4: You're Alex Smith, that would still pale in comparison as horrible as what Alas went through. It would probably go to tomorrow, Hamlin.
Speaker 1: I would think, yes, it would, yes, it would yes.
Speaker 5: Oh so like if we were doing an all time Comeback Player of the Year.
Speaker 1: Well he died right like that that Trump's everything.
Speaker 5: Death is really a broken leg.
Speaker 1: Not many guys, Yeah, I mean there have been tough guys.
Speaker 5: Question would you rather die or have a broken leg?
Speaker 3: Broke?
Speaker 1: Would you rather die and come back right or would you rather have a broken leg? So Jack Youngblood playing in the or t O.
Speaker 5: I gotta feel bad for Alex Smith now he had the greatest comeback he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is there a better comeback than coming back from the dead twice? I give you say, okay, once, maybe not? He did it it did it twice? Okay, better comeback Patriots twenty eight to three. I mean they were dead.
Speaker 5: They were dead, declared by many, declared by many.
Speaker 3: I'm still going paint.
Speaker 1: That's that's dark. That's that's dark.
Speaker 3: Okay. Uh, Seahawks on the one they were dead, that game was over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. But the tough game, Yeah, the tuck game.
Speaker 4: You know, they're all in the discussion. It's incentives that sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. I guess we can say it now because he lives, you know, but when you start talking about tough guys, I don't know if Morgan Baron is on your radar, but he should be. Morgan Baron is a hockey player plays for the Winnipeg Jets. He took a skate to his face last night. It required seventy five stitches. He came back to play in the game. He was injured in the first period, big scramble in front of the Golden Knight's net, and the skate cut the side of his face and he went to the locker room and he eventually came back. As one of his teammates says, it looked like he got attacked by a shark, but that would have been San Jose, right, Okay, all right, thank you two for that. Yeah, seventy five stitches seventy five, but he's a hockey player.
Speaker 3: That's many stitches that.
Speaker 1: I mean, how long would it take to stitch somebody up with seventy five stitches just normally and then to get them like there's no you know, hov lane or easy pass where you go, Hey, just do it real quick here, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at the game. He missed ten minutes of the first period, ten minutes of second period, and then the intermission. So that's what maximum forty five minutes of actually real time.
Speaker 6: So that's that's.
Speaker 1: Stitches per minute fast, right, Yes.
Speaker 4: You know some old hockey players gonna come for.
Speaker 1: Remember, Is that how they're gonna sound that we didn't even bother stitching up in our day? We just blood to death or we liked it fine. We we just put glue on there. We put super glue on there.
Speaker 3: That is a funny voice to use for that.
Speaker 1: You almost sound like, uh, you don't need blood, you don't need teeth to get back up?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Who's the old guy on the Simpsons? Is that not Smithers?
Speaker 3: Who's mister Burns?
Speaker 1: Is it mister Burns? He's the Smithers Smithers Smithers mix between that and the grandpa, Oh yeah, grandpa. I think it's grandpa there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, our hockey players naturally tough people?
Speaker 1: Or does the sport make it tough?
Speaker 5: Okay, what do you think it's which comes first?
Speaker 6: None of us?
Speaker 1: Why, I don't think you're born Are you born tough?
Speaker 4: Do you guys?
Speaker 5: Remember little kids in your neighborhood who would take more hits, jump more bikes over ramps. Yeah, and they're more inclined to go for football or hockey or something like that.
Speaker 1: But what comes first? Your hockey ability or your toughness to play the sport?
Speaker 3: I mean, they kind of happened at the same time, right, But.
Speaker 1: I it's almost like, if you're going into hockey, you know you're gonna get You're gonna lose some of your chicklets, you're gonna get some stitches that you know that. That's why I mean, you have to embrace the sport. But are they tougher than football players? Are they tougher than boxers? I mean when you're talking about because you can't get in the ring and not want to get hit, So you have to have that mindset that are you convincing yourself? Is your DNA part of that makeup that says, hey, I want to do that because I don't thing you can go in there and go damn, that hurts. I don't want to do that anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, it feels like as a sport too, hockey would weed out the people that.
Speaker 3: Aren't tough enough. I guess, or I can't hold up to that rigor.
Speaker 1: Right here is Morgan Baron after getting seventy five stitches on coming back.
Speaker 8: It's actually not bad. They did a great job stitching me up, and obviously it missed my eyes, so it was not It didn't get me in a really bad spot, but they did a gat job fixed me up.
Speaker 6: The boy.
Speaker 8: Trying to figure out if the puck went in because it's sitting pretty close, and then, uh, I don't know. Obviously I kind of saw the skate coming and just an unlucky play I think a little bit unfortunate. But like I said, but I think the first thought was that I could just see out of the eye, so it was the main thing.
Speaker 1: He makes it seem like you just had four stitches at seventy five and then went back to play. They are they have to be the toughest afthlete.
Speaker 5: Right, if you watch the video and no sound, Sabonis seems more injured the reaction. He kind of pats his eyes. He's a pool of blood going to the ice. He's like, oh, I need some help over.
Speaker 1: We're not sure casually, yeah, Sabonis, we're not sure if he's going to play in game three. This guy came back last night. He didn't even skate with a limb, right, I.
Speaker 4: Just wanted to see if the puck winning. Now I'm down a pint of.
Speaker 1: Blood, yeah, but only a pint. Yes.
Speaker 5: I've always had the belief that high end hockey players, maybe football players, at rugby, the real tough sports, there are certain people had the mentality where they enjoy hits, they enjoyed delivering them, they don't mind getting them, and the pain is almost like a badge of I could do stuff you can't do, like high end football players and high end hockey players. And I guess I throw rugby.
Speaker 1: With certain positions in football because I can't imagine Peyton Manning going man. I love to get hit, but Ray lew Us or Brian Urlocker probably go man. I love to hit people. Ronnie Lott, although I mean Ronnie Lott cut off the tip of his finger a choice, right, yes, yeah, because he had elective surgery nine and a half others, but he you know, maybe that's We've had a few moments there with football players with broken legs still playing, coming back playing in the Super Bowl. Cut off your your pinky yes me spot.
Speaker 4: With fighting and goons and slashing and all that going on and not and no rules to protect a quarterback like you have in the NFL, you kind of got to give the.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine a basketball player coming back after seventy five stitches? Let's say he was got injured first quarter, came back after half time.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean Paul Pierce came back after having so.
Speaker 1: And that's worse.
Speaker 4: That could be worse.
Speaker 3: Under cramps are a big problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Todd knows that.
Speaker 4: I do not underestimate that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many stitches carried off his legs, just the fact that they carried him like a feel chair. The Sharman I know, yeah, uh, what do you need? Do you need a bandages? No? No, no Sharman Sharman double double plot, yes, double have all that dairy right before the game starts, that's on, Yes, Marvin stitches, bubble guts, all the same thing.
Speaker 3: It's a rough life. Which would you rather have?
Speaker 1: Really? Make sure the big stall they sure the big stalls clear. Don't don't let big Perkin there before me.
Speaker 4: That mistake destroyed you see he came out running afterwards.
Speaker 1: Oh five pounds later, Okay, let's go man Kobe. Who. Yeah, Paul Pierce looks he looks slim that relief.
Speaker 3: Too, because he didn't think he's gonna make it.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, just in time. Could you imagine if you didn't make it.
Speaker 5: On a bass foot, were there wearing the white shorts of the green shorts.
Speaker 1: They would have been wearing the white the whole who. He doesn't camouflage that much either at all.
Speaker 4: He wasn't clenched. He was clenched, clenched.
Speaker 1: The NBA hands out the clutch Player of the Year, darreon Fox got it, the clinch Player of the Year. Paul Pierce would be Paul Pierce, the Paul Pierce clinch Player.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 4: Tight situation.
Speaker 1: He gets it done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd love to see what that trophy looks like.
Speaker 1: Is it two cheeks? AnyWho?
Speaker 3: How do we get there?
Speaker 1: I don't know, like most moments on this show, I'm not quite sure how we got from agency seating the pole question for the final hour, then we'll take a break here.
Speaker 3: Team sport that requires the most toughness.
Speaker 7: Righty, football, hockey, Rugby. I'm gonna throw lacrosse on there too. Lacrosse feels like you gotta be a tough guy to play that sport.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, but they get to wear gear, whereas rugby guys don't get to wear gear.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean they are the only ones that on the list that don't wear gear. Football, hockey and.
Speaker 1: Lacrosse they wear those like interesting helmets. Did you see where the NFL? I think they're going to approve a special helmet for quarterbacks this year, and then they have the new wonder lick. They don't. I don't think they're doing the Wonder lick anymore. What's the name of that test polling?
Speaker 5: It's called the S two and it's about decision making. It's not like an IQ test in any way. It's more about cognitive skills. Like if I put a red lights in a room, how long you you know, react to red turning green? And they test your reactionary skills.
Speaker 1: And Bryce Young tested off the charts.
Speaker 5: Yes, I don't even know what charts there are because it's a Brandon test. We're trying to get a hold of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll take a break. Mike Floria will join us. We'll get some more phone calls coming up. Final hour of the program. Back after this. P XG got my clubs. I've been banging balls on the simulator here and can't wait get out and actually get on a golf course. Here the new PXG golf clubs you can get fitted. And I would tell anybody this, if you get the opportunity to get fitted for clubs, you'll understand the difference instead of going in and just buying a set of clubs. Because at PXG they will fit the clubs two year golf swing and you'll lower your scores. You'll have a better time on the golf course. More importantly, but if you're curious just how good these clubs are, how they stack up against the clubs that you're using. Now, schedule fitting and see for yourself. PXG dot com. I switched eight four four PLAYPXG. PXG dot com they have the Gen six clubs that just came out. Also, they spent ten years working on a golf ball that just came out. They spare no expense, clubead designs, faster materials, technology, and they've got it all. Gen six the Great Golf Club from PXGPXG dot com. Nobody makes golf clubs the way they do period. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Intelligence runs in the family, Innovation runs in the family. Extraordinary runs in the family. We're talking about the Mercedes Benz family, their range of SUVs, every member waiting to impress. Learn more at MBUSA dot com. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Make way for Mike Florio, the propular co host of Pro Football Talk Live. He also has a new book coming out, Father of Mine. It's next Tuesday, and it's only four ninety nine. Mike is he's a best selling author. Of course, you know we had playmakers. Now I think he's branching out here. What's the theme of Father of Mine? Here?
Speaker 6: Mike Mob novel setback in nineteen seventy three. Dan in the setting is the town I grew up in, sixty miles from Pittsburgh, where the Mob was prevalent. My dad was actually a bookie who was connected to the Mob. But I will say this, there have been no omeritas violated in the crafting of this piece. I do not want to end up sleeping with the fishes or anything else that may be sleeping at the bottom of a body of water. So I think I'm covered there. I think everybody who was involved is dead now, so I won't be hopefully.
Speaker 1: What did you see growing up?
Speaker 6: I saw some wild stuff and I didn't think anything of it because it was normal to me. My dad had a bar and I would go in there from time to time, meet the different guys and always nice to you're eight, nine, ten years old, your little kid. But there were other places I'd go with my dad and just that mystery that smell the beer and the cigarettes and you're walking among the barstools. Bruce Springsteen explains it in his autobiography Going Into the World of Men. When You're a little kid. He used to have to go fetch his dad from the bar, and that's kind of what it was like. But as I got older and I would see newspaper accounts of what some of these guys that I used to see all the time allegedly or actually did. That's an eye opener. So, especially as I wrote this, I did some research about what that crew actually or allegedly did back in the day, and it's like, Man, there's some bad dudes that I probably would have run the other direction if I had only known back when I was eight, nine, ten years old what they were capable of.
Speaker 1: People get murdered.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, allegedly or actually or otherwise.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, so that's next Tuesday. Florio's book Father of Mine and only four ninety nine available wherever you get your books. Okay, a few things to talk to you about. Ian Rappaport had a tweet saying that the Niners are fielding calls for trey lance, What is the market for trey lance and what would he cost to get trey lance.
Speaker 6: First of all, when a report is made that a team is calls, we know it's coming from the team. The team wants it out there, and sometimes the truth is that the team is actually making the calls, but they are very careful to tell the reporter it's fielding, because you give up any leverage you have if you look desperate that you're making these calls. But dam it's obvious the ship is sailed. Trey Lance isn't the guy Rock Purty is, and the moment he's healthy, he's the starter. And I feel like Trey Lance, if he's there in San Francisco, he's going to be competing with Sam Donald for number two, not Purty for number one. So the market ultimately is what it is. What the forty nine ers learned the hard way. They were a little too stubborn with what they wanted for Jimmy Garoppolo. They kept their thumb on the scale. They ultimately weren't able to trade him. Now it worked out because they needed him when Trey Lance broke his ankle. But I think that what they need to do is see what happens first couple rounds of the draft, see where the quarterbacks go or don't go. And I don't know, do you get a second rounder next year? Do you get something condition based on whether he plays, how much he plays, some sort of a formula like what the Jets and Packers are trying to work out for Aaron Rodgers, but I don't think it's much, and they're going to push the idea. They're going to try to save some face, and they may end up not being able to get a deal done if they want more than what anyone is willing to give. Because what do you give for a guy who has played very little football, Daan in the last three years? Twenty twenty pandemic restricted the North Dakota State season, just like a couple of games didn't play in twenty one, hardly played in twenty two. What are you getting in a guy who's still fairly young but who hasn't played much football in three years.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Aaron Rodgers in the Jets, and I don't know if we're on the same page, but it feels like it might be Day two of the draft. Can the Jets hold off giving the first round pick this year and then say we'll give you a second round pick this year and then a first round next year to the Packers and then this is completed.
Speaker 6: I think the only thing they agree on for now, Dan is that the pick this year would be one of the two second rounders that Jets currently have back to back from the Elijah War trade to Cleveland. They've got back to back picks I think forty three and forty four. And the question is what do the Packers get in twenty twenty four, What do the Jets get in twenty twenty five if Aaron Rodgers were to retire after only one season. I think that's part of this equation as well. And because we're so close to the second day of the draft now, there's no reason for either side to move to their bottom line. Now, they wait until the last minute the plane lands, they find a way to make their two positions meet. And I've said the over under is six o'clock Eastern Friday the twenty eight. There's a chance they get it worked out late afternoon, just to be done. There's also a chance it happens when the pick in round two that's going to the Packers is actually on the clock, that the trade occurs during round two of the draft.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're on the same page that this first round pick for the Jets is not going to Green.
Speaker 6: Bay not going to Green Bay, Okay, but.
Speaker 1: It'll be a second round pick or maybe a couple of picks. But there has to be some kind of conditional language in here, as you mentioned with Rogers, because like I'd still have trepidation to find the Jets. This is the guy who said he was ninety percent retired before he went into the dark hole, and now you're going to give up a second round pick and then a first round pick or whatever it might be. But I'm going to guess that kind of language will be in this transaction.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, that's what the Jets are trying to protect themselves against it. And look, there's a chance that Aaron Rodgers wasn't telling the truth when he said he was ninety percent retired, because it's part of this broader narrative that I was just going to walk off into the sunset. I thought the packers wanted me back, and then I heard that they were shopping me, and that's when everything changed. It makes for a great story, regardless of whether or not it's true. This ninety percent thing may have just been him trying to fashion a greater myth than what reality would support. And the consequence is it's freaked out the Jets to the point where they're concerned he's going to be one and done in New York and when Tom Brady first joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, one of the greatest business objectives of ownership was make sure he comes back for another year. Make sure he comes back, and I think the Jets will bend over backwards to try to make sure there's a second year for Aaron Rodgers, and the Jets want that protection in twenty five in the event that Rogers is one and done. And who knows, we didn't expect Farv to be one and done with the Jets, and he was.
Speaker 1: The Damar Hamlin situation. He's already one comeback player of the year. If you come back from death twice, I'm guessing that you'll be the comeback player of the year. What kind of language will be in that contract? Is there an addendum to his contract with the Buffalo Bills with him coming back? I mean, how does the team protect itself?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that he's cleared, he's back, and he's playing on entering his third season, So it's not even as if they could do a new contract for tomorrow Hamlin. His existing contract is still in place. The question is, once he's physically cleared mentally, what's it gonna be like for him? To put his uniform on and go back out onto a football field. I don't even know how much he remembers about what happened. Maybe there is no PTSD or scarring of him that he would have to overcome. Because for the rest of us, when he walks out on the field, we're gonna we're gonna hold our breath. Every time he's involved in a tackle, We're gonna wait and make sure he's okay. I just think that's human nature. But given that it apparently is commodio cordis this very rare occasion of getting struck in the chest and your heart stops, And it happens to anybody, and it happens very infrequently. It's not some condition he has. It sounds like he's good to go. It really is amazing that we're less than four months from the thing happening and he is good to go, clean, bell of health, back on the bills, and they go forward.
Speaker 1: But Mike could sound strange to say this, but I'm more concerned for two a time Goa Aloa than I am Tamar Hamlet.
Speaker 6: I think you're absolutely right to be. So we talk of Aloa as a guy who is smaller than most quarterbacks. The physics aren't on his side. And what have we seen. We haven't seen him get drilled in the head by somebody who drops their helmet and hits a quarterback the way they used to. We see him get shoved at the ground, and what happens when he hits the ground, His helmet strikes the turf and he gets concussion. It happened at least two times. Most of us with common sense believe it happened three times last year, despite the official claim that it was a back injury. So he's working on falling the right way. He's studying jiu jitsu. It's one thing to study it, it's another thing to put it into practice when you're out on the field. That's what I'd be concerned about. I'm concerned about that for Bryce Young, He's going to be under two hundred pounds when he plays. Can he fall in a way that doesn't result in his head striking the turf and giving him a brain injury. I'm far more concerned about two of than I am DeMar Hamon.
Speaker 1: But aren't they development We're talking to Mike Florio Pro Football Talk. Are they developing a new helmet? Just quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's got a greater level of protection in the back of the helmet. So when that bone hits the ground, because that's what we see, the head snaps back and the bone hits what can they do to keep the brain from being injured. But you know, the bottom line, Dan is you can wear the best helmet in the world, but when your body is moving and suddenly stops, your brain bounces off the inside. There's nothing you can do about the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull. There's still going to be concussions in football, but you can reduce the severity of the blow that comes from the outside.
Speaker 1: Any bounce on Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 6: I don't think so, not after what we saw last year and this contract now. I'm still waiting for the deal to be officially done. Once it's done, we'll be able to look at the full details. We'll see what the true commitment is. And most importantly, when does the window open on the Eagles getting out of it if for some reason he regresses. Look at what Russell Wilson did last year or didn't do in Denver. The Broncos would love to be able to tear that up. They can't because of the way the contract is ructured. There's so many clues that come from the full details that tell us when the Eagles would be able to say, Whoop's got that wrong. We're going to move on. But there's no reason to think he's not going to get better. We saw a Josh Allen type jump from him last year, passing and running and leadership and everything the Eagles have been looking for since the moment they traded Donov McNabb to Washington on Easter Sunday of twenty ten. They've been searching, they've been hoping. They thought it was Carson Wentz, it wasn't Nick Foles, maybe it wasn't, and now they have it in Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 1: What's this mean for Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 6: Well, Dan, what I would do right now? We had a breakdown yesterday of the contract Jalen Hurts accepted and the offer that Lamar Jackson rejected in August, and just some of the data points, and we broke them all down. We talked about it earlier day on PFT Live as well. What I would do if I was Lamar Jackson first and foremost is hire an agent second, and he's not going to do that. I would get Odell Beckham Junior frankly to try to be the go between. Right now, there's a hybrid deal to be done between the deal that Lamar Jackson rejected last year and the deal that Jalen Hurts is doing this week, where you can slap the two together and you can come up with something that works for Lamar Jackson and Dan at some point, regardless of what anyone thinks about the whys and what's a play and what factors are being involved, at some point, Lamar Jackson's got to say yes. He's got to say yes to something. You have to look at what's out there. It's as good as it's going to get, and you just have to say yes and continue your career. And if you don't, your career doesn't continue. It's stuck in the mud until you finally say yes to something.
Speaker 1: But Mike, he would have already been what two years into his old contract, and then we would be two years later. Now you're into a new contract, and that's you're always going to be underpaid a couple of years or a year after you signed your contract in your mind.
Speaker 6: Right, But Dan, here's the bottom line, if he had done the deal that Josh Allen did two years ago. They were drafted the same year Alan did his contract after three seasons, and I remember when the word first broke of the Josh Allen contract, I said, I want to see that deal because when we see the details, it's either going to be the player or the team in Baltimore that wants to take that contract and make it the contract for Lamar Jackson. When I saw that deal, I said, Lamar Jackson should take this to the Ravens and say, just cross out the names, change them. This is my contract. And when you look at what Josh Allen has got the last two years and what Lamar Jackson has got, Josh Allen has made forty one million more than Lamar Jackson the last two years. And that's never coming back. I don't care what you get paid going forward, that forty one million is never coming back. Those days are done and over. You never get paid for what you've previously done. You only get paid for the future. So already he's forty one million behind Josh Allen and the question is how much worse is it going to get?
Speaker 1: The Panthers. GM says that Hanson told anybody who will be the number one pick, although Bryce Young has canceled all of his other trips elsewhere, which would lead me to believe I think the draft starts at too, because I don't know if the Texans are so on a quarterback. Here feels like Bryce Young is going number one overall. Correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it was a great point that our coordinating producer at PFT Live, Matt Case, he texted in while we were talking about it today because we played the sound of Scott Fitter or the GM of the Panthers talking about what they plan to do to put weight on Bryce Young, and the way he talked about it. When you listen to it, it sounds like it's not a hypothetical. It sounds like this is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: But do you think the Commissioner has said to Carolina just don't say anything here, Dan?
Speaker 6: I look at it this way. If they're not bashful about calling their broadcast partners and instructing them to tell their reporters to keep their mouths shut about anything they know about who the pictu are going going to be, they're probably not bascheful about telling the teams. Yeah, they want people to tune in from eight o'clock to eight twenty. They don't want people tuning in for the Texans pick. They want people to be there at eight o'clock thinking maybe there's a chance it's not going to be Bryce Young.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the text? Do you believe the draft starts at two?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean they could trade out of that spot. Obviously, they could trade down for a team that has plenty of needs. You know, if you're not talking about going down many picks and you pick up some extra significant draft capital, that goes a long way toward blowing the fact that they could have had the first overall pick if they just hadn't beaten the Colts in the fourth quarter of Week eighteen. So it's either quarterback, edge rusher or trade down. And you got to consider who their coach is now, Demiko Ryans. Where'd he come from San Francisco. Let's go back to what we already talked about Ryan's first year as defensive coordinator. They give up three ones and a three to get Trey Lance. How that work out? Second year, they take a flyer with the last pick in the draft on brock Purty. How that work out? What do you think Ryan's wants. Do you think Ryan's wants a guy who could be there, Nick Bosa in an edge rusher at number two, or does Ryans want to put all the eggs in a quarterback basket and have it possibly blow up on them, so he may be pushing defensive player to supercharge that side of the ball. You can get a quarter back later or and I always advocate this because in my mind, the draft is a lottery. The more lottery tickets you have, the better chance you have to get players that turn around, especially a bad team trade down if you can get more picks.
Speaker 1: Explain the new wonder lick or is it the new wonderlick? The S two test for players quarterbacks, Well.
Speaker 6: The S two test, as I understand, it is about cognitive ability in the heat of the moment, processing information when you're in that blender of factors. You think about everything a quarterback has to deal with pre snap, post snap, all the information about processing recall. And Bryce Young did really well on it, and the Panthers are big believers in it, specifically their owner David Tepper. So this is a way unique to quarterbacks when you are the one who is standing there where all that stuff's happening. Think about all the variables, which receivers open, who's blitzing? Can I trust my running back to pick this guy up? Who else is coming around? So they're using that now the wonderlick is worthless. This to the extent that there's a dotted line or a bright line connection helps teams understand how that guy's going to do when it's time to stand in there and decide where to throw the football.
Speaker 1: Always great to talk to you. He's Mike Florio in his new book about his h father who was a bookie and probably saw some bad people in Pittsburgh. That's that's not the official title. It's just called father of Mine, not father of mine, who was a bookie who saw bad things happen with the mob in Pittsburgh A legends or possibly available next Tuesday. Thank you mine, Thanks d Thank you mine. My bookie was He was known locally in a very upstanding businessman. And uh I remember he drove a Lincoln Continental a mark three. It was a blue mark three. And there's a reason why he drove that and lived in a real nice house. Because bookies make the money, not the people who bet with the bookies, Yes, Tod.
Speaker 4: How upstanding were the people that would come to your house if you didn't pay off? What do you like?
Speaker 1: I never I always paid, But once again I was semi involved. My bookie took bets from the guy who took bets with Pete Rose. Sometimes he would offload some of his bets, or my bookie would take bets from Pete when the other bookie wasn't available. So I knew what was going on for a long time when this was and Pete was not a good gambler, but to be able to kind of figure out what's going on, and it's always it's humbling when you walk over to somebody and their house and you knock on the door and the you know, the wife comes to the door and I ask if such and such as in a home and yes he is, and you know he I'm out and I had to give him my money. And then you go, all right, I'll talk to you on Sunday. And you know, I didn't have the money to bet. But you always think you're smarter, like, hey, I know football, well you can know football, but not know how to gamble. And then it took me a long time and then I realized I could do it and make some money, and thankfully, thankfully, thankfully, I lost thirty three hundred dollars on a the last bet I ever placed college football bowl game. If I had won it, I don't know if there's any guarantee that I would have been able to walk away. Yeah, I guarantee.
Speaker 5: You've been driving a Camaro though.
Speaker 1: No Corvette. Oh yeah, done it? No, I was. If I won, I would have had nine thousand dollars. So I had six thousand dollars and I put thirty I put three thousand down on this bowl game, and I lost the wig. So thirty three hundred bought my mama dishwasher, and then I bought myself an old beat up Toyota Selica and had a little bit of money for college. And then that was it. I rode off into the sunset. Thankfully. Let me take a break. Last call for phone calls. We're back after this in The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 9: This is Steve Covino and Rich Davis, and together we are Covino and Rich. Cavino and Rich, Thanks buddy, that's right, Cavino Rich Fox Sports Radio's newest hit show, heard weekdays from five to seven Eastern two to four on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Every Coveno in Rich show is available as a podcasts. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe of such a rockin dude. The show features our unique take on sports, injected with some fun, humor and relatability. Listen to Covino on Rich five days a week on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 10: Give me the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was it on this day? Todd in nineteen ninety five? This is the number one song in America?
Speaker 4: Got that right?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 1: Who sings this?
Speaker 4: Montel Jordan.
Speaker 1: I always think of the talk show host Montel Williams. Okay, fantastic, fantastic, love this song.
Speaker 4: You got to get into this. This is this is good stuff right there?
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean it's fine, it's fun.
Speaker 4: It's lively it's like down the window. He's like, let's go.
Speaker 1: By the way. I don't know if you saw this last week. Evan Gattis last week admitted that when he was with the Astros, they knew the pitches that were coming in the twenty seventeen World Series. And the reason why I bring this up is Clayton Kershaw got his two hundred to win last night. But since they started keeping track of swinging and missing strikes on breaking balls this was two thousand and eight, no picture has had more than twenty two hundred of them except for Clayton Kershaw. He's had over thirty five hundred swing and misses on his breaking ball. So he threw fifty one breaking balls in Game five against the Astros. You know how many swing and misses he had against the Astros. Zero stat of the.
Speaker 6: Day, Stat of the day that past Dad.
Speaker 1: That might lead you to believe the Astros knew what pitches were coming on That's interesting. Yes, So the man who has over thirty five hundred swings and misses had fifty one breaking balls in the game against the Astros in twenty seventeen, and he didn't get one Astro to swing and miss just yeah, just a Quinn can read it all right, fair enough, fair enough. Let me see Doug in North Carolina. Hi, Doug, welcome back. What do you have for me?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 10: Just two quick questions. One, if the NFL has these newsafer helmets, why does only one position get them? And two? Does de mar Hamlin have to perform to be comeback player? Does he just have to take the field? I mean, does he have to do a couple of picks or does he actually just have to take the field to be the comeback player of the year.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that works as far as Vegas paying that off. But right now, the odds on favorite and I think they're just trying out the helmets on the quarterbacks. But I I hope that this is something that's universal.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paula, Yeah, this specific helmet that they're doing for quarterbacks is because of the odds that a quarterback has that whiplash fall to the ground thing. So there's a different type of I guess plate lack of a better word, in the back.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me see Gavin in Kansas. Hey, Gavin, Hey, then you guys doing great? What's on your mind?
Speaker 8: I was going back to the villains and bad guys of sports, and here in Kansas.
Speaker 10: You know, my favorite team being the Royals and stuff up north.
Speaker 8: I was thinking of all this Chapman since we.
Speaker 6: Just signed him.
Speaker 1: He's up there, he's up there. He got a little baggage there, real bad guy. Yeah yeah, Paulie. This day in sports history.
Speaker 5: The first Boston Marathon was held in eighteen ninety seven. Nineteen sixty, baseball uniforms began displaying players' names on their backs. We didn't have that before nineteen ten, just a number. Let's see Philadelphie seventy six ers. In nineteen eight eight tired Julis ear rings number six. Before the game, doctor J statue was also unveiled. Michael Jordan won his sixth consecutive NBA scoring title. He had ten overall.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, that's it, okay. I know on this date nineteen ninety one, Evander Holyfield beat George Foreman heavyweight title, and Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes to reap. Michael Spinks beat Larry Holmes twice. And then I saw Michael Spinks fight Mike Tyson. Oh my goodness, that's when you see fear. It was real, like you're looking in the ring and you're seeing fear from a great boxer. If you could have said Mike to Spinks, you're going to go down in the third round and uh it might hurt a little bit, but you can get out right now, he would have signed up for that. Todd, what'd you learn on today's program?
Speaker 6: You feel conduct detrimental to the game is what ultimately got Draymond suspended on and just a stomping act itself.
Speaker 1: Seet no' connor.
Speaker 3: People talk trash to Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do, Yeah, they did. No, they don't they did, they did. Yes, Marvin, you brought your mamma dishwasher. Yes, I did my gambling profits.
Speaker 5: Paulie, a fan on Twitter, said, if there was a Clinch Award.
Speaker 1: Mo Cheeks would have won it. Back of the Day, Lovely, Hottest, Rookie's biggest Superstars, the all time greats. The only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. For instant classics, autographed cards, Member billion cards, rare inserts in more started. Continue your collection now, Paniniamerica dot Net. Great Texas running Back Bijon Robinson, will join us on the program. Hope you join us as well. Have a great day everybody,