Speaker 1: What's up? And welcome back to another episode of No Salers Podcast with your hosts Now fuck that with your loaw glasses, Malone. What you was going to do in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: There's a pre IPO like biotech company out there. I was thinking about investing in, and they've talked about having a quick IPO turnaround, and I'm skeptical on them turning that around that fast. So I wanted at that price. So I wanted to see if they had filing paperwork and all that kind of shit and kind of look them in the eye a little bit more and like really kind of press them face to face, like in their office. If anybody can write an email, I can see if you squirm in a chair that when I asked you hard questions.
Speaker 1: MM. So that was kind of I was thinking about going for the Seeman Show. What the Sema Show. It's a big car show. Oh, car show in Vegas. We missed the Big Smoke. What was the Big Smoke? Oh?
Speaker 2: Like they do they do one in Vegas and one in Florida. But it's it's the biggest cigar convention of the year. Everybody goes there. They give away free everything. It's really quite a situation.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Is the last time I was in Vegas, I went to my favorite restaurant, Dale Friscos. My favorite dal Friscos is in New York in New York City in Manhattan, but they have a really good one in Vegas. And it was a football player, professional football player that retired selling cigars and I bought one from me.
Speaker 2: Was it Ed Reed?
Speaker 1: I think it was Ed Reid.
Speaker 2: Obviously I'm rocking the Miami Hurricanes had. Ed Reid is my man, big fan of his. I like his cigar line. I wanted to see if he wanted to do some work with my other boy out in Tonga and grow the first tongin leaf in the industry, but I couldn't get an email.
Speaker 1: Back a tongu and leaf like for a cigar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tonga is the It's like almost identical climate wise to Cuba. It's like the same exactism from the equator but on the other side, and it's all volcanic soil, so like, it's very similar precipitation, very similar weather patterns on all fronts. So they had he has some empty family farmland out there, and I thought it would be very interesting to shake up the industry with the first ever high quality Cuban seed pollination. Belief just never got off the ground.
Speaker 1: Mm that sound interesting. So finished telling me about finished telling me about the difference between America, where they were ranked at as far as simply put economic advancement opportunities, versus Singapore where were they ranked that? Explain that to me again.
Speaker 2: This was an Economic Freedom index, so it encompassed four factors, property rights, government integrity, judicial effective effectiveness, tax burden, and government spending. So Singapore had an overall index score of eighty five. They were number one. The United States was number twenty five with a seventy point one. The US got dragged down a lot in the government spending index score, though some other countries that are ahead of them were far worse, like Ireland, the Czech Republic, Germany, a lot of EU countries spend a bunch of money. Interesting countries that were behind the United States, like China was pretty low. They have actually a they have less government spending and communists China relative to GDP than the United States does, but their property rights and government integrity and that kind of stuff, their scores got dragged down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, property this is like this is more of the opportunity to build wealth. Wealth building in countries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I would almost say it to some degree because obviously some of these countries, like even Singapore, I'm sure it's not as much money to be made.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense, Yeah, it depends. Singapore is a tech hub, so there is a lot of money to be made there, a lot of I would say, really, it kind of comes down to like an entrepreneurial like like how manicured is the path to like entrepreneurial successful independence to like be your own man, you know, run your own show, that.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing, old school living. Yeah, you have to barter things. Somebody made choose and you grew corn and you you know, you made your deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so by that standard, because Singapore is becoming a tech hub, so that's they're selling everything internet. Let me ask you some Pete. Yesterday I was listening to Trump talking why am I a huge fan of the concept of bringing industry back to America? And why isn't Why aren't And you're the perfect person to answer this question because you are kind of Republican, if that would be fair to say, you know what you are versus to me, where you just have values that fit you and some of them have some of the same values, but most people will look at you as a conservative or a Republican. Why is it that I am a fan of the Why does it make sense to me? Okay, two questions, two parts. What's the flaw in putting tariffs on people? That's importing right things based off slave I mean, cheap ass labor for us to say with dollar versus America itself bringing industry back here so people can have jobs. What's the flawing that? Well? First, why am I a fan of that? Like? No, now you you know you know me? And what's the flawing it that? Let's say, like, what's a fair flawing and that a Democrat would come back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just just to be fair, just to preface it, you're a rhino Republicans, you're George Bush Republicans, big government Republicans, and your Democrats are are in favor of the globalization model. I don't like either of those groups. I'm of the conservative libertarian I hate Democrats and big government, restriction and all that kind of stuff and any and Liz Cheney and her dad and all the like like anybody who does that. There's a lot of wolves and sheeps clothing in the Republican Party that can I'll go over there and get theft over to But it comes down to, like there's an inflationary component in that. If you go full throttle on that to some degree, you're going to raise the price of everything for everybody. Yeah, So that's the pushback. Trump's goal to try to find a sweet spot where you can be because the initial pushback, the knee jerchological pushback, is well, you put a terrify on China for shoes, They're just going to raise the price and pass it on to the consumer. So it comes off like a sales tax and in effect to the United States buyer because the buyer pays the bill.
Speaker 1: But do you not think though that if people had money, they could spend money. Yeah, Like like like if you lower the value of everything, right, Okay, first, then so my initial issue is there's a morality issue there for me, right, whereas like, I know some other place is taking advantage of people, right, that's how their government is set up. So I don't get how people could really consider themselves righteous people and still support the globalization model when you know other countries are under paying people and not paying fair wages. It's the same.
Speaker 2: What if it's the same stupid logic. If I don't have to look at it, it doesn't exist. That you see in like with the a lot of the energy fanatics that actually run government, not to like hold a sign eat grid, all of you know, hippie wirdos who I don't want to drill in the I don't want to drill in the United States, even though US drilling is cleaner and more efficient, more responsible than Venezuelan, Saudi or Russian drill. Like we don't buy Russian oil, but they put it into the marketplace that brings prices down. So like those other countries, we would rather buy from them while they pollute more and have all these other negative impacts about it again, labor, hum rights, all those various things. Then have to actually live with the fact that somewhere near us we might ourselves be drilling in a better and more responsible way. It's the same thing with that. You know, hey, I don't want to pay an extra dollar for an orange, But if they want to have to drill, the windows shut in their buildings so that the people can't jump out the window because they want to kill themselves. So be it long. If I don't have to look at it, I can hide it from the voter at large, the American people at large, whatever, and blame it on ABCDEFG.
Speaker 1: No sinners. Gl got my brother Peter Waman gonna peel back some things, man, peel back some things, some thoughts, and now we do this. It's like when people complain about Walmart. To me, like Walmart charges less right because they obviously right. One of the things they can't have is great customer service and a lot of help. So I know when I go to Walmart, even when I'm frustrated, I know why it's taking an hour for people to come open up the lock cabinets because if they overstaffed it, right, the business model doesn't work sure, right, So I feel like America itself is becoming Walmart. Yeah and yeah.
Speaker 2: And on the back end Walmart, boy's a bunch of small businesses that are their suppliers by virtue of the fact that you get a contract of Walmart, We're gonna give you one percent profit, but you're gonna scale up and escalate the amount of production that you do fiftyfold from you would otherwise. So you might make ten percent more money, you're gonna produce fifty times more shit at a ribbon than you know.
Speaker 1: Margin, And I think, to me, that's that's the globalization that we're talking about. Like Walmart, America used to be targeted. And I don't want to say it used to be like two hundred thousand years ago. I'm talking about within one hundred years ago, America was targeted. Yeah, it was a quality experience where you went and bought things. People made decent money. Yes, you paid for things, but you had the money to pay for them. But things were affordable because you actually had to get out and make it happen, you know what I mean, and become a productive member in that society that people believe in. So you would go buy the car. It would like it was an economy that supported itself. So it was like target where you could go there. You had a great experience being there, obviously you know, minus human beings in that condition of being black blah. But just the business model versus now where we're moving into a space of it's all Walmart, Like we're proud that things are cheap, but if you think about it, they have to be cheap because don't nobody got no damn money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't disagree with that. There's the way everything's on the spectrum. People like to simplify things into a black and white binary that's rarely the truth and the complex models at all. And you kind of see parallel tracks between all that we're talking about and the amount of government intervention that happens. And a good example, I saw something online about how by twenty thirty, I want to say, now, like in the nuclear energy world, they're trying to do like Italy's big into this, like smaller sized nuclear reactors opposed to like the gigantic nuclear power plants that you know you think of. So Google wants to have like twelve of its own personal nuclear reactors many nuclear power plants to run its giant centralized AI apparatus. Bear in mind, Google already bought a government hydroelectric dam in the DALs in Oregon to run their stupid data center already. So what this means to me, it's kind of an illustration of you cozy up to a government that's getting bigger and bigger and bigger so that you can get the car at the exemption to be the only person that does business. Well, everybody else would like to do the same thing but can't, So there's no competition. There's no democratization of not only wages, but also of information and like just competitive ideas. So yeah, and that's largely why you see the US cascading downward against other countries and like economic freedom and dex scores and other things like that.
Speaker 1: So shout out to the homie dron or d Royn ross on Ig. He asked me a really great question. I have a question, do you think the image of the American dream has changed or died, or at least a vision of the dream has changed? And I thought that was like a really interesting question, and it made me look up the American dream and there were two different kinds of concepts, right. I think we have the picture of the American dream, right, which is the house with the white pick of fence, two and a half kids and all these two kids and a dog, old lady and all of that. Yeah, so it's fair to say, yeah, that's die.
Speaker 2: Well, now you can have two and a half kids, because they're going to pump your children with so many vaccinations that one of them is going to be half, you know, by the time, so that's on schedule.
Speaker 1: And then it says I looked it up, and it says the American dream loosely is that every person has the freedom and opportunity to succeed and attain a better life, or it says the tenants of the American Dream, or also it says the tenants of the American Dream originate from the Declaration of Independent Independence, which states that all men are created equal in having inalienable, inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. So it's a lot of things to break down in that thought. I don't think the American dream isn't encouraged anymore or promoted anymore. I think the so no, I think the American dream has died. If you really think about what you know, when we were growing up, how you saw life right, family based function, structure. I don't think that's really the dream anymore. I just don't think that's the dream anymore for people. I think people have different dreams, you know what I mean. I think America is encouraging different dreams, and it's getting worse and worse and worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with that, like I think that there's two things happening like simultaneously. I think that what you're saying is happening. I don't think that like the nuts and bolts are not there. But people look back and think that all these things were easy and just happened like like like popcorn, you know, in the oven or wherever the hell like. It wasn't like the pioneer spirit and all that kind of stuff that was hard. Those were hard times. People now, I think, you know, their expectation is easy luxury rather than like stuff we talked about, like if it's not working where you are, you might have to go somewhere else. That's the whole basically, that's ninety five percent of the history of the country. It wasn't until like the last twenty thirty years that people were like and there's some pushback on it now the last ten. But there was almost an entire generation in the country's history where people didn't want to move, whereas before everybody was moving all the time to find the best place to do what they wanted to do, whether it was if you ask me, how the hell are people in Minnesota. Somewhere along the line there was a better opportunity for them to do what they wanted to do there than where they started. Don't know how you would end. I don't understand that at all. You could, So.
Speaker 1: You're really complaining more or less because America did simplify it, you know, when you got to the forties, fifties. Well war helped in the forties. So we're talking really manly about the fifties and sixties where where industry had hit a really smooth peak. Right, Detroit is the perfect example of America's old model. Trump does bring up Michigan a lot when I listened to him. Detroit was the old model of America's business and the proof that America's old business or the way they wanted to do business back when you could graduate high school, get a trade, you know what I mean, or go work down at the factory. You had to learn some skill sets, and you were able to sacrifice whatever brightness you thought was possible for your future, you know, to become a billionaire, whatever you thought was cool, because I don't even think people even thought like that back then. But you were able to put your family. He was able to buy your family a house, right, take care of your old lady, you know what I mean, put your kids through school, and then your kids can go out and try and conquer the world. But you sacrifice, you know, or if you had those things going on in your mind, you sacrifice certain things for them to be Okay, that doesn't exist anymore, that traditional existence that the Midwest was founded on, right, Pittsburgh with steel mills, Detroit, all of these places where you can go get a job at a some level of trade, right and be able to buy a house, right, and then put your kid through school to give them an even better opportunity based off your sacrifice.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, me being from Cleveland, See, I remember my homeboy Bam, that was just all here his day of My dad both worked downtown at the steel plant, and they both had good jobs. Like back in the day. Dog. I used to be amazed as Pops was making twenty five step ups, making twenty five bucks an hour, and that was a big deal back then. So he used to bring a thousand dollars check home, you know, every you know, every week they worked a gang over time. So he bringing a thousand check on that was what I wanted to do because I thought that that was what I saw now, So that is the means to the success because I remember when we went from living in an apartment to where we bought our first house. Right, we bought a house, had a backyard, pops working down there, and I saw when crack hit and those industries started shutting down that like my pops and mister Ladd, my boy band's probably the last people working in the plant. They went from having this big building to where it was just barely there and they was barely getting hours. So my dad always was a dude that was always fixing people's cars. Like you come over to my house, it'd be twenty raggedy cars in the backyard because he's fixing this person's breaks, doing a tune up on this other person's car. So he had other ways to make money, so he took his hustle full time, mister Ladd paying houses. Now all my other homeboys whose pops worked down there, most people were still depressed. They started smoking. So I saw the whole cities, I saw the whole dynamic of the neighborhood changed just because those jobs weren't They're no more man.
Speaker 1: And anybody listening to those seilings. Right, that's big bro Stell he popped on. We was waiting on it, but this was burning a hole in my mind, so I had to get going. He's not saying the crack era ended the industry era that we're talking about. He's saying it became a way to medicate past not having an opportunity. And to me, Pete, that is the American dream that I remember sure people talking about that that regular man could go down, get a trade, work down at the factory, right and at minimum be able to buy his house. So when he passed away, his child started with property, some level of in advancement. He could finance his kid through school, He could buy a simple house, take care of his family, you know what I mean. That to me is the American dream that I would think of when we see the American dream.
Speaker 2: And I think, again, there's both sides of that coin in the sense that that era and you could look at it in the Bay Area and in Los Angeles as well as the rust belt in the Midwest, there was an enormous amount of people, like I mean, the nineteen fifties was like you know, kind of loosely defined, so to speaking like like the Great Migration era, a bunch of people out of the South moved to where there was a lot of development, better houses, better jobs, et cetera. Those kind of things aren't perpetual and static like that. So if you were to take like geography off the table and just like kind of put it in a vacuum, like and let's say, like people like coastal California more than they like Texas in the summertime. You know what I mean? You you would say, okay, well, if you were go look at like old houses and Compton or San Pedro or whatever else, and compare a house built in nineteen thirty five or fifty five in that area versus a house it's built in two thousand and five in like Duncanville, Texas or something. So just just some you know, working class suburb of Dallas. The newer place is better, and there's the economy growing there. It's not quite so much growing in Los Angeles. So it's like those that opportunity and that reality was made possible by somebody from Memphis or Alabama or Mississippi going there's a lot going on up there. I'm picking my people up we're going over there, We're gonna take advantage of it.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: It doesn't end there forever?
Speaker 1: Do you? Like?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Like the next person might have to do the same.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying, does it not end there? Because we the American dream is not anymore the American dream, and it becomes the world dream, the global dream, the personal dream. Like when I listen to at a really dope conversation with Hershey, the guy that started a chocolate company. Sure, like, to me, wealth has changed. Wealth used to be not just financially but also in relationships. Like you did right by people? To me, that was true wealth. Sure you did right by society. You know, I mean you you you created something that that obviously was inspired by a desire to to go crazy, you know what I mean, and make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want the sound clip of the day. Sure, we a society have literally transformed from the handshake agreement to the non disclosure agreement.
Speaker 1: True six, tell me, tell me why the.
Speaker 2: Country is run by lawyers.
Speaker 1: Everything's lutigious much so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hyper litigious, and it's a one way ratchet system in the civil courts. So you have spineless punk judges who are content to just kick the can down the road to eternity, where you know, appeals go on for a thousand years and everything costs a bazillion dollars, Which who does that hurt the little guy? And then and then when something happens where the little guy wins, they win in such an enormous amount that it cripples the big guy and sets a precedent so that everything has to be so rigorously entrenched in contract law that the cost just to enter the contract, because you need so many lawyers to write the goddamn contract and read it makes it just harder to do basic shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me go back before this. I agree, right, I agree that somebody from the south or from the east coast decided that there was a huge opportunity in land, and people that needed opportunity needed jobs. And this is how we get four you know, and and and GM factories. Right, that's where we said steal me. This is where we get It's where we get Milton Hershey going to Pennsylvania. Right, this is why you get it. But are you saying that's not sustainable or is it only not sustainable because we allow business as a country to become like everything about today's business is inhumane. And I'm gonna tell you why it is inhumane, right because you could have a company that that's going to China, right and and forgive me, I don't want to say id trumpets, but just thinking from a regular mind state. I'm not into politics. This is just me thinking if you go to China to take advantage of how that country, you know, deals with people which you wouldn't agree with it in this country. You wouldn't agree with somebody forcing you to work, controlling how many children you had, and no disrespect of China because I'm not one of those people like I think people. I think culture is all about land, so everybody grows are different. But most humans act like that would bother them if we had to live under these kind of constraints right where you couldn't have as many kids unless you had this kind of money. You know, you have to work and be a productive member of society so you can live in a place like this is what's going on in China. So they're not paying wages and they're building things for cheap to pass on you know, some some the New Ford, the New Ford, the new Milton Hershey is going to China to buy cheap products, right, made by people getting what we would call in America a slave labor. Right, So we're taking that and we're passing.
Speaker 2: Well American dreamuchi.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying. That's my point, right, isn't it the inhumane behavior of people pursuing wealth. That's what changed, like versus Milton Hershey. And maybe they would have been the same way if that was there. But to me, I genuinely want to feel they had a desire to invest in people, you know what I mean, like people like Hershey.
Speaker 4: You got great companies in this country, like you got Hershey, you got nappied. You got certain countries that refuse to say, Okay, I'm gonna save a couple of billion dollars every year by moving the business over the China, because you know what, those people actually care about the employees. They're still very much the family. I guarantee you and hers She's somebody from that lineage is still in that board of directors and still say, you know what, we're not doing that that goes against our rules.
Speaker 1: But that's my point, right, It's like the modern businessman. So this is what I'm asking Pete back to that concept of where we did move or what do they call when birds do it? Migrate? Right? For us? Different opportunities, different possibilities, Right, But do you feel like the flaw net is that we started to globalize moving versus probably right then and there we should have put a bamn a no. No. You cannot save and make more wealth by taking advantage of somebody else's mistreatment of humans, if that's what you will believe in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that there's there's a lot to unpack up trying to keep trying like five or six things.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, I know i'd be writing nose.
Speaker 2: Down to Yeah, that's all right, That certainly is true. I think there's a sweet spot though, between being two like like like too closed, two restrictive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you you want to want to global trade, but you feel like there's a sweet spot in both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and there's kind of like I think a natural arc to innovation is there's gonna be monopoly. That's gonna happen because you're the first person to have the thing or the first area or group whatever to have the knowledge of technology to do the thing. And then eventually if it's unfettered in the marketplace, enough competitors will figure out a way to break your monopoly down and democratize it if there aren't areas of entry like all health. So yeah, what you're saying certainly is true. A couple of things that stick out to me that have changed now is well, Obviously, the technology to transport goods quick and cheap has made for that to be possible. Also, the development of other countries to be able to just offer the option has happened. I mean, like China in nineteen fifty five, they had just toppled their government in what was called the Farmer's Revolt. I mean they weren't there yet, So there's that now. I think two things that frustrate me is like, domestically, companies now do not care to invest in training people fix So you want you want to be if they're going to hire you, you have to have like already done this thing for so long. It's ridiculous that you'd be on the job market.
Speaker 1: It starts to eliminate humans from opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then two companies don't want to pay you the money now. So what you're seeing a lot of is well. I don't want to pay you now. I'm not going to pay you later. I'm gonna let the market pay you later. So that's you know, I'll give you fifty thousand dollars a year, but we'll give you a four to one k system and let the let let everybody else in the investment world raise our stock thirty years from now, and then you can cash out on that, so we don't ever have to really pay you. And part of the issue also, like I remember this happening, Like with my grandpa's company. He had obviously a big fleet of Union truck drivers in ready mix, you know, like the picture trucks kind of thing. He gave everybody, and he started off shoveling his own gravel and dropping his own truck, like he came from that. Everybody on his yard and all the yards had like the Cadillac health Care just to give. Like my dad was working in sales for like a subsidiary company that was under that umbrella when he switched jobs to being a stockbroker at like a huge investment banking firm. When I was in elementary school, I noticed that in the fifth grade, like I noticed how much worse going to the doctors became. However, they also had strikes all the fucking time because people who run unions. It's like union's kind of reached a critical mass resistance point where it went from being like we're underpaid to now we're paid to now the union people still have jobs. So what they did is a week and really get more money out of this company now. So what we're gonna do is we're gonna kick the can down the road for pensions. You see, this happened with government a lot too, where it's like, we don't want to pay you now because it would crush us. But I can take home a victory to my people by saying, guys, I only got you fifty cents an hour more, but you're gonna get like fifty grand more in your pension thing. Well, thirty years later, all those chickens have come home to roost, so it's clabbered a lot of them, like that's what happened like fifteen years ago, where really clabbered the balance sheets like GM and all that kind of stuffy. So I think on the on.
Speaker 1: The another word, so in other words, and it's funny because I used to teach Charlemagne Charlemagne said compassionate capitalism capitalism, and I'm like, that's roof capitalism can only truth. We don't mean capitalism, right, Let's let's not be using that term. Let's say the true pursuit of wealth. It almost has to be ruthless, like even when you're talking about it, right, And and somewhere along the line, a lot of companies have to stop caring about humans, right, Like.
Speaker 4: Say, that's kind of a miss number. What do you mean just the whole term just nice capitalism?
Speaker 1: Well, capitalism is basically again we we that term has took a really bad kick in the ass, you know what I mean, because of us not being able to It's like the term black community. It's just too loose. I don't even want to use it. The pursuit of wealth, like the fact that like a company would go to China, right, and it's and you see it in their businesses, right, they'll they have to do so much. Uh, they call they don't even call it humanity no more. They call it what.
Speaker 4: Do they call it?
Speaker 1: It's like a healthy way of being human, It's it's something else they call it. Well, like will know you call those people wealthy people who don't know philanthropic, Yeah, philanthropy right, yes, yes, there you go, Like that ship is a joke, Like you should know people to make a product, right, you shouldn't know people to make a product, And then you donate money to people to act like you care when the actual season could have been in the mix. You know, you know, you don't have to add season after the food is made. But again, it's when you serving it up to people who don't really understand tastes. Sure, and I.
Speaker 2: Think both parties, employer and employee need to understand, like the relationship, the relationship and what it takes to be sustainable. I mean because because that can change really quickly on the employer side, you know, because because because your costs and all these other things, all these margins they look all sweet and cute when you freeze frame them, but that stuff can change dramatically over time. So so people who are employees.
Speaker 1: How do we get but how do we how do we get sheep to think like shepherd? It's not realistic? Like that's why it has to be a movement of guidance. Does that make sense? Forgive me? I know I just blurted it out, but it's you get what I'm saying, Like, it's only so shepherd, it's only so many shepherds, right, So that's why it's important how we use our voice and how people speak that really are a shepherd of sheep, right, because sheep go with the flow of things. You can't ask the sheep where to go. And to me, that's ninety percent of a workforce. I mean because if they if they wasn't thinking like that, they'd have been already figuring out exactly how to guide their own path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's you know, the market system is all about agility, So like a company is not gonna get dragged through the mud when they go, shit's getting tight, we got to buy steal from a different source. People don't notice those things happen, but they happen. But when it's like things are getting tight, we already bought steel from different source. We're have to let some people go or this whole thing is gonna we have to let everybody go. It's just one of the two. So like people do need to be better educated on like foresight, which is unfortunate, but it's.
Speaker 1: I used to talk about this, right, It's like having a deal a podcast do or a record deal. It's we talk about it with Puff. You see humans complaining about it all the time. You you watch people complain like, oh, well Puff, you know he bought Mace's Publishing, right, and this is another perfect business idea. He bought Mace's publishing and now he's made money and Mace wants is publishing because it's worth money. But he bought it when it was worth no money. Yeah, right. And it's easy for artists to be like, well, I deserve my masters because you know I made Well, why didn't you make your own masters and market your own masters or that's all you had to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you've ever been the same breath? Like I was kind of doing some scratch math like a while back, just after a pod ended, looking at like I forgot what you just said, Like what like the locks and shit what they got paid for their stuff back in the day from Puff if they just said, this is my nest egg and they just went to New Jersey and bought a little cheap you know, apartment building or something like that, whatever you could get. At the time, I was looking at it, Okay, Well, the amount of money they'd make and the appreciation they'd be making more money, so much money now they wouldn't care. But when you sell, you know your retirements, and it's gone, and then and then it's and then oh I'm fifty. Now hey, this is bullshit. I don't have anything. Well, of course you didn't be spent the thing.
Speaker 1: So when you're saying when they took pub deals, they should have went and took that money and invested in something else that year, that's a great point. But that's also because people may don't. They don't look at publishing or masters like retirements.
Speaker 2: I know people don't look at a lot of things like that, but assets.
Speaker 1: Until it's time to retire. Yeah, but there's also but also if they can see it that way, they probably wouldn't sign to Puffy in the first place.
Speaker 2: Maybe they could. It depends on what you're doing with the money. I mean, it's like, because I'll put it this way, like if you buy, if you do like a a revenue system, Let's say, like I just just for sake of just blatant stereotype, let's say every rapper when they signed their first deal is just like totally broke. They don't need this arrival moment for their masters thirty five years from now, you know what I mean. They need somebody. So if you sell your masters for a million bucks, now, whatever the hell you get five hundred k after taxes, blah blah, whatever hell you get, and you go buy a thing, and now you're getting I don't know, eight grand a month all the time, all the time, all the time, all the time. The light's draw on. You're good. The value of your assets going up. Your monthly is slowly going up with it. You know, if you even if they didn't spend that money and found other ways to make money, just put that money to work so that you're just snowballing money, making money, making money, making money, making money, making money.
Speaker 1: And this is where like and this will always say, like being black in this country is a little bit more unique of an experience than you kind of want to give it credit for. And forgive me because you do give it credit, but enough credit. Like the trauma of oppression, the trauma of poverty, even when it's like it's not happening to you all the time, but it's happening you know you it's a history of people happening to you like this. It's it weighs a lot. I'm not making no excuses for nobody. I'm just telling you why people because if they could think that clearly when they got a record deal, they probably wouldn't need a record deal. You get what I'm saying. Does that sounds crazy? Like I get what you're saying. I'm just saying like, no, no, I'll get you off because you're right from a straight economic standpoint. Ironically, like I said, even after this conversation, I'm like, I need to talk to you more about what I'm going to do, and I'm like, I need to have a better approach economically, like a much better approach because right, even like if you if you're whole life, you've been made to feel like you're not shit because you don't have the American dream, even though people that look like me, right and people that you know for the four four five hundred years have been purposely discriminated and the American dream has been kept away purposely. Now, Pete, again, I'm not saying I was on a plantation picking cotton. I'm saying you have to actually acknowledge that even in twenty twenty four, it's a little tougher for somebody like me to do something with somebody like you, Right, you have to. You gotta see that right outside of the memory, the water memory and trauma. Go ahead. I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I don't discredit that. I'm just looking at the two things and going that's a better option.
Speaker 1: No, No, I totally get it. And I'm not making an excuse. We're just having a dialogue outline so people who hear this that rappers coming up can understand. And yes, you should be listening to Pete. When you get your check, that's you're trading your masters for it. So you should take some of that check, right and go buy something that will be worthy of masters right in twenty years, because you may not get another check. You may be lucky every time you get that check. Remember, you're trading your your mortgaging your future earnings. Outside of that, every dollar you make, you're going to have to hustle for it. You're gonna have to show up and do a concert. You're gonna have to exchange your time for money.
Speaker 2: Well, sure, and in that scenario, like this is kind of the calculation, and I'll just use a round figure. You get a million dollars, right, it probably doesn't help your immediate career just because of the nature of the genre and the marketing, et cetera, which impart entails what you were discussing. But you're gonna have to put some of that into the jewelry in the car for career purposes because it improves the cashe out of your next project.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and because humans buy success, humans buy wealth. Yeah, even if they don't buy nothing else, they buy wealth. But so again, if you're an upcoming rapper, entrepreneur, anything, right, and and somebody's finance and they're buying your movie on two B, they're buying your future earnings, right, and they're a part of your futureourney. So the money you get, you have to be mindful that this is part of it is your retirement. Nobody's gonna invest it for you, And you don't want to look crazy arguing, you know what I mean twenty years from now for something that you sold, Like, yes, people will take your side, but there's no court in America that's gonna make sense out it, so you won't get it. You just persons.
Speaker 4: The biggest piece of crack of BSU heard in my life. People make a decision to do something, then come back later on and flame.
Speaker 5: They even liked Sylvester Stallone do that stupid shit. I was talking about Jamaican and last year he's complaining, I should be given the rights to like craps for my kids.
Speaker 2: As you got a thirty million dollar fucking house from the money you got for the for the rights, give that to your kids. Like that was the stupid It's the same exact thing. It's just that one.
Speaker 1: I'm like, dude, bro, yeah, but but again, it's like why they do it is because they are trying to convince themselves, right. The money don't always convince people. They need other people. I had this great conversation with Pun and problem, like, right, we argue like brothers, right, shout out to Jason Martin, shout out to Pun. Pun is trying to tell me to do the Palladium. He's like, man, we need to do the Palladium. I'm gonna hit him and ask them what could they offer? And I'm like, I've already done the Palladi. He's like, well, we could do it again. He's like, people don't remember that. I'm like, I don't care what people remember. I'm not trying to impress people. I'm trying to impress and reach potential. Right, So we argue, I'm like, man, I want to do the Hollywood Bowl in eighteen months. He like the Hollywood Bowl, and I'm like, yes, we have been in the business seventeen years. We are cultural. We are we move the culture. We are the cultural inspiration. I can make a tweet and a million people retweeted, and it shifts culture. It becomes a voice for the street and to general population. They have to contend with how we're shifting the culture. Like Drake can argue with DeMar Derozen and I can explain why that is some sucker shit when you could have called this man as a man and had a conversation with him and say, hey, man, we need to meet up and we need to talk. So if you want a fighting whatever, right, And I could put my voice out there and alter general population to understand why that's unmasculine. Right, There's no reason why people of our stature should not be at the Hollywood Bowl. I'm not saying we should be able to do a stadium tour around the country or around the world. I'm not saying an arena tour around the country, around the world, but when it comes to right here, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to put seventeen thousand, five hundred people into a place. We got way too much foundation, groundwork and too much popularity. No matter what, It just takes a plan and the goal. But to listen to him really in his mind, it just sounded crazy to them. But every last idea that I bring to my people sounds crazy initially to me. They're primitive, like not like they're nothing. I'm saying, I did the mathematic, but it's really to me, it's two plus two weeks four. So the point I'm saying is the reason people do the stuff they doing is because they're trying to convince other people, Like right, I could have spent all that time convincing pun of my value and my work why I should be at the Hollywood Bow. But the defeating part and the worrisome part that I've experienced through I've been in this business now seventeen years, is when other people around you don't see the value something. And the most deflating part and the greatest mistake you can make is convincing people around you of your worth or value. They don't have to buy you, and that's where rappers spend most of that money, convincing people they're not broken anymore, even though their bank account says they're not broken anymore. This is a curse in Black America, but it's also because it's a way to deal with that type of trauma, those type of water members, water memories, reminders that you not shitting this country. So you spend all your money trying to convince people that you something, when really your bank account should make you know that you got some money. But it is about convincing other people. And so I am grateful and blessed that my mind is strong enough to listen to my friends, you know, and they are my friends. But I'm grateful that my mind is is bright enough to not really give a fuck what he thinks. By the end of the conversation, he started to consider, heybe this nigga's not crazy. But there have been times where I have came to my team and still it be an echo chamber about it. Where I came to them with incredible ideas and they just sounded crazy to people. And a lot of times I used to let it defeat me, you know what I mean. It's like, oh, no, nobody will to help me build my own residency, you feel me. So I'm not even gonna try. I can't do it by myself versus this time around where like I'm fleshing out an idea from inception to the winner circle not nowhere, stop between. I was just telling Steve, I'm like, we could buy a one bedroom house, right, that's people's mind state. People's mind state is I'm going to get a one bedroom house. Like I tell Joey Westside this all the time from the La Johnson. I'm like, he talking about man, I just want to make twenty thousand a month. I'm like, stop saying that. He's like, that's it, though, you know, I just want to do what I do for a living. Stop saying that. Stop setting these caps on your existence. And I was telling Steve, I'm like, you can't if you buy a one bedroom house, right, Pete, and you built a foundation for it and all that, you can't turn a one bedroom house into a mansion. It's challenging, right, you can't. You would have to level everything and redo foundation. You can't add on to it and make a mansion. It's gonna look fucking stupid. It can it can afford people could live in it. You could add rooms and add shit, but it's not going to be a mansion. You have to blueprint a mansion, right, you have to blueprint a mansion. Now, what you can't do is you can't build a one bedroom and make a mansion out of it. You have to knock it down. Eventually, it's gonna start looking stupid. It's not going to be a mansion. It's not gonna be a nice mansion. You have a lot of bedroom, but that is not a mansion. My boy, that is a bunch of rooms and it looks fucking mickey, It look country. What do you think you're doing.
Speaker 2: It's architecture a quelt.
Speaker 1: Yes, But what you can do is you can blueprint and frame a mansion and close in one bedroom and living the motherfucker. You could. You could foundate, right, get a foundation. Foundate If that's the word. I just made it up. If it's not. You could foundate a mansion. Blueprint it, make one sector, close that sectore in and live in it. The whole rest of the house can be framed. The whole rest of the house could be blueprint and you live in this one part it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: That's not probably gonna be how I would probably live next year, I try to buy a four unit with two that are good or three that are good. What that's shitty. I'm read the good ones outlifting the shitty one.
Speaker 1: It's because Pete, thank god, bro, like I have friends like you, and then my what my mother did for me, because I get it. I've never like I let other people try to convince me of horrible ways to show other people I'm successful when I know way better now that I understand the assignment. Even back then, innately, I knew more effective ways to show people that I had made it. If that was how it was gonna market myself, I would have never got a billy. People. Yes, people talk about a billy all the time. They talk about the g wag, they talk about the porch, they talk about cars that I had all the time. Right, But that doesn't tell you anything, because you know why when that shit was over, you just lost money. You gotta like it gotta start inside of you. You feel me like it got to start inside of you. Like it sounded crazy, I'm like, he like, man, I'm talking about a six month plan. I'm like I don't care about a six month plan. Let's figure out an eighteen month plan and then whatever stemps along the way is fine. But I'm like, this should be the goal. The goal should be this right here. This should be one night we're able to sell out the fucking Hollywood Bowl. And if Nigga's like us, who been in this business for seventeen years, being at every level, all the opportunities in the world, somebody like me and problem you know, even pun We have all the opportunities in the world, we have all the relationships in the world. You mean to tell me, out of all these funky ass arenas and fucking stadiums, we can't sell out one. After all this work, man, we wasting time. We fucking up And I don't everybody keep trying to tell like I'm telling Joe, I like, stop saying you want to make eighteen k a month and say you want to win. Don't say you want to lead in the race for don't say you want to if it's a hundred. Don't say you want to lead in the race for nobody gets in the race like I want to lead in the race for twenty meters. I want to lead in the race for thirty meters and you know, I don't care who win it, nigga, I want to win the gold medal. I was telling them that yesterday and it sounded crazy when I first started saying, and they was laughing. But by the end of the conversation, like my everything in me, that that is, that is actually not nothing everything? Why does everything in me understand? The American dream is obtainable? But to other people, they keep trying to shift their dreams based off of today's time. They keep trying to redefine success based off of today's time. I'm not redefined. I don't give a fuck what year in time. I don't give a fuck if I was in nineteen oh two or motherfucking twenty twenty five. Your dream should be society and standards should not be set in your dreams. That's the problem.
Speaker 2: And most people in general speak like from anywhere just a human condition, don't have a high risk tolerance and don't have long term patience. They want something now and they don't want to risk that much. So well, based off calculations, Well, I like everything, but I can't get everything for a very long time, and I could end up with nothing so like, like like the.
Speaker 1: Game wanted people to remember what they had, and I'm like, that's what I'm saying. I'm like and that that does feel genuinely true like everybody, But that's why social media was the device the world didn't need. Mm hmm, Well a lot of.
Speaker 2: This stuff predated that. You know, people were fucking off their money before social media.
Speaker 1: But you couldn't execute like like now like it. Yes you could do it before, but it took work. It took work. Now there's people living billion dollars to to fake it. Oh, to fake it?
Speaker 2: I got you, Yeah, to.
Speaker 1: Fake it took a lot of work today with social media, to fake it don't take no evener.
Speaker 2: Just walk through the parking a lot and have someone to take a picture of he that's to another guy's car. That's very easy.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so everybody. Again, I can't help it that everybody designs everything they like and want based off of I remember it used to be a girl that I was dating and she would always tell me her dream car was a Bentley because she would be in this Bentley. And one day I just asked her. I got fustrated. I was like, oh, well, do you know which company makes to Bentley, She's like no, I'm like, do you know what engine is in here? She was like no, do you know where they make this car?
Speaker 2: At?
Speaker 1: Like do you know what this car represent the designer?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I'm like do you know what year the car is? She's like no, Like do you know a model?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, how do you not know anything about your dream? Like how don't you wake up and be like, let me go look up? How do I obtain a dream? And I can't even get mad because again, that's such a shepherd thing to do that you can't get mad that the average mind is not consumed with how to obtain something versus the simpleness and the easyness that it takes the dream. It's just easy to dream. You don't even choose to do it. You just dream, but to actually put in an effort and work to obtain dream like people have a bucket list. Like somebody told me my homeway told me my dream is go to England. Nigga, they got a I sent that they got flights to England for one hundred and ninety six dollars forward and back. Yeah, that's a nigga. Why are you dreaming about something that somebody else is doing every day. I can't even imagine how many people from California flying to England every day. They gotta be thousands.
Speaker 2: This this stupid travel I feel like in the last five seven years, this travel obsession is like gone through the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Like you know what's you know what's pumping that up social media right, because it was back to stupid brinking shit. But back then it couldn't be a mast thing. You know why, because you couldn't share your experiences with everybody. If you went, you took pictures and you could only show pictures because you know, you did hear stories about old old women showing pictures and they travels. Back in the eighties and seventy oh, we was here, you had to go to their house. Now it's so easy to market yourself as a traveler. So you got a thousand people dreaming about something because they looked at somebody else Instagram. I swear to god, bro social media is the tool that the world did not fucking need. Most of these people lying see.
Speaker 2: And that's my thing. I do not want to have a lie on borrow time. You could There's two things you can put your money to an appreciable or a depreciable. The latter is spending, the former is investig It's something you could fuck all your money off on dumb shit and act like you got money you don't, and that money you spent that stuff on is not coming back, so you are on borrow time. At some point people are gonna find out. I do not want to be there when they find out about me, because I was lying for five years. I don't want that experience.
Speaker 4: I had to explained something to Christopher one day, because you know, Christopher used to have a lot of models in boxing them and stuff, right, And he's like, yeah, this girl talking to me, Man, she had models she be going to buy, I said, Chrystal, message that girl. That girl be able to getting pooped on by a bunch of by a bunch of sheets, you know, because that's what goes down over there, right, So everything quite what it seemed to be on social media.
Speaker 1: You see these beautiful.
Speaker 4: Women in flossing or I've been over here, I've been here, and that they going out there man to get degraded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you if you're a good looking at woman with no skill set talking about how much money you're spending or where where does anybody think the fucking money is coming from?
Speaker 1: Good looking out for tuning into the Note Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, very common, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced by the Black Effect Podcast Network and now hard Radio Yeah