Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 1: The World's a vigal podcast Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: I feel like this has been about as even as it's been, with both sides enjoying positive days then that I can remember the.
Speaker 1: Twenty fourth pretty even.
Speaker 4: They're both that.
Speaker 1: It's like they're making each other better.
Speaker 5: It's like when good players are both really good and they go against each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they make each other better.
Speaker 6: What is that?
Speaker 2: What is that called that?
Speaker 1: Iron?
Speaker 7: Chakras?
Speaker 4: Iron?
Speaker 1: That sums it up?
Speaker 2: Thought of that?
Speaker 4: You should have just let it that?
Speaker 1: I actually, but brocos one interest me, Like, what is that game?
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 2: Are you excited about that?
Speaker 1: I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: I don't love the idea of building an offense for Drake May, specifically out of little option routes from the slow.
Speaker 1: Just got first downs Brandon's and Syracuse.
Speaker 4: What's up, Brandon?
Speaker 9: Not too much?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry we caught you at a bad time.
Speaker 1: If you're Elliott Wolf and you're shopping booty, what's your pitch?
Speaker 3: Check out this Booty right, here's Patriot's Unfiltered.
Speaker 4: Presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 1: All Right, welcome the Patriot's Unfiltered. It is Thursday here at j Lett Stadium and we just came off the practice field. A hot day here at ja Lett Stadium. Uh, that's getting ready for the second BTS concert. How was last nighte Ford? Did they play all the hits?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was great. Yeah. I had the play sheet.
Speaker 1: I saw you dressed up.
Speaker 4: I was really young. I had my little white skirt on and.
Speaker 1: Really bulld choice.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's your favorite BTS song? I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I've never heard them before. I don't know from them.
Speaker 4: You know, I got some bops, I got some bangers.
Speaker 1: What's the one?
Speaker 4: Dynamite my favorite one? But Butter is really good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: What's tiny Skurts?
Speaker 1: But over there it's the community, all right.
Speaker 4: We're not here to talk pop. We're here to talk about pop pop.
Speaker 1: Douglas, I'm talking about number three. There you go. No, he's been having a good little pickle catches today. Yeah, a little found a little room today.
Speaker 2: Camp.
Speaker 1: I saw my guy Gay backus again on a one on one with showing speed around the outside there it's aggressive. Yeah, I like them. What are your guys initial thoughts. It's Evan, it's Paul, it's Mike, it's me, it's Alex in the booth.
Speaker 2: I'll jump in.
Speaker 5: Well, we talked about it walking off the field, and you might have heard it in the open of that. We all feel that this is a competitive training camp and it's kind of back and forth, and in recent years it felt like we come off the field and be like, that was offense, all offense today, or you know, oh man, the defense shut it down today.
Speaker 1: Now, the defense did have a good day to day. They finished with three straight.
Speaker 5: Interceptions, which was, you know, maybe the only time this summer I felt like we came out and been like that was like a put your fist down kind of ending to the practice. But I think it's a good sign that they're competitive the offense. They make some plays there are in a lot of days where it was like, man, they.
Speaker 1: Just didn't have it going. Now, Paul will tell you Drake throw a pretty bad pick.
Speaker 5: We could debate about why today, but otherwise it's it's been a good back and forth, competitive camp, and I think it's a sign of a good team with talent on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 4: I think it's been a boring camp because I honestly, I don't think that much has happened because there's not much drama. You know, there's not a lot of starting jobs up for grabs. Gonzalez is practicing, so that whole thing is kind of, you know, poured water on that fire potentially. But I would say the last couple of days, you know, not the walk through, but the last couple of practices and pads, it's starting to drag a little bit, and I think that guys are starting to get banged up. It's hot. They've been playing against the same people in the same Patriot on Patriot practices now for what six days in pads and day eleven of camp overall today, So I think everybody's really looking forward to the colts coming here next week and having somebody else to go up against anybody else, honestly.
Speaker 1: So they'll have a practice tomorrow, but the weekend is going to be a little light for them, so they'll get a little chance to recover.
Speaker 2: They'll get a rest over the weekend.
Speaker 3: But I agree with Evan and you know, all of the cliches that you throw out during the summer were very I think evident today. You know, you get into this period where you're a little bit, you know, starting to drag. It was really humid today, I thought on the field, I thought you could see visible signs of guys dragging at times. Charles Woods left early after sort of getting in a collision. Christian Barmore was really upset for for something I'm not exactly sure. He fired his helmet to the ground and went out down the back hill.
Speaker 2: You know, he was angry. I'm not saying he was injured.
Speaker 1: But you're angry because you got hurt.
Speaker 4: It could be.
Speaker 2: It could be also could.
Speaker 4: Be angry because somebody got under his skin.
Speaker 1: You could.
Speaker 3: You could just see like it start to wear on people today. And I do agree with Mike. I thought the defense, maybe for the first time, sort of had the better of that at the end of the practice.
Speaker 2: Now, I think they've been back and forth a lot.
Speaker 3: Today I thought was clearly a win for the defense, and they put an exclamation point at the end.
Speaker 2: With three straight picks.
Speaker 3: I agree with the the bad throw, the quote unquote bad throw that I said by Drake, I think may very well have been a situational because he had just thrown a pick and now they just put one more play from about the twenty five or thirty yard line.
Speaker 2: I think he had to throw one in the end.
Speaker 3: Zone, yeah, but he didn't throw it anywhere near Hunter Henry and Kevin Byard ended up virus dropping backlick in his hands.
Speaker 2: Like this is what I want to say.
Speaker 3: Like the sort of the intensity that was still there even though they were dragging, I thought was a positive sign.
Speaker 2: And like they were whooping it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like Bayer took a towel and he's like slamming it against the goalpost at the end, and you know that's the g rated version of whatever he was doing back there. They were getting louder and louder as the day went on. In between some of those periods, there was like a little red zone like individual drill like one on one, two on two combination routes, and the defense I thought, got the far better of that drill. And they were really loud. That was right in front of us on the hill, so you could hear the defense reacting to play after play after play, and you're right to Mario Douglas is the only one that really was looked really strong in that drill offensively well.
Speaker 1: The first play brown Aj caught one, but then the second time Gonzo got the better of him and tipped it a well.
Speaker 3: The first play, he caught it on Byered in the back of the end zone with one hand and he wasn't in bounds, but it was an unbelievable catch.
Speaker 2: I mean, did you see that catch? Could you guys look at that?
Speaker 4: It was a little bit of a babble, I thought, right, yeah, and so I think maybe I don't know if he got both feet and bounds with possession, but that.
Speaker 3: Was one of those combination routes and ended up on Byered coming across. Then there was one in the corner that Gonzo just sort of jumped and knocked away. He was like, and that was a tough throw by Drake too. I thought he could have put it out to the pilot on and he kind of put it back on the outside shoulder and Gonzales knocked away.
Speaker 5: But a lot of fun watching those two guys. I mean, we'll talk about That's what I'm going to say. I mean, not just I know we've talked about every show, but it's hard to miss these two guys going against each other best I mean best on best, good, good, not good.
Speaker 1: Gonzalez talked about it afterwards.
Speaker 5: You can just feel the competition and Gonzales, who isn't really a talker, I mean, he seems like he's relishing this matchup. He's enjoying each time. I mean, I thought he carried the majority of the day in eleven on eleven periods. But also that was interesting tying it back to what del Petti said a couple days ago when he said, you know, Bayard pulled the secondary together a few days ago and said, you know, we got to make more turnovers, we have to produce more. And you know they did that day, and then today they came out and finished that way and buyed leading the way. So you know, just a little early sign of kind of that leadership.
Speaker 1: All good stuff, all good stuff. Brandon of North Carolina agrees with you. He says, one thing that stands out for me in this camp is the reporting on Gonzo trash talking. Is this something that he has done in past camps or is this new?
Speaker 4: I I think he's got a little bit more in him than people think.
Speaker 1: But he's so quiet.
Speaker 4: He's so quiet that you don't hear it. Yeah, but I don't know. I I would not call the last couple of days super competitive. I don't I think that this. I think they're starting to drag a little bit. I do, and I think that they we had to practice inside. I thought that was a really good practice and we were right on top of it, so you could really feel the speed and the intensity. Talking to a lot of the players after practice, it kind of feels like, how many more moves can I throw at this guy? Like, you know, we've we've been going at it for two straight weeks. He knows my moves, like I don't really know what else to do. You know, the defense knows the plays that the offense is running because they keep seeing it over and over again. And I think everybody, like I said earlier, all the players keep just saying Colts next week, joint practice next week, preseason game next week. And I think that that's sort of at the point that we're at with Camp. Is is like the Patriots on Patriots stuff. Thing I think has kind of run its course for everybody.
Speaker 3: That's why when I said I feel like all those Camp cliches they were evident today, Like they're kind of tired of you know, it's the dog days of camp. We want to hit somebody with a different shirt on, you know, like all those things and you see them like they're talking about at the end of practice.
Speaker 2: It's it's been a drag, been a little bit of a drag.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's kind of But Gonzales did say that he likes to talk trash to two receivers, and he says it depends on the receiver. Some guys hate it when you don't talk to them, and that gets under their skin. Some guys, you know, you you know, maybe Brown is one of those guys that he knows you want to he wants to talk to. But he says it's good for both of them. Number one corner going against the number one receiver, and you sort of learn what it takes to to sort of go against that level of competition.
Speaker 5: And sometimes I feel like you overplay that, like going into camp and you're like, oh, and you know, to see Brown.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it doesn't really ever seem to work out that way, but like this is a camp where it really does seem to work out, Like those two guys are going against each other, constantly.
Speaker 1: I think when you have a coach like Rabel, he's gonna make sure that happens, Like why not, Why shouldn't the good go on the good right?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Why avoid that?
Speaker 2: During camp?
Speaker 3: You get that I think where it gets overrated a little bit. They'll say, like practice against them all year, like he probably won't run that many roads against Gonzo during the course the balance of the season, like he'll be going against scout looks and Brown will be going against scout.
Speaker 4: They usually do second Wednesdays. They do a good on good period on Wednesdays in the middle of the week, just so that the speed you feel the speed of what it's going to be like in the game.
Speaker 2: But they.
Speaker 4: It's I can't think of an example. It's super unique that Brown's an X receiver that plays on the outside and Gonzales is a boundary corner who plays on the outside. So just by their positions alone, they're gonna be covering each other or you know, running routes on one another. When you play someplace else on the field, it might not be every rep. This is literally every rep that these two guys are on the field together. They're going up against one one another, like if you play on the defensive line, like you might be, you know, over the left guard one play, and then you're over the center, and then you're over the right guard, and right you're moving around. Whereas this one is Brown trots out to the one, you know, the short side of the field, Gonzo tries trots out to the boundary, and it's just one on one. So it's a pretty unique matchup for that reason that I really can't think of another example of the two who.
Speaker 1: Will see more competition of that caliber in the season. Gonzo with receivers or a j. Brown with cornerbacks.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's a pretty good match up for both of them to start right out of the game. I think the better receiver. I don't think there's a lot of cornerbacks at that level. Well Gonzo and I mean I know zones. Just I'm trying to think of.
Speaker 3: Their schedule, like and that's one you know Seattle, Yeah, you know Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: I mean Joey Porter Junior is a good year, He's Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Brown will see a better player than Gonzo will Well it's okay, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean I think it's back and forth, chackuars. They'll see but they'll Bill see Travis Hunter.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know who's bulked up? Yeah, I saw that, which you know what I appreciated about that.
Speaker 3: You know how we always see his like is he put on way someone put that post of that and they actually had one from last year and one from this year.
Speaker 2: You can see a difference.
Speaker 5: Unless I've heard that a couple times about Drake and I don't really I don't see it.
Speaker 1: I see it a little bit in the legs, A little bit in the legs.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, eight five five past five hundred is the Hotline podcast at Patriots dot Com. Is the email address. I just want to remind everyone. Next week is joint practice with the Colts. Uh So we'll be live during practice on Tuesday, right yep. And then we've got our first preseason game on Thursday. That's unbelieve goodness career.
Speaker 10: We are.
Speaker 3: The first pregame show the goodness a week from a week from tonight. O give me tape to watch other teams to go up again. So along those lines, SO and Paul will definitely make this is will be good for you.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a good segment. What do you fascinated about I'm fascinating. I'm a little bit more excited, uh, which granted you've broken me of some of my preseason excitement, but doing the backup quarterbacks have been playing pretty well, you know. I mean, there were a couple of throws today. I'm sure they'd like that back. But Baron Morton, whose parents were here that was a nice story today, continues to get reps and all these practices. I just think in that within the structure of the preseason game watching to Vito and Morton, I think there's gon be a little bit more interest to me to see how they transfer what they've done on the practice field out onto the onto the game field. You know, last year, you know what you had in Dobbs. He's a veteran, he's been out there. But I just think it adds a little bit more interest to me what you find, like the quarterbacks are better.
Speaker 1: I think that do you find that, Like, obviously Drake's here and everybody else is below, But in terms of the style of the quarterback, there's a thread that goes through them, like there none of them are like so different that when they're in you have to do things differently.
Speaker 4: I would say Baron Morton is more of the traditional Josh McDaniels pocket passer. Like I think he's pretty accurate, gets the ball out quickly underneath to the first two levels. When he tries to push the ball down the field, I think it hangs on him a little bit. But I would say he's more that traditional McDaniels. The Vito moves around a little bit. None of them are athletic but Drake, but yeah, maybe a little bit. But I think the Vito's had a pretty strong weak Yeah I don't want maybe off platform, Yeah yeah, maybe not as much today, but yesterday in the bubble practice, I thought that he threw the ball really really well. You had to throw a booty today that was right through two zone defenders, threw it right in there. So I mean, compared to Dobbs and Ben woo Age last summer, this is definitely an improvement in terms of their data.
Speaker 1: I agree with that overall.
Speaker 3: I think those two guys are better than the guys that they replaced, and I'm just more encouraged by that. Like I don't need to see like, like I always tell you, I don't necessarily see because it's a game like, it doesn't mean more to me in a game.
Speaker 2: I think it's harder in practice. Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's more of a test in practice. I will look at the the joint practice and I'd be curious to see how many reps if any Morton gets in that scenario where it's a little bit more valuable. But yeah, I think those both of those guys I think have put a nice They've accounted for themselves.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: I think they both played well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Ifido played well against the Patriots last year the preseason. But this is the first chance we're getting to really see him practice, you know. I mean you see him during the year he was here, but I mean I barely ever see him do anything. But I just I'm impressed with the velocity he generates on his throat. He just seems to back's arm now he does.
Speaker 4: Sure, he sure does drive throws. I would deep balls, I think both those guys, Yeah, that's a good way. Kyle Williams. If we can get Kyle Williams a catchable deep ball, that would be great. Guys, that booty, the.
Speaker 2: Booty, why do you think Drake didn't throw that deep ball to him today.
Speaker 4: I don't know that he had. He I thought he had. I thought he had two guys open on that play down the field, and we being and Taylor looked at each other and we're like, why what did he just do? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I thought he had on the sideline on like a deep out that I thought was open. And then he also had you know, the safety jump Chisholm, and he had Williams one on one down the field if he wanted to give him a chance to and didn't throw it. So I'm not saying that Kyle Williams is like, you know, secretly Randy Moss or something like that, but he hasn't really had a lot of help from the quarterbacks. I mean, he's been under thrown a couple of times, you know, balls that he's got to go high point, which really isn't his game. So hopefully we get Kyle Williams some accurate deep balls and see what he can do.
Speaker 1: But you know, from what I see, the base looks like it's a J Brown pop Douglas, uh In Hollands.
Speaker 4: Well, Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 1: He wasn't out there today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's probably fair, and we'll figure out what they had they do with Booty, you know.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Booty. Okay, one sixteen, speaking of Booty. No, okay, So if you think that he's going to be traded, do you call up Tampa Bay and say, hey, listen, we'll give you him, maybe a couple of draft picks for Vita Vea, because right now the reports out of Tampa there's nothing but a trade is going to happen.
Speaker 2: Like it's what are the draft picks?
Speaker 4: Maybe uh second and a third and Booty for Vea. Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do it. You might have to do that.
Speaker 4: If it wasn't he at all pro one years old.
Speaker 2: Christian Barble for Vita Vea, noting like that.
Speaker 4: I don't like that at all.
Speaker 2: I don't need I do that in a blank.
Speaker 4: I'll take Vitavea all day, every day. But I don't I don't think the market is what is that high for him?
Speaker 1: You don't think so?
Speaker 2: No, he's older.
Speaker 4: I think if they're getting second and third round picture in.
Speaker 1: The contract for a contract, what you know, maybe a second or third this year and a second next year.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's a lot, and there's a lot.
Speaker 1: But I mean you might have to do that.
Speaker 4: I mean the Red Sox taught us, well, well, it's a thirty one year old player that wants a new contract like like that. There's not usually a huge market for guys like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think they're gonna like.
Speaker 5: Which feels like, you know, I mean, I think he's a great player, and it's just you know, you can look at every great player in the NFL and be like, well, I'd love to have him, but like, I think you have to be realistic about what they have invested in the defensive line where their holes are, you know, and giving up a bunch of stuff to get him. Like would he make the team better, yes, But I just think if.
Speaker 1: You're bringing Vita Vea, Zach Kerr has to like add some pages to the defensive playbook because he's you know, he's a nose tackle that you don't have right now, and now I can do things that maybe I couldn't do before. But when he's on the field, I'm limiting.
Speaker 4: The question is is how do you expand the Tonga role into a Veya role? Right? Yeah, because Tonga playing thirty three percent of the snaps last year. You're not going to trade for Vidavea and have him played thirty three percent of the snaps, right, So how do you go about? And Vea can play everywhere like he's a nose traditionally, but he can play a lot like willfour could Like he can play all over the line, So it's not just that he's playing on the nose, but theoretically, like your three man line is Williams bea barmore, which is terrific, But how much can you have those three on the field together? So that means that somebody making thirty million dollars is standing on the sideline on third down, which is I guess fine if you're willing to do that. But to Mike's point, it's like a lot of resources sunk into one position group. That makes it a little bit crowded.
Speaker 1: But well, if those three can make third down, third and long every time, it might be worth it.
Speaker 4: He's a hell of a player. I just given the situation, if he really wants out of Tampa and he wants a new contract, I just you know, I think we see how this goes where the asking price is usually not as high as you think in those types of situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because of the contract.
Speaker 4: I didn't think of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah in his age it's thirty one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: The other thing I want to talk about GM type of under the GM umbrella is all these deals that are going down in the league and which then you think about our situation, and you've got Gonzo waiting for his but also with a Spoon waiting for his. Both those guys are with the same agent, are still waiting. So what does that tell you, if anything? But what does that indicate to you? If anything?
Speaker 4: Cornerback market is not moving, and I think a lot of these cornerbacks are not getting paid going into their third year in the NFL, to which I think is something that for gon Zone Witherspoon is probably the tough part of that negotiation. You know, the the Chiefs kind of did everybody dirty by trading McDuffie and not paying him. So they carried McDuffie on the roster till his fourth year and then just traded him to the Rams, and the Rams paid McDuffie. So the Chiefs made McDuffie play the fourth year. And I think that that's where the cornerback market is headed now. For a lot of these guys are getting forced to wait until their fourth season to cash in, and Gonzales and Witherspoon are not going into their fourth season, they're going into their third season. So is that time in the four season excuse me, fifth season? Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Know what you were talking about. I wanted to make sure we did confuse.
Speaker 4: And so that I think is, you know, a big part of what's happening here, and maybe to an extent that the cornerback market is devalued to an extent by teams. I think that there's a lot of teams that feel like we can get pressure, and we can figure out ways to get pressure in exotic ways to get pressure, and maybe we don't need to pay the cornerback thirty five million dollars a year, which is I think what the chiefs told you. With McDuffie, we have Spagnolo. He's going to draw blitzes and he's going to make life easier on the corners. So I think that that's the biggest takeaway to me, is that the running back market moved. The wide receiver market obviously is going to continue to move, but the market. That's not moving is corner. You know, that's the one that everybody's waiting, and so if you're Gonzales, it's you're waiting.
Speaker 1: It's just a good sign that he's continue to be out there.
Speaker 5: But you know, we'll see. I hope this doesn't go into the season, you know, I think that might be not idem.
Speaker 3: It tells me that Witherspoon and Gonzales are not interested in becoming just the highest paid corners.
Speaker 2: They're looking to move that needle a little bit.
Speaker 1: So you're thinking the agent's playing hardball.
Speaker 3: Yep, Well, the players are playing hardball. Players are not interested in making thirty one point five million a year.
Speaker 6: Or a.
Speaker 4: Or an esque later contract, which is what a lot of these younger corners get. Where they're going to give you like a raise for your fourth season and then then the contract really doesn't kick in until your fifth season. So you're making more than what you would make as a rookie on a rookie contract in your fourth year, but you're not getting the bag. You don't get the bag until year five. And that's how a lot of these other like a Sauce Gardner, that's how their contracts have been structured, and so I think a lot of these guys, Witherspoon, Gonzales, they might want They're saying, no, we want the bag today.
Speaker 2: I want to sit in those contracts.
Speaker 3: They're interested in their own And I think there was a clip on Hard Knocks that some of the guys were talking about today. I didn't see it, so I might be missing this a little bit, but I guess Witherspoon had conversation and was talking about how, you know, beyond quarterback, corner is the most valuable position, and that's how he looks at it. I'm sure Gonzalez looks at it the same way. You know, Gonzalez talked about do you agree with that? I think it's in a small group, you know, if you want to put edge rusher over that or wide receiver over that. I mean, I can listen to your argument. I don't know, but that's it for me, you know.
Speaker 2: I know like people.
Speaker 3: I heard it locally on a radio show here about two weeks ago, someone said that they don't value the cornerback position at all. They think it's like way down the list, and I was like, I couldn't possibly disagree more. I by they like the Patriots. Was no this guy on the radio, this one one of the guys. It wasn't a caller. It was no, it wasn't a caller sewing on it who tends to have the opposite opinion of absolutely everybody all the time, Mark Dundaro. It was like, I was like thinking I was in bizarro land. But I think it's an extremely valuable position. I think it's an extremely hard one to get right, as Bill Belichick showed you in his constant search after he let Sante Samuel walk until he stumbled on Revis like Taliban Revis like, just as mercenaries came in and sort of saved him. After all of those years of second round corner stunk, second round corner stunk, Terrence John will Will you know, Cyrus Jones, Hurling, Moore, Rossi Dolling were no naming second round corners.
Speaker 2: I just think that couldn't play. Jonathan will Height was a fourth round corner.
Speaker 4: Some of that, though, with Bill was that they played so much man and like, I think that one of the things we're seeing across the league is that teams are playing less and less man coverage. So if you're not going to be playing a ton of pure man coverage. Then I can understand the argument of why are we paying this guy thirty five million dollars to play the flat and cover two like like, well, you know, we we're kind of.
Speaker 1: But but again it's chicken array. Is the reason why a lot of the league's playing more zone is because they don't have that elite corner.
Speaker 4: It's possible. I'm just saying, like, I think that's how a lot of teams look at it. I think a lot of teams. You know, normally you look at the premium positions outside a quarterback being people impacting the passing game, receivers, corners, left tackles, pass rushers, right, But like, as of right now, the pass rushers are getting paid, the wide receivers are getting paid, the premium left tackles are getting paid. The corners are the ones that are singing for their supper a little bit. And I think is interesting.
Speaker 3: Specific to Gonzales, and this is what launched this today in his because he talked to the media after practice today. He was asked specifically about his draft class, which is first of all, a terrific first round. There's a lot of hits in that first round and those guys are all getting paid. Jamiir Gibbs is still waiting, and Gonzales and Witherspoon is still waiting.
Speaker 4: I believe Jamir Gibbs is getting signed right as we speak.
Speaker 3: Oh, is that him getting off the field today. Yeah, supposedly he was out at the walkthrough and they.
Speaker 4: Paid Bijon, they paid Jonathan Taylor, and so his contract is going to be basically what Bijon got in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: So three for seventy five something like that. So that that draft class, supposedly, I think there's I think the numbers is like ten, like eight eight Pro bowlers or something like that in the first round, and six of the eight have already gotten paid or something like like ten of them, like eight of But I mean, you know, Robinson got it. You know, we just talked about the Darnelle right the tackle in Chicago I think was like the tenth or eleventh pick of that draft.
Speaker 2: He got it, just just received a big contract.
Speaker 3: So Gonzales absolutely, everything he answered about the contract was I'm gonna let my camp, you know, my team handle that. I'm not going to talk about any of that. He was asked specifically about taking notice of his draft class. Yes, yes he has. So this is I agree with Mike. It's something to monitor and that you hope gets done before the season. You don't want this lingering into the season.
Speaker 4: But bizarre that the running backs are getting paid. But the corner I.
Speaker 3: Kind of like, I mean, but you know, I don't like the running back general, you know, I do kind of like those kinds of contracts. Get them early, give him maybe more money, and you want to give them, but it's short term. You know, it's only three years, and you let him set the market, like that's the highest paid running back of all time.
Speaker 2: B John Robinson. Now Evan's telling me that Gibbs is going to get the same thing.
Speaker 1: Taylor didn't break it.
Speaker 3: So you know, I don't know what Tailor's numbers are, but I can't imagine you got more than twenty five a year at his age, it.
Speaker 1: Was pretty big.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Do you think j Brown's presence has anything to do with wagons is practicing? Like I just I imagine we were headed towards the potential hold in and he wasn't going to participate, And I think about all the things that we and he would have missed out on had he not been in these practices going against and I you know, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Been good for him the player. He stayed healthy.
Speaker 5: That was a concern obviously, but you know, to be able to go be out there and go against that guy, then it's it's a good bonus.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that would you know, it's like, well, I'm going to hold out, but oh he's here.
Speaker 2: I won't.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think he's practicing because there's a chance that he's going to have to play this year on the rookie contract. And if he's going to have to pay this year on the rookie contract, he's got to play well because whether it's the Patriots or at somebody else, you won't you're showcasing. You know that you're worth at thirty plus million dollars a year. You know, I think they all all those corners, and I keep bringing up, but all those corners, just watch McDuffie just do this exact same thing he played the fourth year on the rookie contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what about all the other ones that didn't like Stingley and Startan and Sauce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but years ago, like no, no, not that years ago, two or three years ago now, but.
Speaker 3: When we're all in the same era of football here though, I understand, but so one guy broke the mold, like the Duffy had to wait till.
Speaker 4: The fourth YEARL like, you're practicing, because it doesn't make any sense for him to be practicing.
Speaker 3: I I think he's choosing attacked. I think he thinks this is the best way for him to get his contract.
Speaker 4: I think that I maybe, but I I think that there's that he feels like there's a chance that he might have his win this.
Speaker 1: Year in practicing. Yes, okay, so they're both practicing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now the word is in Seattle they have a strict policy that we're not going to negotiate with a player who's not practiced, Harris, to which I would say, Okay, I'm not practicing. You don't want to negotiate with me. Okay, I'm whole, I'm I'm I got a hamstring. I can't practice.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't understand how that works, you know.
Speaker 3: And Gonzalez has been asked a couple of times about do the Patriots have a policy like that, and he hasn't really gone And.
Speaker 1: I think if you're a team and you say that we don't negotiate with people who don't practice, meaning we do negotiate. If you do practice, you better get the job done. You better get the deal done because you know the player is trusting you. Okay, I'm going to practice now, and you say you're going to negotiate. You know, if I hear from my agent that you're not being above board in your offers, then we've got a big problem. So you know, you have you have to follow through if you're the team. You know, is there a chance that this changes though?
Speaker 5: And all of a sudden and I like today I heard somebody mention Gonzalez's name as they were coming out, and I was like, oh, is he not here today? Like I feel like I'm still bracing myself that he might not be out there, you know that that maybe negotiations have taken a turn and he's getting fed up, Like and can that possibly happen into the regular season?
Speaker 1: Like is there you know what I mean? Like, guys, don't all of a sudden you pull you pull your hamstring?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean he's got to play a certain amount of games to a crew season and all. But that's like we're ways away from all that crap. But I just I just feel like we're I'm trying to figure out ways other than him saying the right things of like, I'm just trying to get better, and if I'm not practicing, I'm not getting better. Like from his side of it, you know, we're just talking about the running backs like Jamir Gibbs and Bjhon Robinson were holding out they were not practicing, right, But the two corners are practicing, and they have the same agent, and they're in this exame exact situation as too.
Speaker 3: It's it's interesting, yeah, And I do think that this is where the agent might have something to do with it.
Speaker 2: The agent might be encouraging them to practice.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's a coincidence that they're both doing the same thing, right, Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 2: Good point too.
Speaker 5: I just I guess my brain's wondering who's more valuable to their team, you know, Witherspoon. I mean, they're different players, you know, and that's and their different schemes, and you know, I just I wonder.
Speaker 1: How you suss that out as the agent, you know. Well, I mean what Evan said earlier made me think, you know, teams that have plans to do a lot of blitzing, do a lot of early pressure. Does the value of your cornerbacks go down because of that? It's just something to think about. I mean, I it's kind of their marxis chillnes right.
Speaker 5: Like noide early, downtown, slide him inside late in the third, Yeah, and then him and even more kind of play off of each other.
Speaker 1: I just to me, it's it's it's hard to imagine that when you have an elite cornerback. It isn't a luxury, It isn't something where there's not a lot of them. But when you have one, Jesus makes everything so much easier on defense when you can just take away that their best player.
Speaker 5: It's just the conversation with Drake and A. J. Brown, You see like how they have to figure it out. It's like you said, it's a problem, you know, figuring out how.
Speaker 1: He's going to play, what he's good at. It just to me, it just makes running a defense easier when you know you've taken away their best producer.
Speaker 3: Maybe the offense is going to be so good it doesn't matter. Well, I think it it was only half Joe. If they want to play it was pretty good last year and it should be better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they want to play defense the way they did in the playoffs last year, and I think the way that we've seen out at practice a little bit where they are going to be kind of scheming it up in the pass rush to get guys in pressure to the quarterback. Then you really are putting a lot of stress on your corners because they're going to be on islands for a lot of those those times. So to not have a guy like Gonzalez who can travel with the JSN or a Courtland Sutton or you know whoever, that does make it harder to blitz the quarterback forty five percent of the time.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 4: I think that that when you are putting all your resources into the pass rush and in terms of numbers, and you're really only playing with maybe a safety over the top or maybe nobody over the top, then you really need to have a corner like that that can go out there and cover. So, I don't know, I find the corner is really valuable to fred I. I just find it really interesting that everybody else is getting paid, all the other positions are getting paid, and they're all kind of going about it different.
Speaker 1: It's really only these two guys because the other corner, I know, he's older, he's on his third contract, but he got paid.
Speaker 4: Who who's done some war got a sweetener paid? Well, he got a sweetener. But that was that just a little different a market correction. But like that, like say Flowers got paid, JSN got paid, Will Anderson got paid like all these other positions. You know, the two running backs are not.
Speaker 2: Going to get paid a couple of like great draft picks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think didn't. Jack Campbell got paid to like so like just going right down the list, the two guys that are waiting are the corners with the same agent, with the same agent, so you can't so maybe the other.
Speaker 1: Guy they're an outlier and they're a little weird.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe that's just this kind of I'm not just dis missing Evans theory. I just you know, i'd fire my agent if I let Trent McDuffie's contract completely dictate the market just one guy, you know, yeah, like you know, the team's never let one outlier, Like not everybody got two hundred and fifty million because Deshaun Watson signed a contract like that guaranteed right that you know that that became an outlier contract. So it never goes the outlier that goes the wrong way, never like permeates the league. But now we got an outliar that went the other way that they made him play the fourth year and then he had to wait and get traded and get his money somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Is gonna prevent Gonzales and Witherspoon from him.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying that that was the most recent example of a cornerback that was on a rookie contract, that was a really good player that was trying to get paid, and that's how it went for McDuffie. Now the Chiefs have a history of that, so maybe that's just the steed. Yeah, it might just be a Kansas City thing. But we're here on August sixth. Then with the Spoon, Gonzales still don't have contracts, all right?
Speaker 1: A five to five pass five hundred is the hotline podcast at Patriots dot com is the email address.
Speaker 2: Sneaky, poorly run organization despite all the winning.
Speaker 1: Oh when you got mahomes Hermes in d C, what's up herm? It's got a plane?
Speaker 12: I guess hey, I kind of a I'll guess maybe like an odd question today in the spirit of the Eagles come in to us for a joint practice in about two weeks.
Speaker 13: Right, then, it seems to be a national love affair with Joe Burrow. And if you just oppose it to the conversations rounding Jail and Hurt, I just I just don't get it because it seems like Joe Burr is being.
Speaker 14: Put in this pedestal like he you know, you know, won every year since he joined the league. And then on the flip side, it almost like seems like the constations around Jeling hurt Jalen.
Speaker 15: Hurts is that all he's been doing is losing. So I guess my question to you all is what is the love affair with with Joe Burrow on a national level?
Speaker 13: And then duppo to the conversation with Jayleen Hurt.
Speaker 1: Well, Jalen Hurts might be the Jalen Brown of the NFL. You know, he wins a lot and probably doesn't get the respect he thinks he should get. Uh, And you know, Joe Burrow might get more than you know, at least herm it sounds like you think he should get. I think, you know, with Burrow, there's like he's a good marketing tool. I mean, like he wears the first coats and like he's Joe cool and and he is a good quarterback when he's healthy.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about that. What do you think is better? What do you think is a better an NFL court?
Speaker 1: Joe Joe Burrow not not even close. But he hasn't won as much as Jalen Hurs.
Speaker 4: Well, if you put.
Speaker 1: That's the bottom line, he hasn't won as much as Jalen.
Speaker 3: You can't make an argument that the Jalen Hurts Eagles are underachieved. Maybe they're kind of stacked, but but I think I think, I just think.
Speaker 1: That Burrow is a for marketing purposes and as as far as you know faces of the NFL, I think that he's easier to sell.
Speaker 4: I think that there's Daniel Jeremia always uses the analogy of like there's bus drivers and there's passengers. Joe Burrow is a bus driver, Like you put that guy at the wheel and he is driving force of your team's success. Yeah, Jalen Hurts I think is more of a passenger. Like I think Jalen Hurts has been on really now he's played really well, and I think he's give quarter back. I don't think he's a different but I think he's you know, when you have that offensive line in Saquon Barkley and A. J. Brown and DeVante Smith and Dallas Goddard in.
Speaker 2: The defense in a very good defend roster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still one of the best rosters.
Speaker 1: In Joe Burrow was wasted in Cincinnati. It's one of the you know, I always say, uh, Andrew Luck, It's a shame that he was on the Colts.
Speaker 2: Because he's your modern day Andrew Luck.
Speaker 1: He's wasted there.
Speaker 2: I also thought it was a remarkably gifted quarterback.
Speaker 4: He's been more successful than Andrew Luck. I would say, like your Super Bowl got to one and got back to champions but.
Speaker 2: I think Luck probably has a much better postseason.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow on the Giants. Can you imagine that, you know?
Speaker 4: Or why we want to put him on the Giant New York, Oh, New York.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow in l A on the Chargers. It is mean.
Speaker 4: Joe Burrow was like, that was a one possession game in that Super Bowl that they lost to the Rams. You know, they had they had the ball and they were driving.
Speaker 3: A lot of people will tell you if Aaron Donald didn't hit him on that throw, he had Chase open down the sideline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fourth.
Speaker 4: Double plays away from winning a Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: That's what makes him so interesting to me, is I mean until you got aj Brown, we spent similar time coveting wide receivers and I mean, god, how much time do we talk about trying to get t Higgins?
Speaker 1: And he's had both those guys and you know, really is just injuries that people point to.
Speaker 5: But at a certain point, when do you kind of say, look like, I know your offensive line hasn't been great, but you've got two of I mean Jamar Chase probably the best receiver in the league, T Higgins not too far behind him that you know, you have those two weapons and an excellent quarterback.
Speaker 2: Like, what's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's football. You need a little bit more than that.
Speaker 4: And you know it said defense is the problem? Like the defense two years ago, through what forty five touchdown passes, the defense has given up thirty points game.
Speaker 1: I mean Tom Brady twenty eleven.
Speaker 5: Tom Brady had a terrible defense too, and then he get their lines has stopped.
Speaker 1: They've been trying to fix it left and right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think less about the line because he had the worst offensive line in football, went to the Super Bowl, but he gets hurt a lot, so that's on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got I mean something, you got to say one thing.
Speaker 5: We all kind of point to right, like is there there's no other real like, come on, dude, get it together, Like he's just it's injuries.
Speaker 1: Jo Burrow and Dallas.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine that? Poor Joe Burrow Cincinnati, I really, I mean two years ago their problem was definitely their defense has been there, threw all the touchdown talk for a handful of years. But I think, guy, you know, he has less to prove though than like Josh Allen or Herbert or Lamar. Like he's done more winning than those guys have.
Speaker 2: So Joe Burrow has done more winning than Josh Allen in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's like five and two, Paul, he went to a super bowls a super Bowl. Okay, So why do we why do we analyze the games if we just have to look and see who won the Super Bowl and said he's won more in the playoffs, you think.
Speaker 2: I do think he's won more in the playoffs because.
Speaker 4: Josh Allens won a bunch of wild card games that we're gonna rack him up.
Speaker 1: So that way we do.
Speaker 2: So Joe, what what Joe Burrows five and two in the playoffs?
Speaker 1: I just looked it up.
Speaker 3: And Andrew was four and four, and so he does have a better record than Andrew Lucky we were comparing. But Josh Allen, which Josh Allen's got like ten or twelve playoff wins?
Speaker 4: Does he not? He's been in the playoffs more?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So now we're so now we're not crediting for making the playoffs, but we're giving Borrow credit for not making the players go to.
Speaker 4: The super Bowl. But don't I said he's had more success in the playoffs. I don't think he has.
Speaker 1: Is that not what I said?
Speaker 2: I think eight wins is better than five?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: So which a wild card round is better than five?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So let's take all the wildcard games away. Joe Burrow went to many non wildcard games. Is Joe Burrow won one?
Speaker 4: He went to an AFC championship game that he lost to Mahomes and they had to hit along the sideline that they called in the Chiefs favor. They lost that game and then he made it. That was back to back years, right.
Speaker 2: So he won wildcard game that year.
Speaker 4: Okay, So so Josh Allen went to the AFC Championship game the COVID year and hasn't been back. We're twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: So it's I would say that, but Adlin's there more often. He's had a better playoff track record. Okay, like one run that he made he got.
Speaker 2: To the super Bowl. It's two runs though, it's not one run to the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, Alan did the same thing. Allen got to conference championship. They losing the conference championship, just.
Speaker 2: Like Burrow did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it didn't get blown one time.
Speaker 2: One time. Borrow got to the super Bowl. So that makes him better.
Speaker 4: I didn't say it made him better.
Speaker 2: You said he had more playoff success. I don't think he has. He hasn't been to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Agree, Like, if you want to say he's had more playoff success than Lamar Jackson, that I would, I would. I would agree with Lamar Jackson's really never had any playoff runs. None or Herbert, well, Herbert has never won the playoff.
Speaker 1: Gave me listen, I give Joe Burrow that's a blow. Joe Burrow getting to the playoffs once with that team. I give him a lot of credit for But Josh, I think Josh Allen has been more successful.
Speaker 4: I mean in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Was Buffalo any less a mess when Joe Burrow Josh Allen got there than since it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Right, Like that's a mess of.
Speaker 4: We have different definitions of playoff success and that's okay. We don't have to keep arguing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, success for me is playing well in playoff games.
Speaker 1: That's I think.
Speaker 4: Burrows played really well in the playoffs. Now he hasn't been there as often as Josh, but that's part of it.
Speaker 1: I mean to say, like when he's there, he's played well. It is true, but he's not there a lot.
Speaker 4: That's okay. That wasn't my argument. That's not what I said. And if he would keep repeating that, like if he was, if he was, like.
Speaker 2: What did you say that Josh Allen was eight and seven?
Speaker 1: Eight and seven?
Speaker 2: If he was, if he was like eight and seven, I.
Speaker 3: Would say he's had more playoff success than Josh Allen because he's there every year and he made deeper run. He made deeper runs than Josh Allen, but he went twice. Like when he was there one year, he had a more success than Josh Allen. But I'd rather be the guy that gets there every year, so would I. That's not that's more success in the playoffs. I think that's more playoff success.
Speaker 4: Jordan says the post and we went whoop.
Speaker 2: Jordan say, I think he had more playoff successes. You don't like. That's not moving the goal post. We disagree. Goal post was here, we went not really you can move goal posts. I still disagree with you.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow is a bus driver. If he was my bus driver, I would never get to school because he's hurt every season. Best ability is availability and he gets overrated over one good season and beating Mahomes on the road.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, talent wise he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to go there. Joe Burrow is one of the top three or four quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I think there's four, and I think he's one of them. But like, I mean, I think that's silly to kill Joe Burrow because he gets hurt all the time. Like I think that's a mark against him. But like to say that you'd never get to like, I don't know. I just think this is a Patriots thing, like who we have to lash out, We have to lash out at all the other good quarterbacks because no one's as good as Brady and now no one's as good as Drake.
Speaker 2: So that's the case.
Speaker 3: Did you see some of these rankings that have come out where like Drake has been consistently in the second tier. Yeah, how many comments you're getting on these?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like this is is he being snubbed?
Speaker 1: It wrankles, Uh Patriots.
Speaker 4: Fans not not by Matt McCarthy said that Geez sunk in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: And that's that's all. Okay, good discussion, discussion.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it. Chris with a T, I A N.
Speaker 4: What's up, Christian?
Speaker 10: Hey, I'm with that. And Josh Allen sucks in the playoffs?
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks Christian.
Speaker 1: That was one of the great ASC championships of all time.
Speaker 4: I mean him going up against mahomes.
Speaker 2: Back that that was a divisional round doesn't count.
Speaker 3: Sorry, sorry, bad argument, so it doesn't count, Tomato, divisional ground doesn't count.
Speaker 4: Okay, but I moved the goal post.
Speaker 10: I had a question about the private equity stake that the Patriots sold and I think it was like eight or.
Speaker 13: Nine percent or something.
Speaker 10: How can that How can that money be used? And does the team? Does the team get all that money once? And can it be used you know, for for for players and for contracts or is it always designated for like certain certain things. I always wonder that, and I even when I read online, can never really get like a like a clear answer. Well, it was just curious. How like that structured?
Speaker 4: I don't know how it's structured.
Speaker 1: But I know this. If you've got that money like on paper in the bank, you can use it to leverage loans at low rates. You know, so even if you don't get in in a lump sum liquid, yeah, the bank knows it's coming so that you can do more things.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a building down the street that, yes, is now a building because they sold eight percent of the team to private right.
Speaker 1: And so one thing I do know though is once you do that as an owner, now it's always in all these agreements that now they can that you have to be audited by all that all the result of that has to go to those equity partners, you know, so you're you're under more of a microscope when you take on those people.
Speaker 3: So one of the reasons that teams like to use the private equity stuff Christian is because it allows them to have that liquid cache, which you're required to have in escrow. When you sign these enormous contracts like the one we're talking about with Gonzales and the one the one that's coming up meat year with Drake May, you have to have. The NFL mandates that you have an escrow account. If you give someone a fifty million dollars signing bonus that he's due on January first, you need to have that money and escrow in advance of that, and a lot of you know, some owners don't really have that kind of liquid. Like every team can build the facility down the street, you know, down the parking lot with loans and leveraging money and whatever. That's they're great businessman and that's what they've made their money doing. But when you have a stipulation that says if you want to sign this player to this contract and you're giving them this amount of money, you need to have X amount of millions of dollars, not in like you know, in your four oh one K or not in the bank. You know, like you need to have the actual dollars. That's where the private equity stuff I think is coming in. I think that's you know, you know, I don't and I don't even pretend to be a business guy at that level. But you can make an argument either way like that's what it's good, that's why it's good, or that could be why it's bad.
Speaker 1: But also you know, listen, like let's just say you were a team that took on equity partners and didn't have big contracts coming up. I guess you can use that money anyway you want, but you're beholden to that investor. That's that's an investment for them, and.
Speaker 3: You also need to get yeah, that that investment needs to get immediately returned upon your success.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: So you can't say, yeah, yeah, I know, I owe you that one hundred and ten million, but I'm going to wait on that as soon as you you got to get it back to that.
Speaker 4: I think that a big part of why private equity has found its way into sports is because a lot of these owners have owned these teams for years and years and years, and even though their worth is tied up in the asset like they are worth ten billion dollars, because the Patriots are worth ten billion dollars, But that doesn't mean they have ten billion dollars of cash in their mattress right right, So in order for them to cash out on the asset, they would have to sell the asset. So what they're allowing teams to do. And this kind of came into football because a lot of these teams are owned by families that have owned the teams for generations. So the Rooneys, for example, like haven't been able to really cash in on the asset in fifty years, you know, So like this is the way that they go about allowing them to get more liquid cash on hand is selling these you know, the Patriots sold eight percent of the team to private equity. That Dad's a big reason why they're doing it is because really, I know, it sounds crazy because they're net worse or in the billions, but it's because their portfolios of net worth is in the billions, not because they actually have that that's not.
Speaker 5: And you look on Zillo and says your home value is good, but go take out a he lock loan against the value of your house. You know, it's kind of how it works. Loosen up some of that.
Speaker 1: But I did read somewhere where last year or beginning of this year, every owner in the NFL got a check for almost half a billion dollars.
Speaker 5: And that's before just for the c BA stuff, anything for like team podcast hosts.
Speaker 10: Or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it doesn't. Yeah the house which, by the way, episode yeah, episode four will will hit on Sunday. Episode three really taking off.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we interviewed a guy named Bob King, and I guess he has a good circle of people, so spread the word. What the king specialty was he do? He is a restauranteur. He owned many restaurants and sandwich. Yeah, and then uh not this episode, we've already filmed it. But the episode after we're going to be doing home security for homeowners. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: You know, serial killers often just find open doors, like you know, it's just like they go and they try doors, they get in, they go right. And that was one of the things that from this many serial killer books I've read that I don't alarmed and just make sure your.
Speaker 1: Doors are locked. People don't don't make it easy, don't make it serial killers.
Speaker 4: I like the apartment. There's only one way in one way curious watch any furious?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I bet you that would be one that Lane might.
Speaker 1: Like Cam in Florida. What's up, Cam, Cam Calm.
Speaker 8: They can it's Ken, Ken Ken, Hey, guys, how are you doing?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 1: I'm getting palms up from our producer, but we'll go ahead.
Speaker 7: Ken, No problem. Hey guys, morning show, this ring. I heard something about.
Speaker 16: For booty.
Speaker 8: What would you guys think about something like that?
Speaker 17: I do that.
Speaker 4: We we did that a couple of I would.
Speaker 1: I would do it.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Giants would.
Speaker 4: I don't think that that's really been that talk has kind of cooled off.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks, boom Good is definitely.
Speaker 4: Still on the you know, he'll hang up and we'll see. But I feel like Thibodeau, we haven't heard quite as much about him getting moved as we did maybe in the spring.
Speaker 3: Now, neighbors, he looks he looks better than he looks like. Yeah, he's been back on the practice field. So maybe the urgency for depth of receiver maybe isn't as big for the for the Giants, But I know that I don't know that they're going to get it. This is like Evan's thing, like these guys always seem like they're going to get more than they do.
Speaker 2: I agree with Evan on that they were talking about like a Day two pick for Thibodeaux, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a third or fourth round pick, similar to like what Jalen Phillips got when he moved at the deadline last year.
Speaker 2: But I'm not sure that Booty gets it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna t Paul up on this email. Andrew writes, and when is enough enough? We have contracts getting more and more extravagant, and I understand we do have some increase in salary caps to help that issue. I think the league needs to get back to reality because these franchisers are having trouble even building a great team because a player and agent greed. Greed, bad calls, and bad rules are ruining the league in the entertainment for watchers.
Speaker 2: I agree with the last part of that email strongly. The bad calls are ruining the league.
Speaker 1: I like that, that's just yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, we should hold a bag like the way of the world, Like I just every time it's like can you believe? I can't believe how much it was, because that's just the way that sports contracts are going.
Speaker 1: It's a little jarring to me though, when you have to switch.
Speaker 5: Sports and they talk about like a huge hockey contract and it's like, oh yeah, yeah, like that's big.
Speaker 4: You know the contract that the guy in San Jose got, that was like a legit contract, like you know, as far as hockey goes, that was quite the contract that he got.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean when you're what did you say that the dental and hockey, what did you say they ran the better?
Speaker 4: That would be expensive?
Speaker 1: What did you say they cash a check for close to like four hundred and fifty million, four.
Speaker 3: Hundred, four hundred and fifty million dollars but doing nothing but existing?
Speaker 1: What did that money come to TV for.
Speaker 2: Just being there?
Speaker 3: Like, and if you're good at it, that's craft is and you you can sell rights to different things and you know, maximize your revenue.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine money?
Speaker 4: This is the problem with these leagues, Like this is you know, more of a problem in baseball, I would say in other leagues, but like you have teams with that are collecting the revenue share check that's equal to everybody else, and their payrolls are like, you know nothing, And the biggest problem in base and so there their return on investment is massive because they're making the revenue share check, but their payroll is so low, whereas like a team like the Dodgers, you know, they have a really big payroll and they're making a ton of money because of their TV contract right now.
Speaker 2: They have a huge regional name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like that, that's I don't think that's as big of a problem in football. But in baseball, do.
Speaker 3: You really think there's a team in I mean, I know that the emailer probably wasn't being one hundred percent, and he's probably trying to set me off, But do you really think there's a team in football that doesn't have the money to compete?
Speaker 1: Well, I think a lot of I think there are some teams whose owners don't have the money. That's not what I asked, but you know, and now that they're allowing these equity partners, there's no excuse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And this is why I just don't think that there.
Speaker 3: I totally see the difference between a Dallas or a New England in Washington and the Giants to like, you know, Arizona, you know, Carolina. I totally see the difference. Green Bay is probably the poster child for that. But like there's no difference in what these teams can set spend on their salaries. Like that's all that you might be able to make more money and be we're valuable of a franchise with the brand name that Pittsburgh and Dallas and New England have, But I'm sorry, Like, when you're catching a four hundred and fifty million dollar check just for being in the NFL, you can pay all the money you want to.
Speaker 2: Your your roster.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a reason the salary cap is exploding every year because the revenues are exploding every year. Next year, two years, they're going they're trying to have like sixteen international games, you know much money they make off of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's why they do them is I think there's going to be another spike because the TV contract is coming up soon.
Speaker 2: They're trying it's really not coming up. They're going to get out of it and make a new one.
Speaker 1: Well I heard Fox isn't interested right now.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you you know a lot of people. I think I can put Paul in this category. Like the streaming is going to get me more, you know, like Amazon, Netflix. I think they're going to get more games.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'm not gonna, like, you know, get any sympathy for owners by saying this. But there is overhead. I mean, for example, just you know, building down the street here is over two hundred million dollars. Then you know there's if you have an older stadium, you have to renovate or else it's gonna go and disrepair, you know. So there's a lot of money you have to spend there. So there are and then you know, not to mention, you know, the money that you have to have an s grow for big contracts that are coming up.
Speaker 3: So in the most successful pre and post game show in the history of the NFL does not come.
Speaker 2: Cheap, you know, So actually it does.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there is a lot. There is a lot of money coming in, there's no doubt. But there's also a lot of money going out for these teams.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing that you're working for the team has taught me just watching visually US travel and the amount of money moving that goes into US traveling where there's seven buses and a team plane and an X score two hundred hotel rooms.
Speaker 2: Sorry what an ES score for bars?
Speaker 4: The police escort police. You know, all the food, food that's available to the players on the road, the conference rooms, the whole takeover of the hotel, the people going early to scout the hotel that we're going to, like all these different things. I'm just thinking to myself, how many millions does this cost to just take the team and move trip per trip, because it like, it's insane. It's actually insane the operation. It's it's really cool to watch, but it's insane the operation and the cost that it must be to move us.
Speaker 1: I remember my wife the first time she went, I think was a Super Bowl trip back in one, but she couldn't believe that we got free Dunkin Donuts on the bus and there was an escort, and like, we just take that for granted.
Speaker 4: The police escort is something. When I went on my very first trip, I was like, Mom, Dad, we have a police escort.
Speaker 1: Look at I always myself wondering is this really necessary?
Speaker 3: Yes, the time it's not, but there are times where you need to get to the plane and it's it's money.
Speaker 5: It's I just see the people who are like on the on ramp and you see the state trooper like holding everybody there and they must and it's never happened to me, But you're sitting there like, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: And then you see like you're so close.
Speaker 3: It happened to me a couple of times with the World Cup, you know, like the teams are coming to the facility to get over to be practiced or something and yeah and wait, it's just one mini we.
Speaker 1: Got a game to get to.
Speaker 4: I think the uh I think the the the cool part too, is like people some people realize it's the Patriots and they'll have like their phones, their their phones out recording as the caravan and they like and they get to they get to our bus and I'm like they think that. I'm like Drake here and it's like it's.
Speaker 1: A great video.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't want to be as the person they come home and they're like, oh my god, you got to see this. And then they're like look, look, look, yeah it's the Patriots bus. To stick it in your face, I hate that's my biggest pep. But you know, your phones, don't get your phones in my face.
Speaker 2: Don't get fred don't ever do it.
Speaker 4: On Sunday nights, sometimes they don't have the police escort because it's a Sunday night and it's late and they think there'll be nobody on the road. And every once in a while you get stuck in traffic and you hear on the bus the groans of like no escort like and it's like, how.
Speaker 1: Spoiled are you spread? I'll never forget it was a night game.
Speaker 4: We got home.
Speaker 1: It's like two, three, four of them more I forget.
Speaker 4: And I've never seen thicker fog.
Speaker 1: The bus driver we had, I think it was her first time driving, and we're bus five, so we're the last one, and she lost the rest of the convoy and I hear them on the phone yelling at her, you need to keep up, And I said to I said, don't worry about it. Just we're fine. We'll get there, like there was no reason.
Speaker 4: You couldn't.
Speaker 1: Go in front of you.
Speaker 4: It was so thick.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget that trip.
Speaker 2: Honey, you're doing frive.
Speaker 1: We're not greahound bus material. And then there was another one, you know, telling a bus stories, But there was another one. We had a young kid, I think his first time driving the Patriots, and he was a young guy and for some reason he didn't get the memo that bus five is the last bush and he starts racing the other bus to get first. And I mean, we're going up through Providence and he's going about eighty five in this in this bus, this Plymouth bus, and one of the doctors finally goes.
Speaker 4: Gotta kill us.
Speaker 2: It was pan essential.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, It's like, what is this guy? We never saw him again?
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 1: I was on that bus.
Speaker 4: Nothing travel for you like the team charter, not like you become the most spoiled traveler, Guilty as charged. It just ruins you for life, like any commercial plane. I was just thinking.
Speaker 5: The last prem post game show was obviously the AFC Championship game with that huge blizzard and then you know, you guys all stayed here.
Speaker 1: But I remember driving home and then it was like nobody on the roads. That was one of the craziest at home. That was recent. I was like years ago this champions because you.
Speaker 8: Guys night right.
Speaker 1: D it was crazy.
Speaker 5: I was lucky to get behind a plow and then that kind of but I mean that was that that the whole weather from last winter, and then the gun of the combine.
Speaker 4: It was he's a blizzard to the night. Endeavor was fantastic. I wish we did that around. Like they just won the AC Championship game, You're going to the super Bowl. Everybody snowed in in the team hotel.
Speaker 1: It was really like the bus is leaving at eight and if you ain't there the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was no curfew, Yeah it was. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: If you're not on it, you're not going to the super Bowl. James is in Georgia. What's up, James? James in Georgia. Jimmy, you're gone. You hang up and listen. Uh, Chad's in La, what's up?
Speaker 17: Chad?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 5: How are you guys?
Speaker 9: Put me in for a blueberry blueberry muffin on the bake sale.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, to raise money for the owners, Okay, make.
Speaker 2: Sure exactly, Yeah, make sure the Raiders can make payroll.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I have a little grievance that I want to share, And I'm just curious on what your take is on this. So I always here. You know, we we go get good players, you know that's most important. And you know we have this chemistry, you know between May and Booty and I'm just wondering where the conflict is in keeping him. I mean, if it's working, why break that.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to be here well, and they also think they have a guy that's better than that.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, I think it's volume.
Speaker 2: It's yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, he's in the last year of his contract. He's going to be a free agent next year. And if he's only going to get forty targets in New England in a contract year because he's behind AJ Brown and Romeo Dobs and Pop Douglas and he's the fourth receiver here, or he can go someplace else and be the number two receiver and get eighty eighty to one hundred targets and then next offseason cash in on that. From his perspective, I think that's where it's at. And maybe he is better than Romeo Dobbs. I think at times in practice he's looked better than Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 3: He might be a better pure receiver than Romeo Dobbs in this offense, but he's gonna play the AJ Brown spot more often than not. I'm not sure he's better in the in where Romeo Dobbs generally lines up than Romeo Dobbs. He might be a better X than Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 1: Is he is he in a tough tough spot, booty, because how many teams right now are looking for number two outside receiver.
Speaker 4: Now Washington just signed Diggs. They were kind of like the big team that was, you know, next to Terry McLaurin. I think teams like Carolina. You know, they have Coker, who's a good player. They have ted obviously, you know, but they they drafted my guy Brazl. Now he's out for the season. Uh. San Francisco has injuries at wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Mike Devin everywhere only twenty only twenty Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that you know substation, there's actually nothing that's coming from that, right.
Speaker 2: So was there any truth to the fact that Carolina has one?
Speaker 3: So they do they do have one, Yes, and some of these injuries that they've had have been non contact to like it's.
Speaker 4: They do have one. But the one in San Francisco that became such a story that John Lynch claims that they hired a third party, a bunch of scientists to do testing to make sure that it wasn't real. Even though we were all it was. It was totally like not real, and they claim it's not real.
Speaker 5: I don't think but at a certain point when stuff like this keeps happening like those, you feel like they're like, we got to do something.
Speaker 4: Because in our head. Now it's not true, it's in our head, like and every time someone gets just bad luck, I mean we they NFL Twitter pressured the Diners into having real scientists study the error over their practice fields to make sure that they weren't getting injured players because of this electrical substance.
Speaker 1: They're walking around with, Like the goes think about it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, literally, they're wearing like hazmat suits. It's okay. I did not know.
Speaker 2: I did not know any of this. I know about the substation. I didn't know that the Niners had a hire a company to conduct the story.
Speaker 4: They claim that they have gotten people in there, and they insist that there is no actual truth to it. That is just a funny thing that fans are.
Speaker 1: I just I think there's another team.
Speaker 5: It's it's hard to project booty into your offense, you know, especially like I'm most like and like if you have like Mac Jones, like you know, his best thing is getting downfield and catching the deep ball, and so you know, if you had a guy who can heave it and you feel like, you know, that would give me confidence. But bringing them in, you can't expect them to be a high volume guy. You can't really expect to move him around. But like Kansas City, I'd be interested.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's the other problem too, is like Kansas City Buffalo, I think there would be interest there. But like, if you're the Patriots, do you really want to give the chiefs a guy that can help them?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, this is my question though, did the Patriots really care?
Speaker 4: Like did they care?
Speaker 1: Like, because it's all up to kash On Booty.
Speaker 5: If kaish On Booty was unhappy and like you know, we talk about he wants the targets and all that. If he's here and he's playing, like.
Speaker 1: Why do they feel the need to get rid of him? Well, that he's going to be okay being number five, that's kind of what chat limited.
Speaker 4: I don't think from a Patriots perspective, there is a big deal. I think that this is all from Kaishon And I'm not putting it like he's doing wrong. Yeah, I'm just saying I think Karen Grigian had that he requested a trade Kaishon Booty requested the track, right, so like this is not I think the Patriots would love to keep the embarrassment of Riches for as long as they possibly can.
Speaker 2: If for nothing else insurance, you know, someone goes down. You have a guy that's.
Speaker 4: Romeo Dobbs isn't as good as they thought he was going to be in the offense or whatever. But this is a Kaishan Booty problem that he doesn't see the volume and the opportunity and chat.
Speaker 1: Sorry, good, good question. I was going to say that makes me feel a little better.
Speaker 5: If if the Patriots are willing to keep them, then great, And if it's Booty's decision, well that's his choice.
Speaker 9: But uh, I'm glad that we're thinking the way that this is just us.
Speaker 4: Like we're advising.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what the Patriots are thinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they shouldn't and they shouldn't be worried about his targets, you know, I mean keeping them happy is like yeah, but yeah, just based off their actions, it doesn't seem like they're in any huge rush to trade them.
Speaker 4: They haven't yet, see.
Speaker 2: I mean I was struck today. It was a lot of mac collins, you know, with that group. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think the Patriots are necessarily thinking in terms of Booty having a significant role this year.
Speaker 5: That's you know, one more thing too. Just not a great probably time for Dobbs to miss a couple of days. Like I feel like we've talked about him slow start, felt like he was maybe coming on a little bit concerned.
Speaker 4: And then he now he's missing practices, and I and I started to making a you know, we're in a small sea, concerned show. Everything is only a small seq.
Speaker 3: Let's see where we get maybe on Monday, because I do think he was starting to show signs of picking things up, looking a little bit more comfortable, and then you know, he missed today's practice. I don't know, we'll see, we'll see how long he's out. You know, they practice tomorrow, then they get the weekend off, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not there tomorrow to see where we're at Monday.
Speaker 4: And I just feel like whenever they throw him the ball, it just doesn't look doesn't look great. It's Paul's thing, Like, it doesn't look great, it doesn't look right, like it looks like Patriots plays, you know, like it does it looks like you know, the throw is a little bit off or you know he's not maybe head.
Speaker 2: Well, Brendan Lloyd just made everything look impossible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just as one of those weird ones where like you know, he'll run a curl and like the throw will be like a little bit off and it's like, well, was that just a bad throw or did he was he in the wrong right place?
Speaker 3: And this is why I say the Patriots plays, I've watched these plays for a lot a lot of years, and yes that's because you're old, Yes.
Speaker 2: Very much so.
Speaker 3: And when they don't when, when that happens what Evans said, I automatically say, the quarterback threw it where we're supposed to, the receiver didn't catch except for one Mac Jones through it.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Cat is from Chicago. Is in Rhode Island? What's up? Cat? You're here for the BTS concert? What's up?
Speaker 4: Cat?
Speaker 17: No, I'm here for you know, New England?
Speaker 6: You enjoying it?
Speaker 1: Are you in Newport?
Speaker 17: How are you? How have you guys been well?
Speaker 2: We miss you?
Speaker 1: Doing good?
Speaker 2: You haven't been around.
Speaker 1: We actually went to a super Bowl this year. It's crazy.
Speaker 17: I'm around, I'm listening. I'm just not able. To call in most days, so you know, I'm I'm but I'm on vacation this week.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Cat has one of the great houses in Chicago.
Speaker 2: She's done renovating. Yeah, Toby House.
Speaker 17: No, I'm actually I'm actually in the middle of re renovating. We bought the house next door and decided to add it on We hired.
Speaker 2: Money in Chicago on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 17: So so when you guys come to Chicago, whoever's coming to Chicago, I want to set up a big dinner if you're open to it, and take you guys out.
Speaker 2: If you know, Wednesday night dinner with Fred and Cat.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Awesome Wednesday night dinner.
Speaker 17: Wednesday's perfect. I'll set something up.
Speaker 1: All right, So what's what's up?
Speaker 17: Well, just I'm thinking I might come. I'm hoping I'll make it down to practice tomorrow, which should be fun. And yeah, I have a take on the Booty situation where I think they're I mean, I don't see the reason why you would trade him at this point. You got to keep him, You play him early in the season, and then you try to recoup some of that draft capital that you lost in the Aj Brown deal. You know, what I mean, you get, you keep him, somebody is going to get injured for another team, There's going to be some sort of situation where somebody is looking for, you know, an additional wide receiver who can be a deep threat, and then you keep them. And at that point you're going to you're going to get a lot more for him than you would right now in the open market. And I think probably he understands that too. You know, he'll find his new home. Somebody then will give him a big deal, and it worked out for everybody. So I hope that's what they're doing.
Speaker 3: I think there is waiting out to see if someone give him something like if he's on the team at the beginning of the year. I don't know how he increases his value not being a part of the offense. If someone gets hurt here, I don't think he would play, and based on practices, I don't think he'd play a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't think he'd play a bit.
Speaker 1: I don't think he last year.
Speaker 2: I don't think so he played a lot last year.
Speaker 4: I think he'd played probably like what Kyle Williams played last year. You know that's I could see twenty But I think the only thing is is like if you get into the season and you know, same thing as with training camp. You know, people get hurt, teams realize we don't have enough like things like that, and maybe at the deadline there's an urgency for a team that gets desperate and makes that trade. I think that same urgency might exist at the end of training camp. But the difference is is that if you hold on to Booty for the first eight or nine weeks of the regular season, if something doesn't work out with somebody, if someone gets hurt on your team, or Romeo Dobbs isn't getting it or something like that, then you have Booty in your back pocket. Like, I think that this is one of those similar situations there. You know, I think Belichick did this a lot, where you know, you held onto the player until the last possible second.
Speaker 2: You'll align.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm pretty.
Speaker 17: Worried about Dobbs. Dobbs to me does not check all the boxes. So yeah, I don't know how you guys feel about that. I have I've heard you say he's not making much of a splash in training keep.
Speaker 2: No, he's been quiet, yeah, yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 17: So I'm a little worried about that one. But you know, see, I'm excited to get down there and see the team. And if I see you guys out there, all stuff by and stay high.
Speaker 3: All right, Kat, see you tomorrow. Thanks for calling one of the all time greats. Right there, you guys. Yep, Kat in Chicago, O G O G.
Speaker 1: Let's see Chris and North Carolina. I think our biggest need is tight end and our deepest position is wide receiver. Why not in the off season have MATC. Collins boke up ten to fifteen pounds and triumph the position. We just he could be a mismatic annoy me.
Speaker 4: I'm just reading.
Speaker 5: Even if you both up ten fifty pounds, he's still need to be small, a small title, a small tight end. So I mean, you know, I'll just say the same thing everything he's going to do some of those he's going to do something in the slot. He's going to block some guys and stuff like that. But he's probably not going to put his hand in the dirt and have to like just go one on one with the defensive.
Speaker 3: Using the wide receiver as a tight end doesn't solve your tight end problem. Like even if he is sort of a de facto tight end, which I think he is at times, and Evan talks about this incessantly.
Speaker 2: Especially at red zone. You know, but it doesn't solve your tight end problem.
Speaker 1: He boxed.
Speaker 2: If Hunter Henry goes, you have a tight end problem.
Speaker 4: He box slot corners, safeties and linebackers. But he has te next to his name. We like that more than if he box slock corners, safeties and linebackers with the.
Speaker 2: Wr and trying to save you the prem.
Speaker 4: Wait, we I keep repeating the same thing.
Speaker 1: I'll just make one quick point though. I mean, I just Hunter Henry gets hurt.
Speaker 5: They're in a position I don't remember the last time, like they always had kind of some insurance for Gronk Marty Bennett and you know they always the too well, just throw them in the flames. But you know, I just I think this is the thinnest that position's been behind their numbers.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we're not going to get thinn this year because Legal Seafood is giving fans a true taste of Boston this season as the official seafood restaurant of the New England Patriots. Pregame or postgame, get the seafood you love at your local restaurant today Legal Seafoods dot Com. All right, let's take a break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 11: Come welcome our newest restaurant additions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu. Exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe.
Speaker 1: Craving the classics, Chick fil.
Speaker 11: A makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carryout and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn reward every time we visit a Patriot Place shop die.
Speaker 18: Enjoy the heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samuraisword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move. Having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new power move.
Speaker 1: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus. Play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and state specific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 19: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five Gunit work. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do.
Speaker 4: Isn't that a lot simpler?
Speaker 19: Switch today at Barizon dot Com or at your nearest store for new customers thirty dollars per lin Incines autopay and switch discount additional taxi fees. In terms of ply ulimited data is retricted to on DEVICEMR phone usage domes of data roaming at two G speeds.
Speaker 4: You're gonna play the game board. You gotta learn to play right.
Speaker 2: DraftKings is all about responsible game.
Speaker 1: It's more fun when it's for fun, So played responsibly.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings.
Speaker 1: The Crown is.
Speaker 7: Yours gambling problem called twenty hundred twenty one plus.
Speaker 1: Aging eligibility varies by jurisdiction.
Speaker 2: Oh that's different to the worst count.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think he just it's great for Will. He just gets it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: I think he gets the you know what, you know how to practice.
Speaker 16: You know, he gets you having to come here and show up every day because you know there's no days off in this You go and practice league when you're blocking guys one on ones and you got team next and then we got two minutes. Like it's constant. And I think that's what Will is understanding. You know, different from college. You know, it's constant. You got to you train your body and train your mind and you'll be out here every day, each and every day and treat it like, man, I gotta try to get better today. And I think he's learned that really fast and I think he's you know, taking it, You're taking a head on and I'm looking forward to seeing you know him this year do his thing.
Speaker 1: He started slow yesterday and then finished pretty strong.
Speaker 7: What did you learn about the group yesterday?
Speaker 2: And what is a strong finish like that do for you?
Speaker 16: I think it's you know, you know, I hate to say, but sometimes it's gonna happen, and we try to avoid that as best I can. I can maybe do a better job of starting us off faster, but no, you gotta respond, you know. That's that's the that's the NFL, that's life, you know, responding from times where you feel like maybe lest some players out there, and we really realize that it's self inflicted. So we got to take care of our stuff. On offense, you'll be in the right spot and takes all eleven of us. So just no, the we're on the same page, really.
Speaker 7: Strong, cancel far, he's going to involved, it's on the trade rooms.
Speaker 3: He's going to get your thoughts on that and whether you'd like to see if you stick around this season.
Speaker 16: I think just the way catch on the approach to him, and he's here, he's here now, he's he he's where his feet at and you know, I'm having fun throwing him out there in practice. He's doing a great job and he makes plays on the footballs in the air and I think you can speak for that. That speaks for itself. So I've had a lot of great times with Kayshawn and I'm looking forward to you keep getting better.
Speaker 7: Eatch you every day.
Speaker 20: The phrase chemistry a lot the team has chemistry, A quarterback has chemistry, or receivers.
Speaker 1: What's your definition of chemistry and do you have it with your teammates.
Speaker 7: I think chemistry is ongoing. I think there's different levels to it.
Speaker 16: I think there's times where you you try to, you know, build it, and there's times where you try to you know, maybe you feel like you can, you know, even reach that next level. I think there's always, you know, ways to improve with players. I think guys that are playing for so long and you know whoever it was, Brady and Gronk, I bet if you asked them, they'd still say and you know, year seven and eight, they're still, you know, building ways for their game. And I think there's times where you know, you feel like you're in a at a stage with a player for two or three years with Hunter, and there's still times where me and Hunter, you know, so thirty you're playing together that we can still elevate our games and and kind of you know, different looks. There's so many different routes and so many different plays and looks where you can feel like, hey, I understand what he's doing, what he's thinking, and we're trying to react the same way to just heave With Tom Brady, is there anything that you picked up when it comes to the way that he used and manipulated tempo. I think coach McDaniels is, you know, one of the best about you know, kind of learning from it because he's the one I was teaching it out there and calling it. So I think just having you know, the best thing is having you know what to do before you snap it. I think, not snap it into a bad look or just to play fast for no reason.
Speaker 7: I think coach is great about, you know, making sure we're in a good play.
Speaker 16: I think that was one of the things you notice when we're watching some of the tempo, to make sure we have a good play and stay on track, because you don't want to snap it fast and have incomplete or a negative run. You want to kind of keep the chains moving and keep it going to keep the defense tired and on their heels. So that's the biggest thing I noticed, is just kind of you know, keeping the chains moving.
Speaker 7: Contract negotiations and here to still be ongoing.
Speaker 20: Here, You're you're a year from being in a similar spot where you can negotiate a new deal. Does how this has gone with him make you wonder at all if you might have to wait for a new deal from the Patriots.
Speaker 16: I'm not thinking about that right now. I mean, I think, you know, I'm you know, a big fan of Gonzo and and kind of how things are playing out. So I respect him for being out here and Pete and one to practice. I think that speaks a lot for you know, you know him wanted to be here, and you know, I think, you know, like I said, he's said before, he's one of the best Scorns in the league. So I'm looking forward to, you know, playing with him, and I'm glad he's on our team.
Speaker 7: To think about, you know, your future and your long term future and maybe being I don't think, you know, I think it's hard to think about it. For me.
Speaker 16: I try to be in the president, you know every day, you know, the president. That's why they called a president. Man's a gift. So I just try to, you know, be here, be where my feet are, and try to get better and better.
Speaker 7: Talk more trash than the offensive. Is there someone on the defensive side of the ball who gets after that?
Speaker 16: We still just love talking football, you know, really respects Ballane's you know, knowledge for the game. And you know, I think he he loves you know, talking and he loves seven on seven and trying to pick me off.
Speaker 7: And I think he's a great player in this league.
Speaker 16: And I think he's just shows up man and the uh he has a few interceptions last year, but uh on defense?
Speaker 7: Who talks a lot on the field. That's a good question, Charles Woods. Yeah, I'm not. They're outside.
Speaker 16: Don't want to hear him as much. I hear Barmore inside a little bit. Barbore will get riled up. I like hearing Barmore talk. But you know, really, I think all our guys got a little little stuff to him. I think that's what you need in defense. You like having hearing those guys and you know, I try to, you know, be nice to them. But at the same time, you got a little, you gotta have a little you'll talk back because you know they respected. Your relationship with Dared Wilson goes back to when he was almost a college teammate.
Speaker 7: So how does that kind of help you guys in this transition with him? And so, yeah, I wanted to play for him back in college.
Speaker 16: He took his talents to a bigger, bigger dreams, So you know, I can't blame him for that, but no, I think he's done a great job of adapting. It's you know, it's a lot more communication. You know, I think he was one he was eager to get inside and play center. So he's he's kind of learning the kind of the senter he played in college. But in the NFL, man, it's every day and you got to be durable and you got to be you know, you know, communication and little things like that. But he's doing a great job and looking forward to kind of building you know, center and quarterback.
Speaker 7: Me, that's one of the biggest relationships on the field.
Speaker 16: I'll talk a little bit with a guy like dogs committed into our system and Josh's offense, Yeah, how much you have to work with.
Speaker 2: Him decision making the emakes how to get on that same page as.
Speaker 7: You go into this with a sense of Yeah, I think he's a fast learner. That's the biggest thing. You know, he's a fast learner.
Speaker 16: So it's it's it's really easy for a good player at the fast leunner to to kind of understand things. And I think there's you're trying to overload them and try to take it one thing at a time. But at the same time, he feel like he's got, you know, a great capacity for for knowledge of the game, you know, knowledge of how he does things, and just like picking his brain about how they did things maybe in Green Bay, and try to say how are different, how are we similar, and kind of how I see things. So he played with a great quarterback there, and I think, you know, trying to you know, like I said, build chemistry and get on the same page and he'll make some great plays for us.
Speaker 4: Let fly against the different defense next morning.
Speaker 16: Yeah, we were just talking in locker room and you kind of get want to, you know, face somebody else, but at the same time you got to you know, not not shy away from trying to get better against our defense, which is a great defense. So yeah, We're looking forward against some more practice against us and then obviously got you know, Indan Apples coming in, So looking forward to you know, getting somebody else to hit.
Speaker 4: You when it comes to you for the season again and help much series again.
Speaker 16: Yeah, no, I think you know, I haven't even heard, so we haven't even talked about that. We're trying to you'll stay focused on practice and you know what what we did last year and maybe a little bit different scheduled this year. But I'll be out there, you know, if they want to be out there, I'll be out there. So I'm not shign away from probably being out there.
Speaker 7: And now great moments in built history.
Speaker 1: One o'clock on CBS, the one and one Bears are at the oh to two.
Speaker 2: Cults ind by one.
Speaker 1: Oh tough one?
Speaker 2: Ah, what's that?
Speaker 1: What's that really?
Speaker 17: Though?
Speaker 2: Fred? Well, they're minus two then plus two.
Speaker 1: Well there you go, tells you all the to know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm gonna go Cleveland at home.
Speaker 1: No Indies plus one, they get three, so they're minus two.
Speaker 2: They're at home, so they they get three, right, right, So it's really like they're plus two.
Speaker 4: They should be four.
Speaker 2: So if you're getting three that means they're favored by one.
Speaker 1: They're not getting it.
Speaker 2: They are get they're giving points. They're favored by one.
Speaker 4: They didn't get the three.
Speaker 2: If you couldn't follow the nonsensical three points for the home, what would the spread be if it was neutral? Don't bring me into this anyone for three?
Speaker 1: Did you get three points at home? You would you giving you plus three?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Plus two? If it was zero?
Speaker 1: I thought you get three.
Speaker 2: Three at home?
Speaker 3: He says you get three. It's not it doesn't exist. But he insists that you get three at home.
Speaker 2: It's a rule. So they're favored by one.
Speaker 1: Isn't three minus three zero?
Speaker 2: So that would be you remind us seeing.
Speaker 4: Three you said it was zero, that would be you gotta.
Speaker 1: Hurry, We gotta I gotta hurry. That's another great moment from and Costello. That was great. I don't know if I've heard that one.
Speaker 2: It's a rule.
Speaker 1: Football season is just around the corner, and it's time to get your living room game day ready with Bob's Discount furniture. Save big on quality style when you shop Bob's top rated sofas for only four ninety nine and under. Like the retro Chic Betty or the Saving Aspen, both available and tons of sizes and colors to match your home team headquarter vibe. So stop in or shop online to score big on football season fines. With Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots, You're gonna be in the Bob's Discount Furniture.
Speaker 2: Studio from tonight.
Speaker 1: That's right. Can I ask you a question real quick. I'm in the market for a new refrigerator. Yeah, I think we're gonna buy one. Any any tips on I go with ge probably, you know, like it depends on how many bells and whistles you want. I'd love to have Crush Dice. I love Crush. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's not like they have like smart refrigerators. Now, I think that's Fred's talking.
Speaker 1: We get smart.
Speaker 2: I don't think you want that smart.
Speaker 4: You know the LGDU have a lot of bells and whistles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a ge you know it's a double door with the double door, that's what That's what my dream is.
Speaker 4: The thing, Crush Dice.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: It's tax free weekend this week, and so I think we're going to make a make a purchase that we've been dreaming about for a long time.
Speaker 1: You know, it's our ice machine just has never worked. I literally need to put like I have to.
Speaker 5: Put a tray underneath the ice maker because it just drips water down and it'll be like Game of Thrones to the wall.
Speaker 1: I have you checked the level on your on your because sometimes when you have trouble with your ice maker, it's because you're not level. Oh maybe it's old. It was with the house when we bought it, so oh, we got to get rid of this thing. But okay, yeah, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Why crushed ice, It's so good, right, crushed ice awesome?
Speaker 1: Oh, crushed ice is the way to go.
Speaker 4: Really, I'm not a going to ask. I'm not a big ice guy.
Speaker 1: You love Germany? Then in general, can I give you some lukewarm water?
Speaker 4: Because I like put my drinks in their fridge so that they're cold, you know.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to say, like the high Nuns with the ice in them. I'm kind of a little bit with Evan in that if I don't need ice, I'm not going to have it because it dilutes the drink. But sometimes I think that's better.
Speaker 4: Like I like a guy, like a like a watered down a little bit of water, a little less sugary little if I do have so fast?
Speaker 1: What's that crushed ice dilute so fast?
Speaker 2: It does?
Speaker 1: So what are we talking about?
Speaker 4: The Other thing is it's great if I.
Speaker 1: Have a soda or whatever with ice in it. I never ever drink through a straw.
Speaker 4: Really about your teeth?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't like drinking, and I'll tell you why. Because when you drink through the straw, you're drinking through the bottom. If you drink through the top, you're filtering it through the ice, so it's colder and it forces you to drink slower. Yeah, I mean I think frosty mugs are too. Yeah, frosty could be why why are okay? Because you're not gonna get.
Speaker 4: The is a good one.
Speaker 1: Frosted mugs are good for.
Speaker 3: Fred and I ever tell you, See, these jokes are as funny as they used to be. Fred, But Fred, Fred and I ever tell you about one of the Super Bowl parties in Indianapolis. We were at the Indy five hundred oh nice at the track, it's a race track. They had ice, beer, mugs. They were actually made out of ice. They gave they gave everybody a glove, so you had you had the glove on the on the ice mug.
Speaker 2: That now that's a cold beer. How much cold much? That's a cold beer? Telling you that's a cold beer. Sometimes your lip would get stuck.
Speaker 4: This is too like, this is too many accidents waiting.
Speaker 1: It's like a Christmas story. And did you come to the did you kiss the.
Speaker 2: Yeah the bricks story?
Speaker 4: Yea, drink the milk.
Speaker 2: The great David Silverman took a picture of me doing that. Got the got the bald spot.
Speaker 3: You didn't drink the milk, which is more than a spot at the time, it was just a spot milk didn't have milk.
Speaker 2: No, we did not drink milk. Come on, I didn't win anything.
Speaker 1: Only the winners drink milk.
Speaker 4: You know you want it life.
Speaker 2: The track was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It is. We went there year after the comment. We didn't do the tour or anything. We just kind of stopped there on the way to the airport and then we're.
Speaker 4: Like, okay.
Speaker 3: The only drawback was the welcome party was there and party was there, so I get two different parties.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 4: And you know the tower.
Speaker 1: They set up a ciga BA on the tower up in the Indie.
Speaker 3: That's where Fred went with the Monkey MUCKs, the Cubans, all the other vps.
Speaker 4: That was I ran into.
Speaker 5: When we were at our welcome party at the Super Bowl, I ran into a friend of mine from high school who apparently is very rich. But he was there as you know, part of one of the season ticket holders, and he's walking around with this little box and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, do you like a cigar?
Speaker 5: And like he's like that, I guess, so you're that rich you walk around a party with just your own and you just give cubans.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He didn't say what.
Speaker 4: I was like, I got to do radio tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I can smoke a scar right now, because I thought, you know what, you have.
Speaker 4: To do radio tomorrow. The radio were radio, We're getting ready tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But when we were this was at the super Bowl welcome party.
Speaker 4: I understand, but you thought you were going to recover the next day. Well, you've heard me lose my voice before is last week. I don't know if I was sick. I just lost my voice.
Speaker 1: I was trying to hear, Okay, you have to drink the tea like Bob so yes, so.
Speaker 2: It's cam Newton.
Speaker 4: Town Patriot.
Speaker 2: Scott love you, Bob, We do love Iconic.
Speaker 1: Scott has a little bit of a different opinion about Gonzales. He says, until Gonzo proves he can stay healthy and play an entire season, he doesn't deserve a new contract or an extension.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's played the majority of two seasons, right am? I misremembering this? Last year?
Speaker 3: Last year he missed the first three games. Yeah, but like that's not like he you know, what did he missed the year before?
Speaker 5: Not then Many sixteen, he played within one game this game, and he probably would have played if it wasn't a meaningless game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The first year, he missed most of the season.
Speaker 4: Yes, Week four he went out the shoulder. But then he played the whole next season at a pro bowl level.
Speaker 2: That's what. That's a durability. Absolutely that counts that. The guy's gotta you know, take I. I would kind of put last year in the not sure how much of an injury that was, but you know.
Speaker 4: He was also like, you know, he missed three games in September, like he was out. He was there for every meaningful game.
Speaker 2: Of the season of them, and I'm going to go, you know, back to the literal, like we just look at the school board. We don't analyze anything.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say, yeah, he missed three games when they went one and two, couldn't do the math good, you know, so he's pretty valuable.
Speaker 1: Good, pretty pretty valuable. Trent and silver Lake, thanks again for the excellent coverage. Deuce. You might have been tracking the wrong article of clothing. This is did you see this article that came out about, uh, how pants coaches pants affect.
Speaker 4: I felt like he took pants.
Speaker 1: No, But basically, in a nutshell, if the coach comes out with rain pants early in the game, rain pants, rain pants, you know, or win pants, you know that the weather is going to be a factor in the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, yea, yeah, yeah, sure, yeah, he says, any analysis for that.
Speaker 1: Ryan Paganetti tweeted it out. Over fifteen seasons, Ryan found sixty four games where at least one coach wore rain pants. The game finished under the over under in forty eight of the games. That's seventy five percent of the time. Teams averaged fifty fewer passing yards in those rain games. It's pretty simple watch the pregame sideline if you see rain pants take me under for the passing game and overall scoring this.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Saw the tweet.
Speaker 5: I started getting ice cream headache and I that's in depth analysis right there.
Speaker 4: So Ryan Pagnetti just started a Twitter account. He's somebody that worked in NFL analytics departments, specifically for the Eagles I believe for under Doug Peterson for a long time, who were kind of at the forefront of the analytics movement. I would say in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: Evan just answered a lot of questions for me because this guy's starting to show up in my timeline, and that was my questions, why is this guy in my timeline?
Speaker 4: I actually think, though Paul, that he would be I know you don't like guests, but I actually think that he'd be a good guess because he did a lot of like game situation stuff.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know something very in depth that I would love to And I'm dead serious, I wouldn't mind because I think it's very easy.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not easy.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of work to compile the in depth stuff. He had one that I saw in confirm. He had one that I saw that was extremely deep dive into the Brady Belichick Patriots in their propensity to run the football in the last two minutes.
Speaker 2: Of the first half.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was interested they ran and I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but it was something like they run the ball fifty eight percent of the time in the last two minutes of the first half. The rest of the league was like twenty eight percent. Like it was an enormous gap between the two. And obviously, you know, what's the outlier of the Patriots win at a higher you know, Belichick, Brady, Can I get a little context to that, Like, I'm sorry, Like in David Andrews, this is probably why I showed up because I followed David Andrews said, you know, always end the half with the ball like that was, you know, obviously one of Bill's mantras, you know, like, yeah, I agree. Do you think the Patriots had the luxury of running the ball at the end of the first half more so than most other teams that played in the NFL during the Belichick Brady hey day exactly because they were in complete control of the game already.
Speaker 4: Okay, but but I really liked what Andrews followed up with, which was they really didn't go into like hurry up to minute till about a minute and twenty seconds, so they didn't. They made sure they ended the half with the ball right, no doubt, so that they because they wanted to milk clock before they really went into into tempo to move the football quickly. So there was that, and then he also Ryan was talking a lot about the middle eight and the double score and you know, winning the middle eight and things like that. This one a lot of credit, which I think, you know, is a discussion we've had many times, but it was really cool. But what I aways really wanted to I think what would be cool about him is that he would go into like why they go for two down nine and things like that that you can't stand, you know, and like, you know, like yeah, because I think it's you know, what's good about what Ryan's trying to do is I think that the broadcast around the NFL, I don't think do a great job of explaining how teams actually are using analytics to drive decision making. And I think that he is trying to have a smarter take on what exactly is going into fourth down decisions and and a game. You know, handling of ends of games and ends of halfs and things like that, you know, we all find fascinating.
Speaker 1: So I found one that so does every explanation end with and then you know what you need.
Speaker 4: Well, that's one that I think we could have a conversation about.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't in in all seriousness, I wouldn't mind having a guy like that on the show, because I do think those kinds of things are interesting, you know, game situations. There was one that he actually he really took Rabel and Company to task on last year about the end of the first half of the Tampa game. We all remember they ended up intentionally not scoring on first down and then ended up with an incredibly high level of difficulty fourth down conversion, unbelievable throw by Drake May, unbelievable catch by Stefan Diggs to walk off a touchdown at the end of the half, and he kind of mapped out why the approach was extremely risky.
Speaker 4: I thought you were talking about the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: He's also talked about the two point conversion mess up, which I was on that livet I bought my wife, I bought I brought my wife to tears at out one life.
Speaker 2: But the running the ball at the end of the half.
Speaker 3: Another thing the Patriots did, Fred, You'll remember this constantly, is they would get the ball in those situations and they would spread out like four and five, you know, four wide, and run a draw, not necessarily to kill clock. But they're looking to get like twelve yards. They're not looking for three yards and a cloud of dust. They're looking to gash you. They're looking to catch you in light personnel with six guys in the box, and they're gonna run it at you, and they're gonna get a cheap first down to kick start the two minute drill. Again, it counts as a run, but it wasn't necessarily a kill wig killing clock. That's why, yes, I can put all these things here in a column, Like do you think if the Cleveland Browns decided in the last two minutes of every game during that time to just run the ball, they would have won the same amount of times as the Patriots did, because when they got the ball in the last two minutes of the first half, they were down twenty one to three, I'm dead serious, were in control so many What was the record when winning at halftime under Brady.
Speaker 5: Was they were like they were losing going into the fourth quarter. They had a winning record, but like going into half time, you.
Speaker 4: Win the game.
Speaker 5: The funniest thing about this to me, though, is that I saw this tweet and I'm bummed that I didn't bring it up because exactly what you've just been saying is exactly what Like the little Paul.
Speaker 1: On my shoulder was going like, oh, do you think that might have been?
Speaker 4: Because I had Tom Brady just just.
Speaker 3: But just to be clear, You're right this guy and I didn't know him, and I'm glad Evan had a background with the guy and knew who he was. Incredible, like incredibly detailed, in depth stats pack. I read like three different things that he did. I'm sure I missed a million others, but I'm not dismissing the tweets.
Speaker 4: It's right up Paul's alley.
Speaker 2: It is right. It's something I'm very interested in.
Speaker 4: I just think that the whether we like it or not, or people like it or not, these equations are driving decision making in the NFL, just like it's their driving decision making in the NBA. In the NFL and the MLB, all the other sports, And so if teams are going to follow these things and this is how teams are going to make decisions, then I'm glad that people like Ryan are going to try to explain why they're making those decisions, because I don't think the I think the broadcasts are completely lost as to like why they're doing these things, and they just go, oh, that's what the analytics say, you know, and it's just that he's.
Speaker 2: Right about that. That's the crutch. So the analytics say to go for.
Speaker 4: It, right, So well, why whether or not you like it, if the nerds are the ones that are driving the decisions, and at least we should be educated on why they're making those decisions. I give it.
Speaker 3: One last thing that I'll tell you the Patriots had to have led the history of football in is that you run on the play before the two minute warning. Like that was a Charlie Weiss staple, like we're going to run the ball with two oh six in a running clock. We're going to run the ball hit there, yeah, because clocks going to stop anyway, and we're going to see if we can get a cheap ten yards When they're playing pass.
Speaker 1: Off topic Bobby from Squanting them writes. In just a quick correction to Tuesday show, Matt said that Misery was the name of Kathy Bates' character. That isn't correct. In the movie, James Kahn plays an author who was famous for a series of books featuring a main.
Speaker 4: Character named Misery.
Speaker 2: That's what said.
Speaker 4: Kathy Bates' character, whose name.
Speaker 1: Is Ann Wills, was the character of the book, right. I thought he said it was the name of any.
Speaker 3: I don't think he I mean, maybe he did, but I thought he said it was the name of it because I said, I said, I think the main character in the book was Misery, like that was the book. Her name was Misery, And that's what I thought, Matt said when he looked it up, he didn't.
Speaker 4: I thought he was referring to Kathy Bates.
Speaker 2: You are correct, Yes, that's what I thought, Matt said.
Speaker 1: Okay, David new Hampshire wants to know about Paul's crush. How's Marcus Jones doing in camp? We haven't heard much about him.
Speaker 2: Not great, no pick today.
Speaker 3: He did have a and it was a really good pick too, But I think tomorrow Douglas has controlled him in this camp most most times that they've targeted Douglas on Jones, Douglas is won.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always give like that a little bit of of a past just because of how hard it is to cover tough job slot receivers and practices where you're not trying to hurt not that everybody, anybody's ever trying to hurt anybody, but you know what I mean, not trying to be physical with the as physical player. So like when the little slot receivers running over the middle of the field and there's no threat that anybody's going to hit them, it's a lot different than in the game than when you know you have the same situation.
Speaker 1: And I would agree.
Speaker 2: I wanted to show you how Faia I can be Mike.
Speaker 3: A lot of tomorrow Douglas catches have been shallow crosses like what I sort of was critical of and chisholm on. Now, that doesn't mean that he hasn't been winning the one on one battles, because I think he has. But in fairness, he's not like torching him downfield for.
Speaker 2: These huge plays. He's beating him on crossers and evans.
Speaker 3: Right, when you don't have that fear of getting your clock cleaned, it's a little easier to complete those.
Speaker 1: I love Marcus Jones.
Speaker 5: I still it's just striking to me his size out there and the role that they have him playing in the inside, and I mean, he was great last year tackling, and I just hope that he can continue to hold up because really, I think you ideally like somebody a little bit bigger to play as much as you know he's going to play.
Speaker 4: I think they like they kind of talked about that a little bit when Rabel first got hired, and I think he's just such a good player that they just kind of were like, Nope, we're going to make this work because that's the player we have, and he's really really good. Because I think when they first hired Vrabel, there was a lot of talk about is Marcus Jones really a fit because of his size, and then he just played so well that it kind of.
Speaker 2: Because he is Rabel's style.
Speaker 3: He might not be the prototype in terms of size, but the way he plays the run, in his physical at the point of attack.
Speaker 5: Like good football player, freaking hit Madison Peers, I'd say pretty good.
Speaker 1: Gumby is from Germany on the line. What's up, Gumby, how's it going good?
Speaker 6: First time I've ever listened live and been able to call, so I appreciate y'all if I can. I wanted to ask a questions about Campbell and Wilson going back to the Super Bowl, but I want to give you too quick hits out first, first to shout out to ianpats fans dot com best message board on the planet.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 6: And then Fred, your understanding of thermodynamics is a little bit.
Speaker 1: Off my understanding of thermo dynamics. I don't understand thermo dynamics, so.
Speaker 2: I think you might have been talking about your straw theory. Oh straw so not to be confused with string theory, so you don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well it works, it works for me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: Well, I think with the small volume size of a cup, it really doesn't matter much. But technically it's colder at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Well I know that cold, you know, heat rises, cold goes down. But when the top of the glass is full of ice, I think thermo dynamics kind of doesn't come into play there.
Speaker 3: I will say that drinking out of the straw makes you drink faster. Yeah, that I would agree with you on. Yeah, that's why I don't drink out of the straw.
Speaker 6: Okay, So my real question was, We've had a lot of talk and a lot of postings on boards about Campbell and Wilson's being hurt back in the Super Bowl, but nobody ever talks about the thing that I think is fifty percent of the problem back then was the rookie wall. Seventeen games plus all the the playoff games. I think they were just wore out. And so your thoughts on that, and then thoughts on who's the we need to pay attention to visit akis in this season? What rookies this year do we need to watch out for the rookie wall?
Speaker 4: For the rookie wall? Many of them this year enough, you know.
Speaker 3: And I don't think it was a huge deal for those two linemen because they missed games. They you know, Campbell missed four games heading into the playoffs, so he should have been a little bit fresher. I think physically, I think the knee was a problem for him, but I don't necessarily think he was tired.
Speaker 2: And Wilson I think, I think, right, but he was healthy going to the playoffs, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Wilson was healthy. I think with Wilson, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think Wilson was an injury issue in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Now Wilson, I think it was more maybe playing out a position, and they're hoping that him playing center is is gonna make him a better player. I've been really excited about what I've seen out of Campbell, but you know, I put the caveat of the edge rushers he's facing in practice. I think he's going to face better competition on other teams. But I've been really excited about I feel like he has more variety in his past set, so he's not as predictable. And so something I was talking to Brandon Swinson was talking after practice, and I asked him about Caleb Blomo, and he said, you know, in college, like you kind of see a lot of the same things, like guys don't have like deep toolboxes in like different things. And then you get to the pros and like every pass rusher has like three or four really good moves instead of like one or two really good moves. And I think with Campbell, I've seen him be more aggressive. I've seen him close down space between him and rushers. I've seen him get his hands on guys faster, and then also still vertical set, but at least have other change ups within his arsenal. So I think he's definitely was working this offseason. I hope whatever held him out of practice today is And.
Speaker 1: What's the super weare that he was at Lane Johnson's place and the world's Strongest man was there and you know, kind of insinuating maybe he did some special work to gain some strength.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he said with the world's strongest man thing that they just were out like it wasn't anything like he he kind of downplayed that, but he was with Lane Johnson, Tristan Wharfs and Dion Dawkins, uh and you know, probably three of the best five tackles in the sport, and they they were just talking, talking ball and training and stuff like that. And hopefully that how that came about. I think that Lane Johnson reached out to him.
Speaker 1: Oh so this is another thing that you like, Lane Johnson. Now we're having fun.
Speaker 4: So this is another thing that I would say that's like probably just a me thing because it's the offensive line. But so many of the people in the offensive line community have said, like, can't like give him him to me? You know, like so many guys think that they like feel like there's ways to get him better than what he played in the playoffs beyond just the injury. Uh, you know, whether it was Lane Johnson or Tron Armstead or whoever. Like the old line community kind of said, like rallied around him after that playoff performance and was like, no, like he's got things that he can work on that if he gets better at with his technique, that he's going to be just fine. And that gave me a lot of like confidence that I think, you know, maybe this can be rectified from what he was in the Playoffsky.
Speaker 3: All right, And I don't know if we we mentioned I know we did in our podcast to wrap up today's camp practice, but on this show if we talked about with Evan just sort of mentioned there that Will Campbell didn't take part in any of the teamwork today. He had a brace on his left elbow, did a lot of running conditioning on the side on the left field, while all the sort of work with the eleven on eleven's was going on the right side, and Marcus Bryant played left tackle.
Speaker 5: Lomu stayed at right tackle with the twos, which which I found surprising. Has been scanning Twitter a little bit and a lot of people are like, kind.
Speaker 2: Of a lot of people have raised eyebrow.
Speaker 4: We have already started. I had noticed that as well. Yeah, I knew that that might be something.
Speaker 3: And then that's why I think it was the right move by the coaches to do what they did, because I think if they had put.
Speaker 2: Lomu at left tackle, it'd be even bigger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wally Pip, Well, I mean, like, I just I think my point of view is just that they don't want to overwhelm him right now, and the high level reps are going on the right side, and you want to get Lomu ready because he's going to have to probably play some right tackle and some jumbo tight end. And if we start giving him high level reps with the ones too, now you're overloading this kid's plate. Who Like, let's be honest, he's got a lot of work to do. Like he's you know, he's he's a work in progress. He's young, he's a little bit of a ball of clay. So I you know, it's just one of those things where like all of a sudden, you're like, oh, people are mad about this, Like I don't really I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if they're mad about it, but I think it is interesting that Marcus Bryant got the reps over him. There was no Campbell. I mean, you think the first round pick guy you just drafted twenty eighth overall to play tackle.
Speaker 1: But I think you guys are on it.
Speaker 4: Disrupt the learning curve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has to learn the right side right, not the left side, and he's.
Speaker 1: Still getting some low level left tackle reps right right, But keep sharp.
Speaker 4: No, I think you're right. I just I understand why people reacted that way. I would also hope that they could parse like I think Campbell has been really really good all summer and like to think that just one practice because Campbell was hurt. You know me, I don't watch like I think. I would like to think that the scribes would be able to be like, this isn't like a competition all of a sudden because Campbell is banged up, Because there's no doubt that Campbell has been better than Lomu in this in this can so I don't think. Yeah, I don't know how you would get to that. I think that's that's a big leap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I caught one rep I think against Akis with Lomu today. V I don't know if you were locked on them, but it looked Lomo was all over the place.
Speaker 3: I thought Lomu controlled him on back to back place today and I was like, oh, okay, I see it. I see the first round, like why do you put him on the ground, And the.
Speaker 5: Next play he just locked him on team period. Yeah, both in both in team he got him with toos with the twos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Acus got him with the ghosts the speed rush on early on in practice and then as really got Demetrius crown over on the pick that DeVito through at in the two minute at the end, he was right in his face. But I think him and love MoU have had some pretty good back and forth as you would expect.
Speaker 1: You know, Eldred's in North Carolina. What's up Eldred? Right? Hey? Back on the road.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, back into them in my element again. Hey, I got a question. I listened to Tuesday show and everybody was like down on Kyle William and I just got one question. Okay, and Evan, don't get too mad at me. Mad when after your boy? Going after your boy could have problem beat Drake mate like not judging to speak because he ain't that much to work with him, but with coming DeVito and with anybody else getting him, and he's burning people. You know, Could it be Drake? You just ain't comfortable with him yet, like he like he ain't with Dobbs.
Speaker 4: Maybe. I mean, I've seen them both uh deep passes. I think I'm just trying to give Kyle Williams some grace because I know he's, you know, a guy that we're all hoping is gonna emerge at some point. I think all I think both quarterbacks have have underthrown him at times. I don't think it was just isolated to Drake.
Speaker 8: Well okay, but mostly most of the camp I've been here and they saying, you know, he's scheduled dubdo you know? And then that one that Pettis stepped in front of like three yards short, and he was in front him by three yards even though Gunnard whatever his name is, he mentioned that too. So I'm like, well, maybe just under inestimating speed or whatever. You just ain't used to him yet. But I'm pretty sure they get on the same pace.
Speaker 14: Soon or later.
Speaker 8: And I'm still saying fourteen and three, okay, Gonna.
Speaker 10: Stick with that.
Speaker 1: Fourteen three says Aldred, all right, all right, thanks for the call. Uh. Speaking of predictions, James Petti Grew, the most interesting Patriots fan of the world, says, I'm personally very high on Dobbs the reason no one else is, and I want to appear as a ball nowhere to lead the Patriots and touch shows this season book it Mark tape. Yeah, I mean, I think he's just being starcastic.
Speaker 5: I mean I get I get what the guys are talking about. I also think that like the place I feel okay about him is like in the red zones. I think he's got hands and there's not really a lot of space where he's got to get away from people, Like you know, I think those are some of the plays that have stood out to me, or just him making grabs in the end zone. But I agree with the middle of the field take with the guys that you know, it's just he's just not a smooth, easy athlete. And that doesn't mean he can't be good. But sometimes you get these guys and I feel like you're like, we're gonna have to wait to see games with this guy, and that's kind of where we're headed with him.
Speaker 1: But I think him a four year deal.
Speaker 5: You know, I would think that there's gonna be a little bit of a you know, a landing, you know, pad for him to get things together.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's you know, it might take some time.
Speaker 4: I think he's just different. He just moves different than Diggs, significantly different. Yeah, and so like he's more I think Dobbs is more of like a traditional route runner where it's like more linear and and digs. It was just like very unique in the way that he ran routes. It kind of reminded me of Edelman a lot, like those two guys, just like the way they stem guys, the way that they set up defensive backs, the way they kind of just like color outside the lines but inside the lines. Like it's just a different type of route running. And Dobbs I think is more of like a typical traditional receiver, so it maybe is less like about him and more you know, I think the role is going to be a little bit different than what you envision with Diggs because of that, Like if you're gonna put him inside the formation and kind of just expect him to survey and just kind of get open in the middle of the field on his own, I don't know if he's really that kind of kind of player.
Speaker 1: All Right, we'll end the show with a question. Brendon wants to know how close Landry is to coming back. Badard said he was visibly favoring his left leg today.
Speaker 4: He was watching and Rabel did mention that as guys get closer, he has them watch practice. So Accus started watching practice and then all of a sudden was back. So maybe a good sign that he's at least up there watching.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've seen him a little bit on the lower hill, and he doesn't I haven't noticed a noticeable limp.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big limp person, Like, I'm not good at that. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Teach a wise thing, right, like they all kind of walk weird sometimes.
Speaker 4: I don't want to like be the guy that's trying to judge people's gates and limps and stuff, because I don't know. I'm not a doctor, like.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just I don't think they be. I don't know if you're still limping, I don't know if you should be on the field working out.
Speaker 1: But okay, was he working out?
Speaker 5: I mean they just, you know, the lower field guys go through drills and you know it's I mean, nothing extensive, but more.
Speaker 4: I'm more like, what's going on with Carlon Davis, Like tomorrow morning we talked to Rabel. I'm more hopefully one of the Jay's like kind of is like goose is them a little bit? Is this going to be all right?
Speaker 1: Full week here?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Seven that's seven practices that he's missed.
Speaker 1: It's like Gonzalez last year. It was like, you know, Pats came on and cornerback went out. All right, that's gonna be it for this edition of Patriots Unfiltered. They have a Blue White scrimmage tomorrow right, which I don't know if that's gonna be full pads or not, but we'll have in from on that on Patriots dot com at Patriots Social uh. And then next week reminder the cults are in town. We'll have the joint practice on Tuesday. We'll be live for that. What time does that start?
Speaker 4: Do we know? I think it's.
Speaker 2: I believe so we want to start at ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll start at ten on Tuesday. And then first preseason game. Paul's in the Bob's Discount Furniture Studio. So that's Thursday night.
Speaker 5: In the new next week and the new look pre postgame show a special new panelist style.
Speaker 1: Don't want to give it away yet just yet, but you might want to tune in for that pregame show. All right, we will talk to you. We'll see you next Tuesday. Hey, this is deuced. Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 5: If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot,