Speaker 1: On this episode of News World, Stanford Medicine researchers have discovered that the plant based psychoactive drug ibogain, when combined with magnesium to protect the heart, safely and effectively, reduced post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression, and improved functioning in veterans with traumatic brain injury. Their study was published in the journal Nature Medicine on January fifth, twenty twenty four, and was the first to include detailed data on thirty veterans of US Special Forces who had undergone supervised ibogain treatments one month after treatment. Participants experienced average reductions of eighty eight percent and PTSD symptoms, eighty seven percent in depression symptoms, and eighty one percent in anxiety symptoms. Formal cognitive testing also revealed improvements in participants concentration, information processing, memory, and impulsivity. Here to discuss the Stanford study on IVA Gain, I'm really pleased to welcome my guest, doctor Nolan Williams. He is an Associate Professor of psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University and director of the Stanford Brain Stimulation Lab. Doctor. Welcome and thank you for joining me in News world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited to be here and really excited to talk about the work we're doing well.
Speaker 1: I just had W Bryan Hubbard on the podcast on Sunday, and our conversation really convinced me Iva Gain treatments have great potential, but I want to hear from someone who has studied the science. So I'm thrilled you would join me today as the director of the Stanford Brain Stimulation Lab and an Associate Professor of psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. Can you tell us more about the focus of your work at Stanford? How did you get involved with doing the study in Eyba game.
Speaker 2: So I'm trained as both a psychiatrist and a neurologist. I did that in Charleston, South Carolina, and then came out to Stanford a little more than eleven years ago with the goal of developing treatments for problems where the current treatments aren't very good, they have a lot of side effects, or in conditions where there aren't currently available treatments, right, and so that's kind of our mandate. I have a big group that works on that, forty plus people in my lab, a bunch of junior faculty, and really what we're trying to do is to find solutions for hard to treat problems. And so we've developed into a stimulation approach for treatment resistant depression that can get people out of severe depression in a couple of days, gotten that through the FDA, gotten at to a point where now Medicare Innovation Funds pay for it. First psychiatric treatment ever to have that happen. And so we were working on that work since twenty fourteen, and then around twenty eighteen, I was approached by Amber Marcus Capone. Marcus is a former seal who went down to Mexico and took this alkaloid from an African shrub. So it's the root bark extract of that shrub called the Iboga shrub in Gabon, which is in central West Africa. You know, I'd been around for some time and thought to be a potential anti addiction compound, but hadn't really been studied for much of anything else. And you know, the way he tells the story, he couldn't screw a light into a light fixture when he left to go to Mexico and looked like quite a normal guy when I met him after he'd come back and had been doing well for a while and told me his story, and his wife told me the story, and it was a very convincing story. And I've learned over the years to really listen to patients and listen to their stories and have that kind of guide the work that we do. And so we decided with some philanthropic funds that we were going to go and conduct a trial around this, which at the time was a little bit edgy, right. We had to go to the Stanford Institutional Review Board, which is the research panel that evaluates research protocols, and make a compelling case that we were going to knowingly study something where the veterans were knowingly going to go down and take a compound that's currently illegal in the US but not illegal in Mexico, Canada, Australia, New Zealand other European countries and basically evaluate them before after, and then a month after, and then we kept evaluating them out to a year of that data coming out shortly and what we found was quite remarkable. People had a transformative improvement. Their post traumatic stresses sort of depression, anxiety, all got better. But what was really striking is there from traumatic brain injury it took a little while longer. It took out to the months to get them to a point where you saw a reversal of a lot of that disability. But you know, going back to what I said originally finding treatments where there's no treatment available. There's no drug available for traumatic brain injury. People call that a permanent neurological injury, and permanent meaning that there hasn't been anything to date that's able to reverse it. And what we found was a really striking reversal and basically nearly everyone at the one month mark and their levels of disability. And so what's so fascinating about this drug is that it seems to be capable of potentially having neural repair effects. And that's unique. That's not something that we've seen much of before, and why I think people are so excited about the possibilities.
Speaker 1: Do you have any sense of the science of why it's having this repair effect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question. I'm going to give some background. Now you may know that some of your listeners may know it, but just to kind of get levels, setting everybody on the same page. And so if a six month old baby has a neurological injury or has brain surgery for intractable epilepsy, and they lose one half of their brain, one hemisphere of their brain, they can actually adapt and the other hemisphere can take over a lot or all of the functions, right, And we call that the critical period. And so there's a critical period where the brain can really redesignate function, and that critical period closes in everyone. Right in adulthood, we don't have that. So if you speaker, or I had a big stroke right now and it hit one hemisphere or our brain, we would lose a lot of functions. It'd be very hard to reassign function, right, But in that baby example, you could. And so one of the big curiosities of human neuroscience has been is there a way to develop a drug that could re establish that critical period, right, even transiently, they would allow for you to reassign brain function in the case of brain damage. And so there's work out of Hopkins and Berkeley suggesting and a lot of work to confirm this that in fact, these compounds actually will produce a transient critical period window where functions could be reassigned where the brain is highly plastic, and that is one of the ideas of what's going on. Another idea that's likely related, but just a different way of thinking about it, is this is a highly neurotrophic drug, so it produces really high kind of plasticity states.
Speaker 1: Let me slay it down for second. What is neurotropic.
Speaker 2: So basically there's kind of growth promoting factors in the brain that are really present early on and then they kind of wane over time, and so glial derived neurotrophic factor gets upregulated by I begain and that's pretty specific to I begin. All the other psychedelic compounds seem to have an effect on brain derived neurotrophic factor at a scale that orders the magnitude more than conventional oral antidepressants. And these are really plasticity kind of agents, right, They make the brain again more malleable, and that's really what you want. You know, if the brain's very fixed in its function, it can't reassign function. It's very hard. I don't know if you remember back in the nineties you had to defrag your computer. You remember that absolutely, Yeah, what you were kind of doing is reassigning function of those memory units, right, So this is something like that, Right. It allows for you to reassign function in a different way. That's really what we think is going on at the brain level, and then there's this whole kind of psychological function level that also happens. And so what the veterans will tell you is it's not like other psychedelic compounds or other psychoactive compounds, where you may have external things that you're seeing or whatever. What people typically talk about, and a lot of the veterans will say this is that the drug produced as a state where they actually observe earlier life emotionally salient memories in the case of say, wartime trauma, earlier memories of wartime events that they've had a hard time letting go, and it allows them to finally kind of let it go. And I think that's an important kind of psych coological function for folks to understand that really these things kind of get stuck in people's memory systems and kind of really, you know, in many ways, mess up their ability to have normal function. Because if you were shot at so many times, then you know, you're walking down the street and somebody's car makes the noise or something, you're behind the mailbox thinking that there's some enemy or something as You're kind of transported back to that war experience, right, And that's what people with wartime PTSD are living with all the time, right. And so what this drug does psychologically is it allows the person to go back and look at those events and kind of let them go and have the brain kind of not see them as so important to bring back up. And that's important because when they walk out of this experience, their life isn't controlled by those events anymore. And that's really why we think the PTSD, the post traumatic stress disorder see to get better.
Speaker 1: The percentages that you were showing after a one month of treatment are pretty staggering.
Speaker 2: They're really staggering. Yeah. I tell people that my postdoc showed me those percentages and I didn't believe them at first and told him that he must have made a calculation error, you know. And so, you know, one of those times where it was great to be wrong, you know, he came back a month later and it was all right, and I was wrong and the numbers were right.
Speaker 1: So I know that you had very very good results in the first month, but did you do a follow up and what was the effect a year later?
Speaker 2: So we continue to follow folks out to a year. We wanted to publish the one month data to get it out there. There's always an urgency, and so we were still following folks out to the year at that point, and so we followed people at the year where that data's in review now, and almost all the folks that were looking good at one month but one month held it out to a year off of a single dose. And I think that's really important because if you've got a drug where there's some cardiac rist and people have to be monitored and it works, you get to go in once a month to do it, that would be complicated, right, But if you've got to go in once a year, once every couple of years, maybe never again, depending upon the problem, then that all of a sudden becomes really quite compelling. And that's what we observe that most people did end up holding it out to a year, and there are very few compounds that anybody's observed that can do that.
Speaker 1: And I yeah that it may also have an addition to traumatic brain injury. There may be other aspects, for example of being a drug addict, where hypo gain may actually dramatically shorten the healing time to enable people to move beyond their addiction. I mean, have you looked at any of that or is that a different zone.
Speaker 2: No, we've looked at that. So we've looked at trying to treat alcohol use disorders or alcoholism, and we've seen great effects with alcohol use disorder in people. They were pretty heavy drinkers, and that data's going to come out soon. A lot of them stop drinking, a lot of them really significantly reduced their drinking. And what people will say, which is also kind of interesting psychologically, is after this happens, after they go through all this and it's a couple weeks out, it re establishes the ability to have kind of unbiased choice, right, Like, I don't know, are you a coffee drinker or you gum to or anything speaker. A lot of us to drink coffee, you know, maybe we feel highly compelled every morning to drink the coffee. And it's still a choice, but you're biased towards drinking it, right, Your brain is kind of more biased to do it than not do it. That's true for me, maybe true for you. Most people are coffee drinkers have that experience. What happens with these guys in the case of whether it's alcohol or drug, uses are highly biased towards using it. You know, in some cases they cannot use it, but the probability that they're not going to use it's truly low because their brain's so biased to use it. And so what they'll say is that when they get out of this, it feels like a completely neutral choice. They get presented with alcohol and they say, you know what, I'd rather just go take a job, or I'd rather go spend some time with my kids, or I'd rather go and drink a diet coke or whatever, you know. And that's what's so interesting about this is it allows people to have that choice, and when you give people that choice, they tend to take the choice that's actually a much more healthy one. And so what's really interesting is most of the guys that did this, in addition to stopping drinking alcohol, that actually we found they stopped drinking caffeine drinks, They stop doing a lot of things, and they just kind of did the sorts of things that they kind of wanted to do, and so it really unbiases people's decision making.
Speaker 1: When you were doing your study, you were very aware of the potential danger of cardiac problems. And as I understand it, the ibogain was administered in combination with magnesium. Now why magnesium and why does that reduce the cardiac risk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. So if you go into the American Heart Association guidelines for something called torsades, which is this fatal arrhythmia that can be the result of a lot of things. Drugs that are approved by the FDA, like a drug called tikasin, and there's also chemo agents that can interact to this herd potassium channel, and I begain interacts with this herd potassium channel, so they all do it. Tikosan, for instance, is monitored in a cardiac monitoring unit because of this. And so you go in the American Heart Association guidelines for treating torsodes, what you see is that the American Heart Association recommends to give magnesium in the case of torsades once you already have it. And magnesium is not completely without risk, but it's pretty low risk. Like as a neurologist, I gave magnesium to people of various headache conditions in the er, women that are preeclamptic at magnesium and that kind of period peri childbirth, and so giving magnesium at these levels, you know, has some minor minor risk, but really is pretty safe. We know a lot about it, and so there was this view that we took on around that if you can treat the problem with magnesium, then you probably can prophylacts against it ever happening with giving magnesium before the person got the drug, and we thought that was a kind of a unique kind of strategy, right where we're going to give magnesium before you get the drug and then we think significantly lower your risk of that arrhythmia. And we didn't see any torsades in any of our samples, and we think we have some early data to suggest that that may be the ticket for dealing with that particular risk. Now it's an interesting problem, right because, as I said a minute ago, the FDA has already approved drugs that actually have more risk for this arrhythmia than I begame does, but ibans had a harder time getting through the FDA. And the reason I think that that has historically happened, although this FDA seems to have a different kind of positive stance on it, is the risk benefit assessment of a cardiac drug that also has a cardiac risk ends up being different than an addiction drug that has a cardiac risk. And I think that the veteran's story is an important one for really pushing the FDA and the government in the field and to seeing, okay, veterans are killing themselves every year than are dying on the battlefield.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that one of the and I'm hoping this is going to change, but that historically one of the FDA problems has been that they measure the cost of saying yes, but they don't measure the cost of saying no. You know, there are people out here committing suicide, and this has a reasonable chance of minimizing that. You have to figure out what are the total lives saved annually versus what's the risk And I don't think the FDA has any kind of measurement. It's all based on risk only on the usage side, not based on the cost of not doing it.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, You're completely spot on the the risk is only evaluated in the yes position, not in the no position. And maybe that's a regulatory change that could be seen where there was an additional evaluation point on saying no. From the standpoint of the FDA, but absolutely, and that's what hurdles you have to kind of get over. And to your point, whether it be veterans suicide or opioid overdoses, this is a drug that can actually decrease the symptoms of detox for opiates right and reduce people's discomforting going through opia detoks in addition of reducing craving, the opioid crisis, the veterans suicide crisis. We think this has great potential for doing that. And the hope is is that there is a bias and it appears to be going away around taking on some of this risk and more of an openness in this FDA around evaluating in that more holistic way. And so you know, our fingers are crossed. You know, we have an I ind and trying to see if the FDA will let us do our first phase one trial now, and we're optimistic we can get over that hurdle.
Speaker 1: What percent of the folks who got that dosage never had any more interest in suicide and what percent found that they were still depression and in a mode to potentially commit suicide?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, greater than eighty plus percent of people lost their kind of suicidal thinking and they held that out through the end of the year. We had no one in our follow up that actually had a suicide attempt or died of suicide. In the few folks that didn't hold it or had a transient improvement, we're hoping there are other either dozing strategies or other technologies that can take care of those folks. But just as a contrast the current treatments that are out there for PTSD and depression and whatnot, you're talking about at best twenty percent sort of numbers. It goes down over time to really take care of these problems, and then it's not very fast. In contrast, this is kind of a striking number, But you know, we have more work to do to really fully answer that question in hundreds of people and have conclusive kind of final FDA level data. But the signal that we have now is that it really holds for a while and reduces that risk for a long time.
Speaker 1: So there could be a spectrum effect where some people once is enough for their lifetime and other people need to come back in three months or six months.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what we're seeing, is that a lot of veterans will tell me they'll go back once a year kind of thing for a couple of years, and then they don't need to do it anymore. There may be a few folks, to your point, that need to come back more frequently, but the bulk of folks tend to hold it to a year, which is great.
Speaker 1: Your participants actually went to a clinic in Baja California run by Ambio Life Sciences. What is Ambio Life Sciences.
Speaker 2: There's a number of I Begain clinics that exist outside of the US, so Ambo is one of them. There are others that's specialized in administering I begain. Because I Began doesn't hold an illegal status in Mexico, you know, it can be administered as a medical treatment in Mexico. Historically, that's been true for Canada, it's true for Australia and New Zealand and I think half of the European countries. Right, the definition of a controlled substance requires that there's an abuse liability risk, and that's an important part of understanding I Began is that there's not a single case report in the literature of anybody with an I Began adviction, right and that's really important to understand is that this drug itself. You don't start taking this and stop taking another drug. But when you start taking this, now, all of a sudden, you have a new addiction. Right, That's not what this does. Like you take this. Once people get off of the compound, they don't really tend to take I began again. It's not that pleasurable to do so. And so because of that, you've got scenarios where people will come into clinics in Mexico or wherever it is, do a single administration I began, get off of opiates or better from their PTSD or whatever it is, and go back home. And our data that we haven't published yet we've published SIN shows that they get a year of benefit from a single dose. And so people typically for Ambia will fly into San Diego, take a van to Tijuana, go to a nice kind of treatment facility there and get treated and go back to San Diego. So Brett Favre, the NFL player, as I understand it, just did this and has come out and said publicly that he's had this experience. And so there's a number of people that have gone down and done this sort of trip. The real tragedy. I think of all of this is just that we have these veterans. So we're trying to rectify that by having at least studies and hopefully eventually treatment if everything works out and the studies are positive. In the US, do you have.
Speaker 1: Any sense from Congress of a willingness to put pressure on the FDA about this.
Speaker 2: I've met with a number of people, some of whom are currently sitting Congressmen, many of whom are Republican House representative members in Texas for instance, who are very supportive of this, as well as former folks, and I think there's definitely support. What I've heard, and you know better than anybody around this question is like modifying the Controlled Substances Act. It's going to be very hard to do. And part of what has to happen, because it's a DEA issue, is around how do you get to somebody like Pambondi and have the conversation around downscheduling these compounds right, Because there's an approval process that has to happen, there's also a downscheduling process that has to happen because as it stands right now, I began as a schedule one substance like all the other psychedelics, and as you know, the definition of that is abuse liability, which isn't true no medicinal u use. And so in order for it to become a treatment, it has to be down scheduled off of one, so that we're now saying this does have medicinal use. As you know, even cocaine is an unscheduled one. Cocaine's considered schedule two because the dentists will use it the nts, and so I began sits like a more restricted status than cocaine.
Speaker 1: I think your study is going to be a major step towards people like Secretary Kennedy putting real pressure to make it available in this country. Let me ask you one of the questions about the risk side. When you think about the number of people who might be helped by hypergain, how serious, in your judgment, is the cardiac challenge, and to what degree does the magnesium eliminate or minimize that risk.
Speaker 2: I'm not aware of anybody that's had full blown torsades when they got prophylactic magnesium. I'm always asking, but that seems to be something that really risk mitigates. When I went to the head of cardiac electric physiology at Stanford and others, and people that ran that in the University of Colorado and others. What they told me is they said, hey, look, we have this drug, Tikisan, we use it all the time. It's got more risks than I begain. We give it in a cardiac monitoring unit. A lot of these deaths that happened in these arrhythm as, it happened early twenty years ago and whatnot. It all happened when people were getting this administered to them in hotel rooms, you know, in various places because people are really addicted. There wasn't another way to do this. You couldn't get it in the US. This is the only way to kind of get off of heroin or whatever it was. So they were willing to take that risk. But the reality is is that we're not going to be doing that in the US, right We're going to be giving this in a cardiac monitoring unit, and we're going to have a lot of tools on our tool belt, just like cardiologists do for tikasan to be able to deal with it. And because of that, it's really not any more of a risk than the FDA approved drugs for cardiac rhythmias, and the cardiologists would be heavily involved in these administrations. When you talk to them about it, they're like, yeah, you know, there's a risk, but you know, we would just put people in our unit and we would monitor and manage the risk. And we needed to do something, we would do something about it, you know. And so I think it's about medicalizing this and within a legitimate medical setting and really thinking about this as a medical intervention within the US healthcare system. And if you think in those terms, and we get to that point, and I think it's a consideration when you're talking to a patient, and it's always a consideration as the doctor, but it's the like healthcare policy level. It shouldn't be something that gets in the way. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: If EYB again turns out to have the variety of capabilities that we have some at least glimmerings of its effect both on the quality of life, the relative health of patients, and the fiscal impact is going to be staggering. This could be one of the great breakthroughs of the next ten or fifteen years.
Speaker 2: That's what we feel. I mean, I don't think, you know, I've said this publicly before. I'm not aware of a brain acting compound that is this sophisticated or this broad spectrum. And you know, you think about antibiotics and you have these broad spectrum antibiotics that can take care of all sorts of different bacteria or whatever. I mean, this is a really broad spectrum. The data that we have right now suggests it's a really broad brain drug, kind of brain plasticity drug.
Speaker 1: Let me go back for a second because it hit me. Governor Habit of Texas signed a law just in June of this year, June eleventh of twenty twenty five to establish serious clinical trials to what excent are they going to be hampered by? The degree to which I begin is currently a Schedule one status.
Speaker 2: You can do Schedule one studies in the US right now. There have been a number of them with other psychedelics like psilocybin and whatnot, and so there's a lot of hurles. You have to have a safe and weigh it every day and all that stuff. But people can do that. That's fine. You can still get there. And that's our current investigation in new drug application sitting in the FDA right now, takes all that into account. But to your point, to really study this and to get researchers more enthused to do it, if it could be down scheduled down to two or three, then you don't need to safe pharmacies can administer it and it would make research a whole heck of a lot easier. Now, if that didn't happen, would you still be able to do the research? Absolutely, that fifty million is going to go towards good work and all that good stuff. What you have to do to do a schedule one study is you have to install a safe and a key card reader, all this stuff. You have to have a DEA agent come out and look at your safe. It's quite a journey, but you know, we're on board for that.
Speaker 1: I think we need a much higher sense of urgency about certain kinds of breakthroughs. And I'm thinking, like from the Veterans Administration, the scale of what they deal with in areas that are potentially directly affected and improved by IBA game, it really should be a national project to make sure how to use it, to make sure that it's safe, but then to get it very widely available throughout the entire Veterans administration program.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. We've been trying to have those initial conversations and really try to find inroads into talking with folks in the current VA. I've had some discussions with former administration kind of officials from the VA with enthusiasm, you know. I think that there's a certain hot potato that happens with some of this stuff where somebody has to hold it, you know, and so we're happy to kind of hold it and get enough of the ball rolling so that there's some momentum. And then my senses is that once there's enough of a snowball effect, to your point, then the VA is going to really pick this up and run with it. That's really my hope. I met with folks early on at the VA and showed them the data a couple of years ago, some of the senior doctors there, and they all seem very enthused. And so it's just in my view of matter of time but continuing to do the good work.
Speaker 1: Where are the major veterans organizations on ibogame.
Speaker 2: They're very positive, you know, and I've talked to some folks from DD two and so they're very positive. But I think everybody is in the kind of wait and see. And that's why I think what Governor Perry's you know, work in Texas and now in other states, why that's so important, Because I think that getting some momentum going and then being able to go back once we have a big completed trial where we can go and say, look like, we do this in two hundred veterans, and it separates really nicely from hopefully I'm speculating right now, but if everything goes well, it separates really nice from the placebo pill and it looks like it's very real. We want to get this through the FDA, and we want the VA to take it up and run with it as soon as we do.
Speaker 1: What you're doing is really really important for literally millions of people.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: I'm very impressed. Frankly, this was exactly the conversation I was hoping we were going to have after our introductory conversation about IBA game. I want to thank you for joining me and giving us your medical assessment on ibgame treatments. And I want to let our listeners know they can find the study you conducted, which was published in Nature Medicine at Nature dot com, and they can also read more about it by visiting med dot Stanford dot edu. And you're really doing very important work, doctor Williams. And I'm very grateful that you would take this time to share with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much, speaker, and happy to chat anytime, and thank you for your interests. So have a great tek.
Speaker 1: Thank you to my guest, doctor Nolan Williams. You can learn more about the Stanford Study and ibigain on our show page at newtsworld dot com. Newsworld is produced by Gagish three sixty and iHeartMedia. Our executive producer is Guarnsey Sloan. Our researcher is Rachel Peterson. The artwork for the show was created by Steve Penley. Special thanks to the team at Gingerish three sixty. If you've been enjoying Newtsworld, I hope you'll go to Apple Podcast and both rate us with five stars and give us a review so others can learn what it's all about. Right now, listeners of Newtsworld can say for my three free weekly columns at gingrishpe sixty dot com slash newsletter. I'm Newt Gingrich. This is Nutsworld.