Speaker 1: Alright, coach Tee, thanks for sitting down with us. We know it's busy here at the annual meetings. One of the things I wanted to ask, you know, as you kind of look at twenty twenty four, right the way the season started, ten wins in the first thirteen weeks, of course, go through a tough stretch at the end, last five games, not the desire result that you want. You've had time to kind of sit away from that. What do you take away from the twenty twenty four Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look at the people that we played, particularly down the stretch, two Super Bowl teams Baltimore Ravens uh being in that collection, it shows that we didn't have the goods at the end. And I just see it with sober eyes as a coach, as a guy that puts the collective together, is responsible for the development of the collective over the course of the journey. We were not moving uh in the right direction in the end. That put us in that elite category. That's just truth. And so for me, it's about how do we how do we change that, How do we, you know, how do we stay in those considerations as a road against narrow. You know, we got to beat everyone if we desire to be world champ and and it wasn't us in twenty twenty four. And the way that the season ended really is just a you know, a hard, brutal realization of that truth.
Speaker 1: And so when we kind of look at what's happened, you know, with free agency and the acquisitions, you guys were busy right out the gate. So I just want to kind of talk about some of the guys that you had, especially on the offensive side. You add DK metcalf you add Addakanu gain Well, just kind of give me your thoughts on what those guys bring to the table and what they can add to the Steelers' offense.
Speaker 2: Well, for someone that you know that organizes defensive efforts for the larger part of my career, I can't underscore the significance of guy like DK. It's not only the plays that he makes, it's the schematics that a guy like him controls. We've competed against him as recently as twenty twenty three, and I just noted when you're playing DK metcalf man, it controls how you call coverage. You're very cognizant of one on one matchups, and so there's a statistical component of his contributions, but there's also an intangible component of his contributions that get distributed across an offensive unit to others that's equally as exciting. He's a difference maker. He is really significant, and so we're really excited about acquiring him and with gainwell Man, we played Philadelphia late in the year, he made some subtle yet really significant plays against US. A third down plays, third down and six, they throw him a swing route. He splits two defenders and gets a new set of downs and that ends up being a scoring drive. You know, I'm excited about getting a space player like that, a guy that can win in one on one circumstance where you could throw a swing route to him and absorb very little risk with big time potential gain. He's also a very reputable special teams contributor, not only as a return man but as a kick coverage guy. I don't think he gets enough credit for his talents in that area.
Speaker 1: Now year two for Arthar Smith and Pittsburgh, you know, having the helm of the offense, what are you looking at some of the changes and improvements for that offense? With that stasis.
Speaker 2: You know, certainly when I talk about rookies, for example, is reasonable to expect significant growth between year one and year two. But I can apply that analogy to any and all of us. As you mentioned, this is Arthur's second year in Pittsburgh, and so he's familiar with the culture within which he works. He's also familiar and more familiar with the players that we have, the ones that have been here and will continue to be here. And also he's been a component of the acquisition of the new players, guys like Kenny and d k and so it's reasonable to expect him and us as an offense and collective to take a significant step forward. I know that's our mindset as we lay in a foundation for it.
Speaker 1: And so, you know, stay on the office side of the ball. I feel like one of the things that's been significant, right You're looking at the quarterback room. Three guys from last year all have three new teams. We make the acquisitions to get a familiar face in Mason, also add a Skylar Thompson. Aaron Rodgers recently visited the team just kind of talk about the status of the quarterback room as it stands today.
Speaker 2: You know, we've been in turnover in that room. As you mentioned, none of the guys from twenty twenty four will be on our twenty twenty five roster. But I think that's one of the things that Mason Rudolph such an attractive acquisition for us. We know his talents, he's certainly capable. We like the intangible quality of him as a human, as a man, as a football worker. But I just think the familiarity is very comforting. You know, you're not always controlled, you're not always in control of continuity. All the guys that you mentioned were free agents and all on one year deals, and so that was a real reality that we're experiencing. But at the same time, man, I'm excited to be quite honest with you about about the acquisition of new talent. Uh. As you mentioned, h Aaron came and spend a day with uspan. We had an awesome day. And for a couple of guys like ourselves, me and and Aaron, to have been in the league as long as we have and to be familiar with one another, there's still no substitute for spending time together and and balancing ideas off of one another, and and and getting to know one another in a more intimate way beyond competition, and so that was exciting. The process of evaluating everyone at the position has been a fun, fun one and but fun for me is winning. And so, you know, the players that we acquire got we gotta train, we got to assimilate into our culture, and we got to get prepared to meet the challenges of competition in the fall and winter.
Speaker 1: And with that, you know, thinking about the twenty twenty four draft class, very few players did not have significant roles on the defense and offense as the year went on. Two of the guys I want to kind of focus on with the challenge and the opportunities Troy Fatano, Roman Wilson, kind of what are you expecting in them growth wise in year two?
Speaker 2: You know, and it might be seemingly unfair, but such as life, man, I expect significant growth from them and jumps from them because there are levels of participation with standing They've been a part of our culture, They've been in the building, they've been in meetings, they understand what's expected of them and just have gone through the cycle that everyone else has gone through other than playing. And there's so many examples, particularly in recent year years of of you know, sometimes a rookie year doesn't define the trajectory of your overall career. We've had guys in recent years that experience, you know, lack of playing time due to injury and their rookie year, but it hadn't shaped or defined their career. Calvin Austin is a guy that's continually ascending for us that played very little as a rookie due to injury. David DeCastro is a guy that recently retired not too many years ago, who missed a significant amount of time because of injury his rookie year and it certainly didn't define or shape his career. And so I see it through that lens. I challenged them through that lens. I'm expecting those guys to perform like second year guys and to and to and to make plays that guys that have been a lap around the track make.
Speaker 1: Obviously, coaching, I'm excited about the offensive line play and when you think about just the growth of that unit, what what are you expecting from this group come this year.
Speaker 2: I'm equally as excited. Talent acquisition is just one thing. Talent development is the next step for us and We've made the commitment over the last several years to acquire some awesome young talent at that position. Those guys have proven their capabilities. I'm excited about the prospects of continuing to move forward with that group individually and collectively, knowing the growth that has happened and will continue to happen, not only for the individuals within the group, but the longer they play together, the more comfortable they get in their shoes the end product. Particularly when you got a guy like at the center position, for example, Zach Frazer man Man, he represents himself very well a year ago. I'm excited about the prospects of what year two might be, not only because he's gonna make a significant jump, but as a hub of communication based on his position, declarations and so forth, things that we know he's gonna be able to absorb and he may be been able to absorb in a year ago, but we were just cautious in terms of some of the things that we asked a new player to do. And so there's a lot of things to be excited about within that group. And I share your optimism and just.
Speaker 1: Turn our attention to like the defensive side, of the ball. There were some big acquisitions there. Obviously you had Darius slay that was brought on Derreny Qualley, Malik Harrison, and Juan Thornhill. Just kind of talk about those additions as it pertains to the defense man.
Speaker 2: It's just great to acquire savvy veteran players their presence, not only in terms of the players that they make, but the experience that they bring and the way that it allows them to assist younger developing players. When I think about the acquisition of slay Man, I can't help but think about, you know, the byproduct of that in terms of the relationship that he could have with a Joey Porter Jr. He certainly is not responsible for Joey's growth and development, but it's great to work alongside someone that's done it at a high level for a long time or on a lot of fronts, not only in terms of exchanging of ideas, but just seeing what a what a savvy veteran process looks like, whether it's a over the course of a twelve month calendar or whether it's over the course you know of a seven day cycle getting ready for a game. Uh, And really it's it's a business model that we've been highly involved in in recent years and this year is probably nothing new. We've done business with guys like Pat Peterson in the past in the effort to allow him to be a veteran presence in a in a maturing secondary, if you will. And so that's that's what Darius brings us. But you know, all of these guys have been acquired for a reason, and there's some real tangible reasons, but we're really excited about some of the unintended consequences. Positively that comes with the acquisition of veteran guys that know what to do.
Speaker 1: And you know, with it that as we can turn our attention to like the NFL Draft now, I know we've spent time with the football staff and one of the things I know that you really love to do is go down to senior world practices and mix it up in the middle and the trenches, like get on the field level with those young prospects, just kind of talk about what you see in that group of guys, that new prospect class, and what are your expectations for those guys contributions.
Speaker 2: You know, it's I'm impressed with the general football know how of this collective, and it's probably for several reasons, you know, you know, this being you know, a post COVID group and a lot of instances, many of the members of this draft class are older maybe than they would be if if COVID didn't happen, And so you see a level of maturity that's really attractive across all positions in terms of some of the guys and the amount of experience that they have. You couple that with just the expansion of the college football season and what that provides guys in terms of growth and development. I mean, I was just with you know, guys from Texas, Ohio State and Notre Dame for example, just this past week. Uh, in some of my travels, and we identify those groups. You're talking about the groups of kids that played fifteen and sixteen games, and you know when you and I came through, man, it was like eleven game schedule. Yeah, okay, And so when you look at it from that perspective, right five additional games, Man, we're talking about big time growth and development opportunities. And I see it in the way that they conduct themselves. But I also see it in the in in their game tape, in the maturity and the development in their play, whether it's technical or or from a football intellect perspective, And so that's exciting about this group. Certainly it's a talented group, as a talented group every year, but I think the the experience UH, coupled with COVID and the additional games makes this a really interesting and attractive group.
Speaker 1: And I think one of the things that's coming up this season that's really important is the Steelers are going to travel international for the first time in ten years. You know, fans are excited about it. I know I'm excited about it. I want to get your thoughts on the opportunity of playing in Ireland.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm excited about it. All I think about, man is the late Ambassador Rooney and how excited he would be for this. And so for me, you know, I'm excited to talk to the guys about it, to educate them about it. But more important than anything else, I want them to know what a big deal is this would have been for the late Ambassador and what an opportunity it is for us to take our American game global man, and represent not only our sport but this country internationally. Man, it's just a it's a humbling experience for me and for us and excited about it.
Speaker 1: And now I know, coach, you don't have hobbies. You famously said you don't have hobbies. I mean, but you've got to do something. I mean, what like in the free time that you a little bit of free time that you had, right, what is it that you do that just kind of gets you back to base.
Speaker 2: I try to pick one thing. I get hyper focused on things and that's just my nature and so usually I'll pick one thing that becomes my off season hobby, if you will. Last off season it was boating for me. I wanted to get better at boating, managing the boat, driving a boat, all the things around. Boating is where I spend a lot of time. I enjoy learning about real estate. You know, it's another it's been another off season hobby of mine. But for me, no matter what I do, I probably like to delve into it with a little bit more intensity than the most. And so you know, I hesitate when I call it a hobby because of just how I'm wired. I haven't discovered with this season's hobby is going to be. But I've enjoyed Those are two examples of things that I've gotten focused on in recent years that's been very enjoyable for me.
Speaker 1: Well, Coach, I mean, I appreciate the time as always. Thank you for sitting down enjoy still the meetings.
Speaker 2: Coach. You know, I appreciate you. You know it