Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia, Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, So we had such success talking about date parties that we wanted to do a part two. We got so many people that want to talk about the themes and the mess and the alcohol and the boys and the girls of all of it.
Speaker 2: So now we have Rosie joining us. Rosie, where'd you go to school? What sorority were you in?
Speaker 1: I went to Miami of Ohio in Oxford, Ohio, and I was at Delta Gamma.
Speaker 3: All right, so and I think you know we're talking about date parties. Yes, yeah, So tell me a little bit about what was everyone drinking at date parties? Was it always sort of a was it drunken madness or were they more contained your own personal experience.
Speaker 1: They were definitely drunk kind of madness because we weren't allowed to drink our freshman in software years at date parties because we were under the age of twenty one. But everyone would drink anyways, but you were the little ones were always on watch, so they were usually the ones that were going the craziest.
Speaker 3: Oh so, you say, like the freshmen and sophomores who couldn't drink are the ones that were probably pre party or what don't yeah, pregame whatever party, pre.
Speaker 1: Game like way too hard, show up, get in trouble, have to leave.
Speaker 4: But it's kind of just like a rite of passage at Miami.
Speaker 1: But we had this one bar called Brick and like Delta Gamo would rent it out or a fraternity would rent it out and we would all go and like drinks were like six dollars, like tequila, soda, vodka sodas or we had this drink called a trash can and it was a full red Bull and like six different li couurs like they literally would be like.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw up.
Speaker 3: I just just when you're talking about it is making the bio come.
Speaker 4: Oh I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And I literally when I was there, like we would like order them like crazy, and when we like graduated, I'm like, I cannot believe we would drink those like so gross.
Speaker 3: I just I know, like everybody drinks, not everybody, but young people drink a lot of red bull.
Speaker 2: So what does it do? So you get wasted? But it just keeps you up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it just it keeps you up.
Speaker 3: You're like, yeah, adrenaline of it.
Speaker 1: I feel like everyone would just like keep ordering them and then it would just get it would get messy.
Speaker 4: I mean by the end of our.
Speaker 1: Date parties, they were you would leave and then you would go bar hopping our to our like schools very much bars, right, so you could you would go to like Brick for the main function, and then you would go to like CJ's or Corner or whatever and continue to rosie.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get messy?
Speaker 4: Yes, I would, Unfortunately I would get messy.
Speaker 3: Were they always something you look forward to or were they ever like was it ever sort of high pressure to find a date?
Speaker 4: Honestly?
Speaker 1: So freshman and sophomore year, like I feel like we all were like, oh my god, like we need to invite boys, like we need to get our dates. And it was always like checking like the date doc because the girls you would put your name and put your date next to it, and it was like ooh ooh, like blah blah was bringing him, Like I wonder, like if they're a thing whatever? Right software junior year we went abroad, So I don't even remember our junior year date parties but senior year, like we wouldn't even bring dates because our guy friends would just show up anyways.
Speaker 4: So I feel like the pressure.
Speaker 1: Was on to get dates when we were freshmen and sophomore years, and then senior year it was like no one really cared.
Speaker 4: You would just go anyways.
Speaker 2: And was that more fun or less fun?
Speaker 1: Oh? I thought it was like so much more fun, wow, because everyone would already like be there, you walk in, see all of like the boy like all the boys that you're friends with already or like interested in, Like they would just go up anyways, which was so fun.
Speaker 3: So we actually had my daughter on, but she was saying that if she would get in trouble with her sorty if her date got too messed up, Really do you have that?
Speaker 4: No, No, it was only if we.
Speaker 1: Were okay, I won't forget like you like we were watched like.
Speaker 4: Hawks by like our standard chairs, right, and we.
Speaker 1: Would literally like get like if we would have like a drink in our hand, like she would come up and be like absolutely not, like to rip it out of our hands.
Speaker 4: Like we had to be very careful. Freshman software year.
Speaker 2: Did they care if you showed up drunk?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would have to get called into standards. So if we were like even if we were at like a frat party and we were too drunk, I'll never forget. Like our software year, me and my best friend were at this this strat party with our guy friends and we both were like so drunk and we had a huge like foundation. The next day for Delta Gamma, and our standards chair was like.
Speaker 4: Go home home right now, like you're embarrassing us.
Speaker 1: They were kind of souls. Yeah, they were soles, and they literally sent us home. We were brought into standards. The next week we were like suspended for a date party and we're like.
Speaker 2: Okay, what exactly did you do?
Speaker 4: We were just like too drunk at the function.
Speaker 2: Okay, you weren't like stripping, you were.
Speaker 4: Just like yeah, it was just like a backyard party. No, it was. They would take it way too seriously.
Speaker 1: We'd be like, wait, we're not even talking to you guys right, like you guys have fun, We're having fun.
Speaker 2: Right our right.
Speaker 3: One last question, So I know that a lot of the day parties are themed, So did you do theme parties? Like did the sorties do them?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: It was mostly the girls that would do like the themed parties that were like super fun.
Speaker 2: And any of your any of them, like your favorites.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wait, so we the guys would have this thing called Catalina Wine Festival or wine Mixer, okay, and everyone would dress up like they were going to like the real things. We would all be like cute little dresses. People were like hats and stuff. And then by that was like everyone was trying to get because that was the boys inviting the girls, right. We were fighting for dates, right we all And it was literally like so much fun. But like by the end of it, everyone, like the boys would be like completely covered in red wine, like.
Speaker 4: Such a mess. Oh my god, live band. It was fun. They would be like Y two K or like western All.
Speaker 3: Right, well listen, and it doesn't seems like that did not impede on your good time.
Speaker 2: The fact that they were not the only things, which I'm so glad about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a bless well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: The fact that hy two K was a theme, like I lived, why two K?
Speaker 2: It is so messed up?
Speaker 3: All right, guys, so now we have Christy, So tell me first, where'd you go to school?
Speaker 2: What sorority were you in.
Speaker 5: I went to school at the University Missouri and I was a Kappa Alpha Beta.
Speaker 3: So I'm thinking you guys probably had day parties. That's our theme today.
Speaker 6: We did.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 6: We had two every semester.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's so funny because it's so different at every school We've talked to someone who had them like every weekend, and so your sorority through too. Did the frats have them?
Speaker 6: The fraternities had them every once in a while. I just wasn't one of those people that went to them.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to.
Speaker 6: Use the term fraternity parties very loosely.
Speaker 5: They usually just kind of decided on a whim that they're like, Okay, we're gonna we're gonna throw a seventies party tonight. There are fraternities that did have like their spring formals, and that obviously was in the spring. Most of this fraternity formals were out of town, which was always kind of like the coolest thing to be asked to.
Speaker 2: Right, why didn't you Why do you say you didn't go to a lot of them.
Speaker 6: Because I just that wasn't really my thing. I wasn't that a cool kid.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Love you now you're my favorite person I interviewed today and I interviewed my daughter.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious.
Speaker 6: Well, that's sweet.
Speaker 5: I also wasn't a big drinker in college, right, And I think again, I can only speak on behalf of my experience, but the university Misserio was kind.
Speaker 6: Of very clique.
Speaker 5: So like half, like a good portion came from Saint Louis, a great a good portion came from Kansas City, and a lot came from Chicago area. So there was kind of already a lot of cliques in college. I'm from out of state. I'm from Fort Worth, Texas, so I kind of knew no one going to school.
Speaker 6: So it wasn't one of those places that like, like a lot of people already had their kind of established friends.
Speaker 3: So did you Russian pledge your freshman year? I did, Yeah, So it wasn't a situation where you felt like once you were in a sorority, you were set, you had your best friends, and I think it took some time.
Speaker 5: Yeah again, I think you eventually made friends. I think I didn't feel like I've not belonged in the stroorty until probably end of freshman year, kind of beginning of sophomore when you at the University Missouri.
Speaker 6: We started to live in the house right sophomore year. But again I think it's I was a pledge class of eighty four girls.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And then people obviously start to drop out, figure out that they can't afford it, or sorties not for them, or their grades can't hold it.
Speaker 6: Right, they want to transfer school. So I think.
Speaker 5: I was in THEATA all four years, so I think our graduating class was about sixty. So again I think once you start living in the house and you start to go to the events.
Speaker 2: And you start to feel more part of it.
Speaker 3: And do you remember any date parties in particular that were super fun or any that were not I know you didn't they weren't really your thing, but or like how about or even like what was so typically a date party the girls come back, you know, totally was There's tons of stories they came back, they were faced.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh tons, So you'll think this is funny, and my mom sure thinks it's funny.
Speaker 6: I didn't go to a lot of the day parties.
Speaker 5: I was one of those who that worked check in at the at the event, so like I was, we had the table in our basement of our storty house, and we had to check in their names. Luckily, I knew who all these people were, but I had no idea who their dates were, and trying to get their names out of people like people, I was like, no, I need.
Speaker 6: To see your idea.
Speaker 5: I need to make sure you're twenty one people handing me these slices of.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're that girl, Kristie. I love the checking girl.
Speaker 5: Like having security call me us, having to get someone who was sober to drive us down to the venue that we had to like get people back because we bust people over there, right, we like imagine like a school bus.
Speaker 3: Right, there's one literally behind you as you're talking, Oh maybe yes, Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 5: We had to like shuttle everyone out, and so if someone you know, threw up on the bus who were so drunk they couldn't get off, like I was one of those people that had to go get them.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: That's I mean, I'm sure it wasn't as much fun maybe as your sister's were.
Speaker 6: Well, honestly it was.
Speaker 5: It was so funny and people that always did kind of the check in as I'm sure you know we had to have sober sisters, which we all know likely weren't sober, right, but like right, sure, and it was just funny to see like, up, she's back.
Speaker 3: Were there any or any of the girls just notorious for tons, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I And then sometimes because I was on the check and table, I would then get the call on Sunday morning be like, hey heard you were there, Like can you like give us a statement or do you remember what happened?
Speaker 2: Like that's horrible. So you had to kind of rat out your sisters a hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I mean I wouldn't be like this girl she did this right, but I was like, well I was.
Speaker 2: There, like she was a little wasted or.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like all these other people were there, happened in this location like we fortunately did kind of.
Speaker 3: Did you ever meet anyone at one of the day parties? I mean you were so busy checking in one in any cute boys you're checking in?
Speaker 6: Oh, not that I can remember.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: I mean I remember going to my.
Speaker 5: First day party, which was the because it's a theme, I'll never forget. And again I went to the school in the University of Missouri, so middle of nowhere.
Speaker 6: The theme was duck calls and overalls.
Speaker 2: You elaborate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like you were essentially dressed in like hunting gear, Like we wore like cut off jeans and like camo print and I love that. But that theme was so fun because that was kind of the first time all like the freshman class was together and that was our first party, like meeting new people again. You were allowed to bring dates. I didn't, so like most freshmen just kind of went together, and I thought that was so fun. I mean, one thing that I do remember about going to New Nurse Missouri and day parties, as a lot of people didn't lean into themes a whole lot, and I think it was just because, like we were in college and like we.
Speaker 6: Had no money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like you see on TikTok these days of people going elaborate costumes, different casts for every every event, and I'm like, we just didn't.
Speaker 6: We didn't really do that, you.
Speaker 3: Know why, because the I think because the kids that don't have money, they don't give it about putting it up on TikTok. Okay, They're just busy doing their thing. But you're right, I see I see stuff on TikTok. Now I'm amazed at how much money and everything is so like the houses are over the top, and you know you see like rush and the girls are decked and the dances are choreographed and there's there's sets and props out and what goes on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, I.
Speaker 5: One funny story and I won't name any names, but I remember on my initiation night or the night before, all like kind of the freshmen, like they put us up in like a room so you can kind of get to know each other before you get initiated.
Speaker 6: The night and they had all of us.
Speaker 5: Go around and kind of give like your why, like why did you join a sorority?
Speaker 6: Like where are you from? Kind of thing.
Speaker 5: And one of the girls was like bursting into tears because she's from like a really small town in Missouri and to afford her sorority duce, she had to sell her cattle that she'd raised.
Speaker 6: Con stop like showing her cattle.
Speaker 5: Balling crunches, like but it's so worth it, like look at all the people I've met, like but like my cows, Like I had to sit like my parents couldn't afford this, but like I had, she had to sell her like prize winning cats come on a part of this and it like broke my heart and I remember it to this day.
Speaker 3: Hi, Danielle, So tell us where you went to school. Tell us what sorority you were in?
Speaker 7: Okay, So I went to school in Northern California at University of the Pacific. It's was super small, like foury five hundred people in Northern California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what sorority were you in?
Speaker 7: I was at Delta Gamma.
Speaker 2: Do you guys have date parties?
Speaker 4: We had lots of date parties.
Speaker 2: I called them.
Speaker 3: We call them mixers and matches. I guess they call them date parties.
Speaker 7: I don't really know if we had a name. They were just called parties where we got drunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But were there any specifically where you like, how to bring a date.
Speaker 7: You or you were invited by a date? So I guess there were date parties you were invited by a date?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So any themes that you remember, any ones that were like particularly fun or particularly.
Speaker 7: The number one party that we ever had was actually in Sports Illustrated on a regular basis for several years.
Speaker 3: What do you mean it was?
Speaker 2: Well, so Sports.
Speaker 7: Illustrated used to have They used to rank the top parties in the country for colleges, which they would never do these days. But back in the nineteen forties they ranked the parties, so the parties were ranked, and they were in Sports Illustrated, And we were in the top ten for three years, probably running a party that at our school had won the fratorneys.
Speaker 3: Okay, so do tell what made it so special that it got into Sports Illustrated. Besides, I'm sure that you all were so beautiful.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 7: Special is a really great word, but I would call it probably not at all okay these days. But the party was basically called Fireman's Fling, and you had to go. The guys all sat on a firetruck out in front of the fraterney and they watched the girls climb out of a window on the ladder and their butts were in the air with sayings on the back that weren't appropriate. And then they guys held up numbers like a gymnastics competition.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, mm hmm.
Speaker 7: And they raided you so one to ten. Obvious you want a good number, and your your underwear would say things like I'm not sure if I can say what they say, but they say bad things.
Speaker 2: About your date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you have daughters, so I know that, like you're because like I have, I have a daughter. But she always thinks she's so cool and she's been through more than I have, and like I've never like right, like she's like, like, I'm just I've lived under a rock for fifty seven years, right, And it's so funny. I hear this story and it reminds me of my own stories that were just like And also, by the way, ps, that would not happen today.
Speaker 2: You are right, that would not happen today. So like you wrote stuff on your ass, it was about your date, about my date, about my ass.
Speaker 7: Basically you'd write about like some.
Speaker 2: Sexual comments, right, okay, go on.
Speaker 7: I but said my gets hot for Scott.
Speaker 3: Oh it's that cute, so super weird, Yeah, prescious, right.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, you know, so it's weird.
Speaker 3: We didn't stay together, but you're staying hot for Scott anymore.
Speaker 7: The party was super integrading, but we were so excited because it made sports illustrated.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is exciting, and those were the days my friend.
Speaker 7: And that of mine was huge.
Speaker 3: Listen, honey, I think it was still hot, not that I've seen it or want to see it, but well it's still hot but is better. Listen, but I love having you because I love you. Thank you for sharing you too. Okay, all right talker bye right