Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: How are your brackets? Yes, you can ask that in public. Nice brackets. It's hour two on the program. Paul, he's out today, Dylan's in his chair. It's a meat Friday. We have general sALS, chicken, beef and broccoli, pork, fried rice, beef low maine. Who has it better than we do? No, especially Fritzie. This is a dream menu.
Speaker 3: The Chinese food.
Speaker 2: Let's go. At the end of this hour, it'll be rhyme time. Do you want to give the audience just a sample so they can look forward to this and you know, plan their morning accordingly. We can totally do that, Okay. Do you have one? Yeah? I do?
Speaker 3: Okay, how about raftery foot deformities. Raftery foot deformities.
Speaker 2: Bill, What is raftery like to say?
Speaker 4: Onions?
Speaker 3: And what would be a foot deformative onions, onions, bunyons. That's how the game works, deformatives onions, bunyans.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's more of that. More of that Radio Gold coming up a little bit later on this hour. All right, eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. We'll recap some of the action that took place yesterday and last night, also later on today and tonight a full slate of basketball. And I said, I would be fine if the NCAA selection committee had a sense of humor where you are setting up certain matchups. And I singled out if Arkansas beat Kansas and Saint John's was going to be their next opponent, they had omaha, they would meet in the next round, So you would have John Caliperry and Rick Pattino, no love lost between those two coaches. Well, that's exactly what happened. And I go back to and people have criticized that opinion by saying, you know, there's integrity attached to this. There is, or supposed to be. But it's entertainment. This is a TV show. We say it all the time. It's a TV show. And you can get these matchups. Why wouldn't you. Now you might say, are they manipulating the seating? Maybe, but you're gonna have Arkansas play Rick Bettino and Saint John's And I think that's good for TV and good for the tournament seaton. What's pole question for hour two? Let's recap hour one as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, our one we had up there, coolest college basketball team ever right now, Michigan's Fab five is about forty percent of the vote, followed by thirty three percent with UNLV. That nineties UNLV run Ficelamajama doing respectfully, and nobody have much love for you in Georgetown, which is disappointing.
Speaker 2: Well, they were. It was Hoya Paranoia, which was a great nickname as well. I'm shocked that people haven't given them more love because that was one of those you're buying gear for a school you didn't go to, and I just don't remember anybody else doing that before. You would see that all over the country. You would have, you know, guys who would have Georgetown gear on. I don't remember that being the case with UNLV, although the Running Rebels were an interesting team. FI slam a Jama as well. It felt like when it came to merchandise, Georgetown was ahead of the game with everybody else. The Fab five they became, you know, a cultural phenomenon as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seen it was specifically too, at least for me, like the Starter brand right and Starter jackets. Everybody had a Starter jacket I had in Miami one I thought it was awesome. A lot of Notre Dame, a ton of Georgetown jackets.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 5: There's something about that specific jacket that really caught up.
Speaker 2: Is the Starter jacket still available? Are they still doing this for schools?
Speaker 6: Maartn So they just re released a bunch of biggie Starter jackets. I think Carl Banks run Starter now, the former New York Giants linebacker. And so Providence got one, Yukon's got one. Seaton Hall, they just did a whole thing in New York City, I believe.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Starter is back, Yeah, but I just remember Georgetown. That was a that was a cultural that that was something that was nationwide, and that's I think really the test of it is, are there kids in other cities, other states who are wearing your gear? H felt like the Raiders were out in front of a lot of people, you know, the cowboys were you know, you were getting gear for Christmas, whether no matter where you lived, you were like, no, I want Cowboy gear, Steeler gear, Packer gear, Niner gear. And then it felt like Georgetown was the first to capitalize on that. Chris Weber will join us coming up a little bit in the Hall of Famer and one of the members of the Fab five, and Paul Skien's the Pirates pitcher, the nationally Rookie of the Year will stop by Yes, Marvin Oh No, Chris Webber first team all in al you think so.
Speaker 6: Nike owes him some money, Starter owes him some money.
Speaker 2: Everybody on the Fab five true as a collective, Yes, yes, Can they get any money back? Can they? I don't know if they're asking for that. It felt like there's a there's like a window of opportunity for former athletes to ask for money that maybe the school made off of them or a sponsor made off of them. I don't know if the Michigan players have said, you know that. We've had Jalen Rose on and he's talked about how much money they made for Michigan and Nike and once a piece of that wonder with that number is yeah, Mark, they.
Speaker 6: Should get a piece of every single pair of black Nike socks that are sold at Nike because I was wearing Church socks to my fifth grade rec league game because they didn't have black socks like black athletic socks.
Speaker 2: Okay, but hold on here, Michael Jordan's the reason why the Fab five gets a lot of credit for wearing baggy shorts. Jordan did that. They also had black shoes. They had black socks. Jordan did that. They didn't create this. Jordan did black socks. Yes, we may have a disagreement right here. Wait, Jordan never wore black socks.
Speaker 6: I think he wore them later. But black socks and black shoes, I think in the Fat five documentary, Chris Weber and Jailer was like, they talk about we want shorts like Michael Jordan, but baggyar So they give Michael Jordan credit on the long shorts.
Speaker 2: Baggy shorts were terrible, like the long ones, they looked stupid.
Speaker 5: Well, they got they got to a point. The Fab five era of baggy shorts was fine. It got to a whole other like the Mike Bibby era of basketball where they the shorts went down to your ankles.
Speaker 2: That was crazy. I don't know why Mike.
Speaker 5: I think Mike Bibby was in that timeframe, but there was a point in time where it was stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it went over your knees and they were like capri pants, you know, that was terrible.
Speaker 7: Yes, Dylan, there's that like iconic picture of the guy on Saint Bonaventure, I think Marcus Green where they're actually touching his shoes almost. They're like, you know, like Dicky's, like the oversized Dickies shorts.
Speaker 2: They're literally longer than those. It's terrible. It was terrible.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I had to wear the short shorts when I was playing, not like ewing short shorts, but still I had. You know, we had some short shorts, and I didn't mind it because you know, the ladies probably came out for that, didn't they. No, they did not. No, I weighed one hundred and forty eight pounds when I was six y three. You didn't want to see that, Not that you want to see it now, but you didn't want to see it back then. Nobody wanted to see it back then. All right, So the pole question for hour two is going to be watched Seeden. Yeah, we're putting up there right now.
Speaker 5: You root for upsets all the time, the top teams to make the final four, or your bracket. Paul sent that one in from the road as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, okay, yeah, I don't care about my brackets. I just want to see entertainment. I think that's, you know, the fun part. I just got a response. I was curious. We had a caller who said, why is Michigan State playing a late game tonight? Late on the coast seating has nothing to do with game times in their tournament. Game times, which are proposed by CBS and Turner then approved by the NCAA, depend on the game time site. Western sites typically will start later the geographic home of the teams playing on each day, So hopefully that helps you understand maybe why Michigan State's going to be playing at ten o'clock East Coast time tonight. Todd already has his limerick. We had somebody who's getting married, I think sometime this afternoon, and he wanted to know if he could drop in a reference here. Let's see, he's a see a Packer fan, his wife's a Viking fan or vice versa. But he is getting married and want to know if Fritzy could help out with that. So Todd has left the room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's on the phone working out a guest situation.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, he's all business, that guy. Well, he has to be with Paul not here today.
Speaker 5: You know it's possible, given how much he's been talking about it too, and how much work he's put in behind the scenes. That might be about the Chinese food order as well. It might have nothing to do with the guests.
Speaker 2: Oh oh okay. Tonight, Oregon and Arizona, two top Western teams, had the final slots in Seattle and the late time finishes. Kentucky and Florida play in the early evening slot. Michigan State and Yukon headline the late evening slot. Not always easy to figure. There's a lot of data that goes into it. It's also why game times for the second round are dependent on most or all of the outcomes from the first round. No, if that helps you behind the scenes with some of this information, I'm sure tom Izzo does it like this where you're asking your team, you know you want to stay in a routine. Now you're going to play three hours later than what you normally play on the West Coast. I also saw this story about Dion Sanders on the Big twelve media day and he was asked about Shador Sanders and the coach who reportedly a quarterbacks coach who called out his son, called him brash and arrogant, and Dion says that he knows who this coach is, but he said, don't make me pull behind the curtain. He says, I'm trying to do my best to keep it on the high road, but I don't know the address. Josina Anderson NFL Insider reported back on March third that the negative comments about Dion Sun had been made by a QB coach from a team with a top seven draft pick. So that means the Titans, Browns, Giants, Patriots, Jags, Raiders, and Jets. They all hold top seven picks. According to Josina Anderson, the coach made his assessment known to a number of people, and the coach seemed to have an issue with the culture of athletes who have broad fame and financial success before coming into the draft. So Dion knows who the coach is, and I'm going to guess we'll make sure that his son doesn't go there. But if the quarterback coach thinks you're brash and arrogant, they're probably not going to take you. And Dion originally responded to reports that he shared quotes from other people here. Matthew Berry of NBC Sports reported that two people on separate teams who had both met with Shardor Sanders during the combine, said the quarterback came off as unprofessional and disinterested. But then you have somebody else who says Shudor Sanders came off as confident and engaging. I just think this comes down to Shador Sanders probably went in to do the interview. I have to do the interview. I'm not interested in the interview. I'm not interested in this team, but I'm going to show up and maybe that's the fallout from this. But if you don't like him, I'm just surprised that anybody would say anything after the fact that it just felt like, Okay, that kid was arrogant and brash, and I'm gonna let some people know about that instead of just saying, you know, internally, we're not interested in him.
Speaker 5: Yes, isn't that kind of what this time of year is though? Yes, anonymous sources talking trash about sometimes one specific person, sometimes a bunch.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree. Yeah, it's unfortunate though, because I mean, I wish Dion would just call him out. If you're gonna whisper, now Dion's whispering, you guys, just say you know what, I'll put my name behind it because it feels like you wanted this to inflict some damage on Shudor Sanders and Dion's not taking it, not going to stand for it. Dave and Ohio, Hi Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey morning, DP, Happy Friday, and I'm so happy Fritzy's back. So I could say this five to nine and ozepek free horned sixty five. Okay, I just wanted to as a tooth head stuck in bucket land here, I just want to get props to the Badgers and great Guard who lost their two best players to Kansas and Louisville but got John Todd Jay and along with all those great six year seniors are still playing.
Speaker 2: Well. Congratulations. Wisconsin's a fun team. This is a different kind of Wisconsin team than we're used to seeing. Todd, you have your limerick for the guy who's getting married in a few hours, All right, well, why why don't you give it to him so he can put it down in writing for his vowels. And this is Todd's limerick for Andrew in Missouri who's getting married in a couple hours and going to use this during his vowels.
Speaker 3: So beautiful and purple cut her slack, but marrying a Vikings fan is whack. She really starts my motor while she pulls for Minnesota. I love you so much, but go.
Speaker 2: Pack, so you rhymed motor with Minnesota Minnesota.
Speaker 3: She really starts my motor while she pulls for Minnesota. I love you so much, but go pack.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, and we'll see if Andrew wants to use that in his wedding vows. Later on today we'll take a break. See Webb Hall of Famer will join us. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll hear from Chris Weber coming up here in a moment. Zach and Knoxville joins us. Now, Hi, Zach, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: ADP, thanks for taking my call. I wanted to get back on track with what callers should be doing and not singing and suggesting nicknames and possible t shirt ideas. Dylan Dylan has a very Stephen Wright delivery, so maybe we could call him the guy in the back instead of the guy on the couch and have a little T shirt idea with that, and you know, you walk by, you have a nice three team parlay and you're like, hey, guy in the back, what do you think of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I don't know if you want Dylan's gambling advice. I'm just going to put that out there, Zach. He's entertaining when he gives you his gambling advice. He's just not very good.
Speaker 7: Dylan would love to not have Dylan's gambling Okay, yesterday, Yesterday was a rough day, Dan.
Speaker 2: I'm sure today is going to be a rough day as well. And I've had friends who say, is Dylan trying to be bad at picking games? And they said, no, you do give it great thought.
Speaker 7: I do, and then sometimes I get my wires crossed and all of a sudden, I'm like, that's a lot of red.
Speaker 2: He's Chris Webber, Hall of Famer, five time All Star, former number one overall picked by the Magic back in nineteen ninety three. See Webb joining us who came up with the idea for the Black Socks with Michigan. Do you remember I do?
Speaker 4: I do? Ray Jackson?
Speaker 11: I had to interview him for my book, Shameless Plug, but I had forgotten. So we were playing in Texas. We're playing against Rice University, and you know then when you play with your teammates, whenever you have a teammate that's from somewhere, when you go to their home, you want to show out. And so we knew we were going to want to play well for Ray and Jimmy. And Ray though he wanted to transfer, and Ray had been talking about transferring to me for the whole summer.
Speaker 4: For the whole year.
Speaker 11: He felt that he was kind of left out that he was escapego the coach. He was kind of tired of coach staying on him for a long time. So he and his friends decided to go to the mall. He bought a few different colored pair of socks and he was gonna wear them in protest. But he comes to the room, and you know how it is with your friends. He comes to the room, I'm sleep. He comes back at Jawana's like what is this?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 11: We're gonna wear those black socks. And Jalen's like, oh, let's go to the mall. So Jaylen, Jimmy they ran to the mall, brought me a pair of black socks, and so raised frustration and protests turned into brothers saying, man's.
Speaker 4: Shut up, we love you. We're all gonna wear the black socks.
Speaker 11: And that's a whole nother story because we get in trouble for wearing the black socks for not including the rest of our teammates. So we have the black socks on, we're excited. We have our sweatpants on. We usually don't warm up with our sweatpants and warm ups, you know, usually take them off in the shorts. We kept them on and we all get in the starter circle and coaches looking like what the hell you know, because it was pretty obvious then. And then after the game coach was fine, we went it. But after the game he called me to the side and said, come on, man, you know I was old. I'm the oldest of five kids. And he was like, would you do that with with you know, family members. He's like, no, we don't do that here. Everybody has to wear black sox. So he didn't understand how excited we were that really what he was telling us is, yeah, y'all can wear them, but everyone can wear them. But Ray Jackson was the Ray Jackson was the start of that. He picked those socks.
Speaker 2: What about the baggy shorts. I know Jordan wore baggy shorts, but you guys went bagg hear.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know it was Illinois and UNLB have really nice shorts Syracuse. You know, all the guys like Derrick Coleman or Anderson Hunt. They would bring us their shorts in the summer and give us a pair of shorts. That was like gifting the guy a car to wear some official, you know shorts.
Speaker 4: Back then there was no.
Speaker 11: Fanatics and you know, no prammatic puss. You could just give them things like that. And so really what it was fun story. The day we get to get our uniforms, we're all super excited. You know, that's a moment we get to look at your uniform put it on. But thanks to Chip Armor and Eric Riley and all of the old heads, because they wanted just regular shorts and we were searching for that extra two inches in the cross in the scene. So we were able to trade with upper classmen who didn't get it yet. And then Coach eventually he and coach Dutcher of San Diego State. Now he'll coach Dutcher eventually ordered us some longer shorts. So we were just complaining the whole time about you know, our shorts, you know the term. Then we didn't want Stockton's and we didn't want to get catch a yeast infection. That practice from a teammate to tight draws on. So you know, Coach he was cool. We had some tough practices for it. That's how we got to earn black socks and everything. You have to have tough practices, but we earned it. And Als well, we.
Speaker 2: Were talking about the great nickname she had fab five Fi Slama Jam and was great Hooya paranoia. Don't know if there's a Running Rebels. Don't know if there are any other team nickname that kind of belongs to that group.
Speaker 4: Man, that's good.
Speaker 11: I wish I had a time to think about that one, because that's gonna be on my mind. I really loved the Running Rebels. I mean to me, it said at all. Even they're Moniker with kind of the Yosemite Sam type character. You know, I'm in I think them in Oklahoma got to carry a gun around then at those times. But yeah, I don't you know, I've always said the greatest personal nickname to me is the great one and and then you can go from there. But for the teams, I think it have to be maybe running rebels.
Speaker 4: Back there?
Speaker 2: Were you aware of Georgetown with you wing?
Speaker 4: Are you serious? Yes?
Speaker 11: Back home, man, I'm a Jew, I'm a big sports fan, so yeah, and you gotta remember this well was really smart and then talking to Sonny but Carol for my book, he was a really good guy.
Speaker 4: But they u into our minds early.
Speaker 11: So when you talk about Georgetown, yes, do I love John Thompson, Yes? Do I love Zoe and all the big fellas they had Ewing and Man Tumble, Yes, But what really started my love for them was the blue and Great Nikes. It was the blue and gray Starter jacket. And I don't think then really people remember what an influenced Starter had in our kind of in our life because you kind of got to be a pro before you were a pro and wear what you wanted to wear them. So yeah, for me it was it was a really good time of fashion and where we won, but it all started with which you could wear on the street. And that's why I really loved Georgetown because of how cool they were even before I got to see them on the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What I was meaning is growing up, you know, because Ewing and Hoy you know, Hoya Paranoia was in the eighties. And I'm just curious if you were old enough to get gear, if you wanted to get gear from Georgetown or there was some other school, because I think he looked at Duke, didn't you If you didn't go to Michigan, it was either Michigan State or Duke.
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, and so Patrick you and is a little older than me, and I didn't get Georgetown gear, but you would always see all the cool guys in the neighborhood wearing it. I remember his interview with my father, you know, telling me where Patrick Geary was from. And I remember my mother telling me how smart you had to be to go at Georgetown. So I really remember those conversations more so than watching Pat play. But coach Carrill rest in Peace, who was a close close mentor in mine when I got into pros, I heard so many great stories about that Princeton Georgetown game, but those were much later, So no, I didn't really get to see that because I was going to Duke. I was going to Michigan State to be like Steve Smith. Going to Duke to play with Grant Hill, or you know, luckily went to Michigan to play with Juwan Jay Lauren Jim.
Speaker 2: The toughest guy you ever faced in college.
Speaker 11: Christian Ladner is the best, one of the best college players of all time. I think of great college players, I think of Kareem Walton. Of course, there are a lot of brothers that are mixed in that have one or two great years, but uh, it was it was by far, by far Christian Layner for me, because sorry Christian Layner, and big Dug Robinson, because those two Glenn Robinson, those two were the first big guys that could put it on the floor, that could dribble, that could pump fake, that could get you in foul trouble, that played outside the game. You know, when you look at the evolution of the game, we grew up when big guys weren't supposed to handle it, and so Laytoner being able to shoot three's laton being able to just do all the stuff that he did from a freshman all the way to a senior, I would definitely say, in my time, I think he was the toughest for me to play for, play against.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have a conversation with him about that rivalry and you guys played against each other.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, but it's it's it's Overduke. It's it's long overdue. We should have a beer over it, because I think I told you this before. My best one of my best college visits, if I had, you know, eight or nine of them, was definitely at Duke and Uh and late there was my host, so I was very familiar with him when we played. That's why we talked so much junk to each other.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: And you know he knew my admiration. But the more admiration I have for you, the more to try to kill you anyway. And I think that's the same with him. But now we haven't talked about it, but you know, it'd be fun, fun, fun to talk about it.
Speaker 2: It would be it would be a fun podcast where it's just you two talking about that time. Because you had Duke the establishment, you guys, you know, freshmen and uh going toe to toe with them. Well, you probably had people who liked you because they hate hated Duke so much.
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 11: And also I had people that were mad at me because I didn't hate Duke. I mean, I I hate him because I wanted to beat him, but all of the other talk and this that I didn't get into it because I hated him enough just from basketball and I went to visit there and I wanted to be part of, you know, of that team. But you know, Coach K is such a special guy. And you know, when I think about and again keep saying in the book By Guy's Grace, when I think about Coach K coming to my house and recruiting me, he was in enemy territory. Actually, my friends were screaming one O three seventy three.
Speaker 4: One O three seventy three.
Speaker 11: That was the score that they lost against UNLV, And people are outside chatting as while he's walking in my house and all he does is turn around on the court and of justice ring.
Speaker 4: And everybody's like, So, when I saw Coach K's toughness.
Speaker 11: You know, in the hood, and how he was and you know, respectful comparis and all that, he's always been one of my favorite coaches in the game as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait a minute, your boys are outside Coach K's walking into your house and they're mocking him of getting blown out by thirty by UNLV.
Speaker 11: Yeah, man, I actually got to send this to you because I interviewed my guys on the porch that he walked in and they were saying it because my father was like, don't tell anybody, you know, Coach K's coming, and so the whole neighborhood, dude, And so he gets out the car and they are just booming. But when he walked back out, people are like, yeah, coach, you know, you know, good job. So he earned our respect. But yeah, coach Coach K was tough. It's not just it's not just an act. You know, he's a he's a good guy, in touch at heart, and so he's always had my respect. He it is oll remind me a lot of each other too, and I consider Coach is a very close friend.
Speaker 2: Chris Weber, the Hall of Famer member of the Fab five, more concerned about transfer Portal or ni L in the future for the sport.
Speaker 11: Can you separate them? Can there be one out the other?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm you know, I'm very happy that.
Speaker 11: You know, anytime you're in the beginning of the new system, it's gonna be terrible.
Speaker 4: The're gonna have to figure it out.
Speaker 11: So I can't wait until the playing field levels and we figure it out. But I think coaches are getting a taste of their medicine. You want to leave your guys and coach and leave, well, some guys are gonna leave you mentally late in the season when you decide that. But also I hope that players start to understand that the same love and passion should be there, but even more than ever. You made a commitment now, and I've talked to a lot of young players and I don't know, I talked to a lot of young players, and we are working through understanding that you're getting paid for this commitment now.
Speaker 4: So you have no excuse.
Speaker 11: But you still need to come with the same energy and inno sense of passion that you would have played with.
Speaker 4: And how do you figure that out? I think some guys are figuring out.
Speaker 11: I also think some players are looking mid season saying, well, I'm averaging eight, I can go average ten here next year here in a crazy, unsubstantiated situation, and then they go into the transfer Portlando one picks them up, So you know it's a it's a.
Speaker 4: It's a difficult time right now.
Speaker 11: And I think everyone from coaches players are all kind of getting used to seeing like how is this gonna gonna level out? But that needs to be more discussion and hopefully more leveling of the playing field so everyone can get comfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm wondering about that that if you get money when you're in college, does that help you when you go to the pros and get money because a lot of times you go into the pros and you go crazy because you haven't had this kind of money and you buy stupid things. Did you do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Every every every everybody, everybody, Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody's done that. And I thought it was sports until I talked to a lot of my friends in VC and others and I found out it's all people that do that. But I definitely, uh, you know, it was one of those guys. But you're going to do that, I think too with guys. Let's take a guy like the Big Fella from Kansas Fixer. He was he was at Michigan and I say this, it was he's a really good guy and he plays with passion. He's so hard he wanted to stay at Michigan and he's going, I'm not playing pro now. I think he's a pro. So I'm not having that conversation he's a pro. He's a posy pro. But that was the conversation, and the conversation asked to me, who was someone had never been in that position, What would you do?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 11: Because my thing was, you can stay here for legacy. You've been in Michigan four years and having records and numbers. Do you you know what that's like when you get older to be able to come back to Michigan and say, now you're a part of it.
Speaker 4: This is a wonderful university. And I think that.
Speaker 11: I think that that factor has been taking out of the decision making because guys are saying, you know what, I might not make the pose, I might not have the luxury of getting a paycheck and buying something stupid. I need to make as much as I can now prepare for a professional career overseas or in coaching. So I think guys are battling with a lot of different decisions that really are they're struggling with that they don't want to have. I was talking with Deon Sanders for a show I'm doing, and he was telling me that the parents were more of a problem with the portal and with NIL than the students because the students haven't lived life enough to kind of uh be that greedy yet or order order to uh just not put team first. And so again, I think it's a lot of different situations. You know, guys are getting taxed off the ni L and didn't know they were getting taxed, and parents for you. So it's it's just so much going on that that that hopefully again the dust yourselves.
Speaker 2: What's the craziest thing that you spent money on early?
Speaker 4: I mean, I've.
Speaker 11: You know, I was smarting the beginning because I wanted to get my parents everything so and I had a big family. But for me, I mean, you know, the day you know, I got drafted, it was I have a chapter in my book called Gators for Everybody. So gators, you know, are a shoe. Now I look at this so damn stupid, but gators are a shoe. And back then it was big block gators and you know from guys in the hood, the preachers, anybody had gators.
Speaker 4: And so what did I do.
Speaker 11: I went and bought gators for everyone in my neighborhood. I mean, even if they didn't have a suit, Hey, why don't you have some gators and take this? So you know, oh man, I took friends to restaurants, you know that we had never been to. So I got a little across the street from me, Bookie rest in Peace. Uh, just stupid stuff. You go to restaurants, you pork and cockch and the hot sauce, and you say that guy here, I'll give you five thousand dollars if you eat it, and you're happy because you were gonna give them something anyway. But you know your friends, you have to bust them up. And so you know, I've done a lot more worse things, I'm sure, and other areas of life.
Speaker 4: But I remember when I first got it was that.
Speaker 11: Oh one of the one of the most fun things I did the probably was stupid.
Speaker 4: I went to a music place.
Speaker 11: I had a truck of white suburban when they first came out, and I asked him to give me the loudest sounds in the world, and the guy laughed, and I immediately walked out and went down the street and asked the guy for the loudest sounds.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 11: He was like, I could do that, and so I took out every seat besides the front two seats.
Speaker 4: I had sixteen twelve fourteen age.
Speaker 11: I'm crazy, And I used to just love driving down the street making alarms go off, or breaking my window in the back, and so I think that's pretty stupid to, you know, put you know, fifty thousand dollars forty thousand dollars worth of sounds in your truck and only one person could fit in and you can't even put your luggagembler.
Speaker 4: It was a good time. So it was a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's your dad who worked factory for all of those years. Did he ever say what are you doing?
Speaker 11: Yeah? You know, yeah, yeah, But the story timeline keep going. I know, sure, I don't want to keep going.
Speaker 2: Why do you bought him a Cadillac? Right?
Speaker 4: But that was the best thing.
Speaker 11: I told him Magic was coming to the house, and I went to the and he loves Magic. I went to the car dealership Cadillac, and people started cheering when I went in because they knew my father had worked for GM for you know, many many years, and I bought him a Cadillac. I had to cut the grass meticulously now, and you never got to play football on my grass or anything. I drive the car on the grass stand it. My father comes out at six and us about seven in the morning, and that was one of the more special moments of my life, getting yelled at while throwing the keys to my father while he was driving off, telling me to make sure I take care of the grass.
Speaker 4: It was a pretty cool moment.
Speaker 2: Always great. Thank you for storytelling time, Chris. We appreciate your time as always.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Dan, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: He is Chris Webber. He is a Hall of Famer and number one overall picked by the Magic back in nineteen ninety three. A lot of fun. I always appreciate conversations with him. Mark will take a break. More of your phone calls coming up back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Paulie out Today, Dylan is in his chair. Fritzy's back. Oh do we have rhyme time coming up here? Todd? We do, okay, once again, give the audience a sample of what's in store for rhyme time.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna give out two words and then the two clues basically and the two answers rhyme with one another.
Speaker 2: An example would.
Speaker 12: Be Breen, sharp tooth, Breen sharp tooth.
Speaker 2: Bangfang sang fang. That's how it works. It's a good time. Alrighty, here we go. It's rhyme time with the King of Comedy, Todd Fritz.
Speaker 3: Warrior, McDonald's dessert Warrior, McDonald's dessert, flurry curry curry flowry.
Speaker 2: Yes, very nice, thank you.
Speaker 3: Nugget car game, nugget card game, joker poker.
Speaker 2: Joker poker. Look at you. Oh my god. You know it's scary if I'm on your wavelength. So hopefully I don't get any more of these, Okay.
Speaker 3: The MVP Late Night host MVP Late Night Host sg A. Judges were looking for Alan Fallon, as in Josh Allen MVP Allen Fallon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, MVP Late Night could be any spoil Oh okay.
Speaker 3: How about Laker criminals, Laker criminals, current Laker and another word.
Speaker 2: For criminals don chick convict.
Speaker 3: The judges were looking for.
Speaker 2: Reeves, thieves, reeves thieves.
Speaker 3: Reeves thieves would be Laker criminals, third degree hit man, third degree hitman.
Speaker 2: Burns hear burns, hearns.
Speaker 3: How about Apollo ranking, Apollo ranking, Bronco repair Bronco repair, Knicks fix a Knicks fix a Bronco repair exactly, Players Champ seven Chips, Players Champ seven chips or rings the Players Champ and seven Rings.
Speaker 2: Rory good Job, Dylan Yir, Johnny's Noir, Johnny's film.
Speaker 3: Noir, Johnny's We were looking for Pino Patino Noir, Johnny's.
Speaker 2: Film.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, how about about damn time Spartan? About damn time Spartan?
Speaker 6: Lizzo is old school game console, Arkansas, Old school game card console, Arkansas.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 12: Crab five heartburn, Crab five heartburn. That would be turps and burps, Crab five and heartburn.
Speaker 3: The terps are called the crab five Okay, Kickley Tracy Morgan, A little mettle.
Speaker 2: Means that picture is tough, he said of his food poisoning projectile. His nose was bleeding.
Speaker 5: The best part of that, uh, there's a picture of him if we haven't seen it, of him court.
Speaker 2: Side mid vomit.
Speaker 5: The best part of that is looking at all of the people around him. There's one hundred and fifty people on them. Most of them have no idea, but the people who do are horrified.
Speaker 7: The announcers are right there, and none of them are looking at the game. They're just all looking to their left.
Speaker 2: One more mean spirited one we have.
Speaker 3: We have a couple of enemies, Anthony Davis. Enemies Anthony Davis. Another word for enemies would be.
Speaker 2: Friend or.
Speaker 10: Pose.
Speaker 2: Enemies would be foe.
Speaker 3: So what would Anthony Davis be was called something that's not very nice street street clothes would be enemies Anthony Davis pose street clothes.
Speaker 2: And we can wrap it up with Aristotle Rockstar.
Speaker 12: Aristotle rock Star.
Speaker 2: As in the song Shack Nickelback.
Speaker 3: Shack Nickelback would be Aristotle rock Star.
Speaker 2: Thank you, dear, I'm the only one applauding, apparently.
Speaker 3: Sparks Therapist to Nick one more in Sparks Therapist, Sparks the basketball team, Sparks.
Speaker 2: Therapist, Uh brink shreep. There you go. When Pirates pitcher Paul's schemes will join us, Steve Lapis, former coach, he's an analyst for March Madness, will join us in the final hour on this Meet Friday, it's Fritzie the King of Comedy Seat and Marv Dylan yours truly in the back room, guys, Final hour in this Friday, right after this,