Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to ACODAP and here a podcast where sometimes the here is the world's largest democracy, and that I think I'm actually not sure how many Americans are aware of it. This is, in fact India a very basic factor of democracies around the world.
Speaker 3: If you're colling either the US or India the world's largest democracy, you got to put an asterisk.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that land of asterisks, Age of asterisks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with you to talk about the age of asterisks and maybe how to get out of it is Robert Evans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, asterisking on that too. Why not?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, And I'm me a long. I guess asterisk there too. Sure, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I got nothing, I got nothing. Well, what are we talking about today, Maya.
Speaker 2: We are talking about the fact that a couple of weeks ago in India, protesters managed to accomplish something that is unprecedented in the twelve year reign of Indian Prime Minister and enemy of the show, the butcher Gujarad himself one Prime Minister.
Speaker 4: Modi Narindra Modi, thank you very much. Yep, hate him, Jesus Christ. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The entire time he has been in power, no one has successfully been able to manage to force him to make a countet member resign. No, and protesters just did this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the first.
Speaker 3: It's not the first because there was the most recent set of elections didn't go great for him. But this is like the biggest break in his armor we've seen since the Modi regime kind of clanked into place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to understand sort of what that means, we need to talk a bit about why Robert was like, yeah, asteriskth that's a democracy.
Speaker 4: On both this in the US. Yeah, which is that?
Speaker 2: So Mody's ruling party is the BJP, and I would classify the BJP as the world's largest fascist party. It has a horrifying one hundred and forty million members Jesus Age Christ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not good, very bad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also like not the only ultra right wing Hindi nationalist party in India, there are also others. So yeah, great, great things happening here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is why you've had ethnic cleansings against Muslims and other non Hindu groups and chunks of India over the mooty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they've been in power like effectively uncontested. I mean they didn't do great in last lessons, but they held on to power and they've been in power for twelve years now, during which they have both transformed Indian politics and also just continued to get more and more right wing. Yep, there's something I think is worth mentioning with the BJP, which is that it's not like most political parties, even fascist ones, in that it's not like it's a political party that like developed up prime military right. The VJP was developed as the political wing of, you know, a very very far right, anti Muslim like Hindu nationalists parabilitary group called the RSS, which is responsible for a whole bunch of absolutely hideous crimes even before the BJP took power or even existed. So again, like, this is a ruling party that is like the political wing of a parabilitary not the other way around. And it's been running India for twelve years. And as Robert sort of mentioned before, the BJP has faced some challenges to their power. They've also faced large scale protest movements before, most notably sort of the Farmer's protests in twenty twenty and then twenty twenty four, which were about attempts to implement right wing market reforms to India's like agricultural markets. But they've successfully been able to maintain this policy of just refusing to dismiss government ministers in the face of protests until now. So what has actually been happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so these protests.
Speaker 2: Have been rallying under the banner of I guess kind of a meme organization or meme.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it started as a as a joke, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's called the Cockroach Johnson Party, which is named after these comments. They were made by India's Chief Justice of like the Indian Supreme Court calling young unemployed people, quote, parasites and cockroaches.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of a reversal of like the Hillary Clinton deplorables comment, where this person in politics uses a derogatory nickname to refer to a group of people he's opposed to and they kind of take it on as a badge of honor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And because it's fascist, right right, it's also yeah, fascist, the Chief Justice Supreme Court is calling them cockroaches.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ. Yeah, this party is like obviously a joke.
Speaker 2: It's like CJP like cockroach instead of BJP, et cetera, et cetera. That the main focus of these protests are a series of scandals in India's education system, and it feels kind of redundant to say, like, oh, yeah, like what kind of education do you get? Has a huge amount of you know, sort of determinants in like what your life turns out to be and what your economic conditions turns out to be in a sort of more intense version of like the way that American sanitized testing works. But there are a bunch of these sanitized tests that you take that can determine a whole bunch about what your future is going to be. And I think mostly obviously, there have been a couple of big scandals recently, but the most famous one is called the Neat scandal. Neat and Eat is is basically it's India's like pre med exam. Basically, Yeah, it's this huge exam that everyone who wants to go into pre med has to take and get a certain grade on. As I understand it, basically, yeah, so it's one of these especially for kids who like aren't rich, it's like a massive barrier that you have to get past if you want to like have a better life. Basically, Yeah, and these tests, and specifically the meat in particular. I mean, this is just the one if you want to become a doctor. But like you know, there's a huge number of people taking these tests. I'm going to quote from Al Jazeera nearly two point three million test takers across in and at examination centers in Doa, Dubai, Singapore and Kampman Dou appeared for the neat this year on May third, battling out for less than one hundred and thirty thousand spots in medical colleges. So a very small percentage of these of these two point three million people who are taking this test can even possibly get a score good enough to get them into a very small number of spots in these medical colleges. And then it turns out for this year's test that the answers to the test had been leaked ahead of time and were being sold on a telegram channels, And this turns into a massive scandal and the government forces the students to take the test again, and this is a complete disaster. Of eleven students died by suicide as the result of it.
Speaker 3: Good God, it's really bad, because it's like a mix of everything you've heard about, particularly in Southeast Asia. You've got a lot of like pressure as a kid to do well in exams like this because there's not both for cultural leases and because there's not other ways legally to like get those jobs if your family is not rich. And also the people whose families are rich, like often can pay to get the answers ahead of time, which is what the leak of this shows, right, Like the fact that it leaks out is because people's rich kids are getting these yeah. Well, and and also like if you're rich enough, you can send your kid to like a private college, right right, that too, you know, but if you're a working class kid, it's you cannot afford one of these one of these private universities. Yeah, and so your only way in is through these tests exactly. And these tests are also you know, they're like they're like a huge sort of extraction engine inside of the Indian economy where like, you know, one of the things that Alda Zero talks about is the story of this twenty one year old kid who is one of the people who died by suicide, who in order to get through these tests, you have to go through these like massive extremely expensive coaching centers. Effectively in order to study enough for it, and these things are these things are really expensive, to the point where this kid's family like sold their ancestral lands in order to be able to pay for test coaching so this kid could become a doctor. And she had passed the test after like not getting high enough scores like the previous two times, and then he had to take it again. There's stories like this all over India and it's just a nightmare. Yeah, So much of this too shouldn't be separated from the broader issues gen Z and Jin's Alpha are having all over the world, right, Yeah, like this is part of that. Like this is we are fucked. We have no way of making it in the economy you've left us, and one of the tiny slim slippers of a way to get ahead is just a scam too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get it. They should be pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like it's it's particularly intense in Indio because there's a story recently that CNM was talking about where there's a study that showed that there's a forty percent unemployment rate for graduates under the age of twenty five.
Speaker 4: Good God, that is nightmare.
Speaker 3: I ish that's end of civilization kind of shit, like any sane government would be worried about a revolution in these conditions.
Speaker 2: Those are the kind of unemployment levels that got you the Arab spring, right, Like, yep, that's that's how this stuff happens. And Facebook, yeah, and Twitter, I guess yeah, well yeah, Facebook playing both sides on that one.
Speaker 4: Sha I ran.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a variety of foreign intelligence agencies from all over the world, a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and speaking of things that have a lot of problems that the education system as well, like there's other issues with it, right the BJP again, they've been in power for twelve years, so they've installed a bunch of rs guys like in the Department of Education, and so you get this curriculum that in something that I think is very familiar to Americans where you're just getting all of this right wing nationalist bullshit just like attempting to be pumped into the education system. They're doing that too. Yeah, And conditions over this are bad enough that yeah, people take to the streets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as they should and did. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's I don't know, like a lot of the stuff reading this, it was like, oh, I've like I've like been in this protest like so so originally these originally the protests are not that large in scale, but there's a there's a big march on July twentieth, that's you know, like a march at the Parliament and there's a giant police attack on it. That's it's an attempt to crush the movement entirely, and it doesn't work. It does exactly the opposite. It has you know, a very very familiar pattern of a bunch of people watch like a bunch of like actual literal children who are protesting, like the answers to the test got sold to a bunch of rich kids. Then they get the shit beat out of it. This suddenly like accelerates the protest massively and massively increases the number of people who are in the streets. And you know, this eventually does the unthinkable, which is for the government to make the Minister of Education resigned, and they're also able to get some reforms. The Modi government in theory says it's going to address like some of the kind of like bureaucratic things around why it's so easy to get these questions. They also promise not to arrest any of the protesters a thing that is never true. They they are every single time you promise this, they are always lying.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But is also the thing that a government does when it is scared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a sign that they know they can't start talking about cracking heads from the jump.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think we're going to get a bit into more of the reason why the government was so alarmed about this later. But one of the things where I think this probably unfortunately was good strategic timing by the government is that these were these protests were sort of like crystallizing into these more general like antimody protests, and by sort of heading it off at the past here over an issue where like in theory, the BJP also wants the tests to work normally, although obviously this does beg the question like, okay, so if it's government officials who are selling the answers to the tests, like who is running the governments?
Speaker 4: Which is you know?
Speaker 2: Another part of this, and another thing that is a part of this is these products and services.
Speaker 4: Robert, Oh god, I love a good product and a good service. Ugh, we're back.
Speaker 3: We're filled with the bounty of products and services and we're ready to hear more about the cockroach Janta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so again kind of very familiar to a lot of protests that we have seen over our lives. These are very very social media driven protests in a way that's also similar to a lot of the protests that have been happening in actually particularly in neighboring regions protesting like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, et cetera, et cetera. And you know, if you want any of like the Instagram reels or whatever from these, god.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it's so just depressingly familiar in a lot of ways where it's very funny reading people talking about this because they're like, ah, it's these like irony meme driven you know, like kids making these like irony meme driven things about like getting the shit beaten out in by riot police and like, you know, it's like people doing fit checks and then like getting like beaten with batons, and it's like, oh, yeah, okay, we've all been there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been having a very like I'm feeling old moment watching these because it's like, oh god, I remember these from like twenty thirteen when we were doing the same shit and.
Speaker 3: Well, That's one of the tough things too as you get older, is both you know, and this is less the case when we're talking about a foreign movement, because I don't think I have any ability to influence that. When you're talking to like younger activists, it's a mix of wanting to like let them know about the pitfalls and problems that previous generations have encountered when you see them, you know, kind of heading in that same direction, and also not wanting to be like, well, just because I'm burnt out doesn't mean you should because I mean I should, Yeah, Like you shouldn't be excited about this thing just because I can't get excited anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you know, and that's always the thing with these kind of protests. It's like sometimes you win, yeah, and sometimes you win, and there's there's never God. David Graeber had this quote I forget who, Yes.
Speaker 3: Well, I know the one you're talking about where he's he's talking about like the dealing with like the surprise of victory.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was actually gonna do a different one. Oh, Okay, that one's also good. But he had this quote with a revolutionary in Egypt, like from the twenty eleven like uprising there, and you know, she had this quote where it was like, you do these protests all the time, and sometimes thirty people show up and you're depressed, and sometimes one hundred people show up and you know, you're really happy, and then one day, eight hundred thousand people show up and you kind of forgot that could happen. Yeah, and that's kind of what this is, right, where it's like, yeah, that's that's exactly how it goes.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It starts as like a bit from a dude who's not even in India at the time, right, He's at a school in the US, and he and so he just makes this kind of meme page and it takes off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then suddenly you know, you actually have And part of this is also like weird stuff about how algorithms work. But like, part of what's been happening here too is that there's been a huge shift in the regime in India's ability to control social media, which something they've been very very good at up until this point. They've been really good at controlling both sort of online discourse and also have taken almost complete control over just the regular mainstream media and these protests and like the way that people are just sort of casually being like hey, fitcheck going out to a protest, and like the way that the self spread algorithmically, and the way that you know, you have people going out for protest stuff, but that also mixes with just you know, people who are going out just to film it for like their Instagram reels and it. But all of all of them end up like in the streets, and you get the situation where like the mainstream media is just like absolutely refuses to talk about the protest whatsoever. But then you know, if you're like on Instagram, you're on any social media site, it's the only thing you're seeing. And this kind of weakens the control that the BGP has been able to maintain over all of these spaces. Yeah, but that doesn't mean that like they've you know, lost control completely. You know, the BGP is like kind of in their counterattack phase right now, and you get a really bleak look at how like right wing governments with longstanding sort of right wing online basis and media bases work where yeah, they do these like harassment campaigns against women who went.
Speaker 4: Out protesting they should do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's all the stuff that you're familiar with, right, Like they'll show clips if people like on news channels and then people will like dox them and like start stalking them and they get threats and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard people had to like hide and stuff. Yeah, especially like female activists while they were during the protests.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's also you know, it's like it's like large scale threats of sexual violence are yep, a very common part of this, and that's god, yes, you know, that's like how these people are able to maintain power. But even as this sort of visual kind of attack is happening and it's extremely brutal and it's really a mess, the control of the mainstream media is also slipping. One of the things I learned like reading about this is there's a term that I guess generally kind of like opposition people are using with the protesters also used where they call they call the like the mainstream press like goaty media, which is like it's like lap in Hindi. So it's it's basically like calling them like lapdog media instead of being watchdogs, which I love.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I like it a lot. Yeah, I did too, that's great. It's like it's good.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't I don't know exactly how to steal that for us, but I love it.
Speaker 4: It's great. Yeah, I should be thinking about that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But part of the problem with having, you know, this kind of like incredible degree of like media centralization that the regime has been able to pull together is that, you know, after being in power for so long, having their narrative be like completely hegemonic for so long, they're running into like the cracks, you know, these sort of cracks forming in their nationalist messaging because like they're running into the fundamental problem that you can't eat national pride. And so if if literally the entire media all the time is trying to ignore that these protests are happening, and then also was telling you that your country is great and like Modi is great and you're such a world great world leader, but then you know you can't feed your family, that that's an actual problem. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, and like and like normally, the way that nationalists would sort of deal with this is to be like, yeah, you don't have jobs and your economy sucks because of like some either immigrant group or in this case, it would sort of like you should probably be doing this with Muslims, but they've been in power for so long that it's like kind of hard to do that because it's like this is your country now, right, like you have taken control of it. And yet Yeah, and this kind of feeds into this, you know, question at a broader level about what these protests are actually about, because on a very basic level, they're about education perform and they're about these tests, and they're about the education system as a whole. But on a broader level, it's more complicated because these protests, as you know, protests often do function as a sort of aggregator of different kinds of struggle with you know, different beliefs and motivations, and you get a whole bunch of different kinds of people.
Speaker 4: In the street.
Speaker 2: I want to read this quote from an interview Frontline India did with the guy who was the founder of the CJAP, which is to say, just like the guy who made the meme that went viral, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That is how he got the job, so to speak. And he's done a really good job, by the way, Like I think he's been really responsible. Yeah, he could not have anticipated this happening, but he seems to be really dedicated to the cause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to quote him here talking about what the ideology of this party, if it existed, would be the ideology of the CJP, and many of our young people are also very progressive, liberal, secular, will be secular, democratic and socialist, and we strive for social justice. And he also mentions three people that he's you know, he's he's inspired by, and two of them I think are kind of not particularly surprising given this kind of like this is kind of what like secular, progressive, democratic y politics look like, which is he mentions Gandhi and Nehru. But what's interesting and what I haven't seen literally at all in any other coverage at this protest, is that the third person that he mentions is Ambedkar. Which, yeah, I assume you, having been there and spend a deep amount of time in India, I assume you know who Ambedkar is.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I don't know. Really interesting, Okay, not in a meaningful way.
Speaker 2: Now, this is actually kind of a good proxy. I assume people listening to the show know who Gandhi is. You've probably at least heard of Nehru who was the first Arime Minister of India.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: MBITCR is a lot less well known. He's another one of the very important sort of independence era figures in India. But he is the guy around which like the anti cast movement rallies.
Speaker 4: Was it was he in the fifties or sixties.
Speaker 2: No, he like first starts this in like the like the twenties and thirties, and then he's alive through independence.
Speaker 4: Oh okay really that era?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, he's he's around like in the era of like revolutionary struggle against the.
Speaker 4: British creed independence yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he you know, he like survives through independence and gets to see some of.
Speaker 3: That the partition of India and all that good stuff. Yeah, all the fun things happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is a period, you know, if you look at like the nineteen ten's, twenties, thirties, this is a period both about the anti colonial struggle and then also like what the struggle is going to be, right, Like, who's whose vision of India is going to come out of a post independence world if there is one? And Mbitcr's thing here is yes, like we want like we want independence and we want socialism because you know, a lot of the people of the like Nahry was technic is like a kind of socialist right, like a lot of a lot of the independence activists are. But he's also in a position of we need to get rid of the cast system because he sees it as like correctly, as like an incredibly powerful sort of force of oppression in Indian society, and he thinks that that's not something that they should like wait until independence to deal with. And so he's a very very important like leader in the anti cast movements, and he's probably I think he's probably just like their best known intellectual. I would really recommend reading his book, The Annihilation of Cast. Well, I say book, it's like that it's not that long. Yeah, Like it's probably like my favorite thing I've read and from the writers of that era. It's an address that he's making basically to both I guess you'd call it like more conservative pro in dependence activists and then also to the socialists to be like, hey, you should also talk about cast at the same time you're talking about British oppression and also class The CJP founder like mentions this because he's from a low cast background, and he goes like, yeah, like no, like I wouldn't have been able to go to school in the United States and like have the successes that I've had in my life without ambicar. I thought this was really interesting because it's not mentioned in any other reporting, even though it's like in an interview he's said, and also, I think this is a dynamic here that is like not well understood in most places, that like, this is a still operative system of oppression that people are still fighting against, and that is relevant enough to be like one of the things that gets mentioned by the guy who starts this movement. And that's not to say the rest of the movement like necessarily is exactly this focused on it. Which is one of the parts of this movement that's both why it succeeded and also one of the kind of messy parts of it. Right, is that on the one hand, this has become a really or full vehicle for these sort of like broadly secular like pro democracy, like antibody, anti dictatorship students, and there's always been like a fairly large like cohort of you know, sort of like young left leaning or leftist students. I mean there was a whole i don't know what you'd call it, like social panic slash government purge against this idea of like quote unquote urban Naxles, which was supposed to be like oh, there's like these like urban versions of like the nax like communist guerrillas that are in the universities, which is, you know, in a lot of ways, very similar to but a significantly more advanced and repressive version of the stuff that like you see the Trump administration doing in the US education system and the sort of like witch hunts over you know, Palestine and stuff like that. So you know, you have that group of sort of like center left and leftist students to where a lot of people who started the protest movement. But also there's also just like BJP kids, yeah, who are in the streets because they're like, yeah, like we all got fucked in our.
Speaker 3: Tests because bullshit. Yeah, yeah, it's the same reason. Now you've got a decent chunk at least like a third of the twenty or something percent of the people who voted for Trump in twenty twenty four are more people who'd voted for Biden or for.
Speaker 4: Hillary a few years earlier.
Speaker 3: Right there are people who maybe they went for this guy, but as soon as it stops working for them, as soon as like the fascistm isn't delivering what it promises, they'll get pissed. They'll get out wide, up with the streets. Yeah, you don't have to like them to recognize that as a phenomenon.
Speaker 4: Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a kind of like third phenomenon too, which is, as these protests go on, you get more and more of different kinds of like both rural and urban workers, more urban workers and real workers. But this is you know, the thing about education protests at their core is that this is something that cuts across like rural urban divides to an extent in the sense that like both poor rural kids and poor urban kids are still getting fucked by this, you know, like by the exam system. But then you know, you get workers starting to join it who also have these I think, I don't know the way that commentators talk about it is that they're unconnected. I think they're a lot more connected than that. But you know, you get you get you get these workers with these like cost of living crisis concerns, who who are also joining this protest, And I guess part of this is a girl who spent a lot of time studying and writing aboutmen. But this is kind of the exact class composition of Timen and how those protests unfold it where you have its origins in like this, in this specific student movement thing that has kind of specific student movement grievances that then you know, goes into the streets around their specific demands, and then everyone watches them get the ship beaten out of them, and that brings more and more people into the streets who have their own kind of specific demands around like the economic conditions they're in. And this is a very common like composition for for revolts. I mean, it's it's the basis of everything from like I mean God, like it's part of the basis of the French Revolution. You can look at like May sixty eight, like you know, so the revolts against Pinochet, like I mean, occupy is like a lot to a large extent, like this class base, right, if you have a bunch of students who are very concerned about debt, and then that brings in a bunch of more working class people who are like not students anymore. But that's also what makes it dangerous. It's a very old kind of alliance, and it's a kind of alliance that can always materialize because students and poor workers are some of the first people to feel when the economic tides are shifting, and that like constantly creates these kind of uprisings, right, and you know, they're dangerous enough that if you look at the last thirty years of Chinese politics, a whole bunch of of the politics of modern China are about specifically making sure that this exact coalition doesn't form again. So you know, when the old working class is sort of crushed with the like remains the welfare state in the nineties, like, there's a very deliberate attempt to buy off the students at the same time to make sure they never make common cause. And like any time you've seen sort of student worker actions since then, there's this massive crackdown on it because the Chinese government understands that this is this is a very very dangerous political coalition, and it's a political coalition that has outlasted I mean literally like a lot of the working classes that were originally in these uprisings, like the French revolutionary like artis in class like that doesn't exist anymore, right, Like the industrial working class in like France or like Italy in the sixties, Like that also doesn't exist anymore, but you still see this like specific configuration of classes doing these protest movements. Yeah, there's obviously always a lot of different motivations, and conflict against the state tends to be the thing that can like solidify a kind of identity that allows you to do any kind of mass movements, right, Like this is like one of the few things that can you know, fighting the police and having the state repress you, and then having the states as a force you can fight against concretely that just appears when you oppose it, like is one of the things that like makes these kinds of protest stupens work. And then also underneath that the economy is broken in a lot of the ways you saw like in like twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen, which is like I think the last big cycle of these mass protests where you have this economic instability, and what I think is particularly similar between now and like twenty eighteen, was that technically speaking, if you look at the economy in India right now, as long as you ignore the youth unemployment rate. It looks like the economy is growing.
Speaker 4: Things are good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like the same thing as the US, where it's like, well, I mean the economic indicators have been getting worse, but like you know, technically speaking, it looks like the US economy is growing, but if you're living under it, it's like, no, it's not. And there's all of these sort of cracks and ripples in the global economy in twenty eighteen was like this where like the American economy was like doing fine, and a lot of like the major economies were in theory doing fine. But then you know, there was a series of currency like crises and like there were like these economic collapses. Yeah, there's like this hyperinflation in Turkey. You get these things in like Chile, and then you know, you start seeing these protests. You get like Haiti, you get the yellow ves, you see like Hong Kong Lebanon a rock god like Iran for the first time of this giant cycle of protests in Iran me and Maar like even like Russia briefly goes up. And I'm bringing this up to say that like one of the things about a protest like this, right and there's been several other ones that were very big protests in Indonesia over the last couple of months. These protests often a recur and b are in some ways an early warning signal before like there's going to be another giant round of these kind of protests.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I hope, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think there's a decent chance of it because like, you know, the economy still hasn't like hit rock bottom yet. No, and in the way that like you know, you saw that in twenty twenty where like, yeah, the bottom finally fell out of the economy with COVID.
Speaker 3: Furthermore, maybe this is putting it a little bit too strongly, but like the people who do not like the regime at particularly the activists, have like tasted a little blood now yeah. Yeah, Like it's really hard once people win, once a movement wins, for it to not try to keep winning, right, That's kind of a natural instinct.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and the BJP is is, you know, obviously doing its best to do to.
Speaker 4: Suppress this, yeah, to suppress or co opt yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the problem that they're facing is is the fundamental problem of all of the regimes everywhere, which is that, like, it's a lot harder to maintain one of these kinds of regimes when you have been in power for a long time and suddenly the economy implodes. And that's coming for India the same way that's coming for the rest of the world. And also in very specific ways of like you know, we've talked about I've talked about on this show elsewhere, the effects of the blockade of the shrade'formuz has been devastating in India in a way that it hasn't been in the US. Yeap, and you know, you also have like heat waves that are also you know, both economically and just like living devastating. There was an expression in the Hong Kong protest that they were drawing from a Mao quote but also it's way older than Mao, as like Mao says in the thing where he says it. But the Hong konger has had this line that like a single spark can start a prairie fire, and the thing about the Indian economy is that it is throwing sparks off everywhere. And that doesn't mean that every individual spark is going to be the one that starts the fire, but it means that as as you continue to get more and more sparks, the odds that you see another one of these revolts increases, and hopefully the odds that one of these protests and one of these movements can finally knock off the fascists and yeah, fundamentally transform Indian society rices.
Speaker 4: Yep, or at least get mody out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just at a bare minimum, you know, I'll take the minimum if that's what it is. Oh God, Okay, Well, thank you Mia, and thank you the cockroach Janta over in India.
Speaker 4: Good work.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, y'all, that is actually really nice to see.
Speaker 4: Fucking rocks. Give them hell proud of you.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for It Could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.