Speaker 1: Hello, I am Rosie Night and welcome back to X ray Vision, the podcast where we deep dive into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. We are coming to you from iHeart Podcast, where we'll be bringing you three episodes a week and news on Saturdays. And today I am joined by none other than super producer and super hot take Haver Aaron.
Speaker 2: Thank you Rosie and you know the only thing that's going to be hot this episode, I think is this beautiful food that we are bringing because today we're celebrating the holidays with an imaginary potluck featuring our favorite fictional foods. Now, I know you might be thinking, why would you want fictional foods? Well in reality? Why would you want dinner rolls when you could have lembus bread? Why would you want turkey when you could get all the protein that you need from a pile of bugs found in a rotting log that.
Speaker 3: Timon and Koombra have pulled out of the wood.
Speaker 4: And mining or nicious?
Speaker 3: Why would you.
Speaker 2: Need some, you know, pumpkin pie when you could finish your meal with everlasting gobstoppers. We're all going to take a seat at the table, introduce our food and where it's from and give a quick description on why we think this item is the perfect addition to our holiday meal.
Speaker 1: And now we are going to welcome our super producers Calm and Joel and Ian to take their seats our fictional friends giving to enjoy some delightful and delectable fictional food.
Speaker 5: How are you guys doing, because he has already begun.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, when before we go on Mike, we were all like, uh oh wait a minute, that abs And.
Speaker 6: This is very reminiscent of the time my grandma said she wasn't gonna make the mac and cheese, and then there was a giant fight over who now has the rights to bring mac and cheese, and three people brought mac and cheese and a clear winner was decided. So hopefully we have some really crisp lines here and we're able to make a full meal of it.
Speaker 4: I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: Well, Rosie, since you are hosting us for this pot, look, do you want to start first and tell us what food item you're bringing?
Speaker 7: Okay, I will begin, And guys, I love to celebrate with my friends and cook for them and enjoy meals all throughout the day, so I will be beginning our all day fictional pot luck with the eggs and bacon from How's Moving Costa.
Speaker 8: Secudio Jiby, most beautiful bacon you've ever seen in the world, Joelle, we are the same person, so no surprise that we're also planning to bring this.
Speaker 1: Now we get to eat this. This is from the world of How's Moving Costle. This is the breakfast that's Sophie and how cooked together once she finds herself in the titular castle. It is cooked on the magical flames of Calcifer. And this is definitely one of the most beloved.
Speaker 4: Foods in fictional history.
Speaker 1: I think the smiley face of it, the perfectly cooked yolk. It's gonna give us the energy to get through the rest of our day and help each other with these delicious fictional food delicacies that we are bringing to this.
Speaker 4: So yes, that is my first pitch.
Speaker 3: The inclusion of Calcifer is great.
Speaker 4: You've got to bring We start off with breakfast. This is exactly it's great.
Speaker 1: Starting out strong, starting out strong, Gonnas go for all day.
Speaker 4: Anna.
Speaker 1: I'm very interested to see Joelle's reaction to another person who has the.
Speaker 4: Same brain as us Ian. What have you brought to my delicious pot luck.
Speaker 9: So my delicious dish is also from a Ghibli film. This one is from Spirited Away, notably the opening sequence where she here on her parents first get to the spirit world and there's those abandoned foodstalls and her parents are like, oh, there's all this free food. And so mine is the Taiwanese like crystal meatballs. It's like the like meatball wrapped in like the mochi wrapper. Yeah, so they look incredible, they look delicious, like.
Speaker 5: The food this dinner party.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're gonna turn into pigs. But but isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? Excess and gluttons, you know? Is that the real spirit of Thanksgiving? So I think, uh, that's gonna be my dish.
Speaker 4: Great choice.
Speaker 1: Every single time I watch that, I'm always like I would never have made it through. Like I'm eating the food, I'm enjoying the delicacies. I'm turning into a pig and hopefully one of my many nieces and nephews will save me.
Speaker 3: All right, Carmen, what do you have for us?
Speaker 4: All Right?
Speaker 10: I am this is a little bit of a stretch here, because I'm making up my own little fictional food item from one of my favorite series, Courage Cowardly Dog. So I think that there was some underrated food dishes and encourage the Cowardly Dog. But I always think of you can't have a pot lock without macaroni and cheese, and I always think of the episode specifically it's called Little Murial. There's an episode. It's season one, episode thirteen, and Courage is trying to make the perfect macaroni and cheese for a little mural. Now, the reason that this is like a fictional thing I've made up is this is the macaroni and cheese I bring is. However, you whatever your perfect macaroni and cheese is in your mind, that is what you're going to get when you bite into my fictional mac and cheese.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 10: Famously, in the episode Murial, she throughout the episode she's Courage just having a tweak because she's going, I hate too much macaroni, not enough macaronie, not enough cheese, Macaroni and cheese.
Speaker 4: She's the Goldielocks of mac and cheeses.
Speaker 10: So it's that Goldilock zone of the perfect mac and cheese for you for your tastes.
Speaker 1: I love that, aaron What what are you bringing to the fictional food potlock.
Speaker 2: I think I just want to bring whatever food makes Carmen speak that way for the entire recording. So if I can like bring that, I do that. But if not, I'm gonna follow the cheese train. Actually, I'm gonna bring us. We've had this group has had a lot of strange pizza takes over the course. I'm just gonna bring two pizzas, actually, because we have a picky group. So these are both pizzas from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series.
Speaker 3: First of all, perfect, we have.
Speaker 2: A pretty tame one. This is the pizza with buttersalami and yogurt. I think this is great. You get a little bit of meat, you get a little bit of fat, you get a little bit of dairy double yogurt.
Speaker 3: That's great. A little bit.
Speaker 1: If it's a spicy pepperoni with like a Greek yogurt, you could maybe tempt me.
Speaker 4: But yes, Joelle, I love that.
Speaker 1: It seems like you were learning for the very first time that the Ninja Tittles have terrible taste in pizza.
Speaker 4: They only choose the weird.
Speaker 2: Joelle, fast if you don't like that one, I think You're gonna love the second pizza I brought, which is peanut butter, avocado and extra pickles.
Speaker 10: You no avocado, You're done?
Speaker 6: I think about is there a surprising ladies could work together as a flavor combo?
Speaker 5: But no, why didn't your great food? No one could eat it?
Speaker 2: To keep this down, you can actually go on YouTube. There's there's multiple people who have cooked the various Ninja Turtles pizzas.
Speaker 3: It is wild to watch. There are really weird ones like.
Speaker 4: Lots of saudines.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's a different thing like pepperoni and marshmallow. But I wanted to bring too that I felt like actually might kind of work. I do think a little bit of tomato sauce with peanut butter, avocado and extra pickles.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it might work.
Speaker 1: You just got and once again Aaron with a controversial tape. But I appreciate the Ninja Turtles and New York nature of it all because I do love the Ninja turtles and they do have terrible taste in pizza.
Speaker 4: And yes, that's also a great holiday watch.
Speaker 1: Recommend do go and watch those YouTube channels of people making all the real Ninja Turtles pizzas. Because it's pretty incredible to see the ones that are unsalvageable and the ones where you're like onto.
Speaker 4: Something, maybe something.
Speaker 2: And you know, Aboo is not here with us because he's actually waiting for his taco bell door dash.
Speaker 3: He was really upsessed, as he should.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna go to Joel. So, Joel, what are you bringing for your piece?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Saved the day. Okay.
Speaker 6: So what I'm noticing about our table is we have a lot of sides and some disgusting pizza. So I have to really consider here how we can bring some balance to this table.
Speaker 5: And so I was thinking, well, you need a bird.
Speaker 6: It has a bird on the table, where their cinema has has showcased many a delicious bird over the years, especially at a holiday feast, but I think none finer than in a Muppets Christmas Carol, the truth that Scrooge serves at the end that bird yestening, but also it's split at the top, which means your skin is extra crispy.
Speaker 5: Okay, it is a juicy, humongous goose.
Speaker 6: I feel like I love a goose because it's like really old school kind of style holiday meal.
Speaker 5: I think this is what I'm gonna bring.
Speaker 6: There's also the little baby muppet one that Miss Piggy ser serve family, and I would like it to be on the table because it's cute.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the mom, she did her best even before Scrooge came through.
Speaker 4: But I agree, Joelle. I am a number one.
Speaker 1: Muppet Christmas Carol lover. And that is a delicious goose.
Speaker 4: Even though in England we're more.
Speaker 1: Chicken, we don't really eat. I'm not really My family was never a turkey family.
Speaker 11: They were.
Speaker 10: I am with your family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, noose, but you know what Christmas chicken, they'll be eating a little oh a ham.
Speaker 4: That's great news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're not eating all this pizza, maybe we do have room for seconds.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I think there might be room for seconds. The pizza is probably going to be really.
Speaker 4: Good cold for breakfast.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Day cold, cold butter and salami yogurt pizza, Joel for you. So, now that we have realized there will be room for leftovers, we're going.
Speaker 4: To take a quick break and then we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: To talk about our second dish that we would bring to the fictional potlock in reverse.
Speaker 11: Order and we're back Joel.
Speaker 6: All right, so we're again flush with sides and we've got a goose now, so that's great. I'm really I'm glad that our table is filling out. And when I think about, you know, what needs to be added, it's it's obviously desserts. Now again, there's some real contenders out here, guys. I contemplated bringing the green jiggly Jello from Jurassic Park, because have you ever seen jello?
Speaker 10: I have it really good?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, But then.
Speaker 6: Then I thought about the greatest song about food of all time. Just be our guest, a parade of fabulous.
Speaker 4: Wow iconic.
Speaker 6: For a goo and cheesy flay. But I would like to bring the pie and putting on flombay. Okay, I want fire on my dessert.
Speaker 5: I want it. I want a presentation.
Speaker 6: Okay, I've never set putting on fire, and it sounds like fun. Could be a little bit of a piratic, I could be a bit of a foodie. It's like the best of both worlds coming together, pie and putting on bombee.
Speaker 9: Let's get it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's an incredible hack.
Speaker 1: I love how you were like, yeah, well, if I chose the meal with every dish.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I don't know, just the pie and putting on fambet. I bring the one dish, stay within the rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I feel like it's still a large portion, so I appreciate you being so generous.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna change what I was gonna do, and I'm gonna play off of Joel's pie and putting on flombay. We got a little bit of flame, a little bit of heat, let's keep it going. We also don't have anything to drink yet, so I'm going to go to the bar. I'm gonna pour all the leftover bits of liquor into a blunder and oh, what's that? A little bit of children's cough syrup as well, and then we're gonna drop a cigarette butt into it. And that is flaming Homer from The Simpsons.
Speaker 4: This man like this?
Speaker 5: Why does he hey us? Why did I am biam?
Speaker 4: He's just drawling my dinner pie?
Speaker 10: Like ye, Aaron, what are you bringing to the dinner verse The fire tastes good and it passes, as Homer says, it passes the first test.
Speaker 2: He doesn't go blind, so drink I'm serving everyone a flaming Homer.
Speaker 9: Wow, I don't know if you're getting invited to the next one erin I don't know the last.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You all chose eggs and bacon and pie fictional food.
Speaker 3: Here we go, like, let's celebrate these weird items.
Speaker 5: I don't want to drink a cigarette, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's just just the fire, just the fire.
Speaker 4: Just pass it hot take kids. I would like to drink a cigarette.
Speaker 1: But you know what I will say when when I went to uh, when I went to Orlando, what my nephew wanted me to buy more than anything from the Simpsons themed world was a flaming Homer or a flaming Mo.
Speaker 4: He was like, you want to get one? And I was like, bro, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's some kind of alcoholic drink.
Speaker 2: But I did say flaming home or not a flaming mo. Let's do the DIY version.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm saying this is like the flaming Homer. We can't get the flaming mo. Okay, common let's I'm very interested to see where this is going, because this turned out way more chaoic than expected, which I love.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know it really Okay, I am tempted to change course and go in the direction of Aaron because I am thinking now of Simpson's episode, a legendary Simpsons episode where the steamed hams episode.
Speaker 4: We're going to say the grab juice.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: And what is this?
Speaker 10: Uh so it's in the season seven episode two Short Films about Springfield.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that episode.
Speaker 10: And so there's a steamed ham segment, a segment that is a very popular It's now been turned into a meme. But I believe what's the principal's.
Speaker 1: Name, Skinner Skinner, Principal Skinner has who.
Speaker 3: Is Yeah, Carmen is like, I'm going to bring a meme to the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, are you.
Speaker 10: Bringing try the gray stuff? Try the gray stuff?
Speaker 4: Are you bringing? Are you bringing this steamed hams? Are you bringing? Like actually nice hamburgers?
Speaker 3: You know what, well, don't.
Speaker 10: When I think of steamed hams, I think of a crystal burger. And I know y'all don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: No, explain, it is a crystal we love we love some fictional we love some region white catl Burger based.
Speaker 5: Yes, Okay, then.
Speaker 4: So it's real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yeah, someone take.
Speaker 10: The mic from me, and what what would you like to bring?
Speaker 5: Just seen hands as a crystal burger. You'll see. I think it's there.
Speaker 4: Fucking wet hamber. Thanks Mom, Thanks Mom. I have to say I'm gonna make sure that in the show notes.
Speaker 1: I wrote an article many years ago, like I don't know, probably when I was first doing this, like nine years ago, for women write about comics. Don't kick me out the I r S or DHS. It was volunteer work while I was waiting for my green card. I would write there for free. And I wrote an article about fictional food and the warmth of fictional food and hobbits and lambers, bread and spirit away and it was so cozy and delicious, and I love how like inherently deranged this selection has.
Speaker 4: It's so good and let's go for it. What's coming next?
Speaker 9: So we need I think another dessert. So what I'm going to bring is the imagination pie from Hook Steven sp Yes, yes, yes, those technicolor pies and desserts. They you know you have to use your imagination to conjure them up to the table. There's so much red forty and all those it just looks like As a child, I was just always fascinated. I was like, what does that taste like? It looks so good, and my imagination it's like a delicious, like Rainbow Sherbert kind of thing. But you know what's more delicious in the power of imagination and friendship. So that's what I'm bringing for dessert. It's that imagination pie.
Speaker 5: From Rosie Bring Us Home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that sequence.
Speaker 1: I was definitely like, who amongst us was not in love with Rufio Dante Basco?
Speaker 3: Still in love with you.
Speaker 4: You're wonderful.
Speaker 1: So I love imagination pie, but you know what imaginary? So I'm going to end in case people want to taste a delicious dessert they can actually eat. I'm going for the Ziggy Piggy Sunday from Bill and Ted Ziggy's ice creams where which is the Sunday that Napoleon eats and when he finishes it, they say Ziggy Piggy, Ziggy pig and he gets a pin and it's like the world taste delicious, giant looking ice cream Sunday and it's delectable. And this Ziggy Piggy's is definitely, like you know, based on chuck E Cheese, so very in my interests, and yes, I think imagination pie.
Speaker 4: We begin with the taste of love and friendship.
Speaker 1: We end with probably a dairy stomach disaster, but hey, we're going for chaos, so you know what, at least it's delicious first.
Speaker 2: All right, So just to recap Rosie, you brought suyo Jibli eggs and bacon from How's Moving Castle and a Ziggy Piggy Sunday. You have a theme going there, definitely. And then Ian brought spirited aways abandoned foodstall meatballs and the imagination pie from Hook. Joel brought the goose that Scrooge serves at the end of Muppet Christmas Carol and the pie and putting on Flambay.
Speaker 3: That's the most normal meal, a most normal.
Speaker 2: I brought those two incredible pizzas peanut butter avocado and extra pickles and buttersalami and double yogurt, and then a flaming Homer and Carmen brought mac and cheese and a real item, the crystal burger, which you get in real life.
Speaker 8: Choices.
Speaker 5: But he did follow the assignment.
Speaker 1: Aren's like Aaron said, nobody said it had to be delicious for you said just fictional.
Speaker 2: Guys, you think I'm not committing to the bit, ever.
Speaker 1: We know he always commits to the bit and this was a total joy. Thank you for joining me, and also, guys, if you have favorite fictional food, you should Last Knowhow's up on Instagram, Last Know in the discord. Join the Discord. I'm sure there'll be lots of fictional food and real food being posted in there this holiday season. Thank you so much to my guests for coming and definitely respecting my fictional food table. Thank you to our listeners, and we hope you are having a wonderful holiday season wherever you are and whatever you happen to be eating.
Speaker 4: Stay safe.
Speaker 7: Love from Extra Vision, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Our supervising producer is Abusafar.
Speaker 1: Our producers are Common Laurent, Dean Johnson and Fay Wag.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Ron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Soul Ruben Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our Discord moderator,