Speaker 1: All Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Robert Evans here and this is it could Happen here a podcast out Things falling apart, and boy they share seem to be, don't they. The twenty twenty four election is terrifying a lot of people at this stage after a disastrous debate performance by Joe Biden. And this episode will be coming out on the Monday that the Republican National Convention starts in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A lot of people are terrified about a Trump dictatorship, about Project twenty twenty five and all that that entails. And I want to tell you first off, you know we will be having a lot of coverage from the convention. Garrison, Sophie and I are all going to be there all week. We'll start dropping our convention episodes on Wednesday and Thursday and Friday, and then we'll probably have some summary content after that the next week, So we will be getting you our experiences here and everything that we encounter on the ground during what I think is going to wind up being a pretty important week for the American fascist movement. But right now, what I want to address is the sense of kind of unbridled terror that I've seen from a lot of people around me, not just leftists, but regular people that I know in my life, Folks who are just kind of like casual democrats, not the kind to think much about politics, but have suddenly seen the potential of what a Trump second term might bring with it and are rightfully terrified. So I want to first off, tell everyone in that bucket, don't panic. That's what this episode is about. And I'm going to try and give you some good reasons not to panic, some reasons why our situation is not as dire as it seems. And my goal here is not to lull you into an action or stop you from preparing. You should, in fact be preparing, And we talk about the various things you can do organizing in your community, taking action to support migrants, to support each other, to support your LGBTQ friends, women seeking reproductive justice. That's our daily bread and butter. Right now, I want to give you some reasons for optimism about victory and the overall struggle against these fucking maniacts so as most regular listeners will know, Back in the spring of twenty nineteen, I published the first season of It Could Happen Here, which was originally a scripted podcast about the very real possibility of a civil conflict in the United States. The years since have proven several of my predictions painfully accurate. I started the series with fictional vignettes from the perspective of an American civilian watching American tanks roll through the streets of their city. Within a year, thousands and thousands of listeners had variants of that exact experience thanks to the George Floyd uprisings. I was humbled and more than a little frightened by the response that some people had to the first iteration of it Could Happen Here. During twenty twenty, while I was on the ground in four different states, dozens and dozens of people told me the series had influenced their own choices for how to act and organize on the ground with their friends out in the world, and that is humbling and a little bit frightening. And I promise you I'm not laying this out to brag or try to make an argument from authority. I'm not saying I predicted something five years ago and was right, so you should listen to what I have to predict now. In fact, I kind of want to do the opposite because in another podcast I recorded in twenty nineteen on the anti VAXX movement, this would have been an episode of Behind the Bastards, I laid out a theoretical pandemic and I described it spreading almost exactly the way the COVID nineteen pandemic really did spread just a few months later. And yet, in February of twenty twenty, when COVID nineteen had been confirmed to have entered the United States and was spreading over other parts of the world like wildfire, I had friends ask me what I thought was going to happen, and, you know, thinking back to stars, thinking back to bird flu, thinking back to the Ebola, you know, epidemic in twenty fourteen. My answer was, I don't know, It'll probably be fine. Right, someone, surely there's some adults out there who are gonna, you know, lock this thing down. They're not just gonna let it run rampant over the population. Right. There's a term for what happened to me there, and it's called normalcy bias. Normalcy bias is the tendency to assume that whatever has gone down in the past will keep happening, often despite evidence to the contrary. Something like eighty percent of people display attributes of delusional thinking caused by the normalcy bias during disasters, Emergency responders sometimes called this negative panic. We got a great example of negative panic a couple of weeks ago. Video went viral of a bowl that got loose during a rodeo in rural Oregon, and it started just just absolutely goring random yocals who were like wandering around in between chiro stands and beer carts behind sort of the stands. And a few of these people had the presence of mind to run. One guy even pulled a gun. And I don't know entirely how we want to rate that as a response, but a lot of folks just stared at the bowl, which a blank looks on their face is utterly uncomprehended. You can tell from their body language that they just couldn't believe what they were seeing. And some of those people got rammed right in the fucking gut by a bull a second later. The immediate danger that their eyes were telling them was there just seemed too far fetched to take seriously. The normalcy bias is an important cognitive error, but it's just one of the cognitive errors that regularly pushes mankind towards catastrophes. And while we're on that subject, I should warn those of you who'd like to try their hand at predicting the future of a separate cognitive delusion, catastrophizing. This is the tendency to assume that the absolute worst case scenario will come to pass, and it's often a trauma reaction. When you've been blown up, you kind of always expect the world to blow up around you. If you've been in a relationship with someone who blows up, who screams or gets violent or threatens to kill themselves during arguments, you might find yourself expecting that from anyone else that you date, even if they've never displayed that kind of behavior. And if you've watched an in the bag sheer thing presidential election collapse and usher in a new era of fascist political capture in your country. Well, you might see that kind of thing happening and expect it whenever the polls open up again. The tricky part of actually predicting the future with any accuracy, which is a thing that I have been both professionally successful at and personally bad at doing, is balancing your normalcy bias with your catastrophizing. This is easier said than done, and I have noticed that my effort to reach this state has produced some peculiar cognitive effects of late. In the six months that led up to the first presidential debate, I felt constant growing anxiety about a second Trump term. Only some of my anxiety was based on polling, which didn't look great for Biden, but wasn't apocalyptic either. I was anxious because I saw so many people around me, and I'm not talking about folks on Twitter, but in the real world, go, well, obviously Biden's gotta win, there's no way Trump gets elected again, and then go about their day. Then the debate happened. Joe went on stage, barely able to speak at a legible volume, coughing slurring his words and dropping into tangents rather than making cogent cases to the country. Everyone around me started to get terrified all at once, and the mainstream media did what it does and pivoted to round the clock coverage of the issue of Biden's competency. You know, some people have alleged that this is because the media has some sort of an agenda here, and I really don't credit the media, as someone who has spent his life working adjacent to the mainstream media with that kind of capacity to plan. What these people, what these reporters, what these news organs were doing was pivoting to the issue that was doing the most to raise our collective blood pressure, because, among other things, that's what social media has trained them to do, because that's where the fucking money is, right, you know, not that this issue didn't exist before that. If it bleeds, it leads has been a long time axiom in the field. But that's what's happening here too, right, And because the money is in saying and talking about the things that gets people's blood pumping the most. The question of is Joe Biden doomed soon yielded to is democracy doomed? As analysts and pundits started hyping up Project twenty twenty five, a blueprint for fascist takeover of the US published by the Heritage Foundation last year. Now, I am not a polster, and I don't claim debase any of what I say next on some kind of mathematic expertise. But I don't think we're doomed. I don't think fascist takeover is inevitable, even in the likely event that Biden loses, and I think our position is a lot stronger than most people realize. This is why right wing influencers and strategists have started going so hard on rhetoric that makes them sound like fucking Cobra commander. The best example of how mask off the fascist right has gotten is Kevin Roberts, president of the Heritage Foundation, who said this during a recent press conference.
Speaker 3: The reason that so many anchors on MSNBC, for example, are losing their minds daily is because our side is winning. And so I come full circle in this response and just want to encourage you with some substance that we are in the process of the Second American Revolution, which will remain bloodless if the left allows it to be.
Speaker 2: Another of these guys is Jack Pisobic, a former Navy intelligence officer turned supplement salesman and fascist political philosopher. Jack spoke on a panel hosted by Steve Bannon for Seapak where he said this, but I just.
Speaker 4: Wanted to say, welcome to the end of democracy. We're here to overthrow it completely. We didn't get all the way there on January sixth, but endeavor to get rid of it and replace it with this right here, will replace it with this.
Speaker 5: Amen.
Speaker 2: Now I should note, folks, when he says this right here, he's holding up a cross necklace on a change. Jack's not a subtle man, but he does speak for a frighteningly large and influential block of Republicans. Both of these guys are end results of eighty years of conspiracy theories and hate speech funded by generations of wealthy businessmen and their fail sons, and at this point fail grandsons. The mainstream media and most voters in this country did their best to ignore these guys for far too long. Now they're pounding on the doors to the halls of power, mouths watering, Dick's hard guns loaded, and people are freaking out. Biden's poor debate performance and the minor civil war within the Democratic Party over whether he should remain the candidate has zeroed a magnifying glass on these people now. Obviously, Jack and his fellow fascists have been poking on the fringes of the American right four years. There nothing they're saying is new, but Trump's likely victory in the Supreme Court's recent ruling on executive immunity have led a lot of people to conclude that Project twenty twenty five is Trump's plan to execute as soon as he takes office. This is something guys like Pasobac and Roberts want you to believe because they want you terrified, hiding, shrieking away from confrontation. Like all fascists, they have an instinctive understanding that if they can just convince you that the fight is already lost, they win. This is why Jack has spent the last two weeks since the debate quote tweeting every left wing media person he can find and saying six months to insinuate they'll be dead or in camps after Trump's inevitable victory. He wants you to panic. Jack is a veteran, and while he was not a great soldier, he is familiar with some very basic concepts of military strategy. One of them that I bring up often because I think it illustrates something important is the ODE loop. This is the process by which people make decisions and act in combat situations, and it stands for the different stages of this process are observe, orient, decide, act. If you can disrupt any part of the ODA loop, you can stop an opponent from taking effective action, from deciding, or from carrying out their actions. Jack and his peers want you to panic. They want you to make plans to leave the country, to go to ground, to hide all evidence of your political sympathies. Ideally, and I don't make this allegation likely, he wants you to commit suicide. He wants you to feel hopeless. He wants you to believe that nothing matters any longer, because what matters most to him is that you and people like you are out of the picture. You know, either dead or so scared that you are disrupted from acting in any concerted way against him and his friends. Now, my job, as a semi professional Cassandra, and as a guy who reports in the far right, is to tell you this. A Trump dictatorship is not inevitable. These fucks are weaker than they look, and we will talk about all that after some ads. We're back now. I am not primarily an election guy, and my work has never focused on the horse race stuff. The polls are bad for Biden, and I have no interest in trying to delude anyone to thinking this's all some big nationwide polling error. The only thing I will say about the Democratic Party's actual electoral chances is to note gently that online discourse has somewhat inflated the polling fallout from the debate. Trump is now the odds on bet but if you average the swing state polls, he and Biden are generally within the margin of error pretty much everywhere. Now you're going to get a different analysis depending on which pole expert you trust. The new guys at five thirty eight still have it mostly as a coin flip, although one that slightly favors Trump. Nate Silver himself gives Biden under a thirty percent chance, which is terrible and also about where Trump was November of twenty sixteen, and we all do know how that election ended. People are often very bad at understanding probabilities, but saying he's got a twenty nine percent chance of winning doesn't mean it's impossible for him to win. Right. The situation is serious, but the future is not written, and you should remember that, for good and for ill, the final results of this whole thing will come down probably to one hundred thousand voters or so in five or six states. Now, it's also worth me saying this. Both of these candidates are old men, and statistically it would not be unheard of or weird if one of them was dead before the election. Joe Biden could still lose in a palace coup from the rest of his party and get replaced. Anything can happen, and in US politics it often does. Hey, everyone, Robert here. Two days after I wrote this, something happened. There was an assassination attempt against former President Trump. I am recording this a couple of hours after it happened. A lot is unclear at the moment than that somebody shot at him. It looks like he was wounded with from glass shrapnel when the teleprompter is hit. That Secret Service is currently claiming a shooter appears to have been outside the venue on a roof. Not much more I can say at this point. I will note again, there's a lot of catastrophizing going on, people saying like, oh, this means he's definitely going to win reelection. When Reagan got shot that Trump you know, rocketed him to a reelection victory. You know, that's possible, that could be what happens here. That's definitely a solid case to be made for that. That's what happened with Reagan, But that's not always what happens when there are assassination attempts against sitting or former presidents. On September twenty second, nineteen seventy five, Sarah Jane Moore, a member of the Manson family cult, attempted to assassinate President Ford with a thirty eight revolver. He did not win reelection. So you know, that's just as a note like sometimes what happens it's impossible to say what's going to happen with this, But if you're looking to past us history for president, you're still kind of in a situation where, well, really unclear what's going to go down. Now that's all the Horse Ray stuff I'm gonna subject you to. We are now going to move forward with the rest of this episode trying to answer this question what happens if Trump wins, and I'm going to give you some very good reasons not to freak the fuck out. The first has to do with Project twenty twenty five. In short, this Heritage Foundation document maps out a path to place the whole federal bureaucracy under President Trump's control, effectively ending separation of church and state, utilizing law enforcement to go after dissidents, making recreational sets illegal, and criminalizing daily life for millions of LGBT Americans. In short, it is a roadmap to Christian dictatorship. Now, I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't find this chilling, but let's be clear about what Project twenty twenty five is. It is a nine hundred page document written by a think tank that has lost a lot of its influence and access to power over the last ten years. The Heritage Foundation was once, as Molly Ball described in an article for The Atlantic, the intellectual backbone of the conservative movement. But during the Obama years, the tremendous influence of the Heritage Foundation started to get pruned back by establishment Republicans because it became clear that in a lot of ways these guys were dangerously out of step with voters and kind of hard to work with. The pullback actually began in twenty fourteen, when the Heritage Foundation was suddenly banned from the Republican's Study Committee Retreat over a conflict around a farm bill. Now, the think tank remained influential, but its decline accelerated after Trump took office. Some of this was the result of the fact that conservative tanks have seen a general decline in influence from the good old days, the height of their power. The Republican Party has won the popular vote in exactly one election this century, and as of twenty twenty two, we have seen them go through two disastrous midterm elections in a row and one disastrous, losing presidential election. An interesting piece of reporting on the Heritage Foundations decline from twenty twenty two by the Washington Posts Jeff Stein and Yagana Torbati. They quote one conservative on Capitol Hill as saying, people do not walk around in fear of the Heritage Foundation the way they did ten years ago. And the main reason why is because Trump and the people around him were gaining a lot more influence. Right These old think tankers just didn't hold the juice that they used to now. That article was published in response to a switch in leadership for the think tank, which is how Kevin Roberts wound up in the position he occupies, and why the Heritage Foundation pivoted from focusing on economic concerns to shit like stoking panic over the existence of trans people, critical race theory, all the culture war stuff that we have been bombarded with now for years. This is shit that fires up a chunk of the Republican base, but the last three election cycles have shown it's dog shit at getting regular Americans on board, because regular Americans look at this stuff and go while these people are fucking out of their minds. I think the near around Project twenty twenty five is potentially useful. It has the potential to line a lot of voters up, and crucially not for Joe Biden or for the Democrats, but against a Republican party that has almost entirely yielded to the fascists in its midst But I also see a lot of people describing Project twenty twenty five as Trump's plan for when he takes office, and that's just not what it is. These people will note that a lot of former Trump people have worked for the Heritage Foundation, to which I say, he hates a lot of the people who worked with him the last administration around this is very common knowledge. Some people will also point out recently unearthed video of the director of Project twenty twenty five back in twenty twenty three telling a right wing podcaster that Trump was very bought in with Project twenty twenty five. And maybe that's true, but I don't feel like you should necessarily believe this guy isn't just tooting his own horn. Now. That kind of belief, though, does merge with statements you'll see from prominent p aggressive media figures, people like Chris Hayes, who recently tweeted a big reason Project twenty twenty five is so salient is because the actual Trump campaign has essentially zero policy apparatus and the platform is just Trump social posts strung together. Now, I like Chris, and I agree that it is important to set the stakes here for voters and to talk about Project twenty twenty five because it's fucked up and we should do something about the fact that these people feel confident putting out open plans to in democracy and institute a Christian nationalist dictatorship. But what Chris says is not strictly accurate because Trump has a platform and it might have been influenced by Project twenty twenty five. I think it probably was. But his platform is called Agenda forty seven, and we have covered it on It could happen here our daily news program. This is something you should care about Trump. In his Agenda forty seven plans, Trump advocates for mass deportations of migrants, for an attack on the legal rights of the press, and the imprisonment of his political enemies. He threatens the use of special forces and air strikes against cartels on Mexico's sovereign soil. There's a lot of crazy shit in Agenda forty seven. This is very serious stuff, and it is crucially the stuff Donald Trump has promised to do if he gets elected. Now, a few days before I wrote this, the former president took to truth Social to officially disavow Project twenty twenty five. Now, do I think he's lying? Do I think he was aware of it? Do I think he cribbed some of it for Agenda forty seven. Yeah, he's Donald Trump. He lies all the fucking time. But I do think it's noteworthy that he feels a need to publicly and vociferously disavow Project twenty twenty five. And this is part of a general split between Trump and the faction of the party who want a strong man dictator type but who aren't Christian nationalists, and the chunk who are. This is a natural cleavage, and we can see further evidence of this in the fact that, thanks to Trump's intercession, for the first time in quite a while, the Republican Party platform does not call for a national ban on abortion. And if you watch Trump during the debate, you can tell he's uncomfortable taking the standard right wing light on this because Trump is not a conservative Christian and doesn't really give a shit about abortion. He also knows it's not a vote winner. You know, he can't entirely push back on the party on this, but he's clearly not motivated to do so. Now does this mean Trump wouldn't sign such a ban into law. Now, of course not. But it means he understands that while the Jack Posobics of the world have their use to him, he needs a lot of votes from people who rightly see those Republicans as scary if Trump does take power again. These natural cleavages will become more pronounced, and Trump will also have to wield power in a severely divided country that does not like him or his policies. One thing that nearly all recent polling has made clear is that Biden's historic unpopularity has not made Trump more popular. Poles generally show a ceiling of around forty two percent the country who like the guy, and that ceiling is remarkably stable. There is also evidence that the sudden media focus on Project twenty twenty five and the fact that Republicans are actively planning to in democracy has cut into Trump's support. Right before I finished this episode, on Thursday, July eleventh, IPSOS published a poll showing Trump down a point from their last poll taken after the debate, which put him in Biden close to a tie. Now, this still isn't great for Biden because they all writes this election should not be close. But I think a lot of people have made the mistake of conflating disgust for Biden with surging support for Trump, and that just is not what we're seeing. More evidence for this comes from a recent ABC Your Voice poll, which showed fifty percent of the country having an unfavorable opinion of Biden and fifty nine percent having an unfavorable opinion of Trump. Part of why so many of these outright fascists have gone mask off is that they see these numbers too. They know that this moment right now is their best shot, maybe ever, at taking this country, crushing their enemies and inflicting the pain that it is their only purpose in life to inflict. And they might win, They might get to do that. The Heritage Foundation is not at the heart of the Trump campaign, but any step closer to total power for these people should ring alarm bells in every heart and head in this country. Yet the severity of the situation does not change this absolutely crucial fact. The fascists snow the wind is no longer at their backs, and I'm going to talk about that when we come back from this ad break. Despite how confident the Trump campaign and guys like Jack Pisobac are talking right now about their chances of winning, of dominating the government, of taking control of America for generations, and purging the left, the reality is that their position is not nearly as stable as it seems. And part why I think a lot of folks buy into a lot of folks on the left in liberals buy into the claims that the right is making right now about their guaranteed victory, about their looming inevitable victory. Is that Americans tend to be pretty self centered when it comes to politics, and it is understandable that this nail bier of an election in Joe Biden's calamitist debate performance has people here feeling doomed and feeling like a new fascist world order is inevitable. If you feel that way, though, I urge you to look around the world. Look to India, where authoritarian near dictator Narindra Modi was just dealt a startling setback in the Indian general election. His party, the BJP, failed to win a majority for the first time since twenty fourteen. Now, this is not the end of Modi, but it is a shocking sign of where the wind is blowing and the backlash that has started to form against the far right worldwide. In the UK, the Labor Party just won a landslide election against the Conservatives, tapping it into more than a dozen years of conservative power. And in France, the snap election called by President Emmanuel Macron inspired the creation of a popular left wing front against the far right, which defeated the far right in another historic election. Among other things, this new left alliance has promised to recognize the state of Palestine and increased support for Ukrainian resistance to Russia's invasion. I could go on Turkey's all but dictator President Erduwan has been bleeding support for years now and recently suffered a massive setback in regional elections around the country. The opposition Republican People's Party took the five largest cities in the country in an upset vote, including the capital Istanbul, where Odouin's party had invested massive resources. Now, these upsets in India and Turkey are so worth discussing because both countries are years into their own version of the nightmare scenario that Donald Trump Season two represents. Right, they voted their fascists into power. These guys took control of the courts, imprisoned dissidents, harnessed civil violence for political gain. And yet even with all that, even with all the power available to a modern security state, their hold on power is slipping. Just as I read these words. For many years, neo Nazi activists sought to influence and build support within the Republican Party and talked about hiding their power level as they did so. Now, this is a term they cribbed from dragon ball Z, and it means, in essence, pretending not to be a crazy ass fascist in order to get enough support from the normies that you can act like a crazy ass fascist with the power of the state. Well, the masks are off now. Nobody is hiding their power level anymore. And I am not so arrogant as to claim that I know that their defeat is around the corner. But I will tell you one thing. This is a make or break moment for the sons of bitches. If they fail now, they will find themselves exposed in a country that knows precisely who and what they are. And this means we will have the opportunity to destroy them. Now how would we do that? Well, first, if I'm not going to give you a detailed, perfect roadmap for how you can participate in this and how we can easily destroy the fascists, and the next you know, five or six minutes of a podcast. But I do have some theories. I will elaborate on them more in subsequent episodes. And I want to emphasize right now that this is possible because the cultural power of the far right, which seems so mighty right now, actually does rest on a house of cards. The Republican Party today is funded primarily by a coalition of car dealers who donate more than any other profession because their job depends on being able to scam consumers, multi level marketing corporations, supplement sales, affiliate marketing, megachurches, and of course are old friends in the oil and gas industry. And there's a lot of ways to attack these different pillars of right wing power, these people who are actually funding their media operations, who are funding a lot of these more radical candidates, and who are lobbying for changes in laws that hurt you and help them. And again, I'm not going to be able to give a comprehensive list of how you go about dismantling all of this. It is a formidable task, but you could do a lot of damage to the power of the far right by regulating car sales and punishing dealers who scam consumers, which is close to one hundred percent of dealers. You can ban the sale of unregulated supplements marketed as medical treatments, a thing that should be illegal, but effectively as not. You can ban pyramid schemes and prosecute the criminals who have made fortunes off of them. These are counterattacks that will improve daily life for huge numbers of voters and do functional damage to the right's ability to move and maneuver. Now, I don't mean to suggest that the only way to move on any of those issues is just to vote right. Democrats have had decades to fight back against this shit, and they have failed by nearly every measure. But we have the potential of a general strike coming up in twenty twenty eight if the UAW has their way, and the catastrophic failure of the Democratic Party in this election has I think created some space for new kinds of o organizing. The last point I want to leave you with is one more piece of evidence that the juggernaut hurtling towards us is not so hail and hardy as it seems. In April of this year, The Atlantic published an article based on analytics of the most popular right wing news websites in the country. They wrote, this past February, readership of the ten largest conservative websites was down forty percent compared with the same month in twenty twenty. According to The Rtening, a newsletter that uses monthly data from Commscore, essentially the Nielsen ratings of the Internet, to track right wing media. Some of the bigger names in the field that have have been pummeled the hardest. The Daily Caller lost fifty seven percent of its audience, Drudge Report, the granddaddy of conservative aggregation, was down eighty one percent, and The Federalist, founded just over a decade ago, lost a staggering ninety one percent. Now, these numbers are startlingly consistent across right wing media, and they are vastly worse than what liberal and left leaning media has seen over the same time period. A number of ostensibly liberals sites like The Times have seen an increase in subscribers over the same period, and I can confirm to you that here at cool Zone we have more listeners and subscribers than we did in twenty twenty. Now, should you feel like there's nothing to worry about just because the right wing media is taking a fall, No, But what this should be evidence of is that, again, their support has always largely been built on their ability to generate huge amounts of money and essentially buy attention, you know, and that's largely where guys like Ben Shapiro have gotten their cultural power. And that's made Ben Shapiro a wealthy man, but it hasn't actually brought him a lot of people who give a shit what he has to say. The actual number of people paying attention to the scary motherfuckers that you see in these clips that spread in liberal and lefty social media is very small. And it's very small because these people are crazy assholes who most of the folks around you, who are basically decent people, because most people are decent, fucking hate what we have seen here. What we are seeing here is the shattering of an illusion, and the popularity of a lot of right wing media was only ever an illusion, popped up by an infusion of cash from billionaire fail suns desperate to hold on to their money. Most people don't like or trust these folks, and the arrogance and certainty of victory that the Trump campaign and the Sobics of the country have been showing now, well, it's caused them to expose themselves. There is precisely one thing you can always count on from fascists and it's that they're dogshit at estimating risk. Time and time again. They convince themselves that they cannot be stopped in pick fights that they wind up losing. And that is perhaps the most reliable thing that we can predict from their behavior, and maybe the most comforting thing I can tell you going forward now. I also just retyped and re recorded this ending in the wake of the assassination attempt against former President Trump, and I want to talk a little bit about that before we go out, because that is certainly potentially a game changer. You know, people saying this could shack the whole election are not wrong, but at this point far from a guarantee. As well, as I said earlier, there have been assassination attempts against sitting presidents and former presidents that have not moved the needle in an election either at least not in a really clear way in favor of the person the attempt was against. So we don't know how this is going to play. One thing I have seen in the immediate wake of this, within minutes of the attempt itself and video of it going up, is liberals, I think mainly liberals, but also some people on the left immediately being like, this is a Reichstag fire situation, this is staged, This is obviously a fake attempt. I don't see any evidence of that in the video that's out there. I do not believe this was faked. I do not need a conspiracy to believe that somebody would want to take a shot at former President Trump. The video does not show any clear weird signs that would make me suspect something odd was going on. One of the things that's come out it looks like the shooter was on a roof nearby, pretty clear evidence of that. At this point. There are some reports from people in the crowd who say that they pointed out the guy on the roof to police and were basically ignored. You know, the police didn't do anything. That also does not seem weird to me, and if it does to you. I want to explain something about these events because I've been to a number of events during presidential campaigns with the Secret Services doing security and other kind of large scale you know, events like this where there's a lot of different law enforcement agencies, and at all of them you will see snipers on the roof. It is not hard to find them. These guys. Some of them I assume are very well camouflaged. I'm not saying I know I've seen everyone that's around at one of these things, but you see a lot of them, right, and so do the cops. Right, It's just not abnormal, And there are always a ton of law enforcement agencies. You know, this was just another Trump rally, so relatively minor as events in you know, a presidential campaign go. But you still have state and local cops. You still have at least the Secret Service, probably more than just the Secret Service when it comes to federal agencies. So you know, conservatively, at minimum, probably at least a half dozen different law enforcement agencies covering this event, right, And there's definitely going to be some people there who know where all of the snipers are supposed to be, right, presumably within the Secret Service, But that is not the average cop on the ground. The average cop covering this event, especially walking around doing foot patrols, does not know where federal law enforcement has every single sniper set up, and they are like anyway, I started this episode talking about the normalcy bias, right, Well, that's not just a thing that you can trip you up when you are trying to predict the future months or years in advance. It is a thing that can trip you up predicting something a minute in advance. Right, you see, as a cop walking through this event, someone says, Hey, there's a guy up on the roof with a gun. Well, you've seen a half dozen guys on the roof with guns. You've been told there's a bunch of different Secret Service and DHS sniper teams up there. Maybe your agency has some guys up on the roof, you know, sharpshooters, not at all weird. You go, yeah, maybe you even see the guy And the pictures I've seen, looks like he was wearing CAMA. Looks like he was wearing the kind of combat gear that cops wear, but also that anyone can buy, because cops look like you know a lot of people who just buy this shit and do it recreationally, you know, go go shooting and training in the woods or whatever, like a lot of It's not hard to gain access to gear that at a glance would look enough like a cop. And my guess is that this guy counted on the normalcy bias. He figured my best shot at being able to get away with this is if I post up on a roof somewhere and assume that the cops that spot me immediately won't know right away what I am right. And that does seem to be what happened at this moment, And you know, I take that as a lot of things very unclear. This is going to again affect the election, but take it as a warning against falling for the normalcy bias, because just because something seems like it's not weird, like it's not a sign of a change of something very different about to go down, doesn't mean it isn't. Yeah, you can never trust your assumptions, and that goes both ways, with both ways with this, I am seeing a lot of understandable catastrophizing. This is a terrifying thing. I am someone who's about to head into the RNC not thrilled that this has happened. But that doesn't mean we know what the fallout is going to be. It doesn't mean we know what the reaction and the result is. I mean, for among other things, this is not necessarily fully optimistic. But I don't know how much this moves the needle, because I don't know how many people who can be convinced would be swayed by something like this for how many people this could change their opinion on the election, and how many people are going to believe that this was real and not. You know, I've even seen people claiming that, like, yeah, Trump bladed himself the way a wrestler would. Again, I think that's all nonsense. It's just really unclear how people are going to react, right, It's not worthless to look back to. You know, there's an attempt on Reagan to try and see and other assassination attempts and how they've affected elections. But all of that shit happened prior to the modern era of social media. All of that shit happened prior to everyone's brains getting broken by the internet. So I'm not going to tell you this is a good time. I'm not going to tell you things are chill. They the fuck aren't. But I am going to tell you the future is not written, and don't panic until next time. I'm Robert Evans and this is It Could Happen Here. We'll be back later this week with coverage of the Republican Convention. Welcome to It Could Happen Here, a podcast about things falling apart and nothing says, things falling apart better than as many Republicans as possible jammed into as small a place as possible, with half of the cops in the United States of America there as well. With me is Sophie Lichterman and Garrison Davis are on the ground hoarding team for the Republican Convention National.
Speaker 6: Wow, it's true.
Speaker 1: We're here.
Speaker 2: We are at the Republican National Convention, the day after former President Donald Trump was nearly struck down by an assassin's bullet. And uh, yeah, it's been a pretty fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The vibes are great. Vibes are great. Actually, that's kind of the thing we should start with. We, I mean, the president for a president was shot yesterday, and the shit online has been absolutely unhinged. And I was expecting. I was expecting a lot, but certainly a different vibe at the thing, which was I think basically the same vibe it would have had if the president hadn't been shot. People were by and large not acting different.
Speaker 7: Okay, so set the scene. All. We went to this red, white and Brew kickoff party.
Speaker 2: Shocking amount of free alcohol.
Speaker 7: Shocking amount of free alcohol. How many people do you think we're there? I don't know, thousands, That definitely thousands of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the not crazy crowded, but it was big.
Speaker 6: The flyers said they were estimating ten to fifty thousand people over the course of like five six hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds about right. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Trace Adkins performed and sang a song with the lyrics Garrison Well.
Speaker 6: This was actually a spoken word intro to.
Speaker 2: This was in the middle of the songs.
Speaker 7: Yes, We're we were.
Speaker 2: If you haven't heard, Trace is a country music star, and not a good one. I'm not sure if it was him or if it was Toby Keith that Christofferson said, did the country music what pante Hoose did to finger fucking. But that is the kind It's a famous line, Sophie. He's a terrible musician.
Speaker 1: He just died. Anyways.
Speaker 7: The line that was said was Garrison.
Speaker 6: Well, he had this little preamble about how he was getting really handsy with like with his nurse.
Speaker 2: He's sick recently. He has a nurse. She's taken great care of him and she hasn't gotten angry that he keeps touching her against her.
Speaker 6: Getting really handsy, and she would actually press charges if they weren't married, which is the punchline, ha.
Speaker 7: Ha ha ha is that is that and that was kind of the energy of the entire event.
Speaker 6: So just raping your wife not even a joke, just like just like a celebratory statement. As we are walking around a crowd of like, yeah, at least five.
Speaker 7: Thous we walk into this event and there are like balloon wavy noodle guys inflatable arm flame a US car dealerships.
Speaker 2: Never seen that many of them in one place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And then there's there's there's women on platforms.
Speaker 2: So there's a red carpet and all fifty state flags are lining it, and periodically in between the flags there are plints where there are what would we used to call booth babes, which is, if you would go to like E three would was the video game convention, there would be scantly clad women. Car conventions do the same thing. Cees used to do this too, women wearing very little who are there to like stand next to products or whatever. In this case, they were just mostly naked women.
Speaker 7: Dancing and waving at people. They came in and one of them winked at me, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I hope she had a fine night me too.
Speaker 6: We did not I hope she got paid more than we're getting paid.
Speaker 2: Almost no way, not fastly. Because I have asked a couple of different service industry people, including Uber drivers tonight, how are the tips, And everyone said, dog shit, Yeah, nobody's been happy with the tips.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And it took us quite a while to actually get to this place because of all the different security checkpoints and roadblocks and just the absolute chaotic, unhinged amount of out of town cops.
Speaker 2: And this is not just the R and C. If you've never been to a political convention, you will be in whatever city this year. It's the RNC is in Milwaukee, and the DNC is going to beat Chicago. But whatever city it's in, you will run into LAPD cops, Dallas cops, like every cops from every part of the country, in addition to secret Service, FBI, homeland security investigations, like all, like, all of the kinds of cops are here.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 6: The most interesting kind of cop that I've seen a great a great number of is US Capitol police cops.
Speaker 2: A lot of Capitol police.
Speaker 6: Here, which is just a little bit funny considering what happened like uh, just about four years ago.
Speaker 2: This crowd assaulted Capitol Police Office.
Speaker 6: It's kind of an odd dynamic because you have like these Capitol police here, you know, priding security essentially and you know, protecting attendees to some degree. Well, there's you know, a decent chance that many of them were just engaged in combat with many of these same people where there was casualties on both sides, just which is just a kind of an odd dynamic that you don't really see very often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, again, it's the vibes have still been pretty much chill for an event like this. It has not been heightened in terms of like levels of anger. We did see as soon as we arrived at the airport, literally the second we got to baggage, there was a guy wearing a shirt with the picture of Trump with a bloody ear right after he was shot on it. He clearly made it last night himself.
Speaker 7: Yep, and it said the iron don.
Speaker 2: The iron down. But that was kind of it in terms of maybe, you know, it's going to take a little longer for there to be more shooting merch out there, but I don't. But more than that, I just didn't hear a lot of like we sat down, we got some food and some drinks. When we were at this big party, we sat down with these two ladies who were delegates from Texas, older women. One was clearly in her eighties, one looked like she was more in her sixties. Talked with them for quite a while, and they were very far right, very strong views on religious conservatism, very anti trans the older lady that I talked to. None of them said a single word about Trump getting shot. It absolutely did not come up, which I was kind of surprised about it.
Speaker 6: And I got here a little bit earlier than Robert and Sophie, and I was hanging out with some of the delegates from Idaho and North Dakota, and similarly, no one was talking about that. Yeah, it was, it was just not mentioned.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 6: It was on Fox News in the background. Yeah, you could see on the TV every building. Yeah, it's constantly playing. But nobody in person seems to be thinking about it or like discussing it as like it's like a thing. And possibly it's just because they've assumed that Trump is just always under this kind of attack, right, it's like the most attacked man, right, Like this isn't even like a big deal for them. This is just like realizing what they've already built up in their head. Right, So I think that that could maybe just be a factor. This isn't like as impactful for them because like you know, of course, like he's he's he's obviously being treated so unfairly.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of aim in that. The only other thing I could think of maybe would be that just it hasn't sunk in yet because it's so big and so recent and everyone coming to this probably like us, was just crazy busy packing and like getting their lives in order for this. Sure, but I think you're probably onto something with that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's not a small thing. I mean the people that we talked to, one of them was a delegate for the state of Texas, and they said they had to travel all the way. They got their hotels in Madison. Oh, so they have to commute back and forth from Madison to Milwaukee to come to this event.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that is that is a long time. Yeah, speaking of ugh, you know what doesn't make me go ugh?
Speaker 7: These products and services.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are sponsored first off by Woodman's, the grocery store that won't sell you a hard liquor. Past midnight Woodman's. Everyone lied to you about Wisconsin being proper alcoholics.
Speaker 7: And we're back. And I have to say that the today, the scariest part of our day was going to this Woodman's grocery store, which is opened twenty four hours, seven days a week.
Speaker 6: It was not walking into a crowd of ten thousand Republicans. It was, in fact, walking into Woodman's at midnight was astronomically more frightening on like existential levels.
Speaker 2: It's like one of these like massive, massive, like Walmart style, but like really big Walmart style stores. They had a whole isle of Maraschino.
Speaker 6: Cherries, a Marashido cherry asle.
Speaker 2: There were a shocking number.
Speaker 7: There was a fried onion aisles.
Speaker 2: There were a shocking number of like four to seven year old children leaving the stores, walking freely in and out. It was leaving this just so going somewhere, but it was that there was.
Speaker 6: There was twenty five numerical aisles, plus a full like alphabetical aisle.
Speaker 7: There were so many aisles they had to switch.
Speaker 6: From numbers would not sell us beers, and they wouldn't have said credit cards either. Fascinating stuff.
Speaker 2: Anyways, you Wisconsinites think you people are alcohol I have gone there's there's nowhere that won't sell me liquor in fucking Los Angeles. You know that's a drinking city. God damn it, God damn it.
Speaker 1: Garrison.
Speaker 6: What else, Well, there was also a security guy roaming inside woman's do you know where? There was also security oh, everywhere else, literally the entire city of Milwaukee right.
Speaker 7: Now, on roofs, in the street, on bikes, on boats.
Speaker 2: We knew. But well, I honestly, this is not abnormal.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 2: I did not notice anything that I didn't recall from previous conventions. It did not seem I think it just might be because there's so many there can't be more cops, Like they could not have had more cops. I'm sure people are more alert. I'm sure, particularly the rooftops sniper teams are under the gun right now. But I didn't notice anything more intense than usual.
Speaker 6: Well, and we were talking with some other people from out of town who we were just getting rides with, and like the amount of the amount of barricades and blockades that have been put up over the course of a Sunday, like.
Speaker 7: It changes constantly.
Speaker 6: It's constantly changing which roads are blockaded. Like like earlier today people could commute downtown.
Speaker 2: That might be a little different, fairly easier.
Speaker 6: And progressively throughout the day that became much much harder, to the point where now downtown is almost like you just you just can't drive like that. Like most of downtown is just literally blocked off by the type of fence that was developed in Portland back in twenty twenty, and that is covering almost all of Milwaukee's downtown right now.
Speaker 2: The fence is familiar from previous conventions. I don't remember the moving blockades of streets that that actually might be. If it's not maybe if it happened the last convention, I didn't recall it.
Speaker 1: Were there any.
Speaker 7: At this party? Were there any booths or things that you saw that surprised your well.
Speaker 2: There was this fifteen. There sure was Daniel Defence at the US Concealed Carry Association.
Speaker 6: A little bit of poor taste, one might say.
Speaker 2: You know what, in a way, because Daniel Defense is number one, is the company that made the air fifteen that the Evaldi shooter used. If you don't know guns, the Daniel Defense is most famous to people who aren't gun people. For it was the company that made the gun that the Uvaldi shooter used. In general, they are like a middle high end ar company. They're not like the very nicest on the market, but they're not cheap. They're expensive guns. They're pretty well made, and they have made direct kind of buy in and inroads with a lot of right wing culture war gun figures. Like they have outreached more to like fascist types than most because most big gun you go to, like SIGs Hour six hour is not going to sponsor a Nazi type adjacent person or a Christian nationalist gun type person because they they do big contracts, right, Like Daniel Defense has has gone out on a limb with some like real assholes.
Speaker 6: It's weird because they didn't used to be like that as well. Like even like five years ago, Daniel Defense was typically like one of the more apolitical, not a political but like very like less partisan gun companies. I remember when we were first talking about about like different gun brands back in like twenty twenty, it was definitely it was definitely different, and they made some small shifts in the past few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it may just have been that just everything was a little bit less politicized than in that space. I don't I don't know if I don't know enough about the company in the back end, but I'm not surprised that they were sponsoring. And you know, the thing they were sponsoring was the US Concealed Carry Association booth, which offers like insurance for people who have concealed handgun licenses and the like. But they were doing a free AR fifteen giveaway, which is definitely some would say in bad taste after what happened to the President. To be honest, no one would have thought about it at all. I kind of think it's like you are the people that you are.
Speaker 6: No, you know, yeah, I don't think anyone thought twice about that note whatsoever.
Speaker 2: And by God, I signed up to win the guns, so me too, I did not, Ah, Sophie, we could have had an extra attempt.
Speaker 7: Sorry, not sorry. Was there anything today that you know, surprised you, or like a feeling you had that was like unexpected or anything like that.
Speaker 8: Not.
Speaker 2: I had a long conversation with the older lady who was a delegate from Texas. We talked about because she she first kind of wanted to know is press. She asked like, basically, are you liars and in a nice old lady way, right.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, that's that's the We basically had that.
Speaker 6: We had the same conversation the table where where.
Speaker 2: I come from. You know, there's truth and there's lies, and like one one is one is real and one isn't. I was like, well, you know, I've been in a lot of situations where different people have different recollections of the same event, and like, I don't know because I was I wasn't there like who's telling the truth? So you just kind of try to gather as So we got onto the subject of religion, and her attitude was that people should be free to do whatever they want to do, more or less, but they should have to admit it's bad, which was interesting as a take. I hadn't really heard that one before, where she was like, well, you know, my husband likes to do stuff that's not godly, but he just says it's bad. And I don't think that gay people should be punished by the law, but I think that people should have to say that it's bad. And that was that was a peculiar stance to run into. You know. Her attitude on Trump was that he was a fundamentally honest and good man. She didn't think he was perfect. You know, she knows she's done some shady things because he's a businessman, right, but she thinks he's basically really good. It was interesting like hearing her kind of lay some things out that way her. We talked about trans issues, and she is fully convinced that little kids are getting mutilated all the time with transgender surgeries. But I asked, like, what if a twenty two year old or a twenty four year old wants to get on hormones and she or a gender you know, transition surgery, And she was like, well, adult should be able to do whatever they want, which was interesting. But yeah, you know, from a lady in her eighties or whatnot. Like, we had a relatively pleasant conversation even though she is clearly someone who thinks that Christianity should be the law of the land and the official religion of the state, and everybody should have to acknowledge that Christians are right. That was interesting. I'm always fascinated by actually like trying to drill down with people at these events what they believe in. How much of the rhetoric that like we see online is specifically transferred over to them, and when you get right down to it, they often believe in a lot of like the heart, like you know, believe that there are kids being mutilated or whatever. But also a lot of the rhetoric you get around, like well we need to make it legal to believe other things isn't as widely shared. Although I don't think that lady would actually fight against or have any real issue with people's people being criminalized for not being Christian, it's just clearly not her primary a focus either.
Speaker 7: Besides the mistrust of media and press. The conversation that Gary and I had with the other woman, she was giving her version of, you know, her opinion on Roby Wade, an abortion and things like that, and one of the things she said to us was when she found out that we lived in Portland at a time, she was like, what was like living in a city with liberals? And I think that's funny and yeah.
Speaker 6: But it's like a different species to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I played around with saying when people would ask where I'm from, either Texas or Portland, because both of those are technically accurate, And every time I said Portland, you got it like you got a look. Every single time you bring up Portland, you get a look. You can definitely tell that it's a shibboleth to these people. No, it is something.
Speaker 6: It's like it's the city of the enemy, like it is like the.
Speaker 2: Rep em Yeah, and that was really interesting. The other thing I noticed was just saying you were media, people's attitude changed a bit. But when we mentioned that we worked for the radio station that we worked for, I think most of them ever heard, because there's a lot of right wing talk radio that are technically co workers of ours that changed their attitudes back. And I think like radio, weirdly enough, it is register. It's actually it makes total sense.
Speaker 6: It's like a nostalgia thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not just said it's like radio is right wing media. Sure, the right owns, particularly talk radio. And I think that when we set when you say radio, when you say media, they start to think one thing. But when you say radio, that's not something that people have a negative attitude.
Speaker 6: Not tied like the coastal eleitism of like newspapers, TV channels. Yes, speaking of coastal elitism, here's these ads brought to you by companies probably based on one of the coasts, maybe not maybe a Midwest company.
Speaker 2: God, I hope not, because the Midwest again doesn't sell liquor at Woodsman's after after midnight.
Speaker 7: You're twenty for our grocery store. Let us have some alcoholic?
Speaker 2: What is wrong with you people?
Speaker 6: Okay, we are back.
Speaker 2: We're back. So at the end of this we are going to talk about the assassination attempt on former President Trump. More has happened since Monday, so we're going to catch you up on what we're thinking about that and kind of the conclusions that we've drawn. We wanted to talk a little bit about. One last thing are the convention, which is kind of what we're expecting for the coming days. Tomorrow, there's an AI panel there is there is is.
Speaker 6: It Women in AI, Women and Democracy?
Speaker 2: Oh my God?
Speaker 7: By Microsoft?
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Microsoft, So that's going to be great.
Speaker 6: There's there's a number of other interesting panels. Unfortunately, all of the Turning Point USA panels are closed to press.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real bummer.
Speaker 6: Another another event that close press is about two or three times every day there is a film screening of a new Ronald Reagan movie.
Speaker 2: Start Reagan the Movie. Reagan the Movie.
Speaker 6: Starring John Voyd, which we've received some free merch for we have these wonderful hats made in totally military fine, totally chill. That's going to be showing every single day multiple times. Also closed depressed, so that's unfortunate. There's rumors and talk that Trump might make an early appearance, that he might they might try to secure the nomination a little bit early, just so he gets extra secret service detailed because of weird laws.
Speaker 7: Interesting. Some of the speakers that are supposed to come are Nikky Haley, Jadie Vance, Ricky Rubio for me, Ricky and were so close. That's an NBA player from Spain. Marco Rubio suicide.
Speaker 2: I wish the Ricky Rubio from Spain was the vice president Spain's coming.
Speaker 1: He's so sorry.
Speaker 2: I guess he doesn't know much about our laws. That said, neither is jd Vance putting.
Speaker 6: Ron's gonna make an appearance.
Speaker 7: Good old Pudding Ron interesting to me, but to neither of you had any name recognition. But Ember Rose is going to speak.
Speaker 2: I don't know that bro who used to I'm at the Republican Convention. I got to blend in.
Speaker 1: She used to.
Speaker 7: I don't know if she currently does, but she used to run a thing called slut walk in LA and dated Kanye West. Anyways, I guess it makes a little bit more sense when you add the Kanye West to it. But she's speaking.
Speaker 2: Used to date Kanye Ya if we were like nothing, nothing about what she's doing could surprise me now, and.
Speaker 7: Like all the Trump relatives are speaking besides Ivanka anyways, because she's not participating this time around for her kids.
Speaker 2: O good for her. Yeah, well that's good, although I don't know if she doesn't participate in enough, she might wind up on a golf course too.
Speaker 7: Wow. Dark Anyways, I'm just saying he did it speaking of that, speaking of death. Oh no, no, sorry, bad transition. Anyways, It's gonna be great. Guys, super super super optimistic about it.
Speaker 2: Everyone was worried about it. It's it's it's it's pretty chill. There were some protests, but the only protests were people.
Speaker 7: That were complaining that the that the that the GOP was not pro life enough.
Speaker 2: I talked about this when talking about kind of like fracture points that are already starting to appear in the GOP. One of the big ones is Trump removed mandatory national abortion ban from the Republican platform, and there were a group of people protesting out in front of the RNCA very angry about that. Ye, most of the people who I heard a couple of people talking about them, seem to think they were idiots, which is interesting. Yeah, had that experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, only protests we've seen so far as people from as people farther farther to the right on certain issues than I. Guess it won't last tip, but I will share. That kind of segues into our next discussion involving firearm. So I had I had a little room mix up with the with the with another with some like North Dakota delegate because we have the same last name. So we got our room switched. So I was just sitting on my laptop working and this this guy you know, scans in it starts opening the door. It's like, oh, sorry, I didn't realize, you know, blah blah blah blah blah. We figured it out, we were both So then we got in the elevator, both to go down to the front desk, like get this sordid, And he remarks to me saying, well, I'm I'm sure glad you weren't pack. And when I when I busted in the hotel room, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, I guess, And it's just it was just a fascinating little glimpse that like that was the first thing that came into his mind. Is that if someone opens your hotel room door, is that you're gonna just You're just gonna You're just gonna start blasted. Like that was that was that was like, it's like immediate thought, is that the good thing, good thing you didn't have your gun on you, And like there was just such like an assumption of that's like of like that is like the correct thing to do, Yeah, is if you see your door you start to get open, you just start fireing away. And I found that to be a really really interesting moment. Speaking of firearms.
Speaker 2: Speaking of firearms, let's talk about that dude who shot the president and then got show barely and also killed that guy whose Twitter presence wasn't great. Yeah, So I want to talk about this shooting a little bit because we're we're now at the point where some stuff is started to settle out and we have it's at the point where I think it's very unlikely we are going to find much more on his social media. It would have been found by now, based on the way these things work, could be a manifesto somewhere, could be a treasure show of info somewhere, but I think something would have come out about it. So my guess is this is like the Vegas shooting. If you think back Stephen Paddock shooting where he killed like seventy something people at that country music show. Something that's going to be an enigma to people for a while. And it makes a lot of sense to me. I know it makes a lot of sense to you too, Garrison, and I kind of want to talk about why, because what we do know about them that is confirmed is some of their former classmates have talked depressed. Some of those classmates have said I don't recall the shooter being particularly political. There are some people who said, no, he was really conservative. You know, when we would have like class debates, he would sometimes be the only guy on like the right wing side of it, you know, arguing a point or whatever. But no one seemed to say that he was like weirdly right, Like he was conservative the way that like right wing kids in a school are, but not in a way that people are like, oh, that kid's a fucking.
Speaker 6: Not see and in a way that makes you just kind of like anti social, alienated because yeah.
Speaker 2: And he was not a very social kid. Some people say he was bullied. Most kids are. I was, you know, bullied, so I don't know that he was exceptionally bullied. He tried out once for the school rifle team, was not very good. Was so bad they didn't let him try out again, which is interesting.
Speaker 7: He wore hunting geared to class here.
Speaker 6: That's like it's like real tree camo. We're in the Midwest, Like that's not that's not uncommon.
Speaker 2: Not wildly weird.
Speaker 6: I guess he's in Pennsylvania, but still in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: It was nothing that really set anyone off. But it is also like all pretty conservative stuff. And just like the the gun YouTube channel who's wearing a Demolition Ranch shirt. Demolition Ranches probably the largest gun YouTube channel. They are effectively like a media company, like they're a small media empire, but they're also you know, they're definitely conservative. Some of the guys who work at that company you can tell associate with further right guys. But the video they go, Yeah, they their videos are relatively free of politics because they're big enough that that's bad for their business, right.
Speaker 6: Really they don't indulge in like partisan politics or like political opinion.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 2: It's not like there are guys like a there's a guy like named Lewis Botkin who does a lot of videos where he will be doing like literally assassination drills where he's basically planning to like murder people in their cars.
Speaker 6: Or people who you know, pepper their videos with like anti trans joke rights, which we're seeing.
Speaker 2: Lots more of. Is this was not that, And I'm not saying that. Some people on Twitter when I bring this up get like angry, being like you're trying to protect the concern. No, I don't care about that. I'm just saying, this isn't the shirt you wear if you want to signal that you're like far right. This is the shirt you wear if you're kind of into guns but maybe not very good with them, right, Like, it's just kind of yes, yes, it means about as much as a guy wearing a John Wick t shirt, right like that that is kind of the level of that that like of what that implies more or less. So I guess kind of where we're standing is when we think about why he did this and that's the question everybody's kind of asking. I don't get the feeling that this guy was motivated by what most people call politics. I think he was a guy who was certainly more on the conservative end of things. I don't get the hint that he thought Trump was a dictator he needed to stop. I don't get the hint he may have been an accelerationist and that he thought that this would push some sort of civil war to completion, and you know that that would go well for the right. That's not impossible, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.
Speaker 7: The most interesting that you said to me about it, Robert, and I think Gary, you also said the same thing as like he was local, this was local, it was convenient.
Speaker 2: I think the feeling I get is that if Biden had showed up, he would have taken a shot at Biden.
Speaker 6: Now, I think that the model that we can look at this is the same model people have used for a lot of school shootings. There is a degree of like apathetic, a degree of just like suicidal action, and a degree of wanting to make some kind of impact, wanting to do some kind of thing that gains a sense of like infamy and school shooting simply just don't do that anymore. Mass shootings don't really do that anymore.
Speaker 2: You could kill five or six people, ten people at a grocery store, it doesn't move the needle.
Speaker 6: I believe there's a decent chance based on kind of the very like unpolitical online presence this guy has had, including from his Discord account, there's just simply no evidence he was like he had any kind of real political motivation, and instead all of what we've heard about his behavior and his politics seemed just way more similar to the profiles of mass shooters. And this I think the Trump thing was was a convenient was a measure of convenience having this happened in your hometown. I think it possibly could be just as likely if Joe Biden was doing a role, he might have tried the same thing. I don't think this was any more politically targeted than that, because we simply don't have any evidence to suggest that, and the few evidence we do have matches up with a lot of the profiles of these older kind of like more like Columbine style mass shootings.
Speaker 2: This seems like a Columnbiner more than anything Columbine. There's been well over one hundred different mass shootings inspired by that mass shooting, and the thing overwhelmingly that occurs to me just with what we get oft this kid is. I would if I had to describe his politics as relates to the shooting. It's not he's a right winger or a left winger. His politics are he's a mass shooter, yes, right. This is a guy who worships the probably did to some extent, was obsessed with the aesthetics of mass shootings. This was a guy who wanted, yeah, to be famous, and he saw an opportunity to do it in a place.
Speaker 6: Where he wanted books was the only way.
Speaker 2: And he did. He'll be in him, you know, And I'm interested in what that means because we had a way. We've had a wave for years of people doing mass shootings in public places because it used to get you into the history books. Not anymore, not anymore. This kid is in the history books now, And I kind of wonder if this is going to lead to a shift in the people who have previously been shooting up schools and grocery stores going. Well, if I want to get noticed, shooting up a school won't do it. But if I take a shot at insert political candidate please see service. This is theoretical.
Speaker 6: I think this action reminds me of a great deal is like this feels more similar to like the John Lennon shooting. Honestly, like is that is I think a much closer model. And I think a lot of people who are viewing this as political violence have find this to be a very confusing incident, and I don't think it's useful to view it the way that we typically view political violence. I think it's much close. I think it's much more understandable as being a kin to something like Colin Buying, the Las Vegas shooting, the John Lennon shooting.
Speaker 2: And when you bring that up to people, it makes them angry because it's a shooting of Donald Trump, the most politicized man who maybe has ever lived in the most politicized election of anyone's lifetimes. And people get really angry when you suggest this might not have been political in the way that you under conceive of politics, because they want it to fit into even if it's a scary box, a box that makes sense, and there's something so alien at about a guy who this was just the best way for me to be to die and be remembered is so different.
Speaker 6: And this guy is younger than I am twenty. Trump, for him has been a forever character of politics.
Speaker 2: He was twelve.
Speaker 8: He's just.
Speaker 6: A political character. This is just someone who represents what politics is. Yeah, he's not like an abnormal, you know, fascist threat, the same way that people who've studied polics for a long time can view Trump historically being like, oh, this is like a worrying trend. This is just like what regular politics are to people younger than me.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 6: So I think that's also another interesting way to view it, when it's like this is just like this is just who you grew up with as being the guy.
Speaker 2: This is just the guy. And you know, we started this talking about why it seemed like, at least from the conversations we were having, the assassination attempt was such a mild topic or so such a non topic or the people we met. And I wonder if some of it is confusion about what it means.
Speaker 6: Because this isn't This clearly isn't like an antifa guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't. It was an antifa guy. It wasn't you know, a trans person with blue hair, right, It wasn't something that fit into their narrative, like.
Speaker 6: Probably a lot of people's like grandkids. Yeah, right, like because most people here are are considered considered old.
Speaker 2: Wearing a gun T shirt that probably a third of the people in this have or at least they watch the chan right.
Speaker 6: Isn't it is an interesting what to view It is that the mass shooter looks like a lot of these people's like grandkids. Yeah, that is that is an interesting aspect.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, anyway, folks, I hope this has been enlightening. This is just the start of our week. So we're in for five more days that I'm sure each will be a worse time than the last. We're all going to go to sleep now and never.
Speaker 7: Go to Woodmands ever again.
Speaker 2: No, but we're going to find a place to get liquor tomorrow. I promise you that. God, gentlemen and Garrisons, this is it could happen here.
Speaker 6: I'm Garrison Davis and joined with Robert Evans and Sophie Lichterman or Day one of the official RNC, the Republican National Convention. Robert, Sophie, how's your day?
Speaker 2: Ben? Well, I'm tired. It was a long day. It was very red.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of red.
Speaker 2: It was very loud. The drinks were very expensive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we got Sony free drinks yesterday and not today.
Speaker 2: No, not once you're in the convention center. I don't know. We were trapped in a room with a lot of people who had were either used car salesman or spiritually were used car salesman.
Speaker 6: Also a lot of people who want to kill me specifically.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll talk about this that more later. Yeah, today, Just structurally, what happened is, you know, it was a series of speeches. So you had a first off the big floor vote, right, so we got to watch all of the different states had their delegates and they have to form even though everyone knows what's happening, they have to like formally follow Robert's rules of order or whatever and confirm that Trump is the nominee. And then they announce and confirm the VP, who you all know by now was JD. Vance. We'll talk might as well talk a little bit about im now.
Speaker 3: JD.
Speaker 2: Vance is a guy who in the wake of Trump's initial victory. He's a dude who came from Appalachia sort of part time, went to an Ivy League school, did some time in the Marines and then made a bunch of money in business. And then when twenty sixteen happened and a lot of liberals were like, wow, how could Trump have won election? He capitalized by writing a book trying to explain the appalation experience, even though again he only kind of lived there part time and mostly. Yeah, had abandoned those people in that part, Like the book is about him abandoning that part of his life as soon as he possibly can. Not a great book by my opinion as someone who grew up in a really fucking poor town in the Deep South.
Speaker 7: But is he technically a millennial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the first millennial who might become vice president.
Speaker 7: That's a big part of why I think he was picked.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Yeah, that's a big part of why.
Speaker 7: So it was time for them to announce JD.
Speaker 2: Vance.
Speaker 7: They officially approved him. Delegates officially approved him, which happened very quickly, and he came out to Chance in Ohio, where he's from, was very stoked to have him there. Lots of chance of JD.
Speaker 1: JD.
Speaker 2: You're right, he had a hype man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he advanced his way out there with his wife and looked emotional, and yeah, all I know is that he really fucking hates lb gt q IA people and I really fucking ate him.
Speaker 2: Uh huh Yeah, I mean he said that he kind of like turned the corner finally on what side because he had said some anti Trump stuff once in the day, but he turned the corner. Who has this movie got really bad reviews? So if we wind up going into full fledged fascist dictatorship, we can blame Ron Howard for some of that. And to be honest, we always knew that was going to be the case. Yeah, valid, Yeah, after that, Yeah, Marjorie Taylor Green gave a speech, a couple other people, Tim Scott had a speech.
Speaker 7: So there was a break between sessions. We came back for the second session. The second session opens up with what I could only describe as I was like, Christopher Nolan, are you here? It was like a reception sounding music, Wow, traumatized, Thank you for that, traumatized video of like in a world, yeah, like showing crime and people losing money and women and babies crying.
Speaker 2: And then there's like literally bad clip art of money on fire, clip.
Speaker 7: Art of money on fire, and it's about it was like three to five minutes long, very long, because I took a video of it.
Speaker 6: It felt like a lea bad like action thriller trailer. Could have been partly AI. There was certainly some CGE animation towards the end because they were they had this camera that was sweeping through this fake city. It was all CG and it landed on this this this floodlight on top of a roof. It's broken, flickering, the floodlight gears are turning, the music is ramping up, and finally it lightens and we see Trump, the Trump signal shining in the cloudy sky, calling calling the hero the mass avenger as if it was the bat signal from.
Speaker 2: It was shameful and then and then people loved it. Yeah, I got a great reaction. There's also a video of all the scenes. If you if you've ever seen clips from rallies, you've probably seen little clips of Trump like fake dancing, doing doing that weird dancer his hand. He doesn't dance, but he's excited, but he's in a good mood, you know. The dance.
Speaker 7: It's what we would describe as a little wiggle. Anyways, it was a very long wiggle video.
Speaker 2: And people loved it. No, it looked like that.
Speaker 6: This is the type of video that liberals would post to make fun of Trump, and the fact that it was used as a hype video shows how useless that style of like political propertyanda is. You can't make fun of Trump for doing that little dance. That doesn't that doesn't do anything.
Speaker 2: You can't make There's no use in making fun of Trump. There is no value in satirizing him. There is no value in laughing at him. Like if it helps you personally, that's great, if you need that to get by, we all do it sometimes, but it is no it does no damage to them, like the not to shit on John Oliver. But the Trump stuff was a wild and spectacular failure. None of it accomplished anything, and everybody who ever thought that you could make fun of Trump and have any positive impact was wrong. And you should feel a little bad.
Speaker 6: I do because and because they used it as a hype video. They used it to stitch between their different musical acts, different segments, and oh boy, the music, so that the music was better than the music at the at the welcome party that we talked about in our last episode. But that bar is not very high. It's it's all it's it's all country music, right, it's country music cover bands.
Speaker 2: You It was not all country. No, there was a lot of like nineties stuff.
Speaker 6: There was a fucking it's played in the style of country.
Speaker 7: There was some bye Bye by your boat guy.
Speaker 2: There was at they had a they had a Fleetwood Mac song someone did you Can There.
Speaker 7: Was like essentially like the the run of the Evening and.
Speaker 6: Dad rock and country music. My apologies, it was dad rock and country music.
Speaker 7: You know what I have to tell you. We do not care enough to argue about this anyways. The music was fucking mid It was like the way because I of course, like a bunch of people have Texas today and been like how is it? And the only way that we can describe it is if a normal person went to their favorite concert and and had great seats, yeah, and uh you were very happy. Is the same exact Or you went to a game set of the NBA Finals. That's exactly the reaction that the people in the crowd were having.
Speaker 6: It's a mix of like a sports event, a concert, and like a mega church. If there was if there was some kind of concert that a whole bunch of boomers really enjoyed. That was the general vibe of the convention today, which.
Speaker 2: Is not all that different from how Trump Ralli's feel totally had. It had that vibe, and it felt more more like a concert than the twenty sixteen RNC did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there was also there was so much music in so few speeches. The speeches were only like two minutes long each, and there would be like extended, like ten twenty minute musical performances in between each speech. Like mostly it's just it's just people playing songs on stage. That was most of the R and C today.
Speaker 7: There was there was several different speeches that came after those strange videos, and we'll get into that. But first we're gonna go to an AD break, and when we come back, we're gonna play live us from the well.
Speaker 2: It was live when we recorded yea.
Speaker 7: As what I'm saying live us. We were alive back then and now questionable talking about what we were experiencing in the moment.
Speaker 6: But first, ads, Okay, we are back, and now we will tune in to our recording we made on the convention floor. Dunn, Okay, we are well recording live broadcasting a little bit later, but recording live on the ground at the Republican National Convention. We've had a very, a very busy morning. It's now mid afternoon. We're in between sessions. The first session just wrapped up, and we thought we were we should have record some of our immediate thoughts before our little debrief tonight. I guess let's start with Robert Evans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, first off, my main overwhelming kind of takeaway is that the tone and tempo of this is a lot milder than I expected. And I think it's because the overwhelming majority of people here are extremely conservative, the most dedicated and active members of the party. But it's not like the Proud Boy Crew over definitely some of those people here.
Speaker 6: But these are electoralists.
Speaker 2: These are electoralists. Most of them are a lot older, you know. I would say the average age is somewhere between the late forties to the sixties of like people you encounter here, and it is interesting to me that I have not, you know, as soon as we, like we said yesterday, as soon as we landed, we saw a guy with a trump after he got shot, sticking his fist in the airshirt. I haven't seen a ton of that on the ground here, since I've not seen a ton of it, nor have I seen a ton of direct references to it.
Speaker 7: I guess the sophie here, I think that. Guess. The main reference that I've seen is when they did the delegate official photo.
Speaker 2: That would be the big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: They all turned around and raised their fist in the way that Donald Trump did after the attempted assassination, which was fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, especially given the lack of otherwise direct emphasis on what happened. And maybe that's coming up. I kind of do the way I'm interpreting it now is because the thing that just dropped a few minutes ago is the FBI got into the shooter's phone. So far, preliminary findings, nothing in there that makes it clear why he did it. So I kind of think they may just be sort of confused as to why one of their own seemingly carried out the shooting. Not really clear what the rhetoric on the shooters should be, but very clear on how they should respond to the Trump photo, Which is the primary takeaway from that is the photo is the pose? Is him cementing his image as this indestructible you know, man who's constantly under attack, right, and so it makes sense to me that they've adopted that hand sign, and I expect we'll see more of it. And boy, howdy, does it just look exactly like that the hand sign from the far right that everyone's familiar with.
Speaker 6: So as we were kind of in between speakers, they had this little band playing and we happened to be sitting next to one of one of the younger people that I've seen attending the convention, but like still still like an adult, like a very young adult, may maybe twenty one, maybe twenty at most.
Speaker 2: He couldn't have been older than twenty one because he said this is his first election. He'll be able to vote in yeesh presidential election.
Speaker 6: So probably a little bit younger than me. It's interesting because yesterday we talked with some, you know, very old people, and today we talk to with some very young people to get and it's it is a it is an interesting contrast. So, yeah, this young conservative from from California but now lives in South Dakota and I don't know. We were asking him about like what what focus he has in politics. He seemed really concerned about the economy. That was that was kind of his main his main issue.
Speaker 2: Almost the only thing he wanted to talk about was the economy. He was one thing, I'll say, very good natured, like not in the I am doing a pr thing, I am trying to put on an image, but just in the not at all aggressive, did not react kind of negatively to the fact that we were media, which you get a lot of that at events like these. He expressed that the only places he gets his news is Fox and News Nation on TV. He is not on social media, which I found interesting and statistics suggest obviously that's not the norm, but it is a growing number of gen Z and Jen Alpha kids who avoid a lot of the internet.
Speaker 6: Well, and especially among conservatives. I mean there is a lot of young conservatives who do get their news on TikTok, who do get their news. Podcasts are one of the biggest, biggest ways that young people to the right get their news. Obviously, like the Daily Wire is very dominant in the podcasting scene. But no, I found that very interesting, and I assume that's probably like, you know, influenced by his family. You know, whatever is on whatever is on the family TV.
Speaker 2: His his uncle is about to be the mayor of Huntington Beach, California, and is the sheriff. Huntington Beach is the most conservative city in California, probably a pretty wide margin.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, he expressed a lot of frustration that we were we were giving lots of money to Ukraine, that he felt that Zelensky was suspending on him self instead of on the military. And yeah, I mean he seemed like a good old Christian boy. He was very, very into the praying section of the night. I asked him at ed ed at some point when when JD. Vance was coming out on stage to be announcedly the official vice president, like if he thinks that they're gonna win this year? Like do you think that the Republicans are gonna win? And he said yes, if it's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the same That was the first thing I asked him, And that was the same answer he gave me. And you know, speaking of Vance, because Vance is my first thought and a lot of people's first thought. And I think this is probably the accurate thing to say about Vance. He does not provide a lot to Trump, right, He's not a guy who won by a wide margin. I'm not even confident he on his own does anything to deliver his state Ohio. But what this kid brought up and what I suspect Trump season him, because when I asked, what do you think about JD. Vance, he repeatedly said, I think he's loyal. I think he really likes Trump. I think he's loyal. And I did bring up the fact that Vance has said bad things about Trump in the past, and then he went on this thing where he was like, I think that DeSantis and Trump really like each other. It's all politics. And I wanted to say, how deranged, but then he was like, you know, it's like Kamala and Joe. She was really I mean to him during the debate and now she's his vice president. I was like, well, that's actually a pretty reasonable way to look at the situation. I don't know that I think it's actually accurate, but I see the logical through line there, and I was kind of, you know, I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 7: I thought it was interesting when they were bringing out JD. Vance and he was dancing vamping. I'm going to call it dancing vancing advancing that. You know, they were quick to call out that he he was a marine, quick to call him a patriot, quick to call him a family man, and I think that's what he brings to the table. He brings those three things as well as his age, and I think that's that's what the GOP is focusing on. Yeah, I mean, other than that, there was a really weird prayer thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was after Vance came up. They did the benediction.
Speaker 7: Yeah. It was.
Speaker 6: What I could only express is a little bit like spiritually disturbing. All of like the led screens behind behind, like the speakers all flashed like very like Facebook esque like images of like you know, the Bible of like families praying.
Speaker 2: Like kids, like glowing like glowing.
Speaker 6: Like like the heavenly glowing light, like the the the whole environment change from like you know, it's usually very like sports debate, you know, red versus Blue. It's you know, it's it's very traditional like Americana. And it was a very it was a very intense shift to like to like this to this like a like strong like Facebook Christianity almost. That's that's the best way I can I can describe it with words. And I mean, you know, it was a typical Christian dominionist moment where you have you know, the the one of the largest of two political parties, just fully, fully embracing the UH and fully you know, putting out that you know, this is this is a this is a real religious party. Almost more than anything else. The religion is so important to the ceremony, and specifically not just any religions of course, just Christianity. And I don't know, they spent like almost like the last half of the prayer talking about Israel and you know, specifically saying the children of Abraham and the Holy City of Jerusalem and you know, all all of that kind of language prayer for the hostages, talking about how the hostages are being kept against their will. But you know, all of the language reminds me a lot of like my childhood and the rhetoric around Israel as this place to secure so that so that you know, the prophecies can come true for Jesus' second coming, and like that that is that is the entire the entire bit.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to recall if there was a big benediction at the end after the twenty sixteen RNC when Pennce was nominated, and I'm sure there was, but for whatever reason, it doesn't stick out in my mind the way this one did.
Speaker 6: Now, this will certainly stick stick out in my mind. Like everyone knows Republicans are, you know, the more Christian party, but just the year like a consensus about it here, just like everybody is, like even if they aren't themselves Christian, most people are, but like everyone's in on this thing happening. It was. It was just a it was just an interesting moment contrasted to the overall, you know, like a concert kind of sports vibe that the rest of the convention kind of carries.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, the only other thing that I pointed out. At one point, I went to get water and I came back and I mentioned right before we started to record, to both Gary and Robert, I was like, cops keep touching me and like putting their hand on my shoulder, and you know, is one cop just wanted to talk to me about my day and I was like trying to get water and going back into the convention. And then I mentioned that to garon Robert and they both said that they've been touched quite a lot too, And I just think that's interesting to note, And you know, I don't particularly like to be touched by strangers, especially.
Speaker 2: Mine has been on the shoulder by like a couple of different what I would describe them as like uncle coded guys, yes, who I don't know and was not talking to, just like walking past me and putting a hand on my shoulder, like like someone who is a family member would do casually, like a family event, you know, when you're on the way to do something else. But I've never met these people. We did not talk. That was odd, hasn't happened to me before. Maybe everyone's just in a very good mood because they're that sure they're going to win. Maybe we just ran into a lot of creepy uncle types unclear.
Speaker 6: It'll be interesting to contrast with the DNC, But no, it certainly has been a pattern. There's a lot more like just casual touching here. And yeah, I think that is most of our thoughts right now. I guess that. The last thing I guess I'll add is the young kid that we were talking to who was very excited about about this, about this whole deal. As Vance was coming out and you know, the crowd was going crazy and everything, he very quietly remarked that he was like gonna start crying because it was just like so like an impactful. I think it was. I think it was mostly to himself, like acknowledging that verbally and then said he wants to become a cop and that just you know, that is that is the entire base. And then he was then immediately went into a very a very intense prayer posture during the prayer, and that's just a good portion of the country.
Speaker 2: I guess, yep, yep, I uh, yeah. It was interesting. We were talking about Ukraine for a while because his his stance on it was he's fine with them getting weapons, but he's sure they're getting a lot of money that Zelensky is doing something shady with. And generally it felt like Zelensky wasn't fighting, which I thought was interesting. It does, it is kind of It makes sense to me if you've skimmed the way the right reports on Ukraine a lot, that would be his attitude. But he also said he wasn't supportive of yielding to Putin on any of Putin's demands. And then when I talked about because I chatted with him about some of my experiences in Ukraine, and when he found out that I had done more reporting, his first question was, have you ever been to Israel. Yeah, that was interesting. Yeah, interesting. Just immediately asked that. Oh, one other note, we run into a fan of the show who was working who was wearing a USS Liberty hat. The USS Liberty was like a US Navy ship that was struck by Israel, and it's, you know, under very shady circumstances, and it's kind of like one of the better ways you could be publicly critical of the Israeli military, at least at the RNC, without most people knowing what you're doing. Yeah, I thought that was funny.
Speaker 6: The very last thing I'll say is that right as we exited the first session, we ran into friend of the podk Ramaswami, who was who was a little shorter than I expected. A tall man, not a tall man. And I did ask the kid that we were sitting next to. You know, I'm curious about his thoughts on the future of the party, and I asked him specifically about the VEK, and he said he likes for VEK because Vivec is a businessman, just like Trump, and he wants someone to run the country like a business.
Speaker 2: I should also note that the Vek was followed by a swarm of like I'm guessing his entourage. All of the nearly all of them were very young men who I would describe as nick Fuintes coded. Yes, like like they really had that physiognomy to them.
Speaker 6: Groper types.
Speaker 2: Yeah, groper types, which JD Vance. It's one of the things coming out right now is that he's in a group chat with a bunch of sixteen year old groper So I am excited for some of those, more of those chats to come out, all right.
Speaker 6: Well, back to future us talking about the rest of the Republican National Convention. Day one.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sure was great. We had such a fun time. You know what else is fun? Here's some more ads. We're back to conclude. We got a couple of things to talk about. One of them is, you know, obviously we're at a convention. We don't have a car, we're taking ubers everywhere, we're eating at restaurants.
Speaker 6: And this has taken over almost all of the central area of Milwaukee, and.
Speaker 2: There were because of a lot of fuck ups. For one thing, a lot of places that in downtown were supposed to be booked are not booked. Businesses are not getting the kind of business they had expected to get during this because of some of those fuck ups. Yeah, and kind of most interesting to us so coming into this. One of the things the Republicans even put at billboards in Milwaukee over this, and this is a big thing that Trump is campaigning on to try to get service worker type people to vote for him, is no tax on tips. And to make a long story short, it works out to be much worse for service workers. Kind of the compromise here is that they can continue to pay far below minimum wage and there will be no attempts to raise that at all. And of course the kind of people who vote for Republicans don't tip by and.
Speaker 6: Large because they hate service workers.
Speaker 2: We have been talking to every Uber driver at all of the waiters waitresses that we've had, and pretty overwhelmingly nearly one hundred percent of them say like, yeah, we're just not getting.
Speaker 6: No one's tipping, the extreme negative views just because of like the politics, right, just.
Speaker 2: Because about more than half of them don't really.
Speaker 6: Care, absolutely not, They're just doing business and like they're just they're these these are just bad patrons. These are simply people that are they're not nice to be around. Interact like these types of events like the RNC the d and see these are like cities campaign for this under the notion that this will like you know, boost local business, right, We'll bring a whulench of people from out of town. People will get a lot of money to all these local businesses. And because of how the security set up this year in the in Milwaukee, so many businesses just can get no business because they're completely inside this like fence perimeter and UH and the rest are are not are not seeing very good business from what from from what it sounds like, and even even like hotels downtown are large largely vacant because of weird, weird scheduling area.
Speaker 7: We we went to dinner earlier tonight with some friends and we asked one of the restaurant workers, like how how it was going, And obviously she said the same thing that we've heard so many times, which is not great, not good, not making a lot of tips. But what was interesting is she said, you know, and they really tried to throw in our faces that this was going to be a good thing for all of us and we were all going to make a bunch of money, and it's happening. It's just not happening.
Speaker 2: And chatted to Timothy Faust, who was a writer, great writer, great guy, and a local here. We had dinner with him, and he pointed out that Milwaukee has been and was on the verge of bankruptcy still having a lot of problems with that, and a big part of why they took the RNC was because Republicans in the state legislature that was basically the bargaining point, so that they would allow a sales tax, which was kind of necessary in order to There's more to it than that, but a big part of like how the negotiations broke down was the Republicans wanted this in order to make it possible for the city of Milwaukee to not collapse because it was on the verge of bankruptcy. And hearing that made a lot of sense, made a lot of things click into place, because it does. Everyone one we have talked to who is a local and who is working in any job that interfaces with the convention and convention goers talks like they've been scammed.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and just one more thing before we get into the rest of you know, what we experienced speech wise and other is the difference in security today versus the outdoor. But we went to yesterday for the welcome party. Very surprising, very surprising. So just the one to one example I'll give you listeners is yesterday they took every single item out of my bag that I had after putting through a scanner and unzipped everything. Today they zipped it up because they didn't want anything to fall out and didn't open it, didn't touch a single thing, went through a scanner. I was through security in like four seconds.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, it was. It was super weird, way more lax getting into the actual convention center than it was to get into the outdoor welcome party, which is just a It came off as a little little surprising to us.
Speaker 7: They they had. They made such a big deal about what you can and can't bring in and had specific measurements for like bags and stuff. But we saw people with some of the large, very large background, some bags that were bigger than me. And yeah, you know, that's just interesting to note.
Speaker 6: One less thing on the service worker thing. On our ride home from the RNC or back to the hotel, we sat a new in an uber with a very nice man who I would describe as the average Wisconsin voter. Yeah, he had he had a teamsters shirt, and you know of a variety of like of both liberal and kind of conservative opinions. You know, it's I think he kind of leaned more liberal, but he certainly had, you know, of of a variety of opinions. And he was both expressing the same thing in regards to tips, but also a men's frustration at the way police were treating locals. The way police were treating local drivers. Just the sheer influx of of cops just to have have made have made functioning in this city just so challenging to any of these locals. And yeah, that was a very fascinating conversation that we might discuss that at a later time. Well, we will talk about now are Catholics those those little fiends. So after the very like evangelical Children of Abraham prayer that that we talked about in our in our archival audio, as soon as we came back for the second session, there was an opening prayer led by the Archbishop of Milwaukee, which is kind of interesting because a lot of the intendees here are very evangelical. These are not Catholics, And there you could definitely see there is you know, a little a little bit of groans amongst among some of these people. And I found it a very interesting move.
Speaker 2: To somebody who talked shit on the Catholics earlier. The l the old lady that we that or at least that I was talking to last night at the party, made a couple of comments about Catholics because she doesn't believe they really worship Jesus because pop Catholics. Yeah, and well it's not even the papstries because Catholics. This is a that born again have an issue with Catholicism is don't believe you have to accept Christ to go to heaven, Like if you do good things, Catholics think you can go to heaven. Sure, And that is deeply offensive to a sizable chunk of the Christian community in the United States. Yeah, so I found that very interesting.
Speaker 6: Wasn't really expecting to see an opening Catholic prayer that I want to talk to some more people tomorrow about. That is Chance's Catholic that that makes it.
Speaker 2: That's probably why is a Catholic convert just like the Red Scare girl. He is a Catholic convert millennial who has taken a bunch of money from Peter Teel.
Speaker 6: Many such cases. So one of the first people to speak after this archbishop was famed Republican figure Marjorie Taylor Green, who we could have a lot to say, but I think the first thing that I want to mention is that she feels more representative of most of the RNC attendees and anyone else who we've seen speak like she She has the same energy and vibe as most of the attendees like that. That is why they love her so much, because she is one of them, to the point where she she was like a Republican fan who just happened to get into office, and now she's this major figure. She was the ascot exactly.
Speaker 2: And was a lot more popular than dance. Oh yeah, in terms of floor reaction.
Speaker 6: No, she she is. She is beloved among this crowd. She she's she is them right. The audience members can see her, and they can they can see themselves in her. And she got the biggest reaction out of out of the crowd. Probably saved for Trump making a short appearance, but her speech had the biggest reaction. And we will we will get to that now. One one of the first things she said is you're talking about the assassination attempt and stuff is that Trump. She referred to him as the founding father of the America First Movement, which is a lot of interesting loaded language there.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of words there.
Speaker 6: Very extremely loaded language for the founding father of the America First Movement. She then spoke about the wonderful family man whose life was unfortunately cut short from getting shot in the attempted assassination attempt of Donald Trump, saying that that Corey embodied the America First spirit. But no, she she she had all of all of the typical lines that you would say about someone who was who was killed in an incident like this, And and then she talked about the thing that got the loudest applause out of anything else today, which is which is the whole gender ideology issue. She talked about how how President Biden turned Easter into transvisibility Day, which.
Speaker 7: Is factually true because.
Speaker 6: Easter changes holidays transvisibility days on the same day, you know, a bit, but Easter changes the actual day it's on. But that got a massive boo And there was people sitting next to us who were just shouting evil, just super loud shouting evil. And this is this is the most hyped up I've ever seen the crowd. You know, all the other mentions there were, there was a few other mentions about you know, men and women's sports, that kind of thing that got you know, the big biggest, the biggest booze and the biggest cheers, like respectively. You know, people saying there are only two genders. We're brave enough to say it. We're going to keep saying it. That hyped up the crowd just just more than anything else.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she said, be clear here there are only two genders, and the crowd went just nuts bananas.
Speaker 2: She right after that made a statement about needing to stop sending money to Ukraine, that Zelenski was going to embezzle or something about half the volume like not not a tiny.
Speaker 6: Compared to the rest of the cheering of a pretty loud.
Speaker 2: Reaction, like not a bad reaction, but it was clearly about half the volume with the anti transfer and.
Speaker 7: Mind you listeners she spoke for like what it was like three minutes top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be surprised if the whole speech typed out was more than about a page.
Speaker 6: No, it was wild and she had basically a bullet point list of like hate speech.
Speaker 2: If I I kind of want to go back through video of the I remember the speeches at the twenty sixteen RNC being longer, but that was a million years ago. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now she had the you know, the the usual comments about you know, how we have to stop the globalists, the wealthy and the powerful few, which is which is just an interesting thing to speak to an RNC crowd because it's one of the most powerful, the wealthy, powerful few. You are talking to them, and her the line that came right before this was talking about how how we have to stand up against the establishment who promise unity but promote division. And I'm like, this is this is this is the most We're all trying to find the guy who did this moment. Ever, right you're you're talking about how there's there's these these powerful establishment figures who talk about unity but actually just promote division, and like you were, you were talking about yourself and all the times that these like these like people who work in Washington start bashing like the establishment and stuff like you you are the establishment, that is you, that that is your job, but that those are very very common talking points and stuff like that. I'm sure many listeners are familiar with this, with this sort of like double speak and and yeah, that was her speech. Definitely the biggest reaction we saw the crowd have. Trump and his family made a very brief appearance, kind of kind of a surprise appearance, but to some people's surprise, he didn't He didn't actually give a speech. He instead, I think, took which was the smarter play, show up with a very large bandage on his ear and instead sit down and listen, just become part of the audience. It's an interesting movie. He didn't immediately like take over the convention. No, he's kind of playing this more like statesman role.
Speaker 7: He almost looked like he was tearing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he did.
Speaker 7: He was sitting in the crowd.
Speaker 2: Quiet, subdued, even Yep, he looked worried at point, worried, anxious, or somber. I wouldn't be I wouldn't be surprised if it was a natural reaction to being in your first crowd after being shot and nearly died.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the last time you were in a crowd.
Speaker 2: Like he is a person, right, That's just how people react oftentimes when that kind of thing happens.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know. He was sitting next to Tucker Carlson, JD. Vans, and Michael and and Mike Johnson with his kids sitting behind him.
Speaker 2: Look, when you have a near death experience, you know, when somebody somebody shoots at you and damn near hits, it crystallizes a lot. You know what's really important, and you also know what you don't want to waste your time with anymore. And that's that's why the Trump kids were in the back of that, the back of the crowd. He doesn't want them anywhere near him. Life is short.
Speaker 7: I just want to point out what they showed trumple the screed with with Mike Tucker and who is the fourth person, Jni Man's I've already forgot his face curiously goes nightmare blood rotation, and they are.
Speaker 6: Correct, and that that was day one of the convention.
Speaker 2: That way, I do want to get into one other thing because this again, we had a big don't panic episode a day or two before this. You'll have heard one episode in between those two and posting stuff today, posting comments on like how extreme the rhetoric is. I see people getting scared again. You should like, you should be very concerned if here is not an unreasonable reaction to seeing all this happen. But this is also something that I think will contextualize the scale of the actual number of people that we're talking about here. When we were sitting, we found a quiet place to record the middle bit that you heard. So we were in kind of an empty area, and I would say close to half of the or about right about half, maybe even a little more of the actual stadium was empty, and most of them were clustered in the area that had and so there were a lot of areas where there's just absolutely nobody. And several times, what was it, three or four times, Sophie, probably we had different people who were I either worked for the RNC or worked for the venue come by, but I'm guessing the RNC, just because of their general vibe.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and because the lens, Yeah, to try to get us too, because even the areas that were full had a lot of patches in them, they weren't all that full. So they wanted to get us to get up from the empty areas and move to fill in the areas that were going to be on camera so it looked like it was fuller, and they did that because it was not very full. Now, as someone it's not very full because this is a political convention. It is not open to the masses. I don't know that it would have filled up it was open to the masses, but there's an inherently limited guest list. But it did seem to be less people than I recall from the twenty sixteen RNC. And more to the point, everything that you see and everything we're talking about, and all of the extremity and the weirdness of these in a lot of cases freaks, assholes, creeps that we see. This is a couple of thousand of the most dedicated Republicans in the country. This is the elite of the party. These are the people who have a lot of the money, if not most of it, and a lot do a lot of the nuts and bolts of making the Republican Party run. These are not representative of most of the people who live around you, unless you live in a place that is real hardcore Trump country, in which case a lot of these folks are familiar. But they but they got a lot more money than your neighbors, I'll tell you that much. Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, And it is worth pointing out that they were trying to make an effort to move people around to make the seats look more full. Because also everything that we're also seeing is theater. There's all these rituals that they're doing to confirm confirm the nomination. It's like it's a very it's very ritualized, very theatrical experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: There is one point where Robert and Gear we're walking around and I was sitting in our intersection by myself, and I had three separate twenty something males come up to me to try to give me Trump signs, and uh, all three, in a very unsettling way, pointed out that I was sitting alone and it made me feel very unsafe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome to the Republican Party.
Speaker 6: So correct.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and as they pointed out earlier, definitely a lot of unwanted touching.
Speaker 6: But he you know, welcome to the Republican Party. And you know what it's touching.
Speaker 2: Unwanted touching is essentially part of the main party platform.
Speaker 7: It literally and it is only day one.
Speaker 6: It is day one, four, well, three more to go, and we will be covering it a night.
Speaker 7: We'll be back tomorrow with morey any final thoughts anyone.
Speaker 2: Nope, nope.
Speaker 6: Tip your service workers.
Speaker 1: And wash your hands.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to it could happen here a podcast recorded at the Republican National Convention, which I do not very much like. We're having a great time.
Speaker 6: Though, well not really. This is the worst day we've had so far.
Speaker 2: This is one of the worst days I've ever had. Yeah, we did get to talk with Rudy Giuliani, which was a highlight of the day. Hearing more about that later, but first let's go around. Let you know who's going to be talking on this episode. First off, we've got Garrison Davis hello, finally identified as she her by the Secret Service. There you go.
Speaker 6: Congrats, They're going woke.
Speaker 2: They're going woke. That's why it happened. That's what Rudy talked about, and I guess he was right. And then speaking of woke, de supervisor Sophie Lichterman.
Speaker 7: I've had a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll bet make fun of me. We are in the like the chunk of the there's like the main stadium where all of the very red and botox people give their speeches, and then there's this part where all of the different like media companies have booths set up. Iheart's got a booth. There a very large booth very large booth, and we are kind of above that right now because it's a relatively quiet place to record.
Speaker 7: For some visuals. Here we are sitting in this part of a arena.
Speaker 2: The Panther Arena, the Panther Arena.
Speaker 7: There's red carpet everywhere, and there are cubicle style booths for various publications.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I see O A N.
Speaker 6: We are sitting right above the iHeart to end the Daily Wire booth. They have a whole wall of Matt Walsh, a wall of Walls Walsh, if you will.
Speaker 2: Bright Bart's got a tiny little cue, very small.
Speaker 6: Frank's speech has a little booth, you know, a lot of a lot of local radio, you know.
Speaker 2: For there was that when we met Rudy earlier today, he was a the wvo in booth, which is a local radio station. They did not let him speak this year at the r n C. Did not really seem to want him to be here. That's too bad. He claimed to be happy that that was the case. Well, yeah, interesting guy. Took a little tumble today. Took a little tumble today, fell and then kept falling on the floor of the event. Classic Rudy. And when we went to lunch earlier and wound up in the same room as Ted Cruz briefly, who was also at that restaurant. A lady came up to us, a Republican alternate delegate, and said, are you a band? Are you musicians? You look like musicians?
Speaker 7: Solely based off of Robert having tattoos.
Speaker 2: I do think it was entirely based on the fact that I have to.
Speaker 6: We probably look cooler than anyone else here.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, I said, we that's the first time you've said that to me, Garrison, and it really you know what, I took a convention.
Speaker 6: I took a convention republics older than my grandparents.
Speaker 7: I will say that at this restaurant, the restaurant worker did give us all free shots of vodka because she said we had looked like we had had a week. And boy, howdy is she right.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she's been having one too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she was very nice. So Garon, Robert, you want to take me We weren't together for most of today. Do you want to take me through your day? And then I can tell you about.
Speaker 2: My really fun day.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll start by talking about our morning. So yesterday was a pro Palestine March that was Monday. From Monday, Fronce kind of build us a march on the RNC.
Speaker 6: It was a sizable demonstration, at least five hundred.
Speaker 2: At least five hundred I'm cluded to me the exact numbers, but not tiny March is a little bit of a misnumber. It was located in the park that's kind of closest to the RNC security area today. It was a very different vibe. There were counter protesters, but there were also like there was like a church group who was there with signs.
Speaker 6: It's like a Westboro Baptist church styles the street preacher group.
Speaker 2: They do not like Catholics.
Speaker 6: They don't like gay people or Catholics, or fornication or adultery, that sort of thing. You know, if you can picture the big signs that people carry around, it's.
Speaker 7: That sounds sounds fun. Guys.
Speaker 6: We saw an amazing T shirt today, Robert, do you do you have a do you have a recollection of the best T shirt that we saw today?
Speaker 2: Oh God, is that the prolapsed rectum tissure is atal sex equals prolapsed rectum? And then wow, god, it felt like a John quote. There was a book of the Bible that I know does not refer directly to prolapsed rectors romans romans Paul, So you know Paul was not talking about rectums.
Speaker 6: Well, but Paul is the most homophobic out of all the New Testament writers. But basically we talked to some of these types of people gathered at this little this little squares little park. There was maybe like one or two people protesting the RNC itself, just holding signs, you know, someone with a megaphone, But the rest of the people gathered where these were these street preacher types. And then we went over to this media section earlier this morning. That's where we talked to our good are now good friend, Rudy Giuliani.
Speaker 2: So again, if you're picturing this floor, it's like a bunch of large cubicles. So you've ever been to a trade show, it looks like a trade show, right, But each of the cubicles is a different radio station or internet media company. And Rudy was just sort of chilling at a local radio station booth with Laura Lumer When we first walked up Amazing vibes, she thanked God love and I will say Laura Lumor famous on the internet for looking very peculiar, one of the more normal looking people at the.
Speaker 6: RNC, which I don't think is a testament to how normal Laura Lumor looks. It's a testament to the types of people that we are seeing every day at the RNC that everyone kind of looks a little Lumor esque. Yeah, so she looks a little bit less bizarre in comparison to just everyone else we're seeing, who all has, you know, a curious amount of facial surgeries, Yeah going on that makes them just look just look a little different, just.
Speaker 2: A little different. We saw the Fox News had anchored today whose face was as smooth as a baby's ass.
Speaker 6: It looked like carved marble.
Speaker 2: It looked like carved marble and was clearly bloated with Bachelin toxin.
Speaker 7: Incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a beautiful man, Sophie, He was a beautiful man.
Speaker 7: I thank YOUSU is retinall well, he must.
Speaker 2: Use retinal And he had a chin as wide as like glory days. Bruce Campbell, very wide face.
Speaker 7: I bet he never forgot to wear sunscreen unlike you two.
Speaker 2: So yeah, kind of the last thing we did at the convention before coming back was. We had a little conversation with Rudy, primarily about Ukraine. His basic stance is that Ukraine is stealing all of the money that the government gives it. When I pointed out that that money was primarily coming in military subsidies and like military weapons, he said they were stealing the weapons and selling them. And I asked to who, and he said he didn't know, at which point his handler got him out of there, and we wound up walking over to the iHeart booth where one of our coworkers, Dan O'Donnell, who's a more conservative guy in the network, but who through a law enforcement contact, got the story that a man had just been shot outside of the RNC security zone, but by police who were in town for the RNC. It wound up that they are Columbus, Ohio police, So we rushed down there, split up with him pretty quickly because I think he was mostly interested in talking to the police scene, and we wound up right in the middle of you know, what is the poorest neighborhood in Milwaukee, the poorest zip code in the state, one of the highest rates of incarceration in the country. It is a deeply deprived area. The first guy we talked to. He was with Lighthouse Ministries I think was the name of the organization, which is essentially he was running like a Christian halfway house, and we saw another larger halfway house even closer to the shooting, Like there were two half way houses effectively right next to each other. That's the kind of neighborhood this was. And when we got there, police had just started setting up cordons. They had started it with about a block or two fenced off with police tapes, but were widening at every few minutes. They were adding new blocks, quickly expanding, and a large number of cops were on scene. There were horse cops on scene. We could not get close to about a block from the site of the shooting itself, but we were able to get into a park where there were a lot of local people who were very angry at what had happened. And one of the first things I encountered was a couple of guys, you know, one of whom was filming on his phone yelling at the police, a couple of whom were sitting in lawn chairs, and one of whom was speaking about like you know, who had clearly witnessed the shooting, saying, like, you know, they were just having an argument. If you'd let us the neighborhood handle it, we would have handled it. The most there would have been was a black guy. What the fuck is wrong with you guys. We talked to him. His name is Emmanual And I'm actually just gonna play a clip from that interview with the Manual.
Speaker 3: Right now, here's what all these on the bikes I want to let you see now.
Speaker 2: So they parked in the King.
Speaker 8: Center, abum, and they were just basically patrolling watching us, right.
Speaker 2: So the two guys have a little braw about the ball. That's about the fight. So they didn't really fight for Kobe's shopping Freeze shot him. Empty the clip. Every twelve officers on.
Speaker 8: The bike empty their clinton because you speak cockbi Anpty the Clintons. And then whenever done, they're turning guns on us and then now their person.
Speaker 2: Let's further further away, we're an issue.
Speaker 8: Because they don't want us to tell you guys what really happened when they could have tasted in the restident city in the jail. They shot him and they was going to shoot the other guy and way, so they turn the guns are about sixteen of us Robert. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, they were others why I didnt shoot because they realized their guns were empty, so they caught the backups. And that's why they have more backups and more backups and the backups, and that's why we.
Speaker 2: Are backing up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and is that the that's the plan now, is my guest?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if they're think were the r n C.
Speaker 10: The yep, tear gas and masks. Well, thank you, Emmanuel, nice to meet you. Yeah, yep, tear gas and masks and starting to feel like Portland again. And yeah, I would say that what a manual said is consistent. We talked to two other people who had witnessed the shooting, and then a couple other people who had been close by, and they all agreed with the gist of what Emmanuel had said.
Speaker 6: Well, Manuel told you something before he started recording there about how like they felt this was like a very very solvable problem. Yeah, for like the community, like this is just like an average fight that they could they could have ended themselves. Yeah, and you know, in the next hour these people would have been friends again. Yeah, And instead police from out of state showed up and just started shooting.
Speaker 2: And that is what the initial thing we heard through our you know, coworker who was talking to law enforcement was a man had had a knife or knives was brandishing them. Police told him to drop, he didn't and they had to shoot him. Locals on scenes said police did not tell him to drop anything, ran up and just started shooting. And as you heard from Manual, his experience at the event was that police then turned their guns on the crowd, and you know, he felt threatened deeply by this. For reasons that Abous and I will say that everyone we talked to in the neighborhood had broadly consistent stories. This was not a serious fight, This was not a thing that would have escalated to lethal violence in the normal course of human events. But a huge number of out of state cops rolled up to the altercation unnecessarily and drew their guns and started shooting.
Speaker 6: So there was a fairly nice homeless encampment. They had a wonderful community garden, really nice garden, just like a block away, and we figured, oh, this, this guy might might have been houseless, and we started to talk to more people who knew him, and yes, we found out we actually walked right past his tent on the way to the shooting. He had he had a tent by himself in this little alleyway. I guess, Robert, you talked more to that, to that guy that knew him.
Speaker 2: I talked to a guy who knew him who he said his nickname was Jehovah because he was a Jehovah's witness. The guy who I was speaking to was a Muslim and specifically stated to me, like, you know, I'm a Muslim, He's a Jehovah's witness. But we always got it was a really nice guy. He didn't deserve this, Like he wasn't a dude who generally caused problems. He was not a dangerous person. He was maybe a guy who was having a little bit of a heated moment with another dude. And again there happened to be a bunch of out of state cops who decided to make it everyone's problem. That was his attitude. And a couple of things were notewhere they I mean, we talked to a woman who was kind of dropping her daughter off at work who lived nearby. This is a lady who lived in a little bit nicer of a neighborhood. She wasn't quite there, an older black woman who was like, you know, the cops show up to do this, but there's no cops. Like if this had been any other time of the year, there would have been no cops in this neighborhood ever at all. Like they're never around when anybody wants them to be. But they show up to kill a guy because the RNC is in town. And that was very much the consistent response we got from everyone in the neighborhood. You know, we stayed there a while. Yeah, that's what happened. One of the things that I couldn't not notice is once we were down in the RNC, you know, earlier in the day, very cool, a lot of shade, tall buildings. When we were in that neighborhood near a fourteenth and Boulette.
Speaker 6: Right outside the Martin Luther King Junior Community Center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sun was beating down us. There was very little cover, it was very hot. The streets were notably poor repair. The buildings were in a lot poorer repair, but there was actually also evidence of like street life like here, the RNC is all of downtown Milwaukee has been sanitized, right.
Speaker 6: They swept encampment's close to the R and C perimeter and stuff. People have had to move around, and no one.
Speaker 2: You encounter lives here right not during the event. That's just the way that it goes. A lot of the local buildings are shut down. And one of the things that was interesting about this was the degree to which all of these people in the most deprived neighborhood Milwaukee had a really clear understanding of what had happened near and around them and knew each other. And we're talking. There were a couple of people we saw who were going around different chunks within a block or two of each other and clearly knew all of their neighbors, which was very different from kind of the vibe that we've gotten Downtown Milwaukee is as nice as it is, and I think we've all really enjoyed the city. One of the most segregated cities in the country, and that was very clear because I think there was one white person who was a resident of the neighborhood that we talked to, that woman who was next to the guy who knew Jehovah. And I guess that's most of what I have to say. Yeah, I mean, more and more place kept showing up.
Speaker 6: There was this basically like a riot squad with mace and gas masks showed up. You know, there was biite cops, mounted patrol cops. They just they started to flood this area. Eventually they slowly kind of you know, dispersed out as this scene got more under control and they realized there probably wasn't going to be a huge protest at this location. I believe there's gonna be a vigil tonight, yeah, at eight pm, near the side of the shooting. So yeah, I mean, it's just tough to go from the RNC with you know, massive police presence all of these extremely wealthy, rich white Republicans and then be reminded the real people exist and put events like this people get killed by police to make sure that that that people feel comfortable, ye, going to these sorts of events and just completely unnecessarily. Yeah, and that's that's just a good, a good, a good reminder every time I walk through one of these police checkpoints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donald Donald Trump, you know, survived his brush with the shooting. This young man didn't, and he died because this event was set up in his town. We know that the Secret Service and the you know the other agencies, because it wasn't just the Secret Service that was responsible for Trump getting shot. There were a lot of other law enforcement agencies there failed at their job, you know, last Saturday, to stop the former president from getting shot. Failed very badly at that. But still at the RNC, the only thing that the Security State knows how to do is flood the zone with cops. And the only thing those cops know how to do is when they encounter anything a little bit hostile, draw their guns and empty them. You know, that was my impression, And uh yeah, I think that's probably all we need to say about that right now.
Speaker 6: Sophie tell us about her experience as me and Robert were walking around this side of this police murder. After this short break.
Speaker 7: And we're back, Well, my colleagues were out on the ground, I went to a super super fun event called Giving the Americans a Voice town hall hosted by the Moms for Liberty. It was interesting, to say the least. It was a three hour event with various long event very long, and I recorded all of it so we can put that out at a later date. Let me just give you a quick a quick rundown of what the event was.
Speaker 6: And Moms for Liberty is like a like a lobbying group for parental rights.
Speaker 2: Very supportive of banning books.
Speaker 6: Banning books, parental rights, a lot of stuff around education in school. They they're very active in Washington. They're the sponsor of a lot of these really really like horrible bills about limiting information to children, limiting the rights of children, that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And additional sponsors for this event where Conservative Partnership Institute, Heritage.
Speaker 6: Characterge Foundation, authors of Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: Young America's. I can't even read this logo.
Speaker 6: It's like the Young Republicans Voting Association.
Speaker 7: Young Americans Foundation.
Speaker 2: We did it, great job.
Speaker 7: And Public Square, which is a very strange app and there were three panels and some of the people that were featured on the panel were Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida.
Speaker 2: Sarah Huckabee Sanders made an appearance.
Speaker 7: Governor Sarah Huckabye Sanders, Scott Walker, the governor of Wisconsin.
Speaker 6: The governor of Wisconsin was there.
Speaker 7: He opened the governor, the Governor of Wisconsin was there.
Speaker 2: That's upsetting.
Speaker 7: He was like one of the first people who.
Speaker 6: Spoke, not a Senator to the actual governor, the.
Speaker 7: Forty fifth governor Wisconsin, Scott Walker, Yes, correct, various groups of attorneys general and get the Senator Oswell Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, and it was it was it was a strange event.
Speaker 2: What sort of things do they talk about?
Speaker 7: Well, they started off with them giving an excuse that the reason why that there was an attempted assassination on former President Trump was because of the media falselely compare hip to Hitler, to which they said, there is only one Hitler.
Speaker 2: There's actually been quite a few Hitlers, although there's less.
Speaker 6: Now also, I would I would like for them to feel that question to jd.
Speaker 2: Vance. But anyway, yes, fair enough.
Speaker 7: And then there was, you know, as there are at most of these events, there was a prayer and I just thought it was super interesting that the person giving the prayer referred to the panelists and various speakers as great actors, which was just like an interesting word choice to me.
Speaker 6: Extensively, like political actors, I would assume. But there's interesting associations.
Speaker 7: And like one of the one of the main things that they talked about this event was education, and they said their biggest issue that they have in the United States is the creation of the federal Department of Education and that they were going to change that, which got huge, huge cheers from the crowd. They claim that one of the reasons why the young man had attempted to assassinate Donald Trump was because he had gone to a large school.
Speaker 2: They are very anti large school why.
Speaker 7: Not, and that was one of the main reasons, as well as the media referring to foreign President Trump as hitler. They were adamant that teachers unions do not protect kids and that they are only out for themselves, and that all teachers' unions have been infiltrated by the left.
Speaker 6: Well that part is kind of drown yeah, but no, I mean attacks on teachers unions are I've seen those more in the past four years among a lot of either like right wing influencers or actual politicians. The teachers unions is a very good boogeyman. Yeah, because some people, you know, like their individual teachers. But no, no, no, the real problem is that teachers union.
Speaker 7: Yes, that actual distinction was brought up multiple times. There you go, there you go, And at one point somebody in the back of the room dropped their phone. But it was very loud and unsettling noise to the point where everybody thought that it might have been a gun, and everyone kind of understandably so jumped up and around.
Speaker 2: Oh they're scared of guns. Huh. The Republicans really fucking babies.
Speaker 7: And the overall energy is that they ate the federal government. They want things to go back to a local level, and that the Left is ruining and grooming children. Lots of weird as you can imagine, stuff about gender, lots of stuff.
Speaker 2: About consistent some of the biggest, biggest applause.
Speaker 6: Oh, something to note here.
Speaker 7: Anytime Elon Musk was brought up, which was quite a bit, the crowd went bat shit. Yeah, huge wild cheers for anything to do with Elon, which I thought was, you know, not unexpected, but just that, like, he got louder cheers than I think he got a louder cheer than when they brought up Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: He's really one of their new gray heroes. What did the Attorney's General talk about?
Speaker 7: They were mostly talking about different winds they had had in terms of like their states and things they were bringing the table, and mostly like personal stories of like things that they look for in their family. The Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey. His biggest reaction from the crowd was when he said in Missouri, we don't co parent with the government, and sure the crowd loved that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean this is a big, big, big rental rights group, And yeah, I'm interested in the attorney general because back in twenty twenty three, the attorney's generals from Alan these red states drafted this this very angry, kind of threatening letter to Target, kind of demanding that because some of their states own like an interest in Target, they have to remove any kind of any products that cater to trans people because this is betraying the investors by making this poor economic decision. And really, the attorney's general have been one of the strongest forces against trans rights in a lot of these states. And I believe because I I showed up near the end of the attorney general's segment, I believe they referred to themselves as like the last line of defense. Even if you have like a Democrat, you know, like mayor, or you know you have more Democrat officials in like your city or state, the attorneys generals are are like the ones that are going to hold it down, even if the rest have kind of sold out or are liberals, Democrats.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say the AGS were the most transphobic of the bunch, if I was doing ranking Santas.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: One of them said, you know, in a laughing way, which again got a great reaction from the crowd. Think about a kindergartener saying what's your pronoun?
Speaker 2: Very very funny ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 7: They were laughing and hahaha about that. Yes, And just the last I say about the AGS was that that same ag from Missouri said our rights come from God, not man.
Speaker 2: And famously in the Constitution.
Speaker 7: Yes, anyways, and then DeSantis and Sarah Hackeby Sanders closed it out.
Speaker 2: Which we arrived for.
Speaker 6: We arrived just in time to see DeSantis, thank god, Oh meatball. Ron Dessentis and Huckeby Sanders got to be the two most uncharismatic speakers I've seen at the convention so far.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised they were both shunted off to the I would call it the shame callus.
Speaker 6: So DeSantis was wearing jeans, which is just a fascinating move, but these were very warm.
Speaker 7: Very warned, and essentially when he got up, he basically did like a brag list of all the things that he has gotten done in.
Speaker 6: Florida, talking about, you know, taking the fight to Disney, enacting universal school choice, making sure that there's no sex at in his schools.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 6: And then uh, he talked oddly enough a lot about college.
Speaker 7: University is correct, Yes.
Speaker 6: He was. He was talking about how like, even if you raise your kid, right, even if we fix you know, public.
Speaker 2: Schools, put in eighteen hard years.
Speaker 6: He spent eighteen years raising your kid, you do it right, we fix all of the public schools.
Speaker 2: Everything's good.
Speaker 6: As soon as they turn eighteen, they're gonna go after one of these liberal colleges and they're gonna undo all of the good work that you've put in. And that needs to be the next thing to stop. And he said that Florida is the first state to take on higher education. We've had a lot of focus on lower education. We now we have to take on higher education, including doing like performance reviews for ten good professors every five years, in which case they can be fired for poor performance, which is kind of a wild concept for a Tenian professor.
Speaker 7: He also had a one off wild line where he was like, you did see hamas over on our universities.
Speaker 6: Yes, he referred to Palestinating human rights campus protesters as Hamas, just saying that they are Hamas. Like he didn't like say, these people are like Hamas. You just said when Hamas was coming to the universities, they didn't show up in Florida.
Speaker 2: Which is a very standard Republican line, it is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like, there's just no difference between between someone showing up to a protest in the United States because they don't like that thousands and thousands of Palestinians are being murdered, and that person is now indistinguishable from Hamas according to the Republican Party, according to all of these speakers. Yeah, and so Sarah Sanders just tried to kind of write on the coattails of disantist being like, hey, we're also planning the transgenders.
Speaker 2: She did the.
Speaker 7: Same show listed you know some of her brags mentioned it always has to do she talks about her dad. I wrote John subsic she said, because I was like, she said, the only war on women is on conservative women from the far left. Where are the feminists? They can't even tell you what a woman is.
Speaker 6: Well, someone who's famously taken a woman's studies course, where they never define what a woman is totally. I guess the main upsetting thing for me because the police just killed a black man a few hours ago. I was just reminded, you know, there's so many real people in Milwaukee, right. All the food service workers have been very nice, but there's all these real people facing realists use in the poorest part of Milwaukee. And we just saw someone whose life was ended because police were here for the RNC from a totally different state, and people with real economic concerns, real concerns about you know, their life from police brutality, all this type of stuff. And as soon as you walked into this Mom's for Liberty panel, the first thing we heard them complaining about was that they were being censored on Twitter, yep, and that that was their concern.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden censored us.
Speaker 6: Their hardest thing to them was that they find all this gender stuff a little bit icky and that we're being censored on Twitter. And that is the level of problems that these people are dealing well.
Speaker 2: And our kids didn't turn into the people we wanted them to. Yeah, and that should be the entire country's problem. They are not fundamentally, they don't have real problems. These people, they don't have real problems, but they are unhappy that everyone in the world does not inherently act to serve and validate them. And they are going to make that everyone's promise. You know. That is what the RNC is. Yeah. The people on the floor are what you would call like successful used car dealers, like level of capitalist, right, and they are worshiping an alliance of venture capitalists, guys like the VEC, guys like JD. Vance, and of course people who inherited a shitload of wealth and then eventually succeeded in making money through a combination of vice casinos and the entertainment industry. Trump, you know, like that's that's who this is.
Speaker 7: And uh, speaking of a VIC. As we were getting up to leave, they quickly announced that there was one more person who was going to speak, and it was him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he sure did speak. He gave a speech that I would say was indistinguishable from AI. Yes, just about how how good America can be and even though we're in a tough gpt that even though we're in a tough spot right now, I feel like America can do better. And it was just it was like I could predict every other word.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Hey, this is Gear recording just outside of the main arena at the RNC where Governor Greg Abat just gave a speech. And now I'm giving you a short speech to tell you to enjoy these messages from our sponsors. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: This is Robert M.
Speaker 6: Garrison recording from our hotel room later in the night, because we have learned some new information about the police killing that happened earlier today, and also we listened to a whole bunch of the RNC closing speeches tonight which kind of relate to this question of police violence. I'll hand this off to Robert.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, so since we were down there, the police have released both their security camera footage body camera footage, and we have the name of the decedent, who was Samuel Sharp Junior. This is the guy everyone in the neighborhood identified as Jehovah, and that was the nickname that he went by. He looked younger. I've seen some reports that he was like forty three, but he doesn't look forty three from the footage, you know. And he had just he had used a community shower earlier that day that comes by the neighborhood for some of the homeless folks, and you know, told everyone he loved them. Footage is I understand like exactly how it's going to be used and already as being used by the police, and I understand what they're saying, which is that if you look at the footage, is they rush on scene, I think about fifteen of them. Five of them fired at once and immediately open fire. You can see from a distance the two guys are five to seven feet apart and are kind of crossing the street together while it looks like they are yelling. As the police rush in, Samuel runs forward, and if you clip frames out of the video, you can make a case that he was charging the guy with his knife or knives. Police are saying multiple It's a little unclear to me in the footage if he had two or just one. But I can see how the police showing up on scene, being trained the way that they are, why they open fire. The problem is that he ran forward in the first place, because they rushed in, like these two guys were squared up on the street and not in an encounter that any of the locals considered to be particular literally threatening. If you have spent a lot of time around homeless encampments, if you have spent a lot of time in neighborhoods that have a lot of homeless residence, it is not wild or uncommon to see people yelling and to see people with knives on their person, you know, even in their hands. Obviously, that can be upsetting to some people. But like the folks who lived in the neighborhood did not consider this an odd circumstance. And with something that, in the normal circumstance of events and the normal following of events, would have been de escalated. And in this case, it wasn't the police open fire before there was any attempt at de escalation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And like conservatives will always point out, you know, why is he just following orders? Why isn't he just just doing blah blah blah blah blah. They will they will take they'll take low screenshots that make something look a certain way. And the simple fact is that these two men were not in any physical altercation before police arrived. He started running away as police started charging towards him, I think it would be very odd that he would choose that moment to suddenly lunge forward and stab this person he knew. And it's very clear that he's actually just running away from police, as people often do. And police have a long history of just shooting at people and killing people who are running away. You can look at what happened at the Wendy's in Atlanta in twenty twenty. They shoot people when they don't follow what they're saying. They shoot people when people try to run away from them, and.
Speaker 2: That's just how cops work.
Speaker 6: So this video came out later in the evening, right as me and Robert arrived at the RNC second session. And the theme today for the RNC is make America Safe Again. And some of the first few speeches I heard, one was from the mayor of Dallas, Eric Johnson.
Speaker 11: Democrats and power demonstrate they don't care about stopping the killers or the thieves who terrorize black and brown communities. They don't care about securing our border, and they don't care about dangerous homeless encampments.
Speaker 2: And then there was also a police chief who spoke, a former police chief who now runs a charity I think for like wounded police officers. Yeah, but he's like a cop who is also an activist.
Speaker 6: And so All this framing is around talking about how the Democrats are the defund the police party, how Joe Biden and Kamala Harris themselves advocate for defunding the police, which is simply not true if you look at what they say. Joe Biden will always reiterate that he always has argued for more police funding, for more police training. But they have framed this issue as there are not enough police around, that's what is making cities dangerous, talking about, you know, all the people dying of violent crime. Not a single mention, of course, that the out of state police just killed someone a mile away from the Republican National Convention. The make America Safe Again rhetoric shifted towards, you know, border rhetoric. You know, people believing, genuinely the people that are speaking in the audience that we currently live under an open border policy that people can just walk in totally fine. Just a complete alterned reality view about what's going on in America, what Joe Biden and Kamala Harris's border policies are. And there was a number of speeches that tried to capitalize on this, on this almost like border framing up, like there's icis terrorists pouring into the border only under Joe Biden, right, as if no one ever crossed the border illegally under Donald Trump. I know what, Robert, you were talking about some of the Ted Cruz speech tonight on his comments around the border.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Cruz was interesting. I've never considered him a particularly strong speaker, and coming out, he initially went into kind of a conspiracy theory that you'll hear on the right about people being trafficked, sex trafficked, kids being sex traffic across the border. He made a comment about them having colored wristbands, which is again not a thing that happens, but a reference to a widely believed right wing conspiracy, and that got kind of a scattered amount of applause, not not what I would call a reaction, given how he saw the crowd react, Marjorie Taylor Green and how we saw them react, you know, whenever Trump comes out very muted. But as it went on, he started going into the kind of fearmongering spiel about migrants. He talked about the woman in San Francisco who was killed by that guy who found a gun in a bag and accidentally fired it. He talked about a number of different other cases that were people not from the country, undocumented immigrants who killed generally white Americans. And every time he would tell a story, he had like a refrain line that was something and that's what happens every damn time or something. And every time he gave the refrain, more and more people started to cheer in the audience. And by the end of it, with the last kind of couple of cases of you know, migrant on white people crime he brought up, the crowd was like legitimately roaring like as much as they did for Marjorie Taylor Green. Now the cop that came up next got a much louder response, and by far the biggest response of the night, even maybe including Trump, was when the delegates on the floor launched into a series of back the Blue chants. They actually interrupted the cop with back the Blue chants and people were roaring for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was a lot of a lot of these chants. And the Dallas mayor told a really funny story how in twenty twenty some like anti police or defund the police activists to shut up around his neighborhood to try to, you know, get him to defund the police and he got so scared by this that he changed from being a Democrat mayor to a Republican mayor and now he runs the biggest Republican led city in the country. And he had this comment talking about how he grew up in you know, poor black neighborhoods, and the thing that they've always wanted, the thing that makes them safer, is more cops, not less cops.
Speaker 1: Both.
Speaker 11: I grew up in high prime neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: What we wanted was more and better police, not less.
Speaker 6: And just contrasting that with our experiences today in a very poor black community that just suffered an incident of police killing. That is that is just a lie, right, like, and like everyone knows this. This is theater for the convention. Everyone at the convention is really into this sort of thing. They genuinely believe this sort of stuff, but it's just an alternate reality. We spend time one of the poorest zip codes in the country and the state today and no, it's that's simply not true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these these people are angry about primarily theoretical problems. You know, this kind of specter of migrant crime, which is not really real in a demographic you can pick out individual cases of that, but you can pick out individual cases of doctors stabbing people to death, and that doesn't mean we have a wave of doctor related crime. Right. The reality of the situation is that, like, these are super fans of the Republican Party, and they are super fans of the narrative, and they are cheering for some of the moments. You know, they're not there's some stuff that's gotten boring to them, to think the child traffick at conspiracy theories might be boring to them, maybe because that guy from the child trafficking movie got disgraced or whatever. There's not as interested. So you can see every now and then as like their interest in certain things fades, But they're reacting like an audience that like a comic con would to see in like a Star Wars trailer where some guy does a thing that's evidence of having the comics or whatever people I'm waiting to see, Like when fucking DeSantis comes on and starts talking about banning children from receiving gender affirming care, that's like fucking Spider Man showing up, right, And they react like the guy next to us when DeSantis started doing this started screaming and like sticking his fist out towards DeSantis and like yelling at it a volume that was honestly kind of surprising the man could project. I'll give him that. So I think ultimately the way I would sum this up is that these are not normal people. These are people who love politics. And again, to be clear, I'm not saying these are not normal people because they're conservative. Your family are conservative, a lot of them are Trump voters, but they would find this audience deeply weird because these people are politics fans, and even most of the conservatives I know really dislike politics. Most normal people do, and I guess that's kind of where I've concluded, is the difference between like the crazies and the normies. Normal people don't enjoy this stuff.
Speaker 6: The term I've used the past few years is politics as fandom, and that's all this fucking is. This is this is a convention, just like comic con, just like an anime con. This is a convention, and that is how they view politics. Anyway, back to the past versions of us to discuss a funny closing story regarding presidential footwear. So that has been our day so far. The last thing I say will leave you with is. On our way to the convention site this morning, we were walking through this hotel to get through security and we found this wonderful section. It was it was it was called the Presidential Experience. We walked in. There was a there was a replica of the Oval Office. I was told Reagan era Oval Office it was. It was pretty good, and it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was not good Netflix production, but like Netflix production level quality.
Speaker 6: Bad Netflix production quality. So we walked through and then we found just a glorious site. And I will let Past Robert and myself tell you what we found at the Presidential Experience. We are hearing the Presidential shoe section. We've got Harry Truman, Nixon, Gerald Ford, Reagan, Warren G. Harding, who has a quote charming spat requested by President Harding and sympathized the elegance of the Victorian era. Dwight Eisenhower's shoes are pretty good. JFKs are a little bit more fancy but less polished. Lyndon B. Johnson's completely unsurprising, very very versatile, very efficient, can get off easy, slip on and off, get those dogs out when you need to. Abe Lincoln has some honestly, very stylish boots. Theodore Roosevelt's as well, large foot on Theodore and Woodrow Wilson's shoes the only white shoe in the bunch. Very small, tiny feet, very small feet. Kind of surprisingly He's it says he chose fashion over tradition with these white buckskins. Also they have Ulysses S. Grant's little little riding boots. The Victorian boots are are very very stylish. But honestly, I think I would go with Dwight D. Eisenhower's. They're just a beautiful, a beautiful shoe. Reagan's aren't bad, but I don't know. The Eisenhower shoes just a little bit more elegant.
Speaker 2: I'm going for LBJ slip on life.
Speaker 6: That makes sense for you.
Speaker 2: That shows you're a man who's got things to do. You know, you don't have time to be tie in your shoes.
Speaker 6: No, that that that makes sense, That makes sense. Nick Nixon's and Kennedy's are very similar.
Speaker 2: Process or I will tell you the truth, like or.
Speaker 6: Not pretty good. It looks like this was presented by c SPAN this presidential experience. We have a Reagan era replica of the Oval Office, not a big room, not a big room, but overall of decent, decent replica.
Speaker 2: Nice JFK portrait Up there. There's a women's suffrage article.
Speaker 6: Interesting women's suffrage, little table. Very controversial topic among Republicans these days.
Speaker 2: It has gotten to be increasingly so.
Speaker 6: Some old Pennsylvania Packet and Daily Advertiser newspapers from seventeen eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so this is I guess the original Pennsylvania newspaper coverage and printing of the.
Speaker 6: Seventeen eighty seven Yeah, of the Constitution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the preamble right there. Yeah, and they spell established justice as a thab lith justith because that's a yieldie days, a lot a lot more f's back in the day. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But they have these little information placards about all the presidents, the first ladies, that kind of stuff. We'll try to talk to the to the organizer of this little shindig in a sect. But honestly, the shoe, the shoe section, it's the most interesting thing to me just because of how tiny, just just how tiny those Woodrow Wilson shooes are.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jay, that's that's a that's a that's a long foot. It's not a wide foot.
Speaker 6: Roosevelt's feet are pretty wide, you as Grant also very small, also very small feet. Hmmm. Yeah. You know what they say about anyway, who's your favorite president?
Speaker 2: Favorite? Honestly? You know, I I I think I gotta go with US Grant. He's He's not my favorite president in terms of what he did in office, but in terms of like as a person, sure, he's the US president that I think was probably the the best person. Like he really did try.
Speaker 6: Always been a Harrison fan myself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, William Henry, he was my favorite ass president right.
Speaker 6: Also rhymes was my first name, So a little bit of a bias there.
Speaker 2: He really I like a man who there. There's not much like fat on that presidency.
Speaker 6: He really efficient, efficient, efficient time in office.
Speaker 2: You got in and out. Wow, very exciting. All those little feet. I can't stop thinking about. You know what I think about that's the weirdest is that they did not have they didn't have any bush feet. Sadly well, they didn't have bush feet. And there was one guy who they didn't have his shoes. They just had the US Grant. They just had they had like the model that they built the shoe around for him. Yes, which was weird. I was like, where's your where's your US grant shoe? You don't want to show us the hardest working man whoever lived to be president?
Speaker 6: But yeah, no, I thought that was some important breaking news for our listeners to hear who had the smallest foot. Yeah, but as of right now, that is day two of the Republican National Convention.
Speaker 2: Until our next update, don't come here. It's unpleasant.
Speaker 7: America is Trump strong? Okay?
Speaker 2: It is so funny.
Speaker 6: Welcome to it could happen here. A podcast recorded from the Republican National Convention, specifically the hotel where the Idaho and North Dakota delegates are gathered. Yeah, fascinating elevator rides.
Speaker 2: And we're thinking today about the memory of that guy that Trump does not know the name of who got shot to death.
Speaker 1: Corey k.
Speaker 2: They've definitely pronounced every time they've said it wrong.
Speaker 7: Every single person who spoke the last few days pronounced his name differently, And I was like, well, finally they have somebody's name to pronounce more incorrectly than they do Kabla Harris or Ramaswami.
Speaker 2: And it's look, folks, I'm not gonna laugh at his kids. You know, that's a tragedy for them. But what I will say is that objectively, it's really funny that this guy died for Donald Trump, and Trump very obviously does not care, couldn't, could not be less important to him, Like there is nothing that matters less than this election the man who took a bullet for him, And that's really funny. That's really funny.
Speaker 7: Anyways, Uh, this is it could happen here. I'm Sophie LICHTBD. We're, like Gara said at the R and C. I have Garrison Davis with me and Robert Evans.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, very professional, Sophie, Thank.
Speaker 7: You so much. I am your boss. Do you want to tell me a little bit about this morning?
Speaker 6: Well, I think first to talk about some of our late night escapades.
Speaker 7: Oh wait, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Cigar bar, Yes, wow, I did not go with you to that event, so I call.
Speaker 2: I agree that was a good call. I counted on the main floor of the cigar bar where the young Republicans had their party, and six of forty people had cigars.
Speaker 6: I had a cigar?
Speaker 2: You did you had? Because I brought a election of my finest Cubans.
Speaker 7: Yeah, very very kind of you, Robert.
Speaker 2: I had one of John F. Kennedy's favorite cigars that I had been aging for two years waiting for this moment.
Speaker 6: I did like that you had the foresight to bring cigars to the art, to bring.
Speaker 2: Extremely high quality. Our buddy Lenny had a three year age part of goas you had. But I've been drinking and I had a lovely have you been quality? The best cigars there. I talked to everyone who happened to be smoking a cigar, and they were all smoking trash like a Rodwin and American garbage, because none of them had any kind of look. I don't get into this often. I don't want to be like some of our friends in the in the far right and and use cigars as a totem. I enjoyed my cigars privately, but we were going to a cigar bar, so I brought my nice cigars and oh was it a cigar bar?
Speaker 7: Were there cigars there? You're just at the word cigars seven.
Speaker 2: It was not lost on me that none of them smoked good cigars, because they're children, are what. We had an interview with Rudy Giuliani, and Rudy would have understood that man has nice cigars. I'll say that about Rudy Giuliani. He knows the cigars, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Great, So we've been trying to hit the kind of the after party scene at the RNC just to see kind of what's up. This little cigar party was put on by some of the young Republicans from New.
Speaker 2: York, primarily in New York. They are very confident of a victory, potentially a statewide victory in a national election. And you know what, the evidence doesn't make it impossible. It doesn't look like it's going to happen from this cycle. But twenty twenty eight, New York could be in play. And one of the interesting things is that Florida also seems to be tightening. Two poles recently show Trump just four points ahead of Biden. He won by ten in twenty twenty. That's a significant tightening and within kind of swing state margins. And so it is kind of interesting to conceive of the possibility that by twenty twenty eight, both New York and Florida could be in play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I dressed like a nineteen fifty FBI agent and trench coat and smoke well, done one of these cigars as best as I could.
Speaker 2: How'd you like it?
Speaker 6: It was fine.
Speaker 2: It was a nice cigar.
Speaker 6: It's no clove.
Speaker 2: Good god, oh my fucking so, give me a gun.
Speaker 6: It was it was. It was a nice little party. We talked, We talked to some people. The best thing about the party though, is that there was a series of speeches put on by these guys from New York that kind of just kept going on. And the longer that these speeches and like these three different guys kept going on, the music on the roof started to get slowly louder and louder and louder until it was completely draining out the speeches, until they just stopped because like, okay, the music's too loud.
Speaker 2: Now now and again there are heroes.
Speaker 6: So someone was on that dial just every every two minutes it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: There's a guy I follow who has started who followed me back in twenty twenty, who was like an election poll analysis expert and was like, and it's not a political guy, but was like, look, if you show up at a convention after party to talk, fuck you like people are there to drink, all you should say is the bar is open and I agreed with that, and then you know what, to skip ahead. Credit to the Heritage Foundation. Nobody ever said anything but that we could drink all we wanted. That is a Heritage Foundation party.
Speaker 6: That is right, which we will get to later. So we were up way too late, way too late at at some of these after parties the other night, and we had to get up pretty early in the morning because we had an interview with the CEO of the Texas Public Policy Foundation, which is kind of like a mini version, yeah, the Heritage Foundation, but just for Texas. Yeah, the former guy who ran this now runs the Heritage Foundation itself, so it's kind of like a little bit of a training ground and they kind of swap members often. We had a pretty long interview that we will turn into some kind of future piece of content, discussing everything from woke ideology to the mortal rot infecting America.
Speaker 2: To why mash shoot happened in this country. Yeah, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 6: He was very polished, very media trained.
Speaker 2: He easily the best interview subject in terms of his like skillet talking, yeah, that we've had.
Speaker 6: And similarly, I don't think he was quite prepared for our line of questioning either, you know, so that he got taken it back a little bit by some of the questions we were lobbing him, probably very different from the rest of the interviews that he's been doing. I'm trying to think if there's any anything specifically about that interview that's worth mentioning.
Speaker 2: Now, you know what really interests me because the shooting is so relevant, I will bring up the shooting. We talked about why the guy who tried to kill Trump had done it, and he and I were kind of the same mind, the same mind that you are, Garrison, which is that this was a school shooter type thing and that was the primary reason behind the ideology. And this is before now some stuff has come out since that has made that seem even more likely. But it was interesting to like kind of have that not be a controversial part of the conversation. This was not a radical left shooting. There was no sort of attempt by him to claim it as that. He was like, yeah, this seems like a guy. We have a deep sickness in this country, and we clearly disagreed with him about the specifics of where the sickness comes from. But the sickness leads to some people who just want to do mass shootings that are not political, and uh, that was interesting to me.
Speaker 6: No, And one of the big things talked about in terms of this moral rot is that there is something lacking in our country, specifically with young men. There's there is there is this lack of purpose among young men which makes them do these kind of violent acts.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with that, sure, And I think I think I disagree with Yeah, his his.
Speaker 6: His solutions and some and some some of his diagnosis in certain ways, right because he he'll attribute that lack to certain things that we might not morality at the home, and sure, you know, all these all those kind of things. But you know, that was that that was kind of his his take, you know. And then we also talked about everything from like the influence of billionaires on these right wing think tanks and political candidates, Catholics versus Evangelicals. It was an interesting conversation that I'm sure you'll hear in the coming weeks, and we'll kind of explain why we want you to hear from this guy who's, you know, typically probably pretty adversarial to the type of stuff that we talk about on this show. But after this interview. I met up with Sophie lichterman Hey and we talked to the people at the actual Heritage Foundation booth who had many a pamphlet, and I collected all of the gender ideology pamphlets, which will also be a future deep dive kind of Curiously, they did not have a single pamphlet about Project twenty twenty five. Nope, No, and they didn't like talking about it either. They said that Project twenty twenty five is, you know, a coalition effort between both Heritage and all these other groups, but they're not really talking about it here today because it's not Trump's policy platform. Trump has his own policy platform. This is just a list of policy suggestions for lawmakers once they get into office. So they like to talk about a whole bunch of other stuff, you know, certain things that are kind of a part of Project twenty twenty five, but nothing about the actual you know, document itself, partially due to the kind of negative blash that it has received, and you know, it seems to be kind of widely unliked for various reasons. So I think it was interesting that they weren't even pushing it at an event like this.
Speaker 2: You know, again, with the Texas Policy Foundation gut we talked about when we brought it up. He was pretty open about the fact that it's not popular. Yeah, and his attitude was that in the future, once we win, we can try and build consensus around it. But he didn't try to deny the fact that, like, it's widely disliked by the electorate.
Speaker 6: And it is against a lot of things that are on the Republican policy platform for the actual party. Sophie, you had a wonderful conversation with some of these heritage folks.
Speaker 7: Let's just say that my very blonde hair and the pig tills that I or most of this week made it very easy for these folks to talk to me, which is unsettling.
Speaker 6: A little bit frightening, but useful.
Speaker 7: But very very very scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Of course, asking a lot of the folks that I've talked to this week is mostly about their opinions about education, and you know, if there is a shift in power with Trump being elected in November, what exactly they would want to do. And the overall majority answer from these groups is that they want to take away power from the federal government and bring it to the states, and that would be universal school choice, and so got a little bit of that from them. They also mentioned something about one of the biggest roadblocks being student loans.
Speaker 6: While also being very against student learned for forgiveness specifically, so it's kind of a it was an interesting position. I want to read some more of their pamphlets on that.
Speaker 7: But anyways, that just talks with them more. Got more of their pamphlets and Garrison and I asked them about the states that they choose to operate.
Speaker 6: In and specifically for their lobbying group as opposed to just like the think tank, they have this other thing I think called Heritage Action, which operates differently because of certain laws around lobbying.
Speaker 2: It's kind of where they try to train a lot of new people up. They had a lot of advertisements that they did, something like fifty yea.
Speaker 6: More on the ground activism type stuff.
Speaker 7: And Garret, what was the answer they gave? I thought it was interesting you asked the question for why they didn't go in certain states.
Speaker 6: Yes, so they had this map of what states they were active in, and there were certain states, you know, like Oregon, Washington, a whole bunch of the New England states, and they just weren't active in because they didn't think they would be very effective. They wouln't make any leeway. It's it's just not worth it. It's not going to move towards actual electoral victories. But the other there's other states like Wyoming and a few others that they weren't active in for different reasons because of specific regulations regarding donor transparency that they were strongly against the states that require there to be transparency for people who donate to these kind of political groups. And in protest of those regulations and laws, they are completely inactive in those states, which is a funny way of saying, we just want to hide whoever gives us money. And that is that was a little interesting piece of information regarding you know, there's the state states don't operate and because they do not want to see or have it made public where their kind of money is coming in and out of, at least for the Heritage Action part of the group.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was overall just interesting that there was you know, at this at this booth, there was about five different i would say twenty something women.
Speaker 6: Twenty something died blonde women, yes.
Speaker 7: And they invited me to their Heritage Social party that they were having that was across from the main convention where you needed an access code to get in, and they gave you that flyer and.
Speaker 6: You will hear all about that. We took advantage of that. At the end of the episode you will get a special inside look at the Heritage Foundations private invite only exclusive.
Speaker 2: Party was off the record. Now, does it count? No, of course not. I promised that lady that what she said to me was off the record, and I won't say any more about that. But I didn't promise that to anyone else.
Speaker 6: Do you know what's on the record, Robert, what you said later?
Speaker 7: These products and the products and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 2: That also that also is off the record, on the record. Whatever, here's the ads.
Speaker 6: We are back and don't worry. You will hear about this special Heritage Foundation party in a sect. But first I want to play for you a whole interview that I collected just down the hall from the Heritage Foundation booth. The American Conservation Coalition had a pretty a pretty large section of the RNC convention fest. You know, list of vendors kind of more typical like you know, convention type stuff. You know, like if you go to like a comic on or something, it's a lot of like vendors and booths that this kind of section of the R and C. So they had this this pretty big booth and it was the only time I ever seen anything mentioned about climate change. So I was interested to see what conservatives talking about climate change sound like what they're saying. And I will just play that interview here right now. Do you want to introducing yourself in the organization you're with.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 5: My name's Carl Matthews. I'm the vice president of Communications at the American Conservation Coalition, which is the largest conservative grassroots environmental organization in the country.
Speaker 2: So a few things that that interested me about your group.
Speaker 6: I mean, especially if you look back in the last one hundred years, like environmental conservation has been historically a much more conservative standpoint.
Speaker 2: You can look at like presidents in like the.
Speaker 6: Nineteen twenties, there was a huge push for that, and somewhere along the lines that that's kind of been lost for like a number of reasons. I guess, what is your main mission here with this organization?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, it's interesting you bring up kind of the history of conservative conservation because we have a timeline here at the RNC showing all the Republican presidents who have really engaged on this issue, from Ulysses Grant to Teddy Roosevelt to more modern present that is like Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and even hw Bush. So what we're really doing here with the American Conservation Coalition is building the conservative environmental movement, specifically among young Americans who frankly feel kind of disenfranchised by both parties on the issue of climate and the environment. The left has taken a really doom and gloom approach to these issues that isn't very inspiring for a lot of young folks, and in the last thirty years, conservatives haven't engaged very productively. So we're here showing that conservation is conservative, those values are inherently entwined, and it's okay to call for action on environmental issues like climate change.
Speaker 6: I guess yeah. Let's start more on like the big topic, which is which is climate change, and we can get into like local conservation. What is your take on the current climate scenario, because like ever since, ever since the early two thousands, there's been this you know, for a lot of young people slightly worrying trend. If you have the politicians just either seriously downgrading, you know, the scale of this problem, or just thinking there is no problem. What is your take both, I guess on that part. And then how you see the climate crisis, the climate issue that we are dealing with, where do you see it heading?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So ACC was founded because Conservatives weren't engaging on this issue. So for the last six seven years we've been really pushing conservatives, especially conservative elected leaders, to re engage in a productive way. And I think we've done that really effectively. In DC where I live, the Conservative Climate Caucus in the House, which is a group of Republican lawmakers interested in tackling the issue of climate change, has eighty seven members. It's the fourth largest in the Republican conference. So we're seeing a big kind of shift in the Overton window there. But yeah, I think young people want elected leaders who recognize that we have an issue, recognize that we have a challenge in climate change, and want practical solutions like expanding clean, reliable nuclear energy, like pursuing permitting reform to actually allow American energy projects to be built. So I think we take a really kind of level headed rationalach to these issues that really resonates.
Speaker 6: With young people. What's the main difference in how you view the climate issue as opposed to someone like AOC right or like these these more like progressive democrats of view, this is a very existential crisis.
Speaker 2: You have to get fossil fuels under control.
Speaker 6: These kind of timelines that we hear, you know, by twenty fifty, by twenty seventy, by even like something like twenty thirty, right, how it becomes like a cascading problem. How differently do you view the current situation than you know, these like progressive democrats.
Speaker 5: Sure, like I said, climate change is a challenge. It's certainly something that we need to tackle, but we don't view it through kind of this doom and gloom lens where we're going to die in twelve, ten, five years, whatever the current timeline is on the left. But we do see a need for all of the above energy. So we recognize that energy demand is continuing to expand, but we also need to protect our environment. So we need to kind of consider that trilemma reliable, affordable, and clean when we're looking at our energy portfolio in the future. And I think that's what really kind of distinguishes us from the left, and that we're not calling for a divestment of fossil fuels. We're calling for a rational, level headed energy strategy that will lower emissions, but in kind of a more realistic way.
Speaker 6: Do you think that timeline's gonna be more stretched out? Because I mean, if if you look at you know the way current levels are heading. As soon as we hit like two point five degrees, not just that change, but the level of cascating environmental effects, right, one thing changes. Now everything gets worse because when stuff melts, then it changes the way like thermal regulation of the whole planet works, and then it becomes this kind of cascating problem. And I feel like we're trying to get out in front of it before it happens. That every day that kind of feels less and less likely, at least for a lot of people like my age, And it can be a very doom and gloom scenario because you feel like no one's taking this problem seriously.
Speaker 2: Even Joe Biden's.
Speaker 6: Climate policy is very inadequate according to like a lot of a lot of the people that I talk to. I guess, see, like, how do you view like the scale of this problem right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, climate change is the kind of environmental challenge of our time, right, it should be what you know, we're thinking about and focusing on when it comes to environmental policy. But I really think we need to kind of take a step back, and that kind of push for urgency hasn't gotten us anywhere to your point. You know, Joe Biden is kind of branding himself as the Climate President, but you know a lot of young people are unhappy with the platform that he's put forwards. So I think when you're talking about the timeline, we're talking about what we can do right now to kind of unleash American energy, to reduce American emissions, but also global emissions, and really think of this on a global scale. So that urgency piece isn't quite you know, realistic, or isn't quite what we want to focus on, because I don't think it leads to action.
Speaker 6: There's kind of two trains of thought in terms of like climate policy stuff. There's taking like adaptation roots right, trying to adapt to a changing environment that we're going to have to face it. It's going to happen versus mitigation. Right. For a while, we were trying to find ways to mitigate the problem, to kind of get ahead of it, right, and that is feeling less and less likely, and we are seeing more of these adaptive strategies getting adopted.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: There's everything from like you know, people are trying to develop better carbon capture, which has its own problems as a technology, and you know, everything from like geoengineering even to like solar blockage. There's a lot of things that people are thinking, like, if we don't get like emissions under control, we're gonna have to go to similar more of as extreme measures. How much of your focus is on adapt developments versus just mitigation.
Speaker 5: Well, we definitely need both. To your point, we have to adapt to a change in climate, but we also need to be reducing emissions to kind of prevent future effects. So I think we kind of set a balance between adaptation and mitigation, and frankly, I think sometimes they can be really kind of connected and entwined. So something we focus on, for instance, is regenerative agriculture, which lowers emissions associated with agriculture but also helps the land kind of adjust to a change in climate, keeps the soil healthy, things like that. So I really think when we're talking about climate, we can talk about adaptation and mitigation kind of at the same time.
Speaker 6: How do you try to do outreach to a vast number of republic Conservatives who simply don't think this is a problem, who like just deny this as a problem. I think this is like a scam in some way. How do you try to tackle that, as you know, coming from a similarly like an also conservative position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, I mean, we're here at the Republican National Convention, and it's been really interesting talking to a lot of folks from diverse backgrounds about the issue of climate and also environmental conservation. I really do think it matters how you start the conversation. We talked earlier about kind of our timeline of the legacy of conservative environmentalism. Starting there and talking about how we can carry on that legacy and how we can tackle kind of this environmental issue of our time has been really effective and we've gotten a lot of positive reception. You know, there's always going to be disagreement, there's always going to be detractors, but I do think that there's more and more of kind of that acceptance that we need to take care of our own backyard. And that includes, you know, tackling climate change.
Speaker 6: How much stuff do you end up having to you know, talk about or not necessarily focused on, but at least talk about like actual phosiphel missions, racking, these types of things that are like mainstays of politics because of how much money goes into them, but undeniably are a massive contributing factor. And we do need to move to probably some more nuclear options to forgive the expression, I guess, and you know as well as like a like a solar hydro which are you know, less good than nuclear on like a large scale. But like you know, especially for like the for the Republican Party trying to trying to point out certain things about how we will have to scale back some degree of fossil fuels, if not you know, a majority of it in the next twenty five years, if we want to, if we want to not have like a pretty bad scenario at least for not even just for humans, but for like animals in other parts of the environment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think that goes back to the all of the above energy approach and really diversifying our energy portfolio, which frankly is not only good for the environment, but good for energy security. We've seen you know, hacking of pipelines or other kind of cyber energy attacks. So by diversifying sources, we're really setting ourselves up to have a more secure energy grid. So I think there's other ways that you can talk about you know, environmental actions, climate actions that have co benefits, and we can talk about that in a really productive way with Republicans.
Speaker 6: Do you also focus on like local ecology efforts, like you know, like some of the more like Roosevelt style conservation. Is that something that you also kind of try to advocate for? Also, it's like an on ramch talk about these like broader climate issues.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I love that framing that you used as kind of the entry point to climate issues. We have fifty thousand young members across the country in about one hundred branches, either on college campuses or in young professional communities, and they go out and they plant trees in their communities, They do park cleanups, they clean up a waterway, They have educational speakers to learn more about these issues. And we found that that's really really effective in building this conservative environmental movement and showing that these values are connected, they're compatible, and then that can lead to advocacy on the national level for things like we talked about nuclear energy or other clean energy sources, So that's been really effective for us.
Speaker 6: What would you like to see as a conservative climate policy in like ten years, Like what would you hope gets adopted to help curtail like, you know, these more catastrophic scenarios.
Speaker 5: Great question, and I would hope it perhaps a little bit earlier than ten.
Speaker 6: Years, absolutely, but I'm just based on how things have gone.
Speaker 5: Sure, So we have kind of a big three that we're focused on right now. Permitting reforms, so getting the government out of its own way, frankly, to fight climate change, and unleash American energy in the form of clean energy nuclear, solar, wind, geothermal, hydropower, and really kind of expand what we can build in this country. Again, nuclear energy is really one of the focuses for us because it's a baseload energy source that can run twenty four to seven, it's clean, and it's really secure. So we're really focused on nuclear. And then the last thing is American energy dominance. Here in the United States, we produce energy safer, cleaner, and more efficiently, and we really want to be a leader on the world stage. When it comes to energy.
Speaker 6: I think that there is a lot of people, both like you know, progressive Democrats who really care about this issue, as well as you know a lot of Republicans and liberals who have a lot of skepticism about nuclear energy, right for some good reasons. There have been some unfortunate events that have happened, and I know, like fission and fusion have been slowly getting better where I feel like we're close to some kind of breakthrough, but we do have like kind of a limited time. How do you approach kind of talking to people who have a level of like risk in terms of nuclear energy and like the possible dangers that it's had based on a few accidents, even though a lot of a lot of these plants are relatively safe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love this question. I grew up an hour south of Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania, so I have a lot of experience with nuclear skepticism. Look, I mean, nuclear energy is the safest and cleanest form that we have in our back pocket. Yes, there have been some unfortunate incident frankly, they're human error, and we understand nuclear power a lot better now. We have more safeguards in place since incidents like Chernobyl or Three Mile Island, and we haven't seen a nuclear meltdown that we were promised in the Simpsons or the China Syndrome or something like that. The fact is nuclear quote waste is really nuclear spent fuel, and we can recycle that and keep producing clean nuclear power. We have incredibly well trained nuclear experts at all of our power plants across the United States, and they produce clean, reliable energy for consumers all over the country. So we really need to kind of get over those messaging hurdles with nuclear and expand the industry here.
Speaker 6: What do you think will happen if your concerns go unheard? Like if this just doesn't this just does doesn't work. I think it's kind of continue at the scale and like a timeline they have been. What worries do you have?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a really excess to to a question. Yeah, I mean, I think we're in the seven years since we've been founded, we're working really hard to build coalitions with a lot of different stakeholders and be heard by a lot of different folks in power, and frankly, I'm hopeful that we will, you know, pursue solutions to climate change that we will you know, for lack of a better term, get our act together and pursue these solutions. And really, I think the biggest thing that I like to focus on when it comes to climate advocacy is optimism and this idea that you know, the planet is our one common denominator and we can unite around that. And you know, already in Congress we've seen bipartisan legislation in a really polarizing time that focuses on climate. Probably the last big package in the one hundred and eighteenth Congress was a nuclear package to unleash next generation nuclears. So I know I'm not exactly answering your question, but I am extremely optimistic about the future.
Speaker 6: Do you think there's a path towards some kind of bipartisan advocacy not just like the Senate, but also like in terms of like environmental movements and like protests. And obviously there's certain people who employ very theatrical tactics that maybe don't correlate to much improved means, But do you see there's a possibility of, like, you know, a larger public call for action on this issue. I mean mean, something that we've covered on our show a while ago, is like will it take something like a general strike to even like get people to like realize like we need this to be done, Like not necessarily that option, but like do you see like a route towards more bipartisan activism and advocacy of this issue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question. We do a lot of bridge building work. I was actually in Los Angeles earlier this year with a group of conservative climate advocates and progressive climate advocates and we talked about solutions where there's common ground, and then we finished the day by doing a beach clean up together. So I really do think there's a lot of opportunity to kind of unite on this issue, especially in younger generations. When I talked about Hope earlier, they're the ones who really of me hope, and I think there's a lot of common ground that we can pursue together.
Speaker 6: That's all I had And unless you have any any other notes, who are points you wanted to mention?
Speaker 5: If you want to find ACC, you can find us at ACC dot e COO, or ACC Underscore National on social platforms. But that's it for me.
Speaker 6: Well, I hope that was slightly informative and now we will inform you about the Heritage Foundations private exclusive party after these messages. Okay, we are back.
Speaker 7: We are back, and we are ready to tell you, Oh five pigtails. Let us infiltrate famous hate group, the Heritage Foundations social house party.
Speaker 2: We got all up in the first off a lot of microwave grade food.
Speaker 6: It was the worst food we've had in all of Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Was it Heritage and Foundation Great Meals?
Speaker 6: Yes, that is a very notable that the Heritage Foundation had the worst food that we've had this entire week.
Speaker 2: Not shocked.
Speaker 7: First of all, they let you two as well as another one of our friends come in off of my access code, which is very funny, and that we took one of the most hilarious photos we've ever taken together.
Speaker 2: And then we then we met with one of the producers the Daily Wire and watched him try to figure out who we are as I introduced him, funny name he was. He was just calculating, and then some lady came up and disrupted and we just fucking.
Speaker 6: You can see the little like thinking thing to do like third.
Speaker 7: Grade edition, and I wasn't the math was not mathing.
Speaker 6: It was like that one BABC Sherlock scene. He was trying to pull up he was trying to pull up the files. Yes, didn't work, didn't work, didn't have enough time. We stayed in that party, Robert, you seen that party for like five straight hours.
Speaker 2: I was there for a long time. For every drink I wanted to drink, I would order another and just pour it out because I wanted. I wanted to make them spend the money. It was going to go somewhere.
Speaker 6: Free for us, but not free for them. So as Robert was was schmoosion with the Heritage Foundation attendees, guys mean Sophie went into the convention center to hear some speeches, and most of them today honestly pretty boring, and even even in the notable ones were also kind of boring. The one I guess we'll talk about just very briefly is Don Junior's speech. First, he brought out his daughter, Trump's granddaughter.
Speaker 7: Before you get to that, do you want to go over what the theme of the day was.
Speaker 6: No, I mean maybe we can, we can mention it. I don't feel how relevant it was to any of the speeches. It was just make America strong. It was strong once again. Sorry, once again.
Speaker 2: Interesting that they didn't want to sound out Massa.
Speaker 7: You know. Anyways, I guess, I guess it's really not that relevant. I just just to point out that on the previous days for the different themes, there was very intricate backgrounds that were up.
Speaker 6: They didn't know anything strong again, they.
Speaker 7: Were like, so they phoned it the fucking yeah, and there was no interesting background anyways, Garrett, what were you saying?
Speaker 6: So Donald Trump Junior's daughter, So Trump, the actual real ones granddaughter gave this little this little speechman to humanize her.
Speaker 7: Grand Grandpa is a nice guy, calls me and asks me how I am.
Speaker 6: That was basically the speech, which is lovely. Is sure? Why not?
Speaker 7: It was her first speech. I don't think any of the other grandchildren have given speeches before.
Speaker 6: No, this is kind of the first appearance of one of Trump's grandkids.
Speaker 7: Yes, And the way it was framed is don Junior came up and then was like she just called me. It was very intentionally propaganda's It was also.
Speaker 6: The most happy I've seen Trump this entire week.
Speaker 2: Though he might actually care about his granddaughter.
Speaker 6: Yes, definitely more than his son had.
Speaker 2: It would be hard to care less.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure how much they've they've shown it on TV, but you know, I had a view of him the entire night tonight right from where I was sitting. I was an angle where I can see his face, and they showed his face on the screen a bunch, and he was genuinely stoic. I would say he smiled for his granddaughter definitely the most, and maybe once sturring Kimberly Gilfoyle's speech at the very end, But other than that, I did not see much emotion from him today, and it was pretty similar to the rest of the week.
Speaker 2: I think, you again, you have to keep in mind with him whatever I mean, we hate him. He's a bad man, he's a monster, would be the worst possible president we could have. But he's also a person who got shot and he's traumatized, you know, and like you don't have to like make up excuses for that. Like he is a human being who is scared because a man shot him in the head, and that's really not a complicated thing to diagnose.
Speaker 6: So after the granddaughter gave her a little spiel, Trump Junior himself had a little speech that he was basically just doing an impression of his father for the.
Speaker 2: Entire time dog shit impreson.
Speaker 6: It's not a very good impression, but compared to Vans it was still it was very impressive.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 7: I will say the crowd did really, really.
Speaker 6: He seemed to like him. There was chance of you know, Trump Junior twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: It reminded me of when I was at my first Trump rally. This would have been in the late spring, early summer of twenty sixteen, when fucking Chris Christie conceded to Trump. There was a British naturalized citizen in the crowd of the rally, and I was like, you want him to be president for eight years? And he was like, well, I wanted to be president for eight years to start, And I was like, to start, what happens next? He's like, well, he's got three kids, doesn't he. Then he like walked through his basic plan for Trump to have a dynasty like the royal family. And I wish I had said, go back home, go back home to your fucking country with your goddamn royal family. We don't have that here, but we might. They wanted it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, late here the idea of the King's becoming increasingly popular.
Speaker 7: You have never told me that story, and I am well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I got great audio of that guy.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much. That is going to haut me tonight. Garrisden.
Speaker 6: What else, Yeah, I mean Trum Junior had a few funny lines, making fun of build back Better, making some corn pop jokes mad a.
Speaker 7: Corn pop joke, the cookes in the bulbit, very funny.
Speaker 6: The one line I do want to mention is that he talked about how the left wants to use the First Amendment to show kids explicit drag shows, but they want to put you into jail for making a meme, something that has never happened, not a single.
Speaker 2: Time, not once, not one. They barely put people into jail for assaulting the capital. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So that was most of his speech. We then heard from Vance's wife, who gave a typical Vice first lady speech. It wasn't notable. And then we heard from Vance himself, the the the hopeful future vice president.
Speaker 7: What sorry, I was taking a nap.
Speaker 6: Wait, Sophia, soay, wake up, wake up, we're recording a podcast here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Just the sound of Jdbans's name put me right to sleep.
Speaker 6: He gave what I would describe and people have since described it's kind of a bad speech slop.
Speaker 2: You guys were in the stadium. I was sitting at the Heritage finn Ocean party on an upper roof dome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what'd they think?
Speaker 2: There were three people during most of it, and then like four others filtered in. When those guys left, every single one of them was disappointed. The only guy who liked it was a Fox News reporter, and when he left, the people who had been like, well he was okay, said well, I hate that I had to lie in front of that guy, but he was media. I was kind of just sitting on my phone pretending to be texting and listening to them, so they didn't really notice me. But the ultimate feeling that they expressed repeatedly was that was really disappointing. It was really boring. It was really long. He is not a great speaker. There was one guy who repeatedly said, I don't like that his wife isn't white. I wish his wife was white. And then there was a guy who was kind of a more libertarian of the Republican Party who I had chatted with, who came in and like sat down to have a drink, and you know, was expressing that he liked Vance's speech. And the guy said, what are you a Cuban? And the guy said no, and he's like, well, you're not white.
Speaker 6: So that was great, amazing stuff happening in the Heritage Foundation private party.
Speaker 2: The Foundation party was was a good time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this is something I was even seeing in the convention people there. You know, there was there was some like you know, respectful clapping, but people weren't super into it, at least in the sections that we were at. The lady sitting next to me, he was, you know, just like a Republican woman her maybe fifties or sixties, very very lucid, kind of just like kept dozing off just because she was so bored, not like because she was sleepy, just because she was bored.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a good speech.
Speaker 7: No, She looks at me and she said, he's so dry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So at a certain point I just I just kind of whispered to Sophie, like, wow, Vance is a really dry speaker. And she kin she kind of like nodded awake and and started and started started like nodding her head in agreement and repeated the same thing to us. And I asked her, you know, like, well, who do you think would have been a better pick? And she said, well, I don't know. I just expected Advance to be a better rhetorical speaker. And that was all she would say. And I feel like that was kind of generally the vibe. Like something else. I noticed that he was like, actually, okay, and you know, the certain things he was talking about, you know what he was actually saying, you know, there were certain things that were interesting. It was more like the way he was saying it. It was it was specifically. He had no ability to do crowd work. He was just reading out the teleprompter and kind of doing a slight smile every thirty seconds, and that's all was. He wasn't actually really seriously engaging people.
Speaker 2: Make fun of the bits where Trump dances or whatever his little moves, but those play those work.
Speaker 6: Even like pointing out people using gestures kind of anything to connect you to the audience. Vance was just so was so dry, was so plain.
Speaker 7: I think the biggest action from his speech was just the people in the crowd who liked to chant.
Speaker 2: We were just really into chanting to chant ted Cruz gave him a great He like that. He kind of lost them early in his speech the night before and won them back because he gave them a chance to chair repeatedly went through they like that, they like to chat, they're chanters.
Speaker 7: Want to give us some of the chanting highlightscare.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he was definitely leaning into like his hillbilly or faux hillbilly background.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker, sorry, your parents made one hundred and seventy five thousand goddamn dollars a year speaking to somebody who grew up in a fucking rural ass Oklahoma, like fucking carpetbagger.
Speaker 6: That was what he was using for most of his speech. He was he was telling stories about the woman who raised him when his own mom was dealing with addiction, who he referred to as his.
Speaker 2: Mem uh huh and fucking god damn it.
Speaker 6: The first big chant I took note of is he told a story about how he was hanging out when he was like a kid or like a teen. He was hanging out with someone who was known to be like a local drug dealer, and his mem told him that if she saw him hanging out with that guy again, she was going to run him over in a truck run over the drug dealer and no one's gonna find out about it, and the crowd ate this up. They started chanting, me ma, me ma, So they were they weren't chanting about killing this drug dealer, right, they were chanting about murdering. They're murdering this drug dealer.
Speaker 2: Jd Vance never met a drug dealer in his fucking life. I'll tell you that one.
Speaker 6: So that was the first one. And the next little Bema story he told is that when she was a little bit older. He said that after she died, they found nineteen loaded handguns all over her house and they realized it's because she wasn't able to move very fast, so she always wanted a gun no matter where she was. She wanted to be in armslength the gun, whether that be in the cutlery drawer, by the TV remote, under the bed, because she wanted to protect her family even though she was old. And this this led into another another chance, specifically the nineteen loaded handguns just again went the crowd ate that up, and the crowd even sort of just chanting about how good they were at chanting. It became very self referential, very like patting yourself on the back.
Speaker 2: For chanting money. These people love chanting.
Speaker 6: And yeah, that was that was. That was most events is speech. It wasn't very good, it was too long. Almost unanimously people at the Heritage Foundation party did not like it. So they did not get that.
Speaker 2: One pseudo positive, which was the Fox News journalist.
Speaker 6: Who I'm sure is contractually obligated to like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and who the people there made fun of when he left.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: We talked to a campaign manager earlier at the at the Heritage Party just regarding kind of the race in general, mentioning stuff about the upcoming vice presidential debates, which the Trump Badman put out a statement saying they don't want to lock down any details on this until they actually know who the vice president's going to be sold on that, which is a good piece of propaganda and so and we were talking about that and and bringing it up to some of these people at the Heritage Party, like who do you think actually is going to be Democratic nominee? Many of them did not believe it was going to be Joe Biden. Many of them thought that it either could be an unknown candidate at this point or more likely probably kamalaw And this is something that I've been noticing is that every time in these speeches where they're talking about Joe Biden's policies, they're not just saying Joe Biden, They're saying Joe Biden and Kamala Harris's, well, well, Kamala Kamala Harris in one instance, Kamala Harris's policies. So they are already preparing to start shifting their rhetoric onto kamalaw That is something that the opposition's already planning to do. And you know, as as of today, which is which is Wednesday night, we've heard that both Biden made announcements in the same day that he would step down if he was to face this serious medical diagnosis, and he also got COVID.
Speaker 2: The same the look on your face when we told you that Joe Biden had COVID, you were you were thrilled. Okay, well we shouldn't say that either. Anyway.
Speaker 6: That is kind of a brief glimpse into the Heritage Foundation party. I guess that the vibes were more similar to what is I think well known now as the least good episode of The Boys, that private Tech night party combined with like a frat, a frat bro bar hop.
Speaker 2: What I'll say about this is they had an EDM track set to Country Road Take Me Home. I will say that like if you were to, if you were to put that side by side with the plane crash that killed the author of that song, I think he would agree with you. This party was worse.
Speaker 7: One worth thing I wanted to note was I did not go to the party for seven hundred hours like the two of you. I went home after all the speeches home. I went back to the hotel, after all the speeches.
Speaker 2: That country road take you home.
Speaker 7: That country road took me home to a place you belonged. And I had a very very very nice lift driver. Sir, if you're if you buy a sub chance listen to podcasts. You were very nice. Thank you. After what was a very loud day, there was a guy holding a rest in peace sign with the photo of the guy who attempted to assassinate the president, with the caption and American hero great stuff. Yes, I took a photo of it. And the amount of people leaving the R and C that just shouted their worst many slurs at him were countless. And I don't know if anything else happened further after that, but very strange choice.
Speaker 6: That is an interesting move.
Speaker 2: All I know is that based on the last postings of the victim of that shooting, Corey Comparatour, he'll get over it. The Japanese dead.
Speaker 6: Well, anyway, that wraps up our coverage this week of the Republican National Convention. We will lead next week with Trump's first public speech since the shooting. That'll be dropping Sunday night.
Speaker 2: Maybe just a little bit of mayor rudy, little sprink I'll seeze in some rudy as a tree. Some squeeze in like like he squeezed out some of that hair juice. That's right, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you for listening to our initial coverage of the RNC. We have more scripted episodes, more kind of polished deep dives about the people and conversations that we have had here in beautiful Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: And remember, folks, if you're going to take a bullet for somebody, Donald Trump does not care, not interested at it.
Speaker 6: He's not making the funeral, is not He is not going to show up at your funeral.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a loud chair, painfully loud chair. You know what else is painfully loud The Heritage Foundation Party. Anyway, We're done, good night, good night. Hey. We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 7: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.