Speaker 1: Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smoot and his son's shirt and Tantana moss Man. Kind of low key fit today but still looking pretty good. And guys, I got some exciting news today. Like what you saying about my SnSe it's pretty tight. It's like it's a kind of excessively tight.
Speaker 2: It's just it's a small golf shirt, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, man, come.
Speaker 3: On, junior shirt.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You know what you're saying, core Corey. It's Corey's shirt. You went in his glasses today.
Speaker 3: It happens because I can stay a Rocky.
Speaker 1: That's a good point though. All right, So I got some excited news. We are now sponsored, which is exciting. Yes, we I'm excited to do it. So we are brought to you by Bet three six five. At Bet three six five, we don't do ordinary, Fred, You're not ordinary never. We believe every sports should be epic, tannor You're always epic. That's what we are for in game experience, which covers over seventy eight sports. I can't even think of seventy eight sports. But we got bad about and over seven hundred and eighty thousand live stream to million customers worldwide are on line betting brand is powered by a world class proprietary product that sounds super fancy.
Speaker 3: You know what you did, go to u c l A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, proprietary, that's a big deal though. It is over seven thousand employees across the globe. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never already a bet three six y five the official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. Fred. You want to read that disclaimer real quick.
Speaker 4: Disclaim let me squint mins and physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 3: Please gamble responsibly.
Speaker 4: If you are someone you know has a gambling problem and won't help, call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, there we go. That's our first three. Guys. Congratulations, we did it.
Speaker 3: We did great thing about it. They sponsored get loud to.
Speaker 1: Do they really so it's just the same read you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I gotta go yeah. Oh, there's a QR code. That's all we bawled. QR code point down. All all right, guys, got to recap this Seattle Seahawks game. First, though, let's shout out our fan who said, what's up to us? At you. He said, what's up to you? Ten quinn?
Speaker 3: Quinn?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's awesome. And he came and said, what's really appreciated listen? Yeah, was that?
Speaker 2: What would have been was that we had a good time.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Was it around on Saturday.
Speaker 2: In Seattle on Saturday? And when I say you, the fans showed up and showed up. I'm impressed. Man, when I go on those trips man to the away games, just to see so many fans and some of the faces are familiar to him all over and over again. And we had the joke going. Jason could have tested this. We was going and we was like, bro, it's two people we see everywhere. What do they do for a living? Assume we walking and we've seeing those dudes and we just sitting there die laughing because I'm like, Bro, I was just talking about you, and I was asking about your job. One of them was the Road Warrior and rapping those two guys there. Yeah, Road war is only thirty seven years old. So I'm like, when you was in your twenties when I got here, Yeah, you was trapped a super fan. He said he had a job. I said, you must be a nurse or something.
Speaker 1: They go to the games too. Yeah, to the game, to the games.
Speaker 2: They go to three days man rally. Captain is in the front row at our home games. I'm not sure if I'm not sure where he since that for the away game, I'm not sure where the seats is that, But bro, he's They're really in the building. So I tell my hat off to those guys, man, because that's what makes you want to, you know, get behind this team and really see him do good. When the fans that's been around forever, ye're still riding. You're good.
Speaker 4: The bad and ugly they always woured. And plus a guy named Quinn. That's the last name, that's the first name. You can always trust a guy like that. Like if somebody got a first name a last name for a first name, they usually like a real grounded person.
Speaker 3: They were about to people like if you know a Nelson.
Speaker 1: Or something, I guess that Nelson's a pretty grounded last name, last first, first or all right, Well, so let's let's start high level.
Speaker 3: Time.
Speaker 4: I look up Jason Falling, like he got this thing in the office when we be doing me every time, like, Jay, do you need me to scoot up?
Speaker 3: He go out his way. No, don't you scoot this? Chirup? He go right behind me. Trip, dude, I can scoot. I guess he tried to fight this weight thing. I think I'd be like, you can fit through that?
Speaker 5: He like, yeah, of course I can't. He tried to turn someutway and trip, falling up the dough. Ever, in time he grabbed me this trying to hold on it's hair man.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of holding on, this team couldn't hold onto this win in Seattle.
Speaker 3: Stop listening Seattle.
Speaker 1: Let's let's start with high level thoughts. And I guess thet'll start on the defensive side of the ball. And Fred, do you want to kick us off? I will, Okay, let's go.
Speaker 4: We ain't stopping those bleed. It was one of them times. Listen to me like I'm about to push back. So the fights I with styles and when somebody just come in and bludgeing you.
Speaker 3: So I'm just saying this. I didn't see nothing we did well.
Speaker 4: I felt like some of them calls was on the spot. Execution is a different thing, and that's what we did not do. We did not execute two things we did on execute and finish, and those two things if you don't do that on defense.
Speaker 3: You don't give yourself a chance.
Speaker 4: We need to stop them fifty seconds logan fifty six at the end of the game. Yeah, and I know, but I'm just saying, fifty seconds you need to get in field goal range. I'm not mad if they trying to sixty one, you order, they mean, you at least stop them some. But for them to move the ball the way they did and with who they did, they're saying a lot to me.
Speaker 1: So I just want to push back one second. I mean, you said they didn't really do anything well, and I would argue that they did some good stuff on third down, and like when you watch the game, and I'm with you, like they're getting kind of beat up. You know, it's like here's a ten yard chunk, here's a fifteen yard chunk, here's a you know, here's a twelve yard game. Oh my gosh, that's three first downs, and all of a sudden, there's an incomplete pass. So there's a bad run. They get the third and four. They got off the field. They got off the field ten times in this game. And if you think about it, going into the fourth quarter, before that last drive, which was about six minutes left in the game. It was nineteen to nineteen. And for a defense that's not played well this year, I mean, I think there are thirtieth ranks ranked in the NFL at the moment. I mean, and again I'm not a defensive guy, but I look at that and I say, like, you held them to multiple field goals. You got off the field when you had to. And it's not saying it's because they were overly skilled. Sometimes they got lucky, Gino missed the pass whatever, I have to say, the end of half thing where he takes the intentional grounding, like, come on, what is that? But I think compared to what they've been doing.
Speaker 4: Come on, five hundred plus it was for four ninety eight, yes, come on, like but but as an offensive.
Speaker 1: So this is where I like, this is where I'm trying to get to, like a kernel of truth here, all right. And I remember when we were in twenty ten, we were the number number four offense in terms of yards per game, but thirty first in terms of scoring and yeah, and so we'd had all these yards and so I don't really care about the yards. And if the defense is holding you to punts.
Speaker 3: And what Pigsburg Steely does doing but they're not giving up points.
Speaker 1: But what they are doing is they're making explosive defensive play, turnover, sacks, all that kind of stuff, forced fumbles, flipping the field, and so they can do some stuff there that we are not doing. But as a defensive player, how do you quantify that? Like you come in on Monday and he say, man, it was nineteen and nineteen. What happened seven minutes left in the fourth quarter? Yeah, we did some good stuff on third down? What like, how do we feel about this game?
Speaker 2: Just giving up? Just giving up chunks at the wrong time. That's how I look at it. I think they played well. And one of the things, you know, I've said this so much now weekend and week out, play competitive football. They're doing that. But I think when it all balls down to you, when you're really watching the film, it's a player too. When somebody's not doing what they or somebody I can't say not doing their job, but not not going out their way to make a play when it's time to make, you play the play in front of you, make the play, make a clean play. And that's what it balls down to me, Like it's a tackle year, it's a pass interference here when you could have come off the field. It's in the wrong time of the game, part of the field, whatever may be. And it's been like that the entire year. It's like guys are playing well enough and then they just say I'm gonna break down to day. I'm gonna break down right now. This is gonna be my moment when I break down.
Speaker 3: You can't do that.
Speaker 2: We talked about this yesterday. The marginum era very small, and when you're a great team, you can have those head coups here and there. But when you're not, when you're fighting a clawing to try to get wins and trying to become five hundred.
Speaker 3: You can't have those mistakes. Hey, this way I used to love. I used to love watching the Yankees game, New York Yankees, and boy, when.
Speaker 4: They hear the call in the same man closer when it's time, I knew it was over. And when I watch good teams, they always got this one or two guys or three.
Speaker 3: Guys they closed the game. They closed the game. So I asked myself, who's the closers on this defense? And it's one of the things where you have to.
Speaker 4: Really look to say, Okay, I'm looking a little bit too hard right now. It might not be as many closes as I think. Like Cam Currow, I look at him as a close. Have you had those situations to close?
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good point though, Like Cam, I think is very representative of the defense. Maybe at the moment, like he's at ten tackles, he's maybe a PBu in there, but like nothing dramatic. And I look at like like this is because I watched the whole, the entirety of this game, the Baltimore Cleveland game, right, and you know, Cleveland's one of the best defenses in football, and they gave up explosives, they gave up first downs, they gave up touchdowns, They looked a mess, but in the fourth quarter got an interception for a touchdown, and all that stuff that they screwed up on is now. And so I look at this team and it's kind of what Tanna is saying. It's like the other way, right, It's like they did a lot of good stuff, got off the field on fourth down, held in the field goals, but the one touchdown they got in the in the in the in the first three three and a half quarters of football was a two guys missed a tackle right Failbot is not on in the right spot necessarily Russian the paster so ends up being a huge run for for Walker for a touchdown or catching run. Excuse me. And then all of a sudden you mentioned the fourth and five. Great job overcoming some adversity there. They gave up a twenty yard completion prior to that. You get to fourth and five, I feel pretty good about that, and then you have a defensive past interference and so there's no there. Every every I guess my point is every defense in the NFL has those negative moments, but it's can you overcome it, overcome it and make the plays when you got to make him and make it and make a dramatic play to kind of shift it in your favor, especially on the road, like.
Speaker 4: At one point we had the twelve man. We had them out of there, like you could hear a.
Speaker 3: Roach fard in there. It was quiet. You got to keep them right there.
Speaker 4: And then not only is it I just remember coming to huddles and defensive yeah, set on Springs, I got Sean Taylor.
Speaker 3: And were fighting over who Finn make this.
Speaker 2: I was gonna I was gonna add to that. I don't like cutting people off, but I had to hear it. You don't. That's what I was gonna say. Though it's not a playmaker. I don't see enough of plays being made to make a difference in the game. You understand, like sometime you're gonna play clean football. It's okay to play clean team football. You do your job, do your job. But then when you look on the other side of the ball with the sport was making play. This kid flew around me. He made a difference in I mean I watched the entire game and of time he made a difference in the outcome of that possession.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's what I don't see on our defense. And it's been week eleven and we're still looking for because you're in every game now, who's gonna make a difference. Say, man, let's get up off the field. I'm tired of being out here, you know, I'm tired of being on the field. I'm tired of letting this team go three going first down second. Oh, let's go get a picker.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's come to the herd and say we know where they Finna go with the ball.
Speaker 3: Guess what shade over top of me?
Speaker 4: I'm going down here like that's what a team does, that's.
Speaker 2: What they do.
Speaker 4: Aid they didn't call this play, I don't care. We know what throwing the ball at. Tell him, I tell him.
Speaker 2: I say tell this story so much because I can honestly say, and Logan is like a he's one of the best guy when it comes to breaking down right the other side of the offensively, defensively. He just know how to look at fim and just tell you something about what's going on that I haven't got from a lot of people who's not coaching on a high level. You know, I know he's coaching, but on a high level. But it goes to show you he played in the league. So most guys who played here who was under you know, good coaching staff, they able to learn and pick it up like that he did. But when we talk about offenses two thousand and five, six seven, that was the first time I was a part of offense that just said you're gonna get fifteen tempts, you're gonna get seven temps, he's gonna get twenty or more carries and one of y'all make a play. Yeah, and bro our offense won games. That week we went to the playoffs and five that week we went to the playoffs in seven that week, we didn't have much offensively but three guys, and we found a way to be productive. So when I'm watching these games, I'm like, now you come with all these big schemes, these big defenses, we're gonna do this is offensive schemes. You don't need to do it. Who's gonna make a difference, make a difference especially, And so that's what that's what we're missing. I feel like these guys are all capable, not saying that they can't go out and do what we ask we just haven't seen it done at a consistent basis.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to ask you something, Fred, So, like you were talking about kind of playing outside the scheme or bending the scheme to the players. Do you need guys with more experience to do that, like guys that have or is that just kind of I think it's a style of guys.
Speaker 4: I think it's a style of guy, a hunger of nature for the playmaking the hall. The hall, don't care about what you just called ye this dude, then ran three comebacks on me.
Speaker 3: I'll be damn if it's gonna happen again. So some players just it, guess what we play all of them Like.
Speaker 4: We'll go into a game and let's just Sean Taylor be like, hey dude, they finna try to do this play action. They're gonna try to hit this tight end at the backfield.
Speaker 3: It ain't my man. I need you to come over top for me.
Speaker 4: Oh I got you? What about your man? No, I'm I'm gonna get under your man. Don't worry about it. They gonna be able to throw it. So if you got to check him, just worry about the deed. There's people that play together and trust each other. There's people that's identifying that we gotta go make a play and guess what. Nobody cares what the play call was when we make that play.
Speaker 1: And did you have like a like a wide variety of defenses or was it pretty.
Speaker 4: No, it was it was straight forward streamline. This is how we were dictating the terms we played.
Speaker 1: You're kind of adjusting. You were adjusting the defense to what they were presenting, kind of like settle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, like the make they bing you today wheel And if you're gonna beat us doing what we do good. That's fine, that's fine, And I think that's what it takes. And I think you, I think it takes reps to learn how to play each other.
Speaker 3: But some guys haven't been together four years.
Speaker 1: But I mean I was thinking about it though, like you know, Saint Jesus is his third year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he'd been here with long enough.
Speaker 1: With these guys, I kind of well, I've always wondered though, Like you know, I had COOLi here in my rookie year, right, And so Cooley was the guy that would kind of give you the inside baseball like hey man, like you're getting off the ball and I'm like, no, man, I'm getting off on time. He's like no, like watch this film and he'd freeze frame and be like no, I see you're late. And I'm like why. My Lady's like, well, you know when the center snapping it and I was like, I thought I was on stapping on set. He's like, go talk to the center. So I went and talk to the center and he was like, I'm actually snapping it on like so it was white Ady, white Ady the s set and I was like a tenth late. You know what I'm saying, and so he they have like the tricks, you know what I'm saying. And I felt like when d Hall was here, he had the tricks that he could kind of give to Breshad Breeland and kind of there's that guy there that knows that they we spent there.
Speaker 3: Yah, somebody that was willing to change the play situation.
Speaker 1: That could help Perry Riley, that could help all those guys out. And I feel like even with offensive lineman, when you get that old war daddy in there, that's seeing everything, that's seen every pass rush move, he's got something for you that a coach doesn't have. And I kind of wonder, like, I know this isn't a young team, but it's young in spots in terms of experience, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Guest Cam would be that dude for me, But he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Play that way.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. He's not he's not in the position to kind of make some of those plays himself. Like he's he's coming up sign somebody coming up and making play. You have to play when when he's in the vicinity. But one of the things too, that you can say is too is just this goes back to Kyle Shanahan well of saying, hey, overcome coaching. I know I got you in this position. Now you go and be special like I told you. Like every time, like when you know we go. We have tons of discussions about what a cornerback should be doing, what a cornerback shouldn't be doing, why he's doing this because he's coaching or whatever it may be. But I'm like, I got that. I'm fine with that. But once I put your position, Now, what made Dion Dion?
Speaker 3: What made what?
Speaker 2: May re coach ain't saying don't do that. I remember being in the game when Ed Reed checked out of a coverage and Shoppy Fields beat Mike rump for for a game when a touchdown on us and coach bench Ed Reed the next week because of that, And the next week gets in the game the first play he picks off pick six. He's special. It wasn't his fault that Choppy Field's bomb.
Speaker 3: Mike run you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying, check and made sure that that damn dude who they threw the ball to the first time didn't get the ball. Now they say, oh, well we got Mike rump Man, the man that just throw this thing up here, Iron against Iron, whatever you want to say, Shops, Iron, all that, but Choppy Field was the better player that particular play. What I'm seeing a lot and this is like I say, we all play this game. We never was just great every time we stepped on the field.
Speaker 3: Nobody.
Speaker 2: We're gonna all have by moments. But the one thing that separates you from just being an okay player in this league talking about for everybody is the ones who make that special play that played or who got who gets to the caliber where those guys who's calling the game talk about you specifically because you're consistently making those plays week in and week out in that time of the game order for us to be a difference maker on defense, I'm not even speaking aout the offense because I say, like a offense, how high they moments where they just passing them of up and down the field. Someone's gonna make a play defensively, I haven't seen us go out someone go out there way and just make that play that's going to just put us or propel us to have that moment in the game where we say boom, that right there.
Speaker 4: Was That's the reason we wanted to go together. It's the reason nobody not wanting. We got some great on these defense players, but when we played Buffalo, I forgot the linebacker that just made the linebacker for Buffalo that may play to play to play to play. I'm like, he's the reason. Like sometimes you can point out, like Miles Gary, when I watch that Brown's defense, he's the like you can point out. Sometimes our group we can't. There's nobody just say, you know, that's the reason we win in these games. Now we can say it's a group that the reason we are.
Speaker 2: We been playing well, but we we haven't had that that just played that that playmaker that just like man, I got it. Yeah, and damn that boy right there. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So a couple of things. One, I love that you brought that up to because you know, Mike McDaniels a couple of weeks ago, it was like, are on the in some interview he said like, it's it's not about the coaching, it's about the players. And I think you guys are talking about that there right. It's about the guys that are like elevating and it's his job as a coach to elevate and make sure that happens, which I thought was really interesting and very relevant. But also I think like to your point, Fred, like one of the things that I kind of I really wish would have happened in this game is I felt like, you know, you draft Emmanuel Forbes to kind of we talk about the corners there. Second you said a little bit right to bump Benjamin Saint Jus into the nickel where he's been pretty good this year, and then keep Fuller on the outside, and then you get three guys who are more at home can make more plays. And and I really felt like Forbes in his five matchups with DK Metcalf, had a really good plan. Yeah, and I'm not saying the game is going to be different, but I but I felt like he had He looked like he was ready to go.
Speaker 3: No, he was rare.
Speaker 1: And then I think about Saint Juice in the slot and what that looks like. As you're talking about we're having a hard time passing stuff off, and I was thinking about and I was like, Saint Juice repped nickel this whole week. Yeah, yeah, and then now he's outside.
Speaker 3: After the third player, so all of.
Speaker 1: A sudden you get Danny Johnson there who hasn't reaped as much as Saint Juice, and then say Juice hasn't rushed there, And so I don't know, man, I just wish they could go back and play this game again to see what Forbes would have done, yeah, and to see how Saint Jeus would have done in the slought. No.
Speaker 4: I totally understand what it is, but I kind of take it to a right when we start a game, we don't know who gonna We know we all come in healthy, but we know we could lose a soldier and he'd just be out with a ham screen in two weeks. Well, I look at that ejection ejection the same way, like, all right, he got hurt. But I'm with you, I would have wanted to see that matchup as because I saw them playing a lot of two men against Seattle. And I'm telling you that plays into the real wave ofs of Forbes way more than it plays into the real waves of Saint Jews, because one hundred people used and the other one hunting picks.
Speaker 3: And now I ain't got to play high on the guy.
Speaker 4: I can go out here to just make play out, to play out to play you, right, A guy that's trying to touch the ball would have had a better day on him. But do we in turn see they're gonna get even take of it if four of his playing, do we stop the run?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: You know, so it's always a question to another question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that in those I think he had five or six snaps. He had three where he's matching up with Metcalf and it just like he was just anticipating what he was doing. So I was like, man was shattering him him. So cool to see if that would have played out. But you know, talking about the rest of the defense, obviously, that's when element the linebackers. I thought Jamon had a pretty solid day and again like nice to see his evolution defensive line. Quiet day, But I think John's playing better. I think Casey's doing some good stuff with John elevating him.
Speaker 2: I saw them. I saw him kind of doing some stuffy stuff. John John got called for one. Yeah, that was just kind of.
Speaker 4: Come on, But I'd like to see a guy trying to free you up again, So make a build with that.
Speaker 3: Jones, I thought, came in and it's my play.
Speaker 4: Made a couple of players in there, and uh, I just think I'm Jamin.
Speaker 3: I changed his middle name to L.
Speaker 4: Davis Elff letter F.
Speaker 3: The letter F.
Speaker 4: Jamin Man quietly is having his best year ever as a NFL pro.
Speaker 1: It's good man, I'm truly he's playing physical football, he's playing smart like he had there was a player. I didn't show it in the breakdown this week, but they're running wanda so outside zone away from the tight end, and the tight ends to the same side, so they're bringing across at action right and then they bring a jet sweep action. So when they do that, this is really complicated. But they're adding two gaps week and so Jamin as a you know, last year even would have just run straight play side a gap and the wold have been a huge hold the other side. He plays all the way back and makes a tackle for one yard game, and I thought that is a great maturation by him as a young football player. Also, guy, we got a shoutouts Percy Butler. Yeah, did a great job.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal.
Speaker 1: I mean he missed the one tackle, but I mean he made a ton of tackles, a ton of plays.
Speaker 2: He's playing with a different gear now to you can I mean he's always been reckless. Yeah, you know what I mean. But he's also now you can see that he's he knows what he's doing, and so he's he's flying around there and going out.
Speaker 3: And I like to see it.
Speaker 4: He just came down a little bit because at first he was that wow, it just all over the place, energetic, but he just calmed down and he letting the offense take him to the plays right.
Speaker 1: Now, and then we got we gotta kind of hurry up here. But let's talk about the offense real quick. You know. I think there was a lot of good things that the offense did, but it all happened kind of late. And I feel like everyeren says, other defense, they had eighty one defensive snaps. They couldn't get off the field. But I feel like there was a sequence in the first half of the offense outside of two explosive plays, to be rob wasn't really getting a lot done. And then all of a sudden, late in the fourth quarter, they come to life, make a ton of plays. Like what's the balance there? What are our thoughts on that group?
Speaker 2: It was stagnant for the most part, I think, you know, I mean, you hit a dead on the head. Those two exposive plays. You would have thought we had more production out of there, just especially that first one. You know what I mean. After that first one, I was sitting in the I was sitting in the little press boxing like, Okay, there's gonna be one of those days for us. These guys come to play. But then you know, it's like I said before, the same way where I saw on the defense, it's a player here when somebody's not doing their job, you know what I mean, you get a guy who comes through free for the most part, man, is what I'm what I'm enjoying watching and talking about maturation of players. Man. Sam is slowly starting to get it when he's seen when he like, you're seeing different guys, you seeing different fronts, and you're like, okay, they bringing five, they're bringing six, and then those two jobs dropped out. It's four guys coming. But you know it might not be the fourth guy that we thought so that one, that one guy we didn't pick up. He's finding that guy that dumped the ball off to that superb man for what we've seen earlier, you know, from what we've seen earlier this year. So I was happy to see that. I'm happy to see that we can be productive. I'm even more happy to see that late in the game he can go out there and be a young Airwoof. You know, I'm gonna go out there and show you all, guys why I'm called who I'm called. Why Fred gave me the name. We asked him about that last week too in the podcast on the All Players Club, which one of these names he liked? He loved Airwood. So just to know that this guy can really we could depend on him to be a playmaker too and bring us back in the game. I mean, what more can you ask for? But with all that being said, we still have to find a way that we can do what we're doing and be consistent with it. It seemed like that's the kind of that's the word I've been using the whole you.
Speaker 3: For next right now, at its finest, we could toss it.
Speaker 4: We need to be able to play bully ball when it's time to play bully ball. I think that's the next level in maturation of this offense. And what I'm gonna tell you what I do like about this offense now that I look at the schedule, this could have been the best defensive back field they were gonna face all year. I think that collectively, mixed with game plan the way they run it, this was the best defensive backfield. I thought Terry had spots in the game where he showed I could do whatever I want to against this defensive back field. I felt like the others. And when I say others, I'm just talking about.
Speaker 3: The Pringles of the world.
Speaker 4: The John Bates of the world leaked out and made plays. But then it's the dots In's of the world. This was a misery stick for a game for him too, going again because now the other number two corner is a stealer top corner. It was some individual battles on offense that we didn't win, but I was more high on the.
Speaker 3: Ones that we did.
Speaker 4: So when I started to line people up, I looked at the offensive line against this defense. Let not one of the highest SEC team, but they will get after you. I watched the offensive line hold up in spots. I watched, like I said, Terry get down the field. I watched him battle, But then it's these other people that come up missing. And in a game like this where everything is kind of equal, everybody got to kind of put they shoe in the head and say, you know what, I got my couple of players in here too, but we had some people that didn't come up and make plays.
Speaker 2: I was scared coming into the game talking about their offensive weapons on the outside, and I feel like Idb's did a great job for the most part, you know what I mean. You know that passing difference here and a bad play here, But I was expecting way more production from our guys. But the running backs had that day, so you know someone's going to have the day. We were still able to be productive, we just didn't finished the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think just high level. So you know, maybe a little disappointed with the receivers that they weren't more productive because but I do think that Seattle there's a lot of credit in the back end because I felt like EB came in and said, oh they run cover three. Here are our Cover three beaters, and Seattle knew how to match those.
Speaker 3: They did really well.
Speaker 4: I said, I think it's the best defensive back field we will see this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that's that's good. But you know, and I think the other thing is you said, ten, I just got to bring this up for the offense, is that despite kind of a sluggish start, sluggish you know, three quarters. Really they came out and they always give you a chance, like Sam. I think that's something about Sam that's exciting. You're always in the game. And we were talking about this the other day, like.
Speaker 3: This a year. It feel like this year.
Speaker 2: You know other thing too, that that that fumble took a lot of momentum from us. Man. I mean, you know how you saw something finna happen. I'm like, just go down when that's when I saw him getting spun, go down and then the ball just slowly found his way off out of his hands. So stuff like that, man, you really never know until it happens, and then you can still see the momentum just switch.
Speaker 4: But I can say this we down six even five minutes ago, we need to touch down.
Speaker 3: When Sam is on the field, feel good about it. I feel and give him what he goes right down, so it is real.
Speaker 1: And that throw at the end of the game, man was sick. Sick money the bests you've ever seen. We're brought to you by Bet three sixty five. Right now, new customers can choose between two offers when they open an account at Bet three sixty five, either the first bet safety Net one thousand or Bet five get one fifty, whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary at BET three sixty five, the official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. All right, Freddie, want to read that last wik.
Speaker 4: It must be twenty one plus and physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 3: Please gamble responsibly.
Speaker 4: If you are someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Great job, Fred, awesome work. Okay, So now let's get to the dig deeper section of this podcast. And so basically what our producer Jason did is he picked out a couple of stats which I think are really interesting, and we're going to kind of peel back the layers of the onion and figure out whether they're legitimate or whether they're they're spuriously correlated with something else. Yeah, okay, So the first one I think is awesome. It's Benjamin Saint Juice is tied for the NFL lead in defenses with fifteen What does that mean?
Speaker 4: It's good and it's Babe, ME tell you it's good because he's been between fifteen balls.
Speaker 3: That was submitt for wire receivers to burn him.
Speaker 4: He pbu's hard to get in the NFL bad because they got that many numbers of throws your way.
Speaker 3: It's a dominant number one corner.
Speaker 4: So at the end of the day, to get them type numbers, you must be getting that type traffic because top corners don't usually get that many chances to make plays on ball.
Speaker 1: So yeah, to that point, Fred like, oh, I looked up sost Carter. Yeah, right, And I was like, how many contested targets does he have? So that's ones where you can break it up potentially, right, and so he had twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's that seems like.
Speaker 3: A lot ten games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, that's a lot, you know. And I look how many think Benjamin sinjuce seys that like forty some seventy five? Thank you seventy five. They are hucking the ball at this man. And it's also important to note that in those matchups he does pretty good. But he draws right. Now, every week they find a way to put him on the best player.
Speaker 3: And guess what South Gordon every week is on the base player.
Speaker 1: Right, But he only gets how many targets twenty five?
Speaker 3: He ain't get talking because he's in the hills.
Speaker 2: They also know that Sauce Gardener has a knack.
Speaker 3: For the bull.
Speaker 2: He's a threatening They understand watching it watching Saint Jus that he's not picking nothing off. He's either gonna PIU or he's gonna pu He's gonna get a PBu. So why not keep toalks as a receiver. I heard your standpoint. As a receiver. Yeah, I'm gonna keep coach. I don't care less how many PBUs he got throw at him.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to throw at And I'm not saying it because you know, I think very highly as I just see at times he panics when the ball gets around him, and that's what costes him to have these attempts throw at them. Teams want to say, hey, he's he has great coverage, but he's gonna be you because he don't know how to just finish out the thing and finish, you know, finish to the place. So he has to minimize some of those those those moments where he's like to blow his gasket when the ball and hey man, it's calm, breathe easy, you're there, you got great coverage, You're there, you alone. Read the guy's eyes in his hands.
Speaker 3: It's so every time.
Speaker 4: It's so simple because he go the logic of teams. All right, Saint Juice is your day number one. But we're gonna stay away from Fuller because.
Speaker 2: You know why, because he gonna get the ball back, gonna get the ball back, and and he's smarter. He Fuller is a slow in the hall. So I'm just saying the hall was he was running with the best, Yes to the best. Fuller is patient. Man, I'll be watching for the some time. Like, boy, don't play with that boy. He making precise tackles. He's right there on the ball. He's like you, you have to be exact with him throwing the ball in his vicinity. So that's why you get what you get.
Speaker 3: And this the tale of it.
Speaker 4: Take it just like if a receiver getting one hundred catching I mean chances to catch a ball and he catch eighty. And then my other homeboy, he don't get a sixty five attempts and he catched sixty three.
Speaker 3: Who the better received?
Speaker 1: So yeah, the other thing I just wanted to ask about, because I think this is relevant, is the matchup. He draws a tough matchup. Every single week, you know, because because Sauce, like we're staying with this comparison, Sauce plays exclusively on the right side of the defense, right, he doesn't travel with the number one guy, and so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the side or whatever.
Speaker 2: You have been doing a little bit of that this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm saying it's Saint just just will play the slot, but following the best guy, he'll play outside for the best guy.
Speaker 2: To his credit, Saint juess credit, who else we want to put on put on those.
Speaker 1: I guess that's a good point, Yuess, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: So you're asking him to do what he brings to the dam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like my coach when I was at the Jets, spoke to the media and say, hey, oh yeah, I need my not to catch guy to you know, make more plays. And the meeting came right to me. Coach said that you need to make more plays. He just my name, but you're allowed the guy. Yeah, So you know that's that's how it is, you know what I'm saying. So he's the guy that he can do that.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna put him on those So what advice would you give him?
Speaker 4: I would Tanner said something, start to start to start to physically impose your wheel on games. If you're gonna give me the chance to check these number one, you're gonna give me a chance to showcase these guys, especially in the country here. I need to finish like he did against Drake London in Atlanta. No paddick in Atlanta. But then you get with DK Metcalffe and now you're diwt in yourself a little bit. And the one thing about corners, we can't hide how we really feel because you can see it on the field, all right, Finish the play.
Speaker 3: Because he's the one thing I can say about him. He never had a phase. Now he never He's always in phase. He's there playing them. Finish the play.
Speaker 2: It's two things I would say, Finishing this one because you know, I love to watch the end of a lot of plays that comes to our passing game or anybody's passing game, to see how that receiver, how calm he was when the ball cat got that to him, and how that defensive back, how calm he is. And I was a guy I'm late hands like a month, I'm gonna be running a round and not that I see the ball behind your head and I ain't showing you nothing their eyes or none. And in the last minute, I'm either gonna jump over you or you know, because you know defensive best when you when you in your bag as a defensive back. You got to the point to where you cannot even have to turn. I'm gonna look at your expression on your hands, if the eyes. And I played on a long enough at a old enough age to understand that when I see that guy go to do this, I'm just gonna get right between the hands. I ain't got to touch him this. When you get between one of the hand, they gotta make every catch hard. You make that hard catch, culose to you. You made it because I made sure that other hand didn't get up. So what I would say is one finish better, bro, Just kind of get into your thing, you know, off season, because right now we kind of too late in the season to start reading the expressions, the eyes, the different things like that, and before you even finish, start find a way to slow guys down before they get into their routes. We're talking about this all the time.
Speaker 4: He's too long, six three, too fast, too big to not.
Speaker 2: Put hands on everybody he in front of and The only reason when guys don't do that is because they respect you too well and know that man if I miss made me look bad, so stop having respect.
Speaker 4: At the end of that game, the last play with DK Metcalf. If you tell me it's two man, I'm inside. First of all, I'm jamming him. Finna make him run the.
Speaker 1: Hump you're talking about on the post I'm talking.
Speaker 4: About on the posting end the game, I feel like, and that's that screams press and not only press jump I'm talking about I'm jumping in your.
Speaker 2: Chest because you got help my responsibility, your responsibility.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I'm.
Speaker 4: Attacking Mississippi to Mississippi. I think he needs to start.
Speaker 3: Using them God giving gifts that only he has.
Speaker 2: Look, I understand when you man, I don't want to press everybody. When I'm man like, it's a corner. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna miss, but I might get in front of you enough to slow you down before you because he's long enough to do it. But in two men get up there be overly aggressed. Overly I'm talking about I saw Forbes do it last week, and I'm like, that's what I've been wanting. To see from DV because it happened to me so much, you know how you know, you know you want them kids that your mama beat you so bad or so much to where when your brother got a whooping.
Speaker 3: Like you deserve everything.
Speaker 2: Like That's how I am as a receiver watching the game now, Like I'm kind of bitter to see these guys have so much free access. I'm like, God, damn, I ain't get that treatment, you know what I'm saying, Like I wish I was going. I can see why you got all those numbers. You got free access. So when I see our guys be be you know, lean into that and not not you know, allow guys to get off and do what they do. You know, it frustrates me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Be true to talk to like more recent cornerbacks, no offense, Fred, but.
Speaker 4: Try to say the guy because I would say this my generation of football.
Speaker 2: Don't forget.
Speaker 4: I came in while Jerry Rice and Tim Brown and were still playing with my classmates. Then we had to check the t os of the world, the random mouse of the world.
Speaker 3: These boys, I said.
Speaker 4: I think we played the golden age of why receivers stop. I'm just telling you that, so more yellow jackets in my group of guys.
Speaker 3: We had to check the any group of guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But what I was gonna say, and this is maybe a conversation for a different show, is basically that now receivers are so polished. They're so polished at every level of the game. I think about seven on Seven's right, you do seven on seven since you're five years old. And I'm training receivers in high school cantenna that are thirteen, and they're like, they know stuff that I didn't learn till year five of the NFL. They were accelerated. So I wonder, I wonder this is just one of those type of I wonder if if that's changing the calculus for them in terms of pressing versus not.
Speaker 2: This could be right, and I think I don't disagree, but I'm just curious because when you look around the league, pressing is down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bring up. You're right.
Speaker 2: But the one thing that I can't understand is if I see you and two men and you in the face of a guy, why not take advantage of having help and knowing I could.
Speaker 3: Just I could just blah blah blah do it what I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Like you know what I'm saying, and not just my question with that.
Speaker 4: I think the wide receivers are still wide receivers. I just think at the end of the day, the defensive coordinators and what the techniques that they're teaching a little bit general laxed, Yeah, a little bit more relaxed when we was a little bit more aggressive that.
Speaker 2: Property because of the game. You can't do so much with your hands, you know.
Speaker 1: The holdings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you touch somebody, you know the game, you know.
Speaker 2: But like I said, man, like, that's all I want to see from him because I think he's great and I've been a fan of him. I think the world of him. Uh you know, especially and I'm not just saying this, but when you have that many pbu's and they're trying you in, kudos making them plays, but it's the plays when you don't make that you don't make in the plays that you're making that that don't count because of you using something that you didn't have to use, building on the guy or just nothing up, you know what I mean. You can't nut up under pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so another guy that kind of so Forbes Obviously we are not Forbes full or Saint Juice there we go, I think is uh, you know, maybe not the best performance, but the guy guy that we're confident. We're confident his skill set totally company and hopefully that he'll be able to improve the next ploe because we've seen him have really good games and see him play well, specifically against the Giants. I mean, that was one of the best games he's had this season, probably in his career. Can you repeat that again this week?
Speaker 4: So see that that game two, the Giants game is a Michael cosm of what's going on. He made all of those plays and then he didn't make the one that.
Speaker 2: Need to be making one, and then and then one of them they gave to the dude.
Speaker 3: They gave it to him. But I'm just saying that it's the timing of when you play making.
Speaker 1: Happen und percent. So yeah, we'll keep an eye on that, keeping on his development, and bring that up on the show as we see fit. Another guy that I think is maybe a little more positive at the moment is Brian Robinson.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He looks dynamic, Yeah, in a way that I wasn't expecting. So as of right now, he's nineteenth in the NFL and rushing yards with four and twenty five, which is way higher than I thought it would be. And he's the seventh running back and receiving yards with two hundred and fifty six. Yeah, what are your thoughts on him? What do those numbers mean to you? I'll start with sentient man.
Speaker 2: Just just think about it. You say, he's nineteenth in rushing yards and he haven't been the man leaving games with eight carries. I mean, give him a chance, but not even staying. Give him a chance. You know when we do have those opportunities, I understand why E B goes away from it a little.
Speaker 1: Bit because it just not looks superficial.
Speaker 2: It's not looking efficient enough. It's not what you call it. They have a term that they use when it comes to that play. Was this because of the chances of making the play?
Speaker 1: Success rate or you get success rates?
Speaker 2: So I look at the success rate of some of those runs, I'm like, yeah, that's why we're doing friends. No, honestly, because I'm with you, it just looks like a crowd in there, and that no one just trying to get in the club. But as a playmaker as a whole, no one thought he would be this dynamic is a pass catcher. I mean we saw, we saw that he had that skill set, but we didn't think that it was going on because you see so many guys that have this opportunity in this offense in Kansas City, they had a different kind of frame, they had a different kind of style of run. But even that we have those guys on this team, he's out playing them, he's out doing them because he understands, look, men, this is my way to still be productive. So coach leave me in.
Speaker 1: I can do it, you know, and just also like to toot our own horns and give ourselves some recognition. We did say he could leave the team in touchdowns and could be the m v P this year. Offensively. Yeah, no, we all said that we agree to that.
Speaker 4: And I remember watching him at training camp and we were like, he finlna get the ball in a couple of different ways. In the crazy part about it, we would have thought it would have been more Russia than receiving.
Speaker 2: Right now, I feel like we have so many other guys that can do what he's doing.
Speaker 4: I can tell you this when I watch film always, because the great backs do it all the time.
Speaker 3: They leave DB's in their wake. They leave us like on the ground.
Speaker 4: Like if you look at film of a great running back catching or running, it's u the dB scattered all over the ground. When I watched this violent guy run violently, he leaves DV like they're not trying to hit him. Tell him I watched three guys trying to cut him lower and seattle And that's a physical defensive backfield right there, and they refuse to hit this man.
Speaker 3: But below the I mean above.
Speaker 4: The way they tell you how powerful he is, how skillful he is, and it only brings up the question what if he touched the ball at least fifteen times a game.
Speaker 3: Catching and running, what does his numbers look like? Then?
Speaker 4: So he leaves that big old void of what if. But we know how the play calling of a game can go. You came in wanting to do this, but once you get in the game, you got to get do you know, with the other team given up?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also think like when you look at teams that are really efficient to run the football, they're built a little differently. They emphasize stuff a little differently, Like you know, this was not a priority for this offense this offseason. They didn't do a lot of running during OTA's in mini camp, which is what most teams do. That's fine. They've prioritized the passing game, They've prioritized SAM development. I think that's all, Especially the sam development part. I think that's the right thing. But teams that are good at running the ball, like even like look at Seattle, they don't take a lot of negative runs because they really strive and work and strain to get good angles and make sure guys know what how to handle different looks because really that's the hardest thing in the run game. It's it feels very defensive in this way. Like when you talk about defense being reactive. A good run game is reactive because I can present a four man front. I can present a five man front. I can present two linebackers in a safety. I can present two linebackers and two safeties. How do we block those looks? And so getting getting that repetition and getting those looks, getting that communication and having the tools in the run.
Speaker 3: You've been watching for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a big different pass wise. Yeah, since Chris Paul and Lous how has it been in the run gain.
Speaker 1: I think you know, Chris is a young football player, and I think one of the things that coming out of Tulsa, I think is where I went to school, Yeah, was that he was a little bit raw. So there's times where you see him not understanding, hey I need to sit on this double team a little bit more, or hey i'm out leverage on the double team. I need to leave early. Yeah, I need to take a better angle. And so that's stuff you see with young offensive linemen in the run game because it's reps. It's like seeing the combinations, understanding the combinations, understanding how much time I have. So I think he's still working through some of that stuff. I also think, you know, in this game, for example, I thought it was great that the most successful runs were outside zone runs, which we don't run a lot of. But I like that he's changed it up. Eb got to some different play calls, and the runs were targeted correctly. You know, we got everybody hats on, hats, guys covering guys up and then that's what you see this group can they're physical upfront, they're fast up front.
Speaker 2: I was going to actually about that because I was going to say, like, at some points in a game, when we have those runs as early go nowhere, get nowhere. And then you saw late in the game we had both of those guys had two or three runs that was just exceptionally well ran well had you know, plus Yachtist. I'm like, what's the difference from when we ran them Dean and we ran those guys before, or did we not run the same runs?
Speaker 3: I think they were different runs.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we so we ran our runs that we normally run, which is WANDA, which is open side run away from the tight end pop GT. We run those a ton and they not a lot of sledding on the ground there. They were ready for it. And so also, I think this whole offense is built around throwing to open up the run run, and so you see kind of the benefits of that late in the game because everyone's defending the pass. Yeah, you get better boxes.
Speaker 4: The dean is ready to pass rush, you run off tackle. Like you said, now, the linebackers were snug to the line. They waiting on crossing routes now, so yeah.
Speaker 1: You get nickel versus base defenses right, and you can move the ball really well. And so the thing I just want to say is like when they target run correctly and the combinations are clean. They run the ball, well, it's just about how maximizing that. To me, it's just a rep's thing, right, So if you want to be robbed to run the ball more, it's like we need to clean up, We need to we need to emphasize that more in the week or in the off season or whatever.
Speaker 4: So now you you said that we all picked him to lead the team in a touchdown? Do you remember who I compare him to Arian Foster?
Speaker 3: You didn't.
Speaker 4: You didn't see it then, but after one hundred yards receiving one.
Speaker 2: That very I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I think it was on the same page.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I feel what you're.
Speaker 3: Saying because y'all remember him. I don't know if y'all.
Speaker 2: I just think Arian Foster had that glide, had that glo. By this stuff and foot in the ground.
Speaker 4: Be size wise, they're the same because b Robb is not small.
Speaker 3: He's not small.
Speaker 2: Arian Foster played for the Texans, right, played for the Texans. They had that Remember he had that cut.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, he had a gallop on him. But smooth bodies could could bump off of people, kid break tackles.
Speaker 3: It was dead type of dude. So most definitely I thought Aaron Foster was a great cump full.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm excited for him each and every week. It just shows that he can do more and more in this offense. And hopefully they do find kind of a rushing identity and something that works for him earlier in games, so he gets more touches and I think that would also help the defense a little bit.
Speaker 4: And then why I say fifteen touches again, I don't care how you diving them up right, fifteen I should never lead a game, and he ain't touched about fifteen.
Speaker 1: He's shown an ability to be a playmaker and that's exciting. And someone else who's shown a tremendous ability to be a playmaker is Sam Howe. Okay, so this is a long stat so just to miss which only the eighth player in NFL history to have four games of three hundred yard passing in the first eleven career games. Okay, the first to do it since Show Burrow and Justin Herbert in twenty twenty three consecutive games with three hundred plus passing yards, the most consecutive games of three hundred plus passing yards for a Washington QB since Kirk Cousins in weeks fourteen to sixteen of two sixteen. So obviously, yeah, dude's playing good football right now. It's something something, Yes, it's something. So what are our thoughts about him? And that statistic doesn't mean anything because if I was a hater, which there are haters in the national media, so I'm just gonna pair it what they said.
Speaker 3: He used to be a hater.
Speaker 1: They're saying that all this volume from a passing game is leading to these inflating statistics, kind of like he's playing in the air raid in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically trying to say, like, basically he Kirk Cousins getting garbage time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not even garbage time. It's just worth We throw the ball seventy percent of the time.
Speaker 4: But he still got him throw it on point. He's still gotta recoveragees. As matter of fact, it's set up for him to have more ERA than the average quarterback because think about this, uly, when a quarterback comes into the game for his first couple of starts, we do everything in this world to hide him, like we do everything in here to protect him with the run game.
Speaker 3: We try to protect him with a good defense we have.
Speaker 4: Said, Sam, howe, here, here goes everything, not somethings here, oh everything, And he's excelled and gotten better weekend and week out.
Speaker 3: They can say what they want to buy, my boy.
Speaker 4: Sam snow the philth brown bastard.
Speaker 3: He will not be stopped.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, you can say what you want them if you do them, if you don't. But you look at it like this. There's been many of quarterbacks put in this situation where they had to throw the ball, and we haven't been saying the song thing. We haven't been saying the same thing about how accurate they've been. Wow, did you see that, Maria? Did you see that that clutch stroke at that moment of the game. Wow, you see him throwing to that lane, throwing to that whole. So yeah, you can talk about when is he's throwing it, how much volume it is, But you got to complete the pass, You got to give the receiver a nice ball enough to make the play. And he's done all of that. So they can screw themselves with all that.
Speaker 3: You know, because they want to. They want to find out a reason why why.
Speaker 2: Now everybody will reason.
Speaker 1: Well, also, I think to Tennis point, those haters, they don't watch the games, because if you watch the games, you see a guy who, over the course of the season understands it's a hot situation, the baldy's toe out of my hand, or hey, this is how I manipulate the safety, or hey, let me just deliver like one of the best big time throws of the season. Yes, and a critical moment against Seattle over to you know what I'm saying. Like he he delivers the goods And I think that's something so like those like the numbers, I think are great, but I think when you watch the down to down stuff, you're like, this is this is this could be something special. And I think that's why there's this conversation about him.
Speaker 4: And that's why I hate people. They will judge you about your draft status so much. I don't care. After you get into the league, I don't care what pick you were. Like at the end of the day, they holding the fifth round against him like they do any I'm sorry, the top ten quarterbacks they get drafted four out of one out of four might make it.
Speaker 3: We just happened to find our guy in the fifth round.
Speaker 1: Taking to leave it, yeah, I think. And that's the other thing is people forget that he was going to be the first quarterback selected and he slipped in the draft a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happens.
Speaker 1: And I understand why he slipped, Like I was part of that group that was a value way to him, and I said, oh, maybe this is why. Whatever, whatever, But I think you see it now and he's exceeded expectations. Yeah, he's showing he's a pros pro. He's showing a composure, he's showing a leadership.
Speaker 2: That's all it's about.
Speaker 1: He's done all that stuff, man, And like you said, Dan, every week, especially for the last couple of weeks, he just delivers those big time moms.
Speaker 3: The ceiling continues to rise for him.
Speaker 2: It's not like he just thought he's going out there just winging it, and you say, like, damn, he threw five balls over these guys head or through five balls in the vicinity, but it just didn't get there. You know, he's completing those passes.
Speaker 4: And it's so funny because c J Scribe, which I was a big fan of number two pick balling.
Speaker 3: Is he in the MVP race? I don't see Sam holing the MVP race.
Speaker 4: Last time my check had more yards and touchdowns than he did.
Speaker 3: See this. This is what I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: They got this this prom queen thing in the NFL with dram picks, like they want to make Meo Kappa right, They want to make him right and everybody else wrung.
Speaker 2: But it's also to I mean, just to the you know, chime in a little bit on that CJ. Stroud situation. He took a team, I mean that team they're winning games to garbage last year and now they winning games. And then he's young, he's a rookie that's playing like that. So I can see why they're talking, you know, him being MVP, you know caliber or whatever.
Speaker 1: We brought to you by bet three six five. Get your straight bets paid out or parlay selections marked as winner when your team goes up by seventeen points regardless of whether the opponent comes back to win the game. FRED.
Speaker 4: That's mean, if any point of this game they go up by seventeen, I.
Speaker 3: Get that break.
Speaker 1: I guess so money, money, money, That sounds pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this year, teams have gone up by seventeen points and we've paid out nearly fifty two times this season as of eleven nine. That's awesome, man. So if they're up by seventeen points, money point.
Speaker 4: So that mean when we played the Broncos and they was upset and we can't make the win.
Speaker 1: Out Four times this season, both money lines have been paid out because of NFL early payout and the end result in the game. One of the four was the Commander's Game, which you just said, f It's almost like you read ahead of the string.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't. It hit me.
Speaker 4: No, it hit me that we was down a lot of points and came back with the young air.
Speaker 1: So, whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary at bet three six y five. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary at bet three sixty five. Bet three six five. The official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders must be twenty one and physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly. If you were someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: Go Bruins.
Speaker 1: We did it.
Speaker 3: Go got through that.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. I knew did u c LA was a junior cobit.
Speaker 1: And so now we're doing Never tell me the odds, right, okay, all right, let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Boys.
Speaker 1: Never tell me the odds, all right, so huns odds?
Speaker 3: Who made it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, So do you remember the quote. What's the context?
Speaker 4: Well, the droid was telling him the odds of them making it through the asteroid fields. Yes, it is, and then he turned around and say, never tell me the eyes.
Speaker 1: Han Sol said it. Yeah, man, I got I gotta review that a little bit. Okay, So I'd just make the playoffs this year at four and six or roughly six percent. If we say we got a chance if yeah, if we were in the next two games, so we beat we beat the Giants, we beat Dallas, ye will be a thirty percent. So talk to me about that. It was a fiel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what if it was, We'll all be drunk. Then what it is? You don't know?
Speaker 1: That's saying you know, but it's most I mean, like, this is something that coaches used to say to me all the time. Worn say to us, Yeah, it's like, hey man, we're still in.
Speaker 3: Guess what we are like no matter how bad it looks.
Speaker 4: Now, if we ever gonna beat the Giants, it has to be now like it wouldn't it would never be another. The veto under centered to give us this chance. I'm telling you now, the Cowboys, I'm not worring. We always play up time party. That doesn't it will not shock me if we beat the they would not shock them out, all right. Yeah, So I'm just saying making it back to fire. Once you back to five hundred, with so many games to go, you got a legit chance to make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And think about who were going against.
Speaker 4: It knows we're going against who the Saints, Saints like the seventh Yeah, I'm not just saying, look at the teams that we're going against to.
Speaker 3: Try to get that.
Speaker 4: All right, So the Minnesota with Josh Robs, So these are the teams. It's very good chance. Tell me the odds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they you know, if the defense plays a little bit better over the next couples, which they might. I know it's late in the year for them to start improving, but.
Speaker 3: You can always get better.
Speaker 1: I think that Sam, the Sam thing is big for me. Sam's playing good football, having a good quarterback.
Speaker 2: No, I'm that dude man jumping the gun. No, we're not jumping any gund I know the odds, what you're saying, But I'm like, I can't look ahead. When I got the giants who we ain't beat yet, I kept about danging to beat Oo Timmy, to Beatole whoever. We gotta beat these dudes first. When you beat these guys, then we started talking about Thanksgiving and what we may do up there.
Speaker 3: What's your percentage of? But it's finally beating the giants this week?
Speaker 4: Do you you think it's an eighty percent chand we beat him sixty chands fifty?
Speaker 2: Where you at, look where I'm at. They just better beat them. Ain't no percentage, You better beat them. At the end of the day, they got a numerous of guys. That's that's ill right now, that's hurt. They got to beat old people. You got to beat Ole who Everybody saying he can't do this and can't do that. But it just be all luck. Did he go out there and look like a damn world beat us? So I'm not into that. I don't like this. I don't like to blow smoke.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna talk about smoke. There's five and we're gonna talk about that more on our Friday pods. Make sure you check that out. But I Basically, what we're saying here is that and this is what I if I was to coach the team, Yeah, I'd be like, hey, how's it gone? Great? But we're still in it. We got to handle our handle our business. Business, handle our business. Let's beak the giants and then we'll see where it goes from there. But you're not out of it yet. Got to win some football games. And to me, as a player, that's all you can ask.
Speaker 4: From May the Veato look like an actor, make him look like an actor trying to play football?
Speaker 2: Make football player?
Speaker 4: No, that man has been thrust into the light and for something he didn't ask for. Listen, I don't know what's worse in the NFL right now, the backup lineman situation, the backup quarterback situa, both bat they are terrible right now.
Speaker 1: I totally agree, I think, But yeah, it'll be an interesting opportunity to kind of check that out. And again, gotta win football games and hopeful get that done. So, fred I got a.
Speaker 3: Question for you, anything you want to know.
Speaker 1: I'm so I saw you for the show next week, for the show on Friday, we're doing a pie bake off. I saw you coming with the pie.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I had a question about your baking prowess. No, not your baking prowess, your farming prowess. Okay, and your process? Yes, yes, How how like smarter you in terms of renewable stuff?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 1: I'm very smart? How smart planet? So let's talk about it real quick. Why you say your captain planet?
Speaker 4: Because I love the planet one. I'm a big uh.
Speaker 2: Listen, he gonna think about I'm listening.
Speaker 3: I like to recycle.
Speaker 4: I'm a big on resekay, and I'm big on come post and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So recycling, can you talk to me about your recycling process?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Like, what do you do? You just recyclable?
Speaker 4: Well, really, recycling is nothing but separating garbage from recycled bowls, recyclabobbles, plastic glass in.
Speaker 3: A certain card box. So what I do is in my in my kitchen, I got three garbage cans. I got three.
Speaker 4: Garbage cans, one for like food and trash like that. Then, but my recycl was I don't play with that. I want that separated, I want it clean. So for instant, let's just say we got a mayonnaise job. I'm not throwing them, as John, I'm gonna wash the Manai's job first, that's the etiquette. Wash it so when you put it in there, it don't smell, it, don't reach.
Speaker 1: So, Tanna, is glass recyclable?
Speaker 3: Yes? Is it is?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Is it? Fro, don't ask me out there? Everything in garbage.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that glass is recycled.
Speaker 3: I know they do.
Speaker 4: They refresh, they clean it, and they can't they can't break it back down to liquid and reshape it and make more liquid.
Speaker 1: What the hell you talking about? It's sand right, yes, but guess what it starts out.
Speaker 3: It's looking before it hard molten molten.
Speaker 1: Okay you're saying, but I don't know about this class thing. So we actually have an expert here, Ross, Yeah, Ross, Guberman is an expert in recycling, and so he's gonna join us and we're gonna ask him some questions about Yeah, that's what we brought him in. You thought he was a special guest. No, he's here. We've brought him here. We brought him here because I knew you were full of malarkey. So Ross, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: LEAs can be clean, It can be.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it can't be cleaned, but.
Speaker 3: And you can probably see it back to the same as that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's why Ross is here. Ross. Are you so Ross? What is your official title?
Speaker 6: My title is Senior Vice President of Sustainability at RTS RTIs.
Speaker 1: So that's a pretty So Fred, you're sweating now.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Look at look at him, look at his.
Speaker 3: Hold on, let me get no eye not.
Speaker 4: I'm doing it from the consumers, the customers side of recycle.
Speaker 3: So he's doing it from the top.
Speaker 1: He's here because he's gonna tell us what Fred said. Was there anything factually incorrect about what Fred said? With regards to his recycling process.
Speaker 6: The process of cleaning it all is spot on. You gotta clean your exactly.
Speaker 1: No one's disputing that.
Speaker 6: Nothing there. The glass, that's a tricky one. One I would say, try to reuse it. That's a higher, higher use for it. The recycling is really tricky with glass. It gets broken down. A lot of places don't want it. In Virginia, you need like those special purple bins, usually for grass recycling, although wise it's kind of trash.
Speaker 1: Did you have do you have a special purple bin? I'm for your recycling.
Speaker 3: We need idiots, definitely.
Speaker 4: We've been recycling making.
Speaker 1: So that's that's not that's not recycling, that's reusing.
Speaker 6: That's a higher use.
Speaker 1: That's a higher use. So when you say higher use, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 6: So you want to think of the highest and best use for materials? One, can you reduce using it in the first place? And then you go down the kind of list can I repair it? Can I reuse it? All the way to it kind of get recycling, which I think is the end of the line before you have to.
Speaker 1: And so why so glass is not super recyclable.
Speaker 6: This is really heavy and like there's there's not really a market for it. Like sometimes you'll see shiny like sidewalks or road because they put glass in some of that. So they use it as filler and concrete and stuff like that. But there's not tons of great use for glass. So if there's not a market for it, there's not really an economist to recycling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so we in addition to giving you a hard time about your lack of recycling knowledge, but to be fair, before I talked to Ross, I didn't know that glass was kind of borderline recyclable. We got a game today, So you do a lot of stuff at the stadium, right, Ross, Yes, yes, And so we are going to do a quick game. How would you describe this game? Jason? You had a good name for it, catch phrase, right, And so basically we will go around the group and say things we think are recyclable at the stadium as a consumer. Okay, So I who wants to start?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm always good herd Okay, you're gonna start?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So okay, so and Ross is gonna judge it. So Jason, we just go real quick through the whole thing, or how do we do it?
Speaker 3: Five seconds?
Speaker 4: My number one recyclable thing at the stadium the plastic beer cup?
Speaker 3: Is it? If they do the beer snaked? All?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: That the cup is not getting recycled?
Speaker 3: What what? Now? I knew a lot of recycling was getting sent to a japan.
Speaker 1: One whoa calm down.
Speaker 6: Recycling used to go overseas.
Speaker 1: So I'm blown away by that plastic cup is not getting recycled.
Speaker 6: Plastic cups are recyclable, but when it's standing mixed with all this other stuff, it's not gonna get recycled. Usually at the facility.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Okay, so I'm gonna say you're out I guess according to Jason, you're out of the game, You're done, Like, I don't know how this when we got to I'm gonna say, I'm gonna do they sell metal beer cans at the stadium?
Speaker 3: Jason, Yeah, illumine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say an aluminum beer can would be recyclable.
Speaker 3: May you action, Jason?
Speaker 1: Cause I never I never been to a game like I guess as a as a fan. I watched the game in the press box.
Speaker 3: What they serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never.
Speaker 1: Got into concessions. If you got concessions, I go up to the press box.
Speaker 6: Presuming that bottle is empty and free of the liquid, then yes, recyclable.
Speaker 2: Okay, my question will be the food, the little carton food tray.
Speaker 3: It's our ratary, it's cardboard.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like like styrophonm carton type of.
Speaker 6: So it is recyclable, but it's not getting recycled here because it's mixed with food, is missed with other stuff. Most people are probably putting into the trash with all their.
Speaker 1: Other right, yeah, so so it's not good. So the only way to get that to be recyclab to be if it's clean.
Speaker 6: So for recycling to get recycled, it to be clean and free of contamination.
Speaker 1: At me, what I say it, They're from the dough so I win the game.
Speaker 2: So tell me so tell me. So when we're home, right, and they have these big old containing these garbage containers and saying you need to recycle the stuff that you use. Why is it that we recycling all this stuff that's not clean, that's not going to be recyclable.
Speaker 6: That's more that means you're recycling wrong.
Speaker 2: But who talking about this is the first time I've heard that the stuff that people telling you that to recycle, you can't use it if it's been contaminated.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's and it's been all over the.
Speaker 2: So I've been doing the right thing.
Speaker 6: Actually, that's that's true. Also, if you're not going to clean it, it's better to go in the trash. It's if it goes to the facility dirty, it just takes more money.
Speaker 3: You Actually, somebody don't say that. Don't say thank you for smooth?
Speaker 1: Why are we thinking you?
Speaker 3: Because I said that is the number one thing you said.
Speaker 6: One thing is can I reduce what I'm making the first place?
Speaker 1: Reduce what you're making? So what's an example of reducing what you're doing.
Speaker 6: When you go to the grocery store, you see things that are packaged five times in plastic bags. You know, can you buy something different? Can you buy something that's loose?
Speaker 3: You know that, can you buy stuff?
Speaker 6: Can you get refills?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: You're thinking about your consumption habits are probably that the best choice you have.
Speaker 2: So it's better to reuse it than recycle it.
Speaker 6: You reuse and then recycle.
Speaker 3: Coffee beans stop.
Speaker 1: You don't want to grow coffee. So so one thing I wanted to ask you about. So at the stadium, we were talking about recycling at the stadium. One of the things you guys are thinking about implementing there is a thing called cycle. Is that correct? Can you explain what that is?
Speaker 6: Cycle? Buy ERTs. It's really fun and exciting. It's a way to engage the fans directly with recycling. It's a reverse vending machine like you've seen a grocery stores. You put the bottle and cans in and normally you get money out. In this case, it's rewards platform, so you're getting different rewards. You could get tickets to game. Do you discounts at the fans store? You're able to then get a clean stream of those bottles and cans and make sure as you get recycled we collect date on it. So it's a really fun way to engage people's in sustainability. It's often you don't get to see you don't get to see energy efficiency, you don't see this stuff going in the back of house if they affect the food way. So this is a way to really showcase sustainability and get the fans involved if you.
Speaker 1: Use this this model other places and how.
Speaker 6: Successful it was at the super Bowl, so anyone who got to go to the super Bowl has it. We're working with a bunch of other teams and stadiums. We have one at Red Rocks in Colorado at the concert Hall. So it's it's really fun, it's really engaging. Everyone really kind of gets into it. You'll see people kind of like running around collecting bottles and cans just to get in there because it's rewards.
Speaker 4: Guys you're talking about you brought up some recycling the cans up and say when we was young, growing up the hood, recycling. We were recycling the same e we were recycling to eat. So the can man, the guy that takes all the aluminum, it's dead illuminum that's being crushed.
Speaker 3: Is it being recycled.
Speaker 6: Yes, So aluminum is almost infinitely recyclable. It's always domestic. So again kind of going back to when you buy things, try to buy things in metal, then plastic, and then last glass. So think of when you buy beer canned, Like I always go for canned beer glass bottles because it's just it's a higher impact for glass. It's really heavy, it breaks everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that was like my little Saturday morning little thing. I used to go out and crush the cans and my dad doesn't use for the last month or whatever it was. And you know, the beers he bought was a life and I used to crush them and then we bag them up. Yeah, I go, I go get me a couple of logan.
Speaker 1: I used to do. I used to do that. I used to have a big collection of aluminum cancers. I'd get allowance. So my allowance was any any any.
Speaker 3: I got allowed to leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's what I'm saying. So i'd have to get like any can if you had a big party, keep all the cans anything that kind of like with the with the five cent recycling on the bottom. I think you could do glass at the time.
Speaker 3: And then wasn't at the bottom tops to it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was a bottle tops. So that's so you talked about something interesting there with the glass first metal bottles and like diverting. Can you elaborate on that a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So when you want to like think about your choices and you're consuming and you want to be able to divert things away from a landfill or incinerator, you're trying to think of like what can actually be recycled at a facility. So again thinking is it made out of metal. We're trying to avoid plast but plastic is still generally much more recyclable over glass, just because.
Speaker 1: Oh really goss crazy glass.
Speaker 6: Like you go to these facilities, they have mountains of glass. They're holding onto this material until the day they find a good contract come to do with it. Really, glass is really used for filler and stuff like this. Like our parents glass was reused, so it made much sense. It's a party, you know, you bring it back to the store, you fill with your coca cola, your milk bottle. It made sense then, but now you're probably not refilling your glass bottle. So it's just shattering and it's breaking, and it's getting mixed into all other materials. So it's actually contaminating a lot of recycling.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Well that's fascinating.
Speaker 4: How people think is if we think, kid Like, I was like, why don't they just throw out a glass in the volcano?
Speaker 3: Just a good aco, just go to Hawaii.
Speaker 6: It's got one that's about to go off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll put it in there. My dad said that he used to work for for NASA in the aerospace industry and there was a big program when I was younger to launch trash this space. And then someone who's in a meeting was like, well what if it explodes and then you get all this trash raining down or it's like radioactive waste. So you got to think about the transport of that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just doubt that the Earth already has this this this girl, this recycled machine called the volcano for the glass, and I just think the well incinerated, right if I dumped a lot of this glass in there.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if you know, but that is a thing. They incinerate trash.
Speaker 6: Right, Yes, incineration is definitely wayed tree trash, and some of it collects energy. Some of this kind of straight incineration.
Speaker 1: When you say.
Speaker 6: Collects energy knocks everywhere. It's like, you don't want to live near a landfill. You don't want to live near incinerator. So where are they being housed? What communities are they affecting? Again, if you're reducing what you're making, then you don't have to bury it. You don't have to burn it.
Speaker 3: Ain't they like ciphering like gas from landfills? Like, uh yeah, So there's a lot of nothing.
Speaker 6: So all that food you put in the trash, when it goes to the landfill, there's no oxygen being mixed sense releasing all this nothing is very co in for greenhouse glasses. And that's accelerating climate.
Speaker 3: And so they're drawing it from the bottom.
Speaker 6: Right, So there's leeches, so there's you have food sitting around, it's all liquid and gross. So that goes down to the bottle and the gas is going So tell me this.
Speaker 2: Who's using that? That that methane? Whatever?
Speaker 6: They travel so they try to trap the methane and they put it generate. They will generate energy electricity interesting well.
Speaker 2: Get energy from so many other places where we're spending money for it. Why we can't just go do that?
Speaker 3: Well, because it comes, it's.
Speaker 1: Coming, all, why don't we ask Ross? Is that who's the expert? You? Yeah, says common.
Speaker 3: Ross. What do we use?
Speaker 2: It's a world where they want to get your damn use the mean thing, the heat, the heat factories used the heat?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Ross?
Speaker 6: So methane gets captured, it gets burned, it turns, you know, turbine, so eventually generate extricity. Sometimes they can't do that. It breaks down. They have to like burn the gas. You've seen you've gone through industry. Sometimes they have flames coming out and they just they can't really do anything. Also, it's not a sustainable way to do it. It's it's better than letting it go out into the US.
Speaker 3: Me and you and then it's deal.
Speaker 1: So so Ross, thank you so much for joining us. And hopefully Fred you've learned something today about not saying.
Speaker 3: We knew we was on the same levels.
Speaker 4: Stop man, if y'all need to hire somebody, just no captain planet.
Speaker 6: We're gonna give that on mind.
Speaker 1: So, Ross, thank you so much for joining us, and let's go do it for today's show. Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: We are brought to you by Bet three six five. At BET three six five, we don't do ordinary. We believe that every sport should be epic. That's why we offer an end game experience which covers over seventy eight sports and over seven hundred and eighty thousand live screams to ninety million customers world wide. Our our online bed and brand is powered by world class proprietary product and over seven thousand employees across the globe. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, is never ordinary.
Speaker 3: At BED three sixty five, the.
Speaker 4: Official sport and bending partner of your Washington Commanders must be twenty one plus and physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly. If you are someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.