Speaker 1: Podcast starts now. Hello everyone, and welcome to Stradio Lab. We are coming at you by coastally once again after our string of hit recordings in New York City.
Speaker 2: We are coming at you by coastally on a beautiful Sunday, and I am leaving for it, Dahlia tomorrow. I'm going on a vacation, as is my birthright. You're allowed as a gay man based in ban I actually have a message to the Spin Drift team, and I want to say, this is disgusting, y'all. What do better? Which one all spin drift? Not all spin enough? No we have I can't do it anymore. Either something is a seltzer, or it is a juice, or it is a mocktail, or it is a cocktail. This weird. They are being so toxic in wanting to have it all, and I cannot do it anymore.
Speaker 1: I could not disagree with you more. I think we need more innovation in the drink space. I think there's obviously so much space between juice and soda and water, and they are finding that space and they're exploring it in a way that is like thank you, I see.
Speaker 2: It's so funny to me. I'm like all the obviously defined things, whether it's a coke, a seltzer, a water like I would always rather have that than something that is somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: Have you had the blue one, the lemon one?
Speaker 2: I have not had the lemon one. But once again, take a seltzer, take a lemon, squeeze some of it in there. Mix, mix, mix, Maybe we're talking a mint leaf.
Speaker 1: Look, not all of us can get back to me a fresh garden in our damn apartment.
Speaker 2: Sign up for sign up for uh farm to people? What is it called? There is a service so you can sign up for a few live in New York City farm to people. I believe it's called get some fresh herbs, stick them right in the glass, ice lemon, maybe a little lime, seltzer, put a little straw in there. It's time to party.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: They are always innovating with new delivery services over there, aren't they.
Speaker 2: They certainly are. I just yeah, I really, I'm really sorry if they're an advertiser. And I actually bet you that the people that work at spin Drift are really cool, and I bet you I would get along with them in real life, which is why it so pains me to be anti spin drift. I think my personality is very spin drift, how so, because I actually think I am someone who can't commit to one thing or the other, like I am half juice have Seltzer.
Speaker 1: So do you think you disliking Spindrift? Is it's pretty self hate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's self hate.
Speaker 2: I think it might be. I think I think it might be. I think it might be in the in the same way that actually sometimes I feel like, uh, despite the fact that I do think I have strong personal politics, I'm not always the bravest person in terms of like getting out there and uh and taking a strong stand, and sometimes I feel some guilt about that. I think maybe what I'm responding to in the I guess uh sort of centrism of the Spindrift project is that I see a little too much of myself in it, and I wish I could be more proudly leftist.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you saying like the employees at Spindrift are probably pretty cool was actually really eye opening for me, because I was like, now, that's a fun career. Like if you work at Spindrift, you're like you get to be kind of like at a party, get to be like I actually work at spin Drifts, Everyone's like, oh fun. Everyone's sort of like it's not like, you know, if you work for like Coca Cola, it's sort of like, oh, like, yes, we all love Coca Cola, but.
Speaker 3: It is kind of bad that you're like poisoning.
Speaker 2: People, right, No, totally, that's not good.
Speaker 3: And then if you were like kind of water, if you work for like bottled water.
Speaker 2: Like Evyon, bad for the environment.
Speaker 3: It's bad for the environment.
Speaker 1: But if you work for spin Drift, it's like, oh, good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of like working for eight. Well, it's a little bit like working for a twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yes. Absolutely, it's the only ethical soda I know.
Speaker 2: I know, And you know what that might be why it's so disgusting, because actually you need soda to be unethical. Like the reason that I coc is so delicious it is because it's killing you from the inside and actually rotting all your organs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a friend who I heard via a third party at some point was consulting for nuts dot com and her job was to think of what to put in the different mix mixed bags. And I said, now that is a dream job.
Speaker 3: Well, that's rom comm job yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: God, and she like can never get the combination quite right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then she meets a guy and she like, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like, my dad always did this. He always took fas shoes with.
Speaker 2: This and not just that. But they're different enough that she realizes sometimes you need like a little bit of dried fruit and a little bit of nut.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's a beautiful little love story anyway.
Speaker 2: Sorry, if you work at spin Drift, I'm seeing here it's non gmo, no sugar added, carbonated water, concord, grape juice, lemon juice.
Speaker 3: And congrats on the canned design, you guys.
Speaker 2: Kind of no, you absolutely ate that down and congrats on the flavors totally in the name. You know, it's rare that a brand, a new brand, makes an impact. Spin Drift I like, I love that. I like it. I like it more than all the pro biotic sodas that are all named like pop pop, Holly Lollipop, don't like that, Willy lolligag No, talk to me like an adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly those I hate those. Those are like just I have soda no.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, also, get can someone make a good ginger ale. Who's listening? Someone make a ginger ale that tastes like it's burning my throat because of how ginger it is. I want it now, and I don't want too much sugar in it, and I don't want too much pulp in it.
Speaker 3: And what's the and what's the deal?
Speaker 1: So when you get like a ginger beer in a can, why is the can as big as my thumb?
Speaker 2: I not even why. By the way, when you're on a plane and you order a selter and they give you one tiny seltzer that's the size of one of those Tonic waters that you have for Gin and.
Speaker 3: Tonic, it's insane.
Speaker 2: What do you think? I am? Polly Pocket. So this is a callin show.
Speaker 3: This is a calin show.
Speaker 1: We are ready to take your calls from our beautiful number three eight five k guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually want to just play the first one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hit it?
Speaker 4: Hi, Sam and George, This is Alison calling from Vermont Place that Sam has famously hated on on the podcast, but differ. Just calling because me and my girlfriend Robin are big fans of the podcast, but we're very unlikely fans because we're.
Speaker 5: We're both butch lesbians, like you know, Lesbian's not that unlikely, I guess. But we're a butch.
Speaker 4: Lesbian couple and we live out in the sticks and roll Vermont.
Speaker 5: We don't have any social media. We are both big into like wandering in the woods and playing in the dirt. So that means that since we're still like huge fans of Stradia Lab, most of like our like cultural knowledge these days we actually get from you guys on the podcast, like we know about things that are happening in like the cultural world, I guess, like in a city, or something people are doing in the cities that people are talking about in the cities because of you guys.
Speaker 6: And so I was wondering if there are any other things that you think we should know about that you want to shout out for us. So please educate, educate some rural Vermonters about what needs to be known, what needs to be known by by the world.
Speaker 5: Okay, I love you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah bye, Well an amazing call. I first of all want to defend myself and say that I don't hate Vermont.
Speaker 3: I love Vermont.
Speaker 1: I go to the gay swimming hole there and I celebrate it. It is a bit boring and that it can be jarring, and you know, you think you want boring, but then you're out there and you're like, well what do I do? Literally, and then you're ending up watching the Idol while you're on vacation in Vermont because you crave sort of glossy something.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I think your reputation is like that you are more of like the one to go to a to Vermont swimming hole, but you also are in fact so much more city than I am, and that when you're there for over thirty minutes, you are like literally in tears and you're needing to watch something on HBO. Max.
Speaker 3: Well, it's really it's tough because I love the idea, of.
Speaker 1: Course of being alone in the woods, but then it's like, but not, I don't actually want that, like I love them.
Speaker 2: No, of course, of course, I want to say before we answer this question, like for two rural lesbians to call in, be so effusively nice and then ask us to tell them what culture they need to know is like when I started this job, that was my biggest dream, the idea that like a really kind butsch lesbian is like, all right, well you know these these are gay guys, like their role is to teach us about pop culture. So come at me and to be there with an open mind and an open heart, knowing that they their vibe is more going into the woods, and our vibe is more HBO Max.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So okay, what culture today May twenty five? Like, what culture do these rural vermontors need to know about?
Speaker 1: I think the big one is literally just all summer Addison Ray. I think that's like the biggest No, that's the biggest one because I think that's like a nice She's obviously like has mainstream appeal, but is like not full mainstream yet, And so I think it's fun to be on the like for a rural Vermont lesbian, you're gonna be like, look at what I'm doing. I'm listening to Addison Ray, and I know that I'm in Yes.
Speaker 2: I think that you need to be able to recognize Tom Brown on the red carpet.
Speaker 3: You have to pronounce the way there, you have to.
Speaker 2: Pronounce the love correctly, Tom Brown. Listen to me. If something is very tailored but kind of weird and it's like basically black nyvy white red.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's kind of look for the little stripes.
Speaker 2: A little fascistic look for the little stripes. That's gonna go ahead and be Tom Brown.
Speaker 3: What else? What other cultures do they need to know?
Speaker 2: The Can Film Festival, Yeah, is happening right now. It's gonna be over by the time you're listening to this. You're gonna wanna get your riffs in about Yeah, I get your effins about. No, here's something you need to know about standing ovation as I can. They're greatly exaggerated because actually, at these days everything gets a standing ovation. So you'll hear, oh, this got a seven minute standing ovation. I can not that impressive means nothing, means nothing, okay.
Speaker 1: Sort of the participation trophies of Can yea actually okay.
Speaker 2: Huge thing you need to know is that culture used to be more streamlined and now it's more fractured. So so there's all every everything is niche and there are niche communities. And that's why Pete Buddha Judge has to go on like a podcast hosted by a comedian who does jokes where he like makes fun of different races.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why Bernie Sanders has to do that as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 3: It's quite sad, is there, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Nicole Scherzinger used to be in the Pussycat Dolls, but now she's Revelatory and Sunset Boulevard, which is not a very good musical, but this production is actually kind of refreshing.
Speaker 3: And get ready to feel complex about Lord?
Speaker 2: Right, So the thing with Lord.
Speaker 1: Okay, because the thing with Lord is that her gender is expanding, but she's also tying it to her album Rollout in a way that's very sort of sometimes feels cynical, but sometimes you're like, but she like she should be able to talk about it, but then it's so tied to the album that you're like, what's is this just for attention?
Speaker 3: What's going on here? Yes?
Speaker 2: And we're also in a place where, you know, the LGBTQ plus community is scared of putting out the wrong messaging because there's danger out there, and so when someone like Lord is saying, you know, is off message, everyone's like, Lord, Ella, not now, and you're not from here, but we're gonna need to stand message.
Speaker 3: We're gonna need to stay on message.
Speaker 1: And you know, people will be mixed about her music, but I think it's best to take a strong stance in any direction. Don't be the spin drift either love or hate. I'm choosing love and Lord please come on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Correct. I would say that, I mean, is there anything obvious that we're forgetting?
Speaker 1: I don't know, let's move on. Okay, it's I'm like, realize it's when we record just the two of us on a Sunday zoom. I'm like, I'm like so comfortable, and I forget. I do forget that. It's this is for public consumption.
Speaker 7: Totally.
Speaker 2: Oh another thing, look up Pink Panthers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna want to look her up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look up Pink pan threads.
Speaker 3: Maybe read the wiki for her, just a little miss Pink. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also I would base, I would basically watch the movies of Ariast and form any opinion on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now's the time.
Speaker 2: Now's the time.
Speaker 3: And I'd say, download okay lou.
Speaker 2: Yeah, download Oka l o u is how it's spelled.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to put that up when it comes to the New year. You're gonna say, and this was actually my favorite album of the year, And I think that'll give you some real credibility.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. Okay, Oh, you know, before we I want to say, we got a ton of calls from lesbians and otherwise queer women, specifically about lesbian culture. I think we don't want to push our luck too much by commenting too much on lesbian culture after we hosted an entire lesbian lab show. Uh, but I do want to very quickly shout out some of the calls we got. So let's see. Someone asked, is political lesbianism back? And by that she defined it as like not sleeping with men by choice, the sort of like not like I was born this way and men are disgusting, but like I am, I could sleep with men if I wanted to, and often do want to, but I'm choosing not to do that as a politics. Well, so the question is is that back? So that was a great question. Oh yeah, Someone says, like someone asked us someone just went to a new lesbian bar and she said it was just completely vibeless and terrible, and she basically wants us to talk about like why lesbian bars have no vibe. Again, we are not sorry. I'm being actually poisoned live on air. We don't want to comment on that right now.
Speaker 3: I want to comment on that right now, but I do have one quick thing.
Speaker 1: I saw friend of the pod Casey Jane Ellison this weekend and there was a we were talking about lesbian bars and gay bars, and an interesting theory was pitched, which is that, like a gay bar is better when it's owned by a lesbian, and a lesbian bar is better.
Speaker 3: When it's owned by a gay guy.
Speaker 2: I would even go.
Speaker 1: Some distance from the community and like really run it correctly.
Speaker 2: I would frankly go so far as to say a gay bar is better when it's owned by a woman of any sort, even a straight woman. True, true, And I will say, you know, Julius is owned by a straight woman, and she's a straight Greek woman, and so make of that way you will. That's the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So shout out to all the lesbian questions. We appreciate them, and we will not be commenting further.
Speaker 2: But maybe in the future we will. We're not we know that our role is to comment on all LGBTQ plus, of course, but I think we were I think we are respectfully not making ourselves arbiters of lesbian culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah at this point, at this point, okay, next.
Speaker 8: Call, Hey, Sat and George.
Speaker 9: I had a question for y'all, how do y'all feel about Paris Hilton.
Speaker 10: I think that's all the contexts you need.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 1: How do we feel about Paris Hilton? Well, I think I think we both agree on this one. H it was fun for a second.
Speaker 2: I think I say congratulations on all you've done mm hmmm, and goodbye for now. Next no, I would say forever. Actually, if I may be so bold, I would say thank you for everything you've contributed. Have fun living a private life from here on out.
Speaker 1: Do you know the like like carbon dating, like a like a half life where like how long it is. It's like there's like half as much carbon I feel like Paris Hilton's kind of that, Like like the first time around it was like, wow, this is so of the moment. So now she's so ye two Q. And then like now the reboot of Paris Hilton, it was like it had half as much juice and it was like, yeah, it's like almost like it's fun, but it has half the impact, and it's like it's only going to keep deteriorating. Like I do think in ten more years she'll come back again and it'll be like a quarter of the original.
Speaker 2: I want to say, part of my current aversion to her has to do with the fact that, as listeners of the Patren know, I had a six month freelance job that was in Penn Station, and out of my window at work I could see this giant billboard for Hilton Hotels. They did a campaign with Paris Hilton. I don't know if this made it to Los Angeles or the state of California, but I did not recognize this big campaign featuring Paris Hilton. And now what we have here is reclaim. Paris Hilton has been canonized so much that she's no longer an embarrassment to the Hilton name and like a problem child. She's actually so mainstream pop culture that they are reappropriating her as like a positive, as a positive spokespirston for the Hilton family. And to that, I say, you know, please respect me as a consumer, like I can't, we can't be. You can't be selling back Paris Hilton to me in a Hilton ad and expecting me to then want to go and check into a Hilton Like.
Speaker 1: No, no enough, her doing that album last year, like it's like, we can't do this anymore.
Speaker 2: No all right? Onto Actually talented women in music with the next question.
Speaker 10: Hia, Sam George. I have recently become enamored of playing your little time game with any group of three things. But I simply think there has to be a better word than heim lick. Just so, I thought about the word geography, which I think is like books about saints, so like heimiography, writing about three sisters who say perhaps Anyway, my question is heimiography or heimlick. I guess, And I don't think you've done this before New York, LA, Chicago. And then also for my own purposes, the second tier of cities that cause lots of discourse Boston, San Francisco, DC. Me know what you think?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is amazing, what an amazing question.
Speaker 2: Amazing question. I what do you think about the name of the game? I just can't. I haven't got it.
Speaker 3: I'm like it rolls off the tongue.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're just taking with heimlick. Yeah, okay, all right, heimlick, New York, LA, Chicago.
Speaker 1: I almost think I think Danielle is Chicago because she's like like of the she's like of the earth, Like she's like she's like putting in the work. Yeah, He's like I'm here, like I'm the backbone. I think Alana is maybe LA because of being in movies, and you think ST is New York.
Speaker 2: Yes, why because she's like a West Village girl.
Speaker 3: A little.
Speaker 1: I think ST's got edge. I think ST's like, you know, she's She's not afraid to ruffle some feathers.
Speaker 2: I see see. I think my only argument against that would be Alana is an IT girl, which to me reads more in New York than LA. Like Alana to be amused for Paul Thomas Anderson. I know Paul Thomas Anderson is very LA, but but spiritually he feels very New York to me, like his vibe feels more in New York. And I think SD is just so at home in Silver Lake, floppy hat like well, plus she's blonde. Plus she's blonde. We don't have to agree, but I think that would be my that would be my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know we're getting I went to that party the other night where they were Djinghu and it's I'm like, we're one degree away from home.
Speaker 2: At least, or at most. Tell everyone what SD's first song.
Speaker 1: Was when she DJed girls Just Want to Have Fun, Classic Classic, It was fun?
Speaker 2: Is choosing that as your first song in your DJ set, more La or New York. I would say more La.
Speaker 3: It's more La. Yeah, you're right, You're right, and I'm gonna agree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right. I mean, Danielle being Chicago is obviously shocking, but I can't it's too late at this point to change that joints.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I don't know. Yeah, but what else could she be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's do Boston, San Francisco, DC. Okay, well, this is insane, This is really really challenging.
Speaker 3: I don't know, this is really challenging. Okay, daniel I'm like, none of them? Are any of them?
Speaker 2: Danielle is DC?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: I think Danielle is DC because she's like, again, she's CEO, she is Nancy Pelos, She's the Nancy Pelosi. She's like speaker of the house. She's the one that pulls the strings, she's the producer. I know they all produce, but hear me.
Speaker 3: Out is SD Boston?
Speaker 2: I think, oh god, you know, I think SD is like the coolest girl at BEU.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see that.
Speaker 2: And then I think Alana is Alana just left San Francisco for Oakland and lives in like a really cool neighborhood and goes to like a really queer friendly hairdresser that works at meta, but works at meta. Okay, next question. All right, this one is a.
Speaker 11: Big Sam and George big fan of the pod. So I often think about your theory of Lizzo's path and the different like career milestones where celebrities and creators have the option to make one choice or another, and I wanted to see if you guys have any thoughts on different crossroads that I feel like a lot of creators are running into nowadays, the social media where somebody who is beloved by like a group of fans who maybe have an identity that's like a little quirky, like a little indie, and then as the creator becomes more and more famous and commercially mainstream, all of a sudden, everyone all at once seems to find them really annoying and egotistical. Okay, I feel like Tycho y TD hit this point. I feel like Lyn Manuel hit this point, not even saying that I feel that these people turned cringey, but it does seem to be the general view that many have, and with the White Litis finale, it sort of looks like maybe Mike White is about to hit that point. So I was just wondering if this is a theory that you guys have any thoughts about, and kind of what would you call it? Along the same lines as like Lizzo's path, like is there a term for it? And maybe are there others that you can think of who have fallen victim to this decision point? Okay, thank you for making this thought probably a lot more eloquent than I did.
Speaker 3: Bye, guys, love you of all.
Speaker 1: Never say that you're not eloquent. You fucking crushed that you ate that that call was so to die for and well thought about. I immediately I think of like a Jennifer Lawrence for this type. I think of Anne Hathaway. I think I do think our society has a cruel way of building people up and then hating them for the reason they built them up in the first place. And it's like it's not fair.
Speaker 3: Why did you love them? Then? I don't know what I would call this this phenomenon.
Speaker 2: I think the Jennifer Lawrence thing is really uh apt. Yeah, It's like I'm trying to use j Law as a pun, like the Jaylaw.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, the Jay law, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, Like it's like, are you being cracked down by the J law? What I love that one would use for a law like I love.
Speaker 1: I'm also thinking of like there's something here's the phrase I was thinking, you know, like expired quirk because it's like it is fresh.
Speaker 3: And you're like, oh I love this, I love this, and then something it goes bad, Like.
Speaker 2: You're right, that's exactly what it is. It's like his quirk expired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so just.
Speaker 2: Hearing this off the top of my head, Zovida Chanel of course.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: And I think she then went in a completely different direction because I think at some point she realized the quirk expired and was like, right, well then I'm just going to be kind of a normal woman.
Speaker 1: Well, and the thing with with this, I do think people know that one's quirk has an expiration date nowadays. Yeah, but I think it's causing people to not have quirk. I think people like Mikey Madison is so like I am no personality, like I don't have one.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I don't think that's like a strategic move she's doing, and she's like hiding her quirks. I think that's simply who she is.
Speaker 3: I think she's hiding her quirk.
Speaker 2: Do you think she's hiding her quirk?
Speaker 3: I think she has quirks that she's hiding.
Speaker 2: That is fascinating. That is, you have an optimism that I wish I could have.
Speaker 3: You think she's just a plain girl.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's a plain girl. I think she is a terrific artist and actress. But I think she isn't. I don't think she has like a really strong personality because I think she's been acting her whole life, and that's her whole life, and that's who she is. I don't think she is a Jennifer Lawrence of a Zoe Deschanel, A you know, a Charlie XCX. Like I think she is just girl actor actor girl, actor girl. I have one that I actually think is fascinating, which is fran Lee Bowitz. Oh don't you think she It's like she flew too close to the sun. Her quirk didn't expire for generations, and then I think over the last couple of years, a new generation of consumers has come in and they're like, that's enough out of you.
Speaker 1: Well, there is something where like the mediums have changed so much where it's like everyone is friendly, yes, exactly, and it's like, okay, so you're cranky. You're essentially doing front facing rants about like Starbucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're charging for them and you're at the ninety second Street why a big hall?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're supposed to treat you like you're better than like.
Speaker 2: That literally twing. It's like, yeah, how about actually sit down and write a book. I know you've had writer's block for sixty years, but it's that's sort of what it's going to take for me to pay money to engage with your work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is really interesting.
Speaker 2: Someone that's fascinating, and I wonder what you think of it? Like where are we with Charlie? Like how has her quirk not expired?
Speaker 3: She this it needs to be examined.
Speaker 2: She's like an evil genius.
Speaker 3: She is so good at it.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think it's expired because she's like kind of refusing to be flat, Like she's like she could just be like I I'm just cocaine and sunglasses, but then like she sometimes will be like actually I'm not like I'm this now, and it's like, oh, I didn't expect that, Like she she doesn't go two dimensional with it.
Speaker 2: No, it's true. And this is actually a larger issue with like what the right amount of branding is, because when you lead too much into one specific thing, it's gonna work for you in the beginning, because that's how the algorithm works. It rewards consistency and quantity over quality. But it will reach a point where it goes bad fast. It's like the experence. It's like how milk expires within It's like, it's good, it's good, it's good one morning, you wake up, you smell the bottle, not horrible. There are I think with some people, there are like mean and annoying people on the Internet that want you to believe someone's quirk has expired, and just because they're gay and confident doesn't mean they're right.
Speaker 3: I think that's really true, and I think.
Speaker 2: That's true with Lord. People really want you to convince you that her quirk is expired. Don't let them, don't. We are not going back, folks.
Speaker 1: We are here to support Lord through this album cycle.
Speaker 3: Her quirk has not expired.
Speaker 2: I don't care what her gender is. Yeah, we're listening.
Speaker 3: We're listening, we're learning.
Speaker 1: The thing is, people are like, oh, it's put on, Like, oh she's And I'm like, this girl has been weird.
Speaker 3: This girl has always been weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get into it.
Speaker 3: Like she's not cool.
Speaker 2: Do you think him's quirk expired when they first started doing the synchronized dance at the concerts.
Speaker 3: I think that's when it started to expire.
Speaker 1: But I think they've recognized that, and I think they're like, that's why they're going so hard right now. I think they're really being like, we'll show you we have a fresh batch of quirk totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's all Louis at the time, and it's all Louis d AOC's.
Speaker 3: Quirk has expired, honestly, No, I agree.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I see like really really really left internet. That's like AOC should kill herself. And I'm like wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, what is going on? And then I'm always like this is so niche and like, yeah, it seems like a lot of anger for no reason sometimes, but maybe I'm uneducated, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the path is for Paul Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 3: I'm worried about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when a guy starts going sleeveless, we are on quirk.
Speaker 3: Watch Oh, we're sniffing the milk.
Speaker 2: Were the milk. We're saying, okay, maybe one more day. Yeah, I'm not gonna put it in my cereal, like I'll put it in my coffee, like, oh.
Speaker 3: Splash my coffee of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sniffing his milk for sure.
Speaker 2: Because I gotta tell you Andrew Scott when Sleeveless it expired fast.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, damn, I'm sort of obsessed with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, and I'm praying for Pedro. I think he is so charming. I think he's so handsome.
Speaker 2: I want to say, you know, I for me, I was always like, not resistant, he seems great, but I was always like everyone is being a little too coordinated in their thirst for this man, like how about we all relax. But something switched to me the last week, and I am so ferial for him. I don't know what it is. I'm like, I'm like, I have.
Speaker 3: To kiss him. Did you watch Game of Thrones?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 1: Because his character in that he is so sexy and like it's really incredible and like it's very much like he comes on the screen, You're like, who is that?
Speaker 3: Like I'm addicted. So he's the real deal. So I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, this is expired quirk. Sam. You know you coined Lizo's pass and you coined expired quirk, and this is your Your true talent is coining verbiage.
Speaker 3: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Okay, next, Q oh, this is this is really good.
Speaker 12: I hate guys want to treat this is exciting. A long time listener, our first time caller, Patriista just sus we're just taping last week and with try to say hi. Anyways, I'm calling because.
Speaker 13: My husband and I have sort of a disagreement on something and I'm hoping you guys can help it out. Okay, I guess what we're wondering is what is the current state of the term f for hag? That is fag hag And I'm not going to say it because of, you know, the aforementioned uncertainty about whether or not I'm allowed to. I know policing language is lame now, but I still don't want to.
Speaker 12: Be saying things that I shouldn't be. I basically called them on this who you know kind of was but was like, you can't say that? What a good excuse to get our resolute.
Speaker 13: Gay guys on the horn.
Speaker 12: Now that I'm tokenizing you a little to conret my own toxic Anyways, it is what you are informed of, what you are allowed to say.
Speaker 13: I guess I will just add that my husband is a straight, sispet white man, and I am a you know, Sophie Rotten bisexual woman's period married to a.
Speaker 12: Man bars, So make that much you will.
Speaker 5: I love to.
Speaker 12: Invoke sam and say I'm not in a place where I want to be critique, but.
Speaker 13: I am leaving this voicemail.
Speaker 12: So I guess maybe I am. Please go easy. I love you guys very much. Who do you buy?
Speaker 3: Folks? Her husband's gone woke? What about Reddit?
Speaker 2: Reddit? Am I the asshole post? Like I parentheses F twenty seven bisexual bisexual? My husband has gone woke?
Speaker 1: So I think this is such an interesting First of all, I'm really interested in this dynamic. I do think this is a real It's very funny when like a straight cis white whatever man is like, hey, don't like he's like, I'm trying to be good, so like.
Speaker 3: Don't do that, like, don't say back haag. But I have to disagree.
Speaker 2: I think you're disagreeing with a woke husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think I think women.
Speaker 1: I think, first of all, I think fag hag is a chic term that needs to come back.
Speaker 3: I think it is like a it's like, yeah, it's a time honored tradition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we like can't erase it, like there's something like it's an important role is to be a fag hag. And I think, yeah, I do think the way we like. I don't know where we stand on whether well.
Speaker 2: There's two things with back haag or not. There's where we stand on, like the concept of a haag haag, and there's where we stand on like the PC political correctness of the term fag hag. We've talked about the concept of fagag before because of course Matthew's theory is the fag hag is endangered because gay guys have more ways of meeting other gay guys now, so there's they have groups of friends that are all gay guys, and so there's less quote unquote need not to refer to friendship that way, for like a supportive woman who's going to take you to your first gay bar, who's going to like walk you through that breakup, who's going to go on like a friendship with you, because now suddenly you're going to han sho you are, you know, dealing with your breakup. I actually yeah, yeah, you're dealing with your breakup. I actually like fucking you're friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think.
Speaker 1: But when you meet like a like a certified fag hag where you're like, her deal is she loves gay guys and she like relates to gay guys in a deep way, I'm like, when I meet that person, I'm like, yes, like, thank you, thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: I can really agree, and I think.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't want to sound Republican, of course, but I am sort of like like you can say fag gag, Like it's like a you can say fagag.
Speaker 2: To be clear, my answer is you can say fag hag, and I'm not I don't really care. That's my personal I actually am more. This is a conversation that has been happening a lot, uh and I'm sure you have seen it. The debate over whether or not women saying twink is kind of a red flag, like are they using the word twink to basically say fag?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I actually am way more not offended, but I'm way more like bothered by the casual use of the word twink when what you really mean is gay guy. Than I am by the term fag hag that literally contains the slur in it.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think twink just to mean any gay guy is like literally uneducated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanna Okay, One thing I actually want to mention, I think there has been a rise in the get this the lesbian fag hag?
Speaker 7: M tell me.
Speaker 2: I have seen this a lot in New York recently. I've seen this in my friend groups. It'll be gay guy friend group. One woman and her vibe is she is a proud lesbian, has lesbian friends, like loves the queer community, but she is a partier in a way her lesbian friends can't keep up with. So she wants to go to the rave with the gay guys. Oh and I'm observing here. I'm saying, I'm seeing this. Yeah, and it's rising.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this is an amazing, groundbreaking new type.
Speaker 2: Does this resonate with you at all?
Speaker 3: This is resonating with you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like it is. It's like, and it's not. I'm not I really don't want to apply that this is some sort of self hating lesbian that like only wants to hang out with men. It's not that at all. It's that she literally just wants to go to the rave.
Speaker 1: Well, it is like gay guys have the market cornered on partying, yeah, and in a huge way. And it is like I think if you're a lesbian who wants to party, that's where you go.
Speaker 2: And it's like it's lesbians who love Lady Gaga, like who want to talk about Mayhem? Yeah, and they just they sorry, but like they do drugs.
Speaker 3: They want to do drugs.
Speaker 2: They want to do drugs.
Speaker 1: They want to literally do poppers, which I'm maybe it's because they're being taken away and you never know what you got till it's gone. I'm such a in a pro popper space, right, Oh really Yeah, I like think it's really funny to have on a dance floor. I'm like I'm like charmed by them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a different way.
Speaker 1: Somebody when we went to Palm Springs, one of our friends had like poppers and he had like a little nozzle that like you put on it that so it wouldn't spill, and then you could like put put it in your nose and it was so fun and we were like out of the bar, like doing poppers and.
Speaker 3: Then like we'd like OWD.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is so fun, well and why can't women enjoy that?
Speaker 3: And I think they should?
Speaker 2: So I really think that's a big and I and I think, I hate to say it, but that actually makes straight fag haggs even more endangered because it's like suddenly that they have to keep up with lesbians.
Speaker 3: Now they have to be gay.
Speaker 2: These girls have a husband and he's woke, and he's woke folks, Well, my husband's.
Speaker 1: Gone, whoa wait, I just very quickly.
Speaker 2: I really I love the phrasing of this call is so straight from a straighter lab listener. It's like this girl is just like she wants to She like wants to both be politically correct but also recognize that. Like I know we're all past this, but I used to feel like I should say my husband assists head. Uh yep, I'm bisexual. Okay, predictable, I know, but that's what I am. Like, It's like I recognize her stylist speaking so much because it's the exact way I speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is like self awareness, like the limits of self awareness, where.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the the woke husband snake eating his own tail.
Speaker 3: I think if he keeps up this whole woke thing, he's gonna be suck in his own dick.
Speaker 2: God, bless God, blessed, I think. And I just want to say, I celebrate all fag.
Speaker 3: Hags and celebrate all fat eggs.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know when you can say it, And I think if you feel in your heart that you can say, you can say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's of course listen, it's coming from a place of love. Yes, Okay, we're skipping. Someone called in to tell us that they once served ted Dance and gaspacho and he really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 2: Someone is asking what my go to smoothie recipe is. I gotta tell you not very interesting, just what I have in the fridge. Seven. Okay, let's see.
Speaker 10: Hey, you gorgeous guys. Question, Let Mary kill Nathan Fielder, Ira Glass and Michael Barbaro.
Speaker 3: Okay, bye, this is an amazing question.
Speaker 1: I want to have sex with Michael Barbaro.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 3: I think I would.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately have to kill Nathan Fielder just because I think being married to him would be really difficult, totally, and so I guess by default. I'm marrying Ira Glass, which sounds like a really nice stable life, and I think we'd have a nice home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and fuck Nathan Fielder Mary Ira Glass kill Michael Barbaro.
Speaker 3: Wow, look at us. You don't want to have sex with Michael Barbaro. I don't. Here's what else you need to know today.
Speaker 2: I actually have really, uh, I really have moved on to different white male news podcasters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't really listen to The Daily anymore, but yeah, there's still something about him.
Speaker 2: Yep. Have you've seen the photo of him on the yellow couch?
Speaker 3: Right? Of course?
Speaker 2: I mean that's legendary, legend. Okay, next call hi gay guys.
Speaker 14: This is Juliana. I'm calling with more of an alert than a question. But since the prominence of context queen, my friend has invented a little extenditure of that, which is the context pill. And when someone needs a context till they need to be given context, they are willfully without context, but they also typically don't want to take a context pill. So we'll be like, she needs a context till we need to huy the context hill, and he says he needs to get her to get contact. Love your thoughts on that as a praise and as always.
Speaker 2: Love, Wait, Sam, I do want you because again this is your big talent of coining verbiage. I want you very quickly to talk about the context Diva and what she is.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Context Diva was something from our San Francisco show from SF sketch Fest, where we were we were like asking for more context, and anytime we would say something and trying to clarify the context, we would point to one person and be like, you're the context queen, You're the context Diva.
Speaker 2: And she started, she like started yelling out context. Remember, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's it, that's it, and we were like, context Diva, right.
Speaker 2: She always knew the context for something, and.
Speaker 3: She being a public notary.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly right. So she was the context Diva. Then we got into this whole thing about how like there should be a democratically elected context Diva, Like it should be a cabinet position. It's someone whose job it is when context is lacking to pipe up and give context.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I love the idea of a context pill. I really like that is so funny and I very much understand how how bitter. A context pill can taste like put it in peanut butter for me, because when I don't know context and it actually like undermines what I'm saying, that's gonna hurt a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I actually think there's another issue in our society, which is that often we're actually over prescribed context pills. And that happens when someone it's like your friend who's too woke, you know what I mean. It's like me saying, oh, I'm entering the house and then someone being like, you know, some people can't enter.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're being so correct right now. That's so smart.
Speaker 2: And it's like to say that sometimes we're overprescribed the context pill. Doesn't mean we're against the context pill. It means there is like a time and a place for it.
Speaker 3: It means talk to your doctor.
Speaker 2: It means talk to your doctor to find out if the context pill is right for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you might be on too high of a dosage.
Speaker 2: And it does get to a point where, if you're on too high of a dosage, you become paralyzed because all you can see is context and not the thing at hand. You cannot you literally can't see the forest.
Speaker 1: For the trees literally, and honey, it gets so hard to come.
Speaker 2: No, the context I really love. I really love the idea of the context pill. And I'm actually smelling merch.
Speaker 1: This episode is really making you be like, damn, we do have a lot of phrases. I know, we are one of those podcasts that comes up with a lot of phrases.
Speaker 2: And they're endlessly generative.
Speaker 1: Well, they actually are really helpful frameworks to see the world.
Speaker 2: Well, are again our main job is creating frameworks, of course, that is those are our roots. It is creating theoretical frameworks that you can apply to anything in your life.
Speaker 3: If we aren't creating frameworks, we're dead.
Speaker 2: Literally, So take that context pill. Okay, let's see. Okay, our minions gey straight? And is HBO Max changing its name gear straight? Quickly?
Speaker 1: Go Minions, I'm gonna say gay, and HBO Max I'm gonna say that's very I think it's straight.
Speaker 2: Actually, really, you think Hbox changing his name back and forth is straight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think it's like sort of not being able to commit. It's being like like, oh I I'm gonna be crazy, Like it's it's very Demi Levado being like I'm they them and then meaning actually, never mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if HBO Max was actually queer, it would change its name to Esmeralda and everyone would respect that. Okay, next question, Hi, George and Sam.
Speaker 15: I was curious, what percentage of guests that you have on have y'all slept with?
Speaker 2: And let me say something about this context Eva. You know she's saying fag hag and she should and she should.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, this is an amazing, amazing question, and it's so juicy that I just was like, well, we at least have to play it. I'm now scrolling through the list of our guests just to see.
Speaker 2: I believe my count is I don't know percentage, but I believe my count is three. Really, and I'm I'm using sleep with pretty liberally. I would say anything that I would describe as like a hookup.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me see. I'm scrolling. I'm scrolling. I'm scrolling. I have one, so let's start there. That's good.
Speaker 1: As I'm scrolling, I'm trying to think who your three are. Okay, I'm scrolling, I'm scrolling, scrolling. What if I only have one? How pitiful little loser?
Speaker 2: I'm texting you my three.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Counting that second one is a stretched account. But you can also count that one.
Speaker 3: I've traded news with one.
Speaker 2: Oh, if we're going, we're going to We're gonna have to We're gonna have to take a different context bill.
Speaker 3: Okay, I literally think mine is just one still scrolling?
Speaker 2: Is it the one we share?
Speaker 1: No, so I guess that's two. But we didn't really hook up. I feel we made out.
Speaker 2: That will say. Oh, that's why I'm saying it's a stretch to count that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, then in that case, then.
Speaker 2: You have two and I have three. We're using we're using the queer definition. We're making out counts.
Speaker 1: We're making out counts. Okay, just double triple checking because honesty is so important. We have a lot of people i'd like to hook up with. Oh wait, nope, that one counts. So now I'm at three.
Speaker 2: Wait, send them to me. All right, let's actually think we have to move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but fukay three, we both have three.
Speaker 2: We both have three. That's really amazing.
Speaker 3: That's really awesome.
Speaker 2: And only one overlap, and only one overlap, and that overlap is the least sexual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the one that's a stretch for both of us.
Speaker 2: It's a stretch for both of us.
Speaker 9: Okay, Hi Sama and George, This Danny and Peter. A question that we have is, in the year eight hundred, what would your role be in the village. A couple of the answers that we've had before is taste tester for the king. Our friend has Celiac's disease and is constantly shooting his pants, so everybody thinks he's poisoning.
Speaker 7: We've also had poop Catcher.
Speaker 3: Both poop related. I'm picking up on a theme. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, ideally I would be sort of a prince. Yeah, and I would be unemployed for the for the most part. I'd have a wife, but I would of course hook up with my the man who addressed me every morning. Oh yeah, And that's pretty much my deal.
Speaker 2: So you're why you want to be a prince.
Speaker 3: I think I'm prince, Okay, because I'm either prince or I'm.
Speaker 1: Dead, Like, I don't have the the chutzpah to you know, drive in this type of environment.
Speaker 2: I believe ultimately I would be you know, I would be a columnist. I think that I would be trying to put together like a zine, you know, on papyrus or raw or stones or whatever was available. And I think I would not be good enough at not making the right enemy or at not making the wrong enemies. And I think I'd be like really successful for two years and then I would get murdered, Like I would get executed basically in the town square.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be fun. I would definitely show up to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would also be like really obsessed with being upwardly mobile, but it's like that's not possible in these times. I would think I'd be the first one to live the American dream in the year eight hundred. Okay, next question.
Speaker 3: This is a groundbreaking episode.
Speaker 11: Hi, Divas. I was wondering if you've been to the news gay bar Playhouse, and if you have.
Speaker 2: A review, say Trudi bye, So you haven't, I have not.
Speaker 3: This is a new gay bar.
Speaker 2: I honestly didn't realize it was new. I mean I went like two years ago. Am I crazy? Hold on, I'm looking this up. I'm looking this up Playhouse, New York City. Well, regardless of whether it's you or not, I have been once with Josh Sharp and I had the time of my damn life. Our dear friend Izzy Uncutt was performing. She absolutely ate down. It was like the perfect level of crowded. It's a cute space. I thought the crowd was fun. Ultimately, it's not like where I want to go every Friday night. I would say it exists in this midway point between, Like on the one end you have something like Julius, which is so vintage and cool that it's like it will never be lame. And then on the other end you have like a Marie Crisis, which is so a musical theater and old queen and piano that it's like camp. Yeah, Playhouse is like in the middle, so it kind of could go either way. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's not like cool enough to be cool, but it's not uh like embarrassing enough to be reclaimed.
Speaker 3: Would you say it's Philly?
Speaker 2: It is Philly?
Speaker 3: Okay, Playhouse is Philly.
Speaker 2: But I again, I had a really great time there and I and I would go back, and in fact, I now want to go back.
Speaker 3: I went to the most Philly restaurant this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what was it?
Speaker 7: It was?
Speaker 1: It's called like La mill or something, but it was like the deck core was like where did you find this? Like it was like a weird like I was in the mall or like a bank lobby or something.
Speaker 2: Well, there's like no time for this, but you know, I just got back from Denver.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, we.
Speaker 2: Actually need to discuss this. Maybe we'll discuss on patron but so fans might remember our second episode ever, that topic was Denver. Max's topic was Denver his straight topic. Obviously at that time we would never actually talk about the straight topic. So if you go back, you're not going to find any insights about the city of Denver. But as a straight topic, it was so perfectly chosen because it really is the most heterosexual city I've ever been to. Wow, it is like everything you think of as kind of twenty tens gentrification chic, like the beer hall, the converted warehouse, the coffee shop that is a refurbished storage unit, you know what I mean. Like the giant market hall that has a bunch of different food courts in it. Like that is the entire city. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Sometimes in a place like that it can be a little bit erotic because you're like, this is so straight. There must be like a CD underground, Like people are like hooking up total fly? Did you feel any like CD Undertone? Did you pop on the Sniffies or something?
Speaker 2: I should have? I mean I didn't because there was literally no way it would have. I was there with two friends and we were there for like forty eight hours, and like sure, sure I was not going to hook up, and so I didn't. I I will say my feelings about the city aside. I loved the people, Like everyone you it was this weird thing where everything seemed so bland, but then the food was great, the people were nice, Like it wasn't like other cities which I won't name, where you're like, oh my god, like get me out of here. Why is nothing working? Like why can't I go to a coffee shop and get a croissant? Like everywhere we went like it was good because again it's like it's this gentrification vibe, like it's like getting new blood to the area, getting the coffee shops, getting the concert venues. Like it was good where it needed to be. But then you couldn't take a walk.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah anyway, don't whatever, don't get mad at me. Okay, all right, well here's here's one. Here's here's one.
Speaker 3: Oh, and here's one for Heyday guys.
Speaker 8: Wanted to call in and see what you guys think about bald guys, Bald gay guys in particular. I recently gave in and shaved.
Speaker 7: My head and.
Speaker 8: I am having a hard time addressing to it. But I think it looks good overall. So just when you think about twenty nine year old gay men who are bald, do people respect me? I think it looks good, but I want to know what you think, especially George as somebody with great hair that goes for the buzz cut and why love you guys?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think bald is very hot. I think it's complex, of course, because it's like losing one's hair is always like jarring because you're like, but like when you meet someone who is bald, you like don't know them from having hair, and so you're like, you look great, like, but I see the losing can be traumatic and weird.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those things like height that it's like, no matter where we are in acceptance, it's going to be an internalized stigma.
Speaker 1: It's also because of like drugs and stuff that are now like make it possible to have it be a little more optional. It is like it's we're in an interesting place with it where it's like do you like fight, do you fight like hell and be like I'm going to keep my hair out all costs or are you like like it is sort of like I'm I'm going to be a bald guy. Like there's something of like I'm gonna do that now.
Speaker 3: That is it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I like they're almost like bald guys are almost like going extinct in a way. Like you watch shows from like the nineties and you're like, like main characters are bald, whereas like now if you watch a show there, they ain't having a bald guy on TV.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think it's as you said, it's actually this is related to spin drift. I think you I think you can have a fully bald man on TV, and you can have a fully not bald man on TV. What you don't get anywhere that you got in the seventies and eighties is a balding man like just fully you know, again someone who like has less hair on top because he is in the process of balding. Yeah, that at some point was it was decided that that was not allowed to be on.
Speaker 3: Screen, Yeah, it's annoying. I also, I find a bald spot to be very hot.
Speaker 2: It's like so masculine to me, totally, totally, it's very masculine. Yeah, it's funny because people think of balding like the stigma is that it's somehow emasculating, when in fact it is the most masculine thing you can have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very sexy.
Speaker 2: You know, one of my big crushes, Corey Stole, is bald. Oh that's true, I will say on a personal level, because I grew up with a bald dad. My dad has been fully bald since he was like twenty five, like legitimately, like I haven't even seen like maybe he was balding in his early twenties, but like as far back as photos go, especially photos with me being alive, he is fully bald. And so it is difficult not to associate boldness with my dad, which then makes it challenging on a sexual attraction level. Sure, I mean that's interesting, and it's like like I'm like, what is that the equivalent for you?
Speaker 1: I don't know, You're like the opposite of Freud, Like I know, literally you should like kind of find it more hot.
Speaker 2: I know it's and I guess I go back and forth. It's not like I don't it's not like I don't find it hot, but I but there is just something. And it was also always such a joke, like he was always so self deprecating about it was always like a thing that he was bald. It was like, you know, he'd go to the you know, because he has hair like in the back of his head. He would like go get a haircut and be like, I need a haircut, and my mom would be like, do you like where like show show me where they're gonna cut their you know. It was such a such an ongoing joke. It's like if like you have like a fat and all the jokes are about how he's fat or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's a It is.
Speaker 3: One of the it's a tough one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But to answer this listener's question, like, no one is thinking no, there's no one that's being like, oh god, he's bald.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what weld is in?
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about your hair journey with since he oh, yes, the buzz cut.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, I actually do have great hair objectively, but because it is so unwieldy and thick. It's sort of like it looks like politician hair when it grows out, like I look like Rob Lagoyevitch. Like it's just very like thick. It like grows out in all directions. And I've just never been good at taking care of it or knowing what product you use, or knowing like where to go to get a good haircut. And I actually think I look fine with a buzzed head, Like I genuinely like how I look, and so it just is easier, it's cheaper and like I don't have to think about it, and that's sort of my But then occasionally, honestly, I was thinking about this when I was looking at recent photos of Pedro Bescal, who I do think has potentially opted to not be bald. But I was like, damn, he has some great hair, Like maybe I should grow my hair out and have like a nice little.
Speaker 3: Poof If anyone could figure it out, it's you.
Speaker 2: Oh stop, But anyway, that's my journey. Yeah, okay, let's do a last call.
Speaker 7: And was what is from Alaska?
Speaker 15: I was actually dead for this weekend, and I saw George that you were here too, And my brother went the same rock show, and I was having heared to you, but.
Speaker 7: He did not.
Speaker 15: My question is like, what's to do with taking shirt off in the clubs like the gay bar, the gig club?
Speaker 7: Right, Like, what is that?
Speaker 15: It's last Friday. I was at xbar and.
Speaker 7: It seems there was a group of.
Speaker 15: Guys being kind of rowdy with their shirts off, and I was kind of watching them, like they are straight guys will take their shirts off because their outfits are just too immaculate, Like what's going on there?
Speaker 7: All right? Thank you guys, love you.
Speaker 2: So this is like a really confusing call.
Speaker 3: I have to say, I'm mostly confused.
Speaker 2: I think we can answer it.
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna take We're gonna make our own questions.
Speaker 2: We're going to make our own question. I also think I maybe can't hear part of what he's saying at the end, because I'm like I was right there with him. I'm like, Okay, we're answering a question about why gay guys take their shirts off at the bars. But then he was like, I was at acbar and straight guys took their shirts off at the bar.
Speaker 3: Did he say he's at acbar?
Speaker 2: I thought he did.
Speaker 3: Hold on, but he's from Alaska.
Speaker 15: Friday, I was at xbar and.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, I was at X bar. He is censoring the name of the bar. He was not at acturate.
Speaker 3: Got it, got it? Got it?
Speaker 2: So all right, Sam, Actually I would like you to take this.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna discuss vaguely what it means to take your shirt off at a bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I have a really complex relationship with it because I actually find it fun and such a like like gay tradition to be like we're all shirtless dancing.
Speaker 3: That is so.
Speaker 1: Fun and throwback. But then it does get into like toxic territory very quickly, where then you're like seeing all these bodies and all the bodies are like the same, and you're like, wait, now I feel gross, Like now I feel the competition.
Speaker 3: Now I feel the like self.
Speaker 1: Consciousness and like in a way where I'm like it's supposed to feel like wow, like bodies on bodies on bodies, and said, it's like it like almost gets like militaristic and like unsexy. So I I personally am like very torn on whether or not to take my shirt off at a bar. I think, like, so there's this party, the summer party, here in La called Bears and Space, which is so to die for, And it happens like once a month in the summer at in the Acbar parking lot, and that's a really fun like everyone takes their shirts off because it's hot out and it's like a summer daytime party and it's like but it's all different types of bodies and it's not like.
Speaker 3: A circuit party.
Speaker 1: It's just sort of like mingling with that loud music with your shirt off, and it's like fun, and so that one feels like more ethical, but then the other one, Like I've been at parties where it's like like I had my shirt off and then I saw the other types of people that had their shirt off and they had those muscle muscle bodies, and I was like, wait, I hate this. I don't want to be associated with them. I don't know that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's sort of it's almost if you zoom out a little bit, it's almost like you can appreciate it as just like an encapsulation of the gay guy experience where you're like this push and pull between feeling liberated and feeling completely insecure and marginalized is like that is just the day to day experience of being in community with gay men, and I think oftentimes people focus on only one of those elements. It's like either the story is that you persevered and you self actualized, or the story is like, oh God, poor me, I'm not the thing that I'm supposed to be, and so I don't fit into this community. And I unfortunately think anywhere you are and no matter what you're like different subidentity is it just is part of the experience of being gay to feel both, because the thing you realize as you meet these muscle guys is they are the most insecure of all and that's yeah, not all of them, but many of them. That is why in fact they are so like they work so hard, and they plan often their entire life around looking a certain way.
Speaker 3: You know what, I will say, I always have fun at.
Speaker 1: I would say an underwear party. I actually find sort of the proper level of silly. I find that an underwear party has like more humility than a shirtless party, whereas like shirtless is sort of like you're just like, look at my muscles sometimes, and then underwear party is more like this is kind of embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Like we're all in our underwear like this.
Speaker 2: I disagree. Really yeah, I think underwear underwear stresses me out more. I don't like I really don't honestly don't like wearing a drop strap, and like there's just something I would much rather. And also, if you're the only one not in his underwear and underwear party, you stick out way more than if you're the only one in like a T shirt at a shirtless party. And I'm sort of like, if I go into a shirtless party, depending on how good I feel, depending on how what my mood is, maybe I can take my shirt off, maybe I can keep it on. Maybe I can like sort of have like a little fanny pack over my over my torso and then be halfway through, halfway there. But like, there is something I feel trapped in an underwear party.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I feel so settled in.
Speaker 1: There's something where I'm like, we're all, we have to we're all it's like mutually just it's mutual destruction. Is that that thing where you're like we're all the same level of like embarrassed right now?
Speaker 2: I guess I see, I see what you're saying. But I think if everyone agreed that that would be the vibe, then I would like it. But then you see people that have like laser eyes and they're like so jeed out and like looking for something specific, and you're like, oh no, why can't why are you not being fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a good points.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, it's interesting. I want to just briefly touch on the idea that straight guys take their shirts off and gay guys don't, because I understand I think I understand the vibe this person is going for, which is like almost like a tailgate adjacent, like guy that's like come on and then like rips his shirt off, like that kind of thing. But my answer to that would just be I promise you gay guys are taking their shirts off as well.
Speaker 1: They're gonna go ahead and be taking their shirts off. Yeah, I will say when I was in college, my straight guy friend group, we would famous we would take our shirts off all the time at parties because we thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: And it was kind of crazy. In retrospect, it was weird.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is making me excited for summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, summer. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I had a pool day and it was to die for. I got that summer feeling.
Speaker 2: Did you have a pool day at your pool or someone else. Yeah, damn. And you know I had people over for your vision. Both had things. I was like. I was like, actually, someone was like, you guys talk about your vision. I was like, damn, next year, maybe I'll make Sam watch and then we can talk.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. I'm ready to watch.
Speaker 2: But uh no, I when you were talking to me last week about how you're gonna have people over at your pool, I was so jealous. What did you did? You end up doing gay guys, mixed.
Speaker 3: Co workers, very very small list of gay.
Speaker 2: Coworkers okay, interesting.
Speaker 1: And and then like random gay guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, so gay guys.
Speaker 1: But but I didn't go like I didn't go very wide with it, like and I didn't go like comedy with it. I went like just like gay guys totally. But it was it was it was really fun.
Speaker 2: And actually I did that. So when I had people are for your vision, Josh was the only comedian, and wow, if you can believe them.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love comedians. Let's start there.
Speaker 2: Let's start there.
Speaker 1: But it is the way they socialize is like frantic and like all the wrong instincts.
Speaker 2: Like also, it makes me not be at my best sometimes.
Speaker 1: Too, I completely join in. I'm like yeah, like I'm Comedians love to.
Speaker 3: Gather where they're not supposed to.
Speaker 1: They love to like just be in like the doorway of the entrance, and it's like, no, come have be part of this.
Speaker 3: You're part of this. It's so crazy.
Speaker 2: They're always they always have to be in the core. They always have to be in the minority. They have to be in a corner observing. Yeah, and they are never actually part of the space that they're in. They are always friendly bowits.
Speaker 3: They are literally the kids at an adult party at all times.
Speaker 1: One hundred have to give them their own table. They need their own room, like sometimes they need like their own drink station.
Speaker 3: It is like, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing, and of course it's also beautiful because it we you know, it gives you an excuse to be a child forever.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, never forget your Christmas party where we all live.
Speaker 2: That literally a whole room that was just the comedians and everyone else was just it at a normal holiday party.
Speaker 3: That was so funny.
Speaker 2: Arguably also happened at my wedding.
Speaker 3: That's true. That is true.
Speaker 1: And they have a way of making you feel like you're missing out, Like when I was like, you know, talking to your parents out of.
Speaker 3: The corner of my eye.
Speaker 1: See all the comedian's not gonna go oh my by they're having so much fun. I'm a fucking loser over here.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wow this episode was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, start to finish, I think I'm gonna be thinking about expired quirk a lot expire quirk a context pill, context Pill, Denver.
Speaker 2: Denver, Which time sister is Boston, San Francisco or DC. A rural lesbian calling us to ask her what she should know about culture?
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean the fag hag discussion. I'm like, this is one of our best calling shows in forever.
Speaker 1: And reminder, you can always call in at three eight five gay guys and leave a voicemail and we're gonna do these intermittently.
Speaker 2: So and we yes, and we do them on the Patreon even more frequently. So you can always join that by going to patreon dot com slash stradio lab.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say thanks for listening, and.
Speaker 2: I want to agree. I want to agree with Sam in his gratitude for your listenership.
Speaker 1: And uh, I feel like we I keep going to be like, like, I have this urge to say so something, yeah, be like and check us out.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, we don't actually have anything to announce.
Speaker 2: Yeah yet, but we will, but we will. And I just want to say, have a great summer.
Speaker 3: Seriously, you guys, it's here. It's pretty much here. And George, have an amazing time in Italy.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and hope that your flight's an amazing time. Cleaning your room.
Speaker 7: My room.
Speaker 3: My room is the dirtiest it's ever been. It's crazy. Oh that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Hurt when we go on tour. I'm giving you a deadline. You gotta have tsa pre check before we leave for tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta figure that.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: I about to be unemployed, so I'll have a lot of time to figure it out.
Speaker 2: I literally procrastinated on it for a full ten years of my life. Got global entry, which includes pre check. I just traveled to Denver use it for the first time to not feel like cattle, to just like it's like I'm costplaying nineteen ninety seven pre nine to eleven airport experience.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I can't imagine what that's like it's nuts.
Speaker 1: Even at JFK, I feel like there's no way to not feel like cattle there.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, you're all kind of feeling like cattle, but you're definitely feeling like upper middle class cattle.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'll take it. I'm a prize pig.
Speaker 2: Okay, love ya, love ya. Bye podcast and now want more? Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 1: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our YouTube now. Get back to Work. Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sonny and Olivia Aguilar, co produced by Bei Wang, Edited and engineered by Adam Avalos.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grugg.
Speaker 3: Theme music by Ben Kling