Speaker 1: But then once I started selling it on social media and people was buying it, there wasn't in my city, and people was buying it the cities that I had never been to.
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, this might be something, This is something something right, this might.
Speaker 1: Be something, And I felt like God was just telling me that, oh, my vision wasn't big enough.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Money Moves powered by Greenwood, a finance podcast dedicated to dropping all the knowledge and gems from the world's leading celebrities, entrepreneurs and experts, and tech, business and more. I'm your host, angel investor, technology enthusiast, and media personality Tanya Sam. Each week, we talk with guests who are making significant strides in their fields and learn how they are making their money moose. If you're someone who's looking to make your money move, you're in the right place, So open up your notes app and lock us in because this podcast will give you the keys to the kingdom of financial stability, wealth and abundance you so rightly deserve. Before we start the episode, I'd like to remind you to check us out at gogreenwood dot com and follow us on social media at Greenwood and me on all things social at It's Tanya. Time to stay locked in to new episode Moneymovers. Get ready to be inspired by a true trailblazer and creative force in the world of entrepreneurship and beauty. As the CEO of Kaleidoscope Hair product, she is not just a CEO. She is a powerhouse of talent, innovation, fearless determination, and healthy hair with a massive following on her social media platform. In the star of the hit show Brett Love's Judy, her journey from humble beginnings to becoming an influencer, mentor, author, real estate investor, and most recently, a brand new mom, she is nothing short of remarkable. Money Movers, Please welcome Jessica Judy Dupart to the Money Moves podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey go, hey, hey, hey, good see you again.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it is so good to see you. And I feel like I saw you and your wife not too long ago. It was definitely pre baby. So now I have the opportunity to congratulate and welcome this beautiful baby to the world. So tell us how old is your baby?
Speaker 1: He is two and a half weeks, So now y'all two.
Speaker 3: And a half weeks. If this isn't about how you are a mom, a money mover and balancing because you are already back to work with a three and a half year old three and a half week old baby, Like incredible, incredible, how are you finding balancing everything? I'm sure as you, I'm sure that baby runs the house. As they say, the baby definitely runs the house. Our nights are far different from what they used to be. But as a as a businesswoman, business doesn't stop.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't stop. Business doesn't stop.
Speaker 1: It doesn't care what day to week it is. It doesn't care your life circumstance. It doesn't care what you got going on. It doesn't it doesn't care.
Speaker 2: And it's so true.
Speaker 3: And you know what, because you have such a client facing business and you've grown and we'll get into how you grew it and where you are right now. But you know, when people press send and they act to they want their products, they want their stuff. They don't care if you've got a little baby at home. But I will say, like I champion you because it is kudos to you for being here. It is really hard to juggle. And I think you know, everyone looks at entrepreneurship as this like really beautiful life where you're just able to like work from a beach and you know, be at home with your kids.
Speaker 2: But here you are giving us your.
Speaker 3: Time and running like million dollar enterprises.
Speaker 2: It's a lot. It is I wouldn't change for the world. I'll taint it. Ah, amen to that I'm about to say.
Speaker 1: I feel like social media does glorify it absolutely.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I think it's good because it gives people the vision to be like I can do it, I want to build it. But this is why I love podcasts like this because it's real and entrepreneurship is super lonely sometimes. You know, it looks like we're a here flossin with you know, a new Gucci bag, but there's so much that went in and it's for the most part, it's decades of decades. And so I want to take us back to the early days. You know, you started as a hairstylist and entrepreneur, but now you've built these multi million dollar businesses with hair products. You're in real estate as well. But let's go back to like the money Moves philosophy of like how you really looked at entrepreneurship as young Judy, Like how did you get into hair.
Speaker 1: I actually started hair when I was a child, Like I used to take all my end It's crazy that Barbie's coming back, because I used to take all my Barbie dolls and cut all their hair off. So it wasn't that I was trying to make them. I would just change their hairstyles. So their hair will, you know, go from long maybe two sided, and.
Speaker 2: Then a viob did. Now you know, you got to start all over. And so.
Speaker 1: From there I used to sneak my friends in the house to do hair with my parents who were gone, and I just it was something that I had a passion for. So I did hair, and from there I ventured off into doing hair products, which forced me to retire. I didn't say I did it willingly m.
Speaker 3: At the beginning, you know, because there's so many people that are tuning in there listening their hairstylists. How did you know that in order to sort of leave the business, and I look at hair. You know, I was in nursing as well as one of those business where it's your two hands and every minute you're making money. But this idea of like how can I make my money move so I'm making money outside of when I'm actually working on one person's hat.
Speaker 2: It's like being able.
Speaker 3: To scale and grow. How did you know that you needed to do something different to really fulfill the dreams of like making your money move.
Speaker 2: I didn't. That's that's guy's on the street.
Speaker 1: I felt like life is gonna throw you things or force you to see things, or make you have to do something like for me, I was gonna be a hairstylist forever. I was being a hairstylist forever, just making sure that my income increased every year.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: One of my clients cheated on me and she went to Silas and she wound up having a little bitty boss spout in the middle of heare because she went and got a ponytail. And I know how to do ponytails with our boby pans, so that was that was something I pride myself in. So she went to the person and put a Bible in her head, which caused her to have a handscar, and I felt responsible for bringing it back. So from there, I said, well, let me try to see what this looks like. And I had no idea. And when I tell you, I had no idea it was going to turn into all of this. I had no idea, Like, you know, once I started promoting it on social media, because at first I was just selling it to my clients and I just was trying to take their two hundred dollars price point be like ten or two twenty by buying hair products. But then once I started selling it on social media and people was buying it that wasn't in my city, and people was buying it the cities that I had never been to, I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: This might be something.
Speaker 1: This is something right, this might be something. And I felt like God was just telling me that my vision wasn't big enough. And now, you know, as much as I preaching people pray through the process or do this or do that that, you know, it's almost like He opened my eyes to the things that you are saying need to reach more people and the things that you are doing it to reach more people. And I just be isolated to just your chef.
Speaker 3: I love that. And you know, sometimes like the vision. First of all, I want you all to listen up. She was like, God was telling her you got to this bit. I got a vision for you, and it's bigger than what you even think it is. But number two, like sometimes you know, the business ideas come from You've got clients that are coming here, they're spending two hundred dollars. You're like, I just need to up it by ten dollars. And so I think oftentimes people are limited by like, Okay, I need this billion dollar business and a business plan. Sometimes it's th small little nuances that you can, like your set your dream on and build something really big from. It was a ten dollars product increase, but that was going to make a difference in your daily books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then those kind of practices spill over into when you do have those million dollar moments, because how are you to know how to budget a million dollars if you never budgeted one hundred dollars, if you never budgeted.
Speaker 2: A thousand dollars. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Imagine messing up with a million dollars versus messing up with one hundred dollars. I'd rather mess up with one hundred dollars and learn how to you know, spend it properly and how to get it back, then to mess up with a million, because that's something that would be devastating.
Speaker 3: Take to your bed. You take to your bed once you mess up a million. Absolutely, But you know these are the things that again, like you don't hear those little things on social right, you just see I sold my company, or I made this much, or people are showing like I've seen a lot of entrepreneurs who are showing their Shopify sites and like all the money that's rolling in, but it starts with ten dollars.
Speaker 2: I just added.
Speaker 3: I added that ten dollars to my service. Okay, I also want to talk a bit about your journey creating products. How did you go about Okay, you know you had a problem to solve. There was this bald spot and you wanted to provide your clients with like the healthiest hair possible. How do you go back to that first formulation? Because people are addicted to your products.
Speaker 1: Like so I was, I had my own shop, well, me and somebody else did. We had our own shop, and they had people that used to come to our shop every week and sell products. And so there was this guy that I bought from all the time, and I told him I was interested in selling products, and I asked him if I was like, can.
Speaker 2: You hook me up with your people?
Speaker 1: You know, and normally, because I speak this all the time. You don't just give people vendors out. But he literally gave me his team and from there I was like, well, I'm thinking about doing something like this, and they send me something in a real thick form, I'm like, no, I don't like it like that. It needs to be real, like get directly to the scalp, get to the point, bring the hair back without it being you know, something that's a build up with something you have to wash off. So it was about three iterations of it. But yeah, the average and you know what's crazy, And I said this to people. A lot of people think you have to go find this technical thing or this big massive company to get something.
Speaker 2: And you could go on Google.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spent about thirty minutes to hour and get a list of vendors, reach out to them and get prices and even figure out how.
Speaker 2: To get samples for free.
Speaker 1: A lot of people feel like it's got to be, like you said this, big grand I gotta have ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: To be able to buy a samples.
Speaker 1: You better working the same way y'all, working in people, in the relationships out then or whatever it is that you decide to work.
Speaker 2: You better work than business.
Speaker 1: Your business right, try to get them to see you some free samples or if the samples are if the samples are unreasonable, go to somebody else noice.
Speaker 3: And I want to dig into this because this is like you are dropping like how to build your business. And I think for a lot of people they get stuck in like the hows and the whys and like everything has to be perfect. But you know, I will say, like what you said right there about Google, Go on Google, Google vendor Supply, find them and you just you start asking they send samples. This is how business works. This is exactly how business works. You get your samples, you can send back iterations, and that is typically how most people start their business. You know, some people might say, oh, I was in the kitchen cooking with coconut oil, and like there's all these different ways that you can do this and be successful and give people like a quality, quality product, right, And everybody's life is different because you do have the people that are blessed to be able to have a background in figuring out how to mix up together. You have the people that are blessed to be able to have finances, to be able to buy, to be able.
Speaker 1: To pay for a chemist. Then you have the people that don't have a budget and they have the private label. First, yes, you have the product that you wouldn't make up the formula to sell it for a little while, figure out if you like it, like, make sure you like it. If you like it, okay, I want my own formula like this. I want the color to be pink, I want the smell to be strawberry. I want all of that. But it doesn't have to sell with thirty thousand dollars. Sometimes the simple is three hundred.
Speaker 3: There you go, there you go. And that's you know, if you guys are looking in like private label, she is literally giving you the formula here, look up private label like hair products, and you start doing your research there, start building, you know, look at the reviews, look for people who have said they're good partners. And that's and that's how you do it. You'd make your own marketing campaign to slap a label on it. And if you have a customer and client base like you did that you built up over years that trusted you, you got your you got your foot in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tune in Wednesday to continue our conversation with hair care entrepreneur Judy Harris do part. Thanks for listening to today's episode. If we helped you make your money move, please share it with your community, Subscribe and leave us a review on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And Apple podcasts.
Speaker 3: Follow us on social media at Greenwood and visit us at Gogreenwood dot com for more financial tips and remember, money movers. If this were easy, everyone would do it. So take the lessons you've learned from this episode and apply it to your life. Money Moves is an iHeartRadio podcast powered by Greenwood Executive produced by Sunwise Media, Inc. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts from.
Speaker 2: Make sure to.
Speaker 3: Tune in Monday, Wednesday and Friday and subscribe to the Money Moose podcast powered by Greenwood, so that you too can have the keys to financial freedom you so rightly deserve. Until next time,