Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official New York Jets Podcast. Eric Allen here at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, joined by The New York Post. Brian Costello's giving us a few moments of our time. It's Thursday, of his time. It's Thursday right now. You're gonna be catching a plane out later this afternoon. I think most of you are going to be hearing this or watching this on Friday, and in fact, in a few moments you are going to the podium to listen to Georgia tight end brock Bauers. Yeah, what do you think the chances are for the Jets at ten?
Speaker 2: I think it's slimmy. I think they're going to take a tackle, right, everybody does. I'm not, you know, going out out on the limb there. But let's say those tackles are gone the top three eyes. Then Bowers is attractive because you need you know, we talked about receiver a lot with the Jets, but you really just need another weapon on this offense to go with Garrett and Breese, and this.
Speaker 3: Guy's a weapon.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, Jets fans will be happy. Well, some scars from Kyle Brady that still exists. I know they're going back. It's thirty years ago. But whenever I bring up a tight end, they hear about Kyle Brady. So but I still think it's going to be a tackle. But I didn't get they don't go tackle. Bowers is definitely a shot there.
Speaker 4: He's a very interesting prospect. I know. I've asked a few people if.
Speaker 1: They consider him a unicorn, and they mentioned the size. Not the biggest guy in the world, but awfully productive on an offense that is going to send a few guys to the National Football League. With that being said, how would you rate Bauers against those top three receivers? Because you said, hey, offensively playmakers, doesn't matter about the position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think the receivers are higher. Like you look at what has happened at the wide receiver position in recent years. That's become now an elite position. Like you know, he used to be quarterback, left tackle, cornerback and edg Rusher, right, those of the four receivers.
Speaker 3: Joined that mix.
Speaker 2: Like, look at the money they're making and Justin Jefferson is going to reset the market probably soon. Uh, and in the draft, I think those guys are now top top guys right and tight ends. We can see you can see they get you can get them in the second round, you can get them in the third round, and they're productive. So I I do think those receivers are definitely gonna be higher than Bowers.
Speaker 4: We got a couple of months into the draft.
Speaker 1: Is it your sense right here that there are clear top two at the tackle position in pecking order with Joe Walt and Fishiano from your alma Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Fuaga is there right there too from Oregon State. Uh, And so I think it's the top three. Like during the season, you heard a lot about Alt and Fashanu, but I think Fuaga has kind of joined that that mix after the Senior Bowl. So to me, I think it's the top three and then there's a drop off after that. So we'll see how many go in the top ten. You know, I think there should be one there for the Jets. I think because I think those receivers we talked about quarterbacks obviously are gonna go a lot, so there should be somebody there.
Speaker 3: At ten for the Jets.
Speaker 1: All Right, We're gonna get back to the draft. But as far as the recent release of Lincoln Tomlinson, any surprise there considering his cap number.
Speaker 2: I thought they would try to get him to take a pay cut. Maybe they did, I don't know, and then they moved on because I just it didn't make sense to have him at that number, Like his production didn't match the price. But you're creating a hole, and they already had holes to fill on the offensive line and now they have three holes.
Speaker 3: So that part of it. And he was a durable guy, which is what we like.
Speaker 2: We talked about that's been a problem for them, you know, for the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't shocked, Okay. I thought there was a good chance he would get cut.
Speaker 1: Thirteen different starting combinations up front last season, and he's the guy who played every snap.
Speaker 4: Lincoln Thomlinson.
Speaker 1: Jets want to find a permanent home for Elijah Vera Tucker. Where do you think ultimately that could be.
Speaker 2: I think it'll end up being tackle, But I think the market is going to influence it. And I think what you know, you heard Joe Douglas yesterday talking about his versatility and how that helps them to me right, you need three players. It's either two guards in a tackle or two tackles in a guard, and that's where VERA Tucker comes in. If they if they look at free agency, and I think they will look at it like this, go the tackle market's soft, right Like it's there's a lot of older guys, a lot of guys that have durability questions.
Speaker 3: That's not what the Jets need right now.
Speaker 2: The guard markets there's some value, and we know like Douglas likes to search for value. So I think they end up signing two guards. Then you move, you kick Avt out to tackle, and you draft a tackle. But if something changes and there's a tackle that they really like, maybe they sign him and then they just sign a guard and keep Avt at guard.
Speaker 3: But it's they've they're locked in. They want to I don't.
Speaker 2: Really understand the whole They think the injuries are coming because he's moving around. I don't get that too much, but you do need to find him at home. I think it's been tough for him to keep moving around every year.
Speaker 1: He's a unique dude because most guys in today's landscape are not gonna say, hey, listen, just play me wherever you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They want to say play me at left tackle. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, he's he's definitely, you know, a team first guy and has been.
Speaker 3: And but to me, you know, tackle is the more important position.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, if you go back and you look at every game the Jets played, it felt like almost every week there was an edge rusher we were talking about. Yep, that's like you're always it's always a storyline. For me is like, oh, they're playing Miles Garrett this week. Let's go talk to the tackles about what it's like to play Miles Garrett. So there are some great interior rushers, you know, like Chris Jones and uh, you know other guys.
Speaker 3: But to me, the tackle.
Speaker 2: Is is so important and Abt has shown he can play there.
Speaker 1: If you're the Jets, who are you targeting a free agency though at that position?
Speaker 2: At that position, I'm not really sure who they're targeting. I think, like I said, I think the guard market is where you go maybe like a Robert Hunt from Miami and one from New England. He's got flexibility, can play both. I think Joe's gonna be searching for value. If you look at the recent history, he hasn't done well when he's gone the big money first day free agent. Right what he's done well on is that second wave? And like DJ Reid, right, that's the best signing by far in my book. That came you know, that wasn't a big splash on day one. That was after Tyler Conklin. I think it was a really good signing and that came after they signed Uzama, right, So like that came second wave. So to me, I could see him going look at the guard market, watching what happens day one, and then pouncing you know on somebody after that in the guard market.
Speaker 1: But that's why I think Bowers would be a luxury for the Jets because you mentioned Conklind coming off a career high reception. I think it was sixty plus yeah last year, and then Aaron Rodgers is gonna be throwing the ball, right.
Speaker 3: I think you can use two though, And I think what do you think of Rutger.
Speaker 2: I think the jury is still out on him as a receiver. I thought he had some good moments last year. I think he's a good blocker. But to me, you know, Bowers is a dynamic guy, like you could He's almost like another receiver, which we've seen now with Kelsey. Uh. You know, it's it's like adding a receiver when you have that guy out there. So yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I think Conflient has done very well. But I don't know how long Conflidence I'm on the team too, Right, He's an older guy contract stuff.
Speaker 3: So if you get a guy, a really young player that you draft at that position, it could be could be valuable.
Speaker 4: I think it's a leap yer still February, right, Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 1: So this is a difficult question at this point. But do you think the Jets would be more likely to move up in the draft and move back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough on February twenty nine, and I think, uh, I think move up a really. I think of where they're at this is this is winn or go home for Joe Douglas and Robert Sala, Right, I mean what do Johnson made that clear at NFL Honors that they have to win this year. So to me, it's like if there's a tackle that they love more than the other guys, right, and they're not willing to let whoever follow them go up like move up to seven, move like move up and get them right and and so moving back. I just I think the only time chance moving back is if the three eyes are gone and then they don't want it, like they don't want to take powers. Let's just trade back and get some picks. But I don't think they're worried about like not having a second round pick.
Speaker 3: To me, they have a pretty good pick in the third round.
Speaker 2: I think they feel good that they can get two starters out of this draft with where they're at. So I don't think that it's moving back is going to be a priority. And we've never seen Joe do it in the first round, right, He's never moved back in the first round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's moved up. He got for ABT.
Speaker 2: He moves up for Jermaine Johnson, Right, So I would had to bet I'd say moving up.
Speaker 1: He was here yesterday after he spoke at the podium and he told us that he's anticipating in the range of three compensatory selections, but probably all those in the seventh rounds.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I think that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the guys that do those projections online, I've seen you at seventh round.
Speaker 3: I think they may even end up with.
Speaker 2: Mister irrelevant about the projection. They might end up with the last pack of the draft.
Speaker 1: How about that maybe the next So let me ask you with that when we talk about somebody like pretty Aaron Rodgers, We've talked about his age, we know he's coming off the injury. The Jets are gonna be in the backup quarterback market. Yeah, we'll get to that in the second.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Would you draft someone at some point as far as a passers.
Speaker 2: Like late like day three I might draft or undrafted free agency would be a priority, and like as a developmental third guy. And I think I think next year he we're gonna be talking about quarterbacks, you know, even if I think Aaron will still be playing, but I think that's when the Jets will go maybe we need to draft someone that can develop like high, that can develop behind Aaron and watch him.
Speaker 3: So this year, I think.
Speaker 2: It would be a developmental guy like yeah, like end of the draft or a non drafted free agency.
Speaker 1: What a difference a year makes, though, Right when we're here in Indianapolis last year, we're talking about the quarterback hunt being on for the Jets.
Speaker 3: Derek I.
Speaker 2: Stalked Derek Carr out at a hotel in Indianapolis last year.
Speaker 4: Tell us a story.
Speaker 2: Let's go, I just someone called me and said Derek Carr was over at the Marriotte here, and that was the Jets had met with him in Jersey in February and they were meeting with him here the next day. So I just went over and he was with some friends and I just waited him out, and then when he went to went to the elevator bank, I ran over and introduced myself, and he was very polite, said he just wasn't talking, but he was.
Speaker 3: He was nice.
Speaker 2: And then I did hear from people inside the Jets at their meeting the next day, he said, oh, yeah, one of your reporters got me at my hotel and I said, yeah, welcome, Welcome to New York, Derek.
Speaker 4: That's what it's like there you go.
Speaker 1: At that point, I think Goody was talking at the podium one of those days Packer's GM Brian Goodenkiss, of course, did you think that it was ultimately gonna be Rogers?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember what I was before the flight, you know all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was still under contract, and there seemed to be a lot of like.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of momentum.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you, like from a beat writer, perspective, right, Yeah, when you throw something like when you start like throwing speculation out about something like that, if you're if it isn't going to happen, you get some pretty big pushback in the organization, like they'll tell you it'll be like you're completely off on this, And there was no pushback.
Speaker 3: From I remember writing about Rogers right after the season. I did a series like what could they do a quarterback?
Speaker 2: And one piece was Rogers, and I expected them to be like, ah, just down even if they were going to do.
Speaker 3: It, like downplaying it, And there was no downplaying from.
Speaker 2: The people I talked to it, and I'm like, oh, this is They're going to go for this. And so yeah, I didn't know how I was going to play out at that point. I think we had a lot of questions still then, but I did definitely think he was the number one guy.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the messages coming from Joe Douglas speaking at the podium here yesterday.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there was a lot of different ones.
Speaker 2: You know, I think they he he's not shying away from what this year is.
Speaker 3: They need to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's been I think Joe's done a lot of good things, right, but they haven't won games. And I think Joe and Robert they both have there's promise there and I think they both I have shown, you know, that they can do the job. But you got to win games in this league. It doesn't matter what the process looks like. It's it's the results.
Speaker 3: Coaches.
Speaker 2: Coaches loved to talk about process, and GMS loved to about process, but it's about results. So I think he didn't shy away from that, said they have to win, you know, And then I think he hit on a lot of different other topics, but that that was my big takeaway was kind of he he knows what this year is for him.
Speaker 4: He seemed comfortable though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Joe never seems uncomfortable a guy I have never said he's always he's he's a confident guy. I don't think he worries about what's said about him or written about him, you know.
Speaker 3: I think he just he knows he's got to get this done.
Speaker 1: Zach Wilson given permission to seek a trade, what ultimately that market look like?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: What seriously, what could he get in return for a guy who was a former number two.
Speaker 3: Overall? I don't think much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you know, I'm trying to be nice here. Yeah, not because I but he I don't think they'll get.
Speaker 4: Much, but a late round pick is maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: Like here, like people talk about Tree Lance, right, Lances drafted one pick after I saw somebody saying this yesterday, so they got a fifth round pick, right, But Trey Lance never played, so that there was the unknown, right, we all know what the unknown is.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: That's why the backup quarterback is usually the most popular guy, right, because you don't know what he is. We know what Zach Wilson is. He's played three years and it has n't been good.
Speaker 3: I just I think they're gonna have a hard time. I think there are.
Speaker 2: Hard I think maybe they get a pick twenty five for him, that that's fair.
Speaker 3: But I think it'll probably happen right around the draft. I think that that's when. I don't think this is gonna.
Speaker 4: Happen soon, but it will happen.
Speaker 2: If it happens, I I they could end up cutting him. I'm not one hundred percent sold that.
Speaker 3: They'll be able to get something for him, because it's just.
Speaker 2: Uh uh, you know, it was bad on the field, it was bad off the field.
Speaker 3: That's not a good combination. So I don't know. And like you, I go through right, almost everyone gets a second.
Speaker 4: Chance in the NFL everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think if I go.
Speaker 2: Through Jets draft picks and think about guys that didn't work out for first round picks, the only guy who never really ended up at a second place was de Milner, and I don't know why, but he never got a second chance. I everyone else got a second chance, So I think Zach will get it. But I think teams know the Jets are going to cut him at some point, so I'm not sure they'll I'm not sure what they're gonna give up for him.
Speaker 1: What would your wish list be if you're Joe and you're seeking a veteran back up quarterback?
Speaker 3: You know, I like Jacoby Brissett a lot.
Speaker 4: He looked good in my LOFE last year.
Speaker 3: And he looked good in something in Cleveland two years ago.
Speaker 2: He certainly did so like he's played well against them, which I don't know what that's word, but I think he's a good backup.
Speaker 4: Is there a price point you got to look at?
Speaker 3: Well? I think the price points going up, right.
Speaker 2: I think he got eight million last year and he was the how he was the top of the market.
Speaker 3: I gotta feel it's gonna be ten million this year, and I think they'll have.
Speaker 2: To pay up, just because not just you look at the Jets, but also look what happened across the NFL. Backup quarterbacks are now more valuable than ever. I love Minshew, but I think Minshew will probably get an opportunity somewhere to at least be a bridge quarterback of a team.
Speaker 3: In drafting a.
Speaker 2: Rookie Tannehill, you have to look at Tannehill because of all the tech, Todd Downing and Keith Carter and all and everybody. Now Tony Due's like all these guys came from. But I also think Tannehill might be in that market of like somebody looking for a starter for a year, or somebody drafting a quarterback and wants a veteran. I think he might be that. Uh So to be Presette, is that the guy I'm really watching? Tyrod Taylor, I think too. I think you would watch him cross down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he's he's good. He just he has a tough time staying healthy, but he's pretty good.
Speaker 1: So I told fans who're gonna be here on the podcast. So I got a so far, I look pretty good. I don't have too much I didn't control here on my settence Michael Christopher as Brian cust whether Jets put more value on Olu and All because they are really the only true left tackles in draft comparison compared to the right tackles of Fuaga and Geiton and Latham. And then also he throws in there as Mike Williams a consideration for signing if he gets caught by the Chargers to be number two wide receiver this year.
Speaker 4: Let's start with the tackles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's definitely a question. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they view Fuaga as he could play left tackle.
Speaker 3: I do think.
Speaker 2: I do think you can move guys from right to left tackle. You know that was the question right when with Wurfs in twenty twenty. It was, Oh, he's a right tackle. Well look at how he's done. He's done pretty good. Yeah, And so I think I don't think they can't worry about that. I think they need to take the best player and then figure out when they get the man and they can again Abtser still he helps there. I think Abt can play left tackle if they if they needed to. And then Mike Williams, Yeah, I mean I think they would definitely have interest if he comes available.
Speaker 1: Adam b what's a position that Jets will target this offseason that isn't getting much attention from fans?
Speaker 4: I like this question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would go interior defensive line, right, because they have Quinn and then they don't have much else under contract.
Speaker 4: So Quinn Jefferson up, yep, Sally Woods.
Speaker 3: Up, Salomon Thomas.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I think they probably look to bring Jefferson and Thomas back, but they could go a different direction, and that, to me, that's going to be critical.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, if you had a criticism of the Jets defense, it's been against the run, and so they that's right off the middle. They need to get that short up and I think that's going to be a position. And the second one, I go safety, right, like Jordan White heads up?
Speaker 3: What do they do there.
Speaker 4: As well?
Speaker 3: So you know, I think those.
Speaker 2: Are the two positions to watch that aren't getting a lot of attention right now.
Speaker 4: Safety maybe take a flyer on Day three of the draft, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean could I mean again, and and that's also that would be a guy who play special teams right safety exactly right? Is that's that's you know, that's because you have to consider that as well when you're looking at it.
Speaker 1: Davis finding football, he's.
Speaker 2: An interesting guy, right, So, like you know who he reminds me of is Eric Smith?
Speaker 3: Eric Smith? Right Smith?
Speaker 2: Great special teams player, great, and then like he would have like he play a little defense, and he played pretty well, but then like when they tried.
Speaker 3: To make him the guy, he didn't go so well.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering, Like I remember Mike Patton told me about Eric Smith one time. He's like, you love him at three hundred snaps, not so much of a thousand, So Ashton, I don't know, like I can he can he be a thousand snap guy?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. I think they'd be reluctant to do that.
Speaker 4: So we got a couple of minutes with it, Bryce Huff.
Speaker 1: The cap going up in the National Football League, I think to a number that I don't know if a lot of people anticipate is gonna be quite that high.
Speaker 4: So how does that impact the job?
Speaker 3: It helps?
Speaker 2: Right, I mean I think it definitely helps. I think they That was the first thing I heard was from people that, like, you know, they said, oh maybe they maybe this changes things with Huff. Yeah, maybe they can go a little bit higher. I just don't think anyone knows what the market is for Bryce Huff, and I think the Jets might have to let him explore it because maybe it's not gonna be as high as he and his agent think. So I wouldn't be shocked yea if he hits free agency right, goes out, sees what he can get, and the Jets have to hope he comes back to them and says, you know what this is what so and so offered?
Speaker 3: Are you? Are you going to meet it? So?
Speaker 2: I think I think that's the big thing, is the market. And then is he content being part of rotation or does he feel like he wants to play on first and second now more? And will some team tell him he's going to do that? That's also a factor in this.
Speaker 1: What do you make of Rogers before he gets back here in April?
Speaker 4: And I would expect he's going to be around the team quite a bit.
Speaker 1: I really think he embraced the area and the organization quite a bit.
Speaker 4: What he's facing ahead.
Speaker 1: Being where he's at at this point of his career, where I think all of a sudden after last year, all this hype around the team and the organization, now kind of people, I think people are forgetting how good he has been in the past, or maybe they're counting him out and they just don't believe that a forty year old who's going to be forty one can Can he climb this mountain again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I take down at your own risk, right, I mean, the guy's in NFL legend for a reason.
Speaker 3: Is he going to be what he was in twenty twenty?
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, I don't know if he can duplicate that, but even a little bit diminished Aaron Rodgers, it's still better than anything that Jets have had in you know, years and years and years. So I just saw you O'Connor, my former colleague.
Speaker 3: He's coming.
Speaker 2: He has a book coming out. Yeah, And he tweeted yesterday he's just he spent some time with Aaron and California recently and he said, Aaron's bigger. He bulked up, so he added some size, And I think this guy is going to be on a mission, right, Like he hears all the stuff that you just talked about, and I think he's probably he's probably taking a little taken aback right now, of like, because last year he came in and it was a love fest and it was it's not always like that around the jetsa you might know on Twitter and such, and so now like the team's getting little, you know, there's there's a little lot of doubt, there's a lot of criticism.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to.
Speaker 2: Be fired up and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a really good season.
Speaker 4: If Aaron Rodgers says a really good season, Jets are playoff team.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the key to Aaron Rodgers having a really good season right is keeping him up right. And that's what we talked about with the offense. That's what we're talking about. The offensive line they got. They got to keep him up right, and they got to keep him playing and give him some more help on offense.
Speaker 4: Will the Jets be in the market for a free agent receiver.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I think they have to be.
Speaker 4: We were talking about it before we came back.
Speaker 2: The receiver market's tough because so many guys get tagged and you know, we just heard Chris Ballard said yesterday Pittman's gonna be tagged or I think he said he will use it as a tool, but didn't sound like Pittman's going anywhere. I do think the Bucks are going to resign Mike Evans. He's gonna off the market. So Calvin Ridley is the guy to be that's gonna be the top of the market. And we'll see, you know, I think the Jets will be interested.
Speaker 1: All right, So you got to go to Bauer's podium and then you are going to catch a flight a great stuff.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anything to add on Hardman or beyond Dawkins this week, that's just amazing. I didn't have any of this stuff on my Bengal card before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, I would just say with mikhole Harmon, take some of this with a grain of salt.
Speaker 3: Uh, the guy got traded.
Speaker 2: I think Thomas Morris had said it pretty well, right, you know, Xavier, like you got beat up by Xavier Gibson.
Speaker 3: That's pretty tough to take.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't do anything with the team really, so you know he's he's an unhappy guy with the team. So I don't go crazy with that. Dean Dawkins. I think I can't wait to see the Buffalo game. Yeah, I think it's gonna be chippy. Yeah, I think you know, uh, I I understand these beef with Clemons.
Speaker 3: I get it Clemens. I think Clemens.
Speaker 2: I have some issues with the way Clemens kind of carries himself and stuff. So I think I get that. I didn't understand kind of making it all about.
Speaker 4: The entire organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and like also saying like there when you say Instagram, like their Instagram, and then he was sitting with his shirt off doing a podcast.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, okay, like you know, it.
Speaker 2: Was an interesting take, but the game is gonna be fun. It adds a layer which is great for me. The first thing I know was, oh boy, that's gonna be a fun week, you know, writing about that, because some of the guys went back at him on Twitter and stuff.
Speaker 3: So it's it's gonna be interesting. But it's amazing Jets. The Jets, there's always in the middle of everything.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 4: God's enjoyed it. Thanks buddy, all right, thank you.