Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's hear it for the man, the myth our super producer Max Uh think about things, Williams.
Speaker 2: What what? What? What? What? Max? The more you know Williams. Wait, No, Ben, you were referencing a Doddy FREYERTI oh, yes, our Dotti from the Nordic climbs of Iceland. Way No, Iceland's the Green One, Greenland's the Cold One.
Speaker 1: Ah Yes, classic bait and switch. I am Ben bowling for the purposes of this show, that is, mister Noel Brown. We are talking about something as very exciting for us and may well end up being a two part series. Guys, Guys, Eurovision.
Speaker 2: Is this like a special pair of glasses that makes everyone look like they're eating bars of chocolate and smoking cigarettes?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I think we're still in the brainstorming phase. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I like that, bitch.
Speaker 1: We also know it as the Eurovision Song Contest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, folks stateside who maybe aren't familiar and maybe the closest analog over here might be something in the neighborhood of American Idol, a talent show extravaganza featuring performances by various artists, in this case singing original songs, and then they are judged. But I believe in euro Vision, man, it is a much more of a democratic process rather than Simon Cowell or Randy what's his face just telling you he's not feeling a dog.
Speaker 1: Oh. Democratic, What an interesting word to use for this. Also known as the Colkus Revision de la Chanceon, it's a huge deal across the pond. Almost every year since nineteen fifty six, various countries, not all of which are in Europe, submit an original song that is supposed to represent their culture, and it has performed and broadcast live via the Eurovision and euro Radio networks. Noel, this thing is nuts. It is way before the autre spectacles of American performance shows like The Voice or America's Got Talent or that other one you mentioned, what was that.
Speaker 2: Again, American Idol, which I've always found funny. The idea of a pop idol, it just seems very inherently sacrilegious, especially being that we are such a you know, a religious country these days. We're not supposed to worship idols right.
Speaker 1: Right now, Far before these American performance shows, Eurovision brought this stunning, electric, occasionally downright bizarre music to the masses, and we're going to argue that it has gone far beyond your typical songwriting or talent show.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It is an acknowledged example of what we call soft diplomacy.
Speaker 2: Soft diplomacy. Indeed, it is a way of reaching across geographical and ideological barriers in order to you know, mend fences and to make peace, not war, at least in theory.
Speaker 1: In theory, in theory, right yeah, just like communism. It's great and let's get into it. While Eurovision officially launched way back in nineteen fifty six, we can argue the real story begins a few years earlier in son Remo, Italy or son Remo Italy if you want to be that.
Speaker 2: Guy about it.
Speaker 1: That is the home of the son Remo Musical Festival or music festival.
Speaker 2: I do love a good music band ben the San Ramo Music Festival. The first edition of this fest in San Ramo, Italy was held between the twenty ninth and thirty first of January in nineteen fifty one, and ever since then it has happened more or less every single year, making it the longest running annual television music competitions and one of the longest running TV programs overall in the world.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool, man, I think it's pretty Italians did it first.
Speaker 1: The Italians. Italians do it better, it in a more stylish way. The Italian contest highlights composers rather than singers themselves, and it captivated regional audiences. It also inspired a ton of people in the media landscape, especially a guy named Marcel Besencolt. He's a Swiss journalist. He's a medium mogle, he's top brass. He's the director of the European Broadcasting Union between nineteen fifty four and nineteen seventy, so he's kind of liked their Lorne Michaels.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting, Ben, because the idea of the early versions of what we're talking about today featuring composers makes a whole lot of sense. In the fifties, especially in Europe, but even in the United States. I mean, composers were kind of the first rock stars, kind of the first pop stars, and classical music, even contemporary classical music was you know, occupying a similar space to what we think of today, as you know the top forty hits. Right, oh yeah, just so, And if.
Speaker 3: I can jump in here real quick, I've just gone down a rabbit hole recently watching old Simpson's clips and it's really enjoyablecause you remember how great the show is. And there's one from like I guess it was like they saw spinal Tap play and there's a riot afterwards, and the Natives reporter Ken Brockman's like, so, like, you know, here's my two cents on this is rock concert. Why we have riots? No, people were rioting from mostart back in the day. So my solution, let's ban all music.
Speaker 2: Right classic Ken, He walked down the street for that one. But I mean no, he's referencing, of course, the riots that took place like during the Rights of Spring by Stravinsky, which was famously such an alarmingly ooh tree, an outlandish piece of modern classical music that went against all of the kind of traditional standards that people were used to for classical music, like atonality and having a lot more dissonance and you know, just kind of aggressive, you know, music that also had some pretty aggressive dancing that went along with it. It did lead to riots when it was premiered.
Speaker 1: Right, it also calls to mind the phenomenon of Listomania. Shout out to Phoenix another Europe France and in nineteen fifty four, the year hour Pal Marcel becomes the director of the European Broadcasting Union. He arrives at this new position with a preloaded pitch. He says, why not take what they're doing at San Remo and go bigger with it? Now, to Marcel, this has a huge profit motivation because if they can make a show like What's happening in Italy and they can broadcast it throughout Europe, then they're going to save a lot of money because now they have the same program right, so that they don't have to pay extra one per one. They just have to send this thing out to wherever they can. And he also he got a little bit on a soapbox about this, and he was saying, hey, guys, we're gonna make a lot of money, We're gonna save a lot of money. But this is more than a neat television program. This is a way for us to unite the nations of post war Europe again. Nineteen fifty four. Right, so World War two has already happened. But we need to keep in mind that even a decade pasted the end of World War Two, Europe was still pretty much wrecked. Like it was not ideal, No, no, it was definitely a yeah. When they say post war, they get it was in the shambles. The infrastructure was, you know, very very significantly.
Speaker 2: Damaged, as was morale. So people needed something, you know, something peppy enough beat to focus on, and something that could potentially unite the different countries in Europe that maybe had some beef with one another. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: We have to recall that unlike the United States, which managed to preserve the vast majority of its infrastructure and economy, the Great War of World War Two left a lot of Europe just absolutely wrecked and demolished. People are still trying to rebuild by the mid nineteen fifties. And there are countries that have been enemies during the war. There are countries that had also historically been dixed to each other for centuries before. It's not as if an official peace treaty he suddenly made all these folks BFFs.
Speaker 2: No, No, absolutely not. And a lot of these simmering resentments, of course, remained, and what better to get some folks to simmer down from some of those resentments than to unite them through song. At least that's what Marcel was thinking. He was looking at this situation as a kind of win win. There's a lot of power in unifying people through the shared love of music. And of course he was not blind to the potential profits that there were to make bling.
Speaker 1: Bling every time time I come around your city. Right, So the first official Eurovision conte Oh spoiler, Marcel's plan works. So the first official Eurovision contest takes place on May twenty fourth in Switzerland in nineteen fifty six. And this is historic for multiple reasons, the chief of which is that it was one of the earliest attempts in all of history to broadcast a live, televised event to a huge international market. Now, this is not the Eurovision that you're going to see in twenty twenty seven or anything like that. There were only a few countries that took part in the contest. Nol And there's some of our favorites. There's Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg. What are you guys doing the scamps, the Netherlands and swits Ridge, I know, right also, but we got to think about this. Nineteen fifty six Germany like the main bad guys of World War two.
Speaker 2: Bad they were the baddies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now they're going, well, let's see if Vickan sing a song, they can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The journal has a lovely, lovely tradition of song. So the first.
Speaker 1: Edition again is so different from the spectacle we know today. You could not have a musical group. So if Max mill yours truly and all our fellow ridiculous historians to get together and we have a banger song representing the Netherlands, they're not going to let us in. It can only be for the first year a single singer. The song cannot be longer than three and a half minutes. And as sort of a fig leaf for an olive branch, you get a twenty four piece orchestra accompanying you. You also get two chances. You get two chances.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is also back in the day where like you know, you had symphony orchestras associated with different broadcast companies and you know, like the RCA Radio Orchestra, and so much of this stuff was performed live, and again, we are still very much in the heyday of classical music being king, you know, and I mean a lot of times like these pop songs or early sort of proto versions of pop songs were kind of looked down upon. So we're starting to kind of see a combination of those things, and we're starting to see the earliest emergence of the singer songwriters solo pop kind of persona.
Speaker 1: Sure. Yeah, again, the demi gods, the idols. Right in a secular world where you know, spirits and gods are not necessarily real, what do you worship celebrities? They took that position in society. You also in your nineteen fifty six inaugural Eurovision and uh, you get to submit as a country two songs, but they don't have to be performed by the same artists. So I could have Max Vogan Flu name I made up for you, Max, especially.
Speaker 3: Maxic that actually birth names so low.
Speaker 2: But you know what, good eye you buddy, So.
Speaker 1: We could have You're welcome buckeroo, we could have we could have Vogan Flu do uh two songs by himself with the orchestra, or we could have Max do one song and then we could pull another you know, up and comer uh to a second song. And the contestants originally get evaluated by a bunch of reps from these different countries, and they give you points for each performance. Each country sends two jury members over to watch the show in Switzerland and they cast their votes in secret. Noel, but it's super biased.
Speaker 2: For sure. And I'd love to just correct a statement that I made earlier. Less than the American Idol heads out there are yelling at their podcast device, there is, of course a voting, a viewer voting component to American Idol. I made it sound like it was all about Randy and Simon and you know whatever, Paula, you know, make him the call. Ultimately, they are the ones that call the herd, let's just say, you know, and they're the ones that are kicking folks to the curb who don't have what it takes to make the finals. Once we have that you know, crew assembled of the finalists, then I believe every episode involves in the ability to vote from home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to jump in here, since we're talking about American Idol, can y'all. You know, they just revived American Idol, can y'all, name the judges. Hell, no, no, Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan and Lionel Ritchie.
Speaker 2: They're both country people two thirds of the country, folks.
Speaker 1: Is that a real name?
Speaker 2: Luke Bryan is a is a famous country singer? On purpose? Huh? On purpose?
Speaker 1: Oh cool?
Speaker 2: Lionel Richie, though I've not this is no, no, that's I don't have the greatest confidence in this paneling judges. Guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been He's been doing a lot of stuff as young Lionel.
Speaker 2: It just it just feels like a bit of a half hearted reboot, is what I'm getting at.
Speaker 3: I mean, Ryan Seacrest is still there. And I don't know how I've told you all this, but I I graduated from the same high school that Ryan Seacrest went to.
Speaker 2: That's like he's our co he's our coworker by they.
Speaker 3: Technically technically yeah, that's like, that's like my high school's like one claim to fame they have. At least when I was there, they had football jersey up in the lot in the weight room, people like when you played football, and like, yeah, I honestly think he was the kicker.
Speaker 2: He is a handsome man with the gift of gab and it's uh, it's cool.
Speaker 1: To find success in entertainment, it's difficult. So in nineteen fifty six, these seven participating countries and their broadcast arms. They're saying, we're going to cast our votes. We're going to cast our votes in secret. So at this point the audience is not chiming in even though this is a televised event. And get this, our lovable scamps over in Luxembourg are not able to make it to the show. I think they were too rich or something with their scheduling. So their friends, the Swiss representatives, voted on Luxembourg's behalf. This was very much a biased affair because these jury members were allowed to vote for their own entries. And as a result of this, there is a conspiracy see that begins in the very first year of Eurovision. People still wonder how the votes went, how they should have gone. Was the voting rigged the winner was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a question that's kinda continue and to the president. We're gonna get to that in part two of this series. But Ben, what was the issue up front? They're already having scandal. It's literally year one of Eurovision and there's already a problem with this whole idea of soft diplomacy through song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So hypothetically, think of it this way. We have a country named, in a burst of humility, Benvania, right, and the country of Benvania sends its top brass, its best and brightest.
Speaker 2: It's envoy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the two envoys, Noel von Brown and Max what was that name? What was your birth name? Again it's lost to history. Okay, Well, it sends these two guys to vote on Eurovision, but there's nothing stopping them from saying, we're gonna vote Benvania and we're going to screw up the whole election. Either way, Switzerland wins the first one.
Speaker 2: Ah, the Swiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the host country as well.
Speaker 2: Ghost country. Aren't they traditionally kind of known as being diplomatically neutral, Yes, they are the neutral country. Issues come up already challenging that neutrality. It seems that there's what's the opposite of neutrality, bias? Yeah, a little bit of that. Yeah, well put.
Speaker 1: The first winner of Eurovision is now known as the ground Dome of Eurovision, lis Acia. She performed two songs for Switzerland. One was called the Old Carousel. It is a German language and Noel, could you do me a favor and help us out with the pronunciation?
Speaker 2: Ah Ben, you honor me with the opportunity to pronounce something in my native tongue. As you know, I was once a small German boy. The old carousel or does alta carousel? Okay, cahoussell, Let's see if we can find a clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. Also, while you're looking for the clip, King, give us that German one more time. But if you can more emphatic.
Speaker 2: Oh man, thank you so much for the second opportunity to overpronounce something in my native tongue. As you know, I was once a German boy. That's alta cows clip. Let's roll the clip. We got it, We got it, guys by Liz already see how this is like much more like a classical piece.
Speaker 1: Definitely sounds yeah, it definitely sounds like. There's twenty four people in the orchestra.
Speaker 4: N s ferchib.
Speaker 1: So this is again, as you said, No, this is dos alte Carousel, the old Carousel. This is one of the two songs that the Grand Dame of Eurovision submits, but it is not the one that wins the day. Her winning entry is a song in the French language, because you know German and French or common languages in Switzerland. This is a ballad called refrain, So let's play a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: That one, isn't that a little redundant? Is about like refrain. It just refers to like the chorus. I think that's so funny. Let's see if we can find.
Speaker 1: Here we go, same guys in the orchestra, y'all.
Speaker 2: I can see why this one won the day though, because it's a lot more upbeat. That last one was kind of a bummer, a little bit of a you know, like a wistful, you know, reflection on the past. This one kind of bops. Yeah, it's a little sweeter, hotjazz, whatever the ear version of mouthfeel is. You know, it's a little nicer. And then from there Eurovision is off to the races, or in this case, the microphone. More and more countries are becoming involved with the show from nineteen fifty six and the format kept changing. Right now, over forty countries compete, and so the show involves a lot of knockout rounds or semi finals we could call them, before the finals night occurs. The final night, as we can tell you because we have been watching a lot of Eurovision. The final night is pretty long. It's twenty six acts at no more than three minutes each. Getting a shot on stage can be complicated, but luckily the rules to qualify for your performance are pretty simple. They've got five rules, and they break the fifth one all the time. They sure do, Ben, they sure do. Here we go. Rule number one is it must be a new song tune, the musical composition and the lyrical content the libretto right.
Speaker 1: Right, So sorry, Estonia, Norway, there's no death metal version of Mary had a little lamb that you can pull off. Yeah, no, that'd be fun though.
Speaker 2: And can I just add to that, we're not gonna play clips throughout this entire series. I think it was important that we were able to kind of show you how it progresses a little bit with some of these vintage clips. But of course this would get closer and closer to the modern day. We're gonna be hit with copyright strikes, so we're gonna do our best to demonstrate some of the evolution without you know, playing too too many clips.
Speaker 1: Maybe with some bad impressions. Everybody tune in. Also funny, Yeah, The second rule sacer sanct is that your performance must be no longer than three minutes.
Speaker 2: And I will die on this hill. No good pop song worth its salt should be and movies should be no more than one point five hours. WHOA, really, I'm just kidding, but like you know, I do love you know, brevity, man, brevity, brevity, so the soul of wit.
Speaker 3: I was talking to my dad about two thousand and one of Space House and I'm like, Dad, you know it's like fifteen movies, it's like forty eight hours longest. Like it's not my voice four hours longest.
Speaker 2: Well, that it is. Yes.
Speaker 1: I remember when Gettysburg, the not the Battle, the film based on the battle, was out in theaters and they had an intermission and I thought we could leave, but my creepy family made me stay.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I do remember the good old days where movies like that of that length had to be served up to you on two rubber banded VHS tapes that would like flop together. That's right.
Speaker 1: Oh did I ever tell you guys? My first time seeing The Godfather's series was through VHS tape and it was it was exactly what you're describing, Nol. This was blockbuster for anybody who was also old at last video. Yeah, and they had the two VHS tapes and of rubber banded together, but they put the tapes in the wrong order. So I'm watching this, I'm thinking, whoa, this is so nonlinear. This is groundbreaking, crazy artistry in the forefront. What's going to happen has already happened. And then later one of my friends said, hey, man, you know they have a little sticker on the tapes. One one says number one and the other says number two.
Speaker 2: It's sad that we're not going to make that kind of mistake so much anymore, you know. In the well, actually, that's not true. I have accidentally started watching the last episode of a series on streaming before and not understand that that's what was happening, And then also had a similar thought, whoa, this is wild. They're just dropping me in and Minie Rres I'm supposed to like, No, I don't know this is I'm here for it, but I have I have spoiled a handful of series for myself that way. Where are we at with rules?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the main thing is, just like podcasting, you cannot do lip syncing, so vast apologies to Kid Rock. All the song shots fired, Brosby sung live, Oh No, you're right, performed live. I wouldn't call what he does singing.
Speaker 2: No, my god, Ben, who hurt you? Was it? Kid Rock? Where is Kid?
Speaker 1: Where is Kid? He's definitely not at Eurovision because no lip syncing is allowed and no are tripling. Our fourth rule is our fourth rule is I think probably? I think it's an apology to the backstage production.
Speaker 2: I get it. And this is also the kind of thing that could evolves as a show, and a production like this evolves because as we know, of course, big you know, singing groups, boy bands, girl groups, things like that became very in vogue. But initially they had the rule of no more than six people on stage, which seemed to beat to your point, Ben, a way of mitigating chaos and nightmarish you know, changeovers between sets.
Speaker 1: And this brings us to the number five rule, the most important one, which is also the slipperiest and also the rule that is most broken most years. No politics. All right, So if we're Chechia, or if we're hungry, or the United Kingdom or Israel, which we'll get to in part two, then your stuff is supposed to be a political It's just supposed to be a cool bop that is not more than three minutes long.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's be real, man, this is an unrealistic and unreasonable expectation for a competition that was started with the acknowledgment that these countries, many of which did not like each other, were meant to compete together. You know what I mean. I get the sentiments. Heart is in the right place, but it's also a little bit pie in the sky. So while Eurovision was always intended to be a political there have been many scandals and trends towards political voting, where countries vote for their neighbors and shun nations that they'd had issues within the past. This has been combated to a certain degree by introducing more national juries who have their professional judgment added in with the public vote. But let's be real, man, Whenever there's voting involvement, it's called voting. If politics baby.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly, Yeah, it's called voting. I love that, actually, Max, Can you do me a favor and play that back as a clip of Noel saying that nol, I'm going to make you hear yourself.
Speaker 2: It's called voting.
Speaker 1: It's called voting brilliant exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I coined the term, by the way.
Speaker 1: And so with that, folks, we have to tell you a little bit about how Eurovision works now and with great affection, with profound love, we want you to know this is kind of ridiculous. So every country that participates in Eurovision has their own sort of bush league or farm league selection process. That's how they choose one original song, one act. It can take a couple of different forms, like there may be regionally or nationally known artist who gets approached by that country's government and that government says, hey, you're the you know, you're the hottest ticket in Romania. You should sing your song that you did earlier. That'll represent us in Eurovision. Or it might be the next step for an artist who wins their country's own song compy, because a lot of them have them at this point. So for example, if you are Italian and you win the San Remo Music Festival, you get what we call the first right of refusal to participate in Eurovision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, obviously it's a great honor to be asked, but and most people would, of course, you know, jump at the chance to represent their country in Eurovision, but it also doesn't necessarily mean like it's not the same as American Idol in this respect, American Idol is about kind of being an unknown and then being elevated to pop star status, whereas Eurovision the varying degrees of fame, of pre existing fame. They are kind of pre existing acts or groups that are then seen as a representative of that particular nation, and they may well be incredibly popular, but typically that popularity would not extend far beyond the borders of that particuleicular country.
Speaker 1: Right, you got to have your stripes at least for your country.
Speaker 2: We're going to get into some of our personal favorites as well. Yeah, some that we've actually seen.
Speaker 1: Live, similar to the Olympics, which is kind of what this is. You might not be the best poll vaulter in the world yet, but you kind of have to be the best poll vaulter in Poland to get into.
Speaker 2: Where all good pole vaulters come from. It's right there in the name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep, they do call it Poland. So the composition of the act has also evolved. It's much broader than it was originally. So as we said the first contest they only have solo artists. The next year, nineteen fifty seven, they allow duos. They get a little you know, Simon and Garfunkel with it, and they continually open the door to more and more types of acts. So today you might see a solo singer, you might see a band, You might see a nominal dancing turkey puppet, which weirdly enough, was from Ireland. I wish we could play a clip, but it's not going to translate to audio.
Speaker 2: No, Now that's weird, though I don't really think of Ireland as being the land of dancing turkeys.
Speaker 1: You got to check out the show Man and so the only real rules that hold are a song must be brand new, it must be under three minutes, it has to be sung live on stage. After that, it's all about spectacle, creativity, showmanship.
Speaker 2: May we say or may I say? And you may feel free to agree or disagree with me, Ben and Max, But I think the live stand component is so cool and so unique, even to this day, where we have had a lot made out of another incredibly popular music show out of Europe called Top of the Pops, oh where famously it's great but famously all the band's lip sync because of the logistics of the production and if you're interested in checking out some folks kind of pushing back against that. There is an incredible performance of Nirvana on Top of the Pops where like he just I think Kurt is just like pretending to play guitar, like, oh my god, he's got like he's like a straight hand while strumming the guitar and just kind of like basically is just saying blah blah blah and marble mouth mumbling kind of to the to the playback of smells like teen Spirits. So the live singing aspect is super important and relatively rare for live music television shows in Europe.
Speaker 1: Now you can have a backing band. At this point, the twenty four piece orchestra is gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can. You can have that.
Speaker 1: You could have backing you could have a backing track back in track pop Star, but you will have to actually be singing. And I also want to give a shout out to the Jules Holland show. Do you guys remember him?
Speaker 2: Incredible, incredible, some fabulous performances. It's called Late Night with Later with Jules Holland. Late it's not on. Yeah, it's called Later with Jules Holland, and you can see incredible performances of bands from the nineties, I think up through the two thousand. The Sun is really really fabulous and they are incredibly well produced and entirely live. Jules Holland himself was actually a weird sort of niche pop artist in the UK. He's a piano player. And there is a pretty interesting film, a music film called erg a Music War, which highlights a couple of interesting scenes in the eighties, one from Los Angeles and one from London where you've got bands like the Dead Milkman, Oingo Bueno featuring Danny Elfman, who of course went on to become a super famous film composer, and Jules Holland is featured in that as well. So yeah, there's an incredible tradition of music performance shows and the music and art documentary trees that are produced. A lot of these things you can find on YouTube, but just had to make the Top of the Pops comparison. How some of these music shows, because of production logistics, did not allow for actual live performance. So it's a pretty big deal that from its earliest days where production technology wasn't nearly where it got to. Eurovision was all about that live element.
Speaker 1: And Eurovision when it reaches its apex every year, it takes place over three big nights. The thing is a lot of work goes into selecting those songs in advance, so well before those three nights, countries will randomly draw lots to determine which semi final they are in, and then which half of that semi final they are in. From there, it all goes to our producers, our showrunners. They arrange the acts in the way that they feel has the best pay you know what I mean. So they don't want to really slow solo singer ballads one after the other. Right, they want to paste it out. They want to put in their dancing Turkey puppet to liven things up. So you might be Ireland and you might get you might randomly get assigned semi final two and first half of that semi final. That means you are performing earlier in the show that night, but you don't know exactly where you're placed until the showrunners tell you, until they mandate it. And so in each of these semi finals, they're also mixing up the countries, right only the top acts advance to the big night, the grand finale. There are some exceptions to this, we'll get to them in a moment, But that makes sense, right, just from a production standpoint, like if the if the four of us, Max Noll yours truly and you, fellow ridiculous historian, if we're the four people who are running the show. We wanted to have a good vibe, right, like we want to curate it. We want to DJ a little for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want to do any have any train wreck moments, right, that's what they call it when a DJ screws up the tree? Is that really what they call it? Have you seen? Maybe that's a colloquialism that it was only in my circles, but it makes sense. You can picture it right when you do a bad beat match, or you do everything screeching to all God forbid, you have dead air, you know?
Speaker 1: Oh right? Yeah, And that's what that's what these show runners are terrified of as well. So, okay, we got two nights, we got all these semi finals occurring after everybody votes, and we'll get to the voting in part two. The big day arrives and this is the main event. This is where the best of the best caveat Asterisk compete for ultimate bragging rights. You get a really cool trophy, you get a place in music history. And as we could tell you folks, the performances are galvanizing. The energy is electric. It's a very kinetic sort of situation. Be amazing to go there live. They have pyrotechnics, you know what I mean, Like they have puppetry, they have like they have people in the air.
Speaker 2: It's pretty, of course. No, it's a spectacle, man, it's a regular there. We are a regular Empire of the Sun and then insert any other theatrical type performance. But it's cool. It has become known as much for its music and tunefulness and you know, singing prowass on display as it has for its spectacle.
Speaker 1: Absolutely one hundred percent. And with this we're going to pause on a bit of a cliffhanger. So we've given you the ridiculous, well intentioned history and origin story of Eurovision. But we have questions to explore in chapter two of this series. How does the voting actually work? What did we mean when we said soft diplomacy. What's up with all these controversies that the guys are referring to and what are the weirdest songs from Eurovision? We can't wait for you to join us in our second episode on the ridiculous history of Eurovision. Big big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams. Max, do you have a favorite Eurovision song?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I can't remember the name of it. I got two they're from the same Eurovision, but it's the one with the Norwegian guys singing about bananas.
Speaker 2: That's probably my favorite one classic. I love a Norwegian singing about a banana that is not native to their region.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very strange, A pivotal piece of Norwegian culture, as you can imagine. Big thanks to Alex Williams, our own in house composer.
Speaker 2: Now that you have to be able to grow a banana to sing about a banana, I'm not Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're not gatekeeping bananas, no nol.
Speaker 2: You've got you and I. We can't grow bananas here. I mean it's fine.
Speaker 1: You and I both have a lot of weird favorite Eurovision hits. We're going to get to in chapter two. But he got one off the top that just really sings to you.
Speaker 2: I reserve the right to hold there. We response until part two when we talk about my guy. But man, this is super fun. I think it makes a whole lot of sense to pair the voting part with the controversy part, because they are quite related, as we've already alluded to with some of the biased voting. And boy are we going to get into how this has been incredibly politicized and weaponized.
Speaker 1: Yeah too, Yeah, And speaking of weaponized and politicized, not a thank you but a chilly civil formal acknowledgment of Jonathan Strickland aka the Quister.
Speaker 2: I think I see, how do you?
Speaker 1: I think it was in Eurovision one time I could see bald, Yeah, I can see, I can see the performance.
Speaker 2: Big thing was blinding.
Speaker 1: He did a cover blinded by the light and the judges kicked him out because it has to be an original composition. Strix one to grow on big thanks to Chris raassiotis Eve's Jeffcoat.
Speaker 2: Who else? They're here in spirit and also huge things as you said to you know whatever, a chili at Chili, how do you do to Jonathan Strickland the quizz or a j Bahamas Jacobs the Puzzler, Because we got to thank them in the same breath, because that's just how it goes. Alex Williams, our own Eurovision star who composed this bangin bop that you hear in your very ears that could well have held its own in a Eurovision Asque competition.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Now we just need the lyrics and big thanks to the rude dudes of Ridiculous Crime. If you dig us, you will love them, so tune in get THEE to thy podcast platform of choice. I have been our research associate for this series and Noel, thanks to you, man, I can't wait for part two of this.
Speaker 2: It's gonna get so weird. Same, See you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows