Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty Armstrong and Petty Enough He.
Speaker 2: Arms drawn, Joe and I aren You can't see it because radio, but Joe and I are both standing here wearing barrels with straps In the classic.
Speaker 1: Was when was it a thing?
Speaker 2: If you were poor, you lost all your money, you could wear a barrel with straps?
Speaker 1: Was that a thing? That's just cartoons?
Speaker 2: I've seen from the olden days as an item of clothing. A barrel seems particularly ill suited, right, even if you're of a meager means, right, seems like a barrel would be like the last thing you'd turn to. How about a potato sat ritually anything but a barrel with straps anyway, Live from Studio Seaea's in your dimly let room.
Speaker 1: Deep within the bow the Bowels, the Friday Bowels.
Speaker 2: Of the Armstrong and Getty Communications Compound, And as you all know, the weekend bowels can be different than the week balls. Today we're under the tutelage of our general manager. Still tariffs. Yeah, well I'm backlash. That's the four lash eyelash that's that's fair. I still don't think it's fair to talk about, however, four trillion dollars of American wealth wiped out, because it's just the way the stock market works. I mean, you don't do that every day, because every day you can say, you know, on a random Wednesday, you could say, four hundred billion dollars of American wealth wriped out, and then the next day, oh my god, six hundred billion gained in the the next day two billion wiped out. That's just the way it worked, right, It's it's clickbaity and silly. On the other hand, I will tell you this, if you only listened to the early part of the show yesterday and the rest of the world were able to puzzle out some of what the figures that the administration put out really were and what they meant, and they were a little misleading the way they were labeled. And so I understand the policy a little better. The more I understand, the less I like it. Frankly, oh boy, because I wanted Kamla to get erected, I just thought i'd.
Speaker 1: Save you the trouble of saying that.
Speaker 2: I am having a lot of trouble finding my favorite economic thinkers saying this will work as planned. I mean, whether the goals are noble, or whether you like tariffs in general or not. The question always as a conservative, if you are not a realist, you're a bad conservative, You're just like a wacky ideologue. The question is will it work as advertised in a way that benefits the American peace in the long term. And I'm having trouble finding people saying, oh, yes, yes it will. Uh well. Trump has been into this is whole adult life. We got some clips from the eighties where he talks about this.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: He once said tariff is the most beautiful word in the English language. Then he said maybe God, maybe love, but I like tariff top three.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, he gets a how cool.
Speaker 2: You know, I've got theories on life too, but I I'm never going to be in a position to like put them on the world to see if they work. And he gets to put his theory onto the world and see if it works. Yeah, indeed, and we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. I think the first and second tier effects though, of tariffs are not what some folks expect them to be. Well, like, we're going to play later a speech from Nancy Pelosi from the nineties where she's talking about how tariffs are the answer, and Democratic politicians have been talking about it for a long time. That's why they're being pretty quiet about it. It's been their theory forever. It's kind of interesting that Trump's going with it, and then you know, Republicans are then following him into what has been a Democratic talking point for years. I'm not into the hole just because it was or is either party's talking point. It's automatically good or bad. But it is true. Yes, yeah, no, anyway, So that's why we're standing here in a barrel straps. I mean I didn't retire yesterday. Did you retire yesterday? So you know what the what my four one K is yesterday isn't as important as what it is ten years from now or whatever. Well I was going to retire today, No I can't. So if my attitude seems a little crappy, that's why, you know, the old incredibly discouraging saying that in politics, if you're explaining, you're losing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is discouraged.
Speaker 2: It is impossible to discuss tariffs without a lot of explaining.
Speaker 1: I mean, like when your eyes glaze over. You're about a third of the way home.
Speaker 2: It's what it does to economic growth, and what it does to exports tariffs and retaliation and revenue growth, and what are the goals of tariffs and are they contradictory?
Speaker 1: And ay yeah, yeah, yeah, yeaye. So I don't know where the Dow is now an hour ago.
Speaker 2: Last time I checked those down like four hundred points after a pretty big drop yesterday. People are knocking on bathrooms, Jack saying, are you done in there? Because the Dow is in the toilet? I get it, but I don't know the market. Let's say the market the Dow is stupid? Am I being a Pollyanna? Like? I was watching Mika Brazinski on MSNBC yesterday and then she was talking to somebody and they said Nick could bring a recession and she went, oh no, And I thought, I don't.
Speaker 1: Do that about the word recession.
Speaker 2: I just does the average person react to the idea of recession with horror like that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I've lived through how many have I had in my adult life? A dozen? Eight? I don't know. I don't know because they're not significant enough to count.
Speaker 2: They're not you know, fantastic maybe, but they're not as good when as when growth is rosy.
Speaker 1: Certainly, but no, it's not a moment all the things.
Speaker 2: I could list so many things in my life that do or could potentially make me go, but that's not.
Speaker 1: One of them. And why is that?
Speaker 2: Is that just an example of how divorced the media is from normal human beings. I think they think we all react like that, or or they think they should because all the super gazillionaire financial people they have on their sets, it is a big deal for them, but in their world because that's what they focus on all the time. And I just don't think the average person. I should ask my dad about that, like to your whole life, did you, oh, man, might be a recession next quarter?
Speaker 1: Good lord, I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Tighten up the straps on your barrel and get ready, I guess. And if you had several in a row, that would be rough, but usually you have a quarters then you go back to normal. Well, yeah, if a recession stretched down for years like Japan had, for instance, well that would be something else, but it almost never happens. Our economy is too dynamic and creative and adaptable, you know. I can understand how you wouldn't want to do things in particular that bring them on as opposed to it's just part of a business cycle. Yeah, yeah, we'll see. But for instance, got breaking news. The job numbers are out two hundred and twenty eight thousand jobs added in March, which was beat expectations and people are thrilled about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so fantastic. Am I out of the woods?
Speaker 2: Are? Is that good news or bad? The recession over or I don't know. I'm just gonna keep going to work. Someday when I'm old.
Speaker 1: Will retire.
Speaker 2: We'll see what I got left. Eli, I by this size fishing boulder. This is sized fishing boat. That'll be the end of it. Now, I hear you, I hear you. So unnecessary hyperbole is something we avoid.
Speaker 1: The other thing.
Speaker 2: I've got to get this off my chest and then I'll shut up because we have Katie's headlines and clips of the week in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: A few minutes, I.
Speaker 2: Was listening to another show as I was preparing for the festivities.
Speaker 1: There are other shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oddly and this uh, this host is clearly proudly.
Speaker 1: And out out.
Speaker 2: As a Christian and was mixing news analysis with the unmistakable Christianity and defense of the Trump policies. But he was not like defending the policies based on the fact that he believed they would work, or here's why they're good policies. It was because they were Trump's. And it became clear to me that there's like two polls, if you will, there are two.
Speaker 1: Jesus Jesus show. I believe the plural is Jesus Jesus.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, but there were two Jesi Jesus of Nazareth and Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump.
Speaker 2: And you're not going to get that here either. When he's right, he's right. When he's wrong, he's wrong. And if that's not what you're looking for, that's we understand. That's fine.
Speaker 1: You know you might enjoy it anyway, but you're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, I don't know how this terriff thing is going to turn out. That's still is my position. Let's start the show officially. I'm Jack Armstrong. He's Joe Getty on this.
Speaker 1: It is Friday, yes April to fourth, my niece's birthday. I've got to send her a text.
Speaker 2: There are twenty twenty five we are Armstrong in getting we approve of this program. Let's begin then officially according to FCC rules and regulations at mark. I think it's going very well.
Speaker 3: It was an operation like when a patient gets operated on and it's.
Speaker 1: A big thing.
Speaker 3: I said this, which exactly be the way it is.
Speaker 1: Things are going well. You compared it to a patient, you know, go through get an operation.
Speaker 2: You don't feel fantastic right immediately right after the operation, huh had a lot of pain.
Speaker 1: We had a disease. We had to go in there, we had to cut something out.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have a little rough recovery period and then they'll be on their feet and dancing before you know it.
Speaker 1: All right then whoa, I don't know. I was so worried.
Speaker 2: So we got all that stuff Joe mentioned on the way and you can comment on anything text line four one five two nine five KFTC.
Speaker 1: I sent a text to my niece.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, which I think she will rollerize at in a twenty something sort of way.
Speaker 4: Thank you were correct, any exclamation point or anything.
Speaker 2: Her old boomer uncle sent her a happy birthya surely through a birthday cake emoji. No, I don't I don't send emoji exclamation point not a child?
Speaker 1: Uh non? Like better just sell it.
Speaker 2: You're like a fundamentalist Muslim about exclamation points and emoji.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't do the exclamation point. I just can't. You really need some couch time to understand that.
Speaker 4: You know, you're like the only person that will send me a text that has no punctuation or anything involved in it.
Speaker 1: And I go, Okay, it's Jack. He's not mad. It's just the way that he takes right.
Speaker 2: So if I say great, it's what If I say great, it's it looks like I said great or great?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, right, But you know you are living in the year six hundred in terms of texting.
Speaker 1: But in my real life, if you if you know me, I'm not a great sort of guy. Try what not well?
Speaker 2: When you're when you're unhappy, you're like dozens of exclamation points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mad face emojis all.
Speaker 2: Caps for pages at a time. I'm an all caps person. I should be all caps for all my text. I have an all I do walk around in all caps persons.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, oh bro, what kind of bread do you eat?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 1: It's just plain white bread?
Speaker 2: Right. I have finally switched off of one bread at the request of family members.
Speaker 1: So I'm an eat more of a grained bread. I guess.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's figure out who's reporting what. It's the lead story with Katie Green. Katie, let's start with ABC. Trump says, quote, it's.
Speaker 4: Going very well after Tariff's royal the markets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I don't know if it's going to go well or not, but.
Speaker 2: The whole judging it off of one day off the stock market just seems so stupid to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed from Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Trump says he thinks Iran will accept direct nuclear talks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just reading about that.
Speaker 2: He wants them to dismantle their nuclear programs, and he's not going to waste any time with the silly They're on one floor of a hotel. We're on the other floor, and we send emissaries from a third party back and forth to negotiate. He's like, let's sit down and work this out, or we're going to bomb you back to Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. From the Free Beacon, Columbia.
Speaker 4: University radicals welcome new president by vandalizing the campus room with a Hamas triangle.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know if you have this headline, but I saw the headline last night as I was going to bed that Hamas announced they're going to release all the hostages to get a ceasefire.
Speaker 1: Now did that come and go that headline already or I'm making my squinty face, Oh are you no longer?
Speaker 2: It could be there absolutely a moral, vicious lizard like brains have said, all right, this is our only card. Trump is going to back Israel doing anything. Uh yeah, so we better give the hostages. Yeah, this is the only way we can buy time, and then we'll go back to you know.
Speaker 1: Guerrilla warfare and the rest of it. It's possible.
Speaker 4: From the New York Times, USDA freezes funding for Maine amid battle over transgender athletes.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what the USDA has to do with any of it. It's government spending. I suppose Maine is super woke on the transgender The boys will put up on girl because they say their girls badness.
Speaker 1: And that governor got into a spat with Trump.
Speaker 4: Right from NBC, Pentagon Inspector General to investigate Pete Hegsath's role in Signal Chat leak.
Speaker 2: Arry Trump fired some big NSA guys in the last couple of days. It got obscured by the tariff madness. But we'll talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: From USA Today quote there's a movement bubbling up anti Trump protests planned nationwide tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Uh, the resistance is back.
Speaker 1: The resistance back together.
Speaker 2: Break out your pea hat and your Trump's a Nazi and the big giant balloon with Trump as a baby.
Speaker 1: Break it, guet, find it quickly. We're back.
Speaker 4: The New York Post, Ohio driver dropped his donut and caused a three car crash.
Speaker 1: He like bent over to pick it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it fell on the floor. He bent over to pick it up, went into oncoming traffic. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt.
Speaker 2: But I've almost done that sort of thing before, and I thought, jeez, you just you're gonna what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, leave it on the floor.
Speaker 2: You hear the coffee spill onto your crotch, Like, hey, hey, your crotch is gonna be wet.
Speaker 1: Just accept it. Stay in your lane, literally, stay in your lane.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, I do like the phrase you just used, Katie Man.
Speaker 1: Did Jack drop the donut on that project? Yeah, so it sounds like it ought to be an expression. Yep. From study fines.
Speaker 4: Seventy percent of Americans mentally clock out of work three days before taking vacation.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about right, three days. That seems like a lot. I don't know. Our job's a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think when I have had a regular job mentally clocked, I will still do something.
Speaker 4: But and finally, the Babylon Bee Dodgers bankrupted. Is Trump places twenty five percent tariff on Japanese players.
Speaker 2: Hilarious, and the Dodgers would just pay it and continue?
Speaker 1: Are they still undefeated? They win again last night? Nobody knows.
Speaker 2: Maybe the uh Padres are also undefeated. I've been asked to mention, not that we really do baseball standings here much, but there you have it. Now, quit yelling at me Padres fans. We have met Dodd doing.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers did win last night? Okay?
Speaker 2: Are they go one hundred and sixty two and oh yeah, you there will have to be changed.
Speaker 1: You gotta have a salary cap if they go one sixty two and zero? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's how crazy would it have to be for it just to be inescapably true that something was going to change if they won one hundred and thirty games clearly. Well, you'd have to win the World Series. I think it'd be more about multiple World Series in a row.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yeah, you're probably right.
Speaker 2: Because in every sport, which is an interesting tributa question, in every sport, the team that has the best season did not win the championship that year. Hockey, football, baseball, and basketball all four like.
Speaker 1: The all time best season. Yeah yeah, oh interesting. Yeah, it's just a fact.
Speaker 2: We've got clips a week on the week up mailbag, news of the day, stay.
Speaker 1: With us, Armstrong and Getty. So we got some breaking news on a variety of fronts for you.
Speaker 2: We can fit in in just a couple of seconds and some great texts.
Speaker 1: I hope you can stick around.
Speaker 2: But first, it's the beloved Friday tradition. Let's take a fond look back of the week that was. It's cow clips of the week. I think it's going very well.
Speaker 4: Just have to treat us fairly, and we're flipping that on its head, the whips of the week.
Speaker 3: My fellow Americans, this is Liberation Day. For decades, our country has been looted, pillage, raped, and plundered by nations near and far.
Speaker 4: Trump is resetting the entire global market.
Speaker 2: They hate our beef because our beefs is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Do not retaliate, Do not paddic here.
Speaker 2: That's my message to America.
Speaker 1: What if they're wrong, They're not going to be wrong. It is going to work. They're not judges, They're just pretending to be judges. They're just politicians wearing judges' robes.
Speaker 4: They don't want to see some outsiders, some billionaire come in and try to buy a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: This is gross.
Speaker 4: They're just doing all this to try to distract from what's happening on their side.
Speaker 1: I confess that i'd been inadequate to the moment.
Speaker 2: I confess that the Democratic Party has made terrible mistakes. We need to own our mistakes, so we need to own what's wrong with our partner.
Speaker 1: I don't believe you. It's luck. Director made me remove my shirt and told me it was like wearing a swastika in front of a Jewish person. Hey, okay, okay, unfair.
Speaker 2: You can see now that we are in a pre civil war culture.
Speaker 1: Now, if you take part in the wave of domestic terrorism against Tesla properties, we will find you, arrest you, and put you behind bars.
Speaker 4: President Trump reportedly says he's considering ways to serve a third term.
Speaker 2: The Democrats could try to run Barack Obama. I ask you, I'd love that my phone number was in his phone, because my phone number is in his phone to the.
Speaker 3: Man that brded my hair while I was asleep on a plane, I need you to come forth immediately.
Speaker 1: Oot O. No, it could be my wingman anytime. And they're, well, my god, that's an embarrassment. I'm embarrassment just for the listener.
Speaker 2: I have nothing to do with choosing shirtless teenage her old movies.
Speaker 1: As opposed to the greatest guy, he's gone too far, As opposed to the class he has gone too far, the coolest guy movie of all time.
Speaker 2: You got the Fifer flood. Hey, we got a variety of things for we can work out. I can work up here from not important to important. But we got this text from a friend of the show. Here's a clip of Val Kilmer explaining how he came up with the doc holiday accent from Tombstone, which has always bewildered me. And he said, your indignation was righteous and appropriate.
Speaker 1: Wow. Also this actually breaking news.
Speaker 2: British police have charged comedian Russell Brand with rape.
Speaker 1: Oh charged. I was accused, but charged.
Speaker 2: With rape and actual assault after an investigation. The offenses took place between ninety nine and two thousand and five. Russell Brand has become a big deal on the right. He was on Hannity like Night before last, Right, I know a woman who came into his orbit and he was sweet on her, and she, for whatever reason took a pass and has been breathing a sigh of relief that she didn't get into that world. It seems like a bit of an odd duck to me. Yeah, Russell Brand, clever fella, and I had one more that I wanted to do before. But anyway, so we'll go this before we get into some of the real stuff. We got this text. You know, the tariff thing is the biggest story maybe in the world right now, I think definitely. So, yeah, we got this text. I got out of the market in nineteen ninety nine because all the market turbulence. I don't care about it all that you morons in the market. Ha wow, I don't think we need to explain who the moron is here.
Speaker 1: God, you'd be so much richer, Oh my gosh, Like what how many times how many multiples of what you have would you have now if you just stayed in like, you know, the average of the market? Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, anyway, yeah, China, Apple stock went down one day in two thousand and one, so I dumped it, thank goodness. Speaking of that, I don't know if Apple's exaggerating or not, but they say it would cost at least one thousand dollars more for your iPhone if they made him here in the United States. Wait a minute, and you know they they made him in the United States. Yeah, yeah, but well that's the state. One of the stated goals of the Trump administration is to move that sort of manufacturing slash assembly back here, which is just not realistic for a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I think they said it could even triple.
Speaker 2: I think I feel you know, I'm sure it would go up, but you know, market forces still apply. So you'd get into the what are willing people willing to pay Apples what the second most valuable company in the world, they might have to make less profit on phones and lower their price and cut into I don't know, but I don't think you can do the straight math on what employees would cost and assume that that's what would be the cost of the phone, right, which is indirectly one of the reasons it's so difficult to talk about the tariff thing intelligently because every effect has half a dozen after effects, each of which yield half a dozen each. You know that's too many inches, But you know what I'm saying. It's just that there's an outward rippling of effects and reactions. China has announced they're slapping the United States with thirty four percent tariffs you commy devils starting today. So my eight pair of socks that costs three dollars is going to cost four dollars, bastard.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know how that's going to turn out.
Speaker 2: I really don't either. I'm a little a little skeptical Wall Street Journal. So my where I think the political damage is going to kick in is if inflation goes up. Because I heard an argument yesterday on why I'm wrong, But I'll go with what I think first before I get to the argument why it might be wrong. I think the one thing we all understand now coming out of a COVID and the Biden administration is inflation and what that does over time, and we all have such a recent memory of that and everything like that, and so like the Wall Street Journal has got Americans rushing to buy TVs, soy sauce, Lululemon workout gear, et cetera. I love that headline, rushing to buy soy sauce. How much does soy sauce cost? And how much do you go through? I don't know about you. I really like Asian food. I use soy sauce. I like sushi. I've probably had the same bottle since two thousand and six and it will last me until I'm dead. It'll certainly lost you a little while a bottle of soy sauce. Yes, my wife and I cook a lot of sturfry, so we filled our garage full of it. That's good. You are to soy sauce what Diddy was to baby oil. But as we all remember, inflation, a lot of it is emotional. If you think things are gonna go up, you buy a few extra of them now, which drives a price up, which makes the news, which makes people think I need to buy more of it now.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's hard to break out of that.
Speaker 2: And if that happens, that's what's gonna be politically damaging. I think, I really don't think inflation is the main concern.
Speaker 1: I think it's.
Speaker 2: Recession and layoffs, lots and lots of layoffs, not on shoring somehow in like a year or two. I mean, all of the big beautiful industries coming back to America. That would take years, and in the interim there's not gonna be a little pain. There's gonna be a hell of a lot of pain. Again for complicated economic reasons, the way imports affect exports and vice versa, how economic growth is slowed by tariffs.
Speaker 1: It's been proved over and over again. I just I'm really worried about this. Man.
Speaker 2: If inflation hits, which is what I'm worried about, God, what an argument for the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Going into the mid terms. Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the counter to the whole inflation thing, partially is that people won't react that negatively because we've lived through it so recently. It's not like the Boogeyman from the seventies. It's the Boogeyman from year before last, and it's not quite as scary. So I don't know how people are gonna emotionally react to this.
Speaker 1: I'm your boogieyman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I am speaking a boogeyman from the seventies Casey in the Sunshine Banner Mine hear in a little It's a Friday, Michael, isn't it good lyrics? Hey word baby baby? Let's get together you and you and me or me and you money, you and me, you and me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's good, some good stuff.
Speaker 2: Do the things we like to do, or that's get down tonight. He was really dancing around the fact that we're gonna have sex all night long. But he couldn't just say it back then. Right, he's doing rap songs now, right, it was art, you know, little art. I'm gonna blank you. That's not art. I'm gonna love you until I can't get enough what I worn't from our friends. That's what'd you say, Michael. Simply safe, Simply save home security. You may be spending more time away from the house and giving burglars more opportunities to strike because it's summertime or soon will be in. The days are longer, and FBI crime data shows more breakings happen during daylight when you're out than under the kind of classic cloak of night.
Speaker 1: That is interesting.
Speaker 2: In it that we mostly think a nighttime, but it's now you drive away from work and during the day, and your neighbors are gone too. That's why I like no, and I got to sign by the door. Hey, you got cameras around here. Got the active guard protection of Simply Safe. Authorities will be called right away if they see you ooching around outside. And this is with a no long term contract or cancelation fees and about a dollar a day. Yeah, the active guard outdoor protection prevents break ins before they happen. You got the agent's jack mentioned and the cameras, and if somebody's lurking around, the agents can even see and talk to them in real time and call the coppers. Simply safe dot com slash armstrong. All of these great monitoring plans start affordably around a dollar a day. You can get fifty percent off a new system with professional monitoring. Get your first month free at simply safe dot com, slash armstrong, simply safe dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 1: There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 2: What a Nike shoe would cost if it wasn't sown by children in some far off land. I don't know, I don't know. I did this one question. So we got some questions answered yesterday that I was asking. I still haven't heard this one. Why Why did it work for Levi's to be made and converse to be made in the United States? Up until the mid nineties it was a profitable business. Did something change on the world lands? Giant cultural change from I will save and buy it when I can to instant gratification and uh and I will borrow the money.
Speaker 1: And accepting horrible quality. Apparently yeah in some cases.
Speaker 2: Well, and you have to if you're going to have that instant gratification society, that the two have to go together. Otherwise you'd spend yourself into financial oblivion, you know, quickly. And I'm not judging anybody. It's a bad idea. I resist that temptation myself all the time. It's just it's not good. It's from the Bible to you know, every financial counselor worth is weight in dollar bills from Dave Ramsey on. You know, anybody you ask save and buy stuff when you have the money. But we don't do that. Mail bag on the way a little more news and news will be unfolding throughout the day as this is the biggest story in the world. Really stay here text line four one five two nine kftc.
Speaker 1: Arm shot power two.
Speaker 2: We have three historians on to discuss the smoot Holly Teriff Act of the early twentieth century.
Speaker 1: Good on your Friday, it's another smoot Holly Friday.
Speaker 2: Here's your freedom loving quotes of the day from William McKinley to Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump Admers.
Speaker 2: I am a tariff man standing on a tariff platform, said McKinley.
Speaker 1: Lasted for a couple of years. It was disastrous.
Speaker 2: There were some to them, and the Republicans lost the House of Representatives for sixty years, right, something like that. Not necessarily a cause and effect, but a bit of a coincidence certainly. And I thought this was interesting. I saw Thomas so well. So is he still alive and actually saying things?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, So he was at ninety four or five or something. He was commenting on the tariffs and mentioned McKinley. He's freaking old muffed, but he he said, the depression was caused at least as much by our tariff structure as it was by the stock market crash. The terriff thing caused the stock market correct so that was his take on it yesterday. OI Conservative Thomas soul the great Uh yeah uh.
Speaker 1: What was the other thing I was gonna say was that it.
Speaker 2: Was a oh and then you know FDR interceding and price fixing and the rest of it prevented a recovery for years.
Speaker 1: And years and years.
Speaker 2: So oh, the other McKinley quote I wanted to throw out there, he said, I have never been in doubt since I was old enough to think intelligently that I would someday be made president.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's something, and that's what a lot of people who end up president are that way. Yeah, it is a certain yeah. Ah.
Speaker 2: I'm tempted to go off on a tangent, but I won't mail bag, So no mail bag at Armstrong and Geddy dot com. Mike Wrights, Katie's corner is fantastic.
Speaker 1: That's it, with a K.
Speaker 2: Katie's Corner at Armstrong and Geddy dot Com. A lot of great stuff there. The hot links article, some videos we talked about are there. You get some ang swag drop his Notebooder, I have not seen it, but it's only because I've never looked at our website. Nice job moving along, Nick and Arizona rights well shields up Jack showing his liberal side hatred of others by mocking star Trek.
Speaker 1: Was bad enough.
Speaker 2: What Katie, Oh, beautiful Katie, you hurt my heart. A proud geek standing up for good writing regardless of genre. Okay, sorry, a couple of philistines. I work with anti star trekers and believe it. This is one of the brainier emails we've ever gotten from a gent who calls himself Turlock Holmes. It's a central California joke. Deer Rubes, Oh, his title is Calvinism Kleine. Deer Rubes had to join two orphan topics from yesterday's show, Ezra Cline's musings about how people didn't earn it and the broader progressive claimed that there is no free will. Mind you, these aren't intellectual orphans. They are conjoined twins in the same hollow narrative. As such, modern progressivism is voiced by Klein and his choir of credentialed fatalists is just Calvinism with a sociology degree, preaching that merit is an illusion and free will of bourgeois myth. This is the gospel of the new Claricy that is a word I do not use. That the individual is powerless, personal achievement is a mirage, and redemption lies not an effort, but in obedience to the system. They've merely swapped God for the system, sin for privilege, and grace for ideological compliance. It's original sin in wooke clothing, where you're born guilty, can't redeem yourself and must submit to the new priesthood. Taken together, today's secular intelligencia are just recycling old theological frameworks, only now without the cross or the collar.
Speaker 1: It's enough to make Michaelangelo swear again. Wow.
Speaker 2: So that is really well written, and a number of people have pointed out the whole whether it's climate change, wokeism, has so many of the hallmarks of that sort of thing, because there are blasphemy laws. Yeah, they're blasphemy laws, like, you know, you can't say all lives matter. You've blasphemed and you need to be put to death. Yeah, or certainly professionally. Yeah yeah, well, said another Jay in San Jose, California. Right, so, guys, Oh, the topic of gene editing babies in general. In a future where we can choose the traits of our unborn. What will we do about genius? Wouldn't many parents want genius for their child. Real genius often has a relationship with insanity Teslav and go Hughes and many more. If we genetically eliminate all of our defects, do we miss an opportunity for something greater? Nature sends the occasional deformity for a reason or what's the genetic term for a deformity mutation? That's how we got here, after all, he says.
Speaker 1: Ah, boy, I don't that's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: If you I could choose for like I don't know what level IQ, but like super high IQ, I think i'd be.
Speaker 1: A no on that.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've observed through the years and having geniuses around, be they Galileo or Elon Musk is really useful, it's great. But genius is just another kind of his brain doesn't work like other people's. And often you know somebody that crazy, crazy smart is really alienated or unhappy.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, it can make you miserable, but you know that's that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I wonder what percentage of people with an IQ over and again, I don't know enough about the IQ scale, but a high number one or what percentage of like are successful and what percentage are miserable or kill themselves or whatever?
Speaker 1: It? Is it like ninety ten or is it fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: Or is it like a random distribution. I don't know, let's see. Oh yeah, probably ought to touch on this. Steve from NAPA the first of many to write in about Trump's misleading reciprocal tariff's chart. The way they form emulated the quote unquote reciprocal tariffs was not the way it seemed. We talked about it later in the show yesterday. We can explain it again today. It's kind of a complicated formula, and whether it's a good idea or not is in the i of the beholder right now. Definitely disruptive, though. I saw Jim Kramer going off on that MSNBC. Let's stop using the word reciprocal.
Speaker 1: It's misleading. We can get into more of that now or two.
Speaker 4: It's something
Speaker 1: Armstrong and getty