Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air aywhere the Fifth Hour with me, Ben Mahler and Danny G Radio and a very good Saturday to view.
Speaker 1: It's the fourteenth day of September. We got college football from early this morning all the way till the nighttime. And Danny G you were not with me. Yesterday we had our companion podcast for the TV show This is My New Michigan Dandy to turn that in order to try to pump up the ratings on the TV show. I had this epiphany. I've seen a bunch of these companion podcasts, and I thought, well, we should have one of those. Why do we do one of those? And so the fun all you have.
Speaker 4: To do now really is murder somebody, Ben, because then you could have your own murder podcast series.
Speaker 5: Got a murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true crime podcast is the way to go, but we have our own sub genre, the after Show podcast must listen for fans of Benny versus the Pace. So that was yesterday and today we're back to the normal fun with you Danny. On this podcast. We have the Schmooze, Cruise, Come Full Circle, wreck It, Ralph, the Beatles, kind of Bison, and if we have time, there's some other stuff that I would like to get to, but I don't know if we're gonna have time or not. But let's start with this. So the Saturday podcast is dedicated to those that have the Honeydeist and want to hear us just talk about our amazing, fascinating rock and roll lifestyles that we live being major radio personalities.
Speaker 5: A bunch of hookers and cocaine.
Speaker 1: In an era where that is respected, that is loved and unless it's not but the life of Mather of the Life of Danny g So this week I was invited to a VIP private private meet and greet our friends at Rapid Radios based in beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan, came out to Los Angeles and they're a wonderful partner for the radio show. You hear every show there's a commercial for rapid radio. Some of you have reached out, you have purchased rapid radios. For example, off the top of my head, I know Chip in the Cues and Syracuse purchased the Rapid radios. So anyway, the big bosses said, hey, we need your presence. I said, you know I do an overnight.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't show up when the sun's up. I'm a vampire. It's like me with I can't do it. And they said, well, we need you, and so I made the rare and appropriate appearance that was. That was back on Wednesday, and so I I blessed the management folks. I was able to see you, Danny, face to face, meet and greet with you. And so I I left ridiculous early. I live out in the north Woods. It's a very long drive to get to the Sherman Oaks studios there and the traffic is a nightmare. So I was like, all right, I'm just gonna get up early. I won't sleep that much, but I don't want to sit in traffic. I'd rather get there early and not sit in traffic. So I made I made it an editorial decision, if you will, un if that's the right word. But I was like, I just get up early and go. So I got up early, I went, and I decided, there's so much car theft in La I'm just gonna I have some stuff that I don't want to be stolen. So I'm gonna put it in the studio and then I'm gonna go and I'll do the meet.
Speaker 5: That way a coworker can steal it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if someone's gonna steal my stuff, I wanted to be somebody from Fox Sports Rado. I don't want some stranger to steal that. I want somebody I work with. So anyway, I saw you, Danny, I saw wrong Button, Bob, my old producer, Bob Gara. Who else? I said, Covino and Rich was there? Your guys A Rob Parker, Rob Parker and so I was there for a little bit. I think it was there for like an hour and then drove down Ventura Boulevard. So I looked on my thing on my GPS. I was fussing around with it and said, well, we're like five or six miles away from where this restaurant Ventura Boulevard in studio city was and I don't even remember the name of it. I figured out about five six miles take me maybe ten minutes to get there. It took about half an hour. It took about half an hour, and it was like hemorrhoids to try to find parking, right, And so you know me with parking, I don't pay for parking. I don't I gotta find parking. I'll get to it.
Speaker 5: You'll walk ten blocks to get cheaper parking. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm driving around. There's a lot of traffic and I'm like, ah, this is you know, I'm supposed to be there now I'm suddenly I'm a few minutes late. So I text one of the bosses. I'm like, hey, I can't the parking lot for this restaurant was full. What am I going to do? There's nowhere to park, And so he says Bowling Alley, which is across the street. There's a bowling Alley which used to be what was that restaurant that was there for years? Guy, it was a late night diner. I used to go there. Look at the name of it. There were a few of them in I think they're all closed, but it doesn't matter. So we went over. I parked right across the street. There was a parking lot. I figured if I got towed or I got a ticket, the boss was going to pay for it because it said only parking for the bowling alley. But if the Boss said to park there, I parked there, and if I got a ticket or got towed, he would.
Speaker 5: Pay for it.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest. They let you expense pretty much everything in your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're doing overnight radio, the gas is expensed, clothing, headphones, a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff expense unless that's not the case. So I found Peter and I parked there. Made the walk past the bowling alley, so it made it seem like I might go to the bowling alley, kept walking. I could have jay walked Acrossfin to the boulevard, but it was rush hour and people in La are assholes the way they drive, so as I screw that, So I just I walked a couple of blocks down to cross legally. So I did that, did that, and then it was the Schmooze cruise, A schmooz Appaloosa, if you will. Big bosses Don Martin, the Big Boss, Scott Shapiro was there, A bunch of the hosts Jonas Knox, LeVar Arrington, who, Jason Smith, Harmon was there? Your guys Covino and Rich dan Byer made an appearance, Good Old dan Byer, Big Mike, some other names. People.
Speaker 4: Oh that's that's who. I meant to say, who for, say, Big Mic again, Big Mic?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly? Lead a Lap was there, Last Call Lee, even Cooper Loop made an appearance. And there were a bunch of other people. I have no idea who they were, but this was something where I again rare and appropriate. I go back to that phrase, Danny rare inappropriate. They provided free alcohol. I did not drink that. They provided free like regular water obviously water is usually free, and soda, and then they also had appetizers. They would go around as a happy hour social meet and greet with the people from MAPID radios. And you know, Danny, being in radio, we get so many free things. You know, you think I wouldn't make a big deal about it. I was like, this is like my holiday bonus. So I ate. I usually don't eat on Wednesdays because I don't want to look bloated on the TV show And in my head, I'll look bloated if I eat, because we tape on Thursdays, and we talked about about the taping yesterday on the Friday podcast. But so the whole thing I ate. They had unbelievably good food and it was on the company Dime Danny. I'm a shocked. I figured there's probably nothing. This is some bougie Ventura Boulevard studio City in La restaurant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean jealous. Now.
Speaker 4: The reason I didn't go was because I was busy with Covino and Rich's podcast. But as soon as you guys all left and I heard about the food, I was like, damn it. I should have just made the listeners be late listening to that damn podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. This it shocked me because you know, I have the palette of an eight year old. So if I liked the food, everyone would like the food. So they had little fry cups. This guy would walk around. It was like a small fry cup with a little ketchup on top. Mac and cheese bites, Mac and cheese balls, amazing, little spice on them, little kick, but wonderful. They had several different styles of bar pizza. I actually did something I don't. I hate mushrooms because my parents made me eat mushrooms when I was a kid, mushroom pizza, and then I learned mushrooms fungus. I'm like, I'm not eating that. But what I did was I took the corner piece. They had those little bar pizzas, so I took the corner piece because there was only one mushroom. And if the guy walked around and had pieces with multiple mushrooms, I didn't eat it. But fortunately I got a lot of pieces with it. It's just one mushroom. They had fish tacos. Stayed away from that. They had some kind of califlour. I don't know. I didn't eat that. That's a vegetable, so I stayed away from that. The brisket taco though outstanding, Daddy, the brisket taco was wonderful. Chef's kiss on the brisk I didn eat the tomato, but I took that off. But everything else I eate in that all right, I want my chicken. So that was the That was the event to schmooze, cruise, good time had by all and then Danny on top of that, I failed to mention this I just came to my head. Here the boys from Wrapping radios. They were so into Fox Sports Radio and being partners with us that when I was getting done with my radio show, which I went and did. Right after the show, I went back and I had hours to kill, but I sat in the back. But they showed up at like three in the morning to hang out and see the studio. It's like craziest. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was able to meet them Thursday afternoon. They came into the Covino and Rich show and hung out. And it's cool when you meet sponsors and the people behind a company. Then it actually puts a face to all these billboards.
Speaker 5: That we read live on the radio every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's cool. I heard from one of the gentlemen. He was telling me the whole story about how the company started, and one of the guys behind it's a Ham radio guy. And I was like, oh man, my dad a Ham radio guy also, And I was giving up the stories about my dad who always wild say someday, Ben, there's gonna be a massive earthquake and then eat Ham Radio. Ham Radio is going to save you know all this, and it did not happen in his lifetime. But I'm sure at some point it will happen.
Speaker 4: So a few weekends ago, you might remember where I told the story about trying to sell that e bike on offer up.
Speaker 1: Yes, the guy that wanted you to drive fifty miles and take three hours in traffic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole Yeah, and that guy disappeared and that was okay because he was flaky from the start.
Speaker 5: It's now fast forward to being stood up.
Speaker 4: I had somebody that said they were going to come take a test ride on it at eight pm. So I stood out in my garage starting at seven point thirty waited until eight forty pm, with them messaging me saying I'm almost there, We're on our way. They never showed up. Ben I straight got ghosted.
Speaker 1: Why would you.
Speaker 4: I don't Yeah, thank you, I was uttering to my better half. I said, why in the world would you not just message the person and say, you know what, we changed our mind, we're not coming on our way. Totally wasted my time. This was last weekend. So now I'm very Larry. I'm just like, I don't want to deal with any of these potential buyers. I might even just pull this off of Instead of offer up, I was using Marketplace now on Facebook.
Speaker 1: I have not spent too much time on there, so tell me. I don't know a lot about it. My wife has sold some crap on there, but I don't know much about it.
Speaker 4: It seems like there's a lot more eyeballs on it, but also a lot more people who completely flake offer up. It's more of those drive buys I told you about. Is it still available on Marketplace? I got tons of questions and every single message from every potential buyer.
Speaker 5: I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 4: I got hundred messages written to me with questions about the bike. Everything they needed to know about the bike was in the description that I took the time to type. But do you think people actually read the descriptions that you type on the products? Oh no, of course not, big fat no, no, Well, no, I'm lazy. I'm just going to look at what the item is and then I'm going to ask you to repeat yourself from what you already took the time to do on the item. So this is what I'm dealing with.
Speaker 5: Bullshit.
Speaker 4: But then I get this message from a dude where he seemed really cool and different from the other buyers. He told me He's like, hey, I did my research on that bike you have up for sale. Just have a couple of quick questions, and his questions were Legit. Says he's in the city right next to mine, and I'm like, oh, that's good because maybe he won't flake when you know, I need him to come for the appointment. So Wednesday midday shows up at the right time.
Speaker 5: This is crazy. This guy actually made his appointment.
Speaker 4: He's telling me all about how he's about to do a charity ride for that Sam Rubin guy who just recently he passed.
Speaker 1: Away Channel five, the biggest.
Speaker 4: Famous entertainment reporter from southern California. People knew him even nationally. Ben this guy who came to potentially buy the bike worked for k t L. A. Oh that's cool, and starts talking about who we have in common. Hartman O, Yes, Chris Myers.
Speaker 1: I kid because I care. And that was just wow, because I have a buddy at Channel five in LA who is a camera guy. What did the guy do? Did he tell you what?
Speaker 5: Like what he did? Kind of? Yeah, he's in charge of the union there.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, And I said, man, we got to get you at our network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, care of more man, but carel that's a third rail man, that's a third ray.
Speaker 4: This guy represents the talent there. Do you remember back in the day when our network kind of union.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I'm I'm not that old.
Speaker 4: I think Fay zapped you with one of those men in black flashy things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't think that. I have worked at a union shop before, and shocking, they pay a lot of money at those union shops. They do. They're very, very nice. Yeah, I guess we got some money here. Anybody's ever been to La It flows? It aren't in l A K. T. La is right in the belly of the beast, right, and you get off the one on one there in uh in Hollywood on sunset, Right, it's on sunset. I think it's on sunset. There's right, it's right actually the highway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, well this is where the conversation gets interesting. Chess rides the bike and he comes back and he's like, I might have to tighten the brakes, but you know, the bike has just been covered in my garage, so it was if it was a little stiff, it's because it's brand new, hasn't even been broken in. He told me, I used to be an avid bike rider, but now I need an e bike because I need a little help on this ride for when I get tired, I want to flip the motor on. So he's telling me stories about Sam Rubin and what this bike rides all about. And wow, finally two months later, I sell this bike. Wow, and seemingly to the right person. Where everything came full circle though, is he calls his wife on his cell phone. I'm going to have her send the venmo to you from our account. And I said, all right, cool, so I gave him the info. She said it's going to be about ten minutes before she can do it, and I'm like, all right, that's fine. He's like, so let me stand here and brag about KTLA my work. There for ten minutes, I'm listening to his stories about the TV station, and then at the very end, so what exactly do you do at your network? And I briefly tell him, wait, wait a second, you're not the dude that does the thing with Ben Mahller, are you?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: To God, he.
Speaker 4: Starts talking about how he is a fifth hour listener really and sanding there waiting from a venmo. And now I feel kind of awkward. Do I look like some dishoveled hobo trying to sell a bike? But it turns out we got to shout him out. Tony listen, listens to the Fifth Hour podcast.
Speaker 1: Tony, What's up? Tony?
Speaker 4: Obviously he's in the business. He listened to Jay Moore and Ben Mallard. Those are the two names that came up when he was talking about the network. Cool and yeah, very cool, and he said he listens sometimes to your overnight podcast. But he said in his rotation is the Fifth Hour. I told him we'd definitely give him a shout out. The Venmo came through, he took the bike over. He had a nice bike rack on his vehicle because, like I said, he's been a bike rider. I actually had a smile on my face from making a sale. I went inside and I told my girl, I said, wow, I think I actually sold something to the right person.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. And to honor Sam Rubin, that's one of the few guys, as you know, Danny, in this entertainment business, there's a lot of people that are they give the facade of being good people who are absolute schmucks, right, And but I haven't heard any anything from anyone. Nothing negative at all about about Sam Rubin. Everyone loved the guy. He's just like the greatest guy in the world. And he was there and I would watch. I used to go to the gym after the overnight show and i'd stay there. By the time I got done, the KTLA Morning News was on, and I would watch that pretty regularly because I like the way they bullshitted. I'm sure they still do, but I'm not really watching it these days. But they did a wonderful job, so that is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it also reminded me that there's actually people listening to this crap we do. Oh no, no, sometimes sometimes in the studio or in our home studios, and we're not exactly thinking about all of the people listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Tony, I want you to know when you were listening to Jay Moore and me back in the day, I have gone on, I have the TV show and Jay owns the Lakers, so I think he's a little bit better than me. But yeah, you know what the heck turning the page the wreck at Ralph Radio, people do the darness things. So I showed up to work Sunday night. Now Sunday and night I go in there usually Sunday, because I don't know it's after the NFL games whatever. So I go into the studio Sunday night, and there's always trash piled up. They don't clean the place on the weekends, and everyone apparently eats a ten course meal in there. There's be like a fat form in there. May no one on the weekends is doing burpies and push ups and all anyway. So I go in there on Sunday night for the overnight show, and some neanderthal has destroyed the studio, like we have our own wreck at Ralph. Now you know where I sit in I sit in the chair closest to the door facing the camera. The I've got Eddie on my left, I've got the producer's chair and the other room on my right. So that's where I sit. So I go in there and I put my bag in, and Arnie's doing the show from his basement in Vermont, and Plank's doing the show from his basement in Oklahoma. So I got the only one there. So I go, I put my stuff down. I'm like, all right, I plug my headphones in and then I'll put my mic condom on and I'll be good to go and my little spit thing for the mic, And so I go to grab the mic. There's no mic. I'm like, wait a minute. The mic I use was broken. But it was not a glitch. It was not a loose cable, Danny. No, the entire mic stand had been taken down and the mic was unplugged from the cord. I'm like what, I'm cursed. I mean, what is this. I tried like, maybe I'll put it back together. I couldn't put it back together. Was that broken? And I didn't have the number to fix it, Felix, So I had to I was forced to sit. I did to do the walk of shame across the studio to the number two chair. I'm definitely in the closet. Oh wow, dare you? But I am? I am a creature of habit. And I was like really pissed off. I had to go across the room and I was like, I was defeated, but I did it so somebody. I don't know what happened. Maybe somebody had a really hot take and they just grabbed the mic and they slapped it down and they they did like a spike of a microphone in the studio to celebrate. That's possible, I'm not sure, but either way it was. It was wacky. And as far as the the Beatles, I know this is very important. It's to the life of mal or life of Danny g For the first time in twenty twenty four, here we are in September. My wife dragged my ass to the movies for the first time. It wasn't the Beatles, it was Beatle Juice. Standing I saw Beetlejuice.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I heard.
Speaker 4: I heard Kooper Loop talking about that on his entertainment report on Your Friday Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I did not mention on the show that I had seen it, but because we didn't have time. But yeah, this is the first movie I've seen since my wife dragged me to see the Barbie Movie. But fun fact, Danny, fun fact, Okay, this is amazing. That is the first time that I have gone to the movies and stayed awake for the entire movie. I did not fall as normally. What happens at the running gag in our house is my wife let's go to the movies, and she knows I'm gonna fall asleep. Like in the first ten minutes of the movie, because these movies are usually so boring. I fell asleep during the Barbie movies, so did I ate my popcorn? Then fell asleep. But something about Beatle Juice, and it must have been just the nostalgia from the original Beetlejuice I think came out in the late eighties. So I was like a kid and flashing back to that. And I don't know that it was like that great a movie, but I enjoyed it. I had my popcorn, I had a little I brought a little small bag of M and m's. And my wife though, when we go to the movies, it is a VIP situation at the movies, like she gets she only will go to the movies. They have those the movie theaters around here that have the reclining chairs, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Oh, of course, yeah, and they bring the stuff to your seat.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't need that. You know. When I lived in the Lincoln Heights, I lived in Hollywood too. There was a theater in Los Phelis that was like a dollar movie theater. It was like probably at the time, two or three bucks for a movie, and it was such a shithole. They had bubble gum all over the seats. There was like they'd spilled soda everywhere, and I did not mind it at all. It was all sticky, but I was like, you know, it's a cheap movie. And the whole point is it's dark in there. You can't see anything.
Speaker 4: You don't want to be in some gross theater. Though that feels like peewee. Herman had been there.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't a porn theater, but I was fine with it. But yeah, the wife will only go through these bougie movie things, and I'm like, oh man. Although they didn't seem to care that I brought in some contraband some food from outside. It didn't seem to mind that, which I was happy about. And I told my wife, I said, listen, next time she orders the nachos, So I said, what are you doing? The not so it's like ten bucks. The cheese cup is like two dollars. So the move is you bring a bag of Doritos, you buy two cheese cups, Boom, you're done. Four bucks and plus the bag of Doritos, which probably twenty bucks itself. But she'd have many more nachos. You'd have many more nachos.
Speaker 4: So ah, man, you and Rob Parker are the two biggest any savers that I know. You guys both should have millions in your savings accounts.
Speaker 1: Unlike Rob, I do not fly Spirit Airlines.
Speaker 5: That's where you draw the line.
Speaker 1: That's that's the point of demarcation. So as far as the food situation, uh, real quick with short on top. So I had Benny's Burgers. I opened up Benny's Burgers again, smash burgers, but change it up a little bit. We had bison burgers on the griddle, little Bisenberger action. Now why do we have bison burgers? Because we were at the store. My wife said, hey, it's cheaper, and she heard on some podcast it was healthier. Do you know, Danny, if bison meat is healthier than regular ground beef. No, that sounds like bullshit to me. I don't know, she said.
Speaker 5: But it has a gamy taste to it.
Speaker 1: This did not. Actually I didn't. I wouldn't need it, Danny, you know, I wouldn't need it. But it tastes does It tastes a little different than ground beef to me. But the whole time I'm eating and I'm thinking, I'm eating the bills mascot. I'm chowing down on the bill's mascot here, my god, I'm devouring the bills. Scott, What am I doing?
Speaker 5: But hey?
Speaker 1: That was that? That should We should put the baby to bed. We'll have some other stuff. We have the mailbag, big mailbag on Sunday tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, week two of the NFL, and I made sure last weekend Ben to get the Sunday podcast up very early. That way, nobody had an excuse. It could really really be the pregame to the pregame.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it. Let's keep that going here, Thank you, and we'll keep going Danny. We will chat again tomorrow, tomorrow another day.
Speaker 5: Can't wait. Asta pasta by Flation