Speaker 1: Comedy Saved Me.
Speaker 2: I'm Lynn Hoffman and welcome to another episode of Comedy Saved Me. My guest today is a comedian, a writer, and podcaster who's been on a serious role as of late. He's written for The Onion, Conan and After Midnight with Taylor Tomlinson, and most recently, he was in the room for the Oscars. He was named a Just for Laughs new Face in twenty twenty two, which is no small feat. His stand up has appeared on Comedy Central and Don't Tell Comedy, and Vulture just named him you one of the comedians you should know, which you should know? I agree, Oh it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: By the way, he's also the host of a brand new podcast called Help Me Be Black, a podcast about growing up with white parents and the cultural catch up that ensues. And he also has one of the most infectious laughs, by the way, that I've ever heard, you know, the kind of laugh when someone laughs you just hear them laugh and you start laughing. So I'm very excited to welcome our next guest coming up next, Skyler Higgley. He's right here on Comedy Save Me, Don't Go Anywhere, Comedy Saved Me Skyler Higley. Welcome to Comedy Save Me. It's great to meet you.
Speaker 1: Hi, nice to meet you. Thank you so much for having me. The intro is so nice, and I do my laugh. It did get me, I wouldn't say into trouble, but on after midnight I got a little bit of shit. For when I'm laughing in the other room, if we split up the writers, you can hear me laughing at stuff from the other room, and I think I have, like, yeah, a good, big laugh. And so people would be mad because they'd be like, yeah, they're having so much fun in that other room, and you know, they'd be upset about whatever is happening because they'd be trying to focus on whatever their work is. And then here I am laughing down the hall and I'm like, what do they do in there?
Speaker 2: It's a boisterous laugh. Well, you know what, they're just jealous because they're not having as much fun as you are.
Speaker 1: Well, and they said that, they said, we're jealous, and I don't know if yeah, but it's not. It's just how I laugh. I'm not doing it on purpose. I'm not pulling it out. That's just how my voice goes.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm kind of a geek for voices because I've been doing voice work for a few decades and my best friend growing up, Scott, had one of those laughs that you have, and I used to always try to figure out how I could bottle it and sell it because it just makes people so happy. You could just go on stage, Skylar and laugh and then you could be done.
Speaker 1: And oh man, you have.
Speaker 2: To write it.
Speaker 1: All I needed in my life was my own laughs. Then I think that I would. I would, I'd never have started doing any of the things that I'm doing. Unfortunately, I need everybody else's and I want everybody else to be laughing like me. But yeah, I would. I would be such a better person if I didn't desperately need everybody else to laugh.
Speaker 2: Also, Oh come on, now, you got to give yourself some credit. Well, can you take us back to the beginning of that laugh and when comedy first showed up in your life and did it feel like a calling or more like a coping mechanism for you?
Speaker 1: Whoa big question out the gate bolts bolts for sure, because I was so interested in you know, you would see things on Comedy Central and these people going up and being an actor is somewhat made sense. You know, that's like they're doing roles or whatever. But when you first see comedy, you're like, so that that person is just going up there and saying stuff and people are making them laugh and that is and that's their job and people did people pay them for that? And it was really interesting because I was like, I don't want to have a normal job. I don't if I can grow up and do that and that can be a job, I don't want to. I don't want to do a job. But of course it felt like a big coping mechanism in terms of you know, where is that socializing? Wanting people to like me, feeling like I needed people to like me. So as with everything, it's kind of both because it's like, well, the reason why you might aspire to that is because you might feel like if that's if people are a group of people are loving one person and that really seems like something you want, maybe it could possibly be because you were feeling like you are not being as loved as you would like to be by the people around you. So to answer your question both that was deep. Actually would you have to be no?
Speaker 2: But I mean, but it makes a lot of sense and I and I often wonder thankfully people turn to comedy when they feel that way as opposed to something else that would be plainful to you or people around you.
Speaker 1: Right, So, yeah, I mean I could have. Also, I've been a cult leader. I think I could have gotten that way you could have.
Speaker 2: It almost seems like anyone can be these days.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, it's like the bearer to entry is way too low for me. And oh leader, now it sucks. You should have to be like charismatic at this point.
Speaker 2: I have to have a little bit of that. What was the moment though, that you thought you I could actually do this for a living and make a living at it? Was there a moment.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there was one moment. I think there was a series of moments that it was a natural thing that I was always doing when I was in school. I was making little comic books for my friends to try to make them laugh and passing them out. I was always doing that thing where you sit your family down and kind of perform for them. I was we would have a thing in my I remember my fourth grade class. My teacher had all the kids sort of do this like journal kind of thing in the morning and write down, write based on a prompt, and I would always try to make mine as funny as possible because we were all going to present them. So I was always just trying to make the other kids around laugh. So it is in any situation where I was able to do that, I think because laughing, just making other people laugh felt so affirming. I was really always trying to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, get that feeling.
Speaker 1: I have a distinct memory of as watching Friends with my family, somebody said something and everybody laughed, and then I literally on the show, you know, and then I literally just repeated what was on the show, and then my whole family, who was gathered around the TV, they all laughed at me, and I was like, whoa, so that's something that feels good. Yeah, And then I think later in the show somebody said screw you, and my family laughed at that, and then I tried to repeat that, and then my family was like, no, hey, don't say that.
Speaker 2: You're grounded.
Speaker 1: But it was like funny, Like that moment of like one of my earliest moments of being like, oh, say a funny thing, people laugh, that's fun and and then immediately finding there was a line to it where it's like we just laughed at them, saying, now you don't want me to say it. I didn't know what anybody was. I didn't know what that meant. So I thought, look, it's another thing that people laughed at, and I could make you laugh. I repeat that again, And then I learned a lot of lessons in terms of context and who can say what and boundaries, yeah, and boundaries, and also and then also just like repeating a bit too much. You know, things are less funny the more you repeat them, so that the first time it felt like a surprise, which is why it was funny, And the second time they're like, oh, no, he's picking up things and he shouldn't pick up We shouldn't have laughed at that the first time, and you know, and being so being like, don't repeat your bas too much.
Speaker 2: Now, did you. Wow, that's an early lesson that to incorporate into a young comedian's mind who doesn't even know he's a comedian yet, which I think is right.
Speaker 1: That's I internalize it at the time, but I think it was like early on where it's like, oh, that's a lesson to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also did you find that you got away with more when you could make your parents laugh totally.
Speaker 1: I think I think you generally, well, that's what I found in school more than anything else, is you can get away with way more if you're making them laugh and your teachers and stuff laugh, because I think it's also like, yes, you can be distracting or whatever. There's a real balance to being a class clown. And sometimes I went too far in one direction. But if the teachers are laughing at it, they're not really going to be mad at you, because teaching is really hard and they're doing a lot a lot of work, and so if you're kind of making them enjoy their time a little bit, they're not really going to be mad at you. They are like, okay, theerious legal like come on, like we do have to do this work or whatever. But if you're getting your work done and your the key to being a class clown is also being a pretty good student, yeah, because then they're not going to be like, hey, you you're doing all this instead of getting your work done. If your work is done and right, and then you're also kind of being a class clown, then they don't really don't really care.
Speaker 2: No, they don't and it's and it's really cool, like you know, making friends like that as well. I used to be so jealous of all the kids that did that because, yeah, number one, usually they were always smarter than me, and they didn't even have to show up for tests because they did everything in advance and they made the teachers laugh, and I was like, there's something to that. There's definitely something to that. And performing for your parents too, Like I remember stuffing like toilet paper in my clothes to look like the Michel entire Man or something, and you know, and then making my brother do it, and he was like, come on, I just just to make them laugh and then to stay up late. We would you know, do whatever we could to keep them laughing so they would forget it was time to go to bed. So right, all happening. Yeah, but you had an interesting scenario.
Speaker 1: I did. I had a really interesting scenario. I was adopted, and you know, I was adopted by white Mormon parents, so the whole you know, there were a lot of a lot of rules. And that's also something that was interesting with comedy is where the boundaries were, because it would be like, sometimes it's not okay to watch the Simpsons and it's really inappropriate. I remember that being like the thing, like the Simpsons is really inappropriate, you can't watch the Simpsons. And then also I remember in my childhood watching a good amount of the Simpsons.
Speaker 2: So to say, how do you avoid that?
Speaker 1: It was kind of It's interesting because the rules were one way and they were totally real, following the rules good Mormons. But also my parents at the time when I was young. I think they adopted me at like twenty three or twenty four or twenty two and twenty three or something, so they were pretty young when they did that. So it's not like people at that age, you know, I think of I just turned thirty now, I think of people being that young trying to raise children and is insane to me. So it's like, of course, they weren't always sticking to the rules as you seek it as much as they could have wanted to, I guess.
Speaker 2: But that's not a bad thing. I mean that definitely shaped How did that shape your comedic voice and things that you felt compelled to talk about on stage.
Speaker 1: In terms of consuming media or just in terms of like what my parents were just.
Speaker 2: You know, growing up with parents that were so different than probably your friend's parents.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. Well, I grew up in Salt Lake City, so my friend my parents were not different from my friend's parents. They were all the same. I was the different one, and I knew, you know, you start to get a sense that you're different pretty early on, and that it being a big topic of conversation in our house. I didn't necessarily know it's weird because because I was sort of fish out of water, isolated, I was made to feel different than everybody else and we had a different situation going on. I didn't really because it was my family. I didn't really think about it that much growing up of like how different in adopted or blended family is racially. And then as I start to get older, you start to realize, you know, maybe middle school to teenage years, like, oh yeah, most people aren't adopted. It's actually not something that's happening in families. You know that much of course it happens. And then getting even older than that, realizing that the whole girl of just being within the Salt Lake City Mormon world is that is actually the exception to the rule of how, you know, the standard most people are living by that everybody is all kinds of religions, and there's all kinds of people throughout these United States, where when you're growing up in such an insulated community, you go, this is the norm these we've established. But the only reason why is because they famously were pioneers and went across the plains and like established their new norm because nobody wanted them anywhere else. So that was interesting growing up and getting to the point of finding out how truly weird you are in context where it's like, okay, so this sum announce that are here, and this is oh wait, no, this is actually oh this is so I wasn't that abnormal. It was just a complete shift in the contextual overton window of what norms are. It was just interesting to find out. And so then yeah, there was a lot of unpacking to do after that.
Speaker 2: There is I mean, I don't want to say I have anything close to a story like yours, but when you're young and you're different, like I grew up and I was like the only Jewish kid in the neighborhood, so I was relentlessly made fun of, but I thought everyone was just like me, and I also sort of looked like everyone else so it wasn't as difficult. But I feel like you and I grew up in a time that you know, you really didn't pay attention to that until you had to pay attention to that, like school, enter children, and then all hell breaks loose because you know that's where you get your thick skin from. But it's it's amazing how you can be so different but yet not realize it at all, and you almost want to go back to those days sometimes, like where you just everybody doesn't think like me or talk like me or look like me, and and that you turned it into comedy is the best part of all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that it became pretty necessary. I think because, like you know, the I feel like I knew I was pretty different pretty young, like my first day of preschool, which is the first time you go out anywhere you remember that far back well because of the story I'm gonna tell you, Okay, my first day of preschool, I was there and like some random kid, I had no there was like we were all just there's like super new. This is basically my only memory from this time. But then this random kid just runs up to me and goes, I hate you and everybody else seemed like fine, and this kid like sort of went out of his way to be like I hate you. Now. Do I know for a fact that was Rachel. I don't know, maybe I was getting attention in a different way, but it was a moment of like, this is sort of right away, and this is kind of how everything it's sort of how everything kind of unfolded in life in terms of like being at school. There's the differences, I guess, but I think when you're young and you just don't know what I mean, any of it means you have no context and there is just the basics of all you know is that there might be some difference that like you can't quite put your finger on, and I think people react to that. So I definitely knew that, but I just you know, you don't know how far it goes, and you don't know the reasons. You don't know any of the reasons why anybody's acting any kind of way. You go, Okay, I think this is this must be I guess normal, and then you find out it's not.
Speaker 2: And then you just turn lemons into lemonade, and yeah, you start writing for some very different rooms. You've got the onion Conan After Midnight the oscars recently, which is that little show there. I mean, how does your brain shift from when you're writing for different formats or different voices, Because that's a lot, and congratulations for all of that work.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks, It is a lot, but it's also not what am I trying to say. I think that's sort of the core of comedy and its functionality is relatively the same, and it's really just the It's like saying, maybe to a musician where it's like you playing rock or a classical worry playing jazz or something like that, where it's like you know what you're doing. You have all the same notes and keys, but you're just playing in different scales and different in different genre. So it just doing certain things at certain times and having a different kind of voice just lends itself to different things. And if you are a writer, you figure out how to take your own voice and kind of go, well, this is what I can contribute over here, this is how I help you. Know. What I'm able to do for Conan, let's say, is very different than to what I'm able to do for After Midnight, which is a much younger show that was about the Internet. And all this stuff, and the OSCARS is about like movies and sort of much more broad mainstream kind of situation. So there's a different like window of what the norms are and what people like and what tonally people are going to accept and why, But it is all in a sense the same like there is I think just being also the generation that I am growing up on a lot of this stuff that was TV, but being around before the start of the Internet and internet comedy and sort of a younger sensibility gives you a great way to kind of see the arc of when certain jokes are totally appropriate, the way you want to say certain jokes, what points everybody wants to make, the way people think about things, and that's all just kind of being sort of socially aware too at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: But Yeah, to me, it's like walking through a minefield, because I would be I'd break out in a sweat, like the guy from Airplane when he's trying to land the plane. It's just water spurt out everywhere. What's your writing process, Like, are you a notebook guide? You do you do voice memos or I like that you kind of compared it to music, which was kind of a really cool comparison. Do you do workshop everything on stage? Like Joan Rivers, she'd come out on stage on a random night somewhere in New York City and throw, you know, notes down jokes on the floor so she could look down and pick a joke and then see the response from people, and you know, I'd see her crumple one up and throw it off the stage if no one laughed. What is your process?
Speaker 1: Interesting? It's different for different things. My process is very what a lot of it is centered around what do I need to do in the short term, Like it's kind of thing depending like coming up, I'm going to record another stand up set soon, so then I'm focusing kaya more on Okay, so let's work out the stand up so that will be very notebookie or premises sometimes will be voice memos. But also I think of your brain. I've been saying your brain is just a muscle that generates ideas, and it does a lot of other stuff regularly to nervous system and whatever, well all that bullshit, but it's constantly going to be coming up with ideas. An idea is simply just an idea, and you there is so many avenues in comedy, especially now, for an idea to be manifested into a sketch or a something or whatever, and sometimes it's nothing. So a lot of the process is just like letting all that stuff come out, writing it down and getting that in that place. And then if you are looking for an idea, like I do, I spend a lot of time sometimes just going back through my notes and going, Okay, what could this be? And then there's also saying things in person to people. Sometimes you go that's something I should write down. Have been on some podcasts recently. There are a couple jokes that I've just stead in conversation based on the kind of setup to what's going on that felt specific enough that I was like, you know what, I think I'm gonna maybe try that out on stage. How do you remember, in.
Speaker 2: The middle of a podcast you hold that thought, I gotta write something down here.
Speaker 1: Honestly, to go back to go back to my Mormon roots. It's a still small voice inside that whispers to me, that goes there's just a spidey sense of like that's something it is a Now I feel like I'm getting very spiritual, but I'm like, it's like a slaver. It's like a vibe. It's like a you feel you don't know, you don't know what it is before you're there and you can try to get to it, which is this sitting down and writing part if you are coming at it fresh. I don't have like a specific writing process. When I'm very specifically working on something, then it's maybe a little bit more structured depending on where it is. But like my process for Onion headlines is much different than my process for sketch, stand up or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. I mean, do you ever does has anyone ever sent you an Onion headline like a meme or a text just not realizing that you had written.
Speaker 1: That's happened a handful of times, I'm sure most of most of the time. What's happened a lot more is people have set me stuff guessing that was that you? Was that you? And then I go, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: Don't you love that?
Speaker 1: I get that sometimes right, yeah, and you're like, no, that's a that's no, it's not. But I thank you for thinking of me, thank you for thinking that I could I could do it.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I have an example for you, Skylark, how about this all right, So the Oscars is one of the most watched nights in entertainment. What's the experience like? Take us into the writer's room. You already said it kind of up front. You know you're in the writer's room. If you have a huge laugh attack, you're obviously going to alienate yourself from half the writers who are mad that you're funny or funnier. But what's the pressure feel like when you know, like literally a billion people are going to hear your joke?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't think we're internalizing that. Really, I don't think. No, I genuinely don't. There is the first time, and especially as we got right into the show, that pressure starts to build. But like the people who are writers, everybody who was writers with on the team that I was on, which was this the Conen writing team, they are so seasoned and so experienced and so good that and have been doing it for so long you know that it's it's nobody's really getting stressed out. You get stressed out in the same what you get neurotic about what feels right and whatever. But I don't think we're super nervous and we I think personally i'd be more nervous if I was the one that I had to go out there and do it. But we are sort of right as the oscars are happening. Right at showtime, we're sort of situation rooming in the background and kind of just being like, Okay, how's it gonna go? How's it gonna go? That is the time when we're the most nervous. The rest of the process is relatively fun because we're writing jokes every day. We're trying to pitch bits every day running up to it, and it starts to because we work on it for the three months, so it's kind of it goes to January to whatever the Oscars is. So everything's kind of abstract and blue sky early on, and that it congeals more and more and more as we get up to show time and as we're following the tone of how the awards race is kind of going, as we're following the news, as we're following how the industry's going, and so it's kind of so we can have what feels like a good reflection of the time and do comedy that feels both evergreen and like this is what this is, what this year means in terms of movies and the film and industry. So it is fun. There's not there's pressure involved, of course, but like Conan's such a pro. Conan's writers are such pros that it's not they've done it before in big shows before that, so it's it's really not that scary. No.
Speaker 2: I can only imagine it being so much fun that I don't even know how I would be able to get anything done. And just thinking about Conan alone, like just mentioning his name makes me want to laugh. So I can't even imagine what it must be like to work with him and write with his team.
Speaker 1: He is the reason, and he understands this. He is the reason why a lot of times we're not getting anything done is the writers. People will sit there and we're, you know, we're writing, and then he'll kick the door in and do anywhere from fifteen to two hours and forty five minutes of looking around and riffing that. You're like, okay, that's great, Can you stop.
Speaker 2: I gotta get work done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At a certain point we kind of sit there and then sometimes you know, he will go for a while and it'll be lower energy and he'll still just be like kind of hanging out and it's like, okay, but we don't really we're not getting real work done while you're in here. And he knows that, so he just likes to have conversations about, you know, the direction he's going with stuff, what he's trying to do. He's he's great in so many ways because he's a very very silly man, as we all know. But he's also a very thoughtful guy in terms of comedy and in terms of how it should be done and the bar that we're trying to clear in terms of comedy, especially for what we're doing, and he has a lot of conversations about that, and you know, and will come in and sort of rally the troops and encourage the writers and go, it's never too late to come up with an amazing idea. Always be coming up with the idea is it's and he's all about sort of staying limber but like kind of you never know, and let's just like make get happen.
Speaker 3: And it just the way that he goes about doing it, I think is what leads to really good comedy because it's not like him coming in being like pressure, pressure, pressure, do a good job, do a good job.
Speaker 1: Do a good job. He goes, He comes in and he goes, I know that you guys are great. I know that you can do an amazing job. Just continue to be trying your best, thinking of all these ways. But we're knocking it out of the park. I'm really happened the last two years especially, he's been really like that leading up to the show no more and more, and it's it's been. It's just a really fun process to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine. I would love to be a fly on the wall now. Skyler being named just for Laugh's new face is a real industry stamp of approval. Did that change everything for you or the way that rooms looked at you or the you looked at yourself.
Speaker 1: No, that's an easy one. No, no, no, no, well because and not to go too into the weeds of the comedy industry, but it has changed especially I would say the two big demarcations is post twenty sixteen. Around then the twenty tens were sort of the peak of the way comedy industry is working before and then COVID and post COVID then it was like completely different. So by the time I went to JFL It was a great, huge honor, got me a lot of people in the industry that I met and stuff like that. But it used to be a lot more of a thing where if it's like if you went to JFL you are now it's the big time. It's definitely a great thing to have and it's good. But in terms of did it change everything, no, oh, and I don't know that. With a few exceptions, I don't know if there's really much that does kind of change everything now, which I think is bad and good in some ways. The ways in which it's good is I now feel like, you know, I did a Comedy Central set. I grew up on Comedy Central stand up. I finally got to tape a ten minute Comedy Central set. It's on YouTube. People can see it. That was something where another one of back in the day that would have really felt like I did it. It's changed, I've made it whatever. It's just like climbing. You just kind of keep climbing and reaching for the next thing until you look back down and they how look look how far? Yeah, and you're super tired. You think, look how far of climbs? And wow, wouldn't it be scary if I fell off here and then you got a whole other thing stressed out about. So yeah, I don't no, I don't feel you know, I don't personally feel like I am a famous comedian in any way. That's said. I have done some things that I'm proud of and continue to do that, and there's a lot of I think, interesting, fun things that I'm working on right now that are gonna come out in a lot of ways. I'm just getting started.
Speaker 2: But oh you are just by the way. I'm just here to tell you that you're just getting started. Especially if you just turn thirty. Oh my god, it's like the beginning for me.
Speaker 1: I know, it's the oldest I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Really, that's all you've ever been is thirty.
Speaker 1: I know I want to take sixty two out for a spin someday, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh you will, but you know when your mentality what you're describing as was my next question, which I guess is probably the same answer about Vulture saying you know, the one to watch. You know, these things would usually indicate that someone has arrived and you're saying, yeah, well it's great to have, but it's sort of part of the process. And I'm just going to keep moving forward regardless. And it's not about fame really, it's more about working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's all about building sort of a sustainable career and being able to pay your bills at the end of the day. Say to myself all the time, I love the opportunities that I'm getting, that I get and I'm getting and I'm grateful for them. But also everything is just another thing. Everything time moves on. You have to keep doing more stuff. This whole idea of arriving or making it, there are so many people who have arrived and then they unarrived. You arrived for a second. Then your kind of career kind of goes up and down and you can be on and then you can be off, and then you can be back on and it can just be Hopefully you get to a place eventually where you're like, I've reached a happiness and a satisfaction with everything that's happened, and keep trying for better. But it's you know, it's it's tough because it's it's like, well, the and also the idea of even fame now is abstract. It's it's you can be really famous to some people. You can be not. I mean, con o'bryan's one of the most famous people in the world. And there were some people that when I first started writing for him in twenty twenty that I told about like Conan, and a couple of people were like, oh, yeah, which one's Conan again? Who is that?
Speaker 2: Oh that happened to you before you turn thirty, because that's usually a milestone thing when you turn thirty and you like, you just talking with someone and you run a line from a movie and they're like, what was that from? And that's when you're like, oh shit, right, But that obviously happened to you five years ago, Skyler, So you're experiencing things a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: But it makes sense, right, But the feature is different now because people are and people are so into and it wasn't that many people like some people, yes, but some people are also like, oh yeah, I don't really you know, even then, and those where even people who are slightly younger than me, I think, and not in comedy or even the comedy fans really, so that's also a different thing. But yeah, it's that's just what happens, you know. You could say I could say right now, I could say like, oh, yeah, I show speed is a person who is very very very famous right now, and I'm sure tons of listeners would be like, who is that? Who is that guy? He just said? And it's just like an internet streamer guy who's like crazy famous. But if you're over the age of I want to say, every nobody over the age of thirty five has heard of this guy before, and for good reason. There's an internet guy and it's kind of clear what he actually does. He like plays video games, but then also just kind of runs around, you know, like that's all. That's what fame is now, So it's not like an inherent actual value. I wouldn't want to be sort of famous for famous's sake, the way that started happening in the two thousands times, after reality TV shows and all of that. You know.
Speaker 2: So, what I think you're kind of saying, if I could summarize, is don't rest on your laurels, meaning don't just assume you know you've got it all, but also relax in the saddle of life.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, that's exactly what I was saying.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also like enjoy it, enjoy it, really have to enjoy. That's the biggest thing you know this podcast is it's comedy saved me. And the weird thing that can happen. And I've been in these situations sometimes is you know, I am trying to make comedy. I am a comedian and I'm so frustrated and upset and this sucks and I hate what's going on and it's crazy because you're like, but wait, this is supposed to be comedy, so shouldn't even that be Why am I? Why am I mad? Why am I angry? Why am I feeling so competitive about comedy that I'm upset at everything around me? And why am I?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Why is my mindset like this? If it is supposed to be making people laugh and making people happy like that, that's dumb. That's dumb. Who Why would it suck to be the person that's trying to make people laugh that? And you can very easily in the entertainment industry, especially get into that zone because it's so competitive, there's so much hierarchy. There's people that you started with that are getting way more famous than you. There are people that started after you you that are getting way more famous than you, And you go, where is my mom? I'm not gettingthing stuff was uh, and then you get upset and then it's like you're supposed to be enjoying this, And that is always something that I try to really remember. I've been on a huge, huge because I think there's a lot of really not good stuff happening in comedy right now in terms of what people are allowing to happen, and that is very easy to be very cynical about. Reason my example, I think the easiest example that I think a lot of people will have heard of is like Tony Hingecliff and the killed Tony stuff I find to be very negative and very not good, and I think very exploitive, and you know, he's he goes he was at the big Trump rally, heat heap. A lot of this stuff I find very problematic and really negative. Not to harp on that, but because that's such a big part of what it's it's grown and grown and I would say metastasized as a part of the comedy industry, that you can sit there and kind of be mad about that all day, with which sh I am in a lot of ways. But I also try to shift my focus to what am I going to be positive about and what do. I like, I don't want to just do what the system is telling me to do. I would like to be positive in and enjoy the things and see comedy that I like and see my friends and go, wow, that's really really amazing. That's because it's hard to do comedy that's good. So like, of course there's going to be a lot of bad stuff because like the good stuff is hard to make, and if there's so many people in this, there's gonna be a lot of bad and it's not the best of it. Let's like, I'm trying to focus on the good more, not to say I don't want to criticize the stuff that I think is the bad, because I do, But I just think that also kind of living in a space where it's like, but there is so much amazing comedy right now that so many people can be affirmed from, and that is interesting and new and different, that that is is a nice place for me to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, necessity breeds invention, So never fear because where there's a whole, it'll be filled with something good. And also, what you just said was really poignant. If you focus on the things that you don't want, that's what you're going to get Yeah, so why focus on that I.
Speaker 1: Heard very early on. I don't even remember this is I think this was in terms of a creative thing. But it's like, you can't define something entirely by what it's what it's not. You know, I can't. I can't tell you who I am and just tell you, oh, well, I'm not this, I'm not this, I'm not that. That's not that gives you no sense of who I am. But but you have to define it by like what it is, by the positive, by what's there. You can't entirely define something correctly by the negative or what if it's an antithesis too, So that is that's also, you know, I think very important to me in terms of both personally and the way I want to live my life, but also just like creatively, where it's like no, it's instead of being like it's not like it's not like it's like okay, But what is it? How do you feel it all? What? What is? What is good? What? What are you trying to do? Not like what do you hate that other people are doing.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with more of the Comedy Saved Me podcast. Welcome back to the Comedy Saved Me podcast.
Speaker 2: What's something that surprised you about the comedy industry once you got inside of it? Just one random thing that was surprising.
Speaker 1: Thing surprised, Oh interesting.
Speaker 2: If I like it? When I make you think you really like that?
Speaker 1: The thing that surprised me about the comedy industry. This is gonna sound I know, I just talked so much. I just pre positivity so much. But but the thing that but the thing that really did surprise me is like how incompetent so many people are. Who are the people who aren't in charge of, yeah, running the show because they many many of them have no sense of comedy. And it's funny because they have all in the control and so you're kind of like, oh huh. And then the other thing that it's not super surprising, but in terms of you know, who makes it, who's popular, who whatever? Is that it's just really it is nothing in this country has ever been truly merit based because of believerory. But the comedy world of like this person's whatever, and this person's over here, it's not merit based, and it doesn't mean anybody's inherently better than anybody else in terms of talent. It's just that they got lucky in this way and this thing happened, and then they kind of took this path and that and then so they're there, and everybody's kind of where they are, but they are just there are incredibly talented people at every level, and there are incredibly untalented people at every level and that, and it's just it's the There is a I guess correlation in my mind, and I think a pretty positive correlation of talent to success, but it's very loosely correlated.
Speaker 2: Now I understand exactly what you're laying down.
Speaker 1: So if you used to think, I guess, I used to think, you know, if you put in this amount of work and get this amount good, then you don't get this amount successful. And that's just not true. You know, there's a bunch of factors. Some of them are about you, most of them are not, you know. Some of them is who you are, most of it is has nothing to do with you, and you're just you know, it's an industry, which means you are a laborer in the industry. And when you think of yourself in terms of labor in a marketplace, more than this, I'm the philosopher, poet, you know, extraordinary kind of guy. I have such a Yeah, you're an artist, but it's like there's also the industry, uh, and the mechanisms of capitalism in the industry in a larger scale sense. Don't really they're not really interested in the art itself or the equality of it. It's only in so far as like what can make money at the end of the day, and they feel can make money. And if somebody feels your movie idea could make a lot of money, whether good or bad, they're like, let's do let's do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're apples and oranges. That's what my husband always tells me. We're just apples and.
Speaker 1: As and or And you can be really you can get really negative about that because that can sound awful. But I think it just sort of releases a lot of the personal making it about you, making it upset about you when you didn't get something, or you know, oh I must not be good enough, or it must be about It's like, it's not about you, you know, it's it's truly not It's about so many other factors and just and it goes back to what I was saying before, Just do your best and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, such. I mean, it seems so simple to say that, but it really is the truth because when you start peeling back the onion, it ain't pretty in the center there you think it's just like the golden egg is in there, and you get there and you're like, wow, this is what it is? Like why did I worry so much? Why did I put so much pressure on myself to be? And also, success isn't just finance it' right, you know a life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, there's a lot of things to it. Well, even in terms of you know, let's talk let's say getting a show made or something like that. You could be like, oh, I guess you know, I was never a good enough writer to get my show made or whatever. But then like, let's think about it even more. There's like whatever the concept is, if it works for any of these places that is going to be these production companies, and whether it works for them in a way that they think that they can develop it into something that they could sell to some of the networks, and whether the networks want to buy it, and like what the networks are, like, what their mandates are based on whatever they think people are gonna like. And then on a larger level. Now you have all these network consolidations where Paramount is consolidating. No, and then they're cutting their executive steps and they're blah blah blah. And then once you once you start looking at it like that, Oh, it didn't have anything to do with the idea. Oh how good it was, whether or not it was, it had nothing to do with it. Is all of this because the Trump and all that. It just that it has nothing to do with you.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, preach No, that's all. That's all. That's all I had to say. I just I just want people to not feel like they're If they feel like they're quote unquote failing, that, they're not failures. It's not their fault. It's not a personal quality of them. It's got everything to do with the material conditions and the sort of economic structure of what's going on. Like I've auditioned for SNL, I clearly didn't get it. I had a good audition, but I did not get onto SNL. In the years since, I've done some things that I I've felt were really cool and I really liked, and I like if I had gone on SNL when I auditioned for it, then I never would have been able to write for the Oscars, for example, and that has been very cool, interesting experience, even in terms of getting to hang out with Conan O'Brien from the amount of time that I've had, which never would have happened if I had been on SNL like it just true, wouldn't have. Everything that's meant for you is meant for you. Yeah, don't even worry about it. Literally, try your best, do your thing, do what you're interested in, do what you think you'd be good at, and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 2: Listen to Skyler.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Why can't we just listen to Skylar Skyler help me be Black? Tell us about the podcast? What made you want to be or our brother? Build a podcast?
Speaker 1: Why did you want to?
Speaker 2: Can we start at the beginning? No, what made you want to build a whole podcast around this part of your story? Really?
Speaker 1: I wanted to just because there is always been this difference in what I experienced versus what black people in black households, they grew up in black households and in black communities know and have experienced. Culturally. It's always been interesting with me because it's not like my life has been without the struggles of being a black man in America. Obviously, like that just happens regardless, but to have not connected to have not been growing up connected to any of the culture is a funny thing because the exchange was kind of like, oh, you get this oppression, but like, you're gonna be good at music, for example, you're gonna grow up in a church. It's gonna teach you how to sing really well, or you get to go to black church because but I didn't get to have that. So it's just always been something that has taken a lot of unpacking, you know, for a good amount of time when I was young, I was like, oh, I didn't feel like I'm really black. I don't know if I really get to, you know whatever. It just is something that was a huge point of strife in my personal life and feeling an inferiority complex based on that, and I thought, you know, I've grown out of that now, but I still did feel like my experience is not ever going to have had change like that. It's just where I'm from, and there's nothing that I can do about that, even if I have to sometimes feel like I'm explaining myself to people. There's nothing that I can do about it. So I just thought, you know what, let's just I just want to talk about these things because they are very interesting to me because as black people are, culture and our experiences and our history is so so important to our identities, and when you have a different experience of that, it can be a little weird. I remember a couple of times sometimes people will just react to something I put online or something, and I got one comment where a guy was like this, this guy, why is this guy talking like this? He's talking white or whatever, or it seems like he's, hey know, white people. This guy's got like a white voice. And I go, but he was kind of he was being very critical, and I replied to him and I was like, oh yeah, I mean I was adopted and raised by white people. Wasn't my choice. There's nothing I could do about that. And then that guy replied and he's like, oh man, I'm sorry, that's real different. And I didn't know you like did a complete money. I thought it was so funny because it was like, okay, so a lot of time, for good reasons, black people will approach people who are not behaving as traditionally black as like specifically trying to sell out or being a certain way in order to appeal to the white gays or whatever. But and I think maybe from a distance, you can maybe approach myself like that. But then once you just kind of hear the situation and then I had no control over it, it was like, oh, actually I actually do have empathy. I thought you were just like trying to just not be around black people, but I now see that you just weren't given the opportunity to and that's a different scenario.
Speaker 2: Well, it's nice that you make people stop for a minute and put themselves in someone else's shoes, because a lot of people don't know how to do that, and it's like you should always seek first to understand before being understood, but no one ever does that. It's like, no, you gotta understand me first. I don't care what happened to you.
Speaker 1: People don't want to do that, and it's it's easier not to, but it's it's yes, it is funny when people just really they just want to kind of point fingers and go this is and I don't like. I don't like how it's different. And it's it's that same thing that goes back to me when I was in pre school of just being like, that's different. I don't get it. I don't like it. Yeah, and now that's something I am way more whipped to handle. But it's like, this is who I am. What am I gonna do? What I gonna do, This is who I am. It's fine, and it's fine. I like it, But like if you're mad at that, there's nothing I can do about it. Whatever people might say, I'm very pro black. I'm very when I think of the black identity politically and stuff I know about our history. I'm trying to know as much as I can about our culture that I didn't grow up with, which takes a lot of time because there's not like really one book. Oh yeah, yeah, there's not one book that this is oh and it's like and then also like we in America are not a monolith. Then you also have the black diaspora across the world, and everybody in the diaspora feels differently about each other, and everybody has a lot of opinions about all of this stuff. And also then it's very insular because there's this idea of you can be blacker or less black, or there's this like version of essentialism and that's kind of weird, and let's impact that and what is it? It's so abstract. One of the best avenues to figure that kind of stuff out is podcast and you could have a lot of different conversations about it. So that's why I have a comedian, a black comedian that's a guest, and they bring in a topic that they want to talk about, and then we just talk about it and sometimes I do a little research. Most of the time I don't. Sometimes they have a take on it or thoughts on it, and they want to educate me in one way or another, and then we just talk and we sit down and we riff and it's like very lucy goosey casual and we usually end up learning a thing or two or having some enlighten revelation and some silly jokes the whole time. So it's fun.
Speaker 2: That's the most important thing is coming away learning something, and the laughter, of course is a bonus of what. What's like one piece of advice that you that was you know, sparked from the podcast, or the best piece of advice either with a guest or with the audience or conversation, something that stands out to you.
Speaker 1: Something I learned recently that I didn't know is that at Judentine celebrations there is at least in Houston, where my guest Lacey grew up, there would be red kool aid at the Juneine celebrations. And you know, the kool aid and black people is already whatever stereotype, but also the reason why it's read it's sort of representative of like the blood of the ancestors and is like kind of honoring people who came before and and died and were you know, had terrible horrible experiences with slavery and stuff like that, and this that it's that and that tradition, the red juice like tradition actually goes back up very long time to Africa putting like certain red things and dyes and stuff into the drinks to be honoring like people in the past. I had no idea. I had no idea, and I was like, wow, I had that's and I think, I know, you know, at this point, I know a good amount just from the friends that I've had. I'm finding things out all the time where it's like I didn't know, I didn't know that, I had no idea about that, So you know, that kind of stuff just comes up because it just does. I just have no idea about certain things unless you're like, really there And yeah, it was interesting to me.
Speaker 2: What is doing a podcast helped me be black? Taught you something about yourself that stand up probably couldn't have alone.
Speaker 1: Hmmm. I do think that it has taught me that I am much more interested in being silly than I am and in trying to get deep sometimes. And it's hard when you're the host of a show because you want to maybe crack a joke when you should be asking a question. And I've gotten better about balancing it. I also have noticed that I feel sometimes like I am smarter on paper or in my thoughts than I am able to articulate in a moment. And sometimes I will be listening back to the podcast being like, oh, it sounds so stupid. This is not a smart guy. But I like, I feel like I am actually smart. But then I go on podcasts and try to talk about stuff and I'm like, oh, I don't know what this guy's saying. Wait, maybe you.
Speaker 2: Listen back to your podcast.
Speaker 1: No, not often, just sometimes for clips and stuff, and I go that could have been said better, but I whatever, Well, what.
Speaker 2: You missed was radio the original medium. It was a one and done. It didn't live on forever and infamy online. Therefore you never really had to worry about what you said. And then when the people would call and say they said something, and we had this thing called the Skimmer tape, was that happened to be broken. Every time someone wanted to hear what I said that they didn't like, Oh yeah, that thing, it's really old. It just broke.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, listening back, you hear something, someone said something funny and you were thinking of your next question. You didn't laugh, but you laughing because you're hearing back the podcast, and you're like, why didn't I laugh at that? I sound like an idiot.
Speaker 1: The thing of everything being super available too is that then you have to let go of a lot of that kind of stuff as well, where you go, Yeah, everybody can be super critical of it now every moment, like I've had a couple of clips go out where something slightly fat actually incorrect was said in the setup to something and then it is, you know, kind of becomes a whole bit or whatever. And the people that and people online have gotten just so insane, has just taken the whole clip and just gotten so so upset about the technical factual inaccuracy of whatever. I'm like, this was such a small moment. And it's funny because let's say you're recorded the podcast you know, however many weeks ago, and that goes out and then there's that clip that happened for a couple of seconds in your brain and life, and you kind of whatever, and then people are seeing it and then they're getting really really mad and they're like commenting for days and days, and you go, that's just like kind of something I said for like a second, and I'm not saying anything crazy offensive and I'm not like spreading this information. Also, back to the internet thing is people getting so angry and overly and about things because they're the consumer. This is the content. I have no emotional connection to who these people are. But at the end of the day, it is like, well, I'm just a person talking, Like what, are you completely one percent correct about everything you say all the time? I don't think you are. So when you are kind of condemning who I am as an entire person based on something that was said, for to say and like a very small thing. It's not great, and I don't love that, and it's you sort of build up a bigger muscle for those things too, where you go, okay. So I guess I'm just getting better about not caring when it feels like everyone's mad at me, when I'm like, well, it's not really that good of a reason for everyone to be mad at me, so just we'll just move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, back in my day we used to call that bad press. But you know what, there isn't any bad press. So if they're talking about you, yeah, you've done something right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, even if they're saying it was wrong. Right. But it's also just an Instagram, Like it was just a couple of different clips that was just like in the comments, everybody's like, oh it was. It was funny because it was something that was small. Where we were talking about the most recent one. We were talking about MLK and Malcolm X and people of the day, and we were just talking about how black haircut situations have changed, and I kind of just basically said, well, like, yeah, like MLK wasn't lined up, you know, which he wasn't. He didn't have like a fresh cut fade in the way that we do now, and people got really mad. They were like, no, he had a haircut, but and you then you guys, and then you started coming in our haircuts and like, you guys not lined up, you're not fresh. And I'm like, what do you think this is me criticizing MLK, Like I'm just I was just saying haircuts are different. This is different than it was. And then so because that is, maybe that shouldn't in our brains become so fundamental And the reason why you're getting upset is the same point that I'm making that it's like this the situation is not like fundamental to who you are necessarily and how black you are and what you know all of this stuff. It was just funny that that was sort of the point that I was making and people took it such the wrong way because and it's like, but well, you're kind of proving my point because you're like, you just assume because I'm saying that he wasn't lined up, that that I'm saying what that he what? What are you talking about? Anyway? What I do like about the podcast is I don't have to go around being like I know, I know everything. If I don't know something, it's fine, and other people tell me that I don't know it, and I go, yeah, okay, well I'm learning.
Speaker 2: Well that's a wonderful quality about you, Skyler. Is that that you want to have these discussions and you want to talk and you're not just a keyboard cowboy cowboy keyboard cowboy. Yeah No, I mean you. You want to talk to people who have different opinions and different thoughts, and that's the most important thing to be able to grow and learn and understand who you are really m M and who everyone else is, which is probably impossible to figure out at this point. But so I just asked you a little fluffy question, and now I'm going to go in for the big one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This show is built around the idea that comedy can be a lifeline and it can be very healing. Was there a specific moment in your life where comedy genuinely saved you or healed you or brought you back from the brink?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a couple of moments like that. I do think that me if I were to give you the biggest easy answer but also a very true answer, is that, like, how many save me from like going on a Mormon mission and like being a Mormon and saved me from the Mormon Church, which I would personally consider a cult and got me. I me getting interested in comedy was to me listening to comedians talk about stuff. There was big podcast, you know, and shout out to Pete Holmes and his podcast because it was all about religion and sort of deconstructing that kind of stuff. And yes, my interest in comedy was sort of the avenue of exploring the world and thoughts out of Mormonism. And you know, you're kind of encouraged when you're Mormon to kind of be only focusing on Mormon stuff. They don't really want you reading a lot of other religious texts or thinking of finding out a lot about too many thoughts about what, you know, other people are trying to say about Mormonism, and they go, well, a lot of that is specifically anti Mormon kind of stuff, and it's they've designed it to make you doubt and it's kind of it's kind of gafflight y, and so it's and they yeah, it is, but they are also kind of tricky about the way they're saying it. To say, no, I'm saying that you shouldn't. But it's like they're also not actively encouraging it, at least when I was growing up. And I don't imagine it's change that much. But getting into comedy and all that stuff, people were They're talking about all kinds of things and saying all kinds of things about how the world works. And it was just the same things that were getting me into comedy were getting me out of being a super religious Mormon person. And if I had not found comedy, I probably would still have sort of, you know, gone on a Mormon mission, gotten married at twenty two and all have done all this stuff. And I'm glad that's not all my life looks like wow?
Speaker 2: And what do you want people to feel when they leave one of your sets or finish an episode of your podcast?
Speaker 1: Uh, just that that guy's funny. My main things. My main things is, oh, that guy's funny. He should probably be more famous right now. Those are my kind of two where people go, Guys, that was really good and I like that. And other than that, that's all I'm not. If you have some revelatory moment in some way, sure, if you go wow, I never thought about that before. If you go whoa that made me change my life. Whatever, That's not what I'm going for. I'm trying to do a very good, interesting form of the art form and think that it's art. I just want people at the end of the day again into my stand up sets and walking out going that was really funny, that was really good. We gotta look that guy up or whatever, and at the end of the podcast, I would like, oh, that was very funny, and then also, oh, that was informative. I didn't know that, So the podcast maybe going for a little bit more of informative then funny or just like interesting, but just yeah. I would like people to think for my stand up and if someone were to ask them, hey, was what you just saw, would you consider it art, and for them to just quickly say yes, because I think there is some stand up or versions of comedy that you can watch where I go. I don't feel that this is art, not that I'm approaching it in a pretentious way, but at least in an interesting enough way where people go okay, or and a lot of people if they're not comics. I do want people to feel like, oh, I I couldn't have done what he just did. I wouldn't know how to do that, that is, but that's all.
Speaker 2: That's huge though. I mean, I live vicariously through so many people and they have no idea. I love hanging out with them because like, I could never do that, I could never say that, and I love that you do. Two more questions, shorties, but goodies. Number one, how important is it to laugh at yourself? And number two? What is next for Skyler Higley? What is on deck? What can fans be looking for?
Speaker 1: How important is it to laugh at yourself? Very I laugh at myself all the time. I say jokes to myself that I think are stupid. I think of things all the time that I think it's very important to laugh at yourself. This whole idea of uh, you know not the comedians not laughing at themselves is I think, very stupid.
Speaker 2: How can you be a comedian if you can't laugh at you? Like, I don't know how that's possible.
Speaker 1: There's kind of this thing of like, oh, well, you're not supposed to like openly say you're funny or whatever. That's not No. I'm funny and I like it, and I funny and i I'm but it's also what sorry for enjoying myself. This is actually my only skill. I actually don't know how to do anything else really, So if I'm appreciating how I do this, then I think that's fine, because I know I'm not good at basically anything else. I love and that's cool. And as far as what's next, I have a couple projects that are going to be coming out that I'm working on. Working on a little thing with the Tim Heideker, an Info Wars thing because the Onion has bought Info Wars, so we're we're going in that direction with this new comedy platform. So I'm working on that. And there's another show that's coming out on YouTube that I am going to be a head writer for, so check those out when you when those come out. What's going to I think I can say about the I don't know if I can even say right now and then, and I don't know if I can say this either, but I am going to have a new stand up set coming out online on a platform that people have heard of, and I don't I don't know if they want that announced yet either, but that's what I'm interested in. And and well, we'll see what the rest of the year manifests into but I'm excited with what's happening right now creatively, and uh, you know, we'll see what's what's next. There's always going to be a next thing, and sometimes you don't know what it.
Speaker 2: Is, no, but it keeps you smiling and keeps you motivated to keep moving forward. Skyler Hickley, it was so great to have you and all of your wisdom. Er, thank you for sharing, Thank you story. And Skyler's podcast is let Me Be, Let Me be, help me be Black, Let me be Black, Help me Be Black. And it's wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, everybody can get it.
Speaker 2: You can get it, get them, get you some okay of Skyler Hickley. Now, damn it. Thank you so much, Thank you so much, and good luck with everything coming up. And please I make you, I bet, And thanks for taking the time today. And also conan quick story. He used to live in a town that I'm in right now in Connecticut, and I didn't know and I moved here eighteen years ago. My cat died and my husband and I were extremely emotional and were like, so we bury her in the backyard, which I guess you're not supposed to do, but we did. And then we went to a diner and we sat down. I looked a mess. I couldn't have been worse he was. We're like crying and in walks Conan O'Brien and his kids and they sit in the booth right behind us. And I got to tell you, listening to him handle the kids and they were really young. This was like eighteen years ago. The way he used comedy to manage them was so amazing that it had me laughing, of course because we had to listen what was going on the booth behind us. But it just got me out of my doldrums. And he's really one of the best of the best. So yeah, I know you don't get into this, but if you see him, just to you know, give him a hug for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will. Well, if he allows me to hug, that might be weird, but okay that I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: It could be weird anyway. Thank you and thanks for that laugh.
Speaker 1: Thank you appreciate it. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 5: I'm buzz night, and thanks for listening to Comedy Save Me with Lynn Hoffman, and do check out our other podcast, Lynn Hoffman's Music Save Me podcast also Sarah Harrelson and Taking a Walk Nashville and Don't Forget also about taking a Walk, hosted by Yours Truly. All shows are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and are part of the iHeart podcast network.