Speaker 1: Autumn, the season that teaches us change can be beautiful. A well timed quote this morning from author and illustrator Heather still have Son on this first full day of fall, Hello to you all on TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes and I'm Amy Roboch. It's Monday, September twenty third. And on today's Morning run, a mass shooting in Alabama was possibly a paid targeted hit. Also a deal struck over the weekend to avert that government shutdown.
Speaker 1: Plus Kim Kardashian goes to prison, Elon Musk gets sued by Cards of Humanity, and what Janet Jackson says she heard about Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: Also this morning, what do a missing ring, a dead whale, and Rak Junior all have in common? And turns out saying beetlejuice three times is a charm at the box office.
Speaker 1: But we have to begin our morning run in Birmingham, Alabama. That's where over the weekend a mass shooting took place in a busy entertainment district and four people were killed seventeen others injured when multiple shooters opened fire.
Speaker 2: Now, as of this recording, those shooters are still on the run and police believe they were carrying out a paid hit on one individual. That person is among those killed, and the other victims were unfortunately caught in the crossfire.
Speaker 1: This was just after eleven pm on Saturday. Multiple people drove up to the area, got out of a vehicle and began shooting into the crowd, then drove away. Birmingham's mayor said they believed the suspects may have used illegal gun conversion devices in the shooting, often referred to as switches that can override a trigger mechanism and a gun and making it essentially a machine gun.
Speaker 2: Wow. And according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, those conversion devices can actually convert a semi automatic pistol and a rifle into fully automatic weapons in less than sixty seconds. Well, the next leg of our run is taking us to Washington day See the US runs out of money in a week, so, of course, Congressional leaders announced just yesterday that the crisis has yes been averted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently there is now a stop gap spending bill in place, i e. A temporary fix that does have bipotters partisan support. The government is set to run out of money on September thirtieth and less Congress takes action.
Speaker 2: Now, the bill is a three month temporary measure. It's going to keep the government running for at least through the election and into the end of the year. The STOPGAK plan, however, does not include an extra two hundred and thirty one million dollars for the Secret Service.
Speaker 1: It does include that two hundred and thirty million extra. Of course, a lot of the back and forth has been about people trying to sneak a few extra things into this spending bill, and they couldn't come to an agreement. So the only thing they could agree on is that, yes, maybe the Secret Service needs a little extra help. I think a lot of people might agree with that, given some of the scarity we've seen.
Speaker 2: Why am I not was not in a very well placed part of that sentence to my apologies.
Speaker 1: Sorry, he's gonna keep it wrong. On this Monday, a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Having some Monday I had a case of the Monday's already. Yes, happy Monday.
Speaker 1: Everyone, But that's quite all right. We do want to continue this run very carefully here. Now, we gotta do this in prison. Actually, let me explain. That's where Kim Kardashian was over the weekend she met two notorious killers, the Menendez brothers. This visit comes after backlash over a new Netflix show starring Kardashian that's about Yep, the Menendez.
Speaker 2: Brothers, Yes, and the show Monsters. The Lyle and Eric Menendez story has caused a bit of a store and it's faced some criticism over its portrayal of the case. Kardashian, many of you may know, was taken up criminal justice reform. She's visited several prisons in the past and reportedly spoke to the Menendez brothers and a number of other prisoners at the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility. This is all outside of San Diego, and this all reportedly happened over the weekend on Saturday, and she.
Speaker 1: Did apparently have family members with her had a co star with her on the show at TV producer as well. A lot of people, of course, still remember and know the story pretty well. The Menindez brothers were convicted for the nineteen eighty nine shooting deaths of their parents. The story was a media frenzy and it still fascinates to this day.
Speaker 2: That's right, and so Eric Lyles put out a lengthy statement in response to the show, saying he believes the producer, and that producer's name is Ryan Murphy, acted in bad faith and Eric believes he intentionally spread lies about himself and his brother. Eric went on to say this, and I'm going to quote him here. It is sad for me to know that Netflix's dishonest portrayal of the tragedies surrounding our crime have taken the painful truths several steps backward, and so now Murphy the producer, shapes his horrible narrative through vile and appalling character portrayals of Lyle and me and disheartening slander. Wow.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Ryan Murphy, a lot of you all may know that name, but he is the guy behind a lot of TV hits. He's an award winning producer, but he's behind hits such as Glee and American Horror Story. This is one we have not checked out yet, but a lot of people are talking about the Menindez brothers in that story on Netflix. I'm sure we'll get to it. I want to continue now our morning run with Janet Jackson, who said she heard Vice President Kamala Harris isn't black and that it was discovered that Harris's dad is white, and that was just the beginning of the confusion.
Speaker 2: Jackson made those yeah, we'll call them head scratching comments during a wide raging interview that was published over the weekend, and so, talking about Kamala Harris, Jackson said, quote, she's not black. That's what I heard, that she is Indian. She went on to say that she was told it was discovered that Harris's dad, yes, is in fact white.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the response, as you can imagine online and on social media, was swift. The day after the comments became public, a statement was issued on Janet Jackson's behalf by someone claiming to be her manager, and in that statement, Jackson supposedly expressed her respect for VP Harris and apologized for her comments.
Speaker 2: But however, turns out that was not true as well, because reps for Jackson tot Variety Magazine the person who issued that apology is not connected to Janet Jackson at all, and he's gone on to say that he's now been fired from Janet Jackson. So a lot of confusion surrounding not just what she said, why she said it, but whether or not she apologized and who claimed she did for the record though, to set this trait for everyone listening, Kamala Harris's dad is from Jamaica, he is black and her mom is from India.
Speaker 1: That won't be the last time that has to be uttered during this campaign cycle, unfortunately, but that continues to be as story for reason. We're gonna head now on our morning Ron too. Actress Cheryl Hines, spotted without her wedding ring at a fashion week event in Milan, also posted several pictures of her without her husband, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, for her fifty ninth birthday over the weekend. And this course comes as reports ropes that her husband RFK Junior had a personal relationship with a campaign reporter that did a piece on him.
Speaker 2: That's right, and that reporter has since been placed on leave from New York Magazine for what her boss said was quote potentially damaging reader's trust. The thirty one year old reporter did release a statement. She acknowledged that yes, she had a personal relationship, seemingly in texts with RFK Junior, but she denied that that relationship ever turned physical.
Speaker 1: Heines, meanwhile, has not made any official comment, but just last month put out a glowing Instagram post for their tenure wedding anniversary. This controversy comes, as I guess, the late controversy for RFK Junior. Last week, federal law enforcement agency, the National Marine Fisheries Service, opened an official investigation. Yeah, get this, and to him reportedly cutting off the head of a dead whale and taking it home two decades ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, his daughter shared that story, and now and he confirmed it, and now it's become an investigation. Speaking of sharing stories, we may all remember that RFK Junior recently shared a story about dumping a bear cub carcass in Central Park a decade ago. It was a big mystery here in New York City that now perhaps was solved after RFK Junior admitted that yes, he in fact was the person who did that. And then, of course, he raised many eyebrows during the pandemic for his controversial stance on the COVID vaccine, RFK Junior claiming that the coronavirus vaccines were developed to control people via microchips.
Speaker 1: He has, as you probably know by now, dropped out of the presidential race. Did that in August and currently on the campaign trail for Donald Trump. Well, continuing on our morning run. Here in just a moment, Stay with Us, Elon Musk is being called all kinds of names, very offensive stuff by some folks behind a very offensive game. Stay with Us.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. Our run continues this morning with a major lawsuit. Cards against Humanity says Elon Musk completely effed up their land and they're now taking the billionaire and his company to court. The makers of the adult party game loved by so many, especially perhaps this reporter, file a lawsuit against Musk's company's SpaceX, and wants fifteen million dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's make sense of this. Cards against Humanity is based in Chicago, but they bought a piece of land in Texas in twenty seventeen is part of an effort and I guess kind of a stunt to block Trump's potential border wall from being built. The company said a crowd sourced the funding for that project and that the land has been maintained in its natural state, but claims for the past six months, SpaceX has been using the land without permission.
Speaker 2: Wow. So in a statement, they called Elon Musk a racist billionaire who snuck up on us from behind and completely eft that land with gravel tractors and space garbage. Cards Against Humanity says it would take the fifteen million dollars and disperse it to the original donors who helped purchase the land.
Speaker 1: Okay, they have been politically active. If you played the game, they are offensive and they don't mind it. It is their thing. This is somewhat of a stunt, but it's they say, it is real that SpaceX, which is down there operating in Texas, has essentially been using their empty land as their own little backyard to a certain degree.
Speaker 2: And oh the irony, just the fact that Elon Musk obviously has been campaigning on behalf of president former President Trump, and then you have Cards against Humanity also politically motivated as well. So well, this is just a bit of a mess.
Speaker 1: That's funny. In their quote, they went hard after him, and they're saying that just the idea of us being associated with Elon Musk is very offensive and harmful to us and our supporters.
Speaker 2: Speaking of offense, which is literally what they deal in. They love to offend.
Speaker 1: I haven't played it yet, we're looking forward to it. We want to keep on running here because Caitlin Clark just keeps on meeting expectations. She just had a record setting and now award winning rookie season in the w NBA. She was the unanimous pick for the Associated Press WNBA Rookie of the Year. She came into the league with more hype and attention than any WNBA player ever probably, and she set a new record for assists in a season, record for points in a season by a rookie. She was the first rookie to ever record a triple double. She led her team, the Indiana Fever, to their first playoff appearance sixteen twenty seventeen somewhere in there. So she has delivered.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember starting to watch the WNBA with you, and you just kept telling them you have to see this girl play. You have to see this woman play. And when we were watching all of the collegiate the women collegiate players, and certainly I was blown away. And I'm not somebody who even knows perhaps what is excellent in basketball, but she certainly shows everyone what that word means.
Speaker 1: And that's you know what. That's great. You make a great point. This is what they've been doing now, they invest in the players. You get someone like you who doesn't even watch women's basketball regularly. There's a star you want to see. It makes you turn on the TV. And they've had record attendance. They have had a record viewership this year, and Caitlyn Clark Angel reeves, a lot of these young players have been a big part of that. Asia Wilson here, we want to talk about it as well, because she was the unanimous pick for Associated Press WNBA Player of the Year. And I know you saw her a lot because we watched a lot of Olympics and she dominated for the women.
Speaker 2: Any your excitement watching these women play actually gave me excitement to see how incredible they are. And yes, Wilson helped the Las Vegas Aces to a couple of championships, became the first player in WNBA history to score a thousand points in one season. So just some incredible women celebrated as they should be.
Speaker 1: Caitlin Clark was in college six months ago, eight six months.
Speaker 2: Ago on a commercial we see on television, So good for her.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you know what you take this next line because you wrote it in there. You knew it wasn't There's a.
Speaker 2: Couple lines that I knew you wouldn't say so I tried to actually give you the easier one because I know you're not going to say this other one. All right, our morning run continues with it's fall, y'all. That's what TEJ didn't want to say. Officially the first day of fall. Today, we said is the first full day, but the Autumn Equedox actually happened at eight forty four am yesterday, September twenty second. It is just one of two days in the year where the sun is directly above the equator, dividing night and day into equal portions. The other time of the year is the vernal or spring equinox. And see, I was trying to avoid you having to say this next line, TJ.
Speaker 1: Wait what we're ah, man, come on.
Speaker 2: You can say and I'll just add my little Okay.
Speaker 1: So here we go, folks. Bring on the changing.
Speaker 2: Leaves, the sweat of weather.
Speaker 1: The pumpkin flavored everything in college football Saturdays. Remember though, from now Unzoo the winter solstice on December twenty first, the days will shorten, the nights will get longer, and in just a few weeks November third, we turned back our clocks and gain an hour of extra sleep. Did this throw people off. I think people thought, okay, fall this company. They thought they were supposed to change their clocks.
Speaker 2: Yes, we get now, it's always the first Saturday in November or East. At least recently that's been the case. And I always know this because that is when the New York City Marathon is. And so that's one of the little gifts that we get when we run the New New York City Marathon that we get an extra hour of sleep the night before. So, yes, that is when we turn back our clocks. Yes, we get that extra hour. The trade off, in my opinion, is terrible because we then get months of darker afternoons. Wah wah. So enjoy the daylight while you cant everyone.
Speaker 1: So you want to end on that dark note.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, it's just to remind everyone to take advantage of the daylight that we do have.
Speaker 1: Well there it is that we want to end our run today on what has been a really good run at the box office. Beal Juice Beelejuice tight race to number one at the box office over the weekend. It went down to the final million, with Yes, the Beal Juice sequel taking the top spot at the box office. This is a rare, rare feat for a movie to have three straight weekends at number one in the box office, especially when they were being taken on by such a major, major player like Transformers one that just came out over the weekend that they ended up with twenty five million compared to beatle Juws's twenty six million, So this was an upset that few people saw coming. And beatle Juws is doing Gangbusters. Robes has three hundred and thirty million dollars worldwide tonight.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. And this is all a sequel, as you mentioned, a Tim Burton sequel, not just any old sequel to his nineteen eighty eight movie that was so beloved, and it's so cool. You love to see Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Michael Keaton all reprising their roles. Very cool that they all came along to do this once again. And of course we got to see we loved Jenna Ortega she stars in the movie as well. And just mentioning we told you the first and second on the list today in the box office, the third place went to the movie that I am dying to see that I have been trying to wrangle you to the movie theater to go see Speak No Evil starring James McAvoy. Yes, a horror movie that looks so incredible came in at five point nine million in its second week for a total of twenty one point five million. Not too shabby for a horror flick like that. So I'm excited about fitting that into our schedule this week.
Speaker 1: Babef it's only been the schedule, dear lady. Has nothing to do with you. It has nothing to do with me not going to take you on a movie night. But we busy, So folks, we hope you have a good and busy and productive and wonderful start to your fall on this first full day of fall. We appreciate you going on the run with us. We'll see you back tomorrow.