Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters.
Speaker 4: At the Star in Frisco, Tech Burgers.
Speaker 1: Here Pascot tistdown.
Speaker 2: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Hey their Cowboys Nation. The Cowboys fall to the Los Angeles Chargers thirty four No Good, thirty four to seventeen, the final score from AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: Welcome into Talking Cowboys. It is a holiday week, so we're gonna try our best to cheer you up. Now we're not We're not gonna try and cheer you up. We're gonna just talk.
Speaker 3: About what happened over the course of that football game.
Speaker 5: In Week sixteen, the Cowboys fall to six eight and one.
Speaker 3: This music is very kind to sitting sending to what the tone should be for this show for Patrick No C Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yellmans.
Speaker 5: Welcome into Talking Cowboys, presented.
Speaker 3: By Live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC studios. Yeah, not the game that the Cowboys certainly wanted. Of course, in between the time of our final show on Say It with You Chest Friday into this Monday, it ends up being an elimination for the Cowboys as well as the Eagles.
Speaker 5: Garnet took down the Commanders. It was a part of what we anticipated.
Speaker 3: However, Yeah, it's now official, and it became even more official whenever they.
Speaker 5: Lost later on. So there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: A lot of disappointment I think around the twenty twenty five season when it comes to the Cowboys and the talent and.
Speaker 5: How they were, they were, how they played yesterday.
Speaker 3: But I'll start with you Patrick, you were in the building, your thoughts on how it went down against the Chargers.
Speaker 6: Once again, the Cowboys are the g RG, the get right game, that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: So we said it last week.
Speaker 6: Josh pointed it out as a contrary point to yours, Kyle, when you were just thrown out the stats, saying that the offensive line for the Los Angeles Chargers basically were one of the worst in the league as far as allowing pressure on.
Speaker 7: Injuries on the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, and your.
Speaker 6: Counterpoint was that, well, the Cowboys can't get after the up to the quarterback, So which one of these things is going to out bad the other thing? And I said on Friday, I think the Cowboys' lack of pass of rushability is going to make it a watch and I think that Justin Herbert is going to stay clean for a good bit of the game. Well, Justin Herbert was not sacked for the first time this entire season. Cowboys did not sack Justin Herbert a single time. He had his way back there. He was back there playing Madden basically, and from there so the game went. Cowboys these last two weeks have figured out the inability to have a fast start offensively. They figured that out, but now they're having slow finishes. Peanut butter, no jellymn Ham, no burd It seems like that's the theme with this Cowboys team this season. Something goes right and then something else is going wrong to wash it out. And that's what happened again on yesterday. Shouts out to you know that Dyke tried to push through. George Pickens had a big game, Ceedee Lamb crossed the thousand yard threshold for a fifth consecutive season despite having missed several games, so you know, there was some bright spots. Yafonte, he did what he could. Ryan Flanoy, I'm waiting for an update on him with the knee injury. Just kind of quick news. And note Ryan Flinoy with a knee and the Marvin Overshowing concussion. I don't expect either of them to play on Christmas Day. Just put that out there right now. But for the most part, I mean, the defense was getting gashed as they normally have been those three games, notwithstanding coming out of the boweek and it was a lot of the same old, same olde which is a team comes in and whatever they're bad at they suddenly become really good at.
Speaker 7: But I was told that having Matt Eberflus up in the booth to call the game defensively would improve. I mean, it was just an idea to improve. This is something that they came up with, the brain trust that the Dallas Cowboys came up with. Over the last week. I did not see any indication of a change on defense. Obviously, this looked to be like one of the worst performances that I've seen from the Dallas Cowboys defense. But yet again, like we were just talking about the Dallas Cowboys defense just can't get right. That's their nickname the season. In another situation where the offense has to play a perfect game in order to to keep you in the conversation. In the game period did in.
Speaker 5: The first half for the most part, it.
Speaker 7: Looked good, and then an unfortunate holding call, which was kind of iffy on my part, permitted Ryan Filoy's second touchdown of the game.
Speaker 1: It was tiki tech, but it was the right call. I hate to him.
Speaker 7: I disagree Patrick.
Speaker 1: You can't hold they and turn him.
Speaker 6: I mean, and if you let that go a split second sooner, then you probably don't get the flag. And also if you don't hold him at all, it doesn't affect the play if you look at the time and of the throw so.
Speaker 3: Well, and Isaiah said in real time, he said, Dak didn't necessarily help out there because he went into the pressure. Not that Dak knows, but he went into the pressure and then allowed for Khalil Mactain.
Speaker 1: It was Tiki tech, but it was not a bad call.
Speaker 7: I really don't want to I mean, granted that the Chargers defense buckled up in the second half and we were able to hold the Cowboys from doing anything offensively and had them in a lot of fourth down situations which Cowboys did not convert on. There was just some looks there that the offense was not necessarily getting right. But more so than not, the fact that you weren't able to generate any pressure against that offensive line, the Dallas Cowboys, I mean against the Chargers offensive line. It's just to me, it just is more of the same. And talked about him going up to the booth and how that might change things, a better look, a better view, and being able to make better adjustments during the game. You simply didn't see it. It was just more of the same.
Speaker 1: Their offense scoring against our defense six of eight times.
Speaker 7: Easily, six scoring drives of eight.
Speaker 8: Drives, eight total possessions.
Speaker 7: Wow, that seems like a lot, Isaiah.
Speaker 1: It's not a good percentage. But second half the Cowboys do we know it. But the first half was good. Second half the Cowboys possessions. But turtle run downs, turnle run downs, fumble.
Speaker 7: That doesn't seem good either, GB not good.
Speaker 9: Bum.
Speaker 1: You couldn't do anything offensively. You had a good start offensively, you had a good start defensively, it wasn't wasn't great at all. Obviously it was not all just Eberflus. I know, I know he's getting torch right now, and statistically for the last fifteen games, it shows that he should be getting torch. But it's not just him, it's not just Flus. There were times where he got out schemed. There was times where he called man and we got beat Yep. Yeah, I don't know what it is. So, I mean, I understand he's the representative and responsible for all those guys on that side of the ball, but guys still have a job to do, so I don't want him to be the only scapegoat. Guys need to be held accountable to not handling their assignments as well. So just bad man, bad And in terms of the running game, I don't know why we are just not committing to that portion.
Speaker 8: Is frustrated me.
Speaker 1: Over the last probably five games now, they just have not whatever reason. They just said, all right, do you want to tell you? Yeah, we know you were top five for a while, but we're gonna throw this thing around. Yeah. And it wasn't like they weren't getting stopped on the run. They just stopped giving it to him. Yeah, so I don't know. It's frustrating, And I mentioned Kyle and the rest of the crew. You're going to be frustrated when you have expectations that are aren't met. And I didn't expect the Cowboys to win in this game. I just think that against larger, more physical teams, we just don't do well. So I did not have an expectation of a victory, but I expected a more competitive battle.
Speaker 6: And yeah, Shunnon Hummer's not off the hook on this one either. They got off to a fast start, which was great. Unfortunately you had like the holding penalty which ended up negating would have been Flinnoy's second touchdown. So for the most part, first couple of offensive drives, holding penalty notwithstanding, those guys were cooking. But then came it slowed down and in the second half it was just like a few of those calls, example being like fourth and inches while you did it off the Hunter lip key in that situation, Kyle tweeted, and I jumped right on that tweet. You're like, might as well QB sneaky in that might as well might as well as opposed to handing it back three or four yards to get three inches.
Speaker 1: I'll never understand, that says.
Speaker 6: But then there was another particular drive where you had two errant passes from Dak Prescott, which it looks like it was a miscommunication between him and the receiver. One went sailing way downfield down the right scene and the other was, yeah, I think it was too turping stopped. Yeah, that's what I mean, like there was a miscommunication there, a.
Speaker 8: Miscommunication turban Stock. He just didn't run roun.
Speaker 1: He just stopped running his route because Dak Prescott from again not understanding, not knowing, I this is me just speculating, Yeah, not knowing what throughout what that was called. But it looks as if he was responsible for taking the middle of the field open terp. It happens at times where receivers running their route and they're like, ah, I can't get past this guy, right.
Speaker 8: So they just throttle down.
Speaker 7: He's not throwing me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not throwing it to me, right because there's a guy right here. He's not throwing it to me. I'm gonna shut my route down right now. Dak was like, you're cavarante freaking turpin. Yeah, get past this guy, Okay, so that from what I perceived, that was the miscommunication, Like, hey, bro, why are you stopping like you're one of the fastest cats in the league, don't stop running.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that would track because in real time it was such such a broken play that you would think that Dak was assuming this route will be ran and the player did not run the route, which is basically what you're saying. But you're saying it wasn't because you don't believe it was because Cavante Turpin thought he was supposed to run and out. It was because Cavante Turpin. It's not coming to me. I'm shutting up, yep, which is horrible. But yeah, so the offense is not not excused from the loss at all when you only get seventeen points but fast start, slow finish, and the Cowboys defense just did what we felt the Cowboys defense was due.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, yeh, you're as the offense, you're not excused from seventeen points, especially when all seventeen come in the first half and.
Speaker 5: You didn't get exact the second half.
Speaker 3: So, and we talked about this numerous times on the show, is this is the twenty twenty five Dallas Cowboys when we look back on this season and remember how this unfolded, and what will stick out it's the fact that the offense had to be perfect, And to expect an offense to be perfect in the National Football League in twenty twenty five is unrealistic.
Speaker 5: But they've had to be perfect, and they almost were in the first half.
Speaker 3: They scored on all three of their full possessions in the first half, except the only exception of the difference between the crazy fast start that the Chargers had and then the Cowboys offense had was the fact that they had a holding call and the field goal.
Speaker 5: That's the only difference in the entire first half.
Speaker 3: Touch a bunch, but you can't expect that to happen over four quarters. And when you're talking about consistency, you're talking about complimentary football, which I know fans get tired.
Speaker 5: Of hearing, but it's so true.
Speaker 7: It's what good teams do.
Speaker 3: That's what good teams do. I mean, look at what happened last night the Patriots. The Patriots, even when they were down, they had a special teams play then followed by a defensive play. Then the offense picked it up and Stephan Diggs had one hundred and thirty five hours. There's a reason why they're twelve and four. I mean, that's a part of this game right now is you have to have all three phases, and the Cowboys, for lack of a better term, don't have two of them. They don't have two of those phases playing at a high level right now, defense and special teams. I'll still contend even with the seventeen points on the board. I think the offense was fine except for the run game. I do agree with you there, and I think they went away a long run and they fell off, and I think part of that is they felt pressure, then they fell back into a corner. And whenever they fill backed into the corner, the default for Brian Schottenheimer as a play caller is throw the pill, throw it around. And that's where I feel like yesterday came into fruition. It looked like a team that had nothing to play for. It looked like a team that had been eliminated from playoff contention, which is something I did not expect. Even if you were eliminated going into that game as the Dallas Cowboys, I still expected to see fight, and you saw it in sporadic points.
Speaker 8: I think you saw it for a half.
Speaker 3: It maybe for the half. I would contend that maybe from the offense subside for a half.
Speaker 7: But to kind of contend or just to compliment what you're saying about a team that is more physical than you, the Dallas Cowboys sort of gave up in that aspect. They warned that they were worn down. I don't want to say they gave up, but they were worn down. How physical the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Were, Well, it's and you make a point, and a good point.
Speaker 6: They did look like, for the most part, a team that had nothing to play for, unfortunately. But what makes that even more disconcerting is they're in this position because they had the same energy in Detroit against the Lions. When they had an opportunity to continue to apply pressure to the Philadelphia Eagles and really push this thing down to the wire, you showed up and basically laid down.
Speaker 1: So's it literally, like I hate to say that because I know it sounds terrible, but it has been consistent, not just this year, It's been consistent.
Speaker 7: That's our identity is it really has been.
Speaker 1: It really has been based upon the personnel that you have when you play team that's about that life and they're bigger than you, right, and they and they're willing to go toe to toe in the box all day long.
Speaker 8: You struggle.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to I want to do a little social experiment here off of that. Out of the losses for the Cowboys this year, was this a more physical football team than the Cowboys? Not necessarily in the game, but just think about the roster, right, Eagles, Yes, yeah for the most part. Yes, the first game, the Bears, yes, yes, this year. Absolutely, Panthers, Yes, they did that day.
Speaker 5: They were definitely that day. The Broncos.
Speaker 7: They didn't buckle up that game.
Speaker 8: Broncos, absolutely, absolutely the Broncos.
Speaker 3: The one I could probably contend would probably be the Cardinals, like they just aren't that good.
Speaker 5: They just kind of got you that day. Lions, Vikings they.
Speaker 7: Fitted off the line though the Cardinals did.
Speaker 1: Lions, Yeah, yes, Vikings, Yes, floor is.
Speaker 3: And I think the final three games you've been out physical by that football team.
Speaker 5: And it takes me back to what year.
Speaker 3: Was that twenty twenty two when Dallas maybe twenty one going into twenty two, Dallas felt like they got punked by San Francisco in that first playoff game and they got out physical by San Francisco Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 5: And what did they do that offseason? They said, we're gonna revamp.
Speaker 3: How tough we are up front and their first round pick was Tyler Smith and that was a check the box. You got that one, right, So is that going to be the mantra this year.
Speaker 5: You've got some speed, you've got some skill, You've got some talent.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to retain a couple of guys that are in contract years. But for the most part, if you're going to attack something, you need to attack your physicality as a team because you just don't have that.
Speaker 7: Oh, you have so much finesse, you have the skill players that are in sight. I mean, you have a bowl of lucky charms without any milk to speak of, you know what I mean. You gotta pour water in there like it's just it's flashy, but it's not. There's no depth, there's nothing behind it.
Speaker 6: I think the problem is is that you don't have the physicality at every position. So you brought in Kenny Clark, super physical monster of a man. You go and trade for Quinn Williams, superphysical monster of a man. So your defensive interior monster of a man. Physical your edges Nope, okay, and it's not even the notck to a guy like Easy.
Speaker 1: Easy is more of a finess guy.
Speaker 6: Like I said, they're trying to like said, they're trying to fit him as a demarkets Horns, but that he's not.
Speaker 8: In their mind. And this is my thought.
Speaker 1: I think that they believe that Sam Williams is going to be that guy for them. They did think so, they did.
Speaker 7: Maybe they thought about one thought.
Speaker 1: They thought so because he has that he has that mentality. Yeah, it's just just doesn't right.
Speaker 6: So defensive interior, check and check super physical.
Speaker 1: Great, that's all for now. In the future, your edges not so much.
Speaker 6: Linebackers Nope, you don't have physicality at the linebacker court at all.
Speaker 1: Cornerbacks nope. I'll say ready, ready, ready, safety ready playing out position. And then speaking of your safeties, you got Donald. He's physical, but he's always been asked to do what her cover. He's asked to do, but it's not his strong point.
Speaker 6: So from a defensive side of the ball, the only physicality that you have that can out muscle an opposing team is your defensive interior.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 6: Your defensive line or defensive tackles. I should say, offensively speaking, you got to figure out your offensive line. You got to figure it out. You got Tyler Smith check that box. Outside of Tyler Booker, yeah, I like what you got too, super physical interior linemen. We'll see if BB can take the next thing, we'll see. But the two Tyler's Booker and Smith. Yes, outside of that, you don't see that from Terrence. Still on the consistent basis Tyler get needs to remain on the field. Nate Thomas and not having a good show in Cooper BB.
Speaker 1: We'll see. But my point being, they have too many spots.
Speaker 6: Where that we got dogs, horses that will punch you in the mouth. It's not enough of that at certain positions. And until you figure that out, you're gonna keep getting off.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's because of the culture that they're trying to create here?
Speaker 8: Explain the locker room culture.
Speaker 1: Oftentimes when coaches and organizations are trying to get a.
Speaker 8: Team that is it's the best way of saying that some.
Speaker 1: You need, some goons, you need some guys that you need some guys that are like on the edge. You got to reel them in a little bit like maybe they don't necessarily always maybe they don't always.
Speaker 8: Fall on line right, Like every team needs those guys. Receiver you want to go, yeah, you got one a receiver.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying so, I wonder this is not an indictment on their actual physical being, but the mentality of the players that they're acquiring. Maybe they need to get some more edgy players because at the end of the day, physicality, a lot of it is mentality, the facts, absolute fact.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna end that segment there because I completely agree with you, and I think there's a lot of that going forward. There's a lot of blame being thrown around. It could go one way or the other, but I think everybody in the building has something to do with how this season, at different points in time, has come down to what it is now. And you're two games under five hundred, you're out of playoff picture, entirely, completely eliminated from contention with three games to go. There's a lot while you were going, I know, but you were out into your third game generally. So with all that being said, there's not just one person or one specific area that needs to have the blame. It's an organizational type of failure.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty, wee all underachieved.
Speaker 3: That's exactly how it goes, all right, when we come back, I want to talk about the defensive side of the ball. You guys mentioned a couple different pieces there. Where do you start from what you saw yesterday? Because this is an evaluation time.
Speaker 5: For the Dallas Cowboys. Where do you start?
Speaker 3: Because there are multiple spots to try and up in going into the off season, more talking Cowboys coming up after this.
Speaker 4: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 3: We're with you.
Speaker 4: That's our promise to you because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 1: Where with you?
Speaker 5: Where are United Cowboys Vans? We've got big news.
Speaker 3: Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven to eleven stores and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating location. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine. Veteran crafted flavor and the clean energy you need to power through those laws. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven to eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee, America's coffee.
Speaker 1: How's it going you see that Cowboys game? Oh?
Speaker 8: I watched.
Speaker 1: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent.
Speaker 6: You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping this is the year me too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm Cody.
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 6: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 7: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 9: Bank of America the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys, Copyright twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Bank of America Corporation, at.
Speaker 7: AT and T.
Speaker 9: We guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken wings.
Speaker 1: And I can't believe we're staging a comeback.
Speaker 7: Staying connected matters.
Speaker 9: That's why, in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a built credit for a full day service for while it was downtown, lasting sixt minutes and more. Caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must be an ad to impact tow don't set about it restrictions and exclusion applying seet dot com slash guarantee for full details.
Speaker 5: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back, You're on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, where your Cowboys geared to a Black Rifle Coffee location. Get ten percent off your entire order at Black Rifle Coffee. I don't know if they're going to even open on Christmas. I feel like they're probably not on Thursdays, so you might only have, yeah, check their hours. You might only have one more shot to do that. Oh at the end of the year.
Speaker 8: I don't I don't like those words.
Speaker 3: One more opportunity on a Cowboys game day to go get ten percent off your entire order. All right, back here on Talking Cowboys. I saw a stat yesterday that.
Speaker 5: I think sums up kind of what we were talking about in the first segment there.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys have a four thousand yard passer yep two one thousand yard receivers Seedie Lamb and George Pickens and the one thousand yard rusher and Javonte Williams, and yet they were eliminated from playoff contention with three games to go.
Speaker 5: So all of that to be said, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've got to point to the defense. And everybody knows this. Everybody's watched this. If you've even listened to a smidgeon of talking Cowboys over the course of the season, you would know the defense has been abysmal.
Speaker 5: At different times, I thought he was gonna do it. You want it today?
Speaker 7: The defenserash.
Speaker 5: So I'm not as good at it. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Where do you start when we go into this offseason. We just talked about physicality, and I think that's that's a number one trait that you need. But I'm thinking more position groups here.
Speaker 5: Do you start in the secondary? Do you start in the passer? Uh, You've already revamped the interior, so I think you're set moving forward, unless do you want another dtackle Isaiah?
Speaker 8: Nope?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, so I got that out of the way.
Speaker 1: Now he's got three. I got two monsters making before. Yes, Sally's under contract next year too.
Speaker 8: That's good.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen him recently, that's fair. But where do you start.
Speaker 6: I'm always going to be built front to back. You have your defensive tackle position solved. Solve your defensive end, I have to You have to get a pass rush. You have no choice because without the pass rush, just no.
Speaker 7: Just a question. If you're solving your defensive end, are you going to take a chance with one of your first round picks or are you going to attack free agency?
Speaker 1: I would like to attack free agency, but first I want to see who's available.
Speaker 3: Of course, yeah, right, and we can talk about there's one name that is going to be available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't say, and you can't say yeah.
Speaker 3: But she's under contract this year and there was interest in him going into the trade deadline in this franchise.
Speaker 6: And I would say, even if you acquire that individual, you still attack it in the draft. You got two first round picks. So for me, my two first round picks are going to be on the defensive side of the ball. One is going to be defensive end, the other is going to be linebacker.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel about it. Again, I'm building front to back.
Speaker 6: The marioon overshowing his back he's your centerpiece at the linebacker position. But you don't know if they're going to stick stick with theebrafluse. If they do stick with ebraflues, that's probably going to keep Marris Leafile still clamped.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: What does that mean for Lamar James? He's going to be more unleash. Does he take the step forward?
Speaker 1: Things like that?
Speaker 6: So the only player in the linebacker you that I'm confident with going forward and you still have to put an asterisk on that because he has to remain available, which is the Marion overshown. So I'm not overlooking linebacker. And I think Kyle, you posed this question a few weeks ago, two or three weeks ago, saying which positions do we want to address in the draft with the two first round Yeah, that was after the Mini buy. Yeah, defensive end and linebacker. Those are my two first round picks, regardless of what I do in free agency. But also, go get something in free agency? Where are you getting a corner from? So no, no, no, no, I get what he's saying, because the first thing popped in my mind. The first thing popped in my mind was Okay, well you need a corner. Yeah, but you know, what helps corners I cover. I don't disagree, however, is Sacks and Agreeb's running.
Speaker 1: For them for the.
Speaker 8: Who are your starting quarters next year?
Speaker 1: Oh know, you got to figure that out. I'm not saying you have an answer.
Speaker 8: They don't even have one person.
Speaker 1: They don't don't have an answer. There's gonna be healthy Trayvon Diggs most likely won't be here, right you know who's your starters where they're gonna look, They're gonna look at some not like we haven't physical but he hasn't had a full off season.
Speaker 8: That's not And I'm just going off for what I can say right now.
Speaker 1: You're right, I don't have confidence in mind that he's going to be a starter yet, but you have to hope that he gets.
Speaker 8: The answer, gets back to what he was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get what you're saying, but the answer to your question has to also be answered through the perf of upstairs. So it's it's less about well, what would no Seed do? Okay, I know what No he would do? But I'm telling you that they're going to look at it as if one revel as a starter. Ron Black darn Bland is going to be back healthy.
Speaker 1: He is Black is going to be back healthy, and then you kind of go from there. So you're not wrong.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't even have to say it, but I'll say it anyway. You are in dire straits at cornerback, but you're also in dire straits at input.
Speaker 7: You could argue every position aside from but.
Speaker 6: If you if you build backwards to forward, you're still not pressuring the quarterback. You're still not getting linebackers who can have run fit correct run fits, so you're giving up yards on the ground as well. So then it's like, yeah, the corners are covering, but the windows are expanded and now they have to help and run support.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with you, but then I go from your point. Then I say what positions are harder to acquire?
Speaker 7: Corner corner so like. But but then again, I wouldn't be sold on a from linebacker because I don't know. I don't know that I trust his team's evaluation of linebackers in the draft, and I think, granted you you you got overshown, Granted you have overshown, but there I mean, still, even when he has been out there over the last few weeks healthy, it hasn't been so excellent.
Speaker 6: Let's say this counterpoint to that is they actually scout linebackers really well and on day one and like day two, but they have their snake bit right, so it's the availability issue. So Leighton vandersh was a hit coming right out right, Sean Lee was a hit for a good bit of his career, but injury, so they can hit on an off ball linebacker.
Speaker 1: They drafted Michael so we're and ma right, and and to Mario on overshowing.
Speaker 6: So as far as scouting the ability of an off ball linebacker, they're actually really damn good at that. But they tend to be snake bitting and getting these extremely talented linebackers that then have availability issues.
Speaker 7: But isn't that part of evaluation, I think making sure these players are you can't available.
Speaker 6: The only one that was predictable, I hate to say it that way, but the only one that had the red flags that were inexcusable was l.
Speaker 1: V E and Smith Jalus Smith. Yeah, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 6: They did get him back on the field, but so for the most part, and I won't excuse that because you know, lvy E had nick issues coming out of Boise State.
Speaker 1: You were the you know, the the medical team that injuries coming in. Yeah, so those two had those two issues coming in, and the moon Clark had issues coming in.
Speaker 3: Overshown had some injury flags at Texas too, did he Yeah.
Speaker 5: To the extent that you would think, because you can't predict, he definitely had some stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. His is just a team is more. And I look at it from this perspective. If I don't, if I can't grab it in the draft, can I grab it in free agency? Or can I trade for it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Teams are less willing to trade really good corners. Yes, you're just not getting rid of them.
Speaker 7: Right, I think when you but if you are, you're paying a really high price.
Speaker 8: Oh he goes quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive in freaking corner.
Speaker 5: Look at the price that the Colts paid for Sas Gardner.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean not that Dallas would do anything like that to go get a corner, but just look at the price tag because even a step below that is still going to cost you. And I think if you're going to draft a linebacker, it's got to be a dude that you expect to be a two names part of your team for ten years. One of them Jacob Rodriguez at Texas Tech.
Speaker 6: Three names, Okay, okay, so you got you got one, Sonny one, and ce J Allen is the other. Those are three guys that I would use a first round pick on. And I think because you have two first round picks and I've seen you have success in hell cornerback. All right, let's talk about cornerback before the latest Tradlon. Let's not have recency bias. So we know everything's going on with Trevlon Diggs. He's not been playing up to the level, injury, etcetera, etcetera. But isn't he a second round pick? So I say that to say you would like to believe that you could find all these a lottery picks. You never know, But if you found Trevon Diggs in the second round, then you can find another Trayvon.
Speaker 5: You don't have a second round pick, That's right, you don't. That's what I'm saying you. You don't have any room to operate when it comes to your first two round picks. That's great. I love the fact that they have two first round picks, but you don't have a second.
Speaker 7: But they have to hit, and you got you gotta hit both of them. Both of them have to be both have to be Day one.
Speaker 6: Start off, las your remind of me, we don't have a second round pick, So get a second round pick.
Speaker 5: How would you do it?
Speaker 6: Package something? You're going to get some does it look like right now in terms of where you're gonna get. You're gonna get some compicks that you can package. You take those and maybe you're throwing something from twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Your comp picks aren't gonna get your back in.
Speaker 1: No, no second package package.
Speaker 5: Who are you packaging?
Speaker 1: Who? I didn't say who? I'm just who are you thinking about?
Speaker 3: That's what it's going to take. You don't have the draft capital said no, you can draft. You can go back if you wanted to trade your first round one of your two first rounds to go back.
Speaker 1: Pull from the future is what I'm saying. Pull from the future.
Speaker 3: Right now, the Cowboys are sitting at thirteenth overall with their pick, and then green Bay with their most recent loss. They are projected to link in the wild wild card round. They would be twenty.
Speaker 1: One thirteen to twenty one thirteen in projection.
Speaker 3: Projection because green Bay is going to make the playoffs more than likely and if they make the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Where they end up is going to determine.
Speaker 1: How you're and I'm.
Speaker 6: I would not be upset at one of those picks being in cornerback. Let me be clear, I would not be upset at it. But if you ask me to choose, I need a pass rush, especially somebody opposite as Roku.
Speaker 3: You also don't have a third round pick, by the way, I forgot to say, yeah, no, day two picks periods good.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a long day for us in the studio.
Speaker 1: Unless you start from twenty seven to twenty eight.
Speaker 6: But I need somebody to complement Ezraku so that you can take Zraku out of that DeMarcus Lawrence fit and get him back to a DeMarcus where and I need I need linebacker core solved, and then you know, look at the cornerbacks.
Speaker 1: But I just I can't build front to back. I can't.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm back to front. I can't build front the back. My brain just doesn't. My football brain doesn't work that way.
Speaker 7: But I mean, all of that being said, uh, what we've kind of speculated about too, is that you may have one of those picks go to another yet another offensive Lineman.
Speaker 1: Maybe, so we talked about that.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that when we come back. I want to go back to the offensive side, because of course they are not without blaming the thirty four to seventeen loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. What went wrong on the offensive side and why was it the offensive line? When we come back with more talking Cowboys right after.
Speaker 9: This at AT and T, we guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 8: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken.
Speaker 1: Wings, and I can't believe we're staging a comeback to stress.
Speaker 7: Staying connected matters.
Speaker 9: That's why in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day service for Wiles's Downtown lasting sixty minutes. And we're caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must be connected, tomact tower, don't set about it. Restrictions and exclusions applying se eet dot com slash guarantee for full details.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 10: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, the unique blend of its twenty three flavors together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 3: It's a pepper thing, Cowboys fans, We've got big news. Black Rifled Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating locations. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy Deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee, America's coffeet to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. This segment is brought to you by Invisila in the Official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys back with Patrick NOSEI Walker, josh Rod Regaez, h Isaiah stand Back, Chrispyam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. There's a lot of craziness in the chat today. I'm just kind of monitoring, just kind of no, no, it's fine. I think it's fine, and everybody's entitled to their own opinion. But I did see this really good question and it does play into what was going to go into this break, So I want to give credit where credit is due, Dalton asked. He said, do you believe Brian Schottenheimer has evolved as a play caller as.
Speaker 5: The season has gone on.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like he's evolved in his play calling, because, like we said, going into the break, got to talk about the offense. We'll get to the offensive line in a minute. But I just saw that question.
Speaker 5: I think it's too good to pass.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think he's evolved as a play caller. I think he is a really good coach. I think he's a good leader. But for me, time and time again, you've been in situations we just talked about at the top of the show where he's gotten away from the running game, which was kind of his mo from his coaching days previous to the Dallas Cowboys and then including last year, even though you know he said he was butting heads with McCarthy as far as running the ball. But you've seen it time and time again where they've kind of leaned back on the run game, which is unfortunate because the run game looks so good at times, there's just not a lot of balance there. And I've been very critical of red zone situations where he just leans on the passing game a little too much. And it just basically is, you know, it's not hard for the opposing defense to identify what Dallas is going to do in the red zone. If we know what they're going to do in the red zone, it's gonna be a play action pass and say you know, like you just know, yeah, it's gonna be a bootleg. You know exactly what he's gonna do. I feel like there's not a lot of I don't want to say lack of creativity. I don't think he's been put in situations enough to where he can get in a groove offensive.
Speaker 1: I have a theory. First of all, let me say this, shouts out to my niece Deem. She is watching.
Speaker 6: The kids are out of school right now, so the kids, my nieces and nephews, they don't.
Speaker 1: Often get to watch talking Cowboys cool.
Speaker 6: And my wife just told me that my niece dim is back in Atlanta watching the show. So it shouts out absolutely at now it's my Paddycake.
Speaker 1: I love my Patty Cake.
Speaker 8: But my theory is.
Speaker 6: Follow the chronology here. Okay, the Cowboy offense was high powered for several weeks. Yes, it was at a certain point when the defense. When they realized that the defense was just abysmal, one of the or the worst in the league.
Speaker 1: Say trash.
Speaker 6: That's when Brian Schottenheimer began spending more time with the defensive coordinator in meetings. Right, My theory is, and from that point forward the offense looked a bit disjointed over what it was weeks prior. My working theory is that once the offensive coordinator, who also wears the heat of head coach, had to then become the principal to what was going on in the back of the class, it took away from what happened with the offensive side. I say that to say, I wonder and something that we never have an answer.
Speaker 8: He was torn between being a head coach and the offense.
Speaker 6: I wonder if him being being forced to be the head coach as far as checking in constantly and having these extra meetings with their defensive coordinator to get that side of the ball correct, if it cost the explosiveness on the offensive side of the ball. So I agree, I don't think he evolved as a play caller, But I personally, I don't think he evolved as a play caller because he had to constantly keep going into the defensive coordinator's classroom and standing there, we all remember, we've all been in class before, and we've had some disruptive classes. Sometimes we've been the culprit of said disruptive class. And then you have like the vice principal or the principal don't mind me, Yeah, just come and stand at the door and just monetor it well while the.
Speaker 3: Pun announcement wanting to show presence, and while they're shore and while they're showing presence, that's taking away time from something else that they could and should be doing.
Speaker 7: Right, working theory, it is, and that's what happens when you're a head coach.
Speaker 6: So here's here's the thing though, Right, if you have a defensive coordinator that you can holly trust to handle everything, and your defense is playing as it should be playing, you don't need to go.
Speaker 1: In that room.
Speaker 6: You can continue to focus on the offensive side of the ball. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Well, you're the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. You're overseeing all things. Yep, maybe that's just a part of the gig.
Speaker 6: So you know, it is a luxury, but it's a part of the conversation that needs to be had on if you're going to move on from Mattiebraflues well, because if it's taking away from the evolution of the offense and now it's a double whammy.
Speaker 3: Two things there, one as a head coach, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this, Isaiah. If you're a head coach, you got to oversee everybody, which is why it's important to have solid coordinator hires. One of them has already been talked about in Matt Eberflus. At what point, I don't think you're talking about job security or anything with Clayton Adams, but one thing that he was brought in to do was to revamp your offensive line that hasn't necessarily played to fruition, mostly because of health or whatever you want I want to chalk it up to. At some point as the head coach, you need to have confidence and trust in your guys in Clayton Adams, Matt Eberflus, Nick Sorenson, and it doesn't feel like there's that cohesion that you anticipated going in.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 6: I would say this real quickly. I'm gonna throw but this real quick. Someone in chat said me saying, stating the obvious of him. Spending time on the defensive side of the ball is an excuse, No, it's not. If you're supposed to be cooking dinner and the kids are acting up in the background, and you constantly have to go checking on the kids, if that causes you to accidentally burn dinner, it's not an excuse, it's a reason. There's a difference between an excuse and a reason.
Speaker 8: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Uh, So, we had this discussion where we're talking about potential head coaches, and I personally I am not necessarily the biggest fan of coaches that are in charge of the offense or the defense. I come from the cloth where I believe that they should be fully aware and knowledgeable and maybe even capable of calling plays on either or side. But I don't think that they should be calling plays on that side.
Speaker 8: Reason.
Speaker 1: This is being an example as to why, because some of the more successful teams that I've personally been on, those coaches were.
Speaker 8: Leaders of men. That was their primary job.
Speaker 1: The head coach was the leader of men, capable of calling plays, but have somebody in position to call the place. Therefore, I can go to the offensive meeting rooms. I can go to the special teams meaning room, I can go to the defensive meeting rooms and I can. I can, I could, I could sit back and I could look, I can I can observe, and I can take notes, and I could be aware of the discussions that are taking place, so I don't have to go off of hearsay.
Speaker 8: When I'm in a position where I am.
Speaker 1: In charge of one unit, I have to now pull double duty and I cannot fully be invested in anything that's outside of the fact that I have to be responsible for calling plays. I don't know what you're talking about on the defensive side, Kyle, because I'm going off of what you're telling me, or I'm going off what the players are communicating to me.
Speaker 3: I don't truly need as many meetings and as many communications as you can have from one person to the next among the entire staff.
Speaker 5: It's still not going to be the same as you seeing it.
Speaker 7: Yourself, unless unless you have a defensive coordinator that you can trust wholeheart, agreed with one.
Speaker 8: Which is a luxury exactly. Which is a luxury, and it's not an expectation, it's a luxury.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, So I mean again, it is what it is, right, Shoty calls the plays offensively and he's a head coach. So yes, he got pulled away from I don't want to say got pulled away from it. He had the responsibility and it was necessary for him to start overseeing what was going on in those defensive meeting rooms because of the lack of productivity. Now, did it pull him away, Yeah, but that's what happens. There's only so much of a piece of a pie.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: You can't just have a whole pie on offense when you got somebody over here that to eat too, right, So I have to go spend some time over here, and that's going to take away from that exactly. But that doesn't to mean that still is not an excuse as to why this offense didn't that offense still stay the course, right, they put up numbers. Let's not let's not act like this we're disappointed, just talked about it thing these guys. Yes, let's not. Let's not act like these guys didn't do amazing things with shoddy even splitting duties that.
Speaker 7: They weren't perfect the entire sites.
Speaker 1: There's certain things that I'm sure that he's going to go back and evaluate and want to criticize and change about his play calling, the red zone, running the ball, the commitments are running the ball, you know, I'm I'm I am almost certain that he took it, takes it as a personal challenge that for two to three weeks George Piggins went away because of the double teams.
Speaker 8: Well, whose responsibility is that?
Speaker 1: As coaches responsibility don't allow him to be in a position where he can get double team So that's a challenge, right, And I believe that Coachhatti is of the mindset where he's going to go back be analytical about it. Watch his film, like dang, I have to be better here to make sure that my guys can't get double teamed.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the question was at the beginning of the segment, do you feel like he's evolved as a play call evolution?
Speaker 1: No, I think that he became more predictable as the year went on for what reason, I don't know. But again, I don't foresee him going back to back years with that same issue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think he's that type of coach where he will go back and be like, ah, I have to be better here because it's not the players. George didn't fall out, He didn't start dropping balls. CD dropped balls early on and he figured it out right. Jervonte Williams didn't start fumbling all of a sudden, right, It was just we didn't commit to the run and I allowed my guys to be double teamed.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we didn't come right on four down. Well, we've already talked to what was that.
Speaker 7: What's your thought on that. Did he evolve as a play caller?
Speaker 5: No, but I also don't know if it was entirely on him.
Speaker 3: We just talked about the way that the defense hindered some of that growth and how that happened, and then the offensive line too. There were times where I feel like Shody's play calling was conservative to protect himself from the offense of B line not playing well there, and there were times.
Speaker 8: Where you have to make adjustment. They had to.
Speaker 3: They were able to grip it and rip it early in the season because you were confident that the five guys up front were going to block for Dak Prescott long enough to where they could have a play develop and they could have the scheme start playing into it. So no, I don't think he did about or evolve. But I also think there were outside factors in this whole thing that contributed to that.
Speaker 8: But he was still dominant. Let's not.
Speaker 1: Let's not just because evolution means that your any question was he was still dominant. Yes, as a play caller.
Speaker 5: Let's give him one of the best offenses in football.
Speaker 8: One of the best offenses in football.
Speaker 1: But you can't have the disparity from being one of the best offenses in arguably the best the worst defense.
Speaker 3: That just means your men, Yeah, that's where they are. Two games under five hundred at this point. Appreciate you joining us. We will be back tomorrow our final.
Speaker 5: Show of the week. It is a holiday week.
Speaker 3: It's one of those weird ones where we're gonna have to say it with chess Tuesday tomorrow. We're gonna have some fun in this SWBC studio tomorrow, Patrick no Siwalkers.
Speaker 5: Josh Rodriguez. Maybe if that's what you're into.
Speaker 3: Isaiah's stand back Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman saying so long, We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.