Speaker 1: Let's get on Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 2: Matthew Stafford, Jules, what's the first thing you think of when you hear of Matthew Stafford. I can tell you this, I'll go first, first overall pick to the Detroit Lions, because that's when I started becoming a true NFL fan, was about two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, twenty ten. I was always an NFL fan, but I really got interested in and in everything that was going on with the draft because I wanted to get drafted and that was my ultimate goal. So then when I got to college, I started really particularly paying attention to the draft, and that was truly the first draft I truly paid attention to because why because I wanted to get drafted eventually. And number two, my brother was in this draft, like I said, and he got drafted to the Detroit Lions as well, the same year as Matthew Stafford, going number one overall, but my brother was a second seventh round pick. I think he was the second last pick overall as well in the draft mister Levana, mister irrelevant Eve.
Speaker 1: So it was close to being one of the last picks in the draft. But that's why I know about this guy.
Speaker 2: I've been following Matthew Stafford his awn entire career, and that's why the Detroit Lions first overall pick is what I first think of when I hear Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 1: How about you, Julian.
Speaker 3: I mean, a tale of two careers.
Speaker 4: He started his career in Detroit and his numbers were always gotty. He's always been able to sling it had Megatron, and then the crazy trade. After Goff leads the Rams to a super Bowl, they trade him for Stafford. Stafford comes in first year, wins the super Bowl, and he's been going to the playoffs ever since. I mean, it's it's been It's crazy to like really think about how big the ecosystem is for a guy at the position of quarterback, and you know, he's been a it's been a great comeback story. And it really wasn't a comeback story for playing well, but a comeback story for getting to experience winning. I mean, playing Detroit had to be tough. This is you know, I know for the young, young fans, everyone thinks Detroit's been good for these last couple of years, but you know, it's been a rough place historically, rough place to play, and for him to get to experience a lot of the success he's had has been really fun to watch.
Speaker 3: Actually got to throw with him once.
Speaker 1: What was that? Like?
Speaker 2: I remember you were talking about it because Matthew Stafford got brought up somehow when we were watching one of the games, and then I was just like, Jewels, you ever throw with him? Because I know he's been out here in LA a few times and you're always throwing with fifty different quarterbacks in the offseason when you were playing. I was like, Yo, you ever throw a Staffer? And You're like, yeah, So what was that?
Speaker 1: Like? Jules Dude?
Speaker 4: He he was one of the most impressive just natural throwers I've ever thrown with. And usually, you know, I'd go to Tom Houses and uh his little like camp. Tom would go and throw with him, and then when Tom would leave town, I would still want quarterback throws, so I'd go throw with a bunch of different pros that would be coming in town to work with them, and one day Stafford comes in. You know, you go out there and sometimes guys don't know your timing.
Speaker 3: You know, everything's timing routes.
Speaker 4: You know, you're big out, you're ten to twelve yard out, your five yard out, your your curls, your deep posts, your crosses, your seams post high seam, your middlefield open seam. So there's a lot of stuff going and sometimes you know, the timing can be off, so guys miss you here because they don't know how you break down your weight or this, that and the other routes on air. You know, with him, we I think we threw forty four balls and I think we went forty four for forty four. I mean, I don't think a ball touched the ground. Another guy that like, I was just super impressed with with throwing, Like that's what he was like always with, you know, Brady, because we knew each other, but you go with different guys. Some guys would you know they didn't know your body mechanics.
Speaker 1: Well he did. Well.
Speaker 2: That's what makes a great quarterback great is that they can adjust to the receiver that they're throwing to and be able to pick up their tendency as well to be able to place the ball where they need to place the ball because of the way that you're moving out there out on the field as.
Speaker 1: A wide receiver.
Speaker 2: And that's just the skill set one of the skill sets that Matthew Stafford has that makes him, you know, so great. He's one of the most talented quarterbacks I would say to ever play the game. He has durability as well. He has elite arm strength, there is no doubt about that. What was it like, was he just like firing bullets to.
Speaker 1: You and flick of wrist just a risk like he wasn't even trying.
Speaker 4: You know, those like you know when you run like a deep bow from the slot you go in six up to about fifteen, rolled over at twenty twenty four, like he would do his play action come off of it whooa, and that thing would be on a rope like hit you like four or five yards before the sideline. That's when you can see guys, you know, our arm strength is those outbreaking deep routes when that ball gets up on you like he he just he had great ball placement. The ball was always where it had to be. And that's a pro. That's a processing thing. When a guy can process a receiver, you know, he does that very well.
Speaker 3: We were we were we watching right before this the miked up.
Speaker 1: What was it on? He was under Detroit Lions and it just showed his toughness.
Speaker 3: Tough.
Speaker 1: He is one tough mofo.
Speaker 3: He's tough.
Speaker 1: You know what a mofo is, that's a mother trucker.
Speaker 2: You take the tea whord the T ladder and you switch it with the F F.
Speaker 1: But mother trucker.
Speaker 2: But switched the T n F and it was I'm pretty sure it was like week ten, Week eleven or week twelve and two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: So I think he was just a rookie. Was rooky yourself.
Speaker 2: He had to prove himself that he's a tough sob and he wanted to change the culture in Detroit and this is what it takes. And I remember he got apps and this is like, this is the era where you can absolutely slam.
Speaker 1: A quarterback still.
Speaker 2: And let me tell you that era was just lovely to watch as a fan.
Speaker 1: Even as a player.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh man, that quarterback just got smack, brother, And like they look like this on the field after every hit too, But they always managed to go back in the game, just like Stafford did.
Speaker 1: He was laying on the field like this.
Speaker 4: He got all the way.
Speaker 2: I think he separated his non throwing arms shoulder. They followed him the whole entire time on the clip, and he was just screaming an agony of just pain. Ah and you, I mean, you've been there. We've all been there. I've been there, but as a quarterback, you he's done, you know. But Stafford showed his toughness time out. I don't understand that one.
Speaker 1: And then explain the rest. What happened from there?
Speaker 2: He went to the sidelines, they checked him out, They're like, oh, your shoulder, shoulder. Cleveland called the time out and then it was the pass interference in the place. So then it was first and goal I think with the couple seconds left on the one and they needed a touchdown to win the game.
Speaker 1: And what happened from there, Jules.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he rolled out and he was able to deliver the football. I mean, the guy clearly was in excruciating pain and was able to go out and win the football game.
Speaker 3: That was impressive.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 4: You know, We've been around some guys that have hurt their non throwing shoulder that didn't play when they could have played. And you know, a young guy like him trying to get the respect of.
Speaker 3: His team early in his career. That's how you do it.
Speaker 4: You know, you get your teeth kicked in, you pick them up, you put them back in your mouth, and you go play the next play. And that's what Matthew Stafford did all his career, you know, watching his no look throws. Like we all watch Patrick Mahomes, We watch all these guys do the no look. Joe Burrow, he was doing that fifteen to sixteen years ago.
Speaker 2: He was kind of like under the radar, one of the one of the originals to do that.
Speaker 3: He's on a shitty team, so you don't get the highlight.
Speaker 2: How about him as well? He was played with Calvin Johnson, absolute beast megatron. He got him the record for what most receiving yards ever in a year, and then he goes to l A and then he gives triple triple Crown Cup, Cooper Cup, which is just unbelievable. Those two definitely couldn't have done it without Stafford as well. I think that's one of the coolest things that Stafford has in his resume that he could do that. And Jules, you threw with with Stafford? Is there any other cool quarterbacks? So I like I talked about you. I know you've known you throw them with a couple of quarterbacks here in l A any other qbs that.
Speaker 4: I just throw a lot with the Castle. I would throw a lot with Liner all the la Russell Wilson, Carson, Palmer.
Speaker 1: Did ru did Russell Wilson throw?
Speaker 4: Herbert was out there a couple of times. I want to hear about Russell Wilson's like, he has a great, great deep ball. Dude, he throws tear drops. Man, he throws that thing so high. I was really impressed with his deep ball too, because I was coming off my ACL we went to U C.
Speaker 1: L A.
Speaker 4: And he was in town and he was trying to get some work in and he was I mean his deep balls, it's a real deal, like when everyone talks about it, and you can always tell a really good deep ball is a quarterback that throws it really really high and it lets you run in and it drops right up in that bucket.
Speaker 3: Like a good deep ball thrower.
Speaker 4: You'll see the nose of the ball go up and it'll come down, and I mean.
Speaker 3: He throws a really good deep ball.
Speaker 4: Carson used to throw really good like deep bows, those outbows that he used to hit to.
Speaker 3: Chad.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, Castle was just throwing missiles always. We used to go with Kenny O'Brien and he was a quarterback coach out in Manhattan Beach.
Speaker 3: We go over there, What well do you throw with any other quarterback?
Speaker 2: I really never really have, man, I mean I always was loyal to my quarterbacks jewels, unlike you.
Speaker 1: That's why you know. Tom loves me the most.
Speaker 2: He knew you're going out to LA and throwing with fifty different quarterbacks. But I only tested. I only threw with Tom in the offseason. Hoyer and literally the only other quarterback I swear in my whole entire career that I threw with was Jameis Winston one time in Tampa.
Speaker 1: In Tampa, I was in Tampa for in appearance and I went.
Speaker 2: To Top Golf and Jameis Winston was there and I ran into him and then he's like, yo, I'm throwing tomorrow. You want to throw some routes? And I was like, not a problem, my man, Let's throw some routes. I just met him real quick, that's all we really talked about. Showed up and we threw some routes, man, which is great. I loved him, man. He had a lot of passion for the game. He was, he was, he was great. His ball was good.
Speaker 3: Man, It's a lot of tripical force, a lot of spin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good spin.
Speaker 2: A couple of ducks once in a while, but that was okay as long as the ball got there, you know, the right placement.
Speaker 1: But that's fine.
Speaker 2: But what I really liked about him that he was intrigued that Tom Brady was my quarterback. And he kept asking me questions about Tom because he wanted to learn from Tom, and you could tell like he wanted to get better as a player. And he kept bringing up, like, what is Tom doing on this play?
Speaker 1: What is Tom?
Speaker 3: Would you tell him?
Speaker 1: And I just said, hey, this is what Tom does for me.
Speaker 4: That's just a little bit. I've never said that. Everyone asked me, Hey, what's Tom? I saying you, I'm not telling you.
Speaker 1: She never went in the depth too far, Jewels.
Speaker 3: I'm not telling you, ship Okay, I won't tell you.
Speaker 4: Tom would be so like Tom was whenever we would throw anywhere, it would be like we'd have like secret service scanning the fucking field. Tom didn't want anyone to coming in and watching us. Remember that, Like we'd hop the fence break break laws at U c l A.
Speaker 3: Alex would be coming over.
Speaker 1: He would be like Helicopter Bob was making sure that no one was watching it.
Speaker 4: He was like he did not want anyone watching.
Speaker 3: He hated it. I liked it though. I like that.
Speaker 2: I liked tell it because then it brings bullshit and it brings extra work, curricular activities that you don't want because you're just trying to work. So I'm all in for that. And that's being a leader too. Hey, this is work time. Get the get the fuck away from us. We gotta work. We don't take the pictures. Stafford, Oh Stafford, you're right? Oh, well, what Jamis Wints? I loved him too. He was a great dude. He was fun to throw with, by the way, But back to Stafford, we all know he's a tough sob one of the most talented quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: What do you got against him?
Speaker 1: I got nothing against them.
Speaker 4: Besides when you got traded to Detroit, you said, I'm retired. I don't want to play a fucking Matthew Stafford. What do you got against him? I got nothing against him. That wasn't because of Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 3: Well was it because of the.
Speaker 1: Only thing against him?
Speaker 2: I would say is that he just really's never been to the playoffs, like you know, a ton of times with that much talent. I mean, that's the only thing that you can argue versus. But it's because of the teams that I would say he was on. Like in Detroit, the teams were all awful, and then you get to La He's going to the playoffs all the time. It just shows that football is a complete game as well. But I'm just I know, but what do I have against him? I have nothing against Detroit Jewels. I already talked about what happened in that trade. I was kind of being a very big asshole that year in the off season. I sure was, you know, and I wanted to be Okay. I thought it was fun, you know. I was just matching the energy in the organization. Okay, So I turned into the asshole. I never knew I had it, But when you're in that organization long enough, you can turn into one. I finally did Bill called me like eighty times. I didn't answer.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: Next thing, you know, I get a text for my age trade. Hey you're traded to the Lions. I was like, I knew that was gonna happen because I wasn't answering Bill's calls. I knew he was gonna freaking.
Speaker 1: Pull pull, you know, and when you mighty.
Speaker 2: Power move on me. So then I was like, hey, Drew, you can't trade a guy that's just retired. So so then drew it up Paige's organization, Hey Rob just retired.
Speaker 1: We're sorry, you can't trade him.
Speaker 2: And then then it was literally about to go down and break it in the news too, like in like two hours, like the whole trade literally went down, even knowing this was right before we won the Super Bowl, it was right after the game. It was it was off season after we lost to the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl, because you got hurt because you're assisting and you didn't want to play in that game, so we lost because of you.
Speaker 1: Juals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I practiced played. So then he traded me, but I didn't want to go anywhere. I was just being an asshole, and deep down I was not leaving leaving Bill.
Speaker 1: You know, I love you, buddy.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to leave you, you know, just a little tension in all relationships.
Speaker 1: But then we we smoothed it out.
Speaker 2: After I was retired, and then I came back to the Patriots that year and it all worked out.
Speaker 1: We won the Super Bowl. We beat the whatever.
Speaker 2: Los Angeles Rams in Atlanta the oh oh wait, Nope, because it was Jared Goff at the time.
Speaker 3: It was because we.
Speaker 2: Beat the Rams, Matthew Stafford got traded to the Ramps.
Speaker 1: So what kind of dude is Matthew Stafford?
Speaker 4: What kind of I mean, He's definitely got dog, He's got dog tendencies. He acted like a dog in that fucking that miked up rookie year breaking his shoulder.
Speaker 3: He's definitely a dog. He's definitely a stud.
Speaker 1: He's more of a stud than a dog. I would say, definitely a dog.
Speaker 3: Mister Texas and Football, Like.
Speaker 1: He's gonna sit back in the pocket, just.
Speaker 3: Just Super Bowl win their Hall of Fame numbers.
Speaker 2: Brushes their hair off, brushes their shoulder, and just boom zips the ball without even knowing. Like he's also a dude, and right when he processes the guy, that's.
Speaker 4: I think he invited me to do something right after, like we met for the first time. He's like, you want to have some beers. I'm like, yeah, I can't make it. But like he's that kind of dude.
Speaker 3: He's definitely.
Speaker 1: I never met him though before, so is he a dude's dude jewels? I think he is a stud.
Speaker 3: On three one two three.
Speaker 1: He's definitely at We're on the same page.