Speaker 1: Come on, all right, let's get into some news around the NBA really quickly before we get into what happened in the Suns verse mav series and.
Speaker 2: The Bucks versus Celtics series. Just really quickly. Want to just clean some things up.
Speaker 1: We never talked about the fact that the Sixers went home and boyle boy, boy oh boy were the postgame comments by Doc rivers a site to behold the Sixers home again before the conference finals.
Speaker 2: Once again, for context for.
Speaker 1: Folks who aren't paying attention to the history of this, the last time Philly won a second round series was when Alan Iverson did the step over Tylo in two thousand and one. That is twenty one years ago. That's how long it's been in since Philly has done anything of note in the playoffs. Nobody has disappointed more in the NBA in the last twenty years than.
Speaker 2: The Philadelphia seventy six Ers. I mean even the Lakers.
Speaker 1: I can't think of any team that's had as many expectations but has performed as poorly under the big lights. Turn them lights down, turn those lights down, as Philly has. Since two thousand and one, this team has been bounced in the first round or second round twelve times, including four times in the past five years.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ is horrible.
Speaker 1: No finals appearances in two decades, no titles in thirty eight years.
Speaker 2: Since the Sixers made it past the second round, there's been eighteen different NBA teams that have made the finals.
Speaker 1: And not you, Philly, and not you gross And yet this, this is the thing that kills me. This is the one of the reasons of many that I can't stand Sixer fans, like these version of Sixer fans, Like if you talk to Sixer fans, they'll come at you like they have twenty seven rings. They've got all of the annoying swagger of Golden State Warriors fans without any of the corresponding recent success. You, Philly, you would think doctor j had been like a recent phenomenon.
Speaker 2: How these Sixers fans, How these Sixers.
Speaker 1: Media, or at least some of them act. This is a train wreck of a franchise, and they have nowhere to go from here. And now they have to wrestle with the idea, the notion of signing James Harden, with the notion of whether they bring back Doc Rivers, rolling that ass back out there doing nonsense who who wants to run it back with Doc Rivers get out of here?
Speaker 2: Why do I not like?
Speaker 1: Doc Rivers is a fine person, Like I if Doc Rivers, God forbid was to hear this. I want to preface this by saying, like, I like him as a human being.
Speaker 2: He's a nice guy, has a good golf swing. He uses it a lot.
Speaker 1: Doesn't use it a lot in June. Just want to say, nothing, though, is ever Doc Rivers's fault. You get coaches when they get bounced, they're like, listen, we weren't ready to go, and that's on me. Manny Williams was out there saying that the sun's lost because I didn't have him prepared.
Speaker 2: That's my fault.
Speaker 1: The end of the day, it all, when it all comes down, it falls on me, Doc. Doc never thinks anything's his fault. It's everyone's fault.
Speaker 2: It's all. It falls on all of us. Doc.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a team game, but at the end of the day, you're the man.
Speaker 2: You're the leader of the platoon.
Speaker 1: You are the guy on the front lines of the first person in the firing squad is and only will be you, no matter if it's your fault, no matter if your point guard passed up in open lay it or not falls on you, sir. And the fact that you another thing that I don't like, the side road. It's like Doc Rivers is just learning about how bad his reputation is around the NBA. It's like he just stumbled upon Twitter and how everyone thinks about him as.
Speaker 2: Being a bad coach.
Speaker 1: It's like he's just now annoyed to the point where he's addressing these things we've been talking about for five years.
Speaker 2: Doc Rivers, do you know that you've.
Speaker 1: Blown like eleven straight game sevens, like something crazy, eleven elimination games?
Speaker 2: Like you didn't know that We've been talking about this.
Speaker 1: We've been killing you online since you were in Los Angeles, sir. We've been killing you since you got one ring in Boston, sir.
Speaker 2: It's been a minute. And when he found out about this, he's like, oh, yeah, I mean Orlando.
Speaker 1: Do you see Orlando's roster dog? You are getting killed. This is not new. And yet for some reason, Doc Rivers doesn't believe that this is a results based business. I try really hard. Nobody's more confident. Yeah, yeah, he said, I try really hard. Guys, me too, me too, Like sometimes though you're just out over your skis my man, and nobody feels more confident somehow Someway in his job security than Doc Rivers in his measily won ring despite so many of the problems that this team that has falled on Doc Rivers's shoulders, I don't know, like blowing up players, throwing him under the bus, making them never want to come back to your franchise after a series ends, Like deciding to play Joel Embiid with a torn thumb in a fourth quarter up thirty to the Toronto Raptors in a closeout game in the waning moments, like constantly deflecting blame even when things are very clearly Doc Rivers's fault. Here is what Doc Rivers had to say after the series ended.
Speaker 2: It's unreal.
Speaker 3: I don't worry about my job, and I think I do a terrific job. And if you don't, then you should write it. Because I work my butt off to get this team here. When I first got here, no one picked us to be anywhere, and again this year the same thing. So if that's how anyone feels, right, and I'm gonna feel secure about it if.
Speaker 1: It results face business, it.
Speaker 3: Is but you don't do it every year. Every time you're wrong, should you lose your job? No, So it's the same thing, all right, But listen, if you believe that, then go with it. I know how I know what I did this year, and I feel very good about that. But again, if if you believe that, then you just run with it.
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 3: So to be clear, you plan on still pan So to be clear, you plan on still out the Indian I'll be here, Yeah, I'll be here. Whatever makes this team, you know, whatever allows this team to continue to grow and get better and do the things necessary to win and compete at the highest level. James, She said, the ball didn't get to you. Does the coach called plays to try to get the ball to you?
Speaker 2: Nice question.
Speaker 1: He also said, in the middle of that Game seven, I realized the Miami Heat were just a better team than us.
Speaker 2: What excuse me? I do a really good job. I try really hard.
Speaker 1: This clip, by the way, is amazing. Why is it amazing because there's a little bit of Odyssey Entercom Radio inside the company history here. My man Howard Eskin is the one asking Doc Rivers the question. How Eskin, seventy plus years old, been covering the Philadelphia seventy six ers as a staple for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Also happens to be the father.
Speaker 1: Of WFAN program manager Spike Eskin, and nobody gets under Doc Riverskin more than Howard Eskin. Howie won't even refer to Doc as Doc. He calls him Glenn. He refuses to say the word Doc rivers because there's only one doc.
Speaker 2: In Philadelphia, and that's doctor j Holy.
Speaker 1: And Spike, his son, told me, you can feel when Howard's about that my dad's about to ask a question to a coach, because all of the life drains out of their face before he even asks said question.
Speaker 2: The only thing.
Speaker 1: Left that Doc has is the fact that Darryl Morey he doesn't want to fire outwardly. Listen, Darren Morry doesn't want Doc rivers on this as this coach. We know that we know who Daryl Moury wants. It's not a secret. He wants Mike D'Antoni, and Bee wants Mike D'Antoni. James Harden wants Mike D'Antoni. Is Mike D'Antoni the right fit? I don't, you know, probably not, But we know for a fact that Darryl Moury and the rest of the squad is not Roland with Doc Rivers. But Daryl Moury's like, I can't fire him right now because but Daryl Moury says he's going to keep Doc Rivers. The Doc Rivers is a long term coach for the Philadelphia seventy six Ers. And if you believe that, given what we've heard and what we know about Daryl Moray, who is a fucking liar, I have some beachfront property in Montana to sell you.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: This is what to recap. Moury said, He's a great coach. I love working with him. I feel like I'm learning from him. I think Elton Brand and I make a very good team. We're gonna see where this journey takes us, but we feel very good about where it's going to take us. It's going to be where we have a very good chance to win a title. Pause And that's a lie. People in the know think Doc Rivers is headed to the Lakers, because why Doc Rivers loves nothing more than sunny weather and good golf courses and Philadelphia has neither.
Speaker 2: And the Sixers are only waiting.
Speaker 1: Around because they want to figure out a way to finagle the Lakers to give them something back to get rid of a guy they already want to get rid of. They want the good old Doc Rivers gets traded from Boston to La thing like, just do it again. Let's just do it again sixteen years later, folks.
Speaker 2: The problem is.
Speaker 1: That the Lakers have almost no trade assets to move to add insult to injury.
Speaker 2: Ema Udoka is the third coach to leave the Philadelphia seventy six ers.
Speaker 1: Is an assistant coach tooenty sixteen and make the Conference finals in his first two years as a head coach. Yikes, that's Mike D'Antoni, that's Eme Udoka, and that's Monty Williams.
Speaker 2: Will Doc be back in Philly? I hope not. Don't bet on it. But what's that old thing?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: The definitive definition of insanities is doing the same thing over and over again.
Speaker 2: Thinking the results are going to be different.
Speaker 1: We know this Philadelphia fan base is insane. If they bring back Doc Rivers and they do a long term contract extension on a max deal with James Harden.
Speaker 2: The city will go up in Thames like the what is it? The Joker?
Speaker 1: And here we go