Speaker 1: Welcome back to Unplugged. We got a very special guest in the building today, man, someone I've known for a while. We both how do I stay respectful about this? Our kids are cousins.
Speaker 2: There you go, our Jesus cousins.
Speaker 1: Kids are cousins, and they're all very tight and we're all very happy for all of our kids. Before we get to first of all, shut out Netflix Shooting Guards. If you haven't seen it, go check it out now. One of the best docs on the platform right now. We'll get to that a little later, but get a lot of shit has been going on the last couple of days. The NBA lottery was last night. Yeah, you know, there's certain words we shouldn't stay if we want to say, stay NBA friendly, but somehow, some motherfucking way. But I want to back up a little before we talk about the Mavericks getting the one the number one pick, because one of our producers told me that the Bulls and the Magic had the same records, so they had to flip a coin to see explain a little bit better Nate.
Speaker 3: So they had the eleven and twelve facades, So the coin flip dictated who basically got the better and then the Bulls ended up with twelve.
Speaker 1: And they got the twelfth pick. The Bulls had the twelfth pick and somehow the eleventh.
Speaker 3: It went differently in the hogs and the blottery balls would have stayed the same.
Speaker 2: It's the Bulls could have been the number one.
Speaker 1: They probably would have stayed the same. They probably would have stayed the same. What are your thoughts when you hear this? I mean, obviously the world stopped when Luca got traded for Anthony Davis, and Nico took a lot of shit. We've all known Nico for a long time. I always thought it was above Nico thought obviously that was an owner's decision. But you know what, two months later they were rewarded with Cooper flag sweep steaks. When you first saw that, what were your thoughts?
Speaker 2: What's funny is when the trade happened, and you know, I've you know, I'm a Laker fan, so I know you know where the godfather of the NBA, We're the damn logo, right, But where the logo of the NBA Magic was When the NBA merged, Magic Johnson was the baby, right, So I followed Magic to the Lakers on the championship, you know, contending team, and then they get James Worthy of the number one pick while they're champions. Right, So I've followed the dynasty. It goes way back right this. I think only Elgin Baylor is the only we can consider superstar that didn't win a ring in the Laker uniform. So the legacy is the legacy. So when this trade happened, you know, I'm sitting here like, Okay, that makes sense, and the rumors I'm here from Dallas is like, yeah, that don't make sense. Right. You You you're a new owner, so you got to pay the ties, right, and the ties is, hey, you give this up for the betterment of this league and we'll reward you later. Right. You know, if you look at history, just every new owner somehow they get the number one picking within the first couple of years. I think the only one that hasn't is the Brooklyn Nets owner. But they didn't got the Big three. They got d got something like when they came in, they got what Kevin Garnet, Joe Johnson and Pierce Right, it just didn't work out for him. But you know they've gotten their fair share of talent, you know, being a new franchise. So you know, it's it's like welcome to the boys club.
Speaker 1: So are we to say this is just the business of basketball? Is it safe to say that's the business of basketball?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know it's everything is a business. When you're talking about running empire, and the NBA is an empire, you want to make sure the right pieces are in the right places, right you really think you know, Michael Jordan would have pushed the NBA ford if he was in Was it a nasty market Portland somewhere? No, he went to a big market. You want your big stars in the big markets. When you look at before the top seventy five, when you look at the top fifty, was it forty of the fifty, we're in big markets, right, you know they were in the four Pinnacle markets. So I know this is a business. Dallas is a big market. You got somebody like Cooper Flag, you don't want him sitting in Charlotte. That doesn't help the NBA brand. So, I mean, you know when the trade happened, and I'm like, they will be rewarded, right, I figured that, you know their record, everything that happened, they were gonna get a top three pick. So I was you know, when I came out, I said, why is Anthony Davis coming back? That is pointless? Why are you trying to make the playoffs and jump out of the lottery right? That makes no sense. You know, this is no different than you know, Lakers getting Magic, Spurs getting Tim Duncan. If you look at their record two years before, you know, fifty something games. Then they had a bad year, people got hurt, they just set everybody ended up getting Tim Duncan. Then they win the right. So that's the same thing that I was thinking for Dallas that you know, if Anthony Davis doesn't help them get to the playoffs, you get a top three p pick, you get ace.
Speaker 1: Ale, you get Harper, one of them talented draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that actually helps you with the roster.
Speaker 1: You're you know, and and boom there you go, so number one pick. I mean, I always respect kind of your your mind of basketball. You know, there's talks on ESPN about potentially packaging that up. I don't see that happening. How do you think Cooper flag fits in with a healthy Because after that trade happened, I felt like this Dallas team was more fit for the playoffs and to make a run in the championship obviously than the Lakers were, and then the injury bug hit them. How does Cooper Flag fit in the mix? And do you see him playing the three?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, you know, was he six seven and a half? So he's a three Today's three? Right?
Speaker 1: You have?
Speaker 2: That's just if everybody else up the Kay at the.
Speaker 1: One, you have Washington or Clay at the two.
Speaker 2: Probably put Clay at the two. You're gonna start Washington at first. But then obviously that goes to the Coop then Anthony Davis and Effort or Lively. I mean, you have a big ass team. You you really have a dominant team. And it doesn't put any pressure on Coop Flag. He gets to actually just be a system player, you know, fill himself around, no pressure because they're going to be winning. So you know, his legacy, you know, from the jump, gets pushed in front of everybody because he's gonna have the winning record. Now if he wins a ring within the next two years, he got his ring, and then for the rest of his career he just can collect stats versus the other way around. We get all the stats and then we're not called the winner. Then we got to try to find a way to win. He would get that winning stamp early in his career.
Speaker 1: Shout out Dallas overall for the fan base, you get Page Beckers with the big number one pick in the w NBA draft and then you rewarded with Cooper Flag and I'm happy for the fan base. That's a great fan base out there. Obviously, what Mark Cuban was able to do with that organization was was second to none. And you know, obviously they you know, hit a little rough patch with the new ownership, but again, you know the business of basketball has allowed them to rebound and get every went healthy and make a move other notable questionable I think that's a better word. Questionable lotteries Anthony Davis in twenty twelve Pelicans right after the team was sold to Benson. Yeah, random Kyrie Irving twenty eleven, right after Lebron goes to Miami.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's right after Mark, I mean with Cuban bought his team, but you had Lebron and then you know.
Speaker 1: He leaves Patrick Ewing with the frozen envelope in eighty five, interesting Zion after the Pelicans trade ad to Lakers. One thing about the Pelicans have been rewarded because I want to say the ad shit happened when Chris Paul got traded, right when Chris Paul left.
Speaker 3: That was right on the same timeline that denied Lakers trade and the team at that point.
Speaker 1: And then the Bess well remember Genie was telling us how that shit happened, right like it was a big meeting somewhere and somehow, some way, anyway, long story, it.
Speaker 2: Was because you know, I was in Orlando at the time, So because they wanted Dwhite, right, So you know Lakers wanted d White. So there was a bunch of moving parts. In the first moving part was Chris Paul getting to LA. Now, the reason the deal got messed up because Lakers had too much money left over, right, So what happened was you have Chris Paul going to LA. Then you have for Powel Lamar, Poulin Lamar because I was on that team. So now you got Pola Lamar. Now think about you probably got eight or nine million dollars left over. Then what happens is you Amnesty run our test for his eight nine million, which gives you eighteen million and done. In the back burner. You had DWIGHTE. Howard getting traded for buying them. Right, So now you have the White cp Aloi and Kobe, but you got about eighteen million dollars free, and then the cap went up, so they had about twenty four million dollars. And then at that in time, twenty four million. You got your two max players because you start them off at twelve, right, so Kobe had twenty So Kobe was on twenty four million. But think about what Lebron James and Lebron James and Chris Boss signed for Miami. They starting basis about twelve million dollars one on nine. How you started off, so you you backloaded, right, so you started them both off at twelve. You had them near the USA team on one team, and then Kobe would have been up. You got twenty four million dollars free. You didn't even have to sign Kobe back. You can go back and sign Kevin Durant and somebody else. So you would have had the USA team on the latest. And when Mark Cuban found that out, he he called foul play and then they had to move Chris Paul. They had to push Chris Paul to the CLIPPERSWN the Hall way.
Speaker 4: Question for Gil for speak to New Orleans, always talk about expansion. Do you see there being too pure expansion teams they want located.
Speaker 2: Listen, there's some ship markets and when you're talking about business, you know it's it's it's really all about business, and you got to put you got to put teams in big market. There has to be a team in Vegas. Obviously, Charlotte. I don't know why Charlotte still has a team.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Would you call Seattle a big market or just a great sports town?
Speaker 2: Great sports town? Right? If I was the commissioner, there'd be three teams in LA. There'd be three teams in New York. Right, There'd be another team in Miami. Right, There'd be another fucking team in Dallas or somewhere around in the Texas area. Right, I'm gonna milk the market. Like when you think about shoe companies, there's there's four teams that are called Tier ones Lakers, Clippers, New York Knicks, and Brooklyn Nets. Boston there tier two with Miami and Chicago. So basically LA and New York are Tier ones for shoe companies. So you know, if you if you're thinking about that, you might as well put another team, put one in Manhattan, and then you know, put one you know somewhere else in la you know the yeah, yeah, put one back in San Diego.
Speaker 1: The number two pick with the Spurs, to me, was really interesting because there's a lot of talk for the first time actually coming from Giannis that he's interested in kind of moving. He wants a winning situation, he wants a bigger market. With the depth in this draft, with the Ace, Bailey's and the Harpers, do you see the Spurs packaging that up and possibly going after Jiannis.
Speaker 2: The biggest question is Giannis is still in the mind frame of winning championships, and I don't see how he is convinced that he will win a championship with Winby and within the next.
Speaker 1: Year in Fox. How does three four years years old thirty.
Speaker 2: So you're talking about by the time Winby comes into his own where he is a problem of the NBA you're talking about twenty twenty three, four five. I don't see Yiannis doing that.
Speaker 1: Where do you see him being a good fit at I mean there's teams throwing out there, and obviously teams that have, you know, capital to play with whether that be picks or cash.
Speaker 2: He don't have a trade clause, so if I'm bucks, I really don't give a ship where he wants to go.
Speaker 1: Right, I know he's been so you wouldn't, So you wouldn't honor that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I would honor myself. I would honor myself, and I would be looking at two teams. I would Yeah, I would be looking at Houston Rockets, right, and I'm talking about bringing back assets. I'm you know, I'm looking at their roster like all right, I'm gonna go for a man first, but i know Houston will back down on that. So I'm gonna say, can I still jailing green from him? Because how he played in the playoffs? Let me see if I can get that up off of you. Right, I'm gonna go for Easton and I'm gonna go for Jabari Smith. Give me both them, and then you know you got two shooters on the bench. You got Reid and you got the whitmore. Yeah, and I'll say, yeah, give me all of those and we could make this trade and then the other one would be okay. See right, you got a whole bunch of picks and you have a bunch of assets that you probably can't afford. Right, you got Shade is going to sign a Supermax then you know you got check that's up right, you can need to sign him an extension right now, or you have to wait. And Williams Williams. Both Williams is up at the same time. So you got four players that's young that's up at the same time. So I'm gonna see if you're you know you're gonna give me check. Just give me check and then a whole bunch of a whole bunch of picks.
Speaker 3: That's the extension eligible this offseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so him and Jalen Janan Williams too, you had to both. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I read an article about Steph and Gianni's having some kind of undercover nice friendship, Like Giannis was the only outside worried that attended Steph's All Star party this last All Star There's always been talks about him possibly going there. Do you see I mean, obviously we know STEP's on his way out. I mean they would be rebuilding around Giannis once Steph is gone. Do you see Golden State being a dark horse in this at all?
Speaker 2: Or no? Yeah? I really believe that, you know, if I'm if I'm higher up, and I'm thinking I need I need more of these. I need more Euros and big markets, right, I need, you know, I need someone over in New York, you know. I think he could end up in New York or Golden State, San Francisco, And I think just how business minded he is at a at a at a young age. I mean, he's not young, but I think he will kill the market in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: I'm not reading into this too much, but if you are at All Star, you know the Warriors Arena, how there's that square and the plaster players, the two players that were plastered and the Warriors where were steph they were foreshadowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean good. I mean if you're if you're San Francisco, I mean I would hope you would be smart enough to, you know, kind of pamper to the guy you're trying to, you know, still away.
Speaker 1: Outside of Cooper Flag, obviously we spoke to the depth of this draft. Who else do you really like in this draft? Outside of Cooper Flag.
Speaker 2: I like Ace Bailey. I think I think his ceiling is very scary right bottom end. He's probably you know, Brendan Ingram b I, which is all star to me. I like Harper right, very solid kid? Was it Trey Johnson? And then I like the bohemian kid vjh.
Speaker 5: Ight.
Speaker 2: I like the big kid. He listed at six to ten and a half, which is crazy. He's like a it's like a queen from Maryland.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, he's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like his skill set.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's so funny is it's whoever gets him you got to steal. And if you're not a smart general manager, he will slip in a draft like Jokish did. When you're in these drafts and you're playing one by yourself, you're not gonna see his skill set, right. The skills set that he has is a five on five game. So you're sitting there playing by himself, sitting here doing this. You don't see his vision. You can't see none of that. He looks too slow, you can't see how he plays his body. Right. So if I'm san Antonio with the two pick, I might I'm not mad at that. That might be the guy that I actually with because he is a If you think about Spurs, Spurs are still old school where they've dominated with two bigs. I have a low post big with him that's seven foot with his shoes on. And then I have seven six guy who's I don't know what the fuck he is, right, you know, two, three, four one whatever, Right, that's him. So the fact that I can play inside out with these two, I think the Spurs probably go after him. Interesting, it's you already got guard play, right, and then most of guards. You got Harper, you have VJ. You have Trey, I have that already, I have Fox, and I have my Hasslwood, so I don't need them, right, So you know, now you have at the three, right, you have Bailey and then the only really skilled players there is the kid from Maryland.
Speaker 1: Moving to the Knick Celtics first and foremost that hasn't beneficially. Now for we want to send love out to Jason Tatum. Those non contact injuries are always scary, and I just I feel bad for him. What are your thoughts on this? I mean, and you guys have talked about this on your show. Why is he scrutinized so much and not respected for what he's accomplished thus far? Where he's had his team in the Eastern Finals, having the years win the championship, always had the numbers. Why do you think Jason Tatum is scrutinized or maybe not scrutinized, maybe not the right word disrespected. I don't know. Why do you think he doesn't get the respect he deserves in this league?
Speaker 2: Yet? The media outside of the players media just old school media. They don't respect early greatness. Right, It's like it's better for you to be bad good than win versus coming in at eighteen nineteen and being good and sustaining it until you win. Right. So, the fact that he's been to the Eastern Conference, fights, been to the they're counting these losses against him and saying, well, he's not it. Well at twenty five, can you name another player who's been in that situe?
Speaker 1: Look at his accolades compared to shit we we talked about here, compared to Shay same age and Jason's accolades night and day better than Shay's accolades.
Speaker 2: He's top five in history. There's only like I did a it was someone who won a championship, got one championship. I think it was like four or five All NBA First Team with at least five All Stars. There's only four or five of them him is like him, Jannis Kareem. It was him, Janni's Kareem. I don't think it would all start MVP. I don't think magic was in there, but it was only like four or five. And I'm like, like, you don't treat him like this though. You treat him like he's done, washed up fail when most of this type of talent don't really peak until twenty twenty nine. To the fact that he's had this early success but he failed.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course he failed, but but.
Speaker 2: You you're supposed to give these guys time to perform, and the fact that you know you're you're you can't use magic, you can't use Tim Duncan because they went into great situations. But for the most part, the number one picks are going to trash teams, meaning it's gonna take them some time to build that first. I gotta be a smart franchise to understand what his talent is and then build around his talent for him to be successful. So most of your number one picks and the guys who are supposed to be the faces of the league, they go into trash situation. So their first four years is losing and then and then they turn it around, so the fact that he he won early, I think he gets penalized.
Speaker 1: Against him anyway, Bro, I hope he gets better. But Nicks, on the other hand, the Knicks, I think have surprised a lot of people. Jalen Brunson arguably has been the best player thus far in the playoffs, thirty nine and twelve in the victory last night over the Celtics. He's averaging what thirty eight and four on forty four percent, shooting thirty seven for the three, leads the playoff in fourth quarter, scoring by thirty more than anybody else. What have you seen from him? In my question, I almost feel bad that I had this question before, but it was a reasonable question. I said before the playoffs started, maybe a month before or after all Star, can your number one guy be Jalen Brunson and can your number two guy be Cat and make it to the fun I think I said win, but even make it to the finals. And I think they're both proven, you know, kind of that question that they can. But what have you seen in Brunson and the Knicks thus far?
Speaker 2: You know, if you're if you're a scout, if you're an owner, general manager, you should be really looking at Brunson as real true analytics. You our NBA is designed now because of Steph and Clay and that franchise. But nobody else has a Stephan a Clay. You don't have an offense with a Stephan the Clay, right, you don't have those type of guys. But you're building this let's play small ball. Everyone shoots a bunch of threes. They shot a lot of threes, those two players, not the rest of the team. Right, you have this this analytics system where everyone we got fifty threes, and that means everyone gets to take them. Everyone shouldn't be Yeah, that's not how it works. Sean Liviston didn't take fucking six threes yo, Right, he played his game, Barbosa played his game, igual Dolla played his game. Only those two and then when Katie got those three, did the bulk of the three point shooting. Now you got five, six, seven guys run around touching the ball, just getting in the game, launching threes. That's Boston's system, right, And I'm looking at their games and I'm watching them when they do lose. I'm like, if you play against a team who plays regular basketball, right where their main guy attacks the basket, plays the mid range and gets the free throw line, and you'd be having these ten for sixty, these fifteen forty five. You're gonna lose because you don't shoot enough twos to win a game like that. And you know, I put it on Giannis. I said, y'all played Giannis in the playoffs. Y'all are gonna You're gonna have one great shooting game, one great half, two horribles. You can fuck around lose a series to a team like that. Then you go against Brunson, right, which let's be honest, it should be four old. They they've down twenty. They've never looked like they were in this series. And what ends up happening is you're you're not disciplined not to take the open three, and you're taking these hard side step thirty five footers on big men. Right. If you're shooting a side step three on bruntson, okay, but you're shooting it on Cad and Mitchell like, these guys can contest that. So you're gonna shoot yourself out the games. And Brunton, Brunton and Micheale, they played a mid range attacking. They don't settle and all they have to do, be close enough to you. So when you go on that zero to ten from the three and they're sitting there shooting two's, they're gonna catch you. And that's what that's what's happening right. Brunson's father was old NBA mid range drive down, and that's what you're losing to. You're losing to a guy who's not playing etelic basketball. He's playing You can't guard men. I'm not gonna settle. I'm not. I'm not bailing you out. Play defense. Him and Shade, they're playing the same style. No, you play defense, dog, I'm not. I don't need to shoot this.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna bail you out.
Speaker 2: I've never seen the NBA where I've never seen great players get a miss ma like with Tatum before he went down. You're doing a pick and roll and you have cat on you. You got bigfoot, Guarden you dog. He has women legs with big Foot like he looks like SpongeBob side side show. It was a side show. He looks like I showed Bob. No, he got he got Mary j. Blid, he got his girl's legs. Right, you're telling me you don't just straight line this dude, your side stepping on him shooting fifty for the man. If you don't go down here, lord hire man, that is crazy. He can't even turn that. They can't turn that fast with then with his mama hips, man, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: You said he's got his mama's hips.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: In side show bob feet and you're shooting step back.
Speaker 2: The side, step threees on that, like look even in the post, like I just look at like he's a great like that is a great player if you don't know how he plays basketball, right, he's a finesse guy that seems like he actually hasn't developed a skill since he came into the league. But you know that comes from we don't scout right into the playoffs and when you watch him here is like you have Jason Tatum Garden and you the whole gaming you didn't post up that one time, and then when you post up, you can't get around him. Right.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing in Minnesota, say you know what I mean is like, you know he has been playing well in these playoffs, he's.
Speaker 2: Been playing decent, but you have a guy on you that is the best player on that team, and he don't want to get in foul trouble, right, So if you really start attacking him, they're gonna want to They're gonna have to double to keep him out of foul trouble, right, which opens up the game for everybody else, make easier shots for McHale and og in a corner. But the fact that you are pick and pop every single.
Speaker 1: Time, just like it's just so annoying crazy fourth quarter points to the first ten games since nineteen ninety seven, Jalen Brunson one hundred and two, Kobe had and three had one hundred, Kobe and one had one hundred, Stephan twenty three had ninety nine, and then Kobe and eight had ninety nine. Brunson's on the tear right now. Obviously he won Clutch Player of the Year, didn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he's averaging ten a game in the playoffs, four in the fourth and that's number one behind Mitchell and.
Speaker 2: Ann h So, I mean the Kobe one is more technically is more impressive because you're talking about zone and shock, right, the fact that.
Speaker 1: You're because you played in our era in that so we were having a debate. They were having a debate earlier as far as Brunson and Allen Iverson, and my whole thing was they were looking at the straight numbers. But I'm like, you also have to realize the air of basketball with the defensive word, and who could could protect the rim at that time when Allen was playing, when you were playing, when I were playing, and when Brunts was playing. You can't name five shot blockers in the league now that the league had shot blockers in those times. What are your thoughts when when people we were just fucking around when we were comparing Allen Iverson and Jaylen Brunson, and I.
Speaker 2: Hope people don't take this. They're like Iverson all five players were trying to guard him, right, you know, we we knew the zipper, We knew what he was coming. Iverson cut gonna go around and double, and we all we don't care who he had. Like if you think about a team, none of them can shoot outside of ten fe I mean you had not you had McKee, Yeah, you had you know him was I'm gonna take one or two maybe a game. So for the most part, there was no you wasn't spreading our team, no team out and he was still getting where he wanted to that's how good he was as a talent. Alan Iris and more talented, more dangerous. But you know, Brunson has a skill set that is that is only given to certain type of you know men. Jordan had it, Cob had it. I think Brunton mentally is the closest thing to what Kobe was in the fourth quarter, Right, no matter what happens, he can be zero for twenty in the last five minutes, you already know everything went out the window. It is different. He's gonna go four for five. He's gonna put the team on his back. And it's hard to find that skill, right, and he's a guy who has he he has it like he is like what you know when Dame was them years Dame was like fourth quarter banded and hitting them big shots. That's Brunting every It's like it's every game. It's like he does not fail, Like I don't care what any of it. He does not fit. He's never disappointed in the fourth quarter, no big game, right, no matter what happens in the first three man them last five minutes, that man shows up.
Speaker 1: And he's one of I was talking about this the other I mean him and Steph and STEP's hurt right now? Who has you jumping outside out your seat down stretch time with the shots he's hitting, whether it be step back, three's, mid range, sit down, playing off too like Brunson, has completely taken over these playoffs and I love it. Moving on to the Warriors and the Wolves. Obviously step down with the hamming. They're up three to one, but I really want to point out what obviously Anthony Edwards has been doing twenty seven, eight and four and forty two percent from the three. But Randall. I think a lot of people wrote and gave Nix the nod in this trade during the regular season, but I initially said a long time ago, and I want someone to pull it up. Randall's a fucking dog, just like ant Is, and if they ever got their chemistry, look out. Whether we feel like they have their chemistry or not, he's playing a lot better at Randall's at twenty four, eight and six a game, his numbers arepped nearly five points in the scoring mark, and he's been a driving force. Everything is really out the window. You know, Boston's on their way out, Cleveland could possibly be on their way out. Okay, see big game tonight in a two to two series. Minnesota made the Western Finals last year and looks like they're gonna make it again this year. What is your thought on their team and just the way they play?
Speaker 2: It doesn't look good. I'm gonna just be honest with you, man, like it ain't pretty. It's not like you know, I'm Laker fans. So they beat us, so you know, I can't really speak on you know, that series. But when you look at a team that can match the youth, they struggle basketball, right, you know, I really don't think they do have their chemistry. I think yeah, you know, it's you know, because of the playoffs in the style of the game that they have to play, it fits random better because now the game is slower. You got to go to the half court. They're loading up on you. Now you got to come to me. And in regular season they didn't have to. It's more up and down. So he kind of got lost in the offense. Well, he's his style is old school style is so let me take advantage. That's playoff basketball. You need ISO players a little bit more when you know, things break down on a team aspect. So he's playing very well and man is going to do what Man is going to do. You know they're going to get through this series. But you know, once Steph went down, I don't know how you not just beat on this team because they can't score. You don't there's nobody on the team that is gonna drop fifth. They don't even have the capability to drop fifty, not one single person on that team. Right, you know, you have Jimmy buckets, but Jimmy plays. He plays winning basketball, and winning basketball is not selfish. Right, So last night he took nine shots, and you're sitting there like, yo, I don't know how we win with you taking nine shots. You're the best player, you're the best player on the floor. You can claim that you're the most clutch player on the floor because you know, Man hasn't really proved that aspect yet. So you're the most dangerous guy within the last five minutes and you're taking nine shots in the game where we don't have Steph and and our second best player is coming off the bench and they don't really care about him.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: They're forced to playoff.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's been hooping though to with thirty two games ago, but you have last night twenty five. Yeah, it's it's ugly.
Speaker 2: It's not pretty ugly twenty two year old basket the draft.
Speaker 3: I mean the trade value of him as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, listen, it's I don't think they want to get rid of him, but I don't think they want to pay him what he's worth. You know, they offered them one hundred thirty something and you know he turned it down, So it's like, are you gonna turn it down? I'm just gonna bench you, and you know we're gonna let you go get that money and hopefully you know, because if you get a hundred, we're just gonna masch that shit, or you're gonna to be restricted.
Speaker 3: They didn't extend if he denied the extension, so that means I would open them.
Speaker 2: Up your show.
Speaker 1: First of all, congratulations, I remember you trying to build that and what you've been able to turn that to and is amazing obviously a million subs already. What is your goal with that show? Because I've also seen you start to dip your water on linear, I've seen you doing your thing on ESPN with your button up shirts and everything. I know again with your basketball mind, I know that's exciting to you for what, so what is the goal for your show as a whole and then you individually as far as exploring other options.
Speaker 2: Congratulations you too. You know what's so funny is, you know I started off on YouTube and then when I went with Fubo, I went to linear, So I was on linear before and then you know, I.
Speaker 1: Remember we're doing those things during the playoffs. Yeah, smoke on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and you know, oh that's what that's where this idea came from.
Speaker 1: How was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I'm when when I'm going back and looking at the footbo stuff and I'm looking at the idea and we all just they're just chilling, and I'm sitting here like it might be the most bulletproof format if I get four of us, just like you know, Charles Barklin and how we're doing it and we're talking everyday sports. I don't need the guests, and I don't have to run into guests canceling and all that when we already don't booked them and it's just us. We are the guests. And then if we do get a guest, that's just a plus. But the structure of the show doesn't need to guess, right, So you know, thinking about the idea, and then showtime, you know, reached out and I'm like, all right, what do you what are you offering? Right? You already have a basketball show? What do you What is the point happened two? That makes makes no sense to me. So I was like, I'm treated like a drug deal. Cut out the middle man. Just go straight to the plug and just go straight to the manufacturer. So, you know, I went straight to Underdog, pitched them idea and I said, hey, listen, I have a YouTube channel that has about one hundred eighteen thousand people instead of Son from zero. What's up? Like, we can be the platform? And they thought about it, and I was like, all right, let's do it. Then I was like, okay, hey, I have a basement. Right, I have a basement. We can do it right here in the house. And my idea was the same as a landlord, right in the week, come and build your build your builcher one hundred you know lighter they built. Yeah, you know you got two crops out of here, a police, there's some people growing in the building, right, go ahead, kick them on out. And then I have the structure of it. So basically the idea was you know, if you know, they come, build the whole structure, put everything in there, and if we have a fallen out, it's it's my ship and I'll pay for it. I just need the whole setup to make it perfect and then I can run my own thing. And then just over time, we just built this, this this relationship where you know, it's basically open wallet, check just keep doing you Wow.
Speaker 1: So is the goal to that to keep it where it is, stay digital or would you like to get that on a linear platform as a whole, or what is your thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Realizing that we have more wiggle room than linear, you know, linear is they have a certain time and if something happens, they got to wait till tomorrow. We can just go straight on our platform and push out the content. Well, we can drown them out right. And I think they've realized that because those big wigs come into YouTube that you don't have production.
Speaker 1: They trying to figure out how to be able to footprint in a space and it can't.
Speaker 2: Because one, it's one of you and you're not good by yourself right as your production team and all that. That doesn't work here. You have to be entertaining and you, and really none of you guys have that kind of skill and discipline and talent. Right, everything has been given to you. So what happens is now is okay? With with with ours? I'm like, well, you guys are going to need shows since everything is moving towards programming. Netflix has a live right, Patreon just got live right, you have you know, NBC coming back, they have Peacock, and you have all these things, and you guys have lives. You guys need shows. So since I don't have a network, right, you need licensing, right, And I don't care who whatever group you put together, I'm out entertain them, right, because one thing you guys don't know. You guys think names, not personality. Personality is entertainment.
Speaker 1: You're looking at names, and all these major networks attack names, and some of them work, but a lot of the names could have been great players. And this is all due respect, like the personalities and the ability to come across as entertainment is not there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think they got fooled because they had two golden nuggets that actually fed. You have Charles Barkley, who was great and entertaining. You had Shaquille O'Neil and entertainment. Right, So you have two guys, So when you're thinking about names like, oh yeah, we just need the big names. No, that it's the entertainer himselves. You have to go after personality. The personalities that you are scared of is what actually bring you your notes?
Speaker 1: What what do you contribute the chemistry slash chaos of your group two? I mean, you guys can argue one day and hug the next second. But it's like you said, it's real though, and Nick the other day and branding bugging out like you guys have a cast of characters that make it work.
Speaker 2: You remember Kobe said, knowing the scout reporters cool. Knowing your own team is the talent. You got to know what your teammates can do and cancel. You got to know them like the back of their hand. So I study them so I know the trigger points right right, I know you know what I mean? I know I can look at the rundown and say, all right, I know he's going to go against me on that. So let me boom boom boom boom boom. Let me set a trap for like, so I know how to really manipulate it. And then from there you guys, be yourselves right, just do what you do and I'll figure out the entertainment part in it. Right. So like even with Kenyan and Nick right, and I see them going that, and I'm like, cut the live, cut the live right to make it seem like it's more intense. And then once I cut the live, now the idea of what happen. Now everybody wants to know what happened? Well, how did this start? What happened?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Because if we keep the live going on and they eventually calm down and work it out, it takes away from hixcited right. So it's always trying to figure out what the entertainment aspect of it is and always going into the segment trying to figure out and when the moment comes, capitalize on it. And you know, I told steven A. I remember when steven A, him and Lebron was going back and forth and he was like, yeah, watched today, and I'm just thinking, don't do stephen A. Steven A, don't do you right. And if I know what you're gonna do is you're gonna be serious and you're going to go in deep. And that's the wrong approach because he hit you with comedy. He made fun of you with the boxing stuff, right, you can't go serious that. It never played that never plays as well, never plays well. You have to be short comedy. So I'm sitting there thinking like it's probably too late, and I was gonna say, listen, call Mayweather, right, call Mayweather, have some boxing shorts on, right, have yeah, come in here like straight boxing up with the what's the name? And then you call him out, call him out retro National TV, say you got your trainer Mayweather right now? And I'm ready to go right and and be funny with no. I was like I was getting ready to it. I was like, you know what I mean, And I'm sitting here. That's how I would have walked in to the studio calling out Lebron James, knowing he can't do anything. It's gonna say yeah, and you get to you you keep it going because it's all about the radis in entertainment and that's what you know. If I'm pitching myself the first take, that's what I am, right, I'm I'm that guy who can bring who brings in the YouTube and the youth into that platform, and you know, it's like you know licensing a part of Gills Arena, right, so I know, you know around the horn is gone, right, so you need programming at that five A at five o'clock spots at five to five thirty. Hey, here we go, we can go live. I have my studios already built for live.
Speaker 1: We're in La.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have our network. I don't even have to gore. Yeah, I get you know, we can. We're right here. So I have the structure, you know, to fill that spot in. But you know, Amazon's calling. I talked to NBC, you know, going to you know, I think they was in what somewhere in New York that East and I'm like, what they what they have coming? It's going to be really good, and it's gonna be it's gonna be good for the league itself. And you know, with I think, with us all doing our part, I think we re shifting how media landscape.
Speaker 1: Really completely restruction of based off shows like yours and mine and the way that people consume, uh their information. Now for using an individual, I've seen you on ESPN. Now you've done a great job. Is that something you want to continue to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't you know it's a different format, you know, I'm I'm comfortable in my format, but just you know, I'm you know, I'm like.
Speaker 1: You're just talking shit though you could just it just.
Speaker 2: Gets the balance around. And I know, like you know, you know, the big networks is scared, you know, but they don't understand that I'm controlled. I understand the landscape.
Speaker 1: So I've always told people Gil was your brother in law, That motherfucker's crazy. I'm just like everything Gill done is calculated, like there's not a He's always thought so many far, so many steps ahead of it, Like, yeah, it could come off crazy, but Gil has a whole plan. Once this ship blows up and the smoke settles, He's going to be just fine over here laughing. I've always said, like, I know, like I'm going to look.
Speaker 2: I know, Disney, I know all the words you can and can't say.
Speaker 1: So you know you told us the two words we couldn't say that before we even started. Today, the NBA is trying to do you can't talk about this and you can't do And I.
Speaker 2: Remember when I push the limits on Rachel Nichols with Richard Jefferson, So I was like, you know, I'm going over with Richard and I was like, I know they're going to ask me about our relationship, right, that's always typical. So what words can I call him? Can I call him dick? Right because it's Richard? And I was like, okay, that's a good play. Can I call him a douche? So I'm looking up the words. I'm like, oh, call him a douche and a douchebag. And it doesn't flag. So, you know, so as soon as they get asked, right, I had to ask was it Steve Martin? And I said can I Can I call him a douche? And he was like, uh, let me look, and it was like sea.
Speaker 1: On the list.
Speaker 2: I was like yes, and they got to keep it in and he's gonna freak out and I got to do it.
Speaker 1: So that is something you do want to continue to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'll dibble and dab, you know, here and there. But you know, just like anything, you know, there's always steps and rooms for you to grow and grow your business. And you know some times you do have to put on a suit in the tie to get inside a certain doors, right, you know, if if you really think you can make it into a certain level without we're fools.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did it the other route, Like I started with that side and learned the world you want to call it the corporate side, and then like transition into being to take the tie off and loosen it up a little bit. But at some point, if you're going to be successful as an athlete post you're going to have to put the tie on at some point and learn what that space is about it not necessarily all the time, but learn, like you said, the steps what takes to be in that room and be able to hold the audience in that room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, you can make it. You can. You can sign big, big deals without the big networks. But that means you are looking at you know, that means you are dealing directly with the sponsor. The sponsor is like happy with the performance. And you know, now when you're talking about betting and those type of fantasy. You know companies, right, it has nothing to do with your numbers. They don't care about your YouTube numbers. They care about can you sell their product? You know, that's that's really that that what it comes down to. So you know, when you're talking about getting to the next level, you need a lot of people to help, not necessarily helping you, helping the lane open up for your personality. I remember when you know, a company was talking with Cam and Mace and I'm like, yeah, sign him, because Cameron Mace's style is rugged. I need them to go break some walls down, right so I can just you know, just trail right behind them, right, And that's exactly what they did, right. So we need everybody's personality.
Speaker 1: Just you know, open it up.
Speaker 2: And we need you know, like we need the stephen A's to sign their one hundred and twenty million dollars deal. We need the Shannon Sharps so sign. We need Pat McAfee because you know, if none of us really talk to each other, we don't know what the money is being given out there right for us. You know, it's you know, you can see some of these companies it's more like they're trying to use the three sixty deals on podcasts.
Speaker 1: But that's something to me. And you always were really transparent about like how much you make and how much you make it and it's not even like to know, it's to know where we're going and when the market is sitting at. That's something from the jump when you were doing your ship, when I first started doing my show, you and I were always talking about what's being made. Yep, what's going on to kind of know the number transitioning before we get to the Netflix shooting guards Elijah. I'm happy to hear Neph is doing better. I know there's some stuff you can't talk about, but what's going on with Elijah right now?
Speaker 2: He's man, he's doing he's doing good. You know like that that that first, you know, the first couple of hours, you know, it's like, damn, wait, what what's going on? Because you know, I'm up right, I'm up at four thirty working out, and you know, every time I wake up, I look on my app to see where he's at because you know, you know, you know cyber truck, so I can see exactly where he's at. Usually what happens is he's usually at the gym, come home, sleeps for about an hour. Then I got to wake him up and then take you know, align to his brother to school. Right, So that's been the routine. So you know, I'm looking he's at the gym. Okay, cool, so working out. Then you know Hermione called his sister's like did you hear? Like now you know your son got an accident at the gym. I no, he was driving, you know, driving home, gut in a car accident. And I'm like, uh no, his car is at the gym. And she's like, boy, he's at the hospital. We're heading here now. So I'm like, oh shit, okay. So I because she never she's never up that early any goddamn way. So the fact that she's hitting me, I'm like, okay, maybe, So I just put my clothes on. I said, give me an address, went straight went straight there, and sure enough, I'm like, what the So I go back to the car, like so you know, once you know, talk to the doctor and then like this is what happens. So you know, me, I'm checking anything broke, you know. The first thing is anything broken, right, you know? Head there was like you know, so far doesn't look like you know, anything is physically you know, from outside structurally wrong. We don't think he hit his head, you know, a couple of scratches on him, right, and I'm thinking, okay, maybe got pulled out rolling on the ground, and it was like yeah, you know, smoke, you know, in his lung. So I'm like, okay, all right, you know it could have been worse, absolutely, you know. So from there it's like, all right, what's going on? There's nothing I can do now because now I need to check the scene. Where's the scene? Who helped him and get a car? So now I'm doing all all of that. Went to go see his car's not there. So I went to the address, you know, and seeing this, knocked on the people's door, you know, put a note on there, you know, just trying to fill in all the pieces of what happened. Why I didn't get to learn it alerted. But you know, long story short, as you know, the car you know, mountfunction and on them controlled the steering wheel, went limped and you know, ran red into a tree. But you know, like once he got his personality back, which is once they took the drugs out of him, right, you know, our jokes came back and man boy, he almost went extra crispy on me. Man, right, he almost went extra crispy dog And.
Speaker 1: You said that, so those windows are bulletproof. He couldn't break the window. He couldn't break the window, and he was stuck in a car that was on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I had to you know, I have his phone, I had his phone, got his phone, you know, so I seen that. You know, when people are like, oh he fell asleep. I'm looking at he's on the phone, right, he's on the phone in nine one one. I'm trying to get that call. He was on the phone with them for ten minutes, so I know he was at least in the car for ten minutes, right, And you know it's you know, once he started you know, talking and you know doing all that, you know, just realize he couldn't break the window, start doing all the back search on the car, and you know, it's you know, if you're if you're a parent and your teen has this car, you might want to put a hammer in that joint, something that can break the window because physically, you know, he said he was trying to kick the door to the window and he couldn't. And you know, I said, you know you I told him, I said, man, I'm gonna just be honest with you, because you know, when he got home, you know, we had flowers, had flowers for him, and I gave him that speech. I said, listen, you're a lucky one to see this. Most people don't get to see the flowers. And how everybody reacts when you know, something happens, so you get to witness what the world did when you was you know, sleep, when you was an induced coma. So you know, this is what's supposed to make you great, that you you watched life that could have just ended. You can't take this ship for granted. Everything I've been I'd be telling him like I told him, I said, Man, you know what I mean, it's what little thing. Man, it's ten o'clock at night. Man, you're driving your girlfriend home. Why you are the money? Put her an uber? You leaving here at ten eleven o'clock driving her home. She's safe and you got to drive you you are at the bank. You should never leave your home at a certain time. It doesn't make sense. There's nothing out there. The worst cops in the world, they log in at ten pm. They know that's when the shit happens. That's what they want. So the most aggressive minds are active at that time. They can't tell the difference between who you are when they pull you over. So don't even put yourselves in the situations, right, you know, So we have them talks, but you know sometimes you know, kids are all hard, and I'm like, you know, I said, hopefully one day the example that wakes you up doesn't hurt you physically emotion of where you can't succeed. Right. So one thing that he did wrote that kind of like made me tear up was when he got conscious and you know, he got the right and he was wrote, does my dad know right? They're like, damn, you know what I mean? So, you know, and then when you know, they was like, he's up. He's looking for you because I was at home, and then you know, he was like, where's my dad? And then when I came in and he gave me that, I'm sorry. Look, you know, I'm like, just you good, don't worry about it. You know, it's you. You You're lucky one. So you know, when he's seen you know, the flowers and stuff, and I'm like, man, you know, you know, people don't get to see what the world. The whole neighborhood, people that I ain't even knowing the neighborhood. You know, they used to dropping flowers off into them. I'm like, man, like all these people. And then he wrote like, you know, I want to meet the people who saved me, you know, so it's it's it's one of them things that like, now you just got to really tap into your ability because the whole world is praying for it.
Speaker 1: Over now. I mean he's already a great kid, I mean.
Speaker 2: And I said, that's what said.
Speaker 1: That's a good kid on earth with humans. Just yeah, just a good you know. The funniest ship when the twins came home because they kept going to the hospital. Dad, You'll never guess what happened. That was Elijah, he's doing better. Auntie La La and Gil like sat by each other and they talked and they got.
Speaker 5: I was like, you know, it's this, it's kind of hard, the whole the Ainger bro. I still can't beat Penny around this. But then there's one thing I do. I'm gonna give her credit. And you know, it's so funny. He asked me, you know, what was it like? And I said, you know, around his mom. Yeah, And I said the reason I I left the hospital because I knew you was in good hands.
Speaker 2: There. There's one thing I do know is if if one of the kids is fucked up, she is gonna become overly overly protected Mama bear. Yeah, so I know this this right here. She got, you're good. I mean, you're gonna have warm blankets. If if spit gets on a blanket, you're gonna have a new blanket. You're gonna have food that you don't even supposed to have. You're gonna have a TV air condition. She's gonna make your cable, she's gonna make she's gonna do ship that. She's gonna annoy the hell out of them people. Right, So I'm good, I can leave. You're good, you know what I mean? I said, And I said, you know what, she did her job. Man, you know you can be proud. You know that. You know, when we go through things in life, we don't really know who's gonna be there. And I said, you know, that's that's one person that you can say was by your side the whole time.
Speaker 1: HM shut out Laura, and and and he'll be back on the court this week working out for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you know he's starting to ramp it up, you know, because you know telling me, you know, when you you know, get a little smoking your lungs, you gotta still, you know, get.
Speaker 1: Just tell them to come and talk to Uncle Mataws get out of his lungs, you know.
Speaker 2: So you know, but you know it's it's it's it's the karma for him where you know, the karma worked in his favorite as time, you know.
Speaker 1: But not to cut you off, but it's just like you know when I heard, it's just like yeah.
Speaker 2: And I said, I said, you know, everything happened for a reason, and you you survive this because you are a good human. Absolutely, you know. You open doors for people. Like if he was in his room, he's shaking.
Speaker 1: Everybody's You don't shake everybody.
Speaker 2: He don't get fuck what you.
Speaker 1: Do, zero ego.
Speaker 2: Right, you're gonna shake your hand. And I said, man, the fact that you hit the fire hydiant first, that slowed the car down. It kept you from hitting that tree head on the water right once it caught on fire. The water is keeping the car cool from your ass burning up in there. And the fact that you had the window cracked just.
Speaker 6: This much to get some smoke out, get some smoke out, and it helped people pull the window because they couldn't break it. So all of those things that align bet your life and that was because of who you are.
Speaker 1: Well, we love you, bro, get better, looking forward to seeing you back on the court. Gil Untold presents shooting Guards. How did this documentary come about.
Speaker 2: It was always in my back pocket, right, but it was it was more I've been trying to tell the story, and you know, the NBA was kind of keeping it from going because they didn't know the angle that I was gonna be on, you know, because you know, there was things that I felt legally was unfair. Right. You know, gun charge in the NBA is three to five games, three seven games? You know, seven games was the most, and I was a gun being fired off. And even though I was in public setting, not the NBA setting, but NBA setting, loaded guns three games, right, So it's like, the most you can give me is three games. Right, If you say seven, I might fight you on that, but three is the most unloaded. Don't touch no fingerprints, wasn't near one. The one thing I did do was say they were mine. I owned up, said yah, those are mine. But there was no finger where you didn't have me. There was no one who can say they see me with guns, so I can easily say they weren't mine, and you you know, you can't do anything. So when I got suspended fifty games, I was I was really angry about that idea, right, because it was more of you know, bully style. You know, I need you out of the limelight because I don't think you're gonna stop, right, I think you're gonna keep messing with it and keep going back and forth with the media. So I'm gonna give you fifty games and we'll see you next year. And it was like, this is what I got.
Speaker 1: Accept and this wasn't what was it was not to cut you off. This was in a January or Fred When when did this happen during the season?
Speaker 2: December? So December twenty in the season, so December twenty first, and then just got back from the West coast trip and it didn't come out to the first right, So you know, we didn't even we ain't even think I woke up to it, like, oh, who the hell is Peter Vesey, you know what I mean? And you know, once you once you paint the picture, how you paint it. You know, there's written that you can do to that point.
Speaker 1: And there's no social media, there's no way to explain your side. So it is what it is. What is your relationship with Javaris at this point?
Speaker 2: It's actually it's it's really good. I mean, it's it never was it was never bad. You know, it wasn't It was never really me versus him. You know that was a young boy, right.
Speaker 1: I mean he gave you so much credit when you first got there, taking the van and showing them love and work out with them, giving you your shoes and all kinds of different ship like.
Speaker 2: We used to like every road trip. You know, he had my real room number, right, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Know I didn't have my name on the list.
Speaker 2: I didn't have my name on the list because you know, you know, teammates, you know, sidekicks want to come over. They want a million dollar man, right, you know what I mean. They don't want you.
Speaker 1: Sees nose go to my flow, go to his flow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So you know I used to keep mine off and then you know Javaris, I hit him up. He'll come in and then he he used to talk about just a life, right, He'll talk about like you know what I mean, you know, like you know, the hood, you know, friends like you know, I see you don't have friends, you know, how do you break away from them? Because you know, you know, so we used to really just talk about it, and I'm like, listen, you don't have to be a part of the hood. You're rich, right, you are the NBA player. They need you, you don't need them. You can high security guards, you can. You know what I mean, Right, you don't need you. You can't be both. You can't be both. That is a fine line, bro right, you know what I mean. You you're trying to be loyal to the streets. That's not a real thing, right because remember you're not in the same level anymore. Right, They're gonna look like you owe them. That means you owe them forever. You have to pay that that tax forever. They got to pay their rent forever. Right, you are you are basically a drug that they don't have to sell no more. Right, They just I don't need to sit on the corner. I just text you when i'm when i'm down, when I'm a little bit getting low. So we used to talk, you know, we used to talk about it, so you know all that time. So with him, it was how he was talking, and I just didn't think that you don't need to be talking to the teammates like that just because you're frustrated about losing some money. Right, So that's really what it was about. So you know, even after that and we're sitting in the chacuzzie together and that's what we're talking about. I'm like, man, you're getting angry over goddamn a thousand dollars dog and not ain't eve about a thousand dollars man, you know what I mean? So it's about the respect and you know, you're making me look bad in front of the teammates. And right there when he said that, why we was in the jacuzie just right after, and I was like, you're right now, you know that's all. I'm like, I shouldn't have did that in front of them because you're still trying to establish yourself amongst this group. Mm hmm right, and I I kind of fucked that off for you. So you know, once I realized that in a jacuzzi, it became man, I need to really protect so you know I have it. They didn't put it in the doc, but the text message that kind of started it. Like you say you didn't have nothing. It was all me. I had the gun because.
Speaker 1: You were trying to protect him from thee. You thought the fifty games for him was too much for you.
Speaker 2: To like, I didn't even think about police coming. I'm like, if the media find out. If the NBA comes, just just tell him I didn't it.
Speaker 1: You were telling him like, I'm gonna take all.
Speaker 2: I'll take all the blame, right, I'll take all the blame. Has nothing. You know, you didn't do anything. You didn't have anything. It was just all me. You didn't have nothing to do with police. I didn't. Like, this is inside our home, so you know there's there's nothing they can do. You know, this is just for if NBA talks, right. You know, they suld spend me. You know, they spend me for a couple of games. It's cool. You're on a rookie deal. So I'll take the fall for this one because you know I put you in that situation. So you know, something happened with his mother. You know, he needed money. I'm the one who gave him the money so mother can get the surgery. And then we kind of had like the riff we did have is like okay, once you got cool, you're cool. You know, misdemeanor hand them you know, you know you and your lawyer are still trying to pretend it's still real, you know what I mean. And that's where I was like, oh, that's what we're doing so we we probably didn't talk for probably about like a year and a half. And then and then from there, like when he when he uh, when I came back out here, we was working out together. We talked, and then from there we were all good. He ended up going to jail. And then from there I was I was just a supplier.
Speaker 1: You tell me, you was supplying the cell phones.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he had all the new iPhones. That's one thing. Boy the boy had. The boy had the new iPhones. I ain't gonna like listen, he was in the whole a lot more because of me. Right, he was in the hole a lot like he in the hold again, what they caught the phone? Damn all right, I sent another one, right, so you know, you know, but you know, you know, the first couple of years, man, you know, he was still in the you know, in a dark space. Then it was more just talking basketball, and I think you know the game of basketball. What what he did love is kind of what made him, you know, see see life again. Man. They listen, Man, hey, this person's doing good. This man he's the real deal. And then from there I was like, hey, man, he what's in a hat fifty? That's a real fifty like you know what I mean, Like, yeah, I was legit, like you know what I mean? He was hitting bucket'll talk, yeah, you know. So you know when he got out, the first thing he want to do is come on the show and talk basketball. You know. So you know, we got out and we never.
Speaker 1: Got a real beef twenty three when he got down in twenty twenty three, twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Twenty two, twenty three, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right when you guys kind of pretty much started, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was season one.
Speaker 1: Well, man, I'm glad you were able to work that out, you know. Sending out love and prayer to Javars. Go check out Shooting Guards on Netflix. Shout out our partners Netflix. Congratulations on the show, and really, brother, just congratulations on everything. Glad Elijah's doing better man, and continue luck. Bro, I'm always rooting for you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was the funny is I only did the only did the flick because it was with him. Remember he was in. He was in for a while, and I didn't want to do a story by myself, right right, because you know I would.
Speaker 1: Already when I was like, what he's because I didn't know he was out. I know, I had no idea, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was one of those things where I was like, man, I can't it's unfair if I told the story by myself, and so I said, I told Netflix. I'm only he's the lead, right how he tells it. If he if he's not happy with it, then we're gonna scratch it. Whoever you're gonna pay him the mosuor whatever, however you're gonna figure it out. I'm gonna follow his lead on him, right, I'm not gonna don't don't. I know I got the bigger name, but I'm at a place where I don't really need this doc right, and he needs to tell his story, and then I'll tell it with him.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you coming on, bro.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: And that's a raft for Unplugged. You can catch this on the Draft Kings Network and the All the Smoke Productions YouTube. We'll see you guys next week.