Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, Thanks for joining us for today's morning run. It is Wednesday, April twenty second. I'm Amy Robots and.
Speaker 2: I'm TJ Holmes. Ie. Hmm, gonna be a good start. It's hump day, right, is humpy? It feels like I was stretching it out before we started, and you said the twenty second and I went and looked. I said, that's not correct. It is though.
Speaker 1: Oh. I was concerned when you said that because I thought, wow, And.
Speaker 2: I really concerned when you said it. Okay, But I shouldn't have been because it's correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: You should now be concerned that I don't know what date is.
Speaker 1: No, that's pretty much every day.
Speaker 2: Oh, and it begins.
Speaker 1: It's just because you work so hard.
Speaker 2: It's not that hard. It's just the hours of too long. What it is? Hello, everybody, on this Wednesday. We are making stops all over the place today, and all over the place seems to be where negotiations are to end. The US Iran war rose. There was a wild back and for really over the past two days, and everybody's standing by waiting to see Vice President Vance get on a plane, which he never did. And so here we are. So I guess you need to get folks caught up, but we have to tell you, folks, we're struggling to even to figure out exactly where things are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we should do an episode maybe coming up on Taco Tuesday, because that's kind of where we are right now.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows what that means by now they will soon if they don't, But yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a bad what does taco stand for?
Speaker 2: Trump always chickens out. Yes, it's becoming.
Speaker 1: It's happened on Tuesdays.
Speaker 2: It's been a it's been a couple of these now where there's something where he didn't follow through on a deadline and a threat, and folks have been pounding him with it. What's his name out in newsom he loves not just on this like previously, Trump always chickens out, and he does it on the Tuesday. Now, so it was Taco Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So yes, President Trump once again did not follow through on his very ominous threats. Instead, he announced he is extending the ceasefire, sorry, extending the ceasefire with Iran indefinitely. I did far well, you know what, I complated ceasefire and Iran together in my mind, and that's how it came out. Ceasefar, the ceasefire with Iran indefinitely. He said he wants to give Iran more time to get their ducks in a row. Is this the same president who was threatening fire and brimstone.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, civilization wants to give him more time. You got a die And he's not saying how much more time. It is indefinite, It is wide open. The President put out this statement on True Social yesterday, saying, quote, based on the fact that the government of Iran is seriously fractured, we have been asked to hold our attack on the country of Iran until such time as their leaders and representatives can come up with a unified proposal. Robes, what take your time. We'll just stand by and wait. Now, he says, the Block eight is going to stay him, but Robes, he's essentially saying, we won't shoot at you anymore until you get us some paperwork.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, I'm not upset about peace. That all good. It's just hard then to know when he says something what he means by it. That's fair enough and that's the confusion. But yes, he previously had said he was not going to extend the deadline. It was set to expire Tuesday at some point. But I guess we just kick the can like we do in our government about everything that's difficult.
Speaker 2: Well, look, everybody's happy that the fighting didn't resume. Absolutely, the deadline has passed, and everybody wants this talk it out and figure it out. Everybody is just a little thrown and confused that this is the guy who threatened that a civilization would die, who has given several red lines and deadlines and has each and every time he has not followed through on this threat. This is part of a strategy, his negotiating the art of a deal.
Speaker 1: He'll say, yes, maybe we'll all find out later when this is all done and over with, which we don't know when that will be. But anyway, next up on the run, let's go and to the halls of Congress because we are now down another member. This is pretty remarkable, dropping like fraud in a life. Two weeks what is happening? Democrat Sheila shir Phyllis McCormick chose to get out before she was kicked out. Also seems to be a theme. In a surprise move, resigned from Congress moments before she was possibly about to be officially kicked out of Congress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was facing some pretty serious charges, federal charges for allegedly stealing five million dollars in federal disaster funds while the House Ethics Committee was set to vote on punishment for her. They've already found her guilty of a bunch of stuff in the House at least, but they were going to then decide on whether or not she should be expelled. Before they could even get to that, she got out of there, just like Swallwell and Gonzales did. That was the last Monday. They both resigned on same day for different reasons of sexual misconduct, rape allegations, you get it all But yeah, ropes, they talk about. This is a reckoning possibly happening in Congress.
Speaker 1: All right, and there could be more to come, all right. Next up on the Run, the teenage step brother of Anna Keepner has pleaded not guilty to her murder. Kepner was found dead, strangled, asphyxiated on a carnival cruise ship last year while she was on her family vacation.
Speaker 2: Folks will remember this one she was found under the bed with blankets and life jackets over her. But now her sixteen year old step brother, who was on that trip with her and sharing a cabin, has been charged. He was charged in February, and he has a scheduled arrangment today. But the reason we know now that he's pleaed not guilty is they've waived that arraiment or at least his appearance in it, so he's able to enter a plea through this court filing. So we're not going to see him today, don't know. Robes will still get more details because the arrayment is still scheduled to go through.
Speaker 1: It is interesting because he's sixteen years old. He's being charged as an adult right now, we only know his initials t H. But he's being charged not just with murder but with sexual assault as well. So this is a serious, serious situation, And I'm just curious at what point we'll get his name and see his face. If he is being charged as an adult, I would imagine he would be treated as an adult at least through the media and any sort of press release.
Speaker 2: I wonder maybe today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much more to come on that. We'll keep our eye on that. Developing story, but in the meantime, next up on the Run, Florida carried out its fifth execution of the year last night. Chadwick Willisey was declared dead at six fifteen pm Eastern Time after being given a lethal injection.
Speaker 2: It was convicted of a nineteen ninety murder of his neighbor, a horrific crime in which he was caught robbing her house. She walks in on him. He ties her up, he strangles or he beats her. He forces her to give the pen number. He goes to the ATM, gets money out, it comes back, lights are on fire. While she is still alive. She ends up dying of smoke. Inhilation, Robes a, No, that was the thing that killed or not all he did to her, but a horrific crime, but he had his after thirty six years. Robes his moment, he's finally being killed. He's on he's given an opportunity to give his final words, and he said something, I'm very curious to see how it sat with the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, I hope this brings you peace. If it does, that's good. But this is not right. He went on to say that he and the victim were friends, and he would not kill his friends. So he left the victim's family with anything butt closure. And in fact, just if you're interested, we go over all of his final words and go over some final words of some recent inmates, some notorious inmates. If you're interested in it as much as we are, and what these death row inmates have to say, please check out. We did an episode on it before this one. It's really really interesting. But certainly Chaddick Willisey did not bring peace or closure to this family that had waited thirty six years for justice. His final meal, by the way, also usually of note chicken, tater toots, ice cream, and pie.
Speaker 2: Keep it simple, all right, continue on the run here. Now, police have made an arrest in connection with that shocking mass shooting in Shreveport over the weekend that left eight kids dead. The shooter, Shamar Elkins, was the father of seven of those kids. Well, he was shot and killed of course by police. Now the man that police they provided the gun robes, is the one that has been charged with possessing a firearm and making false statements.
Speaker 1: Because, according to police, Charles Ford was not legally permitted to possess a firearm because of previous criminal convictions. They also say he made several contradictory statements in trying to mislead authorities about that gun. So now yes, he is facing charges.
Speaker 2: Right, I continue on the run. Here now a story that kind of had people initially scratching their heads robes. The Justice Department indicted the Southern Poverty Law Center, accusing the civil rights group of funding the very hate groups they claim to be fighting. This does take some explanation, I guess, yes.
Speaker 1: So the DOJ says that the Southern Poverty Law Center defrauded donors because instead of fighting hate, they claim that this group was actually paying members of the Ku Klux Klan and other hate groups. And you ask why why would they pay the plan? Well, they say it was all part of a program that the sblc ran to pay informants for inside information about the hate group. But the DOJ says that money was turned right around and used to fund that extremism. Basically, they're saying this group funded extremism to make their own group relevant and important. So you need to have the adversary to be very vocal and in order to have something to fight against.
Speaker 2: But no, I think they were I don't understand the Southern Property Law Center. It said, yes, this was a program we had and it was a very important program in what we did. The DJ is saying, yes, you took donor money and you gave it to these performance who then you did it inadvertently, but you indirectly funded the hate you were trying to fight because you gave them the money. And what do you think they're gonna do with it. They're gonna fund their own hate. They're gonna fund their own group. So it didn't seem like a direct accusation that you all actually are trying to fire up the hate groups. You just hand it over donor money to a hate group to do their own hate. Doesn't matter what you claim your purpose was. Is what the DOJ is saying.
Speaker 1: And they say, like three million dollars of donor money.
Speaker 2: Bros, How big of a deal. This is a big The Southern Poverty Law Center is a significant, like even historically, this significant organization in this country. And you are now this DOJ is in some way with this tarnishing that record by saying you all's money was out there fueling this hate.
Speaker 1: It's it's crazy. I told you the first trial I ever covered as a young reporter in South Carolina was the Southern Poverty Law Center suing the coup Kluck's Klan in Manning, South Carolina for burning down those churches, and they won. They actually bankrupted the clan of South Carolina and Clarendon County with like a ninety million dollar judgment against them. So yes, they are known to be the basically the safety like they are there championing or or going against these hate groups and basically trying to defund them, to cripple them financially. That's what I experienced in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Well, well they are saying something. I just the idea that this would possibly tarnish that reputation. This it absolutely what funded the hate you were trying to stop.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on now, Next up on the run. The man accused of killing three people, including a DHS employee, in a shooting spree in Atlanta last week, has now died in jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, police, a twenty six year old ola Oh Lucatan adon a Bell was found unresponsible in his jail cell last night around seven o'clock. He was given first aid, but was ultimately declared dead about a half hour later.
Speaker 1: An investigation is now underway, but police said there was no sign of criminal activity or foul play. A Bell was accused of randomly shooting one woman outside a restaurant, shooting another man outside of a grocery store, before ultimately stabbing and shooting that DHS worker who was out walking her dog. All of those victims died. This is just a mystery.
Speaker 2: And now what answers will we get if he has died and how did he die as well will be a question. Continue on the run here now, Rose, I don't know who has an advantage. Now. We got people resigning from Congress, two Democrats and one Republican. They're trying to get another Republican out. And look, Virginia has jumped into the freight now because voters there have given the Democrats a pretty big victory midterms months away. But the Democrats, yes, came out on top yesterday robes in Virginia. And this was a big fight in a national fight. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Voters in Virginia approved a Democrat led measure to redraw the state's congressional districts, otherwise known as jerrymandering. This could allow Democrats now to pick up an additional four seats in November.
Speaker 2: I don't know where we are now. Texas started at California got into it, a bunch of other I don't know where we are.
Speaker 1: Didn't Missouri try for a while too, Did.
Speaker 2: It go through or I don't know. They were the ones that said no to the president, right, I don't know. And now Florida they saying still has time if they wanted to. I don't know who has an advantage these days. But there you go. Keep an eye on Virginia. Continuing here on the run, The FBI director Cash Hotel just had his defamation suit tossed. Not that one that you're thinking about, but this was another one roades.
Speaker 1: Yes, because well, yes Monday, Patel filed a two hundred fifty million dollar defamation suit against the Atlantic after it published that story detailing instances of alarming drinking and known intoxication by Patel, even suggesting some of his public missteps were connected to his drinking. But we're talking about a judge yesterday tossing off a different lawsuit that Patel had filed against an NBC SEE analyst for defamation.
Speaker 2: So what the guy say the piss Patel off that called him to file a lawsuit. This is what he said Robes during a segment he was doing a roundtable segment. He said, quote, well, reportedly, Patel's been visible at nightclubs far more than he has been in the seventh floor of the Hoover Building. Right, you get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: To get what he's trying to say that he is he's not at work a lot, or he plays a lot, or.
Speaker 1: Which is directly in line with what The Atlantic is reporting as well. So the judge, this was the judge's response when throwing out this lawsuit. A person of reasonable intelligence and learning would not have taken his statement literally by saying that Pattel spent far more time at nightclubs in his office. Vigliosi delivered his answer in an exaggerated, provocative, and amusing way, employing rhetorical hyperbole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you should be able to figure that out. You're smart person, he sued. Here's the thing, the guy he sued, is not going to get be able to recover his legal expenses. So even though he wins, how much did this cost him?
Speaker 1: And then that prevents people from seeing anything negative or even reporting anything controversial against someone, whether it's true or not because of the fear of lawsuit, fun of costs, and they're real whether you win or lose.
Speaker 2: You know what, maybe the company cover this guy on this when he was with NBC at the time, So maybe.
Speaker 1: He's an analyst, though I don't know about that. Yeah, it was not a direct employee, right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, stay with us Aero this Wednesday morning run when we come back. Another absolutely terrifying close call, the second one we've had this week alone. Yes, two planes got too close to each other at a New York area airport. Also, Texas has a big win. You can put ten commandments in the classroom. Guess who's coming back robes. The Mormon wives and kids in Pittsburgh are saying thank you to the NFL. They don't have to go to school today. However, they still gotta go to school today. We'll explain.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to your humpday morning run and next up on the run. This is a This is a growing concern for those of us who like to fly often.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna say trend.
Speaker 1: Well, God, I hope it's not a trend, but it does appear to perhaps be on that way. The FAA looking into another close call between two commercial planes. This time it happened at JFK on Monday.
Speaker 2: So this is what happened, and it's robes. This makes sense, well kind of. Both planes were on approach to land at JFK. One was an American Airlines Regional jet. It veered off its intended path and started going into the space of another Air Canada jet that was also attempting to land. Robes, it's this simple staying a lane. It's essentially that if you're on a highway, you're both going straight in your lane, one person starts to veer over into the other lane. That's essentially what happened to these two planes.
Speaker 1: So a collision alarm went off.
Speaker 2: You and you hear the audio from air traffic control. You can hear bit bit bit in both the tower and the planes these alarms telling them collision, collision, collision, And it's god for those alarms.
Speaker 1: They came within three hundred and fifty feet of each other.
Speaker 2: That's scary.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, both planes were able to perform a go around and land safely. But this is similar to what we just saw in Nashville a few days ago. Southwest incident but look, I'm curious, are we just now reporting or hearing about these more because it's on our radar? Or has this always been the case. Do we have many of like I'm we.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're paying more attention. You have websites and whatnot dedicated to you. They can pick up any audio. But robes air traffic control and the mess in the skies is a real thing, and shortages and all, well, this is real. And these two incidents we're talking about robes human error.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the computers saved the day.
Speaker 2: Human error. The incident human We are seeing human error incidents. The one on the plane, the La Guardia, the deadly one right, the plane hits the truck. That was human error. These aren't freak accidents. These are people.
Speaker 1: Messing up the frightening and I feel like a lot of it is New York City airports. Yikes. All right, oooh, next up on the run, Texas has been given the okay to put the Ten Commandments in every single public school classroom in the States.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The state passed the law last year, which requires posters of the Commandments to be displayed. It was immediately challenging court. Opponents had an initial win in a lower court, but yesterday a federal appeal appepal's court sided with the States, so opponents now planned to appeal that so Rove. It looks like possibly this thing is going to make it to the Supreme Court to have to decide this thing.
Speaker 1: Really, that's what we're spending our time on. Okay. Next up on the Run, The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives is coming back. Speaking of, this is what we're spending our time on.
Speaker 2: Stitch you up.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, okay, we just were not sure when it's coming back, but we know. I was reading that it could the production could be starting as early as today, Okay, but Hulu did confirm that it will resume. It shut down during the whole Frankie, Taylor, Paul mess the other women said that they didn't feel comfortable continuing, so they kind of pulled the brak or put the brakes on it. They're now willing and open, apparently to start shooting again. And I've even read reports that they say they're okay if Taylor Frankie Paul comes because they know where their bread is buttered.
Speaker 2: Oh. I thought you were going to say, because we love her, we're going to welcome her. Back with open arms.
Speaker 1: That's what they did say.
Speaker 2: Come on, you need the star of the show. She's I'm looking at something on TV that says messy some product, but that's kind of what she is, and that mess has sold this show for a long time. Did you see any she's put some stuff out. It's not confirmed if she's going to be a part of it immediately.
Speaker 1: It hasn't confirmed. But she has basically left the door open saying you know, yes, so the answer is yes, she will be appearing.
Speaker 2: She's left the door open open.
Speaker 1: The door everyone has. They all know exactly that. People are tuning in pretty much solely to see what's happening with her.
Speaker 2: All right, continuing on the run here now head to Pittsburgh, where kids there are not gonna have to go to school for the next few days. They are out today through Friday. However, they still have to switch to remote learning thanks to the NFL draft. The city made the decision to go to remote learning roads because the NFL Draft starts on Thursday in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: That's how big of a deal it is.
Speaker 2: They started doing this. They used to have it in one place, but now they've been moving around to cities and they take over the cities. It becomes a huge three day festival.
Speaker 1: Why not do it on the weekends then.
Speaker 2: Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Speaker 1: Oh how about Yeah? That just seems so crazy. That's wild to me. The kids are not in class because of an NFL draft town Like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, in Atlanta, New York, maybe you could handle that, but Pittsburgh is pretty small. It's a smaller place, and they are taking over the downtown. So yes, they got five hundred thousand people supposed to be coming in, They got road closures, public transit is packed. So but this is what now COVID has done, which is a guess, a good thing though Robes. But the kids are like, jeez, even on a day off, we can't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, snow days aren't snow days anymore. They're just learning from home days, all right. So that is our final leg of our run. But we have for you our quote of the day on this Wednesday. Hope you like this one. To not dance when you had the health and could hear the music could be the biggest regret of your life.
Speaker 2: Man. I love that one. Oh, I love though you know I was gonna love thank you for that one, baby, Thank you, thank you. I love that you man. The opportunity gets right there. It's right there when you could when it was within your reach, when you had a billy. We're talking about physically able to do something, but that's anything roll. The opportunity is right there in front of you to do it, and then you wait too long and then you don't even you can't do it correct and sometimes you can't. Oh that's a great why'd you get that one?
Speaker 1: Uh? Instagram? Duh? But no, I think about this look even when I'm a little under the weather but just running a little bit. Yesterday I wasn't feeling my best, but I thought, but my legs are working, I've got my body still physically able to do this. I'm gonna. I'm gonna. I'm gonna enjoy what I can do even if I'm not feeling my best. And dancing, we all forget to do that, right. We love music here and then I find myself dancing and just life gets a little bit better. We should all remember this, so yes, to not dance when you had the health and could hear the music could be the biggest regret of your life. So everybody get out there and do some dancing, and.
Speaker 2: With that, I'm gonna put the music back on.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for listening to us, everybody.
Speaker 2: I made me Revie and I'm TJ. Holmes. Will dance with y'all soon. E