Speaker 1: The Just Baseball Show is presented by BETMGM. If you haven't signed up for BETMGM yet, use bonus code just Baseball and you will get up to a fifteen hundred dollars first bet offer on your first wager with BETMGM. Here's how it works. Step one, download the bet MGM app and sign up using bonus code just Baseball. Deposit at least ten dollars, and place your first wager on any game. Step three, you'll receive up to fifteen hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet loses. Just make sure to use bonus code just Baseball when you sign up. First bet offer for new customers only, subject to eligibility requirements. Rewards are non withdrawable bonus bets that expire in seven days. In partnership with Kansas Crossing Casino and Hotel US promotional offers not available in North Carolina, New York, Nevada, Ontario, or Puerto Rico. Gambling problem Call one eight hundred Gambler. Available in the United States call eight seven seven dash eight dash, hope and Why, or text hope and Why to four six seven three six'. Nine In New, york call one eight hundred next step In. Arizona one eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero In, massachusetts one eight hundred bets off In. Iowa one eight hundred NINE a one zero zero two three In Puerto. Rico or visit one eight hundred gambler dot. Net that's www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net In West. Virginia don't. Forget if you haven't signed up FOR betmgm, yet use bonus Code Just baseball and get your fifteen hundred dollars first bet offer. Today Sat Lakes, girls.
Speaker 2: We will see you as a.
Speaker 1: Gunner hang Out, Thursday june, twelfth here on The Just Baseball. Show you got Arm leighton AND i Am Peter apple again three straight episodes with us. Two do you think people are getting tired of?
Speaker 2: US i was thinking about. That, YEAH i wanted to make a joke about like it must be such so nice to get a breather From. Jack but Then i'm, thinking, like, no because that means they gotta hear us for three days in a. Row, Yeah i'd imagine it's probably been enough of, Us.
Speaker 1: So we, apologize but we are gonna try our best here on This joel.
Speaker 2: Try to be somebody else. Today, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: We'll try and be, smart. Measured we won't yell at each. OTHER i gotta have good movie takes this. Time we'll see there's no way that's something yet you'll never. Have but it's okay because you fixed it with the music. Stuff but let's get. After we're gonna try our. Best and what we are doing in this episode is we are talking about underrated. Headlines there are a lot of teams playing really good, baseball a lot of players who are putting up incredible, numbers and not a lot of people are talking about. Them so that's WHAT arm AND i are here to do. Today and it's all brought to you by the Sportsbook born In. Vegas, remember, folks download BET, mgm whether that be On iOS Or, android and use promo code Just baseball to get that first bet offer up to fifteen dollars back in bonus bets if your first wager. Loses right AFTER arm AND i are done recording this, episode we are hopping on a plane to go To, Omaha nebraska for The College World. Series.
Speaker 2: Planes two.
Speaker 1: Planes you're flying From. Florida i'm flying From New. York you got a little bit of A do you not have a?
Speaker 2: Connection do you have a?
Speaker 1: Direct, GUY i haven't even checked. Yet that's WHERE i don't.
Speaker 2: Know there's many directs To, Omaha, nebraska So i'm hoping on two. Planes i'm gonna be told to enjoy two flights and then we'll go from.
Speaker 1: There and, yeah so we're gonna be making our way over. There and and if you want to use promo, code just baseball ON betmgm to place a little bit of dollars on A College World series. Future i'm gonna be coming out with mine. Tonight you can obviously jump on, mine or you could just pick a different. One you ready to get straighted into? It or you got anything On omaha right? Now who are you? Eyeing by the, way for The College World? Series i'm excited. TO i haven't dug into the odds.
Speaker 2: Yet obviously we did the preview of just like the top, prospects AND i know that that's not really always what determines the, winner but there's a pretty start GAP i think between like pro level talent on like A arkansas razorback team even compared to like An arizona or A Louisville so THAT i have caught myself being pulled towards, That but THEN i look at the odds and it's Like arkansas AND lsu are priced at. That SO i don't. Know i'm really excited to hear. It don't spoil. It i'm excited to hear what your pick. Is But i've been really fascinated by how Like Coastal carolina is what tied for the third. Favorite that's. FUN i would love to see them make some. Noise i'm not gravitating anywhere. YET i Think i'm gonna use at least one of the two flights to dig a little bit. Deeper BUT i look at The arkansas. TEAM i know they're the, favorite and it's just it's so hard to poke a hole in that team right. Now BUT i also THINK lsu is a.
Speaker 1: FORCE i love the shot On Coasta, carolina AND i loved what their manager was saying after their, game where people were asking, him is this Is cinderella's story and he was, like stop all, That stop all. That we have like the ninth most wins in college baseball. History we've been To omaha multiple. Times this team won. It they've won it. Right they have this crazy streak of winning series dating Into omaha as, well And i'd have to pull up the, numbers but this team has been. Incredible their pitching staff is out of this. World they can absolutely win, it And i'm glad that, BET mgm and folks all have them as the third best team in this. Tournament this tournament is wide open butt at the same, Time arkansas AND lsu are. Juggernauts and doesn't it always feel, like especially In March, madness in the years that the field is wide, open the favorite wins it and when everyone's thinking about the, favorites someone from wide open makes. It that's how it feels to me that everyone's looking for that Next cinderella story and it'll end up Being arkansas TO. Lsu so you will see my pick coming out very. Soon but it's time to Talk Major League baseball and our first underrated, storyline The Blue. Jays The Toronto Blue jays offense Since may first has been fantastic and they are now the first wild card team in The American. League they rank third and batting average, third and runs third AND obp, fourth AND ops, third AND wrc plus and first in f. War led By Alejandro kirk who has been. Awesome your favorite Player Addison barger of, Course, Vladdie George, Springer Nathan, Lucas, Bobashett Ernie. Clement all of those names have A wrc plus above one point. Fifteen The Blue jays right we're recording On wednesday before they play against The, cardinals but they went Into Saint louis and won the first two games of that series that are going for the. Sweep With Eric lauer on the, mound who's also been awesome for, them The Blue jays are just.
Speaker 2: Rolling it's it's funny BECAUSE i had the one tweet THAT i guess just kind of got to To Blue jays fans About Andre. Samenez it's, LIKE i still can't fathom how they took on that contract and parted with assets to do, It and then since, THEN i think he's actually been swinging it a lot. Better but what's amazing, is like we talked about, it like how valuable is second base, Defense, well if the rest of your lineup is raking a lot more, valuable the problem was like when you had just a glove for a second basement early in the year and the rest of your team wasn't really swinging it like it's, like, well we need offense wherever we can get, it and it's kind of tough to punt a position right. There but right, NOW i, mean you look across that, lineup but you already laid it all. Out but what's amazing to me, is, yeah LIKE i honestly didn't know That Boba schet has already gotten his IS wrc plus backup over one hundred at one. TEN i clearly you couldn't Miss kirk doing what he was. Doing but Even, springer who got off to that like nuclear start to the, season yeah he slowed, down but he's still's playing really. Well so you look top to bottom in this, lineup it's a lot of above average offensive. Production and THEN i do like the, bench Like Miles straw is back to usable. Again i'm so pumped For davis being. Back AND i know he's not playing a, ton But David schneider is absolutely a guy that is an asset off the bench to crush lefts and can plug in at different. Spots Tyler heineman's been the best player on the, planet as you mentioned, before AND i still Think allan Road in like it was a really rough big league. Debut this guy's a good. Player he's going to settle in, eventually AND i think he's starting to even a little. Bit they don't have like the, crazy crazy, firepower but you're seeing a lot of guys take a step. Forward maybe guys that were underperforming last year getting back to where they can. Be and maybe there's some length to this lineup now all of a, sudden if The bargers of the world can keep it, up and.
Speaker 1: It's got to be so refreshing for The Blue jays in their past couple of, games at least in the past, week they get punched in the mouth and then they punch right, back and it's really everybody in this lineup kind of doing their. Part when normally Watching Blue jays games over the past couple of, years there's not a lot of fight in this. Team when they go, down they don't often come. Back you, know when they, win they, Win but there wasn't a lot of that you, know, magic that, grit AND i see it in this. Lineup and speaking about, grit guy with AN ops with two, strikes who leads AN ops when there's two strikes against? Him Alejandro, Kirk.
Speaker 2: YEAH i GOTTA i gotta APOLOGIZE i clown that. EXTENSION i Think jack did, too so make him apologize to OH i will. FANS I i didn't like the. EXTENSION i really. DIDN'T i thought it WAS i didn't Think kirk was the type of player THAT i would want to give that kind of extension. Too BUT i think you look at, it even though the last couple of, years even when he was leaving a bit to be desired, offensively he was still turning in a two three and a two to eight f four because he's defending well and he's receiving so. Well so you imagine if he can get close to what he was doing offensively in twenty twenty, two that's a four win season. There SO i think potentially a little too harsh On, kirk who sneaky also still just twenty. Six, yeah fuck, nuts he debuted at twenty one years. Old i'm, sorry LIKE i was WRONG i think, this and not just because he off to a good start this. Year it kind of forced me to reframe my thought. PROCESS i was just talking about how the offensive barrier is so low to be a regular catcher if you're a decent, catcher And kirk has turned himself into, that SO i, mean it's been cool to see and if you look at the expected, stats he's actually been a little. Unlucky SO i had not known what to do with this, team and you, know it's been difficult comparing them to The. Rays but NOW i think they're separating. Themselves we'll see if they can continue to build on. It but the most fascinating part THAT i keep going back to is you Have Anthony santandre and we're gonna talk a little bit more about him in a, moment And Dalton varshow on THE IL i Mean. Varshow of, course you know he's gonna get up there and he's gonna defend an elite clip at the very least and run into some, homers But santan there like at this, point for the offense to be doing what it's doing without, him you got to feel really good because you have some concern, that, like maybe he comes back and still doesn't play, better but you also have this idea that what if he does, Right SO i think it's it's really encouraging to see them performing without. Him and then so then if he does come back and he struggles still, continuously you know that the offense can weather the. Storm but you also have this idea, That, okay, well if he gets back to anything close to what he was last, year think about where that could elevate this offense even.
Speaker 1: Further just to wrap up on The kirk, part walking nine point two, percent only striking out five point eight. Percent may he's. Hitting he's hitting three ninety three with a one to seventy FIVE wrc plus and he's put up two point oh f war because his defense is the lead on top of. IT i, mean everything is working for. Him we talk about Cal. Rawly we're gonna talk about another underrated catcher, later but, REALLY i, mean we talked About Jeremy pana potentially being the most underrated player in baseball this. YEAR i, mean Is Alejandro kirk not?
Speaker 2: Second he, Might i'm looking at the underlying, data, dude holy, good totally. Good moron a ninety percentile of one oh eight and a hard hit rate of fifty seven. Percent this old muscle amster is ripping, balls.
Speaker 1: Ripping, balls playing great, defense receiving behind the, plate and The Blue jays pitching has also been great as. Well but, yeah dating back or dating, back going back To Anthony santander five, years ninety two and a half, million and he's gotten off to a horrendous, start and he's all obviously been in it as. WELL i was listening to Some Blue jays talk on, YouTube and the hosts on that, SHOW i forget what show it. WAS i just clicked it come. BACK i, KNOW i, KNOW i comed.
Speaker 2: UP i was just.
Speaker 1: Watching, it SO i can't give.
Speaker 2: CREDIT i.
Speaker 1: Apologize but what they were saying is that they think That santander was playing through this injury and really trying to prove it to the. Fans, now, again that was their, guess but the way they broke it, DOWN i was, LIKE i kind of get.
Speaker 2: IT i, mean it's not. Bad, no he's not this. Bad we said he was a yellow flag free, agent but, like come, on, yeah he's a decent. Hitter he shouldn't be this. BAD i MEAN i, COULD i could understand.
Speaker 1: That in twenty one games Since may, ONE i, mean he's hitting one eighty. Six but, really the telltale stat to me is a two eighty six slugging. Percentage, yeah even When santander is not doing, well he's still going to clip a few home, runs you, know every couple of, days, right he only has two home runs in those twenty one games and almost no extra base, Hits like that's Not anthony Sonton. Den even with the yellow. Flag we were more talking, About, yeah the defense is not something that you're going to. Like he's probably not going to hit for a very high. Average he's probably going to strike out a decent, bit but he's still going to slug four sixty to five hundred and give you enough value to make you think this contract isn't that. Bad that WAS i think our view of, it real.
Speaker 2: Walk and that was the. Concerns it was, Like, okay he's got to, hit you, know thirty plus homers to get that ops to the high seven. Hundreds but again thought he could do something close to.
Speaker 1: That and the offense has been leading this, team but they've also gotten some excellent pitching, performances both in the bullpen and the starting, rotation and they have been one of the better pitching staffs in baseball Since may, First, wow and been one of the better bullpens Without Jeff. Hoffman Jeff hoffman Since may first has thrown fourteen, Innings he's got a ten point four to THREE era and another great reliever that they have or at least he's been in the. Past Chad green has also been one of their worst pitchers with a four to seven. Zero But Yarijo rodriguez has found a home in this bullpen in fifteen appearances over nineteen and two, thirds he's got a one to three. Seven Brendan little can basically say the same thing with a one five to. Nine Eric lauer has entered this rotation and dominated to a one six foury E raa in twenty two, innings And Jose brios is Doing jose brio shit and they're the eight innings to a two seven, Seven.
Speaker 2: And they're doing that With Bouten francis basically being a third down puns every single, time And.
Speaker 1: Jeff hoffman even.
Speaker 2: Worse, yeah also time Out Alantro kirk with two. STRIKES i know you said the, ops but he's slashing three point fifty four three ninety, eight four ninety five with two. Strikes he's. Unbelievable he's. UNBELIEVABLE i DON'T i don't. Understand i'm, MIGHT i might just it's peak male. Performance I'm i'm. Sorry Blue Jays toronto. Everything also The Max chercher's thumb once he deems it good to. Go that's he can't. Be he cannot be worse than doubt In. FRANCIS i PROMISE i. WOULD i would guarantee. That and THEN i think at some point this year we're gonna get the the return Of Alec. Manoa that'll be an interesting scenario. There and also it's trickled. DOWN i was ready to jump ship on Our Elvis martinez fully AND i kind of did when we did Our Blue jays. Rankings that guy's been going nuclear basically ever since we put out Our Blue jays. Rankings so even in TRIPLE a Or Elvis martinez showing signs of, LIFE i don't never. Mind actually he showed signs of life and now he's out for his last. SIXTEEN i was about to pull it. Up he had homered four times in three, games and then since then he's oh for his last. Fifteen but he was doing. Stuff Could TREY.
Speaker 1: A savage helped this team this?
Speaker 2: Year, Yes so That's i'm glad you mentioned. That, ALSO i was just catching up With Joey lil brafdo horrible first. Month he has been going nuts and triple as over the Let it's.
Speaker 1: Amazing In toronto right. Now and they were also LIKE jacki even mentioned he was like they built a barrier In, toronto like once you go, there it's a graveyard for other. Teams The Blue jays are one of the best home teams in.
Speaker 2: Baseball it's incredibly. Fast twenty five games for Liw braffito three twenty, six, four twenty, three four eighty five or forty. Three, uh it's a nine oh six oh. Ps so like even some guys that they could potentially move for more pitching if they wanted. To, You, savage, though to answer your, question people might be, like, oh but he started in Low a and like you, know he was there for six. Starts no way they're they're gonna be so bullish that they bring him up to the big. Leags, NO i think you're about to see this thing going to hyper. Drive they wanted to be careful with, You. Savage have him pitch in warm. Weather there's no bigger. GAP i think geographically from one like Low way To High a then Dunn, Eeden florida To, Vancouver. Canada like so they didn't really want, You. SAVAGE i think throwing in the cold early in the, year so far away from the complex so, like, dude you're gonna Dominate HIGH a hitters OR loway hitters the same, thing you might as well just be focusing on yourself and your. Stuff so he made more starts at low way than people would have. Expected then he only needed to make four starts In HIGH a where they're like all, right seen, enough and he's already up in Double SO i think WHEN i wrote up my draft report on, HIM i, SAID i think he could be the first, arm you, know from that draft into the big. LEAGUES i think there's still a chance that he could be one of the first guys up, there AND i wouldn't rule out him getting up there to help them this.
Speaker 1: Year, Interesting so The Blue, jays The Blue jays are freaking.
Speaker 2: Awesome so, Yeah i'm just gonna totally upend EVERYTHING i said. Before maybe they Get Jimmy garcia, back you, Know Nick sandlin in the bullpen as, Well like all of a, sudden they've got some more, options so they're gonna be buyers and.
Speaker 1: They can make the. PLAYOFFS i, mean The American league, stinks it. DOES i, mean you, know it's like one team goes on a little bit of a run and they're automatically one of the best teams in The American. League The ashers are playing great. Baseball they're now the third favorite to win The American League pennant just because they won a few games in a row and they've been playing good. Baseball i'm not trying to take anything away from. Them it's just to show that The American league is so wide. OPEN i, mean nobody in The central outside of The tigers has really taken hold The American League. EAST i, mean The Blue jays are in, second The rays are playing, okay The Red sox are not playing all that, well and we know what's happening with The. Orioles The mariners are on a. Slide The rangers are below The, angels The Blue. Jays The Blue jays might be the first team with the wild. Card they could make some.
Speaker 2: Noise why. NOT i just feel Like i'm just like, AGAIN i feel like The Mike Francis laudhouse clips where it's just like if you just paired WHAT i said like two weeks ago against The Blue jays about The Blue jays against What i'm saying, NOW i just be arguing with. Myself BUT i, mean that's, baseball, though it's so. Fluid, also just to If Blue jays fans are is feeling super, Giddy i'll give you one more positive on our top one. Hundred one of the biggest risers Was argienamala from ninety seven to. FIFTY i think so like it's it's all of a sudden positive times with The Blue jays over?
Speaker 1: Here is it time to Extend Ross.
Speaker 2: Atkins let's not get carried.
Speaker 1: Away get carried away all, Right let's go over to The Chicago. Cubs and when you Think Chicago, cubs you think, offense and you think about a couple of really good starting pitching performances, lately and what you don't think about is the. Bullpen and what have we been talking about all season? Long cubs got to upgrade this. Bullpen that is the one major hole in this. TEAM i think they felt. Disrespected they have been just dominating since Since may, first The Chicago cubs bullpen has a two to FIVE era ranks number one in, baseball one point zero nine whip second In Major League, baseball and they've only blown one save that is the least in. Baseball, again Since may, first rum they have four relievers who haven't allowed a run Since may? First could you guess?
Speaker 2: Them or Since may? FIRST i know it's gotta be Uh Drew. Palmeran's and the only Reason i've kept tabs on him is because Just baseball broke that him signing with The, mariners which he's not even with them anymore this?
Speaker 1: Year is that the best signing of the? Offseason kind of like did they claim?
Speaker 2: Him how they even get?
Speaker 1: Him who reported it? REPORTED i reported.
Speaker 2: The signing The. MARINERS i don't know how how he got to The. Cubs polenty has been. Stupid he's been.
Speaker 1: Stupid he has five, saves he's been, electric but he has allowed to. Run he's got a one point eight eight E ra and fourteen. Innings i'll give you a. Hint two of the guys are former failed, starters and then the other guy is just an old. Left you Keep.
Speaker 2: Chris flexen out, here just Just chriss and.
Speaker 1: Zeros Chris flexen has thrown seventeen, innings he's striking out five per, nine and he's got a ZERO era Since may.
Speaker 2: First you, Know i'm looking at how they acquired each of these guys to the whole. Bullpen it's. All none of them are internal it's free agent in twenty, five free agent in twenty, five free agent in twenty. Four trade twenty, five purchased They so they Purchased Drew palmerance twenty, five like twenty five in a year, Obviously Brad keller free agent twenty, Five Ryan presley trade twenty. Five the only homegrown arm currently in their bullpen that has been acquired outside of the last two years Is Daniel.
Speaker 1: Plancia your two FAVORITE, Gms Jed hoyer And Ross atkins are, geniuses.
Speaker 2: GENUS i Like Hoyer Ross, adkins, well BUT i, mean but the thing, is it's, LIKE i would look at this scenario right, Now oh my, gosh we are so. Fortunate let's let's bolster this bullpin. Up that's so LIKE i just like It's. STILBAR i hate basing that guy IN mlb the. Show it's it's it's a tunneling, nightmare no doubt about.
Speaker 1: It but and he's a tunneling nightmare in real. Life twelve and two thirds no runs. Allowed and that last. Guy so it Was Chris flex And Drew, Pomeranz Caleb thielbar And Brad, keller just the four. Horsemen here's the, problem, though here's support a little water on. This there's one guy in this bullpen averaging more than nine, strikeouts more than a, Strikeout, Perenny what you don't like getting? Outs you're not a fan of grounders and.
Speaker 2: FLYOUTS i prefer my my at least a couple big wiff. GUYS i mean they GOT i mean this is super. Encouraging, Again, daniel revolving door of middle relief. Guys it.
Speaker 1: Is but those revolving door guys are. Awesome, now, yeah like you were, right except the door is not. Revolving they're mainstays and they're. Shoving.
Speaker 2: Yep SO i mean it's it's. WILD i do you think it continues?
Speaker 1: THOUGH i, mean DO i Think caleb Thielbar Drew, Pomeranz Chris flex And Brad keller start allowing rudds? Eventually, NO i. DON'T i think it's gonna be. Incredible, NO i mean they. Are The cubs need to bolster their. Bullpen but in a time where you Lost, Steel shoda is still not back, yet you need them to come through for you in the meantime until you get to the, Deadline like can they withstand the heat Until Jed hoyer is able to go get bullpen. Arms, YES i, do and that's all they need because the offense is so good and the starting rotation is pretty damn. SOLID i, Mean Kate horton is still trying to settle in a little. Bit you See Colin ray start to regress a little. Bit and then WHEN i look at the bullpen and the only guy who hasn't been any good Is Ryan, presley like a guy that they brought in so ALMOST i don't Want Jed hoyer going after like good relievers get the worst guys in the world who are old as.
Speaker 2: Shit they're all like thirty eight thirty seven. Too this reminds me of like twenty Seventeen marlins that people were talking About Marlins fnce for saying, like, oh, yeah you, know the rotation has always been an issue with the yell At, stanton you, KNOW i was doing the Room utah. Teams so they decided to build a super, pen and by super, pen it Was Jeni chizawa and who was horrible in a thirty seven year old brad. Zieglor it turned out to not be a super. Pen BUT i THINK i think this is there's more options. Here there's of these older. Guys there's a lot of, options and then of course they're gonna go get get a leverage arm at some, POINT i. Think but the big part is they needed guys that could even just get them to. LEVERAGE i didn't think they even had that at points going into this. Year so they clearly have, That and and that's a really encouraging aspect of this.
Speaker 1: Whole do you think that The cubs bullpen has the earliest bedtime among any unit in? Baseball very.
Speaker 2: Possible they need to Add kakuchi to that bullpen so to really push it across the finish.
Speaker 1: Line, well, no Isn't isn't he not an early bedtime. Guy he's just when he goes to, bed he's waking up about an hour before the.
Speaker 2: Game when you sleep fifteen, hours you're you're you're going to bed early and you're sleeping in.
Speaker 1: Late it's still one of my favorite. Stories it's since we start, covering since we started doing The Just Baseball, show that you Say kauchi sleeves like twelve to fifteen hours a, Night, well it.
Speaker 2: Was awesome because, like, yeah he struggled today because he only got nine.
Speaker 1: Hours, yeah it's, like what are you A. Toddler it's.
Speaker 2: Sick he's recovering like none, other.
Speaker 1: And he's just coming off a pretty damn good. Performance all, right next one. Up Matt chapman unfortunately got. Injured And Patrick, lyons WHO i think is such a phenomenal, writer he just wrote up The giants Note, book which is a bunch of different notes On, Chapman Willia, damez And Casey, schmidt and he was there to kind of break it. Down So chapman was placed on the ten day injured list for right hand inflammation On, tuesday retroactive To june. Ninth diving back to first base On, sunday he jammed his throwing. Hand but the tough, GUY i, mean he's stayed in the, game but the injury clearly got to a point where he couldn't stomach. It and then Manager Bob melvin said On, tuesday AND i quote from the, article how long it's going to be is still to be. Determined he's going to see Doctor Stephen shin On friday IN. La we'll have a better idea on how far it's going to, be but it could be more than ten. Days not ideal for A giants team that is looking for. Bats but at the same time that great comeback Against colorado On, tuesday and they have won six straight as we are. Recording we'll see if they push it to seven against The rockies. Again Casey, schmidt your guys about to fill. In what do you think when you hear THIS, O.
Speaker 2: Well i'm happy For. Casey the one thing that no one's going to be able to match the defense of A Matt. Chapman but at least what you're gonna plug in a guy at third base who can really pick, it you. KNOW i, mean this is a guy that was a third baseman in college and is so good defensively that they've stuck him at shortstop a lot in his big league career so, far which IS i think something that he didn't have a ton of experience, doing SO i think playing a regular third, base he's going to grade out much better than the overall defensive numbers have probably shown this. Far definitely excited about that side of, things but there's no doubting the offensive hit that they take, there BECAUSE i, MEAN i just look straight To Willia domis AND i, say like it's time to get going, Now like you got to really really get going here because he needs to pick up the. Slack you look across the rest of the. Lineup you Know ramos is going to do his. Thing you Know Jung hooley's going to do his, thing and you Know Wilmer flores is going to give, you you, know solid power here and. There but who else is gonna step?
Speaker 1: Up?
Speaker 2: Right LIKE i know that they moved off Of Lamont, leay is Dom smith gonna be much of a, Difference, like uh, Yes scramski's a league average. Hitter who is going to pick up the? Slack it has to Be Willia Domis and that's WHERE i look. There but then you, KNOW i think you look at A Casey schmidt and just if he can give you a close to the league average offense and pick it well at, third it's gonna help hold it. Down but someone needs to fill in on what was you, KNOW i think some of their best production and one of the few guys in that lineup THAT i think you can you can fear at points from a power.
Speaker 1: Perspective to quantify the slack that The giants are gonna have to pick. Up Since may, First chapman has a one forty NINE wrc plus second on the team To Elliott ramos while leading the team in f war and hitting seven home. Runs he was playing, great and he has just been playing, Great like he's signed with The, giants and you think to, yourself huge, ballpark probably just going to maybe not finish out his, career but probably just take a step back, offensively.
Speaker 2: Kind of be like What aeronato is now a little.
Speaker 1: Exactly but instead he has been one of the best third basement in baseball and then's just continued that this. Year so this is a big. Hole AND i love the point that you were talking About. Adams it has to be. HIM i, mean you signed a huge contract this offseason a couple of months to kind of get yourself. Settled he did hit a big home run On. Tuesday again it's against The, rockies so it's, like but.
Speaker 2: You cannot get him to come back against The rockies or is an evading? DEFEAT i mean The rockies did try and.
Speaker 1: Lose that is.
Speaker 2: Accurate like they remind me of The South park episode where like none of the kids want to play, baseball so they both try to, lose and they're like playing each, other trying to lose against each. Other so they don't have to play baseball. Anymore like that's The.
Speaker 1: Rockies feel like your, Guy Zach Agnes zira is.
Speaker 2: Climbing don't, worry my, Guy we'll lock, in don't you.
Speaker 1: Worry so after the, break we are going to talk about one of the greatest reliever seasons potentially ever and he's on The Colorado. Rockies but before, that let me tell you about our friends At RHYTHM i want to speak to you guys About rhythm DOT. Ai you may have heard me talk about it for a while AS i use them to make all of my projections for MY mlb and MY nfl. Bets it's an app that USES ai to make their own player prop and game, predictions as well as help you make your own. Model so if you're betting baseball this, season you need to check Out rhythm's newest, Feature Power. Trends it's like your advanced stat, dashboard but instead of just looking at expected era or swing, rate it's SHOWING ai detected model patterns where bets have consistently won and have a HIGH roi or return on. Investment let's say strike up props are hitting sixty eight percent of the time when a pitcher has an eighty plus win probability and odds between minus one ten and minus one. Thirty that's a power trend and you can only find them on. Rehethm the models find, It rhythm highlights. It you just tap and bet. Smarter use the link in our episode description to sign up and use Code Just baseball twenty Five All caps Again Just baseball twenty five for twenty five percent off your first month with a seven day free. Trial if you don't like, it just. Cancel BUT i have a feeling that you, won't and we wouldn't tell you about a paid subscription UNLESS i actually use it myself AND i love, it as does my bank. Account, Right so if you want to lock in the lowest price for all, sports use code Just baseball fifty for fifty percent. Off, again It's rhythm Dot. Ai you can find the link in the episode. Description and now our first. Break so before the, break we were talking about How Zach agnes arms And jack's favorite player starting to decrease a little, bit starting to not a great downward. Trend But Jake, Bird Jake Freaking, bird an elite reliever coming off two perfect innings against The giants On, tuesday with five, strikeouts lowering HIS era to one four to. One he has thrown twenty two innings At Coors field this. Year did you see my? Tweet do you know how many earn runs he's allowed at home this? Year?
Speaker 2: NO i didn't see that.
Speaker 1: One what one earned run at? Home two? Runs technically only one of them has been. Earned it's like a zero FOUR, era and it isn't really.
Speaker 2: Last time out two, innings perfect five.
Speaker 1: Case, yeah he was dominant against The giants and it isn't. Luck he's got a two five three EXPECTED. Era will striking out thirty three percent of batters start throwing his slider as his main. Offering opponents are only hitting one fifty nine against, it throwing at forty percent of the. TIME i, mean everybody's going to be calling The rockies to get him at the. Deadline but let's say The rocky don't trade. Him he can be going for. History ARM i went down a rabbit Hole Steve reid in nineteen ninety, five AND i have no idea who that is. Me neither pitched to a two one FOUR era and eighty four innings in The rockies. Bullpen he made seventy one appearances for a two point fifty ONE era, plus which again, REMINDER era plus is graded on a one hundred scale kind of LIKE wrc. Plus it's park. Adjusted it's also era, adjusted so you can compare players across different. Eras Jake bird has a three twenty SEVEN era plus that is two hundred and twenty seven percent better than a league average. Pitcher that mark would be tied for the eighth BEST era plus IN mlb, history and in the twenty first, century the best mark Is Paedro martitez two thousand with a two ninety ONE era Plus because obviously pitching a corps field is really really, difficult and when you justed for the park in the Era Jake bird is legitimately putting up right now one of the greatest pitching seasons we have ever seen in the boot.
Speaker 2: Butt if you if you look at the only home run he's allowed to the one To Matt, chapman it was it was A Grand slam on On may, third that would like it shows four hundred and two feet center, field like if it was at it wasn't At Course, FIELD i would imagine Because i'm looking at it on the map Of Course field and it would have held it obviously what it probably carried more as. Well but, yeah that's. It the only home run he gave up was is a grand slam To Matt chapman ironically to tie a bow on the. Conversation But I'm i'm fascinated on how many times he has struck out like the side and he's had two outings this year where he's pitched multiple innings and struck out. Five that is. Disgusting this, yeah this is this is really. Fascinating how much control does he? Out they should just extend him, Now, like if you found a guy that can pitch, there give him a ten year. Deal he's twenty, nine give him The bogarts. Deal just a two million Aav let's See Jake bird spa track's what's the contract situation here for my? Guy three more years of control after this. ONE i, Mean i'm sure teams are gonna be calling. Left oh Yeah themage just hold on to.
Speaker 1: HIM i kind of want him to hold on to. HIM i want to shoot he make.
Speaker 2: History, yes, yeah because that it would be harder to maintain that. Era plus, also they held on To Jacob stallings last year at the deadline when he was playing really well and then so that they could resign him and bring him, back and then they just released. Him welcome To Rockies, baseball.
Speaker 1: BABY i know you Mentioned. Bogarts we have a couple other topics to get. To do you want to talk about him for a little bit or do you want to save that for more of a deeper dive next?
Speaker 2: Episode deeper dive next, episode BECAUSE i want to go deeper into. That it is. Fascinating there's a quick teaser on. That it's just Like bogart's he's against ninety four fastball ninety four plus he has an ops below five, hundred put an in zone contact rate of ninety six, percent and a ninety Percent Alex vossie one hundred and. Six so some people might, say, oh, well then it's gonna get. RIGHT i don't, know, actually because somehow still the contact quality is. Bad SO i need to dive deeper into. This but it basically seems like the harder he hits the, ball the lower the launch angle. Goes so it's just like this horrible tipping. Point But I'm i'm excited to dive deeper into that and hopefully he can get right because.
Speaker 1: You're saying the harder it's it's on the. Ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically the harder he hits the, ball the more straight into the ground it. Goes and then high the higher the launch, angle the softer the. Contact so when you hear one oh, five that's just on the. Ground so it's not really helping. Him, no, yeah, yeah it's not.
Speaker 1: Happening so we'll do a deeper dive into that. Later anything else On Jake bird greatest reliever maybe, ever.
Speaker 2: That definitely is an underrated.
Speaker 1: Story, also how About Steve, REID i, mean don't like two point. FOUR i was looking at Best rockies relievers. EVER i was, like oh, Yeah Houston, Street Rafael Betton, court these guys are pretty. Good none of them have been even close To Jake bird this. SEASON i mean it's, early, right we're recording Got jude. Eleventh but it's. Fun it's fun to look at these types of things that just keep tracking him because on potentially the worst team ever in all professional, sports they could have just this diamond in the rough who while the rest of the bullpen arms are giving up nine runs and the defense isn't helping, Him he's just dominating and he's not even allowing the defense to hurt him because he strikes out. Everybody it's actually, Crazy it's. Incredible all, Right let's move on to another lesser Known arm who's also, Shoving Shane smith of The Chicago White sox and his two three seven Era it's thirteenth among all, starters coming off of six, inning one run performance against The astros where The White sox. Won and now The White sox have a winning record In june against The, tigers The boys.
Speaker 2: Or the hat? Today, SORRY i think the pope was wearing A White sox hat.
Speaker 1: Today it's coming up All White, sox. Baby, yeah winning record In june again against The, Tigers, roles And. Astros But i'm, curious because you, know you're evaluating these guys as, prospects And Shane smith is new to the. Scene did you see this? COMING i, mean it was got to be impossible to see this coming when evaluating him as a.
Speaker 2: Prospect just title this, Episode arm Is. WASHED i didn't even have. HIM i didn't even have him in My rule five, preview AND i should have because he went first, obviously but, like he just wasn't one of the top. ARMS i legitimately remember getting to the bottom of, it being, like there's a few other. ARMS i was a guy they probably could get. SELECTED i don't need to write up. ANYMORE i wrote up like twenty. Plus the crazy thing About Shane smith is what would you say his best?
Speaker 1: Pitches he doesn't. LIKE i wouldn't say that he has the best. PITCH i think they all just kind of work well.
Speaker 2: Together, yes so that's part of it, where, yeah you just have this arsenal cross the board guys like. That one fastball needs to be pretty. Good the fastballs ticked up a full mile per, hour actually closer to one point five from where it was at in the minor leagues last. Year he didn't even have a change up last year that he really relied on at. All he almost never threw. It so a guy that like is going to attack you with four different, offerings, well the fastball wasn't as good and he didn't even have that fourth, offering and then he has just totally adjusted the breaking balls to where they're they're looking completely. Different but the CHANGEUP i think has been huge for. Him he's throwing at like twenty two percent of the time and opponents are hitting one to eleven against. IT i think from like a production, standpoint you could maybe argue that the change up is his best pitch and he didn't even have it last, year so that that has been a huge aspect of, this this whole. Thing but then you, know throwing the slider about three ticks harder is, crazy like three full ticks. Harder and THEN i don't know where he went somewhere like he, went whether it was maybe The White sox And Brian, bannison which like that's the one THING i will give The White sox credit. For they do get their arms, Right, like at least they do seem to develop arms a little bit better than everything. Else whether it was The White sox or Drive line or wherever the hell he, went he definitely went to a pitch lab of some sorts and just like redefined his entire. Arsenal and it's it's night and. Day it's really cool to.
Speaker 1: SEE i, mean he's a twenty five year old who's six foot three two and forty. POUNDS i, mean this is a building block for The White Sox and you, know when you're writing up their, system what do you think the rotation looks, Like let's say twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Seven, well it's interesting because they just fast Tracked Grant, taylor WHO i you, know he was gonna be on the top of one hundred, list just fell out of the top one hundred because of the move to the. Bullpen but they moved to the bullpen and he's throwing one hundred and. Two but ride and like it could be kind of This Mason miller starter kit type of situation, there so you move him. There it's been a frustrating year from the two lefties when you'll Get Noah schultz's has not been as good as you'd hope he's been. Fine And Hagan, smith you, KNOW i think he's dealing with injury and it was obviously really rough from a strike throwing perspective. BEFORE i still think you bake those guys into the conversation as soon as next, year you figure they can get right that rotation with A Shane, smith who you need that like, consistency, RIGHT i think you need like a higher floor guy when you have the higher steiling guys that you're mixing in. There Davis martin looks like he can potentially be another Ending zeter for.
Speaker 1: THEM i wonder THEN i think you wouldn't look at the, Creator Davis. Martin they could Trade Davis. Martin, yeah he's twenty.
Speaker 2: EIGHT i, honestly with the emergence Of Shane, SMITH i don't hate that idea at. All you move, him BUT i think you look at the rotation in the, future It's Hagan smith hopefully in. There there is the bullpen, risk but The Noah schultzen there as, Well like that is a fun rotation that can get strong pretty. Soon you're gonna Get Drew thorpe back off OF. Tj you hope that wilcome And gonzalez starts throwing more, strikes but they have a lot Of if it doesn't work out in the, rotation they have great upside as, relievers so they're going to just have a lot of. Arms and THEN i think is really.
Speaker 1: Exciting And, Taylor i'm Sure White sox fans listening to, this like their the hairs on their forms just stood up a little bit when you Said Mason miller starter, kit and it is A Mason miller starter. Kit the guy throws. Gas BUT i am, curious AND i even Saw Elijah evans post this On. Twitter would you rather have a lockdown leverage, reliever WHICH i think he can. Be, LIKE i don't Think elijah's overstepping that this stuff is outrageous or potentially a high risk number two starter just because this stuff is so, good but you don't know exactly how it's going to transition to five to six innings every. Night, yeah they have interesting decisions to, make but it's the first time in a while where they have irons in the.
Speaker 2: Fire. Yeah, well and it could be like that CROW i was talking about it With elijah, actually like it could be that crochet path where, Like, okay you've got the reliever, now and then if you think that the man has come long, enough you can then maybe bring him back into the. Rotation my concern is that there's a lot of effort in the. DELIVERY i noticed that even WHEN i saw him in the airs on a fall, league AND i have a really high confidence interval in him being a good leverage ON i can see the number two. Upside but with the confidence interval, dips even just on the pitching ability on top of the fact that you can, pound then some injury risk as well that goes with, That AND i can kind of understand the relief side of. Things now in the short term and just getting him up there and then maybe they feel like that can help him eventually get back into the. Rotation but at FIRST i was a little bit, apprehensive but the MORE i just continue to watch, HIM i can understand the delivery kind of screams Reliever and if you're getting, YEAH i, Mean Mason miller was a guy, that like they had to make that decision to move him to the bullpen right because of some injuries and also just BECAUSE i think wanting to get the most out of. Him and it's clearly helped mitigate the injuries and clearly it's turned him into a more valuable. Asset so that's obviously the highest end, outcome but if it's anything close to that and you have a higher confidence interval of that, HAPPENING i can understand the.
Speaker 1: Move let's move over To Will. Smith so we talked about on THE La dodgers of, course talked about some underrated. Storyline so that's what we've been doing this entire. Episode and you may Think Will smith, underrated but have you has anyone checked in On Will smith outside Of dodger, Fans because he's the sixth best hitter in, baseball AND i feel like nobody.
Speaker 2: Cares, yeah that's a good. POINT i don't hear anything about. IT i honestly didn't even realize he was that.
Speaker 1: Good he's hitting three twenty with a one sixty THREE wrc plus and a nine to twenty six. Ohps he's got the highest walk rate of his career at fifteen. Percent he's hitting the ball harder than ever, before incredible numbers against breaking pitches when he's known to be a fastball, hitter and another interesting, stat pulling flyballs at the lowest rate of his, career which you wouldn't expect for a guy who's putting up his best offensive season to. Date and this is a great owing trend now With Will smith That i've been incredibly impressed. With and that's why you, know everyone's stamping Col rawley is the best catcher in, baseball and how could you not he. Is BUT i just always want to continue to Put Will smith in these categories BECAUSE i feel like he improves on something every. YEAR i remember When Will smith first came, up he destroyed. Velocity the harder you, threw the harder he hit the. Ball breaking balls would get him, though and, defensively he was a work in. Progress wasn't receiving the ball very, well not a great, ball, yeah and they were stealing on him all the. Time and then the defense started to improve and right now he's an above average. Receiver he's got a good pop time as, well now grading out wise. Metrically not a great, blocker we'll. See but the main point of What i'm trying to say is that Will smith improves year over. Year and this is another improvement for Will smith because he's always crushed, fastballs and year over year he's gotten better against breaking. Balls but this, year, arm do you have the numbers pulled up about how prolific he has been against off speed. PITCHES i just remember this from doing the research. Before he's sitting over four hundred against changeups and.
Speaker 2: Splitters so what's interesting, is you, know you mentioned the airpole side of, things and like people always talk about how air pole is king and, LIKE i could do a WHOLE i could do a whole episode on. THAT i was actually talking about it in the discord a little bit as to like why it can be really helpful for guys and also it can be something that is a give and take, right BECAUSE i think for guys that are on the low end of contact rates who could have Beat Ron, armstrong you want to get the most out of the times that you are making. Contact if you're not putting up a leade a lead to lead exit, velocities you want to have a really high air pole because the times that you are making, contact you wanted to leave the yard or have a high expected. Slug on the flip, side if you're a guy that's hit over, power but it's way skewed towards hit over, power like the ray evs aren't that. Great being able to pull the ball in the air consistently is going to help you slug more than the eggs of velocities would. IMPLY i Like isak perettis. Right so that's why you have two guys on opposite ends of the hit tool spectrum that are you know and approach spectrum that are both benefiting from. Airpole but if you're somewhere in the, MIDDLE i think it can sometimes be detrimental to to pursue it because if you are really trying to do that and you're you, know above average hit above average, power and its kind of the above above average across the. Board that desire to get to airpole can can cause you to be in and out of the zone a little bit more than you, know maybe you would have initially. Been AND i think you're seeing A Will smith now who is maybe giving up a little bit of the game slug if at, all in exchange for staying on pitches, longer maintaining his, direction and being able to use the whole. Field and that's why against secondaries he's hitting three sixty, four seventy, seven five seventy. THREE i basically just queued up everything that's not a fast ball and a. Sinker it's a thy fifty one Ohp because, again AGAIN i think he's able to stay on the ball, longer his path is PROBABLY i, think more in the zone earlier and. Later and at the same time he's still hitting fastballs pretty, well BUT i think in a world where you're seeing fastballs less than, ever it was a really smart adjustment By smith to be able to account for hitting secondary stuff, better because, yeah you mash, fastballs but you're seeing less and less fastballs In Major League baseball every single, Year so how do you level yourself up by crushing everything else that you're gonna see more.
Speaker 1: Of that was a fantastic. Breakdown and you know what it makes me think, TOO i, mean beyond the ten year contract that he, SIGNED i, Mean Dalton rushing has, gone.
Speaker 2: What do you do with? HIM i have no.
Speaker 1: IDEA i mean you're, like you cannot Take Will smith out of the catcher.
Speaker 2: Spot you just.
Speaker 1: Can't and you're contractually obligated to do it, Anyway so even if you wanted, to you're paying him all this. MONEY i, Mean Dalton rushing could be ANN vp candidate and he still wouldn't get this Because Will smith is legitimately AN mvp. Candidate. Yeah so it's which makes me think he's getting traded for a picture of the deadline and probably a big.
Speaker 2: One it's it's it's Giving Michael. Bush it really is like where you, know he's just playing so sporadically, rushing and you know he. Struggled he has struggled eleven, games he's punched out twenty. Times but it's so hard when you're playing every few days and you just pop in there and you're also still trying to just acclimate to catching at the big league. LEVEL i think there might be a point where they, say is this the best thing to do For Dalton? Rushing and if end up sending him back to Trip, Away, like, yeah just move that guy because that could be a guy that gets you a, major a major, piece no doubt about. It he could be one of the best prospects available on the trade.
Speaker 1: Market quick side note you Mentioned Michael. BUSH i saw this tweet yesterday From Joe underscore obvious AND i, QUOTE i went down the rabbit hole to Compare Anthony rizzo's first seven undred dead bats as The Chicago cub Versus Michael bush's first seven hundred dead bats as A Chicago, cub and the comparison is kind of. Crazy four point five war For, rizzo four point seven For Michael. Bush rizzo leads in, hits But bush leads in, homers and they both have a one eighteen. Ops Plus rizzo has this slight lead in slug But Michael bush has a HIGHER. Obp now it is different Because rizzo was twenty two to twenty three when he started with The cubs And bush is twenty six twenty, five so there's a few years. There but to see, that, like if you are A cubs, fan remember we just talked, about don't get so Upset cubs fans about The Michael bush. Trade you potentially have your next To Anthony, rizzo which is.
Speaker 2: Crazy and then people would, say, like, oh, well he's sheltered from, lefties but, like who.
Speaker 1: Cares he's facing right he's eighty percent of. Games like it's gonna play one hundred and war thirty games right, There he's gonna play one hundred and thirty to one hundred and forty games this year and be like a really good first. Baseman LIKE i don't care if they shelter him against.
Speaker 2: Lefties, YEAH i think they should just let him go most of the.
Speaker 1: Time, yeah, sure let him.
Speaker 2: Go, yeah, like let him, play let him play left on the, left see see what he can. Do he's gonna be good enough against righty's and then righties will come out of the. Bullpen but, YEAH i, MEAN i think it's a great. Point and he he. Is he's also a very underrated player in the game right, now especially because that offense is so potent you top to bottom, that you, KNOW i think you can overlook him a little. Bit he's hitting in sometimes a six hole or sometimes a seven, hole which is. NUTS i know he's hitting clean up a lot of the year, early but now they've had him more in the six five to six, hole it's easy to forget that this guy is a, well well above average big league Bad.
Speaker 1: Also just to wrap up On Will, smith don't you think it's appropriate to add him to? This like nobody's talking about?
Speaker 2: Him What Will? Smith? Yeah, yeah it. Is actually nu's how little shine he's. Getting, like where does he rank In? War i'm not.
Speaker 1: SURE i didn't look At. WAR i just. Looked, plus he's got to be really.
Speaker 2: High dialing it up right now Because i'm, LIKE i know that you're loaded with with just studs across that, team but you, know, yeah he's nineteenth In. War it's funny right next To Alejandro. Kirk BUT i, mean, offensively a team that's loaded with hitters to be that, impressive it feels like it's not being talked about much at.
Speaker 1: All next, Up Andrew, abbott AND i literally wrote down To Andrew abbott is The. Messiah he's just been Unbelievable tuesday against The, guardians he there were a complete game three hitter with five k's first career, shutout and it was his second time facing The, Guardians so there was some familiarity there and it just did not. Matter he lowered HIS zra to one to eight. Seven opponents are hitting one eighty four against. Him he's got a whip at zero ninety, seven and he's got the second lowest hard hit rate in baseball among pitchers with at least sixty. Incs and what makes this even more impressive arm he's pitching A Great american small. Park, yep guess what HIS era is at?
Speaker 2: Home, well it's gotta be sub two two two.
Speaker 1: Seven.
Speaker 2: OKAY i was gonna, say, like it's gonna be something just, disgusting like two two seven At Great. America that's gonna be an insane E ra. Plus it's.
Speaker 1: Incredible, Yeah i'm sure if we queued UP era, plus he's got to be near the. TOP i mean he, is you, know and he's working with so many different. Pitches there's deception in his. Delivery but, REALLY i, mean which shines at the Top With Andrew, abbott he's the greatest Pitcher i've ever seen with runs on. BASE i, mean it's obviously that's. Hyperbole he's. NOT i would have to go back and look at all The dubbers he's up, there he's up. THERE i, mean this guy is a. Wizard, like he doesn't have elite. Stuff he's not striking everybody. Out but in terms of a guy who knows how to get, out there's a short, list And Andrew abbot is on.
Speaker 2: It when on opponents are hitting one fifty, one two thirty, two two fifty six against, him it's crazy seven, Ops.
Speaker 1: It's, incredible and you, know it's so. Funny it's, like how is he jamming guys with ninety? FOUR i MEAN i was watching that guard Two, yeah ninety two. EVEN i mean it's like These i'm, watching, LIKE i, Mean Jake frayley AND. Tj friedel did have incredible catches in this. Game that definitely did Help Andrew.
Speaker 2: Abbott, oh but that's what he. Does he roots him. On it's Like Tom brady screen passes jamming.
Speaker 1: Guys the change up nobody can. Touch the slider looks really. GOOD i mean when you look at the. REDS i, Mean nicolodola is a good example of someone who LIKE i, mean.
Speaker 2: You, KNOW i get it because he's funky ast.
Speaker 1: Shit, no BUT i gotta be careful BECAUSE i have asked For elie de La cruz to be, traded not, actually but that is now a running bit on our, show Like nicolodola might have to get. Traded his numbers That Great American ballpark are. Horrific, yeah he's got like AN era over five at. Home and this has been a multiple season trend here right on the road For nickolodola was like one point. Three he's outrageous requested, trade but that just goes to show it's really hard to pitch in this, ballpark and especially For Andrew abbott with con assistant runners on base and a flyball pitcher and a flyball, pitcher he's a thirty one.
Speaker 2: Percent ground ball right and no one's leaving the yard against him In Great American. Ballpark it's.
Speaker 1: Incredible, yeah he's so Good eddie underrated story and again he's another guy where he's fun to watch because it's. Quick it's just bang bang. BANG i mean it's Not, scoobale but it's almost like a poor Man schooble in terms of throwing, strikes working quick and getting you through. Innings, Obviously school is just so outrageously, amazing but it, is you, Know school's one hundred with the fastball Ed rabbits ninety three school's best pitch to change, up so Does Edge. Rabbit he's not schoobl but he's if.
Speaker 2: You squint your. Eyes what's amazing is he actually pitches to flyball contact more at. HOME i wonder if hitters are just so used to like Being Great American ballpark and seeing pitchers try to, evade you, know contact in the, air that it almost catches them off. Guard like the fact that he has a twenty five percent ground ball right At Grant American ballpark this year and he's only allowed four home runs and allowed a slug of three sixty. Two he's not afraid of the short. Porches it's it's not a concern for. Him AND i love that. Confidence and that's WHY i brought.
Speaker 1: Up you, mentioned you, know guys getting kept caught off guard and maybe they haven't seen him. BEFORE i, mean this is the second time he faced the. Guardians if you throw a dieiting shut, out, NOW i know it wasn't In Great American, ballpark but, still, yeah this guy's been both FREAKING i need to.
Speaker 2: The, cubs like doing it to The cubs as, well and he had to face them back to back like, twice facing The cubs back to back and combining for twelve and two thirds innings of one run. Ball he's clearly got something going.
Speaker 1: On and The reds are hot right. NOW i think it once five in a. Row at the time of, recording, YEP i need. It we had eighty plus wins and plus one. THIRTY i was literally on the field Of Great American ballpark Telling reds fans you. Know it was so disappointing about. That do you know What the most common thing people came up to me and said when we were, yeah don't do, It you're gonna be. Wrong they weren't even, like, yeah, man jomp on The reds, bandwagon we would be. Great they're all, like what are you?
Speaker 2: Doing what you mean? Money why would you do? THAT i was really.
Speaker 1: DISAPPOINTED i mean they were super, nice but they were just like that BET's gonna. Lose hell, no we gotta win eighty. Plus we gotta win eighty, games where a couple of games over five. Hundred right, Now reds were. Rolling it's a little bit of, confidence right Or AM i the only?
Speaker 2: One are you even on the? Bandwagon not, really but damn, it, NO.
Speaker 1: I am Go reds all? Right, last but certainly not. LEAST i, MEAN i THINK i post about this guy every day every. Day Is Denzel clark already the best outfielder in baseball? Defensively eight outs above average in seventeen, games AND i want to put that in. Perspective Saddan, rafaela The Red, sox one of the best defensive outfielders in, baseball has ten outs above average in sixty four. Games Pet K armstrong Because cubs fans as soon as they heard, that they might have even turned off the PODCAST pca has eleven outs above average in sixty seven. Games Victor, scott who's up there for his. DEFENSE i know he's been better, offensively but that's his calling. Card he has eight outs above average in sixty two. Games Julio rodriguez has been incredible defensively this. Year he's got eight and sixty five games ar. Him Denzel clark has eight outs above average in seventeen. Games and he made one of the best Catches i've ever. Seen but it's so funny because he makes catches that are a little bit easier every. Game AND i think he's got two robberies on the. Season he had this one catch where he he ran it felt like he was playing right field and he ran to left center and crashed into the. Wall still came up with, it walked off the range on this, guy it's. CRAZY i, mean he can't hit. Right he's gonna fill one percent strikeout, right he'saitting what seventy? Seven but the reason they're putting him out there is because he IS i, mean he looks LIKE i still go back to, it like When buxton is gliding around the, outfield that's just my favorite thing to. Watch this is, better HE'S i, mean they're. Longer it's it's.
Speaker 2: Incredible there may not be a bigger dichotomy between like offensive output and war Than Denzel clark if he gets a full. Season, yeah it's it's crazy BECAUSE i, KNOW i do think the bat could get to a point where it's decent. Enough you, know over some, TIME i didn't think he was ready for a big league call, Up BUT i mean they must have just been seeing what he was doing defensively out there and saying like this guy could could help our pitching staff significantly just by his ability to go get. IT i don't know If i've ever seen eight out's above average and one hundred and thirty four innings like that is that is absolutely. Insane like eight outs above average in seventeen in games essentially means he's making a game altering catch every other, Game, yeah and making a lot of others that make a you, know positive impact in. Between like it, is it is really remarkable to watch him do. This AND i think he had like he may have had like a throwing air or something like that mixed in. There like that that probably. Docked is the defensive runt safe at the very, Least like this is a guy THAT i would. LOVE i hope he can get it going a bit with the bat because if, he if he plays a full, season we might see the best defensive season of the stack Gass. Air AND i don't think that's crazy to. Say i'm very, curious LIKE i want to watch what makes him better so far this year than like a Pet karam. Shrunk pek karamshrunk is stuff on the Field i've never really seen in terms of the jumps and the closing speed and finishing. Ability but Maybe karcas just had more opportunities so far because the pitching staff gets teed off on a little. Bit but that's part of, it, Right SO i am really fascinated AND i want to do like a video dive kind of comparing these. Two BUT i we thought nobody would be on par WITH, pca AND i think it's very clear That clark.
Speaker 1: IS i MEAN i could speak to that a little bit when watching These a's, Games Like Denzel clark went after all of his incredible. Catches when you're watching the live, broadcast they, like do the film of his. Jump it's, immediate and if we're talking about sprint speed closing, speed he is lightning fast and he's so. Long he looks like a wide receiver out there playing center. Field, WELL pca looks like legit center. Fielder this guy looks like he was planted in our game from a different. Sport he is gliding and getting to balls Like Julio.
Speaker 2: Jones, yeah he's got.
Speaker 1: The, size he's got the. Speed he can. Jump that's WHAT i think makes him so. Impressible, WELL pca is so, fast his jumps are so, good and he is so. SMOOTH i Think Denzel clark shares all of those, attributes but it's in a six'.
Speaker 2: Four, body yeah and he.
Speaker 1: Can launch but then you watch him hit and, you're like please just stay up in BASEBALL so i could watch you play. Defense, MORE yeah i.
Speaker 2: Really, HOPE so, i mean he hits the, ball hard it's just he's got to hit, the ball so it's it's it'll be cool to see those two just kind of battle it out over over the course of the year If if clark is, able to, you know just just. Stay UP and i think he's gonna buy himself a lot of time with the stick if he continues to defend. This way are you are.
Speaker 1: There stats that look at jump because they have.
Speaker 2: That in in. In stackcast you just gotta, like dig dig around a little. Bit MORE but pc jumps.
Speaker 1: ARE stupid, i mean. He's sad raphael is. INCREDIBLE too, i like how do?
Speaker 2: You separate like what what do these guys do with? THIS way i literally do think that the biggest separator right Now for clark, is opportunity and he has every single opportunity. HE'S had i mean that's part of, It though like closing the.
Speaker 1: Plays out a's bullpen has a seventy or right since my first like they're. Starting pitching his horse.
Speaker 2: Got his back to. The infield there's a lot of law a.
Speaker 1: Fly, balls actually think, about IT, for pca every reliever as A, zero lr he's not really getting that. Many, opportunities yeah that's actually a.
Speaker 2: Good. POINT yeah I Mean denzel clark is basically has his back to the infield every every, Other play, so yeah that probably plays a part.
Speaker 1: IN it i do WONDER what pca stats would be if you just let him play his sixty seven games to, The, ages like what do you have twenty outs above average? Right now so what anything else before?
Speaker 2: We go THAT'S all. I got the only OTHER thing i wanted to mention, was, Just Uh. Anthony siegler guy's gonna guys gonna get a big. LEAGUE opportunity, I, Think yeah LIKE why i had to because underrated storyline that. We talked we've talked about him a little bit earlier when we did like the, prospect report but the first, round pick which we've talked. About it of course he didn't like to pick at. The time but by just a fascinating aspect. Of this he was a switch in and catcher who was never really good at, any level got a little bit better last. Year offensively that brought his ops in his career in the minor weekues up over. Seven hundred yankees let him go as a as a, you know minor league. Free agent he signs With, the brewers And the brewers sign Him TO. Triple a last year he had. Stopped catching he was only playing second base, Right really and now With the brewers they have him catching a little. Bit again he's, playing second and he's playing third and even played a. Game Short what i'm floored, BY is i don't Know if i've ever seen a guy with such a high average ex of velocity compared to His max so his max eggs velocity this year's one, oh seven but HIS average exi velocity is. Ninety two that tells me he's just finding the barrel every. Freaking time right Now IN, triple a he's hitting three, oh seven four, forty four five. Twenty one they may have like this like infield Version Of david frye on their hands here With, the brewers AND, like i it's it's been pretty cool to just watch him a GUY that i thought pretty much his career could, be toasts, You KNOW like i thought just there wouldn't be much else in terms, Of OPPORTUNITY like i didn't really see a way that he would be able to hit his way to the to the, big leagues and he's gonna get. Called up it's gonna be a pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool STORY so i think the reason that arm is bringing, THIS up i mean he wants To Highlight. ANTHONY siegler i. Get It But. ANTHONY siegler i remember WATCHING my tv during the DRAFT and i say, to myself we drafted who and they're showing highlights. Of him it's like of, him juggling like not even. Playing baseball it's like juggling and talking about, both arms how we can throw with. Both Arms and, i'm like but he's. A catcher what do. YOU mean i don't need him to throw left handed as. A catcher and they put up the stats he like didn't even hit all that well in high school. PRETTY good i, was like what are we talking? About here he was our first. Round pick then he goes To the miners and he, was Terrible and i'm, thinking aboutself what were? We doing goes To. The brewers now he hits, everything hard and he's playing second and short and third and catch.
Speaker 2: Chasing at a fifteen. Percent clip everything's in. The air it's like, it's Legit like i'm bringing up because like it's it, looks legit it's a. Cool Story so i'm just if you're in a really deep. Fantasy league if they continue to get poor production from. Third base he started to play third a little bit, more lately it, may happen.
Speaker 1: So he's Taken Over, caleb durbin Another. Former yankee.
Speaker 2: He may he May if derbin doesn't get it.
Speaker 1: Going soon so that'll do it for this Episode Of The Just. Baseball show hopefully everybody enjoyed the best way, to support rate And, Review Spotify apple podcasts, five stars and if you would be so kind as to leave a written review as well telling us what you are enjoying about, the show as well, as, subscribing liking commenting. On YouTube ARM and i got to get out of here because we are Flying, To omaha nebraska For The College, world series so you'll see plenty of content, surrounded there so make sure also because we're gonna be giving out plenty of college. Baseball content but our guys at On the clock follow them on, social media check out. Their podcast they do such a, Good Job, Tyler jared. They're phenomenal make sure to go check them out on social media at on. The clock one can find it on X, on instagram on TikTok. As well to make sure to go give them a follow For, Arm Lighten I'm. Peter apple we will see You on friday and, with that thank. You everybody