Speaker 1: I'm Sorry's Maxie and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 1: You're still Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Park's Casino.
Speaker 2: Fact Double Oh Baby Love chab to beat on the Backgun against Weaponyonni Powerlaups of.
Speaker 4: The seventy six Ers postgame show right now on ninety seven to five.
Speaker 2: The fanatic Sixers came in twenty eighth in scoring in the NBA, averaging one hundred and six point two points per game. Tonight, a season low eighty six. They only had fourteen points in the fourth quarter, and a reminder, it was a one point game. You know, it's not like the Magic was up double digits, and you know, the fourth quarter wasn't it was totally in play. It was seventy three, seventy two, and the Sixers are outscored in the final frame twenty five to fourteen. There were times in the game you just you didn't like the energy, the spirit, the fight, and it was there at times, but not through forty eight. And that's been an issue for the Sixers during the start as they fall.
Speaker 1: Now for the.
Speaker 2: In the ballgame, they still have two wins on the season, and so through twelve games now they're two and ten. And it bead was like I said, Joelle looked better, but in the end he was five of fifteen. Just in the second half, he did not seem to have the jump or you know, like he did not look that great.
Speaker 1: I'll put it that way. Matt Murphy is back.
Speaker 2: Our postgame coverage is brought to you by Parks Casino. And so the Sixers in front of seventeen thousand, eight hundred and forty three in Orlando fall by the final of ninety eight eighty six. Murph, What say you.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, we've talked about how Orlando is still undefeated at home, Tom, and just what's the sense of why they have that type of home court advantage. What did you see from the Wagner brothers as they kind of ignited this thing in the third quarter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Franz Wagner is the standout. He had thirty one, but Mo Wagner he had fourteen, And in that third quarter I thought he was the guy. He made a bunch of hustle plays, he got the crowd involved. They clearly he's like a fan favorite. They feed off of him. And you know, he made a number play getting a to a loose ball rebound, getting down the lane, he made a real nice spin play, and you know he was playing with the energy and the fire that you'll kind of want to see, and in a game that was totally up for grabs, he was the guy. And he's not even close to being the best player out on the floor and his brother is He is the guy for them right now in the absence of Ben Carro. They're running their offense through him, and they set him up in ISOs from the top. They're trying to put him in screen roll situations to force a switch, and you know, he's got an array he can be. Speaking of Franz Wagner, he can be a player. You know, maybe not with the physicality, as coach Nurse talked about pregame with a Ben Carrow, but he can score a number of ways, including outside. He had five threes in the game, and the sixers. I don't know if you know, they didn't have any answer for him, but he was very good and those two guys were quite impactful in that third quarter.
Speaker 3: His stat line, we talked about the shooting being a little bit of a flash in the pan from beyond the arc for Franz Wagner, who finishes with the game highs of thirty one points, eleven rebounds, and six assists. But it's a very similar stat line to what he's put up without Palo recently. If you look at his last five or six, he's twenty seven plus points in five of those six games, with similar rebound and assist totals, So in forty one minutes tonight, he's kind of done. He did what he had been doing. The Sixers fall to the Magic ninety eight eighty six in Orlando. It was an Emirates NBA Cup game. Paul George and Joel Embiid returned to the lineup. It was also Jared McCain's second career start. He started with George and Embiid and he finished with twenty nine points, but he foiled out with a handful of minutes still remaining in this game.
Speaker 1: How did that happen? And what did you see before that? Well? What what had you know?
Speaker 2: The foul was again they got an ISO where Wagner got Jared on him and had a whole wing. He was on the right wing, right by the Sixers bench. And you know, these players are so smart, speaking of all NBA players, but Franz Wagner knew he was going to be able to drive and initiate contact and get the foul call on on Jared. But otherwise Jared was really good. You know, that was that was a tough call, but it was legit, and you know, Jared was really good. Like I said, like that, you can't pay a bigger compliment than this. But when he was not in the game, your overall thought was get him in the game, you know. And I'm not saying like coach, but I mean because he was that he was bringing the energy and he felt like he was the guy that was was giving the Sixers the best chance. And Matt I got a little bit of a bullet. I just thought of a positive. So they're the Sixers pretty clear. I mean, you would think they're not going to Vegas, right, Like, they're zero and two and they already lost to these two teams, so they're not gonna If they were to tie with the Magic or the Knicks, those two teams would win, right. So, like Coach said this, this was kind of like a tie breaker, So I mean like a musk game.
Speaker 1: So like there's a breathing.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look at the schedule when it came out in August, you're like, what is.
Speaker 1: Up with this? Here?
Speaker 2: All these days off? So they're gonna play two games. One will be at the Center and one will be on the road, right, yep, So there's gonna be three or four days maybe on either side of those games where the Sixers are going to have a break in the schedule. Now you've been going at it since September, so you need a little breathing room. You need a little time away from the game, time away heel up a little bit. But mini camp by that time, Maxie should be healthy, right and be like start over that. That's my point, right there is like like reboot, like part two. Here we go twenty four to twenty five season take two. You hear me, I hear you. That's a good, great point.
Speaker 3: If fans look at the schedule right now after the game on Sunday, December eighth against Chicago, it's blank from the ninth of December through the nineteenth for the Sixers, And that's the range that you're talking about. Teams will have two games added to their schedule, no matter their place in the NBA Cup and the team that teams that make the championship. That's why it doesn't count towards the stats because it's technically the eighty third game of their season. But you're right, Orlando and New York certainly in the driver's seats. Only one team comes out of the group and only one team elsewhere in the East makes it as a wild card, so the Sixers are in an O too hole, But that certainly could be a positive thing for them at that point in the second week of December and tom now they go to Miami. It's a full weekend before playing the Heat. Jimmy Butler's been dealing with in ankle sprain. He hasn't played the last three, including tonight. They just beat Indiana twenty four to one eleven. It was a big BAM out of bio game, thirty points, eleven rebounds, seven assists, and five steals.
Speaker 2: So yes, in NBA circles, a weekend in Miami can be thought of as WHOA, you know, that's tough, but you know it's a you know what I'm saying, like going down there. So and obviously the Heat, BAM's really good. That's a huge win, you know, any of these teams, like the Magic just beat Indiana too, like, so that's a big win for them, And that'll be a tough game on Monday night.
Speaker 3: And I've got a quick positive that Sixers fans can take out of that that relates to the Heat, in that the Heat could have drafted both Maxi and McCain one pick earlier than the Sixers in each of their respective drafts. In twenty twenty, the Heat picked precious at schua At picked twenty over Tyrese Maxie, who went twenty first to the Sixers. And this past draft they picked Kalel Whare at fifteen and Jared McCain went at pick sixteen to the Philadelphia seventy six ers. So if nothing else, I mean, people should be excited about Jared McCain right now for the Sixers.
Speaker 1: Really really good, no doubt about it. It's neat to see.
Speaker 3: For sure, twenty seven point game against Charlotte, then twenty three, then thirty four, now twenty nine again tonight against Orlando. But Tom McGinnis, I hope you enjoy the full weekend in South Beach. Have a good night, all right, biem Tom McGinnis. After a ninety eight eighty six loss for the Sixers in Orlando to the Magic in the Emirates NBA Cup, we will break down the stats from this game, we will try to hear from head coach Nick Nurse, and we will have the audio highlights, which include plenty of big plays from Jared McCain, will get into his stat line as well. He's part of our stat of the game from this one, which we'll do on the other side when we continue on. After the twelve point loss for the Sixers, here on our Parks Casino post game show, you were.
Speaker 4: Listening to the Sixeries. Wait do You Network, presented by Jackpot City Casino.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the seventy six Ers postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. The Sixers in NBA Cup action on the road, this time in Orlando. So Tuesday, things kicked off for them in East Group A against the Knicks, a twelve point loss on the blue court in South Philadelphia. Then they take it on the road with a game, a hard fought game against the Cavaliers not part of the NBA Cup in between, and they go to Orlando tonight and it's another twelve point loss, and they are still at two wins for the young season. Ninety eight eighty six the final in favor of the Magic, who are seven and zero at home. They are eight and six on the season after a five game road trip followed by what is now a four game winning streak at home for the Magic. So kind of I mean, definitely a tale of of two sides here. It's actually a five game winning streak at home after the five game losing streaks. It was four coming in, So that's kind of a quirky results schedule so far for the Orlando Magic. The Sixers were without Maxi for the fifth straight game. Jared McCain made his second career start. He had a big night. Plenty to get to with of his from the audio highlights when we listen back in a few minutes, as called by Tom McGuinness, but the Magic from the four to fourteen mark of the third quarter when the Sixers were up sixty nine to sixty, they outscored the Sixers thirty eight seventeen through the finish line for the ninety eight eighty six win. Matt Murphy here with you. We still have our stat of the game upcoming, the game high leaders and those audio highlights. But before we do that, let's cueue up the head coach and his postgame press conference, Nick Nurse of the Sixers.
Speaker 5: Good thirty plus minutes and then a really bad fourteen. And that's what I'm always talking about, is stretching out the real, the really good play as long as you can and then you're not so good. Minutes got to be closer to average, right, and tonight they weren't because they're doing to play well. Would kind of a third quarter. Yeah, I mean, listen, he's he's playing with great energy. First of all. I think, you know, he's he's he's getting up the floor, he's getting some stuff in transition again again, he got a little bit of everything, some drives and some threes and and and all that kind of stuff. So I just I'm just you know, he's in he's in great shape, and he keeps playing as hard as he can and and moves quick when he catches the ball. Defense doesn't let him set all those kind of things. So he's doing a lot of good things offensively.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 3: I'll probably do like a couple more stats and continue to try to speed up just all of this, whether it's the synchronicity, whether it's the.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else that can be done to try to.
Speaker 5: Push Yeah, yeah, I mean I think I think it's a little bit of what I told him, you know, post game, was we've got to dig in and get to work on them, Like we've really got to get serious about the execution side of the offense right, and we've and we've got to figure out when we can do it, you know what, practice day, shoot arounds, all those things that we can get ourselves a level. I mean, it's it's not easy with a whole bunch of new guys and guys coming in and out obviously, but that's where we are. So we gotta, we gotta, we gotta get to work on it for sure.
Speaker 3: Kelly off the bench and Andre.
Speaker 5: With just I think four or five years.
Speaker 3: What went into those decisions and do you expect that to.
Speaker 5: Discribly moving forward? Yeah, I mean I just just a couple of things, just just trying to you know, obviously McCain is playing very well, probably earn him earning a starting position.
Speaker 1: For one.
Speaker 5: You guys have heard me talk a little bit about splitting Kelly and Caleb up a little bit more, and again just just also trying to maybe get Kelly going a little bit too. And then Drum, you know, Drum just had the sickness and whatever, so we you know, we threw him in there when we had we had both of our bigs playing four or five Joel and they were in kind of stretches together, which opened up a kind of a small window for drum, but we didn't get back to that in the second half.
Speaker 3: Thanks good, Yes, sorry, it's the head coach, Nick Nurse, joining the Parks Casino postgame show. After a ninety eight eighty six road loss for the Sixers in Orlando. They are on a three game road trip which heads to Miami on Monday night, followed by Memphis on Wednesday. Franz Wagner of the Magic had game highs across the board tonight with thirty one points and eleven rebounds and six assists for Orlando, who played their ninth straight game without Palo Bancaro, an All Star last year. We know the former number one pick. He has a torn oh bleak. So they are off to a two and zero start in the Cup, the NBA Cup without ban Caro. He's expected to miss the entirety of it with an injury that severe, and they are still perfect at home, seven to zero out of their eight and six record for the Sixers. Jared McCain was talked about there and talked about earning that spot in the lineup. He did start for Nick Nurse, and he scored a team high twenty nine points on ten of seventeen, shooting five for ten from three and four for fourth the line. He had four assists earlier in the game with the twenty nine points, but he fouled out at the four fifty six mark of the fourth quarter, and Tom McGinnis talked about it. The aforementioned frontz Wagner went right at the rookie Jared McCain, who had twenty nine. Embiid had twenty, so Joel Embiid and Paul George. Their second game playing together after their first was against the Knicks on Tuesday. George scores thirteen to Embiid's twenty. Both took fifteen shots. Paul George made four of his and Embiid made five of his, with ten of his twenty points coming at the line of perfect ten for ten, which leads us to our stat of the game. It's that with Embiid going ten for ten, he went eight for eight on Tuesday. McCain went four for four at the line tonight. They are both perfect on the season from the free throw line. Embiads eighteen for eighteen in his two games, and in twelve games, Jared McCain is twenty seven for twenty seven from the foul line. But obviously they would have traded that cherry picked stat for a W in Orlando, and unfortunately for Sixers fans and the squad, that is not the case. Ninety eight eighty six to the Orlando Magic a loss tonight. They only scored fourteen points as a team the Sixers in the fourth quarter, and again it was a sixty nine to sixty Sixers lead with four to fourteen left in the third quarter of tonight's game. We approach the top of the hour, so before we do our audio highlights and hear how this one played out with all of the key plays, We're going to pause ten seconds for station identification. Here on the Sixers radio network presented by Jackpot City Casino.
Speaker 4: Is Sixers Basketball and on the Fanatic and Burlington, Philadelphia, a Beastly Media group station.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into how this one sounded. As called by Tom McGinnis, the Sixers and the Magic in Orlando. No Maxie, no powlow. Maxie has returned to on court activities. The Sixers would start Jared McCain with Kyle Lowry, Paul George, Caleb Martin and Joel embid So. Kelly Oubrey Junior was coming off the bench in this one with the Sixers in white, the Magic in blue at home in the NBA Cup. Their specialty court is a light gray and the Sixers because Franz Wagner got off to such a good start they trailed twenty two fifteen. He's been their go to guy. More from him as this one played out. But it was Embiid's second game. And here in the first quarter, as the Sixers are trying to get back into it, the double team separated and Embiid has just Jonathan Isaac on him, who he banks it.
Speaker 2: Over Garrick Gordon. Here Joel runs at the block, goes in on Isaac. Isaac's a shot blocker. They double Embiid six to shoot. Joel goes out of the lane, backing, turning, leading, shooting on Isaac and he banked it in. Bit lucky Isaac so long, the slender center who's been injured so much out of Florida State. But a good job defensively, but it beats still made it Joel now with ten, the Sixers down by seven.
Speaker 3: Both Joel and Franz would finish the first half with sixteen points apiece. That Embiid jumper or floater in the lane off the glass. Was a you know, twenty four to seventeen game favoring the Magic. It was only a three point game after one Magic twenty four, Sixers twenty one. In the second quarter, this was the the highlight of the night for either team. It was a very good gershon Yabuselli block of Anthony Black, the second year guard for Orlando, and then the ball finds its way. Ubre saves it. Yabaselli gets it to Jared McCain on the run and forget about a layup, and.
Speaker 2: Now I'd got both to lay blocks. The sean save by Ubra. Here's McCain, he's got a breakaway.
Speaker 1: Did he jammed it?
Speaker 2: He throws it down. Jared McCain with a big time jam had the set. He's pomped up, he's going over and his teammates are knocking him around like a pinball.
Speaker 1: Six Ers four. So Magic get into a timeout.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine, twenty four. The Sixers had taken the lead early in the second quarter. They had eighteen fast break points in the first half. They finished with twenty three, which is a new season high after scoring nineteen a week ago against the Lakers. In LA twenty nine to twenty four lead after the McCain right handed hammer. Tyrese Maxey was on the TV broadcast at the time with Kate and Allah, and he was loving it. He says he's been encouraging McCain to dunk the ball more. We saw him try to go for a poster in the Knicks game, so we know that the twenty year old Jared McCain has it in him. Putting the Sixers up with that got the bench really going still. In the first half, though, Franz Wagner off a Jalen Suggs.
Speaker 2: Steal and now Uber get to run it, but they chop it away and steal it. Franz Voger going right up, inn it, beat fakes underhand, Scoop got it it, beat kind of.
Speaker 1: Baked the block.
Speaker 2: He had Jonathan Isaac behind him and Voger said, you're not gonna block, and then he laid it in with a right hand finger roll.
Speaker 3: Foger with a dozen again, sixteen of his game high thirty one before halftime, and the Magic would get within two on a Centavious Caldwell Pope three off of Franz Wagner assist at the buzzer in the first half, but it was the Sixers forty five and the Magic forty three heading into the second half after two quarters in which Paul George had three points, three rebounds, and three assists. By the way, Ubre off the bench in the game, Yaboselli off the bench in the game. Both played twenty four minutes or more twenty six for Ubre. They only took four shots each and had five in Ubre's case, four points in Ya Bocelli's case, who was part of that McCain highlight. But Paul George had a better second half scoring wise, because he only had the one three off an assists from embat in the first half, and his second field goal of the game came after a Orlando travel on their first possession. It was the Sixers first possession of the second half and Paul George on the perimeter from Kyle Lowry.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul George for three, and that's good. Nice to see he made a three. Lateness and Quota really struggled early. God missed his first eight shots and now has six points, three boards, and three assists. Sixers take that basket and go up forty nine. No forty eight forty three.
Speaker 3: George did have a game high four steals with thirteen points, four rebounds and five assists, but again he went four for fifteen from the field, three of nine from three and for thirteen points. Embid went five of fifteen, zero for five from three, and ten for ten at the line with twenty points and eight rebounds. Sixers were up five off the three. Speaking of threes, Jared McCain had three early threes in quarter number three and the Sixers, well, here's one of them. Have a listen to put the Sixers up nine.
Speaker 2: Here's McCain two on two. He's got Bogner hopped by them, passes near corner. George back to McCain shooting at filling up perimeter.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 2: Another triple by McCain, his fourth in the game. He hit six on Wednesday. He's got four tonight, Sixers by nine. McCain a red hot rookie year in Central.
Speaker 3: Florida sixty two fifty three, and he had five threes in the game on ten attempts, fifteen points in the third quarter alone on a team high twenty nine point night, ten for seventeen overall and thirty one minutes as a starter for Jared McCain. But those nine point leads, it was that one sixty two fifty three. They went up nine again sixty nine to sixty with four minutes left in the third quarter, but Orlando outscored them thirteen to three in the third to end the frame, including Mo Wagner giving them some life and another reserve player, Anthony Black, sparking the run. On this particular play, Anthony Black just rips the ball out of Joel em Beads hands.
Speaker 1: The beat just lost the ball on a runout.
Speaker 2: Anthony Black widodaya Carol's turnover on the Sixers in Orlando with a breakout nobody back live ball turnover, Anthony Black scores it and just like that point.
Speaker 3: Game seventy two seventy sixers. The lead for the Sixers was trimmed to At that point, Anthony Black only two baskets, but they were both timely. In that third quarter run, Mo Wagner, Franz's brother who comes off the bench in twenty minutes, had fourteen points for the home Magic, and they led the Sixers seventy three seventy two heading to the fourth. After that thirteen to three run, with the Sixers now down by nine a few minutes into the fourth quarter, another Jared McCain three.
Speaker 1: McCain trying to get free up and under scoop.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a move jump stop up and under scoop up the glass. It is Jared McCain pulled out the kitchens sick six point game.
Speaker 3: The three led to that driving layup for Jared McCain, so an eighty four to seventy eight Orlando Magic lead. But he was doing that pulling out the kitchen, playing with five fouls, by the way, and he filed out with four point fifty six left in regulation, down only eighty four eighty and the Magic controlled things basically from that point forward. It's a franz Wagner three that gave him thirty plus in the game and an eighty nine eighty two lead on a night where he shot five of eleven for three. And then a guy who hadn't hit one all game, Jalen Suggs, had been zero for seven from three, but for a double digit lead, sure enough, Suggs knocks it down again.
Speaker 2: They go to bol Bogner. They're gonna run up franz Wagner from the weak side. He comes to get the ball, he gets a switch with yapousel four on the shot, block back over to Suggs three point shot in the air, got it Shalen Suggs Oho for seven from three until now huge shot and the Magic with a ten point lead.
Speaker 3: That kind of ending to the game for the Sixers. Ninety two eighties Orlando becomes ninety eight eighty six. The final score with a huge Magic surge over the last about fifteen plus minutes of this game, and they win the low scoring battle that was only forty five to forty three Sixers at halftime by a final score of ninety eight eighty six. And now the Sixers will look to bounce back in Miami after dropping the first game of this three game road trip and falling to zero to two in East Group A in the Emirates NBA Cup. The Magic are eight and six overall. These Cup games count towards the regular season and the Sixers two wins in twelve tries. Now on the twenty twenty four to twenty five season, and I'll do it for the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. The final score again Orlando ninety eight Philadelphia eighty six in the NBA Cup. Thanks to our producers Matt Manarik and Sean Rodman, and of course Tom McGinnis on the call.
Speaker 1: The next Sixers.
Speaker 3: Game, Monday in Miami is a seven p thirty Eastern start, and our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at seven twenty Eastern. Until then, Matt Murphy saying thanks so much for listening, have a great night and take care.