Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central is America's only source for news.
Speaker 1: This is The Daily Show with.
Speaker 3: Your host, Show Steward.
Speaker 1: Thank you, welcome, Welcome to the Daily Show. My name is John Stuart. Now where was I? I'm excited to be back. I'm very excited you good to see you. Guys. Why am I back?
Speaker 4: You may be asking yourselves, it's a very reasonable question. I have committed a lot of crimes.
Speaker 1: From what I understand, talk show host or granted immunity, so it doesn't doesn't make a lot of sense. But take it up with the founders. I don't know.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have so much. We're gonna talk about this year. Obviously elections. Maybe we'll talk about China. Maybe we'll talk about Ai. Maybe something a little lighter, Israel, Palestine.
Speaker 1: Who knows. But first, the Super Bowl was yesterday. Gentleman in the crowd, who's delighted the Kansas City won? It was really sadly a lose lose for real America.
Speaker 4: Kansas City chiefs World Champions, which means the decades long plot in which Travis and Taylor brainwash America into getting into getting routine vaccinations is complete. But it was really kind of a no win for conservatives. I mean, if the chiefs lost, who wins the People's Communist Republic of Gay Pelosi, Stan. It's almost like the rights ridiculous obsession with politicizing every aspect of American life ruins everything. But now that it's over nine months till the election, people, and the exciting.
Speaker 1: Part is we already know our candidates.
Speaker 5: It's drum roll, please these guys.
Speaker 4: That's why tonight we're debut in our election coverage in Decision twenty twenty four American Democracy.
Speaker 1: Tanta. It's a homophone.
Speaker 4: We didn't change this out of the word, but we had it a K, which makes it wittier.
Speaker 6: How about and his ageing reny far e lectileon.
Speaker 1: We changed the one letter. Are you disappointed yet?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Joe Biden and Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: And by the way, this weekend the big news was the Special Council report on Joe Biden's handling of classified information.
Speaker 7: The Special Council's report offers scathing details of what it calls is diminished faculties and faulty memory writing. If charged, mister Biden will likely present himself to the jury as he did during his interview with our office as a sympathetic will meaning elderly man with a poor memory.
Speaker 1: Where did I park those documents?
Speaker 4: This guy couldn't remember stuff during his deposition.
Speaker 1: Do you understand what that means?
Speaker 4: He had no ability to recall very basic things under questioning. The footage of the president unable to recall simple facts must have been brutal to watch.
Speaker 8: James Webb, I don't remember the news, I don't remember the names.
Speaker 1: I don't remember ever buying something from myself.
Speaker 4: Did you recall what years you were married to Ms Naples?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't remember that.
Speaker 8: As good as my memory is, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: That, but I did so.
Speaker 3: You don't remember saying you have one of the best I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: I'm all right over over on footage.
Speaker 4: That's the high functioning candidate from nine years ago, unable to recall if he has a good memory. I'm sorry, here's the actual footage.
Speaker 3: Who created Trump International real time?
Speaker 9: I don't remember, I don't remember, I don't remember the email.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I don't remember this. I just don't seem to recall anything about this. He actually seemed upset about it.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yes, it turns out that the leading cause of early onset dementia is being deposed.
Speaker 1: But back to President Biden.
Speaker 4: Biden was not about to take the Special Counsel's characterizations lying down, although chances are he was lying down when the point is this to the press conference, batman.
Speaker 11: My memory is fine, my memory. Take a look at what I've done since I become president. None of you thought I could pass any of the things I got passed.
Speaker 7: How did that happen?
Speaker 11: I know what the hell I'm doing, and I'm president. I put this country back on his sheet. He did not say that. Okay, oh he did say that, mister president.
Speaker 1: What about question?
Speaker 12: Then American people have been watching and they have expressed concerns about your aide.
Speaker 1: That is your judgment. That is your judgment.
Speaker 3: Boom.
Speaker 1: He took them to the house.
Speaker 4: He was all over it, Joe Biden, taking names, tacking ass press conference over. You didn't mess up, You didn't No, no, no.
Speaker 1: Don't stop. Wait, hold on, hold on, sir, don't no. You killed this. Take the w what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Do not go?
Speaker 4: Allow me to present to you a one man show about what Joe Biden's advisor were doing when he turned around and went back to the podium. The show is called no, do not go back, please, but he went back.
Speaker 11: I'm of the view, as you know, that the conduct of the response in the Gaza strip has been over the top.
Speaker 1: Garbanzu Garment.
Speaker 4: Gosa, by the way, the response in Gaza has been over the top, you know. I like how Biden describes Israel's incessant bombing of civilians the same way my mother talks about the Super Bowl halftime show.
Speaker 6: It was a little much. Did they need to be unrolling skins? Whatever happened? In music, you sing the song and people belove it. But with the abs and the darling.
Speaker 1: And the hits kept coming.
Speaker 11: Initially, the president of Mexico CCI did not want to open up the gate to allow humanitarian material to get in.
Speaker 4: Now, geography, buffs might have noticed Gaza and Mexico do not share a border. That Biden was referring to Cci the president of Egypt, not Mexican, unless it was even worse than that, and he thinks the president of Mexico is named see see So Joe Biden had a big press conference to dispel the notion that he may have lost a step and politically speaking, lost three to four steps, but don't worry because they don't need the press conference. The Super Bowl was on Sunday, and the President was offered a chance, as per tradition, to do an interview where millions and millions of people could see him competently and clearly lay out his twenty twenty four agenda.
Speaker 1: Or he could just turn that down and do what this is.
Speaker 3: The Biden Harris campaign joined TikTok.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend.
Speaker 4: The first video was released during the Super Bowl and it shows President Biden answering questions related to the Big Game.
Speaker 13: Gamer halftime Showy Jason Kelcey or Travis Kelceie.
Speaker 11: Mama comes innerstation, great chalk.
Speaker 14: Chip cookies, fire everyone everyone. How do you go on TikTok and end up looking older? So yes, everyone spent the entire weekend talking about whether the Democratic choice for president is mentally up to the challenge of the world's most demanding job.
Speaker 1: So what was his opponent saying this weekend? We have to win in November. Well, we're not going to have Pennsylvania. They'll change the name.
Speaker 8: They're going to change the name of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: I can't believe I've lived in New Jersey this long and have been mispronouncing Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Apparently the emphasis is in the end of the day. Yes, it should be noted well.
Speaker 4: Concerns over any president's fitness and acuity are legitimate, especially though it was at an advanced age. Biden's opponent also seems to live at the villages, so the question then becomes, what the are we doing here people?
Speaker 1: Oh wait, that's a nice indecision twenty twenty four title.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 4: Biden's lost the step, but Trump regularly says things at rallies that would warrant a wellness check.
Speaker 8: Well, I know about magnuss is. Give me a glance of water, let me drop it on the magnus.
Speaker 1: That's the end of the magnus. I am not a scientist.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure water is not the end of magnet's sight. I think he may be thinking of cotton candy. Pretty easy to mix those up. It's probably why the front of his refrigerator is so messy.
Speaker 1: It's just it's sticky. And look, look these two candidates.
Speaker 4: They're very kind with your enthusiasm. These two candidates. They are both similarly challenged, and it is not crazy to think that the oldest people in the history of the country to ever run for president might have some of these challenges. Now, Democrats will say that any criticism like this, especially of Biden, is unfair because you just don't know Biden like they know Biden.
Speaker 11: President Biden, who I've been around numerous times just in this last year, is sharp.
Speaker 1: He's focused, He's right.
Speaker 9: He is sharp, intensely probing and detail oriented and focused.
Speaker 16: This is a man who is sharp, who is on top of his game, who knows what's going on.
Speaker 1: He's on his game.
Speaker 17: I was in almost every meeting with the President, and the President was in front of and on top of it all coordinating and directing leaders who are in charge of America's national security. Not to mention our allies around the globe.
Speaker 18: Did anyone film that, because if you're.
Speaker 4: If you're telling us behind the scenes, he is sharp and full of energy and on top of it and really in control and leading, you should film that. That would be good to show to people instead of a TikTok where he goes.
Speaker 1: We see he's in charge. You see Helloki.
Speaker 4: Of course, when it comes to Republicans, they've got a different strategy for their seventy seven year old candidate.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, Donald Trump is not an old man. He's an old man.
Speaker 4: He is objectively an old man on a human scale. Trump is objectively Oh, if he was a tortoise, I would tell him as a tortoise at seventy seven, Oh, young man, go off and enjoy college.
Speaker 1: But he is not a tourist. He's not a tortoise. That is not being.
Speaker 4: Agist, that is being human life spanist. One thing we know for certain is this, we have two candidates who are chronologically outside the norm of anyone who has run for the presidency in this country in the history of this country. They are the oldest people ever to run for president, breaking by only four years the record that they sacked.
Speaker 1: The last time they ran. They are at the age. They are objectively old. They're at the age.
Speaker 4: There are no more age related milestones to hint.
Speaker 1: They got the RP card, they've.
Speaker 4: Got Social Security, they've got their movie discounts. There is no oh wait till you hit eighty eight, you get to drink and drive. No, the only thing left to them is a Today Show Smucker's shout out. You know what, I think we've got a new name for our election coverage. In Decision twenty twenty four Antiques Roadshow.
Speaker 1: All right, look, here's where I'm gonna tire.
Speaker 4: We're not suggesting neither man is vibrant, productive, or even capable, but they're both stretching the limits of being able to handle the toughest job in the world. What's crazy is thing thinking that we're the ones, as voters who must silence concerns and criticisms. It is the candidate's job to assuage concerns, not the voter's job not to mention them.
Speaker 1: And look, I'm not trying to be I'm not trying to be cruel.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to. I don't want to have to do this on my first day. Come over here, look at me. Look what time hath throught?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, give the kids a tree of the lunar surface. Here, look at this. I'm like twenty years younger than these.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: Look at this. They wish by the way, you don't, you don't, you don't. Here's the truth.
Speaker 4: And if you think, like, oh, twenty years isn't that long, this is me twenty years ago.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I agree, and perhaps it was my mistake for sleeping in a neat dehydrator.
Speaker 1: Look, Joe Biden isn't Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: He hasn't been indicted as many times, hasn't had as many fraudulent businesses, or been convicted in a civil trial or sexual assault, or been ordered to pay defamation, and had his charities disbanded or stiffed to shit down a blue collar tradesmen he'd hired. Should we even get to the grab the pussy stuff?
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 4: But the stakes of this election don't make Donald Trump's opponent less subject to scrutiny. It actually makes him more subject to scrutiny. If the barbarians are at the gate, you want Conan standing on the ramparts, not chuck.
Speaker 1: It, Chip Cookie. So what's the good news? That was not rhetorical framing. I'm literally asking you.
Speaker 4: Look, the next nine months or so, and maybe more than that, depending on the coup schedule, they're gonna suck. You're going to be getting emails with insane subject lines like Hello, John, it's Chuck Schumer. Donald Trump is right behind you with a knife.
Speaker 1: The name.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get in dated with robocalls and push poles and real poles, and people are going to tell you to rock the vote and be the vote, and vote the vote and finger bang the vote, and it's all going to make you feel like Tuesday, November fifth, is the only day that matters, and that day does matter. But man, November six ain't nothing to sneeze at or November seventh. If your guy loses, bad things might happen, but the country is not over, and if your guy wins, the country is in no way saved. I've learned one thing over these last nine years, and I was glib at best and probably dismissive at worst about this. The work of making this world resemble one that you would prefer to live in is a lunch.
Speaker 1: Pale job, day in and day out.
Speaker 4: Where thousands have committed anonymous, smart and dedicated people bang on closed doors and pick up those that are fallen, and grind away on issues till they get a positive result, and even then have to stay on to make sure that result holds.
Speaker 1: So the good news is.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying you don't have to worry about who wins the election. I'm saying you have to worry about every day before it and every day after.
Speaker 1: For average, although.
Speaker 4: On the plus side, I am told that at some point the sun will run out of hydrogen.
Speaker 1: We come back with that full team coverage. Don't go up.
Speaker 3: Right about the Dawn Show.
Speaker 4: For the next nine months, the news media is going to be overwhelming you with NonStop election coverage, and we want to be a part of that. So we're gonna preview our wall to wall election season coverage with the best news team going.
Speaker 12: We've got a very own Desie Riadock and Michael Casta.
Speaker 1: Desie welcome, Michael, Welcome. Desie. I'll start with you. Where are you going to be reporting from this election season?
Speaker 9: John, I'm going to be spending the next nine months here in a Michigan diner, because diners are where real Americans eat. The people are gritty, the menus are sticky, and the chickens have fingers.
Speaker 16: And I'll be in the same diner as Desi, but the realer part of the diner, not the booth section with all the coastal elite Democrats and their fancy back support. I'll be spending the campaign at the counter with the Trump voters, because realer Americans want to sit at the bar stool on their coats, John.
Speaker 1: Michael, what are Trump voters think about this election?
Speaker 16: Oh, they're excited for President Trump to win the president a third time and enact his agenda.
Speaker 4: When they talk about the border wall tariffs, that's what they're excited for.
Speaker 16: No, I would say the vengeance, total and utter vengeance. One woman I met irene retired nurse. She said that she hopes that Trump will quote split the skies and rain fire upon the States of Blue, his terrible blades, sundering his enemies until nature herself bows before his dominion, and his name is carved upon the moon end quote.
Speaker 4: They're also enthusiasm on the Democratic side, doesn't oh, oh.
Speaker 9: The Democrats are pumped for Joe Biden, whether it's this Joe Biden or maybe someone else who changes their name to Joe Biden. Point is, everyone's excited and no one's crying in the bathroom.
Speaker 4: It sounds like things are going very well and will certainly be John up here.
Speaker 5: It don't say song, everybody, don't.
Speaker 1: Don't happen.
Speaker 4: It looks like it looks like you're outside. Why aren't you inside the diner asking people what they think?
Speaker 10: I know what they think. It's what everybody thinks. This is the same shit all over again. It's just a reboot. We need more than just the same show with an older, yet familiar faith.
Speaker 4: You mean you're talking two candidates you're talking to Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I already had this job, not his old white dudes gotta come back and reclaim it, like, come on, so go do something. No, it's so desperate, like, let someone else run the show.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the election, right, I say it?
Speaker 16: What I say it, John, John, John, I disagree. You won't find a single Republican who will say they don't want to vote for Trump.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 16: Is that because they're afraid of being murdered by other Trump voters? Yes, but being afraid is a form of excitement.
Speaker 9: Yeah, same here John. The Democrats here can't wait to show their Joe Biden support with these great campaign.
Speaker 4: Shirts' does he? His name is Velcrote on that shirt?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, what's underneath the name? Does he? So they're pounding up. They're counting on Taylor Swift to jump into the race.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, no, no, why has she said something to you?
Speaker 1: No, listen, guys, thank you so much. It's gonna be a great camp pet. Is that Ronnie Chang behind you? Dead?
Speaker 12: Oh wow, hey John, Hey Ronnie, it's great to see you're gonna be out on the campaign trail.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 19: I go uhetial finish John. That's a lot of them. Do they're frozen in the mill, Matthew, John, Ronie.
Speaker 12: What about the tablet Tony Turk?
Speaker 1: This behavior? What about the people there? Ronnie? What are their beliefs? Their positions? Talking about that position? The position is hanout play. This is a dina people come there? I thought nothing. I quick both in the fake. No fy, get back over here. Don't you walk away? Ronnie? You are there to get a story. I asked some of the questions. All right, was the front little BRONI chang. Everybody give it up one more time? The nerves thing? You know? If I can say just this one thing when you consider the election, O John braw friction.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Jordan Klepper, everybody, I didn't I didn't see there. He must have snug up. Shouldn't you be out somewhere talking to insurrectionists in a parking lot?
Speaker 1: Ooh biting, John biting.
Speaker 20: You must be so proud of yourself with all these little satirical bits exposing the absurdities of our political process.
Speaker 1: I mean it was fun. We had a fun day. We had fun making this stuff up. Oh, I bet it was.
Speaker 20: Did you save democracy yet?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 20: Your nineties brand of snark in both siderism, Oh George Bush's dumb?
Speaker 1: Oh Gorge so boring? Wow, seirring, John, I wasn't really trying to save democracy.
Speaker 20: I was just trying to All you do is brainwash voters into accepting a corrosive status quo when they could be out marching in the streets to affect change.
Speaker 1: Frankly, you discussed me. I can tell that from the tone of your voice on there.
Speaker 4: But you know, Jordan, I'm here like once a week, Like seriously, what do you what do you want from me?
Speaker 1: It's like, wait, days, you're only here once a week.
Speaker 20: Who's hosting the show?
Speaker 1: Deep other days?
Speaker 18: The week?
Speaker 4: The news team, Jordan, you're, in fact, you're the host this whole week after I leave it Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
Speaker 1: That to you, Yeah, it's great having you back, Buddy.
Speaker 20: I gotta tell you that this is gonna be so much fun. What we're doing here is important, John, I can't wait to change the world with you, my friend.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much, really nice to see it. Join dog everybody.
Speaker 12: When we come back, we'll be joined by Zanny Minton Bettos don't go away?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 12: What about the Tylor Show My guest tonight.
Speaker 4: She's the editor in chief of the Economists. Please welcome to the program, Zanny Minton.
Speaker 15: Bet it was lovely to see.
Speaker 1: The chairs movie.
Speaker 3: I hope you're all right.
Speaker 1: I think I was here nine years ago.
Speaker 4: We almost killed Jimmy Carter with the rolling chase. He almost went all the way back this way it does swivel. We have the Economy. This is your magazine.
Speaker 1: We have it. We brought it with us. I don't know if you can see that there.
Speaker 15: We're out there and it's.
Speaker 4: Got a posted note in there for the right page.
Speaker 1: Why there there? I thought there was a centerfold that wasn't there. I don't know what was that. Uh, well, we're here to show that we very much appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you, you know, the Economists wrote about some of Joe Biden's issues a year ago. You wrote, is he going to be up for the job in the second term? What were the concerns that that you guys had that.
Speaker 21: So we wrote after the midterms that he should not stand for a second term. And you know, he when he came in, it was he was hoping to be He said pretty much that he wanted to be a one term president.
Speaker 3: He was a grown up.
Speaker 21: He would save the country for He was the bridge can he was the bridge character.
Speaker 1: I didn't say which bridge bridges one of those bridges in.
Speaker 21: Forty absolutely, And I think we after the midterms, we thought that it was time for him to kind of make that clear.
Speaker 3: He would have been had he said.
Speaker 21: He was going to be a one term president, he would have been a remarkable one term president. He's achieved an unbelievable amount for one term.
Speaker 1: But now we.
Speaker 21: Are where we are here, and huge majorities of the American people, including huge majorities of Democrats, think he is too old for a second term. It's really alarming that the only person between us and the return of Donald Trump is a frail.
Speaker 4: Lady white bore the return of Donald Trump.
Speaker 21: It really worries me and it may be a little weird. But for those of us outside the US.
Speaker 4: Oh, couldn't they say that if you say I had a remarkable first term what's to say I won't have a remarkable second term.
Speaker 21: He's eighty one years old. What you know, he is the same age pretty much as my father. I love my father dearly. My father's a wonderful man. But my father should be nowhere near the most important job in the world.
Speaker 3: He probably never should have been. But in eighty one year olds, eighty one year old, he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't watch this thing? Does he? Does he watch.
Speaker 21: This may there's maybe a little explanation will have to go. But he an eighty one year old. You know what they're like at eighty one. You know what they're going to be like at eighty five. You know, time travels one way and people go in one direction at that.
Speaker 1: Age, Why are you looking at me like that?
Speaker 4: When you say that seemed awfully personal.
Speaker 3: As you said the show, you're good twenty years younger. You know you've got a long time still.
Speaker 1: It's pretty interesting.
Speaker 4: But let me ask you. So there is obviously a press pool, there's a White House press corps. There's a certain amount of mystery that seemed to surround this. All the people behind the scenes are saying, you don't know, like we know, he's leading these meetings he's unbelievable. You I wish you could see it. But certainly there are press people that travel with the president. Surely I have not seen people come out with first hand accounts.
Speaker 3: They have not come out to founding a long air force wor or just.
Speaker 4: Said I follow the president. I'm with him every day. He is unbelievably sharp.
Speaker 1: He's just camera shy or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: But nobody is making those It makes it seem conspiratorial.
Speaker 21: Yeah, And I think it's what is clear is that it is quite hard to get access to this president. He is very carefully shepherded around. He doesn't do very many press conferences. He doesn't do very many interviews. I assume that's for a reason. And I hear the same thing. You know, he's very sharp, He talks for a long time. He can outlast anybody in a meeting. I'm perfectly prepared to believe that on some subjects, that's true. Joe Biden knows a huge amount of that foreign policy. He is exactly the right person to have in the oval office in the world as it is we have today, and I'm sure on certain things he can go for our an hours and hours he can probably be in negotiations for a long time, But does that.
Speaker 3: Mean he should be president for another two terms? I think it's worrying now when.
Speaker 4: You say, yeah, the world order is changing, and there is a part you know, the economist is certainly you know it does represent a certain mainstream point of view or establishment.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 21: Actually, interestingly, we we stand for good classic English liberalism. It's not the same as an American liberal, which is more of a lefty, but the English liberals.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get tested on this because I don't know.
Speaker 21: I'm going to star with a little lesson. Now, we believe in individual freedom, free markets, limited government. We've kind of believed in that for a long time. And for a long time, You're right, our view was the kind of mainstream view, you know, Reaganism, Thatcherism, even Clintonism. You know, it wasn't too far apart. That was the mainstream view. But now we're actually not the mainstream view.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You know I should have said establishment. I think it's established the status qua.
Speaker 3: We're absolutely not the establishment view.
Speaker 21: And now industrial policies in big state is in protectionism, is in all manner of things that we traditionally didn't believe in, and so our kind of liberalism, I think is very much not the mainstream view now, and we're championing liberalism in the face actually pretty concerted resistance to it and people going in different directions. So the whole kind of trumpest assault, if you will. There's an in fact our cover, this week's cover is going to be about this almost certainly unless something dramatic happens, which is about national conservatism.
Speaker 3: It's this idea which you know.
Speaker 21: The Maga Republicans have, but also a bunch of conservatives in Europe Victor Orba and Georgia Maloney in Italy, Marine Le penn in France. There are differences between them, but they're united by an idea that they want to be anti globalist. They're anti trade, they're very skeptical of migration. They want to push back against what they see as progressive, woke ideas.
Speaker 4: You would say this is perhaps a new world order that they are they would love that. Oh, they're the ones who always talk about how there's a conspiracy to create a new world order, when if you really look at it, they're the ones trying to create it.
Speaker 1: They're shifting.
Speaker 4: There was an old paradigm right which was America postwar aligned itself with liberal Europe against communism. That was the stability of the world since World War Two was capitalism versus communism. It looks like there appears to be a realignment along the lines of not capitalism and communism, but woke and unwoke. And I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is what ties Putin to Trump an orban to Trump. If you listen to Putin when he talks about orthodox Christianity and Western society and anti gay rhetoric, he sounds like an AM radio host.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 21: And there are people in the Republican Party now who wore more to Putin than to Ukraine, for example. So I think you're right all of them. No, not all of them, not all of them.
Speaker 1: Well, Mitch McConnell, but he just stops working every now.
Speaker 3: And I think there's a really serious point.
Speaker 21: There's a complete you know, one way of thinking about it as a maga takeover the a Republican Party, but another I think there's something more profound going on, which is there is potentially a kind of revolution and conservatism which may end up being as big as the kind of Thatcherite Reaganite revolution which is taking it in a completely different direction, which is.
Speaker 4: It's a popularism, a nativism, but it's combined with this anti wokeism that almost seems to be the more powerful unifying theory than it is. We used to be economic theories and now it's theories of social culture.
Speaker 21: Issue identity, social culture. Absolutely, no, I think there is. That's definitely a fault line, and the people you cite are definitely on one side of it.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a new world order yet, I don't know.
Speaker 4: We did not talk about NATO. Donald Trump very famously came out and said I would encourage Russia, this was years ago, to attack them so that they would pay their bills, as though the value of NATO is in what they can contribute financially.
Speaker 1: What is your he He.
Speaker 21: Sounded like the mobster. Right, they got to pay, They got to pay, that's right. Donald Trump doesn't I think understand what collective security is about, Like the NATO is basically, if you attack the smallest NATO country, you're attacking America. That basic deal was understood by the Soviet Union and then by Russia. That's why we haven't had an attack on NATO. I think that is undermined by him basically saying it's a protectionist racket, which is what he so. I don't think Donald Trump cares about alliances. But the reason it's so disconcerting and worrying if you're in Europe right now is this is happening at a time when Vladimir Pudin has already done a full scale invasion of Ukraine. He is rearming much faster than Europe. Europe is a fundamentally more dangerous place. So even with Donald Trump nowhere near the White House yet, him saying it right now is destabilizing. It makes it much more likely that Putin an aggressive dictator.
Speaker 3: You know, it pushes further.
Speaker 21: And at the same time, you have this aid for Ukraine held up here in this country. And to be clear, aiding Ukraine, giving the money to Ukraine is the cheapest possible way for the US to enhance its security. It's just the fighting is being done by the Ukrainians. They're the people who are being killed. The US and Europe are supplying them weapons and in doing so we are pushing back against Putin. I mean, I've been to Kiev twice and lived there thirty years ago, and you can't go there and not think this is a European country that is looking westward, and for the US to abandon it now if it does, it's almost jewel dropping.
Speaker 4: The unfortunate part for Ukraine seems to be that it also holds a place in our culture war. I don't think there's any principal opposition from the right in terms of sending arms. There might be in terms of the amount or the money or some of those things. I think they're really caught in the idea that Putin and urban and that illiberal order are their natural allies, and so Ukraine they have to paint.
Speaker 1: That as.
Speaker 4: Nazified or utterly corrupt, as though Russia is somehow fundamentally uh, you know, just this unbelievable Valhalla. But I think that's where I think, that's why you can if I think there somewhere else, Ukraine happens to hold a very strange place in this whole barisma Hunter Biden illiberal like exactly.
Speaker 21: Donald Trump doesn't like Volodimis Lensky because of the whole issue around the first impeachment and and all of that stuff. So and we her for grudges, and he doesn't like Zelenski and he likes Pujin because Pugin's tough. That's rightly that kind of Then I think there are a bunch of Republicans who are genuine, or you might call it old fashioned isolationists, who just don't think the kind of us should.
Speaker 3: Be involved in this stuff.
Speaker 21: Then there's a bunch who have perfectly reasonable concerns about whether the money is being well spent corruption in Ukraine. There is plenty of corruption in Ukraine, whether it's all well spent. And then I think you're right. There are these and let's call them the Tucker Carlson Republicans who who kind of have a sense that there is somehow the you Putin is the hero and Ukraine is the villain, which is sort of hard to get your head around, but that does seem to be what they think.
Speaker 4: Right, and that's I do think that's the world order that they would be pushing towards. But this gets back to journalists in this country. It's all about the money, and there's very little talk about even after September eleventh, when Article five was invoked and they came to our defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only.
Speaker 21: Political five has been invoked to the defense of the United States.
Speaker 4: It's it really does boil down to, oh, is this just a financial transaction gone awry? Or is this the valuable alliance that's kind of held together the world? Or and which by the way, though, we have to be able to criticize what it did in a rock and all these other things. But if we can't talk honestly about it, we end up shutting down all the conversation.
Speaker 21: Of course, I think there is discussion about I mean, NATO most of the time for most Americans is not something that's probably top of mind.
Speaker 3: But I think there is a kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Been to a party where it's not the first thing people talk about.
Speaker 3: Can maybe move in serious circles I do.
Speaker 4: Generally it's you go in, it's a little NATO talk and then keg stand, thank you very much for being here.
Speaker 1: It's really fantastic, ladies and.
Speaker 12: Gentlemen, Bays of the Economists.
Speaker 1: Hey, Kuk Vergill, we love that report.
Speaker 13: That is.
Speaker 1: Everybody where is our shop for tonight brow looking forward to seeing you guys every Monday.
Speaker 4: I remember Tuesday through Thursday, the super new team's gonna be here knocking it.
Speaker 1: Out of the park. Here a love of that.
Speaker 8: We are a nation who's once revered. Airports are dirty. They're a crowded mess. You sit and wait for hours and then are notified that the plane won't leave. They have no idea when they will, where ticket prices have tripled, They don't have the pilots to fly the planes, they don't have qualified air traffic controllers, and they just don't know what the hell they are doing.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah