Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and Ed Lovelow in sentances.
Speaker 2: Go this is Bloomberg Tech coming up us Paul's TSMC's waiver on essentral gear to its China chip making facility, adding further curbs to its semiconduction production capabilities, plus.
Speaker 3: Tech stock slide to start September im in a global sell off with all Magnificent seven names in the red. We dig into the fourth day of losses for Nvidio, and we speak.
Speaker 2: With the CEO of Crypto dot com about a new partnership with Trump Media.
Speaker 3: So first we check in on these markets which are under pressure from a global perspective. This is in many ways the bond market that is a tail that wags the dog when it comes to the equity market. Bond markets sell off why, particularly in the UK, we're worried about ability of governments to repay debt at the moment, but we are seeing just a risk of tone to this September start, and we're looking at big tech off by one and a quarter percent. Magnificent seven last time I checked, Ed all in the red.
Speaker 4: In particular in video, there's.
Speaker 2: Market sentiment and then there's news flow. In the show, we're going to talk about Tesla three pieces data from China, Bloomberg reporting on India launch and master Plan Part four in Vinya. Maybe it's a post earnings thing. There is anxiety broadly about the mag seven names and concentration risk at the index level. And then TSMC. We just broke the story the US pulling a key waiver for TSMC to get key gear to a pretty much sole facility for chip making in China. I want to get the details. Let's bring in Bloomberg Senior editor Mike Shephard and Mike, what's the need to know here specifically on TSMC in China.
Speaker 5: Well, this adds at another speed bump for a TSMC, and the supplier is in trying to bring equipment, chemicals and other things that they need for this facility in Nanjing. It is not a major portion of TSMC's overall manufacturing picture accounts for a relatively small fraction of the company's revenue, and yet it is symbolically significant because the move mirrors with the US government announced on Friday, and that is that Samsung and sk Heinex would face similar restrictions on their facilities in China going forward. All of this takes effect at the end of the year. They have until December thirty first before these new restrictions snap back into effect. What happened, in Essen said, is that the company's lost what is considered really a blanket waiver of validated end user agreement that they were trusted to be able to ship goods and material into those manufacturing facilities in China for chip making. That's ending, and it's part of the US government's broader effort to restrict China's access, even if it's foreign companies making things inside China, to restrict access by China overall to advanced technology.
Speaker 3: So, Mike, an additional one thousand or so licenses are going to have to be processed every single year by US officials.
Speaker 4: But who does that hamper? Who is the supplier here?
Speaker 3: Is it the I mean I think of ASML in Europe, is that the knock on effect we see.
Speaker 5: Here, Well, we could see a knock on effect on those We looked into the supplier question at the end of last week, and it will be a little bit of a drag. It's unclear which companies will be affected because it's not just ASML, it's even the chemical makers and other kinds of suppliers that may face some of those speed bumps. Now, as I mentioned the facility that TSMC is operate in Nanjing, it is an older grade technology there. It's sixteen nanometer chip technology that has been out in the market care for really a decade, so it may not be the most cutting edge of material, but what we're looking out overall is going to be some delays. This adds, as you noted, a thousand more permits that may need to be in the pipeline and approve by a government that is really understrained here in Washington from staffing and budget cuts and may not be as enthusiastic about issuing those kinds of approvals. We did see at the end of last week with the Samsung and s k Heinex announcement, an indication from the Commerce Department that, look, these approvals are not going to go to any sort of equipment or other supplies that may be used to upgrade or expand capacity at those facilities, So they are interested in keeping things where they are rather than allowing expansion or improvement in technology of those plans.
Speaker 3: The US versus China AI race continues Michael Sheppard, We appreciate it. Look, let's get the wider context here of a tech sector that is facing another day of losses. The Magnificent seven names in particular, every single one is in the red. Let's get over to bluem executary report around va Selica for more in Chicago and the pressure point here is one evaluation is it is it more the bond market that dictates or just a desire to be risk off at this moment.
Speaker 6: Hey, good morning, thanks for having me. I'd say there's probably some combination of all of those right now. I would just add that most of these mag seven names have been very strong performers this year, especially over the past few months since the April low. It is a natural place for investors to be wanting to take profits, especially if there's any sort of broader sense of uncertainty or any kind of risk off sediment. This is sort of the place you might go first in order to take profits just because of how well they've done. Now you mentioned valuations, because of how much they've risen over the past couple of months. We have gotten to a point where a lot of people are starting to feel maybe they're a little bit frothy, maybe there's some room for consolidation. On the downside, there's a lot of sort of sentiment about that right now.
Speaker 2: Ryan, let's focus on in Video is down for a full straight day, right, longest streak of decline since since March, which on the face of it isn't really that big a deal. But there's a lot of focus on the terminal this morning about weighting of the S and P five hundred and how much of a contribution in Video alone made to the gains we've seen inequity markets this year.
Speaker 6: So last week Nviigya came out with this report and it was broadly positive, but you did have some questions about China revenue. You have some questions about the sustainability of growth right now. And I'll say that the report was strong enough that we did see people increase their estimates, which had the impact of reducing the forward multiple. But I think, like you said, this is a stock that's done very well this year. It is absolutely enormous in terms of market cap and its weight within the major indexes. So it does seem like a natural place for investors to be taking some profits, especially since we're now past the earnings catalyst and it just given the overall weight that it has in major indexes, is kind of natural that we are sort of feeling the trimmers of that just across the overall equity market.
Speaker 2: Those Ryan las Selca, thank you very much. Let's stay with video. Anthony saglum Ben and Paraised Financial chief market strategist joins us now and I use the phrase concentration risk, Anthony, but there's two types of concentration risk. There's Nvidia's waiting in key benchmark indexes, right, and then there's the concentration risk of where in Vidias derived sales the hyperscalers which came up in the print last week. Of those two, which is the market most nervous about right now.
Speaker 7: I know I would say, you know, I think it's the letter. I think revenue risk when you heard in video report and you kind of and I think it gets highlighted it very well. The overall numbers were very good. There's some obviously uncertainty about the revenue that's being generated in China, which kind of brought some of the kind of the data revenue down, But at the end of the day, the overall picture for AI and in Vidia's place in AI is very strong. But it really is about execution. And when you kind of dig into the numbers and you see the hyperscalers having such a dominant role in driving their revenue, you know, mag seven companies accounting for forty percent of their revenue or so, you have to take a step back because if over time investors in those companies want a little bit more payback, they want to see return on investment. Uh, they're concerned about the cap X that's being spent by these companies. Well that's in Vidia's revenue, and so there is a little bit of unease around that. But I would point out the NANSDAC just finished August up for the fifth straight month, and as you guys highlighted, there's been a lot of strength in the Magnificent seven names. And so September is wall streets hate this month or they hate the month of September, and that's what we're kind of seeing today. Our view is that technicals are not stretched. There is a little bit of risk that markets could pull back, but I do believe fundamentals for Nvidia and technology as a whole remained very solid.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, Anthony was seeing in Vidio down on two weeks, but over year to date up twenty five percent. But the idea that you've got concentration in where the revenue comes from for in video, and then you've got concentration in video and those mag seven names in ultimate rewards that every investor has felt right now, how many people are trying to trim that overall concentration in their books.
Speaker 7: You know, I think a lot of traders and institutional investors probably got ahead of the seasonal factors that they probably looked at some of the earnings or suspected that there could be a little bit of volatility around in video's earnings. And so I don't think there's a massive repositioning happening around in video. But as you mentioned, it's eight percent of the S and P five hundred. We've seen the NASDAC and the MAGS Magnificent seven have very strong performance since the April lows. We're in a weaker seasonal kind of factor for the markets, and so I think it's just natural that you're seeing a little rotation out of big tech. I don't think that's bad for the market overall. What we saw in August is areas like financials and energy and materials actually did pretty well. And when you look at the earnings expectations over the third quarter, actual expectations for Nvidia and Big Tech and Magnificent seven went up last month, and they actually have gone up over the last two months. So when we look at fundamentals, we think they're still strong in technology. But as I said earlier, it's about execution, and at these stretched valuations, investors sho expect a little bit more volatility around these really concentrated names that make up a lot of the major indexes today.
Speaker 3: Calm Context, Anthony segum Beni, it's great to have you on from Americ Price. Thank you kicking off the September trade. Meanwhile, coming up Klana, it's preferring to go public after delays earlier this year. We look at why the fintech company seeks evaluation size fourteen billion dollars.
Speaker 4: This is a blue back tech.
Speaker 3: Klana and its backers are looking to raise more than a billion dollars in a highly anticipated IPO as soon as next week. And mex Matthew Griffin is with us, joining us for more and a week of marketing kicks off formally ahead of what could be September the ninth, pricing trading September the tenth. What are the key facts that we know about this business.
Speaker 8: It's a really interesting road that Klara has taken to get here. They started as a sort of comparable to PayPal payments company. They rose to prominence during the pandemic in buy now, pay later financing for consumer purchases, and now just in the last few months, they're really making a new push to become a digital bank, to offer debit cards, to offer a bank accounts to people. So it'll be really interesting to see which peers they end up trading, like, who investors have in mind when they're thinking about this company, and how each of these businesses fit together, how that banking push goes. As we get a little bit further out past the IPO.
Speaker 2: I remember covering with Caro twenty twenty one that valuation in the private market it's forty six billion or something like that. So at the top end it's a fourteen billion dollar evaluation. But there's a biggest story about IPO environment this week alone. What are you saying.
Speaker 8: We've had a really hot summer at this point. In IPOs, I mean, just today you've got filings from Figure, they're a blockchain based lending company. Also in financial technology, you've got Gemini, which is a crypto exchange, and then you've also got Legends that's an engineering and HVAC company backed by Blackstone, which is a possible sign that the pipeline is broadening out a little bit.
Speaker 4: The reason that's important is, you know.
Speaker 8: A lot of IPOs were paused during the March volatility that we saw this spring because of tariffs. Things have bounced back. They're looking a little bit more like what investors hoped they'd see. But some of the first companies we saw go were, for example, e Toro, fintech, you know, companies that aren't directly affected by tariffs. So now we're seeing more companies. We're seeing companies that offer physical goods and services, and so that's potentially a thing that investors are going to take as a sign of hope for the pipeline this year and for a broader revival.
Speaker 2: Right Bloomberg's Matthew Griffin, great reporting, Thank you very much. Meanwhile, fintech firm Resolute, has kicked off a process for some employees to sell their shares in the company at a seventy five billion dollar valuation. That's according to a memo seen by Bloomberg. The secondary sale, we'd value each share at one three hundred and eighty one dollars, and sources say staff of the firm would be able to sell as much as twenty percent of their personal stakes Cara Significant.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, coming up, the CEO of Crypto dot com is joining us. It's going to be talking about the company's latest partnership with Trump Media and a new focus on the growing sports predictions market. But before that, we get back to this market that is in cell off mode. Nazak one hundred of by one point four percent. In fact, the worst two days sell off we've seen since April in video off for four straight days. We haven't seen that since March of this year. Another three percent is gone. There's a brummeg tech. It's time now for talking tech and first up Amazon Well, it's launched its cloud services in New Zealand, says it will invest four point four billion dollars in data centers in the country.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The move comes as the country is looking to attract more foreign investment. The construction, operation and maintenance of the data centers expected to add about one thousand full time jobs.
Speaker 4: Plus.
Speaker 3: Lazan has appointed Dmitri Chevalenko, the Cheap Business Officer of Perplexity, to its port effective today now. Prior to joining Perplexity, Chevalenko previously held senior roles ober at LinkedIn and at Meta.
Speaker 4: But Lazard CEO Peter Orzag says that.
Speaker 3: Dimitri's AI expertise will support its long term strategy and cryptocurrency exchange Gemini space station, and it seeks to raise as much as three on ore and sixteen point seven million dollars in its IPO. The firm, of course, led by the Winklevoss Twins, plans to market sixteen point seven million shares seventeen to nineteen dollars each, giving the company evaluation of some two point two billion dollars at the top end of the range.
Speaker 5: ED.
Speaker 2: Let's stick with the digital currency space and bringing Chris Marslick. He's the CEO of crypto dot Com, which last week announced the partnership with Trump Media and a blank check Vehicle to launch a new crypto treasury business its focus buying Upcrypto dot COM's own token known as Chronos or Crow. I think, Chris, it's one of those stories where we start with the basics.
Speaker 4: Where did the idea.
Speaker 2: Come from to do this of a Kronos treasury company, Where did it originate?
Speaker 9: I think it's a little bit of a trend by now and a pioneer and by micros MicroStrategy, and I think every single blockchain from the top, say twenty will have a leading treasury company that will be focusing on driving demand for it and acquiring as much as physically possible. And we thought that partnering with Trump Media to do so is just the perfect match.
Speaker 2: So there are a number of initiatives between Crypto dot Com and Trump Media or the broader Trump family. Where did that relationship start, Who did you first meet and how long have you held those relationships?
Speaker 9: So I think it comes dates back a couple of years. And you know, we always look forward to working with people who are procrypto, who want to help drive this industry forward. And I think it has to be said that both the current administration and specifically Trum Media Technology Group has probably done it out in this space. We've helped them exit get on their big contrast strategy with a multi billion dollar a bit Com purchase. We help them cussid coins, so we provide infrastructure, and this new play on cr is just an extension of the relationship.
Speaker 3: Extension of a relationship that broadens out to ETFs, that broadens out to payments, a subscription creation. But it also broadens out the conversation that people are having about more broadly benefits to the Trump's broader family when it comes to crypto, Chris, when you're having those conversations with friends with family, how do you talk about whether or not there might be any conflicts of interest?
Speaker 4: Which I will reiterate.
Speaker 3: The family and indeed spoke to you for the administration would say there are none.
Speaker 9: And you know you have to agree with their statements because everything is held in brid trusts and this is a published company that operates independently, and you know, we are still a privately held company. But we love partnering with people who to really take this industry forward. So I think people need to understand that the administration has set a certain agenda which places cryptocurrency industry at the very center of it. With setting out a very ambitious role for America in this space, and anything we can do to help, we'll do so we'll support it.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is you say you're still privately held. What are the plans of crypto dot com? More broadly, we're just hearing of IPOs of Gemini and the like. Would you ever think of an IPO? Would you ever think about selling parts of the business?
Speaker 9: Right? I have to admit it's quite tempting to consider these options, given how richly the market values crypto companies these days. We certainly have the numbers to do so. We've done about one point five billion in revenue last year, about a billion in gross profit, reinvested about seven hundred million of it. So let's say a free had a million net profitability this year. I think it's going to be better, especially if we see the Federate cut and a strong Q four following. So we have the numbers, and we've been approached by all the top names in them of the investment banks. We want to be a very well run company, so we are working on preparing everything, but no decisions have been made at this point. We think that we actually enjoy operating as a private company. It alls us to move really fast. We've got a solid, solid baland street, so we don't have to make any decisions in a short term.
Speaker 2: Some breaking news this morning that you're looking at starting sports prediction markets, particularly for the NFL. That's so interesting. There was market reaction from some of the established players that in that space. Right, explain how it's going to get.
Speaker 4: It's going to work, but why.
Speaker 9: Look, we think that prediction markets are going to be huge, and sports is a part of it, but it's not the whole thing. And if there is any company out there, a large business that wants to build out a prediction market operation, we are the perfect infrastructure partner. We are regulated by the CFTC. We've got battle tested trading technology, very robust, APIs all the best market makers. We want to be the liquidity center for prediction markets on shore in the US. So we'll play very aggressively in that space.
Speaker 3: And you're someone who's comfortable perhaps in markets that regulation is always trying to catch up with, Chris, it's interesting that the CFDC federal courts are still debating whether, ultimately sports prediction.
Speaker 4: Markets counter is gambling. How do you think about the regulation process? Having given what you've lived through when it comes to crypto.
Speaker 9: I think it's news space and it's going to evolve, and the regulatory setup is going to have to evolve with it. We've gone through this journey with cryptocurrency. We are used to being the role of being in the role of a trusted counselor to regulators and helping them understand how they can do their job effectively while allowing market participants to make use of these wonderful instruments.
Speaker 2: Just very quick, Chris, do you expect that this could be some sort of meaningful contribution to revenues this year? You kindly gave us your financials for last year. Just model it out for us.
Speaker 9: I think it's still it's not going to be a massive contributor this year, but we're also very aggressive and pricing for our partners, Like it's all about building liquidity right now. But if you look at what's going to be in like five years time, I think it's going to be a massive business line for US.
Speaker 3: Crypto dot com CEE Chris Mazlek is great speaking with you. Coming against meanwhile coming up Tesla well in underwhelms and it's India debut, so much more news on that particular company, but we are more broadly looking at Tesla shares by one and a half percent. In fact, ed every single Magnificent seven name is in the red today. We are looking at a market that is under pressure as we head into a pretty tumultuous month of September. Checking out mag seven off by more than two percent ed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Tesla one's so interesting, Like there's three stories out there Bloomberg breaking the numbers on what's a pretty soft launch for them in India. But again there's this like macro level, macro level. Yeah, it's a macro level thing. Anxiety about how much concentration risk there is right now, particularly within Vidia. We've had some great conversations about that, our earlier guest saying that September the most hated month.
Speaker 10: Carol.
Speaker 4: Notable.
Speaker 3: Whether we'll see or not some of the pressure continue on in video. Is so good to have your voice back on this show as we enter the month of September. Four straight days of glosses for the company. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech, and we'll get right to markets and right to video. It's kind of the biggest drag right now, down for a fourth straight session, which is the biggest run of decline since March, which actually, let's be honest, it's not much to right home about other than we've just had a long weekend following in Nvidia's earnings print which was last Wednesday. There's this macro level anxiety of concentration risk because of Nvidia's waiting and other magsv waitings. At the index level, there's still some kind of unpicking of what happened at earnings. And thankfully for US, Bloomberg's Ian King, who has led semiicinducts of coverage at this company since the nineties, joins US onset and that's the thing. I don't think anything's really changed since Wednesday or Thursday of last week, but the market is moving in that general downward direction.
Speaker 11: Yeah. I mean, their earnings was kind of a non event in many respects. There was a lot of left in the kind of TBD category. We still really don't know what's going to happen with China, when that revenue is going to come back, how much of it is going to come back, but we believe probably will be some China revenue. So that was a kind of a mixed message. We know that Invidia is still concentrated on a few extremely big customers, but again nothing surprising there, and fundamental demand, as they said, was okay.
Speaker 3: And in though the broader context that leans into the China story is again another headline that hits TSMC's ability to get chip equipment, for example, in the country. So the US China tension not to mention, of course China really leaning into its own domestic creative creativity, whether it's innovation on chip design or indeed manufacturing, is that speaking to some of this weakness.
Speaker 11: It could possibly, I mean, what it's reminding us of, as if we could forget, is that this is a very volatile situation and that the trend is towards decoupling, that China goes its own way and tries to wean itself off American technology. That's something that's been happening and this kind of event is a reminder of that and obviously long term that is not good for in video or any other US technology.
Speaker 2: Stop with Rsie and King, thank you very much, just turn to Tesla. Loads of news out on Tesla China data month or month change, year and year drop customers switching to local rivals. Tesla struggling elshere in Asia. It's Indian order numbers disappointing investors, a story that Bloomberg broke. And then Elon Musk is downplaying the car business. He says Tesla will derive eighty percent of its value from the Optimus robot, the still in development. A trio of stories. Bloomberg's Craig Trudell joins us from London. Actually, I want to start with the India piece of it if we can. That's a story that Bloomberg broke, and we have specific numbers about initial orders that India has for Tesla. Just explain that to us.
Speaker 12: Great, Yeah, just a little over six hundred orders at this point, and you know, just to put that number into perspective, Tesla delivered roughly that number of vehicles around every four hours in the first half, so really really tiny. And this is not necessarily a show, right. India is a very price price conscious, price sensitive market. There's not a lot of demand for more expensive vehicles, and part of that, of course has to do with you know, tax treatment and tariffs. Tesla's getting some relief from that perspective, but not a whole lot. And you know, I do think that even with the the sort of relief being you know, only so helpful, I think there was still some hope or some you know, prayers that maybe you know, India would be a source of growth for this company company, and it's looking like, you know, a pretty slow start for them there.
Speaker 4: I meanwhile, China is not source of growth.
Speaker 3: We've seen yet another dismal monthly numbers in terms of four percent lower in terms of units being shipped, not to mention Europe's number last week, which was very ugly. Craig, all of this just speaks to an ongoing weakness in car sales or Tesla.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I do think, you know, the US, of course, will be very interesting to see over the next you know, a few weeks. We'll get quarterly deliveries at the beginning of next month. I think everyone is, of course counting on there being a big pull ahead of people in America wanting to take advantage of the tax credits before they go away, and Tesla really kind of utilizing that for all it's worth. But the big question for me is what's on the other side of that. And also, you know, even even if we see you know, a strong US number, will it be offset by the fact that, you know, the China slow down is substantial and the europe you know, sales. I think it's safe to refer to them as an out and out collapse at this point.
Speaker 2: Craig Tesla's published Master Plan Part four in the last twenty four hours. But the bit we're paying attention to was some commentary from Mila Musk on X about the future of the business. And it's not cars or robotaxis, it's humanoid robots.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I do wonder how much of this is you know, an effort on Musk's part to kind of paper over and distract from from how much of a challenge they're having on the car side. And the question, of course, with this potential for optimist is when is this thing actually going to be ready for you know, actual revenue generation, you know, when anyone's been able to pin Elon down on a sort of rough sense of a date. He talked back in January about maybe the second half of next year. This thing is, you know, effective for really cool videos, for little demonstrations, but in Elon terms, you know, this thing is not necessarily doing something useful yet, And until and unless we see that, it's really hard to kind of take him at his word that this valuation of the company is going to be tied to something that is still just an internal developmental project.
Speaker 3: At this point, we're watching those little cool videos as you're speaking. Creatudell, Thanks for breaking down all of those stories for us. Let's keep the conversation going because Pierre Farragho is with US New Street Research had a global tech infrastructure. Who has I think it is four hundred and sixty five price target on Tesla. Clearly see forty percent upside from here. But when you're hearing the master Plan part four, are you sing optimists could really be eighty percent of revenue?
Speaker 13: Well, optimist is about you know, creating like humanoid robots that could take billions of jobs on the planet. So as long as you remain vague on timeline and what the scenario looks like, yes, it's very easy to imagine that Tesla would be first like extended in terms of valuation with like a successful robot taxi operation, and then of course like a fleet of like hundreds of millions of human in robots with dwarf Actually, is the economic value of even a robot taxi business. So you have to remember that you know this this planned Tesla publishes and even likes to comment on, is really like a vision, like a stretch vision. Is always been managing managing his businesses, bringing up like the very long term visions, and he has his way of presented presenting these versions very often with like a slightly distorted time timescale, you know when he talks about like mass and the conquest of mass and the SpaceX and things like that. So you have to put the comments in the right context. So today we know that the robot taxi business in the most boutish case which should be test like in scale with robot taxes, doesn't really have significant competition. Given like the quality of their cost base, that business would be worth multiple trillions than would be already like a multiple as the existing motor business. And yes, on top of that, a human robot bull case where Tesla dominates the space again and human aid robots can take over hundreds of millions of jobs, you can easily get like you know, to like the large number of trillions, like close to ten trillion dollars of valuation. This is what I have in my model and what you should bang on beck On today.
Speaker 8: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of time reading the document. It's like an economic theory, right, they're basically arguing that because Tesla can scale, if they do build all of these things, there will be this sort of great economic impact around the world to people of all class economic classes. Is that something pair that is it analyst covering a specific name or specific stock that you kind of model for you go, okay, in the future, Tesla is going to change the world economy as we know it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's a very good it's a great question ed. So let's look at you know, like what is tangible at Tesla today is that's EOTO business, And let's look at what good and is do covering Tesla. You understand teslas technological you know leadership, you know, how early is it coming to the market, is what kind of deformance, what kind of features? And then you measure sort of the deformance of Tesla's course based like the cost efficiency. And so that's what we've done over the last five years looking at Tesla and what you're seeing that Tesla came into the market five years ago in large scale with really like a cosway that was not that nobody could approach, and also with like a performance, like a quality of innovations that nobody could approach today. As you see in China, local Chinese competitors are actually capable of being very competitive with Tesla in terms of innovation and in terms of cost as well. We've done very detailed analysis of the cost of manufacturing a car, bid and others versus Tesla, and what you see that they are a bass on par so that type of analytical where you can do it on a business that is actually ramping today if you look at it like in the longer term, it's more difficult to do. But what you can get from Tesla is very interesting perspective that by having a very very proactive and very integrated model and vision, they can actually hit technological and innovation leadership with by far the most advanced cause base, which is exactly where they are today on the robot Taxta front. They have the cheapest platform and the platform that today is you know, the jury is still slightly out, but probably like the highest platforming platform as well. And then of course Ilan's bet is to put Tesla in the same position with the human and robot into three years from now.
Speaker 4: Peah, you mentioned China several times.
Speaker 3: I just want to broad out out the conversation briefly. When you're looking at TSMC being limited for equipment can get in. You cover KLA, I see you cover Tokyo Electron, you cover aland research. How much these companies can be impacted by US China.
Speaker 13: Well, they're all going to you know, be sitting on their hands waiting for like directions of how the negotiation and the relationship between the US and China is going to be is going to be handled. If you take specifically like semicap equipment players, they are generating a lot of their revenue still both twenty percent of their revenues is coming from China today and to us it's an overhand it's a concern. It's probably coming down normalizing over time. So we see that as a potential, you know, headwinds on their financial performance. But you have to take things back to where they are. It's only twenty percent of their business. Yeah, that's kind of like a peakish at a peak, so it's not like a game changer for them.
Speaker 3: Of course, Pierre fair Good giving us honest on what's game changing in China New Street Research.
Speaker 4: We so appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, coming up and recent Horror It's partner Olivia Moore joins us discuss the top one hundred gen AI consumeer apps.
Speaker 4: Let's see how many you're using the supreme bak tack.
Speaker 3: And recent Horowitz has again released it's top one hundred Jannit of AI consumer apps, fifty AI first Web products at fifty top AI.
Speaker 4: First Mobile apps.
Speaker 3: And for that to discuss, we have Olivia Moore joining a sixteen Z partner on the consumer team focused on AI. We are so thankful because like many in the world, we are a wash with the latest, greatest Jenai app that we should download and when we should use it.
Speaker 4: What's interesting with.
Speaker 3: Your list is that we're starting to see basically stability.
Speaker 4: We're not seeing a whole host of new names. Each iteration app exactly yeah.
Speaker 10: On this version of the list, we only had eleven new names of the fifty on web, which was a real marked divergence from the last list when it was seventeen new names on web. And perhaps most striking to me, we've done this list five times now we do it every six months, and there were fourteen names that have made every single list, which for the fact that we're only two years into AI means that we're starting to see some really exciting stability.
Speaker 2: Olivia, mister Ela Musk has put in the spotlight recently app store methodology, so to the avoidance of any doubt, which you just go through the methodology of how Andrees and Horowitz has put this list together for the fifth time.
Speaker 10: I believe, Yeah, it's all objective data. So for our web list, we use a provider called similar Web. We rank every single website globally by the number of monthly visits, and then we take the first fifty that are generative AI native. And then on the mobile app side, we use another provider called sensor Tower. We rank them by monthly active users, and we take the first fifty again that are AI native.
Speaker 2: So there are some takeaways. Right chat GPT still dominates, as you can see on the left hand side of the screen, Google is making progress. The way I explained this to Caroline this morning and how I approach it is I'm starting to see these tools like streaming subscriptions. I use all of them, some of them I pay for. Bloomberg gives me a corporate access to chat GPT. Some of them are free, but at some point I've got to decide which I don't want any more. Does the data show any of that, like short term use moving to others.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's really interesting. There's a lot of cross app usage. Quite a few general LM products made the list, and you might expect that consumers would pick one of these, like chat GBT or Perplexity or claud or pep seek instead. What we're seeing in the early days is consumers are using all of them, but maybe for different reasons every time. But we're also seeing the emergence of things like consumer subscriptions that cost two hundred dollars a month to use the best version of CHATCHYBT in Perplexity, and so for moving towards that version of the world, we might expect to see them have to make a choice, so you're not paying thousands and thousands of dollars per month across your AI subscriptions.
Speaker 3: So blend this with a sixteen z's own perspective here on whether there will be an NLM to rule them all, whether we'll all end up defaulting to ultimately CHATCHYBT, or whether it's Gemini or Glock whether actually we will be specific and we will see that there are lanes for different apps for different use cases and they will have different benefits.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think the interesting thing about this list is CHATCHYBT is definitely in the lead. So the number two Gemini has about twelve percent of the traffic on web, so it's a very big drop off between number one and number two. But there's also an incredibly long tail here. There's app on this list that have never raised funding. There's apps on this list that have millions of users but maybe do something as specific as removing a background from a photo or generating a PowerPoint presentation. So I think our view as a firm is that we have the best models in the world from OPENINGI, Google and many other companies that they're making available through API. Some of them are even being open sourced, and that allows companies and developers that are more opinionated about products to build things that will serve customers for more specific use cases, and in many cases those customers are probably more likely to pay versus maybe using the free version of something like a CHATGBT.
Speaker 3: I think what's interesting is for the last couple of weeks we've been obsessed about how enterprise is adopting or not adopting to efficiency. The MIT report the fact that ninety five percent of pilots are ultimately not bringing ROAI. When you're thinking about consumer perspective here that some of them names.
Speaker 4: Are sort of enterprise and nature.
Speaker 3: Are people getting return on their AI investment to the amount that they need to?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're seeing a big kind of what I call the great expansion of consumer software, which is really new in the AI era, which is that previously you would see consumer companies take years, if not decades to actually transition their software to enterprise. Think about Canva took them eight plus years to even have a teams plan. Now we have companies like eleven Labs that are going from zero to hundreds of millions of revenue in two years or less. And many of these companies are actually making much, if not most, of their revenue from enterprises, which is really exciting. We do take a look at the retention data, and our data shows that for generative AI products, there's a lot of tourism. So if you're a free user, you're probably less likely to retain than you would be on a comm or a Duolingo or PREAI subscription. But if you're a paid user, you're just as likely as to retain, So that suggests that the ROI is there, at least for those consumer and prosumer users.
Speaker 2: Olivia, we've told you what we're up to. Which apps are you using and how are you using them?
Speaker 10: I have a lot of appleing use. I publish my whole stack recently. I am a power user of Chat GBT. I'm also a power user of Google on their Ultra subscription. I'm a big fan of vo three and the new Nano Banana Photoshop esque video editing image editing model that they launched. I also use a lot of products like Krea for creative tools. Gamma used to create almost all of my presentations. There's everything as specific as a product now called Happenstance that lets you search through your network much more easily than LinkedIn. I would say my top advice for anyone interested in AI is just to try the products because it's absolutely the easiest way to learn.
Speaker 3: When you're thinking about investing. I look at you know some of the names on here. Mid Journey is a fascinating case study which has never taken money and been able to scale and hold on and retain users. Where do you think the best dollar is allocated from an A sixteen zier the.
Speaker 10: Moment, Yeah, it's a good question. We invest both in the model companies themselves, many of which have grown extremely quickly, and then at the application layer companies. I think we're very focused to your earlier point about companies that are vertically oriented and our building for specific users. We talk about founders that have kind of an earned secret or a special insight and are almost maniacal about building.
Speaker 4: For a specific user.
Speaker 10: And so often these are not the extremely general, broad based products that you can do anything on, but are products that are really really specific for one or two things that users might want to do and almost become their system of record or a new core workspace or canvas for them to get things done.
Speaker 2: Olivia more Partner and jreson Horror. It's great to have you on Boomberg Tech. Thank you very much. Now coming up, these beautiful images are from the Hubble telescope, but plans for telescopes that could give us an even deeper view of space could be delayed following US budget cuts. We're going to talk about that next stay with us. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Cuts by the Trump administration are threatening to delay construction of a new powerful telescope, one that scientists say can fastly expand our understanding of the universe. US astronomers warn the setback may give China and edge in space research as bring in bluemogs. Bruce Einhorn, who's been covering this story, It's a beautifully written sort of deep dive into what these funding cuts could mean.
Speaker 4: But why US versus China? Why is this a worry from a national security perspective?
Speaker 14: Bruce, Well, the US has long been a leader in astronomy, dating back to the end of World War Two, and it's part of a broader pushed by the United States to invest in science. And you know, there are lots of spillover effects from having those sorts of investments. China is making big investments in science now. There is concern among many scientists that Trump administration's plans to reduce spendings, say by the National Science Foundation, will have in effect not just on the projects themselves, but also on the scientific ecosystem of post and graduate students and all the people who are there to make sense of all the data that gets.
Speaker 2: Generated Bruce, just really quick, is there any evidence that the US government kind of heeds the warning from the scientific community here in America.
Speaker 14: Well, we're still waiting to find out just what the budget allocation will be. Of course, the budget process is still very much underway. The administration had proposed a pretty big cut, more than fifty percent to the National Science Foundation as part of its budget proposal. There has been some pushback from Capitol Hill about that, and we're still waiting to see just how much money will get allocated.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Bruce Einhorn, thank you very much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Carrow markets in focus because of the mag seven declines. But what an episode it has been to start a short week.
Speaker 3: Only twelve stocks eleven now in the green run then as that one hundred.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to check out all.
Speaker 3: Of our coverage on our podcast to find on the terminal as well as online on Apple Spotify.
Speaker 4: And iHeart great to have you back in. This is Boomberg Tech