Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm John Tucker. Here are these stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: The first group of Israeli hostages is expected to leave the Gaza Strip soon in a deal that's meant to return fifty of the nearly two hundred and forty captives that Hamas took from Israel. Israel plans to release one hundred and fifty jailed Palestinians. All involved are women and people under the age of nineteen. This stop in fighting is intended to last for four days. It marks the first major lull in this war since it began October seventh. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who says the military offensive will go on after that.
Speaker 4: We hope to get this first tronch out and then we're committed to getting everyone out, but we'll continue with our fore aims namly to eradicate Kamas, because Kamas has already promised that they will do this again and again and again.
Speaker 3: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who says he has delivered that same message in a phone call to President Biden.
Speaker 2: We had along with a hostage release, the deal will also allow for more AID into Gaza. Bloomberg's owner Aunt says the humanitarian aid is critical for the people at Gaza.
Speaker 5: The very first trucks that went in we're carrying cooking gas, which obviously is very critical for more than two million people are currently living in Gaza in what the UN calls a dire humanitarian situation.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's owner Aunt reports Palestinians were emerging from temporary shelters and crowded the streets as southern Gaza as the AID trucks entered.
Speaker 3: Back in the US, we want to bring you update from the events that unfolded on the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls this week. New York Governor Kathy Hochel says that bridge is back open after a car explosion on Wednesday killed two people and closed that crossing between the US and Canada. Hockel says there is no sign of terrorism so far. She adds a suspect of ties to Western New York has been identified. Investigation will determine if the blast was intentional or an accident.
Speaker 2: The holiday shopping season kicks into full swing today, with shoppers searching for Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Deloitte Saniel Thanksgiving survey. He finds consumers plan on spending and average almost five hundred and seventy dollars on both days. That's up thirteen percent from last year. And Bert Flickinger managed Rector with Strategic Resource Groups. As shoppers are feeling confident, however, they're using a new tool this shopping season.
Speaker 6: It's going to be by now, pay later. Fifteen percent of all purchases will be that way, and consumers are still taking on credit card debt, but sixty three percent of consumers will be buying with debit card and trying to put less on credit as interest rates have climbed and the average household has seventeen thousand and revolving unpaid credit card debt.
Speaker 2: Bert Flickinger with Strategic Resource Groups. As many consumers plan to do much of the shopping during Black Friday and Cyber Monday in order with their spending.
Speaker 3: Limits, traders are going to be following the traditional kickoff of the holiday shopping season today as well as SMP Global Manufacturing PMI data that comes after the Eco data dump we saw on Wednesday. It showed a drop in jobless claims and expectations that inflation will climb from the University of Michigan sentiment poll. The bond market is open till two pm Wall Street time today, and the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq close at one.
Speaker 2: And we're also following financial news in Europe this morning. Starting in the banking sector, Barkley's aiming to reduce costs by as much as one point three billion dollars over the next several years and could cut up to two thousand back office jobs that's about two percent of its workforce. This according to a report from Reuter's. Bloomberg's Jenny Serdaine says investors are looking for a renewed strategy after a disappointing third quarter.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of this is driven by investors just really being unhappy with how this company has been run. And so you've got you know, vin Kata Krishnan, their CEO, who's really looking at trying to take some big, bold moves here and promising that he's going to have a strategy update that will really make clear how to bring Barklays out of this position that they're in.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Jenny Strain says Barkleys could make more cuts in other areas outside the back office. Barkley's share is down about eleven and a half percent this year.
Speaker 3: And checking those shares now John they're up about a half percent in the pre market in London. Staying in Europe, the economic picture is getting darker in Germany. The German government is suspending a constitutional limit on net new borrowing for a fourth straight year as it struggles to recover from an energy induced downturn last winter. This move to lift the so called debt break will be part of a revised twenty twenty three budget. Chancellor Olof Schultz's government was forced into a radical budget overhaul after a ruling last week from the nation's top court.
Speaker 2: And turning to Asia, the Chinese government ramping up pressure on banks to support struggling real estate developers. Bloomberg's David English has more.
Speaker 8: We here, trying to may allow banks to offer unsecured short term loans to qualified developers for the first time. These so called working capital loans would offer funds for day to day operations. The loans are different from other types of debt that require land or assets as collateral. We reported that authorities are finalizing this list of developers eligible for that aid. Sources say the list includes Country Garden and sign a Ocean Group. Country Garden shares jump twenty four percent yesterday on word that it was included in that list in Hong Kong. I'm David Ingliss Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, David, thanks to earlier this week, oh Peck plus pushback and gathering to finalize output levels for next year by four days to November thirtieth. Now, the group says that meeting will take place online and now it's time to take a look at some of the other stories making news around the world with Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 9: Good Morning, Michael, Good Morning, Nathan and Ireland. Violent clashes broke out in central Dublin after a five year old girl was seriously injured in a NiFe attack that also saw a woman and two other young children hospitalized. Police and the attack happened near a school. Soon after, at least one hundred people took to the street, some armed with metal bars. Police said. Over four hundred officers, including many and riot gear were deployed in Dublin city center to contain the unrest. The head of the Irish Police Guarded Commissioner Drew Harris.
Speaker 10: We have a complete lunatic hooligan faction driven by far right ideology, and also then this disruptive tendency here engaged in serious violence.
Speaker 9: Commissioner Harris says a person of interest, a man in his fifties, was arrested at the scene. New York City Mayor Eric Adams has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman in nineteen ninety three. The three page legal document does not contain details of the alleged assault. Adams denied the allegations.
Speaker 11: Absolutely not true.
Speaker 4: You know, I would never do anything to anyone, and it's just really.
Speaker 9: Say, you know, my career.
Speaker 4: Speaks for itself.
Speaker 9: The suit comes just hours before New York's Adult Survivor's Act expires, which eliminates the statute of limitations for accusers of sexual abuse to come forward. The filing seeks a trial and five million dollars in relief. Evacuation orders have been lifted near the scene of a tank or train derailment in eastern Kentucky. The trains operator CSXAS sixteen cars went off the rails Wednesday afternoon near the small town of Livingstone, Dustin Heiser with Kentucky Emergency management throughout this entire event.
Speaker 1: The safety of the public has been our number one concern.
Speaker 9: The derailment sent dangerous fumes into the air. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterrees is visiting Antarctica just before the COP twenty eight climate talks begin. Gu Terras called the continent's warming devastating warming air and ocean temperatures are causing Antarctic ice to melt. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Ninth It him Michael.
Speaker 3: Thanks. You can get much more Bloomberg on your dashboard with the new Bloomberg Business App featuring Apple Car Play and Android Auto. You get access to every Bloomberg podcast, live audio feeds from Bloomberg Radio, even print stories in audio form from Bloomberg News. Download it from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Connect your phone to your car and get started with the Bloomberg Business App. Presented by our sponsor, Interactive Brokers. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, brought to you by tri State Outing.
Speaker 12: Good morning, Nathan, the NFL at the triple header on Thanksgiving, the Packers knocking off the lines in Game one twenty nine to twenty two of the Cowboys dominated the Commanders in Game two opics and stays in the block.
Speaker 11: That's to late on Hawker. Is that bliand news gott it you streaking out the sideline?
Speaker 3: He's not hol depeat.
Speaker 11: If he does, he's gonna play the record of a gain. He slipped through three Commanders defenders at clinics at out and he scores. That is his fifth fix six of the season.
Speaker 12: That's courtesy of the Cowboys Radio Network, Dallas dominating the Commanders forty five to ten in Dallas, while in Game three is the forty nine Ers all over the Seattle Seahawks thirty one to thirteen. Coming up today, kick off at three pm Eastern Time at Mettlife Stadium in New Jersey. It's the New York Jets hosting the Dolphins. New York comes in losers of three straight. End has made a quarterback change as Tim Boyle takes over for Zach Wilson. Offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackid talking about Boyle, he.
Speaker 13: Has an unbelievable knowledge of the system. He has a tenacity when it comes to his preparation. I mean, he NonStop, from everything from every single drawing to every single thing on the game sheet. He prepares truly like a starter and has since day one.
Speaker 12: That's courtesy of ny Jets dot Com. In the NBA, a more in season tournament action. Today, the Knicks are home for the Heat. The Celtics on the road of the Magic. It's the Wizards playing at the Milwaukee Bucks. The Warriors are hosting the San Antonio Spurs. That's your Bloomberg Sports update. I'm Dan Schwarzman.
Speaker 4: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. We continue to monitor developments in the Middle East, where the first pause in fighting between Israel and Hummas in more than six weeks appears to be holding, and it comes after weeks of delicate talks aimed at releasing some of the nearly two hundred and forty hostages that HUMMAS captured in the deadly October seventh attack on Israel. For more, we are joined by Bloomberg's Henry Mayer, who is part of our team of reporters who has been covering this war in the Gaza strip since it began. Henry, good morning. Get us up to speed on developments thus far are since it does look as though this truth is underway and does appear to be holding.
Speaker 14: Yes, good morning. Well, the truth started at about seven o'clock in the morning local time, and they haven't been any indications of any violations. And you know the importance next stage is going to be the release of thirteen hostages which are being held in Gaza currently. That is expected at four pm local time, and on the same day at thirty nine Palestinian prisoners. All of these are women and people aged under the age of nineteen children in the case of the hostages, and in the prisons you're looking at youths aged under nineteen. So you know, I can't stress how difficult this process has been to even get where we are today. It took weeks of very very difficult diplomacy, secret diplomacy. It broke down at certain stages. But of course, you know the problem is that it's for four days only today have been for the Gaza residents two point one million of them who've been living under daily bombardment for almost seven weeks. Today they finally came out, They left the shelter, they were able to walk around. But of course, at the back of their minds is they know that this arrangement may only last for four days, could be extended up to ten. But we don't know that yet.
Speaker 3: Before we get to what comes after, we do need to continue to discuss what comes in the midst of this pause. Part of this deal was to get more humanitarian aid into Gaza as well. Have we seen signs of progress there?
Speaker 14: Yes, we have. You know, there are trucks which are entering through the border with Egypt, the Rapha crossing. We understand from HOMAS officials border officials they expect two hundred trucks to enter Gaza today. This is significantly more than has been allowed to Gaza in recent weeks, but it's still much less than used to come prior to the war, five hundred a day. So the amount of aid that Gaza needs, you know, is way more than what is going to becoming in the next few days. But obviously it's a step in the right direction.
Speaker 3: And what about the distribution of that aid, because We've heard reports from the United Nations and other non governmental organizations in the area that they have suffered through these bombardments over the last several weeks as well. I mean, what's the difficulty in getting aid into and distributed through Gaza when we've seen so much destruction over the last several weeks.
Speaker 14: Well, obviously one of the greatest difficulties is the fact that you have an active war zone and it's extremely dangerous to move around. Secondly, there's an acute lack of fuel, so Israel imposed a complete blockade on fuel deliveries initially, and in the recent a week or so it has been allowing in very small quantities of fuel to be used only by the United Nations for transportation purposes. But the quantities of fuel coming in the UNSA that they're completely inadequate for its operations. So yeah, that is something which is still a big problem in.
Speaker 3: The time we have left, Henry, Let's talk about what comes after this pause. We did hear from Israel's Prime Minister, and we've heard from him several times that he does not want the war to end even after this pause expires, but he is under a lot of pressure, particularly from the United States to at least change some of the conduct of this war. What can we expect going forward.
Speaker 14: I mean, I think that the pressure is only going to increase, and it's not only international pressure, and you mentioned the United States, that's very important. At the same time, there's a domestic issue here, the issue of the hostages. Two hundred and forty were taken into Gaza until now only a handful have been released. Fifty are going to be set free over the next four days. Some of these people are going to be giving interviews, They are going to you know, the public awareness of the hostagism and the kind of conditions in which they are living in Gaza is going to be accentuated, and I think that is going to be something that will weigh very heavily on the Israeli government. Probably not sufficient to get them to stop the conflict at this stage, but I think we are getting closer to that point.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Easter each morning, on Apple's Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius xmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 2: I'm John Tucker. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg day Break