Speaker 1: Ready m.
Speaker 2: M m.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Welcome to bro Pad with Dan Henry. Y'all got some questions. We got what you need, whether you're sitting in your house, old your truck, crank that die and turned this song. Yeah, crank it on us. Thanks to meeting and ren to cover us. Bringing God's Country straight to you. You all you a little different intro for y'all this this week. Yep, bro Pod coming at you. Why are why why are.
Speaker 3: We not calling it the Bronus episode.
Speaker 1: Bron because it's not a Bronus episode.
Speaker 3: This is a still bro Nest.
Speaker 1: But this is a this is like a regular Tuesday episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not gonna be a video element with this one. So we're just, uh, we're just we're just rocking with it, kind of freestyling man freestyle. Yeah, kind of had some guests fall off that we couldn't get in damn with on vacation. We were hunting for a few days. Then we flew down to New Orleans. It was just crazy. JazzFest was nuts, dude. I probably need to talk about that.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say, man, like I don't love New Orleans. I never really have too. Voo dooy too too tricky, too voo doo. I'm just tricky ricky down to Look. I love the musical element and I love the food element.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bros, crawfish, that's about it, dude. I don't really, I don't really. Yeah, it's a super super artsy place. Maybe that's what it is for me. It's too artsy for me. I'm just as it's just different, man, I'm meeting dude. Well, right, I mean, we're we're we're we're southern. We're good old boys, country brednecks, and that New Orleans is not that.
Speaker 3: All that to say. We jumped in, uh with Luke and got to go down there and watch him play jazz Fest and he played Preservation Hall.
Speaker 1: That was sick, dude. I had no clue about it. And if you don't know what Preservation Hall is, go look it up. It was a it's like this old house and they started this like house band in the sixties, like sixty one or something like that. And now they've in it's own, like Bourbon Street. It's just downtown New Orleans, I guess, not not downtown, but Bourbon Street whatever that is. And uh, they've they've like turned this house and preserved it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't even really call it a house. It's more like it's because it's down to it's.
Speaker 1: In the anymore. Well, I mean we were sitting in bedrooms back there in the green room with those guys. Those were their bedrooms. One of the guys that was in the band, the tuba player, that was his house. He grew up here.
Speaker 3: That is true. He did say that.
Speaker 1: And so like this band they play every night, there's a house band every night and there's like sixty players that rotate in and out. But some of these guys playing their grandfathers and fathers started this, this jazz band, and now it's one of the most renowned. I mean, Luke just did it. And when we say like small room, eighty people get to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But that courtyard was cool though. You remember you remember the courtyard, that's where we stood. And the sound was great out there. Man, that was awesome.
Speaker 1: The video they had the video, but look like a movie.
Speaker 3: Here's a little exclusive that we're gonna take you all into because if you ask me, the sound check.
Speaker 1: We're just jumping into this episode. By the way, this is we're rocking for. The sound check was better than no doubt the show to me. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna give you a little taste of what happened when we got there. Luke Goes in the band is literally walking in off the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, showing up like just kind of popping in. And so you'll hear it's Luke's already sound checking and some of the Horns guys are getting there as he sound checking and just jumped diving into the song.
Speaker 3: I just want y'all to hear because I just I don't even know if I'm supposed to take video of this, but I snuck a little video. You know. I didn't post it because I was scared, like maybe they come after me. But I'm gonna play it because I want you to hear these guys. This is the first time they've ever played.
Speaker 1: Is this kind of love? Should I do? Kind of love? Yeah? Absolutely? Is this kind of our song? He did four songs. Check this out. Listen to the horns just start popping. Kurt played slide with go here, come.
Speaker 3: I'll see this horn stop popping in.
Speaker 1: Here, the bass come here, bass starts quack, piano getting loose. One of the Neville one of the nevill guys was playing the keys.
Speaker 3: Here a guitar, blacker kill.
Speaker 4: And in this sound check there's maybe twelve people in this room. Anyway, it was bro and Luke wasn't even trying to, Like I think it almost we know him and what I'm saying. He went into something in that soundshaw like he was doing whole He did that whole song and it's because like eyes were closed. It was like he's playing a stadium, because I mean the group there's like the where those horns took you man, and you could tell, like we.
Speaker 3: Explain, I need to explain a little bit though, because it's hard to understand. It's hard to understand what we're talking about if you don't know what we're talking about. And what I mean by that is Luke's band is great, Like he is a great band. Luke Studio players are literally the best players in the world. These guys are the top one percent of jazz players and the planet and the planet, and so when you bring them a song, you could tell even in the as you're listening and you're not even in the business or even really no music, you can feel that warmth start coming through as the song progressed. Right, Well, what you're what you're feeling there is these players finding their pocket and finding their groove and their rhythm, and they swing a whole lot harder than your average country band. I'm sorry, then you're above average country band right there. Their feel is so much more jazz influenced, which is which is more feel than country. Yeah, than technical, so still extremely technical. I mean they know, of course, they knew what they were doing, but there's such a I mean jazz, there's an emotion, there's an emotion to it. It's based on on feel and essentially ad living as a as a musician, right, And so you're hearing the horns develop their parts and kind of pop in like Okay, here's the chords we want to hit, and then maybe saxophone takes a run here, maybe trumpet kind of does a thing here, and that's not a normal sound for country music.
Speaker 1: So it was very I think it was.
Speaker 3: Inspiring to hear his songs kind of like revamped, and it also put him in a spot to where like he wanted to sing man, Yeah, he wanted to perform and that was fun.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the instrument with the sliding trombone?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: What too? But yeah, the trombone. Those trumpbone players were like the the like gassing it down over on. Yeah, it was I was. We didn't even get to go in. It was so packed when they did, like the main show. But just sliding in there and watching sound check was probably one of the coolest. I mean, especially to hear him play kind of Love. I think I was standing beside Harp and he was like how that man, and I was like, bro, Honestly, this is probably one of the coolest moments in my musical like professional career.
Speaker 3: It was nice.
Speaker 1: Was sitting there seeing those guys pick up a song that you know, we helped pen And and Luke sing it. It was it was sick, man, It was sick.
Speaker 3: If you had a chance down there, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: But even if you don't know what we're talking about, just YouTube and yeah, yeah, no, I think you like, I think that that courtyard, I think you just get in like that's field.
Speaker 3: But I think you have to buy tickets way earlier, so I don't think you can just pop in there that night.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a bluebird thing for us, Like yeah, but I don't know if that's like the actual eighty seat thing or the courtyard whereverybody.
Speaker 3: Was anyway, if you had to check, there's not going to be a bad night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Even just read about the history of it is super cool. Man.
Speaker 3: Think Dave Matthews played like that, not before of us anyway, until.
Speaker 1: Rubber Plant was in there that same way, rubber Plant, Dave Matthews and LC.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So all that's say, New Orleans is very cool.
Speaker 1: Uh jazz fish, yeah, bumping it was cool man.
Speaker 3: We had a bunch of Crawfish and Proaggator and that stuff.
Speaker 1: Was listening to Marvel's already played before, uh before Luke the Castlos We were before Luke and that was cool man. Just walking around and seeing like you had, you know, mainstream country on one stand one stage, and then you walked over and you saw like a Ray Gay band or a jazz band.
Speaker 3: That heritage stage was cool. They were playing jazz all day long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some other Jone Jett was playing the same time Luke was playing on another maiden main stage. People everywhere. Yeah, it was sick.
Speaker 3: Then we popped, uh popped pop pop a little.
Speaker 1: Did I left my detel? I left my pillow in New Orleans at that hotel. Yeah, I thought you were getting back. Well, I hung up on him the first time because it was so She was like yeah. I was like, how do I get it back? She was like, send me an email. I was like, what's your email adress? She was like, b e I in. I couldn't say so, And we were about to go turkey hunting and so bennye benye a Marriott and so anyway, I hung up on her. But then I was I bought a new pillow and tried to sleep on it. Here my pillows elite, So I'm getting it back.
Speaker 3: What are you doing with your other pillow?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna send it back? What was it? It was supposed to be like I just typed in best pillows.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought it was the purple thing.
Speaker 1: Was No, that's the one we got at the lodge. It Yeah, it was good, a little soft. Yeah, it's not as cool as uh as.
Speaker 3: It was pretty cold man, that pillow was cold? Is that what you're going for?
Speaker 1: Like? Cold? Yes?
Speaker 3: I need structure.
Speaker 1: I need support, cold and support. That's what this Because my head is so big. But Jordan I was like hey. I was like, I was like, let's just get another pillow. She was like, the ones we got I was like, yeah, le's just go get it. She's like it's like two hundred some dollars and I was like, yeah, I'm not just going and getting another one of those. When I can go make a create a label for thirty bucks and send it to him, they'll ship it to me. Create a label. I had to go to ups and create a So are they sending it to Yeah, they sending to me. They had it after a week they found it, well, they found it the night after we left because they just kept it for a week at the front desk. Dang, that's awesome. They're like the black one with the silk and I was like, that's it. Man.
Speaker 3: They should have told that to that home. Hopefully they don't listen to this podcast. Maybe they sent sent before then. Anyway, So then we went Turkey Hutton and chasing Rio's and man, that was probably well, you know what there should we answer questions to get into this or should we just go.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could talk about turkeys for the rest of it, we could talk about that trip for the rest of them. And I think we need to touch on because we hadn't really talked about this is the first time me and you have done a podcast since Turkey scene started, and we have have had tons of great hunts, tons that we hadn't talked about. We really hadn't talked about it. Maybe we should just go Maybe we just go turkey hunting Turkey season, okay? Or should we answer some questions?
Speaker 3: Well, that's gonna take us there anyway. So maybe we could.
Speaker 1: Kill a couple of birds one shot. Okay, random, this is not turkey. We're gonna jump in the fan questions here. We're just gonn answer two or three. Then we'll get into the turkey once.
Speaker 3: Okay, what keeps you inspired musically hunting?
Speaker 1: What are we talking about life? That's the question. What keeps you inspired?
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 3: There's probably a musical yeah, probably element to that.
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what. There are seasons of being a songwriter. And at the beginning, I feel like my inspiration was I felt like I had something to say, right, Like I I felt like I had and I still do. But what I'm saying is there there are seasons that passes and goes, and sometimes there there isn't inspiration, right.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of those times. So for me, it's like, especially in these days when I look at the first front end.
Speaker 3: When I look at the front end of my career, I was inspired a lot, and I think it was because I was mega hungry to to prove myself as a writer and to uh to get what I had in me out right. And then there's also now I would say, well, there's different seasons through that throughout the thing. Sometimes it was a girl. Sometimes it was my wife after But no, I'm saying I was writing songs before I met my wife. Yeah, sometimes it was a girl.
Speaker 1: It's not yet now, it's not about now.
Speaker 3: It's not about a girl. It's about my wife. And you know, you have kids in that element. Sometimes you're inspired by the woods. Sometimes you're inspired by my dad. Sometimes he says really dumb things and then something somethings he says. It's it's like it's almost like when he's trying to give me a song idea, it's never a great idea, but when he was just talking, but when he's just being a human, I get stuff from him all the time. I think that's tough to understand. Uh, we get that asked a lot. Where the songs come from, and sometimes it is work. Sometimes you just make it happen. But also, and that's the cool thing about being a co writer and why I feel like we have to do it is because the other person in the room can and you can like feed on that inspiration and go, oh man, that meant something to you. Let's do that or just.
Speaker 1: Write it, just ride that inspiration, coattail to the finish line of that song and do something for sure.
Speaker 3: So so so there's there's there's multiple ways. As as far as like staying inspired. I can't say that I stay inspired all the time.
Speaker 1: But I think anybody that tells you that would be they be lying. So for me, it's really just far anything game.
Speaker 3: Amen. I know this is so cliche, but it's like it's family and woods probably for me that really keep me that And just like the human spirit, I do. I enjoy people's stories. My wife says that all the time. She's like, man, you talk to everybody, and I do. And if I'm sitting beside you on an airplane, there's a good chance unless my kids are screaming in my face. I like to know where people are from and what makes them tick, and why they're alive and why they're traveling to destin or wherever, you know what I mean, Like, I think communication is a big way to stay inspired. I think just being in the woods is a big way to be inspired. I could segue into a turkey hunt from here, okay, And then I think my family inspires me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in my faith that inspires me to yeah you oh, I mean all that. It's the same, it's the same, you know. I feel like that's probably if a songwriter was to get in here and say that would probably be a lot of the answers. I think something that inspires me, and this is this is random at random times, but other music inspires me most of the time. I don't listen to any music because it we're so engulfed and it's so involved when we're creating it every day, where songs like this inspire you do it one more time, mom, Now that inspires my three year old. I'm two year old.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good on the look for just learning good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, man, I mean and listen, we write country music, and there are times that I'll throw on you know, pop music, rock music, jazz music, like like it just keeping just keeping the wheels, tournament and and the and the the brain engaged, and how other genres are doing it and other people are writing songs, and how other people are turning hooks, and yeah, listen to a lot of I listened to that Bentley's and uh beer Bo.
Speaker 3: That Bill Bill Bongs, Bill Bongs and Bentley whatever it is while I was working with the playhouse today, just to go back and maybe going cycle.
Speaker 1: We listened you know what we listened last night? He'd be Hiding? Is that little yachty, Little Yachty?
Speaker 3: That's old rap now, yeah, I know, I mean like the guys I'm listening to in the gym key glog.
Speaker 1: I got into rap the rap life thing the other day and listened to all the young Gunna and all those guys.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna gon, sorry, you're talking about young, the.
Speaker 1: Young the but yeah, man, but and then other than that, the going back to the question that people people say, yeah, man, how what do you how do how do you write a song? Or how do you even start? And I always tell people like, man, if me and you are writing a song, and and I was like, man, what you know you got anything, got any ideas? And you said, oh man, I was. I was talking with my buddy last week, and he said, like, YadA, YadA, YadA. I put in my phone. I read, he reads the title out, the idea out, and that to him could mean something completely different than it means to me. But it could inspire me to lock into you know, a a core memory or a thought. Yeah, and expound on that and boom and you know, maybe in an hour, maybe in a few different writing sessions, you've got a complete thought on a song. Next question, what keeps you inspired? I like this one, this one comes. Yeah, I'm buying my first gear and tackle box. We'll be fishing lakes in the southeast. What I need, bro, let me give it to you straight, go get it. Look, it's May, we're not talking about early April.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 1: So what do I do we talk about right now or the I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Think you should Okay, now, you're right, you should do an overview of what you need in tackle box and then maybe do specifically right now and then at.
Speaker 1: The end, let me just start the season. Let me just go from like left to right from if you're fishing and all right, but if we're gonna get more questions, we gotta keep it pump yeah, yeah, okay, Uh January. Don't fish in January if if you're just starting out unless you want to. They're gonna be slow, They're not gonna be biting. It's gonna be really tough. If you're if you're gonna be fishing January, go down to Okachobe and you can smash them on on ah just throwing lily pads and stuff in the southeast the beginning of March. This is really like the first year that I dove into this kind of theory and kind of learned this thing. But in the beginning March, when water temps are getting mid forties, getting into the fifties, crawfish are beginning to shed their exterior shell and they're putting on that new shell. So when they when they shed that one in the in middle March, tim water TIMPs about fifty degrees, they shed that hard exterior old exoskeleets exoskeleton nice. And when they do that, they're they're soft, and they're they're a really bright red and Dude.
Speaker 3: I read that this year, it sounds like that, sounds like you're at the beach, just soft and red.
Speaker 1: It's soft, really soft and red.
Speaker 3: If bass went to the beach, they would eat you.
Speaker 1: Destroy me, especially the middle of March. How many bass did we catch on those on those shallow diving one and a half XD's this is a Kevin Davan dam. But uh a crank a crawfish bright red crank ba three hours mid March. You want to crank bait. They're they're they're getting hungry, they're getting there. Go with a you can you can throw the spinner bait, you know, something like that.
Speaker 3: That's it's been five minutes and you've only done January March. That's March getting into April. Water temps are still getting up. You can still throw.
Speaker 1: I would move on to like a minnow of the shad are starting to to to shout out, I guess, and I would just get at just a shallow run crank bait for shad uh shadows silver and black, I mean really anything silver and blue, anything that shines in the laws like a red. Always like a red crank well, I mean not a red, but not when you're throwing shad. Know, when you're throwing for shads silver and red, or when you're trying to replicate shad silver and black, you'll smash right now. Put you on go get you a bag of r zoom, baby brush hog, the six inch, put it on a three out hook Texas, rig it and go pitch logs and would bound test. I mean, if you're pitching, I would do nothing less than twenty and you can go spider or whatever. But that, uh, that that new like monofilament they're making is great too. Anything that will disappear in the water column, baby brush hog, a lizard, green pumpkin, little red flake, purple flake, pitch wood. Right now, the water temps maybe in the seventies and bro at the high sixties, and you will you will rip fish out of the lake all day long, all right, fall go fall. I love it. I love a like an October September October. That water TIMPs trying to flip. Still still got some hot days. You're still getting some cold days, so they're still staying in that top water column. I love a I love a black top water spinning bait or what's it called.
Speaker 3: I like the baby bays too, popper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pop the pauper is great too, but like a black and with a blue you know, flashy crawl dude, of what am I the one that now chatter bait stays under anyway, it's a top water bait. I can't believe. I can't think of that right now. But that's what you need in the southeast. But if you're trying to fish right now, if you just bought go get baby brush hogs and go uh go pitch go pitch wood, you'll catch fish. All right, Let's get into turkey hunt because we get we're going to talk for the rest of this. I like this question, and this is going to lead into a lot of stuff. This is coming for sure, man, underscore Andre, so sure, man, Andre. What's your favorite time to hunt for turkey's morning or afternoon? And what are some of the most deadly turkey tips? Love your podcast, keep up the good work. Hey, thanks Dray, Thanks Drey. I ain't forgot about you. What's your favorite time to hunt for turkey's morning or afternoon?
Speaker 3: Morning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, morning, everybody knows. Yeah, there's some guys that will that will.
Speaker 3: Now. Look, I do love a midday loan Goblin glar.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's it's almost over. It's almost over if you if you go on Goblin midday by himself at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's so many let's start with our season.
Speaker 1: It's very situational. I think there's not like just a list of go into the woods and do this, this, this, this this, and you're gonna have better success.
Speaker 3: Here's what I would say about morning hunt. If I know that I that I've got a spot that has birds and there's a good chance of me getting on a roost bird, that this is a talk that I'm talking about this like I haven't gone to stop.
Speaker 1: No good, Oh God, looks I can stop.
Speaker 3: Uh if we're talking about going to a place where I know we have birds and we didn't, we're not roosting them the night before, which honestly, bro wink got no time for that. Anyway, these days you kind of have to just wing it at this point, with our kids going to bed so late, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We just kind of get in the area.
Speaker 3: And so we get into an area. Prime example of this was our opening morning hunt, Me and reading our dad pop down to a farm and uh literally left at like four that morning, bombed a couple hours and uh got down.
Speaker 1: There, yeah, and and and and had an idea where the birds would probably be.
Speaker 3: And as we got in there really early, sure enough we were somewhat surrounded. And by surrounded, I mean we had three birds goblin triangulating kind of where we were set up. It was a pretty pretty great spot to be in. Yeah, and so uh so we've got birds on the roost. What you're trying to do? Uh in that situation, Like you said, it's very situational. In that situation, I think all you want to do is find the gobbler that's not with hens.
Speaker 1: Right early season, these birds are gonna be roosted with hens. They're gonna have hens around them. The hens are gonna be talking to them. They're gonna know which ones are there, which ones are not. And Yeah, what Dan's saying is is continue to get a bird goblin and and and birds are gonna gobble more when they're on the roost, when they're just waking up, they're gonna start goblin. They're gonna gobble more until they hit the ground when they when they when they fly down and hit the ground. If they've got hens with them, most of the turkeys are gonna shut up. But there might be that one, maybe maybe that two pack that continues to gobble. And if you if you've continually got a goblin berg after he gobbles at you on the roost, and he flies and he's looking for a mate. He's looking, he's looking for him, And as.
Speaker 3: Long as you're not ripping the hell out of your lynch box call, you can you can play the game with that bird. But my thing is, I heard an old man told me this one time and I've lived on it, is you basically need to be doing what you hear the other hens doing. So if they're aggressively calling as soon as they hit the ground, that's probably what you need to be. Probably not as much as they are, but you need to be in the ballpart of what that hen's doing. If the hens hit the ground and they're not saying anything, then you better super light, not aggressive, just kind of you know, some tree ups here and there, maybe some person clucks a little sleigh pull just to kind of you want to sound like a turkey man. You don't want to sound like that crazy desperate turkey going nuts that these birds had never heard before, unless he's gobbling at everything you throw at him and then you just pull him on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it changes too early season what we're talking about, maybe definitely any hunt, but it changes when you can see the turkey if you if you're hammering box called he's off. You can't seem, but you hear him, and he sounds like he's coming. Let him come, lay off a little bit until he gobbles again. If he doesn't sound like he's made any movement, game coming. And then when you see him, that's when the game really starts.
Speaker 3: I mean it depends once again. This is such a situational are we talking you know you're talking decoys, No decoys. It's kind of up to you. I would say this if you're a beginning turkey hunter, decoys are a great way to pull a bird in cloube and kind of keep that bird from staring you down. Now, it is super fun for us to not use decoys and to try to trick the bird into coming in within shotgun range searching for the hen that's making the noise.
Speaker 1: But it's also real fun for us to and this is a great early season decoy set up one hen, one half struck jake. Any dominant bird that sees that, Any subdominant long beard that sees that and sees a jake with a hen when he don't have one is gonna have a problem with that. Yeah, and so it's also fun to throw those out in a road bed and sit off twenty yards, fifteen yards, ten yards, soft com pull and soft call that joker into the decoy set and watch him flog the hell out of that jake and then put a three and a half in his head.
Speaker 3: So to answer that, early morning is arguably our favorite time to hunt. But I don't really like hunt birds going back to the roost. I don't love that. I mean, if I'm out somewhere and we.
Speaker 1: Have I'm not mad at him enough to do that either. Yeah, not either.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But what I what I do love is going on just like a day hike and uh, you know, hitting some calls here in there and have one pop. Now, can I get into my store? Yes?
Speaker 1: But this is this is this is setting up a great deadly tip. As Dan's saying, these birds are gonna fly off the roost, They're gonna mate with their hens, They're gonna hang on to them for as long as they can in the morning, and then when they're done with that, those hens are going to break off from them and go sit. And then that's when ten o'clock ten thirty, those those birds that have made it in the morning, will then again start looking for more Hens.
Speaker 3: Might not, God will. And you know what, one thing I've really so.
Speaker 1: The deadly tip is if you don't have any luck in the morning, you got all day, hang out, Go eat you some breakfast, go get you Papa McDonald's.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Take a little walk.
Speaker 3: My last hunt in Tennessee, nobody could go, re couldn't go. And I took just half a week off and I went to a spot we've got and I just decided I was going to make a day of it. I put chomps in my bag, I put protein shakes in my bag, I put two bottles of water, I put you know, some calls, my knife. I had everything, and I was like, I'm just and I did. I parked at the top of the hill and just started walking and I got down there in time to hunt roosts. No birds, goblin anywhere. Unbeknownst to me, the grass had gotten real tall down there in the bottom and it was super wet, and there weren't birds anywhere. But it was just fun. This is a family place. Me and reading dad of hunted for years, and so it's kind of just nice. To be in the woods and walk around a little bit. And so I hunted there nothing. I walked probably another half mile, made some calls, nothing, and I just decided I was going to climb this ridge. And I climbed this super tall ridge and got set up. And by set up, I mean I just sat down and made some calls and nothing gobbled. And I called Read and was like, man, this place beautiful, you know. And I remember you were in the truck going to play golf that day and you were like, just let the just put it on speakerphone and let me hear the birds.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was playing golf, you were playing. I was playing golf.
Speaker 3: I thought you were in your truck.
Speaker 1: On oh maybe maybe yeah, maybe that morning.
Speaker 3: You and so uh, it's just such a fun time to be in the woods. And it was like, fifty five degrees are the best? Maybe sixty five in the hottest part of the day. No, that's wrong. It was what it was sixty five degrees because it was eight o'clock in the morning, nine o'clock in the morning. So I kept walking and I went on down to a food plot we have and I called around the food plot. Nothing and I was like, man, I'm just gonna my my My feet were soaked because I had walked through that tall grass and got so wet. So I took my boots off and I opened them up and got some fresh in. I hung my socks up, and I just chilled ate of chumps, drank catoray, just kind of hung out there for a minute. About eleven o'clock. It was eleven o'clock. I looked at my watch and I was like, man, if I start hiking right now, I can hike these two ridges and be back to my truck by one thirty. Then I can fly to Ashville or to Columbia where we live, and I can be literally fly yeah yeah, drive, and I can be home an hour by four o'clock. My kids get home, you know, from school at three anyway, So I was like, I'm gonna get up and walk. So I started walking, and I'm coming up this clearing and I'm like, man, I probably shouldn't make it through this clearing before I hit a call. And and this is the deadly tip that I've been coming to. And this is probably not some secret information, but I'm realizing as the days start to heat up, because it was probably eighty at this point, getting into the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they want to be up in the shade.
Speaker 3: They don't want to be out in the sun. Man, they don't know, and they'll bug and stuff like that. But then these big old.
Speaker 1: Gods want to be down. I think that I don't think they want to be down in a holler. I don't. I think they want to be somewhere exposed to where winds coming through, where they're feeling, they're feeling some air mode.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't. I just know that they don't like sitting out in the sun, just like we don't like just baking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agreed.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're talking about feathers and heat, and I could be completely wrong with this, but it seems like over the past ten years, I've been noticing that that midday stuff usually takes place and in some shade, whether it's hardwoods or maybe like a pond bottom. I mean, they'll come out. I'm not saying they won't come out into a food plight to check something out, but it seems like predominantly their hens where they want to be. They want to be there. So as I'm coming up the hill, I'm going through this clearing and I'm like, man, if there was a bird on this ridge, he's going to be over that knob. And I was like, ah, wait till you get through the clearing. But my mind's telling me noe.
Speaker 1: And I was like.
Speaker 3: Up on this hill and I was like, son of a I knew this was going to happen. So I just take off dead sprint get to where I need to be. And this I just the only cover I could really find, cause it's in straight hardwoods. I mean there's like there ain't even no underbrush. I mean this keeping everything shade it out. Where I was was like some some of those canes, you know, like yeah, and I just popped into those canes. I sat down, saft called and I was like, oh, snap, they gotta be close. So I went ahead and got my gun up on this one.
Speaker 1: Goblin, A couple of goblin. How many were there?
Speaker 3: It was one bird goblin. So as I'm sitting there, I'm like, man, these birds should be getting close if they're coming, you know. And I just kind of looked to my left, and when I did, I see it's like it was like three statues on top of some rooftop stairings. I mean They're probably ninety yards from me, straight through the hardwoods on like a probably like a fifty foot pitch straight. I mean they're just up.
Speaker 1: There on all on the top of a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was nothing I could do. I couldn't move, but they were all like this, just dead still staring right down where I was, and like the nervous hunter and me that sat next to his.
Speaker 1: Dad when had like shoot you shooting me seas.
Speaker 3: You know, wanted to like freak out with my gun around and launch one, and then it was like, wait, due.
Speaker 1: Not some video evidence of you this year shooting shooting shit?
Speaker 3: Yes, sorry, I kind of.
Speaker 1: That's another deadly tip is you can be again situational. You can be more patient than I think you think you can when your turkey.
Speaker 3: A lot of it because your dad shooting drilled anxiety into you in a long age that if you didn't do it right, then it was never happen. And honestly, that's been more fun to me now that the pressure is off of like killing turkeys, to just like let it be what it is.
Speaker 1: And if they walk off, man, who cares? I get to come back honey again? You know? Yeah, that rio will get into that example, I look up, these birds move left, they come back up the hill, and then they start moving right down the hill and I'm like, oh, it's over.
Speaker 3: They're going to come hit this long and road. Come check me out, done, see you later. But I think they were looking for a hen and there wasn't nothing there, and they were like, eh, this is kind of sketch, kind of sketch. So what I did was I pulled off the accelerator and stopped calling because as they're I know these birds are hearing if they're on that ridge and they're looking down at me, and I'm going, man, man, man, man, man, Well they can see where that should be coming from, and they don't see anything that they're not coming.
Speaker 1: It's another good point.
Speaker 3: It's like it's almost like having a girl going, hey, big boy, I'm I'm over here.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm right here, I'm right here, I'm right here.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking and I'm in the I'm in the freaking you know, food court, looking around at the mall and some girls screaming at me and I can't see her. Dude, I ain't going to check that. All of a sudden, that's sketchy, and everything's trying to eat turkeys. Everything's not trying to eat me. In you, everything's trying to eat turkeys. So they're very like aware of what's happening. So you're trying to fool this bird, right, trying to pull what birds work down. Then get hit the logging road and then they just keep going. And I was like, what, I know, my calling was good? Like my calling was good. I was not, you know, I mean, I had them. They just walked. They started gobbling back down towards the foodlot where I was sitting. And I swear to I took a phone call. Eight minutes into that phone call.
Speaker 1: No, you hadn't called a single thing.
Speaker 3: Nope, not one thing. I look curious. I look back down the road and I see a I see a fan out at about one hundred yards, and I'm like, oh man, hey, I'll call you back. I gotta shoot. These birds are back. So I hunt real quick, and uh. They worked. They started working kind of up the long road, and I noticed he would he would go full strut, and then as he would come out of full strut, he would turn and go the other way. So I started watching him when he would full strut and be walking towards me and then stop and his feathers would come down. I'd hit him with it as light as I could possibly blow across the reeds of my call. I'm serious, as light as I could do it, and he could. He'd pop back up, keeping him engaged, and he would walk five to eight yards, and then he would stand there and stare, and as his feathers would go back down, boom, float back up five yards and I five yarded him all the way into twenty five yards and shot him. And man, for me, man, it was like I realized that we don't get to like hunt a whole lot by ourselves anymore, like it, I mean, and not that there's anything wrong. I love hunt with you. I wish you had been there that day. I wish Dad had been there that day. Circumstances worked out to where they couldn't. But man, it really gave me like this kind of introspective You can do it by yourself. No, I know I could do it.
Speaker 1: You didn't need me or Dad there to help you get.
Speaker 3: Don't even make me start saying statistically.
Speaker 1: Anyway, statistically sing statistically so so that there you off.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just trying to get back into my my groove here, and I mean going back to the questions, like what's inspiring, Like I got three song ideas that day, just walking around and being, you know, thinking of things and being and being inspired, like being in a place where my Because here's the thing, I love raising my kids. But when I'm raising my kids, I'm on. Somebody asked me the other day, you know what's the hardest thing about raising kids? And I says, it's being on all the time. And they're like, what are you talking about. What what happens if you're not on? And I said they die? And he was like what or break their legs? And I was like, no, man, they can die. Like they sticking things in their mouth. They're always riding their four wheathers towards barbed wire. They're always like wanting to get knee deep in some ponds. And I love all that, but I'm telling you, you got to be on. Well when you're out there at time to think, No time to think, dude, ain't no time. And so out there you're off in your in your brain.
Speaker 1: That's all you got. It's time to think out there, it's all. And I knew that.
Speaker 3: I knew I had time that day, you know, so that's another thing that was very inspiring. And you know, I called read on the walk out and I had that turkey over my shoulder, and honestly, the like I thought about dragging your ten point out of that food plot down there in the bottom. I thought about when me and you slept in that camera and walked all the way over to that other place and I fell asleep and you're hitting me with sticks and you shot that bird if the bird was goblin, and I was, it was ten feet from my face and I was I couldn't raise up.
Speaker 1: Because that's shot.
Speaker 3: I think about us bringing that turkey back over that hilltop and it raining on us. The sun was out and it was raining on us, and I'm just And I even thought about when we cut that trail through those pines that day. And you know, man, when you're doing that, you're you're being teleported.
Speaker 1: Just some of the best moments.
Speaker 3: Five, ten, fifteen, twenty or twenty five years and it's and you can really only visual like have that clarity, the visual clarity of that.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 3: I can think about those moments anywhere, but they seem to be clearer when I'm in the element without other things to think about, and so it was. It was. It was kind of like a cleansing thing for me, man and I and it made me kind of fall in love with turkey hunting in a different way than I have in years past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what hunt by yourself does. Period.
Speaker 3: It's a special thing, man.
Speaker 1: It is just a lot of fun. Like you said, like you said, to a hunt with just somebody and share it with somebody. But just there is that sometimes where it is a it is a reset for me to go out there by myself and not even like try to get it done, just be out there myself.
Speaker 3: No, I had made my mind up. Just sit in the woods. I was not getting it done, and just sit in the woods. And it was still a great time and worth every penny I had to spend to get down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going back to the question, that is that's a mid day and that's kind of a hunt that didn't go exactly like that. The turkeys didn't read the script and come right in. They busted off. You get a phone call, you gave them time. They came back.
Speaker 3: Minutes, which every turkey hunter knows. That is a long time. It was forty five minutes from the time that bird gobbled. Yeah, it was probably five minutes. He was on top of me, and then there were forty minutes of like play and dude, for me, that's that's it, Like that's a full full after that.
Speaker 1: Thing going into here. This is a hunt that just happened this last week when we were in the Middlewest hunting rios that the turkey's read the script and it was a twenty minute turkey hunt. Me, Dan and Luke knew these birds were in this area and Luke had a tag for this particular unit, so we took off mid day, didn't have any We hunted that morning with had a couple of Jakes come in and we've actually got a video of Jake's.
Speaker 3: Literally you may play it. I love that. I'd love to do it as fun.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they can't see it, yeah, but they can hear these things how much. At one point I turned to Luke and I was like, and he goes, I thought I was gonna have to punch that turkey in the throat.
Speaker 3: Well, I was calling and I knew they were a little punk jakes, and so I just kept I kept trying to bring them in as tired as I M sure.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they almost got blasted their goblin. H h.
Speaker 3: Dude, they were.
Speaker 1: I mean they were feet from us.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that's all right. I just keep going and then get into this point later. But uh so we we got done with that hunt, went back, had some breakfast, same thing we were talking about. Just gave these birds time to breed, to hent out, let the hens go sit, and then leave the garbage by themselves. So that's exactly what we did. We drove twenty twenty five minutes to another farm we have access on and Luke had a tagging this unit and got into an area where we knew birds were. We were making our way into this section of the farm that we were going to set up in and just walking and not really talking. We were hunting, but we were just kind of getting to the spot. Crow flies over, man, man, man, man, and we all stop, just knowing that turkey's instinctly instinctively that's a great tip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you were walking through the woods and a crow goes nuts, just stop and listen, because they can fire a bird up and then you immediately know location and you can get tired.
Speaker 1: Same on a thun a day that it's thundering, they'll they'll they'll gobble it air a train, they'll gobble it, tirs ambulance. Yeah, any kind that's called a shot gobble, and that is a local. And if you have a crow call on you, that's called a locator call. You're trying to get a bird of shot. God, dude, crows crow all day long, and turkey's gobble at them all day long. I love a crow call. I don't have I don't have a hootout call. I can't hoot out with my mouth very good. I wear a crow call in my in my turkey calls. That's all I got. So anyway, we stop crow you know, you last. And then all of a sudden, of course you hear I.
Speaker 3: Think there he had a hit on those turkeys, and he was like, man, I'm about to get these guys out here. Yeah yeah, yeah, He's like, oh those jackasses down there, I'm gonna get these.
Speaker 1: So bird's gobbles. So we immediately look at each other and the and the quick the best thing to do in that moment is just get to a place where you can haunt them. Don't try to creep in further, don't don't try to you just just we had seedars all around us, big seedars. So we tucked into one, sat down, got everything set up. We didn't make a call yet. Don't when you're getting set up on a bird that's goblin. Don't make a call until you're ready to shoot that turkey because he can come in hunt. Because if you if you're that close to a bird, if you're fifty to one hundred yards from a bird and you call and he gobbles back at you, he could come out of strut and come straight to you and get there in thirty seconds. So sit down, And this is what we did. We sat down, got everything ready. Luke's you know, he's in He's in shooting position, so whatever ever. We looked around. Everybody's ready down and go soft calls from here on out. And I was like, yep, so I hit my mouth called one time. Just cut me off.
Speaker 3: Volume control is so important in turkey hunting. I don't think it's talked about enough. But if you are, let's take that situation. If we had just taken out a box and just ripped it right there, dude, yeah, you're gonna freak those turkeys.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 3: You have to sound like a bird that is just strolling through the woods feeling pretty good, just like if you're if you walk through the woods having a great day, or maybe coming into work, and you.
Speaker 1: Just go so.
Speaker 3: That immediately, that immediately lets whoever hears that song know that I'm having a pretty good day.
Speaker 1: Roger Miller, I think so. Gosh, so my thing is like that all or Roger No, those things, Roger Miller.
Speaker 3: So like, what I'm trying to say is as a as a hen, you want to make the call that sounds like, Man, I'm just coming down this road here, buging a little bit. If anybody wants to holler at me, cool if not cool, I'm just having a decent time feeling, feeling myself.
Speaker 1: And doing it. Do it directionally. Don't when when turkeys are gobbling at you, coming at you, don't call at them like And what I say by that is, don't look at where the turkeys are goblin and scream at them. Turn your head, put your mouth, put your hand on your mouth, and throw that call away from them to sound like.
Speaker 3: And then maybe back at him, and then maybe away from him, and then but.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a turkey's farther away than what it was, which will maybe make them usually makes them react in a way of I'm gonna chase. They're almost chasing this turkey now coming, So that's what happens. I hit a little light, so I shut up because I know they are closer now than they were when that crow made them made them holler, so I know they've already cut the distance. So the crazy thing about this hunt is we're not really used to this farm we were hunting. So I kind of called the shot and was like, Hey, they're gonna come down this two track that we were just walking down. So let's let's get set up toward this under this seat or we got perfect cover, perfect backdrop, suns at the it's at the top of the day so it's like midday, so the sun shining right down, there's no shadows cast. It's a perfect setup. They're gonna come down this two track, Luke bust one. So I even said, there's no way they come behind us. Let's focus on this two track.
Speaker 3: Let me say this else. These milecalls have come a long way, dude.
Speaker 1: There ain't none, Dude. I noticed that turkey hunt for real. One now we just send us a picture the other day. Yeah, so lo and behold. I make one little call again. I shut up. I know they're coming. I tell Elsie, hey, get ready, they're coming. Well, we're sitting there. A couple of minutes goes by, and I hear. For some reason, I can my hearing frequency. I can pick up on the frequency of a spinning and drumming really well. I can hear a turkey twenty thirty yards away. I can just hear it. And I don't know why. I always I've always been able to.
Speaker 3: Yea you have.
Speaker 1: And so we're sitting there watching the two track, and sure enough, from the direction I said, they're not gonna come, I hear, and I looked at Dan, I looked at Elsie. I said, I just heard a bird spit and drawn. But he was behind And as soon as I said behind, Lucas, they're behind us, and I was like what, and hegls. I can see them there behind us, and there was a two pack two strutters came in, I mean, ended up working all all the way and at twenty twenty five yards they're sitting there. They're kind of stuck. So I hit them with a little to try to get him to work around the sea. And this is how pinpoint a turkey can get. And I've always heard too, like if a gobbler can hear you call, he knows within ten yards where you're at, and that I don't know that I can't see. I don't know that scientifically, I've never done the study on that.
Speaker 3: Earthmch stuck his head in the cedar.
Speaker 1: This turkey comes behind us to the seater we're sitting in, and literally I went back around there after the hunt and saw the strut marks in the dirt under the seaedar that we were sitting in. He stuck his head into that seatar and gobbled one time, three yards away from us. I mean, just look at that is by far the closest I've ever been. Yeah, I was a turkey.
Speaker 3: I mean when he got on his head just like shot past, it was over my shoulders and he gobbled at us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, bro, you talk about intense, man, that was intense and ended up he bomps out, They pops out, Yeah, LSI blasting game over. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: Good tips in there, good tips in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But all that situational man, and then your rio is another situational thing. The very last point of the day. I mean literally, we're getting right at shooting light. We're driving around trying to spot turkeys, just to spot and stalk them. We see two turk two times with two hens.
Speaker 3: Man, we should explain what that means. So when you're when you're when you're trying to find turkeys, uh to quote unquote spot and stalk, you're not really trying. We're not trying to ambush those turkeys. What we're trying to do is h kind of the same thing. Get close enough that we can hit a call.
Speaker 1: Just that is enough to figure, come figure, come, come check it out.
Speaker 3: And them jokers gobbled.
Speaker 1: But it's it's here's another tip, Like when you've got two toms with two hens, you know those are those toms hens and so, but there's also a little competition going on there innately in those birds that if another hen comes close enough and one of them starts gobbling at it, the other one's probably going to start gobbling at it. And if the other one starts going toward that sound, the other one's going to go with them. Just just competitiveness in innate in a turkey yep. And so what happened with us is we got within distance of them. We got within distance of them, and I knew those turkeys had hens on them. I knew they were both goblins. So I just I'm talking about aggress ripped it. Just I mean kind of like last ditch effort, ripped it. As long as they were gobbling, I was calling. Every time I was cutting them off, they were cutting me off. That was the hottest turkeys I've seen in five years. And they over a span of fifteen minutes, they slowly worked their way in gobling like crazy. When you bust the one, yeah, I'll tell you, those rios are fun. They're a different bird.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I guess a quick overview is like if you have if you have some some birds that you think have been hunted and just chill, just chill on him, don't go nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's ware and play the longer.
Speaker 3: One thing I'm basing my life around right now is you're doing too much, man, doing too much. You're doing too much, dog, And there's so many turkeys that are doing too much. Where you can just make like calls, have pati, let the bird work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, Yeah, you ain't got to shoot him at forty forty five yards behind a tree where he sticks his head over. Ain't got to do it. Yeah, ain't got to do it. Take your time, and honestly, man, just coming from like an experienced turkey hunter. My favorite hunts are when the bird come, like when I can work that bird all the way into me and not just do a potshot and try to bust him as soon as you've seen it's it's it's so much fun to watch a turkey, especially a Tom turkey, be a turkey, be a Tom turkey and be a boss and work his way into a setup. Yep, we've already been talking for close to an hour. I think it's at fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything else you want to look out? That's our turkey recap.
Speaker 1: By the way, we've got a heck of a season, man, this one. Have y'all ever shared y'all's gravorite songs? You know what?
Speaker 3: Man, I got one for you. I think we I think we've shared some graverts. Yeah, I think we have to, and I think we'll continue to do that. But how about this one?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 3: So I'm feeling lately, al I'm tired of.
Speaker 5: Thisty old City smurle for you tired too much work and never enough play.
Speaker 1: Un else you're tired of it.
Speaker 5: And I'm tired of the easterty.
Speaker 1: So he must have been in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: I think I'll walk off my steady job today. So turn me, set me free. It's somewhere in the middle of mountain, and give.
Speaker 2: Me all I've got coming to me, and you can keep your time in your soul call social circuit. Big city turmi loose and set me free, Old big city turmy loose and set me free.
Speaker 1: All of that that is a gravorite of mine.
Speaker 3: I love that song you got one, that one, the one I just played. Man, little here you singing better anything? It didnt man?
Speaker 1: Bro hit me with that? Uh? Hit me with that? Roger Millitary not blueing b which one the uh? What's the yeah? We were just singing it. Robin Hood, DoD DoD DoD do dude. I don't know if I know this. Do dude, do do do do do do do do? Oh?
Speaker 5: Is this.
Speaker 1: Is this the one which one Robin Hood?
Speaker 3: And oh no, that's rob little John.
Speaker 1: Walking through the forest, laughing back and forth at what the other has to say, reminiscing this and that and having such such a good time. Oot lilly ood, lilly golly waterday. You got this part. Make that c never thinking every day every oh he sorry wanted to, never ever thinking there was danger in the water they were drinking. They just guzzled it down, never dreaming that a skiming sheriff, and as Posse was watching them and gathering around, robbing Hood and little John was running through the forest, jumping fits, his dodging trees and trying to get away this one, contemplating nothing but escaping. Finally, make it Oot dolly ood the lilly golly water day, I said, Hood the lilly ooda lilly golly water day.
Speaker 3: That's a jam.
Speaker 1: It's such a jam man one course, never ever thinking there everythings around the water they with drinking. They just guzzled it down. That's it. I hadn't heard that in so long. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of gravorites. And you know what, as we do these Bronus episodes, we will or epple bros I like that one too, epple Broth, it's pretty good too. We'll continue to play graverits if you'd like to hear them. If not, that's fine, well we will not.
Speaker 1: Hey hit us with a smell with the roast is cooking? Oh okay, I got one. Hey, thanks for hanging with us. I know this is a kind of unorthodox, but uh, we'll watch. But I appreciate you sticking around listening to the bros talk about turkey hunting and tips.
Speaker 3: Big Orange Azy, Big Orangeazz says bad boom.
Speaker 1: Broke as if you ain't gonna leave y'all as that church love that. I told Dad he needed to do that, and he's like, nine, don't.
Speaker 3: Roast turkeys. Big Orange As says, these turkeys don't know turkey or can't count. Tailing Tucker. We more. There's four subspecies of North American turkey is like tailing Luke. He had to bring up Luke. There's more than one color of PFG shirt. Come on out to Arizona and see some Goulds turkeys and learn to count. Wait, great show, love you guys, keep it up.
Speaker 1: I thought we hit on gouls. I think our Goulds in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah they are.
Speaker 1: I just don't it's true, man, they are.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing you, I don't think you can just go hunt gules turkeys. I think you in Arizona. I think you have to pay to go do that. Okay, so we're kind of right, kind of roll. Yeah, they're not predominantly in Arizona. They're just down there on the on the on the tip of Mexico and all that. They're more I think they're more predominantly of Mexico. Bird.
Speaker 1: But hey, don't offer us to come down there and hunt girls with you, or we'll be down there next spring shooting that fifth species of.
Speaker 3: Shooting that fifth speed subspeech, baby, big orange ass.
Speaker 1: For anybody out there, big orange azz, haunt you boys as all right, it goes for anybody. Uh, shoot your shot, man, dude, shoot your shot. Maybe we will.
Speaker 3: We will come home with you if it's a giant deer, elk or turkeys. Man shot. We have dude cinis dems pictures.
Speaker 1: Hey, looking at my computer, it looks like you got about ten more seconds.
Speaker 3: And not lyrics.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for hanging out in God's country with us. We love y'all, and hey, for real, we appreciate y'all for sticking around. You follow us like subscribe. Yeah, I love you well, thank you, Thanks,