Speaker 1: This morning, fifty thousand people hit the streets of the five boroughs of New York for the most exciting, the most thrilling, the most prestigious marathon in the world, the New York City Marathon, And for the first time in years, Amy Robot and TJ Holmes were not among the runners, and it caused more of a difficult morning than we anticipated. And with that, everybody, welcome to this fomo edition of Amy and TJ. We joke about it and pomos thrown around on social media. I really wasn't okay this morning to not be running the New York City Marathon, knowing that it was going on, and it actually, as of this recording, is still going on.
Speaker 2: Oh it's tough. It's very tough. And look, we are so excited for everyone running that race.
Speaker 3: It is magical.
Speaker 2: There is no day quite like it in this city for sure, and I would argue around the world this is such an incredible race, not just because of the phenomenal trek where it takes you over the bridges and through all five boroughs, but the people who come out to celebrate one another. It's just a beautiful, cohesive, inclusive, amazing day that we hope to be a part of as often as possible, but this year.
Speaker 3: It was impossible.
Speaker 1: To explaining, and we talked a little bit about why we're not running. But the city. It's the It's a rare moment in New York City where the entire city comes together to route on a diverse group of people, like it doesn't matter where you're from, what your background is, or people from all over the world obviously all different backgrounds, and the entire city it's a million they estimate every year, right, they come out in the streets at least, yes, that and you know this world. Some neighborhoods you go through you can barely even run down the street because it's so packed with people cheering you on. Oh I say that way. The city gives you a collective hug on that day like nothing else I've experienced in this city. I love it.
Speaker 2: There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn that I want to move to because they have the most fun. These neighborhood parties along their brownstones where you're running and people have their red solo cups with whatever beverage they want inside and they are cheering you on. There's music playing there are bands on the corner. It is amazing. And I always thought if I didn't run that, somehow I'd end up at one of those places.
Speaker 3: But I think it's it feels.
Speaker 2: It feels very sad to not be running it. And I'm so just in awe of anyone who takes on that challenge and runs twenty six point two miles. It is the toughest thing I've ever done, and yet it's the most alive I've ever felt.
Speaker 1: And that's why on a day like today, when you know this is going on, Look, it's not like any other marathon in the world. If something happened and we signed up and weren't able to make it, yeah, that's a disappointment. But this is a different This is New York City. This is our home, this is our hometown, this is where we have participated for years and years and again. To be sitting here now and not being a part of it, and you're able to say it like I want to go and root them on and cheer them on. I don't know if maybe you noticed this morning, I had a brief moment that I put on for the local coverage of it before it started turned off. We have not had them. I always have the TV's on, all of them, got them going. Did not have a single bit of coverage that was intentional. Like, it sucks that bad. I don't want to hear about it. I don't want to see I don't want to know who ran. I don't want to see a medal. I don't want to see your Instagram posts. Right, that's just me. I'm not mad at anybody else, but I am absolutely just torn to not be out there this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I and I hear you because I feel the same way. But I do think that there are lessons to be learned, and listening to your body is among them, and we are now getting to ages where look, I am grateful to be as healthy as I am given all of my challenges throughout the years, but even knowing people and loving people who have.
Speaker 4: Back issues, knee issues, hip issues, issues, period where your body, yes, starts to break down and running is not a is not a sport for an older generation of folks Now every marathon I'm always amazed where I see people in their seventies, eighties, nineties running marathons.
Speaker 3: Slowly but doing it.
Speaker 2: Have older runner My dad ran Berlin at sixty eight. I'm so amazed. And the hope is that we can get to that and be able to enjoy our bodies and see what they can do for as long as possible. But sometimes that means sitting it out a year, and that's what this year has become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I guess two things kept us out. Illness and injury. Illness for you, injury for me, voluntary for you, maybe not voluntary for me. We will get into and explain. But we hopped on and talking here because it goes in line with our latest article with Yahoo. It was just posted, that was just put up and which we'll say it this, We'll put it this way. This is what the headline. We didn't know our producer was gonna write this headline, no writer, but this is the way she put it. And I quote the new headline in our latest Yahoo article is this, She's fifty two, he's forty eight. They train for marathons through rain, shine and injuries. Now these running freaks ask are we doing this right? And that's the headline.
Speaker 2: Do they have to reiterate the fact that I'm four years older than you?
Speaker 1: Um, you better be glad. This was written after my birthday. That could have staid, she's fifty two, he's forty seven, So.
Speaker 2: There's the bright side. But I'm kidding. I don't mind. We make jokes about it all the time.
Speaker 1: But still to the point, let's talk about that for a second. Fifty two. How many people out there fifty two? Hey, start training for a marathon? See if you count, how many at fifty two are going to even attempt such a thing. Look running as well, But even to think that someone at fifty two is physically capable should be applauded. And no, it's not a negative thing. You use some clue who I know you are, but there was some celebrity, it was a woman. It's not a negative thing. It's like you should say congratulations that you've made it this far and you are this healthy. You should never ever look at your age as a negative.
Speaker 2: I look at it that clearly. And look, I ran my first marathon at the age of forty six. So I always want to tell women and men of any age it is never too late. Obviously you have to listen to your body when you have injuries. But short of that, we limit ourselves. I think we all do it. I certainly did I loved running always, had never pushed myself past a ten k and hadn't done a ten k in a really long time. And it wasn't until I had cancer and someone suggested, Hey, would you be willing to run a half marathon? And even then I balked. Even then I only agreed to do half of the half marathon. And it wasn't until I started recognizing, Wait, I'm stronger than I think. My body is capable of doing things I didn't think it could do, and I just would. I would challenge anyone listening who thinks they couldn't or can't, because I was one of those people. I used to say all the time there's no way I could ever And the end of that was run a marathon one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Couldn't or can versus have a desire. That's all the two different things. I mean, it's a lot just and mentally, I don't want to run a half marathon. Who wants to do that? What nut would go through that to run a marathon? And god a marathon. So there's a certain segment of the population that just this ain't their thing, It wasn't mine, got the bug now, can't let it go. Now I'm in tears because I'm missing a mark.
Speaker 2: I think the point being is that yes, agreed and running like my youngest can hates running, and I get that.
Speaker 3: That is the thing for a lot of folks.
Speaker 2: But whatever it is that you love that physically challenges you, take it to the next level.
Speaker 3: And I just like, at any.
Speaker 1: Age, if you're already doing it.
Speaker 2: Correct because I just I didn't think I could and I felt safe and I was like, you know what, I'm good. And it wasn't until my world got rocked with my unsafeness, with feeling unhealthy, that I started saying, wait a minute, what could I can see what my body failed at. I can see where I went wrong, I can see where things unraveled. But what if I could put it back together? And what if I could make myself stronger and better? And honestly, it was in a challenge to myself to be healthier that I thought, let's push my body to see what I'm capable of and go past those fears.
Speaker 3: Because truly, for me, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Love running, but I didn't want to run a marathon, mostly because I was scared to I was scared to try.
Speaker 3: I was scared to fail.
Speaker 2: And I actually made my self believe that I wasn't able to run one, that I just wasn't strong enough.
Speaker 1: That's fair. I think everybody who runs a marathon, what mile is it that that thing creeps into your mind you actually don't think you can finish the damn thing. It's usually around mile twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well after mile twenty, that's when that's when things start to get a little hairy, right around twenty.
Speaker 1: And that happens for everybody because in most seen but in most training runs, this is a mental thing as well. You know you have run twenty miles, usually is your longest training run. Some people don't even do that. But once you start getting into those numbers, like I'm doing something I've never done before.
Speaker 3: Carry yes, scary and exciting, it.
Speaker 1: Is my first one. I remember mile twenty. I got re energized because wow, I have never run this long before. So every step I took after mile twenty was another victory, another victory, and that carried me on the first one, not the second and third when it was a different situation. But that really did carry me thinking I've never done this before. So to your point, whether you decide to do that today, or you decide to do it at mile or what it happens to you at mile twenty. It does happen, this moment hits you that Wow, I am capable of more than I ever thought I was, and that is intoxicateble.
Speaker 2: I remember being with you on the longest run you had ever done, which was eight miles and this was several years ago, and the joy that you had, the pride that you felt that you did something you didn't think you either wanted to do or could do.
Speaker 3: I don't know what if it was either or both.
Speaker 1: Oh it was at the end of eight miles. I could have run another ten, So to know what I'm capable of, like, oh, my body can handle this, Oh my mind can handle Oh it was I was done. I was hooked. It was over after that. And now I'm sitting here with you. I am actually in the middle of at least a minimum two week break from running. Shit that I haven't mindful done that in five years. It's painful, gone on two weeks. I just have not and I have to for I don't have to, but for injury reasons. And look some of the questions and again you all please check out the article. It's on Yahoo dot com and the life section. Yes, right now and ask game Me and TJ. You can find it there now. But we got to bounce some of our routine, some of what we do off of a guy who is a big time runner, someone we've run with over the past several years, Roberto. But we went through several things asking him are we doing this right? And we went through several questions with him. Is it good to have a friend that you run with? Is it good to have schedule flexibility, the food, how you fuel and whatnot. I don't think it's a surprise that people here that running with someone and having that person. Excuse me, you always say that being accountable to someone is a big thing. It's almost a must when you're starting to run. I feel it's just it. It keeps you in the game.
Speaker 2: Otherwise running is tough enough with like, I would just say physically and mentally that if you can make an excuse you well to void a run. But if you make a date with a friend or a partner or whomever, and you are held accountable, you will go and you will show up.
Speaker 3: And here's the deal, I guarantee you won't regret it.
Speaker 1: Never fails. But to the other point about a buddy as well, that buddy doesn't have to live down the street in the same town. You can be held accountable with all the apps now and whatnot. Strava. Hey, you can see somebody across the country if they did their run today like they were supposed to me.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: So my oldest has just recently gotten into running, despite years of me trying to get her too, she finally on her own decided to start. She's been sending me pictures every day of her runs, but today she was like, hey, mom, I got really fun kudos from Pop, my dad and my cousin. And she was excited because when she runs, she's on the Strava community. Other people, my dad who's in Georgia and Tatum, who is in California, were cheering her on and it made her feel excited and happy, and it fuels your desire to run because you get at a boys basically from people who you are in little running circles with. And so yes, my dad's usually the first person to give me a it's a kudos on Strava, where you get literally.
Speaker 3: A thumbs up it's almost like social media for runners.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you basically are just high fiving one another, which I think is so cool. And when I see on Strava that my cousin Nick has run, or that my dad went for a run, or that my cousin tATu, it motivates me to run. These are all really fun tools to have a community that you don't have to live with or nearby.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is social media. It's like likes, but these are for different reasons, and these are ones you actually want earned. You're getting credit for some you actually did.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're on the record.
Speaker 1: So yes, that seems kind of obvious there something. He also got into it with us about schedule flexibility, something you're very good about. I'm terrible about. But if you are out there, you're running, Yes, you hold yourself accountable, but give yourself a break if you need, if it's an injury one day. We just stick so strictly to these schedules that well, I'm terrible about it, you're a better round.
Speaker 2: We print out the schedule and then we try to stick to it for the most part. However, there are moments where you have a fun night out or you've traveled or you just had a shitty night's sleep.
Speaker 1: When you, oh, well, schedule says, we're running.
Speaker 2: I would rather wait a day and be in better form, and rather than push myself and be miserable, because you know what it is. I don't want to hate running, and I don't want it to feel obligatory.
Speaker 3: I want to enjoy it. And yes, some runs are more enjoyable than others.
Speaker 2: But if you can just push it a day, it can make a difference, or push.
Speaker 1: Your night out by a day. How about that. You think about that. It's not making that face. All right, folks, stay with us and we come back. As we talked about injury and illness. We'll explain exactly what Robot's illness is, what the solution she's found, and we'll tell you what my injury is. Ain't no solution in sight. Also, fomo is real. Doctors say this can have real impacts on your health. We are experiencing it today. Stay here, we'll tell you just how bad a case we got. All right, Welcome back everybody, Amy and TJ. We continue here on a pretty brutal day for a couple of runners who have gone. It's been several years now and this is the first one in a while that we have not been in the New York City Marathon, which is continuing to go as we speak right now. But you had decided, how long ago? Was it even a year earlier? This year? You decided You're gonna sit this one out.
Speaker 3: It was this summer.
Speaker 2: I had just had so much terrible nausea hit me after any run basically that was more than fifteen miles, and certainly during marathons.
Speaker 3: And sometimes during even half marathon training.
Speaker 2: I got a little so I decided, you know what, I'm going to give my body a break. My body is telling me I have to figure out a solution. I have to understand why I'm getting so like and I'm not just getting nauseated vomiting to the point where it was affecting our finished times. So it was embarrassing and I just felt frustrated by it, and I thought, you know what, I got to listen to my body.
Speaker 3: However, when we did.
Speaker 2: The Stockholm half marathon in August August thirty first, I felt great the entire time, not one hint of nausea, and I did think, you know what, maybe I'll run New York City because at that point, we were halfway through what would have been our training and a half marathon, so it timed out perfectly. So I was giving myself the option to run New York with the training schedule we were on this summer all.
Speaker 1: Right, so we were giving ourselves the option. Look, that's well documented at this point. We've talked about it plenty of my injuries from last year. Literally, I've had the same injury that I got the Chicago Marathon last year.
Speaker 3: And it hasn't really gotten any It's.
Speaker 1: No because I haven't stopped running on it. I've lightened the load a little bit over the year. But to your point, after I injured in Chicago, I ran the New York City Marathon on it and then went to a doctor and he told me to stay off of it, and then we kept running and then we did. So I haven't really stopped. So I was planning to do the New York City Marathon, and quite frankly, the only reason I'm not is because we kind of got crossed with our contact over there at New York road Runners. We didn't get entry because we didn't get a response in time. And that's just the truth of the matter, is that we were going back and forth. It was someone that were taking care of us for years. Stewart, we love you, but always got us entry to the point we didn't have to send a note. He was like, Yo, marathon's coming up.
Speaker 2: If Stuart Lieberman hadn't heard from us, he was sending like multiple emails a week saying, hey, are you guys even thinking about running in New York? And from the half marathon to the marathon to all of the races he was really really good at even if we were dragging our our feet a little bit, kind of motivating us to sugg yeh.
Speaker 1: So he was. He's been great for years. Love him.
Speaker 2: Here's the reason why I ran the first one in twenty nineteen. If Stuart had not kind of pushed a little bit and said, hey, Amy, I think you can do this, I would not have run my first marathon. So I have to give him full credit for even getting into that first marathon.
Speaker 3: He kind of he nudged me.
Speaker 1: So you can tell already, folks, the way we are talking, we have a sweet spot and a hard for Stuart. Stuart Leeberman has been great, but he unfortunately left New York road Runners doing his own thing. With this what was it called the Roat Race. It's really cool, cool, yes, but he's out of there and we just don't have right now the same relationship so far with the pr folks. That's our fault, now, whoever's fault. It is not blaming anybody. I'm not getting onto New York road runners. We do not deserve and expect you have to have a spot for us. But quite frankly, something fell through the cracks this year, all right, So because it fell through the cracks, I'm not running. Had it not, I would have run on.
Speaker 3: I think he would have. I would have and I was pure. I was absolutely.
Speaker 2: Planning to cheer you on, and I knew that it was going to be difficult not to be running, but to also be able to watch you do your thing. I was like, that's a win win. So now that you're not running and I'm not running, it's a tough day. Sucks, it's a really tough day.
Speaker 1: It's and again it's not pour us anything. It's a it's a race, it's a run, it's whatever, but it is something we are that passionate about that. I didn't even think today, Robes, you wanted to go out let's go support runners and do these things and be a part of this. And no, I didn't want to. I pushed back, having turned the TV on at all. Don't want to see any of it. And a friend of ours who told me he wasn't running actually told me I need to take a break, need to get out of it. Found out from this dude that he last second decides he's going to run it. So even that that made me feel worse.
Speaker 2: That was because I was like, maybe we can hang out with him him and we could cheer on the runners we're normally running with.
Speaker 3: But then to find out he's running too, now it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of screwed. He kind of made it worse. Left the longest voice memo ever talking about his day.
Speaker 3: I'm like you, yeah, this is the last thing I want to hear right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so our friendship is over. But what we're saying is it was. And so FOMO, you say this all the time, and this is more so a thing for you, it's not a thing for me. Sometimes people going out places you just have FOMO, They're going to Maurice crisis.
Speaker 3: You got to have all the time, Okay, it always have it.
Speaker 1: Is a real thing that therapist doctors do talk about it. I was pulling some notes from the Cleveland Clinic their website and they had a whole article on fomo basically, and I had you define it for mess You're.
Speaker 3: A missing out. But I just think that.
Speaker 2: It's about belonging and about like, if you have something you're passionate about or people who you love hanging out with, to know that they're all enjoying it and you're not, there's like this feeling of emptiness there.
Speaker 1: You get there, it is, you absolutely nailed how they it is anxiety. They call it anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts scene on social media. FOMO. Another definition refers to the feeling or perception that other people are having fun, experiencing new things, or living a better life than you, And right now, fifty thousand people are doing that on the streets of New York and that sucks. Now. Doctors say this does like heart palpitations, body aches, pains, headaches, all the things. Associate it with real anxiety. So this is a real thing. How do you help people out of that? Like they help people out of any other anxiety. Yes, some medication, but also some practices. Don't be jealous, be grateful, Be grateful of the life you have, Take stock of where you are and what you're doing, and be grateful that somebody else, maybe somebody you know, is having a good experience. And also the other thing. And this was the one for me. Rhobes, identify your triggers. If it triggers you to see that in hanging out with that ex friend of yours, stop getting on social media and looking at their things. So my trigger today was seeing anybody in a pair of shoes and a damn metal and a bibs on their chest.
Speaker 2: It's funny because knowing that we weren't running this year, like I didn't know you weren't runn until the end, and I was actually holding on to my mental situation by knowing that I could.
Speaker 3: Cheer you on.
Speaker 2: So I was like, that'll be fine, Like to watch him do it will be like it'll make it better for me. To know that you weren't doing it made it so much sadder to me. But then like even seeing all the marathons leading up to the New York City Marathon that people I know and believe me. We run in a running circle, so we know all of the usual folks who love to run. Even seeing their marathon like finish lines or times or whatever leading up to it was actually gutting to me too, because I knew we didn't have one, but or like one that we were already signed up for. The point being is to learn to appreciate, yes, health and just we're putting health first right so that we can run later and longer, and that can be a lesson for other things in life. You can't always have things when you want it, how you want it, but you can appreciate what you do have, appreciate other people enjoying it, and know that you can make plans in the future.
Speaker 1: It never seems like it when you're going through it, but things work out and more often than not for the best. So this was forced upon us this year, and I'm already excited about the possibilities for next year. So, yes, it sucks to not be out there. It's not the end of the world, but it means a lot to us, and this day means a lot to this city, and it sucks not to be a part of it today. But yes, we are rooting on every body out there because we know what it takes to be out there.
Speaker 3: Oh and because this is the day that you celebrate.
Speaker 2: This is the day that you actually get to recognize how strong you are, and all the training runs that lead up to it. That's the work, right, that's and so we know what it takes to be out there today running those five burrows. The amount of blood, sweat and tears folks have put in to get to this day. A lot of people are running their first marathon ever, and I'm so excited for them because that is the most amazing day ever when you run your first marathon. But for anyone listening out there, it doesn't have to be running. But if you are a runner, like run your first five k, run your first ten k, sign up right now. In fact, I have tabs open right now for a couple half marathons and even the London Marathon twenty twenty six, like looking like wanting to see, Okay, what can I put down and sign up for, so that there is real excitement about building towards the future. But one thing, First of all, I know it's not what you wanted, but I'm actually so grateful you're not running today because I hope that it means that you can actually enjoy your your runs and not be in pain. You've been in pain for a year, and I've watched you be in pain for a year. So I'm actually really excited that you're giving yourself a break. And I know it's really hard, but it's going to pay tenfold, one hundredfold.
Speaker 3: And I was also going to say this, I was surprised. I don't know if you were that.
Speaker 2: Roberto said, most people who have running buddies, it's not their partner.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised by that?
Speaker 1: Not really? Quite? Frankly, we're not like the others. I'll be honest with you there. I am. You and I trained together. We run together. I am a faster runner. I have to slow down incredibly to stay with you in a training run or a race. I would have prs out the wazoo. But it's important to me that we stay together. We do this together. We went through this training together, and we're gonna cross the finish line together. So no, I am that's probably freakistion. People think that's odd, and that's okay. If you tell me that our relationship isn't going like others and with that, folks, we always appreciate you hanging with us. We're fine, We're gonna make it through the day, okay, but just want to hop off until everybody have a great day, find you some inspiration, push yourself a little bit, and by all means continue to don't call runners freaks. They are very, very special and different people and with that we always appreciate you spend as some time with us side DJ Holmes, the behalf of my dear running partner, and your robot will compie