Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys training live from Dallas Cowboys training.
Speaker 4: Game in Oxnard, calas Poor six seconds dot tixis any pass.
Speaker 5: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Talking Cowboys with your host Y two Jay, Josh, the Josh Rodriguez.
Speaker 6: I'm here with Patrick Nose Walker. I'm here with Nathaniel Newton. We are Talking Cowboys. Sponsored by Black Raffle Coffee, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: How are we doing, boys?
Speaker 5: We're doing better than Sam Williams. Unfortunately, we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that. We'll get to that.
Speaker 6: Nate, Hey, you gotta you gotta cut of wrestling promo for me?
Speaker 7: God? Why two k Josh, Josh Rodrigez, we're.
Speaker 5: Gonna wrestling promos, okay, and you know what I gotta go with? Right?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 8: Let me talk to you? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was pretty good, Josh, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: How are we doing? Fellas? I mean, it's a beautiful.
Speaker 5: Day, another beautiful day in California, man.
Speaker 2: It was a somber day of practice yesterday.
Speaker 6: Obviously we need to get to it. But Patrick, do you want to hit us with some news and notes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's let's start with the bad, the really, really, really bad. Sam Williams, Cowboys third year defensive end. He went down early in practice yesterday individual drills, non contact injury. Caught it off of the field. M R I basically revealed the worst case scenario. He has suffered a torn a c L and a torn m is officially done for the season before the season gets started, and we'll talk about the impact of that. But that is massive, massive for both Sam and the Cowboys. Gary An Connley a veteran cornerback who has signed this offseason out of the UFL, looking to rebuild himself in the NFL. He decided to notify the team he retired, so they went ahead and released him, and in the same day they were successfully awarded Keemon Hall off of the waiver wire. He was waived one day prior by the San Francisco forty nine ers. Hall is an undrafted free agent of the Los Angeles Chargers in twenty nineteen, but he spent some time here in Dallas with the Cowboys on the practice squad in twenty twenty, so this is a second time around for him. They also signed Deontay Burnett and Kelvin Harmon, both wide receivers out of the UFL. That's going to give them some more competition. By the way, position shots out to that Arlington renengage one hundred percent, and that's also due to the fact that rookie wide receivers Ryan Flinoy is dealing with what's being described as a minor knee issue right now. Mike McCarthy said on yesterday that he does not quote unquote deem it anything serious. He calls it day to day. Hopefully that remains the case. And on the contract front, because I know you all want to know about the contracts, right that's what you're here for. You know that in football, the Cowboys did submit a new offer to both Not the lawnmower man, even though he's on his on his job.
Speaker 6: He's on overtime, overtime, he's on overtime, he submits it. Oh day off, let's interrupt everybody and.
Speaker 5: Let's get close to him. Yeah yeah, let's come right up to let's come right up to their back. They submitted a new offer to both Dak Prescott and CDEE Lamb as recently as this past weekend, so that both of those contract talks have traction and I mean nothing imminent as we have this conversation, but either one or both could fall right out of the sky at any point.
Speaker 2: What about you, Nate, any news and.
Speaker 9: Notes brought their The cd Lamb thing needs to get done, Dak needs to get done. It'll work. I mean, they just throwing office out there just to keep the talks open, that's all.
Speaker 8: They just of course the blood flowing.
Speaker 6: And one thing Mike McCarthy said about the receivers that were brought in, it's healthy competition. And with Florinoyd sort of on the back burner right now, caustiously optimistic, you know, pulling him back, keeping him from those drills, it makes sense to bring in some healthy competition and guys that are seasoned and season in the fact that they are ready to play football right now. They were just playing in the UFL mere months ago, I think a month ago actually, so it makes sense for them to be on the field at this point.
Speaker 5: They're ready that wide receiver position. Those those two young guys, Burnett and Harmon. They've been to come in ready, ready to get cooking because that wide receiver position in the absence of Cedde Lamb and obviously Brandon Cooks is out there doing his thing. But you talk about the law firm of Jalen, Jalen and Jalen, those guys are cooking. Yesterday, Tying Billy Johnson had had a massive day yesterday. I think he had like eight catches on nine targets. One of them was that deep bomb with Kayln Carson on his hip. Another rookie, not another rookie, because Tyron's not a rookie, but a rookie who had a big day yesterday as well, having a big camp. That one deep ball that was giving up to Tyron Billy Johnson number one, it was a perfect throw. Number two. It was the only time that Kayln Carson got beat yesterday. He was man handling whoever was put in front of him outside of that place. So wide receiver battle was off to the races.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice, Okay.
Speaker 6: So I want to discuss sort of the ramifications of the Sam Williams injury. I think it's you know, obviously we lose him for twenty twenty four it's unfortunate, But now we have to next man up. What happens next? How are you guys looking at the out the outlook now of the rest of the season with Sam Williams contributing not only on defense but also on special teams. And we talked about this on camping out, so this is kind of a carryover. But what do we think about the ramifications of him losing out, losing him for the rest of the season, that.
Speaker 9: Was a big, a big loss, especially in your past for a situation. He's a playmaker now he he'll make a play on the run too. I mean, this was the year where he was looking for great maturity, a great leap from this young man. But being that he's out now and out for the year, I mean, and Vilma for Hoko and guys like that got to step up. But I'm gonna tell you something. Will McClay is excited about this Marshawn Neeland.
Speaker 8: He I mean, he's just.
Speaker 9: He made will cross two steps across fish or whatever. I mean, just several times watching the explosiveness of this kid, watching the lateral movement of.
Speaker 8: This kid, he said, you know, just uh a bigger d law.
Speaker 9: That's what He called him a bigger d Law with a with a with a.
Speaker 8: With a lot more potential.
Speaker 2: So and Patrick has said similar things too.
Speaker 5: He's d Law junior, called him junior tank. That's basically what to me, That's how I view Marshan Nieland and I said this after the second round pick and a lot of people on you know, the Twitter sphere, x Field, whatever you want to call it, kind of knocking the pick just because he was He wasn't a household name as far as pre draft is concerned. But if you go back and you look at this kid's film and you look at what he's able to do. Number one, he's one of the best run stoppers off of the edge in the entire draft. So he wanted the Cowboys to woke up their run defense. Here's Marshaan Kneeland. Also, he has the pass rush ability. When you look at special teams in the absence of Sam who you know, gave you a huge chunk of special team snaps as well, Marshannland is going to be dropped right into that bucket as well. So the rookie is getting thrown from the frying pan right into the fire. He's going to have to acclimate quickly. My concern there is you lose during Armstrong the free agency, you lose Dante follow the free agency. Now you lose Sam Williams to a season ending injury.
Speaker 2: What rotation?
Speaker 5: The rotation is a huge question mark because Marshawn kneeling. While he has the potential, he has the ceiling. I'm here with you, Big Nate, and I know you're gonna agree. He hasn't played yet. Yeah, you don't know what you have yet in him at the NFL level. Behind him, you have a guy like Darrell Johnson. You don't know what you have there yet. Byron Vaughn's you don't know what you have there yet. Tyris Whet special teams contributor defensively, you don't know what you have there yet. Former rookie fourth round pick from last year, junior Viniami Fooko, was unable to earn reps onto the field last year under Dan Quinn, you don't know what you have there yet. It's just so many unknowns that this could very well be a situation where the Cowboys do need to go into free agency and bring in a veteran to help stabilize the right side of that defensive line.
Speaker 6: Well, let's take a look at the possible free agents to sort of supplement the new vacant dat spot. Patrick, did you sort of I know we were talking about this yesterday.
Speaker 2: Did you take a look at the free.
Speaker 6: Agents that are on the wire now that could be considered for that vacant d E spot.
Speaker 5: I did, And obviously a potential trade is always going to be on the table as well. But we're not gonna talk any specific names because I'm not gonna cost the Cowboys a draft pick, no, sir, not me. We're gonna focus on those who are not under contract and we're gonna talk about that. Carl Lawson had a very interesting tweet on yesterday, simply tweeted an emoji, a star emoji reading to that how you will, But just know that he's monitoring the situation not only in the Cowboys camp, but in all thirty two NFL camps to see what his best situation is gonna be. Carl Lawson obviously someone of the Cowboys liked coming out of his respective draft. Yannick in Gocway. That's a name to keep an eye on as well. And Gocway also has a pre existing relationship with Mike Zimmer. They spent time together with the Minnesota Vikings in twenty twenty. Those are going to be my top two guys. Have a couple other guys as well, Tyas Bowser, he's a name that you guys are familiar with him, should be familiar with. And then Charles Harris is a name as well if you want to go with more veteran ability who has been proven justin Houston. He's out there as well. I don't know how much few he has left in the tank. And much like Bowser and Harris, I shouldn't say much like, but Bowsing Harris, they've coming They're coming off of injuries, right, so you don't know what you have there. So my top two to keep an eye on Carl Lost and Yannick and got Away.
Speaker 2: But there are options and.
Speaker 8: And my picks. I have some picks real Johnson.
Speaker 9: I'm serious for Hoko we because the bad thing about his injury is that it happened to Sam's Williams, which was asking a lot from the great thing about his injuries it happened early enough.
Speaker 8: So you can get a good look.
Speaker 7: At these guys.
Speaker 9: You know, I remember early when Dak career started. Uh we we we You know you had Tony and you had I can't think of the other guy. That guy just left our office to coordinate a couple of years ago. You know, they got hurt all of a sudden, like we need to go to waver wire. Will looked to me and said, now, Will McLay Liliam said, noah, we got this kid here right now. It's so early. We don't bring in a soul. Look at these kids now, I mean they don't get days off anyway because they're young, right, Just look at them over and over and over and may go even into the first preseason game. Looking at these kids, making sure that the things that you saw, they they have gotten better, a little bit better after a year, if they new to this game, see how quick their learning curve is. And then with the background noise and carry on.
Speaker 5: Man, I tell you that long gets mold something serious. But I mean, Nate makes a great point, and it's like what I said before we start talking about some free agency names. These are names that are here in camp that have to step up and have to step up in a big way. Darrell Johnson Byron Vaughn's junior for Hoko Tyrus Wheed. But then also keep an eye on a guy like Chauncey Ghost. Yes, Chauncey Ghost and started his career with the Cowboys. On the end. They moved him inside to help with that defensive tackle equation, but they might have to pop him back outside. He was taking some reps at the edge over the past couple of days, even prior to Sam going down. So maybe that increases, especially with Chauncey going into a contract year. I'm sure he welcomed as many reps as possible to try to have a breakout.
Speaker 8: Yere.
Speaker 9: You got to remember Zim go back to his Minnesota day. Zim doesn't have a problem with a tweener guy.
Speaker 8: He likes guy.
Speaker 9: If you look at what he's brought in in Kneeland, look at his lower body. Zim still has that old school mentality. We're gonna stop the run, you know we I mean that perfect athlete. I love him, but I gotta have somebody with some with some weight with you know, with some bottom to him. I don't know how to put that without saying a big butt.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And so you look at Kneeland, you look at Golds. So these are two guys like that. And uh, but Niland ran four six two, so he can get on that end. And yesterday we watched him in past rush. You got some explosions to him, you know, in past rush situation.
Speaker 6: Speaking of explosiveness, Uh, Manzi Smith, Yeah, are we seeing this? Are we seeing the same thing?
Speaker 5: Are we getting I'm seeing it and I'm seeing it with the glasses on. So that's how I know that it's right. Mazzie Smith, He's checking all the boxes right now, he really is. He's checking all the boxes. Over three hundred pounds, reporting the camp over three hundred pounds. Check power still as explosive and legendary as it was when he was at Michigan. Check get off on the snap a massive, massive criticism of Mazzie Smith from last season. He's timing up well. And it's funny because not funny but ironic and not coincidental. We're talking about Sam. But there was a video I posted two days ago, was through the walk through the mock game when it was a four man down set. It was Sam Williams oh Soo DIGGI'SU with Mazzie Smith and Marshawn neelm and I was right there lined up with the ball and on the snap only one person was equal to Mazzie Smith on the quickness on the first step, and that was Sam Williams. So take that how you will, because Sam Williams, in my opinion, is deparently the quickest first step on the defense for anyone not named Michael Parsons.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you like this and for all you guys and gals that oh it is. It is a pass for what they are asking these players to do at this point in time.
Speaker 5: Talk to them.
Speaker 8: Guys are doing it. I call it the forty nine of practice.
Speaker 9: The league has evolved into how the forty nine ers used to practice. They will put on pads for inside run, pass for one on one passing and one on one pass rush, and then they would take them off and the rest of the practices about speed, about quickness, about knowing where to be. These young guys, especially the second year got third year guy, they are moving so much faster than a year ago, especially the offensive.
Speaker 8: Everybody knows where to be. I saw.
Speaker 9: I don't know what y'all have decided on what to call turping, these different names turbo turp.
Speaker 6: Yes, actually we have video evidence to support otherwise. I talked to Cavant Turpin yesterday and he likes the nickname Turpy Turpy Speed Speed.
Speaker 8: Okay, but anyway, I need you to cut that in.
Speaker 2: We're gonna cut it in beams, got it. He's got the video to him.
Speaker 9: I'm not calling another man. I was listening to him yesterday doing practice. He expected to get a ball, but another receiver ran in the wrong route, and he say, that's the wrong route. That lets me know that he knows where to be, knows, but he also knows where the other guy needs to be. This wasn't a turfing we knew two years ago. Maturey has set in with a lot of these guys.
Speaker 8: They are competing.
Speaker 9: Like you said earlier, these wide receivers are competing there. You know who you know who brought that fire like that?
Speaker 8: That Billy Johnson he did.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, but I'm not gonna get you know, I ain't gonna slide.
Speaker 5: For those that are saying, you know, well, as it relates to Masie's quickness on getting off on the ball with the Pats are not on. I don't know if you think the pats weighed forty pounds or fifty pounds The quickness off the ball is the quickness off the ball yest and guess what Mazzie puts on pads? The offensive line has to put on pads as well. So that to wash. Let's take it for what's happening in real time and not try to find reasons to devaluate. The fact is that's not blow it up, but that's not diminish it. The fact is he weighs more like he's supposed to. He's quicker than he was in year one. He's making progress and he's taking the steps, and that is something to be keep an eye on.
Speaker 8: Sometimes you have to take a year to mature.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: You know I was critical on him and my man Patrick to tell you early that.
Speaker 9: You know, I was trying to tell him for this year and this kid, you know, he's just it hadn't clicked right. Maybe it's a change of coaches. Maybe it's just maturity of knowing where he fit and what is expected of him. And what I've liked about this team concerning Mazie is they didn't go out and get nobody.
Speaker 8: They said, Mazi, look at here, you are a man.
Speaker 5: Let's go the first round pick.
Speaker 9: This is your responsibility and so so far, what they have asked these kids to do, Mazi and all the rest, turping and all the rest, they have done what the coach has actually move with quickness, nowhere to be and do it in a time to fashion.
Speaker 8: These guys have done it up to this point.
Speaker 5: And if Mazzie Smith does and continues this trajectory, basically what we're looking at is a replay of Jalen Tobert. Right, So, Jalen Tobert came into the league and he was kind of deering the headlights and he admits it, and it took him that offseason following his rookie season to kind of get back to his roots and remember himself and get back to doing what got him here. And then in year two we saw a completely different Jalen told Mean and it feels like at this moment, it feels like that's what's happening with Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 6: And speaking of Mazzi, there is a great article now on Dallas Cowboys dot Com from Nick Harris from a media availability yesterday got to talk to Mazzie Smith and got to ask him a few questions and.
Speaker 2: And next on Talking Cowboys, We're.
Speaker 6: Gonna go into the media availability that we had yesterday and talk about one of the fan favorites that Patrick wrote about, De Marvin overshowing more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Right after this bread, I.
Speaker 3: Got up to say, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you footy deals.
Speaker 10: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee. Today, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it. To Bank of America. What would you like power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Eco credit opportunity lender.
Speaker 5: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Quaker Oats, bring out the good again, bring out.
Speaker 8: The just start from the beginning. No, no, we're moving on. Quaker Oats.
Speaker 2: It was a sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Get your oats in, baby, Okay, okay, get going, Zeke you something else making fun of my reads?
Speaker 7: Nate, I love it though, I love you so serious love all right?
Speaker 2: We got more to get to.
Speaker 6: I want to get to uh Themorron overshown Now. Patrick wrote a great article on Dallas Cowboys dot com that Nate read.
Speaker 8: How did you write? How long did you talk to him?
Speaker 5: Probably not four minutes total total audio?
Speaker 9: And you wrote a go read that documentary that he wrote a great documentary. I mean, I'm like he had to talk this kid at least three.
Speaker 5: Hours total audio was like three and a half minutes, not counting spaces.
Speaker 8: Well you did.
Speaker 2: It's not a Feller.
Speaker 5: That's that's uh a writer. It's about telling the story. And some stories are so enjoyable to tell. This young man's story is absolutely one of them. You know, even pre injury. This is an East Texas kid who grew up idolizing the Cowboys, always wanting to wear the star. He gets the nod from the Cowboys as the as the third round pick, and then he shows out immediately in his first training camp, wasted no time making some waves. He goes down first major football adversity. He had never suffered an injury as devastating as a town a cl that he suffered. Question then is can he come back? And how long would it take for him to hit prime form? And he's hitting prime form and through the process of rehabilitation, he never lost that million dollar smile, never lost that positive attitude, never lost his face. So some stories are just not only worth telling, but you just feel good telling them. And overshown is one of them.
Speaker 6: Not only that story, but I remember last year at training camp, Haley Sudden worked on a video.
Speaker 2: Shouts outh to Haley, shouts out to Haley.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: She she made an amazing video and edited herself. I'm pretty sure she did with Marvin Overstrong where she went to his town, his hometown and profiled them amazed horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really really insightful.
Speaker 8: On the horse.
Speaker 5: I don't know if they don't know she got he has horses in his family. They have horse out in East Texas.
Speaker 2: Very country.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 2: And that profile is great, but the article yesterday was even better.
Speaker 6: And uh, it's great to see a player that is unanimously loved by everybody, you know. It's like everyone's just so excited to see him on the field, see him blazing. And like I said before, the man is a specimen. He's running around on fire, genuinely like and yeah.
Speaker 5: And the beauty of it is is the fact that his rehabilitation, he didn't just focus on getting his knee stronger, getting his leg stronger. He took that opportunity to add some weight, right, But it's lean muscle mass. It's not quote unquote bad weight. As John Stevens Junior made sure that he pointed out, He's like, I didn't add bad weight, it's good way over showing his plus six over last season.
Speaker 8: Why why you looked at me when you said bad weight?
Speaker 5: I mean donalize, don't eternalize itternalize, eternalize it. Don't attack mental health, don't eternalize. We're talking objectively bad weight. Your your weight got you, you know, to legendstatus. So that's a good way, okay, right, it's relative. Okay. So over shown he's plus twelve over his pre draft waight plus six over last year. And I asked him straight straight up, I said, hey, how quickly or how long did it take him to get accustomed to his new frame, that plus six that added muscle? And he's like, it was a it was a little you know, it took a couple of days during the rehabilitation process. But he said he's back to full, full goal full form. And just one thing that he said that really are two things he said that really stuck out to me. I asked him, how excited is he to get back on the field and especially get into these preseason games, and he said he is looking forward. He's as looking forward to playing as he is y'all looking forward to him play, right, So he's excited, he's ready to go, and he's right, we are more than ready to see him back on the field, especially for a linebacker corp that needed to be rebuilt this season.
Speaker 6: We needed a last year desperately and to see him flying already this early.
Speaker 2: After that injury is great.
Speaker 8: And you know, I want to give.
Speaker 2: In the background, I think that's yeah, just turn it up back.
Speaker 9: Let me go on to that over shown and and he's a perfect example of what we're talking about. Early in camp, people were noticing this kid. I didn't notice him as much because I was inssolved in other positions, but people were telling me, hey, what did you see over And you know, people, what do you put on the past? Well, some kids can escalate from the walkthroughs, the OTAs and they just get better and better with recognition. And a lot of times that's what it's about. It's about recognition, knowing where to be. And so when they put on the pass and this kid was popping, I mean, he just escalated. And that is what we're talking about. Can he overcome that knee? Because you talked about the mental part in the story, go and read it, great, great article. Uh, And he feels like he has no problem with it. And if and if any kid can make that jump where it doesn't bother him, I'm betting on over shown.
Speaker 5: Here's Overshown's quote to what the big name is saying. Quote, you're gonna hear my pads popping. I'm gonna throw my pads around, even if I got to hit myself, I'm hitting somebody. Quote. Yeah, he's ready over.
Speaker 2: Shown comma overcome.
Speaker 7: Eight people, name by eight people. It ain't none of them yet, oversho.
Speaker 2: Look at the comments on camping out. People are dying for Turkey Turkey.
Speaker 5: Speed speed watch the show watch camping Out, Watch camping Out. It's camping out. It was fantastic.
Speaker 2: You'll see it.
Speaker 6: Anyways, practice picks, so I want you guys to all right, practice picks means interceptions. Okay, the secondary is showing out at campus when you have names like Doron Blande, of course, but you also have Kaalen Carson rookie. You also have Josh Butler going out there snagging interceptions. How are we feeling about the secondary so far? And is it safe to feel optimistic of the secondary at this point? At this point, I'm not saying for preseason game, I'm not saying for the start of the season, but at this point is it safe to feel optimistic about the secondary?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to talking Cowboys, we really appreciate.
Speaker 5: Okay, all jokes aside, even though I was not joking at all. It is safe to feel optimistic for a couple of reasons. One, look at how this secondary has been able to take the ball away in recent seasons. Okay, and then you come in. You come off of a season where you lost Trayvon Diggs. Yeah, you did have Stefan Gilmore there as you know, the stabilizer. But look at what Deron Bland was able to do move from Nickel, which he had a breakout season at as a rookie following the Joy and Lewis injury. You pop him outside and what does he do? He ratches it up the intensity and he becomes historic with the number of pick sixes. You're bringing that energy into this camp and the fact that Trayvon Diggs could return any day now. But even before Treyvon Diggs takes the field, we're talking about interceptions having already happened. We're talking about Kayln Carson hashtag seat belt strapping up guys. Okay, We're talking about Josh Butler making athletic interceptions. Jordan Lewis had an interception on Dak Prescott and guess who else who else with the pick six in this camp, it's de Ron Bland. Absolutely, you should feel good about where this secondary is headed pre Trayvon Diggs and most certainly post Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 9: What you gotta understand is, and this is this is old school to me because normally this is how all of our training camps. When I played, where the defense is so much ahead of the offense in the secondary, it showed enough looks that way. Now, not so much with the defense offensive line because it's been a good little missmash there, but secondary wise.
Speaker 8: And I talked to said, what's happening.
Speaker 9: He said, I'm trying to TD boys to eat them up every chance to get on the field. And uh, besides Dak, Now, Dak is through a few, but the other quarterbacks who haven't had any time, and with these receivers it is showing up tremendously. And it also goes to how Zimmer is scheming some of these guys. What we're seeing already is a lot of misdirection. Yes, so you're seeing a lot of misdirection.
Speaker 5: You're seeing safeties drop down to the line, and you're wondering is he coming or is he bailing out? And on any given play, you don't know which one is going to be. I saw just yesterday and the end of the mock game Marquise Bell he dropped down and it basically was a single front and then you didn't know who was going to drop out until the ball was snapping and all of a sudden, Marquise drops back in the single high. On the very next play, it's Donald. He drops down and Donald.
Speaker 2: Goes, I can do this. Yeah, right, I could drop back.
Speaker 8: This is how this feels, having eight pounds coming at me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's that type of misdirection that you're already seeing with the Mike Zimmer defense. And I don't think we're going to see anything but more and more or of that as training camp goes on, because I mean, he's one of the ogs of confusing and just using smoking mirrors to confuse quarterbacks and offensive coordinations.
Speaker 6: Now, not to get into well, he's a free agent, so Stephan Gilmore not on this team currently, not on.
Speaker 2: Any team currently.
Speaker 6: Would you feel better going into the season with a signing similar to Stefan Gilmore or do you think we played out with the players that we have on this roster.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm never going to tell you to not sign Stefan Gilmore. I was on the record in free agency saying bring him back. I love what I'm seeing in training camp. Yes, and I'm still saying, I'm all I'm on board with bringing him back because you certly doesn't hurt right. You can't have enough playmakers. You simply can't have enough playmakers. And Stefan Gilmore approved last season that he's still a playmaker. Are you calling the Uniga Stepan? Just hold off a couple of more weeks to see if this is what I was going to say. I'm absolutely with bringing Stefan Gilmore back. I am also, it equally could be said that I would like to see a preseason game or two with Kayln Carson and Josh.
Speaker 2: B and they need the reps and you.
Speaker 5: But truth he told you weren't going to see Stefan gil More in the preseason game anyway. So if you signed Stephan right now, it's I don't think it's not going to interfere with the preseason reps for these young guys. I think that if you can get Stefan Gilmore back in the building, you do it because you saw last year what he was able to do after the injury to Trevon Diggs, and that's why you brought him in injury insurance, but also to make some plays and he gave that to you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: All right, boys, we need to take our next break, our final break. Actually, when we come back, Tyler Guidon is looking great.
Speaker 5: Let's talk.
Speaker 2: And he had a few good reps.
Speaker 6: Yesterday against one of the best defensive players against one of the best defensive players on the team, maybe the best, but we will tell you about that when we come back from this break sponsored by Black Rifle Coffee. Thank you for listening to talking cowboys, will be right back.
Speaker 3: Todd thought it would be secure to jog and the cheat of Savanta. Todd believed the big cat repelling and he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: It's the official Min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor p for Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 8: Would you there, doctor?
Speaker 5: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 13: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier to cry out? Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 13: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 10: If you're looking for fresh American roasty coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys, Welcome back to Talking Cowboys Live in Oxnard, California.
Speaker 6: This segment is brought to you by Invisial Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Give them the Pearly Whites boys live.
Speaker 5: You like that?
Speaker 10: Like that?
Speaker 2: Come on, man, better than hanging with the boys, all right.
Speaker 6: So, Tyler Guidon had a few really great reps yesterday, more than a few. He's taking first team reps. Also Spicy Spicy and Patrick.
Speaker 2: Who did he beat yesterday?
Speaker 5: What's what's that guy's name?
Speaker 2: Mike, Michael Parson, Michael Michael Parsons, Michael Parsons.
Speaker 5: Let's take it back a couple of days Friday Mott Game slash walkthrough. We see Tyler Gouyton getting first team reps, which is eye opening in and of itself, but it's also against rookie second round pick Marshawn Kneeland. Fast forward to yesterday team drills, first team reps again. Check who's he lined up against the Lion himself. All eyes are on that matchup, all eyes and then it happened, and then it happened again. Michael Parsons could not get past Tyler Goyton and he was bringing out the moves. There's one particular rep where he tried to speed rush on the first step. Guyton got lateral, shut that down. Michael Reset try to spind move. So that's two moves on one rep and neither of them got past Tyler Goton. Keep an eye on that rookie first round pick. He's been putting in the work this summer and he's making some strides quickly.
Speaker 9: So you know when they put on them pass to morrow Yeah all eyes, yeah yeah, because when it happened the first time, you know, Parsley just kind of looked at the second time, let me give him a second move just and he's still so now he looking at him like h yeah yeah, man o, man on now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was exciting to see.
Speaker 6: I'm excited to see more from practice, even though we don't have practice today. What have been some of the best just play individual plays that you guys have seen on the practice field so far in our first weekend.
Speaker 5: Here again, go ahead, big mate, what you get?
Speaker 8: You know who it is? Billy White shoes.
Speaker 5: John's Billy White Shoes, BILLI Johnson is his.
Speaker 9: Name, Number thirteen opposite of our boy overshown this kid, I mean for what they have done, this kid is he ratcheted up the competition. He letting everybody know that for every rep you give me, it's one kid wanted to come out because he thought he had hurt himself and he saw number thirteen from the run and he waved him off like nah nah, because this kid is competing. And that's what you need is guys that are confident in who they are and what they're doing. This kid's competing man, and he's making everybody else bring up their level of competition. Just stay touched from what they can do with no pads on.
Speaker 5: So many opportunities already, just through four days of practice to point out potential favorite plays. But I'm gonna go with Theron Bland and that interception. It's not just that it was an interception. It's how he got that interception. He dropped me back. He baited Dak Prescott. He gave that the wide receiver just enough space where it felt it made Dak Prescott feel comfortable that the window was open for a quick dropping out on a two step. But as soon as that ball was in the air, he launched himself to classe, laid out completely, took the ball, held it through the process, popped back up, and then pick six. So for me, it's not just that it was the interception. It's the way that he baited the quarterback into thinking the window was there, but it wasn't really there.
Speaker 2: From out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: RKO from out of nowhere is basically what Deron Bland is. He's a human RKO vintage, And if you thought it was a fluke, you thought wrong.
Speaker 9: And you know, I know we're talking about plays, but it's like Billy, it's been like every play has been Yeah, he's been doing something. Yeah, especially that bomb on it on the rood.
Speaker 5: But but so so has Jayalen Tobert. Jalen Brooks continues to impress. Jalen Cropper had a couple of strong days. So I mean goes back to what we're saying. You know, this wide receiver competition is off and it's to the races, and you gotta love that these young guys are taking advantage of these opportunities because him is on the way back sooner than later, and when him returns, then those reps are going to kind of the windows. So get it while you can because seedy Lamb won't be going for long.
Speaker 6: You got to step it up all you can. And that's why you have Kan turping out there too. I mean, he's he's absolutely.
Speaker 5: Why are you enabling? Don't enable?
Speaker 7: You want to be using every carbo turp to get used, you said, but talk to.
Speaker 5: Him, you out out to Cavante. Cavante has been going hard and ratcheting up things this offseason. His chemistry with Dak Prescott is is quite evident. So when you're talking about it, and I said this on several episodes, when you're talking about the Battle for wr Iree, Yes, talk about Jaylen Tobert, Yes, talk about Jalen Brooks. Yes, talk about Jalen Cropt and how Tyran Billy Johnson is Billy White Shoes if you will. It's starting to make those climbs. But always keep Cavante turpeting that conversation because he is doing some special stuff as well.
Speaker 6: Yes he is, and he's had enough time now he's a best event on this team. Though basically now, Nate, you had a great question before we started that you wanted to add sort of to our rundown.
Speaker 2: What was your question sort of about? It's about practice in general.
Speaker 9: You know, there's no pads on. Everybody's much aware of that, of course, and especially with the older guys my age, a libbing younger, it ain't no pads on. And I've always told people, you know, it's kind of a forty nine ers thing, you know, and I've been over that several times. But what I've liked it about all of these kids, especially you know, guys that are not rookies, how they were moving with quickness, with purpose, with the desire to compete within the framework of what is handed to them. You don't see a bunch of guys running running wrong routes. You don't see a bunch of guys bumping into each other on the games for his pass rush.
Speaker 8: You don't see offensive line of blowing assignments or jumping off sides.
Speaker 9: I mean that may come as as they put on the past, but for what the coaches actually these guys should do individually and teamwork. These guys seem to know what to do, know where to be, and go there with a purpose.
Speaker 8: And I like that. I like this early in the camp.
Speaker 5: Well and when these pads come on and we talked about this at the top of the show, Darrell Johnson Junior for Hoko the List, Go Choce Ghost at the Edge, these guys are really going to have to make things pop in the absence of Sam Williams.
Speaker 6: Well, Okay, this is another thing that that kind of has fans heated about the Sam Williams injury is that you know, it's like, what are they doing out there that this tends to happen?
Speaker 2: You know that this happens once a year. It feels like we're we get a catastrophic.
Speaker 6: Injury here at camp. And let me be clear that was a special team's drill.
Speaker 5: That was not there were no pads, pads there, Nobody hit him in the little contact no contact. It's it's one of those things where now I spoke about this yesterday with several fans and you know, Cowboys Nation. It's not specific to the Cowboys. I know we exist in you know this cow We have a bubble. We are in this bubble, but there are thirty two bubbles, and I can assure you that in all thirty two bubbles they're dealing with the same thing. Torn acls have been a league wide issue and pandemic as far as injuries are concerned for several years now, which is what's birth the grass versus turf conversation. But obviously Sam Williams, he tore it on grass, non contact Treyvon Diggs last year at the facility back home. But it was on the grass field, right. So my thought process is this in twenty twenty four and beyond, we're of the age where athletes are stronger, faster, quicker than they've ever been in the history of human civilization. That being said, tendons, meniscus and ligaments are not necessarily able to keep up with what the muscles are doing when the muscles are operating at that level. So you know, get you get torn achilles and pop achilles. You get torn acls, MCLs, pcls and things like that, and it's just unfortunate. But how do you get a handle on that, that's the question. But I don't think there's an immediate answer to it.
Speaker 8: You don't get a handle on it.
Speaker 9: It's called football, it's called sports. It's called getting acclimated. And sometimes you take a bad step and I think somebody lost their starting kicker just jogging out on the field and tore up a hamstring.
Speaker 8: You lost for the year. This is football.
Speaker 9: One thing I would ask all players to do around the league is trained more within in the house. Let your uh A training staff and your people's train at your facilities. Don't go off, stay home. But injuries are gonna happen. It's called football. It is a physical sport, and it's not normal. It's not like me and you and Pat and Josh were just walking around. I mean, but we can get torn a c L walking up some steps. Kickball League yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dallas Cowboys Kickball League, we have someone who tore their a c L playing kickball.
Speaker 8: Like Chris Bean is a referee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hey, I feel like you're hitting the referee everybody loves. But it just it comes with playing sports and unfortunately that's just that's just a part of it. So, you know, what can you do? Not play sports? I guess because outside of that, injury is going to happen. They're going to be unfortunate. And Sam say, it was a freak injury. He went to plant his leg, non contact, his knee blew out. What can you do? And for those that are saying, well, you know what more can the Cowboys do this and this? I've come out here sometimes and I see the Cowboys defense and offense going through yoga. Yes, right, So the Cowboys are investing resources and trying to prevent those soft tissue injury strength conditioning. So shout out to the trainings that Britt Brown, Jemiza and the crew. But at the end of the day, the individual's body is either going to hold up to it or it's not. And when it's not, you never know when that might be. So for Sam Williams, Unfortunately that came on Friday with the torn ACL and mcl wish them the best long journey to get back. But the good news is, well should said, the silver lining, not the good news. The silver lining is John Stevens Junior, Yes, Treyvon Diggs, demarv Jonnovershown, David Durtin. We live in a a league nowadays where a torn ACL does not have to be career threatening and you can be back on the field in twelve to thirteen months from now. So you talk about timing of it happening. Not only does the timing make it less of a tragedy for the Cowboys because they now have time to figure out, but for Sam Williams, he might be on the field next year's training camp.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we've come a long way in that sense. Uh boys, we have to wrap it up. It's nine forty five. We've got to head out.
Speaker 6: Thank you Patrick, Thank you Nate, Thank you for Christopher Paul Beemer in the background. Go team US, say, keep up with the very latest on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 5: Uh who needs two ankles?
Speaker 2: Simone bows absolutely killing it? Go Team USA, uh.
Speaker 9: Miss uh go ahead. Synchronized Diving I'm so sad I don't have the YouTube, but now.
Speaker 2: He's so mad at it.
Speaker 6: He doesn't want to want to watch any of the record of the Olympics because he miss synchronized diving.
Speaker 2: But I will have Hanging with the Boys later with your host Sharon. Thanks for coming.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 9: We really appreciate yes, stungrossed my teammate, I'm me and Josh.
Speaker 8: Finna go at it.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: We'll catch you next ye over biscuit in a minute.
Speaker 10: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.