Speaker 1: On this week's episode of Cultivating her Space.
Speaker 2: Black women have a history of taking care of our families and saving our families. Sometimes, some black women feel as if they can save men from their own emotional stuff, and in which case say, sit still, sister, You can't save this man from himself. Give that man the time he needs to figure his own shit out, because that's what you're looking for. And then when he circles back to you, if he circles back to you, hopefully he's in a different headspace in order to treat you like the queen that you are.
Speaker 3: Hey, lady, have you ever felt like the world just doesn't get you? Well, we do.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Cultivating her Space, the podcast dedicated to uplifting and empowering women like you.
Speaker 3: We're your hosts, doctor Dominique Broussard and educator You're On Psychologists.
Speaker 1: And Terry Lomax, a techie and transformational speaker.
Speaker 3: Join us every week for authentic conversations about everything from fibroids to fake friends as we create space for black women to just be.
Speaker 1: Before we dive in, make sure you hit that follow button and leave us a quick five star review. Lady, We are Black Founded and black owned, and your support will help us reach even more women like you.
Speaker 3: Now, let's get into this week's episode of Cultivating her Space.
Speaker 4: It's doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R d Omi ni Que b are Oussard dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from.
Speaker 1: You, lady. Today. We have a very special guest. Okay, the last time we had him on the show, I'm pretty sure we were on lockdown because of the vid aka COVID nineteen. But he made us laugh, He made us he made our guests clutch their pearl. Should I say that's what we heard from some people. Okay, but he was a whole vibe. Doctor James Widley has served as a clinician and mental health consultant in the metropolitan Philadelphia area for over twenty years. He has experienced working with individuals, families, couples and empowers them to reach their emotional, social, intimate, and spiritual potential. Now there is so much more that we could say about doctor Widley, but we're gonna let you hear it from him, Doctor James Widley, Welcome to Cultivating her Space. Welcome back to Cultivating her Space.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for the invitation again. You know, as you mentioned, Terry, we had a real nice time the last time and last time we met.
Speaker 5: I think it was first thing in the morning.
Speaker 2: Y'all hadn't even woken up by the time we started, but by the time.
Speaker 5: We were up and ready ready to go.
Speaker 2: So you need to do this dance again, and again I'm grateful to you and Don for inviting me back.
Speaker 3: Well, we are definitely looking forward to this conversation and we know that our audience is going to benefit so much from this. And so our quote of the day to kind of help ground the conversation. Our quote comes to us from bell Hooks. Intimate relationships can provide a sanctuary from the world of facades, a sacred space where we can be ourselves as we are. So doctor Wildlie, when you hear that quote from bell Hooks and you think about the work that you do, what comes up for you when you hear that quote.
Speaker 2: That sacred spaces are safe spaces. And the only reason why I came back to this kind, to this podcast is because y'all created a space where I felt comfortable enough to share whatever it was on my mind, whatever it was in my heart, and whatever it was was in my spirit. So yeah, I got the email. I was like, well, shoot, I got to come back. So the same thing happens in intimate relationships, where when partners feel comfortable and safe, then those spaces can be sacred and they feel safe, then they feel comfortable in being themselves and being authentic to themselves and to their partners.
Speaker 1: That is so beautiful and we appreciate you, and we do not take that for granted, doctor Wiley, So thank you so much for sharing that. And we have a bunch of questions for you.
Speaker 5: Of course you'll be waiting six years to come back now. Oh now, we got you.
Speaker 1: We got you, we got you, we got you, we got you. Well, so we have a bunch of questions for you, right, But what we want to ask you first is for the woman who's listening right who you know, the black woman who's doing her thing in the world right now, she's tuning in. What do you hope she walks away from and takes from this conversation, especially when it comes to loving, understanding, and relating to black men.
Speaker 2: I think what I would like for black women to get out of this episode of her podcast.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna keep promoting y'all.
Speaker 2: Because y'all about that life is that I want Black women to have a stronger sense of themselves and a stronger sense of the direction that they want to move in. Too often, some black women, not all black women, but some black women end up foregoing who they are just to get a partner and to keep a partner. But because you all have been successful in doing this, I want black women to walk away feeling strong. I want them to walk away feeling empowered and in the words of Maya Angelou, to be that phenomenal woman. So again, I just want Black women to get the most out of themselves out of everything that they do.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, we love that we are here for it. So we've referenced multiple times that has been six years since you were.
Speaker 6: Last year.
Speaker 3: And so, and during that interview, we were in the midst of the pandemic, and we assume anecdotally that the pandemic had an impact on relationships. But you are the relationship expert. You work with couples on a daily basis. What have you seen in relationships that has shifted, Like, what are the changes in shifts that you've noticed that can be attributed directly to the pandemic.
Speaker 2: I think during the pandemic, because people were quarantined, people had a chance to sit still and just be with themselves differently than what they had been prior to the pandemic. Because people had a chance to sit still, when the quarantine was lifted, some folks end up cutting up and acting a food. And what that looks like in real time is that people became more creative imaginative in their identities creative and imaginative and the behaviors that they were willing to engage in and to take chances living their best lives. But since the pandemic, since there's been somewhat of a conservative shift in our country, people have become more conservative in their partner selections and maybe even more conservative in the behaviors that they exhibit in their relationships. And what that looks like is that for some people, and particularly some black folks, particularly black women, they've become more discerning and they ain't going out with you just because you got this or that or whatever. They're more likely to ask questions. They're more likely to set boundaries and be like, nah, I'm good, I'm cool, I'm better by my damn self.
Speaker 5: And it's been.
Speaker 2: Awesome that they've looked inside rather than looking to all these external forms of reinforced, particularly.
Speaker 5: From black men.
Speaker 1: That's a really good observation. And with that in mind, what have you heard from the men about that? Like, what have the men been saying about Yeah? Oh, the men they feel in some kind of way.
Speaker 2: You're not just gonna show up and think you just gonna get some get some setting that wop that wap.
Speaker 5: You not just gonna do that. You got to pay for it.
Speaker 2: And black men long enough to say, nah, I'm good. And even if you are paying for it, if your credit ain't right, if your teeth are raggedy, and you ain't been to the dentist, if you ain't got no checkups, you can't show up with no STI papers. No, black women ain't not going for the okie dope, No more so black black men. They we have had to get our shit together.
Speaker 5: Am I not a curse? On your podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes you are.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know we got blackches, but I didn't know if I could step out there right away, but to get our shit together. And then, like I said, it's good that black women are holding the line and saying now we're not going down these old paths and going for the old oakie dope like we once used to.
Speaker 3: That. Okay that, and so with the men recognizing that black women are going for the okie dope, that we are holding the line in terms of like the standards and boundaries of what we're looking for. What how has that shifted for black men in terms of the way they choose to approach relationships.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that opens up a whole nother can worms because you know, we don't want to do right. You know, we get bogged down and we get so focused in our video games, we get so focused on our online gambling platforms, we get so focused on staying at home and living with our mamas. That black women have taken a back seat to all these other deflections of intimacy. And so sometimes for some of us, sometimes we feel like we can do better by our damn selves, and we don't want to do the work on ourselves and on our relationships to have something different.
Speaker 3: Ooh, you have black men in your office, and he is sharing with you because you've created that safe space for him to open up and bare his soul and say the things that he's not necessarily willing to say out loud. Well, what are those things that he's not willing to say out loud to his partner, to his friends, to his family.
Speaker 2: I would say one, I haven't addressed the trauma that I endured in my family of origin when I was growing up, whether I was abused, abandoned, or neglected. I hadn't really talked about it with anybody. That's one. I haven't really addressed the event, excuse me, the trauma that I endured from my previous relationship, where I may have felt mistreated or misguided or misunderstood. I haven't worked it out with myself, with my family, with my pastor with my therapist. So I bring all that baggage to this new relationship. So when I do bring the baggage to the new relationship, I'm looking to you or looking to y'all to help me process all this crap that should have been dealt with before you and I got together. Somehow, some way, I was able to fashion my life in a way that attracted you to me, But you didn't know that I was carrying all this baggage with me. So with the black men I work with, we spend a lot of time doing family and of origin work. We spend a lot of time doing emotional intelligence work. We spend a lot of time on building, on talking about how to build and maintain a healthy relationship. But more often than not, because we haven't done the work. Black men haven't done the work, we not ready to do the work with our partners, and that's where the chasm hat. So there's a lot of work that the black men have to do around their past as well as their present to figure out what the hell they want to get when they finally meet somebody and try to have something different.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Dom and I both like that is so spot on, because I'm sure we've experienced that right the aftermath of someone not having done that work, Doctor Wilder. I have so many questions for you now, but I guess the one I want to lean into is for the woman who's listening right now. She's like, oh my gosh, he just hit the nail on the head. This is my man right now. But this man is telling me he doesn't want to go to therapy. Oh I wanted to go to therapy. What does a woman do in that situation. He's a good guy overall, but like he has all this trauma and this stuff underneath, this baggage that's really impacting the relationship. And maybe she's doing the work on herself, but he's not.
Speaker 2: What's the shelf life of black women carrying black men for the rest of their lives. Oh So, when the man declares that he's not open and willing to do the work, it's no longer about him. It's about her and what was she willing to do to enable the behavior that's held them hostage for X number of months or X number of years. She's got some hard choices to make. And sometimes for some black women, they stay in relationships because they're fearful of what's on the other side of not having somebody, or they're fearful of looking in the mirror at themselves and realizing that if they are going to be phenomenal and awesome and be as extraordinary as they believe they think they should be, they got to be willing to walk away and.
Speaker 1: Quick follow up if that trauma is not addressed and he does not do the work, what typically do you see happen? Like, what are the outcomes? Just so we can paint that picture for them.
Speaker 2: Black women's well, the black women who come into my practice, they sit there crying, and I offer empathy and I offer them grace and I understand. But then again, black women sometimes they hold themselves hostage and relationships that don't fulfill their needs, and they sit around not only crying while they meet with me, but they I actually say to them, I said, well, you know, you look five, ten, twenty thirty years down the road. Your tears are probably related to the amount of time that you've wasted trying to coach up a black man who wasn't willing or able to do the work on himself. And that's not on him, that's on you because you knew from day one, or from month one or from year one that you should have walked away.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that the women should walk away and she should have walked away early on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And one thing that I've heard is that men tell you early on who they are and what they're looking for and what they're capable of bringing to the table, and that sometimes as women, we don't listen to that. And so how do you work with women in getting them to that space where they're ready to walk away?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: So thanks for asking, and again thanks for patients. Thanks for your patients. So we spend time talking about codependence. And sometimes the codependence emerges from some Black women not having dealt with their trauma of abuse, abandonment, neglect prior to them entering into the relationship. So once we draw parallels and lines from their childhood all the way up to this relationship, then they can see that, oh, this wasn't the first dude who I gave more than one chance to. I've been given dudes chances since day one because I was i don't know, abandoned or neglected when I was a kid by my mom or dad. So once we identify that, then we talk about the areas in which some black women have support, meaning that for some black women, they're very good at networking and having friendships that can allow them to have to tell them to feel like they are part of a village. So if you break up with your dude or reposition the relationship to become something else. Then hopefully you have friends and family who are there to support you when you are feeling the most lonely and the most vulnerable. But again, sometimes some black women haven't addressed the fear that exists in their lives around what life might be like if they don't have somebody. But really they do because I don't know, you always got a friend in Jesus, So there's that. But then they also have the strong members as well as friendships that can enable them to make mourning the loss of the relationship just a little bit easier even though it's hard.
Speaker 1: That's good. Thank you for touching on the support because that is so key. I think we've all been in spaces where we've had to end a relationship and it is so hard, it's so challenging, and oftentimes it takes us a lot of tries to do that. So thank you for highlighting that. Doctor Wildly, I want to shift gears a little bit and think about the woman who's maybe in a relationship with a man who is doing the work. He's doing the work, he's trying to meet her there. You know, they're working together. But let's talk about the fact that many of us say we want emotionally available men, but oftentimes I'm just going by the group chat. Okay, Oftentimes there's this unspoken limit on how much vulnerability we're actually comfortable witnessing. So whether that's the man you know, crying or displaying anger or you know, hurt or complaining certain characteristics that sometimes you'll see on social media people saying what are they say? They're like, oh, that's maybe feminine is the word I'm looking for, but they say something there's something else they say on social media that escapes me. But how do we what do you say to that? Doctor, Aldi like, how do women handle that?
Speaker 2: That? Hopefully both partners feel safe enough to emote in a way that allows them to not only share, but also learn and grow with one another. So for my male clients, we spend time talking about, you know, the continuum of masculinity and that traditional notions of masculinity means that you're strong and aggressive and assertive and maybe non emotive. But then I always challenge that those ideas around a particular emotion, and that I'll share with them that it takes a strong man to cry whenever he gets good and ready. So then or you know, have feelings of sadness, or feelings of even anger, or even happiness. Sometimes we as black men, we only display happiness when our favorite sports team wins.
Speaker 5: So, you know, having those moments.
Speaker 2: And actually practice practice those moments in therapy and inviting different kinds of emotional intelligence to factor in allows for a different kind of conversation between partners where partners can feel safe sharing whatever it is it's on their mind as well as feel heard as well as validated or affirmed.
Speaker 1: That's rateful. I do have a quick follow up question. I want to know when a man is finally vulnerable, what is the worst thing a partner can do in that moment when they are vulnerable, And ideally, can you share with us, like what does it look like to hold space for a man who is emotional at the in the moment.
Speaker 2: So one of the hardest things for some black men, and I think that's a people issue, is to share that kind of emotional vulnerability where maybe they do cry. The worst thing that somebody can do is judge, ridicule, minimize or negate those feelings. Sometimes partners, I ain't telling anybody to do this. Sometimes partners just need to shut up. You don't have to run in and fix your partner's emotions if they are angry, annoyed, frustrated, sad, confused, or whatever. Sometimes the space is just to listen, let your partner share his or her their feelings, and then when they're done, you ask them tell me what kind of support I can offer. In nine times out of ten, partners will just say, you know, I just wanted you to hear you out, or you know it, just hold me right now, and that typically goes a long way and or helps the partners to share the next time. Because if I come in and I'm sharing my feelings and you telling me what I should have done, didn't do, what was supposed to do, could have done? You not, Yeah, we're gonna get through this, but you won't hear from me again.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep exactly. And so you mentioned earlier about creating emotional safety, right what and we hear that term a lot. What does that actually look like in a healthy, loving relationship dynamic?
Speaker 2: So for me, that means, if you feel comfortable, tell me what you may need in the moment. I may say, dom Terry, I just need to tell y'all what's on my mind. So then you all say, all right, James, go ahead. So then I say, well, look, I had a nice time with y'all the last time. I can't believe that we waited six years to finally get together. Now the moment you say, well, James, we ain't heard from you either. You knew that we were popping, you knew we were hot. We ain't eat, we ain't getting no emails from you. While you sit there and wait, and then I say to y'all, well, you know what, You're right. Both of us could have reached out to us prior to six years. But at this point, you know, I'm confused, I'm angry, I'm hurt, and I feel abandoned. And then you say, you know what, James, we got you, And and you said, James, what kind of support can we offer to you right now? So again, safety is about hearing a person out, learning from maybe some missteps in communication or in the relationship, and then actively inviting the other to share what kind of support they may need from here on out. Because just as black men will tell you what they're what may be wrong, so too can we tell you what prescription we may need in order to make.
Speaker 1: It right, that's really good. Thank you for that, and thank you for sharing sharing your feelings with us. We appreciate you and we.
Speaker 3: Will not wait sixty years moving forward.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he heard you.
Speaker 5: It takes two to take because I was all in my fields. Hear from me? Is I didn't hear from you? So fel.
Speaker 2: You know Tom is Terry is James, and we got to fix this dysfunction. And we can't wait six years to get back. Get back on this zoom call.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're going to fix this dysfunction.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Talking about dysfunction. We see a lot of dating and relationship advice online. I'm sure lady, if you're listening, you probably see it all over. How do we decide who is a credible source? I feel like everyone's on TikTok or Instagram, like do this in a relationship? Oh, a person doesn't call you back? Do this? How do you tell what advice to actually follow?
Speaker 2: Well, if your social media sites are like my social media sites that comprise my friends, family, maybe influencers, everybody is a damn relationship expert, right, everybody got something to say about something. Everybody's damn expert. So how do you decide who is the most credible. So you do your homework. Can you do your research, and hopefully you find a relationship expert, therapist whoever, who has a value system similar to yours. For me, I tend to look for folks who are willing to displayed their own sense of vulnerability because the ain't no sense of me coming to listen to you, and you ain't got nothing to say about nothing about what's going on in your life.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not necessarily looking for you to tell me your business, but I do want to know that you grounded and confident enough to demonstrate humility. I'm okay with in show telling folks. Look, I'm man, my cousin's house.
Speaker 6: The internet.
Speaker 2: It's raggedy over here and I and while EBT is helped, Ebt and Snap are helpful, they not paying for no internet. So again, I look for folks who are real folks, who are genuine and authentic. And actually that is a tip of the hat to you all, because I don't do everybody's podcasts. I talked about Discernment earlier, and you know, I was like, man, let me go on and get on Terry and dons her podcast because they keep it real.
Speaker 3: Thank you, we appreciate that. And so in that in that discernment, how do we know or what is some of the advice that you've seen online or heard people talking about. Maybe your clients have brought it into session that it sounds good, but it's actually doing damage to relationships.
Speaker 2: Folks get caught up in the manisphere, and folks who.
Speaker 5: Might be.
Speaker 2: So into themselves that they have difficulty conveying empathy or compassion towards anyone else. And so for some of us men, we get caught up in the manisphere or this toxic sense of masculinity, and it's difficult for us to discern what is reality and what is fantasy. For some folks in the manisphere, they don't see the contributions that women make to their lives, and somehow, some way, those distortions have been internalized in the way where they disregard the beauty and the power of women. So I would say, folks in those in those spaces that they have difficulty discerning, you know what well fantasy and reality.
Speaker 1: That's really helpful. Thank you for sharing that. And I'm also thinking about doctor Wiley. Those situations where you you know, friends with benefits let's just call it what it is, right, friends with benefits situations, And I'm thinking about nowm and I've talked about this on the podcast where you have you're in a space in life where you're like, you know what, this might be my whole phase. I'm just having fun and that's what it is, right, and you think that you're just going to be with this person. It's going to be fun, but then you know, people catch feelings and things like that. So I'm thinking about situations like that. I'm also thinking about scenarios where someone's dating. What are some of the I guess red flags are things that people should really pay attention to and maybe take action or like make a decision about when they see them, versus letting it just kind of go with the flow and then they kind of get caught up in a situation. And that makes any sense, That was the kind of weird, weirdly worded question, but I hope it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, there, I got two things from you. So if people want to have friends with benefits or situationships or whatever, so long as sex is safe, it's pleasurable, and it's consensual, go for right. And that's having some sort of ethical standing or code for which you follow. The red flags that pop up should be hopefully honored, particularly because you all of us have our own sense of value and sense of morality, and when the red flags come up, we can turn away from those values and sense of morality, or we can continue to push through. Sometimes people have difficulty discerning even though they may say, well, look, you know, I want somebody who's going to be faithful to me, and then they find a partner who's not going to be faithful to them, and then they realize that they're going to endure or continue moving forward even though those red flags have been though, even though those red.
Speaker 5: Flags have been raised.
Speaker 2: So for me, I spend time talking with my clients about again having a sense of clarity around who they are, clarity about what they want, and then clarity around the trajectory and path for the relationship. Because without clarity, they don't be struggling and they made red flags that come up.
Speaker 3: That's like this word clarity. And so for the men that you are working with, what are they clear about that they are looking for in partners these days?
Speaker 2: They're clear that they probably want to have sex.
Speaker 6: Sooner of course, Yeah, there they didn't want them draw they trying to get them pannies.
Speaker 5: So you know a lot of times guys, they they move into fast.
Speaker 7: I'm like, come on, man, you you still hadn't worked on your stuff or your baggage, and then you thinking that you need to that you're entitled to have sex.
Speaker 5: And that's that doesn't that leaves little room for learning and growth and making good decisions.
Speaker 3: So I would say that, Okay, so they're looking, so follow up questions. So, if they're looking to have sex sooner, is there room for the relationship to grow and have a healthy dynamic if the sex is if the sex comes first, or the sex is like prominent in the relationship, and.
Speaker 2: So long as it's safe, consensual, and it's pleasurable, go for it. The absence of a conversation around sex history, the absence of a conversation about number of partners, the absence of a conversation around sexual what is taking puts the man and his partner in jeopardy for something. So again, for clients, we invite or I invite them to slow things down. Yeah, you can be into all things sex, but until you have a conversation about again, your past, your baggage and what you want in the moment and what you may want down the road. You might be placing yourself and your partner in harm's way. But don't do nothing on a lot of men looking for them draws.
Speaker 5: On this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they try this podcast. I love themphasis on safe sex and they're trying to get them genius, get them draws now, Doctor Wilay. We don't often have men on the podcast, right, so I feel like we're getting the inside scoop. We're able to ask all these questions. So I have a bunch of other questions coming, and I want to know from your perspective, like does this whole you know, people bring up the ninety day role. We have our own perspective on, you know, rolls around when to have sex. But from your experience and the men that you've worked with, and again your experience is the ninety day role? Does that matter? Like when how soon a woman has sex and how serious a man takes her? Like, what is your perspective on all that? I know we're going to be safe for sure, So.
Speaker 2: Whether it's nine days, ninety days, or ninety minutes, right, there has to be a conversation around what you want as well as how you're going to protect yourself. So some people, I well, I have plenty of clients who have been with their partners for nine years, or nineteen years or twenty nine years, and they still don't have a sense of who their partner is. So again, with my clients, I'll spend time, you know, taking a sex history and inviting them to share aspects of themselves that they may not have shared with anybody before. So, for example, you meet somebody, you think they're hot, they think you're hot, why not have a conversation around other partners that the person has been with and then giving yourself an opportunity to learn more about not only the partners that they've been with, but the kinds of intimacy that they've expressed over the courses of course of those relationships. When people become when people are uncomfortable having those sensitive conversations, hopefully that might not be a red flag, but that should be a yellow flag, like, hey, old on, maybe we need to slow down, Maybe we need to wait another ninety minutes or another days until you and I can have a sensitive conversation about the continuum of intimacy as well as the way in which we protect ourselves engaging in the continuum of intimacy.
Speaker 5: That'd be a hell of a book title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you heard it here first.
Speaker 3: Yes. And so as we think about this conversation that we're having and we're we have, we know we have a captive audience right now, right we know that the ladies are tuned in and they are like taking in all that, soaking in all the information. Is there anything else that black men want with the women in their lives to know that we haven't touched on yet?
Speaker 2: You earlier you had mentioned that some black men will tell you exactly what they want. And for some of us, because we lack emotional intelligence, but we know what our boundaries are. Sometimes we'll tell women we need time and space to sit in our own feelings, in our own discomfort. Because black women have a history of taking care of our families and saving our families. Sometimes some black women feel as if they can save men from their own emotional stuff, and in which case say, sit still, system, you can't save this man from himself. Give that man the time he needs to figure his own shit out, because that's what you're looking for. And then when he circles back to you. If he circles back to you, hopefully he's in a different headspace in order to treat you like the queen that you are.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that. That is so so valuable, And I truly believe that's going to help a lot of women that are tuning in. And I want to go back to something you said, doctor Wiley. You talked about really the importance of safe. Really you talked about clarity, clarity and getting having these conversations before you're engaging in intimacy with folks, right, And so I think back to, you know, my journey, and I had to become a woman of a particular age to kind of get to a place where I felt comfortable engaging those conversations. And now I have like a nice little little question list that I can ask. But for the young folks, like when I was young, I didn't really have that language. What is a way to like bring this bring it to the people so that if they're literally going out on a date tonight, they can like bring up some of the questions like Okay, I know I want the draws or I know I want the boxes. How what question is going to be asking this conversation to make it sound you know, like cool and not like an interview, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But it is an interview. I mean you can't. Yeah it is you fanticize intimacy or courtship or you know, trying to body. But the truth is is that folks need to protect themselves in ways that allows them to have another date. And so what I tell them all my folks like, turn your damn phone off.
Speaker 5: And present it owned. Yeah it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be some times where you don't know what to say, but be willing to sit with your partner and not feel like you have to save yourself with your phone. So but then I think the most important thing is that for me, I encourage my couple individuals and couples to be creative and imaginative in the moment that imagine being a kid, all right, and I'm making some assumptions about your childhood. When you're a kid and you don't have any equipment to play with, or if you do have equipment to play with, you use your creativity imagination to make the.
Speaker 5: Time goes by.
Speaker 2: That kids come up with all kinds of things to do when they don't have anything. But sometimes when they don't have resources or toys or whatever. But as adults, we feel like we have to run to our phones, or run to the TV, or run to some sort of screen in order to fill in the space when you take that when you take that screen away, some of us are fish out of water and we don't know what to do with ourselves. And so I guess one tip I would offer is turn your phone off. And then when you go out on a date, invite your partner to turn his or her phone off, and let's see what happens. And if you sit still long enough, the magic will really happen.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I think we're ready for some magic to happen. And so outside of yes, taking the phone away allowing ourselves to be creative, what are some of the other key components that are necessary for building a healthy, long lasting relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say maybe time. Don't be in such of a hurry to I don't know, have forever on the ballot right then and there, So there's time. Then there is listening that if I listen to you and keep my mouth shut, there's a chance that I can listen, learn and grow from whatever it is that you're sharing, because again I'm gonna tell you what I want, it's just not you're gonna listen to it. Then I think there needs to be some level of compassion and made empathy. So if I have gone through some shit, I'm not looking to be judge, ridicule and minimized. I'm looking for you to have empathy and compassion towards my previous experience where I may have had many growth opportunities. But if you're judging me, or if you're laughing at me, I ain't coming back. You're not gonna see me. And then I think that there has to be some flexibility or agility that just as you all have been in this podcast, I didn't know and I didn't know that my Internet was going to be raggedy, but y'all have been agile enough in order to accommodate my Internet deficiencies and say, you know, it's all right, We're good. So I think you know, just using in there. And those are somewhat larger terms, but I think keeping those tenets in mind may allow for not only individual growth, but also for relational growth.
Speaker 1: That's super important, doctor Riley. And the good news is if you're open, we would love to have you back when you are in a better you do have better internet, because we have more that we want to discuss with you. But one of the things I want to highlight is something you said this a couple of times when you were talking about expressing feelings, and you said, if you show up this way, I ain't sharing nothing else. That is so important for people to know, like that is such a delicate space when someone is opening up and someone is vulnerable. Whether you are I don't even want to say agreed, but whether you are comfortable with how they're showing up, but just being able to hold space, not laugh, not make it silly, just to be there with them. It sounds like that's just really really important. And sometimes it is a one shot thing, like if you show up in a terrible way, someone may not really come back to you. They really may shut you off in that way. And so I think highlighting that is just really really important. So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, And like I said, you know, you all have been successful for six plus years, and I'm sure that folks have learned a lot from you know, listening to your podcast. In terms of you know you all talking about healthy relationships and wellness and all things that empower black women and black listeners to be better versions of themselves.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we appreciate you coming on and joining us again, and like Terry mentioned, we will definitely have you back. But before we wrap up, can you share with our listeners how they can find how can they work with you? If they're like they're listening and they're like, oh, this is the therapist that I need. Like me and my guy, we got to come and see you, how can they work with you? And then also, you do a lot of scholarly work that is beneficial for the community at large, and so can you share with us how folks can access some of your work.
Speaker 2: So I be in these streets and I get around, get around, I get a lot. If folks want to reach out to me, they can reach me at Dr James Wadley dot com and they can see how I've been blessed and how I've been privileged, and how I've been favored and all those things. They can find me via Google. Come up.
Speaker 5: If you read something on Google that may.
Speaker 2: Be inconsistent with what I've shared on the podcast, it may or may not be true, but you're more than welcome reach out to me to find out for sure. And then you know again, you know, I'm I've been fortunate enough to be in a lot of different spaces, both domestically and abroad, and you know, to be invited back here to this podcast, you know, I was like, yeah, I gotta do this, so yeah, folks can find me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, doctor Ridley.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: If you want more speaking engagements, collaborations, or visibility for your brand, I got to tell you the truth. This is Terry Lomax and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've landed national media, a TED Talk, and six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework. Everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use Cold her Space for a special listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked, I'll see you inside. Visit get that pitch dot com or click the link in our notes.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know need support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls for Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration, or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 1: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move in alignment not urgency. What's meant for me? Respond to me, Keep thriving, lady, and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from Cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at Hers Podcast
Speaker 6: H