Speaker 1: From Marhart where Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: And Caroline Heiner Bloomberg's world headquarters in New York.
Speaker 4: And Imed Lovelow in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: Coming up full coverage on the inflation print CPI coming in hotter than expected. Former US Treasury Secretary and of course Open AI board member Larry Summers joins to discuss.
Speaker 4: Plus TSMC sales surge after riding the AI chip boom. We'll break down the details and discuss intaeils on veil of its new Goudi three processor.
Speaker 5: And SpaceX's prized Starlink satellite business.
Speaker 3: We're still burning through more cash than it brings in.
Speaker 5: I'll bring you our exclusive Bloomberg reporting and so much more throughout this hour. At first, it is a macro day and the market is under pressure as once again pricing increases are still running little harder than the market wants to see. Zero point four percent month a month increase in consumer price index higher than had been anticipated, and indeed does a federal reserve therefore only get to hike what two times this year the market and indeed the faded signal three times previously. We reprice the idea that Fed hikes will be coming, and only two to two of them. We're seeing a one percent fall on the Nasdaq. More broadly, we're off of our lows, and indeed we are seeing a real pushback.
Speaker 3: In terms of the bond market.
Speaker 5: We're seeing yield spiking some eighteen basis points on the front end on the two year, but we're higher across the curve ed notably, though, we are down from those twenty one basis point move that we sought a little bit earlier, but nevertheless we are basically at the highs of this year. I'm looking at Bloomberg Dollar Index that strengthens into a far more hawkish tone. That's coming really from the market signing that the Fed doesn't and can't hike as many times as indeed cut as many times had been anticipated. We're currently up some seven tens percent, as many feel that perhaps we have to remain higher for longer, so fewer rate cuts coming will only be two that we get for the yes the rest of the year. Let's move on to have a look at what's happening in the price of bitcoin because as we see a more hawkish tone, yes, we're going to see risk assets Sellok, across the board, we're down some seven tenths percent on bitcoin as a dollar does indeed strengthen, but ed as we reprice what the Federal Reserve has to do, and indeed maybe they remain higher for longer.
Speaker 3: What are you watching on the.
Speaker 4: Micro Well, three semiconductor related names, I would say are probably standing on their own two feet in this session rather than being caught up in what's happening with the post CPI trade. Meta is actually basically flat at ten percent higher. Next generation of its Meta Training and Inference Accelerator, its own AI chip that will now be deployed, just been announced, not doing much for.
Speaker 6: The stock Intel's down two point three percent.
Speaker 4: GALDI three AI accelerator is coming in the third quarter, Intel saying that it outperforms in some training cases in Vidia's H one hundred and will be comparable to the H two hundred that stocks down to zero point three percent. Though in Taiwan's semiconductor these are the US listed shares or ADRs, They're up one percent. The March quarters saw sales jump are better than expected sixteen percent. That's the best jumping growth going back to twenty twenty two. And the story, as we've said at the top of the show, is TSMC riding the AI wave. Remember this is the world's biggest contract manufacturer of semiconductors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's dig into TSMC and chipsmore broadly.
Speaker 3: We're pleased to welcome rumages.
Speaker 5: Ian King and well it was a surprise, but we perhaps were anticipating a real strengthening of TSMC's business because of AI.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean all roads lead to Taiwan right now. If you're going to build anything, whether it's in video and their data center accelerators, whether it's AMD who are doing better in servers than Intel, who are also getting into data center accelerators, whether it's BROADC and the networking, you are going to TSMT and you are paying for their most expensive stuff.
Speaker 4: That is pretty much a shape of the industry kind of story. There are some specific names that are interesting. Meta is interesting. A story you've been writing about Evasha accounts. They've just broken the story that they're bringing in next gen MTIA chip, but this is the in house silicon they want to deploy for their own training and influenced purposes.
Speaker 6: What do you make of it?
Speaker 7: I mean, this is them basically joining that long list and lengthening list of these companies that think, hey, I can do this better in terms.
Speaker 6: Of what I could better than who.
Speaker 8: Well that's the.
Speaker 6: Problem, isn't it right?
Speaker 7: They don't want to be paying the massive premiums that they're paying to in video, but they still are. But when it comes to a general purpose processor like this one, perhaps we can do it better than Intel.
Speaker 5: Isn't it fascinating that we see this after the day after the cloud event coming from Alphabet, where that is just this ongoing tension of these big providers of cloud but also runners of AI and builders of large language models wanting to depend on in video but not too much and ultimately having to be frenemies in Is this a relationship that can continue?
Speaker 7: I mean it's been going on for years now. If you look at AWS, is the progenitor of this trend, and they have really shown that, Look, we can you know, we've got the size to make the economics work, so we will do this as much as we can. But at the same time, the actual the real silicon companies that have been around for years, are still just about in the lead. They're still able to push the performance for the limits. So that's the balance that's been struck.
Speaker 6: Let's end on Intel.
Speaker 4: Intel has introduced its latest AI accelerator, Goudi three. It will be available in the third quarter of this year, but likely not at scale, and its performance is where Pat Gelsinger has focused. What else do we need to know about Goudi three.
Speaker 7: Well, it's not so much about Gaudi three really, it's the elephant in the room, which is what in Vidio announced earlier this year, which is they'll have their new Blackwell architecture in the market probably around that time. And as Girl Single's forced to basically admit yesterday, we don't know how we'll compare to that, and the influence that people have taken from that is you won't be able to compare to that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Ian King, who leads ours semiconductive coverage here at Bloomberg, and he's very busy man. Now, coming up on the show, we break down today's CPI reports with former US Treasury Secretary and Open AI board member Larry Summers's coming up, Stay tuned, we'll be right back.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Coinbas and Circle has penned letters to Senators Schumer and mcconnor urging Congress to enact a comprehensive regulatory framework for stable coins and digital asset market structure. It comes a week after US Appeals Court revived a twenty twenty one consumer lawsuit against coinbase, accusing the cryptocurrency exchange of facilitating the sale of unregistered securities. Joining us now is fire Our shows ad, chief policy officer at Coinbase, on set in San Francisco. Let's start with the suit or the revival of a suit last week and just get your immediate response to it.
Speaker 8: Well, the suit you're.
Speaker 9: Talking about is a private action that has gone up to appeals, and we'll go back to the trial court. We did quite well at the trial level. Your a couple of issues of the appellate court has sent back and so we look forward to going back to the district court and settling those out. But the big issue is the litigation involving the SEC, and we feel quite good about where we are.
Speaker 2: We were able to get one of.
Speaker 9: The major pillars of the SEC's case against us knocked out at a very early stage. In the trial we're going to go to discovery, yes, and we look forward to that process.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about your relationship with DC in the regulatory pathway. But one thing we've reflected on Bloomberg Technology in the last year is that in your industry, we continue to regulate through lawsuits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you.
Speaker 4: Say that that's a fair statement, and in the context of both the consumer suit and the SEC that's what's happening still.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, in the end of the day, as a company, our goal is to get regulatory clarity. So if that's through lawsuits or otherwise, we'll take it. But the right way to regulate, particularly if the US is going to be a leader in digital asset technology, is for Congress and the administration to do what they say they want to do, which is to create comprehensive federal frameworks around crypto markets and around stable coin issuance. I think we can do it on a bipartisan basis, and we hope our letter is encouraging of that to happen.
Speaker 4: You've written this letter to Schumer and others, and McConnell and others.
Speaker 6: Why, well, we have.
Speaker 9: A shared and rejective with Treasury and law enforcement, which is to get at bad actors that are in the crypto space. So there's specific powers the Treasury should have they've asked Congress for and we're supportive of. But we also want to remind everyone of the big picture is that we need the industry to grow in the United States, reflecting US values and under US laws, and the bigger the US industry is, and the more comprehensive it is in terms of defining crypto globally, the better it is for American national security.
Speaker 4: What the lawsuits we discussed in this initiative with DC having in common is you're trying to make everyone feel better that the ghosts of your industry are behind you. Let's be honest, Sam Bankman, freed was a big story of the last week is sentencing.
Speaker 6: Do you feel like, I mean, that's your job.
Speaker 4: Are you making any progress in convincing a wide range of people that this is a cleaner industry that is making progress?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 9: I remember much of the bad actions that we saw FDx finance others were largely offshore. So I think for a lot of people it surprises them the degree to which there is a bit of there is a dividing line between the US industry and those offshore who avoid stringent regulation. But in the end of the day, you know fifty two million Americans who have bought crypto.
Speaker 2: The American people have voted with their.
Speaker 9: Feed and their pocketbooks that they want to help update the system by participating in the crypto economy, and regulations need to keep up with them. And I think there's a bit of a gap but sometimes between policymakers and the public. And I think once people begin to see how many Americans have participated, I think they'll understand.
Speaker 4: Still, we've carried some committee hearings on this program, and we were aware of some lawmakers thoughts on your industry. If there is one area of lingering concern, it's about the use of crypto, which is a broad term now in illicit finance, finance or white collar crime. How much progress are you making we're getting DC on board to work together on that front.
Speaker 9: Well, I think Deputy Secretary i Domo said it well that the traditional financial sector is by far the larger threat to ilicted activity. They're the that's where most of the illicited activity occurs. I think they look at crypto as an area of potential future emergence as the center of listed activity, any amount of bad actions and cryptos too much. And you know, companies like ours follow all the same rules that traditional finance does. We are Bank Secrecy Act regulated and so on, and so I think those who know know that the industry in the US is a good act.
Speaker 6: It's clear what you want.
Speaker 4: But we have this House Financial Services Committee piece of legislation that patrickmc henry is trying to get through.
Speaker 6: No traction there. Why is there no traction? Really?
Speaker 9: Look, it's rare for congressihass builds through two different committees with strong bipartisan votes, and that's what we have. So yeah, I think, look, any legislation done, funding the government, funding the wars, all, that's going to be hard to do. But if you take a step back and realize that you've got Democrats and Republicans have come together who understand we need digital assets in the United States and they voted for it, I think that's exciting.
Speaker 4: Fire our Show's chief policy officer over at coinbas great discussion here in some this morning.
Speaker 6: Caroline.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got to turn our attention back to the macro picture right now that CPI print hotter than expected third straight time than inflationary pressures are coming in faster than expected month and month increase of zero point four percent. Now this is affecting the market check out where we're currently seeing bond markets yields the highest so far this year, yields up well, I mean, significantly higher when you're looking at a two year yield some eighteen basis points.
Speaker 3: Some of the key outperformers.
Speaker 5: Meta still manages to outperform on the day on its AI news. Intel though drag lower as we see chip makers more broadly sinking. But I'm looking at the moment Bloomberg Dollar Index currently up some eight tenths of a percent. Now, this is as we see the Bloomberg Dollar Index actually at its highest since November of last year. So dollar highest since we've seen this year. Yields highest since we've seen this year. NASDAK currently off by more than percentage point. But put it into context, we're still near the highest for equity benchmarks that we've seen on But what is the takeaway on the CPI print? What does the Fed do in terms of rate cuts? Is June off the table? So much more to discuss next with David.
Speaker 10: For our Bloomberg audiences worldwide. I'm David Western. We're joined right now by Larry Summers of Harvard, a very special contributor here on Wall Street Week. So Larry, great to have you with us on short notice. We've been talking on inflation on Wall Street Week for some time now. I know you're not hoping for more inflation, but you've been warning about it. What do you make of the numbers we sow today?
Speaker 8: I was not hugely surprised by the numbers.
Speaker 1: In an economy that's growing faster than potential, with an unemployment rate that has a three handle, in the presence of massive and growing budget deficits and epically easy financial conditions, the idea that inflation would remain robust or even accelerate should not be a surprise to anyone.
Speaker 8: And that's what this data suggests.
Speaker 1: It was not me or some outside observer who emphasized the concept of supercore inflation, that is, taking out the transitory stuff and also taking out housing, and by that measure, the inflation is running an above a six percent rate, and the three month rate exceeds the six month rate, and the six month rate exceeds the one year rate. This confirms the idea that the neutral rate is way above the two point six percent level that the FED has been using as a north star. In my view, puts back on the table. It is still not what I would expect, But you have to take seriously the possibility that the next rate move will be upwards rather than downwards, and anything could happen. Markets could crash, the indicators could turn down.
Speaker 8: But on current facts, a rate cut.
Speaker 1: In June, it seems to me would be a dangerous and egregious error, comparable to the errors the FED was making in the summer of twenty twenty one when it just didn't get the thread on inflation.
Speaker 10: Larry, you mentioned the supercore that, as I recalled, shared J. Powellmong others has talked about. Specifically, it raises the issue of are there aberrations you've seen in these data. We hear some people saying, wait a second, this is really housing and auto insurance. There are a couple of outliers, and that the rest is in this trouble saying is that right?
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Look, you can always find particular indicators that are up or down, but when you're making up.
Speaker 8: A story month after month.
Speaker 1: That's a problem when commodity prices are biking and those are being taken as a market indicator of inflation expectations, when break evens have risen, When the political economy of the country is heavily about inflation, trying to dismiss it on an indicator by indicator basis is an odd thing to do. Look, it is a technical subject, the price indices for housing. I don't think there are many Americans who feel like housing is becoming lots.
Speaker 8: More affordable these days. They really don't.
Speaker 1: And so to argue that somehow housing isn't a source of inflation psychology seems to me to be quite a surprising.
Speaker 8: View to take.
Speaker 1: Look why is why are we thinking about rate cuts when the economy is below what the FED thinks is the normal unemployment rate, when the economy is growing faster than what the FED thinks is potential, and when inflation is unambiguously above target and plausibly accelerating. The FED has once again, in important respects, lost its way over the last six or nine months. In the same way, making policy and making forecasts based on hope rather than on a hard headed look at reality. I think that the FED did a good job of cleaning up on the errors they had made in twenty twenty one, and I think it's.
Speaker 8: Reasonable to think.
Speaker 1: That they will pivot off the errors they made last fall that led markets to be ludicrously expecting six cuts this year, and I'm hopeful that that will happen.
Speaker 8: But I think the FED.
Speaker 1: Does need to learn some important lessons from this experience. Let me say one other thing if I could, David, there's been a lot of talk about nineteen ninety five as some kind of useful analogy.
Speaker 8: I think not.
Speaker 1: The unemployment rate was five point six percent in nineteen ninety five. Equity markets, as shown by what shown by the fact that they more than.
Speaker 8: Doubled subsequently, were not frothy.
Speaker 1: Particularly in nineteen ninety five, we had just come off a major program of deficit reduction rather than being in a program of unprecedented fiscal expansion. And we have really clear evidence of a kind we don't yet have now of productivity acceleration, and interest rates.
Speaker 8: Were higher than they are right now.
Speaker 1: So the case that somehow this moment looks like nineteen ninety five and that's a reason for cutting is something that I find inexplicable. Another thing that it seems to me is problematic is the notions that are increasingly being.
Speaker 8: Brooded about that the FED is going to slow QT.
Speaker 1: Of course, one of the things that today's movement and interest rates, the interstrates that interest rates moves that we've seen over the last month mean is that the Fed's efforts to do parry trades in the bond market have proven to be extremely expensive for taxpayers. And the length of time for which the FED is going to be showing annual losses or on a mark to market basis large balance sheet losses that looks like it's longer than we thought some months ago. So we need a FED that stays focused on what is very clearly the focus of the American people, which is price stability. And I'm afraid there are some signs that in the last few months they have lost their focus in favor of more ambitious economic theories about preempting.
Speaker 8: Slack that's not happening. Were some such Lary, You're.
Speaker 10: Always the first to warness that things can change, So we can't predict what's going to happen in the fall and into next year. You've said you think it's definitely a mistake for the Fed to cut in June. But given where we are now, what you know right now, if you had to make a decision, are we going to see any cuts this year? And what is the likelihood of actually an increase?
Speaker 1: Just to quibble with what you said, I said, on current facts, I see no case for.
Speaker 8: A cut in June. But facts can change.
Speaker 1: Inflation indicators could come in much lower than most of us are expecting.
Speaker 8: The economy could turn down.
Speaker 1: So never make an absolute judgment about policy several months from now, because all kinds of surprises could could happen. I think the odds are that the next rate cut will be down rather than up. But I think you have to assign a greater probability to the next rate cut rate move being up than you did.
Speaker 8: Several months ago.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether it's fifteen percent or it's twenty five percent, but somewhere in that range is what I would say for the next rate cut rate being up. I still think the odds probably favor another rate cut this year, but not by very much, and not by as much as is priced into the markets, even after the adjustment that we have seen. So reality markets are adjusting to reality. The FED is adjusting to reality, but I think the process is slower than would be ideal.
Speaker 10: Laurie, let me ask you what, for someonest be the scary question, which is, does the FED have the power to get their arms around inflation at this point through monetary policing or are there other factors that are larger than what they can really effect over the shorter medium term.
Speaker 1: I think FED has considerable influence over inflation expectations, which are an important determinant of subsequent inflation.
Speaker 8: I think monetary restraint does.
Speaker 1: Influence the economy, which feeds through into the inflation process.
Speaker 8: But gosh, we ought.
Speaker 1: To be doing everything we can on the supply side.
Speaker 8: Anytime anybody sees.
Speaker 1: A bottleneck, we ought to be going after it.
Speaker 8: I am all for.
Speaker 1: Effective competition policy that restrains price increases. I think the most important competition policy is maintaining economic openness and allowing competition for US goods from less expensive foreign goods. That's the most important competition policy. That's the most important. Anti gouging policy, that's the most important. Contain excessive profit margins policy, And so I'm sorry to see the extent of bipartisan consensus in favor of policies that are relatively protectionist. Do people really think there is an overwhelming danger that we're going to have excessive production of batteries in the world given climate change? Do people really think there's an overwhelming danger that we're going to elect we're going to have an excessive effort to use solar power?
Speaker 8: If not, I worry in inflationary.
Speaker 1: Times about policymakers decrying the growth of capacity, and there's been a certain amount of that on Secretary Yellen's trip to Shida and in US rhetoric on a bipartisan basis.
Speaker 8: So, yes, we should complement the FED with.
Speaker 1: Fiscal policies that are oriented towards restoring credibility, recognizing the defense spending that's going to need to come and allowing for it, And with microeconomic policies that are competition promoting, the most important of which is open to the global economy, with respect to goods, with respect to labor, with respect with respect to the flow of capital.
Speaker 10: So, Larry, you mentioned nineteen ninety five in productivity, is there some hope perhaps that we can get some relief from inflation because of a general of AI you're on the board of open AI. We had Jamie Dimond this week come up with his letter saying it's like the steam engine you at one point, I think that it was like fire. Is there a prospect that we could get some downside risk, as it were to inflation from general of AI.
Speaker 1: Any it's a question about horizon, Shavid, And again, I never make completely confident predictions, because the one thing we know about the economy is that it surprises us. I think that's potentially a very important factor if you look three or four years out. I would be very surprised if it was an important factor in the next year or two. And I think the fact that open AI or not open AI artificial intelligence is a potential competitor for commentators leads this to kind of have more salienc in commentary than it otherwise would. So yes, for the long run, I think this could be a huge event for inflation, a huge event for productivity growth. But I'd be pretty surprised if the effects were really large in the short run.
Speaker 10: And I thank you for mentioning commentators and not interviewers in that sense. I really appreciate that. One last question is important to Bloomberg audiences. In particular, financial conditions. You referred to the signaling of Cut's last fall. Financial conditions have been sort of off to the races here. To what extent do you think financial conditions played a significant role in these numbers we got today?
Speaker 8: Well, I think there's no question that.
Speaker 1: The twelve trillion dollars of wealth that have been created have contributed to greater spending, which has contributed to inflationary pressure. I think the availability of credit has had similar kinds of effects, So I don't I think it's hard to quantify precisely, but I think there's no question.
Speaker 8: That financial conditions have had a role.
Speaker 1: But look, David, sometimes the indicators or different indicators are pointing in different directions. This time, activity is super fast, Unemployment is very low, fiscal is expansionary, financial conditions are very loose and on the ground, inflation measures are above target and possibly accelerating. What is the theory of a ring cut into that configure that configuration right now? I don't think there is one, and I think that the FED has a communication challenge in keeping it on the table, because again, anything can happen. It can be financial accidents, there can be sudden changes towards reduced employment.
Speaker 8: There can be global developments, so never rule anything out.
Speaker 1: But I think there is a communication challenge around the fact that in the main ste dream scenario, we do not need.
Speaker 8: Rate cuts right now.
Speaker 10: Larry, thank you so much for taking time out of a busy data is found this today. That's Larry Summers of Harvard and now back to you.
Speaker 6: All right, thanks to David Western. Larry Summers.
Speaker 4: Let's get a quick check in on the markets NASDAK one hundreds where I'm looking, because throughout the course of that interview, we actually paired declines on the Nasdaq one hundred from a session low of one point three percent to around one percent. We're treading water at the start this week until we got that hot CPI print, not seeing any movement at least at the short end of the curve in the bomb market. The CPI front and center. In terms of the news cycle, we continue to look at individual names AI and the impact of infrastructure build out, which Larry Summers was talking about a little bit. There continue to be stories in terms of the individual names that we're looking at. Three kind of main stories in the chip space today. If the director switches up the board and we get to them, thank you very much. Alphabet shares down one percent. They held their Google Cloud Next event where they basically demonstrated that Gemini Pro one point five generation model is ready for the enterprise use case, and we dug into that throughout the show. Intel continues to be lower two point four percent, Galdi three coming in the third quarter, the market's not cheering it much, and Meta up half a percentage point introducing their own AI accelerator or the current generation they're starting to deploy. That share has pushed higher since that news came out. Those are the public markets. Let's talk a little bit about the private markets. SpaceX's prized Starlink satellite business is still.
Speaker 6: Burning through a lot of cash.
Speaker 4: Sources familiar with the finances of the world's most valuable startup say that Starlink has lost at times as much as four hundred and fifty dollars on each of the millions of ground terminals that it ships, and that's cast some doubt on claims by CEO Elon Musk and the company's top brass that the business is in quote profitable trajectory. But could Starlink be turning a corner carrot.
Speaker 5: Well, this is where I ask you for your expertise on this. The joy of being a privately held company is you don't have to be making public statements about your finances.
Speaker 3: But people are interesting.
Speaker 5: Because this is a company that probably has to raise money in the private field. So ultimately, what is revenue doing at the same time as profitability is still not quite less, So.
Speaker 4: We know that this year is a key year where revenue from starlink, you know, consolation based internet, outpaces the launch business.
Speaker 6: But I think what sources are.
Speaker 4: Telling us is that SpaceX can be quite selective in the financials it puts forward when they do a funding round or investors ask. The main thing is that they've zeroed in on manufacturing, just like Tesla did, to improve the manufacturing process for both the satellites themselves and the ground receivers. Now the margins on Starlink are improving, and what I heard from sources is that at the end of twenty twenty three they kind of hit this profitable metric and that's continued in a more meaningful way into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: And it is notable that I think it's a great story that You've written with colleagues car Porter Lauren Gush as well. But really the CFO isn't hinting that there's going to be an IPO anytime soon. But you want to be seeing ultimately when starlink is such a lynch pin for SpaceX in terms of all they.
Speaker 3: We're thinking of, what's separating it off as a business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the simple equation is this, the launch and Starlink units need to be profitable, and that profit will fund development of Starship, and Starship will get humankind to Mars.
Speaker 6: Let's keep the conversation going.
Speaker 4: Joining us now for more is Andrea Lamari, a managing partner at Quatro Capital but also transitioning general partner at Manhattan Venture Partners. That's a venture firm that is invested in SpaceX across multiple funds under their management. You have invested in track this company for a long time. How zeroed in a you on Starlink and Starlink's profitability.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Ed and team. So I would say overall, as we.
Speaker 12: Look at SpaceX valued at the north of one hundred and eighty billion dollars at this point in time and has deployed fifty six hundred active satellites, which is just tremendous, so obviously below the signaled target of tens of thousands of satellites that they've said that.
Speaker 11: They can achieve.
Speaker 12: Overall, what we have said is that that profitability margin can increase, but the money that they spend manufacturing with satellites and spending money on.
Speaker 11: Ground terminals has to continue decreasing.
Speaker 12: And with that being said, we know that Starlink will always be this amazing harbinger for all the missions and launches that they're doing.
Speaker 3: And we saw this week.
Speaker 12: That SpaceX continues to build great momentum with some of their customers with their bandwagon test flights, and you know they are intending to send payloads to Lark with all of their customers. But with Starlink, they have to really build that customer trust and momentum and continue reducing latency. Otherwise there is a world where they do see that consumer trust diminish.
Speaker 5: And what about trust of you, the people writing the checks. I'm really interested is the when you've been writing checks. At the very beginning of such a business, it was all about just making the vision of reality, let alone thinking about profitability. But when we start to see the nuances profitable territory. Does it worry you when actually perhaps some of them here and then now isn't living up to those sorts of statements.
Speaker 12: I would say that overall, you know, there's been tremendous gains happening at SpaceX for what they've achieved in such a short period of time.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of trust in SpaceX because.
Speaker 12: You know, Elon at the Helm has always been known to make boisterous statements around the nature of the profitability and growth of these companies. But the proven momentum in the trust that we have is own by way of the various components of customers across all of Baths's.
Speaker 11: Lines of business.
Speaker 12: And with that being said, with Starlink, we have to see that they continue expanding their coverage. As we know there's a lot of entrance coming into this space. Do what Airline Zion is doing with their Kuyper project for example, right of course on a much smaller scale, and there's going to be a lot of work done. That took SpaceX quite a long time to get to the point where it.
Speaker 11: Is with its Starlink deployment.
Speaker 12: But overall, I would say SpaceX has such a leg up against its competition, both domestic and international, and it's really with Elon at the helm.
Speaker 5: Or indeed it's Gwinn shot well as well, who's really sort of operating at this business.
Speaker 3: The SpaceX president.
Speaker 5: She had a great line on a podcast recently saying there's probably one hundred and fifty rocket customers out there on the planet, but there's actually eight billion potential.
Speaker 3: Customers of Starling.
Speaker 5: What does Starlin need to do not only in terms of revenue, profitability, but actually just ease of use and reliability to make sure that we start to see more than the common use device.
Speaker 12: So overall, they have to continue optimizing satellite positioning. With that reliability, they have to improve their ground infrastructure. They have to address those technical issues promptly and be reliable with their customer service. I do say that Amazon, you know, overall, has had a tremendous customer service arm and as the Kuiper project comes in as a new entrant in this space, overall, we have to see that SpaceX can keep up with that reliability. And furthermore, with Starlink, they have to continue its spinning coverage. It involves targeting specific regions that still have satellite deployments that are necessary and marketing those app efforts to potential subscribers. And we know that as Amazon continues to encroach in the space, they have a captive audience of potential customers, which will mean increasing competition across the board.
Speaker 4: Uh, Andreas, SpaceX is fantastic company. The starlink technology we've just discussed endlessly, and the financials are what they are. You know they will be profitable, they won't be and we will get human clind to mars on starship maybe. But you're an investor in SpaceX or Manhattan Benure Partners, is there's intense interest? How difficult is it to get hold of SpaceX and say I want to invest in your company? What is the competition like to have a piece of that pie?
Speaker 11: So it's a fantastic question, ed.
Speaker 12: I would say it's a very competitive cap table right the equity ledger of SpaceX and getting involved as an investor, you have to prove to be a value ad investor and be willing to stay with.
Speaker 11: The company for a long duration.
Speaker 12: Overall, And with that being said, because of the enormous amount of capital and the billions that SpaceX is ready to date, you have to prove that if you want to be an investor in SpaceX, you're willing to also deploy quite.
Speaker 11: A large check of a private market INA.
Speaker 12: And so with that being said, Basic has been quite selective, and you will see that the newer investors that have joined the cap table are ones that can really weigh into the company now with a large check B value add and then most likely be the same investors who will anchor the company going into the IPO and then continue investing once the company goes public if and when that happens.
Speaker 4: Quatro Capital Managing partner Andrea Lamari Grades, catch up, grades, Talk SpaceX, Thank you. Toyota Ventures has just raised an additional three hundred million dollars for its venture fund, one hundred and fifty million for its Frontier Fund two and one hundred and fifty million for its Climate fund too. Joining us how to discuss where they'll be investing is the founder and general partner of Toyota Adventures, Jim Adler. And Yes, Toyota Adventures is the early stage venture capital arma of Toyota, which has eight hundred million dollars in assets under management. I know Toyota, I've been talking a lot about Toyota for the last year in the context of EV or no EV.
Speaker 6: This is more money for you to play with.
Speaker 4: How involved is the mothership in Japan in each investment opportunity that you look.
Speaker 13: At, Well, thanks for having me at Caroline. I think that our mission is to discover what's next for Toyota, So there is a bit of a decoupling between what the corporate parent is doing.
Speaker 6: We view.
Speaker 13: Toyota as our limited partner. We are an a venture capital fund and the startup is our customer, and so there is a I think a healthy decoupling between what we're doing, which is investing for the very long term. The good news for us is that we have a very engaged, thoughtful, patient limited partner in Toyota, and they have continue to support us and our connection with the startups that are bringing the disruptive innovation to the marketplace.
Speaker 4: A lot of the legacy OEMs have a venture on work's in a very similar way and they're looking for something that adds in some way. But within that it's a huge range software, battery technology. Toyota is still very much focused on hydrogen as I understand it, just outline where you'll be looking.
Speaker 13: So we as you mentioned, we have two funds, a Frontier Fund which is focused on AI of course, autonomy, mobility, robotics, a little fintech, and then our Climate Fund, which is focused on carbicaps and storage, renewable energy battery electric, hydrogen as you mentioned, and even far reaching technologies like nuclear fusion. So we are really discovering what's next for Toyota and looking in places that are often not looked at by a big fortune global one hundred company.
Speaker 3: A lot of robotics in there.
Speaker 5: When I'm looking at portfolio companies, seventy five global startups already, Jim, we're not exits.
Speaker 3: You've had one. Jobe in particular, was a high point. I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Are you anticipating that you're going to be able to see them reap some rewards from prior investments this year?
Speaker 13: Well, Caroline, we do operate like an institutional venture capital fund, so financial returns are important. We are structured along a decade long GPLP term, so we do expect to see financial returns along the way.
Speaker 6: We are patient.
Speaker 13: We work with our startups every day to see them come up with their innovations, bring them to market. Grow their valuations and ultimately end in an exit that works for them, the other investors, and of course us as we count ourselves among our co investors.
Speaker 5: How competitive is out there at the moment in the VC space, Jim?
Speaker 13: Briefly, it depends on the sector. Of course, we tend to like to hit them where they ain't. We look it into deep tech and places where we think the world is going. Because we are so patient, we can actually look in places that are deep tech that are not necessarily running your typical SaaS valuation ramp, but might be popping being very flat and then popping in valuation as huge milestones are hit in certain areas like AI. Of course things are quite competitive.
Speaker 5: Started your career as a rocket engineer. Fascinating to see how you've now built into the VC arena with Twyota Ventures.
Speaker 3: Jim Adler, We thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 5: Christie's Venture, it's now reached ten investments since it's launched back in July twenty twenty two by adding two new companies to its portfolio, Conserve and Mentage.
Speaker 3: We're here now with none.
Speaker 5: Other than Christy's Ventures global head Tovang Zaka, along with Midget founder Nick Adler, And this is what's so interesting. You're investing in areas where sort of art meats technology, but also where fashion meets technology. Talk us a little bit about some of these investment rounds and how competitive it is in your space, the moment of vang.
Speaker 14: Thank you again, Caroline for having it's always a pleasure to talk here. Ten investments for us as a milestone, but as you know, we invest in four areas of technology, starting with fintech because while people think things like buy now, pay later as a huge investment, we've been doing that for two hundred and fifty seven years as an art company Web three, which is something we started pioneering in digital art two years ago. AI more recently, and finally what I'm calling human computer interfaces or hardware, because I think while chip's at a macro layer quite interesting, and we talk about Nvidia, chips also connect people in very interesting ways. Mintage is one example here today, so is Conserve works with institutions like MoMA and the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives to put chips behind paintings to track how their conservation is progressing. Are they having some sort of humidity? Are they sort of having some cracks developed, like all those things are important, and chips we don't think about in those fashions, but chip chips are a very interesting human computer interface, So that's an interesting area for.
Speaker 8: Us to invest in.
Speaker 3: Talk about NFC chips in your vintage collection? Why, Nick, What does it bring?
Speaker 2: Well? Vintage is an incredible category.
Speaker 15: It's something that my world expanding when I learned about it, whether it's the provenance of a product of an item, the rarity or the traits. I've been a collector of mintage. My partnershop Withtherspoon's very well known as a designer someone who works with vintage. So when he and I connected with with our third partner, Brendan Ruster from Adidas, we saw this world where people wanted to know more about these vent items. Vintages twenty twenty four is a two hundred and fifty billion dollar addressable market. Ten percent of retail right now is secondhand kids right now, they want to wear it, they want to flex it, and they want to learn more about it.
Speaker 2: And we want to add a chip to it when you tap it and you can learn all about it.
Speaker 3: But also you're on the intersection of web three as well.
Speaker 5: I mean, you've got such an interesting career background and history, haven't been in law having set up so film festivals, having work very closely still do with snoop for example, who is big in the NFT space? Yeah, why play NFC chips rather than more broadly Web three.
Speaker 2: Well, we really started in Web three.
Speaker 15: We started by thinking about how could these physical items manifest themselves in the digital world. And we did that through thinking about, you know, designers working to design digital NFTs as clothing, how could they work with games like Call of Duty or or GTA.
Speaker 2: So that's where we started, and the more.
Speaker 15: We explore digital we realize that attaching digital physical is one of the beautiful things that blockchain offers.
Speaker 2: So this has just opened up a whole world for us to exp and.
Speaker 5: Therein lies the underlying technology, the power of it. But we're now back in a bit of a hype cycle when it comes to crypto, certainly in a hype circle when it comes to AI.
Speaker 3: How do you see the wood for the trees where the good investments?
Speaker 14: I think that's the million dollar question, right, No fun intended.
Speaker 2: We look at it.
Speaker 14: From two barometers. Of course, when we started ventures, we had a dual mandate. One was potential for returns and looking at where the traditional venture play would look like.
Speaker 2: But we also try to.
Speaker 14: Look at investments we make as potential avenues of bringing new capabilities to Christie's. Can we bring new technologies to Christi's similar to what our previous host our guest was talking about with respect to Toyota, But in our case, out of the ten investments, five of them we've actively used and deployed inside Christie's, which is a very different way of operating. We can actually test these technologies, bring them to customers, give feedback. You saw Nick bring some of his technologies to the Christie's Art plus Tic Summit last year, which we hope to do again this year, and I think that gives us a real pulse of the technology. With just deploying capital, we also deploy resources behind it.
Speaker 5: Fascinating how your relationship built around that particular event be on tech Summit. We thank you, Christy's Ventures Global head to Bang Phaka and Mintage founder Nick Adler go so fast ed.
Speaker 3: That's it for Blueberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Recap, the podcast's greatest CPI print of our lifetime.
Speaker 6: Some were saying, this is Bloomberg