Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panha, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in, We'll Drive with Nick Wright. Episode two twenty NFL Free Agency Edition Legal Tampering period up and running, been going on for nearly twenty four hours. A ton to do? First? What missed the cut slash bringing amazing energy to the Oscars And I gotta tell you Ryan Gosling's performance was I was. It is the type of thing that the Internet goes crazy for and they're correct. On demons. Have you watched Ryan Gosling perform I'm just ken. Have you watched it?
Speaker 3: I've not watched it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am gonna. I am gonna make a prediction and maybe we can actually do this between the A and the B block during our break. I want you that you are going to watch it and just about midway through start smiling and be smiling the rest of the way that I don't know what it is. I guess charisma is it. But you watch Ryan Gosling perform this thing, and you're like, Oh, that's why he's a movie star. That's I understand he's good looking, and I understand he's talent. Did I get all of that? That it factor? This guy is singing I'm just Ken from the Barbie movie on set or on stage at the Oscars in a sequin tuxedo, and you just watch it and you say, that might be the most likable person that's ever existed. So you're gonna you'll give your review of that later in the show. Also, I guarantee, I'm right. I guarantee it. Also Vegas signs Gardner Minshew the same day, the Broncos are rumored to be interested in Zach Wilson. My god, I can't imagine what it'd be like to root for a poverty franchise like that. Oh my goodness, great, what do you mean? Why is it not heard him? Oh well yeah, but I've blocked out. I've suppressed those memories. That's like, you know what I mean? Those exist by Sarahbellum, But it doesn't even matter exactly. I've pushed that so far down away. Can you imagine having to trick yourself into being excited for Gardner Minshew just so, Patrick Mahomes can kick your teeth in twice a year. Unbelievable And the Pentagon says no evidence of UFOs. If it was a slower time of the sports year, we would spend more time on that. But it is free agency demons. So let's talk about a player who did not quite make it to free agency, Chris Jones. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yes, crazy year it's been for Chris Jones. He went from holding out to winning another Super Bowl to becoming the highest paid defensive tackle in the league. How important does the chief signing Chris Jones? Again? How important to that is to the Chiefs dynasty?
Speaker 2: It's critical. Listen, Other than since they've drafted Mahomes, other than quarterback, there is no position they have spent less draft capital on than detackle. They have spent no resources on it because Chris Jones is so great, so durable, so reliable, sins drafting Mahomes. The only person other than Mahomes that's been It's either Kelsey or Chris Jones. Who's been the best player over the last six years other than Mahomes, and Chris Jones has a case. Chris Jones win. The Chiefs won their first Super Bowl down ten against the Niners. Chris Jones gets a pass breakup, knocks a pass down to get the ball back to Mahomes. That then allows them to you know, have the ball where they ran wasp and cut it to a three point game. The next possession, down three, Chris Jones on second down and third down back to back plays, knocks down passes where there were open receivers. That gets the ball back to Mahomes and the Chiefs take the lead and win the Super Bowl. That's Super Bowl One. Super Bowl the the year the Chiefs lost to the Bengals in the AFC Title Game, Chris Jones had Joe Burrow wrapped up to win the game and didn't finish the sack. The Chiefs end up losing that game. It's the only reason they have him been to five straight Super Bowls. So how did Chris respond last season? All right, I guess two years ago. Now AFC Title game, third down, forty seconds left, twenty to twenty, Joe Burrow trying to drive the game winning score. For the game winning score, Chris Jones annihilates the Bengals right tackle, gets to Burrow sack. Chiefs kick the game winning field goal. This year, Josh Allen down three two minutes left, has Shakir open in the end zone. Why does he miss him? Chris Jones bullied Dion Dawkins into Josh Allen, so Josh couldn't step into the throw. Super Bowl overtime third down, Chris Jones gets a free run at brock Purty makes him throw it away. They have to settle for a field goal. Chiefs win the Super Bowl. In the playoff runs for all three championships, Chris Jones has made brilliant plays in addition to that. In the regular season, He's been the most productive d tackle in football not named Aaron Donald. And some people think Aaron Donald is the greatest defensive tackle of all time. So you had to lock him up. You cannot when you are And here's the thing, he's not young, but he's not as old as people have made it seam, He's twenty nine years old. And does he give one hundred percent on every snap throughout the regular season. No, But does that then allow him to show up in the fourth quarter of games and for entireties of playoff runs? Absolutely? And if you're the Chiefs, real quick, if you're the Chiefs, you have an opportunity. And this is not hyperbole, this is not nick you know, overreacting. You have an opportunity this year to become the greatest team of all time three straight Super Bowl victories. It's never been done. So do you pay a premium? Yes, you pay a bit of a premium, I know. Speaking of the payment stuff, demons, you have some You have a cap question, so go right ahead if you If.
Speaker 3: You yes, I mean with him being signed and being the highest defensive tackle, their highest paid defensive tackle, obviously, you guys put a lot of resources together to get him. Are you now worried about cap space and being able to sign other players further give more players money?
Speaker 2: Sure? So yeah, so they've signed no other free and.
Speaker 3: Could you and if you could keep the cap situation short like the explanation.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll do as best as I can, but I have to be fair here. I've made it very clear that any dollar you pay a player shows up on your cap at some point. So let's just do the real math of what the Chiefs are doing with Chris Jones. First, let me give Chris some credit here. This is a great bet on yourself. Example, last year, the reason Chris held out was the Chiefs offered him a two year extension, so that would be for next season in the year after at fifty eight million dollars fully guaranteed. He wanted, so that's twenty nine million a year. He wanted thirty two million a year because he wanted to be the highest paid detac lever Aaron Donald's at thirty one point seven right, So he wanted two for sixty four, fully guaranteed. The Chiefs offered two for fifty seven, fully guaranteed. They did not come to an agreement. He held out week one. He now, I know it's being reported as five for one sixty. It's not that. I mean it is that, but it's not that. What this is is three years, ninety six million fully guaranteed, really ninety five million. But for simplicity, the math call it ninety six. So Chris initially wanted two for sixty four fully guaranteed. When you have the type of playoff run he did, the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, all of a sudden, you get that plus another year. So Chris bet on himself and won, and the Chiefs won as well because you got a motivated ass kicking Chris Jones. So the chief the contract. The Chiefs just signed Chris Jones. So you have to look at like this. He is on the team for the next three years with every dollar fully guaranteed ninety five million, and then each of the final two years are essentially team options. They could cut him after your three or after year four. So the cap part of it. On this year's cap, he's gonna count for seven million bucks. But like I told you, he accounts for ninety five million dollars of cash money received over the next three years. So what that means is over the next two years plus a third or fourth year, if they end up cutting him after this year, you've got to account for eighty eight million dollars on your cap. That's what That's what this means. So Chris Jones is gonna be seven million on this year's cap, ninety five minus seven is eighty eight million. He will probably be twenty five million on next year's cap. That's a big number. Eighty eight minus twenty five is sixty three million. He will probably be twenty five million on the following year's cap. I say, eighty eight minus twenty five is sixty three pardon me, sixty three minus twenty five is third thirty eight million, right. He then will have if you were to move on after three years thirty eight million dollars of dead money associated with this contract, you'd probably chop that up into two years twenty million, one year, eighteen million the next year. So this is not typically how the Chiefs have done business, and that's why I brought up going for being the greatest team ever. This bill will come do at some point, and there will be a year, probably twenty four, twenty twenty seven, or twenty twenty eight, when the Chiefs are not able to sign one really good player in free agency because they are dealing with the Chris Jones dead cap charge. That is worth it for this team under this circumstance, and it's worth it because Chris the dead gap charge won't apply if Chris continues to play at this level into his thirties, so it's not the most fiscally prudent move, but he's such a great player and they're going for such a historic accomplishment. I'm glad they did it. Did I do that quickly enough for you? De Monse?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, that was relatively speedy.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 3: The trying to be great thing though, like the players when they want to become the highest paid players, like, you know, of their respective positions. Ever, I kind of get when you're not running for like three peat, super Bowl and I get like, you know, I'm glad he got his money and all that, but like it's the type of situation like wouldn't you want to like, oh, I don't want to be he could have taken two million less or three million less whatever. I just think it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of like, you know, I get that.
Speaker 3: Oh, and it's the difference between thirty one and thirty three million.
Speaker 2: So I think a lot of people feel that way. I get that. And Mahomes didn't max out, and Kelsey obviously has not maxed out. Defensive Chris Jones twofold one is the position Chris plays is such a brutal position. Physically, Yeah, that there is an element of uh wear and tear that obviously Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Doesn't happen to sacrificing your body.
Speaker 2: Sacrificing your body, you know, even by football player standards very high. Also, Chris is never going to make the off the field money, Certainly that Mahomes is, and certainly that Travis is. Right, neither was Tyreek, which is why Tyreek prioritized money and ended up going to Miami. Right, So there's that part of it. The other part of it is this, sometimes you are considered in the media and in the public eye and historically a greater player if you set contract records like I know that sounds weird, but forever it has been considered of this era of defensive tackles, there's Aaron Donald, then there's everybody else, and it is still that. But now Chris can say, well, Aaron's got Defensive Players of the Year. I don't, but I've got, you know, three more amazing playoff runs than Aaron does. In the marketplace, I was considered as good. I broke his contract record, you know, So that's like sneaky, kind of like part of a Hall of fame case and Chris also, I think, and this is where I'm kind of on your side, but not entirely. You gotta keep this in mind, Chris. This is agents, those two guys who were sitting next to him when he held out for the Lions game, the Cats Brothers, the entire list of their A list or B list or C list NFL clients, every client they have in the NFL that is either an all pro Hall of Famer like Chris Jones, or just a pro bowler or just a solid starter. I've got to pull it up or read you all their names. Oh, I have it right here, Chris Jones.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: So for those agents being able to say we got our guy the biggest contract ever is super important for them because they need more clients. And so I think last offseason, under different circumstances, with different agents, he probably would have accepted the Chiefs deal. But to those to those agents credit, they didn't. They played hardball and they got a better deal than they were even asking for last year. And so yeah, they listen in in two years. This this the I look at it like this, and then we can move on. Christian Wilkins. Okay, let me. Let me pull up hold on Brandon Matabukes contract and then Christian Wilkins contract. So, and I'll explain this in a second. So Mattabuque or I said, Brandon, Justin Mattabuque, pardon me. He got four years for ninety eight with seventy million guaranteed. So Chris is making thirty two million a year. This guy who was the second or third best D tackle available is making twenty four million a year. Okay, Christian Wilkins got let me get this exactly right. He got four for one ten from the Raiders with eighty five million guaranteed, So he got twin what's the math on that? Twenty six right? No, twenty seven and a half million dollars a year. So this is an anchoring thing that you got to do the math in your brain on. But if the going rate for the second and third best D tackles available was call it, twenty six million a season, then the question is, if you want to have a great player at that position, is Chris Jones worth one six million dollars a year player more than Christian Wilkins or Justin Madabuke. Is you're the what I mean you're not getting a great d tackle evidently for less than twenty five million a year thereabouts is a thirty two. So the the golf there is seven million. So what type of player goes for seven million bucks? Kendrick Bourne, he just signed like three for eighteen that's six million year. So is Chris Jones enough better than Christian Wilkins or Justin Madebuke to justify the fact that you now can't sign a player of Kendrick Bourne's caliber, You bet your ass he is. Absolutely So, unless you were just gonna go naked at d tackle, I'm gonna sign a league minimum guy and draft somebody if you wanted an established difference maker. Getting in the room cost you in the mid twenties. So that delta is what you're focused on. He's worth that delta. All right? Uh So, you you had said that you were proud of me for being fast on the cap stuff. Then you asked to follow up question and I did another five minutes. Older contracts, Well, I mean those contracts got signed in the last week. All right. Let's move on to the other news.
Speaker 3: All right, So one of the bigger fish and free agency, Kirk Cousins, the Atlanta Falcons obviously wants to go pick him up. Yeah, he's thirty six years old and he's coming off of a torn Achilles brothers. Uh, do you think the Falcons potentially botched this trade.
Speaker 2: Or the signing? Uh? I don't listen. I understand why. I understand why they did it. I thought the upside of Justin Fields, who evidently can be got for pennies on the dollar now, would have been interesting for them. They Raheem Morris said, you know what I want, stability at the quarterback position. And for Raheem, I don't blame him for that. Keep in mind, Raheem Morris has been the head head coach UH once in his career, and it was the Tampa Bay Bucks in O nine to twenty ten to twenty eleven, and those years the Tampa Bay Bucks at quarterback had Josh Freeman. It never got off the ground for him and he lost his job and he's spent a decade trying to get back to being a head coach. So what he said is I am not going to have this my second and what will be my last chance. If it doesn't go well, go poorly because we have a non playable character at quarterback. Right, So I'm just gonna pay for the stability of Cousins, hope and pray the Achilles is fine. And they have spent a top ten pick on Kyle Pitt's, a top ten pick on Drake London, a top ten pick on Bjean Robinson. They have an excellent, excellent offensive line with league average quarterbacking, they should have a top ten offense given the talent. So I understand that piece of it, and the Falcons are now interesting. Do you want to say something demonsday before I go on, because no, I was angle to this.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, Yeah, I mean anything, it's gonna it was a Desmond Ritter was their quarterback last year. Yesh, Yeah, I mean he think's gonna be better than that. But I go ahead with it.
Speaker 2: And no, And so they could draft a quarterback, they could have traded for fields. There's things they could do. They want the certainty of Cousins, So I get it. Do I think their Super Bowl team?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do I think they could be interesting if Cousins is healthy. Yes, but that's not actually what my personal takeaway on this is. My takeaway is a different one, which is that Kirk Cousins is going to end his career as one of the five highest paid players in NFL history, and that is because Kirk Cousins, in a way, really only Dak Prescott also has played the franchise tag game and was not afraid of it. So Kirk Cousins got drafted by Washington. There was a whole RG three thing way back in the day. They didn't know if they wanted to sign him to an extension. They franchised him. He didn't take a below market deal. It's like, no franchise me. They then franchised him a second time, and that's really all you can do. Technically, you have a third franchise tag available to you, but no one's ever used it. It's way too expensive. So once Kirk got franchise tag twice, he knew that every single time my contract is up, I will be a free agent, able to go anywhere in a marketplace where no quarterbacks are ever free agents. And so because of that, since post rookie deal, here are the contracts. Kirk Cousins has signed. A twenty million dollar, fully guaranteed one year franchise tag, a twenty four million dollar fully guaranteed one year franchise tag, an eighty four million dollar fully guaranteed three year deal with the Vikings, a sixty six million dollar fully guaranteed two year deal with the Vikings, a thirty five million dollar fully guaranteed one year extension with the Vikings, and now a four year, one hundred and eighty million dollar, one hundred million guaranteed deal with Atlanta. Kirk Cousins is good, but not great, thirty six years old, coming off in Achilles and still got the same amount per year forty five million that Patrick Mahomes makes. The reason I say all of that is to make this point. If you are a franchise quarterback that feels the wrong team drafted you and they don't know what they're doing, and I do not think my guy Trevor is going to do this, but it is. That is the type of situation that I am talking about. You should not be afraid to say, I am not signing your contract extension. I will play out my rookie deal, I will let you franchise tag me twice, and then I am hitting the open market and then I am just signing short, fully guaranteed deals. If your goal is not stability, not even necessarily, you know, the best career possible if your goal is purely maxing out earnings. Kirk Cousins has laid the blueprint because he's never been great, he's never had postseason success, and he still makes all time legendary money, including an off season where he popped his achilles and is going to be thirty six years old. There was still a team willing to say one hundred million guaranteed forty five million a year. So it is a path no other quarterback has ever taken. But I wonder if there might be one that says, you know what, I'm gonna be great no matter what. I don't need the locked in security of this contract extension. I'll play for whoever drafts me for seven years and then I will have maximum leverage after that. It's just an interesting idea.
Speaker 3: All right, next us, Baker is gonna be staying in Tampa. So he's also had a crazy I guess a couple of years. So he went to basically being bounced out of the league and now he's a one hundred million dollar quarterback. What do you think is more impressive Baker Mayfield still being in the league or you rooting for him the whole time, still having faith. You never backed out of her Baker's.
Speaker 2: Scid I don't wanna, Yeah, I mean, I don't want to make this about me, But I did always believe in Baker. That is true, and I thought what the Browns did was ludicrous and the Browns are going to pay that bill for years and years to come. Uh So, I do think that that is a a intriguing, you know, kind of what if if the Browns just held the line and kept building up that defense and recognized that the thing went sideways on Baker for two reasons. One is he tore his labram and played through it, and the other is Odell's dad shared an Instagram video that made him look bad. Those are the two key moments of Baker's Brown's tenure. Playing through an injury and the father of one of the players on your team trashing him. That's what. And then he goes to Carolina. Carolina is a total mess. More on them in a bit and whatever. So I do think Baker going from four million bucks a year to fifty million guaranteed is spectacular and I'm happy for now. Listen, Baker is always going to be somewhat limited. And I know you hate when I say this demand but because of his height, and that is a problem. Like he has a great he has a strong arm, but he is six feet tall. So seeing over the offensive lineman, being able to see the middle of the field, some of that stuff is going to put a ceiling on it. Also, I think in his head he's a little faster than he actually is. Baker tries a lot of the stuff Mahomes does when it's like, oh, this play's breaking down. I'm just fast enough to get past that pursuing rusher and get upfield. Except he's not, and he's always caught. It's like he hasn't yet figured out that he's not quite fast enough to do that. So I'm not acting like Baker is a top five or a top eight or even a top ten quarterback. What he is is beloved in the locker room, a true leader, I think, more than serviceable, and an unbelievable stat that did I favorite this tweet? Let me see if I did. If I didn't favorite it, maybe I sent it to myself. Hold on this do I uh that's not it? Okay, let me see if I have it. There is an unbelievable playoff quarterback stat that I saw yesterday. Hear it is past five years playoff most playoff This from Ian Harritt's most playoff games with three or more passing touchdowns playoff games with three or more passing touchdowns in the past five years. Who do you think has the most demnse is not a trick question. This one should be obvious. The most three touchdown or more playoff games. Patrick Mahomes he has seven. Yep, second most. Again not a trick question. It might be who you would guess? Do you have a guess.
Speaker 3: Three touchdown playoff He's not in the league. It's not Tom Brady, is it?
Speaker 2: No? Tom Brady has two, and Tom Brady and Dak Prescott both have two three plus touchdown games in the last five years in the playoffs. Joe Burrow had has never done it once in his career. Joe Burrow's playoff stuff is if you dive into it, it's a little overrated. Josh Josh Yep, Josh Allen has four, So my homes has seven. Josh Allen has four, Brady and Dak have two. You know who's sandwich right in between them with three? The Bake show. Baker mayfield three excellent playoff games. Baker playoff game with Cleveland against Pittsburgh and then twice this year, the one against Philly and then the one against Detroit that they ended up losing. He threw the pick at the end. So you know a guy who rises to the postseason occasion.
Speaker 3: His teammates who Mac Jones?
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that, not in the playoffs, But I didn't know that. Guys. Yeah, here are so just there's only the full list of guys with three touchdown playoff games in the last five seasons. The following people have one of these games, Big Ben out of the league, Aaron Rodgers, Stafford, your guy, Brock Berdy, my guy, Trevor Lawrence, your my guy, c J. Stroud, and your guy Jordan Love. That's the one that's the guys with one three touchdown playoff games. Brady and Dak have two, Baker has three, Josh Allen has four, and Mahomes has seven. So I like it for Baker. I'm happy for Baker. Uh all right, you want to follow up question here before we get to Russ. Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the NFC South has three quarterbacks making over one hundred million dollars and two number one overall picks. But when you look at these teams, it doesn't even seem like they'll ever compete for a super Bowl. I don't want to say ever, but like the next two to three year.
Speaker 2: This year, yeah, I mean, listen, everything would have to fall perfectly for Atlanta Tampa. I like Tampa. They're not a super Bowl contender. Carolina is a disaster. In New Orleans is just locked into slightly blowed in mediocrity. So Atlanta is the only one. Uh and I don't see I think for them going eleven and six and making the Divisional round would be a great year. I don't think super bowls are real possibility at all. All right, let's go on to Russ.
Speaker 3: All right, so Russell Wilson is on the Steelers. Some folks might not. Some folks seem to think this trade means nothing. Yeah, what do you think this trade means? How do you how do you feel about Russell to Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: All right? Just one note, I just probably the I could do this off the airporte.
Speaker 3: It's not a trade. It's not a trade, it's free agency. He was picked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, you're calling all these There have been a few trades, but most of these are free agency signings. I know what you mean. Listen here. So for a million bucks, certainly worth a flyer. Kenny Pickett and his tiny, tiny hands are never gonna be an NFL starting level quarterback, so you need an upgrade there. I get that, But the level of excitement surrounding Russ is baffling to me and I end up being this bad guy on TV when I feel like I'm just the only honest one, like Greg Jennings yesterday, and I'm not taking a shot at Greg. Greg's great. Greg was like, you know, I don't you know, I don't know about Russ or the jury's still out, and I'm like, no, you do know. The answer is he's not good anymore. He's not good anymore. Now is he better than Kenny Pickett? Probably? Is he? Why not?
Speaker 3: I'm not ready to write them why not? So you're saying that he's washed and it's not working anymore. I do think that the Bronco Sean Payton situation, it took a little bit to jail. I don't think it ever jailed, but they threw a new quarterback in there the year before, and then they threw in a new coach the following year. So it's like, I think if he goes and plays with Mike Tomlin, they just won I think it was it ten or eleven games last year, which just that defense, their offense sucks, is dormant. So it's like, I don't I think that. I think Russ has a shot, Like, I think he has a decent shot at winning a playoff game. I know that game he wants. Yeah, he wants to win two Super Bowls in the next I think it was like five years.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's setting the bar too high. Guys. Pete Carroll look to the situation, said, hmmm, I theoretically, of a franchise quarterback in his prime, we're fine trading him. The Broncos got him. Ntt Hackett had him for week one of game one after seeing Russ in training camp, preseason and through that game. Where did it start to go wrong for nat Hackett when he had him kick that field goal in week one of Game one against Seattle instead of letting Russ go for it on fourth and five. Now, I'm not saying nat Hackett's a genius. I don't think that. What I am saying is Nat Hackett, after being around Russ all off season, all training camp, all preseason, and through that game, was like, hmm, what do we have a better chance at our kicker making the longest kick of his life or Russ picking up five yards sending the kicker. He then got fired because he got fired because he couldn't make Russ work. So they bring in Sean Payton to fix Russ and a year less than a year in Sean Payton's like your bench, gimme siddle the idea that all of these guys have been wrong and there is something to unlocked with Russell Wilson. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. I doubt it, though, because I chant asked right about Russ for three years. Okay, fine, was Sean Payton wrong? They're they're talking. Did you see demons who the Broncos are talking about bringing into play quarterback? Did you see it? No?
Speaker 3: Is it Jimmy g.
Speaker 2: Oh? No, Let's go worse.
Speaker 3: Let's go worse. Who is the worst.
Speaker 2: The go to name for disaster story Wilson in the last couple, Zach Wilson. That is correct, That is correct. They might bring in Zach Wilson. They paid Ross eighty five million to go away because they were so afraid of another thirty five million vesting in his guarantees. Okay, that's Pittsburgh and Ross.
Speaker 3: All right, well, I think that's then when you have to evaluate the people that are making those moves. But hey, I don't know.
Speaker 2: At some point, okay, listen, I know you're fine. A lot of people agree with you. This is one of those things where demands I actually agree that you don't know what you're talking about. But everyone who do know what they're talking about agrees with you and not me, And it drives me crazy that you're and I and so we'll just see what happens. But no, for a million boxes at worth a flyer. Yes, for folks that think, oh this, Steelers just got demonstrably better, disagree, I just I disagree with that. We'll see, but I disagree with it. All right. Demand is gonna watch go ahead, No.
Speaker 3: You go, Yeah, I'm gonna no, I was gonna tease the that was no you continue, I'm gonna watch the kN his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just ken. Oh look at that. That is a great photoshop down on the fly of me as Ryan Gosling. All right, demand's gonna watch I'm just Ken, and I'm gonna talk about Brian Burns trade and then we're gonna play a game. We'll do it all next. What's Right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Right, a little breaking news Jamis instant to the Cleveland Browns. I actually like that move for Jamis. Demanse's looking at Demonse. Don't take your ear piece out and just watch I'm just kin. Please don't focus on me. I want you to watch it and see Gosling's performance at the Oscars and then chime in with it. But that is a nice move by Cleveland, a nice little insurance policy for Deshaun Watson. So Demanse's gonna join us back in a moment, but he's doing He's watching I'm just Ken from the Oscars. In the meantime, I vetoed the producers who wanted to talk something Luca related, because I want to talk about Brian Burns being added to the Giants. And the reason I did is because the Carolina Panthers might need an intervention. So shout out to the Giants for getting an a you know, a fringe elite pass rusher in the middle of his prime for just a second and a fifth. That is a great job by them for Carolina to have been And I know that this has been a lot of people have pointed this out, but I just had to spend a moment on it. They were offered by the Rams a year ago, two firsts and a second for Brian Burns. To turn it down because you wanted one more year of Burns, not value him enough to re sign him and then sign him to a I'm then trade him for a second and a fifth is some of the worst asset management in recent NFL history. I don't know why Carolina wouldn't just resign him. I guess they needed one hundred and fifty million. They spent on two guards, which I understand, wanting to be strong up the middle when you have a tiny quarterback. I get that, But you don't have enough quality players to move away from a home grown star at a critical position. And if you're going to do that, to do that and only get back a second and a fifth round pick, it once again is a reminder that right now the Carolina Panthers are as poorly of a run and managed team in the NFL demonse, Have you finished watching I'm you know, I'm just ken right, Yeah, I'm just kidding. Did you finish watching it?
Speaker 3: I finished watching it?
Speaker 2: Your thoughts?
Speaker 3: I gotta say it was cool, but I caught myself shutting my laptop after the video was over. But I forgot we have a podcast to do.
Speaker 2: Oh it was That's the problem? Uh? Did did? So you weren't as moved by it as I and the rest of the inn I do. I liked. I liked.
Speaker 3: I like how he interacted with the fans, and like how he that guy with the guitar. Is he from Kiss the like the guy with the curly hair.
Speaker 2: Slash from Guns and Roses? You're talking about the cot start Yeah, okay, the coast star in the movie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't even call them fans, but yeah I did. I do think that. But I'm not a big concert guy. I gotta say like performances and stuff like I've never been either.
Speaker 2: But he's not a musician. He's an actor. And that was the Oscars. I mean that's and so have you seen Barbie the movie? Uh?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Barbie or Roben Armer.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right homework for you, Uh, watch those before our next pod, so you have a week because because by the way, a little for the audience, no pod Thursday because I'm speaking at a conference. Instead, we're gonna do a pod Friday with some special guests from the conference. So demanday gets the the time you'd normally spend prepping for the and doing the pod. Watch Barbie and watch Oppenheimer, and in fact watch them in the same day, back to back, just like some people did in the theaters. It's about three It's worthwhile, though Openheimer is a little confusing some time jumps. Maybe brush up on the Oppenheimer or Manhattan Project Wikipedia page beforehand, just so you have a good working knowledge. The Barbie movie pretty easy to follow straight forward and revisit next weekend or next week on the show. I h I have. I watched The Holdovers the other day after being asked about it on the What Oscar Movies I'd seen. I really like The Holdovers and I've seen, as I said, last week, Killers of the Flower Moon, which was awesome. But your homework is just Barbie and Oppenheimer. H Dune two I have not yet seen. I want to, but I'm gonna that's gonna take some time for me to be able to get to theaters to see it.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 2: Right, demanse, let's go all in fold.
Speaker 3: Oh you finished the Bryan Burns before the route, before gossip was over.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah he did it quick. Yeah, let's do all.
Speaker 3: We're doing all in our fold today. So, uh, the Jaguars made a blockbuster trade for a Firmer, former first round franchise quarterback in we don't even pretend it's there's a quarterback controversy. You think that they're you think the Trevor's in line for a record extension, but it seems that they can't come to an agreement. Is this Uh? Is this Trevor? Is this Jacksonville all inner fold? Trevor once out of Jacksonville?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Trevor maybe should one out of Jacksonville, but he I'll fold this. He's definitely. That's They're the reason he hasn't signed the extension is because that's not when these extensions get signed. The guys who are done with their third year who get extensions don't get it pre free agency. They get it. The guys in No one in Trevor's draft class has signed their extension, yet they will then get They will get it sometime in the summer. And so the Mac Jones thing, we really and I hope Wilds in the first things, first offices can hear this. And in fact, Dusty and crew watching in the conference room, if you guys could temporarily just turn the TV way way up so Wilds can hear it in his office, I'll give you a moment to go ahead and do that. Okay, I assume it's done. On the TV show yesterday, we made a fool of ourselves because Wilds decided instead of just folding his all time losing hand of Mac Jones being any good at all, he decided to turn the Jags trading one hundred and ninety second pick for a backup quarterback into an alleged quarterback controversy. I tried to talk him out of it before, during, and now after the show. He refused. And so now it's just going to for some reason, prolong my dear random partner and colleague Kevin Wilde's public humiliation about Mac Jones to where when Trevor gets a quarter of a billion dollars and Mac is you know, on the final year of an expiring contract on the rookie wage scale. These takes, I mean, they exist on the internet. And listen, I'm not a big you know, send clips to awful announcing. Certainly not clips of my colleague. But I might make an exception because it was such a bad take. Trevor, Listen, I would prefer you can turn it down now, Dust, I would prefer that Trevor play somewhere. I don't want to say I don't love the Jags front office. I don't love Balky, but he's gonna get a quarter of a billion dollars. He's gonna get the same deal justin Herbert got, and they're gonna you know, they they signed Gabe Davis, They did some things. They tried to upgrade the team.
Speaker 3: All right, next, all right, So the twenty twenty one quarterback class is supposed to be an all timer. So we got three quarterbacks went in the top three. Then Fields and Mac also went in Round one. Only Trevor is the starter today. Obviously, will this year's draft be the same? All interfold drafting quarterbacks equals playing the lottery.
Speaker 2: I fold that because nothing is a sure thing. But you can look at the history and the data, certain things are Number one overall pick at quarterback has a hit rate well over fifty percent. First round pick at quarterback we're talking about the last twenty years, has a hit rate of over thirty percent. You know, mid round picket quarterback it plummets to a hit rate at like less than ten percent, and late round picket quarterback has a hit rate of one person Tom Brady and a second person brock Party if you want to include him in that. So I think yes, it's go ahead.
Speaker 3: Do you think the fifty percent is pretty low for the first pick of the draft or over fifty percent?
Speaker 2: Just I mean how so? I mean NFL Draft. Let's just go over the uh quarterbacks taken number one and we can we can see it. So last year it looks like Bryce was flatly the wrong pick. CJ was there, he ended up going to but throw Bryce out. Trevor went number one in twenty twenty one. Say what you want about Trevor, He's clearly was the right pick between him, Zach, Trey, Justin and Mack, and I think he's gonna be excellent. Joe Burrow went number one in twenty twenty. Kyler went number one in twenty nineteen. I think the jury is still out on Kyler as far as he gonna be great, But Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins were the other first round picks. He was clearly the right one. Twenty eighteen, Baker went number one. Baker was you know, up and down in Cleveland. Josh Allen and Lamar were later in the draft, so that obviously they got the wrong quarterback. But Baker wasn't a total nothing of a quarterback the Browns. It just went bad for him there. Twenty sixteen, it was Jared Goff got to a Super Bowl, they moved on from him. He's good now again, but he was clearly the right pick because the other quarterbacks were Carson Wentzon, Paxton Lynch. Twenty fifteen, it was Jamis Jamis. It didn't work out, but again the second pick. The only other first round pick was Marcus Mariota worked out worse for him if we keep going. Andrew Luck was the first pick overall in twenty twelve. He was excellent short career. Cam Newton was the first overall pick in twenty eleven, obviously the right pick, and he was excellent. Sam Bradford in twenty ten. He was fine. The only other first round quarterback was Tim Tebow Stafford in two thousand and nine. Excellent, Matt r No, Matt Ryan wasn't number one overall, JaMarcus in seven total disaster right and then Alex Smith in two thousand and five. Aaron Rodgers went later in the draft. You got the wrong guy, and so and Eli Manning in four. That's a big debate. Eli, Philip Rivers or Big Ben different. You know, Eli won two Super Bowls. I think the other two guys were probably better. Carson Palmer and O three was first overall pick, clearly the right guy. VIC and O one So David Carr in two thousand and two didn't work out. So here's my point. My point is, yes, they're lottery tickets, but drafting one one, you're buying a lottery ticket that had as a seventy percent chance of hitting. Drafting elsewhere in the top ten. You're using a lottery ticke that has a ticket that has like a fifty percent chance of hitting. Drafting outside of the top ten, But in the first round it's a lottery ticket that has like a twenty five percent chance of hitting. Drafting in rounds two three, four, it's a lottery ticket that has like a five to ten percent chance of hitting, and drafting rounds five, six, seven, it's a lottery ticket that has like a one percent chance of hitting. So yes, they're lottery tickets, but they have obvious different values on them. Uh, to get back to oh so I, this year's first round has five first round quarterbacks. It probably will mean there is one one or two stars, one fine player, and one or two total washouts. That's usually about the history of these draft classes. With a bunch of guys in the first round at quarterback. All right, we gotta go fast now next.
Speaker 3: All right, So Saquan is headed to Philly to help them out with the tush push all interfold. Saquon fixes Philly's offense.
Speaker 2: Philly spending this money on Saquon is such a misuse of resources. It's just so crazy. Philly fell apart last year because their defense was terrible. Who signing the most expensive running back on the market. It's just bad business. It is it is your friend who uh has a car that breaks down all the time because it needs a new transmission, And you see him and all of a sudden, he has brand new rims on it. He's like, look at that. It's like, yeah, man, but that's I mean, it looks cool, but that and those are nice and Saquan's a good player, But that's not That's not what was killing you last year.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, are you after saying you wouldn't pay a running back outside of Christian McCaffrey, a thousand teams signed the running back on day one? All in her fold you were wrong on running backs.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not unfolding. Obviously, I'm not wrong on running backs aside from Saquon. Did you see how much money any of these guys got. None of I think the highest million bucks?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I'm not arguing you don't need a running back. I'm arguing you don't pay big money, big money for a running back. So Josh Jacobs on a bunch of one year deals at eight million a year, or DeAndre Swift, I get it now. Again, I don't even know if that's the best allocation of resources, but I understand it.
Speaker 3: So no, I'm not mixing to the Texans guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, that so listen, there had been a report that Joe Mixon was released. Evidently he's not been released and said he's been traded to the Texans. I assume for a late late round pick, because they were going to they were going to release him, all right, next.
Speaker 3: All right. After being hit with the franchise tag, T Higgins requested a trade from the Bengals since he is the only team without Brady that has ever beat Mahomes when it matters all in her fold, Cincinnati, Cincinnati remains the top threat to Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I mean the Burrow's health is a concern and Higgins demanding a trade. Hey, listen, I told you a year ago they should have traded T Higgins when his value was at its peak, taking their medicine, gotten a first round pick. You're not gonna pay Burrow top of the market, Chase top market, and another receiver top of the market. You're just not going to. Cincinnati should be respected. Cincinnati's good. I don't know that they're the top threat anymore because I think at this point the only threat to the Chiefs is history.
Speaker 3: Next, the Bill's got it their team and lost Gabe Davis to free agency. Seems like all they have left is Alan and a guy who doesn't want to be there and Stefan Diggs all in her fold Stefan Diggs will be the next one to leave.
Speaker 2: No, I'm folding. They're definitely bringing him back. It's cap wise, is almost impossible move on from him. Also, in Stefan's defense, he really even though they didn't use him that much, is his production went down as targets went down. He didn't cause any distractions or problem at the end of the year when they were winning. And so I give Stefan credit. I think this will probably be his last year with Buffalo, but I think he'll be in Buffalo. All right, we'll do listener questions next. We're not gonna get to the Lakers. We're doing an all NFL show. It just is what it is. We do some basketball later in the week or next week. What's Right? All right, welcome come back in What's Right with Nick right demonse. Let's read some listener questions. Let's start with Justin feine Gold's question if you.
Speaker 3: Would yes, he asked, no way we would get a one for Sneid Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to say no way. I think that I think the Lions at twenty nine are If I'm the Lions, I am having a meeting about do we want to offer the twenty ninth pick for Lagarius Snead, Do we want to offer the twenty ninth pick for T Higgins? Do we want to do neither and just a draft a player there. I think that the Lions at twenty nine could make a lot of sense as a Sneed destination. I know some people have had the Galaxy brain idea of what if the Chiefs and Bengals traded Higgins and Sneed for each other. The Bengals need secondary help. The problem is the Chiefs are not going to spend T Higgins money on the OA wide receiver, so like the they, the Chiefs would rather, in my opinion, have Sneed van Higgins. The only reason they won't have Sneed is because he's gonna be so expensive if you can't, I think the Lions at twenty nine are interesting. Buffalo at twenty eight makes a lot of sense, but the Chiefs are not gonna try to make Buffalo better and Sneid would fix a lot, you know, a lot of issues for them if you can't get the twenty ninth pick. The next team I would be talking to would be New England at thirty four, they have Christian Gonzales. Do they want to, all of a sudden have just an elite, elite secondary Arizona at thirty five? They drive Marvin Harrison at four and then use, you know, all of a sudden bolster their secondary. And I think it's in play that sneed just plays on the tag, all right. Go to Hugh's question, Demonse, is that.
Speaker 3: Paul McCartney from Van Halen.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that guy is doing what to you what people used to do to me, which is make fun of their lack of historical musical knowledge. Because you asked if Slash was from whatever group you asked he was from. Yes, guys, kiss Demonse grew up a in the twenty tens and b playing sports, not listening to old music. I grew up in the nineties listening to sports radio instead of listening to old music. I didn't instill some historical musical knowledge on him. You're not gonna bully him for it. Go to Tony Malcizon's question, No problem.
Speaker 3: I got that. Tony Magazon says, where will Dereck Henry go? Any idea? And producers asked Demons if he wants them for Baltimore. Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you want Derek Henry on Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'm not opposed to it. I mean it's I don't know what Derek Henry's asking for, but uh, I mean if we can get him for you know, something like.
Speaker 2: It's probably ten million bucks, we don't need maybe a little less that well and Baltimore, that thing is Baltimore. I agree with you. Baltimore's problem is not I can't run the ball. Now. I do think he might end up in Baltimore because the report was the other team interested in Henry, really interested was Houston. But Houston is now traded for Joe Mixon, So Derrick Henry and Baltimore might end up being.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've got to worry about Lamar Jackson running, and then you also have to worry about Derrick Henry. I guess they would be nice on like a pass or run pass ouption whatever you won't call it. But yeah, but the.
Speaker 2: Thing is is Baltimore just did this whole thing where they're gonna, uh use draft capital and free agency money on wide receivers. Lamar is gonna be a passer, he wins league, gonna be that way. Then the next offseason would be like, Okay, we're gonna sign Derrick Henry. I think it's probably going to happen, probably by the time the TV the show starts. I bet he signs with Baltimore. It doesn't to me make a ton of sense. All right, we gotta go. I gotta go do Colin, then do the TV show. Great job today, Demanse again, no show Thursday, bonus show instead on Friday. We'll see you guys. Then, what's right now? Hey, it's nicker right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demansey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers will help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And your audio listeners, people that have commute strives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out. Appreciate sho