Speaker 1: I feel one on one. You see a couple of them in my taste with ye and my lemonade, because I let the way it taste best cease at the pirates, get it, Let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see is alloyers in my date? To my dates? Or to stick by the plate? Send the case, pet the case from my race at my pace Cleared grass that.
Speaker 2: Is Snakes, Episode three ninety one of Bucco Banter Live at Brave Bean Coffee Company down here on the North Shore, right outside of panc Park. Underneath the garage you can park your car, get caffeinated, and then hop over to panc Park to hopefully watch the Buckos finally win a game in their first homestand back from the All Star Break. I wish we had more to talk about today, I really do, because what a frustrating series it has been coming back from the All Star break and what we deemed one of the most important series in recent memory, definitely the past ten years, maybe since twenty thirteen, where you come back, you have a playoff spot and then a division rival comes to town and you just don't show up, and the offense has been stale. The pitching has looked good as of recently. Paul Skeins looked good for the most part last night. The bullpen still has the same issues. We bring in Ron Marinaccio, which we'll have an interview with him coming up this week on Bench Banter. But really disappointing showing all around. I think you know, we could point to decisions made the offense the bullpen. The offense hasn't scored a run in three games. In three games, debo, it's been New York. They got shut out in game two. You come back here, you don't score a run, and then yesterday or you scored what two runs and then yesterday eleven to nothing. So you scored two runs in the last three games.
Speaker 3: That's bad.
Speaker 2: And I'm not really inclined to blame too much on the offense right now because of how much they've carried this team throughout the year. It's men mostly offense. The pitching staff. At least the starters have been decent. Obviously we want more out of them. I think you're still gonna get decent starts from these guys. Mitch Keller had a good outing in New York. That's promising, especially going after the All Star break when his career has really been the inverse as of lately, Paul Skins has looked better, Braxton didn't have a great start after the All Star break, Bubba has looked really good. The offense has to get going now. Offenses are gonna go through slups. That's just the nature of the game. It's hard to hit a baseball, it really is. You're never no matter who you are, best offense in the league or not, You're never gonna go a whole season where everybody is just on and everybody is producing. You're gonna go through this time. And this is where Brandon Law goes through his time right now. Apparently, Okay, this is where Brian Reynolds is starting to struggle a little bit as Maryland Daldez is starting to get figured out. He's still having some really good at bats, but teams are starting to figure out how to pitch him a little bit. That's just the nature of playing baseball. So we're gonna talk about it. We're gonna have a discussion here at Brave Bean Coffee Company. As you might notice, I'm riding solo today. We don't have any gym stam here, we don't have Scott Moore here. Uh, it's just gonna be myself and deboat behind the camera and I'm gonna try and weather the storm because it's been rough coming back here. Ends are palooz a weekend. You got sold out crowds on back to back days. You probably have a big crowd today as well with another giveaway. We've had a good time at the park, getting to know some people, walking around, doing some trivia, asking some questions. But you could tell people are here for more than just the giveaways this weekend. You could tell people are here not just because the yans are pollosive, because meaningful baseball is being played. And we've talked about this year and year again about all we're asking for is meaningful baseball at this time of the year. That's all we want the games to matter. We don't want to walk around the park and you know, we're having a good time, but the baseball in the field is just eh, it doesn't matter what happens now it matters, and when it matters most, and the crowd is sold out and everybody's bumping, you kind of flop, I mean not kind of you do flop, and that's a problem. And the problem is also, you know we're making moves up until August third. You bring in raw Maranachio to try and get rid of Dennis Santana. Addition by subtraction, Really, Maronachio hasn't had a great year. I think the Pirates believe in some of the characteristics in the Cutter. They like the change up to lefties, but it's not going to be the solution to all of their problems. They obviously need to make more of a move going into August third, but you also can not give this front office an excuse not to make those moves up until August third. They lose, say they get swept, all right, you're still in it. You go back your one game above five hundred right now, you go back to five hundred if you lose today. Hopefully that's not the case and you can kind of salvage the series a little bit. Arguably the more important series right now is Arizona, who comes to town tomorrow. Arizona's right there with you in the NL Wildcard race. The Cubs are way ahead of you right now. That's just the nature of it. They got it okay, But the d Backs are kind of in the same situation you are. If you're not able to write this ship right now, if you're not able to figure something out with the offense and produce some runs and really grind out some wins right here, it's gonna be tough for this front office to look at the current situation and say we're gonna go out and spend big. We're gonna go out and make a meeting move that's really gonna change the tides of the twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to be dooming the loom right now. I'm really not.
Speaker 2: It's just a nature of the circumstances that we put ourselves in. But the reality is every game matters right now. We're not playing for tomorrow. We're not scratching yesterday and saying, oh, well that happened. It matters, and I'm happy I get to say that it does matter.
Speaker 3: How much, well, of course it matters.
Speaker 4: How much writing of the shift do you think getting Spenced back and getting O'Neill cruiz back will do.
Speaker 2: I think that definitely helps, because this lineup needs a shake up, and they've done fine without those guys. Obviously, I'd rather have Cruise, Connor Spencer in the lineup, even Endy, right, just because those guys are good.
Speaker 3: They've had really good years.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you get a lot of slug back there, you get a lot of on base percentage with Spencer. Yeah, options at the top of the lineup, another couple more lefty bats. Spencer got hit in the head last night, which is not great, so he's currently being evaluated. He needed to hit a home run, so he's looked good. But hopefully that's nothing more than just a little bit of a boo boo and they can move by it, past it, and he is getting re evaluated. He's playing in Triple A tonight, getting reevaluated tomorrow in Pittsburgh, and then they'll go from there. But yeah, I think that helps a ton because this lineup just needs a little bit of a shake up right now. You haven't had much of you haven't had different lineups. Really, you have only so many options. With Jacob Gonzalez and Tyler Callahan coming off the bench. Marcelo Zun has probably played more than you wanted him to play. And guess what it's to say Marcelo's you know, I hate to say it, like the more he plays, the more you just see it's just not happening. The career's probably done there. It's a wash, okay. But the problem is, like I can't complain about that too much because you really haven't needed him this year. Like whatever, screw it, he hasn't playing, that's fine, They've been doing fine without him, But you're in a situation now where he has to play more often than not, and the options that you have to play with eventually you're gonna go stale. So yeah, I think adding those guys back eventually is gonna help. O'Neill is eligible to return to August eighth, I believe, and then hopefully Horwitz is fine, the hamstring is okay, and you get him back in this lineup. Then you give more options with Ryan o'hearne Dhing. You can give as Maryland a break in the outfield with him Dhing a little bit. You don't have to worry about Ozuna at all. Mangham can go back to being a fourth outfielder. Although I think Mangum has played really well defensively and he's provided sparks on the offensive.
Speaker 3: Side.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that was one of the early criticisms of the Ozuna move was it takes flexibility out of DH. But if you're not playing him there you can rotate through the DH opens up some time for Mangnhum to play as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the season's not over after all that.
Speaker 2: I gotta get it off much because nobody can sit here and disagree that the past two games have been disappointing. It has been. It is what it is. We got to win today. You got to win today. The Pirates just weren't gonna win yesterday. Showed to Imonaga debo. You know what the career stats against the Pirates and six starts are. You might have seen it because it's been going a bit viral on an interweb.
Speaker 4: I know Scott Scott talked about it for the last week, and I know that he just absolutely just serves crazily.
Speaker 2: And I'll give you major props if you can guess this, but I don't know if anybody can. So in six starts, he's thrown thirty eight innings, one earned run one. He has a point two four ERA against the Buckos. Do you know who that one earned run is? I'll give you this. It was a home run, and he is not on this team right now, give me Alexander Cano. So that's what I guessed yesterday. It wasn't Alexander Canario. That was my first guest because like, who is just the most obscure name that probably went deep because it was for him. It was either I'm going deeper, I'm striking out. Was Tommy Fam. Tommy Fam has showed it Imanagua's number. Other than that, the Buccos have not quite literally have not been able to touch a baseball for Shoda, he is the absolute crypt nite. You better not run into him later down the road because you just can't hit him.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The guy is good. He's good against everybody, but against the Pirates. Is he is Prime Pedro? He is Roger Clemens. He's not like he is the guy. That's the guy you're going to ten out of ten times if you're playing the Pirates at the North Shore or the North in Chicago, it's just gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: You have a chance against Jameson tay On, a guy who you've been able to hit. Okay, you still struggle. He has a good pitch mix, he's not gonna overpower you. But you gotta score runs today going into tomorrow, going into the Wolf game. And to talk about the dog days of summer debo, you're not scoring runs. It's getting hotter. I mean, the past couple of nights been a little bit cooler, but it's still it's it's hard to show up to work on some days.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 4: But think about this, Maybe the Wolf Game is exactly what the pirates need. Oh maybe maybe Monday, maybe tomorrow, And listen, I would love for great things to happen today. And if they do, think about the reinforcements coming on Monday.
Speaker 2: The reinforcements come beyond this team. Ladies and gentlemen. When we plan the Wolf Game, we pick an obscure day. It can't be a Saturday. That's cheap, that's cheating. Of course, people are going to be out there on a Saturday giveaway night. Of course, people are going to be there for a Friday firework night. Hell, even a Thursday, right, a Wednesday. Even you know who shows up to work ready to go as a baseball fan. Somebody who works a nine to five gets yelled at by their boss, is having a tough day. They gotta go home, eat a crappy meal for dinner, and then they throw on their best wolf shirt and they look in the mirror and they say oh. And then they drive down, they walk down, they bite down, they take the tee down to the north shore. They scan their ticket and they hop off to the rotunda and they howl with the boys. And you're part of a wolf pack. You're part of a gang who cares, and all jokes aside. It's all jokes aside. Right now, let's be serious. Let's put on our serious faces. The Wolf game is meaningful.
Speaker 4: Chase the Dodgers out of town last year, chase the Dodgers out of time.
Speaker 3: You might think this is a joke.
Speaker 2: You might think this is some sort of silly game that banters playing, that we've just formulated in order to have a good time for ourselves at the park.
Speaker 3: This is not for us. The Wolf game is for you. Look at me.
Speaker 2: The Wolf games for you. You show up and you how because you know what that does. It shows a sense of community. It shows a sense of belonging, that you are meant to be here, that the team is full of alphas, guys who are gonna stick together as a pack and be dominant. And I think all you know, again, all jokes aside, not joking. Look at me, am I am, I am, I laughing right now. Serious as a heart attack. Serious is a heart attack. You're gonna look down in that dugout. You might see some guys Allen, you might you might see some some wolf bears around the park. You might see some wolf flags. This is what's gonna turn the season around right now. And I can't stress enough how much this is not a joke. We need something, We need something. Baseball is a weird sport. People complain all the time, rightfully, so it's very reactionary on a day to day basis. Hell, this team could go on a teno rod and you're like, wow, this season's back on.
Speaker 4: Which And that's I was thinking about that the other day because I was talking about to some of my friends who are unfortunately Boston Red Sox fans. A month ago, they're like creater Boston a month ago, and now they're like, maybe this is the greatest team that's ever played the game.
Speaker 3: Right, how many they won fifteen games in a row?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they lost the fifteenth, So it's like fourteen in a row.
Speaker 3: Fifteen, yeah, somewhere around there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not saying the Pirates are gonna do that, but the baseball is a fickle sport.
Speaker 3: It is. It's again very reactionary.
Speaker 2: We could do a show every single day and talk about something different and something you know that could have gone one way or another, or you know a play that it takes one guy on the other team making a miss thrower or committing an air or one mistake in order to change a game around. And that's okay, that's baseball. But we can't just sit here and say seasons over. I see too much of that, man, too much of that. If you're gonna, if you're truly gonna be a baseball fan, and you're gonna sit here and you're gonna watch one hundred and sixty two games a year, you're gonna show up to sixty plus games like we do and actually watch the sport and say you're a baseball fan and say you're a Pirates fan. You can't do this. I mean, I'm talking out for you just mentally, emotionally, look at me. It's not good for your health. For you every single day to be like seasons, back on seasons, back off seasons, back on seasons, back off, sell the you know, sell the farm. It's not good. I'm telling you right now, just be bought in. Try it for a second. It's okay. Then in the same breath, it's okay to be disappointed. It's okay to say, hey, they crack the bed. Okay, they they need this, they need the bullpen. Things aren't going their way. But like, let's be real with ourselves. We haven't had this in a while. No matter the faults with the team, no matter the false the bullpen's bad, we know that. All right, things gotta change. Maronacchio didn't do well last night. Isaac didn't do well last night. You have Tyler Callahan pitching for the third time this season. Not good, not good in any situation. Things need to change. But you're still able to watch these games and say, hey, something could happen, right, Like, there's that alternate part of you where, yeah, maybe they lose it and you're pissed and you want to point the finger, but if they win, you still have that feeling inside of you that like, things could change. Right.
Speaker 5: Parts are about five hundred Yeah, parts are about five hundred right now, right, and you're you're were the bullpen has this season, you've been without CRU's long term, without Connor for long stance, Spence having a bit of a breakout, you lose him.
Speaker 4: Andy has been good, really good. But also you've lost Andy for a little bit as well. I mean, and I think I talked about this a couple episodes ago, but for every bad thing that's happened to corresponding good thing has kind of happened as well.
Speaker 3: Right, Braxton has been kind of a revelation you've seen.
Speaker 4: I mean, without that has just been great, hitting fifteen home runs in a month or something like that. And all of that being said, you get those guys back, you maybe figure out the bullpen. By the end of the month or by August.
Speaker 3: You're still about five hundred.
Speaker 2: You're still about five hundred. If you lose today, you're five hundred, and then you have another opportunity to come back to PNC Park on Monday on the Wolf game, put BTA to the d Backs and try and right the ship. Now, it's gonna be a grind like seventeen games in a row here, man, It's not gonna be easy. You go right to Cincinnati and you play four games, you play Thursday through Sunday.
Speaker 3: You don't get that that often. It's not gonna be easy.
Speaker 2: You're you're gonna have to figure out a way before August third.
Speaker 4: What's today's day debo? Today is Sunday, July twenty sixth Okay, you got about a week.
Speaker 2: To convince people that you're one or two moves away from really figuring it out, one or two moves and we all know what those one or two moves are.
Speaker 3: And I think you know it's it's not.
Speaker 2: The seller's market is gonna be tough because you just mentioned the Red Sox.
Speaker 3: They look like a great team now they might be buyers.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot of talk about them maybe going out and getting a shortstop. Okay, maybe going and getting a catcher. Shay Langeleier is gonna be out for the season. He was on trade talks a little bit. I know the A's would have to be blown away, but he's he's out of the equation now. A role to Chapman probably won't be moved if they're looking to compete. So it's gonna take a lot like it's not gonna be easy. And there might be two moves that the Pirates make that aren't the sexiest that could be really good moves. But it's gonna be a lot on this front office to kind of put together a package that makes sense for the Pittsburgh Pirates, because you know what the Pirates are gonna do. They're gonna put together a package that isn't going to deplete them for the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: We don't know what next year holds and Sore.
Speaker 2: I think Seth is pretty much untouchable, although we've heard stories that you know, maybe he is. He just went he's getting checked out for an oblique issue here. I don't know, Man, Like I wouldn't, I wouldn't trade them, But I think you have a deep enough farm system to make moves that are meaningful in order to help the major league team right now. And you gotta you gotta keep this window open. You gotta you can't give up on this team, man, You can't give up on the fans. You have to the worst thing that could happen for this fan base forget about the team right now. The worst thing that can happen for this fan base is for you to give up on them.
Speaker 3: That is, it's the truth. I agree.
Speaker 4: Do you think that they'll need to make more moves than just bullpen help with Do you just say we got the offensive firepower coming back, We were just gonna focus on the bullpen.
Speaker 3: You think they needs more than that?
Speaker 2: I think by default, getting Horwitz back, getting End back, getting Cruise back is definitely gonna help. We don't know how Cruz is gonna play. Guys coming off of hand injuries, finger injuries. For guys that slug, it's tough. Man like you, you might not feel the same for a while. You need some rehab starts to get your bearings about.
Speaker 3: But I could see.
Speaker 2: Them going out and looking in the catching market a little bit. I mean talk about where you need a little bit more in your lineup. Yeah, you get Indy back. Can you rely on Dy to stay healthy historically?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Right when he's here, he looks pretty good. I trust him defensively. Rafa just went down on the il. Henry is Henry. Obviously. I could see them maybe going out and not making a crazy sexy move, but maybe a move for a catcher. Maybe maybe another move for like another outfield option, just a depth piece. But right now, like I'm not trading anybody from the major league lineup. I'm not really making moves from the major league roster right now. I think that's okay. I think getting those guys back and then maybe adding one person outside of the bullpen helps. I think a starting pitcher could be a move too. I think you've lacked a lefty this year. I think somebody like a Foster Griffin, if Washington's willing to move on from him, could be a really good move. Lefties have pitched historically well at panc Park. A lot of guys have turned their careers around. Tyler Anderson, Jose Kintana have played very, very well in Pittsburgh. There's more moves than just the bullpen that need to be made. I'm I think you can make a move in the next couple of days just to try and write the ship and just give us options right now before August third. But when we get close to August first, August second, those moves need to be the moves Capital t the big SpongeBob. Write in the paper, write a little bit of this, a little bit of that fire reference. Yeah, but right now, you're okay, just scouring the waivers and trying to do addition by subtraction, moving guys around, because you just can't count on guys anymore to do the job. You can't be like, well the excuse of like, hey, well, we like the guys on the roster right now, we like what we're seeing the analytics, we like the movement here, we like the pitch arsenal. That's all fine and dandy, but it just doesn't play at this time of the year. That plays in spring training or in April, March, whatever it may be, where you can count on guys a little bit.
Speaker 3: But look, this team just hasn't caught a break man Like. It sucks.
Speaker 2: Like you can you can afford injuries early on in a year, right a little bit, but you can't get them right around the AL start break.
Speaker 3: They put guys on the sixty.
Speaker 4: Day Yeah, I mean, how many games did Connor play after coming back?
Speaker 3: A week? Like a handful?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a week And that was we talked about it. That was the biggest one. You know, Crew getting back would be obviously huge, Horwitz coming back would be great. I think Horrords was still there maybe for a little bit when Connor came back. Maybe I'm wrong, but getting Connor back and just suring up that lineup, and that moves Triolo to a position where you could play him more in that true utility role and he doesn't have to get every day at bats. His at bats haven't looked bad as of lately. He's been doing well, and obviously the glove is there. He's valuable in that aspect. But losing Connor sucks, man. And talk about a twenty year old who's just been just nails for this team, playing near gold gloves, shorts up, being electric over there, being able to put him at the top of the lineup, at the bottom of the lineup, in the middle of the lineup, the mayhem that he creates on the base path, You're just not getting that anywhere else. You're really not. And kudos to him. I mean, he still shows up every single day. We see him out there on the field early, you know, getting some workouts in. The kid is mentally strong for a twenty year old. You just don't see that often. I hope he could play meaningful baseball this year, but right now it's just not the our reality that we're living in.
Speaker 3: Fortunately, man, it really is, and losing him sucks like.
Speaker 2: A lot of this season was reliant on Connor Griff. Going into the season, it's like he makes the opening day roster and if he doesn't, the biggest addition that you're making is Connor Griffin.
Speaker 3: And now that turned out to be true.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously ohearn Low incredible, but the lineup's just not the same without the kid. It's night and day. And I don't think anybody can disagree with that. If you do, you're wrong. I'll say that he is the future of this organization. There's a lot of things that have gone wrong that haven't gone well, but he has not been one of them. I'm gonna wrap it up here pretty soon. We're down here at Brave Bean Coffee Company on the North Shore. I've heard a lot of people say like, hey, I need coffee on the North Shore. We've been guys who have talked about needing a little pick me up before or after games, and we didn't really know about any coffee shops around here until we discovered Brave Bean. And my god, was it in the perfect location because right above me is right where we park.
Speaker 3: My car is like a floor.
Speaker 2: Above me right now, and I can just walk on down the stairs, take the elevator, whatever you please, come in here. Get a coffee real quick. I'm drinking a cole Brew right now. Debo's drinking a col Brew. This is really good. It's really really good coffee. I don't just go get coffee everywhere, but we trust them to get us to pick me up in the morning.
Speaker 4: And pirates people, all the pirates folks. I just saw Danni's angrily walk out of here. Gave me a little tap on the arm. Everyone who's who's down here daily? They know it's a spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know players have come through here. It's it's really good. So come check out Brave Bean Coffee Company. You still got time. It's only eleven thirty six right now, on a beautiful Sunday day, by the way, a really really nice day.
Speaker 3: Cooled off a little bit from yesterday. Yeah, so mid seventies action.
Speaker 2: Let's let's try and make yinzer Palooza hole again. We'll show up today. What's the giveaway they got the little bear, mister Rogers, Mister Dan, I don't know what it is, man, I don't know. I just want to see good baseball. I'm sure it's a cool giveaway, But come to Brave Being Coffee Company. Get caffeinated, come over here. They are the one of the winners of the small Businesses of the Pittsburgh Pirates, so you're gonna see a lot more of them in the next coming months. But really appreciate everybody for listening and dealing with just me today.
Speaker 3: That's a tall task, all right.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's just talk about people that have to deal with just me, my girlfriend, my parents, my whole family, Debo Scott, my co workers, pretty much anybody I run into on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: It's not easy.
Speaker 2: It's not easy for me and you just to have a conversation face to face. And I really appreciate you whoever is watching right now, I don't know you guys are the best.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you again.
Speaker 2: Every home Sunday at eleven am eleven ish am, we are here at Brave Being Coffee Company. So you're able to stop I asked questions, watch the show, come say hi, and then go over to panc Park with us. Make sure you subscribe likely to common Tell a friend if you're listening to this. It will be available on Spotify, Apple Music, wherever you get your podcast. Leave a five star review that helps us out of time. We put a lot of hard work into this. We're trying to grind for you guys, to put out the best content we can in all the episodes we can covering this team. A quick two seconds to leave a five star review helps us out a lot.
Speaker 3: Come say hi at the park, Come to the Wolf Game.
Speaker 2: This is my last, this album to close out the show. We talked about the Wolf game. Look at me. The wolf game matters. It's the dog days of summer. The pack matters. The wolf game matters. It's not gonna be just you alone. You're not a lone wolf on this upcoming Monday, it's a six forty game. The sun's going to be going down and a full moon is going to be going up, and it's up to you to go to the highest point in the park. We could see the moon in the city, in the field, everything coming together at one time. And again, you're not a lone wolf. You're there with your pack, your brothers and your sisters who are going to be there all in one joined with you wearing wolf gear, and you're gonna how how how, And that's going to have an impact one way or another, either on the Pirates or on your life, and after that then it's up to you to make the decisions. They really propel you forward and move on to the next step of the season or whatever you haven't planned.
Speaker 3: But I think the Wolf game's a good reset for all of us.
Speaker 2: Whether you're having a hard day at work or a hard day at the ballpark, the Wolf game is what you need, and it's free for everybody.
Speaker 3: You just need a ticket, standing room, rotunda. Come on, Wolf Game.
Speaker 2: We appreciate everybody for listening and until next time, hoist it.
Speaker 1: The best seats at the Pirates game. They let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see years the lawyer take my date to my dates or the stick by the plate snick