Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're.
Speaker 2: Ambition, ambition, ambi, Hey, image are you to? Overall?
Speaker 3: I got bluesy at the end. I'm doing great, actually good. I mean I'm not taking that for granted. Today is a good day. Good. I only got a few hours of sleep the past two nights, and I have a huge I'm doing my career. I'm doing a career pivot webinar tonight. Uh will you guys hear this that it will have been passed, But just know that I decided. I'm like, you're just gonna be tired, but you're gonna like go, You're gonna muscle through and it's gonna be amazing. I feel very like optimistic about it. I feel like I can do it. I lost a little bit. I lost so much mojo this past year, But did you know that mojo is not a finite resource, like you can find more of it. I'm just like excavating. I just had to go find, you know, a new fertile land where mojo could flourish. And finally, yeah, some mojo's coming back.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that so well.
Speaker 2: You know, let's put a pin and I have actually I have some I have a question. It's some negotiating advice. So maybe it said a brown break, brown boost. We can do like, oh, ask and ask Mandy.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So just because you know my memory, I'm like, let's see, I'm put it out there. I'm putting it on you to remind me to remember my question.
Speaker 3: Okay. Oh god, okay, between the two of us, maybe maybe tell Tanya, maybe tell producer Tanya. I want to hear about So at this point, are you, like, like I said, do you have a wing? I am at the west at the White House, Like, is there a budget nieu like chair desk? Like do you have a like a satellite situation you know where you have your own your own place there because you are you stay on that Amtrak train to DC.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm actually going back on Thursday. So for those of y'all who have been full lim wing, I actually was at the White House last Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I believe it.
Speaker 2: They had a congressional briefing, which don't ask me what that is. I guess it's a briefing from members of Congress. I'm assuming what it sounds like a congressional briefing, But this was specifically on student loans. And so the offices that led the briefing, well, the main office that led the briefing was Elizabeth Warren, Senator, and then she partnered with Rafael Warnock. Well, actually I think the office that led it was the Majority leader, like I said, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.
Speaker 1: He's a Senator from New York.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he is New York.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so it was him, and.
Speaker 2: Like I said, Elizabeth Warren, Raffial Warnock. Remember Raffia Warnock. We was all praying that he won that election, remember Georgia, Yes, yes, yes, we talked about it here. And then also to Representative ayan La Presley, you know, the represent the beautiful black woman who shaves her head.
Speaker 1: Well, she didn't shave her head. I can't remember why. I don't know. It was alopecia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was alopecia. Yes, yeah, I think she was sharing her journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just sol't.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been to the White House before and usually it's a bunch of creators like myself, twenty thirty, fifty of us, but it was only six of us in this like okay, and so at the Capitol, which i've never been to the Capitol Building and so like, you know, you could got there early to go for a tour, but of course I was late, so I missed my tour. But then afterwards, the six of us were in this beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, you know, two hundred year old room where every gold leaflet is like you know, it just was a beautiful room and six six other financial creators and we got to meet Elizabeth Warren, not just meat but all of us literally for you guys, yes, They're like, we want to tell you what's happening with student loan debt?
Speaker 1: You sie, so like that.
Speaker 3: Means you were sitting like how far from Lizzie Warren?
Speaker 1: No, Like at one point, girl, I have a picture. We're like, hey, we took Selfie's girl. That's my homie.
Speaker 2: I actually invited her on the podcast and her Adamin, Yes, I know you suld be like, so you don't understand.
Speaker 3: Tiffany was like, I know this is the thing before I knew any of this, imagine. Tiffany's like, yeah, so I mean I know this person is like not a black woman, a woman of color. But I met Elizabeth Warren and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what.
Speaker 3: Lizzie Warren is always invited to the Brown Ambition cookouts. Always I outstand her.
Speaker 2: She is, First of all, she's an educator, so you already know we was teacher teachery and then you know, you know she wrote a financial education book.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know that.
Speaker 3: You know, I turned a business insider forever ago, and so we.
Speaker 2: Talked about that, and she's just the warmest, kindest even her staff ord. She had these interns that actually later on gave us a tour and it would just kind of give us like the behind the scenes like about like, you know, how do We were asking like are you in school? They were like rising juniors and how did you get this position? And blah blah blah, and they were just like they loved working in her office, he said. She said, not all senators are superhands on with their interns, but she said she's superhands on. We get a lot of responsibilities. We don't just have to fetch coffee. They were just going on and on about how they're so happy that they're working in her office because it's just a really welcoming place for interns to really understand what does it look like to be in government.
Speaker 1: So so what was so special.
Speaker 2: So I didn't really understand all that was going to happen, But what was so special was that one we had this initial briefing where they really broke down all things student loans. And so next week, guys, Mandy's not gonna be here, so to just be me, we're going to just do a student loan special. So a matter of fact, if you want to pour your questions in, certainly you know, I'm not an expert on student loan dead but I'm going to share all that they shared with us, so you'll have.
Speaker 3: Like Warren's dats, So if you guys have questions Tiffany, it's like, now.
Speaker 2: So we can try to see we can get her on not for next week, but we'll do a student loan like cause there are some stats and some it was just incredible. And then after that so it was like I forget a staffer on her staff who kind of like broke down all things as we as it relates to student loan debt and student loan debt relief and in particular, and then you know, the senators came in and Representative Presley and we got to we did a rotation because it was only six of us, and so we got to spend like five minutes with each of them asking questions as it relates to your quote unquote constituents.
Speaker 1: So I got to ask, I am last.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, as a black woman, you know, and you're a black woman, you know, how do you see student loan debt relief? How would this affect this community? And so she got to share, and I said, you know, you know, and so for each of them, I really got to ask questions. I recorded it, and so I'll go over in detail with all of them, share the questions I asked, and the and the you know, like the document they gave us that kind of just broke down what student loan debt relief looked like, looks like now, and hopefully look like moving forward with this administration. So it was it was incredible. It was really just like not me one of six in this room and at the.
Speaker 3: Time, proud of you.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: So I bet some creators got invited and they were like, eh, whatever, but like understanding that.
Speaker 1: There's only six people. So I'm just gonna be like, okay, I'm gonna say because normally I could talk a.
Speaker 2: Little shit, I could talk a little shit if it was a room full of people, but it was only six, So I'm like, I'm just gonna keep it cute.
Speaker 3: Like like you, I feel like like I'm so glad that you, uh whoever was in charge of inviting you, and you've gone a lot, and I think like sometimes especially in like creators, like not all you understand, like the not all of you, but some I just imagine they don't understand how important it is to be at that table. And I just feel like you're at this stage now where you can really maximize that time, and it's so great. I'm like, yes, of course you shan.
Speaker 1: To know, like what is happening? What's so what now?
Speaker 2: You know, like when I'm not just here for a photo app you know, like I want to understand. And I asked, are you know? I asked all of them, would you know I have a podcast? Would you be interested in coming on? So I a police person was like, here's my card, yes, you know, and Elizabeth the Warren. So I'm gonna now that you guys.
Speaker 3: Better get ready. I have a lot of plans for the election run up because, like Tiffany, I think the whole conversation we had. I get the apathy level right now. I need Jesus Christ. It is so terrifying what's happening. But like I'm choosing, I think this is more important than ever to just like have interesting people on to remind us like shake, get shook, shaken up a little bit, like this is important. This is a moment. So I'm excited. Let's have the Iona Presley, Let's have Lizzie Warrenant.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I didn't. I didn't. I kept it light.
Speaker 2: That was just like I didn't want to invite her if you were like, you know, because people always ask me like, why don't you just I'm like, no, the podcast is a partnership. I always check with me and and to be like, how do you feel about this, you know? And if you're like, yeah, not so much, then not so much, you know, And so like you know, I knew I got on a PLUSZL you were like for sure, So I was like already I put out the invitation. But for Elizabeth Warner, I was just like, because we sent her black and brown women here. It doesn't mean we don't have other women, but we sent her them here, and it's are mindful that if we're going to bring someone who is not a black or brown woman that like, let me check even if we are, I still you know, check in, but especially you know.
Speaker 3: But Elizabeth, Yeah, Elizabeth Warren's policies directly impacted your community posit so many huge ways, especially because of her work in the consumer finance. And it's like yes always, so I think, allyship, she's got it and she's just a I'm just so glad she's on the hill. State farm agents are small business owners too, so they know how to help you choose personalized policies that fit your needs, like a good neighbor. State farm is there. Talk to your local agent today.
Speaker 2: So coming up now. So the next thing is I will be back in Washington for something separate. So the Black Chamber of Commerce and the Vice President hath invited a group of black business owners to the Vice President's residence official residence. I've never been there, and I've never met Kamala, you know, vice president a friend and like you know, like i've met the president and his wife obviously who did Sorry.
Speaker 1: That's my special.
Speaker 3: Differing for your computer.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, I can't. I'm in DC speaking of.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's like the energy like you know, DC was like she's giving us energy, you know, like DC.
Speaker 1: Is pulling from a special DC frame.
Speaker 3: I know what I was going to ask you, where's Corey Booker at? Why was he?
Speaker 2: I saw him for a second, and I like screamed Mayor Booker because that's what I'm used to. I forgot that he's like not the mayor of Yeah, but so I saw him, and so he didn't hear me.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, yeah, that's right, he's not the mayor. But yeah, so I saw him. So there. Let me tell you something about Capitol Hill.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: You can go and like like a museum kind of take a tour.
Speaker 2: It's really beautiful but also too like you know, they take you like into these meeting rooms behind the scenes. Who the offices, they have an internal is not a lots of recorded obviously a what is it called a train inside the Capitol building like like Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does girl. I was like, you know, like airport, yes, And it was so cool.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just really like the building is beautiful, Like everybody was so nice. It's just really open about talking about student loan debt relief and how.
Speaker 1: It like it I will.
Speaker 2: They were really smart. This is her office was amazing because there were four of the six people there, it was four black women.
Speaker 1: And it's because student loan debt.
Speaker 2: Relief overwhelmingly would change the lives of black women and any other population in the United Stace overwhelming Like when I next week, when I share some of the stats, you guys are gonna be like, no way, yes, way. It overwhelmingly affects black and brown people, especially black people, and overwhelming affects women. And so the fact that it was reflected in the people that they chose to invite, you know, was it meant that you know, they're listening, you know, because they're like, this is who needs to know, Like this is what's on the line for you, And so yeah, it was just like, yeah, I'm excited to like have our student loan debt, so get ready ask your questions ahead of time. You will make it a student loan debt EPI when you know, man, day's I hear next week. But yeah, I mean I think you know the things that are happening. I'm excited too about this Thursday going to you know, I want to learn what is available for It's the black Chamber of Commerce and the vice president. So what is available for black folks in business? You know, like this is not you know, I want to know, Like, so you have me here, but for what end?
Speaker 1: And what can I take back?
Speaker 2: And you know, I have some questions to ask, like what is how you know we don't get any funding if we're not getting funding from VC funders, what funding is available?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm trying my best to find funding available for my business. Last year I almost went out of business. You know, any businesses almost went out of business, it shouldn't have been. So we know that small businesses.
Speaker 2: Are responsible for employing more people than large industry collectively. And so if I can't tell you how many of my friends almost went out of business, so we go out of business. You know, look at who's on my team.
Speaker 3: They look like me, you know, And so yeah, I mean look at the pandemic and like the rise of black female entrepreneurs, but like who's taking care of us? And yes, who's who wants to take invested interest in our success? Because like and personally too, like you, you have momentum when you start out, but the long road of entrepreneurship it's difficult there's going to come a time where you want those advisors to support. So I'm excited to hear what happens. Yeah, but while you were rubbing elbows with Lizzie Warren, I was hanging out don't be too jealous with Terry Igioma.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Last night, Trade traut Wait, Trade and travel Terry, you guys what you know? It was I So I spoke at finn CON's Women and Money event.
Speaker 1: In playing thank you.
Speaker 3: That pastel like short pants suit, whatever you want to call it, that's been in my closet for a long time. So I was very excited to take her out on the town and like give her the vibe that she deserved. And I had said yes to this a long time ago, and part of like I said, I mean, this past year husband has rocked me in so many ways that I'm not ready to talk about yet. But like last night, it was, I don't know, it felt like I was fresh, It felt like I was starting over again, and it was such a you know, wonderful event with women entrepreneurs in the personal finance space and so many Tiffany stands. Tiffany, I don't know if you know, like during my presentation some as I don't mention you, like just like I know they're gonna love this, but like, who's a fan of Tiffan, Any Tiffany fans, any Budget Mester fans. The whole room's like wow, no, like yeah, yeah yeah. And I'm like and and I'm just like I love being able to name drop Tiffany because I just get to enjoy all of your fam love. I just you know, just like warm up the crowd a little bit. Ay, So my name is made. But about that Budget Nista though, isn't she real?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: But I I was there and Jamila's Souf Front from Journey to Launch was speaking, and Bernadette Joy, who is just such a brilliant MC kind of host, she was there guiding us through and if you're it just reminded me the importance of like getting together. They did a really good job of giving opportunities for people to talk to one another so that it wasn't just us time we have that twenty minute Yeah, well we didn't have just like twenty It wasn't like back to back speakers. It was we only had twenty minutes each and in between it was like, here are some conversation starters turn around and talk to other women, and she loved. Yes, oh, you guys already talked. It's so funny because I was talking to Jamila and I and and I just saw a silhouette coming through the door. Terry had this like brilliant, like dark peach like pants suit on. She was so beautiful. I just saw her silhouette and out of the corner of my eye and I was like, is that Terry? And I and I and I turned around and it was her. And I went and told her. I'm like, how did I know? It was just like there or the vibe or something. But I was so excited to meet her. And she is the sweetest human alive. And he so successful, Yes, yes, and humble and yeah. It was so funny because we were on the way to dinner after they had a big dinner down the street and we all had to like schlep over there in the hundred degree heat or whatnot, and we were like the strap the stragglers. You know, there's maybe a couple of us meet Terry, a couple of other people heading to dinner, and Terry, uh is behind me. And then I turned around and she's with another woman. Like another black woman who had attended and and she was like, yeah, my friend so and so, and I was like, oh, her friend's here, cool, cool, cool. And then we sit at this round table. We're at the table with the speakers and her friends at the table, and I was like, so, how did you and Terry meet? And the woman goes, oh, Terry just I just met her two minutes ago. I was at the sidewalk by myself and she invited me to this dinner and said she would speak. And I was like, oh, that is so Terry.
Speaker 1: She honestly is one of the nicest.
Speaker 2: If you guys don't follow Terry Ejama igoma I j e O m A T E R I Terry Ejama right on instad so. And then her business was called Trade and Travel, So Terry's business. I think she started it right before the pandemic, or started during a pandemic. It really took off. She's made literally.
Speaker 3: Before she's yes, so yeah, maybe the biggest teachable course.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so for like top teachable course.
Speaker 2: And y'all know, I partnered with her, and you guys have been still thanking me, like who are taking her course?
Speaker 1: So she and I were talking about that yesterday, but very six. So, I mean she's been very open. In like two years, she made like sixty million dollars.
Speaker 2: I could say that because she says that on her you know, I'm talking about like on business, so this is tremendous. But also Terry is a very very very skilled trader like and so just recently she posted on Instagram how she is because Terry has also gone to seminary.
Speaker 1: So Terry has first of all, she's brilliant.
Speaker 2: She's went to MIT, you know, super smart, and then she was a I think a teacher, then her vice principal. But she's gone to seminary and and I don't know if she would call herself a pastor or, but you know, like just really is you know, connected to her the higher source that she believes in. And so anyway she has been going. She had posted on Instagram that she was at this kind of like preaching conference and people have been asking, hey, Terry, you've been like taking like a year off to like reconnect to other interests.
Speaker 1: Are you still trading? And she said yes.
Speaker 2: The beautiful part like about being a trader is I can decide when I want to be in and out, and she said, this morning, I just took this trade, and she sold a screenshot of it. She took a trade where she put in about two hundred thousand and it was with Apple and she withdrew or traded nine hundred thousand. Like what an incredible return can you imagine making in a day? And I remember the first time she made her first million dollar trade. She did it online and she was showing us, and I just thought, you know, so we were talking yesterday, I told her, because what I really love about Terry is that she will take She literally has a nonprofit where she gives especially like kids, and she she will trade specifically for that nonprofit, Like, oh, I'm going to make this trade. You know, I'm working on making a million dollar trades so I can give a million dollars to these children, the children focused organizations.
Speaker 1: And I just thought, I want to do that, you know what I mean, Like we were talking, That's what we were talking about last night.
Speaker 2: I said, I feel like everything that I wanted for myself and my family I've been able to accomplish, and now I want to be me. I'm altruistic, like quietly, you know, people come out, reach out to me, like I'm always buying, Like you know, if a teacher comes to me and has like an Amazon, you know, like wishless, I buy it all out and things like that, like I'm putting a couple of kids through school. But I want to be big, like more altruistic in a bigger way. And I told her it's one of the motivations for me to learn how to trade, because I want to be able to say, oh, I took this fifty I made two hundred thousand, and now I can give it to this organization, like this is organization and Kenya I think about all the time when I went there that helped young women who were young teen moms, many of whom were pregnant through essay, sometimes from family members. Sometimes they even their own fathers and been thrown away. And so this wife and husband duo, they they started this like you know, beautiful place for these girls to live, but they didn't have mattresses, they didn't have this. And the woman was a nurse and what caused her to start this nonprofit in Kenya was that aby had been thrown in the garbage by a young girl. They found the baby, took them to the hospital, and she tried her best to save this little baby, and the baby did not make it, and she said, how do we get here? And she started to dig further back because so many babies were being brought to the hospital as a result of this, of young teen girls throwing the baby away because it was the only way they could be re entered back into their family. And so she realized that it was the teen girls she had to help. She could not wait until the baby was here and harmed. And so she, you know, at the time, she had this amazing boyfriend who is now her husband, and she's like, I don't even know how we're going to do is we don't have any money, but I feel compelled. And so when I went to Kenya, I donated, you know, a good amount of money to that organization. But I want to be able to be more regular and not that I'll make good money now, but I want to be able to do that. I want to be able to say, look, yo, I you know this year, whatever I trade, you know, I make two hundred three hundred thousand, and here are the four organizations that I'm going to give to. So she and I that's what we were talking about last night when she told me Mandy about you know, it's just another level of philanthropy that I feel like I can unlock. So I'm excited about like that journey because certainly I know how to invest in the basic form, like you know, I know how to pick my mutual fund because I mean, you know, what are we looking at? You know, I know to pick my little ETFs, I set it and forget it. But I want to be more active and that I don't know how to do. And Terry was like, well, I'm right here, Tiffany.
Speaker 3: You know, are you taking her course?
Speaker 1: I am so.
Speaker 2: I I got her course because before I even like knew new Terry, I had brought her course and so I watched some.
Speaker 1: But you know how it is with all you know, you just you know, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I realized that, yes, and now I'm ready to commit because for me, it's a bigger thing that I want to accomplish. But so yeah, I just say all that to say that Terry is one of the most dynamic, smartest but.
Speaker 1: Also so kind.
Speaker 2: You know all the stuff if you only knew some of the stuff that she does behind the scenes and service of other people, and so it was watching her do that through trading, like making all this money.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, I mean you're not.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with a Gucci bag or a Lousvton whatever, but that's that's not Terry.
Speaker 1: She's making all this money and that's not where it's going because.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, she loves real estate because Harry likes to purchase properties, and then she likes being of service and that's about it. And so to watch that that's what wealth can look like as well, you know, kind of puts a little better in my back, Like, look what happens when black women have access to wealth. You know, like she gets to serve, like in a way that other people would not be looking at, you know, for other people that may be forgotten.
Speaker 1: So we just love Terry.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wouldn't matter if she worked at McDonald's or she had ten dollars in her back pocket. I just feel like she's just the kind of she's just good people. And I don't know, I just felt the vibe and I'm just like, will you just hang out with me for my life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: She's like, oh, I live in Puerto Rico, but yeah, it was an amazing event set and it also reminded me like if y'all are if you're listening and you're just feeling like you're in a rut for whatever reason. It can be your health, can be your career, it can be money, you're just feeling like, ah, just rusty, dusty. Find a community, like find an in person event that you can go to and just where you can engage with other people where you have something in common. So whether it's like a women's focusing or women of color focusing, or it's like the interest that you have, like, just go and connect. Because human connection it feels so like when you're in those moments where you're gonna run, like I have been like a lot, it can feel so draining, the idea of you're like I don't want that, But going toward the thing that seems like it's so hard, like you don't want to do, which is like connect and that human connection it hits every time. Man. It just like go with an open mind and let that reinvigorate you. And even if it's just one person that you meet or one conversation that you have. Last night was very healing and just lovely to be in such a warm, loving space.
Speaker 1: That's look at me. I'm just say yes past suit.
Speaker 2: At first I thought you just went, and then I was like, not her being on stage, okay, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I was like, yes, I made a joke. I'm like, next time, I'm not gonna put the photoshopped image of myself quite so big on the first slide because the screen behind me was like life sized Mandy photoshopped with like real life Mandy not photoshopped. And I was like, let me just stand in front of her because y'all are no.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful. I was just love.
Speaker 3: It was like, wow, I heard not and not my friend on stage slag. I was like, oh, so my talk was how to negotiate, like how to negotiate contracts and rates.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, we're gonna take a break, I think, and come back brown. I'm gonna I'm gonna do a light brown break AKA ask Mandy.
Speaker 1: Can we do that?
Speaker 3: Yes? Absolutely? All right, We'll take a brand a rampy back in a minute, and we're that And now it's.
Speaker 1: Time for boost break up, boost up, break up, boost up? Break Are you gonna boost? Are you going to break? What you gonna do?
Speaker 2: You gon't say, I don't know if you want to go first with a booster break or you just want to answer my question, like how do you want to do this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll go first because I have a question for you. I don't know how to feel about something that happened last night. You know how like when something happens and you just kind of you think you handle it okay, and then someone else comes to you they have a really intense reaction to it, and you're like, oh, wait.
Speaker 1: This is good. Look now that's asking each other questions. I'm like, oh, I'm all heres, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So last night I mentioned I was doing a presentation. I did a talk at this event, and I had chatted with a couple. I was talking with Terry and another woman at this event right before, and the woman ends up ends up that she runs an agency and she like reps brands who work with creators and all that. So I was like, oh, amazing, because I'm to go up there and talk about like the negotiation process, and she was interesting. We will talk for a little bit and then I go on stage and I'm doing my thing and I'm like three quarters of the way through and I see her hand go up and this had not happened the rest of the night for any other speakers. Her hand went up, and because I had just spoken with her, I don't know. I was just I was just having a great time. And I was like, wait, do you have a question and she's like, no, no, no, I have a tip, Like I have a tip, and she like and it was actually really yeah, don't see your face, and it threw me a little bit, but I was like, I'm just going with it, like you have something to add, okay. So she just I mean, she's like one thing, She's like an asterisk to whatever I was saying, I have an asterisk. And she shared her tip and I was like, oh, that's a and I just like complimented her in the moment. I was like, okay, that's a great tip, thank you so much. And then I very quickly and I had to do like real quick mental math to tie it back in to what I had been talking about, and it really could have thrown me off, but I was just proud that I stayed in the moment. I let her say her thing, and I just like kept going, and you know, I was like, not didn't feel amazing, but you know, I got through it okay, and I kept going. And then later on when we were all leaving, one of the organizers came up and she was like, what was that about. I was about to go over there and I was about to say something. I was like, and I was like, it's okay. I wasn't upset like I but it did make me feel It reminded me of those times when you were like at work or you're in a meeting and you're speaking up and for some reason people talk over you. And I just wonder, was it because I don't know that I make her feel like I was like overly friendly? Did she think that I was like someone that she could like walk over like. I don't know, Like, I just didn't know what was it about me that made her feel like let me raise my hand and interrupt this person who's giving a speech, like giving a talk. No, And I think I handled it, okay. I still don't. I'm still not mad.
Speaker 1: I liked her.
Speaker 3: She's she had a lot, she was very smart. Oh, I didn't mention during her comment was also and here's the right person to ask about this topic? And she like spelled out the name of the person that she wanted everybody to go and follow wha, that's.
Speaker 1: A little that's a that's so do you let me leave with that?
Speaker 3: Because at first I was like, oh, sorry, I forgot until just now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, can I give you some feedback?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, One, she wouldn't have done that to a man. You know, let's just put that out there.
Speaker 2: She would not have done that to a man because first of all, he was not gonna wait, he's not picking on her to raise her hand. And two, you know, you know in general, the one it's like, girl, if the girls wanted to hear from you, you'd be on stage. But you know sometimes that's happened before. People someone would to.
Speaker 1: Have something to say.
Speaker 2: But you know, I typically and it just is just you know, you can always say, hey, I I'm gonna take any questions or comments at the end if we have time.
Speaker 1: You know, That's what I usually would do.
Speaker 2: Depending on like you know, like I can I can get you know, you gauge the audience, like if it's a small group, sometimes I don't mind, like kind of a you know, call and repeat.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a huge audience. It was maybe like one hundred women, so it felt intimate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also too, you had twenty minutes. This is not an hour long talk, so it's also there's that too, to keep it. You know, what she did was wrong and rude, so let's just put that out there. I should have started with that it was wrong and rude. That like one, you have a tip. That's a tip that she could because she felt like I'm the authority in this because I'm the brand person.
Speaker 1: Well, girl, find you a stage, find you a stage, and do that, and then this is who you need to ask girl, I I the expert is in the room.
Speaker 2: That is now that is rude. That would have got a hey, I didn't like that you did that. Like it's one thing, I have a tip, it's another thing to redirect people to someone else. And I might have said because honestly, sometimes depending what kind of mood you get, I might have said something snarky, funny where it's he he had had not really like wow.
Speaker 3: Not you, not you?
Speaker 2: Not you suggesting an expert when the experts on stage, you know, like, no, no, you don't. I'm not saying you should have done that, because that's so Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be the bigger person and I Also, it's a women's event, like we're supposed to be there supporting each other. I didn't want to set a tone of like like is she being catty? Is she trying to come Like I feel confident enough at the end of the day, I am the one on stage, so I feel like I have more the power in that situation. I don't want her to like I don't know, I I but it's something that you wake up the next day and you're like, huh, that happened. And now that I've said it out loud on the podcast.
Speaker 1: To her, yeah, there we reach out to her. I will. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was a lack of self awareness and it was rude. I'm not saying because you can be rude and not intentionally rude. Sometimes we're rude because we didn't you know, cause it's like, girl, don't do that, and it's good if you return.
Speaker 3: Last speaker, it did not happen to anybody else.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm just like, because also too, she has to learn don't do that, because here's what's going to happen. You're gonna find somebody who's gonna tell you off, and then you're gonna be like.
Speaker 3: Wait, what I did not know, So she's gonna pick the right one and girl, and.
Speaker 1: The right and the wrong one at the same time.
Speaker 2: Like I said, depending on what kind of mood I was in, I was gonna give you, oh, thank you so much and moving along like you did, or because I've done a little snarky comeback, because for whatever reason I was, I was in that mood where I'm just like, not you disrespecting the speaker that's here, and that way.
Speaker 3: She could be a good one because this I'll save that in my pocket for negative that happens again. Well, I think if it happens again, I'll just I was just about to tell you to guess no, it was a white woman.
Speaker 1: Of course, girl, I knew.
Speaker 2: Please, That's what I was gonna say, because the question I was gonna say, you know a question I want to ask, yes or no. Yeah, it's the entitlement wait woman, Yeah, to be lucky depends. Like I said, if I was in a real bad mood, I would have ended with it's the entitlement for me.
Speaker 3: Am I right, I can't wait to turn this into a clip. It's good, this little nugget. All right, thank you for helping me work through that, What have I learned that I know what I'm going to say next time, and I'm also going to reach out to them and just yeah, let them know that that how that made me feel. And don't do that again, lady.
Speaker 1: Don't do that again. Yeah, because the next problem is kind all right, Well, I have a question for you. Mine is a brown break.
Speaker 2: So I have been getting a lot, I know, a lot of requests for speaking. I do want to say, like, in the last two weeks or so, maybe like five or six people finding my damns. And so either one they're like, wall you want to get paid? Wait no, or they're like, here's two dollars and fly yourself down, find your own hotel. The last one was the most egregious. I'm gonna say it real light because I just want to say I don't I'm okay. The last one the most egregious because it was a big, big, big billion dollar brand who wanted me.
Speaker 1: The jokes is right themselves.
Speaker 2: They wanted me to speak on a panel about equal pay and equal access to credit. Because it's like, I don't know, like there's like you know, I guess you know, in the seventies, women got the ability to get credit cards without their husbands and their fathers whatever. And so the panel was about equal paying, eco access to credit. I said, oh, okay, hey, so you know I had my booking person. I have a booking person that like works on commission. It was like, you know, Tiffany equal pay and equal access credit or something. She's really passionate about it. So she has a woman of colorr blah blah oftentimes whatever like all that would love to know more details daytime and budget for her to come speak.
Speaker 1: Of course they came back. Wait, like Dge, we was hoping, like it's a really good room for her to be in.
Speaker 3: Girl, not exposure girl not paying a.
Speaker 1: Black woman to talk about equal pay for exposure? Not not in on Harriet tubbans Internet.
Speaker 3: Not what I'm short circuiting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I said, not you writeing equal pay and say can you work for free to a black woman?
Speaker 3: I mean them before? Have you worked with them before?
Speaker 1: Not in this capacity?
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm talking to keep it light because I'm just like you know, but I just was like, I wasn't surprised by it, but so annoyed.
Speaker 1: Would you love to jump in a call to say what to say we're not gonna pay you, but girl, you be in the you could be in the rooms, girl. And I just like, I was so annoyed because that's not the that's the norm, rather than the like, you know me, it'd be one thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh these one off No, Like more and more people are really shocked, like, oh, Tiffany, we came to you because you're so amazing.
Speaker 1: Wait you want to be compensated.
Speaker 2: We thought we could get a blacker on a panel to make it look like, look we got a black go on that panel to show at quality.
Speaker 1: Oh but she's here for free. I just it was really annoying.
Speaker 2: So I just was like, yeah, I don't have the capacity to work for free. So thanks, so thanks, thanks so much for thinking of me. So my question to you, Mandra is oh, okay in these instances, because I feel like it keeps coming up and I'm like, what am I Am I positioning myself wrong?
Speaker 1: Where people?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously people pet there are some people who pay, but I would say the vast majority of people that are reaching out are either reaching out they have like two dollars or they want me to work for free. And I'm like so I'm asking myself to the same question. Like, you know, you're like, did I position myself correctly?
Speaker 1: On stage?
Speaker 2: But I'm like, am I positioning myself wrong? Like why do so many people think, ooh, we could get Tiffany to do it, you know, you know, and she'll do.
Speaker 1: It for free or for no money or you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah that and then when those things come in, are there some negotiating tips to try to open up the budget?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a really good question. It's also like, what is it about Yeah? I get it, it's a fair question. What is it about you that when you sit down and you're on the marketing team and you're like, Okay, we're playing this event, who can we book? And the budget's kind of tight, so you know, keep that in mind, and they're like, Okay, we're gonna ask Tiffany like like we could get her for what I don't know, excuse me from a negotiation standpoint, What I'll just say is, no, I don't think that it's I you can't control other people's bias and other people's like perception of you, and they're limiting beliefs about what you can and what you're worth. And what you're valued as. The only thing I would say is who's on the other side reminding people who the f you are and without being like it. You don't have like with your brand for example, like you don't have a corporate sponsor. Like for me for a long time, is this white guy who was my boss and he was in all the c suites and stuff, and he would bring up my name and he would like make people think of me the way that I deserve to be thought about. But until they hear it from themselves, and that's a part of the puzzle for a lot of women, especially women of color, who feel like they're not being paid their worth and they were in corporated, it's like that's kind of a missing puzzle piece. Is like having someone who can vouch for you and make people see you through their lens, okay, because unfortunately, until they hear it from someone that they do have that level of trust and respect for, they will take a look at you and their biases will win every time. You know, like even like forget about your followers. They may be coming to you for the first time, but they're not from your audience and they don't get it. They don't get the budget needs to affect the power of that brand. So yeah, that's what I feel. And you can't have a sponsor or a person in every marketing room with brands that you work for. So yeah, I'm just wondering, like who on the other side, like the marketing reps and whatever, Like how can you get in front of them so that they can truly understand, Like, oh, if we go to Tiffany, like we need to come correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess the thing is I mean, to be fair, I'm not speaking is not it's a thing that we don't pursue.
Speaker 1: It just will land. So I'm just like, oh if I get speaking work, because it's not the core center of the business. So like you know' I have other components of the business.
Speaker 2: Like for example, we just launch like for the book you know, Get Your Money, We actually today launches a get Go with Money planned, which is like because everybody, I mean, the book has just been doing so well, still selling about six to seven hundred copies a week still and people still are hitting.
Speaker 1: Me up for like I didn't understand this part and I didn't understand that part. So we have this like.
Speaker 2: Twelve twelve module like video series, you know, with like like checking for learning, and it's not just me that teaches it. Every module's taught by different educator and most of which are the ones who are also in the book. Like I'm not an attorney. I cannot teach you a state planning. So my estate planning attorney who I interviewed for the book and you know, and I told you guys about in the book, is the same one teaching that module, you know, And so I'm excited about that. So but what I love about that is that, like, you know, those are the things where my business is based around, right, But this.
Speaker 1: Speaking is kind of like, well, if at lands on my inbox and it makes sense, oh maybe I'll do it. Maybe I won't.
Speaker 2: So I you know, I haven't given it like some sort of like priority, but I guess that's the thing, like I maybe if to your pointfe I was like, because I know I could sign up with a speaking bureau who would be the person in the room for me, because my friend lovely told me. She was like, you know, Tiffany, I make seven figures a year speaking, but she speaks a lot. I can introduce you to my speaking bureau and I'm sure then I would get like, you know, it'd be different because that bureau would be like we only I'm sure the speaking bureau she's a part of only represents HI to your speakers and they enter into the room with my here's my roster versus people kind of find me online and honestly, what a lot of it ends up being, which is to your point, Mandy, is that it'll be an infinity group, a black and Brian infinity group who gets no respect, so they get no budget, and so it's this beautiful black woman who reaches out. It's like we don't really have which you know, so she's basically they're not paying me because this is the way they see her.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, like I said, like, I mean, it's not that.
Speaker 2: I mean I've gotten you know, it's not often, but I've gotten six figures for speaking.
Speaker 1: But there's definitely been times when I have to really push back.
Speaker 2: I remember, I won't say the name because I would like to work with them again, but they came to me like, basically, why should we pay you on it? At the time, one of my speaking thing was fifty thousand dollars. They wanted to pay me like ten and so like I had my admin at the time call. It was a black woman who reached out to me and so basically be like, cis, here's everything. Activity is accomplished. You know, like what you're asking of her.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. It's like, this is what you paid the other And she was like, you're right.
Speaker 2: We put a battery in her back, so it put a She then went to her this if I say this conglomerate, I mean it's huge, huge, huge, They're a TV, they're in amusement parks, they're everything, and so huge conglomerate.
Speaker 1: They paid me my fifty thousand. I think it was like thirty or fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: I can't remember whatever my price was at the time, and then came back later to apologize because they said it was so well received that I was right, that I was worth every penny, and so I appreciated that. That's why I'd like to work with them again. So I'm not trying to drag them, but it was an instance where I had to like really be like, don't ask me to do something, and I'll end with this story. It made me feel so bad. It was a big magazine. I'll give a hint, don't be late beyond anyway. So this big old magazine had reached out to me for what I thought was an interview. You know, we know you're a journalist. We don't pay people to be interviewed, you know. So they're like, oh, come into the art for the interview. We want to talk about money something. I said, oh, that's no problem. I having to bring Tracy come to the office. And I was like, well, so cure, I'm getting like and they were like, we'd love it to be a video interview. I said, again, no problem. So I brought Leela, my makeup artist. But I thought this, this, this is a pretty big interview, like because you know, because this is not they're not a television show. So the setup was so like extravagant all the things. And before I know that we'd love for you to meet the client, I'm like, client, what client? Like, I'm here for an interview.
Speaker 1: This is isn't it. You know you're a journalistic an interview, Yeah, that's it? And like oh no.
Speaker 2: The client was like Procter and Gamble I think it was, or Dove or whatever, and I said that sounds odd.
Speaker 3: Girl.
Speaker 2: They ended up asking me questions about equal pay for black women. Do you know this was not an interview, This was a campaign. This is a campaign that they got good paid, good money from Procter and Gamble and Dove or whatever.
Speaker 1: The client is in the room loving me.
Speaker 2: They specifically asked me we loved Tiffany and they had me in there working for free, for free and tricking me with the interview.
Speaker 1: I was so pissed.
Speaker 2: I couldn't of course, you know, during the time of professional the client was like, I'm like, god, we love We're so happy we specifically asked for you.
Speaker 1: God da, I said, as I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: So I got back and I told my spokesperson agent, and she ripped them a new one. They ended up giving me some money.
Speaker 1: Because she was like, is this what we do?
Speaker 2: Now? Come for a press interview and then make it that it's a campaign being shot. That's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: When I charged for a campaign, you don't.
Speaker 2: Get to use my image to promote a brand that I did not agree to, because what if I was working with their competitor.
Speaker 1: It was really really bad.
Speaker 2: So it's not just me whining, Like when when when you know you're not getting paid big money. It's like this is what's out here, and so it's just really frustrating. And so now I have to ask when I do interviews that's not you know, with people who have not done interviews before, like is this being.
Speaker 1: Sponsored by someone else? Is this being this?
Speaker 2: Because I've done even like a magazine interviews where it's laden with all the sponsorship to make it seem like I'm agreeing with whatever product that they've laced through, and I've had to call them and say, you have to take that down because I'm working with a partner where I can't do that, you know, whether that's true or not, that's what I tell.
Speaker 1: Them, you know.
Speaker 2: And so it's just really frustrating. Like, you know, even at my the budgeties to just turned sixteen. So even after all these years and all the accomplishments and all the things, and the White House and the New York Times and Netflix and Knitted, I still got to manage the bullshit sometimes.
Speaker 1: So it's just frustrating.
Speaker 3: I think that we should expect. The uncomfortable truth here is that as black women, there is no like magical mountaintop where all of a sudden it's like everyone knows your worth and then just comes to you don't have to like fight for that recognition. I mean I think about Beyonce a little bit because she still does not get the recognition she deserves. And I'm like, if Beyonce still is not winning these Grammys, But you know what I mean, like what makes us any different? And I think the negotiation tip here is to like never don't never get too comfortable. Always recognize that it's not good enough. Whatever they're offering you is probably not good enough, and that you are worth more. So I mean in our case is we can have an agent or someone to like be that person. Hopefully you turn to your agent or your yeah, whoever reps you in this situation and say, like, can you make it clear to them that this is the value I bring? So let them that person be your advocate and let them know, okay, next time, come correct. That's what I would say from a negotiation standpoint. They have to be they have to be smart enough to be excited as hell to find the budget for you, and sometimes we have to help them get there. Yeah, a lot of times you have to help them get there.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Girls, So if you are home, you know, listening, thinking like, Okay, it's not just you, you know, Unfortunately, this is the fight that we fight as people of color, as women of color in particular, and sometimes just any on. You know, oftentimes people don't see our value. But you know that, you know, I still try my best what I call illustrate my oprah. But some days it's just like, are you freaking kidding me? Equal pay for zero? They're my girl, come work this cotton field.
Speaker 3: And when those moments happen, it's like, don't give up. I mean, it's just it's just you have to have the right mindset, which is just like, okay, sometimes it should be happening. So let's just go back to reminding them, Oh this is this again. Okay, yes, girl, I.
Speaker 2: Said my whole media kid, it shows all the accomplishments and say yeah, unfortunately, boom here you go.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: So all right, y'all, well we don't see you. Well, no, we'll see you on Friday for b A qa A. Do we have any reviews before we jump off?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we did see a couple of new reviews. All right, let me go fine.
Speaker 2: While lady's looking for reviews. You know, we love, we love words of affirmation. Around here written down as reviews in particular. So so if you head don't know what to wherever you listen at podcast especial especially on Apple reviews, it really helps our podcast get seen, heard and shared.
Speaker 1: Please go on and leave us review and we might read them online.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, we've gotten like twenty new reviews just this month. Amazing. So last on a recent episode, we talked about your moving experience and trying to get your refrigerator. Did the refrigerator make it to you?
Speaker 2: No? It could not be work which one? So I haven't new one I know, thankfully though. My neighbor around the corner she had just called me. I was on the phone with her when they brought it over there, like, ma'am, this refrigerator is thirty inches, this doorway is twenty five.
Speaker 1: I was like, so the math is not mathing.
Speaker 2: Suck it in, girl, I know, can we just He was like no, And so I was on the phone with my neighbor and she her refrigerator literally just.
Speaker 3: Died and oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just was like, girl, you want this refrigerator because it's just gonna be now, it's gonna be my driveway. And she was like really, are you sure? She said, you can always put it on Facebook market. But I'm like, I'm gonna do that in three months and it's gonna be rotten. Now just take the Dame refrigerator. And so it was my gift to her. And so look the world as the world turns.
Speaker 3: So I'm good now listen. Okay. So we had a commenter who said, I love that this is the review. It's not even a review, it's just a comment on our episode. It's like moving cross country as a single, middle aged black woman. Good experience because I took no furniture, ship boxes direct, shipped boxes early and got on the plane with four suitcases from California to Georgia.
Speaker 1: Okay, good for you, rdc MA.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love that moy Race has literally just shared your show with a friend. I'm a first time listener and I just love your energy. You're so fun to listen to look forward to many more listening listens. And then Kisses two thousands says hey, ladies, you too are life the weekly informational keiky as much needed everything from financial, business to family. You guys are a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: Are so damned sway.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, leave your reviews. We will. We will read them live on the show out so just to show you that we appreciate them so much. Until next time ya Sam.
Speaker 1: Bye,