Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, Hey, we're bad. Oh we're but blah black. It's the New Year brand edition.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're just showing off with all the vocal cord strength that you have. You're giving me like Billie Holiday vibrato. This is not nice to do that to me when I can't join it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is past Mandy and Tiffany, because we're taking December and although I know you're listening, this is the first show of the New Year, but you know we're I'm in Kenya.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'm in Kenya, Mandy. What you're doing?
Speaker 2: I am surrounded by toys that I still have to put together, and wrapping paper is coming out of my eyeballs, and I'm in Atlanta, Georgia with my family for the New Year.
Speaker 3: Yes, so that's what we will be by the time this years.
Speaker 1: But we wanted to, like, you know, we don't want to leave y'all, you know, alone on New Year's so we figure this will tape us special New Year I'm So Black New Years with the Ass, which we tap a special New Year episode to just talk about some of our financial goals, business goals, credit goal, you know, like just I think this episode should really just be about kind of like forecasting what we'd like to see for the new year, and we would love if you guys share back with us, you know what you'd like, and then you know, maybe we could revisit at the end of the year see how far we've come.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Yeah, I mean I feel like for me to move forward, I need to like look back at where I went this year. It's actually really helpful for like high achievers like us. Sometimes you're so busy achieving the stuff and doing the things that you just aren't so good at, Like, like my therapist is constantly like, do you feel it what you're saying you did? Do you feel that you did it? And sometimes the answer is no, like I don't actually doesn't sync in and you don't like appreciate it, which can be really damaging because then you end up feeling like you have to keep striving and keep doing more, and then you get to be burnt out. But if I can look back at twenty twenty two, for my business, my Mandy money Makers, this time last year did not exist yet. I had just gotten sign ups, like I had just announced enrollment, and it blows my mind that this thing did not even exist, but because of the faith of the women in my community, like signing up like this has become the cornerstone of my business, and it was my goal to become business independent, where I was relying less on influencer stuff and like consulting. I had been doing consulting to kind of bankroll myself early on, as I was doing free career coaching and stuff just playing. And so I'm really proud that now Mandy money Makers has become such a big part of my business and it has gone through. I didn't wait till it was perfect. I have iterated and changed it and iterated and changed it up until moving to an on demand version as in just this past September relaunching. So I'm really proud of that. And as far as Mandy money Makers goes, thank you. As far as Many money Makers goes, in twenty twenty three, I want to be able to say that Mandy money Makers have earned collectively like a million more dollars through the power of negotiating and quitting their way rich. So I'm working on a process so that I can start tracking that so that we can celebrate the growth, because that's what my vision was for Mandy money Makers is like, there's going to be this force of women, women of color, especially who are out here in the world and no one's going to see him common but we're speaking up on everybody. We're negotiating like badasses, feeling we're able to walk away from bad situations and get better opportunities and earn more money. And I just want there to be this movement of us not waiting around for pay equity, for taps on the shoulder, for new opportunities, and just seizing them for ourselves. And I'm very proud of that. So that's one of my big business goals for twenty twenty three, right, so I'll do a business going to myself regularly would be nice.
Speaker 3: So last year it was an interesting year because.
Speaker 1: I closed I mean, was it last year? I think, yeah. I closed one of my businesses down. I had a marketing company and it just although I'm not gonna lie, you know, like profits were good when we had them, I just I just couldn't spread myself anymore thin.
Speaker 3: I just so I closed that business down.
Speaker 1: Plus two after Drill passed away, I was just like an, I don't want to do it. Also, last year, my online school. Well, this past year, my online school did okay, not as good as like our peak when we've made like ten million dollars in a year. We've made about like half that. You know, it was like it definitely limped along a little bit because.
Speaker 3: This is the year.
Speaker 1: I also stepped down as CEO, and so the new CEO has had a huge learning curve. But I'm proud to say, you know, we more than broke even. It's not we weren't profitable. We just weren't as profitable as we normally are. So you know, we didn't have to dip into emergency savings. Everybody got paid, everbody got their bonuses, all the things. It's just wasn't that when I was running it. You know, it wasn't as profitable. We didn't make as much. But I mean, honestly, I know, on the surface I could tell for the CEO, she was like, oh, I'm a girl, I had fifteen years in the game. The fact that your first year in under duress you were able to do this is tremendous. So shout out to Tam she was awesome. And then but the Budgeanisa was the surprise sleeper. Cis woke all the way up because for the last six years, I really did the Budgetista in my spare time.
Speaker 3: Basically, I know, it didn't seem like it, but I did.
Speaker 1: I was really focused on my online school because it took a lot. We had, like at our peak, like thirty employees, so I was really running that business. And so I just like, you know, when Budgeanessa things came up, I would do them. But you know, I wasn't you know, the Budgeanisa. People would be shocked that it was in comparison to what it made to the Academy, it didn't make much, you know, because I just was like anything that just randomly came in, sure, you know, but it didn't have a business model, didn't have. But this year, because I stepped away from the Academy, I've been able to focus on the Budgetista, which I love, you know, that's always my first love.
Speaker 3: And it's done really well, you know.
Speaker 1: And I remember I was talking to Angelie, my financial advisor, and I was like, oh, the Budgetista's doing really well, you know, comparison to the year before, Like it's always been profitable, but it's made like twice as much. And she was like, yeah, cause you're there, and it took me a while for like, honestly, Mandy, it still has not sunk in that saw sold separately that I bring the sauce. I don't know, it's not clearly after fifteen years that it's like, oh wow, when I left here this didn't do as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, girl, because you're not there when I came here, this well.
Speaker 1: Yes. So the Bugana it's like Tiffany, it's you like you do well because it's you.
Speaker 3: Wherever you go, there you are. And so I was just like okay, and.
Speaker 1: So you know, all in all, honestly, it was a good year, like as far as like if you look at like I guess balance sheets and whatever, certainly there was like you know, there's a lot of rockiness and like navigating what does it look like to take a step back because at you know, one point, I just was not emotionally physically capable of showing up in any way buzzernsa or otherwise. So despite like you know, me not being here half the year, like I said, the Budgetisa has done well. So my goal for Budgetista in twenty twenty three is it's not even necessarily to make more money. It's not we have like some revenue goals whatever, but we've done like the Budgetisa, the our margins are so good. I mean some months we're eighty percent profit just because it's like, if I speak for the thing, I don't have to fly myself out on a play for a hotel. I don't have to like you know what I mean, it's like pure profit typically, so which is not good.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Eighty percent profit sounds great, but it's not good for business because then that means you just pay all these taxes.
Speaker 3: So, but my goal for Budgetista is.
Speaker 1: To continue to be profitable, to stay small, cause I don't want that thirty person business again. I want to ask myself to stay small and to get really and to really hammer down what we're in the business of, which is community and content. And so now we've monetized the blog, we're monetizing the community and just like being more intentional with that. And so that's really like my goal. My business goal is to stay small. You know, let the revenue do what is going to do, which is great. It's like you know, I've already locked in, which is so great. Oh, I got a money. I'm a Mandy money maker, and I have a testimony, Mandy. Mandy, Yes, girl, so really a huge testimony, a seven figure testimony as a result of Mandy So yes, I didn't even tell like Mandy's look look at like, wait, I didn't even tell Mandy this because I just found this out like less than like maybe a few days ago. So one of the things I said for Bunjeaniste, I was like, Okay, I'm raising my rates. And remember we had the hot seat where I asked you questions and I wanted to get better at negotiating, so I asked Mandy, I said, I'm raising my rates. I'm basically doubling them because the Netflix came out and you know who does that, and so as a result, you know, people got to pay more. And you gave me one of the best piece of advice that I've ever gotten when it comes to negotiating for real, Mandy said, because Mandy, you have to understand, has also been on the brand side of like she's on the other side with me, the influencers over here here getting sign but Mandy's been on the brand side way longer than the influencer side. So she was like, I'm letting you know as someone who's been on the brand side Q four, we're getting our coins together for Q for next year, and that if you're going to raise rates so dramatically, which is your right you deserve, you should hit up everyone you've worked with and say, justin fhy this how was looking for twenty twenty three, because when you don't want them to do is lock in their budget and then being like, wait, what but you were fifty last year, you're a hundred. Had I known and I was like I was nervous to do that, and you were like, drew it. And so I put together the new media Kid with all the new numbers and my new rates. Anybody that's reached out, anybody that we work with, please circulate it.
Speaker 3: Do you know girl? That for twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: There was pushback at first, like but already for twenty twenty three, I have locked in one point two million dollars for the business because of that, Mandy, Yes, that move, And honestly I have never locked in business before.
Speaker 3: Yes, literally, like be talking over here on the Yes.
Speaker 1: Literally, I literally don't know what the years because typically what it looks like is that people come to me, I want to work with you.
Speaker 3: This is how much it costs.
Speaker 1: I have never pre locked in business a year before like this before. I was like, so when my CFO she' said I have some amazing news for you, I was like, okay, she'said, we have one point two million dollars in business.
Speaker 3: I was like, for the year. She's like, no, girls from that, she's said for twenty twenty three. I said, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I don't cause it was a foreign concept to have pre money paid out, not paid out, but you know, pending. And she was like no, because you know, you circulated your new raids. Although there was initial shock, people got their feet together and their money together and said we want to locked it and now for next year. It's like, so what I say if you are not invested, if Mandy money maker, Mandy just helped me make one point two million, that was high it bitiness, you know, for real.
Speaker 2: That's a real testimony. I forgot never I don't even know I forgot. Did you get my contract where I said I get fifteen percent but it did not come through all send another podia. No, that's amazing, and it also it doesn't just it's not just the fact that like strategically, it's the right time for their budgets. It also give gives this perception, which is true, that you're a hot commodity and if they don't, like, you know, book you while they can and make sure they can book you, that you will be booked by someone else. So I am that's fantastic, girl. Yes, I want to do that for myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, And you know what so crazy is that so much so to your point, which you just said, Mandy, that one of them wants to book me for a multi year deal because they're like, oh, this girl about to be raising rates.
Speaker 3: Like going to go up next to her too, They're like, So I just.
Speaker 1: Was like, I want to tell you, y'all think we'll just be playing. I ordered Mandy's you know, negotiation like toolkit that so I paid for it, you know, I you know, and I you know, thankfully I get to talk to Mandy and so like, you know, this is her expertise. So I just shared that to say that that's you know, the goal for next year. Basically, you know, my revenue goes. I know I'm going to hit them because we're like more than halfway there. It's really just for the business to get really clear on what, like, what does the budget need to do? It has a blog, spokesperson, speaking books like, you know, getting really clear on the business that I'm in and getting rid of the fluff. The year for next year is really deep versus wide, clearing out all these little small small things. I was doing, like, no, no, no, I do these four core things and here's how we make money doing so, and so that's like my business goal for next year. So yeah, but yeah, I was like, what about your personal like, you know, any personal financial like business, your personal goals?
Speaker 2: Rebuild my savings. You mentioned how what a heavy saver. I was nothing like a couple of years of bootstrap in your own business to deplete the savings that you built. So one of my well, I guess it's a personal financial goal is to rebuild savings, which it looks like I'll be on track to do, which is exciting, and have this baby and give myself My goal is to have be able to spend at least a few months without like doing anything major work wise, and have this baby and just enjoy it. I was so privileged. I look back in hindsight, it was obviously so freaking hard to have a newborn during the pandemic, with no help, no village, and working full time. But at the same time, I was such a part of Rio's early months. I mean I'm a part of his every day. You know, I've never really been away from him, and I want to have that same experience, maybe not with the pandemic hanging over my head and with some more you know, daycare and nanny support, but just to be really present and enjoy number two when they join us the spring would be a big goal of mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we go any further, we need to take a break because this conversation is getting so good and juicy.
Speaker 3: Be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: My goal is do less. Well, when I say do less, do less what I'm obligated to do. You know, Like I'm taking all of month March off. I'm taking all of March. What I say, March, August and December, and so I'm taking those months off to I might go somewhere I might not. Well, that's not true. So I am like in March, I already booked Egypt, so I'll be going on plan not for the whole month, but you know, but I'm wanting to my biggest personal goal.
Speaker 3: As related to like business and stuff like that, is to.
Speaker 1: Like really get clear on living as Tiffany and forcing the budget and stuff to fit around it. Because for the last fifteen years I've lived as the Budgetnissa, and Tiffany has fit around you know.
Speaker 3: You know that, And I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like, yeah, which there's nothing wrong with that, you know, at that stage. I don't begrudge that because I'm just like, it brought me here, you know, where I don't have to workout. I don't want to where I live off ten percent of when I make and I get to travel. So I'm not mad at that, but I'm beyond that. I have passed that, and I stayed longer than probably I should have in that space. You know, Like I always tell Logan, my content manager, why are we in launch mode if we're not launching? You know, like sometimes you scramble, It's like yeah, but like or like when you're a rush to get home, okay, is the dog not fed? Like? You know, I can understand you're rushing cause you're late for work, but you're not rushing because you're late for home.
Speaker 3: We signed traffic.
Speaker 1: So I'm learning to be like I'm no longer rushing, I'm no longer having to make a certain amount of money. My life, my fancy life, costs me one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year, and that's super fancy.
Speaker 3: That's that's vacations on vacations of vacations.
Speaker 1: My regular like life costs me under one hundred thousand dollars a year because I don't have a mortgage, I don't have a car. No, I don't, so so meaning that like I you know, that's less than ten percent of what I make as take home, so I don't need to, you know, like I could be a teacher and manage the life that I have now. So I'm just like, if we're not launching, we're now living and launch motivity. So really, for me, it's like not to say you won't see me doing like, you know, work, but it will only really saving space for the work that's aligned since I don't have to make more. I'm not it would be great if the budget needs to make twenty thirty mili Okay, that's cute, but not if it means extra work, because I don't need twenty thirty million hours, you know, And so yeah, I just want piece. I want I want to alignment. I want to travel a bunch, you know, I want to Like, I've been spending a lot of time with friends. That's why I said many, I'm gonna come see you, because I've been making it my really making a concerted effort to spend time with people I care about, you know, to sit on your cows, to go after it, to eat to.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like and so like I've been doing that more and more, Like I've seen more friends in the last two or three weeks that I have sometimes last two or three years of being like no, no.
Speaker 3: I could do lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I come to the city. We can have dinner. That was never me before. It's like, ooh, girl, I can't. I got to do this, this this, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like yes, but for your friendships and personal.
Speaker 1: Actly and you know, my family and you know, so I'm excited about that because honestly, I feel like I actually had therapy.
Speaker 3: Today and I was telling doctor Green.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, there's a lot of joy, Like you know this time of year, well, yeah, this time of year, you know, this holiday slash New York time of year, it's certainly there's a lot of like, you know, the sads, you know for sure, because I kind of feel a little anchorless, you know, because there's so much change, but you know, there's still like so much joy. She said something, she said, Tiffany, you are surrounded by love, and I really am. I did not see this this time last year, but I see it very clearly. I am literally drowning in love from family, from friends, from.
Speaker 2: Y'all's, Cherro's homegoing is like it sounds messed up, but in the I really mean it, Like that's the goal. Yeah, that room, like that, the love that I felt in that space, I'm just like, it's it's not every day you see that sort of like envelopment.
Speaker 3: Completely of love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's obviously because you attracted because you are love and so was he. But yeah, truly that is like what everyone should be striving for. Yeah, and just blooming fill room like that was so much love.
Speaker 3: Gerald.
Speaker 1: You know, he wasn't a speaker or teacher or whatever, and to see how many people came out for him. So yeah, just my personal goal is less really focusing on on just like family, friends, you know, doing like the professional things that actually bring me joy. Not because it necessarily brings money and hopefully getting a fabulous condo.
Speaker 3: I want.
Speaker 1: You know, I've never had a fabulous like like my house is beautiful and comfy and cozy, but you know, I.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't say it's fabulous. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You walk in, you're like, oh fabulous, honey, Oh it's money a here. So I'm like, before I leave this earth, I want to have a fabulous hunt like where it's like, don't wait the keyed yet exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I leave you kids at home.
Speaker 1: It's a non kid because right now my house is so kid friendly. Girl, you can believe you can have a preschool up. And this is that because it's so like cozy and warm. I'm like, honey, like yeah, so I just I'm gonna look, I'm looking forward to twenty twenty three. I think it's just really going to be like a banner year. We'd love to hear from you guys, like, you know, oh, one thing before I forget. I don't can't remember when this is airing, But if you haven't already, you want to get on financial track. I haven't done this so many years, Manny, I'm finally bringing back my Literature Challenge.
Speaker 3: The free challenges, yes, and I can do with my voice and so totally free three week courses.
Speaker 1: I used to do them every year, but it's been like four years since I launched it. Already over two hundred thousand people I have signed up. And so when you're interested, you know, you go to Live Richer Challenge dot com. If you sign up now, you can do it collectively with everyone, because what we all doing it together. There's like we use this mighty network chat spot where we can all like hang out talk every day about the challenge and work through the challenges together. But the good thing is is that it also be automated later. So if you're not ready, you know you want to do it in February March, you can still take it again. But you know, I just encourage you in January to like, you know, get going on your financial goals and making it a team sport. And if you don't have support, that's why we do it like this. So it's like, you know, your.
Speaker 3: Sister and them don't want to do it, that's all right, You'll find some sisters in that group. So it's just Live a Richer Challenge dot com.
Speaker 2: Man that takes me back to the og budget Theese Today's I remember interviewing you on Yahoo about your first LRC and then going to that party at Newark. Yeah, and to celebrate, and.
Speaker 3: We did the wobble. I remember you were in the story. You're like, I've never been to a financial party where they did the wobble. Oh it was so good. I love it.
Speaker 2: Congrats, that's so exciting. Y'all got to join Liveracher Challenge dot com. All right, bye twenty twenty two. It's nice seeing you, I know, twenty twenty three. Bring it all right, y'all, let us know. Hit us up on Twitter, at the VA podcast or at the Budgeonista. I'm at Mandy Woodruff. Hit us up and let us know what what you loved about twenty twenty two and what you have to look forward to in twenty twenty three. Let's keep it positive, keep the goals doable, trackable, you know, set realistic goals that you can get done. Yeah, let's make it one of the Let's make it a great year as best we can.
Speaker 3: Yes, bye, y'all, but we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Hi, friend, We'll see you that fun and kenya, thank you, right, I can't wait right now.
Speaker 3: If you're listening, I'm probably on an elephant.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, I hope, I'm going to do Safari. I'm definitely going to do Safari. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Brother just texted me about going on Safari. Yes, that's amazing. All right, enjoy, live it up and we'll see y'all next year. Bye.
Speaker 3: We'll actually this year because that's what this is here. Oh yeah, yeah, that's right. Forgot. This is our past elves. Bye, see you next week.
Speaker 4: Bye, hey ba fam. We could not do this without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Ambission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech curu, and I am Bandy Windchard Santos your co host, and I will see y'all next week.