Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains general spoilers for a lot of Captain America characters. That means Statius Ross, that means Sam Wilson, that means Steve Rogers. That means Bucky Barnes in the MCU movies, but also in Marvel comic books. So be warned because we're going to tell you who these people are and how we get to Captain America Brave New World. Hello, my name is Jason Getupsio and on Mesday Night, and welcome back to x Ray Vision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture Recovery of LRA podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Speaker 2: In this episode, as Jason hinted in the spoiler warning, we are looking at the road to Captain America a Brave New World. How did we get here? In the MCU what decisions? Let us here? Who is Sam Wilson? You know who Sam Wilson is if you listen to this podcast, but if you don't, who is he? How did he take on the mantle of Captain America? And who or what is a Red Hulk. We're going to get into it, and then afterwards we're gonna do a brief comics corner to talk about how the comics got there so the movies could adapt them.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with the MCU timeline of Captain America. It opens in nineteen forty two, World War Two, raging ninety eight pound weekling Brooklyn boy Steve Rodgers has tried multiple times Rosy to get into the army.
Speaker 2: And it's so tiny.
Speaker 1: He can't do it. He's like a little pinhead, Like he's like a little pin with a stick finger with a little pin body lollipops. He can't do it. He can't even like lift a pencil. The guys but he's tough, but he's weak. He's gonna me like he's got he's got heart, he got hot kid. Steve attends the Stark Expo with his best friend in Brooklyn, Bucky Barnes, and as luck would have it, scientist Abraham Erskine, who is the science head of the top secret Super Soldier program, is also in attendance. Erskine has been worried because he's developing this super Soldier serum that will make everything that's inside a person just becomes stronger. So if you put it into a bad man, he'll become worse. Put into a good man, he'll become better. So he needs to find this like, really good person, and he kind of thinks, after overhearing conversation that Steve has, that maybe he could be that guy. So he allows Steve to enlist in the selection program, and Steve wins the bake off and gets to undergo the super soldier process. It really really works. He immediately after being bombarded by Vita Rays with a super soldio seerup in his bloodstream, turns into Chris Evans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris Evans, no longer tiny CGI, Chris Evans, absolutely big, muscly, real life buff Chris Evans.
Speaker 1: Good for him, Good for him. And let me tell you Peggy Carter, who was running the training program, the selection process, and was already kind of like, you know what, this guy Steve is good. I like him. Now she's all of a sudden, they're like, hold on hold the phone. So it works, but there's a problem because Hydra, the Nazi organization, discovers that this super soldier process is taking place. They want to destroy it or steal it, and so they strike right after the super soldier process is completed, Erskine is killed and all the work is destroy Rogers chases down the killer, but he like chomps down on the signid capsule and dies. Now that the super soldier process is basically done for and the only viable specimen of successful super soldier you know serum, is Rogers, and it's in his blood. It's deemed that he's like too valuable to put into the field, so he gets stuck chilling war bonds. But then all.
Speaker 2: Kinds of funny propagandas the girls.
Speaker 1: Yes, But when he finds out that his best buddy, Bucky Barnes and his elite unit, the Howland Commando, has.
Speaker 2: Been captured, Steve goesgue.
Speaker 1: That's right, Steve goes rogue on his own to rescue them, and it's successful. Now with the Commandos at his back, Steve has the juice to actually get into the war. And he goes around and they're beating up Hydra Hither and Yon and kicking them all around. Around this time, Howard Stark, Tony's dad gives Steve his iconic shield made of vibranium. It's indestructible almost because we do see Fanos beat the shit out of it. In endgame anyway, Steve is also Rosie, falling deeply in love with Peggy Carter of cool love and this lady he thinks she's the Beasneys. Sometime later, the Commandos are assaulting a Hydra supply train in order to capture artam Zola, but it's a trap. Bucky falls into a deep revene and dies.
Speaker 2: He dies definitely coming back.
Speaker 1: That's it, But the Allies do you managed to capture Artamzola. Zola gives Rogers the location of like the main Hydro base where the Red Skull is, and at that base, Red Skull is preparing to use the Tesseract and object of immense power that's also the Space Stone. He's going to use it to basically nuke America and win the war and also nuke the Nazis and take over Nazi Germany. Captain America defeats Hydra, beats the Red Skull, and like the hero he is, goes down with the Red Skull's plane and the Tesserak to the bottom of the North Sea and says to Peggy Carter as he's going down, I sure wish we could have had that dance. There's tears all around and he crashes much, much, much Later in the year twenty eleven, Nick Fury wakes up Steve Rodgers and tells him he has a job for him. We go to nineteen ninety one. Russian Assassin, Secret Assassin, the Winter Soldier, who's been running around for decades assassinating important people, assassinates Howard and Martha Stark. Because Howard is very, very close, not even close in fact, has succeeded in recreating the Super Soldier series. Their deaths are staged to look like a car accident, which everybody thinks it's an accident for years and years. We go to twenty ten. Thaddeus Thunderbolt Ross, a general, is one of many Department of Defense contractors and Army related Defense Department people who are looking to recreate the Super Soldier serum. This leads to a laboratory accident in which Betty's his daughter's boyfriend Bruce Banner, is bombarded with gamma rays and turns into the fucking Hulk. Ross then chases the Hulk all around the world, and he also juices up with like off brand Super Soldier Serum a Russian mercenary Emil Blonsky in order to hopefully capture Bruce Banner. Emil eventually turns into the Gamma powered abomination. The Hulk has to fight the abomination in Harlem. All of Harlem like basically gets destroyed. But what you know, it doesn't get destroyed. Rosie Ross is get destroyed. He is, so he's on the express Elemator to the top, all of the top. Nothing that he does can possibly hurt him. And it's honestly one of the most realistic things that happens in Barbara movies. It's true.
Speaker 2: It's true. It's true.
Speaker 1: That brings us to twenty twelve fictional twenty twelve and marvels the Avengers. The job that Nick Fury has for Steve is to lead his elite strike team, the Avengers. Other members include Howard's son Tony the Iron Man, famed Gamma researcher, It's fugitive Bruce Banner, recently seen being pursued by Thaddeus Ross as Guardian God Thor shield assassins Clint Barton and Natasha Romanov. You know the story. Thor's brother Loki strikes a deal. Oak has takeover of Earth he uses a scepter that turns out to be the Space Stone to open a doorway and allow the Chachari to invade New York, but they are defeated by the for the first time ever assemble Avengers. And with that, Wow, we will take a break to take to listen to a word from our bonderagrement. Yeah, and we're back, Rosie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Time.
Speaker 1: Why a fucking time?
Speaker 2: Like, can you remember the first time you saw the first Avengers movie? Like, what a time? I really cannot well, A time.
Speaker 1: I was going absolutely crazy. I remember the I remember when they debuted the first trailer during the Super Bowl and I was not necessarily I did not have high hopes for the movie. But then I saw understandable railer and I was like, hold on a second, the Hulk looks incredible. Is this not gonna be great?
Speaker 2: Is it gonna be good?
Speaker 1: And it was really great? Uh, Next up The Winter Soldier. The year is twenty fourteen. When not working with the Avengers, Steve is out in the field carrying out all types of secret shield missions for Nick Fury. One of these the rescue of the crew of the La Marie Star, which, by the way, Nick Fury set up the hijack that kind of goes under talked about. Is Nick Fury, I do think we should talk about hired hired mercenaries to hijack a Shield vessel so that he could get intel. Steve during the rescue, op realizes that Natasha has other orders, and that is to secure intel on Project Insight. Insight is a project that goes all the way to the top of the US Defense Establishment, to the Secretary of the World Security Council, Alexander Pierce, who is Nick Fury's boss. Alexander Piers is also the leader of Hydra, the reconstituted secret society. Hydra, the Nazi society went underground after World War Two and because some of its important scientists, chief among them Martem Zola, were imported to the United States to help the US get the technological edge during the Cold War, they kept doing Hydra shit and were able to turn Shield over the years into a secret Hydra scandalous organization, absolutely scandalous. Hydra Slash Shield puts the Winter Soldier into the field in order to keep their conspiracy secret. This legendary Russian assassin, who again has been active for decades, kills Nick Fury. He's dead. Nick Fury is dead. That's it. Steve Rodgers is framed for the crime, is forced for the first of many, many many times to go on the run.
Speaker 2: Steve was coming on there on this guy. He loves to take his little motorbike and go on the run, especially when he's helping his pal or his pals.
Speaker 1: That's right now. One of his pals who he has met while jogging is Sam Wilson, an Air Force veteran and former member of the Elite Winged para rescue Spot. They wear these winged jet packs and they fly around. They do incredible feats. And so when Steve goes on the run, the only people that he feels he can turn to are one Natasha Romanov, who I believe, uh, they have intercourse, Like I believe that they make love.
Speaker 2: This is peak. This is peak at the time when they couldn't put black Widow into a movie without her being the love interest. And these two would definitely don't come to knock in if the caravan is rocking.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Like, I believe it. I believe it was knocking. I believe that it is knocking. And then the other person is Sam his jogging buddy, so they team up and they duke it out with the Winter Soldier in the streets of DC. But then Steve figures out that the Winter Soldier is his former best friend for Brooklyn Funky Barnes. He's also still alive after eighty years after World War Two and after he seemed like he died at the hands of Hydra. Barnes has been brainwashed and when he's not active, he is kept in cryostasis. Steve, Natasha, Sam, and Nick who is alive for the lja's plans. That's right, Foyle. Hydro's plans to use insight to proactively execute all threats to their power. This you know, like guys like Bruce Banner and Stephen Strange and more. Shield is disbanded because it's revealed to be a Nazi organization. Pierce is killed and the Winter Soldier escapes for all this and goes underground. Age of Ultron, Tony accidentally creates a super AI. The AI breaks free, it makes a body out of vibranium, but it's eventually defeated. But Tony's recklessness leads to the destruction of Novigrad, the capital city of Sokovia and it's really, really, really bad. I I Corumba votes it's very bad.
Speaker 2: Like the Avengers have killed many, many people in the MBC.
Speaker 1: Like this is colony's fault.
Speaker 2: This is the collapteral damage that Tony Stark has created. Is bad, bad news, bad, bad fucking news.
Speaker 1: So the groundwork for a global movement against the Avengers and against super powered individuals is laid with this movie. In the Destruction of Sokovia, Captain America Civil War Kap and his team Natasha Wanda and Sam Track X Shield and hydra Operative brock Rumlow aka crossbuondes to Lagos, Nigeria. There's a fight, but the fight results in the deaths of dozens of civilians, including Wakanda aid workers. The fallout from Lagos and Sekovia is that, not to mention the destruction of Harlem and the wreckage of New York, which they shouldn't be blamed for New York, but I get it. The result of all of this is the Secovia Accords. US Secretary of State, this is shocking. US Secretary of State Thunderbolt Ross failing to the top, continuing to vault at the top, informs the Avengers that listen, you're gonna have to register or there's gonna be problems. You're gonna be arrested, that you're gonna be a fugitives, you're gonna be outlaws. It's gonna be that you can't undertake missions now without the express clearance of the US government. Tony chastened by the whole Ultron thing, and Sokoby is like, I think I think we need someone to limit us. I believe this. Steve is like, well, I didn't destroy the city, that's your fault, so I don't believe that. I don't think that we should have to register the government with the government and do everything that they say. That seems really scary to me. Steve tracks Bucky to Berlin and tries to bring him in, but unfortunately, Bucky has been framed for the murder of the King of Kanda, so the king's son, now King T'Challa of Kanda aka the Black Panther, is trying to bring Bucky to justice or just take revenge for the murder of his father. Eventually, Bucky is captured by German authorities, but Baron Zimo Sikovi, an intelligence officer and a guy with a huge axe to grind sneaks into the facility and Bucky's Winter Soldier programming. Cap managed to manages to apprehend Bucky before he does too much damage, and Bucky tells Steve that Baron's EMO is behind all of this. Baron's Emo plans to go to the Siberian base where all the other Winter Soldiers are so he maybe he can build himself like a brainwatched Army. Cap and his team go to the airport so they can fly to Siberia. They end up fighting Ironman's team, now including Spider Man. Cap and Buck managed to get away and then the rest of CAP's team is interned by Thaddeus Ross into the supermax prison known as the Raft. You're under arrest, You're under in Siberia.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, I gotta say, look, I love this movie, right, and I do support I do support Captain America. I just think it's so funny that he essentially like creates an international incident because he wants to save as bestie. I love that energy. I love that I believe it in. He believes he is a good guy and he will fight everyone to say his boy. That's why people's ship Captain America and they went to Salja.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just also say this Winter Soldier and Civil War have three of the five best action scenes. And Mao question, it's like really great. In Siberia, Tony, just as Zimo intended, figures out that Bucky killed his parents in nineteen ninety one. It's shocking. Zemo's true plan is now revealed. It's to just tear the Avengers apart for destroying his homes of Novigrad and Sekovia, and it works. Cap and Bucky fight Tony. Tony's armor is destroyed. Cap goes out underground, the Avengers are torn apart. Bucky goes to Wakanda to hide out, and the Avengers are finished. Later, Steve infiltrates the raft and frees his his buddies, including Sam Wilson. They go underground again. We go to Black Widow. Oh wow, fattiest boss. I guess he's having a lot of stress because he's like on his third bypass surgery.
Speaker 2: They mentioned it would be imagine how stressful it would be to deal with the Avengers on like a daily basis trying. Yeah, if you're trying to navigate like the rest of the world, and everything, and the Avengers just keep not listening to what you're doing. And your daughter, Betty Ross is also in love with the Hulk. That's very stressful to him.
Speaker 1: So Thaddeus Ross believes that Natasha helped Steve escape from the Raft because Steve is not a sneaky guy. How is all of a sudden He's sneaking into the Raft and beat up all the marshals and getting people out. I believe that Natasha had something to do with this, so he chases her all around the world and never captures her, but then eventually he does capture her at the end of the film after she destroys the Red Room, but she escapes yet again off camera. Infinity War Thanos comes to Earth looking for the Stones, Cap and Sam and the rest of his team include Surface when Thanos's lieutenants attack Wanda Envision in Scotland. Ross is not happy that the Avengers are now like running around again and Cap is running around again, and he tells Rody to arrest Steve Rogers, but Rody's like fuck you. He hangs up a come on as if God and is eventually court martialed, but Schizm's remain the Avengers are fighting separately cap in one team fight Thanos's army and Wakanda, Ironman and another hastily assembled group fight them fight Sanos personally on Titan, and everybody loses. Thanos assembles the Infinity Gauntlet, he snaps. Half of the living beings in the universe disappear, including Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes, and Thaddius Ross. Get snapped, bitch, snapped up, and we will snap back to your ears after word from us front. Yeah, and we're back ending. Five years have passed after the snap universe and chaos, Thanos is gone. Steve and the remnants of the Avengers track him to a desolate planet where Thor beheads him and everybody acts like Thor did a bad thing. They're shocked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you meant.
Speaker 1: This guy killed trillions and eventually, Scott Laying the act Man pops out of the quantum realm and everyone realizes time travel as possible. Tony perfects the process. The Avengers travel back to various points in time to assemble the Stones before Thanos gets them. They bring everyone back defeat a slightly younger version of Thanos who traveled from the past to get the stones. They beat him, but Tony dies in the process. They go to return all the stones. Steve goes back to return the stones, but then is like, you know what, I'm gonna stay here. I'm a Mary, Peggy Carter in the year nineteen forty nine, Steve, Stephen, everybody. They turn around at the spot where they're you know, going into time where they have the time machine set up, and they turn around. There's Steve. There's Steve. He's old now, Joe Biden. Steve looks Joe Biden is but still sharp, and he says, know what, I can't do it anymore. This is for you, Sam Wilson. This is the Captain America Shield. You are the guy. You are the next Captain America. I believe in you. Thaddeus Ross, returned to life post snap, attends Tony's funeral with all the people that he's chosen to try to arrest, and who knows how that conversation went very weird that he shows up Falkon and the Winter Soldier on Disney Plus. Six months after the victory over Thanos, Sam is struggling with the responsibilities and whether or not he wants to take up the Shield, He and Bucky for a tenuous alliance. Bucky is in therapy court mandated therapy after his many accidental Winters Soldier activations. They go into the field to fight the Flag Smashers, a terrorist group that's juiced up on super Soldier serum thanks to the mysterious power Broker who resides in Madreport. Behind it all is Baron Zimo pulling various strings. The US Government, seeing Sam waffling, decides to override Steve Steve's decision and they name John Walker as their next Time in America. We learn over the course of this series that Baltimore resident Isaiah Bradley, a Korean War veteran, is part of a previously unknown super Soldier program and he is one of dozens of such soldiers who were exped and experimented on by Shield and Hydra and the were just cut loose and thrown away. In the end, Zemo and the Smashers are defeated. The power broker is revealed to be none other than ex Shield agent Sharon Carter. What what last scene in Captain America Civil War, Okay Walker gets Super Soldier serum and becomes US Agent. Bucky takes his therapy very seriously and finds a measure of peace. Isaiah Bradley's sacrifices officially recognized when they put some information about him and his picture and all that stuff in the National History Museum, and Sam decides, you know what, I am gonna become Captain America. Also Ross orders in a post credit scene, Ross orders his underling Major Donovan to begin secretly tracking all super powered individuals, as if they weren't doing that all.
Speaker 2: I know they were doing that already, Like come on, come on now.
Speaker 1: This sets us up for Captain America Brave New World because we're gonna find out in this film and has not a spoiler because this isn't all the trailers three time bypass undergoer multiple time fucking up every mission that he's every part of time. Thaddeus Ross is now president. Wow, So you're bad?
Speaker 2: Seems bad, guys. So yeah, before before we jump into the comics history it did we are in a weird situation. This movie literally comes out. We are recording this right now Friday, January thirty first, so it comes out in two weeks. What do you feel like the temperature check is on this movie? Like is the hype there, like are we hearing are you seeing people like excited for it? Like this is taking some of the older trends of the MCU, Like you know, they would usually cast a character actor. Obviously they had to recast Patatius Ross. They went with Harrison Ford. This seems like Marvel's setting up to be a huge movie. But what's your feeling on it? How do you how are you feeling going in?
Speaker 1: I think that the I think that the buzzes has been so negative for so long, with all the reshoots and the either cutting or rewriting of Sabra and all the stuff that's been around this film, and you know, the kind of political climate turning against Disney and Disney properties in general. I believe that this we've now reached the point where my personally, my expectations are solo that I feel like I'm going to go into this movie and be like, you know what, that was pretty good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I too feel like that has been the route that this is going, rather than with that man in Quantumnia, where they were essentially like, this is the best movie we've ever gonna make, and we've made exactly what the fans want and everything they seem to be going for a more like low key. I definitely think they want to be channeling the Winter Soldier energy aka the movie The Winter Soldier, that kind of espionage situation. I'm interested. I think that I wasn't the hugest fan of Falcon in The Winter Soldier and its representation of Sam Wilson. I'm a big Sam Wilson in the comics.
Speaker 1: That was also Covid exactly. I will say that that's the one plus Marvel show where I'm like, I'll give him a pass on that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I will say, going to be good, this.
Speaker 1: Is naturally this problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also I will say as well, something that has excited me about the trailers, even though you know I'm going in warily is I love the way that they're using Sam's suit in the action. We get to see him, you know, cut through a car with his wings. I think we're also looks like he's probably got a vibranium suit, because we seem to have some kind of kinic absorption. So I hope Sam's really going to get to be a hero here, and I hope that people are going to get to kind of fall in love with him. Okay, Aaron says, do we think the suit is vibrainium or adamantium. Well, I would say the kinetic absorption. I think it's I think it is vibranium. But I do think that just as the original Black Panther movie and Claw and kind of the introduction of vibranium as a natural resource that MCU would want like people in the mc would want, I do think that we should expect to probably hear about adamantium sometime soon. There is also a big chance that one of the reasons that Thaddius Ross goes on the transformative journey that he will go on in this movie is we'll talk about more in a moment in the comics is probably because they know that there's a threat of mutation and all that kind of stuff. Obviously, I'm excited because the eternals and Arashim will be mentioned here, so finally maybe we can understand.
Speaker 1: What people are doing about that. Maybe there's solestional in the ocean, guys, anyone.
Speaker 2: Anyone interested ever heard of it? But I do think that with all the struggles of the MCU and everything and the ups and downs, I do still think as I will get to when we talk about comics in a minute. Sam Wilson's very important character in Marvel history. I think Anthony Macki does a great job bringing him to life, and I hope that after maybe the kind of slightly lacking in impact of Cap in the Winter Falcon and The Winter Soldier, I think that I'm hoping that this at least does Sam Wilson justice. And I'm interested to see because it feels crazy to be two weeks out and even in our discord, this is not what the people are talking about, you know, the people are talking about everything else. So I'm gonna be yes, it was, And I just need to say, it's Tiama who is in the ocean, not Arisham. Arisham is a celestial How.
Speaker 1: Could you it was me?
Speaker 2: How can I ever get this wrong about my favorite move or my favorite movie. The Eternal is on paper.
Speaker 1: There's some fun, dramatic juice. Yes, it's going into this movie, like the President has arrested Captain America multiple times, Like in his past job as Secretary of State and Avengers Hunter, he has imprisoned Sam Wilson, currently Captain America in the Raft multiple times. And I feel like that's a really cool like conflict to just have. That's your boss. Your boss has put you in prison and now, and so I feel like that's a really cool place to start dramatically, and so I hope that I'm hoping that this movie is cool. Should we go to comics Corner and let's do it?
Speaker 2: Corner up.
Speaker 1: Welcome to comics Corner, where we're now going to where Rosie is now going to walk you through the origins of and the developments around some of these characters, notably read Hulk, who is a more recent character in a comics canon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will I will begin with Sam Wilson, as it will be easy to justly through pun intended. So Ever, since Sam was given cap Shield at the end of Endgame, people have said, oh, it's Sam Wilson. Was he have a Captain America? Yes, though it did take a long time for him to get there, but his connection to Captain America and specifically Steve Rodgers was there from the very beginning. He was one of the first black superheroes really with any prominence in Marvel Comics. In fact, Stanley actually introduced the Falcon at a chat at Duke University. His talk was titled Comics as a reflection of contemporary culture, and he expressed kind of the need to keep comics updated with social movements. Falcon's first appearance was in nineteen sixty nine and Captain America one seventeen, and from then on the characters just had this really deep connection. Steve was the one who encouraged Sam to take on the heroic mantle of Falcon, inspired by the wild bird that the Harlem resident had trained, because in the original comics, Sam essentially had a connection to birds that began as a non superheroic power and evolved into avian telepathy essentially, and the pair were actually so connected that in nineteen seventy one, just two years after Sam was first introduced, the publication title of the flagship Captain America book was changed to Captain America and the Falcon and stayed that way for seven years. Sam and Steve have long been best friends and compatriots and fellow heroes, with the pair in one of my favorite issues even apparently sharing a bed during Jack Kirby's Captain America one ninety three, where they debated slavery and civil war, and Sam basically just told Steve the real, real talk. It was late to confirmed by Marvel that they are in two beds that are just very close. But I don't know if I believe that their close relationship, along with Sam's heroism and kind of moral compass, led to a large segment of fans just constantly asking like, will Sam ever become Captain America? Because throughout the years, as we know, Steve Rogers has given it up, he has become nomad. We've seen people like US agent John Walker take over the mantle, but fans would often write in and be like, when will Sam take the mantle? What does Sam Wilson have to bring now? In the comics. I will say this is something I talk about a lot when we talk about Sam Wilson. Sam Wilson was originally a social worker, and I think that is something that I was kind of pained to see them take out of the movies, even though they play into it a little bit with him being a veteran and a counselor, but he was a social worker then, as many black comic characters deal with. There was some a really racist retcon where they made it that actually that was fake and he just said that to help Captain America and really he was a gangster named Snap Wilson and luckily that was really bad. Yes, there's some classically bad stuff. And then eventually it was brought back to him being a social worker and it was all to do with the Red skull Shenanigans in people. So he's had a really complicated road. But I will say something that's very cool is, as you notice from the mentions of the villains there, like Red, Red Skull and stuff, Sam is inherently a Captain America character, Like this is where he is and this was always going to be his path and if you can believe it. So he was introduced guys in nineteen sixty nine and it wasn't until twenty fourteen that he took on the mantle, and that was in the final issue of Rick Ramenda and Carlos Pacheco's Captain America run, where there was a momentous kind of sequence that would see the Avengers Endgame one. After Steve has turned into an old man far closer to the reality of his actual age than his Super Soldier serum version, he has to choose a new America Captain America, and alongside Peggy, he chooses Sam to take on the role, and then a month later all new Captain America, which had Stuart immanon legend on art duties with Remeenda writing, and that was kind of where we saw Sam Wilson as Captain America for the very first time. In twenty fifteen, Sam got a new series called Captain America Sam Wilson, helmed by controversial writer and failed politician Nick Spencer, leading into the much maligned Hydra cap Art arc where Captain America was a Nazi terrible stuff off and the fact that Sam was Captain America at all, that was really what mattered. And as he's now kind of taken on the mantle in the movies and the TV show, something that I think a lot of fans have always wanted is to allow black creatives in the space of Sam Wilson, which to that point was not the case. Both of Sam Wilson's Captain America stories then were written by white writers and no rememders. Kind of exploration was seen as relatively good one. In the Spencer series, you know, there were things like Sam Wilson has to go up against Black Lives Matter protesters or a team of superpowered Sjw's and luckily we've kind of seen even though there were critiques of the Sam Wilson representation as CAP in the TV show on Disney Plus, we were at least getting a black creative team telling these stories, and it looks like we are gonna get the same thing now and in the comics currently, we also do have Evan Narcis writing the Captain America Sam Wilson book, which is really fun plays into a lot of what we're gonna see in the movies with facing him off against Red Hulk, and yeah, if you've ever wondered, like, what are Sam's powers in the comics, well, originally he was non superpowered. Then it was revealed that he had superpowered telepathy towards birds, which is how he had red wing his falcon, and then that became telepathy to all birds. Fantastic. And then also one of my favorite things that I hope we see in the movie is he's a master martial artist because he was taught by none other than Captain America Steven he is in he's Stephen Rodgers, a famous judo master. Of course, peak human condition, peak human strength, he's basically the healthiest that you can be and he got just like in the MCU, he got his wings, and Black Panther was actually the one who supplied him with these kind of hard light wings. Tony Stark has helped him with that suit. And this is very interesting, I would be I would assume that the hood with the glasses is what's going to explain this. In the comics, he actually has like a cybernetic implant that allows him to kind of see what birds can see. In case you didn't know, I'm I'm a big fan of the bird part of Falcon. I feel like we haven't got into that enough. In the MCU, it's all drones, drones, drones, But I will be interesting to see the version of Red Wing that they attempt to do. Also in the comics, there was a time when Sam Wilson was insinuated to be a mutant and that's how he could speak to a good old Red Wing. But actually it was in the end connected to Red School's use of the cosmic Cube. And of course his number one paraphernalia and weapon is Steve Rodgers shield, which he now carries. So that basically takes us to how Sam Wilson became the beautiful hero known as the Falcon and eventually Captain America. I'm big Sam Wilson fan. He is a very important character, someone who has numerous incredible comic book appearances and who I hope will get his shine and his flowers in this movie as Captain America as he should have been, you know, since probably the seventies that should have happened. And now onto Thaddeus Ross aka the Red Hulk. Now this whiler. Yeah spoiler, oh yes, spoiler spoiler. Daddius Ross is an old, old old character first debuted in The Incredible Hulk number one from nineteen sixty two, created by Stanley and Jack Kirby, of course, and it would be you know, decades later that the Hulk's antagonist who was mostly just his antagonists because the Hulk was banging his daughter Betsy Ross. And years years later, in two thousand and eight, we would learn that there was a new Hulk, the Red Hulk or at the time, which I think is really funny. I don't think this stuck the Roulk. They tried that one, or the Incrediable Hulk with the big Red He's just Red Hulk. That was in volume two of the Hulk is Comics created by none other than Jeff Loeb and Ed McGuinness Ed McGinnis fantastic artist in Hulk number one. This was a massive moment because it has something that had actually been like seated and teased for a long time, because in the Incredible Hulk TV series there was a conversation that maybe there should be a red version of the Hulk who was an evil version, but that never happened, and then eventually jok Asada was like, let's introduce this scary new red Hulk, and nobody knew who he was. That was like the biggest thing about it was there was a very scary, new aggressive Hulk. He murders Hulk adversaries. He's murdering when the Wendigo, he's murdering the Abomination. He's destroying the Hellic Carrier of Shields, so he doesn't really have a side. He's essentially like a Godzilla esque force of nature. He's fighting his way through San Francisco, causing earthquakes and eventually is defeated by a team up of Hulk and Thor. Then we start to get other teams who are trying to work out who he is. People like the Collector, people like the Silver Surfer. I mean, the Red Hulk is so powerful that at one point in the comics he actually siphons the power Cosmic from the Silver Surfer, essentially, you know, killing him and then goes on the Silver Surface Board killing nay More, Tiger Shark, Doctor Strange, Baron Mordo, the Grandmaster Psychoman. I love Psychoman. That's a great poll and uh, but Galactus is like, that's not happening, takes away the power cosmic and everyone is born again. So then you start to work out, well, where did this Red Holk come from? Is this a gamma situation? Is it a different kind of event that caused the Hawk. No, Like every problem in the MCU and in the Marvel comics, pretty much every problem can be drawn back to one thing. People trying to recreate the super Soldier serum Jason Will.
Speaker 1: They have a stop super Soldier they have ever stopped.
Speaker 2: So you got This is what I think people don't really understand, especially in a modern era of comics where a lot of issues and a lot of series don't go past you know, five issues. It's a mini series. Maybe it's a limited series at best, with twelve it was two years later that we finally found out who Red Hulk was, which is pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: In the stretched it out like she thrung it out.
Speaker 2: They made him a very scary character. You know, we did have in two thousand and nine there was a Code Red story arc which was where we got Red chee h cool character.
Speaker 1: I like it, and they have those kind of overarching mysteries. They've done it a couple of times, obviously Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts is one of those, but I like when they do that, like who is the who could this new?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really really fun, and you could have comics that were going on long enough that at this time you could take two years to reveal it. So in a storyline that was called Full of the Hulk's Gamma, the Red Hulk is essentially revealed to have killed General Ross at the behest of Bruce Banner, shocking twist, making it seem like the pair were teamed up, but that was not true. What had actually had happened in the very beloved World Well Hulk's storyline, which was kind of the follow up to this, and I really like I think this storyline is really really fun it's Greg Park, it's Jeff Lob. It's not as iconic as like Planet Hulk or World Willhulk, the original one. But this is really fun because you get to find out that redche Hulk is actually Betty Ross and that, just like Nick Fury in the MCU, Dundbolt Ross was not actually killed, the version of him that was killed was actually a life model decoy, and that the real Red Hulk is actually Betty's dad, Dunderbolt Rock. And this is where we start to learn a little bit more about the Red Hulk and his powers. He is very very very very very powerful. But if he overheats, that's right, and then you end up in a situation where he can be exhausted, he can be beaten, and that will probably play into the movie as we see it.
Speaker 1: And that is the main difference. So Hulk Bruce Banner Hulk. He can syriically get as strong as he needs to get to fight anybody, depending on if he can get angry enough, if he has time to get angry exactly, so his strength increases with anger. Red Hulk. The angrier he gets, the hotter he gets. He gets really hot. He doesn't get strong, he's already like Hulk level strong, but his strength does not increase, the temperature of his body increases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And it's very very interesting because A I love this because it's basically comic book. It's very comic book kind of law and comic book, almost book like explanation. Why is he read? Oh he's just hot, you know. I love that. That's really really fun. But yeah, he is beaten by Hulk obviously, and he imprisons the Red Hulk in a Gamma base and then later he I mean, I'm just gonna say, guys, we could see this happen, so put an earmuffs over your ears if you don't want to spoiler. But Red Hulk essentially ends up joining the Avengers. I think here it would be more likely that we would get a kind of Thunderbolts version, especially seeing as Thunderbolt Ross Thunnibolt's wink wink, you know, nudge, nudge, check that one out. But essentially after that, the Red Hulk is more of a positive figure, at least the version of the sorry I should say, the Thunderbolt Ross version. There are multiple versions of the Red Hulk, but throughout the years he is always getting imprisoned, turned into a you know, helper on a team does something wrong, goes back, and that is essentially what you need to know about dunabout Ross aka the Red Hulk, who will be starring in this movie, and I'm very interested to see the version because in the comics, something that's very different about the Red Hulk too is he's very clever. He is essentially a smart Hulk or doctor Hulk or scientist Holk or whichever version you want to call it. He is uninhibited, He's incredibly tactical. He can plan anything, he can strategize anything. He is essentially like the kind of Hulk who would hold a gun. If you're somebody who loves Shadow the Hedgehog and you're like, oh, my favorite thing about Shadow the Hedgehog is like he holds a AK forty seven in the video games. That's very much the same energy as as Red Hulk. And it's gonna be really interesting to see where this goes. Jason, My biggest question to you, as somebody who knows these comics, well, who knows these characters, will the Red Hulk be the true antagonist of Captain America A brave New World?
Speaker 1: Great question, I think not. I think that, at least from the what I'm picking up in the trailer, it seems to me that Fatteus might not even have been aware that he had undergone whatever process that this is, or the true nature of it, because he looks pretty surprised to be turning into the Hulk.
Speaker 2: So he's like, wait a minute, Wait a minute, wait a minute, this sucks, Like this is mad.
Speaker 1: I'm very interested. We will be very interested to see how all this unfolds when Captain America Brave New World debuts in just two weeks.
Speaker 2: On February fourteenth. Valentine right O, Red Hulk. He's read romance. Guys.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it for this episode of X ray Vision. We will be covering Captain America Brave New World. So stay tuned for our reactions. Thanks for listening, I Bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our Discord moderator,