Speaker 1: What's like the one thing that you learn the most from your dad that you use in your life.
Speaker 2: Now, if a deal isn't good for both sides, then it's not a good deal. A one sided deal is eventually going to either fall apart or come back and haunt you. It's just not the way to do business. And my dad was a very fair man and didn't take advantage of people, and that's a carry in that tradition.
Speaker 1: I love that that was a fair trade with Luca thing. I guess, I mean it had to go there. GEDI welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we're on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. On today's episode, we are covering game six of the twenty twenty NBA Finals, Miami Heat versus the la Lakers, with co founder of Wow Women of Wrestling, La Icon and Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss. We get into talking Lebron James Bubble Championship.
Speaker 2: Lebron comes over and hugs me and whispers in my ear, I told you we would do this.
Speaker 1: What Kobe Bryant means to the Lakers.
Speaker 2: I know that Kobe knew how much we loved him.
Speaker 3: You can't replace that.
Speaker 1: And behind the scene of the Luca trade, it could.
Speaker 2: Blow up our season, so it was completely kept under wraps.
Speaker 1: And then we're checking in with Jackie in this week's chill Zone, presented by Whor's like you Gotta stick around to the very end. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: October eleventh, twenty twenty, ESPN Worldwide Sports Complex, Lake Bueno Vista, Florida.
Speaker 2: Uncertain times make for an unprecedented path to winning it.
Speaker 1: All, but one things for certain.
Speaker 4: Lebron James and the Lakers have banners seventeen in their sights.
Speaker 2: This is the banner seventeen games.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a very very special guest, the Queen of la the Queen of sport. We got Genie Buss in the nuthouse. Welcome to the nuthouse. In one sentence, why did we pick game six, twenty twenty NBA Finals eight versus Lakers game?
Speaker 2: Because that was the most recent one, most recent championship and a unique game because it took place in the bubble.
Speaker 1: Is it the greatest game of all time? No? I mean that's an integrity type score.
Speaker 3: But I think it's the most interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a very interesting game. I want to dive into it, but at first, can you walk us through the day to day life of an owner of an NBA team. I'm interested because I kind of know what the NFL is. You guys have so many less players. You have to have such intimate relationships with like all your players. What's your day to day life.
Speaker 2: Well, we like to color ourselves governors as opposed to owners, and I'm a co owner. It's my family's team, and we have other partial owners. But I'm the governor, which the governor means that you are responsible for every decision that is made by the team.
Speaker 3: You know, there's only one governor.
Speaker 2: There's only one governor, so you know, it's it is about, you know, putting out fires when things go wrong, and there's always something that goes wrong or never prepared for everything. But you know, I oversee the business operations, which includes broadcast, marketing, sponsorship, season seat sales, you know, social media, and then of course the basketball department, which would be responsible for putting together the roster, hiring the coach. You know, we're a particularly close team, and I think some of the things that we've gone through the last few seasons, especially most recently the fires in LA has you know, kind of put the friendships in an even more meaningful way because you realize how quickly you can lose things. And so our brand new coach, Jj Reddick, and you know, when we hired him, I was very excited. Clearly a basketball mind, great communicator, great competitor, you know, wants to win, super smart. And he had to move his family from Brooklyn and his wife and two young kids, and I'm not sure they were really excited about moving because he took the job. You know, they were already in school and you know, so now they have to uplift away from all their friends and come to LA. So they rent a house and it lost it in the fires. So you know, I was worried that his wife was going to say, Okay, I'm out, I'm done. I'm not this was not meant to be. But instead, it's like they realize, you know, they want to be part of.
Speaker 3: You know, rebuilding the community.
Speaker 2: And they've already you know, really taken their place in Laker you know, the Laker family, and you know, so you know, I do a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And when you talk about community and Laker I've been in La now for like fifteen years full time two years, and this is such a Laker town. Like that's the one thing, you know, because I'm a football guy. They always have a couple of football teams. They're bouncing back and forth. Baseball is pretty good. They love the Dodgers. But this is like such a Laker town. And it's so great to see how you guys are with the community because I watch the local news. You put on local news when you get older. I'm sitting there watching. I see you guys going to charity events, rebuilding stuff, and it's freaking like. The Lakers are La and it's awesome. I also have a really important question. I'm a podcast host. Do you think Patriots will probably gave me a shot at a head coaching title?
Speaker 3: Are you interested in that?
Speaker 1: No? I'm not not at all. Are you sure podcast head coach? I know?
Speaker 2: You know, Bob Craft was really really good friends with my dad. As a matter of fact, he credits my dad it to getting him involved in sports because the very first team that Bob Craft owned was a team called the Boston Lobsters, which was part of World Team Tennis and that was you know, my dad's first team was the La Strings World Team Tennis, a league that was started by Billy Jean King. And you know, through their friendship, every year on my dad's birthday until he passed away, Bob Craft would send him live lobsters from Boston, which.
Speaker 3: Was very cool.
Speaker 2: But he you know, they were talking about the Patriots for sale, and he called my dad and said, what do you think about that? And he said, absolutely, do whatever it takes to get the team.
Speaker 3: And so he got.
Speaker 2: He bought the Patriots history. He's a great honor an.
Speaker 1: He's an unbelievable guy. Like I love mister Kraft. We had a very special special relationship. I just want to thank you because it's because of your bloodline.
Speaker 2: That it's awful circle.
Speaker 1: It's awful circle. What's it like on an NBA team? Like and you you were born in this because you were eighteen when when your dad got the team. You've been around the team, You've had so many different roles in other sports to prepare you to become this. What's it like owning a goddamn what's the biggest perk? You got to have some crazy perks out here in La Do you know the tunnels? Is there underground tunnel system? I'm really interested in that. Is that? Is that real? I know you have you have a key?
Speaker 3: You mean underneath that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an underground tunnels. Yes, Jesus, what is it? How is it?
Speaker 2: I mean it was just so you can access across the street without having to leave the area and across the street.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's real.
Speaker 2: But I still don't understand why you don't want to be a coach? Can I talk you into it?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this right now. I love football, and I have a lot of great experience from football, and I have a lot of knowledge of the game because I learned from probably two of the greatest sports minds, three of the greatest sports minds in my sport, mister Craft as an owner, UH coach Belichick and Tom Brady as a competitor. So but I love I love the game. But I remember as a player, I would leave a twelve hour job, like twelve thirteen hours of putting my work in all day. Football is different. We're preparing all day because there's one game, so you're literally doing everything you can to perform your best for three hours on a Sunday. So I would leave after a fourteen hour day, and our coaches are in the parking lot seeing their family for the first time, and they would go back in for night meetings and that's the only time they would see their family. Now, when you're a coach, you sacrifice in so much. And I've put my time in and I've already had said those nose to my family, my daughter, my brothers, my sisters. I've set those nose for a long time. So like I enjoy football, I love football. I get my football fix on Fox promoting the game. And then I love learning about other people in their preparation process and their love of their sport. Like and I get to have my relationship with my kid where I'm still picking her up every day or you know, at school, I pick her up, take her you know when I have, So there's a there's a sacrifice. I love the time, but it's just you gotta you gotta have, you gotta have, Like coaches, I experienced winning at playing the game. Like, if you're a coach or someone and you love it like that and you're putting that much, do you got to have something wrong with you? A little. Those guys are nuts.
Speaker 2: How about just don't rule it out completely? And do you mentor any players?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: I do? I mean I talk with a lot of guys. Uh. Social media is awesome for that that specific. Yeah, Like you know, you hit a guy's story, a young player, he'll tap into you. And so it's a great way to communicate with young guys through that. I love. I love telling my story and giving what I felt helped me get to where I was at two guys, because that's all you really have once you leave the game, is the knowledge that you passed down to the other guys.
Speaker 3: Well, that sounds like a coach to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a podcaster.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so the perks you asked me, what are the perks of being give me back and forth the owner.
Speaker 1: You know you need a podcast?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: So my husband has a podcast, but and I was. I was a guest on his podcast.
Speaker 2: That's actually how we got anyway, So I I guess you know, I can sit.
Speaker 3: Anywhere I want.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding, you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's for me.
Speaker 2: It's about the fans, and it's about doing things the right way. The way we play the game. The type of players we have, you know, we look at you know, character, integrity, and it really is about putting together a team of talent. But by coming together as a team, they can and exceed their own expectations of what is it obtainable for their career. So it's you know, that's the part that I love is watching the success of a team coming together and sacrificing for each other in order to win. And you know, my dad, you know, I mean, I learned from the best owner, the most winningest owner of all time according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
Speaker 1: That's really good.
Speaker 2: And so you know, he talked about, you know, really people in our position, you know, our job is to give the team the resources to get to you know, get to the playoffs, win around or two. But to win a championship that comes from inside. That comes from diving for that loose ball, for you know, making that effort that you can't coach, that you can't it comes from within. And if you have that special you know, bond that players play for each other, then you know, the sky's the limit.
Speaker 1: That's when good things happen. A lot of perks. What's what's the annoying, the annoying part of being the governor. I mean, you don't make laws, but you got to enforce them, you know.
Speaker 2: I I think the part that kind of makes me crazy is when I you know, fans tell me you know what the coach needs to do or what players to trade for, and you know they're they It's kind of like, why are you telling me this? Because I mean, you couldnot like the coach or you cannot like a move that was made, but like by you telling me how to correct it, you're insulting the people that work for me. You know, I'm gonna be that's defensive about that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's got to be so much harder to be an owner nowadays because everyone has an opinion behind a keyboard that can somehow get picked up in another way. And there's just so many things coming from you and so many different directions with all the access to social media and the internet and everything. And now we're hitting AI. It's so gnarly. You talk with so much passion about your father, you know, and you can clearly tell that there was an unbelievable relationship, and you know you've been in this family, the Laker family pretty much along the existence of a lot of this What's like the one thing that like you learn the most from your dad that you use in your life.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, it's about if a deal isn't good for both sides, then it's not a good deal, right, Like you can't you know, a one sided deal is eventually going to either fall apart or come back and haunt you.
Speaker 3: It's just not the way to do business.
Speaker 2: And my dad was a very fair man and didn't take advantage of people, and that's a carry in that tradition.
Speaker 1: I love that that was a fair trade with Luca thing, I guess. I mean, it had to go there. You guys just got the best damn player at like twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: Look what we had to give up though, I know he's I mean, Anthony Davis, we want a championship.
Speaker 1: That's a great owner.
Speaker 2: Do you know how hard that was? We were not looking to trade Anthony Davis. Dallas contacted us and he'd been making it clear that he wasn't happy that he was having to.
Speaker 3: Play the five.
Speaker 2: He wanted to play the four, So it sounded like he was unhappy, and so, you know, I mean, it was a it was the deal that both sides wanted to make.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's a mega. That was a mega. That's like the biggest trade I've ever seen in all of sport, where you have two bases of the league swapping, and that's got to be awesome. And that's so exciting for the Lakers to have another young, prominent face. That's good. I think that's going to raise the Lakers even the higher levels because he's international.
Speaker 2: I didn't anticipate the global impact it would have. I mean, I knew it was gonna be a big story in the NBA, but that he really is a global superstar. And you know another story that I'd like to tell about my dad is my dad was one of the best poker players, amateur poker players in the world. He was on the Poker Tour for a while in nineteen ninety three, was Rookie of the Year on the Poker Tour. So he kept trying to teach me how to play poker. And I'm a terrible poker player because I don't have a poker face right like, I can't I can't bluff.
Speaker 3: I'm not a good liar.
Speaker 2: And he kept trying and trying to find on this, Like, Dad, why are you doing this to me? I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm never going.
Speaker 2: To be good and he goes, he goes, well, I'm just I'm trying to teach you something.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: A lot of people think that poker is about, you know, like, you know, bluffing, and you know, he said, it's not. It's a game of patience and you have to wait until you have the cards. And he said, and I know you can get that part of it, he said, but once you get the cards, you got to be able to go from zero to one hundred in a drop of a hat. And he goes, I'm not sure you can do that. And so you know, when we traded for Anthony Davis, we had to trade all of our young players plus draft picks Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and draft picks. I knew right then, that's what he meant, Like, Okay, here's here's the moment of truth. Genie can get Anthony Davis. But you got to put your cards in. You gotta you know, this is it. And you know we did that. We got Anthony Davis and that led us to a championship. So I think he his lesson was learned.
Speaker 1: Man. You know, my dad's still around, but I still have my dad's head in my anytime I'm making a decision, I just hear my dad like like the same way the lessons that he taught me. And that's so I just that's touching. You know you still use it now. How big is this move going forward?
Speaker 3: You mean the trade?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, we I think we need to get the right players around him.
Speaker 3: I think we have.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting to watch him play with Lebron. We don't have enough of a sample size yet, but wow, this kid can pass the ball like he sees the game like no one I've ever It's it's you know, I really had no idea how great of a mind he has for basketball.
Speaker 3: So it's exciting.
Speaker 2: But people got to remember he hadn't played in months. He'd been out with an injury, so he's he's going to have to like acclimate to, you know, playing full time again. And he didn't play last night we played in Portland. We won, so all that part is good. But I think there's just gonna be it's gonna be a lot of fun. Our fans are already the static static going crazy.
Speaker 1: See Luca jerseys everywhere in Brentwood. It's crazy again how they make those already?
Speaker 2: And I love that he wears seventy seven because we've never had like if he, you know, was wearing twenty four, it's like, sorry, you can't wear twenty four, it's retired. But seventy seven, we've never had a seventy seven.
Speaker 1: He's got his own. Yeah, it's just it's waiting to happen. Now, how does this move happen? In the front office, the Mavericks call you. Are you sitting there like scratching you? Like, how does this go down? Do? They call the GM? And then they contact you and they tell you what's.
Speaker 2: Going, Like, hey, you know the timeline started, you know, just because you'll never forget that day, January seventh, the Lakers were in Dallas and that was the night that the fire started. Yeah, so I was, you know, watching the fires, but also watching the game, and it was you know, Luca was out, I think Kyrie was out, and you know, I'm like, oh, good, an easy win, you know, like we can win this game. And of course the players were all watching their phones because they didn't know what was happening, you know, especially JJ. You know, his wife had to evacuate, so it's like they were completely distracted from the game. And at that point, that's when Rob was at our GM. Rob Polinka was at the game and he met with the GM of the Dallas team and they had a conversation and Rob thought about it for a day and then came to me and said, here's something that was kind of talked about, a framework.
Speaker 3: And I said, well, I hope you.
Speaker 2: Told him that we're not trading Anthony Davis, like that's not you know, we're not trading him. And as then we talked more and more we figured out a framework that could work, and then the rest went on. And I said, what's the most important thing is that if this, if the conversations become public, it could blow up our season because now you have a player who thinks.
Speaker 3: They're going to get traded.
Speaker 2: It's hard for them to recalibrate, so you know what that's like. So it was completely kept under wraps, and I think that that's why it took everybody by such surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that that's gonna be tough, Like what a resilient group though, for like the players looking at their phone. I was glued to the TV for six days straight. Shout out to all the news stations in LA. I was like glued this thing. They had the they had the maps and stuff so you could see the road with the live pictures. That was a crazy time.
Speaker 2: Well, unfortunately, and this shows maybe the lack of our you know, preparedness from at the government level, was that we were finding out our information from the news, not from any official It was like there was a lack of leadership unfortunately. And I agree with you the news people they're out there, there's embers flying, like how does their hair not catch on fire?
Speaker 1: They were going nut. That was a That was a cool time for the community during a very horrific time that I saw for the first time this community come together. That was like my first experience of the LA community coming together to help people that were in need. The responders people helping people that were from other eight neighborhoods that weren't affected and helping given time and food. I mean, it was it was pretty scary. But jump in and and talk about the hiring process of a guy like JJ Reddick, like that is a splash because young gun obviously brilliant mind coming from TV. Now are we we hearing pops in the brain when we're doing these are these these moves where like we gotta how did how did that process go down?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's kind of like what you have to do is you have to decide, you know, what kind of team, what kind of you know, what style of play you want to play, and then you hire the coach that fits that, and you fill the roster with players that mirror that style.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like it's kind of like the most important decision you make and then all the decisions, you know, fall into.
Speaker 3: Line from there.
Speaker 2: And you know, I had told our general manager, you know, I want you to find, you know, a coach that you know, mirrors what is important to you in basketball, and I want you to to think differently, Like don't you know, just do what the safe bed is, you know, somebody you know, just like just give yourself the opportunity to like think outside the box, you know, to use a cliche.
Speaker 3: So, you know, we.
Speaker 2: Started conversations with.
Speaker 3: Dan Hurley.
Speaker 2: Yukon which I'm sure you know him.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: JJ and you know, Rob was impressed with both of them. Both of them had a philosophy that matched his philosophy, and you know, we kind of went on a parallel path, and you know, the Dan Hurley path didn't work out, and so we pivoted to JJ and had him meet with key people in the organization and he just kept impressing everybody. And you know, it's certainly a risk when you hire someone who's never been a head coach. And he was very, you know, very forthcoming about like I don't have experience as a head coach, So you know, I need coaches on my staff that are going to help, you know, shore up what I don't know. So we have probably the best coaching bench in the league in Scottie Brooks and Nate McMillan, you know, who've had tons of experience and tons of success in the NBA. And you know, it all just came together the right way. The one concern I had was, you know, his wife is going to say, no way, I'm not moving to l Yeah. They had just built a home, they had just built a home in Brooklyn, and you know she jumped on board.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's a it's been a great little move. Like he's like for me, I love former players that become head coaches. We just did that with the Patriots with Mike Rabel. Guys that have performed at a high level know what the locker room's about, but that are also brilliant minds. Like I'm sure guys that played with JJ thought he was going to be a coach because he seems like whenever he talks about basketball, he knows, like all the x's and o's. That's a football term. Do they use it for basketball?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Maybe all the x's and o terms. Like he just is one of those brilliant minds. But he also can communicate with the young fellows because he's been in that locker room as such an early like not that far removed. So I think it's amazing. You gotta tell me about the Forum back in the day. What was the vibe like?
Speaker 2: It was exactly what the eighties were all about.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I walked down those hallways because we did the roast at the Forum. Oh that's right, So we did the roast at the Forum. He walked down these and this is my first time at the Forum. I walked down these hallways and I see all these pictures. You see the pictures of all the stars that have been there, that played there, and there's just like an aura about the Forum because you're in the parking lot of the other place. And then with the Forum, it just it's a it's a landmark. You walk in there. We went and saw I just took my daughter to Billie Eilish there. Oh it was rocking. Well, like that had to be. Did that help you with your experience a learning pro ownership, all that experience that you had doing all the Forum stuff and all your other leagues.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a very important experience for me. I ran the Forum for five years in the nineties and that I need. I needed that experience for the position that I'm in now, because you know, when you operate a venue, you're dealing with the unions, the people, the box office, you know, the food and beverage, customer service. And it was security, security, it was really good. And the Forum is just one of the most beautiful buildings ever built. And if you notice, the Forum is built halfway underground so that it's not this big behemoth that sits on top of the grounds. It's it's beautiful to look at. Yeah, well, the whole thought my dad didn't build it. Jack can Cook built it. And his thought was when people walk into the building, half of them are going to walk downstairs. Like I'm sitting in the front row. I'm in the downstairs section right. That's it was all marketing. And I'm glad that your daughter is a Billie Eilish fan.
Speaker 1: She's cool, She's really cool. When we're talking about eating lunch girls lunches and stuff, it's a little a little too much for an eight year old, But dad, try to be cool. We will hit the concert of what there's got to be what's the funnest memory you have of the Forum?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so many, gotta.
Speaker 1: Be one crazy story.
Speaker 2: You know what it just pops in my mind is that, you know, my dad was the first, you know owner to have the Laker Girls, you know, and and you know, people ask me, why isn't there a male dancer with the Laker Girls. And the whole point that he made about having a dance squad was that when the men play, they're the center stage. When they take a break, now it's the women's turn to be center stage. So it was all about equal opportunity and giving women the chance to perform in front of a huge audience. And so one of the very first Laker Girls was a girl by the name of Paula Abdul and because she yeah, so this is that's how she was discovered because she did a lot of the choreography for the Laker Girls. And at that time, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, all the Jacksons would come to Laker games and they liked the way the Laker Girls danced, and they hired Paula to do the choreography for their music videos and then that led to her music career.
Speaker 3: So it's it's stuff like that that like it was.
Speaker 2: Just kind of the whole world came together for Laker games and the show. It's a show, it's showtime.
Speaker 1: It's like when I went there, I didn't realize they don't even dim. They dim all the crowd. It's like one of the only places that does that because they want everything on the show. It's like the damn circuses in town or something you get excited with.
Speaker 2: Like boxing matches.
Speaker 3: That's what they do.
Speaker 2: It's like, this is what you're everybody focused on.
Speaker 1: How cool is that that story about doctor b Us giving the girls the whole floor. This is their time to shine. Hey, the boys go sit down and get some water. Let the girls get a little shine exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's where it's like, like, why are like, and you know, we do pay the girls to money to rehearse, to do everything.
Speaker 3: It's the teams that you know, don't do that that I think.
Speaker 2: It's it's not fair to you know, because girls, you know, they they have to sacrifice to be there, to practice, to be a Laker girl, so they should.
Speaker 3: Be compensated for their time.
Speaker 2: And so but why they started canceling the girls the women's dance teams is I don't understand it because it's it's equal time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never even thought of that. That's like such a great perspective. How how hard was it to leave the Forum and go to the Staples Center.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's awful.
Speaker 2: It was like I remember getting in a fight with a fan who said, I don't want to drive down to downtown La. I want my same seed at the Forum, And I said, well, you could have your same seed at the Forum, but the Lakers won't be there.
Speaker 1: So it's.
Speaker 2: It's like and when you when the fans are upset with a building, like the hot dogs taste bad. They complain about everything, right, and so I recommend everybody moving into a new arena that win a championship that first season, because then all the complaining goes away, so that you know, of course, that's exactly what happened. Lakers had hired Phil Jackson as the coach, we had Shack, we had Kobe, We won a championship, and the fans never looked back, like you know, they were worried about losing the mojo that the Forum had and that will never win in an new building. Well we did, and we won three in a row as well.
Speaker 1: Fack, that's crazy because that's what mister Craft did. Maybe you took another page out of your dad's book. We won a championship after we left Foxboro Stad. This scripted, Genie is this.
Speaker 2: Script the universe has it.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break. All right, let's let's let's jump into our segment where we go back in the time of when the game took place and we go over to pop culture. This game took place October eleventh because of the COVID season. This is weird timing. This is like literally what saved COVID was being able to watch these damn things. Twenty twenty number one movie, which this everyone was just glued to their screens of some sort. But you couldn't go anywhere. This was This was a weird year, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean I wasn't. I had to do I was still playing, and I remember we had to get tested every day. You guys did the Bubble, which I think would have been kind of cool. It'd been like summer camp if you think about it, you know, but the routines and stuff of the twenty twenty was so terrible. Number one movie, The War with Grandpa? Is that? Have we heard of that one?
Speaker 6: The real pop culture thing here is Queen's Gambit.
Speaker 1: That was the best one. Everyone was playing chess in the locker room after this.
Speaker 6: You were just playing checkers.
Speaker 1: Then now I could play some chess.
Speaker 6: Last Dance was released around this time too, That.
Speaker 1: Was also that was huge. What did you think about that? We need?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: I knew I knew. What happened was that last year. They knew the Bulls were going to break up because they had the Bulls management had told Phil Jackson, this is your last year. We don't care if you want a championship, You're.
Speaker 3: Not coming back. So they knew that. They that's why they called.
Speaker 2: It the Last Dance. This is our last time together. And so NBA Entertainment, being smart, said, hey, if this is going to be your last year, can we film everything and then we'll lock the footage in a vault for twenty years and no one will see it so that everybody by the time it comes out, everybody will be retired, so there won't create any animosity because everybody will be out of the game. And so there it was twenty years later. You couldn't ask for better timing for it to come out, because it was everybody wanted to They were so hungry for something new, and it was all footage that had never been seen before.
Speaker 1: NBA TV. Is it what it's called? The Is that there, NBA Entertainment, NBA Entertainment, Yeah, locked away for an a vault twenty years. I actually recently just looked out. It's kind of reminded me of when I wrote a letter to myself in eighth grade that I got it when I was going to graduate. It was like, hopefully you're going to the NFL. You're you're graduating from the University of Miami with the national championship, and uh, you're happy. So Braxton Barrios is living Braxton Barrios is living my life. Now champions you guys want it this year? Aaron Rodgers Giannis this huh be honest, the Greek freak. Now, what are your thoughts on all the international players, Like, there's no American guys. Like the last NBA m v p s, they've all been international people.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a global.
Speaker 1: I think as an American player, for me, like, I'm like, boys, let's get let's get on the asphalt, let's get better. We gotta get it going. What was life like for Jeanie Buss in twenty twenty You were in the bubble.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean I'd like to kind of go back to how that season started, back to you know, the off season of you know, twenty nineteen we made the trade to get Anthony Davis. Yeah, so now we have this new player that comes in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Every couple of years.
Speaker 2: You're required to go play overseas, and you know that's happening in every sports league that you have to go overseas. So this that year October of twenty nineteen, we were scheduled to be in China.
Speaker 1: So logistics for that as an owner.
Speaker 3: It's awful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I mean, that's that's it's a big burden to put on a team.
Speaker 1: You got to bring like six hundred people.
Speaker 2: And so now we are flying over to China. The team I stayed in la but our GM a bunch of executives are with the team and a tweet comes out from another executive in our league that talks about freeing Hong Kong from you know, the rule of you know, yes, and it didn't sit well.
Speaker 3: And so as the team's flying.
Speaker 2: Over there, they land and now the decision has been made by the Chinese government that they are no longer going to televise the games that we've flown all the way over there. They did allow us to televise them back to our country, but that's the whole reason you go is to like celebrate, you know, the NBA and China. And now they they you know, took down. There was no mention of the games. They still allowed us to play the games. They even thought about not allowing fans to attend the games. So it was very intense because our players kind of they didn't understand what was going on because there was there was literally they watched them take down all the banners of the players, the advertisements.
Speaker 3: It was. It was intense and.
Speaker 2: You know, thankfully they got back safely. But during that time, Anthony Davis got injured, injured his thumb, and you know, so the season didn't get off to the right start. Once we got back home, the team did start to gel and you know, we were doing really well, and for me personally, in December of twenty nineteen, my mother passed away and very suddenly. And I remember them calling me and saying because she was an assisted living and she's they said, we're going to transport your mom to the hospital because she's having trouble breathing it and she went so quickly, like I couldn't even get.
Speaker 3: There in time.
Speaker 2: And it makes me think that that might have been the beginning of COVID, right, because they talked about how people all of a sudden they can't breathe, and then they passed like that, and so that was, you know, hard on me. Then a couple of weeks later, David Stern passed away, and then a couple of weeks later, Kobe and Gig passed away. So this all happened in the matter of December and January, and it was just really difficult to process all of what happened. When Kobe passed, we asked the league if if we get you know, we had a game the next day against the Clippers, and our organization was in such shock. We couldn't function and we had to bring in grief counselors. It was it just what I what I can't get over was how our fans they didn't know where to go and so they they just went to the arena because everybody needed to be together, and it was it was like we were lost, like we just it just it was so hard to comprehend this loss. And you know, I mean it's still hard to accept five years later, but.
Speaker 3: You know it, it.
Speaker 2: Just really struck me how important the team. We started this whole comversation about community and what a team means to the fans, and it showed me this is like our strength, this is what brings everybody together, is under the purple and gold umbrella, and how they process the good times when we're winning, but also process the devastating news and you know, the Clippers were very nice and agreed to postpone the game. But then we eventually had to get back to basketball. So we played January thirty first, and Lebron addressed the crowd and he gave such a moving speech about how we have to lift each other up and that through the game of basketball is how we cope with our grief, and that he said, I have I have big shoulders, Let me carry you, let me climb on board, like we're going to get through this together.
Speaker 3: And you know, that just.
Speaker 2: Made you know, made me realize his ability as a leader, and for him to articulate all of what we were feeling and what we needed to hear was beautiful.
Speaker 3: And you know, so we get back to basketball.
Speaker 2: We're doing really well. We won nine of the next ten games, and you know, we're looking great. And then at the beginning of March, you know, you're hearing stuff about COVID now.
Speaker 3: And you know kind of what's happening, and when you are in a.
Speaker 2: Business where you interface with the public, you know that you bring people together. We were monitoring it very closely. But then there was you know, famous press conference with Rudy Gobert where he kind of challenged Covid to come get him, and sure enough, the next day the league shut down. And at first it was going to be like for a week, you know, until we figure this out. All everyone thought, yeah, and then it became two weeks. Then it became you know, it was like, are we ever going to finish this season? And as time went on, the isolation was unbearable because we were dealing with the loss of Kobe and Gig And I remember I would wake up and I'd been crying in my sleep.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know that.
Speaker 2: Was physically possible, but it was just so the sadness was was so overbearing, and the idea that we couldn't come together as a community, it was like the total opposite. We had to isolate and be disconnected. And then of course zooms and you know, thankfully they that gave you a little bit of comfort to see other people and talk about how you were feeling, and you know, the last dance and you know, just things that you know, sports could you know, soothe you take you out of your head. So then the league came up with the idea of salvaging the season by creating this bubble. It really was brilliant, but it was a huge sacrifice because now you're taking everybody away from their families and they have to commit to being We were in the bubble for like ninety days, like that's months and months, and that's a huge sacrifice that the players had to make. And they were able to figure out, Okay, we'll take the twenty two teams out of thirty that looked like they were going to make the playoffs, and then we'll created this schedule and you know, I mean, it was it was something, and you know, the players union agreed to it, and we took off for Orlando, and so you know, they get that going because now when they get to Orlando, they've got a sequester for two weeks before they can all come together. I mean, it's just it was so complicated how they did it, but it was it was the only way to make sure that you would have a pristine, you know, area that would not get infected. And so they started playing and doing all of that, and then there was a police shooting in Wisconsin of a person by the name of Jacob Blake, and.
Speaker 3: It was again another.
Speaker 2: You know, seemingly you know, police shooting for no reason for you know, and everything stopped again. The players wanted to decide if they wanted to continue to play or not. And mind you, they're worried about their families back home, and this was exactly the kind of things that they were worried about. And so the bubble was fragile, and the players asked to meet with all the governors on a zoom call, and you know, it was a conversation that needed to be had in order for the players to feel that we were partners with them in you know, wanting things to change. And you know, the players agreed to resume playing again. So after another four days break, we came back and played the games, and the Lakers were playing great, and the playoffs started, and I kept saying, well, I'll come to the bubble if if it looks like we, you know, might go far on the playoffs. So eventually I joined the team in Orlando and we kept winning and we found ourselves in the championship against the Miami Heat with Jimmy Butler and of course my idol.
Speaker 3: Pat Riley.
Speaker 2: And you know, I had mixed feelings about having to go against Pat because you know, he's kind of.
Speaker 1: Like family, like family, right We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's let's jump into it and break down the teams real quick and let us jump into the game.
Speaker 7: Also, the Miami Heat went forty four and twenty nine this year. If they're twelve season't under Eric Spolstra. This was their first season without Dwayne Wade since the two thousand and two two thousand and three season and the prior season back in July twenty nineteen, they traded for Jimmy Butler. This was also Tyler Hero's rookie season. Tyler hero Hey culture pat Rise.
Speaker 6: The main takeaway from the Heat here.
Speaker 1: What's a fun pat Riley's story? When you were probably like a little kid. But how was he as a coach?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he really kind of backed his way into being a coach. I mean, he wanted to be a coach, but he was. You know what happened was he was he was the color commentator with chaquern on the broadcast. We had hired a coach who had an accident at the start of the season, so his assistant coach had to take over for him, and at that time he only had one assistant coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was the olden days.
Speaker 2: And they needed to phill the assistant coach spot. So Paul west Head said, how about pat Riley Because he's been with the team, he's watched practice, he was at training camp.
Speaker 3: He would be a good fill in.
Speaker 2: So Pat became the assistant coach under west Head. We won a championship that year, but then west Head wanted to change the offense. Magic Johnson didn't like that. West Head was let go and pat Riley became.
Speaker 3: The head coach.
Speaker 2: And I'll never forget because you know, I'd known Pat when he was, you know, just the radio guy. And I was walking down the hallway one day and his nickname was Ryle's, like that's what you call, like, hey Ryles. He stopped stop me, He said, call me coach. I'm coach now. And that's when he like started slicking back his hand, you know, like he knew, like everybody knows me as this, I have to like now command respect as the coach, So everybody needs to think of me as coach. So from then on I called him coach.
Speaker 1: So he went, Gordon, getto From then on, ye, slick back, is he the best dressed.
Speaker 2: Guy in It's like he was like the most handsome. That'stra I mean he was.
Speaker 3: He was La for sure.
Speaker 1: Freaking pat Riley Ryles. I'm not called. I'm calling. Let's jump into the the Lakers.
Speaker 6: They went fifty to nineteen.
Speaker 7: This is their first season under Frank Vogel, second season of the Lebron James era in Los Angeles. In the off season, as you mentioned July twenty nineteen, the Lakers trader for Anthony Davis.
Speaker 1: What makes Lebron special? You told the story about him and his leadership post Kobe after that through this run, what when did you say, Like this guy is a bad man in a great way, like bad man meaning good man.
Speaker 2: Just watching him work like in practice, I mean, it just it doesn't it's it's hard to comprehend what he does, yeah, at his age, and that he's hungry for it, and that he works so hard because there's no shortcuts for this guy. It's Kobe esque, yeah, but in a different way. You know, Like he he's just I mean, he's his his physique, he's like a train. Like he's just so strong you can't stop him. There's if I saw him coming at me, I'd be like, oh my god, scream.
Speaker 3: I'd be sc sick, Harry.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's probably what ninety percent of the league says, exactly, what's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of this team?
Speaker 2: Well, here's here's you know, I will say that I kind of came from the philosophy, you know, kind of inspired by Phil Jackson that when a team wins a championship, they should have the right to defend their championship. And we didn't do that and I regret that. And one of the players on the list that Markuith Morris just rejoined the team in the in.
Speaker 3: The trade for Luca.
Speaker 2: He was one of the players that came and I told him, I said, I'm really sorry that we didn't get a chance for you to defend that championship. And I'm really glad you're here.
Speaker 3: And you know, so.
Speaker 2: We just you know, obviously didn't win a championship the following year.
Speaker 1: But that's still like the year you guys had going into this. It's like storybook ending stuff. Yeah, this is storybook ending.
Speaker 2: LA needed that need it. LA was heartbroken over the loss of Kobe and this and you know, there was one play that AD won a game I think against in the Denver series where he hit a shot at the buzzer and he screamed Kobe's name and everybody heard it because there was no fans, but everybody could hear it on the microphone, picked it up and it was That's how we all felt.
Speaker 3: This was for Kobe.
Speaker 1: What does Kobe mean to Lakers organization.
Speaker 2: Because he he came and played twenty years for one team. That made him very special because he could have easily been traded and chased rings or whatever. But he went through one rebuilding period after winning three, you know, we traded Shack to Miami, kind of hit bottom for a couple of seasons, but then pau Gasol came and he won two more. So I think that that really endears a player to fans because they stick with it, they stick with their team, and you know, he loved the Lakers, and the Laker fans loved him. And you know, I talk about how glad that we had the opportunity because we retired both his numbers. He wore eight and twenty four, And if you just took his career as number eight in his career while wearing twenty four, both of those players would have gone in the Hall of fame. So we decided to retire both his numbers, and we had an opportunity to celebrate him while he was still alive.
Speaker 3: And I know that.
Speaker 2: He Kobe knew how much we loved him and appreciated him.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite memory of him? Your story? Like you know, what's what's the one thing like your happy place?
Speaker 2: You know? He he was somebody that you know, after my father passed away, he saw that I struggled, and you know, he was always trying to cheer me on. And you know, I was, you know, with Phil Jackson for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: And when Phil took.
Speaker 2: The job to go to the New York Knicks, the NBA literally made us sign a you know, an agreement that he and I would not talk about basketball because there cahoots, right and you know, but when two brothers are running two different teams or you know, it's something about the male female relationship, which I don't know how fair that is, but anyway, that kind of became that kind of eroded my relationship because he was in New York, I was in LA.
Speaker 3: But when Phil laughed, he said, you know, I want.
Speaker 2: You to know I can't help you anymore like you can't call me and bounce ideas off of me. But you always have Kobe, and Kobe will always have your back. You know you can trust Kobe, and you know Kobe was that friend for me and you can't replace that.
Speaker 1: No, sorry for bringing it up.
Speaker 3: No, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I love to talk about Kobe always.
Speaker 1: I can see how much you care about him through how you answer your questions and how big of an impact his career had with the Lakers. It's it's it's very touching. It's crazy. Everyone remembers that day, you know, if you're a sport fan or any kind of fan, anyone, everyone remembers that day.
Speaker 2: Well, in Luca's press conference once he was traded here, he said this, the only thing that would make this better is if Kobe and GG were here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So even he he understands, Yeah, he understands. You know, the Lakers, you guys have so many great players, and I you don't want to miss any of them. We got to do like a word association. We got to do to word association. First word that comes up to your mind when we bring up a player, Chack goofy, goofy.
Speaker 2: He loved to like play ranks.
Speaker 3: Do you know he just it's like a big kid.
Speaker 1: Kareem brilliant mind, brilliant magic.
Speaker 2: His smile could light up you know, los Angeles like he he.
Speaker 3: He and Los Angeles are soulmates.
Speaker 1: Lebron tough, Phil Zen, your dad.
Speaker 2: He loved this team, He loved this He's just synonymous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, synonymous. Yeah, let's break down this game.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 7: The season was suspended on March eleventh, twenty twenty, after all one hundred and forty one days. The season returned July thirty first in Walt Disney, twenty two teams went to the Bubble. The Bubble consisted of thirteen Western Conference teams and nine Eastern Conference teams. They would play eight regular season games to nail down playoff seedings. And there was also a play in game on August thirteenth between the Portland Portland and Memphis that would go want to play the number one seed Lakers not to start the tournament and the Miami wore the fifth seed from the East.
Speaker 1: And this is post Dwayne Wade Game five, the game play this thing. It was kind of a BLOWOUTI or Game six. It's kind of a blowout, wasn't it? When did you know the game was kind of because you guys went up twenty and then they came back and then it got when did you feel all right, I'm getting we're getting it. It's in it. It's in the bag, yeah, like by.
Speaker 2: The second half. But can we go back to game five? Because well, I mean we don't have to. I mean it's just that Game five we lost and I wore my best outfit.
Speaker 1: Thinking what was the outfit?
Speaker 2: I don't remember, but it was like, you know that I've thought, okay, I'm going to be accepting the trophy because we win.
Speaker 1: And like, did you have a did you have a.
Speaker 2: It was my better outfit? Like my outfit that I wore. I mean, I'm in the bubble. There's no you can't go shopping, there's no I've been there for weeks.
Speaker 1: You know, and I recycled. What did you do for the next outfit?
Speaker 2: I just you know, I just wore a blazer and a shirt. I mean it was like I had a better outfit for gam there I wore it for I mean, yeah, so it reminds.
Speaker 1: Me of like you have a good hair day for a man, you don't want it. You have to shower you don't want to shower because it'll mess up the hair and you're never going to be able to get that hair like that. Again, that's my hair.
Speaker 3: I had a bad hair day too.
Speaker 1: Hair day. Well, what was the day like in the bubble? Like pregame? What's your pregame?
Speaker 2: It's like there's nothing to do in the buffet. Yeah, there's like there's like they had a menu, but there was like three things on it. Oh yeah, So like you're eating.
Speaker 3: The same thing every day.
Speaker 2: You're having the same conversations because it's only you know, like fifty people there.
Speaker 1: You didn't send someone to go get you little Jimmy Butler coffee that he was selling in there. I heard was slanging coffee with me.
Speaker 2: But they they kept you so far apart, like you just couldn't. It wasn't like a party. It was like just go to your room, Go.
Speaker 5: To your room.
Speaker 3: It was awful.
Speaker 1: Now, the atmosphere inside when they had like the fans and the fake fans and you know what I mean, how was that had to be almost like a practice.
Speaker 3: It was bizarre.
Speaker 1: When we were playing our games, we played in empty stadiums, and I remember playing in Seattle and it reminded me of like reminded me of high school football when you were scrimmage scrimmaging against another team because you could hear we could hear them making their calls. You know, you could hear the coach, their coaches on the sideline. You can never hear any of that. It was just like all you heard was like the love of the game, which there was something special about that, you know. Was it like that for basketball? All you hear is just yes, that's all you hear it because there's no surrounding noise.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: So you guys have it in the bag. You have your second best outfit. Yeah, did you have something prepared for afterwards to say the team? Yeah? I had.
Speaker 2: I had my speech and you know, written out and that's like your Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like I, you know, I.
Speaker 2: It was really important to me to get that right because that's you know, that's what the governor does. And if you notice in my speech, you know, I talk about the fans and how it was really for them and that we were going to bring the trophy.
Speaker 3: Back to LA where it belongs.
Speaker 2: And so now I'm done with my speech and normally the commissioner would hand you the trophy, right, but we were like everybody was like eight feet apart, so so you know, that part didn't happen. And I didn't want to walk over and pick up the trophy myself and I so I said to the players, that's your trophy. You pick it up, like I'm not going to hand it to you, Like I don't need the photo of me holding the trophy. So I like, if you notice I never hold the trophy. I walk over to the team and Lebron comes over and hugs me and whispers in my ear. I told you we would do this. This, you know, this is what we This was our goal and we did it. Like enjoy this moment, and that was really you know, he's done it a few times. Yeah, I better practice at it that I did.
Speaker 1: It's something different though in your Laker I mean it's it's it's the Lakers. Yeah, there's the Celtics Lakers. That's basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now like we win seventeen, now we're tied with Boston in terms of championships, but then they went one number eighteen before we did.
Speaker 1: So we'll get there more, it'll get it'll get there. So the clockhead zero.
Speaker 6: Lakers wearing one six ninety three clockhead zero.
Speaker 1: First thing you think about.
Speaker 3: Do I go over and give pat Riley a hug?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And I didn't. I mean I felt bad, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's hard you talk.
Speaker 1: You talked about it about sport being so much about relationship, and I mean the relationship that you've had with pat Riley and the success that you guys those memories to see after the game, in between the lines. During the game, everyone we want to kill you, but the aftermath, like that's when you you appreciate your competitor and that real human side comes where you're like, oh man, but it was you know, did you hug them? No?
Speaker 3: I did not hug up, and I felt bad, but.
Speaker 1: It was still kind of weird to hug people.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, yes, And we were all still wearing masks until we got down.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about, what would you talk about Lebron hugging you. I was like, man, people probably got so scared about that during COVID, like people touching.
Speaker 2: But just recently I had the wonderful opportunity to be on a Zoom call with a bunch of our former Showtime players and surprise, pat Riley with the announcement, our next statue is going to be pat Riley that we're going to have at Crypto.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 3: So, so we're in good. We're in good.
Speaker 2: You know, our relationship is still great.
Speaker 1: That statue garden, by the way, it's cool, right, I mean that thing is awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's the threshold to get in the statue?
Speaker 2: There really isn't yet, but like pat Riley, you know, just you know, so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people want to see it.
Speaker 1: Let's put a bow on this game.
Speaker 7: So, as we mentioned, the Lakers won their seventeenth NBA championship. This is the eleventh for the Bus family and first Regina Number Trail as governor.
Speaker 6: And the Celtics have won five since the Bus took over.
Speaker 7: Everyone likes to do Celtics, Celtics Lakers, but five to eleven, let's go.
Speaker 1: He's from Boston too, and I'm a hockey guy.
Speaker 6: You don't want to hear right thing?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 7: And this was the longest season in NBA history, three and.
Speaker 6: Seventy seven days.
Speaker 1: Much needed though. We needed this because there was no entertainment. Everyone was so bored out of all the same streaming stuff. That's what's awesome. About sport, brings brings people together.
Speaker 6: There's only so much Tiger King you can watch.
Speaker 7: Lebron James won Finals MVP and got his fourth ring and moved the first and career playoff games with two hundred and sixty. The Lakers and the Dodgers both won a championship this year, and then in twenty twenty four, LA hired JJ Redick as head coach.
Speaker 1: That's the aftermath, and so.
Speaker 2: I was the first female govin or to win a championship.
Speaker 1: Freaking go.
Speaker 2: My first thought was who's going to be the next? Who's going to.
Speaker 1: Be the next? I mean your first thought, who's going to be the next? And you're also the first female and first owner in general to win the in tournament in season tournament. Yeah ever, yeah that'll go down.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That was cool too.
Speaker 1: Let's score this game, so the last thing before everything, we score the game and we see where it stands on all the games that we've done. Because the reason for this show is determined, what's the greatest game of all time? Let's name the game banner seventeen game. These are some that we came up with. If you have a name that you want to name the game. You can name it as well, South Beach versus Sunset, the Bubble Banner, Bubblicious balling in the Bubble Love, Bubble Championship, or any anyone that you have that comes up to your mind.
Speaker 3: It's like Banner seventeen.
Speaker 1: We still like call it that Banner seventeen. Let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it? Stakes genie, zero to ten decimals, okay, steaks of this game? Six game to cap off the championship.
Speaker 2: Stakes of this, I would say it's nine.
Speaker 1: I'd say like nine to two because this was like a needed thing. I'm just saying for like the world, this, like basketball was like the only thing we had, going, only thing we had and fighting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, Jack got a eight point one. I had an eight point zero.
Speaker 1: Star power of this zero ten decimals, Okay, nine point five, nine point five, I'm gonna I'm gonna go with eight point eight because they didn't have the fans and the star power of the Lakers. Does Jack Nicholson have to pay for his courtside seats? No? What's a fun Jack Jack story? He's gotta be one fun Jack story.
Speaker 2: Well, there's let's put it this way, there's a reason we have him sitting next to the visiting bench because he's they just never know if he's gonna be the Jack from the Shining.
Speaker 1: Johnny exactly awesome. Game play.
Speaker 7: Jack got an eight point seven out of seven point eight gameplay zero ten decimals.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would say an eight.
Speaker 1: It's a it's an integrity type score because it was it was blowing out, then they came back. I'm gonna go seven point two.
Speaker 6: Jack had a six point five out of six point one.
Speaker 1: And then lastly, we grade the name of the game banner seventeen, ten, ten. Yeah, I'm gonna go with a nine because we all know what it like, the culture reverence. Everyone knows banner seventeen.
Speaker 6: Jack at eight point five. I had a six point three.
Speaker 1: What's it come up to?
Speaker 6: An eight point one seven?
Speaker 1: Or does it stand on the list that puts us.
Speaker 6: Right here?
Speaker 7: Twenty sixth just below the Shrug Game nineteen ninety two NBA Finals Game one, Blazers versus Bulls, and just above the Millennium.
Speaker 1: Wave with Larry hand Hamilton. You remember the Millennium Wave. No, it was on Time Magazine.
Speaker 3: Do you mean just the wave that he was riding.
Speaker 1: Yea, oh my god, the heaviest wave of WA all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably yeah, yeah I do, and that like, oh I love that?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Is that what? Like?
Speaker 3: Who came up with that name? Did you guys come up with that Millennium Wave? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think time did.
Speaker 6: We wanted him on the show because he's awesome.
Speaker 3: No, he's amazing.
Speaker 2: So did you give him other suggestions?
Speaker 5: We did.
Speaker 7: We googled some stuff and because he's not a competitive surfer, he's like against the ocean, we like looked up and then we found this thing like the Millennium Wave, and we looked into it. It was like in two thousand, he rode this crazy wave that was like the heaviest switch.
Speaker 1: And we broke down the wave. We were breaking out the game, and then we broke down the surfer of Larry and his resume of the other waves that he surfed. But this wave is taking lives.
Speaker 2: Can I find this list somewhere? Yes, I gotta go.
Speaker 7: Through this brand new We can send it to you, but it's actually now send it to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, this is amazing.
Speaker 7: We've had some fun little Patriots heavy if you look up to the top.
Speaker 1: Of course, I don't know what you're talking about. This is this is completely there's no bias in any of them. I don't know what you're talking about. Well, Jeanie, do we miss anything?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: We we all gotta we gotta, we gotta plug some stuff the wow can you talk to us about Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I it's it's my passion project. I've invested my own money, not LA your money. I you know, saw a need. You know, there's so many great Division one female athletes that don't get a chance. Unless you're a basketball player, you know, or you know, a golfer or whatever. There's no place to go pro after and you know, if you played field hockey or you know whatever. It's like, women deserve a place to go. And they've become athletes, they've shown the dedication and the sacriface of what it takes to be an athlete. So where can we help them get a platform where they can perform? And so we're the only all female wrestling outfit. We're in our third season. We're in syndication in LA. We're on KKEL on Saturday nights at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You know, I just I can't tell you the amount of talent that we have. And what we do is, you know, women come and try out and if they show potential, we train them. And you know, it's character driven. It's good versus evil. It's wrestling. But our characters are great. They're over the top. But what's important to me is that these women fight their own battles. They don't run to a man to save them. And I think that's an important message for young girls especially there's so much bullying that goes on and to be able to stand up for what you believe in, stand up for yourself, you know, and you know, so that you know, there's messages, but it's still entertainment and about ten years, okay, no, I it's like dad, you're a girl, Dad.
Speaker 5: Years.
Speaker 3: And so I also if I.
Speaker 2: Could plug next week, there's a show that will premiere on Netflix called Running Point, and I'm an executive producer along with Mindy Kayling created the show and it's it's loosely based on a character like me that you know, ends up running NBA team. It's the teams called the La Waves.
Speaker 3: It's not the Late.
Speaker 2: It's much easier I had to get league approval.
Speaker 6: We're dealing with that right now with the project so small.
Speaker 2: So see like that's I'm very happy and so gives us license to be able to come up with storylines. It's really funny. And the lead actress is Kate Hudson, Oh yeah, who is a movie star. So the idea that we were able to get her to do this part, she's fantastic. So that drops February twenty seventh. That's called running point.
Speaker 1: Running point.
Speaker 6: We've been talking with Max Greenfield to come on.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, wrote the show. He plays my character's Beyonce, who's a doctor.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for taking time and coming to the Nutthouse. We are so happy to have you. We feel like we finally made it being in La and Geenie Buss in the Brentwood studio. Thank you so much. Genie, thanks so much. It's so fun to learn from you and hear your passion for the game and your memory for everything has been crazy, just like hearing your knowledge of all the rosters when we're breaking down in roster like not of like the Magic Johnson's but we were talking about the guy who you just traded. Yeah, like that's crazy. That's how in depth you are with everything from the hot dog stand to freaking charity events, making your own other enterprises. It's been so awesome to get to have you here. Thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 6: Gee, what an interview?
Speaker 1: Well, what an interview?
Speaker 5: Owner?
Speaker 1: No governor governor?
Speaker 6: That's right, no governor, governor class.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, that's the thing. I had no clue there is there a governor in NFL.
Speaker 7: After that, other mayors too. You should have saw the face she made. I don't know if I can say this, but afterwards, because you and Jay Moore were going through the whole thing, and we gotta get him on the show too.
Speaker 6: He can't. We told talk about the score.
Speaker 7: Like, man, I was really impressed to give a great score, really integrity score, and I was like, you know, Mark Cuban gave tense to everything, and she was like had the biggest eye roll on the planet, which is just like she's like classic Mark, It's just.
Speaker 1: Like the Owners Club. Yeah you didn't.
Speaker 7: I wish you dive into more of like the Owner's dynamics, but I know, yeah, it was okay.
Speaker 1: We can get Genie again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she was great.
Speaker 1: You know what I ever since we you know, we've done this episode watching those Lakers a little, a little closer.
Speaker 6: I know you're gonna get a little flirting with the enemy.
Speaker 1: I'm not flirty, but it's just like I'm out here Celtics games on at fucking five o'clock. I'm still fucking I'm at soccer practice at five o'clock. I can't catch a Lake or the Celtics game. I get Lily down. You know, she's in bed by the time. That's it's fucking We're in the third quarter of the Laker game, and all of a sudden, I see Luca and Austin Reeves and fucking Lebron balling. It looked pretty good, Genie. Let's go. Well, it's about that time. It's that time. It's time for the chill Zone, brought to you by Quarters Light Get Coors like delivered straight to your door. Visit Coreslight dot com, slash g w N celebrate responsibly. Oh that's a great sound. It is a great sounds, like a refreshing sound.
Speaker 6: Or today, I've got a little surprise for you.
Speaker 1: What do you got, Jackie, boys, what's up?
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 5: I'm hanging in there, but I'm I'm hurt. Man. Bob Sugar was in the nuthouse without me.
Speaker 1: He's pretty cool too. You guys would have fuck. He's a he's a Jets guy, Day Moore and he you could tell he he knows sports. He loves sports, even kind of communicating via text.
Speaker 5: Oh is he trying to sign you?
Speaker 1: Bro? He's uh no, I think he's I think we're podswapping. We gotta get him on the pod. I think he'd be a fun guest butt fumble butt fumble game, yeah, or some sad Jets game, but fumble might be. He's hurt. Jeanie was awesome. You would have loved her.
Speaker 5: Is she gonna hook us up with some court sides or what?
Speaker 1: You know? A? Yeah, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 5: I'm not. I want to.
Speaker 1: I'm if you're you know I won't. I'm not an asker.
Speaker 5: I know we can't. We're not that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: You have a mouse to cook the ash for a glass of milk. Okay, maybe she gives the rafters. I know the Celtics already came in town, so.
Speaker 5: Fuck, I know, maybe I have to wait till the finals.
Speaker 1: You are you? Are you saying Luca I don't know Austin Reeves le taking them.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, you guys already cracked the bad words without me, by the way, get up in there ready. It's like when Lil Wayne used to spark the lighter into the mic.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh good, do that sound that sounds good? Oh? Jackie settled down, jack So I'm just so excited.
Speaker 5: I'm just so excited.
Speaker 1: It's so good when it hits your lips where you been.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna pull back the curtain a little bit. We talked about this internally at the nuthouse, but this hasn't really gotten out to the people. So I'll speak candidly here if you will, Jules in.
Speaker 1: Your mind, yeah, go ahead and speak Candy. There comes a moment when I like that course light in the background too, Yes, Therr. The where you get is that where you get lost in the background? Is that where you're.
Speaker 5: That's where I get my foot picks off?
Speaker 1: All right? Where you've been, where you've been?
Speaker 5: Where As you know, in the nuthouse world, when you hit a certain age, you gotta go out on your nuthouse mission. Kyler went down to I don't know the rainforest. I think in Brazil or something. You were in the the out back out in Australia. So I'm over here in the American southeast, moving up into the rust belt, you know, uh, mid Atlantic. I'm just trying to convert these people to being nuthouse members. Bro.
Speaker 7: Spread the circumcise the people of Southeast Tea.
Speaker 1: But it's more of the Mormon route. Bro, We're just sitting them out there. Instead of the the shirt and tie, the little slurt short sleeve shirt and tie, we give him nuthouse hat.
Speaker 5: We go forty seven brand hitch hats, we wear black Tea's. We get a company issued Honda ruckas. And I'm just going door to door, bro, knock knock. Have you heard the good word of Ernest Adams? Maybe the teachings of William Belichick? Mind if I come in and then I do you think.
Speaker 6: The goodest of all time?
Speaker 1: Is? Wow?
Speaker 5: You'd be amazed how many people they don't know about the Millennium waver or you know game six of the two thousand and seven opening round, you know, Baron Davis Dunk. They they just don't know.
Speaker 1: Dude, what's the weirdest doorstep?
Speaker 5: You like?
Speaker 1: There's some weird people over in those appellations where you're at Yeah, oh yeah, any did you go into it like it's been That's what I want to I want to know. This is what I want to know. They should make uh, they should make a TV show of all, like the crazy stories of the Mormons going into neighborhoods that they probably shouldn't have been in, and like there's got to be some crazy stories about like like Mormons going to Texas going on like property line guy the shotgun coming out chasing him, or going up in the hood and stuff.
Speaker 6: You know, what's the Book of Mormon about?
Speaker 1: I forgot, but I saw it. It was really funny.
Speaker 5: Then they get sent on their mission, they go to Orlando, or do they want to go to Orlando? They get sent to Africa? Yeah, so they Yeah, hilarity ensues.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Like what about those Mormons that roll up into Africa and like some there's got to be a group of people that are like, what the who are these fucking people?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's insane, bro, it's insane.
Speaker 1: I mean hat in mid combo hat I just.
Speaker 5: Got drafted bro by Team Cores. But the thing is, dude, you don't really get kicked off porches or pulled shotguns on you when you got the cores on your arm. They let me right in.
Speaker 1: They let you right in.
Speaker 5: Next thing, you know, you're talking about the Subway series from two thousand, Mike Piazza, bro.
Speaker 1: All right, give me the I want. I want to hear it right now. Yeplay, you're knocking on my door. Let me hear, let me hear your pitch. Yeah, what do you want, dude?
Speaker 5: Sure do you have a moment to hear?
Speaker 1: A moment for fucking What.
Speaker 5: Do you know about twenty eight to three or some of the other greatest games of all time?
Speaker 1: You mean when them Atlanta Falcons pissed down their leg?
Speaker 5: Yep, that that is the game, sir?
Speaker 1: What about that game? Oh, Brady boy? Pretty good?
Speaker 5: Would you like to know what happened at halftime in that game? Or who came up with the phrase gotta believe? Just a few more things about it to really learn about this game?
Speaker 1: What? What? What else we got? Kid?
Speaker 5: I gotta I got a twelve back? Of course?
Speaker 1: Come on in? Why didn't you say so? Come on in? Works every time, brow.
Speaker 5: Works, every time I see he told you it's something else, man. A lot of full conversions, some partial conversions. So I gotta I got a whole book full to show you when I get back.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see the book.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course a full is you subscribe to the YouTube rss feed and us on all social platforms. Partial is just maybe r ss.
Speaker 6: Dick doc on Spotify.
Speaker 5: Yep, we'll take what we can get. But you'd be kyler man. It's it's eye opening, bro. You'd be amazed how many people they don't even know what the RSS feed is or a YouTube short. So I'm just doing a lot of a lot of teaching, bro, but a lot of a lot of fellowshipping and evangelizing and proselytizing it.
Speaker 1: It's great as long as you're spreading the Gospel of the nuthouse.
Speaker 5: Every day. Brother, I'm doing it the right way.
Speaker 1: And our Holy waters core is light. You just sprinkle, sprinkle you with it a little dabble, do you there? You go?
Speaker 7: Thank you, Jackie, Thanks you assume guys, people back home. No, jack is Jack's a part of all the shows right when he's even not here, he's in Riverside. He's texting me constantly. So like if anything's like smart comes out of my mouth mostly it's just Jack's line.
Speaker 6: So like Jack, Jack dming us. So Jack's very much a part of the show, even if he's just sliding.
Speaker 5: DM Kyler's wearing a wire every year, Bro, he's.
Speaker 1: Wearing a wire. He's had an ear piece.
Speaker 5: Yeah all right, Jack Man. You can't wait to be back in the flesh boys.
Speaker 1: I love you you boys late late. Great to hear from Jack, so good to see him. Excited to get him back soon.
Speaker 7: Whispers got some couple episodes lined up that are gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: I miss him, but I still we have him in. He's like, like we said, here, he's here. He's here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that was the chill z own. Thanks to our favorite beer Corps Light. Get Corps Light delivered straight to your door busycoorpslight dot com, slash gwn and celebrate responsibly. What a game, What a guest, What a guest? Thanks again to Genie. That's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to podcasts comming a game you want us to do, and remember leave us a five star review on Spotify while you're there. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok and snapchat. Leave a comment on the YouTube full episode. We'll read the best ones in future episodes, so leave, leave a bunch. We love those.
Speaker 6: They're great, Keep them up.
Speaker 1: Leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine to zero.
Speaker 6: And then one more thing.
Speaker 7: Go check out Ephis in theaters now. Support our our nuthouse brethren, Tim and his movie eph Ephis steck out Ephis Ephis at the pitch.
Speaker 6: Let's go in theaters now.
Speaker 1: We'll see you guys next week. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.