Speaker 1: It's nine OGE.
Speaker 2: With Jenny Garth and Tory spelling.
Speaker 3: Well, well, well it's another nine O two one OMG you guys wow, and it's an OMG or yeah it is.
Speaker 4: It's heavy.
Speaker 3: I did not see this episode coming.
Speaker 5: Nope, not after last week.
Speaker 2: The world did. Well, the world saw it coming because it's so topical.
Speaker 3: I mean, isn't it crazy we were just talking about Halloween. We're so on we're so on trend with our podcast. Unfortunately, yeah, unfortunately, but here it is the topic of anti semitism and racism abound in this episode.
Speaker 2: It actually like took me back like where I was, like, this is literally what's on the news, Yeah, what's in our world. It was sort of astounding how on point this episode was. Like it really I was a little gobsmack, like whoa.
Speaker 3: I yeh, yeah, it's it is weird how this is it's the same. I mean, when the show has in the previous in the past talked about racism and here we are dealing with the same things, and now we're talking about anti semitism and that's just all over the news right now. It's on every college campus.
Speaker 5: It's just what's sadder is to know that things don't change. Yeah, that's the hard part.
Speaker 4: We've come.
Speaker 5: We always say we've come so far, and then it's something like this that you look back thirty years.
Speaker 4: Ago and you're like, you really sadly haven't, Tory.
Speaker 2: That's such an interesting point that after watching this, I really was left to try to figure out was nine oh two one zero so groundbreaking and so like just willing to address these things? And I attribute that a lot to your dad, Tori. Then I also was like, or does life just never change? Do these issues just well?
Speaker 3: Regardless, the show was definitely groundbreaking because we were the first show talking about it on primetime television and certainly the first show ever talking about it to this younger audience for sure.
Speaker 2: So true, Jenny. It's like I also felt this episode did not land on me back then in the same way it does now. It's just watching it completely from a different perspective as an adult. Yeah, I think most of it probably sort of went over my head or I just didn't pay attention or realize the signal the kinds of it all.
Speaker 5: Which is a risk they took because when dealing with young people and you know, here we are, we keep talking about fifth season, like, oh, we're getting into the keg parties and all the romances in the scandal, and then to take us into something that's just like a hard hitting topic feels almost like off point but very nine to two one zero. But they took a big chance that the audience would be, like young kids would be like, I don't want to see this.
Speaker 4: I don't want to watch this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they hit it hard too, like really hard.
Speaker 4: Was a balance, I gotta be honest.
Speaker 3: It was a little heavy handed, but it was such a heavy topic. Yeah, and important to so many people, so many people around the world, but so many people involved in the production of our show, like you know.
Speaker 2: So they handled it well too, not just with my nineteen ninety four eyes, but with today, Like it wasn't I thought it was handled well. I thought if I was a young person watching this, you understood all sides, and you understood how important this was, and each was presented fairly well. The you know, per usual, the let's tie it up with a bow and we're all so happy is always a little nine o two in OI. But otherwise I don't have a lot of criticism of it.
Speaker 3: Why don't we remind people, What the heck we're talking?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh? This is season five, episode eleven. Hate is just a four letter word, aired November sixteenth, nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 4: Synopsis.
Speaker 5: Racial tensions hit the campus of California University, putting Brandon's peacekeeping.
Speaker 4: Skills to the test.
Speaker 5: Kelly's photo shoot gets canceled, Donna's party gets ruined, and Dylan gets threatened by his no good drug dealer.
Speaker 3: Directed by Les Landa, written by Richard Golance and Charles Rosen.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, can we get the one most awkward thing in this whole episode out of the way, though, the one literally I get it, there's one gasped out loud. There was one. I guess Jenny will get it. You'll get it.
Speaker 3: Wait, okay, was it with Brandon? Yes, it was with brand Is it's something Brandon said Kelly.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who he said it to, but it was so not not wait say it?
Speaker 3: What was it? Slap and tickle?
Speaker 2: No, but I can't wait to talk about that. It was when they said I'm just gonna acknowledge it next year. Could you get Bill Cosby?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, God, so that was okay?
Speaker 3: Then to reference him.
Speaker 2: Of course, and it totally made sense then, But that was the one thing that I was like, what did not age?
Speaker 3: Well, how could he have known?
Speaker 2: They know so much on but they didn't not.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're so ahead of our time.
Speaker 2: Did not get that one?
Speaker 4: Then it was you couldn't have known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pudding and the Cosby Show was quite well liked.
Speaker 3: Then, Yeah, I thought you were gonna say it was when Brandon asked Kelly if she wanted to go back to her place and do a little slap and tickle.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what's a slap and tickle?
Speaker 5: By the exactly what only Kelly would Apparently it's their thing, a slap and tickle.
Speaker 3: I guess that was something that like things we said to each other.
Speaker 2: Then that was actually bananas.
Speaker 3: What does that mean He's gonna slap me and I'm gonna tickle.
Speaker 5: Him or like a like a slap your fanny and.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is. It's creepy and I don't want that visual. Thank you.
Speaker 5: That's gross, especially for like someone young to be like that sounds like something like Jim Walsh might say to Cindy.
Speaker 4: Like, hey, let's go upstairs and do a little slap and circle.
Speaker 2: I put it not murders. Actually, how about Jim Walsh being also very ahead of his time, sort of calling out Brandon's white privilege in a very sort of eloquent way. I thought, oh, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, leave it to Jimbo.
Speaker 2: Everybody got it right, especially although Jesse and Andrea we can dissect, because I do think Andrea has an issue sort of listening and allowing people to have a different opinion. But that was very compelling. Andrea with her grandmother, and obviously she would be passionate about this right, rightfully, so she would be a real outspoken, you know, person willing to make a stand. So that all tracked, and it was nice to see her have something to do.
Speaker 4: Other than carry a baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, when Grandma Rose, is that Grandma Rose? When Grandma Rose, because Gramma Rose was somebody else.
Speaker 2: So I get computer, Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Grandma Rose dropped the line about him being him dying in the camps, like all of a sudden, the episode just took a turn from Hi, yeah, yeah, I don't know about you. No.
Speaker 2: It was so heavy saying that Hannah looks like him, and then all of a sudden, you get this, You just get the heaviness and the importance of what they're talking about, and oh, it just resonated so much about speech and inappropriate speech and or somebody saying something in one speech and that becoming how you completely think of them.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: And again I was left to not really know what my take was on Roland Roland Turner because we're we see that terrible, hateful speech, horrible, but then we never really are convinced that he's not that way, even though Janice is explaining that he is different from that. So it was just all of it just was too much for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so much. It was hard for me to track, like everybody's position on everything. What did you feel? How did you feel about the fight when Andrea comes over to visit Brandon, because each of them had their position, and I felt like neither of them were wrong in what they were.
Speaker 2: I felt the same way. It was a little Brandony to Abstein. Brandon is very hesitant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's so Switzerland.
Speaker 5: Totally Brandon Jason Jason.
Speaker 3: Life art, life art.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was that was interesting, you know, it's it's it's so nine o two one oo to have this topic that at the time was so probably I couldn't even really comprehend. And there's also the confusion of real people being interspersed, like Anita Hill or Marcus Garvey and then Roland Turner, I'm assuming is like a made up person. There's a lot of that where it was very confusing. So you're kind of like trying to do a history lesson at the same time.
Speaker 3: And I was thinking, like, I think this might have been me, Jenny, my first sort of learning about all of this because I didn't go to high school and I didn't yeah, I didn't have classes in these categories, so this was like educational for me back then. And then I was thinking, like when kids go away to college, I mean they this is when they get to express their opinions about things, and then they get to go and have these this outlet where they get to stand on their own opinions. And it's interesting. Again, I never saw that in real life, so I felt like I was learning how it was handled back then and now seeing how it's being handled now. Just the similarities and the prominent sort of role models in everyone's life. The woman who works at seventeen magazine and her perspective, the dean and his perspective. Yeah, and that really resonated.
Speaker 2: Too, Like I don't know, I do feel like it was well done, although it's hard to totally know where I stand because it was confusing and in forty four minutes, I'm like, right, I don't have any information.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know this episode was really important to my dad and his heritage. I mean I can remember not knowing what it was about. But we took one you know, my dad didn't fly, so we took one trip to Europe and we had to take a train three days to New York and then.
Speaker 4: The Kiwi two boat took a week to get there. So it was a big in Europe.
Speaker 5: But my dad, it was really important that he wanted to because he was in World War Two. It was important for him to go to Normandy, France and the Wall. It was really important as a Jew to take a picture there and he was like, this is part of our heritage and for everyone that was murdered, and that was something that I'll never forget. That photo and seeing him so proud, like beaming.
Speaker 2: And he okay, I'm sorry to get sidetracked on such an important thing. He actually did not fly at all, so you took a train across the country and took a boat.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: It was in World War Two and when he was coming home. He came back from Europe to New York and was supposed to get on a flight to Texas and he had bronchidas. They pulled him off the flight, the flight crash, everyone died on it. He his mom said, please, don't ever fly again.
Speaker 4: He never did.
Speaker 2: He was eighteen and even in all your years, he never got a private plane nothing.
Speaker 5: No, he wouldn't get back on a plane ever. Jen knows this, like never slew.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you took this trip that it was so important to him that you did it the way you all did it, all four of you. Yes, wow, Oh my gosh. Can you remember it, Like, can you remember all of it and how important it was to your dad?
Speaker 5: Yeah. But I could visualize that picture that he took and he was like wanted. I think we had like disposable cameras at the time, but it was really important for him to go.
Speaker 4: There specifically and take a picture.
Speaker 5: And I remember him kissing the wall and very Yeah, he was very emotional.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's such a heavy episode, and I did think about your your dad throughout For some reason, I don't know, Jenny of you had the same thing, but for some reason, I felt like this had to have been so important to him. And I'm assuming, I don't want to put words in Charles Rosen's now, I'm assuming this.
Speaker 4: Was so important, yes, him and Karen, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was. It was a good episode, but it was hard to follow, and it was it felt like it took me out of the night or two and zero of it, which is fine.
Speaker 1: Mm yeah, especially today and this is Sweeps right still, Sweeps was sixteen sixteen, yeah, right, which is.
Speaker 4: A tough one.
Speaker 5: I feel like for Sweeps right right, because I mean it's polarizing, right. Of course, some young people are going to be like, oh wow, okay, I want to learn, I want to know more. They can watch what their parents who can talk to them about it, and others are like, we want that, you know, fun like partying at the keghouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very like typical because we have this.
Speaker 2: Sort of history lesson happening in front of our eyes. But then we simultaneously have Dylan in the hospital with his mom with a drug dealer getting into the hospital about that.
Speaker 3: Well, because Val tells them how to how to get there, like she, I don't what is she doing sitting vigil night after night, never leaving the hospital, but then going and sneaking basically into getting the keys somehow from Iris and then going into his thing, going through all of his drawers. But I guess then she was trying to get rid of the drugs.
Speaker 2: That's so just as I was sort of like, oh, but then then she got rid of the drugs, which and she was sort of proud of herself for doing it, yea, But.
Speaker 3: Then she tells the drug dealer to go visit them. Essentially that was so crazy.
Speaker 2: Why would she not realize that was a drug deal what, old friend, what did you think it was?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't ring true.
Speaker 4: For vows she saw him in the dream he was to double hello. I'm just kidding. I didn't watch that episode just last week.
Speaker 2: And how about that guy like very like in the hospital, like even the worst drug dealer, you better keep my name out of your mouth, like this guy's on his head.
Speaker 3: And also what's gonna happen with this nurse? Come on, Oh my gosh, I feel something coming.
Speaker 4: Like what how do you feel?
Speaker 3: I feel like she's going to be a part of his past life regressions or something.
Speaker 2: I was about done with her when we saw her again. She's a men but wants to study his dreams. And then I saw a deck of cards. I was just like, what the heck?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like where this is going. I feel bored by it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about done with her.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I told you I watched the wrong episode.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I didn't. I watched two episodes from now she's gone, so I guess she's.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, good, good.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that for a second. Let's just talk about Dylan's whull sitch.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was kind of honestly kind of bored by it, Like I'm glad he's better and he can talk and.
Speaker 2: He seems to be improving. And then there's sort of a comment about he has no money, and then it seemed like Iris was maybe going to sort of save the day on that she's got the money and don't worry about the money. I don't know, and then Valerie.
Speaker 5: He was filming something else and like he had one day to shoot and they just did it all in the hospital.
Speaker 2: Better.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then Iris kind of liking Valerie. Oh, like telling Dylan It's like, come on, Iris, you know better.
Speaker 3: Iris has met thal before.
Speaker 2: Just in this time, just in this last since he's been in the hospital.
Speaker 3: Really, that's the first time she's met her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the first time she's been back since Valerie moved into town.
Speaker 3: Wow, So why does she like her? I don't she thinks that's his new girlfriend or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, all the rest of you forgot about him though, I will say that, like, yeah, the rest of you are, you know, changing the world and playing flag football.
Speaker 4: But there's flag football again.
Speaker 2: There was some flag football, remember Brandon episode this one too, my brand too.
Speaker 4: I don't you guys with the football.
Speaker 2: I'm lost.
Speaker 3: They lost, They got all dirty Brandon, Brandon missed the game.
Speaker 4: Like cute dirty I fast forward.
Speaker 2: I know Muddy. I liked when Rush called Steve Stevie Wonder. That was a little cute nickname. I'm like, okay, that's kind of cute. Can I ask a question though, I don't know if you guys noticed, did you notice some crazy camera work at one point that it looked like we were the Blair Witch Project?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: That would have made me excite it though.
Speaker 2: Where was that There was a scene of Kelly and Brandon in sort of the outside of school. First of all, the lighting was like so bad. It was so sunny and just bad, and the camera was just full Blair Witch project. I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: That was handheld before there was.
Speaker 2: Like a steady cam or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was literally a handheld camera. They didn't have those ye those rigs that they put on now you know that whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that thing. You know what. I I think one of the struggles I have with the episode, even though I really liked it. Yeah, And I think Jenny alluded to this. It's it's like I was supposed to know Alex Diaz and Janice Williams and all these people so well.
Speaker 4: Hello, they've been on so many times, Like.
Speaker 2: I still don't get why Alex Diaz is just once gunning for Brandon all the time and he's so angry. Like I couldn't keep all that straight.
Speaker 3: So that was keep it straight and I was like, wait, this guy's.
Speaker 5: Back, Okay.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: But I will tell you when Brandon Brandon with that gavel. Oh no, I thought that was hot. I watched it twice. You guys, but.
Speaker 2: Who brings their girlfriend to their like board meeting, like you're always there?
Speaker 3: Well, he thought it was going to be quick and then when they were going to go do a little slap and tickle.
Speaker 5: Hello, she's number two on the call sheet. Of course she's always going to be there. I'd get her in as much as I could too.
Speaker 4: I don't care if it makes sense. I want to see her.
Speaker 3: She's supporting her boyfriend who. By the way, I really like Brandon and Kelly together. When I see them together, it just makes me happy as a person watching it totally. I don't know, they just seem fun and.
Speaker 4: Like they don't seem fun.
Speaker 3: You don't think they seems fun. What the discussions they were having in this episode.
Speaker 4: They're so I don't know, there's nothing see.
Speaker 3: No, They're they're like a yeah, like teenage lovers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I want to see a little bit of like something.
Speaker 2: A slap and tickle.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, you know.
Speaker 5: What I'll take. I'll take it. That grosses me out, but I'll take it. At this point, I like them.
Speaker 2: You're wearing a bit of a prairie dress.
Speaker 3: Now, I my note was I want that dress immediately? That dress. I loved it so much, I'm going to have it made. It's so meg Ryan.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: So should we talk about Ray or more of the heavy stuff, because I do want to talk about Dashawan and how he's such a great character and should be in it way more. You don't think, oh my god, I love Sean.
Speaker 4: We love when he comes back.
Speaker 2: They give him two seconds of screen time.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he always looks hot.
Speaker 2: He always comes in with the wise words and like it's all here, always the voice of reason.
Speaker 3: Because he was barely in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one scene, half a scene. Yeah, so what about Ray's birthday? And that Ray is twenty five and Donna is just about twenty. I don't think I ever remembered the age difference.
Speaker 3: Oh what was Ray doing in the beach apartment? Was he fixing something.
Speaker 2: With his tank top with his tank there when he came out file, he had his tool belt and he was repairing something.
Speaker 4: He was repairing something, and.
Speaker 2: That's when we learned he was fixing the faucet. That's what he was doing. He was fixing the faucet. That's right. They do acknowledge he was fixing the fawcet.
Speaker 3: I didn't care. All I cared about was Claire's cute hairdo and Donna's tour. Is this when the when you had a band aid on your nose?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: I went back and I was like, oh my god, that's the that's the what happened nineteen ninety four? Take me back nineteen ninety or.
Speaker 4: I was how old?
Speaker 3: I don't do math?
Speaker 4: Twenty I was twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we were.
Speaker 5: All just lost the Casper thing. So I was still with Nixle a little bit before my twenty first birthday.
Speaker 3: When did you get when the altercation with the bird happened?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 5: It was before my twenty first birthday? So was I not twenty one yet?
Speaker 2: Does that mean somebody tell me what's happened?
Speaker 5: I'm born in seventy three. Yeah, okay, so that was it. So I didn't see a band aid, but something I saw.
Speaker 3: I saw like a flesh colored tape thing over your nose and into every time you're on camera, I could see it.
Speaker 4: It looked like I was like powder.
Speaker 5: It looked like I done cocaine, which I hadn't done.
Speaker 3: And I thought to myself, Okay, I know how your brain works. I know how in your head you were at that time about being a camera with that on your nose, and I was my.
Speaker 4: Nose in general, and you know how I feel about the nose.
Speaker 3: What happened after a bird bites it off?
Speaker 2: Bird bit your nose? Just tell me everything.
Speaker 5: No one ever believes the story, but Jen is there, so she knows it's real. People think I make this up as like party fodder when I tell this at a party, but it's a good So. I had gone with the bad boyfriend at the time, Nick to Hawaii with Shannon and Dean Factor on the same vacation. That's when she got engaged and also broke up. There was the yeah, she threw the crystal dolphin like.
Speaker 4: That whole thing. You've told you that story, right, But then they got back together. Okay.
Speaker 5: In that same trip, you could go You can't do this nowadays, but you could just walk in the streets and.
Speaker 4: They would sell you parents a colectus parents.
Speaker 5: Big red ones were females, big green ones were males.
Speaker 4: Nothing that was it. You bought a parrot. They gave you a parrot, and you could and.
Speaker 5: Support it home from why La on the plane, I don't know different, So you bought a bird. So Nick and I decided we're going to buy a bird, because that's just that seems like the next step in a.
Speaker 4: Totally dysfunctional relationship.
Speaker 5: So we bought a bird that I named Charlie, even though she was a girl, which was hardly went on to be my first husband's name Charlie anyway, whole different story. He was nice, but this bird really great bird. They're very communicative. She had my voice, so I would always come home and I'd be like.
Speaker 4: I'm Charlie Bird, and she'd be like.
Speaker 5: And talk just like me, which is crazy, but sadly, you know. I would have to go to work all day and we worked crazy hours, so she would be home alone. He didn't work, so he was home with her, and she progressively got like war anxiety and meaner, to the point where, like my friends and I if we would have her out and she would dance, since she would sit on me at night and I'd be like looking at my lines and she'd be like sitting with me in bed and cuddling in my hair and was the sweetest thing. And she'd do all these funny dances. And then she got to a point where something was going wrong in her life, which makes.
Speaker 3: Happening in Hawaii anymore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or like I was in a bad relationship, she also was in.
Speaker 4: A bad relationship.
Speaker 3: She felt it.
Speaker 5: Ramah and she literally like we would take her out, my friends and I and like she would run at the door and we'd have to lock ourselves in the bathroom.
Speaker 4: She'd be like pepping at the door, and.
Speaker 5: I was like, something's wrong with Charlie, Like she's not happy. I don't know what's happened. So anyway, I came home one night from work and I would always go to the cage and be like, oh, Charlie, I wouldn't stick my nose in the cage, and she'd come and go with her little black country go kiss me. And this one night, apparently he had been screaming at her all day and I didn't know this, but when I got home, he wasn't there, and I went to the cage and went Charlie bird, and she came up and just grabbed my nose so hard and wouldn't let go, and she was going ah, And I froze because I was like, I don't know how to get out of this. So I froze for a second.
Speaker 4: I said, you're okay, You're okay, and.
Speaker 5: For some reason and it hurt like it was she let go and I was like, whoa, I saw stars.
Speaker 4: I was like, that was painful. Their beaks are so sharp and she was a big bird.
Speaker 5: And I just remember walking to the guest bathroom and looking in the mirror and I couldn't see anything because it was just blood covering down here and I had no idea what had happened. I called my then boyfriend and said, emergency, I need to go, like nine one one. I got to go to the emergency room. The bird, I think, just bit my nose off like something bad. And he was like, I'm at the casino, sorry, an hour away.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to call your mom.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh my cool, okay, thanks, So I called my mom. Thank goodness. My mom was like, okay, we're not going to the er. You need a plastic surgeon because it was bad, you guys, she had ripped right here. I had to get eight stitches. I still have. I still have the scar. And they said if she had gone a tiny bit more, it was already split open. It would have been like off, like they wouldn't have been able to put my nose back together, but she took me to this is weird, you guys, doctor Hofflin. Does this name ring a bell? Michael Jackson, doctor Hofflin, Is that ring any bells?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I got nothing.
Speaker 5: He was like his plastic surgeon, like very involved in all his like everything, but was a plastic surgeon. My parents knew of and knew him and called him. He met us at the office and sewed it up and I had to have stitches. But then I had to go to work, which was mortified, and they couldn't write me out so they had to put a band aid.
Speaker 4: Theack.
Speaker 3: Oh you Well, My point was you did a really good job of acting, because I know how hard that must have been for you, because you probably were super self conscious more self I didn't even see it at that age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did not even see it.
Speaker 5: You. I had like issues with my nose and didn't feel good about it, and then got my god a nose job and felt like it was a botch nose job. To this day, you know, I still am weird about my nose and only turned.
Speaker 4: To the side. But the good side that I like is.
Speaker 5: Actually the one that there's a scar, a really bad scar here. And when I tell people it's still a parent, they think, Okay, what's the real story. I'm like, no, a parrot bit through my nose, a parent wide open anyhow. And then I gave Remember I gave that parent to Nick Scillachi, our makeup artist. Yeah, because my mom was like, you got to get rid of the parrot that could have been your eye. And I was like, oh my gosh, but parents live to be like eighty nine, you have to will them.
Speaker 4: So he had a big farm and ran. She was our makeup artist. They had long to the animals, like eighty ninety.
Speaker 2: Years you was a parent's still around?
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Wow, we should ask Nick where Charlie Bird is.
Speaker 2: It's going to stay with me. I think all the things in this episode and just how like, well.
Speaker 3: First of all, it's going to stay with me. Noah, the guy that was talking to Andrea, like the activist when he comes in to talk to her and she's like, teh, her work. It really gets up in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at first I have that moment where I was like, is it him? But no, it's the laundromat guy, right, Like Tory, it's yeah. At first I had a moment of like, oh, but then you realize he sought her out. He was a little bit of a canniver because he acts like, oh, Andrea, I haven't seen you in a while. And then he's like I found you because of Brandon, which I thought was, you know, that's not really that's not cool. But whatever, it worked and she went right to Brandon's which I there is a moment in that scene. I don't know if you guys saw when she's going up the stairs and Brandon like hats her, holds her back kind of as she's walking up and looks at Jim and Cindy with the eyes like I don't know what she's doing here. I was like, good eye acting.
Speaker 5: Acting.
Speaker 3: You made a note about that?
Speaker 2: I sure did, He's all I was like, can I do that with my eyes?
Speaker 3: I made a note about Brandon doing the half tuck before the half tuck was a thing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, way, that's a good note. When did he do that?
Speaker 3: Like the front of the shot, I thought he looked just really hot in this episode. I'm all all about Brandon right now. Henny had all the silver bracelets.
Speaker 2: On, yeah, and the great color choices of his polos because they really brought out his eyes, both the bluish green and the burgundy. I was like, oh, it all right, he likes a polo.
Speaker 3: Andrea says something that was interesting. No, it wasn't Andrea, it was Janie. Janna says, you're either down with the First Amendment or you're not yes.
Speaker 2: Which yes, which That's why this episode is so complicated. There's like fourteen issues being discussed all at the same time. And I was like, an excellent point, Janie. That being said, I don't know about this Roland Turner guy. It was so complicated. I understand why Brandon had stained because I was like, I don't know what I would do. This is a hot mess and very violent. There's sort of some really aggressive like yes, the scene with the with the with the swastikas on the building was very upsetting. And then I also understood when Brandon says they want them to remain there until tomorrow, because they're saying this could happen again. And You're like, this episode is so intense, It's filled with so much that just resonated today, just over and over again, especially with people saying things you to be so careful with your words, even though yes, the First Amendment is so important, but you do have to be so careful with your words and the power of your words. Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh, well, yeah, they started to go at it for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this whole episode is just very like the same thing as wanting to talk to Chuck about the dream episode. I really want to talk to him about this, which I did try. He's on a plane, but maybe we can get him for the next episode. There's just so much to this. They must have rewritten this so carefully, so much many times, unless maybe I don't know, maybe I's got it right the first.
Speaker 3: Time, but we should definitely ask him.
Speaker 2: It's just such a serious episode, and I I just it's overwhelming, especially because of today. And I wonder if Chuck how he feels about it today. He must be quite proud of himself.
Speaker 3: I would think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I would be if I were him. I wish I could ask your dad too, Torri about this episode. There's so many times when I think about that, but this one, like what it meant at the time. I don't know any Jenny changes subject the Gibson guitar we didn't talk about that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Donna just comes in hot with that gift for Ray. Yeahs gives guitar.
Speaker 5: Weird foreshadowing because I've given a guitar to a boyfriend after this like later and then too husband.
Speaker 2: In real life later. Yeah, oh wow.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's so bizarre.
Speaker 2: They have such mixed feelings about Ray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he snooze a rooney.
Speaker 2: I'm also just always like I'm so used to that scene where there's just really a violent scene that I'm always jarred by him, just always honest.
Speaker 3: I mean, his character's just written so snoozy, like he really doesn't do anything.
Speaker 2: Until he does.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that was intentional too, to make him sort.
Speaker 3: Of seem the opposite.
Speaker 2: Hmm hmmm.
Speaker 3: So Pop didn't see you coming?
Speaker 5: I don't know, did you make them you want to see them together? Like it's just like they give him nothing. He's just like, there's sweet.
Speaker 2: He's very all about her, which I think becomes the problem.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe did you see No No the makeup artist in the Wow when Kelly was in the makeup trailer for her big Foot, Oh didn't happen? The lady that was doing her makeup was no, no, no.
Speaker 2: The real makeup artist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no way. When they do that, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I can't The seventeen storyline is interesting too, because there's there's obviously more to it.
Speaker 3: But it's not happening.
Speaker 2: Well I think it is. You're gonna get the cover now, and it's just going to be different.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be things different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 4: It's setting a lot up.
Speaker 2: There's just so much in this episode, all at the same time. Like I'm supposed to keep like all this straight, and it's like, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Do you Like when Brandon goes to the gym and he always works out at the same arm machine. He's always at that fly machine that looks like it's from the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: Oh, and then there's a sort of moment between Andrea and Brandon. He comes out all sweaty because he works out in the morning, and obviously she's up because of the baby, and they sort of have this moment like, I guess we don't know our schedules anymore. And then she does give the heartfelt apology, which I actually like. I like her, like Andrea. She's a hot head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's very opinionated and not afraid to voice her opinions, which is great. But I think what you said before, she doesn't really leave a lot of room for other people to have their opinions. And Jesse called that out, like, oh he really, Yeah, this is getting a little frictious in their relationship. Oh, I don't think that's gonna work out.
Speaker 2: I would give the episode award if there is one. Though to the to Gramma Rose, she's really comes with the wise words. Her experience with Colleena.
Speaker 5: Jer Zanne just never came back.
Speaker 3: It's just so weird.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, we have a different lady.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she had one episode and then just never came back as Gramdmar Rose.
Speaker 3: Like there, I know, I wish, Yeah, it's I wish she had stayed.
Speaker 2: But this Grammar Rose, this is that was a good performance and I do want to see her interview she did.
Speaker 3: What what about the moment at the end when Brandon turns around and sees that David has joined Andrea and accepted and stepped up to his religion. You know, he's found courage in everybody else, finding the courage.
Speaker 2: And the importance the importance of it.
Speaker 3: Supporting it. I liked it all, did feel that that moment was so hokey.
Speaker 2: Bit of a bow, A bit of bow, like all is right in the world, not wealthy.
Speaker 3: Here, everything's so yeah.
Speaker 2: Throughout the series though, it's not like this is the first time, like we they definitely dabble in, always touching on this. But yeah, I does ties up in a bow.
Speaker 3: So well in the next episode, will it be all different? Not?
Speaker 2: I think it's not for to again. Yeah, I don't think it isn't it's over, I'm not. I'm pretty sure it's not even mentioned.
Speaker 4: The next one called.
Speaker 3: What the next one is called Rock of Ages episode twelve. That's y'all's homework by the way, to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah twelve and hard to find? Yeah to find?
Speaker 4: Where can they find it?
Speaker 2: Again? It's online on YouTube, Lorraine, but I think it's on the DVDs.
Speaker 3: You found it on daily Mail?
Speaker 2: No, daily Motion? Sorry, I called, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It is the end start with me.
Speaker 2: If you have the DVDs, it's on there, and then it's also on daily Motion, which I don't know what that is, but I'm gonna go dig in for it. Yeah, I definitely have the DVDs. I just don't have a DVD player. Gotta deal with that's such.
Speaker 3: I feel like we talked about everything for this episode. I mean, there's definitely a lot in there that we probably grazed over. But is it grazed or glazed? Glazed?
Speaker 4: Glazes a donut.
Speaker 3: If you graze over something, it means you're eating it as you go.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right, blazed over light glazed lost. Perhaps you know, it's hard to.
Speaker 4: We did our best like a grazing. Grazing.
Speaker 2: It's hard to talk about a date for a birthday and anti semitism at the same time. I'm not gonna lie. It's really hard.
Speaker 3: It was an odd mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so send us your comments and let us know.
Speaker 4: We have to this episode. I feel like we could get in trouble.
Speaker 2: I'm just giving it a ten based on the fact that it could not be more current.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know what, great, first, this is the first solid all tens there you go ever in the history of nine or two and oers.
Speaker 2: We're dancing with the stars.
Speaker 3: I'm jumping up and down right now. So that's what they do when you get tens. Okay, so next week we're gonna watch that episode and we're gonna talk about it. It's gonna be great, and you guys are all going to have the best week ever because we love you.
Speaker 4: This is true.
Speaker 2: By guys, Happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Thanksgiving, everybody, have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: Meeting. You love you, but