Speaker 1: We've been waiting for this one for a while, we have.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to get into it to see if it met, exceeded or was not anywhere near expectations. Frankly, because I'm yeah, I almost watched this one twice, and I say, all, really yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Had to go back and watch at least the end of the first one because I was confused right from the start.
Speaker 2: Oh right, right, right, Okay, of course of course you are, of course you were. Of course we are talking about whatever the Kirk Cameron was one was where he turns into a dog. We're watching the sequel today.
Speaker 1: Correct, What was that one even called? I'm Kirk Cameron, I'm a dog. What was the name of that was the name of that movie? You lucky dog?
Speaker 4: That's right, key dog.
Speaker 1: Lis.
Speaker 2: So once again on it everybody was lucky except the people that had to watch the movie, though they were not as lucky. But anyway, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS and your popcorn and go back to a time and all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and now we're doing a whole bunch of sequels I'm Wilford Dell.
Speaker 4: And I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 2: It is a big week here on Magical rewind Or merr As I'm going to start calling it as we return to sequel town for the second installment.
Speaker 1: Of a massive and expensive.
Speaker 2: Franchise from modern day Disney Channel. It's time for a film we've been looking forward to for a very long time. It is twenty seventeen's musical fantasy deck Sekendidents two.
Speaker 1: I might be pronouncing that wrong. Is that wrong? It's the Descendants. It's Descendants two, is what it is.
Speaker 2: Two years after the original worldwide phenomenon first aired, everything was perfectly lined up for this sequel announced that that year's D twenty three xpote.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to D twenty three? No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You've never done the D twenty xpo. And you're as big a Disney fan as you are. We got to get you to D twenty three.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm down. It sounds like a perfect place.
Speaker 2: For me, It really is. It sounds like it should be called D twenty three. Sabrina Expo is really what it should be. The movie then aired in the summer of twenty seventeen July twenty first, to be exact, And it was such a big deal for the Disney Company that, for the first time ever, the premiere was simulcast across all of their networks. That means Disney Channel, ABC, Disney XD, free Form, Lifetime, and Lifetime Movies all ran the first run, all at the same time, Sabrina, this is the first d com to air off the channel at all.
Speaker 1: So how big a deal.
Speaker 4: Was this huge?
Speaker 1: It was huge. I mean it's a huge deal.
Speaker 4: It took over Disney as a whole.
Speaker 3: It took a Yes, now, I would assume much like and guys, I know you're getting sick of me with my obsession, but zombies like it's taking everything yea by a storm.
Speaker 1: It really are.
Speaker 2: I don't think Disney because I was on Disney XD for a long time. I don't think Disney XD even exists anymore. And I'm not sure Freeform doesn't it. I think Freeform does, but Disney XD doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, well, the strategy, the gamble, I guess you could call it that. It certainly paid off because the premiere was viewed by just under nine million people, which was an increase from the first movie, and on Disney Channel alone they clocked five point three million viewers.
Speaker 1: That is a huge win for d comms. Who do you hear my voice? Crack I, Peter Brady? A huge win for d coms.
Speaker 2: It's said to have garnered twenty one million viewers in delayed DVR and.
Speaker 1: Streaming watches as well.
Speaker 2: It came in as the second most watched d com ever, beyond only which one.
Speaker 3: High School Musical two year right, oh, High School Music with yes, High School Musical two again, I think with High School Musical two five point one of the million viewers of the five point five I think that watched it just wanted to watch it to see Zach Effron saying to himself in a pond at a golf course.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's why High School Musical two was so amazing.
Speaker 2: And it's good news because at the time, by the Wall Street Journal, this was the most expensive dcom to date, with a budget of twelve to fifteen million dollars, which has now, of course been blown out of the water by Zombies four and the next Descendants movie, which we are patiently waiting for. It was filmed in the dcom capital of the North Toronto and of course British Columbia over the period of one month to every time I see movies this big, I'm kind of amazed they go that fast. But then I see some of the effects and I'm like, yeah, it probably only took a month, and it's creatively set for six months after the first film ended, Disney, as always, was looking to synergize with merch We had the prequel novel, Rise of the Isle of the Loss.
Speaker 1: There were beauty products, backpacks, costumes, jewelry.
Speaker 2: And fashion dolls, and of course, since it's a musical, we have to talk about the soundtrack. It dropped the same day as the premiere and debuted at number six on the Billboard two hundred, eventually going gold with over five hundred thousand sold.
Speaker 1: Did you remember the music from the first movie?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you rotten to the core? Oh right?
Speaker 3: Banger banger, That's okay now. And I just recently went to Disneyland as always, We just went for my daughter's birthday and it's Halloween time already here in Disneyland fashion, they start the holidays so early.
Speaker 4: Oogy boogie bash is bag all of that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, We're back it up What is the Ugy Boogie Bash.
Speaker 3: The Oogie Boogie Bash is at Disneyland California Adventure.
Speaker 4: They closed down the park at six It's a separate ticket you have to get. I went last year.
Speaker 3: It's a whole every it's all Disney, it's a lot of the all the villains are out there. It's lots of different like kinds of things that throughout the park. And then what's the really exciting part, which was for my kids, was there's like tricker treating lines and you go out with bags and bags and bags of candy and also healthy treats as well, which I loved. It's so fun and you get to actually like they really like you know a lot of people dress up in their Halloween costumes, so it's another time to like do a Halloween night with your family.
Speaker 1: I'm told it's Disney Halloween after hours party.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, yes, And it is so fun. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: The lines are so much shorter, like you know, it's and it's it's only open to the people that pay this like special thing.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, weird question. Is there alcohol served?
Speaker 3: California Adventure. Yes, they have like special Halloween type drinks and things.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 4: Okay, special treats.
Speaker 3: There's different kinds of dessert stuff. Yeah, it's like a whole thing. It's so fun. And what I was getting to is Rotten to the Core. Even though we weren't there for Aggie Boogie Bash, we were there during the day. It's Halloween time at Disneyland, and Rotten to the Core is played over and over again. So I was grooving and skipping and just fluttering around because I love, love, love that song.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite descendant song.
Speaker 1: Songs go out of my head so quickly.
Speaker 2: The only song from any one of these things that I can't get out of my head is still that Dean a Teen Beach song. They're dancing on the beach all happy. It's the only damn one I can't get out of my head. But these I didn't remember a single one.
Speaker 3: So many people listening to our wonderful podcast, because I saw a lot of people dressed as teen Beach at the I was leaving California Adventure as Boogey Bash.
Speaker 4: People were coming in their costumes, lots of teen Beach.
Speaker 3: So I'm just so thankful that that many people are listening and caring about magical rewind.
Speaker 1: So thank you everyone at Nice.
Speaker 2: Well, it should come to no surprise to anyone here that you can watch des Sentence to right now in Disney Plus. But the choices, of course yours. You can listen to the podcast first and hear what we think, or you watch it first and then savagely judge us with your already formed opinions.
Speaker 1: The good news is either way, Pyle.
Speaker 2: We served at the end of the competition, Sabrina, the time has finally come. How happy were you to finally see the next chapter?
Speaker 4: Amazing?
Speaker 3: And again I know I read the comments. People are just like so over me being so obsessed with zombies. Nothing compares to zombies. But if you remember, this was The Descendants. The first time we watched was the first time I watched it, and I fell in love with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: I was so excited, especially because there's nothing to look forward to at this point with zombies. So I am like all in for Descendants. I need to like fly to their show, get I.
Speaker 4: Want to see why the tr they're going.
Speaker 3: They are on tour already and it's the Zombies and Descendants like mash up and when I was at the premiere I saw characters that I knew were from Descendants, but have not seen them yet. So I'm just so stoked about getting to know all the other characters that we are going to get introduced to.
Speaker 2: Do we know who's actually on tour from the cast of either of these I don't know there.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it like, are these are all.
Speaker 4: The it's the new it's Freya.
Speaker 1: And okay, it's the new movies.
Speaker 3: Malachi are from the Zombies, so there, and then there are newer characters. And again I don't know the characters that are from Descendants. It's not any of the original one.
Speaker 1: We should go, we should coming here.
Speaker 4: It was already here.
Speaker 3: It happened right after the Zombies premiere, so things were chaotic in both of our schedules.
Speaker 1: We should find a way to go. We'll find awesome.
Speaker 3: It done, so we might have to we might have to like do some flying, which I'm down I would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing. It's almost done. Yeah, we'll have to figure it out.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I was.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to this movie. I definitely was looking forward to this movie. The first one was great. It's bright, it's colorful, it's very clever with the idea of the kids, uh you know, of villains and the kids of the heroes of Disney.
Speaker 1: It's very, very clever. It's a beautifully built world. So yeah, great afters.
Speaker 4: They did a wonderful job in the first one.
Speaker 1: So I was bumped. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: Now you might be chilling like a villain, but it's going down between you and me, So let's get evil. With the synopsis, mal struggles with life as princess in training and returns to the Isle of the Lost, where uma Ursula's daughter is determined to get revenge and descendants, of course, would be nowhere without its insanely talented director Kenny Ortega, one of the greatest choreographers of all time.
Speaker 1: You can repeat this.
Speaker 2: It's like any of the other amazing Disney legends we've talked about on this podcast.
Speaker 1: You can now repeat this list along with the rest of us.
Speaker 2: Kenny worked on movies like Dirty Dancing, Ferris Bueler's Day Off in Pretty in Pink, and with musicians like Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Olivia Newton John until he transitioned into a director. He became a Disney Hall of Famer with movies like Hocus Pocus, Newsy's Cheetah Girls Too, and the Dcom megafranchise High School Musical. He is a Brinks truck for the studio and is treated as such. If these new high school musical rumors are true, I think we could probably expect Kenny to direct that too, don't you think?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine them touching music high school musical without Kenny. I mean, on the on the movie side, you know that that is this is his realm.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is I.
Speaker 2: Can't imagine leads them doing another high school musical and not inviting us to be part of the cast.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's like, hey, it's going to be very we'll call Bart. We'll call Bart. We'll figure out. Yes, we'll get this.
Speaker 2: We'll get well, we'll work our angles and we'll get we'll get it all right. Disney is good at many many things, that much we have established. But the one skill you can expect, no matter what, great casting and getting that cast to return for a sequel. And that's thanks to some ironclad contracts and very expensive lawyers. So descendants to prepare to see all the familiar faces. Dove Cameron, his back is our lead maw. She's the devious daughter of Maleficent and a Channel regular thanks to Live in Maddie, a role that won her in Emmy. The social media megastar has also become a pop sensation and one of young Hollywood's most promising names. Then We've Got Cameron Boyce returns as Carlos, the son of Corella Deville. Boyce's sky was the limit when it came to his abilities in his career, but sadly, he tragically passed away in twenty nineteen at just twenty years old from complications of a seizure. It is such a sad story, and Cameron has been in the news lately after Adam Sandler, who he co starred with in Grown Ups, included footage of him and Happy Gilmore two as cameo and a tribute. Everyone I've talked to who's ever met him said that he was just the nicest person in the world. And every time I see him on camera, it just makes me sad because he.
Speaker 1: Was so talented, so talented.
Speaker 2: Incredible, and he's got he's got that smile that just lights up for screen.
Speaker 4: He's an incredible dancer, his voice is awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean ja he did one move in this thing where I was like, damn, you know it's yeah, It's such a shame, such a shame, But what a legacy he left and such a short amount of time. Sophia Carson is once again Evie, the self obsessed daughter of the evil Queen. She had appeared on the Disney Channel with shows like Austin and Ally and in the Sabrina Carpenter Co Vehicle dcom Adventures and Babysitting, but this franchise was her big breakout. She'd later start in a Pretty Little Liar spin off and movies like Purple Hearts, Carry On and this Year's My Oxford Year. Sophia is currently having what we and the biz call a moment, so expect to see her a lot soon. And one of our favorite names, Booboo Stewart is back. Is Jay, the son of Jafar. He'd appeared in Twilight before this, so he clearly is being type cast as the really good looking guy. He's also the star of the show Good Trouble. And then Mitchell Hope is King Ben once again. Mitchell is best known from these movies, but he will soon appear in a film called Killer Whale. Where he gets trapped in a remote lagoon with a dangerous killer whale.
Speaker 4: I'm in absolutely, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean anytime you're trying to kill.
Speaker 4: At some point in this movie, by.
Speaker 1: The way, exactly right, exactly, No.
Speaker 2: I think the killer Whale is really cool. But then this little kid comes in and frees him, and then King Ben is fine, you're going to call it free the Killer Whale.
Speaker 1: I'll come up with a better title.
Speaker 2: And we have China and McClain as Uma, our newly cast villain, daughter of Ursula. She's a veteran actress who starred in Adam Sandler's Hubie, Halloween and Grown Ups alongside Cameron and part of the main cast for the TV shows Black Lightning and House of Pain. But Disney fans will remember her best as China parks to lead in the show and Farm. And we do not have Kristin Chenaworth or Adina Menzel in this one, unfortunately, but we do have snell alum Bobby moynihan as the voice of Dude. So not necessarily a fair trade, but hey.
Speaker 1: I'll take it.
Speaker 4: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: And uh now I know, okay, I know we're all having fun here. I got to get a little serious on you right now. I've tried my hardest to avoid this, but there's really nowhere to run, there's nowhere to turn to, there's nowhere to hide.
Speaker 1: No one's coming to help.
Speaker 2: This movie has a run time of one hundred and eleven minutes.
Speaker 1: Truly out of their mind. People.
Speaker 2: We look for ninety minutes here on magical re and yet we found ourselves twenty one minutes over the target, a full sitcom episode over the target. That's a new record, only nine minutes below two hours. Yeah, it might as well be a flight from LA to New York. That's just superfluous. I can't believe this decision. Kenny has a lot of explaining to do, Sabrina, Are you as disgusted as I am?
Speaker 3: You know, I felt it. I felt the twenty one minutes where the movie dragged a bit for me. You know, when you check your how much longer is this going on? We're having another situation? I felt it, and.
Speaker 4: I think for me it's like I don't know, it's I don't know what to say about it.
Speaker 3: Because I don't want it to be you know, it's just you feel it.
Speaker 4: You feel it, and it.
Speaker 2: For me, just I also noticed and I wanted to get into this later. There's a huge span of time in the second act there's no song. Yes, they go big chunk and I'm like, there nobody sung anything.
Speaker 1: They're acting, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 3: And then and the story is kind of dragging. It's not like it could have been a little bit quicker. I agree, although.
Speaker 4: You know this cast is stunning.
Speaker 3: Sore to watch their gorgeous faces.
Speaker 1: Really, but it was.
Speaker 3: It did it didn't started to get a little hazy, and you're just kind of like, let's sharpen it up, let's keep it moving.
Speaker 1: Agreed, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we can blame the writers the same powerhouse duo from Descendants the First or well just Descendants like Sarah Parriot and Joe Sam McGibbon. There are movie credits include Three Men in the Little Lady and Runaway Bride, and on TV they wrote on Desperate Housewives, then created The Starter Wife, a show that earned them two Emmy nominations. And now get your nicest outfits press for Cotillion.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Descendants. Deh, That's what they call it in France.
Speaker 2: We are thrown right into this movie feeling a bit of a whiplash. Actually, it's our first song. Seconds into the film, called Ways to Be Wicked, we see mal Evjy and Carlos hovered over a cauldron looking spooky as hell, stirring a pot full of apples, and our villain kids are somehow evil again. They're tormenting Ordon's perfect little high school students with chaos like graffiti and throwing things at the school band while they pledge allegiance to their monster parents. They may have ended the first movie as nice guys, but that's not the case, with the opening number being a horrible influence by encouraging bad behavior and destruction. What the hell is going on, Sabrina? What did you think of the instant song and dance number? Just throwing us right into it?
Speaker 3: I love the instant dance. I love to be like this is a musical buckle up. I'm totally there for that. But I had to immediately pause put on the Descendants one rewinded about fifteen fifteen minutes to just make sure that what I was remembering was correct, in which they like ended at a a dance of some sort, and that everyone was kind of getting you know, we were mushing, the mom was a lizard, like, I mean, I just wanted to make sure I remembered right, so I had to And then I'm going, okay, okay, right. And then I looked and I waited all the way to the end. I watched all the credits to see if there was like.
Speaker 1: You know, like some in case. I was.
Speaker 3: Like, I literally was just waiting to go, like what the heck, because I just you know, and then I went okay, and then I kept going and then it made sense.
Speaker 4: But I did like the music.
Speaker 3: I loved the song. I thought it was great. Also thought the visuals right from the start. I loved the lockers that go through and you know, do the spell out. I love that the flags, all the visuals were there, the flags evil you know.
Speaker 4: I just it was awesome. I really loved it.
Speaker 3: And then I felt like a breath of fresh air in my anxiety heads and as I continued to roll to realize it was a dream scene.
Speaker 1: Thank god, Well it was a dream Secrets.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna say something that might be a little controversial and a little a little bold, but this was some of my favorite music of any dcom that we've seen so far. I thought the songs were almost all bops. Yes, they had a vibe to them that was modern and hip. It didn't seem musical as much as it did almost like a music video, if.
Speaker 3: That makes it felt like a true album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like an album.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I really like and there's one or two slow ones that were a little slow for me, but the bops like this are very catchy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought the music was great.
Speaker 2: So yes, As my lovely co host here just said, it is just a day dream. Mal is actually surrounded by reporters outside of the school. There are only three days left before the Royal Katillion, where she will officially become a Lady of the Court. Sabrina, you seem like the katilion type.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. Did you katillion?
Speaker 3: I did not, you know, but I was, you know, low key, uh, jealous of the friends that I had many friends around. There's a whole katilion thing in our area that I really and I will, honestly, if that's still happening when my kids are at that age, will want to do it. I was always like they were learning specific dances, they were learning about tablewear, etiquette, all of that stuff. They got to dress up in these like super cute dresses all the time. This was like a once a week thing. At the end there was like a graduation of it, which was the party that I obviously wasn't invited to.
Speaker 4: I mean just there was a lot of stuff to be sort of jealous about.
Speaker 1: So did you do your Kingsnira? No, I didn't do your kna either.
Speaker 3: No, not get a king Sennia. My dad really let me down on that one.
Speaker 4: Oh man, Yeah, that would have been fun too.
Speaker 3: I'd had a good sixteenth birthday, a really fun inspects birthday, but not a katillion.
Speaker 1: Well, we won't tell people you're act age.
Speaker 2: So when I learned how to say thirty in Spanish, then that we'll have to throw that party for you, all right, thirty year.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is, but I thought you would have had a continuerrate.
Speaker 2: No, no, Cotilion. We were not ktillion people in our town either. Like I don't think any of the girls went to a Kittilian or we had any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Now a big thing is, since I've grown up, a thing that a lot of my friends that I know that have kids going through high school's call is NCL, which is National Charity League, and they have a big debutante ball at the end where you're all in white dresses and all of that. Totally into that too. We will get that on for Monroe. Love those kinds of things that you're right, although I didn't get to participate in it, so down Monroe will be in all of them.
Speaker 1: I'm going to live through Monroe.
Speaker 3: She's hey, that's part of getting to be a parent, you get to do some of those kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: So the reporters want to know if Mal has seen herself as a lady of the court. And we notice her hesitation, and we noticed now that her hair is blonde, no more purple. While it is a totally different look. She is accosted by the reporters. Ben finally steps in with the fairy godmother, who shushes the media off campus. Ben suggests they go somewhere on vacation to get away, but before he can plan anything, he realizes.
Speaker 1: He's late for a council meeting.
Speaker 2: Evie pulls mallaway to get fitted for a very tight yellow and blue gown with matching shoes. Of course, Mal complains about her busy schedule and wonders what life would be like if they were back on the Evil Island. They're interrupted by a news report showing footage of Ben and Mal, deemed the royal couple, dining with a lot of strawberries. They're pictured with Aladdin and Jasmine. Mal rushes off to one of her spell books so she can speed read a book about manners, but Evie sees this as cheating and knows Ben wouldn't like any secrets between them, and even though Mal said she needs help, Evie takes the book away. Mal admits she misses running wild and breaking the rules by stealing, lying and fighting back home, but Evie doesn't miss it. She loves Ordon and wants to leave.
Speaker 1: The past in the past.
Speaker 2: The next day, at school, the Core four that's Mal, Carlos, ev and Jay are walking together and every girl in school is flirting with Jay to be his cotillion date, but he's going solo. Okay, I got a question for you high school. You're in high school?
Speaker 1: Are you a Carlos or are you a j Fan?
Speaker 2: J You are Okay, the big, muscly, long hair, sporty kind of guy.
Speaker 4: Not long hair. That would have been probably my breaking point with it?
Speaker 1: But you don't like long hair on dudes?
Speaker 4: No, I still don't.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, so you must have hated me.
Speaker 4: I can't do the man bun thing, can't.
Speaker 1: Oh No, man bun is different than long hair.
Speaker 2: Like I like having hair, I know, but you don't have to put it in a man I never put my long hair.
Speaker 1: In a man bun.
Speaker 3: When your hair has has your hair been that long? Has it been Jay's long length?
Speaker 2: Maybe not that long, but pretty long middle like down past the shoulders, middle of the back kind of really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my hair.
Speaker 2: My problem is it's just too thick. So it's like a giant lion's mane.
Speaker 4: So it looks like a wig almost because it does.
Speaker 2: It does it looks like you remember the old pictures of sig Fried and Roy from back in the day, like when they had the big Like, that's what I look like.
Speaker 3: My Jordan, of my husband, when he was in junior high before he started high school, had long, thick hair, but it was like down to his shoulders.
Speaker 4: So I'd see pictures of it. But to me, that looks like young Like it's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I've always I've always liked long hair. I think it's my need to be a Viking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh okay, that's different.
Speaker 1: That is different.
Speaker 4: We are getting into a different realm.
Speaker 1: There, we are, We definitely are. And by the way, I would make a horrible Viking. It would be terrible. We're like it gets cooked enough. No, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: So yes, every girl in the school is flirting with Jay to be his skatilian date, but he's going solo so he can dance.
Speaker 1: With all of them. What a player. That reminds me of the joke about the two bulls. Look it up. You know you know the joke. You know you must know the joke, right, No, you do? Okay, good. Meanwhile, Carlos is.
Speaker 2: Having trouble asking a girl named Jane, who is on the preparation committee and needs a lot of answers from Mal. But Mal looks overwhelmed by these responsibilities. She's immediately struck and shocked by something. Her eyes turned green and it quickly passes. She turns back to normal, giving Jane some of the answers she needed, but something is definitely brewing, and that's when Mal realized say that the cotillion is a pre wedding engagement and panics. We also learned that Ben is secretly and talks with Jane about making a stained glass decoration for the big event. Meanwhile, now Chad Charming is at Evie's getting his Cotillion suit tailored, hoping to be picked as king to impress Aubrey. His now ex girlfriend Jay walks by and alerts Chad there's a fencing team.
Speaker 1: Meeting in the amphitheater. In five minutes.
Speaker 2: The athletes leave, and Evie's nerdy assistant Doug, who remember is the son of Dopey, alerts.
Speaker 1: Evie that with Oliver seamstress work, she is rich.
Speaker 2: He thinks one day she'll even be able to buy that castle that she wants and won't even need a prince.
Speaker 1: But she insists she doesn't need a prince because she.
Speaker 2: Has nerdy Doug, and I gotta be honest with you, my favorite relationship of the entire movie, So this.
Speaker 4: One is adorable.
Speaker 2: He is kicking so far out of his coverage, and I am proud of him because it is awesome.
Speaker 1: I love these two and I want an entire movie of just the two events. I know, total spin off awesome.
Speaker 2: In the hallway, a frantic Mau is at her locker when Ben surprises her. She's obviously still very show by how Cotilion seems to be setting her up for the rest of her life, which, again, when you're sixteen or seventeen, seems to be an awful lot. Ben is another surprise for her too, but first he notices her spell book in the locker. He thought she donated that to a museum, and she quickly.
Speaker 1: Changes the subject.
Speaker 2: Ben drags her maybe five feet away three feet away from the lockers to reveal a brand new purple scooter moped type thing, which is huge, something she clearly would have seen before he pointed it.
Speaker 1: Out to her.
Speaker 2: It was literally next to her locker. Hey, when'd you get this new purple moped?
Speaker 1: Where? Where is this.
Speaker 2: Or not?
Speaker 4: Whose is that? Why are they? Why on why is it in the hallway?
Speaker 2: As many questions that come with the giant purple moped that's there. I feel like it's something she would immediately see, but either way, she loves it and wants to pay him back somehow. He says they're picnic today, will do the trick, but mal has obviously forgotten that plan. She lies and pretends she's got everything covered and runs off over at the ampitheater, the fencing.
Speaker 1: Team is practicing, and since the sport forces you to.
Speaker 2: Wear a helmet, we get a group of stunt doubles doing some very cool work here. That was one thing about this movie that I like quite a bit is they made more actiony kind of sword fighty stuff that was reminiscent of the old pirate movies and.
Speaker 4: And something we had fun an actual fight fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with kicking and punching and sword fighting and hostages and not have not seen so far now, And it was done in a very Disney esque way and still would have been okay for kids.
Speaker 1: I always remembered my friend and I.
Speaker 2: Pitching something to Disney thirty years ago, whatever it was, and the people at Disney we pitched you always said, if you're doing anything like this, remember action, not violence.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what this was.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of action with very little violence, which is a great combination that exactly what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the sword fighting was very very cool.
Speaker 2: And Jay ends up in an intense battle with an unknown opponent, and even though it's just practice, it gets very heated and Jay almost loses the foe remove who's their helmet? And it's a girl what girls can't do?
Speaker 1: Yes, they can.
Speaker 2: They're awesome because it's Lannie, who's Mulan's daughter, and everyone is impressed.
Speaker 1: She wants on the team.
Speaker 2: But Chad, of course, being Chad, isn't He's a real Chad in this movie, isn't having it. They'll be the laughing stock of the league. And the rule book says a team has eight men and no women. Carlos also spots Jane and tries to ask her to the cotillion, but once again chickens out and she painfully friend zones him.
Speaker 1: Even his nearby dog Dude, is embarrassed for him.
Speaker 2: And I like this scene because it looked like they tried to do it like a Disney princess where she's at the top of the balcony and he's standing below and he's looking up, but he doesn't have the guts to ask about it. Was that a nice Disney moment.
Speaker 3: Kenny Ortega is just amazing, like beautiful keeping it in that Disney realm.
Speaker 4: Everything we want is right there, all because of Kenny.
Speaker 2: There was a number of different ties into just old school Disney shots in this movie where it's like they're bringing it back, and I was here.
Speaker 1: For all of it. Yes.
Speaker 2: Later in Carlos's room, a panic mouse storms in. The pure is getting to her and she has another green eyed attack, snapping out of it, but this time with a little more effort needed. She admits she misses being evil, but knows everyone around her loves the new surroundings. Carlos just wants to know if she brought it, but before we can learn what it is, Chad wants Chad again. This guy sneaks into Carlos's room with a stolen key. He says he was just planning to use the three D printer, but after getting caught, he just leaves.
Speaker 1: Now alone again.
Speaker 2: We learned that it was a truth gummy and the only thing going through my head was they were doing drugs. It will give Carlos the ability to tell Jane exactly what it's Seriously, It's like, you bring my gummy. It's like, come on, I want to I want to drop some acid before I go to class.
Speaker 3: I yeah that this was a little like uh oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Take a truth gummy.
Speaker 2: By the way, any any good THC gummy eventually becomes a truth gummy. It will also give Carlos the ability to tell Jane exactly what he's thinking, but it'll also make him tell the truth about everything in his life. But just as he's about to it, says take it. But I'm gonna say drop it, because that's what he's gonna do. Carlos's dog, Dude eats the gummy. Oh and that's when dude starts talking, yep, talking, and the pup immediately tells Carlos to just man up and help him scratch his butt.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't get.
Speaker 2: The point of the talking dog. I'll be honest with you. First of all, it's a truth gummy. It's not a magic gummy that makes a dog talk.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: It was like, I get where they're going, but then use the dog to do I mean, I get they use him later in the one thing to kind of prove yeah, they're they're the wand works.
Speaker 1: I get that, but it just.
Speaker 2: Seemed kind of unnecessary to me to have to animate the dog. Yeah talking, I maybe he's bigger in the future movies. And hearing Bobby Morynhan was great, but it was just kind of like, all right, I didn't I didn't know if this was new. And then we got a lot of scratching his butt jokes, and it's like, Okay, I don't just.
Speaker 3: Didn't Yeah, I just I mean, I feel like it was a great idea. They certainly had the budget to do something like this, right, but I don't know if it was necessarily executed to its fullest.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I also felt like, as of because I'm a voiceover actor, it's what I primarily do, I felt like it Normally, we go and we record the voice, and then they animate your mouth around the voice, and that's how it looks the best. They you know, you go and you lay down the track and then they go and they animate around you. So they can actually I've seen it. There's a very interesting back in the day when it was drawing all the vowels, all the consonants, everything, they have pictures of how your mouth looks when you make them, and the animators can actually animate perfectly around whatever sound your mouth is making. This one looked to me like they were having the actors speak almost as slowly as possible so they.
Speaker 1: Can make the mouth flaps fit. Oh and so it didn't.
Speaker 2: It looked like it was like, hey, come over here and scratch my butt instead.
Speaker 1: Of as a voiceover act, you'd be like, yeah, come on, get over here, you know, you know you want to scratch my butt.
Speaker 2: But it seemed like they couldn't have him talking fast, so it was kind of like, hey, I'm just here to help you, and it's like okay, and it just it didn't seem to kind of fit. So that was as a voiceover actor that drove me crazy wherever.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, let him just.
Speaker 2: Act and then animate the dog's mouth around it instead of trying to have him talk slow.
Speaker 3: Yes, and even not being that knowledgeable in it, it still was just kind of like you were expecting the dog to do something more than what he ends.
Speaker 4: Up doing within the movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, and again you know we all know that that takes money out of your budget to have something like that a part of the production, right, So it was kind of like, you know, this isn't the only myths they do with those kinds.
Speaker 1: Of oh, I agree, extra little bonuses. I agree.
Speaker 2: The other thing is they were kind of trying to go for it, but they didn't go nearly far enough with the talking dog, which is he also ate a truth gummy, and the whole point of the truth gummy is that you tell the truth all the time. So they could have more. I've got fleas and hey, your feet stink. I mean, there's so many other things they could have. They seem to just now the gummy made him talk, but didn't really make him tell the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way he was supposed.
Speaker 4: To do, which is so which is a rule?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well again you they set the rules. It's like it's literally called the truth gummy. Okay, well it's gonna make you tell the truth about everything, ye okay.
Speaker 1: Well then it made the dog talk just a little bit. What okay, Yeah, so anyway, just a little bit. Yeah, anyway. Uh, them are on the Aisle of the Lost.
Speaker 2: That's right, we are back for the first time in this movie, and a smirking Harry, the son of Captain Hook. We know this because he's wearing a fake hook walks through town, eventually landing in the saloon. Good looking dude, by the way, right off the bat, it's like, okay, cool looking guy, good looking dude holding the hook. Yeah, so it was I could see that I personally, as I'm watching this now, trying to watch it as a kid. See a bunch of eleven and twelve year old girls like having posters of this guy.
Speaker 1: On their wall. Totally you know, the bad, bad boy kind of thing.
Speaker 3: His accent that he does, his mannerisms totally gave me baby Johnny.
Speaker 1: Depp, like, oh okay, interesting that I.
Speaker 3: Feel like he would because he wasn't basing him off of Like for me, it looks like this actor wasn't basing it off of like the.
Speaker 4: Cartoon Hook No, or even the movie or the movie Hook with Robin Williams. He wasn't basing it off of that.
Speaker 3: He was looking into what makes sense because this audience, if they've seen anything really on, like you know what a like a captain, like a pirate would be, would be Pirates.
Speaker 4: Of the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: So he went more with that, Johnny Depp, and it was here for it.
Speaker 2: It definitely yes. He walks through town, eventually landing in a saloon. He turns on the bars TV to see mal just as Uma, the daughter of Ursula, enters, looking totally cool.
Speaker 1: She throws food at the screen.
Speaker 2: This little pirate crew, which also includes Gil, the son of Gaston, sees our core forest traders who turn their back on evil. Uma is ready to seek revenge, especially on mal and we get our second song, and again there was a very big break between song number one and song number two.
Speaker 1: The basing of.
Speaker 2: The songs in this movie I found to be very odd, but I loved the songs, including this one, It's What's My Name, which is a big bad guy introduction.
Speaker 1: What did you think of this?
Speaker 3: Uh uh, Sabrina, Oh, this might be my favorite song of this movie.
Speaker 1: It was great. It was great.
Speaker 4: The choreo was so good.
Speaker 3: These dancers were incredible, the visuals that they used with the choreo, and then it like they really worked this set.
Speaker 4: Just like Rotten to the coo.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it makes you like open your eyes and look at this insane set that they have. They're swinging on things, they're jumping, they're using the tables, they're different level. I mean, there's all these levels. Then we start getting props, we've got swords, We've got I mean.
Speaker 4: It was so good.
Speaker 3: Her voice is just phenomenal, Like I just I mean, it was so such a good movie and was like, oh my, here we are. We're here, and we've got new villains and these villains are badass. It's a great villas, a great villain and are dumb dumb from Guston perfectly created.
Speaker 4: Like I mean, it's just so so good.
Speaker 3: It really pumped me up for like, this is our first time seeing that the fresh faces we're gonna see in this movie, and I was like, yes, we've nailed it, nailed on d let's move forward.
Speaker 1: I agree percent.
Speaker 2: As the song ends, we get a big special effects tentacle octopus.
Speaker 1: Arm entering the saloon.
Speaker 2: I have a problem with all of these special effects, but we'll get into that. It's supposed to be an angry ursula from the next room. She apparently owns the place on the other side of the ocean. Things are romantic on malan Ben's picnic date. Mal is somehow able to get tons of food in time, and Ben is very impressed, but when he finds the spell book in her picnic basket, he realizes she's been using dark magic to fit in. She tries to reverse what he discovered, and that makes him even angrier. Yeah, hey, maybe on a date, don't try to erase my memory. They get into a heated argument, with mal admitting she just isn't princess material.
Speaker 1: She sees herself as a phony.
Speaker 2: She storms off, revealed she actually only made one peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which well turned out to be Ben's favorite.
Speaker 1: Back in the room, a.
Speaker 2: Crying Mal decides she's ready to blow this popsicle stand. She grabs her lizard and drives off on her new purple moped. She uses the spellbook to cross the ocean, glide back into the Aisle of the Lost, and find a secret loft.
Speaker 3: And she's like sorry, it is like, okay, I've got to get out of here, but I'm gonna use that gift you gave me, so.
Speaker 1: Like what a typical girl.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, No, like you need to if you're gonna go, go, honey.
Speaker 4: Do not take his his gift he gave you, go on your own. Why don't you try walking now?
Speaker 3: Okay it's hers, Oh no, no, no, You're gonna try to.
Speaker 4: Make a statement about how strong you are and how you.
Speaker 1: Just can't make his life.
Speaker 3: Leave all this stuff behind, start walking your ass back over to that aisle. Like I can't even handle that. I was so like, you're gonna take them. You're taking the mot Okay, we're taking the moped, all right, that's great.
Speaker 2: Ann and our don Ben is in his office when Evie arrives with the news, and I love that when he's like on the phone with like, please tell Lemuore, I need to speak with him about like all the kind of Disney references that they're making in these little throw offs are great. He's in his office when Evie arrives with the news that Mal has left for the island. She left behind his ring in a note week Ben immediately blames himself and the stress of ktillion.
Speaker 1: Of course he's blaming himself.
Speaker 2: He wants to go to the island and beg for her to return, so Evie asked to tag along. They decide to invite the boys too because safety and numbers, but Evie makes Ben promise to change his clothes and make sure he doesn't leave her there. Simultaneously, on the island, Mal visits Lady Tremaine's Curl Up and Die hair salon with paint splattered everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a Disney question for you. Yes, who who is Disney? Who is Dizzey related to who's Lady Tremaine? I didn't want to google. I wanted you to tell me.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this is the evil stepmom of Cinderella.
Speaker 2: Ah okay, and she's Cinderella. Cinderella's evil stepmother is called Lady Tremaine. I'm not sure I every knew that, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 4: Per and Dizzy is her granddaughter.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha? Gotcha.
Speaker 4: Oh, we didn't even talk about in our cast. Is like a giant little actor now. I mean she has show. Yes, she was on.
Speaker 3: She's XO Kitty is like her. I think Flick show. She's so good. I was son, Yes, I was so happy to see her in this, and then it was also her EXO Kitty was a spin off of another.
Speaker 4: Show that she played the little Sister.
Speaker 3: Very similar, okay, very similar character stars and shines and everything.
Speaker 1: She oh yeah, well so cute and adorable.
Speaker 3: Adorable even now that she's older and she's playing like a girl in high school.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: This is twenty seventeen, so you forget, this is already seven years ago. She was probably eleven there, so she's probably seventeen, eighteen, nineteen years old already.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this is strange to think they grow up so fast.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Dizzy, Tremaine's granddaughter and Evie's mentee, is cleaning up the shop and agrees to help Mouth with a new die job, and so we get a little montage of a return.
Speaker 1: To the evil purple dye.
Speaker 2: Were we happy to see her return to her root pun totally intended?
Speaker 3: I actually, of course I was, although I did love the blonde. That's what Dove Cameron looks like on red Carpet. She's stunning and she has this gorgeous blonde air. I loved the purple.
Speaker 4: Tips, still kind of keeping it in realm. But what I love the most is this wig.
Speaker 3: Was like seven thousand times better than the first wig of the first movie.
Speaker 4: That wig I went.
Speaker 3: And then when they later on, they'll do a couple of you know, a montage of older shots when she was in the first movie. This wig is stunning on her. I love the bangs. I love the color being a little bit lighter.
Speaker 4: I was really into.
Speaker 1: The way I went.
Speaker 4: Damn it. I wish I would have had enough time. I wanted to do a purple wig for this episode.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna have to make sure when we do des Sentence three, I gotta bring the wig back.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta a good one.
Speaker 2: A big fan of the color, never been a fan of bangs. Susan knows that no, not at all, not a bang.
Speaker 1: God, one person can pull off bangs and she just got engaged.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I cannot believe you know that? Will?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 4: My what do you mean? Of course you don't listen to the radio. You go on Instagram?
Speaker 1: Where are you married?
Speaker 2: Do you think my wife didn't run any Oh my god, Taylor Swift gotta gate like it, like it? Oh my god, are we invited? Because if not, how does this affect my life?
Speaker 3: Why do you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly?
Speaker 4: Okay, So you like some Tea Swift bags, guy, that's.
Speaker 1: It, right, Lady, Taylor is the only one that can. Actually, you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have girls showing up at all those cons you you start going to with those damn bangs, and they're gonna be perfect Tea Swift bangs.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you that's the way it is.
Speaker 5: Do you love sex in the City? Now you can relive the magic from the very beginning, every date, every heartbreak, every Cosmopolitan with me Kristin Davis aka Charlotte Yorick on my podcast Are You a Charlotte? I'm rediscovering the show that we all love so much, episode by episode, open your free iHeartRadio app search Are you a Charlotte and listen now?
Speaker 2: Once Mel pays the little helper, pirate Harry arrives and shakes down the kid for the money.
Speaker 1: He eventually sees Mal and can't wait to tell Uma.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, now the Core three plus Ben, who is dressed like a goth high schooler, takes a limo across the ocean. The plan is to avoid their parents and blend in, which isn't easy, especially since Eve is immediately robbed by two little kids and Ben unsuccessfully tries to introduce himself to an angry pirate. He's instructed to be mean and relaxed, which leads to our next song, Chilling Like a Villain, a step by step instruction manual on how to survive the island.
Speaker 1: I loved this song again.
Speaker 3: I loved it, and I loved that the chorus kept coming back and then we were doing the same movement. I was like, this is perfect. This is Genny in his like whole realm, Like, let's not just have awesome songs, let's give kids choreography to like easily learn and bop along with us Janie man Arm And.
Speaker 2: When the song comes to a close, they bump into gil uh Oh. It takes a minute, but he figures out who they are and runs off to Uma. Ev takes Ben to Mao's loft, where she's spray painting a very impressive mural. Ben immediately apologizes for the fight, taking all the blame and begging her to come home, but Mal says she is home. She doesn't think she can change and knows the kingdom will eventually turn on her. He professes his love to her, but she can't say it back. She doesn't accept the ring, tells him to leave, and goes back to spray painting a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: While once again keeping his moped. He rejoins the group and tells them the bad news, and just.
Speaker 2: As Evie tries to start thinking of a plan to get Mal to change her mind, they realize Ben has walked off and they only.
Speaker 1: See Harry Hook.
Speaker 2: Junior admits they've taken Ben and the only way to see him again is to bring Malt to Ursula's restaurant tonight. Whould have predicted Ursula had a restaurant, not an obvious career path in my opinion, but that kind of makes sense.
Speaker 1: I guess nice fish fry like she's cooking like a fellow fish. But anyway, and with.
Speaker 4: The fish and chips was interesting.
Speaker 3: That was part of one of my that's what the name was, Ursula's fish and chips, And it was interesting because.
Speaker 1: She's a fish, she's like eating fellow fish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was ya.
Speaker 2: It's like why not serve Kalamari Ursula geese. And with these new developments, they finally get to Mal, who knows Uma wants her, so she confidently goes to the restaurant alone and upon arrival is immediately tense.
Speaker 1: The two girls have a war of words.
Speaker 2: Mal wants Ben back and Uma asks for better conditions on the island for the poor.
Speaker 1: They decide to arm wrestle.
Speaker 2: If malwyn she gets back Ben, but if Uma win, she gets the fairy Godmother's wand and when the villain is victorious, Mal knows this is going to be very, very bad. Mal returns to the group and they brainstorm an idea of how to deliver a fake wand then sneak Ben off the island. But before they get into deep into planning, they visit Young Dizzy, the tiny hairdresser, who is happy to see Evie.
Speaker 1: They use the.
Speaker 2: Girl's workspace to make smoke bombs, and Evie borrows a tiara that the girl made. As they leave, Evie is visibly sad, knowing the young girl is stuck in her grandma's studio unable to grow. And then the boys are back at their doorroom to use the three D printer for the wand and they catch Chad back in Carlos's room without permission. Such a Chad, he's making an action figure of himself. When do the Dog reveals that Ben has been captured, We also notice that Lonnie overheard everything while walking by. On their way back to the island loft, Mal tells ev she is definitely not coming back to Orodon, but encourages her friend to stay there, and this leads to our next song space between a song about their long friendship and the hope they'll keep in touch. We also see clips from Descendant one, which, if I'm honest, when you're halfway through the second one, you don't need a retrospective cutting back to the first one. It's like we've we're not that far in. When you're in the third and fourth movie, you cut back to the first one. You don't need to cut back to the first time Hunger Games when you're in the second Hunger Games, Like, but.
Speaker 3: I think this would be part of number one. Did we one hundred percent need this song?
Speaker 1: No, we did. This is one of the part of.
Speaker 4: The twenty one minutes.
Speaker 3: But I did like But even though like within the storyline, I did like the song. I love the message of the song. I think this is a very relatable theme for girls, especially as they're growing up and they're they're changing, you know, their their interests are changing, They're they're they're maybe getting boyfriends or new friend groups or whatever, and you grow up with somebody for so long and you start kind of going maybe separate ways. This is so relatable for girls and guys. I'm sure too, but like for girls to really have this like we're we are connected and no matter how far we go, we are always going to be our classes.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 3: Guy, Yeah, but some guys are right. But so I I really loved that theme. But was it one hundred percent necessary? No, But they also made it very clear there was no time in the timeframe to go anywhere else and film anything else. They were all like just right in that one little area outside of Mal's house or sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever that's called loft.
Speaker 1: Secret loft was at.
Speaker 3: A secret loft, so I think that was the only way they could kind of add a little bit more than just walking in the around that, right.
Speaker 2: And of course the two of them together with the voices that they have, you're never going to go wrong.
Speaker 1: It's great, So it just might.
Speaker 2: It might have been one, like if I had to cut a song, this probably would have been the one. But it wasn't, like, oh my god, I can't believe I have to sit through this again. You've got two great actresses with phenomenal voices, so it worked, right.
Speaker 1: And then we're back at the dorm.
Speaker 2: The one is finally finishing on their way out there, spotted by Doug who wants to know where Evie is. They say she's camping, which I must say is a pretty good lie. And then Lonnie surprises them too. She's overheard everything. She gives them an ultimatum. She's either going to join them or she's going to tell the fairy Godmother that Ben is gone. And now we're on the pirate ship, which is an incredibly which is an incredible computer graphic set. Ben is all tied up, held captive and he's said to be I imagine killed. In thirty minutes, Uma learns that Mal broke up with him and seems very interested. She reiterates her plan is for fairness when it comes to class warfare on the island, which, if we're Hona, seems like a pretty reasonable platform to take. It's, you know, kind of hard to hate her for that, and she wants everyone to be on a level playing field. Ben says his plan is to bring more and more people to Orodon and invites Uma first, but she's not fully sold. It seems like maybe she has something up her sleeve. Soon after, the boys, now with Lannie and Dude the dog who hid in the trunk, make it back to the island with the limo, now with the three D printed wand in hand, and with Dude told to stay in the limo again.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, yeah, the dog just added another level to me. But anyway, they make.
Speaker 2: It to the ship just in time for our next number, a rap song called It's Going Down, all about the upcoming trade wand for king or else.
Speaker 1: Ben walks the plank. Did you like this one?
Speaker 4: This wasn't necessarily my favorite one?
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't my favorite either wasn't bad, but it.
Speaker 4: Was wasn't bad. No, it wasn't bad at all.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm like totally into the sets and all of the things that are happening. But you know, if you had to pick and choose, I liked it. It just wasn't one of those ones where I was like, damn, this is so good, like all around good. The song's great, the visuals are great, but like I mean, there were other ones that just jumped out of the screen to me, and this wasn't necessarily that one.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because at first, when I saw the set and I saw the water and I saw kind of some of the cheesy.
Speaker 1: Effects, I was like, ugh, this doesn't look very good. And then it hit me.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's not supposed to It's supposed to look like a Disney fairytale land. Yeah, that's the point that the water is supposed to be a different color, the pirate ship's supposed to look That's the whole point.
Speaker 3: Set was my favorite part, to be honest, like, and we're getting into we're about to get into my like one of my favorite scenes that just made me feel like this gives me all the disney Kid for me too, Yes, totally, but yeah, I mean I get it. Yeah, first you're kind of like, okay, but then you know it is. But the song itself was just kind of like another good song. It wasn't like this amazing song. But the set is what we have to get into when we get into this next scene. Because I was smiling ear to ear.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of Hook.
Speaker 3: Favorite movies of all times is Hook and this was Hook, the powder throwing, like all of it, the like, I mean, oh my gosh, it.
Speaker 4: Was so so cute. I loved it.
Speaker 1: I agreed it. I agree.
Speaker 2: I had to get out of my own head because I was like, look very good. But I'm like, oh no, it's not supposed to it's supposed to look like Hook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's supposed to look like Disney like it's like at Disneyland.
Speaker 2: And when I got that out of my head and saw it for what it was, I was like, it's perfect.
Speaker 1: It's pretty much perfect.
Speaker 2: Yes, And now just before the trade has made, Uma wants to see the wand at work to make sure she's getting the real deal. Oh, drive it before you buy it. Luckily, dude, the dog has disobeyed orders and is now in the ship. So, thinking on her toes, Mal uses the wand to quote give him a voice unquote, something we know he already has. And so when due the dog clearly asked, does this vest make me look fat? The wand looks legit. Harry releases the king and the trade is officially made. The Ordon group high tails out just as Uma figures out the one is useless. It becomes an all out war with the good guys using their smoke bombs and the pirates in full pirrating mode. We get sword fights, which Lani's very good at. We see rope swinging with people falling into the ocean. It's all very cool, and we get a lot of Kenny Ortega fight choreography, which is superb. It ends with the gang finally getting away and back in a limo, but oh no, Mal has accidentally left behind her spell book. What a damn nightmare, But what a scene. On the way back, Ben admits that Uma has made him see the truth. She just got angry that her people don't get the same opportunities, which makes sense. Also, we get the feeling that he thought Uma was pretty cute back at school with the cotillion just hours away. Ben offers Mal the chance to back out. Conflicted the core ford, so I had to talk it out together. Mal is broken. The stress is too much for her, but they encourage her to give it a chance. And Evie's even gonna make some changes to her dress so she feels more comfortable, and Dude even gives Carlos some words of wisdom, finally getting them to ask Jane out. She says yes, even to a suggestion they become more than friends. Ooh ooh really And over at team practice, Jay announces he found a loophole and adds Lani as the new captain. They needed a captain and eight men. Okay, well didn't say the captain couldn't be a woman. So things are really coming together over in Evie's room, and I'm sorry, but my favorite part of that scene was she gets to be captain. She puts on the thing and she looks at him. She goes, I can't wait to tell my mom where It's like, can you imagine telling Mulan I was just made the captain of the fencing team. Totally cool Disney moment. It's little moments like that that just to make.
Speaker 4: This movie so special.
Speaker 3: It does because if you are, especially if you are a Disney fanatic, you hear every single one of those little things, little to register all of them, and they always just do it.
Speaker 4: It's never like a giant moment.
Speaker 3: It's just like small, little, tiny moments that just mean so much and completely ties the whole Disney world together as one big universe.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Disney comes to you tomorrow and they say pick, Yes, you can be in the next Descent.
Speaker 1: Yes, you gotta pick. You can't just.
Speaker 2: Say yes you can be in the next Descendants movie, or you can be in the next Zombies movie, but it can only be one.
Speaker 1: Which will do Ah.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love the Zombies. I think this is the hard part. If it were Descendants, I wouldn't need to read the script. I'd be down right the Zombies. I would kind of want to read the script and see what the new monster is because I would know, like you know what I mean, like knowing the level of creativity that they do with any of the characters that I already know, like make me you know, Rapunzel's mom or something like that. Like I would totally be fine with any of that, but with the Zombies. It's like you, you don't know what you're gonna play. Every monster comes and they're all awesome. But that would make me a little bit more nervous. So I think I might go with I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I can't do it. I can't do it. I can't because I would love the Zombies I think so bad.
Speaker 3: I want to Paul so bad. But I want to work with Kenny so bad. Both of the franchises are so good.
Speaker 2: The I mean, I don't know, I don't I'm leaning towards the Zober.
Speaker 3: The chance of miss like missing a chance to work with Paul Owen again. I just can't see myself ever doing that. I know this would be a really tough one.
Speaker 1: Well, then we're just gonna have to be.
Speaker 4: I would need somebody else to make the decision for me.
Speaker 1: I think we're just gonna have to be in both. It's fine. Yes.
Speaker 2: Over in Evie's room, Doug is offended that he wasn't invited camping, and he's nervous that she went with another guy. To calm his suspicion, she tells him all about Ben being kidnapped and kisses him on the cheek and now they're off to work on Mal's alterations. Chad, once again unlawfully hanging out in Carlos's room, gets a call from his ex Audrey, and leaves on a six hour drive to help with a flat tire. This guy was a simp and none of this needed to be in the movie. The entire Chad storyline had no point. It is a useless storyline. Cut that down and get closer to our time because it didn't pay off.
Speaker 3: It wasn't funny, Sabrina seas. There was no reason, none, except for it was kind of funny that he He definitely played a huge part on this three D machine thing that he had, so you really got the sense that that was going to obviously be used.
Speaker 1: Do it once? Yeah, you know, just like the four times they cut to this guy. I know, no payoff. Yeah, that's easy to cut it. Cut that story and it might.
Speaker 3: Have been that might have taken us down to good like twelve minutes over.
Speaker 2: Yes, and again it's a terrible thing to say to cut out an actress performance because he wasn't bad. No, and you don't want to say you need to fire that guy, not by any stretch but it's just if you're gonna have him in the movie and you're gonna waste time having him in the movie, then have it mean something. Yeah, because the storyline there's he was literally just there.
Speaker 4: He He would.
Speaker 3: Have been a great character for somebody who to be like I want to go to the aisle as well, like I he finds like a new girlfriend, he like tagged along, found like a.
Speaker 1: New states a villain.
Speaker 4: It's a villain. Like we haven't done that, we haven't had someone like.
Speaker 1: Leave or on with you and go the other way. Yeah, yeah, like something.
Speaker 4: That could have been something that would have made it feel a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Maybe that happens in the next one. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but maybe they're setting it up because they didn't do any anything with this one. But anyway, it is now the night of the Cotillion. Evie is on the Step and Repeat and wearing Dizzy's jewelry, praising her to the reporters. Jane also introduces her date Carlos to her mom. The fairy godmother mal finally arrives at Miss pomp and Circumstance. It's a little edgier of a dress that fits her personally much much better King Ben than enters and he's followed by, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, it's uma, what the f yes? And I was like what.
Speaker 2: I kind of knew what was happening, but I was still like, what is going on? Kids must have been like, yeah.
Speaker 3: They've must have lost their goddamn lines when they watched the premiere of this, like I mean, and it was played so well too, so well by all of the responses, and like you can see in Dove Cameron's eyes as an actor, the choices she made, you can see it in her eyes of this trying to put the pieces together. I mean, it was such a good scene for her, for sure. And the only thing I needed was a little bit more clarity of what kind of spell because she had like a necklace and I'm like, oh, are we doing like sort of a spin off of Ursula who has like her voice in the shell?
Speaker 1: Like is that it?
Speaker 3: And it kind of sparkled this starts to get it's to me. This is when I'm starting to get a little fuzzy of where the intentions are and I.
Speaker 4: Needed a little bit more detailed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was it a potion? Was something? Yeah?
Speaker 4: We get him under the trance.
Speaker 2: It was like glass eyed, and like he looked like he was a little under a trance. It was like, I mean, I knew instantly what it was. But if I'm twelve or thirty, or you know, eleven or twelve, it's like.
Speaker 1: Why is he with her now? He couldn't have fallen in love. I imagine it would have been crazy. I will all by myself what it was.
Speaker 3: Like in order to break the spell the way that keep okay, keep going, because it's just it's starting to get fuzzy to me and I'm like, wait a minute, how.
Speaker 4: Does this happen?
Speaker 2: So Ben looks very taken by her and helps the villain down the stairs. He kisses her hand and we now see that she's wearing his ring. Mal has been ditched. Ben admits something happened on the island. He fell in love, and so did Uma. It is scandalous, but Uma says she was able to sneak through the portal and swim over and that this is true love.
Speaker 1: And with that, the new couple takes the.
Speaker 2: Floor for their first dance, both sporting big smiles, but even his parents are disturbed. Jane demands that Ben's gift for Mal be revealed and it's a huge stained glass mural that we heard about earlier. It's of him and Mal, and Mal looks like her true villain self, not the Stepford Wives persona she took on to blend in. Apparently that's how he sees and loves her. Ben is magnetized by it, but Uma is furious. She demands to be covered up and asks for her gift from Ben, the decision to bring down the barrier once and for all. And this is the behavior that lets malan Evy know Uma got the spell book. She has been under control. Mal, in a last ditch effort, tries to talk some sense into Ben. She explained she never said I love you because she never felt good enough for him, but now she knows he loves the real her. Uma tries to steal back his attention, but Mal says she loves him, and then they embrace. A true love's kiss knocks him out of the spell. So that's another nice little Disney moment.
Speaker 4: It was, britt, what did you think about the kiss?
Speaker 2: I thought it was a night. I thought it was right in between a peck and a makeout. It was exactly where it's supposed to be. For the first time, you say I love you when you're seventeen or whatever. And the idea that, once again, in pure Disney fashion, true Love's kiss breaks.
Speaker 1: The spell is wonderful.
Speaker 2: And I love how they cut to ev who just says true loves kiss works every time.
Speaker 3: Great Sophia Carson is such a great actor. Oh they're just that little line. I'm like, God, she's just so deemp cute.
Speaker 1: Oh great. So Uma makes a run for it.
Speaker 2: She's gonna jump off the ship, but just before she dives into the water, Mao tries to tell her she's more than just a villain. She can stay in or done if she wants to. Then, as her necklace starts to glow, she turns and jumps into the ocean. On landing, she creates a large whirlpool, completely splashing everyone and emerging from the deep as a huge octopus monster. As the tentacles violently slapped the side of the boat, Malo's eyes turned green once again, and this time she turns into a fire breathing dragon.
Speaker 1: And this is where I'm like.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I get it, and I like it, but it doesn't look good.
Speaker 3: No, I will say, this dragon looks much better than Last Dragon.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: First of all, you're talking about the movie The Last Dragon, which is one of the greatest nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: I'm saying the Last Descendance movie, that Dragon. This Dragon is much better.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the problem is if you're you can't do big.
Speaker 2: Spectacle things like this on the cheap because then all of a sudden it just looks cheap and you're cutting from these these not very well rendered creatures to then the obvious running back and forth on the boat like it like they're not like clearly they're not being moved. It's just everyone Gilligan's Island and going this side and then and so the combination.
Speaker 4: Why are we so scared of water?
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, I know, what is the thing with the like she's just slapping water at.
Speaker 1: Them and everyone?
Speaker 4: Why is that such a big deal?
Speaker 3: I'm I mean, obviously, yes, if I'm in an outfit, if I'm at a wedding and I have done all the things to be at this wedding and looking really great, someone starts slapping me with water, I'm gonna be pissed, But I'm not gonna be like I know.
Speaker 1: So it's in the running back of the combiny.
Speaker 2: It was the combination of the bad CG effects and then the running back and forth, and then it gets into this next part which I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: But first of all, she doesn't even look that big compared to the boat either.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yes, but she looks just like she like the camera's close to her and the boat's just the bit away.
Speaker 4: Like if I took a picture, if I had Jordan take a picture.
Speaker 1: Of me on the beach.
Speaker 3: With the cruise boat, the Disney cruise boat that I'd love to go on, hit me, hit me up, Disney, it would be like.
Speaker 4: That, Like that's what it looked like.
Speaker 3: It looked like the cruise boat was just a little bit farther away. It wasn't like she is actually giant. So it was and I just went, oh no, like we're like, oh, I'm like loving this, And now I've got something that I don't know if I'm gonna get past.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with you at all. So so and here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Dragon Male takes the skies to fight Octopus Uma. It's fire versus water, and the boat is moving back and forth, which is obviously not just the people are moving back and forth pinball between the two monsters, making a lot of the passengers at least appear as if they're sick. And now this is where again I was like, really, and now Ben is seen.
Speaker 1: Enough, so he roars as if he's beast because his dad is Beast from Beauty Mesa.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm like, oh, okay, he's going to transform into something and we're going to see him in another form to show that he's also part monster, just like now, like they're perfect for you.
Speaker 3: Like his dad, like he gets that, he exactly, You're going to come see his dad.
Speaker 1: Yes, Dragon and Beast together like taking on umah.
Speaker 2: And I'm like okay this and then he just jumps into the water and starts treading water and it's like hey stop, And.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, what the just happened?
Speaker 3: First of all, this is what I'm gonna bring back the Killer Well, I literally put in my subritases. We're just gonna have to jump to it because it's just so okay right now.
Speaker 4: I was waiting for like a meg.
Speaker 3: To come out of note Like now, I mean, why don't we just do the trifecta of.
Speaker 1: Like it's like, yeah, I conversation we've talked.
Speaker 3: About ocean is not my thing. I don't like to be in the ocean by myself. I'm so scared of sharks. That's just not my jam.
Speaker 4: So first of all, it's completely black.
Speaker 3: We've got a giant octopus and a dragon that like just my anxiety was like why would you ever do that?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 3: Are you now the meg who we haven't even seen since now in the movie is about to come.
Speaker 4: And get all of you at the same time.
Speaker 2: That's what's gonna You're just adding a shark in your mind.
Speaker 3: I'm adding, I don't even know what there's no Disney movie where that comes from. But like it just makes sense because you're in blackwater and that is never a place to jump into.
Speaker 1: I just I just didn't get it. He roars, he jumps into the water.
Speaker 2: And then he just sits between them and treads water and says stop where It's like, so now you've just given Now you're just a hostage if if Uma decides to get and you've just made it worse if she decides to attack. So I didn't understand, Like, yeah, like what did you just do. So, yeah, there's a meg down exactly, and in Sabrina's mind, you're also being surrounded by sharks. So yeah, he just jumps in the water with the girls to just tell them to stop fighting. They need to respect each other and be brave enough to be friends. He promises Uma that he'll make the conditions on the island better, but instead of trusting him, she hands him the ring with her tentacle tip and then swims away. Ben reboards the ship to applause because he didn't drown because he I don't know, but mal reappears smiling. No one even says, hey, you were a dragon? How crazy is that?
Speaker 1: Nope, didn't even bring that up in any way, shape.
Speaker 2: Or for it.
Speaker 3: Well, they had they had one. They had one moment with Evie that it was.
Speaker 1: She's I didn't even know, I know I could do that. She said to me either either, and then puts out her dress. Very cute. But no one else was like, hey, so you're a dragon. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe they're not that surprised because at the last royal event they had her mom was also one.
Speaker 4: Right, maybe they're just like so phased, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: But also as rules guy, and you need rules for everything. Why is changing into a dragon change her outfit?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, the outfits changed randomly.
Speaker 3: It changed in the There are outfits randomly changed in the EV and Mal song too.
Speaker 4: They just randomly were in like different outfhas.
Speaker 2: Well that makes sense though. They're like, hey, we're friends, We're going to be friends forever. Let's go to the closet and change and sing a song, whereas this one is like, hey, I'm sorry, Yes that makes.
Speaker 4: Is that what you think?
Speaker 1: Yes, that.
Speaker 4: Makes sense, that's what you think.
Speaker 2: Like look at each other, like, hey, before we sing a song real quick about how close we are, Let's just go and change real quick. Isn't that a normal girls thing? You and your friends before you held hands in song songs about how you're going to be together forever. Didn't stop for a wardrobe change. Come on, suprime.
Speaker 4: No, no, well no I disagree.
Speaker 1: I think you did. I think you did.
Speaker 2: And then you had a pillow fight and talked about boys. That's what girls do.
Speaker 1: It's a mountain.
Speaker 2: Sorry, am I thinking about girls from the fifties that never exist?
Speaker 4: I know, I'm like, what aver that never happened?
Speaker 2: In the history of the world. But I was like, why is seriously yelling at the screen? Why did becoming a dragon changer?
Speaker 1: Dress?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But anyway, Yes, so reboards. Everybody's clapping. Mal reappears smiling. No one says you were a dragon or anything, and she didn't even know she could do that, but everyone treats it like it's no big deal. The ceremony starts all over now with less monster octopuses or octopi. Actually it's octopuses by the way, and Evie has a request. She wants to reach back to the island to help Dizzy. Benci's no problem with that, but Evie isn't done. There's actually a lot of kids on the island who would love oradon and they deserve a chance. So she promises him a list of names, and he says it'll make it happen. Also a brilliant way to bring in new characters that we're going to see in future movies.
Speaker 1: And the boat captain found mel spellbook.
Speaker 2: Instead of hanging on to it all this time, she decides to give it to the fairy Godmother to keep in the museum forever, retiring her devious abilities, and with that we got our final song You and Me, a tale of bold and brave love not just between Mel and Ben, but now all of our couples, even Lonnie.
Speaker 1: And Jay seem to be hitting it off.
Speaker 2: So it's a big number everyone dancing on a water filled boat and watching fireworks as an EDMDJ plays what do we think.
Speaker 1: Of this big ending?
Speaker 2: Did you like the big water splashing and Coreata.
Speaker 4: Viewing so much of it because I'm like, oh, Will getting his water ditch.
Speaker 2: I love when they dance in water for no reason, step up two the streets.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what I'm saying exactly. I loved it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was like a great Kenny Ortega finale of amazing dancers visual you know, visuals with the water, the way that they I mean, the partner work that they did it was it was a very high end technique kind of routine, like what the dancers were doing were hard, what they were doing it and dancing in water is not easy and not busting yours all the time, like.
Speaker 1: Well this is where I saw? Was it? Cameron? At one point he jumps jumps from like a stare.
Speaker 4: Or step like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then lands in a split. It was like all in water. It was like, oh my god, yes.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think they did such fun stuff. This was like a really fun way to end the movie. And I started to go ahead and just go, you know what I can get over. I guess I can get over ursula be normal sized next to the boat, just farther away, like I could get over that.
Speaker 1: And it was great.
Speaker 4: I thought it was good.
Speaker 3: It wasn't my favorite song again, I mean, we started off with my favorite song. What's my Name I think is the name of it. That's just so good.
Speaker 1: So the first one is We're.
Speaker 4: Right sorry we hit it in the beginning.
Speaker 3: I want the first couple, first couple of songs really sunk into me, set the tone. But it was great, a great song.
Speaker 1: I saw a couple things.
Speaker 2: First of all, I thought that the spacing of the musical numbers in this movie was strange. There was some big gaps in between there. There'd be one or two right in a row, and then there'd be giant gaps where until there was another one.
Speaker 1: So I thought.
Speaker 3: That that goes along with we're used to watching these musicals round that ninety minute mark.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they got two.
Speaker 4: Close to a two hour movie.
Speaker 3: That you're that that tempo, it's like the tempo of of it, you know, within that space scene that's gonna be different. So I think that's where it lies. But we you know, there's definitely some things that would have been totally fine to leave out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing I noticed about this Final Dance is there was a lot of very wide shots which I liked, that were very reminiscent to me of like original West Side Story, where you get kind of these higher up, wider shots where you're really seeing like they're basically there are times, especially Evie, they're looking right at the camera. Yeah, it's like they're they're part of a big dance company and you're seeing the entire thing going, and then you're cutting in for individual moves and individual shots. But they had some of the big, the big kind of old school music.
Speaker 4: Halls, and I loved it.
Speaker 3: I loved it for this movie specifically because that's how we ended the first movie too.
Speaker 4: This is what I this is.
Speaker 1: What I big numbers. It's always how you end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And but same thing with those big shots, you'd get the really cool, like whatever the set is, you know, you get a vibe of like just a big crazy energy, and we did it the same same way the first movie was so I love that again.
Speaker 4: We're getting that again.
Speaker 1: You know me too in the second movie, me too. I thought it was great, but we're not done. There's one more scene.
Speaker 2: Dizzy is in her workshop when a handful of Oredon officials enter with Ben's invite off the island to go and join the school. She gleefully accepts, which is a very happy moment, but on a less happy ending. We get one last look at the ocean and then uma octopus monster emerges. She looks directly at the camera and devilishly asked the audience if they really thought that was the end of the story.
Speaker 1: It obviously isn't.
Speaker 2: That's our movie, but a great tease for Descendants three or twa again in France, in France where this is big descend. So it's time for our real reviews, and I think this week I have the joy of the one star review. This is from Devin L. I thought this movie was inappropriate for Disney Studios. I love the movie that there was too much physical contact for my children to watch. What what does that mean? Just straight up physical con nobody's made. There's one kiss there might be some hugging. Nope, there's nobody lying down, grinding on anybody, like what what not even.
Speaker 4: A little bit? I mean, she better not. What was our last movie?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Wish upon a Star.
Speaker 4: I cannot be watching Star because gonna like this six scenes. Yeah, this isn't even like PG. Thirteen.
Speaker 1: This is so g rated, perfect, perfect amount. It was. There wasn't a problem with that. Our our producer Lisa is right.
Speaker 2: You just wrote Harry, Harry the hook singing he'd eliminate and debilitate someone. Didn't upset her more than quote unquote touching. Yes, that is absolutely true. That's always the way it is. So you have the five star this week, and.
Speaker 3: This seems like the review I would do. All right, it is by bizar h. This is the best movie. I wish I was in this movie.
Speaker 4: Agreed.
Speaker 3: At least some people got a chance to be in this movie. I'm a nine year old girl. I just love this movie. This was incredible. I listened to every song. Thanks for all your hard work.
Speaker 4: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of says it. Thanks. That's a very as student from a nine year old.
Speaker 2: And now we come, of course, to Sabrina's favorite portion of program. This is our feature game of the week, and this one we have now, Sabrina, I hope you kill this because I this one's called obscure. Disney's not every character for the world's most popular movie studio is as popular as Mickey Haha or Minnie or Goofy.
Speaker 1: Some are a little more obscure.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get the description of an off the Beaten Path Disney character, and we have to guess who they're talking about. Three out of five win. I think it's the name of some obscure one. Do we have producer Jensen today or do we have somebody else with us today?
Speaker 4: We have MICHAELA.
Speaker 1: Oh, Mikayla's with us today. At least when we lose.
Speaker 2: It'll be in a much softer, nicer tone than when producer Jensen joins us. Okay, so number one, this is Lady and the Tramp's son from the hardly known sequel to Lady in the Tramp. Is it a pup b spot Ce, Scamp or d Buster?
Speaker 1: What do you got, Sabrina, Oh.
Speaker 4: I think it's Scamp.
Speaker 1: I'm going to agree. I'm going to agree with you. I don't know either, but I'm gonna say it's.
Speaker 4: A scam, or I say I think I'll go scam. You're right, it is yes.
Speaker 1: One for us. Okay.
Speaker 2: Number two, This tiny crook sells pirated DVDs of other Disney movies in a z Utopia cameo. There's a whole lot of words there I don't understand in a row. Is it a Duke Weasleton, B, Captain, cheapskate, ce, Prince, Priceless or.
Speaker 4: D Sneaky beat Sneaky Pete.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer, but it's such an awesome name. Part of me hopes it's right, and part of me hopes producer Jensen just made it up. But I want to go with Duke Weaseleton just because it's an awesome name.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna say a Duke Weaselton. You're right. Well, oh my gosh, I was totally making up because Sneaky.
Speaker 4: Pet just got into this new this movie is Utopia.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's good. I've never seen it. Duke Weaselton, what a great name. Number three.
Speaker 2: This purple dragon is the cult favorite mascot for Epcot Orlando. Is it a tally Wag, B Palette, C friendly or D figment?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'll go a D figment.
Speaker 2: I guess it is D figment, figment because it's the figment of your imagination, the little purple dragon.
Speaker 1: I still have my figment? Am I?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Purple? Wait?
Speaker 4: Where is it?
Speaker 2: It was the he was the mascot of all of Epcot Center was figment, which is this tiny little purple dragon because he's supposed to be a figment of everybody's imagination. Okay, and so that I am somehow three for three people they know?
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't know how. That is number four?
Speaker 2: Another thief, this bumbling moron adopts Oliver before Jenny comes along in Oliver and Company. Yi is a shen Zi b Amos, ce Fagan or d tell your ride.
Speaker 1: I'll go first this time. I won't make you pick every time.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer, but I'm gonna guess, b Amos, it's my guess.
Speaker 3: I actually think I want to go with that one too, Okay, Amos, Yeah, Okay, you're wrong.
Speaker 2: It is C.
Speaker 1: Hagan. Okay, Hagan, I have not seen that.
Speaker 2: I already won, because three out of five this is all just this is all this the joy trying to help me. Number five these hired henchmen try and kidnap the Dalmatian puppies for Corella in one hundred and one Dalmatians? Is it a Jose and Azzi, b Adonis and Randy, See Hugh and mung Or, D Jasper and Horace.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I haven't seen it since I was a kid. I know I'm gonna say, see Hugh and mung.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do D Jasper and Horace. You're correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we both won. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See when Jensen's not here, good vibes happen. And thank you, mkayl I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Can we do some Sabrina sease?
Speaker 2: We can?
Speaker 3: It starts right at the top when we come out of Mouth's daydream, when the when the the reporter is asking her all these like quick questions, and then the last one is is.
Speaker 4: Your mother still a lizard?
Speaker 1: Is your mother still a lizard?
Speaker 3: I had a lot to say about the talking dog, but we've already gone through that, so we will move on.
Speaker 4: The like the chillen like a villain. I felt was again.
Speaker 3: We talked a little bit, but the old school Kenny Ortega just getting into it gave me a lot of thriller esque vibes within their like movement, and I loved it. Yes, it did like the shoulders they like lean to the side like the There was a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: That they did which was awesome. We didn't talk about it.
Speaker 3: I thought you would absolutely hit this is our crown got an upgrade. I don't know if you remember that.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but we didn't like it. Right, It was.
Speaker 3: Like of twenty five cent crown that you would get from like a claw machine. It was so it was so awful. The crown got an upgrade. However, did it seem to have been fitted to our Ben character because it didn't write shiny head and this giant crown that like had so much space around it. So although it got a it got a great upgrade. It looked ginormous on his head. Uh did you notice another Easter egg? We didn't mention this one, but it was a remake of kiss the Girl when they were doing the waltz him much.
Speaker 1: I did see that there was another one. There was kissing the girl. There was something else that was great.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was another one. I don't think I wrote it down.
Speaker 1: Though there was something else. We saw another like Easter egg.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I did love that.
Speaker 3: That was such a great again if you're a Disney fanatic and you got to see it. And then we literally went through all of my spiencies. This movie was just so good. There was just so much to say, so like, I can't I couldn't, Like I literally all everything that.
Speaker 4: We went through.
Speaker 1: You couldn't criticize it. I know.
Speaker 3: It was just it's like we already talked about it. I couldn't hold myself back and do it. But the last thing was what did what did you This is more of a question to you, what did you think about the scene where they all sit down and have this powow the conversation and he's like, no, yes, what did you think about? Was actually said to me. It was kind of like, why are they acting like Ben's been this bad guy and he can't see who you are.
Speaker 4: It's like more so like.
Speaker 3: No, mal, why don't you like open your eyes here and see that this guy's a great guy. He definitely loves you, And I think this is a you thing. I don't think this is a Hymn thing.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of times where he was also apologizing for stuff that he didn't do right.
Speaker 3: And that that was like that, I feel like that was a miss like a point missed on what the like because we get there at the end, she said the reason why I didn't tell you I loved you was because of me, Like that was a thing. Her advice from her friends wasn't really necessarily like that. It was like, look, if he doesn't like you for where you are, homie could kick rocks, like.
Speaker 1: Let's just get loved with good advice from your friends. But to.
Speaker 3: Exactly, he wasn't treating her bad ever, not once he went all the way over to a place where he should not have been.
Speaker 1: To apologize for something he didn't do.
Speaker 3: To apologize for something he didn't do, he got captured, then came back, and then like still you're upset, Like what does this guy gotta do? I mean, he gave you a purple moped. You clearly forget everything about all the promises with the picnics like mal come on.
Speaker 4: As a friend, but I think this is a you know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Also, though it's a little kind of stereotypical that she kind of realizes how much she's in love with him when she sees him with another woman.
Speaker 3: Yes, but sometimes that's what it takes.
Speaker 2: But it's like it is it or is it just like, well, now I want him because somebody else does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I do think that she showed up ready to like have that now that she's comfortable, she's ready to be in her own skin, she's ready to do that.
Speaker 4: So she showed up. And then yes, I mean they hit it over the head with the with the new thing.
Speaker 3: But you know, it is more so like this friendship talk because I think again, like I think looking at what I want my kids to see and Disney Channel is the best way to like have these like kind of conversations of how to interact with your friends. And to me, I'm like, we needed to be a little bit harshrn Mel. We need to see that this is a hurt issue. This is not ben This is you girl, this is you, I love you.
Speaker 1: This is this is a mal problem. This is a problem.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you, Sabrina. And now of course it is time that we rate our lovely film.
Speaker 1: And I know what are we.
Speaker 4: Going to how what is it?
Speaker 2: First of all, let's decide this week to go one to ten, okay, and we'll make one the worst okay, got it.
Speaker 1: So our option this week is it.
Speaker 2: One to ten fields to play at a cotillion. One to ten nerdy assistant love interests. One to ten very poorly hidden mopeds, fake hooks, to be like your dad, goth high schoolers. One to ten spray painted masterpieces, reasonable island, political and economical beliefs.
Speaker 1: One to ten female fencers.
Speaker 2: One to ten useless storylines for guys named Chad, or one to ten fire breathing dragons no big deal, which uh nbdd.
Speaker 3: I think I want to go with the useless story for guys' Chad because it's just it was really.
Speaker 4: I kept and I like his character.
Speaker 3: Hopefully in the future we're gonna see his character is gonna develop.
Speaker 4: That's the only thing I.
Speaker 2: Can Your idea to Kim going to the island and then that squeaky clean Chad guy going and living on the island and getting more dirty.
Speaker 1: That's that's totally what you gotta do with the character.
Speaker 3: That's a great I love it, But so we're gonna go if you don't mind, we're gonna go with that.
Speaker 2: I don't mind at all, and I think I rated first last time, So it is your turn to rate the film. What how many useless storylines for guys named Chad do you give this film?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm in love with this franchise. I think this is all things Disney needs on the channel, on Disney Plus, on ABC. I'm down with it being on I'm down with it being across every single platform out there. I am a Disney fanatic. I love that I go to Disneyland just to find Easter eggs sometimes, Like I really love this kind of uh proud Disney girld. I am in a Disney adult and I think the way they are so again all of the stuff that we got from Ursula and all that. Yeah, it was weird to see fish and chips, but like whatever, Like it's cute that she has like a you know, her own restaurant.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: I the only thing I feel like was hard for me was that extra amount of time over the ninety minutes. I think that if those small little things had been just tightened up and taken out, it would have been a little bit of a better watch for me. Because now I am used to I am we are doing these ninety minute movies over and over and over again, and it's like when it's not that it's hard. And I wasn't going to watch a feature film. I was going to watch a Disney dcom. So that's the only thing that was like a hard knock for me. Other than that, I'm giving this a nine. Uh useless storylines for guys name Chad nine.
Speaker 1: A nine. That's a solid nine. That's a good, solid nine. That's good.
Speaker 2: That's a good score. I agree with you totally. I think it's too long a little bit. It's a wonderful franchise. It is so Disney. It's bright, it's colorful.
Speaker 1: The music is good, the acting is good, the dancing is good. I'm engaged with the characters. I like the world they've built.
Speaker 2: Some of the rules get a little muddled, but I like the world that they built. That being said, I had two problems with this film. The first is the length. It was too long. They could have cut a bunch of stuff. It's not even a Tenson span stuff. It's just keep it moving. It's a Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 1: Keep it moving.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: Number two the problem I had is the special effects at the end were not very special. And because of those two, I am going to knock it down half a point and I'm going to give it eight point five. Wowtylines, it was it had the movie tightened by fifteen minutes, and had they been able to bump up those effects just a little bit, this could easily have been a nine point five to me.
Speaker 1: This was again for it is they're great.
Speaker 4: Thing different than her turning into an octopus. That's like the same.
Speaker 2: I get why they're doing it, but then you gotta you gotta make it look decent. I mean, it's it when it takes you out, when you have the The dragon doesn't look very good the but I thought that I.
Speaker 4: Was given the dragon props. It was so much better than the first one. That shouldn't be that.
Speaker 2: Your baseline shouldn't be that it was better than the last one, which was awful.
Speaker 1: So it just and again we don't know.
Speaker 2: As the movies get up there, the movies are gonna start getting thirty forty fifty million dollar budgets. When that starts to happen, yeah, then you're talking a whole new world.
Speaker 1: So a whole new Oh.
Speaker 4: I've got to do one more Sabritas seas because this is a big one.
Speaker 1: Guy, see it up.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: I've got to add this one in because this is a good little, uh little moment. So I Kara sung because we did talk. We didn't really talk this this one. This movie as much about the wardrobe and how phenomenal the wardrobe is. It is to me, I think this wardrobe Trump's zombies words, and it is so good.
Speaker 4: It is so cool.
Speaker 3: I wanted like every piece of wardrobe that came out for like a character or for a Halloween costume.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is so good, so good little thing with her.
Speaker 3: So my manager had seen her and watched her season she was on Project Runway, and my manager was like, she's perfect, She's got like this like costume thing. So we actually used her for our second or our last tour, and that was before The Descendants came out. And so and I know Kenny came and saw our tour and he came to kind of critique and help us, like just anything that we he thought we could tighten up and stuff. So it's interesting to know that like he whether or not this is how he got the connection or but we were her kind of first, like tiptoe, And yeah, we got to because she would be amazing to talk to because I and that tour. I would say was one of my favorite costumes that we wore while we were on tour.
Speaker 4: She was so great, So.
Speaker 3: That was like a little thing that I'm in. My manager Melissa messaged me a couple of nights going away, do you remember her? And I was like, yeah, because she's the one that was on she.
Speaker 4: Did your guys tour. I'm like, no way, these are the best.
Speaker 3: Truly, I think at this point the best costumes we've seen.
Speaker 1: Disagree Channel so fun, I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: So great. So then we're getting let's start to get Oh wait, producer Lisa saying, did we mention who the voice of Ursula was?
Speaker 1: Who was the voice of Ursula?
Speaker 7: It was?
Speaker 1: Who it was? I didn't know that at all. Whoopi Goldberg. I did not know that Whoopyberg to be added? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you everybody so much for joining us on what was a very fun episode of very fun week, very fun movie of magical rewind Let's hope we keep it going next week because we got a cool one. We hope we're back with the hardwood for a basketball movie.
Speaker 1: But this one is quite the twist. It's a Jewish hoops movie.
Speaker 2: Set during Hanukkah. This is two thousand and threes Full Court Miracle. Yup, you heard me right, So go and check it out on Disney Plus and find out if this is even a real movie or not I think it is and report back to us. All right, but before we get into that film, join us on the Magical rewind feed. For all of our park Opper episodes, we've interviewed some of the best people ever, ever ever in d COM's and all the Disney stuff. They were always there for you to check out. And while you're there, don't forget to check out. Get your head in the game. That is Bart Johnson's brand new podcast where he is going to be deep diving everything High School Musical. We cannot wait, it's all there. They really are some of the best interviews about everything Disney.
Speaker 1: You will not be disappointed.
Speaker 2: And for more information, of course, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. And apparently it matters what you type in, because man, I found some weird stuff by accident.
Speaker 6: Thanks everybody, Bye bye.
Speaker 7: Hey Wildcats. It's Bart Johnson. You may know me as Coach Bolton from the High School Musical franchise. Can you believe it's been almost twenty years since we first hit the course at oldiest.
Speaker 1: High Well, celebrate.
Speaker 7: I'm sitting down with some of your favorite cast members, producers, dancers, choreographers and or to bring you the ultimate behind the scenes look at high school musical So Wildcats, join me on my new podcast, Get your Head in the Game, and let's go back to where it all began. Listen to Magical Rewind on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hello, it's Danielle Fischl, Wright Strong and Wilfredell from Podmets World and we're bringing.
Speaker 1: You Viva Lost content.
Speaker 8: That's right, we are back in Las Vegas, the city of Sin and giving the people what they want. Full week of y two K content.
Speaker 1: Wait, we're back in Vegas? Tell me why? Well, for the Backstreet Boys residency.
Speaker 4: It's sphere.
Speaker 1: Of course, we sat.
Speaker 2: Down with Kevin Richardson and Ajmclean just minutes before they took the stage, and our very own Wilfredell basically became the newest member of the band.
Speaker 8: Boy band Please Plus, the man who has the longest running comedy show on the strip joins us and gets his props.
Speaker 1: It's Carrot Top Baby, and finally we all l O V e her.
Speaker 2: Ashley Simpson Ross joins us to talk about her upcoming sold out Vegas residency.
Speaker 8: It's a full week of nostalgic interviews you don't want to miss.
Speaker 2: Listen to Podmeats World on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.